Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  August 10, 2016 4:44am-7:01am EDT

4:44 am
senator for the great state of maryland, chris van hollen. [applause] rep. van hollen: good afternoon everybody. it's great to be with all of you. thank you for your career leadership -- for your terrific leadership at the baltimore urban league. asad the great privilege, president henderson said, just earlier this week on tuesday, to join with him and they had of the urban league when we opened and entrepreneurship center in west baltimore. to try and grow more small businesses, more minority owned businesses, and help support those that are already started to grow even faster so we can have more jobs and more capital formation in baltimore city, and
4:45 am
similar cities around the country. that was a department of labor investment reaching out to partner with the private sector. i am excited about being part of the success in baltimore. privilege several months ago of addressing the urban league during its legislative policy conference in washington dc at the invitation of mark morreale, who's doing a great job. it was on occasion of her the release of the report, the state of america. if you look at those reports, you know that you have a lot of work to do in united states of america to achieve the promise of equal rights and equal justice. and we have to do it on an urgent basis. here inor cardin said,
4:46 am
baltimore we experience the tragedy of freddy gray. not an isolated incident. said,sident obama has it's not a wake-up call, because we should have already been well awake to the whole series of issues we have to attack with urgency. beginning with things like lead paint abatement, whether in baltimore city, or flint, michigan. things like police accountability and transparency. beginning with criminal justice reform and ending the scandal of mass incarceration. also dealing with the fundamental issues of opening the doors to educational economicty for all and opportunity for everybody. those are all issues we have to address in this country with urgency. i do want to salute president
4:47 am
obama because compared to where we were in 2008, the economy has helped recover. we have seen steady job growth, consistent job growth for a long time. difference compared to where we would have been. we all know, and the president has said we need to make progress. on equality or educational opportunity, at the core is the issue of voting and voting rights. saw in annapolis in january, the state legislature passed legislation to make sure that returning citizens would have their right to vote restored. hogane governor, governor vetoed that legislation.
4:48 am
and it was only because the legislature then had the votes to override the governor's veto that today in maryland returning citizens have their rights restored. so the makeup of the legislatures and governorships are critical in this battle for voting rights around the country. across the potomac river, we see the opposite situation. you see the governor terry mcauliffe expanding the right to vote for those who have served their time. -- while theaight state legislature in virginia is trying to block it. in north carolina, we've seen within hours of the supreme court striking down a big part of the voting rights act, where they moved forward to enact more barriers to voting. within hours of that decision, you had one of the leaders in the north carolina
4:49 am
legislature say, and i quote, "now we can go with a full bill." what did they mean? they had a bill that would erect a lot of barriers to voting. they knew that bill would never pass preclearance under the voting rights act. they would have to go with something else. the minute the supreme court struck down core provisions of the voting rights act, the north carolina legislature moved forward with that bill to increase barriers to voting. is juste the good news recently the fourth circuit overturned that north carolina law. and it will return the loss as we have seen -- overturned the laws in other states as well. [applause] is becausee bad news the voting rights act provisions were struck down, we now have to be in a response mode simply
4:50 am
protecting existing voting rights in states like texas and north carolina. laws that would never have gone through the regular preclearance process. it's essential that congress pass a new voting rights act to restore the provisions for preclearance. since that provision was struck have about 22 states actually passed laws to create more impediments to voting. you, i rather be in a position where we are working to expand voting rights by increasing the amount of time people can vote. the kind of thing we have worked to do in maryland. and instead because of the voting rights provision struck down, we are spending our time simply protecting existing rights from those who want to
4:51 am
take them away. i am so glad we are gathered here to focus on this fundamental question. we are in an election year. people understand what is at stake. it's really sad when you have one political party trying to win elections in the u.s., in our democracy, through subtraction, rather than through addition. elections bywin keeping voters from exercising their right to vote as opposed to win elections by expanding the circle, encouraging more americans to vote. make no mistake. when donald trump talks about what he meansns, is that he doesn't like elections where more people go out and vote. that's what he means by that. [applause] as the president said in
4:52 am
response to different comments at the democratic convention, and i'd say this regardless of party affiliation -- we aren't going to boo, we're just going to go out and vote. all the issues i talked about at the beginning -- building a means equal opportunity -- all of those issues depend on everybody getting out to vote and breaking down barriers to voting. we all know that at this point in our history, it's a fundamental choice between whether or not we want to continue to make progress to build a more perfect union. theand the ark -- to bend ark of the universe towards justice, or go backwards. it's great to see people in a room focused on the shore we exercise our rights to vote so that we continue to move forward
4:53 am
in the united states. the urban league for all that you do to make our country more fair and just. thank you for all in this room for playing a part in that great endeavor. thanks for a much. take care. [applause] ♪ mr. hendrson: we greatly appreciate your strong words of encouragement and support for the issues that impact our community. moving on, please welcome our moderator for today's panel discussion, ceo of mallory consulting and community activist. [applause] ♪ host: good afternoon. ladies and gentlemen, enough cannot be said about the importance of having our voices heard. oftentimes it's too easy to say,
4:54 am
my vote will count, or i'm only one person, so it doesn't matter whether or not i vote. on the contrary, we are gathering here today to discuss the fact that your votes do matter. joining me at this time to shed light on this very relevant concern is a dynamic team of analysts. stephen green is the national director of the youth and college division of the national association for the advancement of colored people, the naacp. [applause] he oversees an army of more than 30,000 young activists across 800 active youth councils and college chapters throughout the nation. now you can give him around plus. [applause] carter, president of the national action network youth
4:55 am
movement. countlessked with families who have been victims of police brutality and is working with one of the largest civil rights organizations in the nation, founded by the reverend al sharpton. [applause] the honorable jared brooks that is a member of the democratic new orleans city council, a lifelong members of district d. he has dedicated his life to serving his community and making new orleans a better place to live. [applause] the former national secretary at sander's16, bernie presidential campaign, a communicator with a great passion for policy and juvenile justice reform. the immediate chair of the coalition for juvenile justice
4:56 am
national youth committee and former member of the federal advisory committee on juvenile justice. let's give the panelists a round of applause. [applause] moderator: simone, i will start with you because you are my sister girl. all hold it down for the ladies. can the crowd wake up for a second? the applause going for real. [applause] moderator: since you said that, let's talk about what's at stake. i want you to throw in the idea that if young people decide they are going to stay home, is there any scenario where either side, either campaign can win? in the presidential race. don't be rolling your eyes.
4:57 am
your first question, no, there's not a scenario in 2016 politics where if young people, anybody under the age of 40 stays home and does not vote, -- i'll say the democrats can be successful. it's not successful for the gop if young people don't stay home either. when black and brown people don't go to the polls, we lose out on our issues. no, there's not a scenario where it works well, especially for democrats, if young people don't go to the polls. if they don't, donald trump will be president of the united states of america, and republicans will sweep local elections across this country. moderator: the first question,, what's at stake? some say that we can afford a donald trump presidency.
4:58 am
-- i work for the democrats. [laughter] whatever. that is not what is at stake in this election. what is at stake is the issues. the issues are what we need to keep front and center. criminalt stake is justice reform, health care, education, jobs for our communities. that's what at stake in this collection. that -- what is at stake is the 34 seats at stake, 24 of which are republican held. you had a candidate, chris van hollen. if you live in maryland, you need to vote. you have eight gubernatorial seats up for reelection. north carolina is one of those. talk about voter suppression. people will talk about holding onto their power. north carolina wasn't just because they don't like black
4:59 am
people, they were trying to hold onto their power. tactics were an attempt to keep the current governor in his seat. that race is now a tossup race where a democrat can become governor of north carolina, november. ins is what is at stake addition to someone like donald trump having his finger on the nuclear button. there's lots of things at stake. moderator: can i ask production to bring questions up on the screen? while they do that, looking at particularly in new orleans and other places, voting down the ballot. we often get caught up in presidential races and don't talk about the importance looking at all these local elections that matter. why don't you talk about that. all elections matter.
5:00 am
i want to thank the urban league. i would like to thank the urban league for the advocacy work. is about what is at stake as it relates to issues that affect everybody. you heard vice presidential nominee tim kaine say yesterday, it's about the elections on a council, about mayor. it's about the house and the senate lieutenant-governor, governor, federal. voting rights is something that our ancestors fought too hard for to say that we will stay at home. have to mobilize each other and demand fences -- and mend fences. he needs to make sure everybody knows what is at stake's.
5:01 am
you have folks on the other side that want us to forget what the 1965 voting rights act did. people who want to change and restore the voting rights act, as senator cardin said earlier. place that arein going to vote for those changes that represent social justice and economic opportunity. so i got to learn a lot about the voting rights act when i was in the statehouse in louisiana. i sat on the governmental affairs. 2010 was redistricting. i started the history of disenfranchisement. trying to fracture of districts. voters would not have the
5:02 am
opportunity of electing the person of their choice, manipulation. board.ination across the regrettably the supreme court's decision, that was struck down. congress has moved to move to and those senators that don't vote for them, they need to be thrown out of office. >> that is right. mr. brossett: we have to continue not only to speak about these issues, but have an action plan on the ground to get our young voters to the polls. it's as simple as that. that should be the playbook. we should see that the voting rights act is restored. group out ofh a new york city.
5:03 am
it's a very diverse group of feel thatle, who some we should not even be voting in this particular election because we get nothing from either side. what i've argued with them is the idea that we go home after electing a presidential candidate, and there is no continued ground game, no sustainable movement. we have the naacp and national network, why don't the two of what is theut pressure needed to ensure that after an elected official gets an office, that we make them do the work? thank you. thanks for this question. we must continue to recognize the greatest form of resistance is not solely what we do in protest but how we engage policy. it is important to recognize
5:04 am
someone on november 8 we need not go home on november 9, but have our demands and nature they are consistent. on the third monday in january, we need to know what we are asking for. we need to continue to show up in representative offices, and be radically responsible. to have an agenda that is clear, that is metrically based. wherere going to wonder we are in mobilize our vote. we want you to know from 2016-2018 that shows that you care about our vote. allow this moment to diminish. people are looking at november 8 as an end goal. that's just the start of the race. we have to be energetic and ride this out. this is early in august. and yet we have seen another
5:05 am
killing and shooting in chicago and baltimore county in the past 72 hours. we must be very cognizant of what's at stake, not just in november but until we get to the freedom and liberation we've been fighting for 400 years and have yet to receive. >> i think is important we hold these candidates accountable for what we expect them to do in office. no matter the outcome of this election, we have to let them know that the battle is not over. we are still going to fight for the issues concerning our community in this country. haveimportantly we have to this information provided not just at a rally or in city hall, but churches and space. so that they are able to get that information and apply it when they go back home. we have to continue this information. policy is important. glad, but mad and
5:06 am
policy is what will stick. we get them in office. i think that is very important. what are some of the issues you think are important? things that candidates have to address, particularly when we look at the nick cannon's of the world, saying i'm not voting. they have a valid point. we can't just grow them to the site. we have to understand the frustration. what are we saying to them about the issues that they care about? two, how do we link it to the presidential election? rme, criminal justice reform is a civil rights issue of the 21st century. you can't run for dog catcher, o and president --let alone
5:07 am
president without telling me how your credit address juvenile justice reform on whatever level. that's at a local level. health care is an issue. obamacare, which is an amazing a compliment we should all celebrate -- there are people that could have not been injured without obamacare. but there at least 29 million americans that are still uninsured, and millions more still underinsured. there are states that have refused to expand medicaid. we need to talk about health care, education, jobs, closing the wealth gap. those are the issues. to david's point about holding saying thatntable, these are our issues, we want to hold people accountable -- i want people to come to a meeting with a strategy. we have to do more than just say
5:08 am
we are holding people accountable. we need a strategy and a plan on how that's going to happen. particularly as black and brown people, that's not something we have consistently done well. we have pressure on the election season. if we don't have a strategy to hold you accountable on november 9. we take our eye off the ball, and here we are. moderator: what is that pressure look like to you? does it look like people rallying outside your office, or other other steps that would move you to do something powerful? go ahead stephen, you were shaking your head. mr. green: i want to talk about protecting voting rights. this is where you see substantive change. you vote on who your prosecutor is, determining the length of sentences.
5:09 am
, across the country as well as your elected school board. i think the rollback of the right to vote. downeem five states strike there are still waters oppressive laws on the books. -- voters oppressive laws on the books. we have to be renewed in this fight. there are people that are still standing in lines until 8:00 p.m., eight hours a day to cast a vote. people that cannot use their id to vote. where the dmv's have been shot down in black counties. that's still the law of the land. protecting the integrity of the vote. we need a constitutional amendment where people are able -- people are unable to profit where people are. the most sacred part of our democracy is at stake. if we have attorneys and
5:10 am
prosecutors that put bracket and brown people -- black and brown people and lock them up. the supreme court made a decision whether or not they can stop you, we have a whole lot of stake. with the supreme court hanging in the balance, the right to vote is the only way to ensure democracy. we need to connect that right to vote to the issues. moderator: councilman, speak to that. what does that pressure look like? oftentimes people walk away going, how do i do it? mr. brossett: civics 101. you get in front of your elected official. not just the rally cry. that's all good and well, but developing white papers, briefs, about what this legislation is.
5:11 am
just educating for information only. is this going to hurt my community, where is this going to be helpful? when i was in the legislature, i authored a bill to have 12-5 early voting on sundays. but it takes people getting in those committee rooms and broadcasting their voice and standing up and making their personal opinions known to the committee. look, everyone does not have a lobbyist. numbersakes strength in coming together, getting on the road and going up the street to the city council chambers. this is our civil rights movement.
5:12 am
president obama is going to be out of office on january 20. he's done a phenomenal job. but this is our job. this is about the trajectory of the united states for generations and generations to come. we have to have everybody involved with the efficacy -- with advocacy. i can't do it alone. i have six other members on the council that i have to get votes from. and you think about the possibility of what the next president will have with possible vacancies on a supreme court, and have sex the voting rights act, how that affects health care, how that affects women's reproductive rights.
5:13 am
we have to mobilize, stand up, speak up and get out. if you don't have a young professional group, it only takes one person. i see some of my own constituents in the audience. [laughter] i see one and her good friends. it just takes one. moderator: to get the spark going. sought-afterre a political mind and consultant. ms. sanders: and unemployed. moderator: i heard that, symone sanders is unemployed. [laughter] go tell that. what is it some of the advice here giving to campaigns, whether on or off the record, about how they need to move from the college campus, talking to young people, to the entrepreneurs and others?
5:14 am
looking at a broad spectrum across the selection. ms. sanders: that's a good question. people mainly call about two things. they want to know about millennials. bernie did a great job with millennials, you are one, so clearly you know. moderator: i am one. even though i'm 36. i'm on the last year. ms. sanders: 126, so i am really a millennial. oh, y excuseou. that was staged. [laughter] call me about activists and folks on the black lives matter movement. jeremy i am the -- apparently i am the black lives matter whisperer. [laughter] when folks ask, how can we engage young people? races, from the presidential to the local, they think of millennials as college
5:15 am
students. no, they have families, they are leaving companies. they are legal counsel. -- they are leading companies. they are multifaceted. we are looking at programming for our urban league chapters. you dynamic programming that speaks to all of your membership up and down the board. i encourage folks to think about millennials holistically. we have to talk about entrepreneurship programs if college is not your thing. matter, of black lives i tell people you have to be willing to get into the room and talk with folks on the ground. too many politicians refuse to sit across the table from these activists. the principles will not go. they will send their policy andle and their advisors young black representatives on their campaign, but not the principles. thetelling you in 2016,
5:16 am
principal has to be willing to sit down in front of these activist, movement leader and have conversation. moderator: am i looking at a wrapup, or is that a question? let's go to the question. oh, i'm sorry. please, if you would like to ask a question, please walk to the microphone. i think the councilman has something to say. mr. brossett: you hear about things that are not going right. shout out to the louisiana legislature. this year they repealed a 142-year-old law that had more stringent requirements for registration on naturalized citizens versus natural born citizens. [applause] and that's progress in louisiana. i want to thank my former colleague, the governor, for
5:17 am
signing the legislation. in addition to another law that was passed, which allowed students at public universities to use their student id cards to vote. awesome.: that's we have a question. >> i am the founder of purchaseblack.com. i have a question surrounding black people's awareness of her power with regard to our vote affecting the electoral college. i saw a study that said in ohio, there was a statistical tie between the democrats and republican presidential candidate. however with the democratic candidate, there was an 88 preference amongst african-americans. meaning that if black people voted in ohio, we would essentially take the people that when windows votes in the electoral college state. how can we tell the people that are votes not only count, but probably count for more?
5:18 am
moderator: that's a good question. i think it's about encouraging people that their vote actually comes, especially black and brown people. i had a conversation last night, talking to them about the electoral college. someone was like, it doesn't matter because the electoral college will decide who will be the next president. matters.! your vote your vote side sides how many votes go to the electoral college. it's extremely important that as black people that we go to the polls. we do have the opportunity to pick the candidate in some instances. if we tie it to the people and tie it to being excited, folks are not going to come up. you don't need to be excited to vote. but you do need to vote.
5:19 am
i'm glad to see so many young people that have not been involved in politics in previous years, but because of how crazy this election has been on many levels, they are asking questions about the electoral college. we never thought about how important that is. talk about that a bit more. there's a lot of argument that the electoral college is made up of wealthy white folks that owned land, and that we have no place in the election once you look at how the electoral college is made up. ms. sanders: i do not purport to be an expert. are there wealthy white people that only in the electoral college? yes. primaries, people in various states voted. it wasn't until after people voted that delegates, actual
5:20 am
delegates were allotted to candidates. same thing in the general election, instead of general candidates, we get electoral college votes. shout out to omaha, nebraska. omaha congressional district to gave one of the electoral college votes to of president obama. we did that because black people went to the polls. we are a red state. it counts if you actually show up. in this election, folks are not going to go to the polls if they are excited. it's not going to make you feel hallelujah, this is my candidate. you have to talk about the issues and vote with the issues. part of a young professional group. i recently heard commentary
5:21 am
where one of the gentlemen made a reference to knowing the fact that african-americans are primarily voting democratic, make sure thato our vote matters, in some states that lean democratic, there is a , thatteed win african-americans should not vote democratic. but in competitive states where it could be a tossup, then african-americans should vote democratic, with the logic in the same states, that if we are leaning heavily towards democratic candidates, that we need to emphasize that our vote is not a guarantee. he naacp? is it's important to note each party has taken black people for granted in this election. [applause]
5:22 am
goes back to the earlier question about the electoral college. where is the ground game to educate black and brown people about the issues? long the democratic party has counted the black vote already and taken it for granted because it's the party of kennedy -- this is the party of 2016. someone who puts black and brown people in prison for multiple years for crimes they have not committed. this is a completely different landscape in this country. we need to understand our votes cannot be taken for granted. we will not be part. -- we will not be bought. we will not be sold. moderator: we have to be responsible with our rhetoric. we did not put anybody in jail. mr. green: and the black caucus supported the bill. -- i understand
5:23 am
the climate was different. but there is blood on both ends of these parties. people have to vote our conscious and recognize who will represent the issues in 2016. are in a good place to hold people accountable. we now have the most radical progressive platform this country has ever seen. thank you symone. okay, you got a little affirmation there. he said some radical language that i like, that there is blood on both ends. about that. -- talk about that. say does that mean, when we we have to vote, and people say there is blood on both ends. what do we say to them?
5:24 am
mr. carter: think about what we've gone through with freddie gray in baltimore. baltimore has lost hope. they felt as though there was no point of engaging with this process. there was no point of actually going out and getting your voice heard. , at the end of the day it would not be heard i'm not saying it wouldn't. when i talked to community members, this is what they thought. what we do is when we demand that this be done or that this policy be engaged, that we need to educate those that don't understand how to engage the process. you said lot on both hands. -- blood on both hands. we have to take our time and understand who has displayed on their hands. the republican party, or the democratic party, you have to talk about whoever was leaving the senate were president at the
5:25 am
time. what did they stand behind? what did they support? that's what will lead us into finding out who's the best candidate to support our issues. ms. sanders: i want to go back to philadelphia. he heard some folks say that some people should vote republican in places that "don't matter." i am paraphrasing. >> [indiscernible] ms. sanders: right, and things like jill stein. i want folks to understand, when you go to cast her ballot, people have done work to get on that ballot. i can just pop up and pay a fee and my name will be on the ballot. you have to do work and pay fees to be on the ballot. i believe that as
5:26 am
african-american woman, that is black people in this country, i don't have the luxury of a protest vote. [applause] too many people fought and died for my right to vote. there are too many things at stake. because of that, jill stein might not be on the ballot in some places across the country. gary johnson might not be on the ballot in some places in the country. you have to use your vote to affect change where we have it. we currently live in a two-party system. need toike another, we organize and plan for 2020 or the next election so you can have a viable candidate. we have a two-party system currently. hillary clinton and donald trump will be at the top. we have many people down ballot we need to vote for. you need to vote your conscious. if we are voting on the issues, one, he probably won't for
5:27 am
donald trump, and two, there are lots of folks down ballot you won't vote for. moderator: this is nonpartisan. >> i work for the naacp. we are nonpartisan. moderator: you are going to get us in trouble. [laughter] >> i don't have anything to do with that. [laughter] good afternoon. with thevirginia beach hampton roads chapter of the in professionals. -- the young professionals. you answered my question, but opening up to the panel, how realistic is looking at third parties, not as mentioned, are -- have notily necessarily put in the amount of work that a republican or democrat has? is that a viable option?
5:28 am
looking online, some people are starting to consider. like you all mentioned, there aren't a lot of people that are interested or excited about trump ordinary. -- about trump or hillary. someone started the independent party besides the republican and democrat, summer started a movement, and it only takes one improvement. -- it only takes one person. you that by engaging and educating. just to go back -- back to the point about third parties and independents effecting changes, whether republican or democrat being elected. many of you are aware what happened in 2000, right? we woke up one morning, then what? things changed. president george bush was appointed by the supreme court.
5:29 am
vice president al gore had the most votes. to organizentinue and make sure that we are putting people in office that represent our values at the first judiciary, and people that are going to look out for our futures. that's what this boils down to. look, it starts with a movement. you want to begin another party? go and start one. >> this is also about the candidates and those running. we need to do a better job at ofreasing our pipeline, black and brown qualified people that can run for office. [applause] we should not have to deal with next?ost obama, who'se kind of thing. we have too much talent amongst , too manymmunities
5:30 am
people into much talent to go untapped. let's get a twitter >> last question in the audience. >> my question is more focused on not who is at the top of the party because it seems like no matter who we elect, we're going to have negative outcomes. how do we hold the folks accountable for implementing the laws that whoever is in office signs? to me, that is more of a problem. barack obama is at the top of all of our tickets, yet we are seeing things like -- i am for
5:31 am
barack. let me be clear about that. still we find and we see negative outcomes in our own ismunities what i believe based on again who is implementing and carrying out these laws in our communities. before whether or not the particular states are even abiding by anything or even federal mandates. when we look at the police accountability issue, there are no federal mandates across the board to challenge what's happening there. things like that, that's where we have to elevate the conversation. we have to hold people accountable who are caring out these practices that are pressing communities of color . >> we have to be committed to voting down ballot. made that clear,
5:32 am
i think we need to be committed to voting down ballot. so many people will go to the polling place and check the box for president and will not check the box for their county commissioner, their state .ttorney could they wan they won't check the box for the mayor. number 2 -- more than just educating ourselves, we have to be ready to run campaigns locally. chicago is our best example. please chime in, but states attorney anita alvarez let multiple folks walk. brownwere black and people being shot down in the streets of chicago and nobody was held accountable. they organized a campaign and anita is gone. out.voted her
5:33 am
criminal justice reform is your issue and pul police accountability is your issue, then we have to be ready to issue campaigns and not just social media activism, but we do not ever move past wha twitter. >> i'm so sad that we do not have more time to talk. thank you to the national urban league for providing us an opportunity to talk about these issues. certainly we know that there is a lot at stake. the bottom line is that nothing will happen with just our vote. it is our vote and are action that counts. we have to be strategized in the living room and the boardroom and also hit the streets to make sure that voices are heard. thank you so very much. [applause] [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2016] [captioning performed by the national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org]
5:34 am
>> today on c-span, donald trump holds a campaign rally in wilmington north carolina. thee speaker paul ryan wins primary in his reelection bid. journal" liven with your phone calls. book tv on c-span 2, 48 hours of nonfiction books and authors every weekend. featuredome programs for this coming weekend. chie chief justicef warren burger is the subject of the book "the burger court and the rise of the judicial right." afterwards was syndicated radio host arguing the country is split into
5:35 am
two. she is interviewed by god benson, fox news contributor. >> it seems and someone he ways that people in flyover nation, although i think they are targeted, you have this yanking back and forth. you have the right and the left pulling them in one direction or another. to support this one issue as you need to support it. politics is affecting whether or not we're going to be able to effector cells -- defend ourselves against a major threat. monique lawrence looks at how some policies are having a negative impact on the lives of black female students. schools andhat other institutions that are supposed to help are the very places that are criminalizing black girls. for theok tv.org complete weekend schedule. >> sunday night on "q&a,"
5:36 am
clinton rayfield talks about his students award-winning documentaries, some of which have been grand prize winners in our annual studentcam competition. schoolhes at jenks high in jenks, oklahoma. kind of teacher who looks at something that is not really good and say, oh that's nice. i will say that's not working . eventually every single one of my kids makes a better piece than what they did in the beginning. s who doly the kid t very well internalized the stuff. i do not say these things to them. it is their brain saying these things to them. >> donald trump talked about his opponent hillary clinton on judicial appointments and the second amendment.
5:37 am
he is introduced by former new york mayor rudy giuliani. from the university of north carolina campus in wilmington, this is an hour and 10 minutes. rudy giuliani: thank you. thank you, seahawks. it is great to be here. it is great to be here in north carolina. you got a great state. you've got a great governor. [applause] you've got an economy that is not being called the carolina comeback. and that economy is based on the principles that you will here
5:38 am
today from donald trump. it is based on common sense republican principles of growth -- low taxes, low regulations, put money back in your pockets instead of having the government take it from you. that is what pat mccrory has done and that is what donald trump will do. i have known pat for a long time. i knew him when he was mayor. he was one of the best mayors in the united states and now he is the best governor and a good friend and you are lucky to have him. when you elect donald trump president of the united states, reelect patrick ree pat mccrory. [applause] campaigned for john mccain
5:39 am
and i have campaigned for george bush and i've campaigns for mitt romney and i've campaign for pat and i've campaign for myself and i've never seen a crowd like this. this is unbelievable. [applause] and by the way, there are more of you outside than inside. i'm sorry. i imagine no one holds you up about a poll, right? so let's have a poll. how many are for donald trump? [cheering] how many are for hillary clinton? [booing]
5:40 am
no, no, no. here is why we are here today. we are here today to beat her and keep her out of washington. [applause] because we allay want to be part of this movement. this 's historic what's going on. it's a revolution. it reminds me of the revolution that ronald reagan brought about in 1980. [applause] revolution, but it's a revolution nonetheless. we want to kick out of washington all those insiders who have been controlling the government for their benefit and have been hurting you for years. [applause]
5:41 am
it is a tight little crowd in washington. i worked there for president ford and for president reagan. it is a tight little crowd in washington and they protect each other. and they don't care about you. they care about themselves. they go into government and the come out of government. they make a lot of money. and they take a lot of your money. and hillary clinton wants to take more of your money. [booing] is the boughtn and paid for candidate of the washington establishment. [booing] she is part of the washington rigged system that excludes all these good people in wilmington, north carolina and in places like wilmington, north carolina.
5:42 am
she does not care about you. she cares about the $150,000-$200,000 speeches she gives to wall street. [booing] $1.2s thinking about the million that ubs gave bill clinton when she made a call to the irs to try to help ubs. in the old days when i was a prosecutor, you want to jail for that. [applause] [laughter] no, no, no. but you know what we have now is -- timing is everything in
5:43 am
politics. timing has always been the most important thing for our country. for a mane right time like donald trump. this is what we need right now. we need a man who isn't bought and paid for. man who has been enormously successful in business. we have already tried one who wasn't. and look what we have. we have got 70% of the american people believing we are i going in the wrong direction. well, you elected somebody who hasn't done anything in his life. he hasn't built a building. he hasn't created a project. he never built a golf course. he never built a tremendous worldwide business.
5:44 am
well, this is what we need right now. we need a man who has done those things. and i can tell you this from reforming new york city, we need somebody to come in with a broom out.lean the damn place [applause] hillary clinton -- no one owns donald trump. he is running because he loves america. because he appreciates what america has made possible for him and his beautiful family and he wants the same thing for you. [applause] he wants to be your voice in washington because you do not have a voice. hillary clinton has been bought
5:45 am
and paid for by the lobbyists, the special interests. donald trump will stand for you. he will be your advocate. he will be your champion. he will be your voice. onis going to lower taxes everyone. well, why lower taxes on the rich? first of all, his biggest tax reductions are going to be for the middle class. they would be for you. but why the lower taxes on the rich? you know why? you lower taxes on the rich, they produce jobs for the poor and the poor become middle-class and the middle class become the rich. that is what america is about. we are not a socialist country. we are not a socialist country.
5:46 am
he is going to cut the corporate tax from 35% to 15%. do you know how much money that's going to bring back to this country? do is raises to taxes. [booing] anna eshoo said -- and as she said a few days ago and the only truthful statement she has made in this campaign, maybe the only truthful statement she has ever made, she said, getting a little carried away in a speech, i'm going to raise taxes on the middle class. [booing] darn right she's going to raise taxes on the middle class because you cannot raise enough money from the rich to pay for the billions and billions and billions of dollars she wants to give to people.
5:47 am
we do not want to hand things to people. we want to put out a hand and help them. revealed that some of those hillary clinton e-mails contain the name of a man named amari. executed by the iranians several days ago. remember hillary clinton told us there was no top-secret information on her e-mails? remember she told us that? well, she lied. and i don't know the connection between that and the
5:48 am
i, but a put amar lot more attention on them when they found those e-mails. it certainly put them at great risk even if they didn't find them. it shows you that when the director of the fbi said she was extremely careless, he was being kind. i used to be a u.s. attorney. she applied for a job as a u.s. attorney with me, i would not be able to hire her. she will not be able to pass an f the odd background check because she was extremely careless with national security information. and their questioning donald trump's temperament, donald trump's ability to handle our national security? no one found him extremely
5:49 am
careless in the handling of anything, much less national security information. he did not have the name of a person in the witness protection program that was exposed for the world to see. a man who got killed. >> lock her up! so, we have a candidate coul. he's going to explain his program on the economy and i will conclude by telling you a few things you should also know. he is going to expand our military. [applause] continue obama's policy of shrinking our military to pre-world war ii levels. [booing] he will take care of our veterans. [applause]
5:50 am
she can't. you know why she can't? she is bought and paid for by the unions that control the v.a. hospitals. certain ever -- shouldn't every veteran have a card to be able to go to any hospital they want to get the treatment they need? [applause] you know why she is against it? because she is hot and paid for by the unions that controls those hospitals, just like she will not give you school choice. because she is bought and paid for by the teachers union. i can go on and on. some of the people have bought and paid for her that there's nothing left. there is no hillary left. donald trump is promilitary. [applause]
5:51 am
he is pro-police. [applause] he is pro-law and order. and she is just the opposite. do you know that she excluded uniformed police officers from the democratic national convention floor? do you know that? they were embarrassed to have men in uniform and women in uniform on the floor of that convention. she has refused to submit an application for an endorsement by the fraternal order of police. so when i say that donald trump is pro-police and she is not, i know what i'm talking about. i remember as a senator in new york what she used to do with the police. the same police -- don't want the police around me. this woman is anti-military, she is anti-police.
5:52 am
she is anti-growth economy. donald trump is just the opposite. he is for a growth economy. he is going to put money in your pocket. she is going to take it out of your pocket. here's the one thing that i want you to listen for. this is why you should vote for him most importantly. donald trump gets the establishment nervous. [applause] they are shaking. can see them on television. look, they're mostly democrats, but he has got a couple of those o.publicans shaking, toi neither party has a monopoly on virtue or vice. we have got a lot of good people. they've got some good people. the establishment on both sides of the aisle, they are shaking.
5:53 am
and you know what? they should be, because when he becomes president of the united states, he is going to do one thing and one thing alone. he is going to represent you, not them. he will be your voice, your champion, your advocate, my good friend at the next president of the united states of america, donald trump. ["proud to be an american" plays] ♪
5:54 am
[applause] ♪ donald trump: thank you. thank you. thank you very much. thank you very much. so amazing. rudy just left.
5:55 am
he said, i don't believe this. this is unbelievable. nobody believes this. the crowds we are getting. i and the messenger, but the message is the right message. we are tired of incompetence. we are tired of not taking care of our military. we are tired of not taking care of our vets who are being taken care of poorly. we are tired of so many things and this is what happens. giuliani, walks out and says, i don't believe this. incredible. your governor, by the way, who's a great guy -- they are walking outside because there are thousands of people outside who cannot get in. i said, rudy, you think this is bad? go take a look outside. i want to thank pat and rudy and everybody for being here. we are going to have a good
5:56 am
time. we love north carolina. we love north carolina. [applause] we did really well in the primaries if you remember. i hear we are doing really well now. we have to win that november 8 date. i bring up those judges, the supreme court justices. you can have as many as four, i which is the scenario that this president could take five supreme court justices. that areu pick two left, left, left, it's going to be a disaster for our country. the second amendment -- the national rifle association endorsed me and endorsed me early along time ago. they are great people. something -- i tell you what, justices like
5:57 am
you lost a great one with scalia. we want to replace justices like scalia. it's going to happen and it's very important. for no other reason, it's one of the most important elections for a lot of reasons. not just that, but for a lot of reasons. that is so obvious because for whatever reason they say that this could be the presidency -- this next four years where you will pick more supreme court justices than anybody has ever had the opportunity to do. believe me -- i will make you very proud of those justices. [applause] so we had an incident a few days cash.th $400 million all anybody know what that looks like? that's a lot of cash. that's a lot of cash. and honestly, it is so sad. think of it.
5:58 am
iran, a terrorist state, and i happen to think they've got plenty of money. billion,iven them $150 so the $400 million is just you know. i happen to think it goes into their accounts in switzerland personally. they use it for terror because it's the number one tariff under -- not even close. when you have $400 million in cash, different denominations, you see the size of this? they did release the pictures after all. they released pictures. interesting, i will tell you . i sort of think it goes in to bank accounts. they probably use some for this and some for that. obama said that he did it because we do not have a working account with iran. do you believe it?
5:59 am
how long does it take to set up an account? you don't have a working account? you set up an account, right, lara? look, what's going on in this country, folks, what's going on in this country is insane. we have people running our country that do not know what they are doing. they are grossly incompetent. it is time. we have to make change, not obama change. we have to make change. [applause] bergdahl, is sergeant where we get bergdahl, who was a traitor, and they get five of the greatest killers that they wanted for eight years. a five for one trade. or the iran deal where we get nothing. we get nothing. they ultimately have a beautiful path.
6:00 am
they will get nuclear weapons. going to see a lot of changes to that deal. going to happen fast. you're going to see some big changes and really -- i saw what president obama said, that the $400 million in cash was not -- had nothing to do with the release of the hostages, right? it really doesn't work, does it? does it? remember obamacare? you're going to keep your doctor, you're going to keep your plan? over and over again. it was a lie and in fact, if he didn't make the lie he would have never gotten it approved because most democrats -- many of the democrats didn't want to do it. it was only that that got them to sign it, to approve it. and it was a lie. and the $400 million and from what the rumor is and from what the reports are, the hostages couldn't leave the airport until
6:01 am
this other plane arrived. they don't know why but i think we all have a pretty good reason why. it's all a big lie. it's all a big lie and it's so sad to see. and let me tell you, hillary clinton is going to be four more years of obama but maybe worse. audience: boo! maybe worse. going to be four more years. four more years of isis, four more years of high taxes. you know, yesterday, i had a big event, really. turned out to be a very big event in detroit. good event. very good. we got wonderful reviews and a lot of good comments but the thing i'm doing, i'm cutting taxes big league. especially for the middle class and especially for businesses, because businesses are dying.
6:02 am
that means small businesses, businesses, period. businesses are leaving our country like they've never left before. they're going all over. they're going to mexico, that i can tell you. mexico is like the eighth wonder of the world. i've been telling a story, a friend of mine, good friend of mine, good guy. he builds plants for cars, for computers, massive plants and i said to him how are you doing? and he's worked in north carolina, by the way. i said to him how are you doing? he said phenomenal. it's like i think the biggest in the world at this. that's what he does. great guy. i said how's it all going? he said you have to see mexico, donald. it's the eighth wonder of the world. what we're building there is like never has been built. i said how are things going in the united states. i'm more interested in, that right? america first, folks, america first. [cheers]
6:03 am
donald trump: america first. we get a little tired of these deals, where they actually put -- you know why. because of lobbyists and special interests and people representing and people wanting it to happen. it's just not that they want other countries to benefit over us. there are reasons for us. when i raise money and i'm putting up a lot of my own money for my campaign. i'm funding me and i'm raising money for the republican party and we're getting a lot of money from the small donors. remember be a few months ago, i wanted to make sure i dot the nomination before i startled. i took a lot of heat from the press, the world's most dishonest people, by the way. errible, terrible.
6:04 am
those cameras will not move and show how many people are in this auditorium. those cameras are not going to move, unless we have a protestor. is there a protestor up there in the corner? if we have a protestor, that's the only time they move. because they're showing something that in their find mind is a bad thing. but i like that. then the cameras show these massive crowds and people say wow, was that a big crowd. i go home to my wife and say how's it going? darling, your speech was very good. were there any people there? i say yeah, about 7,000. that's a small group. it's only confined --you had to see outside. thank you, and i love you too. who said that? who said that, huh? thank you. thank you. but i came up with rudy from new york and we're driving up and
6:05 am
e're going block after block after block, the line. and i said are those people going to be able to get in? they said the place was already full and rudy just said man, i've never seen anything like that. maybe a couple of days before an election but this is what's happening. because of the fact we have a movement going, folks. because people are so tired of it. they're so tired of it. [cheers] >> so -- and by the way -- and by the way. voter i.d., what's with that? hat's with voter i.d.? why aren't we having voter i.d.? in other words, i want to vote, here's my identification. i want to vote. as opposed to somebody coming up and voting 15 times for hillary. audience: boo!
6:06 am
>> well, and i will not tell you o vote 15 times. i will not tell you to do that. ok? you won't vote 15 times but people will. they'll vote many times and how that could have happened is unbelievable. the governor just told me they're going before the united states supreme court, justice roberts and maybe they can get a stay. et's see what happens, ok? let's see what happens. that's a very important thing. but i wrote a few things down and to me, so important. yes, darling, thank you. unstable hillary. lacks the judgment -- now, bernie sanders said she lacks judgment, right? and nobody said anything about it. no problem. he said you lack judgment and during one of the debates nobody
6:07 am
said -- it was fine. when i say it they say that's terrible the way you talk. she does, she lacks udgment. she lacks temperament and i'm the one that used "unfit" many, many months ago and now they turn it around, use it on me. unfit? i'm unfit? that's a first. but she lacks the temperament and the moral character to lead this country. very simple. she really does. she's a dangerous person who doesn't tell the truth, which has been proven very loudly. i don't think we've ever had greater proof of that of anybody. and she's disregarded the lives of americans. you see what's happening -- with what she's done with her server and you know why she did that. so i just look at this and i said that if she gets elected,
6:08 am
she will cause the destruction of this country from within. remember that. remember that. she will allow people into our country that will do damage -- that will do damage, folks. you look at what's going on in the world. look at france. take a good look at france. i have friends who go to france. i used to love france. they say no, thank you. they don't expect to be going back for a long time. i have one trip, i said how was your trim to france? he said france isn't france anymore, we're knot going anymore. so many people are saying that. look at germany. what's going on with the -- germany. look at the problems. we have enough problems in our country right now we don't need additional problems, folks. we don't need additional problems. and for all we know, this could
6:09 am
be the great trojan horse, this could be. we don't know who these people are. now, they're coming in through obama and i looked at a chart yesterday and for years it's sort of like this, a little uptick and the last number or period of time it's like wa, wa, i've never seen anything like it. they're letting them in and again, you can't vet them. you don't know where they come from. look at the damage that two people in san bernardino, probably radicalized the guy, the woman coming in. look at the damage in orlando. look at the damage that was done in orlando by one whack job, one sick whack job and you know what he was screaming, he's screaming what they all scream, and we
6:10 am
have to get smart, folks. we don't need the problems. and we've already got those problems, just so you understand, because they're coming into the country and they're being put where nobody even knows where they are. it's like, if i were the enemy, i would say i can't believe they're that stupid. they're taking my people and they're putting them all over the place. because you have a great military right here, and our military -- [cheers] >> our military cannot be beaten but you know what can happen? when we don't know where they are, where they're coming, from you get them all over the place. and folks, it's some. you don't need many. one person in orlando. two people. look at in france, 130. now, they have the strictest gun laws anywhere in the world. france, paris.
6:11 am
30 people killed and i've said 100 times this man or that woman or that woman or man had a gun in paris or san bernardino and the bullets were flying in the other direction, would have been a whole different story, folks. [cheers] >> for those foolish people that say second amendment, would have been a whole different -- i go a step further. if these people. bad people. bad, sick, sick, people. if these people knew there were guns in the good guys' hands, they probably wouldn't have gone in the first place, all right? gun-free. you know what a gun-free zone is? that's like -- oh, they study where the gun-free zones -- if they would have known you had guns.
6:12 am
if they would have known that they were going to be shot at from the other side, would have been a whole different story. maybe wouldn't have even happened in the first place. they better not come here, he said. they better not. so recently a book came out, a couple of weeks ago. a secret service agent, and made a statement because she said the other day she short circuited. hey, could you imagine if i said that i short circuited? [laughter] >> they would be calling for my execution. electric chair. they'd bring back the electric chair. it would be a whole different ballgame if i said it. believe me. but the secret service said she simply lacks the integrity to serve in the office. from the bottom of my soul, he said, i know this to be
6:13 am
rue. her leadership style which is volcanic and impulsive, and she makes bad decisions. ok? hey, it's one thing to make bad decisions. it's another thing to be wacky and make bad decisions. [cheers] >> she is disdainful of the rules set for everyone else and she hasn't changed a bit. this is -- that was the good thing. i couldn't say the bad things that were said. it's so much. nobody would even believe it. you have to see this book. nobody would believe because it's so terrible, so terrible. and she comes across like this woman, nice, easy, but she's not and she's -- listen, she's not a leader. not a leader and she is a
6:14 am
liar. ey -- hey. 33,000 emails are gone. ok? 33,000 emails are gone. they're gone. how do you get rid of 33,000 emails? who sends 33,000 emails? do you know how many that is? i think that's like 24 hours a day reading them or sending them but it wouldn't matter. for years. 33,000 emails are missing and she's so guilty. she's so guilty. i think it's a tremendous blotch on our country. i really mean that. i think what happened over the last two weeks with respect to her, especially in light of the fact that general petraeus and many others have suffered
6:15 am
unbelievable consequence. i think it's a tremendous ballot on our country. a tremendous blot. just remember that. but i just looked at this, the economic failures of obama and clinton, etc. obama-clinton economic policies ave produced 1.2% economic growth, the weakest so-called recovery since the great depression. this is like unbelievable. 1.2. do you know if china goes to 7% or 8% it's like a national catastrophe. what they do is cut their currency, they devalue their currency big league and then all of our businesses continue to be drained out of the united states. all our money, our jobs. they make our product, sell us to us. no tax, no nothing. they devalue -- devaluing is sort of like cheating. i have great relationships with china. i have great businesses with china.
6:16 am
i have done really well with china. i have them as tenants. i sold condos. i own the bank of america in san francisco with the group -- thank you, man. got to win north carolina. thank you. thank you. but it's cheating. t's really cheating. and when i look at these trade deals, it's so sad. where we lose $800 billion, with a b dollars a year on trade with china alone, it's $400 billion and $500 billion, and $505 billion. this is year in and year out. it's amazing our country keeps going. but what has happened we have people in the audience, in 18 years they are making less money now than they made 18 years ago in real wages. 18, and in many cases they are working two and three jobs, ok. but they are making less money
6:17 am
now than they made 18 years ago. and those stats come out, real wages. they are working harder. they are getting older. in theory it's supposed to be the other way. you're working, young, you don't care. you get older, by the way, how about me, i think i'm working harder, too. i never worked this hard in my life. but i like it. i like it, because i have met so many incredible people. i really got a tremendous understanding of this country, because i am going to places i have heard about, have known about. i am stopping everywhere, and i see the carnage that nafta has brought. i see upstate new york, north carolina -- but new england-- new england got really wacked.
6:18 am
new england got hit. you look at ohio, what is happening there. this is not like it is going to happen. it is getting worse. ohio, michigan, what is going on with the car plants being built in mexico is unbelievable, and they are moving. we were talking about the auto workers yesterday where they have lost over 100,000 autoworkers, in michigan, which is our car capital, and it is not the car capital anymore. mexico will become the new car capital of the world in a short time. now, think of it, and that's only because we allow it to happen. and i like mexico, and i respect the leaders of mexico because they are much smarter, but much smarter and more cunning than our leaders. but you have to see what is going on. one of the reasons i won indiana was bobby knight, because he is
6:19 am
the best, greatest, but one of the reasons is that carrier air conditioning let 1400 people go and they are building a plant in mexico. we are not going to let it happen. right now as you stand here and you think you have great jobs, companies are negotiating from north carolina to move to mexico and other places. made possible by our federal government, made possible by the people that enacted a suicidal pact for our country. i watched for years, i was never a politician until 14 months ago. i can't believe i'm saying i'm a olitician. but i have been watching for years, as the government tries to keep businesses from leaving and going to other countries, and i have seen low-interest loans, 0% interest loans,
6:20 am
subsidies, forget it. hat will not work. what is going to work is carrier moves to mexico. good luck. have a nice plant. i hope my friend builds it. when they make their air conditioners, and they think they are going to sell the air conditioners to people living in indianapolis, where they come from, for similar prices, and they think they are going to sell it there and have no repercussions? with me, they have repercussions, ok? with me, we inform them that if you move, you are going to pay a 35% tax on every single air conditioner that pours across our now very secure borders. and two things are going to happen. one of two things. one of two things are going to
6:21 am
happen. if you get them in time, they are not moving, throws it all off balance, off kilter. number one, and people would say, why doesn't anybody use this, why doesn't anybody mention it? because they are controlled by lobbyists and politicians and carrier goes on -- i am using carrier as an example -- hundreds and thousands, thousands of companies, and millions of jobs we are talking about. i was looking at numbers -- i will not repeat the numbers, they'll say they can't believe they are that high. what it is thousands of companies and millions and millions of jobs, and you say, why doesn't somebody else do what trump is saying? i'm controlled by myself because i'm putting up my money, ok. 'm putting up the money. and -- we raised $82 million
6:22 am
last month, and a lot of it was small money donations. which republicans never get. it averaged $61 a head. the total that we raised, and in fact in may, i told you, i was taking the heat, because they said donald trump didn't raise any money. i told you why. i did not raise it because i was not sure i had the nomination. if i had the nomination, i would have gone to turnberry and played golf, in scotland. but i got the nomination, and now we can start, and we raised $51 million in june, a lot of it in small donations, and we raised $82 million in july. people are going, even the haters, the people who truly hate trump, they say that is amazing, and people want to hear this message, an important message.
6:23 am
but when you say and you hear what i just said, you charge a tariff, a tax, and guess what -- and people say, why haven't the politicians been smart, why haven't they done it? because they are controlled by people that work for many of these companies, and they are not going to do it, whether it is donors or special interests or lobbyists, they control because they want it to happen. honestly, i think it is a total disgrace. i think it is a total isgrace. for the millions of jobs and for the thousands and thousands of companies that have left our country, if i were here to speak to every one of those companies or five minutes -- r. trump: bye-bye.
6:24 am
hey were so quiet. i like the hillary protesters because they are so quiet. the bernie protesters were tough. the hillary protesters have no spirit. did you see that in she starts screaming, the guy walks up, i'll go. the bernies ones were -- they had a lot more spirit. i think we will get a lot of bernie voters, if you want to know the truth, because they understand that trade is killing hem. so a few things, a few of the facts i wrote, which is the -- one is the 1.2% lowest -- forget t, probably much higher. when they announced 1.2%, that means it is lower, and 1.2% is starting to set records.
6:25 am
the national debt, almost $20 trillion -- $20 trillion -- the national debt under obama has doubled. think of it, doubled. i think by the time he gets out, it will more than double, but we have to be accurate because they will say it is not quite doubled. believe me, by the time he gets out it will have more than doubled. the national debt is doubled, and the bad part of that, you think of the national debt has oubled, our infrastructure, we would have beautiful -- you see where 50% of the bridges are in danger in this country, and the roadways are messed. a friend said for years he had no problems. now he buys these big beautiful trucks and the wheels get wiped out because of the potholes and things on the highways.
6:26 am
you think with that doubling of the national debt you would good shape from the infrastructure standpoint, right? we are in very bad shape. u.s. trade deficit, almost $800 billion, nearly 24 million americans in their prime earning years are out of the labor force, right? in the last seven years, another 14 million people have left the workforce. think of it, these are the real numbers, not the 5% nonsense. you look for a job, you cannot ind your job, you go home, you go to your parents, you go to your friends, whatever. you gave up and now you are considered statistically employed. those people are not employed. these people are great people. there are plenty of them in here. we have great people, the most loyal people, the smartest people. so many of my people, they are so smart. like to say, trump -- i do not know if he has it right --we have the smartest people and the
6:27 am
best and the hardest working. we have the smartest people. we will put iq's among some of us, you can't say all of us, against any i.q.'s that we have to deal with. i would love to do that. in the last seven years, 14 million people, one in five american households do not have a single member in the workforce. pretty bad. home ownership -- this is one that is amazing to me. today home ownership is at its lowest rate in 51 years. you own homes, and used to be the dream to own a home, right? the american home. lowest that it has been in so many years. 51 years. nearly 12 million people and more americans are dependent on food stamps, and 2 million more
6:28 am
latino americans live in poverty under obama and clinton, under obama because clinton is going to carry on -- i do not know if you saw, i gave a massive tax and decrease yesterday, but and regulations, we're going to get rid of so many of them. but clinton, she's going to double up your taxes, and she's trying to say that i don't like trump -- she's going to double up your taxes. you are going to have massive tax increases if clinton gets in. enjoy it, folks, if you get that. 58% of african-american youth are not employed. how sad is that? american households are earning $4000 less -- listen to this one -- today than they were 16 years ago. many workers are earning less than 1970 in real dollars. 1970 -- that is a long time ago. they are earning in real dollars less money.
6:29 am
so under my plan, we are going to create millions of new and really good-paying jobs. it is interesting, because the pro-obama people say about the jobs, that they are bad jobs. i have heard it from many people, they are trying to defend him, but they are bad jobs. the good jobs have left. but we will create millions of new good-paying jobs, but good jobs, it is so important. t is so important. everyone's taxes will go down. hillary clinton has supported tax increases on the middle class for her entire career. she has voted for higher taxes 235 times in the senate. that is all? i thought it was more than that. 235 times. i hope there is not a decimal point in there. i do not think there is.
6:30 am
voted for higher taxes 235 times in the senate. now she is planning another job-killing $1.3 trillion tax increase. that is what the tax increase will be, folks. not like you are not already paying enough? her plan will tax many small businesses who are already in deep trouble out of business. then we will make -- and this is so important, this was an ivanka trump, my daughter, so great, so great. we're going to make childcare expenses tax-deductible for orking families. and just many, many other things, we are going to make some unbelievable changes, and it is so easy. regulations -- i am traveling all over and meeting with
6:31 am
business owners, even people who are being laid off because of this. regulations -- if i told you, and i'm so surprised -- this is the biggest surprise, if you have a small business, and i said you could have one or the other, a major tax cut like we're going to bring it down to 15% from more than -- much more than double that, but if i told you that you could have a massive tax decrease or really substantially but in a real way cut regulation, 100% of the people i talk to would take the regulation if you could only have one or the other. t's amazing. it is amazing, that surprised me. it surprised to them, too. 100% -- everybody -- businesses cannot form anymore. regulatory burden is so
6:32 am
incredible that you cannot form businesses -- very hard -- and businesses in existence are being put out of existence for regulations that do not do anything. we want safety regulations, environmental regulations. we are not people that do not want these things. we have to have that. we want clean air, clean water. we want clean water. but to do that -- and there are certain things that you want to do, but to do that you do not have to destroy our country and ur businesses. so i just wrote this down today. hillary wants to raise taxes. this is a comparison. i want to lower them. hillary wants to expand regulations, which she does big league, can you believe that? i will reduce them very, very substantially, 50%, as much as 70%, 75%. hillary wants to shut down energy production.
tv-commercial
6:33 am
i want to expand it. lower electric, lower electric. hillary wants to essentially abolish the second amendment. by the way, if she gets to pick -- if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. although the second amendment people -- maybe there is -- i don't know. but i will tell you what, that will be a horrible day if hillary gets to put her judges -- right now we are tied. you see what is going on, because -- scalia -- this was not supposed to happen. justice scalia was supposed to be around for 10 more years at least, and this is what happens. that was a horrible thing. so now look at it, so hillary essentially wants to abolish the second amendment. speaking to the nra folks, who are great.
6:34 am
when you -- and i will tell you, so they endorsed me, they endorsed a very early. my sons are members. i am a member. i think we can -- at the national rifle association, the second amendment to the ustices, they almost go in a certain way hand in hand. the justices are going to do things that are so important, and we have such great justices. you see my list of 11 that had een vetted and are respected and gotten great, and a little equate -- but if you do not do what is the right thing, you are not going to have a second amendment, you are not going to have much of it left, and you will not be able to protect yourselves, what you need. when the bad guys burst into your house, they are not looking about second amendment and do i have a right to do this, ok? the bad guys are not going to be giving up their weapons, but the good people will say, oh, well,
6:35 am
that's the law. no, no, not going to happen. we can't let it happen. e can't let that happen. hillary clinton wants to have totally open borders where people flow into our country and they take your jobs and they do lots of things. and i want people to come into our country, but they have to do it through a process, they have to do it legally, right? so you have drugs pouring in, you have everything coming in. in new hampshire, great state, they have a tremendous heroin problem. we will stop the drugs pouring into our country from the southern border. and by the way, we will build a all --
6:36 am
[cheers] mr. trump: walls do work. walls do work. here is one -- gee, doesn't look that way, but she is. hillary wants to invade foreign countries. that's what she does. look at the mess. since i spent -- for two years, three years i have been saying we have spent $2 trillion. somebody said four or five trillion in the middle east. i will get the accurate number. they do not know the accurate number. they have no idea what we're doing. we are sending equipment over and the enemy is taking it. we sent over 2300 humvees that are totally armor plated. they got stolen by the enemy. i thought that meant like two or 23 or 230 was too much.
6:37 am
2300 humvees and they got stolen, taken by the enemy. a shot gets fired in the air, the so-called allies, these great allies we always pick, who end up being worst than the guys we're trying to get out. so terrible. illary and president obama refuse to use the term "radical slamic terrorism." big problem, big problem. hillary wants to release violent criminals and criminal offenders from prison. that's wonderful. enjoy yourselves. i want to work with our police. our police are so incredible. they do not get the respect they deserve. not getting the respect they deserve.
6:38 am
and we are going to in our country restore law and order. we have to. we have to restore law and order. and the police will be careful and study, but what happened in dallas, where all of those people were shot down, absolutely, absolutely for no reason viciously shot down, and so many others. i was with one of the police groups the other day, they are endorsing me, and i said that was terrible in dallas, and they gave me a list like eight other states in the last short while where the same smaller number, but the same thing was happening where police are being killed. we have to respect and cherish ur police. school choice we want.
6:39 am
common core we do not want. we got to get rid of common core. bring education -- mr. trump: and, folks, we have to renegotiate with nafta. going back to the wall, mexico is going to pay for the wall. that i can tell you. you know, these politicians, you -- they don't know me. they don't understand me. i met a group of 50 people who have been running our country forever and they said we cannot support donald trump. the reason -- because i am not going to hire these people, i do not want to these people. take a look. take a look at these people, these are sort of like the people that have been involved with washington, making decisions militarily, on
6:40 am
defense, take a look at what has happened to our country. our military is depleted. our vets are not being taken care of. we cannot beat isis. can you imagine general george patton, spinning in his grave, the great douglas mcarthur, and we have so many people in this -- and this is such a military state, and i love it. i love it. can you imagine them seeing that we can't beat these 25,000 or 30,000 people? we are fighting a politically correct war. politically correct war? you know what is going on. you know what is going on. these are the people that chop off heads. these are the people that in steel cages -- drop steel cages
6:41 am
into the water and drown large groups of people. these are the people that bury people in the sand. we got to knock them out. i was against the war in iraq. we shouldn't have been to the war in iraq. it destabilized the middle east, and i said it shouldn't have happened. but we should have gotten out and the way we got out was insane. and obama gave a date, and that is how isis happened, folks! hence, the birth of isis, congratulations, hillary clinton. she should get -- if i am isis, i'll call her up and i give her the most valuable player award, k? and i guarantee you, with libya, which was her baby, and all the other mistakes she has made, obama talks now, because obviously for him that is the better alternative, all right? but he has been an incompetent president. he has done a harmful job.
6:42 am
-- horrible job. and i guarantee you that if he had it to do again and he would only say this to his wife, but if he had it to do it again, he woo not have chosen hillary clinton to be his secretary of state because she made so many horrible midst takes and cost so many lives, and i mean lives on both sides. she is inept. she is inept. to think she is allowed to run for president of the united states when she deleted 33,000 emails is an embarrassment to our country and it always will be, ok. it always will be. so i want to thank all of you for being here.
6:43 am
look, i am going to be around, we are going to be coming around to north carolina a lot. got to win it, very important. people are great. my daughter-in-law comes from north carolina. am here all the time. but people, the people are great, the military is great. we are going to make america great again. we are going to start winning. we are going to put america first. we are going to make america safe again. but never, ever forget we are going to make america great again. thank you. thank you, everybody. i will be back soon. thank you. god bless you.
6:44 am
>> you can't always get what you want you can't always get hat you want you can't always get what you want ut if you try sometime you can get what you need
6:45 am
>> i glanced at her hand i knew she was going to meet her connection you can't always get what you want you can't always get what you want you can't always get what you want but if you try sometime you might find you get what you need [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2016]
6:46 am
[captioning performed by the national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org]
6:47 am
>> c-span's "washington journal," live every day with news and policy issues that impact you. coming up this morning, david malpass will join us to discuss donald trump's economic plan and the impact those plans could have on the federal budget and the economy.
6:48 am
then yasmine, senior political porter for wear, covers news for mi lenials and campaign 2016. be sure to watch c-span's "washington journal," coming up live at 7:00 a.m. this morning. join the discussion. >> this morning the state department issues its annual report on international religious freedom. we have live coverage from the state department press conference here on c-span at 0:00 a.m. eastern. >> a c-span.org, you can watch our public affairs and political programming any time at your convenience. on your desktop, laptop, or mobile device. here's how, go to our homepage, c-span.org and click on the vito library search bar, here you can type in the name of a speaker, sponsor of a bill, or even the event topic. review the list of search results, and click object the program you'd like to watch or
6:49 am
refine our search with our many search tools. if you're looking for our most current programs and don't want to search the lie brarery, our homepage has many current programs ready for your immediate viewing such as today's "washington journal" or the events we covered that day. c-span.org is a public service of our cable or satellite providers. if you're a c-span watcher, heck it out at c-span.org. >> house spooker paul ryan won his primary on tuesday, defeating businessman paul kneeland, for the republican nomination in wisconsin's first congressional district. after his vick trick speaker ryan talked to reporters and answered questions about his legislative agenda and presidential race. this is 10 minutes.
6:50 am
speaker ryan: good evening, everybody. first of all, i want to say thank you and welcome to janesville, wisconsin. i want to recognize all of the candidates who sought federal, state, and local offices in wisconsin today. it is hard work, and i am grateful we had so many candidates take part in the democratic process. i want to highlight one candidate in particular who was on the ticket tonight in wisconsin. mike gallagher. mike gallagher won the eighth congressional district republican primary. he is a marine veteran with an impressive background in security. the eighth district is an area that needs to stay republican. it will be a hard-fought race, and i very much look forward to campaigning with mike.
6:51 am
i also want to speak to the residents of southern wisconsin. on behalf of janna, myself, and our kids, thank you. thank you for your trust. thank you for your confidence. thank you for your support and efforts. i am a fifth-generation janesville native, and i have been honored to serve this congressional district since 1998. it has been one of the best experiences of my lifetime, and i am humbled that so many want to see me continue on their behalf. the people here, they know me well. they know that i believe that to serve is to work to become part of the solution, not be part of the problem. they share my desire for political leadership that is inclusive, not divisive. they look at the horizon, and they look for hope, not fear. most of all, they want someone who works to be effectively advance our founding principles. look.
6:52 am
there is a lot of real frustration in this country. there is a lot of anger that washington is just not working and that seems irrevocably broken, and people want to see congress and their elected leaders tackle the tough problems, not duck those tough problems. they are sick of the paralysis, and they are hungry for results. and all too often, washington fails to provide those results. in times as uncertain as these, it is easy to resort to division. it is simple to prey on people's fears. that stuff sells, but it does not stick. it does not last. most of all, it does not work. around here, we look beyond the noise and the static. our strength comes from the principles on which our government was founded, self-government and liberty. our inspiration comes from the notion that the condition of your birth does not determine the outcome of your life, and our desire is to see everyone
6:53 am
get ahead and that our children are left better off, and so because we want to bring people together and not divide them, because we want to break the gridlock, not perpetuate it, because we want fresh ideas, not outdated ideas, republicans are offering a better way to fix this country's big, pressing problems. by taking a better way, we can reignite our nation's economic engine. we can lift people out of poverty and get them on the ladder of opportunity. we can restore our constitution. we can have real patient centered-health care, and we can keep our country safe and free. this is how we turn this passion of the moment into a hard-won future, through ideas, through inspiration, through inclusiveness, through an agenda that we can be proud of, through an agenda that can unite people. so we will take this agenda to voters across this country this fall, and i am confident they will reward our efforts.
6:54 am
between now and november, i am committed to doing everything i can to make sure that the status quo, which is not good enough, is not continued, because we can do better. we are going to make the case that house republicans are offering new ideas for a new day, and let it be known that we cannot afford another four years like the obama years, and let's be very, very clear. that is exactly what hillary clinton and her party are offering. we can get this country back on track. we can tackle the country's biggest, most pressing problems before they tackle us. we can restore the optimism that is there in that small business owner from janesville. we can restore the optimism that is in the heart of that farmer, from elkhorn, that is in that worker that gets up at 6:00 to work at the tool and dye in racine or kenosha.
6:55 am
they want their american dream, and i'm going to do everything i can as a representative from the first congressional district and as speaker of the house to try to make that possible. i just want to end with this. i want to thank my employers, the people i work for here in the first congressional district, for hiring me to fight on their behalf. i simply want to say thank you very much for your confidence. i appreciate it. questions. ow about some local guys ? charles benson, i thought i heard you. >> do you think your landslide victory here sends a larger message that donald trump is doomed in november? speaker ryan: i do not think it means that he is doomed in november. the people in wisconsin know me very, well. look. you know me, charles. i am a local guy. people know that i mean what i say and say what i mean, and i
6:56 am
do not do it in a mean way, and i think that is the kind of politics, the kind of policies that wisconsinites reward. i would not ascribe anything other to it than that. how about -- bauer. i just want to get some local folks. i thought i heard bauer. ok. yes. speaker ryan: that is not even a question i will bother entertaining. there is no point in having that conversation. > up against donald trump -- what is your reaction to donald trump saying about the second amendment -- speaker ryan: i have been a little busy today. i heard about this second amendment quote. it sounds like a joke gone bad. i hope he clears it up quickly. you should never joke about that. i did not hear the comments.
6:57 am
i only heard about the omments. >> all are calling donald trump dangerous. speaker ryan: look. i think it is very clear that the trump-pence ticket will put good judges on the supreme ourt, and we will find far better reseptemberivity of our agenda that we're trying to get on track to fix this country's problems than the hillary clinton administration. that much we know. frank. let me go to frank and then kelly. >> speaker ryan: no, i do not see any point to it. you get to the end zone, and you act like you have been there before. i have not even thought about that. look. we knew we were going to do well. we received the vote we were hoping and expecting all along, and that is just kind of how -- the outcome is exactly what we
6:58 am
were hoping for and expecting, and desperate candidates do desperate things for attention. i think that is what you saw here. kelly? yes. elcome back. inaudible] speaker ryan: you're talking about the question? i have not even heard it. i am not going to make a comment more than what i have heard. no, i do not want to do it that way. pretty busy today. the point i made before, with any endorsement of anyone, there are never blank checks. let me say it this way. i believe here in wisconsin, we have a unified republican party. we have a unified republican party because we tell people what we believe, our principles
6:59 am
are, and what we will do if we get elected, and then like what happened here in wisconsin, we did it. that is exactly what we're trying to do here as house republicans. we have taken our principles, liberty, free enterprise, upward mobility, equality, and applied them to the principle of the day and offered a better way, offered an agenda so that the country, which does not like the path we are on, actually has a better path from which to choose. that is the kind of agenda we are offering the country. we believe that is what people are hungry for in the nation, and that i think has been validated right here in the first congressional district. thank you very much. i appreciate it. [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2016] [captioning performed by the national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org] >> the atlantic council hosted a discussion on cybersecurity. and tonight a look at presidential transitions from the george w. bush library. in 45 minutes we discuss donald
7:00 am
trump's tax plan with a campaign senior economic advisor and senior political reporter with the website rare, yasmeen alamiri. ♪ house speaker paul ryan holds onto his position after handily defeating the primary challenger in wisconsin yesterday, by 70 points with most ballots goin counted. this is the "washington journal." donald trump back in overstatementsab about the send

9 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on