Skip to main content

tv   The Mikva Challenge Soapbox Nation Speeches  CSPAN  August 18, 2019 12:36am-1:47am EDT

12:36 am
technology of drugs, it is imperative to understanding not only the 1960's that -- but history. the drugs we use at a given time and place can change the direction of the society. talk with the david farber about the social movements of the 1960's leading up to woodstock and its legacy. woodstock: 50 years sunday at "washingtonstern on journal" and also on c-span3. challenge hosted its so buck nation speech so case -- showcase. civics to promote engagement among students. this is one hour and 10 minutes.
12:37 am
hello, everyone. good evening. thank you for joining us today. you are up here with mikva challenge, we are committed to developing young people to be informed and active citizens to create a just and equitable world. named after two great civic leaders, we believe in the power of the voices that are here with us today and we believe in helping young people to create civic action to improve the world. i am going to turn it over to a colleague and friend from facebook education. [applause] hi, everyone. my name is nicole and i work on the education team focused on use leadership. our mission is to provide young people with support and resources they need to drive
12:38 am
positive changes in their communities and schools. we are thrilled to be getting this partnership, to be supporting mikva in their work. hear the youtho speeches today. for you all, young people raising your voice is to help shape your communities. thank you so much. [applause] i mentioned the amazing young people that are here today. my name is stephanie cruz, i am on the board of mikva challenge. it is exceptionally exciting to hear the stories we are going to hear. these young people represent 25,000 young people who have participated in the soap box challenge. we are very lucky to hear these amazing stories. to geting to turn over it kicked off. [applause] thank you both so much. myself and my colleague will be
12:39 am
emceeing today, and we are thrilled to hear these speeches of brave young people who will speak out on the issues that matter to them that they want to see change that are affecting young people around the country and the world. i won't be speaking so much because we want to center their voices and their wisdom and their perspective. without further ado, i'm going to call our first speaker, mohammed. come on up. [applause] >> 35,000, that is the number of innocent souls put to rest in 2012 by gun violence. did they deserve it? absolutely not, and yet here we are talking about them in past tense red my name is mohammed and i come before you to talk about the tragic gun violence epidemic in the united states. since the horrifying school shooting in connecticut, sandy hook elementary school, there
12:40 am
has not been more than -- there massbeen more than 1,600 shootings. while the families of those killed in these incidents drowned in grief, the government watches with glassy eyes. many attempts to protect and serve the interest of the public continue to be undermined. the unprecedented gun violence continues to be subverted as if it is not a real issue. gun violence is a cruel, inhumane and catastrophic problem and and only in america dilemma. in 2018, a shooting at a bar in california marked to the 307th mass shooting and 2018. when that occurred, it was 312 days into the year, meaning that the u.s. has nearly as many mass shootings as days. every dayointing that a possibility of a mass shooting happening is active and real? 2,824 children
12:41 am
who were clueless of this dangerous and evil world, where they are not even safe in the place they spend most of their lives in, anticipating their birthday, their kindergarten graduation and awaiting to hug their parents once they get out of school died by gun shots. 13,723 wereional injured. if we are capable of building walls, blocking immigrants from coming in, then we are able to burn those walls that surround politicians who do nothing about gun violence as they are blindsided to those who have suffered. my call for action is to demand background checks, make sure guns are out of the hands of those with criminal records, demand more complex systems for buying guns, and finally, and i can't believe that i have to say this, but an 18-year-old should never have access to an assault rifle. are you kidding me? 18-year-old who has barely
12:42 am
grasped responsibility and adulthood is all of the sudden granted the right to an assault rifle? what planet are we living in? i will tell you. the planet where he learned from parkland, where we learn from san bernardino, where he learned from the synagogue in pittsburgh. where he learned from parkland. where he learned from columbine. where he learned from the mosques in new zealand. where we learn from new york. but we did not learn to do something. anything for those 2824 children. places of worship are under assault every time a bullet is more important than a life. do what is needed until this place can be safe for the future generations. enough is enough. thank you. [applause] >> thank you.
12:43 am
up next, we have ivy. can i tell you where they are from? mohammed was some new york, queens. [applause] --, do you want to >> a book is a wonderful piece of magic. it can transport you to another world. it can give you a glimpse into the life of another person. it teaches you empathy. for children, reading is vital. and children from low income families need books the most. they need that escape, that hope for a better future. it seems that these children are our lowest priority when it comes to reading. over 8.7 million low income students are not proficient in
12:44 am
reading. these are the kids who are going to make up the future of our nation. it is imperative that we give them the resources they need and deserve. and how can we do that if libraries are not getting the funding that they need? in 2013, the delaware state budget appropriated only 0.06% of their money toward libraries. improve ifgrow and we are taking something as magical as libraries for granted? now, some people may not believe that this is a problem. books are disappearing to make way for a new era, the era of technology. and yes, technology is a wonderful thing, but studies show that children growing up in homes with books average three years more schooling than those who grew up in homes without books. that is regardless of parents class, occupation and education. study by thea
12:45 am
reading agency shows that reading can reduce anxiety and stress, increase self-esteem, and reduce symptoms of depression. it is magic. so, now that you note the problem, here's what i need you to do. support organizations that work to solve this problem, such as reading is fundamental or room to read, but most importantly, read. by reading to the children in your life and encouraging them to read, we can move toward a stronger, better tomorrow. thank you. [applause] >> thank you. ivy. you, [applause] this is my soapbox speech. before i begin, i would like to ask if everyone can see me.
12:46 am
now?ou great, because in the eyes of society, people of color are seen as invisible. abolish, noat we matter what we established, it would still be there. i am talking about racism. racism is something that has been a part of our world. my generation, generation z, has been to her in a place where there is so. . people find other ways to be racist. that is disappointing because in the words of martin luther king junior, i had a dream for all black boys and black girls to play with all little white boys and black girls and not die. happy and forget about why we have to work that day.
12:47 am
die withainly did not the school students, including their faces black for 10 years. passing, 3050 days that this is not ok. officers say it is ok to shoot. the person of color is a problem and appear ignorant as people adding to the problem. in the words of dr. martin luther king jr., nothing is more dangerous than sincere ignorance. according to npr, african-americans have extensive amounts of discrimination. when applying for a job, it is 56%. 57%.tion, skin color, that produces that.
12:48 am
king, racism is not ok. it has never been ok. the people are just as bad. behaving and people behaving to the fact that they can deliver. dr. king had a dream and so do i. every color feels included and lookpeople to attractive and the dream will theater dream. we see racist acts all the time and don't announce them. it is ok to be like this. and a 13-year-old should not be asking adopt to do their job. andould be going to a party
12:49 am
worrying about which drama happened at the beach. i am not done. [applause] [laughter] >> you want to know why some people have nightmares? the starter stream. bloodshot. [applause] >> thank you. ms. jackson. [applause]
12:50 am
>> have you ever had her then person? all over the country -- all over the world. this means demand. the united states government and employees are turning a blind eye to u.s. citizens. 998 people have been emerged and that is two people away from 1000. people have been murdered by u.s. police officers and we are in the month of july.
12:51 am
this is not how they should be treated because we are all human beings. if what is even worse is when we have proof, proof by the government officials. 2017 that twon police officers have been charged with the protest. the officers hit, kicked and threw them to the ground protester, really an officer. what is the government do? nothing. it is like to please a government or could teaming up to make them scared. it is not right. all races are being abused. it is like family or like me, your red son or your son.
12:52 am
i believe police officers are punished. better training or dealing with the public. there might be mental illnesses. during training, police with the investigation, traffic control, defensive aid.ng, self-defense, self then a learned how to deal with mental on this is. they don't know how to handle anger. . will a great a daily issue.
12:53 am
12:54 am
>> she was a victim whose only
12:55 am
crime was being a girl living in the wrong place and time. bitderstand this topic is a taboo to discuss and may be difficult to hear but it's also a subject that receives little to no recognition. i ask for the audiences full attention. if everyone is too afraid to discuss this, progress will never be made. according to the world health organization, 44 million women under the age of 15 are victims -- fgm, female genital mutilation. the whole purpose of the horrible procedure is to control a woman's sexuality. it is thought to ensure virginity before marriage and increase male pleasure. it is usually done by people with no medical knowledge. lead to ptsd,es
12:56 am
depression, anxiety, childbirth complications, and death. it is a disgusting, horrible, barbaric procedure that must be put to an end. can sign a petition by 2030. population growth will outpace progress. the number of women subjected the harm will rise exponentially. how many more young women have to be subjected to harm and have their childhoods to private of them? only six out of 195 countries have equal rights for men and women. the lives of women and girls in third world -- third world countries are just as important. please, sign that the change.org petition and let's put an end to the barbaric custom known as female genital mutilation. thank you. [applause]
12:57 am
>> thank you. next, jaelyn. [applause] >> school shootings have no place in our country, they have no place anywhere. you have a son, he is beautiful, tinywith big eyes and fingers, he is yours. you come home from work one day and decide to watch some tv, the news. you are surprised by what you see. it is just another school shooting. when will we learn these things just happen? --isn't a school far off and in another state. it is your son's school. you call your mother.
12:58 am
you call everyone you know. beg god, you pray, you for the return of your child. your child who was yours since he took his first breath. is this the day he takes his last? in 1998, the parents of 13 high school students have the same fear when a boy murdered two of his classmates. in 2012, the parents at sandy hook lost their babies because a grown man murdered 21st graders with a gun. in 2015 at a community college, a man murdered eight of his classmates because he felt he didn't fit in. boy killed 17 people at a high school with a gun. 17 people. since 2012, school shootings in america has become terrifyingly consistent. just in the two year time span
12:59 am
2015, 142 school shootings have been reported. 2018, that number has risen to 239. after 2012, more than 400 people have died as result of open gunfire on a school campus. in 2016.cides rose 20% firearms contributed 87%. this calamity has many americans calling for the absolute ban of guns. is like of banning guns the muslim ban donald trump put in place and i find it disgusting president trump for bidding human beings.
1:00 am
desk should, my never have to defend me. i should not have to worry imy teachers are willing to sacrifice their lives in order to save mine. that is my right as a citizen and a compatriot of the earth. i am not at war and neither are my fellow peers. there is a desperate need for change. as someone who is not yet legally allowed to vote, i implore all of you when our time comes, please vote for efficient gun laws. vote to protect the future of america. babies,protect us, your your children, sons and daughters. .e deserve better thank you.
1:01 am
[applause] >> thank you. >> she is a pretty girl, but she will never believe it. she could find a million imperfections within an inch of her body. that mask of makeup she wears, she is a pretty girl. she won't ever believe it. --se minds on her stomach she wishes she was not so skinny. she is a skinny girl, but she will never believe it. the things on tv tells her she is not good enough. she needs to be thin, tall, white, successful. have a small appetite.
1:02 am
thick. she's pretty girl but you will not believe it. when she wakes up in the morning , she says she cannot go to school because she is sick. when she looks in the mirror, she can't stand herself. she's a pretty girl but she will not ever believe it. she stays away from boys because they could not love someone that looks like her. she was told she had to look a certain way to attract men, attract men like it is her job to attract men. not how she this is looked. she is a pretty girl. she won't ever believe it. how could she believe it when society tells her every way she looks she is wrong? put on some weight. guys don't like skinny girls. you should not wear a bikini. you are ugly. she's a pretty girl but she will not ever believe it.
1:03 am
expectations eat women alive until they are nothing. there will always be someone more beautiful. she's a pretty girl. she won't ever believe it. young girls are told to be quiet, look pretty, be obedient. be perfect. when will we stop tearing each other apart over what the media tells us we must look like? excepting ourselves is hard. i hope one day we will find the courage to let the beauty shine through. she is a pretty girl. she knows it. [applause] >> thank you. .ext
1:04 am
know 91% of plastic is not recycled? recycling is metal, paper, soss, in the recycling bin it can be used for new material. billion metric tons, six point three become plastic waste. been recycled. 79%, aremajority, later. at some point it goes into the ocean. could you imagine that much plastic in the ocean? over 100,000 marine animals die every year from plastic entanglement. one million people die from plastic. that is awful. bethe end of 2015, they will billions of plastic in our landfill.
1:05 am
heavy as5,000 times as the empire state building. also about 8 million tons and have in the ocean. in the ocean. some restaurants have been getting rid of plastic cups to reduce the plastic in her ocean. we have labels on recycling material and we have been using reusable water bottles. be lazy ande to not throw their recyclables away. i think they should find a better way. throughout the world, any plastic in our oceans, every place you go. let's make this a reality, starting today.
1:06 am
[applause] >> awesome. thank you, luke. >> i'm sorry, black men. the only place where your work will be of assistance is the streets of the ghetto. i'm sorry, muslim woman. i am to afraid of hiring you because your father might be a terrorist. since you are a mexican, i am going to pay you under the table. discrimination has to stop. people are being punished every day for being themselves. as in african-american women, i sometimes feel like it is impossible for me to escape the fate given to me before i was born. i sometimes feel like i'm going to dial down my close because my skin color is enough to be labeled as an unsophisticated
1:07 am
black girl. black men feel like they should not try because they will be turned down because of the color of their skin. they end up in prison or killed. 82% of african-americans feel -- racial crucial group is discriminated upon. i never understood how so much hatred and inequality could stem from religion. as ifents never treated someone was more superior as the other. people are being killed because doneperson's religion has something bad. have we had a reason to hate jews? police officers are so carelessly arresting people who look latino. citizens areo many of latino dissent.
1:08 am
statistics show 50% of hispanic americans feel like they are discriminated upon on a daily basis. when are we going to change? when are we going to look at each other as people? the first step starts with us. we must reflect on ourselves before we can make change. we must look at the discrimination before our eyes. toward make a step change. what i'm asking you to do, put yourself in their shoes. do for them what you would want done. everybody is equal. thank you. [applause] thank you. next, lillian. come on down.
1:09 am
>> this is all our fault. the countless lives that have been lost due to the arrogance of our lawmakers. the 13 lives of columbine. 27 lives of sandy hook. pulse nightclub and the countless others we choose to ignore. their blood has sustained our reach the has yet to colorblind leaders in our government. every day we say we live in the land of the free. how can we be free if we know the hate outside our doors? we should be scared because in 393 millionre are civilian held firearms. world's46% of the
1:10 am
civilian held firearms. more to outnumber each person in this country. we should be scared because we are not safe here. expected to we are get up every morning and go to school hoping that it will be safe. hoping that we will come home even though nothing has changed since columbine. nothing has changed since sandy hook. how are we supposed to trust something that has failed us so many times before? going out to have fun can end in disaster like it has for the victims of the las vegas mass shooting. chaoscing religion can be like it has been for the victims of the pittsburgh synagogue shooting. even going to the grocery store can be scary because we know there's a chance we may never come home.
1:11 am
over 300 masswere shootings. over 300 times a gun was fired killing or injuring four people. we watched and let it happen. our laws it happen. they let people come into our schools, houses, places of worship. we are a nation divided by greed and hatred and guns. we have been failed time and time again i our legislation and government. more,sked what they value they chose guns over our lives. countless loss will be a reminder to our generation and generations to come of this horrific time in our country. there something wrong here. people expected to work itself out. we will not be sent into war
1:12 am
zones so people can work themselves out. we are not targets. we are your future. [applause] >> all right. thank you. >> when i was four, i became a sister to my first foster brother. although we did not share the same parents, we shaved a birthday. he came into my life broken. he suffered from a fractured skull. he was one of the most joyful people i've known. lot about my time with him.
1:13 am
one of the most special relationships i've experienced. inre are over 430 7000 youth foster care, all needing a place to call home. whether an emergency placement or a long-term placement, i know from my experiences that you don't truly provide a home if you don't treat them or love them as your own. these children come from places of pain and hurt, whether from abuse or neglect, there is trauma. a child moves seven times in the foster care system. it is unfair they never get to settle in one place. i will admit it is scary to be a foster family. livings for uncertain and that should not be a reason not to foster. we see groups of siblings split up. we see kids with special needs moving from home to home because
1:14 am
there's not enough families to provide them with the level of care they need. and then there is the question everyone asks, i don't think i can do that. what if you become emotionally attached? when it was time for my foster brother to reunite with his family, it broke my heart. looking back, i know we made a difference and it meant something. he left my home in a better place emotionally and physically then when he came in. there is no way to show someone they are valued and loved without becoming attached. it means something to take someone in and show them they are important. what if you don't become attached? thank you. [applause] >> thanks. all right. next, matthew.
1:15 am
>> if you see someone wearing old clothing, you may think he or she is dirty or not worth your time. you may dismiss them. this is a preconception and the preconceptions we have can ruin any chance of a healthy relationship. that person with the ripped up clothing could have been your best friend or even spouse. you dismiss to them on the basis of how they looked. other so many african-americans have to hope when an officer sees the color of my skin they don't assume i am doing something illegal. it is for things like this i have come to speak about police distrust. i was driving a friend home. we were hit by another car. everyone was fine. i called the police to resolve the issue.
1:16 am
as time passed and i waited for the police, i became more and more nervous. i began to think, what if i move too fast? what if they think i'm going to shoot them? what if they shoot me? the type ofxactly world we live in. the type of world that a community can be afraid of the people that have sworn to protect them and untrusting of those protectors as a result. it is not just me that things like this. rehearse ack parents script with her kids to keep them safe. lower your car window so the officer has a line of sight. turn on the light. keep your hands visible. and your license accessible let the officer know you are reaching for them so he does not shoot you. the child does not have to be doing anything wrong. each of them knows because they
1:17 am
have color in their skin they have to be cautious any time the police arrived. this can cause african-americans to not call the police in situations that it will be beneficial to have them. that's insane. the solution is social media. social media can be one of the most influential carriers of change. this is so evident after trayvon martin and martin brown that a htag black lives matter proliferated. another solution is to bring these concerns to your lawmaker. bringing these to be legislative stage can bring changes and changes in how we as a society view black culture. lastly, if you happen to see salmon with dirty clothing, dark
1:18 am
uniform,even a police release your preconception and prepare to love others for who they truly are. thank you. [applause] >> awesome. thank you, matt. in,rom the outside looking it is getting darker in the field. keep their hatred concealed. away from the field, only to be whipped. they've been hating each other ever sense. white supremacy birthed our racism. we look at our sister and started to grade them. look at your brother's complexion. we have a bigger enemy.
1:19 am
although black women love their are not only handsome, but beautiful. beautifully ignorant. uplift. down to when a woman your color walks by. they buy bleaching cream so they can match. mother, cousins, sisters, preached to them to continue down that path. we need to stop separating ourselves from how dark or light we are. like we do with music. he is one of the most
1:20 am
influential rappers of the 21st century and yet you say no. million and a foundation. he still is not real. he would have been in the house. you would have been working the field. we would have been on the same plantation. in 2008, the university of skin tends to have a psychological effect on african-americans. thanss it affects more dead bodies. on the others of our community, --lack right andok to your we, problem. the problem is there is a deep
1:21 am
self division within the black community. we lack awareness and we lack unity. how to stop it? we need to stop it. -- we know about how to love ourselves. stop comparing ourselves to pennies. we have enough to educate each other on our history, beauty, and diversity. you are hurting me. breathon the black dias -- diaspora. just because they hate on us does not give us reason to be coldhearted. thank you. [applause] thank you. next we have james.
1:22 am
>> testing. testing. testing. act, sat, what the hell? we don't need it. we don't like it. we don't want to. because testing is not the best way to measure our knowledge. great advice. it does not create diversity. it does not value creativity or diversity. unique talents and abilities. these tests should be eliminated. tests are too crude to be used and should be abandoned. instead of testing us, we should
1:23 am
have self assessments and surveys that measure our creativity and understanding. this is a digital world. standardized testing has harmful effects on students. it can cause anxiety. when we don't do well, we lose confidence in our abilities about ourselves and we lose interest in school. our classes would be better if teachers did not have to compare us. we are treated like robots instead of human beings. eliminating standardized testing would allow us to be ourselves. these tests are not taking into account the many language barriers that prevent us from doing well. we are talented, but we don't test well. we are primarily tested on reading, math, and writing. what about our problem-solving skills? if you are stressed out from testing, i urge you to get involved. protest.
1:24 am
,ontact your representative your mayor, congressman, even your president. let's encourage students to do it their own way. thank you. [applause] awesome. thank you. next we have charlotte. [applause] >> typically this would be signed into interpretation.
1:25 am
i will be using simultaneous communication. a child surrounded by the sound of silence. in class without an interpreter, without a voice. are you aware of deaf student struggles in everyday life? i'm talking about the demand for american sign language interpretation. according to the are expected to rise 46%. according to the ada it requires studentse services for . 20% of requests are not filled due to the shortage of qualified interpreters. there is a shortage of sign language interpreters in the u.s. and the shortage will increase as the demand for interpreters increases. imagine your deaf child was not
1:26 am
given the same opportunities because they don't have an interpreter to translate for them. the new york times interviewed a deaf student who spent the majority of her school day without an interpreter. she stated she feels lost and trapped inside of the classroom. parents areny letting their deaf child attend a mainstream school without interpreter. but we have a solution. more students need to be made aware of sign language interpretation as a career opportunity. offers programs that can qualify graduates for entry-level work from $20 to $25 an hour. i'm here to ask you to speak to your school and administration about the importance of including asl as a language option in high school so more students are made aware of it as a career path. i ask you to speak out about the
1:27 am
need to hire qualified interpreters so all deaf students can be included. if we don't come together, over 20% of deaf children in the u.s. will never have a voice in schools. thank you. [applause] >> thank you, charlotte. how do you clap and sign language? all right. next we have raven. [applause] >> are you listening? are you listening? what about all of you back
1:28 am
there? are you listening? i have a few words for you. you had better listen. it hits you all of a sudden. it is the middle of the day. you are surrounded by friends. something's not right. there is a feeling in your mind. it is in the pit of your stomach. you want to leave. you want to go somewhere dark. you are being consumed. it is wrecking you from the inside out. what can you do? suffer? that is what many of us did. i will tell you a short story. once upon a time a young girl in a faraway place called milwaukee, wisconsin, was dead. she was afraid. no one understood the pain and emotion she tried to express. how can a quiet person speak out when no one is trying to hear? after countless times in hospitals, she did find someone. she changed schools and found a
1:29 am
home where she could express herself in creativity. that girl is me. she was diagnosed with epilepsy and depression. different types of anxiety and adhd. guess what? not everyone gets a chance to have changed like me. according to the american psychiatric association, 17.1 million youth members have or psychiatric disorder in the u.s. the impact is more than statistics. .t is a feeling, and emotion it is in our families with our friends and communities. having >> the people and families who deal with mental illness need to feel safe, to get help and discuss what is considered the forbidden subject. it is possible and it is time to
1:30 am
have healthy, open dialogue about these subjects and it is time the world learns how. many people throughout the u.s. perceive the phrase mental health as a person that should be in a psychiatric hospital, a teenager or even an adult can be put in an inpatient hospital. how would i know? i was in them. the topic of mental health isn't being taken seriously. i advocated for immigrants last year and i will continue that, but right now i will advocate for the people who are afraid to admit they have depression or bipolar disorder. in case any of you think that suicide is a mental illness, guess what? it is not, it is the cause of one. all those people who decided it
1:31 am
was better if they left the life of the living are just misunderstood and judged for nothing. i would know, i tried. ask me how many times i've tried and i will tell you. i will tell you. straight up. after therapy and psychiatrist, i can admit i'm better now, but the story has inspired me to be better and to tell their stories. i am standing right here in between this piece of tape. i wish i could scream out but i'm not. i want you to remember this speech. let me rephrase that. i need you to help me make a sound about mental health, it is something that needs to be heard and something that needs to be accepted, it is not taboo. it is important. i advocated for immigrants. but i will advocate for people
1:32 am
like made today. bipolar disorder, adhd, depression, those are my main topics today so i hope you were listening. you know what? i have an idea. after my speech, every time you see a social injustice, you hear someone joking about killing themselves, know what you can put a hashtag, change me. fight back for the people who you know are in pain when they see somebody joking about something that shouldn't be joked about. this is extremely serious and i need all of you, youth and adult, this has to be taken more seriously. [applause] right here, i am speaking for all those people who were like
1:33 am
me, that hid in the dark, that cried in the night because they wanted to kill themselves. so right now i am joining the people who want to raise their voice for mental health. i'm not concluding this speech, i'm just beginning. i am going to change the world. you are going to help me. translation, i'm going to change the world, and you're going to help me. [applause] >> ok. you're next. come on up. [applause] >> the sun rose on a beautiful world. birds are chirping, breathing in the clean, fresh air. the dolphins and fish are
1:34 am
playing in a beautiful blue ocean. pedestrians walking down the sidewalk living the good life. , unfortunately, the world i just described is not reality and we need to stop acting like it is. i believe it is time for a change. the world is not what we want it to be and it is only going to get worse without action. we need to stop global warming. according to the national oceanic and atmospheric administration, in 2015 there were 10 weather and climate disaster events in the united states that caused over $1 billion in losses. this spike in storms annually has only been increasing, hurting our economy, environment, but most importantly, ourselves. how sad would it be for me to go to future generations and say i am so sorry we cannot fix it. i , am so sorry that because of the issues i created you cannot
1:35 am
experience it and i'm sorry that despite the undeniable existence of climate change we ignored it. we are like a car heading for a collision course and the only sensible thing to do is to press the emergency brake. so how would we solve this problem? by promoting public transportation. the american public transit association claims public transit saves an estimated 14 million tons of carbon dioxide each year. some school districts are even investing in zero emissions school buses, which are electric. unfortunately, in places like indiana, there is no requirement for a school district to provide bus transportation to their children. we need to get buses in communities where they don't have them and encourage public transportation. a picture-perfect world might be closer than you think, but if we continue to ignore the signs we
1:36 am
have in front of us right now, our dreams for our picture-perfect world will vanish into thin air and might as will be gone forever. not only that, we can hope for a picture-perfect world. but hope without action is meaningless. we have the solutions in her - our hand and now is the time to utilize them. thank you. [applause] >> all right, thank you. how are you feeling? [applause] >> i am a muslim american
1:37 am
student. i am a badger state scholar. i want you to listen to these worlds and try to find the difference between them. [speaking foreign language] the difference between these two words is that the first one comes from the mouth of a non-muslim american student who says the racial slur because it is fun and funny, they do it to every muslim they see because it symbolizes the blowing up of something. the second one comes from the mouth of a muslim man or woman before they pray, when they need help and guidance. it symbolizes the reassurance that god is the greatest and brings us calm and peace. i feel bad for the muslim boys and girls but mostly the girls who wear a hijab on their head that
1:38 am
represents their religion -- they get scared to go anywhere because of the ear being called a terrorist, walking down the hall when suddenly someone yells it out. [foreign phrase] you push it to the far end of your mind because you don't want to be the uncool one or the unfriendly one or the party pooper. just stop, it is not cool, it is not funny, it never was funny and i am here to speak out on behalf of all of the muslims -- not only is this joke offensive but it is also scary, scarier than you walking everywhere, and everyone being scared of you blowing up the place because of your religion because of what you believe in. [foreign language phrase] i have to prepare myself, prepare myself every day for endless questions and comments like what's that on your head? why can't you eat pork? why do you wear long things all the time? what would you do if i just snatched it off your head? all of these get annoying after
1:39 am
getting repeated every five seconds by a stranger but the worst thing i've been told was to warn someone the day before i blow up the school. i take comfort in knowing i am a fun person to be around and these people throw these racial slurs because i am someone who does not care. my religion is not your joke, your religion is not your insult. i am not a terrorist. i am a muslim american. a badger state scholar. thank you. [applause] >> thank you. i'd like to call our last speaker, come on up. [applause] >> hey everybody.
1:40 am
so my favorite artist wrote a song where he said, there's all sorts of drama from trauma that children see, the type of stuff that would normally cause for therapy, but you know how it goes in the black community, we have to keep it in no matter how hard it can be. fast forward they grown and they all smoking trees, popping pills for chronic anxiety. tell me my friends, are you comfortable in your skin, or are you hurting yourself so you can keep it in? in 2017 it seems as though the media adopted prescription drug abuse as the new must to be cool. hip-hop artist newest songs had me and all my friends singing mollie percocet when we didn't even know it was. the drug we know as molly and percocet contain the opium's that are according to the crisis website thes
1:41 am
opiods they contain three and four of the top five leading opioids that causes overdoses and teens. it's funny, we never realize how we entice our children. we never weigh the possibility of them starting fires that swallow most whole. in 2017 i had just left my freshman year, going into my sophomore year wrestling, i played sports in the city, and then i broke my leg right before the wrestling season started. two weeks later, life led me to my older brother's funeral. an injured wrestler, a restless person, a grieving sibling, i sat in my room with a bottle full of pills that made me feel better. all i knew is that the more i took, the less i felt, and the better off i was until i woke
1:42 am
up. so i took more and it went from two to four, to six, to me finishing 90 pills in one week. i was right at the brink of addiction when my doctor realize how fast the prescription requests were coming in, but my parents told me the light in my eyes didn't look the same. they sat me down and they made me talk, and after that i went to therapy. the problem wasn't that i was in pain, the issue was that i was in pain emotionally, that i have problems going on inside of me that i couldn't deal with without talking so i put down pills and picked up conversation. we make the common conversation in the open in american society. we allow
1:43 am
people the opportunity to dream, to be free, to feel weightless as i did, because not many got to be me. many failed to be counted as one of 72,000 to die in drug overdoses in america since 2017. i say that we grab this problem from the root and we allow everyone to express themselves the way they need to, i say we start this conversation because in five minutes we can say five people's lives, in 10 minutes in my speech we can save 20 people's lives. there's no telling what we can do until we start the conversation. so i beg you, i ask you humbly, after hearing my story, after hearing the stories on the news, x amount of teens down over drug overdoses, opiod overdoses, stop numbing the pain and allow them
1:44 am
to express themselves, start the conversation, and if you agree with me start the conversation. say it like you mean it, start the conversation. >> start the conversation. >> say it like you are in church. now post that on your facebook. thank you. [applause] >> another round of applause for these incredible speakers we just heard. [applause] i want to thank all the young people today who spoke, who were brave, who helped us learn about the critical issues facing young people, facing adults, facing our communities in this country, thank you. we are so grateful to learn from you, grateful that you speak out. you all are so powerful and i cannot wait to see what you do next. thank you
1:45 am
to the adults for coming out and supporting youth voice and everything young people are working toward. take what they say to heart and take action on these issues. i want to give a big thank you to facebook education for being an incredible partner in making all this happen. [applause] and have a fantastic night. thank you. [applause] ♪ c-span's washington journal, live every day with news and policy issues that impact you. coming up sunday morning, look
1:46 am
at campaign 2020 and the future of the republican party. with henry olson of the ethics and public policy center. university of kansas history professor david farber, on the 50th anniversary of woodstock heard and the counterculture of the 19 60's. be sure to watch c-span's washington journal, live at 7:00 a.m. eastern sunday morning. join the discussion. announcer: tomorrow on newsmakers, david mcintosh, president of the club for growth, talks about the cause for recent stock market volatility and president trump's trade policy. >> what is happening i think that is causing a lot of that volatility in the marketplace, is the president's strategy with china has required that we impose significant tariffs on china. those are ultimately cost to the american people. at one point, i think he ar

9 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on