Skip to main content

tv   The Young Turks With Cenk Uygur  Current  June 11, 2012 4:00pm-5:00pm PDT

4:00 pm
[ music ] >> cenk: welcome to "the young turks." gaffe game. did the president say something wrong. >> tonight on world news. >> the may jobs report came out and the numbers are not good. >> obama: the private sector is doing fine. >> cenk: how could you say that, expect for the fact that he's kind of right. we'll show you the actual facts. then we have a win in washington state on gay rights. >> i think to myself how could i did my anyonedeny anyone the right to have that incredible bond with another individual in life. >> cenk: that's a republican--except wait. it gets pulled back. the guy who pulls it back. who wants the referendum in
4:01 pm
washington to take away gay rights on the program today. how's that for interesting. he's coming. i'm coming. everybody's coming, including our clown of the day. >> breaking her silence, that's the girlfriend of the man called the cause way cannibal. >> i'm speakingspeaking out with her attorney, gloria allred by her side. >> cenk: why is she the crown of the day? only one way to find out. it's go-time. >> cenk: now i want to warn you guys. last friday president obama said something outrageous. something so hideous. hide the children, here's what he said. >> obama: we created 4.3 million jobs over the last 24 months.
4:02 pm
over 800,000 just this year alone. the private sector is doing fine. where we're seeing weakness in our economy has to do with state and local government. oftentimes cuts initiateed by you know, governors or mayors who are not getting the kind of help that they've gotten in the past from the federal government. >> cenk: oh, my god! how could you say that? the humanity! the private sector is doing fine. i want to rip my eyeballs out. mitt romney already has an odd outadout on him today. >> the worse jobs numbers in the year. >> the may jobs report came out, and the numbers are not good.
4:03 pm
>> just a bat bad number. >> obama: the private sector is doing fine. where we're seeing weakness in our economy have to do with state and local government. the private sector is doing fine. >> cenk: i love the ominous music. [ singing ] the private sector, how could he say that. [ sobbing ] we'll show you that in a second. john mccain is the perfect guy to ask. john mccain said something similar in 2008. except back then the economy was in the middle of of an explosion. that's when we lost all the jobs in the first place. how could you be outraged by this but not outraged by what you said, john mccain.
4:04 pm
>> mccain: the economies are strong. >> you're the perfect person to ask about in this morning. >> back then we had just had a terrible stock market crash a, and the people were very nervous, and i wanted to assure people that the fundamentals of our economy is good. >> maybe that's what he was doing. >> the private sector is doing fine. i would like to show him these small business owns and these closed businesses. it shows the philosophy of the president of the united states. he believes that having state, federal and local governments hire more people. that's the way out. mitt romney believes business creates job. >> cenk: can anybody see what happened in 2008 and what happened now? i didn't see the distinction now. you show the close the businesses. when did they close?
4:05 pm
under bush's collapse that you were a part of, and then said it was no big deal. on to president obama. was he right or was he wrong? let's take a look at the facts. i'll show you public sector growth under george w. bush. hey, that's solid. it's growing at a 4% rate. obama must be off the chart--what? it turns out the public sector actually went found under president obama. in fact, they cut a lot of jobs. i thought they said it was the opposite. now what about the private sector. bush right there, we can see it's going down. under president obama, well look at that, going up. so, in fact, the private sector looks like it did pretty well and the public sector did poorly. just like president obama said. in fact, did you know that this is august of 2008 and again right around where the collapse began to happen, 662,000 jobs
4:06 pm
were lost in the public sector, local, state and federal government. now they're saying it's too much. but we've been shedding government jobs at the clip of hundreds of thousands. how about the private sector. they're not doing fine at all right? i would love for them to be doing better, but the reality is we've had 27 months of straight months job creation. and so was president obama right? largely speaking he was right. of course being right is a big, big crime in washington so everyone is abuzz about it. now let's turn to mitt romney. he had a gaffe of his own. >> he wants to hire more government workers. he wants to hire more teachers, firefighters, police, did he not get the from the american people? wisconsin did.
4:07 pm
>> cenk: in wisconsin, we hate cops, firemen and teachers yes fire them all! is that the message? i hope that's not the message that romney got? president obama will respond with an ad about this. [ music ] >> turn governor romney's tenure was cut dramatically. we lost firefighters and teachers at rapid rates. cities were less safe, not as clean. larger class sizes. >> all the basic services that we rely on are the poorer for mitt romney's administration. >> the man did not care. he didn't care what was going on in our communities. >> by the time that romney left office we were 47th in the nation in jobs terms of job growth.
4:08 pm
>> cenk: all right, now i love the ominous music on that one, too, but at least it's backed up with more reality. do we need more firemen? take a look at a video here. this is the state of colorado. in flames right now. 20,000 acres. they're using four helicopters two air tankers, and you know how many firefighters we have fighting that? 250. then by the way new mexico is also on fire. all these firemen obama didn't you learn from wisconsin? we don't need any of those stinkin' firemen. let's bring in michael hastings. he's contributing editor for rolling stone. which gaffe is worse, obama's or romney's? >> i think firing teachers and fire americanfiremen is worse than saying the
4:09 pm
economy is fine. saying the economy is fine, i really think that this is almost an entirely media-driven narrative. i was a little baffled by it. >> cenk: but is president obama making a mistake? instead of pack backpedaling, shouldn't he come out with these giant charts like we did, public sector, down, private sector added 4.3 million jobs and here is a 12-ounce cup of shut-up juice and say media, report this. >> this is the fine line that the obama campaign is trying to walk here. on the one hand president obama as commander in chief has to go out, insure the market, build confidence with statements like that. on the other hand they have to manage expectations. if they say the economy is great and then three months from now close to the election and the economy does not look so good, they'll be called on it. i think it was a mistake to back
4:10 pm
away and clarify those comments. it shows weakness and the republicans pounced on it. >> i'm not saying that the economy is doing great. i don't think that by any stretch of the imagination. i don'te think that the president had the right strategy. i think he should have done--helped homeowners more than he helped the bankers and that would have stimulated the economy more. but i'm talking about the president saying hey listen, the republicans had the plans to fire all the government workers. but now instead of creating 800,000 government jobs which we normally would under normal growth pattern, we lost jobs and that hurts the private sector. so the republican idea is wrong. isn't that the more important message, to use the opportunity to push out? >> yes, i think that you just made the case more effectively than the obama campaign did over the weekend. that's exactly the argument they should be pushing. part of the problem with these
4:11 pm
crazy media cycles we're in is that the president says that immediately the media jumps on it and says it's a gaffe. then they get back into he said-she said business when it could have been an opportunity like you said to layout the principle and philosophical case of why president obama's vision of governor something superior to candidate romney. >> cenk: you got to layout your case. that's what the presidential election is all about. michael hastings, one guy covering it right. thank you so much, we appreciate it. >> thank you. >> cenk: now when we come back speaking of the media getting it all wrong, there is this whole hubbub about who leaked what on the drones in the kill list, etc. how about talking about the actual kill list. we'll break down that whole terror for you when we come back. >> my white house would purposely release classified national security information is
4:12 pm
offensive. >> mccain: ,well i think it's offensive what has happened. >> that's crazy talk! [ explosion ] >> stephanie: what's that? best i take a break now. >> this is all very strange. >> i agree. something's not right. >> stephanie: it is "the stephanie miller show."
4:13 pm
you want to save money on car insurance? no problem. you want to save money on rv insurance? no problem. you want to save money on motorcycle insurance? no problem. you want to find a place to park all these things? fuggedaboud it. this is new york. hey little guy, wake up! aw, come off it mate! geico. saving people money on more than just car insurance. etch-a-sketch candidate, an image where romney is anti gas.
4:14 pm
hershey's chocolate syrup. stir up a smile. jennifer granholm is politically direct on current tv. >>the dominoes are starting to fall. (vo) granholm is live in the war room. >> what should women be doing? >> electing women to office. (vo) she's a political trailblazer. >>republicans of course didn't let facts get in the way of spin. >>do it, for america.
4:15 pm
[ music ] >> cenk: now recently there has been a number of leaks from washington about some of our top-secret programs including our cyberattacks or nuclear program, the double agent who foiled an al-qaeda attack, and the secret terrorist kill list. >> this is so sensitive and so damaging to our relationships overseas. first of all, it raises to the level of a serious crime and it is really harming the united states' national security. we all ought to be outraged about this mccain: regardless of how useless these leaks may have been to the president
4:16 pm
these have to stop. the leaks have got to stop. >> cenk: outrage. my god, that would never have happened under an republican. john mccain takes it one step further mccain: our intelligence leaders under the administration say this is the worst breach that has ever seen. that's the really offensive. >> cenk: the worst breach ever seen. during the bush administration they leaked valerie's plam's name. i'm sure john mccain was just as upset about that? here's what he said at the time. i do believe that every american has the right of presumption of innocence until proven guilty approximating. karl rove has stated he did not do anything wrong and break any law. i take him at his word. hmm, not quite as outraged when there was an leak that
4:17 pm
endangered somebody's life. under the bush administration they had countless leaks. cybersecurity plan? wait a minute, i thought that was classified. and then the book "bush at war," there were a thousand leaks. it was leaking like a sive. but that's okay. that's to their benefit. and then "against all enemies," richard clark's book. but when republicans do it, it's totally fine. when democrats do it what! there are leaks in washington? i find it deeply offensive. now, at the same time are the democrats being honest with you when they say, oh, well, leaks? here's the president, watch. >> obama: the notion that my white house would purposely
4:18 pm
release classified national security information is offensive. >> cenk: deeply offendsive. everybody is offended. come on, if they didn't get it from the obama administration, who did they get it from? of course they got it from the obama administration. "new york times" said one official after another it's clearly their source. axelrod said no. >> someone in the room with the president was giving out some of this information or discussing classified information. >> i think the authors of all of this work has said the white house is not the source of this information. >> cenk: oh, of course not. it was the underlings we gave it to. if it's not come from the white house, where is it coming from, and why would it be in the middle of an article that praises obama for being so tough.
4:19 pm
and then comments to george stephanopoulos. >> we've been tougher on leaks, and we've been criticized for that. it's the right thing to do because of the very issue raised. we want to make sure that the people we assign to these very difficult tasks are safe or safe as they can be and we want these missions to be successful. >> cenk: that's true. they have been tough on whistle blowers. that is of course if they're leaking stuff that the administration doesn't like. recallremember what they did to bradley manning. he was stripped naked at night. only to degrade him. he was kept in two years in military confinement. with no charges against hip. not even a conviction and no charges against him. they charged him way later. now he faces life in prison saying he aided the enemy. if we find out that axelrod or anyone else leaked that to the
4:20 pm
publications, are we going to strip them naked? god for bid and do this solitary confinement and degrading treatment? of course not. they're part of washington. you only punish whistle blower who is are exposing what the government is doing. in fact, do you know that president obama has broken the record for six wrestle blow whistle blowers talking to the media. espionage act, that's the toughest charge you can charge these people. what is sickist of all is the irrelevance to which the media treats the actual thing revealed. the kill list has the president signing off on killing people on signature strikes. signature strikes are when we have no idea who we're bombing. a personality strike is we think
4:21 pm
there is a terrorist we can put a name to it. we're going to kill him and civilians around him. a signature strike, oh, we don't know who it is. it looks like there are weapons and some sort of activity--oh, bomb them. bomb them. nobody is even talking about that. they're not even outraged by that. they're outraged by who leaked it and who didn't. the republicans agree that it's okay to sill civilians and even american citizens. al-laawaki was never charged. in a yemen missile strike, not a drone strike but missile strike, 55 civilians killed. 14 women, 21 children. not a word about that in any of these programs. they're just playing partisan games back and forth who is at fault, the democrats or the
4:22 pm
republicans, for the leak. now how about the substance. when you talk about these congressmen someone is going to ride to the rescue, right? peter king from new york, trust me, he's not riding to the rescue. he's going to give credit to the president but for killing people senselessly. >> we never used drones until 2011, so i don't think the drones are encouraging attacks. what encourages attacks are weakness. there is always going to be an increase in weapons. that's the history of mankind. that's why we need to make sure that the defense budget is not weakened, and we're in a position to provide leadership. this stuff about droves making enemies, we use nod drones. the only time we used weapons in the 1990s was to defend muslims in bosnia and kosovo and alqaida turned around and attacked us on 9/11. >> cenk: yeah, look what happens happens?
4:23 pm
they attack us. we just killed the bad people. drones are not doing anything wrong. now there is evidence that there are twice as many people who are in al-qaeda and yemen as before. but evidence be dammed had the let's just kill them and see what happens afterwards. listen to the last woke from peter king. >> there are evil people in the world. drones are not evil. we're a force of good and we're using drones to carry out the policies of righteousness and goodness. >> cenk: righteousness and goodness even if we kill 55 civilians. by definition we're the good guys and whoever we're killing are the goodbyes. that's the guy now supporting president obama. are you proud of that policy? i know i'm not. they should be talking about the substance. and in this case the substance is not good for the president. when we come back gay rights seemed to have a victory in washington. it was pulled back. the guy who pulled it back. the guy who is against gay marriage will be on the program. we will have an interesting conversation when we return.
4:24 pm
>> speaking against the vocal majority on behalf of the rights of the minority. and to me it is incumbent upon us as legislatures in this state to do that. president but for killing people senselessly. >> we never used drones until 2011, so i don't think the drones are encouraging attacks. what encourages attacks are weakness. there is always going to be an increase in weapons. that's the history of mankind.
4:25 pm
i have the most common type of atrial fibrillation, or afib. it's not caused by a heart valve problem. i was taking warfarin, but my doctor put me on pradaxa instead to reduce my risk of stroke. in a clinical trial, pradaxa® (dabigatran etexilate mesylate) reduced stroke risk 35% better than warfarin. and unlike warfarin, with pradaxa, there's no need for regular blood tests. that's really important to me. pradaxa can cause serious, sometimes fatal, bleeding. don't take pradaxa if you have abnormal bleeding and seek immediate medical care for unexpected signs of bleeding, like unusual bruising. pradaxa may increase your bleeding risk if you're 75 or older, have a bleeding condition like stomach ulcers, or take aspirin, nsaids, or blood thinners,
4:26 pm
or if you have kidney problems especially if you take certain medicines. tell your doctor about all medicines you take any planned medical or dental procedures and don't stop taking pradaxa without your doctor's approval as stopping may increase your stroke risk. other side effects include indigestion, stomach pain, upset, or burning. pradaxa is progress. having afib not caused by a heart valve problem increases your risk of stroke. ask your doctor if you can reduce your risk with pradaxa. >> it's go time. (vo) at the only online forum with a direct line to cenk uygur. >>if you had to vote for a republican, which one would it be? (vo) join the debate now. ♪ >> cenk: now we're back on "the young turks." the issue of gay rights has been
4:27 pm
trending in the right direction for progressives. in a nationwide poll of cnn that they showed that the majority of americans are in favor of same same-sex marriage. 54-42. that's terrific. other numbers hey, do you know someone who is gay or lesbian? in 2010, it was 59-50. and finally, can homosexuals change orientation? back in 1998 they thought no, yes, 51% could change orientation, and 36% saying no, it's how you're born. now it's 58% saying it's how you're born, there's nothing you can do about it. but in washington state they had a debate and gay marriage won.
4:28 pm
there was a moving speech given. >> and so i just--i think to myself how could i deny anyone the right to have that incredible bond with another individual in life? to me it seems almost cruel. my daughter came out of the closet a couple of years ago and you know what i thought i was just going to agonize about that. nothing is difference. she's still a fabulous human being, and she's met a person that she loves very much, and some day, by god i want to throw a wedding for that kid. >> cenk: it was great. it was a terrific speech. it helped open a lot of paths in washington, mission accomplished, but wait! it was blocked because opponents have filed 200,000 signatures calling for a referendum instead. a local affiliate explains. >> opponents of same-sex
4:29 pm
marriage needed 120,000 signatures to put the law on hold and force the vote. they submitted twice that men, 241,000. >> this is exclusively about defending and preserving marriage as we have known it. >> we are now the policymakers. the legislature gave their input but now the people are the policy make sneezer thepolicymakers. >> cenk: the man you just saw is going to join us. they want to do this referendum to make sure there is no gay marriage. james, welcome to the program. hold on, apparently he's going to join us in a second. i can't wait to sigh what his rationale is. i would love to see if he thought that marriage could be denied for other reasons whether you're born black or jewish, muslim, it's interesting. well, before we talked to him actually, let me give you representative maureen wall walsh
4:30 pm
again. >> speaking against the vocal majority on behalf of the rights of the minority. to me its incumbent upon us as ledgelegislationledgelegislation fors in this state. all of that as we continue the program. >> wildfire instead of burning out of control is expected to get even worse today. >> we don't have streets. we have a river.
4:31 pm
>> that's crazy talk! [ explosion ] >> stephanie: what's that? what just happened behind me? >> liquid hot magma. the airplanes are going to get from one part of the country to the other without any air traffic controllers. i mean this is ridiculous and mitt romney ought to know better. i stand with our public employees and cops and firefighters and their teachers? and everyone likes 50% more cash -- well, except her. no! but, i'm about to change that. ♪ every little baby wants 50% more cash... ♪ fine, you try. [ strings breaking wood splintering ] ha ha. [ male announcer ] the capital one cash rewards card. the card for people who want 50% more cash. ♪ what's in your wallet? ♪ ♪ what's in your...your... ♪
4:32 pm
it doesn't matter who you are. she was trying to be cool. she walks in, bonus, bonus bonus, bonus. [ screaming ] by the way in heels, the same height. [ applause ] >> wow. >> stephanie: she's awesome. as is john fuglesang. thank you, boston. 18 minutes after the hour. let's continue on "the stephanie miller show." >> announcer: for a good time, call now.
4:33 pm
gaeme inc. thank gaemezilinsky, thank you for joining >>(narrator) the sheriff of wall street. >>the leadership of high finance just doesn't get it. >>(narrator) the former governor of new york, eliot spitzer is on current tv. >>somebody somewhere can listen, record, track, gather this data. >>arrangements were made. >>(narrator) independent unflinching. >>there is a wild west quality to it that permits them to do whatever they wish. >>(narrator) and above all politically direct. >>facts are stubborn things. [ music ] >> cenk: all right, we're back on "the young turks." well, we hoped to have two debates. one is on environmental issues. for that i'll bring in jack burkman, founding president of
4:34 pm
the burke burkman associates. good to have you back. look at this james west has also joined us. watch out, jack. here comes james west, a climate reporter. this should be interesting. first let me tell what you is happening. we have fires in new mexico. we have fires in colorado. and we've got floods in florida. let's show you some of the news. >> it was an epic soaking. some places inundated with over three inches of rain in just an hour. just south of mobile alabama, a foot and a half of rain. look at this map, flood warnings and watches from louisiana all the way through the florida panhandle. >> firefighters are trying to control a fire that is expected to get worse today. in new mexico strong winds
4:35 pm
spread the flames quickly and grounded the aircraft trying to battle the flames. >> cenk: is this relateed to climate change. the majority of americans believe so. 69% agree that the global warming is expecting the u.s. weather, and the number you're looking at is extreme weather event. you see how it has skyrocketed over the last set of years? is it coincidence? jack, let's go to you first. is this all a wild coincidence? >> this is one of my favorite topics, as you may know over the years. it's kind of like the killer bees. do you remember the killer bees, they were coming to get us. they were broadcasting night after night, but they never made it. when someone talks about the climate change when there is snow on the ground, if anybody does one hearing on it in the dead of winter i'll believe in it.
4:36 pm
i've made that pledge to liberals. here's the reality. you know this. you have maybe a dozen or more organizations inside the beltway. another dozen outside of the beltway. you have a whole cottage industry of thousands of people who he were their living from this issue. that tells you that the issue will never go away. it's politics and money that drives it. it's a silly issue. the beach in florida, 1,000 years from now will probably be something like one-inch different. we've had fires and floods in the united states going back a million years. >> cenk: i'll let james respond, but i have to jump in. in winter if they ever talk about it, but this winter it was 80 degrees in chicago. in march we broke 1500 weather records. there it is. do you know concede? >> no, it's anecdotal. you're providing snippets here and there. this is all anecdotal. i remember five years ago one of
4:37 pm
my favorite george will columns in the end of 2007 there was this expedition up in the arctic of people looking to prove climate change. it had to be canceled everything was so cold everything froze over. you know what he said? he said, well, this proves our case because it proves our absolutely unpredictable global climate change can be. i hung that on the wall. that's hanging. i blew it up and hung it on the wall. >> cenk: it's called fluctuation based on climate change. we'll let james expert, come in. he says it's anecdotal, james. >> look, we've heard this arguments before. if you put your hand outside it's raining and all of a sudden its raining all over the world and we make these connections between weather and climate. if you talk to the scientists themselves they say let's look
4:38 pm
at the big picture here. let's look at trends observed over many, many years and in many, many different reports that show the increase of temperatures around the world. this isn't an inside the beltway conspiracy that we're talking about here. this is the evidence has been mounting for many, many years that this is going on. let's take the case of today's fire in colorado. we spoke to scientists today who are themselves weary of connecting these to global climate change. they do look at these fires as evidence that they look at in the increasing videos over the next couple of years that will actually be looking at, increase veerty and frequency of fires. i feel like we've heard all of these arguments before. >> cenk: jack, i got to ask you one last question. these are all weather events. if there is a fire, it does not proof global warming.
4:39 pm
i think everybody knows that. i think everybody knows that. but when you see it in totality, 247 extreme climate events. you see the pattern going up and you still don't believe the numbers? >> let me ask you this, this could go on for 12 hours. you believe in it and i don't. even if it is true so what? there is nothing that we can do about it any way. the chinese and the indians will never change. we're just a speck in terms of the pollution. there is nothing we can ever do. and technology will improve in the future. if we're 100 years from now to confront something terrible with floods in florida, new york, and wherever else we'll have the technology to deal with it even if it's all true. it still doesn't make sense to change in. you guys are amazeing. i love this quote so what.
4:40 pm
as usual, he delivers. switching gears let's go to joseph with preserve marriage in washington, he wants to overturn the law passed in washington in favor of gay marriage. joseph, do you think we can vote on everybody's marriage? we can just have a popular vote. for example in dearborn, michigan, if they're majority muslim. guess what, the qur'an law goes. it's about what is the definition of marriage. what is that with the recognition of lots of people. here in washington and most places you can't marry someone who is under 18. you can't marry someone who is already matter. >> cenk: we already passed the law on this. now you want to overturn that
4:41 pm
law. >> correct. >> cenk: but you're trying to block a law that the legislature legislators, and could we say a referendum that says black people cannot marry chinese people any more. >> well, here in washington the people have the power of authority, and we have the power of referendum. >> cenk: so the voters in washington can have a referendum that says blacks are not allowed to marry latinos. >> no, you're missing the county. we believe-- >> cenk: who, why do you believe that? apparently the voters in washington through their representatives disagree with that. that's your crazy idea. tell me why do you think that? what logical reason do you have for that? >> because i think that it's good for kids to have a mother
4:42 pm
and father. >> cenk: they do. they can have two mothers and two fathers. >> i think it's good for them to have one of each. >> cenk: so any single mother shouldorsingle father should have their kids removed here. >> i'm going to ask you to think logically. >> cenk: you said a mother and a father. so do we take kids away from people who don't have both a mother and a father? if it's of course not, why don't you let gays have kids and get married? >> you're asking 17 questions. if you want to know why i think marriage should be between a man and woman, because i think it is uniquely beneficial to have both their mother and father present in their lives and the current definition encourages that. we don't outlaw other situations that happens-- >> cenk: let me ask you about marriage. a kid has a mother and father
4:43 pm
and gets divorced. the father wants to get remarried. well wait a minute. you're not with the mother and the father. >> one does not follow the other. >> cenk: why not? you have to have a mother and a father. the mother is not there. he wants to get married with somebody else? let's stamp it out. >> we're not talking about what we allow people to do. in washington same-sex couples do have relationships, have children and raise them and have all the rights and benefits of marriage that can be given-- >> cenk: but you do not want it recognized as a marriage because you have an problem with gay individuals becoming a married couple. that's literally what your problem is. >> it's because i do-- >> cenk: it's because of the bible, right? because the bible always says that that's been the case. you know you're wrong about that, too, right? you know that's not what the bible says right? >> it's because i do not believe it is a marriage. there are many relationships that are very meaningful to the
4:44 pm
people who involved in those relationships, but-- >> cenk: but it's not something religious but something we legally recognize. you're say you do not want to recognize it. will you please confess it could be your religion. >> it could be anything we decide. we could say that it's anything and that's equity we ask, recognizing that marriages are limited in a number of ways. you can't marry someone who is under 18. you can't marry someone who is already married. >> cenk: those are logical reasons. this is because you hate gay people. that's not logical. you know what, let me ask you a question about the bible. oh, my god marriage is between a man and a woman. how many wives did solomon have? >> i think he had 700. >> cenk: and how many concubine. >> 500. >> cenk: 300, that's right. in a bible a man always has 700
4:45 pm
wives and 500 hookers. >> this is straw man when you're raising arguments that i didn't make and then you knock them down because you think it supports your argument. i have not made any of those arguments. >> cenk: you with not main no local case why a gay couple should have the same exact rights. >> they do. >> cenk: and you know it's because of your bigotry related to what you think your religion is when in fact, it has not been that way for centuries. it has not been that way for millennium. it's not way in the bible. it never has been. but you want to focus everybody's hatred on guy people to take away their rights. >> i'm not sure why you needed me on this program. you are making my arguments for me. >> cenk: mission accomplished. thank you for join us but i don't want to thank you for the hateful referendum that you're putting forward in washington
4:46 pm
that is hatred. that should be apparent. >> watch as a man who plays catch with a stepson. it looks like he drops it. the man approaches him and hits him with his belt. a neighbor videotaping the whole incident. helps make you a better investor. with our revolutionary new e-trade 360 dashboard you see exactly where your money is and what it's doing live.
4:47 pm
4:48 pm
really? no. it comes with a hat. see, airline credit cards promise flights for 25,000 miles, but... [ man ] there's never any seats for 25,000 miles. frustrating, isn't it? but that won't happen with the capital one venture card. you can book any airline, anytime. hey, i just said that. after all, isn't traveling hard enough? ow! [ male announcer ] to get the flights you want, sign up for a venture card at capitalone.com. what's in your wallet? uh, it's ok. i've played a pilot before.
4:49 pm
[ music ] no all >> cenk: all right the government official in california is in a good deal of trouble because a neighbor caught him whipping his stepson. >> it's the video that puts a sadistic twist on america's pastime. watch as a man plays catch with his stepson. the boy drops the ball. the stepfather approaches him and hits him with his belt. finally the neighbor. so angry and yells for him to stop. that's enough.
4:50 pm
i have a problem because he won't catch the damn ball. >> you know my son. >> i don't know your son but i'm watching. i'm a. [ bleep ] father, too. why don't you come over and teach me. >> cenk: damn, that neighbor is really mad. that was water director anthony sánchez weather was doing the whipping. and you saw the video there if you want to call that whipping. that's the question. is this really a felony. i'm going to bring in the supreme court. we have ana and chief justice and our producer hermila. >> there are unknown variables, and the negative reaction is to punishment in germ. if someone is growing up being physically punished from time to time, i understand that it's usually done out of love. i don't know what is going on in this video. i think it's unclear and i think people are jumping to
4:51 pm
conclusions fast, and it's not a felony. >> cenk: the belt does not seem out of love. i'm not sure about that part. i know in california if you spank a kid on the bottom with the clothes on, that is not illegal. but here he's using a belt. >> things need to change. maybe it's not a felony. maybe it's a misdemeanor but maybe there are things that it goes to a felony. maybe this is just the way it used to be. things need to change. there are things that people got messed up in their brains. we end up fine, some of us, we don't know if that's why we ended up fine. there is stuff that needs to be different here. if we get in everyone's life we're on the verge of this conclusion. you can't go and just beat kids and think that's fine. this is another human life. this is not yours. you don't own them. >> cenk: guilty or not guilty. >> it's hard on this particular
4:52 pm
case. you can't see on this one video that's guilty but it's something that you would look into. if he's beating his kid with a belt because he can't catch a ball, he's probably getting a whooping for something else. >> cenk: this is for dropping the ball. he probably doesn't want to play catch any more. ana, do we all agree we can't come to an conclusion but it should be looked into. >> this is not felony child abuse. i think an investigation is in order. and based on what we've seen it might be smart to maybe make him take a few parenting classes to show that hitting your kids is usually not an effective way of disciplining them. that's more important. i hate how we always want to throw people in jail. let's not throw them in prison. that's not going to help the situation. >> cenk: i think people would disagree. looking at that video that would piss a lot of people off and they would like to see him in jail. mainly i'm with jayar that it's
4:53 pm
time for a change. let's put the belts away. let's a agree to that. coming up next is "viewpoint" with eliot spitzer. eliot, what have you got for us? >> eliot: we're talking about a different type of force, drones with katrina van den hoofen. does it work military taylor, does it work institutionally. keith ellison in after effort to overturn citizens united and great conversation we're going to have. and then zach walls a powerful voice out of iowa about same-sex couples. the new study of raising kids with same-sex couples and the progress he has made with the boy scouts. >> cenk: i'm sure the audience knows where i stand after the last segment. i love all three of those topics i can't wait. >> eliot: thanks.
4:54 pm
>> cenk: all right, and when we come back, our clown of the day, who is it going to be and why? this is awesome. you won't want to miss this. >> i love rudy eugene. >> with gloria allred at her side, yovonka bryant said she dated the so-called miami cannibal. home of the brave. ♪ ♪ it's where fear goes unwelcomed... ♪ ♪ and certain men... find a way to rise above. this is the land of giants. ♪ ♪ guts.
4:55 pm
glory. ram. in 2012 alone. go to our website, current.com. up next it's out to the campaign trail. a
4:56 pm
surprising new poll, and that's next right here inside "the war room." majority on behalf of the rights of the minority. and to me it is incumbent upon us as legislatures in this state to do that. [music] ] >> cenk: gloria allred is a celebrity attorney, and she'll do anything to get on camera. she found the mime cannibal's girlfriend. do you remember rudy eugene, he ate the face off the homeless guy. apparently her girlfriend is yovonka bryant. the question is why do we know
4:57 pm
about this? that was the question they were asked at the press conference. >> clearly yovonka had nothing to do with what happened two weekends ago. >> that's correct. >> can you help us to find the news valued in the press conference. >> it's up to you to decide if there is news value in her discussion about who rudy eugene was. >> cenk: there isn't any news. gloria allred wanted to hug another camera, but she thinks cannibalism is very important. >> yovonka and i are very concerned about the issue of cannibalism. >> cenk: you're concerned about the issue of cannibalism? who isn't. that's the most ridiculous anything i every heard until she said, cannibalism is very seriousish is and is very dangerous to the health and well-being of both the cannibal and the victim. that's true, if you get eaten that's very dangerous to your health. of course? god, she's unbelievable, hence our clown of the day. one other note here
4:58 pm
4:59 pm

104 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on