Skip to main content

tv   The War Room  Current  May 15, 2013 3:00pm-4:01pm PDT

3:00 pm
>> michael: coming up, news directors around the country are all thinking the same thing. if we could just get o.j. simpson to blame his legal troubles on the irs. dare to dream folks, dare to dream. i'm michael shure. you are in "the war room." [♪ theme music ♪] >> michael: as a wise man once said, be ware the ides of may? maybe he didn't say that. but he could have said it today to eric holder. the storm clouds are gathering
3:01 pm
overwashington, and the gods of scandal are demanding a sacrifice. i should know that bloomberg news now reports that the irs was also looking at three or more left-leaning organizations as well. and one of those groups had their tax exempt status denied. and the president will be speaking on that shortly. john boehner wants heads to role. >> my question isn't about who is going to resign. my question is who is going to jail over this scandal. >> michael: tough talk from john boehner, but give the guy a break, he is probably upset nancy pelosi called him weak yesterday. there is bipartisan support for accountability at the irs.
3:02 pm
representative sandra levin the democrat of michigan called for the agencies top brass to step down. >> my own judgment is just based on the report of the inspector general. i think there's reason to believe that mr. miller should be released of his responsibilities as well. there was total mismanagement. >> michael: irs commissioner has responded today. he said he identified what he called two rogue employees in the agency's cincinnati office who were quote, overly aggressive. but the irsing scandal is just one of many today. the investigation as to whether the just disdepartment tapped the associated press phone lines are getting tongues wagging. and both sides have called for action. holder responded, he said he was
3:03 pm
not personally involved in the case because he had recused himself because he regularly deals with members of the media, including the associated press. >> the head of the rnc called for my resignation in spite of the fact that i was not the person involved in that decision, but be that as it may, i was recused in that matter as i described in a press conference that i held yesterday, the decision to issue the subpoena was involved in the people handling the case. i am not familiar with the reasons why the case was constructed in the way that it was because i'm simply not a part of the -- of the case. >> michael: he also revealed he was not only interviewed in the investigation, but also turned over records of his own phone calls. but that was just the beginning.
3:04 pm
the answered questions on a wide variety of projects like benghazi, whether he consults with media matter iss, and darrell issa asked him about labor nominee tom perez. issa accused the just disdepartment of trying to hide information in emails it had submitted to congress for his nomination. >> will you make them available to the committee based on our bipartisan request? >> i will certainly look at the request. it is not something i have personally been involved in but i'll try to be as responsive as we can. i'm sure there must have been a good reason why only the to after from parts -- >> yes, you didn't want us to
3:05 pm
know the details. >> no -- >> mr. chairman would you inform the witness as to the rules of this committee -- >> -- it's unacceptable and it's shameful. >> michael: wow, that was really cool. talk about a wise man holder did speak the truth. next up was someone who isn't so wise. loui gohmert who wanted to know about the boston bombings. you know this is going to be good. so watch. >> on the one hand we go after christian groups like billy graham's group franklin graham's group, but then we're hands off when it comes to possibly offending someone who has been radicalized as a terrorist. >> let me say this. you have made statements as meters of fact -- >> you point out one thing that i said that was not -- >> you don't know what the fbi
3:06 pm
did. you don't know what the fbi's interaction was with the russians. you don't know what questions were put to the russians whether those questions were responded to. you simply do not know that and you have characterized the fbi as being not thorough, or taking exception to my characterization of being thorough. i know what the fbi did. you cannot know what i know. that's all. >> michael: man was he good today. gohmert was back on his boot spurs a bit, and then started whining about character assassination. >> when you attack somebody's integrity and say they make statements that were not true, then of course that raises a point of personal privilege, but the attorney general failed to answer my question -- >> gentlemen -- >> gentlemen -- >> -- aspersions on my arper
3:07 pm
gas. >> what your asparagus, sir is out of order. well said representative gohmert. well said. maybe it's time for you to recuse yourself. joining us now is current tv's own bill press. welcome back inside "the war room," bill. >> you can see why we're having to much fun in washington these days, michael. >> michael: what will happen if loui gohmert loses some day. i will be so depressed. >> i know and michele bachmann and darrell issa we wouldn't have anything to do. >> michael: know, but they would be replaced with somebody probably just as good -- >> or equally bad >> michael: yeah. >> bill, you have been critical or eric holder. how did you feel he did today.
3:08 pm
>> i thought he held his own today. i think he has outlived his usefulness with the president. he served him well for four years, but i think we would be better served by another attorney general, but i don't buy all of the piling on on the part of republicans. let's take the associated press and the department of justice investigation, which i think is the most serious of the three things people are talk about. republicans blamed obama for leaking all of this stuff for trying to make himself look tough on national security. and now that the -- that they maybe were overzealous with their investigation, now they want to go after and blame the obama administration for investigating the way they asked them to investigate. that's nonsense. >> you know what is better than their hip cock aresy is when
3:09 pm
they get out caught in their own hypocrisy and then get blamed for it. i was always under the belief that eric holder was going to serve a little bit into the second term and then move on. he was pretty tough and pretty good there today. >> he was. >> michael: are you scared if we replace that torn general that all of the work -- and i have a lot of problems with eric holder, how he didn't go after the banks -- you and i share that. >> yes. >> michael: but he was really good on civil rights and voter id. are we scared with perez probably going to the cabinet if they every bring it up, and holder leaving, that that might suffer? >> no, i think he would get another attorney general in there who would follow through on his priorities. and i give eric holder credit on those areas you mentioned. but i am disappointed he didn't go after the banks or george
3:10 pm
bush or dick chen -- chenny but of course that wasn't his decision. benghazi is a political side show. the irs thing, as soon as the president speaks it's going to be off the front pages. but the department of justice thing should trouble us as journalists and civil libertarians, because this is part of the obama administration's obsession with leaks. and they have been more aggressive with leaks than any other administration. the orders had to come to the justice department from the white house. >> michael: and that's the part that has been missing in this conversation, and i would think one of the most egregious parts of all of it. and what do you think of holder's response where he is saying, hey, this threat rose to a level where we had to get
3:11 pm
involved and find out who leaked this threat, when in fact there is different information coming out about that. >> i don't buy it. right? look, this was an attempt to bomb an airline on the way heading to the united states. the intelligence agencies found out about it thwarted it and the white house announced it which the associated press sat on it for four days and said if they are going to announce it anyway, we'll report it. if this put the entire american people at risk, i just don't see it. >> michael: and what do you think, if there is a shield law? do you think this might lead to a shield law already? tell me about that. >> yeah first of all, you see the white house in full damage control today and yesterday, and
3:12 pm
particularly today, and i think very effectively, right? on the benghazi -- on benghazi releasing these 100 pages of emails. they should have dointne it earlier. they did it today, brilliant move. i think you'll see heads will roll starting with steven miller. we'll know that shortly. and now calling for again immediate shield law, which remember republicans blocked in 2009, president obama supported it then, and working with chuck shum shum -- schumer to bring it back, i think that's very, very important. it's needed, and for the white house to support it really helps them get over as they say the biggest hurdle of all. >> michael: tell our viewers what the shield law would do. >> it would make it tougher and
3:13 pm
a big tougher test for the justice department to have to go -- and to be able to go to reporters and demand their sources and demand the record of any emails or any phone calls or any meetings with -- with their sources. there is an exception -- there would be an exception in it for matters of true national security. and that is always a sticky point, michael. >> michael: right. >> it has to be in there, but how do you define that is what republicans were able to use to stop this law in 2009. they wanted a much tighter test on national security. so the media shield law is a fine balance. it gives reporters protection to do their jobs without the intimidation that they are going to end up in court or jail for
3:14 pm
doing their jobs and reporting good solid stuff, and provides windows for national securities, where there are cases when the administration would say we can't report this because this would blow the cover of some of our agents, for example. >> michael: i see, so that is something that would have made this a vitally different situation. >> right. in this case -- there was no way the department of justice could justify going after 20 phone lines, 100 reporters, and editors for two months for the associated press. that is massive overkill without telling them right, that we need this information. the media -- the media shield law would prohibit that kind of massive digging. >> michael: right. and that's clear from this. so, you know looking -- you said today was actually a really
3:15 pm
good day. because you got responses, some too late, some right on time from the white house. it is all coming out today. is this the kind of situation where maybe dennis mcduna got in there and then they just get the ball back? >> yeah, i think so. and i give dennis a lot of credit here. he's a very -- i know him well. he is a very swift manager, very sharp, and very aggressive and i think he realized that they were floundering. it looked like the perfect storm, and i think they have turned it around. i don't want to let them totally off of the hook on the leak obsession, but looking strategically, i think they are plague it well. the other thing we have seen, michael is one thing you can count on is republicans overplaying their hand.
3:16 pm
john boehner suggesting that people ought to go to jail before we even know the facts. james inhoff calling for impeachment. darrell issa being the total freakin' jerk that he is, right? >> michael: yeah. >> they see these are nothing but partisan hacks. >> and yeah it's almost like they fumble it each time they get it. this could have played very well into their hands. i think the most difficult situation of course is what happened with the associated press, and is the just disdepartment -- their involvement there. but the republicans did have a chance to make some hey out of this especially the irs, which clearly seemed to target what they were doing. so they blew it again. >> right. and here again we're already
3:17 pm
seeing -- like franklin graham came out today claiming he was the victim of political persecution because he was audited. the truth is there are a lot of phonies out there who have applied for tax-exempt status and a lot of them have it. start with the church of scientology, you know? and we could go down the list. the irs -- we want them to do their job. where they went wrong was targeting these little tea party groups, none of which lost their tax-exempt status, but instead of looking at both sides of the aisle at the same time if you will. the other thing the irs has done wrong is they have let the big banks and karl rove and the big political pacs off of the hook right.
3:18 pm
but i can tell you everybody who has ever audited by the irs believes they are the victim of a conspiracy. we even have one tv anchor say -- he was audited because he was on television giving the news. baloney. >> michael: it's ridiculous and frank -- franklin graham saying there is a war on religion in this country. come on. >> yeah. and jonathan karl from abc news raised that franklin graham complaint at the briefing today as if it was worth the time of the white house to respond to. >> michael: yeah, he is the one that asked the president if he still had the juice. he is sitting in the front row. i have heard a lot of people say the one good way to get rid of
3:19 pm
the impression in the media is to get rid of that whole front row. i'm not advocating that but he has asked very strange questions of late. >> as a member of the white house press corps, and i'm there every day, i will decline to comment on that last remark. [ laughter ] >> michael: and i'm not casting asparagus on you either. i'll withhold myself. but bill, before i let you go and before we hear the president. i want to ask you if this somehow will be a silver lining if they get a shield law and changes in campaign finance because they see how these groups operate. do you think there is a silver lining to this? >> i think there very well could be. and with the irs what we need is to get rid of citizens united. this shows why citizens united is such a problem, because it spawned all of these groups that are looking to take advantage of
3:20 pm
the 501 c4 when they can call themselves an education group. blame the supreme court for that. i also think we might get the -- the real fix is some clear legislation that defines exactly what a 501 c4 is so you can't play games with it. you can't just say if most of what we're doing is education, but 49% is politics we still sneak in. and congress has never given the irs that clear policy. the other way i think i could be a silver lining is the obama administration getting its footing here. get these three things behind you. >> michael: bill i have to interrupt you. the president is speaking. >> obama: applying for tax-exempt status, and i look forward to take some questions at tomorrow's press conference but today i want to make sure to get out to all of you some
3:21 pm
information about what we're doing about this. and where we go from here. i have reviewed the treasury department wash dog's report and the misconduct that uncovered is inexcusable. it's inexcusable, and americans are right to be angry about it. and i am angry about it. i will not tolerate this kind of behavior in any agency but specially in the irs given the power and reach it has in all of our lives. as i said earlier, it should not matter what political stripe you are from, the fact of the matter is, is that the irs has to operate with absolute integrity. the government generally has to conduct itself in a way that is true to the public trust, that is especially true for the irs. so first we're going to hold the
3:22 pm
responsible parties accountable. yesterday i directed secretary lou to follow up on the audit to see who was responsible and to make sure we understand all of the facts. today secretary lou took the first step by requesting and accepting the resignation of the acting commissioner of the irs, because given the controversy surrounding this audit it's important to institute new leadership. second we're going to put in place new safeguards to make sure this kind of behavior cannot happen again. and i have directed secretary lou to make sure they implement the ig's recommendations right away. third, we will work with congress as it performs its oversight role. and we have to make sure that we are working hand in hand with congress get to this thing fixed. congress democrats and
3:23 pm
republicans, oh it to the american public to treat it in a way that doesn't smack of politics and agendas. because across the board everybody believes that what happened is an outrage. the good news is it is fixable. i'll do everything in my power to make sure nothing like this happens again. by holding the responsible parties accountable, but putting in place new checks and new safeguards, and going forward by making sure the law is applied as it should be, in a fair and impartial way, and we have to make sure that the laws are clear so that we can have confidence that they are enforced in a fair and impartial way. that's what i expect. that's what the american people
3:24 pm
deserve, and that's what we're going to do. thank you very much. >> michael: bill we just saw the president -- a decisive resolute president, i always think when they move something from the press room to the east room that he means business. do you think this was a good start? >> i think it was. he read the report, he was outraged by the reported he called the secretary of the treasury in today and said you have got to start by getting rid of the guy that was in charge at that time, put new safeguards in place, and calling on congress. i think this was off of the front pages michael. >> michael: yeah, and what it may say on the front pages is the president resting this away from everybody else and saying i got it. and i think it's fixable.
3:25 pm
>> one thing -- that obama does very well, when he gets angry, you can tell. and when he is angry, he really means business and he takes action. and this didn't take three weeks or whatever. it was basically overnight that he jumped on this case and took corrective action. i think he comes out a winner in this. >> yeah, i happen to agree with you. bill, i agree with you a lot. please come back soon. we have a ton to talk about here on "the war room." we'll be back after this with all of that.
3:26 pm
3:27 pm
>> michael: there's plenty of gray area in the bebait over aboegsa abortion abortion. but the actions of dr. kermit goznell were inexcusable and gruesome. he was arrested for murdering three newborn babe beasties.
3:28 pm
several clinics testified that after these surgeries had gone awry dr. goznell killed the babies by cutting their spines with scissors. he gave up to his rights for appeal in exchange for dropping the death penalty. he was also convicted of 24 counts of performing an abortion beyond 20 weeks. pro choice advocates are citing the incident of a horrific example of the back ally abortions that could result if abortion were outlined. kelli goff of "the root" joins me now to talk about that. welcome back.
3:29 pm
>> thank you. >> michael: will this case impact the abortion right's movement? >> i think the pro life or anti-choice movement wants to make the case the face of the reproductive rights movement. they want to say this is what this is really all about is the murder of babies. and this reinforces precisely why we need more access to contraception. and it shows why we need more access for low-income women to reproductive health care in general. but i think that the goznell case is a real opportunity for the reproductive rights movement. and what i need by that is that for too long i think there has been this black and white discussion of abortion, you are either with us or against us.
3:30 pm
and planned parenthood found in their own polling this year that people are frankly sick of those labels. pro life pro-choice do nothing to address the realities of what americans feel about the abortion. look at the murdoch and akin political races. they still recognize if a woman has been raped or victim of incest, no one should have the right to judge the choice she makes. the problem is while a majority of americans oppose overturning roe v. wade an overwhelming majority also oppose late-term abortions. >> michael: so then hearing what you just said and having read what you wrote, don't you think then that main stream reproductive rights advocates should be doing more to turn
3:31 pm
this into a policy debate? >> no, i actually think -- i had a very heated exchange with a devout progressive friend of mine who felt very strongly that it is dangerous territory by seeding any ground on something like late term abortions. he said that's the back door. and that's what they want is to get us back there and overturn roe v. wade. >> michael: right. they chip away and chip away. >> but the problem is i think because they have been fearful of that they are applying defense instead of offense. they play defense when a state like north dakota implements a completely ridiculous extremist abortion law that is basically the moment of conception and
3:32 pm
that doesn't represent the majority of americans either. the majority of americans believe in abortion to an extent. but they also believe that late term abortion should not be legalized. and we don't imagine, or give credible to that, and i think it causes them to lose credibility with americans who are really on their side. >> michael: that makes total sense, but it is part of a big chess game. it's trying to see what your opponents are going to do and playing off of them. so it makes all of the sense in the world. with the goznell case some people are wondering why the story didn't play bigger in the national media. daye gardner who is the president of the national black pro life moment said . . .
3:33 pm
what is your take on why this didn't get more initial media attention? do you think that race was a big part of that? >> i think it's race and class. it always is. this is like when we talked about the newtown shooting on this show and what would have happened if this would have been inner city because we saw how many kids have died there. and just like i said, if will smith's kids were killed in chicago, it would get lots of coverage, but those are not the kinds of kids being killed every day. i do -- i hate the whole liberal bias thing. i think it is usually overblown and ridiculous, i do think there is a concern on the part of some writers who probably feel like i do, which is they believe in some form of reproductive rights, but they also believe
3:34 pm
what kermit goznell did was horrific, and if you give too much weight to a case like this it gives creed dance and power to those who say, ah-ha, that's what pro choice is all about. >> michael: yeah they seem to tiptoe around it because there was a fear that if it got too much attention it would be a problem. keli we always have a good time when we talk, but i did want to leave with something light because we always have a good time. so let's talk about speaker of the house john boehner. check out this story in the national enquirer the marriage of boehner's daughter lindsay. this guy a jamaican-born construction worker with a marijuana conviction record is not what you would have in mind.
3:35 pm
>> right. it wasn't just the national inquirer, they did have photos from the wedding. and we give john boehner a tough time for very good reasons most of the time. but there are a lot of parents particularly of a certain class, age, and yes race who would have not have embraced an immigrant, foreign black, manual laborer who has a drug record and celebrate him marrying their daughter. but what it said to me is here you have a conservative who is from a southeastern state who is supposed to be the face of the anti-obama anti-new brown america movement who now has a multi-racial family and he was showing that he is okay with it. it was a great message. >> michael: is daughter is white, his son-in-law is black,
3:36 pm
and he is orange. >> that's right. >> michael: up next here in "the war room," a film that puts a light on a national epidemic. the director of "shell shocked" joins me next.
3:37 pm
3:38 pm
♪ >> michael: ever since the tragedy at newtown we have diligently covered the effects of gun violence on the nation. at least 4,101 americans have died as a result of gun violence gin newtown. that's a tough escalate from "slate" magazine that's 158 new townes since newtown, and 66 of them were in new orleans, louisiana. this horrific scene happened on mother's day in new orleans. thankfully no one die. an fbi spokesperson said it is
3:39 pm
strictly an act of street violence in new orleans. in 2010 louisiana had the worst gun murder rate in the country, 2.5 times higher than the national average. it is leaving many young people shell shocked. and that is the title of the new documentary. let's take a look. >> growing up in certain neighborhoods make you feel like you need something to protect yourselves, and your fists is not going to protect you these days. >> dudes don't fight no more. >> we could get shot just standing here right now. just cus. >> michael: the director john richie joining us now from materials. john welcome inside "the war room." >> thank you for having me michael.
3:40 pm
>> michael: why did you make this film? >> about four years ago i started working with kids and we were doing this program where kids were doing this anti-violence campaign, and we -- we did this program where we -- i asked them to take a moment to -- write down a time that they witnessed, perpetrated or experienced violence, and when i picked up the papers i realized each of the kids i had worked with had lost family member of friend to gun violence, and that was very normal in their lives and i thought about how odd it is that we accepted this as a society. that death in an african american community with their kids is an normal occurrence. >> michael: yeah, it's unbelievable every time you see it, and then we walk away from it. i want to play a clip from your
3:41 pm
film. >> i am tired of people having children and hoping that they make it. our children are not supposed to make it. >> don't help me when my boy is dead. i don't want your help. don't come with your potato solid and words of condolences, help me while he is alive. >> michael: the mother's day parade was created to address gun violence and there is a 19 year old who shoots into the crowd injuring 19 people. >> yes, the sad thing is this did become a major story. this was covered in the national press. a friend of mine in australia had heard about it. the sad thing is this, is when it happened to one loan individual -- as far as young african american youth as far as being a victim of a shooting then it pretty much goes unacknowledged. this one was picked up by the
3:42 pm
national press because there were 19 people shot white people were shot and that's what has brought attention to this shooting. but shootings happen all the time here with innocent bistanders. >> michael: i lived in new orleans for a brief time and everything there is sort of the extreme of everything, the drunks are drunker, the food is richer, and the poor are poorer. and because it is practically an every day thing there, that locally it's desensitizing. why is there only political momentum after shootingslike newtown and aurora et cetera? >> i think because it's less common place. and african american youths have been marginalized for a long
3:43 pm
time. so it's not that it is not tragic, but we write it off as being black on black violence. as if that's an excuse. but i think with the kids here when they get shot people -- i mean it's not sthat less tragic it is something that people write off as being a normal every day occurrence, which is a problem. >> it's a huge problem. and people overtime have pointed to it being about drugs. but that's not the case is it? >> drugs often -- they will play a factor as far as into some of the problems, but i think that whenever we say it must have been about drugs it's a way of dismissing the victim. it's a way of saying they must have sdefshed it. we have found that oftentimes these shootings that happen are normal beefs, normal conflicts
3:44 pm
that happen between kids be it about girls, or somebody ribbing somebody too hard the difference is this conflict resolution can end in somebody getting shot. >> michael: before i let you go i want to play one more clip. >> in louisiana the law states you must be 21 to buy a handgun, but you can buy a hunting rifle at the age of 18. >> assault weapon falls under the indication of a hunting rifle. so if you can buy one, you can make 4 or $500 in the hood and have ak with a 30-round clip. >> i think that, you know
3:45 pm
looking at preventative measures such as youth programs that's a positive way to deal with this problem. at that point you are putting positive influences into kids lives that might need it and let them have viable options. but we need to look at the gun laws and regulations and enforce the tlaus-- laws that we already have. >> michael: louisiana is a tough place for guns now. whoever distributes this film will be making a smart business decision and making a public service. we posted a link to his film on our website, current.com/thewarroom current.com/thewarroom. after the break we're going to continue to focus on guns and specifically getting guns off of college campuses. i can't believe we're saying that, in texas of all places.
3:46 pm
that story is next.
3:47 pm
3:48 pm
3:49 pm
3:50 pm
♪ >> michael: washington might be focused onning scandal, but we're still focused on the gun debate. a bill to allow concealed weapons on college campuses is moving to the senate in texas. here are some of the arguments from yesterday's hearing. >> the motions are not a sufficient basis for legal action against chl holders. when i consider the steaks for the various people involved in this argument, chl holders like myself, we're at risk of not being able to be fully responsible for our our -- ourselves. >> students would be allowed to have success at college without the added danger of increased
3:51 pm
access with guns. there is enough stress on students. also i want to fit one word in besides for the safety of the students that profess source i believe should be allowed to teach without feeling as if a student has them in their cross hairs. >> michael: joining us now from fort worth, texas is one of the students leading the fight against the bill. gary jones is a senior at texas weslain university. welcome back in "the war room." >> thank you for having me. >> what is your plan to keep texas on this list now that it's on the way to the senate. >> our plan is to have students contact their representatives contact their senators and make their voice heard. we started without a petition drive against senate bill 182,
3:52 pm
which was defeated. and yesterday we went down to austin and made our voices heard. we had double the amount of students testifying before the committee, so we're going to keep making our voices heard have students contact their representatives and make sure we can keep guns off of our college campuses. >> michael: what is your sense, do you feel you are optimistic, or is the opposition really too strong? >> my sense is that we have a good -- we have got history on our side. the past few sessions -- this legislation has failed. it has not passed even though it has had overwhelming support. my sense is that a lot of students are concerned about this, a lot of parents, administrators, police officers are concerned. we're going to make our voices heard and contact our representatives, and i feel we can defeat this legislation if
3:53 pm
enough of us contact the right people and we do our job. >> michael: yeah there should be a way to only have college students vote on this. >> yeah. >> michael: texas has a history of campus shootings. how do you convince your classmates that they don't need guns for protection at school? >> i think -- i think college students know they don't need guns for protection at school. the overwhelming majority of students don't want this bill. so i think they know through logic and through experiences on college campuses that campuses aren't an environment for guns. there is too much volatility theft, and students recognize that and the people teaching them recognize that. so students are behind us it's just getting that point across
3:54 pm
to the legislators. >> michael: when you say the princeton review said texas a&m is the most conservative school in the country, and even if 57% don't want guns in the classroom, that says lot. what about some of the other conservative colleges? >> i can name only two schools who have had opinion polls where student governments come out in favor of this. the vast majority of schools, from texas a&m, to the university of texas, there have been opinion polls that say that students are opposed to this. so i -- it's very clear and i made that point yesterday when i was discussing this in front of the committee, that students don't want this, the sampling we have is extremely clear. >> michael: your advocacy is so
3:55 pm
important because you are with the young democrats as well. what it is like organizing young democrats in red state texas? how long it is going to take to get you, a democrat elected to state-wide office? >> there is a lot of work to turn the state blue. so we're doing a lot of work, but organizing on college campuses in texas is a challenge. i have been doing it since 2010 and i will continue to do it because it's really important. but it's challenging, some of our schools like texas tech and texas a&m when students have gone out campaigning for barack obama in 2012 they have had people threaten them. so it's challenging, but it's also very rewarding. you can be sitting at a table, and somebody walks by and whispers in your ear, hey, i'm a democrat.
3:56 pm
you see students because we're in such a red state they are really passionate and passionate about their beliefs and do a lot of really good work. so it's challenging, but really fun. >> michael: and when you tell a story about tabling at those places, that's another reason why you don't want guns on campus as well. >> absolutely. >> michael: i want to hear what you have to say about ted cruz and does he make your life easier or more difficult? >> it's really funny. the "huffington post" wrote an article last summer when ted cruz won the primary, announcing in addition to teen texas scary with a team of rick perry and the list goes on and on. it makes it really difficult. >> michael: it makes everybody's life fun though when you get to hear loui gohmert.
3:57 pm
thank you. and thank you all for joining us here in "the war room." "the young turks" are next. have a great night. we'll see you tomorrow.
3:58 pm
3:59 pm
4:00 pm
[ ♪ theme music ♪ ] >> this administration currently has at least three scandals swirling around it. >> i certainly remember when african-american churches were targeted by the ir. >> try to keep information out in order to disguise what is goingon. >> seizing the phone records misleading the american people on benghazi. >> i don't know what happened. i simply don't know what happened at this stage with regard to the press' ability to gather information and to disseminate it

54 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on