Skip to main content

tv   Sunday Morning Futures With Maria Bartiromo  FOX Business  November 22, 2015 6:00pm-7:01pm EST

6:00 pm
>> thank you. great seeing you guys. >> good seeing you. have a good weekend. good sunday morning. brand-new fox polls this morning putting the spoctlight on how americans feel about the refugee plan. i'm maria bartiromo. welcome to "sunday morning futures." what will come of the president's plan to accept at least 10,000 refugees into the country? after news of at least one paris attacker posing as a refugee. and the house approving a plan to tighten the refugee system. house foreign affairs committee ed royce with me in moments. the president with strong words for russian president vladimir putin on who his forces are targeting and the fight against isis and syria. retired four star general jack keane with me on the military and diplomatic relationship
6:01 pm
between the u.s. and russia coming up. and the gop's top donor not handing over any money to any presidential campaign yet. charles coke explains why. he'll join me as we look ahead this morning on "sunday morning futures." the house passing a bill which would tighten the screening of syrian refugees trying to enter the united states. 47 democrats breaking from president obama in voting for the stricter security plan. the bill would require 3 high ranking administration officials to sign off on each refugee entering the country. and the concerns of the house also being shared by the american public. look at this breaking poll, a fox news poll showing that 67% of voters now oppose the president's plan to accept 10,000 syrian refugees into the country. joining me now is california congressman ed royce, the chairman of the house foreign affairs committee. thank you very much for joining us this morning. >> thank you, maria. >> i want to ask you about the threats to america. we saw the video from isis on
6:02 pm
the internet showing times square. how credible are these videos? should we be worried? >> we, in new york city, have been able to knock down 12 potential attacks, planned attacks, after 9/11, successfully. so the united states has a history of post 9/11 of being able to prevent attacks. at the same time, clearly, isis is trying to carry out the attacks and now they have a safe haven, a safe haven with their caliphate where they plan and train people. and that's what's so dangerous here. >> and they have clearly begun to infiltrate the flow of refugees. >> they did. obviously the bomber who blew himself up outside of the stadium in paris, he himself was carrying a syrian passport, had come in through greece with that refugee population. >> so what is the answer here? talk to us about the bill that is in the house right now, to make it stricter and tougher for refugees to get into the country. the president said already he will veto that.
6:03 pm
>> yes, but that bill passed by better than 2 to 1 margin with large bipartisan support and what that bill does is try to have a vetting process where right now the fbi have indicated to us that they don't have the data to really vet. they don't have the intelligence on many of these individuals and, remember, even in the case of some of the iraqi refugees, we later found out four of them had been terrorists. so what we're saying here is that we need that in place and we need the director of the fbi and homeland security to sign off by attesting that we have got the -- the capability to vet and we want to see that in place so that we can protect american citizens. >> can the president prove that the vetting process can in fact be done effectively? when you -- talk to us about the vetting process. we all know america has a huge heart, that we want to keep our borders open. however, when you consider the
6:04 pm
fact that isis has infiltrated the flow of refugees, how do you vet, how do you get the information you need? >> witwo points here. one is having the president assert this is not to us as the solution, the solution is to have the director of homeland security, of the fbi, they need to attest to us that because they're the agencies that are raising the concerns with congress, about not having the background on these specific individuals. second, if the president is really concerned about this situation, maria, why didn't the president in the first place authorize the use of the air strikes to stop isis from taking this territory and helping to create this refugee flow. and why won't he sign off, for example, on today, the type of robust air campaign against isis or why doesn't he sign off on arming the kurds and the yazidis
6:05 pm
and the tribesmen, sunni tribesmen? can you imagine the frustration of having 190,000 kurdish soldiers, 30% of them female, not having access to the type of weaponry that isis has. they don't have the mortars, the artillery, the long range or the anti-tank guns. so we really need to have a reversal of his policies. >> why is the president pushing back on this? i mean, i just don't understand it. he said he wants to defeat isis. >> if he wants to defeat isis, then why not support the suggestions that have been made all along to have not just a robust air campaign, we have 3500 u.s. trainers and special opens and forces in the region trying to help the kurds and the sunni tribes that are fighting isis. why not allow them to have the weapons? why not authorize our pilots to be able to hit these targets? three-quarters of the pilots come back without dropping any
6:06 pm
ordinance because they can't get authorization from the white house. so under this kind of circumstance, he's tied our hands with the containment strategy, where he keeps claiming despite all the evidence that isis is carrying out attacks now and recruiting from all over the world because people think they can't be defeated, he keeps asserting they're contained. no, they're not. >> the issue he keeps bringing forward is that he doesn't want any civilian casualties. if we have got so many of our air strikes that are actually at the end of the day not working because they're not actually hitting the targets because there are civilian casualties, is that the answer? >> it is not civilian casualties. look at what the french did to hit four of the training camps of isis. they said, those are training camps. we're going to take those out after the paris bombings. we must allow our pilots and those on the ground, our spotters, with the u.s. military, and we must allow the
6:07 pm
kurds and yazidis and others that want to do the fighting to take the fight to the enemy. this idea you're going to not only avoid casualties, but you're not even going to offer a safe zone, which both political parties, people have said, protect, protect the sunnis, yazidis and kurds up in the north by offering a safe zone, so that the refugees have a place where they can be safe. if he's not even willing to do that action, how are we going to defeat isis? we need a reversal of the strategy. >> do you have any backing to say why the president is taking this stance? what does your gut tell you? why does he keep saying no to the things that you and so other military men have been saying this is not working, this is a failure? >> i think he's underestimated the danger of isis from the beginning. it was the jv team. it was never going to be a threat to the united states.
6:08 pm
but we found because of the internet and their ability to exploit their victories on the battlefield that now they have become a recruit ing problem, not just in europe, but in the united states. so he should go back to his basic premise and rethink that thought that this is not a big problem. second, i think he's averse to taking on the attitudes in the shia capital of baghdad and in iran by actually helping the kurds, helping the sunni tribesmen fighting isis, helping the ya zezidis. why? it is not in the interest of the shia led governments. he needs to re-evaluate that position as well. he should not be toying with this relationship with iran and the shia led government in baghdad at the expense of the stability and the region to keep pushing this. >> we got to get to eric. we want to look at the impending senate vote. what are you going to do? >> move legislation through my committee, not just on arming
6:09 pm
the kurds, but also on the issue of a safe zone and we're also going to try to push this administration to use air power effectively and hit the isis targets. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> thank you very much for joining us. we want to get to eric shawn who will give us context on this impending bill in the senate. good morning, eric. >> good morning, everyone. so how do we respond to this human catastrophe? the choice seems to be balancing a humanitarian welcome with the fears of terrorism. >> if you lay terre wier it witd more bureaucracy, that doesn't actually make us safer because it doesn't do a better job of screening. but simply makes it almost impossible to have process individuals who are coming in, then you're effectively ending the refugee program for people who desperately need it. >> we have been here before. millions desperately fleeing
6:10 pm
turmoil for the safety of our american shores. during the holocaust, the ms st. louis was packed with 908 german jewish refugees and was tragically turned back. many died in auschwitz and other concentration camps. now the looming specter of terrorism is aimed at stopping the flow from syria. senator harry reid predicts senate democrats will block the new stricter measures, even as the president has promised to veto. what of the lucky few who made it? ahmad fled from syria and resettled in june in jersey sy, new jersey, by the group, church world service. >> the individuals putting their four or five children on boats through the sea and risking their lives, and death, this person can't be a terrorist. >> he now works at 12 hour overnight shift in a jersey bakery. he says he thankfully has a new start and a new life in our
6:11 pm
country. >> i made up my mind i'm here now and i'll get acclimated here, start my life from new here. >> despite new successes as you mentioned, polls show 67% of americans oppose the resettling of syrian refugees here. 1,682 have already arrived this year. the administration still plans to take that 10,000 next year. >> eric, thank you very much. taking the fight directly to isis and destroying the terrorist group once and for all. general jack keane is on deck next. follow us on twitter, let us know what you would like to hear from general jack keane coming up live next. stay with us. we're looking ahead this morning on "sunday morning futures."
6:12 pm
♪ i built my business with passion. but i keep it growing by making every dollar count. that's why i have the spark cash card from capital one. i earn unlimited 2% cash back on everything i buy for my studio. ♪ and that unlimited 2% cash back from spark means thousands of dollars each year going back into my business... that's huge for my bottom line. what's in your wallet?
6:13 pm
6:14 pm
tand that's what we're doings to chat xfinity.rself, we are challenging ourselves to improve every aspect of your experience. and this includes our commitment to being on time. every time. that's why if we're ever late for an appointment, we'll credit your account $20. it's our promise to you. we're doing everything we can to give you the best experience possible. because we should fit into your life. not the other way around.
6:15 pm
welcome back. my next guest testified before congress this week, arguing that air strikes can work, but not at the rate our military is conducting them. joining us now is general jack keane, retired four star general, chairman of the institute for the study of war and former vice chief of staff of the army and fox news military analyst. general, good to see you. thank you for joining us. >> good to be here. >> we heard from ed royce, chairman of the foreign affairs committee, who said the strategy must be reversed. and begun again to defeat isis. tell us what the strategy should look like, general. >> sure. real quickly, i testified before chairman royce's committee this week, an honor to do that, with the homeland security committee. quite frankly, what we have to do is the president, when he
6:16 pm
said defeat isis, give him a check for that. when he said, we're going to rely on local indigenous forces as the ground force supported by air power, give them another check. but then when we saw the execution, maria, the execution of that was nothing near what it should be. we have to unleash america's air power, remove the restrictions we have on what we call the rules of engagement. it looks like secretary carter is beginning to take steps in that direction. that's good news. secondly, once and for all provide all the trainers, advisers and air controllers that those local indigenous forces require, that would take us from 3,000 plus to about 10,000 plus. we're going to triple down on that capability. we have to mission the special forces so that they can conduct large scale in and out raids of critical nodes and infrastructu infrastructure. this is combat. at night, using the element of
6:17 pm
surprise to do it. we have to get all the equipment in that chairman royce was talking about this is uabs, apaches, humvees, et cetera, that the local forces need. all in on that equipment once and for all. safe zones in zeer syria, north south to put the refugees there, we can protect them on international forces, on the ground and in the air. and then identify some units for eventual combat deployment, part of the arab nation, nato, u.s., down the road, if this strategy fails, we have to go in the ground with those kind of combat units and we have to get a political settlement in syria if we're going to be able to defeat isis in syria. >> why is all of the above not being done right now, sir? >> i think chairman royce was correct, when he said that the president underestimated isis. i think he did this. and we can only speculate. i think he put a bet down that
6:18 pm
they would be able to contain isis, not destroy it, certainly not defeat it, and pass this problem to the next administration. the problem is isis is not being contained as we are all talking about for a week plus now. they now have a global strategy that is unfolding right before their eyes, and they're expanding, not being contained and they have to be defeated. so the president lost that bet. and now he's trying to scramble around to come up with something that is short of what is necessary, i suspect, it will be another incremental step. it will remain to be seen what he's going to do. >> it feels like the american people realize that, the president seems out of touch with how the american people are feeling right now. let me move on to russia because in a world where you don't have u.s. leadership in front, there is a vacuum and that vacuum is filled. right now it is being filled by russia and vladimir putin. explain to us the relationship between the u.s. and russia and
6:19 pm
how you see it. >> well, right now, we have a strained relationship with crimea, the ukraine, military intervention into syria. we have a cooperative relationship in terms of our pilots, they have a common frequency to use so they can stay out of each other's way. we should not enter into a cooperative agreement with russia to attack syria -- to attack isis and syria. here's why. he's in there, putin is in there propping up the alawite regime. this is assad. we won't defeat isis until that war comes to an end. all the sunnis fighting assad, we need them to fight isis. that war has to stop. that war is never going to stop as long as there are alawites in charge of that regime. those sunnis will continue to fight. we cannot enter into a cooperative relation to go after isis with russia because the
6:20 pm
payoff of that will be to sustain the alawite regime in syria. that's a trap we should not walk into. secondly, it is a moral absurdity, maria, because russia and iran propped up assad's killing machine. this problem we have in europe in terms of migration and have 10,000 coming to the united states is a result of this killing machine for four years, 250,000 dead, 11 million people displaced, seven inside the country, four outside the country. russia propped up all of that. we can't go down that road with russia. >> real quick, should we be letting in refugees since the vetting process is credible? really quickly, sir? >> i think we can do both. let the refugees in and put together a comprehensive vetting process that the congress is suggesting. we can do both. >> general, thank you for your insights. we appreciate your time. >> good talking to you, maria. >> we'll see you soon. general jack keane. he started at $20 million. now charles coke is operating a
6:21 pm
$100 billion company and has had a big impact on the gop money race. he'll explain why he's not yet supported a candidate. my interview with charles coke next. no matter how fast the markets change, at t. rowe price, our disciplined investment approach remains. we ask questions here. look for risks there. and search for opportunity everywhere. global markets may be uncertain. but you can feel confident in our investment experience... ... around the world. call a t. rowe price investment specialist, or your advisor... ...and see how we can help you find global opportunity. t. rowe price. invest with confidence.
6:22 pm
6:23 pm
6:24 pm
welcome back to the most recent gop debate. gop presidential candidates told me spending cuts and tax reform are among the biggest priorities to improve the economy. voters sharing similar feelings in this past pew research poll. 59% say they want congress to completely change the federal tax system. here now, billionaire industrialist charles coke reacting when he sat down with me last week in palm springs. >> that's one of the biggest problems in the country. we have debt. we're headed for a financial cliff. people want programs, but they're not sustainable at this level. so we -- it needs to be dealt
6:25 pm
with. this isn't one party, this is both parties contributing to this irresponsible spending and waste. >> and the big kahuna in all of this is the entitlements. social security, in particular. how do you think we actually move the needle on this? what kind of changes do you think make sense? >> well, i think it -- we need to consider that people are living longer. and will live longer. and then we need to allow innovation to occur, rather than all these regulations and other things that are stifling it because if we do that, if we allow innovation, medicine can be practiced much more efficiently. everything through economy can. but we need to get rid of these misguided policies that are stifling these opportunities to make these fabulous improvements
6:26 pm
in everybody's life. >> i got to ask you about you being enemy number one for the democratic party. money in -- your critics will say money and politics has really changed and made the system ugly. what do you say to people who are upset about money in politics? >> well, i think that's a straw man. i think what they're really upset about is that people are opposing their idea, which i call the fatal concede and william easterly called the tourney of the experts, is their idea is a few of those philosopher kings and queens know better how people should live their lives than people do. because people are either too oval or t evil or too spu tstupid to run own lives. so i oppose that.
6:27 pm
when they say we're trying to rig the system -- we're trying to unrig the system. i'm putting the money in to change the system, to get the money out of the system. like we -- we're hoping to raise $250 million for the elections, not just the presidential, but all the elections next year. you said, boy, that's a lot of money and it is a tremendous amount. but you look at the hundreds of billions, maybe trillions, that are going to support the current system. like the corporate welfare, including the way the tax code works, all the exemptions and privileges in that are estimated to be over 5 trillion. >> you recently made an acquisition. you have been investing in biotech. is this where you think the growth in the economy is in the next ten years? >> well, i -- once again, i believe in the division of labor by comparative -- everybody needs to understand what their
6:28 pm
capabilities are and do that, not what is the harder choice. but we're investing heavily in two new areas. one is biotechnology. that's biofuels, making chemicals with biological processes. that's better utilizing fertilizer and stimulating plant genes so they use less water and can withstand temperature changes better. the problem is to get approval to implement these things that help everybody is so difficult now. >> i think the regulatory environment has been one issue and the reason that businesses are not hiring more jobs. and creating more jobs rather. >> and it is why the median wage over the last eight years has actually declined. that's shocking because with all the technology, if it were allowed to be applied, productivity of labor would go up and -- but we have this two-tiered system that the cronyists are making more money
6:29 pm
than ever and the disadvantaged people who have nothing and no say are being held down. and the worst thing is being unemployed because as i said, you don't learn these skills that you learn from taking any job. and the studies show, if you get a job and keep it, you won't stay in poverty long. because if you apply yourself and you learn, you will advance. >> why haven't you endorsed a candidate yet? >> my view is the democrats are taking us down the road to surf dom at 100 miles an hour and the republicans are taking us there at 70 miles an hour. both complicit in where we are and where we're headed. i don't support democrats now because they're trying to destroy free speech in the market place of ideas, which is foundational to free society. so whatever else they stand for, anybody who is going to do that,
6:30 pm
i can't support it in any way. but what i'm really looking for is a presidential candidate who will try to reverse that direction, rather than, okay, maybe they go 70 miles, take us there at 60. we need somebody like a calvin coolidge or william gladstone who will change the trajectory of the country. and both of them created marvelous prosperity, improved the welfare system, helped the poor, made government more efficient. they had to do radical things like fire nonperformers, get ready of the waste and corruption. i mean, this is heavy lifting because you got a lot of interests that want to keep it that way. >> thanks so much for joining us. >> thank you, maria. charles koch's new book "good profit" on store shelves now. president obama says it would be shameful for the u.s. to vet refugees based on their
6:31 pm
religion. and new fox polling shows voters have a strong opinion on the matter as well. our panel as we look ahead on "sunday morning futures." excellent looking below the surface, researching a hunch... and making a decision you are type e*. time for a change of menu. research and invest from any website. with e*trade's browser trading. e*trade. opportunity is everywhere.
6:32 pm
we heard you got a job as a developer!!!!! its official, i work for ge!! what? wow... yeah! okay... guys, i'll be writing a new language for machines so planes, trains, even hospitals can work better. oh! sorry, i was trying to put it away... got it on the cake. so you're going to work on a train? not on a train...on "trains"! you're not gonna develop stuff anymore? no i am... do you know what ge is? put under a microscope, we can see all the bacteria that still exists. polident's unique micro clean formula works in just 3 minutes, killing 99.99% of odor causing bacteria. for a cleaner, fresher, brighter denture every day.
6:33 pm
6:34 pm
you're down with crestor. >>yes! when diet and exercise aren't enough, adding crestor lowers bad cholesterol up to 55%. crestor is not for people with liver disease, or women who are nursing, pregnant, or may become pregnant. tell your doctor all medicines you take. call your doctor if you have muscle pain or weakness, feel unusually tired, have loss of appetite, upper belly pain, dark urine, or yellowing of skin or eyes. these could be signs of serious side effects. i'm down with crestor! make your move. ask your doctor about crestor. welcome back. in the wake of the paris terrorist attacks, some gop candidates taking major heat for their stance on syrian refugees. some of them floating the idea
6:35 pm
that the u.s. should give preference to christians over muslims. president obama calls that idea shameful. and according to a new fox poll, a solid majority of voters agree with him. let's bring in our panel as you can see, this latest poll numbers, ed rollins with me, former principle white house adviser to president reagan, long time strategist, and a fox news political analyst. judith miller at the manhattan institute for policy research, a pulitzer prize winning author and journalist and fox news contributor. and mary kissell, editorial board member. good to see everybody. thank you for joining us. your thoughts, mary kissell. >> donald trump, he emotes, he doesn't articulate a strategy. we have eyes. we saw what happened in paris. we're afraid it is going to happen here. the polls reflect that. >> the polls reflect that, but also you have president obama having been traveling all over the world, ed rollins. when he first made the comment
6:36 pm
that he basically, you know, like, sort of pushed back at republicans, it was a political response to an issue that americans are really afraid of. >> president who will be above politics has been probably the most political president i've seen in my 50 years of politics. he misses where the country is on this issue. i think the end of the day we're all shocked and saddened by the paris situation. we also know it could happen here. and i think the concern about the syrian refugees and certainly i think have to have a hum humanitarian side to this, but 26 people all came here and planned 9/11 and 19 of them got into the country and knocked down two towers and tried to knock down the white house. >> did not come in as refugees, though. >> the issue is how do we safe guard the people coming in here. we have no system. the fbi and the cia and homeland security cannot at this point and time guarantee who these people are going to be. so you invite them to come in, bring 10,000 people in this
6:37 pm
country, knowing full well the syrians are -- terrorists are saying we want to get america next. >> we have a system, it has worked, we had 2,174 syrians come into this country since 9/11. not one of them has been arrested or deported because of terror related activities. however, i agree with you, ed, we have to be sure, now that isis is clearly targeting us and clearly trying to sneak people into the country, we have to be sure that our system is up to the test. and that's why -- >> i don't understand -- >> we could be welcoming of refugees and yet prudent and reasonable about how we vet them. i think that's what paul ryan tried to do with his house bill. i think it is unfair to characterize americans who are rightly worried about their security as somehow bigots. very briefly, on the christian issue, christians are being targeted for genocide right now. this isn't about preferencing christians over other religious groups. it is about doing what america
6:38 pm
has always done, give shelter to those who are targets. >> i don't think we can have a religious test, but what i don't understand why the president didn't just embrace the legislation to tighten the standards and make sure that everyone -- >> you know why? because he's trying to use the refugee issue as a political wedge issue against republicans. we wouldn't have this refugee crisis if the president had gone into syria and forced the red line, targeted assad's air fields. now we have hundreds of thousands of people. >> the danger, though, is trump and carson are basically saying outrageous things. no filter there. and we have to live with this. jack keane, both of your guests today, i think the chairman royce and jack keane articulate what the problem is and what we seek as solutions. and carson and trump with the front of the pack here have to be very careful with what they say. >> they both really went specific on the air strikes so far. the fact that we are missing targets because of this political correctness.
6:39 pm
>> we put our handcuffs on. we go out and say you can't have civilian casualties. the whole premise, back to my days in the reagan administration, we can't have civilian casualties, these people live in these camps and at the bottom line, you give them a warning, we're going to bomb the camps, get out of there. >> oil finances these operations out of raqqah. he has not been willing to do this. he must step up and do it now. >> why? i don't understand. >> the premise that the truck driver made the civilian drivers absurd. anybody driving is now part of the enemy force. >> this is not bosnia. you're not going to defeat isis with an air campaign. we need protection from the kurds. we need to give the sunnis reason to alli with us and why is the president not getting assad out of power? because assad is backed by iran. the president is giving political leverage to tehran, to moscow, he hasn't outlined a strategy to win.
6:40 pm
>> if you get rid of assad now, you will have damascus go the way of libya. you will have no government there and no one to do a deal. >> this is the reasoning of the democrats all along. we can't go in there because we're only going to make it worse. we have been hearing it for three to four years now. it gets worse and worse and worse and now terror is on our doorstep. >> -- as long as putin is backing him. >> that's right. it is not going to happen. >> let me check in with the media buzz. >> we're going to drill down on how the paris attacks have transformed the coverage of the 2016 campaign. journalists speaking out, more opinionated fashion, being much more aggressive toward president obama, the way we have rarely seen in this administration. in a different vain, the editor of the national enquirer on how his supermarket tabloid forced charlie sheen to go on the "today" show and acknowledge he's hiv positive and whether he told the truth to matt laure. >> we'll see you in 20 minutes.
6:41 pm
brand-new polls showing how the race is shaping up, how the candidates fare against hillary clinton in a general election. back in a moment. you owned your car for four years. you named it brad. you loved brad. and then you totaled him. you two had been through everything together. two boyfriends. three jobs. you're like "nothing can replace brad!" then liberty mutual calls. and you break into your happy dance. if you sign up for better car replacement, we'll pay for a car that's a model year newer with 15,000 fewer miles than your old one. see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance. i accept i'm not the rower i used to be.. i even accept i have a higher risk of stroke due to afib, a type of irregular heartbeat
6:42 pm
not caused by a heart valve problem. but i won't accept is getting out there with less than my best. so if i can go for something better than warfarin, i will. eliquis. eliquis reduced the risk of stroke better than warfarin, plus it had significantly less major bleeding than warfarin. eliquis had both. that really mattered to me. don't stop taking eliquis unless your doctor tells you to, as stopping increases your risk of having a stroke. eliquis can cause serious and in rare cases fatal bleeding. don't take eliquis if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. while taking eliquis, you may bruise more easily and it may take longer than usual for any bleeding to stop. seek immediate medical care for sudden signs of bleeding, like unusual bruising. eliquis may increase your bleeding risk if you take certain medicines. tell your doctor about all planned medical or dental procedures. i accept i don't have to set records. but i'm still going for my personal best. and for eliquis. reduced risk of stroke plus less major bleeding.
6:43 pm
ask your doctor if switching to eliquis is right for you. innovative sonicare technology with up to 27% more brush movements versus oral b. get healthier gums in 2 weeks guaranteed. innovation and you. philips sonicare save when you buy the most loved rechargeable toothbrush brand in america. usaa makes me feel like i'm a car buying expert in no time at all. there was no stress. it was in and out. if i buy a car through usaa, i know i'm getting a fair price. we realized, okay, this not only could be convenient, we could save a lot of money. i was like, wow, if i could save this much, then i could actually maybe upgrade a little bit. and it was just easy. usaa, they just really make sure that you're well taken care of. usaa car buying service. powered by truecar. online and on the usaa app. help individualize our cancer treatment? now through advanced genomic testing, we may be able to pinpoint and diagnose what makes
6:44 pm
your cancer different, which can reveal precise treatment options that were not considered previously. with this important breakthrough at the intersection of science and technology, we've arrived at precision cancer treatment. the evolution of cancer care is here at cancer treatment centers of america. call or visit cancercenter.com to learn more about precision cancer treatment. welcome back. brand-new polls out this morning showing donald trump at the top of the gop race once again. look at the polls. trump 28% support, followed by carson at 18%, cruz and rubio still doing well, 14% even. bush down there at 5%. christie also at 3%. these poll numbers say it all. this is after the isis conversation had become that much harsher. >> trump clearly shows strength
6:45 pm
and the country is looking desperately for spring and contrast with a weak president. my sense is the paris disaster helped him because he was the guy out there saying it wouldn't happen on my watch, whether that's true or not, regardless. and i think the guy really dropped off the charts is carson who deposidn't know where the ps were on the map and who our allies were. >> this is interesting. this is how the candidates would fare against hillary clinton in this most recent poll. this is just brand-new, we're showing that this morning for the first time. how the candidates fare against hillary clinton in a general election. mary? >> well, i think those polls reflect the post paris that americans want someone who is strong, who is going to defeat the terrorist threat and really wage the war on terror, not the half measures that president obama has taken. two things, maria, i think the next gop debate is going to separate the professionals from the amateurs. i think rand paul should drop out of the race right now. i think ted cruz deserves to be
6:46 pm
scrutinized for voting against terrorist surveillance message and dumbing down and really restricting the information that the nsa has. and then secondly, on the democratic side, hillary clinton, you've seen her already start to move to the right. she went from this is not america's fight in the last democratic debate to a speech at the council on foreign relations where she's calling for president obama's approach, plus a little more. expect her to move farther to the right. important for republicans to remind voters of what her record is of misjudging putin, missing the arab spring, benghazi, leading from behind in libya and all the other decisions that she's taken, but the republicans have to remind the voters now before she moves to the center. >> a lot of people thought her speeches with a third obama term, in step with what the president -- >> i disagree. when she talks about creating safe zones, those are republican ideas now.
6:47 pm
>> really what is hillary clinton saying? what is hillary clinton's natural position? i refer everyone to bob gates' book, where he says that she made her vote against the surge in iraq based on politics. politics is what hillary clinton is about. there is no principle there. that's why she would be such a danger. >> we talked about her moving to the right. she's not moving to the rite. she's moving a light to the sei center. >> all the way to the left. >> moving to the right of obama but not where her husband was and not where defense people want her to be. at the end of the day, i think she can read polls. every one of these people have beaten her including trump and carson. she has to do something to adjust to present herself as a leader, not the third term. >> she was in favor of arming syrian moderates, pragmatists,
6:48 pm
whatever you want to call them, three years ago and her president said no, i'm not going to do that against the advice of the military. >> she's running away from her vote on iraq. at the end of the day, she'll do wh whatever is political. >> the iran nuclear deal? no. she's not. is she calling for major troop presence on the ground to protect the kurds and sunnis in iraq? is she calling for a comprehensive strategy like the one general keane just outlined? no, she's not. this is an apocalyptic cult from north africa to the middle east to afghanistan and into parts of asia. this is the fight of our time. we need someone -- >> are you going to fight that alone without the russians and the iranians?
6:49 pm
>> i don't think the russians and iranias have our interests in mind. they're not our allies. >> we have one point of common interest, the need to defeat, diplomacy is about making coalition -- >> i don't want to give up all my objections to the russians and ukraine on everything they have done to have a soul mate in this battle against isis. if the u.s. wants to do this and do this alone, we can do it. other allies, france and other european allies join us with this, and i think the end of the day, we commit to what -- our people in the pentagon have been telling this person and over again what he needs to do. >> it is not in iran's interest to defeat isis in iraq. it gives iran an excuse to stay in iraq. the idea that putin is coming in and helping us in syria is a fiction and a fantasy. he's bombing our few allies that we have left in syria. >> he's trying to support assad. >> that's the negotiation you have with him. you say to him, you want to be part of this coalition, you
6:50 pm
stop -- >> trust has nothing to do with it. verification, this is where russian and american interests coincide. one of the few areas. and by the way, if they're involved in syria it very hard to also be fighting at be fighting at the same time in ukrai ukraine. >> is putin going to get out of ukraine. >> he's not, but he has limited -- >> he needs conflict in order to look like a tough guy. >> he does. >> he is a tough guy. >> good point. more from our panel as ♪ ♪ how else do you think he gets around so fast? take the reins this holiday and get the mercedes-benz you've always wanted during the winter event. hurry, offers end soon.
6:51 pm
amerivest selects the funds and manages your portfolio. is it run by robots? no no, you can talk to a person anytime. 'cause i don't trust robots. right...well, if the portfolio you're invested in doesn't perform well for two consecutive quarters, amerivest will reimburse your advisory fees for those quarters. i wasn't born yesterday. well, actually it looks like you were born yesterday. happy belated birthday. thanks. for all the confidence you need td ameritrade. you got this. well, it all started with my free credit score from credit sesame.com. they gave me so much more than a free credit score. credit sesame's money management tools and personalized offers saved me tons of money and helped me reach my goals. i just signed up with their free app. what's my credit score?
6:52 pm
your credit score is 650. that's magic! no, that's credit sesame.com you get so much more than a free credit score so do more with your score at credit sesame.com
6:53 pm
welcome back. french president hohollande is e u.s. on tuesday, and then meets
6:54 pm
with president putin. could this bring about better relations with russia? bringing back our panel today, do you expect anything to come out of this meeting with president obama and hollande on tuesday? >> i think they'll say the obvious things. this is hollande's 9/11 moment. he knows he has to appear strong. he will do a deal to work together, and then will go to moscow and do exactly the same thing. >> as a viewer, as someone on the outside looking in, i'm so tired of the deal. i just want to get and defeat isis. i feel that americans are afraid. >> they are and they should be, and at the end of the day obama is not going to do what his own cia and mill tar and security wants to do. the french can come over here for a nice meeting, but at the end of the day, we're not going to give him what he wands. the russians will basically get
6:55 pm
in bed with the french, at the enhance putin, and we'll sit on the sidelines again. unless people like jack keane will push things. at the same time the house passes a bill harry reid says, no way, i'm not going to take it up. >> they're going to block it. >> not even take it up. >> mary? >> this is the most attached clinical bloodless president i have ever seen. he was in asia this week talking about how he's not afraid, and really attacking republicans as if republicans were the enemy and not isis. i think it's noticeable that we didn't invoke article v after the terror attacks. i think that probably didn't happen because there was probably a phone call from the obama administration to the french saying don't ask us for this. there's no change in the strategy. i think this visit is formiality and francois hollande is liking
6:56 pm
like george w. bush, doing air strikes without asking permission, trying to gather -- feel that they want to go, to vladimir putin to ask for assistance. that temperatures you how topsy turfy and backyard u.s. -- >> and you say go back to the speech in cairo? >> back in 2009 president obama recalled his first major speech where he apologized to america, to the hard of the muslim world. he said -- no system of gov can or should be imposed by one nation. that told you everything you needed to know about this president and the view of the world. it was just like other nations, we weren't that shining nation on the hill, and you see the consequence of that of america's retreat from the worrell. we're going to take a short
6:57 pm
break. and we have more coming i know how it is. you're all set to book a flight using your airline credit card miles. and surprise! those seats sometimes cost a ridiculous number of miles, making it really hard to book the flight you want. luckily, there's a better way... with the capital one venture card. with venture, you'll earn unlimited double miles on every purchase, every day. and when you're ready to travel, just book the flight you want, on any airline, then use your miles to cover the cost. now you're getting somewhere. what's in your wallet?
6:58 pm
6:59 pm
7:00 pm
a big thank you to our panel. see you tomorrow morning. that will do is it for us today on their target, abdelhamid abaaoud. the belgian man accused of masterminding the attack. although they confirmed that he

20 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on