Skip to main content

tv   Cavuto Coast to Coast  FOX Business  June 30, 2016 12:00pm-2:01pm EDT

12:00 pm
stuart: breaking news, paul ryan telling fellow lawmakers the house will act on a measure to prevent people on terror watch lists from buying guns. look at the gun stocks, the news is just getting out. my time is up but connell mcshane, it is yours. connell: among the new information at this hour in addition to that alert. new terrorism fears are rising. and what is expected to be a record weekend for travel. we also have a chilling warning from the cia. we will talk about that, guns and the stock market. i am connell mcshane filling in for neil cavuto and 13 terror suspects have been detained in istanbul, turkey. the planner of the deadly attacks has been identified. that is out there today. we have the cia director john brennan warning isis, likely
12:01 pm
planning similar attacks here in the united states. that comes just ahead of the fourth of july weekend. certainly has all the airports beefing up security. officials across the country are on high alert because this particular holiday weekend we are expecting record travel in the united states. coming up a number of important guests, secretary of defense will join us later on the program to react to all this news but let me start with peter brooks. he talked about this alert that is just coming, the house of representatives and speaker of the house paul ryan, action will be taken on guns. people on terror watch list and whether they should be able to buy guns. your view on this? >> tremendous concern, we don't want guns in the hands of terrorists considering what we saw in istanbul and orlando. it would be premature to make
12:02 pm
any judgment on that. i'm not a second amendment scholar. i am a national security scholar but we will see if this looks like, i am sure people are anxious to do things that will increase security while maintaining civil liberties. connell: a poll number indicates what we are talking about the came out of fox news. the question was posed how americans feel about our nation's ability to prevent terror attacks and right now 84% of the people are nervous and for comparison, the left side of the screen, july 2005 we asked the same question and it was only 50% so it has gone up a lot. people are quite nervous. don't know if we are resigned to think the government can't do much, what do you make of that number? >> let me show you a few other numbers. since january 2015 we had 22
12:03 pm
terrorist plots in the united states. orlando, san bernardino, chattanooga. 22 plots are attacks, 22 were homegrown. 18 of those related to isis. last year, 2015 was the most terror plot intense year since 9/11 in 2001. people are sensing this. connell: are they resigning to the fact that we can't do anything about it? is that why the numbers so high, there is not much you can do to prevent san bernardino if someone has the will to go in and attack a soft target, not much we can do to stop them? >> very concerned, polls are a snapshot, not the movie. the holiday weekend coming up, more people, what we saw in orlando, in istanbul,
12:04 pm
international destinations, people are sensing it, we had some success, the terrible attacks in san bernardino and orlando other plots were stopped. we are living in unprecedented times. it is very dangerous and complacency is something we need to avoid and vigilance is something we need to embrace. connell: from a national security perspective to where we started taking certain types of guns at the hands of people on terrorism watch lists, is that part of the answer to make us more secure? >> i don't know. i will leave that up to the second amendment scholars. we do not want guns in the hands of terrorists, but we have to look at civil liberties and scholars who look at that, other than i agree it shouldn't be in the hands of terrorists. stuart: always good to talk to you. there are political questions, we will try to get some answers
12:05 pm
to them. speaking of poll numbers, fox news polling that has just come out americans are in support largely of profiling. also americans asked about the muslim ban, they are supportive of it. carrying weapons largely will make a safer. it is good to see you, governor gilmore. one reason i bring this up is with all those polls, we have other ones, numbers showing hillary clinton maintains a lead, 5 or 6 points over donald trump. those figures should be pretty good numbers for donald trump running against hillary clinton on terrorism, his muslim ban. people support those things. why isn't he doing better? >> i think he is doing all right, making progress, projecting strength, a very
12:06 pm
serious problem. by radical islamists and pointing out the challenge, the other aspect of the poll is 2:1 the american people believe hillary clinton is a dishonest and corrupt, she is almost a plateau and doesn't look like she can do more. connell: trump going through what they called a, quote, rough patch. this has been a rough patch for secretary clinton with the news about a number of scandals surrounding her, her past, a number of issues over the last few weeks, this should be a rough patch, you could argue trump should be doing better than this. >> i think trump has room to grow. it is reasonable the things he is saying, he has room to move
12:07 pm
forward but to me i think the approach we have to take in this country is we have to go to the muslim community and the united states but presidential leadership requires us to go into community and demand people adhere to american values. american values are you are not in favor of these kinds of attacks, this is not a good thing for people in the muslim community to be thinking about doing, the attacks we are seeing, blowing up -- these are not in accordance with american values and i am confident muslim leadership in the united states of america will respond if we ask them to. connell: breaking news we had at the top of the hour, the speaker, paul ryan, said there will be action next week from the house of representatives on a measure to prevent people and terrorism watch lists from buying guns. what is your view on that particular issue? >> i think there is a consensus
12:08 pm
we would like to keep firearms out of the hands of terrorists. i don't think anybody disagrees with that. responsibly, we have to understand how people get on a terrorist watchlist. you can't just book we've and delegate the bill of rights out to some arbitrary -- connell: fix that the way we put together these lists. >> you have to take away people's rights under the bill of rights because they are on terrorist watchlist. we have to understand is americans how we get on that list and make sure they are dangerous. in that case, we will be moving in the right direction. it will require an additional element of oversight. stuart: that will be next week in washington. thank you for coming on. moving on to the markets. triple digit name for the dow
12:09 pm
jones industrial average which is now positive for the month as we wrap up this crazy month of june. including this imf warning, warning policymakers to be ready to act because an exit from the british could be more turbulence. and whether we should be expected, even more summer shockwaves, we are positive for the month. >> true. and and everything the dow jones since they voted to leave the european union. and and say that for a couple reasons, and factoring into the economy, and we have to see the
12:10 pm
fallout. and this is something mark carney said moments ago, central banks there and around the world are going to step in to help out. so you always have that cushion. connell: you wonder where they get the ability to help out but on this question about what the summer will look like, it is difficult to look at europe and many managers, the market gyrate all over the place and assess the risk. how do we know what the effect will be to lauren's point, long-term? we don't. >> we absolutely don't in areas that are greater areas of concern, and deutsche bank and the reaction in that stock and angela merkel came out and said she would not give italians any leeway in terms of trying to rescue and bail out their own banking system, we have a lot
12:11 pm
more volatility ahead of us, and reflected in 10 year bond in the united states which is certainly not reactive in the same way the stock market has. it is reflecting a lot of uncertainty still. connell: you advise people to be careful around stocks. would that be the idea? >> they should act very gingerly. the stock market is acting like it has schizophrenia in a big way. you see these huge swings, shouldn't give investors any comfort because if you look at the last year to some of the figures just coming up, we are basically flatlined. a lot of gyration. a lot of risk. connell: we may have more, quote, shockwaves, the other message in this and it is not necessarily the an end of the world what great britain did. >> great britain a strong enough as a nation to stand alone. what about italy, spain, and in
12:12 pm
the european union's, we have a more serious problem on our hands. connell: thanks as always, another issue that could be a risk for markets, when you listen to the presidential candidates, certainly donald trump and hillary clinton your hearing a lot of protectionist talk. trump is catching more heat over his trade plan and from what we hear we talk about it again today, another big speech this afternoon so we have set up trump's tirade. we have that coming up next. be right back.
12:13 pm
.. get ready for the rio olympic games
12:14 pm
by switching to xfinity x1. show me gymnastics.
12:15 pm
x1 lets you search by sport, watch nbc's highlights and catch every live event on your tv with nbc sports live extra. i'm getting ready. are you? x1 will change the way you experience nbcuniversal's coverage of the rio olympic games. call or go online today to switch to x1.
12:16 pm
connell: before we talk trade, lions gate agreed to by stars, a deal worth $4.4 billion and the stocks are both up today especially 9.5%. donald trump about to double down or triple down delivering another trade tirade in new hampshire after president obama and the chamber of commerce hit back hard at trump in trade talk, protectionist talk. we have lined up economic policy director tom buckles and charles payne to talk about trade. from hosting these shows, good job out of todd buck holds who said loudly in the studio, is connell going to mention -- [laughter] connell: the price of prosperity which i have started reading. charles: suggested that i read
12:17 pm
it. you have another cell. >> my mom has your home number. connell: trump, a republican president, people say hold on a second, this is a gop president who sounds like a protectionist and you say? presidential candidate. >> the fact is for years those of us who wore adam smith neckties and preached free trade and i continue to do that didn't spend enough time pointing out that there are victims of free-trade and the free market is not a pain free market and yes, it raises the standard of living overall but we shouldn't be ignoring the fact that there are company towns that shut down and there are hardships and this is where trump needs to make a closer link. if we don't have an education system that allows young people to have greater opportunities because liberals have frozen
12:18 pm
children into terrible schools, what opportunities will they have? connell: you talked about that, education, should trump change or pivot his message to what todd is getting to or keep going? charles: honestly a presidential candidate should have a 10 year plan based on revamping our education system. you can't get elected saying that. will there be a new factory in my backyard? from a political point of view it falls on deaf ears but the next 100 years, we are going to lose the big big big time. people who believe in free trade also understand the notion the created destruction as well. today we had the chicago p.m. i number, manufacturing in the midwest surged, came at the highest level in years, way above it, wall street is looking for, the only component that was introduction is employment, a
12:19 pm
whole lot of other things besides trade or unfair trade? do we need better smarter deals? absolutely. is it the panacea, taking a $4000 factory job in china bringing it to wichita, kansas -- >> a couple things mister trump should do, he should point out instances where our trade law hurts all americans. we have these ridiculous rules the fda have so that drugs that save people's lives in europe cannot be imported and used here until the fda goes to multiyear protocol. the tearing down barriers of imports, he can attack china on intellectual -- connell: it is a much simpler argument, the type of argument
12:20 pm
in the uk. charles: the type of graph -- anyone who does business in china knows you start panning out cash, the regional person, the governor, the mayor, city council. the rodney dangerfield movie, explain economics, this is how it really works. land in china, better have a suitcase full of cash. we want greater access to those markets as well. i understand people are frustrated. we can have better trade deals and need to force overseas markets to be more open to our products. connell: nobody in this election, talking about trump, catches people off guard and hillary clinton, even though she is tied to nafta is not making a free-trade argument either. we could end up with a protectionist president no matter who is elected. >> one reason president obama made things worse, in many ways
12:21 pm
he made things worse for the economy but he has pursued deals, trade deals and non-trade deals for his own personal ego and legacy. perfect example is the iran deal. why did he allow iran to get nuclear weapons, so he can look like a peacemaker. the american people look at that deal and say have our politicians been doing deals for our betterment? doing deals for their own personal ego? connell: to end this, i said a moment ago the trump argument against trade, fairly simple argument, it appeals to a lot of people and it in the uk as well. is there another argument? could you stand up and say a product like this, high quality, inexpensive products in your home if you are in favor of free-trade? charles: the answer, fairer,
12:22 pm
smarter trade. connell: which he does say. charles: that is reasonable, it resonates, the self-inflicted wounds of regulations, fees and punishment for success in this country has done more damage. >> i would see him pick strategic fight with china, pick certain sectors where there is intellectual thievery and ripping off as opposed to build a wall across the border between us and asia. connell: five copies, get you started. or thereabouts. look at that. 165 points higher on the tao. what a ride it has been the last four or five days and the uk, boris johnson, paul ryan saying he doesn't want to be the leader of the conservatives. cavuto coast-to-coast will be right back. many people clean their dentures
12:23 pm
with toothpaste or plain water. and even though their dentures look clean, in reality they're not. if a denture were to be put under a microscope, we can see all the bacteria that still exists on the denture, and that bacteria multiplies very rapidly. that's why dentists recommend cleaning with polident everyday. polident's unique micro clean formula works in just 3 minutes, killing 99.99% of odor causing bacteria. for a cleaner, fresher, brighter denture every day.
12:24 pm
12:25 pm
12:26 pm
connell: markets shrugging off the action in great britain, now hire by 177 points. coming into today we were down 800 points and the british vote, we have gotten back to hundred and by the end of the day could be breakeven given everything that happened in the uk. what we are looking at, that is part of the story as well. with the british leaving the european union, a storyline building that vladimir putin could end up the big winner. let's bring ashley webster into the situation from london and explain that. ashley: part of that is the unknown, the ability of the uk
12:27 pm
to get out of the eu without the appearance that something will happen. the political turmoil here, all of this playing in vladimir putin, something going on in the eu, a little bit of discourse and that for him is positive. no role in the vote for the uk to get out of the eu. there is a relief. he says he hopes the uk maintain standards of democracy, not something he would know anything about. interesting comments from him, he is so good at it. connell: watching all of this, i was becoming convinced the next british prime minister was going to be this guy johnson, former mayor of london. he led this campaign, colorful guy, i was surprised by what we saw this morning. what is up with boris johnson? connell: you and everyone else.
12:28 pm
ashley: we were all there to listen to his campaign to be the next leader of the conservative party and astounded everybody by saying i am not going to do it which is quite remarkable but earlier in the day one of his presumed supporters, suddenly announced i don't think boris is ready for the job and i will run myself. whether you could argue he stabbed david cameron in the back when he started to leave the exit campaign for the vote so it isa house of cards drama playing out and with every passing day or hour there is a new chapter, fascinating. connell: we adopted it over here so only appropriate. thank you, ashley. back to the big board, session highs climbing through this hour. it is 182 points to the upside, 1% positive for the month,
12:29 pm
remarkable market with volatility over the last 5 days. meantime say so long to the real donald trump. next, trump like you have never seen him before. life insurance automobile insurance i spent 20 years active duty they still refer to me as "gunnery sergeant" when i call being a usaa member because of my service in the military to pass that on to my kids something that makes me happy my name is roger zapata and i'm a usaa member for life. usaa. we know what it means to serve. get an insurance quote and see why 92% of our members plan to stay for life.
12:30 pm
12:31 pm
12:32 pm
>> the united states as we well know is leading the coalition to try to destroy as much of this poison inside of syrian iraq as possible.
12:33 pm
so it would be surprising to me that isil is not trying to hit us both in the region as well as in our homeland. . connell: well, that's kind of where we started this hour talking about how there are new fears that the government is not able to or prepared to stop a terrorist attack at this point. great guests still to come, you know, on this. former secretary of defense, former clinton secretary of defense william cohen will be here next hour, all these james. both coming up on that topic in the next hour. meanwhile a topic for this hour. a more refined donald trump, haha. we're going to talk to charlie gasparino on that in a second. but first watch this. >> this election is for trump to lose. he's got economy on his side, national security on his side, and the key is do those discipline speeches, engage in the debate, and she's going to be in trouble. connell: all right, charlie, so steve forbes says this is trump's election to lose. you heard him use the word
12:34 pm
disciplined. are we going to see that? >> i think we'll see more of that. i mean i think you'll see some speeches where he kind of, like, wings it and, you know, says what he's -- what he said last night. he took a shot at jeb bush. connell: well, it goes two ways. either scripted or rally mode. >> his rally modes now are even more refined.or now. listen, i think a couple of things have happened over the last month. he had a horrendous month. stepped in 40 times between the judge's mexican heritage to his response on the terrorist attack here. and in orlando and, you know, i think enough people called him from what i understand. both fundraisers. and then on top of that, he didn't raise a lot of money. people were, like, running away. connell: yeah, those numbers came out he had a million dollars. >> and he was able to raise a few more since. connell: he's listening to these calls? >> yeah. and they want him to be more refined, and i think that's where he's going. it will be -- it will still be signature trump. i don't think he wants to give that up.
12:35 pm
i don't think he can. but i think he's going to be reading from the teleprompter more, paul manford in there is going to be different. he has to be heartened by these polls, i know the fox poll shows him six points down. that's not a lot if you consider how bad of a month he had. i tend to agree with steve forbes. the economy is on his side. it grew 1%, revised barely from .8%. hillary is a candidate that has ethical problems. he can strike a cord with working-class people that haven't voted for rapport just haven't voted. he has the potential to do this right if he could bring everybody together -- connell: and that's the issue; right? i think the hillary people make the exact opposite argument saying it's her election to lose because she comes in the electoral college advantage and the polling of donald trump who doesn't have
12:36 pm
his party united. >> i never agree that demographic advantage. let's get right down to it. working class white people did not vote in past elections, even for republicans. they thought -- the romney people had every statistic going that said they were going to win ohio in key battleground states in 2012 because that vote would come out for them. they actually did not come out or some of them voted democratic still. trump is able to get some of that. my problem with trump, and it's always been my problem with him is that he is so divisive sometimes. it's not in his heart. he does this as a stick. but still he's running for president. he's so divisive, he says such outrageous things that you literally have to hold your nose to be around him and vote for him. and, you know, if he cannot do that, he like win. it's a big if. connell: i want to go to the markets, make sure your earpiece is in because you have to hear jonas. stocks are rolling back today,
12:37 pm
three days in a row we've had a nice rally after -- >> brexit. connell: at the end of the day we could be break even. >> we're up for the month. connell: we're up for the month of june, yes. so, jonas, we were talking about politics, charlie and i. if you're donald trump, are you out there just rooting for disaster in the markets? that's what the old school kind of logic would be is that bad markets, bad economy, newcomer takes over. is that what you think the trump people should be rooting for? >> in general, a crumbling economy, weak economy, especially if you think you can tie it to policy of the incumbents is good for trump or anybody. it helped obama when it went down in '08. but the problem is now it's about this uk vote. and the uk vote is very similar to trump stuff. it has a national aside to it. i know there are other regulatory issues but that's the point -- that's why you treat it. now, if it goes really bad, right now it's improving not so much for their currency but
12:38 pm
for the markets. if recalling get really bad for specifically the uk and continues to slide, it goes to parody the dollar, the unemployment rate, all of this before the election, this is going to look like really bad policy and a really bad idea, and it's going to look bad for trump. on the flip side, things are good -- connell: i agree with jonas. i brought this up to a guest lack week -- >> no. no. my point is this. first of all, we should point out that the markets when we had this discussion we should delineate between the markets and the economy. the markets are running a lot of it on fed and stuff like that. so it's our economy. we can have lousy growth. connell: no. jonas' point. he can make it again in a second. but the market was a disaster like it was friday, and we had a huge selloff -- >> that shouldn't happen. connell: no. but it did. his point as the would look bad for trump; right? >> no. no. my point -- here's my point. we should delineate between the markets and the economy. the economy can do lousy the next six months and we can be
12:39 pm
at dow 18,000, why is that? the fed could keep printing money and unemployment will still be fairly -- unemployment will still be high, wages won't grow, i can give you he have reason why the economy will be down and the markets will not be up. i can say this about brexit. there has never been a time -- and let's not argue the merits or i'll argue with jonas if he wants. but there's never been a time where u.s. voters sat down and said wow look at what's going on in the uk. i think i'm going to vote a certain person. that just does not happen. connell: jonas, jump in on that. let me show you one poll. i don't know if this speaks to it or not. but this is from usa today i believe. but this is a poll out where the majority, the overwhelmin overwhelmingly majority of americans believe that it was a sign of anger and dissatisfaction that can be seen in other countries including ours, so that's the way you can see it. what were you going to say, jonas? >> because no one has voted
12:40 pm
for a recession before. it could also turn positive if other countries leave and their countries do better and then it looks like it's smart to get out of this burden in the eu. then it could play well in trump. when you're talking -- you say the markets suffer from the economy. if the currency of a country collapses, and it could collapse a lot, you're -- that's not the stock market. that is for people like i can't travel abroad, i'm broke now and my prices just went up 20%. >> that would not affect the u.s. election. it has never happened before. >> of course because we've never had a major economy going into collapse on a political policy. >> i know we're in the era of trump so anything is possible. but u.s. voters generally care about the u.s. economy. not the british economy. and they are not going to extrapolate okay. trump is kind of like boris johnson and those dummies that wanted brexit. so therefore i'm going to vote for hillary clinton even though she's connected to the lousy economy. that is too much.
12:41 pm
>> because it stops -- it depends how bad it gets, first of all. >> too much of a -- it has got to be here. . connell: final point here -- >> my point is it's got to be -- u.s. voters will be voting about what's going on here. and, by the way, it's easy for donald trump to pivot and say, well, it's not my fault that they didn't go out there and cut taxes. connell: right. that's true too. >> look, it's like how when venezuela collapses, it's very obvious that that's a bad system, that kind of socialist government plan; right? it becomes very obvious to the world. maybe not every voter but enough for the margins to push. the bottom line as trump leads with a trade policy that that's our problem. we've got to work on that. we have to stop immigration. and that maybe. but if it goes really bad for the uk because they're not -- the trade benefited them, then people will say maybe getting out of trade deals isn't such a great idea. >> jonas, the brexit people are not antifree trade. they did not argue that. connell: the perception. >> they did not argue that.
12:42 pm
>> i'm telling you archie bunker just joined -- remember the people burning the cars in france or the world trade? that liberal group now has a combo vote with archie vote. it's a powerful thing. connell: i've got to go, unfortunately. i've got to wrap it at this point. good from both of you, though. thank you, charlie and jonas. and we've got to go because we're going to talk about that other big issue we have been talking about this hour, which is terrorism fears going up. and a number of different ways that you measured. just come up with a social media solution, that's our next topic. we'll take it up after a quick k
12:43 pm
if you're taking multiple medications,
12:44 pm
does your mouth often feel dry? a dry mouth can be a side effect of many medications. but it can also lead to tooth decay and bad breath. that's why there's biotene, available as an oral rinse, toothpaste, spray or gel. biotene can provide soothing relief and it helps keep your mouth healthy too. remember, while your medication is doing you good, a dry mouth isn't. biotene, for people who suffer from a dry mouth.
12:45 pm
. >> i'm nicole petallides with your fox business brief. stocks hovering around the session highs right now. dow jones industrial average up 117 points up the third day in a row after two days of extreme selling after the british exit vote, take over bid for herb ease. herbies right now halted at 23 billion-dollar possible deal. oreo cookies, and hershey of course the chocolate maker. so we'll continue to watch that story and we watched the dow turn positive this week after yesterday's big gains. positive for the year as we wrap up the first half of the year, up 2.5% this year. and we're watching lions gate, that is a $4.4 billion deal past and stocks lions gate and stars are both gaining tying up two media companies, tying
12:46 pm
to don and under pressure after weaker too if you have medicare parts a and b and want more coverage, guess what? you could apply for a medicare supplement insurance plan whenever you want. no enrollment window. no waiting to apply. that means now may be a great time to shop for an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. medicare doesn't cover everything. and like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, these help cover some of what medicare doesn't pay. so don't wait. call now to request your free decision guide. it could help you find the aarp medicare supplement plan
12:47 pm
that works for you. these types of plans have no networks, so you get to choose any doctor who accepts medicare patients. rates are competitive, and they're the only plans of their kind endorsed by aarp. remember - these plans let you apply all year round. so call today. because now's the perfect time to learn more. go long. . connell: we have a fox business alert on eric submit, the now executive chairman of google. this is the kind of thing that reassures people on the british vote. schmidt just said that it is unlikely to lead to a shift in google's activities. they have long operations in europe, certainly ireland, they have a large cooperation
12:48 pm
there, google is parent company of alphabet. that's the thing you want to hear of british vote. it will haven't big effect. the government in the meantime is coming up with a new plan to fight terrorism and that plan would be that visitors coming in here to the united states would be asked for their social media accounts and information on those accounts when they enter the country. paul joins us on this. this is going in the right direction, paul? >> yeah. there's no question about that, connell. it's long overdue. i think from the macro perspective it makes a lot of sense, isis is using social media to recruit jihaddists, to train and to plan attacks, so this makes perfect sense i i. connell: i don't know if the privacy people would be all over it or not, but gather information, hey, what's your facebook account or twitter account, you have that of course; right? that you can use and research? >> there's no question about that. so you know there's going to be push back from people that
12:49 pm
feel that they have this right to privacy, which is still debatable from a constitutional perspective. but at the end of the day, connell, what it really comes down to is whether we're willing to make a decision to recognize that in the stage of a holy war with a group that's utilize living a certain medium to hurt us and to plan against us. and we're going to have to sacrifice a little bit in order toothed information off. so law enforcement can have this information. connell: yeah, and get the information, though, paul, the problem with me is keeping up with these people; right? >> right. connell: and i guess this is true on facebook. but say they lose twitter. they use that a lot, isis and other terrorist groups to communicate. and what they'll do is as soon as you get onto them or catch onto them, they open up another account. a fake account. it's tough to keep up with that no matter how much information you get at the border or somewhere. >> and, connell, that's the most poignant point at all. the manpower we have, there are only so many agents to track the amount of people that we have to look at. so that's why the more information we have up front,
12:50 pm
the more specific it is, the less bodies you'll need in order to do an effective job to protect the american peopl p. connell: facebook and twitter, along with a lot of other stocks are up today. thanks, paul, good to see you. >> thanks, connell. connell: now, with britain bolting, up next why some u.s. companies could be about to bolt to great britain. from here to there. that's next
12:51 pm
♪ approaching medicare eligibility? you may think you can put off checking out your medicare options until you're sixty-five, but now is a good time to get the ball rolling. keep in mind, medicare only covers about eighty percent of part b medical costs. the rest is up to you. that's where aarp medicare supplement insurance plans insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company come in.
12:52 pm
like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, they could help pay some of what medicare doesn't, saving you in out-of-pocket medical costs. you've learned that taking informed steps along the way really makes a difference later. that's what it means to go long™. call now and request this free decision guide. it's full of information on medicare and the range of aarp medicare supplement plans to choose from based on your needs and budget. all plans like these let you choose any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients, and there are no network restrictions. unitedhealthcare insurance company has over thirty years experience and the commitment to roll along with you, keeping you on course. so call now and discover how an aarp medicare supplement plan could go long™ for you. these are the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp, an organization serving the needs of people
12:53 pm
50 and over for generations. plus, nine out of ten plan members surveyed say they would recommend their plan to a friend. remember, medicare doesn't cover everything. the rest is up to you. call now, request your free decision guide and start gathering the information you need to help you keep rolling with confidence. go long™. ♪ . connell: market rally, calm down, simonette. down 188 points, she's crazy, this one. she's been doing all the math here, lauren simonetti, and she's trying to tell me how we're going to get rid of friday's losses, and we're going to be positive and forget about the british is basically the idea. >> i wore green to celebrate the occasion, by the way. this is like the turkey in bowling. three in a row; right? connell: up 186 points. if we needed to gain back 316
12:54 pm
points today just to be completely break even. so who knows. we've got a few hours. we may just do it. now, speaking of britain. >> yes. connell: with uk getting out of the european union, there's a lot of talk about of what may happen next. one of the stories that has come out now is that companies -- this is counterintuitive maybe -- are thinking about bolting here and heading there to the u depending on how things work out maybe? >> well, they're looking at the tax code. see, nobody knows what european union is going to look like without great britain. because if great britain can lower their corporate tax rate. now it's about 20%. connell: become more irish. >> but a lot of major tech companies might find it interesting. right now we're at 39% at our corporate tax rate. so that is an option figuring out what the tax structure will be. we had a lot of good companies, you just brought up google. but we have many banks, for instance, saying we're committed to london as our headquarters to europe.
12:55 pm
those banks include morgan stanley, jp morgan -- connell: two days ago, this why you need to take a deep breath after stories like this. because it was on monday people -- or especially friday afternoon. where are these banks going to go? they're all going to set up in frankfurt. nobody is going to do business in london, let's get out of here, ask the ceo and now here we are next week and now we're saying, well, london might be the most attractive place to do business after all. it just shows you. >> it's a fluid situation. connell: they might be, by the way, better off. i mean that argument was made by a few people at the beginning and now i notice more and more people are making -- i feel like more and more people. do you feel that way? >> there could be perks for staying in the uk. there really could be. and tax rate definitely number one. although i am concerned about how germany is going to interfere here because you have the deutsche lsb merger. a german regulator has come out and eventually said you're not doing this if the headquarters are in london. connell: even with the negotiations; right? with angela merkel's comments when
12:56 pm
she was over in the european parliament is, like, lindh you're not going to -- and this is a little bit. but you're not going to be part of this whole european union situation if you're not paying your do you see, you know? >> right. u going to get a deal that is not going to be too sweet because then everybody else is going to want the same deal and then, you know, we're stuck alone. connell: well, that's why they want to be careful it of. all the other european countries. they don't want to give anybody a sweetheart deal to great britain but they need great britain to trade with and we'll watch that corporate tax rate because that's the one thing that has worked for ireland keeping it so low. >> 12.5%. connell: thank you, lauren. >> sure. connell: the terrorism issues that we've been talking about throughout the program as we head into this fourth of july weekend, that is on the minds of a lot of people. we're expecting record travel this weekend. william cohen, former sec secretary of defense is ahead. former cia director on these growing fears. we'll be right back i have asthma...
12:57 pm
...one of many pieces in my life. so when my asthma symptoms kept coming back on my long-term control medicine. i talked to my doctor and found a missing piece
12:58 pm
in my asthma treatment with breo. once-daily breo prevents asthma symptoms. breo is for adults with asthma not well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. breo won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. breo opens up airways to help improve breathing for a full 24 hours. breo contains a type of medicine that increases the risk of death from asthma problems and may increase the risk of hospitalization in children and adolescents. breo is not for people whose asthma is well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. once your asthma is well controlled, your doctor will decide if you can stop breo and prescribe a different asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. do not take breo more than prescribed. see your doctor if your asthma does not improve or gets worse. ask your doctor if 24-hour breo could be a missing piece for you. see if you're eligible for 12 months free at mybreo.com.
12:59 pm
. connell: well, we will have millions of americans heading to the airport this weekend
1:00 pm
and as that is happening, the head of the cia all but saying that isis is planning an attack on our airports. comments from mr. brennon. now, this is "cavuto: coast to coast" good to be with you today, i'm connell mcshane sitting in for neil. and as we get to the fourth of july weekend, we may see this weekend's record travel. that's what the authorities and experts are looking for. and with that, you have terrorism fears certainly raddling some potential fliers. it follows -- well, it's a chilling warning from the director of the cia. he said he would be surprised if isis was not it trying to carry out attacks on our airports, given what has happened overseas. we're exclusively joined right now by the clinton fed secretary william cohen on this threat at this time. what do you say, sir, to people who are understandably concerned? especially going into this weekend about travel? >> i would say that there's no place to hide.
1:01 pm
the fact that the focus is now on airports doesn't mean that you can go to any other place and feel reasonably safe. the next attack might come at a mall. it might come at a popular restaurant or discotheque or any other place where people gather. and we can take measures to extend the perimeter of security from behind the pilot's door to the waiting area out to the street where you check your bags, out into the parking lots. and you can keep extending the perimeter and yet the terrorists will find a soft target where people gather to create just as much chaos. so i think we have to be concerned about it. we have to double up and make sure we intensify our intelligence and look at those who are traveling who might be suspicious because their past travels. but frankly, there's really no safe place that one can be today and rest assured that nothing will happen. connell: well, how much
1:02 pm
different is now, today, than it was, say, when you were the secretary of defense in the late '90s and certainly in the period immediately following 9/11? everybody was concerned and understandably so about the threat that we face. but are we facing a significantly different threat? and one of the reasons i ask it that way statistical showed a poll last hour when we were having this conversation that the american public is now not as confident in the government -- government's ability to stop terror attacks as they were, say, ten years ago. they're much less confident. and i was thinking maybe that's because the -- they've become resigned to the fact that in their minds, the public's minds, there's not much we can do to stop someone who has the will to go in and shoot up an airport or has the will to go in a place like san bernardino and shoot up this soft target. is it a lot different of a threat? >> the threat is different. a lot has changed since 9/11. you now have a situation in which we live in a free and open society and in a free and open society, you allow people
1:03 pm
to move and to speak and to acquire things like guns. and the country is a wash with high-powered weapons, and you have people who have access to them without much restriction and therefore those who are inspired to commit heinous crimes are given the capability of doing so. so i think life has changed what change in the world people's hopes, aspirations, desperations have changed since 9/11. so it's a combination of a discontent with life as it is today. a combination of seeing jobs disappear. connell: right. >> and a combination of integration. . connell: i want to ask you -- i'm sorry to interrupt. i want to ask you about the current administration's approach to all of this. which i will in a second. but you mention guns and about an hour ago, the speaker of the house paul ryan said that next week they will deal with in congress the idea of somebody on a terror watch list being able to purchase a web. what do you think of that
1:04 pm
debate? >> i think absolutely necessary. why would you be on a watch list not be able to get on a plane and you have to go into a gun store or walmart or whenever and acquire a semiautomatic weapon? that seems to be irrational. that's not an absolute right you have under these circumstances where you're a suspect but you can get g and get armed and next thing you know go into a bar and kill a lot of people. so i think it makes sense, and i commend congressman speaker ryan. connell: yeah, they're going to take that up next week. the issue has been is who should be on this list, which i'm sure they'll debate in congress as well. now, in terms of the approach from the current administration, this comment, i'm going to play for you, and then we're going to talk about it if from the current attorney general loretta lynch last week. got a lot of attention saying what she thinks the world needs to do. here it is. >> the good in this world far outweighs the evil.
1:05 pm
that our common humility transcends our differences and the most effective response to terror is hatred, compassion, unity, and love. connell: compassion, unity, and love, sir. to some people they're saying, boy, we've got to go out and get these guys and that's not the right approach or mind-set. what are your thoughts? >> i think as far as the terrorists are concerned, we have to go out and kill them. to the extent that we have to wage another form of war, that is at the social media level, we have to try to educate people about the lives of their being told. many of these young people are being promised rewards in heaven which they think are going to give them a golden path to a better life by killing other people. we have to wage a war against that type of indocknation and propagation so, yes, we have
1:06 pm
to take out the terrorists that are trying to kill us but we also have to engage through the religious organizations, through the mosques, through the leaders in the -- our allies like the uae and saudi arabia and all of the middle eastern countries. but basically it's education, taking them on in terms of what they're saying and what they're doing. but if they're known terrorists that are coming after us, we have to go after them before they get here. connell: former secretary of defense. william cohen. thank you, sir. appreciate you coming on. >> pleasure. connell: let me go back to the stock market now. we've said it a number of times today that if somehow we could find a way to add 316 points to the dow today, it seemed like a long shot this morning, break even given everything that happened with great britain. we're back up almost 200. we have back most of the post vote losses if you want to call it that. however, there is a warning out there from the imf of more turbulence ahead. jack mcintyre is next. joins us right now on how to play what i -- the word we've
1:07 pm
heard so many times, jack, is uncertainty. how do you assess the risk out of europe given we don't really know what's going to happen and how it will all play out with the uk leaving? >> yeah. it's a great question. because if anybody tells you that they're a brexit expert, run for the hills because nobody knows how it's going to play. i view it from the spectrum that it's going to be somewhere between leem an and y2k, and it's not leem an because leem an was a shock, a surprise, this was always a chance. y2k if you remember that, there was a lot of angst aren't it but a nonevent. i think we're closer to y2k, but it's going to clearly have an adverse effect on the european economy just only from a corporate standpoint because i think corporates are going to be a little bit more reluctant to do that. and the euro going to have a positive impact on the economy.
1:08 pm
so mr. might be a little bit of an offset. connell: you try to have a macro mind-set but in this case maybe you do have to pick and choose that -- and be able to say examine yz might be positive and this may be negative that there may help that economy and in turn help certain asset classes that you're investing in. is that true number one, and, if so, do you have any in mind? >> well, i would take it as a counter argument because i do think we are still in a very global macrodriven economy. i think the brexit, it's impacting the markets. going to add a little bit of volatility but, to me, it's a lot more -- important in terms of the markets or portfolio what happens with china in terms of its growth prospects. what happens with fed policy as it pertains to the u.s. dollar. if the u.s. economy if we're doing okay, if china's doing
1:09 pm
okay, i'm not going to say europe is irrelevant, but europe is not a driver of global growth. their growth comes from exports. so it's a lot more important to keep an eye on china and the u.s. connell: and what's your -- your own personal second amendment of that? how much of a drag china could be? or your concerns about the u.s. economy? >> see, i'm actually -- i think those are probably two mild positives in here. . connell: okay. >> so i think china is going to do more stimulus. they can do fiscal stimulus, monetary, they've got more tools in their toolbox. . connell: and then we're doing okay too. >> yeah. it's interesting because the impact of brexit with u.s. is that it has basically taken the fed off the table in terms of rate hikes. so that actually -- and that means that the u.s. dollar probably is not going to be off to the races. so that's going to help the u.s. economy. so i'm -- you know, i'm not pounding the table bullets on the global economy. but i just don't see us going in to a recession. connell: it's interesting right. >> important from an investment standpoint. connell: because even before
1:10 pm
the uk vote. even when we were all assuming -- most people were and that's why it became such a shock on friday, even when we were assuming it would go the other way, we had a guest on and we were asking them do you think there's going to be a recession? and some guests came on saying, yeah, i think we're going to have a recession. that was minus the uk, but you think we're all right? >> yeah. i think it is. i don't want to sound like an economist, but we know may was weak, we need to get figured out was that the anomaly if the june report kind of shows some strengths and, yeah, i think that sort of recession scenario won't necessarily get priced into risk assets in the u.s. to see you. thank you very much. and it's okay to hedge. you've got to be careful. thank you very much. up 184 on the dow. keep talking about the markets and we'll stay on the economy as well. bringing in the political discussion into all of this and donald trump has another speech this afternoon where he
1:11 pm
will talk about the economy in new hampshire and in particular this has been his theme. trade. he was all over trade the last couple of days. so his rally last night or a couple of days ago when he was in pennsylvania and from what we understand he will continue that today. ashley pratt is here so is steve cortez. and one of the things, ashley, we've been talking about is whether this makes sense politically for donald trump. we know this type of argument, this populous argument if you want to call it that, it's sold in the uk, sold in the primaries here, it is really kind of the hot thing right now. does it make sense for him to double and triple down on that or to start thinking in a way of shifting it to be, like, yeah, i'm still -- i'm not totally against free trade. do you think he'll pull back at all or keep going in one direction? >> i think he'll keep going in the same direction that he has been but one thing he has been hiring different advisors from different campaigns. so this is showing quite a shakeup there as he continues to pivot to the general election. but the point here is no matter who he brings on, the messaging always seems to say
1:12 pm
the same, and it stays pretty inconsistent. the one consistent message he has is railing on tpp and nafta and everything as well. which i think at this point, yeah, resonates with blue-collar voters, but he has to look at the real impact that would have here on our country and all he says it's going to make america great because then. but how? we need a real leader who can come and answer those questions about how they'll bring jobs back. connell: a couple of things. inconsistency i think you can hit trump on issues in question, you know, what he thought about this issue or that issue but not trade. if you go back to the '80s, he was talking about japan and the comments are very similar. funny enough to what we're hearing. >> he also praised globalism, though,. connell: well, and some would argue benefited from it through business, which is interesting. but a somewhat separate discussion. let me go to steve on the current issue, and it's a political -- you're a trump guy. it's a political decision for donald trump. does he keep going in this direction which quite a while
1:13 pm
frankly, but correct me if i'm wrong it sounds like a republican nominee who's either borderline or actually protectionist, which is strange to a lot of people. >> you know, connell, it may sound like that on its face but, unfortunately, some republicans are attacking him in that vein. but, no, i don't think that's the reality. look, it's not a binary choice here. either you are depo trade as presently constructed or yo you are a complete protectionist. no, there's a third way which trump is talking about to say we're for free trade, but it has to be fair. and we don't have fair trade right now. particularly with china. we're being utterly manipulated. we're almost completely open to chinese products and there's no reciprocity on the other side, and it has really hurt the american worker. and i think this is important in terms of a third way. both republicans and democrats have created in washington d.c. a system that is crony capitalism and that is rigged. and it is not free enterprise. and donald trump is saying i'm going to washington, and i'm going to destroy that rigged system to allow real free enterprise to flourish again and, ashley, i have to
1:14 pm
disagree. he's been incredibly specific. he wants to cut taxes and cut regulation. >> but also taxing the wealthy and raising the minimum wage. connell: just to wrap this up we'll reel quick, steve, you said the republicans against tariffs. more and more tariffs. >> which will crush jobs. connell: it's only going to wage prices, not lower them, and that's bad for growth. that's what a lot of republicans say, a number of them. >> i agree. i don't like tariffs. i don't think in the end trump does either, but we have to have a starting if i want to be negotiations. >> what do you mean you don't know he doesn't like it? he's the one who said it time and time again he's going to have the highest tariffs we've ever seen. >> only if china doesn't start to deal fairly with the united states. what other leverage do you have? you want to go at war with them? >> we could lose jobs and goes to means it impacts the workers here at home, which is very, very protectionist. i don't think that that's helpful for our economy, and i think we do of an a third way and the idea of a third way is someone not trump or clinton because it doesn't seem like either of them know how to actually help the american people.
1:15 pm
connell: i don't know if we're going to get that or not. >> negotiating is not protectionism. connell: we have to leave that on that note prescription and that's the trump line. it's all negotiation. everything is up for negotiation. forget about trade for just a moment, though, and ask yourself whether trump has a different kind of problem. trish regan with her take coming up. dow is up 183
1:16 pm
1:17 pm
1:18 pm
. >> doing great with women. you know, today i'm in maine, we have a sold out arena, the place is packed and every -- yesterday in ohio and in pennsylvania and in west virginia, it's packed with lines going outside. it's incredible. and half of these people -- i mean more than half it seems
1:19 pm
are women and have signs up women for trump, lo have you, donald, all of this stuff. it's unbelievable what's going on. connell: the data tells you a little bit of a different story there than what donald trump is talking about. this is the fox poll on women fox news polling from the latest poll that we had hillary clinton 50 and donald trump 32. trish regan is here with this. and we talked a moment ago about trade, which is one thing and how does he go on that issue? but this issue has been hanging over his campaign for a long time. the women vote, especially running against a woman. what do you make of those numbers? >> well, i think that they stand a shot at improving, and i think that the way he's going to get to women is to continue to emphasize the economy and security. most women are effectively the cfo of their household, of their writing the bills, balancing the checkbook, they care about economic security. they care about themselves having a job, their husband's having a job, their children
1:20 pm
having an opportunity to thrive in this economy. so if he continues on the economic message, i think a lot of women are going to say i want the person that's going to do best for my family. connell: well, that's what we're talking about with charlie gasparino when he was here i think he used the word more refined trump, whatever you want to call it. more scripted trump that he would stick to a message like that because there's this story line, i don't know how true it was if it was anecdotal of more women supporting trump and more women saying no. no. you better not support trump or else. but according to these numbers there's truth to that and he needs to do work here. >> he needs to do work for sure. and i think he's been portrayed badly. in part he's said some things along the way over the last however many years. but he's also a man who clearly takes women seriously. i mean you think about his daughter. she's a real testament to him and a testament to the fact that he's saying okay. my daughter's going to live a
1:21 pm
traditional life or anything would be less than what my sons have lived. connell: and he's had other people outside his family in high ranking post-tensioning. >> and even his current wife has a business she's involved in, a skin caroline on qvc. and very instrumental in his business and remade the plaza hotel here in new york city. so i don't think he's someone who necessarily says, well, you're a woman, you can't do the job. i think he's an equal opportunist in that he has put a lot of women to work and women in his own family anticipated and expected they would work. connell: go ahead. >> i think there's obviously room for him to improve and he needs to improve if he sticks to economy success and keeping a safe because that's also very much an issue that women are concerned with. he'll have some likes there. connell: the man, women issue. it's everybody issue. the security and economics too. he's going to talk about trade
1:22 pm
again today. that's really been a big one. >> and that does resonate with white males because you think about a lot of the job factories that have been lost to a certain segment of our population because those jobs have moved overseas. so he's definitely hitting home with that message. but i think that the wives, the daughters of those men also are going to hear this message. and more of it because every mother wants an opportunity for her child to be as successful, more successful, and it comes back to the economy. connell: thank you, trish, and we'll talk to you next hour and the intelligence report is coming your way at the top of the next hour. we see the market continue to rally. we'll stay on that. and get back all of these losses from friday and monday. almost there the way things are going. up 178 and heading no, i do not a weekend, the fourth of july weekend where they may very well be the busiest ever in terms of fourth of july weekends and weekend travel, that's the prediction coming in from aaa and others. former cia directors coming up
1:23 pm
on the security concerns surrounding that. james is next this woman owns this house, with new cabinets from this shop, with handles designed here, made here, shipped from here, on this plane flown by this pilot, who owns stock in this company, that builds big things and provides benefits to this woman, with new cabinets. they all have insurance crafted personally for them. not just coverage, craftsmanship. not just insured. chubb insured.
1:24 pm
1:25 pm
. . . .
1:26 pm
>> there is no place to hide. the fact that the focus is now on airports, doesn't mean that you can go to any other place and feel reasonably safe. you can keep extending the, the perimeter and yet the terrorists will find a soft target where people gather to create just as much chaos. connell: that was the interview we did with former defense secretary bill cohen who was on. he touched on what our "fox news" polling, eight out of 10 americans, 84%, tell they are nervous about the government's ability to stop terror attack. that number in july 05 was only 50%. former secretary of defense james woolsey is here. do understand the way people
1:27 pm
feel when they tell us that? >> certainly. they see san bernanadino and see disney world and see istanbul and they identified with the people who are there and they're worried and they have a good reason to be worried because the government is not doing what it should to fight terrorism domestically and indeed one of the most damaging things the government is doing is downplaying terrorism by the language it use us. talking about workplace violence. connell: not saying islamic radical terror. >> or jihadis. they call themselves jihadis. why don't we call them jihadis? this is ridiculous. like a skit out of "saturday night live." connell: you don't identify the problem. practically we're not doing what? >> you don't identify so you can say everything is fine. if it is not a clear problem that you're working hard on and sometimes winning and sometimes losing, then you can continually claim the narrative, the
1:28 pm
narrative is everything is fine. connell: if you were the cia director now, would you go to the white house to say here is what we're missing? that is one thing. a lot of people made that argument and i could certainly see it but what else would you say we're missing. >> we need to get together with the high he can industry, the people that control data election. i'm talking about the big ones. connell: google, amazon. >> google, amazon, the rest. put put them together they know a lot more about you and me than the united states does. connell: are they cooperative? >> some of them r they need to be put together, only president of the unistates can do this they need to be put together, the companies and parts of government relevant such as the national security agency and come up with a common plan. they can't just each go off on his own and say i'm protecting everybody's privacy so i will not work with say i'm protecting everybody's
1:29 pm
civil liberty abouts i will not help with that. connell: the president has a meeting hypothetically in the oval office and leaders of apple and has zuckerberg there and tim cook and zuckerberg and google guys and they're all there, they say to him, mr. president, we would lovehelp out, people buying our products are very concerned about security, we can't do this. what should be the argument. government to convince them to get them on board? >> imagine himself franklin roosevelt, day after december 7th, after pearl harbor, called together company's executives. we're in a war we might lose. we have to win it. we will win it. you will do what i say or you are going to tangle with me personally. connell: do it publicly. >> i would do it privately in in the first instance, pressuring them? >> we don't really have leadership like this in the united states.
1:30 pm
we don't have the kind of consideration that this is a very serious problem and it will get worse domestically unless we do something about it. that thought is not really present as far as i can tell within the government. there are some in congress. some in congress are worried about this, electromagnetic pulse knocking out electric grid which should be at top. connell: james woolsey, always good to see you. thank you for the thoughts. important stuff of the especially role of business. >> thank you, ish the story about bill clinton, we talked about it on network a couple times. bill clinton and loretta lynch, how they got together. they spoke private planes, meeting, by chance? is there more to it than what we've been told so far. the white house just reacting to it. we'll tell you that ed rollins is also here to discuss it. it is coming up next. this just got interesting. why pause to take a pill?
1:31 pm
or stop to find a bathroom? cialis for daily use is approved to treat both erectile dysfunction and the urinary symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently, day or night. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medicines, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sex do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, or adempas for pulmonary hypertension, as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, get medical help right away for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or any symptoms of an allergic reaction, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis and a $200 savings card [so i use quickbooks and run mye entire business from the cloud. stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. i keep an eye on sales and expenses from anywhere. even down here in the dark i can still see we're having a great month. and celebrate accordingly. i run on quickbooks.that's how i own it.
1:32 pm
amazing sleep stays with you all day and all night. sleep number beds with sleepiq technology give you the knowledge to adjust for the best sleep ever. don't miss the lowest prices of the season sale, with the c2 queen mattress now only $699.99. plus 36 month financing. know better sleep. only at a sleep number store. approaching medicare eligibility? you may think you can put off checking out your medicare options until you're sixty-five, but now is a good time to get the ball rolling. keep in mind, medicare only covers about eighty percent of part b medical costs. the rest is up to you. that's where aarp medicare supplement insurance plans insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company come in.
1:33 pm
like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, they could help pay some of what medicare doesn't, saving you in out-of-pocket medical costs. you've learned that taking informed steps along the way really makes a difference later. that's what it means to go long™. call now and request this free decision guide. it's full of information on medicare and the range of aarp medicare supplement plans to choose from based on your needs and budget. all plans like these let you choose any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients, and there are no network restrictions. unitedhealthcare insurance company has over thirty years experience and the commitment to roll along with you, keeping you on course. so call now and discover how an aarp medicare supplement plan could go long™ for you. these are the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp, an organization serving the needs of people 50 and over for generations.
1:34 pm
plus, nine out of ten plan members surveyed say they would recommend their plan to a friend. remember, medicare doesn't cover everything. the rest is up to you. call now, request your free decision guide and start gathering the information you need to help you keep rolling with confidence. go long™. ♪ connell: there are certainly questions about this meeting, quote, unquote, chance meeting between former president bill clinton and attorney general loretta lynch where they supposedly on tarmac, two of them in their planes in phoenix and they met. they got together 30 minutes and didn't talk about any investigation anything like that. talked about the family and golf, what have you. anyway, there is white house response that just came in. let's watch that. >> both the president and the
1:35 pm
attorney general understand how important it is for the department of justice to conduct investigations that are free of political interference. the rule of law is paramount and every american citizen should be held accountable to that rule of law regardless of their political affiliation, regardless of who supports them politically, regardless of what their poll numbers say. connell: bring in former reagan advisor ed rollins on this. a trump guy these days. super-pac that you're raising money for that supports donald trump. i'm sure you have chance meetings like this all the time in your private jet. >> important thing, i have no idea what went on in the conversation, it is the perception. connell: right. >> at this point in time where mrs. clinton is about to be nominee of their party, about to be certainly a very viable candidate in the fall, who has made all sorts of mistakes to emails and what have you under investigation at very
1:36 pm
significant time and person who is going to basically make the final judgment will be the attorney general. you think last thing they would do give impression something may have occurred. whether it did or not, i can't say. connell: even david axelrod, bad optics. >> bad optics. looks very mysterious. unfortunately a lot of people have conspiracy theories. what i say about conspiracy theories you have to be right once to make it all worthwhile. this was foolish thing. might have sent a message, mr. president, we can't have a conversation at this point in time. move on. connell: we do have reaction from donald trump. he is going to be on with sean hannity tonight, an interview taped already. see full interview on fox news channel. here is donald trump on this story. >> when i first heard that yesterday afternoon i actually thought they were joking. i thought the people that told me, i said no way. just no way that is going to happen and it happened.
1:37 pm
and i am just, i'm flabbergasted by it. i think it is amazing. i have never seen anything like that before. connell: he is flabbergasted by it. you know, the idea here, to your point, even nothing was done wrong the idea you're thinking, everybody thinking in their minds you know the fix is in. there will be no indictment. some people have to assume that won't happen at this point. >> the justice department was so tainted during first, four or five years when eric holder was attorney general. close political ally of president's. obviously did many things. hope the new attorney general came in would be above all that. obviously at critical point, most important decision she will make. fbi will advise her to do something she may not want to do, any perception is wrong. connell: what was your thoughts on loretta lynch? you're right, a lot of people thought she was fair around good background as prosecutor and jim comey as fbi director. >> absolutely. there is still another big card to play here.
1:38 pm
that is questioning of mrs. clinton before, by comey and by whoever the justice department decides to be in the room. that is stalled and stalled and stalled. should have been done months ago. obviously she is too busy in the course of campaign. we need this cleaned up before she is the nominee of this party. i would say this just forces that hand just that much more quicker. connell: do you think there are any significant odds? politics is played especially these days there will be a legal issue an indictment for secretary clinton before the election. >> i don't think she will be indicted. no question she basically violated the law way she handled emails. i think any serious, including former attorney generals have said that. my sense is they will make, fbi will basically, have done a thorough job. they will make a recommendation. the recommendation will be either to negotiate something or to basically not move forward. but the bottom line is if they don't feel they're treated well or fairly, particularly someone
1:39 pm
like comey who is such extraordinary talent with such a great reputation they will not sit quietly by. something will be leaked. this is our recommendation. but no indictment. connell: no indictment. ed rollins, thank you. breaking news. we just learned that s&p, standard & poor's downgrading european union credit rating. down to double a. it was aa-plus. we're still up by 170. last three days the rally continues. we'll truck -- talk more about the downgrade. and about the british exit. conrad black people saying everything would be disaster that was overblown. we'll see if he adds anything to this with his thoughts coming up.
1:40 pm
1:41 pm
>> good afternoon, live from the floor of the new york stock exchange, i'm lori rothman with your fox business brief. 20 points off the session highs so far. dow back in positive territory for the year. "brexit," no big deal. game on for companies. we have deal news for you. one in the entertainment industry. lion's gait offering to buy starz.
1:42 pm
lionsgate made "hunger games". starz has outlander. mondelez made a bid for hershey. best known for cadbury. this is $21 billion market cap for hershey. 23 billion-dollar reported offer from mon dell lease. let know when hershey reopens. other food stocks reaction are soaring.
1:43 pm
1:44 pm
connell: let's stay on this news we told but a moment ago from standard & poor's, downgrading the european union credit rating to double a from aa-plus. our next guest, media tycoon conrad black joins us. you have been out there saying if people say the vote in the uk is a problem for the economy, they don't know what they're talking about. so i come to you with this latest information and this downgrade of the european union and you say? >> i say that that is precisely where the vulnerability is. if you look at the european union, as an entity, that, that structure in brussels it doesn't really answer to the member-states and doesn't have to be responsible to the european parliament in strasbourg. a bunch of unelected, almost anonymous people in brussels showering all europe from the
1:45 pm
polish-ukrainian border to lisbon and from the north cape to greek islanding telling them what to do with everything and they have no legitimacy. if you look at it now, majority in france, and they're having election next year would leave a bigger majority than voted to leave in britain. a majority in the netherlands and in denmark. they have new governments in the last six to nine months pledge to leave. they're going to hold referendums. what is really at issue the way the eu has been set up. everyone is for a common market. everyone is for cooperation. there is no xenophobia, there is concern about immigration this was a government system that was never going to work and a fantasy from a bunch of bureaucrats. connell: as we look down from here, we look on these days, will see uk that is stronger without the european union but
1:46 pm
if you're right about the real problems and s&p seems to think along these lines, we saw this particular issue the real problems within the remaining european union countries, you're giving incentive, aren't you, for other countries, i don't know if it gets to france and other countries that big, we're out as well. do you expect to he see a lot of that? >> not quite like that. i think you will see a reorganization hard currency block, a eurozone around germany. a concept around germany but not accumulated by force or threat, by performance, emulation, cordiality, companies happy to be with germany in hard currency, fiscal disciplined bloc, like the dutch, as youtryians and other countries, contiguous countries. i think you will have a looser group but in common market where france is the unofficial leader. and british in some sort of
1:47 pm
common market but not any kind of political union and brussels will be essentially a coordinating center -- connell: between three of them? what used to be called variable speed europe. that is what we should get. those that want to feder rate should do it and those that don't shouldn't. connell: that could work for us? >> they're great nationalities. they will make it work but they have to get the structure right. look, even the united states started with the articles of confederation. took you a few years to get your constitution. you got to work these things out but it will get there. connell: right. and trade deals they will have to work out, that could be a messy process, right? >> it is terribly complicated. it is almost impossible to understand foreign trade discussions. you have to be outright wonk. they all have wonks and they all have to talk to each other. connell: get the wonks together. >> good thing we don't need to
1:48 pm
listen. connell: get back to us when you have the whole thing figured out. that could be our argument. >> then the politicians have to sell it. connell: for the uk, one of the things we talked about last hour the idea they could set themselves up, maybe people in the uk wouldn't say we want to be more like ireland but set themselves up by cutting corporate taxes and independent of eu we'll be a place for business as opposed to concerns we heard late last week, friday evening, everybody was supposedly telling us all the businesses and big banks would leave the uk, what do you say? >> complete bunk. all of it was bunk. what you said is good idea. conservative party in britain i think will choose michael gobe as leader. i knowhim's well. he is very conciliatory, not ineffective or weak. he is essentially a thatcherrite. he will cut taxes and -- connell: better than boris johnson, a better option? >> they're both very fine, able
1:49 pm
men. they're both good friends of mine and i would say he is less controversial person. he is not a humor rouse or charismatic but they will work together despite slightly aabrasive words exchanged between them. that happens in politics. that happens in your country too, you know. connell: from what i hear. we'll probably hear next hour, who knows, five or ten minutes. conrad black, terrific to see you. great insights. thank you for coming on. >> thanks for having me. connell: moving on here to the rising terrorism fears we've been talking about ahead of the 4th of july weekend and how the obama administration is not exactly calming things down. that's next. if you suffer from a dry mouth,
1:50 pm
then you'll know how uncomfortable it can be. but did you know that the lack of saliva can also lead to tooth decay and bad breath? well, there is biotene, specially formulated with moisturizers and lubricants... biotene can provide soothing relief and it helps keep your mouth healthy too. biotene, for people who suffer from a dry mouth. perfect driving record. >>perfect. no tickets. no accidents...
1:51 pm
>>that is until one of you clips a food truck, ruining your perfect record. >>yup... now, you would think your insurance company would cut you some slack, right? >>no. your insurance rates go through the roof. your perfect record doesn't get you anything. >>anything. perfect! for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. and if you do have an accident, our claim centers are available to assist you 24/7. for a free quote, call liberty mutual at switch to liberty mutual and you could save up to $509 call today at see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance.
1:52 pm
1:53 pm
>> there is no place to hide. the fact the focus is now on airports doesn't mean that you can go to any other place and feel reasonably safe. you can keep extending the perimeter and yet the terrorists will find a soft target. >> the government is not doing what it should to fight terrorism domestically and indeed one of the most damaging things the government is doing is downplaying terrorism by the language it uses. connell: there you go, former secretary of defense and former director of the cia, bill cohen, james woolsey both with us this hour. this as iraqi and us air strikes killed 250 isis fighters. we have that in the news. the administration says we're winning war against isis citing stories like that. "fox news" polling shows many fear the terrorists are ones that are winning. interesting that the perception out there.
1:54 pm
former army intelligence officer andrew peek is with us from our own newsroom in new york. is that perception or reality? what do you think? who is winning? is that the right way to ask it? >> i don't want to doom monger ahead of a lovely 4th of july weekend but the macro trends clearly indicate the bad guys are winning. if you go back to 2001, if you say 2016 four major middle-eastern governments were over thrown by islamic radicals, iraq, syria, lebanon yemen and libya. connell: right. >> success of bush administration increased drone strikes, i think any sensible person would say we're losing. connell: on battleground, some in the administration we're making progress would argue. the other side you could argue as well, there is the idea of stopping these homegrown type of terrorists or these attacks like san bernardino or like orlando, or overseas like what we've seen
1:55 pm
now in two major international airports. and that's where james woolsey was on with me a few minutes ago, that is the point he is making. we're not doing enough. we need to do more in the government. do you agree with that? he said we should get the tech companies ceos, get them involved in it. what do you think? >> i think that's right. i absolutely agree with cia director woolsey is that language is important. the reason it is important for the president to say radical islam is the problem, the president has a soapbox. he can build domestic consensus for controversial procedures, surveilling mosques, enforcing borders, if you do it without naming problem the pc police will tear you to pieces. connell: that was his first point. yes, exactly right. we should say this is islamic terrorism and then his second point was we should get, you know, tim cooks, mark zuckerbergs of the world, big tech ceos we want information. you got to do it.
1:56 pm
it is your patriotic duty. that was his point. >> that is absolutely right. the government needs a serious come to jesus meeting with tech ceos. we know your customers don't like our access to their data. connell: right. >> okay? it may hurt your bottom line if you agree to cooperate with us but you know what? this is the world we live in and you are u.s. companies, and this is the way it is going to be. so we ask that you do your part. i don't think it is too much to ask. connell: if that really happens, that kind of a sit-down happens. andrew peek, good to see you. something happening at midnight tonight has at least one fast-food legend worried. we'll have the story next. 20 of 30 dow stocks are higher today. the rally continues. we're back in a moment.
1:57 pm
1:58 pm
1:59 pm
connell: tomorrow on this very program, former mcdonald's ceo
2:00 pm
ed renzi will be on. why he thinks this is dangerous precedent. see how this market closes up this afternoon. up 187 points. the three-day rally continues. as we hand it over to trish regan. trish: like "brexit" never happened, right, connell? up 200. we'll see if it lasts. head of the cia says attack in turkey could happen here in the united states of america. he is warning that isis likely planning similar attacks in our country as we speak. this as a new "fox news poll" shows donald trump nipping at hillary clinton's heels. i'm trish regan. welcome, everyone, to the intelligence report. we have a whole lot going on. up 188. turkish police rounding up 13 suspects to the terror attack. we identified three suicide bombers that massacred 44 people and injured 230 others. they're russian speakers with

28 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on