Skip to main content

tv   Geraldo at Large  FOX News  October 16, 2011 10:00pm-11:00pm PDT

10:00 pm
very young children. we go now to our regularly scheduled program. i'm geraldo rivera. it's gaining steam. early this sunday morning chicago feels the brunt of occupy wall street. more than 175 arrestees were refusing to leave grant park following a march from the federal reserve. in new york, at least 92 arrested in times square and greenwich village as thousands filled the streets from here to portland to phoenix, paris, to pittsburgh to philadelphia. >> we've been pulled out. small people have to fend for themselves. >> it's happening from miami to
10:01 pm
milwaukee, australia to anchorage to arizona, oakland to orlando, boston to brussels to berlin, l.a. to lis lisbon to london. it spread to paris, athens, madrid, and back home to denver, colorado where at least two dozen more are arrested, and as it spreads, anti-american leaders like iran's supreme leader ayatollah ali khamenei and venezuela's hugo chavez root for the collapse of capitalism. polls show deep and spreading distrust of wall street, a whopping 68% of independents and more surprisingly, 60% of republicans now say they have unfavorable impressions of our big financial institutions. still, what are they for?
10:02 pm
>> we have a varied agenda but the message is clear. the status quo is unsuccessful and unsustainable for keeping a strong middle class which is essential to our democracy. >> which party, if either, will harness their energy? what is their real agenda? is this a legitimate protest? or a deep, dark plot to overthrow the free world as we know it? >> this is a ma r xism revolution global in its nature. >> they want to create an ar key, is that the strategy? >> you have the leaders of the movement two weeks ago on ms-nbc saying we're not here to reform. we're going to collapse the system. we are not here to reform it. they're calling openly for revolution. >> i think that glenn's statements on the program were
10:03 pm
harsh at best, paranoid or delusionsal at worst. i think he's blowing the grand scheme of this out of proportion. >> we're going to see who's right. beck or rivera. we're going to track it. also tonight, mlk's monument gets dedicated. the latest on cain's muteiny, and who gets the latin vote. stand by for what will prove to be a lively hour. we're in the midst of it. it's a month and counting. we know what they are against. what are they for? that's our question? let me introduce my guests. they are from left to right famed entertainment mogul russ russell simmons. the former nypd detective. our own charles payne from fox business network.
10:04 pm
matt siegel from our time, the website. sally kohn, and representing organized labor from communications workers 1180 and if we pick up the camera, a cast of thousands, a group with very strong feelings, but they've said we can do the program. they're being extremely polite and we appreciate that. let me start with you. i started the question with we know what they're against. what are they for? >> i've said it before. people should go to foxnews.com. this isn't the group that has to decide what they're for. it's enough for them to be against something. they're against the same thing that frankly 99% of americans are against. a third of republicans. they're against inequality and the fact that it's risen dramatically over the left several decades. the question really isn't why are these folks here, the question is why aren't more folks with them. >> let me balance is with a
10:05 pm
conservative voice. it is true. i have seen surveys and later on in the program we'll indicate them that 68% of independents and 60% of republicans do have an unfavorable attitude toward the financial institutions that surround us here in the park. >> well, you know what? i don't blame them for that part. in other words, i was against the bank bailouts. i think in capitalism if you fail, you fail. if i start a lemonade stand and it doesn't work out, no one is going to bail me out. i think the idea of tearing down this whole structure is misguided. look at what's going on in europe. we're seeing socialism come to an end. it does not work. they need gigantic bailouts. >> nobody's advocating socialism. >> what about that? we're patriots. we're patriots. we are patriots. we just don't want wall street to control our future. we want the power back to the people and away from
10:06 pm
corporations and special interests. it's really simple, and it's -- we've stated it over and over. we're at wall street not because we hate that they exist, not because we want to tear it down. we just don't want it to control our future. they should not be able to bribe politicans that we elect. >> they've been bribing politicans for many generations. >> they shouldn't do it illegal. >> you know, geraldo, i'm glad i came down. you look around. these are good people. when someone gets $150 million like the ceo from merrill lynch, it [bleep] me off. people have to realize they have to do it in a way, don't let people influence you to do bad things because the whole thing will go bye bye. you've got to be peaceful down here. do what you gotta do. i support a peaceful demonstration. you're going to get infiltrators. >> hold it. what about what you said about peaceful? >> absolutely. that's a hundred percent what the majority of people are here
10:07 pm
about. we're not here to violently take down the government. they spend almost a trillion on defense every year. they could destroy us. we're here to come and advocate social justice. we're hear for peace. >> matt? >> first of all, give me your reaction. what reaction did you get? what vibe did you get from last week from people who are generally sympathetic? >> we got a lot of viewer feed back that said our generation, my generation is anti-capitalist. i think these rallies are pro capitalist because they're supporting small merchants and businesses who can't compete against the tw too big to fail institution who are getting all the reception in washington. this crowd behind me is too a bg to fail, not the banks. >> interesting point. certainly a good slogan. you have a situation here where organized labor historically has been able to deliver the boots oon the ground and the votes. will these folks vote? will they be a political factor come november? >> that will be their decision to make. it's not our decision to make it for them.
10:08 pm
what we need to be talking about is the fact there's a difference between democracy and capitalism. we shouldn't confuse the two because democracy means government by and for the people. capitalism is an economic system, and we should make sure as roosevelt did that the government needs to intervene at times to make sure that capitalism can survive because right now it's run amuck. if it's -- it has destroyed our whole society. >> how does this energy become something practical that changes society? >> for me, the whole idea is ultimately the kids in this park have to go out into the world. ultimately they're going to have to be able to manifest their anger, their frustration and to change within organizations. the notion of tearing all of this down and rebuilding it sphr scratch -- from scratch is not good.
10:09 pm
>> geraldo, what all these people here have to do, i don't care if you're democrat, republican, liberal, or conservative. you have to contact these guys that make the laws. it takes them so [bleep] long to change laws. >> russell, is this the wrong town to be occupying? >> the fact is wall street already occupies washington on our behalf. we want the people to do it. us going to work will promote the energy to some politican, they'll write legislation and possibly a constitutional amendment that will stop wall street from controlling our government an return the power oto the people. >> you're dreaming t about a constitutional amendment. >> i've gotta take a break. much more plus the latino vote. what's with that? herman cain, what's with him? he's with us again this week. he's with us again this week. we'll be right back live. [ male announcer ] butter. love the taste, but want to cut back on f?
10:10 pm
try smart balance buttery sead. 's heart-healthier than butter. with omega-3s. 64% less saturated fat. andlinically proven to help support healthy cholesterol. ♪ put a little love in your heart ♪ andlinically proven to help support healthy cholesterol. get your cash back! oh, hi. which cash back booth looks better to you, chase freedom or the largest cashback card? oh, i'll try the largest. oh, that is too bad. apparently you don't know chase freedom guarantees you 1% cash back. 4 times more than the largest cash back card, which only gives you a quarter percent until you spend $3,000 every year.
10:11 pm
but have fun. bob and weave once you're in there. don't get short changed. get your cash back. chase freedom. what makes us number one in motorcycle insurance? we love bikes. we love riders.
10:12 pm
and most of all, we love to ride. perfect hair every time. leading the pack in motorcycle insurance. now, that's progressive. call or click today. >> stand by for the latest. now back to the show. we need more than ever to
10:13 pm
take heed of dr. king's teachings. he calls on us to stand in the other person's shoes. to see through their eyes. to understand their pain. he tells us that we have a duty to fight against poverty, even if we are well off. to show compassion toward the immigrant family with the knowledge that most of us are only a few generations removed from similar hardships. >> the president daring to say something compassionate about immigrants at today's dedication of the mlk monument which we'll talk more about later, and as democrats rediscover the important voting blocks, the republicans have their own plan for the latino vote, promoting newcomers like martinez and sandoval, senator rue yo for vice-president. first, is president obama losing the hispanic vote? >> if you say that we should not
10:14 pm
educate children who have come into our state for no reason than they've been brought there by no fault of their own, i don't think you have a heart. we need to be educating these children because they will become a drag on our society. >> for most latinos, it was candidate perry's finest moment, a plea for compassion for the children of illegal immigrants. loudly booed by the crowd, the texas governor's campaign has since been crushed by conservatives demanding their candidates give no quarter to the undocumented. >> it has to be somewhat disheart inning to have come into the race and be the frontrunner right away and then people started hearing potentially about your policies, specifically immigration, and paying for in state tuition for illegal immigrants. some conservatives said they didn't want to be on board with that. >> again, i'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about the polls. >> perry plunged from first place and a high of 31.8% on
10:15 pm
september 13th to third place now, and just 13.7% on friday. >> we are doing everything we can administratively, but the fact of the matter is there are laws in the books that i have to enforce. >> the president has also suffered at the polls because of imimmigration, but ey ironicall, his problem is the reverse of perry's, that he's been too tough, deporting more illegals in the first two years than george w. bush did in eight, alarmed by the sharp drop in latino support that followed. in august his administration announced what conservatives immediately branded a back door amnesty. >> what we can do is to prioritize enforcement since there are limited enforcement resources. >> do you feel a sense of concern over the apparent erosion of support for the president and the administration among latinos? >> this is interior secretary
10:16 pm
ken salazar. >> the reason i am not is because i think that the american latinos will ask themselves who is on our side. >> to reinforce latino support, the president wednesday staged an event labeled the first white house forum on american latino heritage. >> it's an honor to be here with so many leaders and thinkers who have come together for one reason, to celebrate latino culture. >> the president of the united states making what was essentially very political and partisan speech advocating passage of portions of his jobs bill, but what went unremarked here at the first ever white house forum on the american latino heritage is what he intend to do about the 12 million undocumented immigrants who are currently in states like arizona and alabama being singled out to very harsh treatment. aren't the undocumented immigrants like the 12 million elephants in the room?
10:17 pm
doesn't the president have to move much more aggressively to resolve the situation? >> i think he has been. i've been a partner with him on that. i know he cares very deeply and i know he empathizes greatly with what we're doing. >> the secretary of labor, hilda solis, makes the argument that latinos have a friend in the white house. >> it isn't by coincidence that you have the first latina as cabinet member or ken salazar in the cabinet. hundreds of latinos serve in the administration. >> we'll asked the famed detective. mayor guiliani woul would not he allowed this group to stay here. mayor bloomberg much more open minded or liberal or progressive or weak in some minds. where do you stand on it? >> coming down here, i'm glad i came down. it's the first time i was here. i see the crowd. the most important thing is that the crowd realizes that's what they're waiting for, for some
10:18 pm
kind of violence to occur. when violence occurs, they treat that with violence. as long as they conduct themselves, it's all about cleaning the park. you can make a perimeter, make it into quarts. as long as the people are together and not doing stuff that is destroying property or hurting things ... >> gotta wrap. we'll be right back. i was having trouble getting out of bed in the morning because my back hurt so bad. the sleep number bed conforms to you. i wake up in the morning with no back pain. i can adjust it if i need to...if my back's a little more sore. and by the time i get up in the morning, i feel great! if you have back pain, toss and turn at night or wake up tired with no energy, the sleep number bed could be your solution. the sleep number bed's secret is it's air chambers which provide ideal support and put you in control of the firmness. and the bed is perfect for couples because each side adjusts independently to their unique sleep number. here's what clinical research has found: 93% of participants experienced back-pain relief.
10:19 pm
90% reported reduced aches and pains. 87% fell asleep faster and enjoyed more deep sleep. for study summaries, call this number now. we'll include a free dvd and brochure about the sleep number bed including prices, and models plus a free $50 savings card. and how about this? steel springs can cause uncomfortable pressure points. but the sleep number bed contours to your body. imagine how good you'll feel when your muscles relax and you fall into a deep sleep! i'm not just a back surgeon, i'm also a back patient. i sleep on the sleep number bed myself and i highly recommend it to all of my patients. need another reason to call? the sleep number bed costs about the same as an innerspring but lasts twice as long. so if you want to sleep better or find relief for your bad back, call now. call the number on your screen for your free information kit with dvd, brochure and price list.
10:20 pm
call right now and you'll also receive a $50 savings card just for inquiring about the sleep number bed. ask about our risk-free 30-night in-home trial. call now for your free information kit and a free $50 savings card. call now!
10:21 pm
>> geraldo: even though we've gone to great lengths to make them feel welcome, there have regrettably been some clashes between the protesters and law enforcement. several demonstrators have even been pepper sprayed. although these were isolated incidents, on behalf of the city, i would like to apologize and to make one thing absolutely clear. all pepper spray used was made from 100% pure cayenne pepper
10:22 pm
extract without any added oil or trans fats and was completely to salt-free. >> geraldo: back at large. i want to thank the crowd for allowing us to do the show without excess chanting. in the commercial break something interesting happened. i didn't get why there was this debate other than he was successful. rusrussell thinks that was unfa. go ahead. >> success occurs in society because of the infrastructure of a society. some will excel. there's a whole matrix of things that happen. government merely serves as the foundation upon which congress, industry, and civil society is built. >> what does that have to do with charles? >> charles' individual success had a lot to do with the fact that the infrastructure was in place. it gave him the opportunity to
10:23 pm
excel. >> geraldo: that says to me you're in support of the institutions. >> i think we're in support of government. absolutely. >> geraldo: wait. before i get to russell. go ahead. >> i hear this message that you, the president, elizabeth warren, you're on a public street. listen. i started my business in a one bedroom apartment in harlem with $10,000 arais i raised from my y and friends. >> god bless you. >> right. god bless me. i bust my [bleep] every day. that i owe you more of my credit for what i do when i get up every morning at 4 in the morning is righ ridiculous. my message says if we all do well, each individual can do well. unless we all do well, none of us will do well.
10:24 pm
>> this argument is whether or not we're part of a collective and we should be responsible even going all the way to health care or decent education or people that are suffering in poverty. should we be responsible for them? people out here believe we should be. they believe that our government in some cases should fund decent health care, a decent education, a decent opportunity. there are others who believe i did it myself. we know that isolation is referred to as a sickness. we as a society have to represent the people and the individuals and not the corporations. >> you do well in this country, you do well by this country. i like charles. charles is a great guy. nobody's questioning his hard work. frankly, nobody's questioning the hard work of people who do well in society. the larger issue is in this country, you can't just work hard and get ahead and do well any more. that used to be the american dream. let's be really, really clear. there are legal structures in this country that are enforced, your patents and policy th polie
10:25 pm
enforced. if you drove a product. the roads are paid for. wait second. all i'm saying and all these people are saying is we should have an opportunity for other hard working people to do well. >> what percentage of taxes should someone pay to support that? that's all i want to know. >> right now the wealthy are paying a lower tax rate. >> i've got a $100 million check. every single one of my employees paid more taxes than me. it's ridiculous. >> you're buying lunch. >> every single person here wants to work. previous generations had the gi bill and legislation to help them succeed. no one here feels entitled to a job like someone is supposed to do it for us. the signs say we want to work and we want to serve. >> what comes out, geraldo, i'm a retired new york detickettive. i retired in 1985.
10:26 pm
i decided not to go to florida and silt back and drink beer and get fatter than i was. i decided to bust my butt and move on and be an entrepreneur. that's my prerogative. because i did it, i should not be penalized. >> what somebody needs to explain to these folks is not that a single mother with three working in a clothing store isn't working hard. she's working hard and making 13,000 a year. is it fair for someone to make 1,200 times more than her fair? 1,200 times more than her fair? >host: could switching to geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance? host: do people use smartphones to do dumb things? man 1: send, that is the weekend. app grapgic: yeah dawg! man 2: allow me to crack...the bubbly! man 1: don't mind if i doozy. man 3: is a gentleman with a brostache invited over to this party? man 1: only if he's ready to rock!
10:27 pm
♪ sfx: guitar and trumpet jam vo: geico. 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance.
10:28 pm
it's more gradual, subtly self-confident. shouldn't anti-aging be just as subtle? sculptra aesthetic. the injectable that replaces lost collagen gradually, for a naturally subtle look. and it can last up to two years. you didn't age overnight. why anti-e overnight? injection site discomfort, rednes bruising, bleeding, swelling, bumps and delayed lumps, some with inflammation may occur that typically resolve. it's anti-age for the modern age. visit sculptraaesthetic.com.
10:29 pm
10:30 pm
from america's news headquarters the death toll climbing after a week of rain in central america, 74 people are now reported dead including 27 in el salvador. an emergency official says many victims were killed by murd slides in their homes, thousands have been forced from their homes and the rain is expected to continue several more days. and st. louis cardinals facing off against cardinals in the world news. a win over the brewers sunday. the rangers making it into the series with a win saturday. game one will be wednesday, in st. louis. now back to "geraldo at
10:31 pm
large". for latest headlines log on to fox news.com. you're watching the most powe powerful name in news, fox news channel. as tough as times may be. i know we'll overcome. i know there are better days ahead. i know this because of the man towering over us. i know this because of all he and his generation endured. we are here today in a country that dedicated a monument to that legacy. so with our eyes on the horizon and our faith squarely placed in one another, let us keep striving. let us keep struggling. let us keep climbing toward that promised land of a nation and a world that's more fair and more just and more equal for every single child of god. >> geraldo: this is a fox news alert. a stone of human hewn from a
10:32 pm
mountain of despair. 15 years in the making, those promoting the historic monument to martin luther king, jr. could not have known it would be dedicated as it was today by the nation's first black president. what would mlk have said if he knew that the leading candidate or at least one of them to unseat the first black president would be a second black man, herman cain? here with the herminator is craig rivera. >> when you sake hands with herman cain, his eyes pierce right through you. >> his genuineness has struck a chord with the american people. >> he's a brilliant, brilliant, manuel versed to take over the job. >> he's on a roll. since sweeping the florida straw poll last month, his numbers are rising rapidly from 5% to 27% among g.o.p. hopefuls. we caught up with the cain train
10:33 pm
at a tea party rally in his home state of tennessee. >> he started as an also ran. they called him the flavor of the week. now herman cain, the g.o.p. hopeful, is at the top of the pack, appearing before record crowds. >> how does it feel to be back in tennessee? >> it feels great to be back in tennessee. i've gotta tell you. the hospitality here has been overwhelming. i've been here before, and it keeps growing and growing. >> they tell me there are incredible crowds a lot more than expected. what do you attribute that to. >> i attribute it to the fact that the voters, they get it. the voters got it months ago, and a lot of people are now coming out because they're dispelling the myth that cain is a longshot. >> is it because cain has a specific plan to turn our ailing economy around? his 999 flat tax plan was the headline in last week's new hampshire debates.
10:34 pm
>> it's a catchy phrase. in fact, i thought it was the price of a pizza when i first heard about it. >> each candidate lobbe lobbed grenades, some calling 999 unholily. >> when you take the 999 plan and turn it upside down, i think the devil's in the details. >> now that you're on top, people are coming after you. >> yes, the size of the bull's eye has gotten bigger, but pain never felt so good. >> they're looking at your 999 plan with a microscope. they're starting to take it apart. they're saying it won't work and it doesn't apply to people who aren't rich, who don't have money, that it's more beneficial to people with money. >> the people who are saying it won't work, what they're really saying is they don't want it to work. the notion that it is regressive on the poor is false for the following reasons. when you look at that sales tax, we simply have made invisible embedded taxes visible and reduced them.
10:35 pm
>> can cain sustain the rise of a better funded candidate? >> the biggest result that came out of the straw poll in florida is message is more powerful than money. we just reported 2.8 million dollars for the second quarter. that's next to romney being greater than 10 million, perry being greater than 10 million, and i think bachmann raised 4 million. we raised 2.8. governor perry and governor romney, they've got at least twice. in fact, the last numbers i saw said that governor romney has about 80 people on his staff. we only have 30, so he's burning up a whole lot more money. >> and what about the black vote? cain took heat when he claimed black voters were brain washed by democrats. >> one thing you were criticized for was saying that blacks are brain washed into thinking that
10:36 pm
they should be democrats. we've spoken to some of your supporters who say that's true. do you still believe that. >> i still believe that, but remember the other part that i said was the good news is a lot of black voters, a lot o a lot k americans are thinking for themselves. i'm not taking it back. >> sunday you went to the mlk memorial. how do you sway the black vote? >> with solutions. i've already had a lot of black voters tell me they voted for obama, but they wish they didn't because he didn't have the substance they hoped for. i have estimated just based upon anecdotal feed back that i'll get at least a third of the black vote or more, but here's the best part. they won't be voting for me because i'm black. it will be because i have better solutions and better ideas. >> >> you know, craig, last week i thought that he was interesting
10:37 pm
and charming, but not really a factor. i've changed my mind. >> everyone is waiting for herman cain's rocket to fizzle, but it hasn't. he's at the top of the polls. he continues to rise. he seems to be the real deal. >> geraldo: sally from movement vision, you had a tie-in for what's happening here with martin luther king, jr.. what was it? >> i mean, today as folks know, the martin luther king memorial was dedicated in washington. i think there's no question if martin luther king were alive today, he would be here with these folks. the most important quote i think to remember at this moment is he said look, the problem isn't necessarily inequality, that there's some degree of inequality in the country. that's always going to happen. the problem is such poverty amidst such plenty. that's what's driving these folks here today. >> geraldo: do you have an opinion about herman cain?
10:38 pm
>> you know, i think herman cain speaks to a nation that wants to have all of our problems boiled down to a few numbers. >> geraldo: 999. >> the reality is are not only republicans are going to be mad that he wants to raise our sales tax but most economists agree his plan won't fly and he won't fly as trelz. >> geraldo: what do you think of his plan, the 999 plan? >> i do worry about a national sales tax which is like a bat because everywhere it starts at 5 or 6%, it ends up at 20%. i love the idea that herman cain has come up with a plan. everyone else is talking in sound bites, and at least he's trying to craft something. i think that's important. we have to ultimately attack the tack code. that's where a lot of the corruption is, to be honest with you. >> geraldo: charles from the fox business network, our dear colleague, russell, the most successful man in the park,
10:39 pm
probably. i don't know where i rank, maybe 13th or 15th here. you got a little ran angry at mr being negative or conservative in my feelings about the crowd. i wasn't exactly clear why, but tell me. >> i wasn't angry. >> geraldo: people who do yoga don't get angry. >> you think these people want to tear down the system and make a more perfect union. these people are here because they're politically astute, they're compassionate, they're loving people, they're not violent in any way. they come to make a change in the country that they love. they don't want to tear anything down. >> geraldo: let's take a little walk. i'll be coming right back to you. >> you've got to realize something. >> we have a fox news logo following you. >> geraldo: they know me. why are you here? >> i'm actually from occupy maine. we started an occupation up there. as our general assembly has grown, i wanted to come down here and see how it's operating. >> what do you do in life? >> i'm a student at the
10:40 pm
university of southern maine. i work a part-time job in retail. >> geraldo: you, sir, where are you from? >> i'm from michigan. >> geraldo: tell us a bit about yourself and why you're here. >> i believe this is a tea party movement, back in the day when companies made money, people made money. today when companies make money, you lose your job. it ain't right. that is not right. that's why we're here so we encourage, encourage all tea partyers to come out and occupy. >> geraldo: why are you here? >> i'm here to represent the american people, to be a voice for the 99% have been screwed over by the 1%. we're sick and tired of the government system that doesn't give us an opportunity. >> geraldo: we'll do more with the crowd, more with our stellar panel. we're with occupy wall street. we'll be back right after this. if opping for insurance re like shopping foriapers,
10:41 pm
you might think all these cost about the same... protect about the sam.. but what if you have an accident? allstate accident forgiveness starts the day you sign up. these guys might make you wait a couple of years. we can't wait a couple years. [ babbles ] no you cannot. thanks. don't mention it. [ dennis ] shop less. get more. make one call to an allstate agent. [ female announcer ] call allstate now and you'll also get a free lifetime membership in good hands roadside assistance.
10:42 pm
10:43 pm
10:44 pm
>> the majority of the people in the country know little or nothing about us. if they do know something about us, it's frequently misinformation that they know. >> geraldo: he are the mormons. the jurnl church of jesus chrisf the latter day saints.
10:45 pm
to most, it's a mainstream religion known for it's soaring monuments and its eager missionaries. >> our heritage has shaped who we have become as a people. >> geraldo: some people gently mock it. >> maybe joseph smith did make it all up. i have a great life and a great family and i have the book of mormon to thank for that. >> geraldo: no joke. this week the attention turned toxic. >> when you have a religion that has its human founder that was developed 1800 years after christianty and its own book of revelation, that is a thee logical cult. >> geraldo: perry supporter pastor robert jeffries takes aim at romney and huntsman, the two mormons running for president. >> i can't think of anything more far flung than whether or not mormonism is a cult.
10:46 pm
>> geraldo: founded in 1830 in upstate new york by joseph smith, one of mormonism's early problems is the long held beliefs that blacks were not eligible for membership but polygamists were. >> mary and i have one child. she's 14 now. ganelle and i have six kids. christine and i have five kids from 6 to 14 years old with one more on the way. >> polygamy has long been rejected by mainstream mormons, 14 million strong who have become some of the nation's most respected citizens. will their candidates be rejected because their faith does not conform with traditional christian beliefs? back at large in zuccotti park. i want to swing out to salt lake city. john is a mormon activist, a comedian, a renaissance man. john, you feeling heat because of your mormonism?
10:47 pm
is it something that only comes out in presidential election sessions when there's a mormon candidate? what's going on in your mind? >> you know, i honestly think it's a case where for so long, mormormons have tried so hard to get their message across that we're just like everybody else. the interesting thing about, you know, whatever religion it may be, it's such an intangible concept. you have people saying moses talked to a burning bush and noah built an arc and jesus walked on water but we're not going to buy what's mixed with so much half truths and lies. the nice thing about the age we live in is people have access to information and can distinguish the truth from the false hoods. we don't necessarily believe in some things, but one thing we can agree on is that mormons are
10:48 pm
very committed to being good humahuman beings, good members f the community and uphold the standards of jesus christ. >> geraldo: john, sorry. we're having a little disruption here. don't worry about that. but john, can huntsman succeed? can romney succeed? is that one of the reasons that romney has not made the deal? >> you know, i think it's a case where we live in the day and age where barring somebody participating in some type of a satanic ritual, americans are in a position where i don't think they're going to care whether their president celebrates with the kastanza family. they want a guy in the driver's seat that knows how to create jobs and make sure people can sustain a roof over their head. that's ultimately what the american people care about. we're at an amazing time where we have an african-american
10:49 pm
president, a g.o.p. candidate who is african-american and two mormons. people don't care about that. what they care about is knowing that the person who is in the white house is going to be the guy that can keep them working g and a roof over their heads. >> i hope you're right, john, but i tell you. i smell the stink of anti-mormonnism or racism or whatever you call it. i think that's one of the reasons mitt romney has not sealed the deal. john, thank you very much. i've got to take a break. much more from zuccotti park after this.
10:50 pm
10:51 pm
10:52 pm
some of them are hey, we just want health care. some of them are revolution, and they're serious. the really dangerous groups that
10:53 pm
are inside, they're well organized and they're organized all over the globe. >> geraldo: let me check the remote with the professor at harvard university. he is formerly an executive with goldman sachs, so professor, which side are you on in terms of these protesters? >> i mean, i'm not on either side. i think the problems that they're prophettin protesting ae legitimate. eroding middle class wage and equality, and when you have unemployment this high and problems are allowed to fester, you'll have protests. i think it's a wake up call for leaders of the country. we've got to work t together and be unified. >> geraldo: professor kaplan, the wake up call, i'll buy that. people are paying attention now that the movement is gaining some momentum. where does it end? what can they hope to
10:54 pm
accomplish? >> i think they can accomplish a fair amount as long as was mentioned by your panel, they conduct themselves as they have been in an appropriate way, but i think people in washington on both sides of the aisle need to -- we have an opportunity this fall to work together. there's the super committee. they need to look at the budget. they need to look at the growth package obama proposed, and i think they've got to come together to do something. if there's no action or no constructive action, i think you'll see these protests grow. >> geraldo: but what can the action -- what form can it take be specific. do you mean a return to the clinton era tax cuts, a millionaire's tax, a holiday on college student loans, what? >> look at the simpson boals framework. it will take all those things, entitlement reform, some pro
10:55 pm
growth initiatives. i think this group in congress is going to have to come back to it. >> geraldo: professor kaplan, i only point out that president obama himself rejected that framework. professor, thank you for your patience. craig, you've got a guest? >> i'm with one of the occupy wall street organizers, so where do we go from here? >> well, this movement is building and building momentum each day. yesterday 1500 cities around the world, over 100 occupations in the u.s. we marched into times square 20,000 strong. i think it's only going to get bigger from here. >> i want to make an open call for everyone across the world to come down here and help us organize ourselves in something called the general assembly. we don't know who to trust here. we don't know to trust any political parties so we're trusting ourselves. we have a human microphone where we discuss the issues every night and what we're going to do
10:56 pm
and what we stand for. there are parallel paths here. >> i think we need to occupy the polls in the sense that the people here are making it easier for politicans to finally be bold and step up and have courage and implement financial regulatory reform, campaign financial reform. that's why the movements are important. they're happening on college campuses now. we're now able to have a conversation about issues like where our graduates are going, which industries, and how we're preparing them to serve and be more prepared for the work force. >> geraldo: sally? >> this is just beginning. yesterday there were 1500 occupations organized around the world, 89 countries, 100 cities. you come to an event like this or anywhere, these are students but these are also grandmothers, these are parents, these are union members, these are police officers. i've seen military members, bankers here. it's going to get bigger. >> i think for unions we've been doing this fro for a long time.
10:57 pm
we're glad to see people coming on board. it's a fight for democracy. we realize democracy is not a spectator sport. >> geraldo: i've got to say goodnight, but before i go, i've got to show you this. look at this. talk about dirty pool. how low can you go? all right. that's it from zuccotti park. thanks very much for watching. we'll see you next time. goodnight. [ male announcer ] ntgomery and abigail haggins had a tree that borthe most rare and magical fruit, which provided for their every financial need. [ thunder rumbling ] [ thunder crashing ] and then, in one blinding blink of an eye, their tree had gen its last. butith their raymond james finanal advisor, they had prepared for even the unthinkable.
10:58 pm
♪ and they danced. see what a raymond james advisor can do for you. if something is simply the color of gold, and they danced. is it really worth more? we don't think so. chase sapphire preferred is a card of a different color. that's because you always get two times the points on travel,
10:59 pm
from taxis to trains, airfare to hotels, and all kinds of dining... from fast food to fine dining. and that's not all you get. there are expert advisors who answer immediately, whenever you call. and absolutely no foreign transaction fees. does your card do all that? apply today and earn 50,000 ultimate rewards bonus points when you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months. that's $625 toward your next trip when you redeem through ultimate rewards. so, why settle for gold when you can have so much more? chase sapphire preferred. a card of a different color. apply now at chasesapphire.com/preferred.

127 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on