Skip to main content

tv   Your World With Neil Cavuto  FOX News  June 14, 2013 1:00pm-2:01pm PDT

1:00 pm
i'm sure cavuto will bring it up. have a great day. and i'll see you back here tonight, 7:00 eastern, for the fox report. thank you. bye. ç >> neil: searching for clues or just clueless, how seriously is the administration take thisser is irtargetting when the head of the fbi doesn't even know who is doing theç investigating. today the leader of the group targeted responds. >> welcome. right about now i'm betting the fbi director marten mueller wishes he could take this exchange back. >> can you tell me how many investigators you assigned to the case. >> maybe be able to do that but i have to get back to you. >> can you tell me who the lead investigator is? >> off the top of my head no.ç >> the most important issue in front hoff the country you don't know who the leadgto> is? >> no, i do not know.
1:01 pm
>> the head of the fbi is in the dark on the irs probe. then just how serious is the white house taking this irs probe. becky's jaw dropped when she heard this. she is with be tea party and testified about how the irs was targeting her group. betsy you heard that you must have just said, here we go. >> i am completely dumb founded how the head of that agency not only didn't anticipate a question about the irs but actually sounded like he didn't know anything about it. >> neil: itç does make me think they talk about how serious they are. but if you're serious, something would be top of the mind, not the least of which might be the name of the top investigators so maybe they're not investigating. ever hear of that? >> according to our counsel from the american center for law and justice, none of the 25 groups they're representing have been contacted by the fbi. and this has been ongoing, five
1:02 pm
weeks now this has been one of the top news stories. so in my mind doesn't look like there's an investigation happening. >> neil: what happened in your case, becky? remind viewers. your group was targeted. tell us what you went through and what you were promised or maybe you weren't promised when it came to light. >> we applied for aç 501(c)(4) status in october of 2010. they cashed our check seven days later, told us we could wait 90 days before we heard something. it was 459 days before we heard anything from the irs, and that is when they sent a letter asking for 90 additional pieces of information that were unconstitutional and clearly out of the bounds -- >> neil: give me some examples. >> they wanted to now our donor names, the dates they gave, the amounts they gave, they wanted s to identify our volunteers and wanted to know if any volunteers or donors were ever going to run for office. if they were, what was the office. they wanted to know -- they
1:03 pm
wanted copies of every speech given, who the speakers were and their credentials. those are just some of the types of questions. >> neil: when they expanded it, what were your thoughts on the 100 year war. that's when you've dry the line. where did you draw the line? at what point did you say, this is stupid? >> well, when i got the letter and start reading through it and heard that many other tea parties were getting similar letters. some letters even canada -- asked about family members, clearly outside the scope of what they're allowed to ask. so we row takenned counsel from the american center for law and justice, and said we're not going to follow what they want us to do. >> neil: what happened? >> well, aclj took our case and threatened them with a lawsuit, and four months later we did receive our 501(c)(4) tax exempt status. >> neil: obviously a lot of groups never got the status. >> correct. they're still waiting. some of them three years.
1:04 pm
>> neil: a lot of them didn't feel comfortable taking it to the level you did, because when you're challenging the irs or federal agencies of any sort, you're putting a lot at risk out there. so a lot of them were too afraid to do that. >> right. and some of them did withdraw their application. >> neil: sure. >> but you know, neil, one of the things -- when they're threatening our constitutional rights of free speech and freedom to associate you can't back down. as an american citizen you have to stand up for your rights and that's what with did. >> neil: i would not mess with you. i'll tell you that. thank you very much remember when the attorney general, eric holder, testified he was going to get to the bottom of this scandal? >> assure you and the american people we will take a dispassionate view of this. with will notç be at perts orç ideological persuasions. anybody who has broken the law will be held accountable. >> that was in mid-may.
1:05 pm
the next case said if that's the case, why hasn't the fbi contacted a single tea party group, targeted by the irs. if this is so -- we have not gotten confirmation from the irs -- man, that's what you call a lie. >> yeah. and they can't say that this is deliberative, either. the fbi director yesterday in testimony with congressman jordan when he was getting the grilling-didn't know what was going on with the investigation. seems like the obama administration is constantly demonstrated they're ignorant of the progress of any of these investigations, or they can't comment on them because they're an ongoing investigation. and yesterday we found out they're not sure how much times they have contacted irs groups. so thatç led me to believe lets see if any of the irs groups have been contacted by the fbi. they have not. >> neil: what makes this a little bit more alarming is that this was an alarming development back almost a month ago, when
1:06 pm
the promises were first made that would be on top of this and deal with this. it sounds like the very lip service that was thrown at the very organizations they were targeted in the first place. >> right. what recourse do americans have if their government harasses them or intimidates them using the agency of the government, yet the government's investigative body doesn't seem to even be making progress. >> neil: you say doesn't seem to be. i'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt here because no one from the irs is talking to us or giving us a statement. i'm trying to think, what could be the reason for that? maybe you're still collecting data. maybe you're still trying to confirm what vince and others have been reporting and saying, this was widespread and going on and we're gotting our is and crossing our ts and then we'll make a phone call. what do you think of that? >> i think thatç any law enforcement exercise that you have ever covered, i've ever covered, almost -- the investigation always begins with a conversation with the victim. they need to establish what the harm was. and it seems like in this case
1:07 pm
the victims themselves, these tea party organizations -- i documented some 30 or so who haven't yet been contacted by the fbi. all the top tier organizations who testified before conditioning, and thousand of the groups have been contacted by fbi investigators. that is highly suspicious and doesn't show a deliberative body trying to get to the bottom of what happened. >> neil: this would be something that whether the irs might like to talk to fox or not, very simple, if it's this egregious and the accusation is that strong you can at least deny it. so it is scary that nothing at all. >> with all of these scandals it get anything done, our congress can investigate anyone more, or else, but he can and they can. because though he found time to meet with the wa this week, congress somehow managed to squeeze in a baseball week. same week. mike huckabee says, so.
1:08 pm
governor, yoeç think that's why the approval ratings for both are slipping and fast? >> i don't think it's just the baseball game. the old phrase comes to mean, near row -- nero fidsles while rome burns. this is the a president about to embark on hack african excellent adventure that the "washington post" estimates would cost between $160 million and they can go enjoy the scenery of africa. >> not a cheap place to go. >> no, especially when you have to chart in hundreds of agents because they're going dangerous plays. well, with sequestration we can't run control towers at the airports but we're going fly 56 vehicles to africa to accompany the president? i just would like to know, has the president dialed one thing down in his own world as he asked everybody else in america to dial things back because of the incredible burden we have
1:09 pm
from sequestration? i think that is part of what is driving this. >> neil: congress isn't helping its own cause here. i mean, obviously you can't multitask. we're all capable of that. but the seem much more intent on investigations, which might be fine. clearly warranted. but a lot of of other crucial issues, like how to deal with spending and the deficit, the debt, entitlements, that seems, including simplifying tax reform, put on a very distant back burner. >> in large measure the congress we have now essentially reacts to whatever a hot news item is. this is not a pro-active congress. not a pro-active government. and maybe, maybe we should be grateful. when they have been pro-active, i.e., obamacare, it's been disastrous. >> what do you think karl rove'ç argument is, if you're all scandal all the time, not that some investigations are clearly
1:10 pm
warranted, and followups are warranted -- that your -- you're going to be in trouble in the mid-term. >> you will because people want to know, can you govern? but that's the real question about president obama. can he govern? i think the answer is he hasn't shown a propensity toward it. he can certainly campaign but he has not been able to govern. congress is always at a disadvantage and the robe their numbers are so low, even though his are down, is because everyone likes his or her individual congressman but don't like congress as a whole, and their numbers are right up there with child molesters, and people whoç have drowned puppies. it's a good place to be. >> tv anchors have moved ahead of congress. >> thank goodness. >> neil: as a former governor yourself, and the way the president -- and then saying a lot of these -- let's say he was not directly involved, governor, and nothing that suggests he might have been. but his best excuse is going to
1:11 pm
be, you know issue was not aware, and there were a series of scandalss in which that i ths line. >> the threeç word that govern this administration is, i don't know. you see it from mueller, holder, hilary. carney, you get it from the president himself. every single person from the administration who trots touts answer a question or explain anything, lois lerner, steven miller, schulman, every one of them, i don't know. i don't know. i don't know. the comes a point at which you wonder, does anyone in this town know anything about what the heck is going on? and if they don't, then maybe we should get some people who could at least read the newspaper, because they'll get more information from there than they're getting from coverage i think it's part of the strategy to misdirect and to deflect. it's almost like the magician who is calling your attention over here because the real actionsen going on where this hand is. it's going on in the other. >> neil: so david copper feel
1:12 pm
never disappeared. >> no, he really did. he really did. >> neil: got you. the governor savings i agree to come on cavuto but i dope note what he gets out of it. here's what you get, fine promo, huckabee, 8:00 eastern time. >> no wonder it's going to take 15,000 irs agents to enforce the healthcare law. the uninsured are not sure they want it. now low-wageworkers cannot afford it and you have not heard the half of it. miralax or metamucil may take days to work. or faster relief, try dulcolax laxative tablets. dulcolax provides gentle relief overnight unlike miralax and metamucil that can take up to 3 days. for predictable relief try dulcolax.
1:13 pm
1:14 pm
1:15 pm
>> neil: maybe they should just call it the unaffordable healthcare act because the very folks say it's too damn high. so if low wage works cannot afford it and theyç don't even want it, what is to become of it? let's ask.
1:16 pm
wow, what happened? >> i call it the no-free-lunk -- lunch act, people are finding out it won't work for you. if you make more than $16,000 a year you cannot squall for medicaid. here's the other thing. if your employer wants they can bterñ you a policyzc allow -- that will make you pay 9.5% of your yearly income for a premium. if you make $20,000 a year, that's $2,000, almost $2,000, plus whatever the dedetective duct ables are. peopling cannot afford that. now why is this happening? because of all the things being covered here you. said many times on the show and i've said it. you cover preexisting conditions, cover people up to the age of 26, you cover all this preventive services, premiums go up. employers not going to want to pay the premiums. they're going to pass on as much as possible to the employee.
1:17 pm
they'll make you a parttime worker or offer you a policy you can't afford. next thing thatxv&%%y;lñçóç ha, i'll go to the state exchange, but you can't get the tax credit if you do that. if your employer offered you a policy you can't get the tax advantages on -- >> neil: don't you think the goal wastake mate so expensive that ultimately you'll fall into the government's plan, this will be the single pair payer system that the president wanted and the government will be calling it a shot. >> i don't know if it's single payer they have moo mind. >> i mean the u.s. government. >> i know. they have in mind this enormous entitlement that keeps getting spread without any idea of what you're getting. how much something costs, whether you really need it or not. i'm saying from the beginning, why all theseç patients that aren't sick going to the doctor's office and why does insurance have to cover that?
1:18 pm
i like high detickettable plans because it reminds them, maybe i'm not sick. maybe i don't have to go to the doctor today. that's why the costs are going up. >> neil: what i can't understand is the uninsured. the ones who we dropped and upended our entire healthcare system to make sure they're covered, so the 90% of americans who were okay with their coverage, we rocked the boat to cover the 10% who did not, and now this 10%, or by and large, is saying, no, pass. >> it tells you that the entire law was misconceived. as you were saying. it also tells you that it was misconceived for a very important reason. everybody agrees that everyone should have catastrophic insurance, if they have a hart attack, insurance there is to cover them. don't agree that insurance should cover every bell and whistle and people out there feel the same. they know there's no free lunch. if i'm covering everybody with
1:19 pm
diabetes it's they want to go to the doctor's 0 office the bill is sky high. the society of actuaries say 37% increase in healthcare costs under the affordable care act. all of that translates to government subsidies. >> neil: doctor, thank you very much. now even lawmakers who passed the law are worried about the costs as the doctor outlined. jimmy, what's going on here? >> hello, neil. senator grassley added an amendment that forces members of congress and personal staff members to be part of obama healthcare which means they lose their employee benefits they currently enjoy. >> the original idea what that congress shouldn't be exempted from obamacare. the people should have to eat their own cooking. >> the law says the members of congress should live under the law we wrote. iç completely agree with that. we should be in the exchanges. for the employees, the issue is different.
1:20 pm
>> now, a little different for employees because many mode level staffers make too much money to qualify for much in the way of subsidies on the exchanges, so they'd have to pay thousands more for insurance while those doing similar work elsewhere in the government would not. so, some staffers, as well as lawmakes,ç who are reported toe thinking about retirement, if they can, in hopes of keeping their current plan. >> many members of congress and their staffs will simply be unable to sustain their families and their needs and will go seek employment somewhere else. i believe this will happen. >> the staff members, people making 25, $30,000 a year in some cases shark not have to take a huge pay cut relative to other federal employees because of the way the law is written. >> but if the exchanges are that much harder on congressional staff, neil, and the subsidies are not large enough to offset the higher cost, how will they work any better for other americans? >> neil: great reporting, jimmy. thanks very much.
1:21 pm
doing battle withéo damascus, just about syria? getting in deeper over there to get the mind off maybe what is going on over here? i don't make any decisions about who to hire without going to angie's list first. you'll find reviews on home repair to healthcare written by people just like you. with angie's list, i know who to call, and i know the results will be fantastic. angie's list -- reviews you can trust. (announcer) scottrade knows our and invest their own way. with scottrade's smart text, i can quickly understand my charts, and spend more time trading. their quick trade bar lets my account follow me online so i can react in real-time. plus, my local scottrade office is there to help. because they know i don't trade like everybody. i trade like me. i'm with scottrade. (announcer) scottrade. voted "best investment services company."
1:22 pm
that's a good thing, but it doesn't cover everything. only about 80% of your part b medical expenses. the rest is up to you. so consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. like all standardized medicare supplement plans, they help save you up to thousands in out-of-pocket costs. call today to request a free decision guide. with these types of plans, you'll be able to visit any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients... plus, there are no networks, and you'll never need a referral to see a specialist. join the millions who have already enrolled in the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp... and provided by
1:23 pm
unitedhealthcare insurance company, which has over 30 years of experience behind it. with all the good years ahead, look for the experience and commitment to go the distance with you. call now to request your free decision guide. o0 c1 so you can make easy, no-fee reloads with cash and checks... ♪ ♪ and know you're not on your own. so you can get the reloadable card that keeps up with you. chase liquid. so you can.
1:24 pm
>> if the nation's top investigator can't name the investigator investigating the irs, to be on top of that investigation, isn't that music to the ears of conservatives now suing the irs? to our leaguele eagle we go. >> i'm a little confused by the intro,. >> neil: it'sç confusing. >> look, been briefed? absolutely. trying to hide something? we don't know. ongoing investigation he can stand behind that. >> for him to say he doesn't know the name of the top investigator? >> don't make any sense and i get -- if i unwrap what you just said.
1:25 pm
but will it happen -- >> neil: con condescending. >> it's friday afternoon. will it have any affect on the lawsuits? absolutely not. what effect does it have that the fbi, as bad as it is, the fbi director doesn't know what the irs is doing. has no effect on the merit of the lawsuit. >> neil: you can show intent after the fact to clean up the issue. right? if he doesn't know and then you just have this push to address this, administration is going be to all over this and not a single one of these groups was talked to after the fact? i think you have reasonable grounds for people to say, hey -- >> i think the lawyers can make a field day out of this because they can show bias. here the fbi is undergoing a criminal investigation, and always civil lawsuits use information generated from a criminal investigation to bolster their case. so, now you have the fbi in what appears to be a foot-dragging
1:26 pm
exercise or a lack of priority on the investigation, and i'm sure that's how the lawyers will take the implication, and what they'll do is say, any evidence that the fbi generates from this situation, or fails to generate, is showing a bias because the lawyers will stay on top of the fbi investigation timeline. and ifç it's not reasonable -- >> win they know -- >> they're going to use it and make hay. the fact was -- >> the difference between criminal and civil. once you get to the civil action you have the case law that says the government pretty much has immunity from civil cases and what people actually recover it's less than 1% of what they ask for. >> neil: it's very hard to sue the united states government, period. >> it is, but we're not talking about looking at the fbi director'sç failure to know anything about what is going on in his own house. as any kind of culpability on the part of the irs.
1:27 pm
we're looking at a ground and a circumstantial case on the part of the plaintiffs by saying, you know what? the fbi -- if we look at the timeline of this investigation at the end, and they're dragging their feet and not developing in the evidence, they should be developing, we're going to use that -- i know what lisa is going to say, but they -- you know, any good lawyer is going togt say, there's bias here. >> neil: you guys are brilliant lawyers, if you can indulge my stupidity you. 'll sigh what the irs did was wrong. >> absolutely. >> neil: theá©v:órç!2 not only did they abuse these folks they showed no intention8h
1:28 pm
them. >> all right, well, now here i thought it was enough that you dragged me for months to get this approval, for years in some cases. now when you have been exposed to the world for this, you're lying about everything you said to me about making this all things better. you have made this worse. >> it's been made worse because the body that is supposed to investigate the wrong-doing appears to be moving at a snail's pace.ç >> neil: they're not appearing. they are. >> qualify it --
1:29 pm
>> neil: and they lie about the snail's pace. they said they were going to hop on this.ç >> whatever comes out of the fbi investigation, if anything at all -- maybe nothing -- and then the lawyers -- but you have to put on a trial. and with the lawyers will put on and say, the fbi, anything that they generated or didn't generate is not credible. >> how manyç times hayes the fi or the u.s. attorney's office tell you what they're doing. zero. they don't. that's just part of it. >> neil: i think you're covering up. >> it's a mess. >> how many times do you hear that. >> neil: how she covers up. >> the nib doesn't -- fbi doesn't know who is leading its investigation? >> neil: you jump at the slightest provocation to sue anyone. right? >> a lawyer. >> neil: not here. >> no because when you're talking bet the fbi and you're talking about. >> neil: you're afraid. you're afraid. >> well, you should be very afraid. neil: oh, okay. all right.
1:30 pm
ladies, i kit. thankty very meche. it's getting weird. >> now we're giving arms to syria. ask yourself why now? hey. they're coming. yeah. british. later. sorry. ok...four words... scarecrow in the wind... a baboon... monkey? hot stew saturday!?
1:31 pm
ronny: hey jimmy, how happy are folks who save hundreds of dollars switching to geico? jimmy: happier than paul revere with a cell phone. ronny: why not? anncr: get happy. get geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more.
1:32 pm
1:33 pm
>> with all these scandals keeping growing and growing, the white house is now sendingç weapons over there. gearing up to arm syrian rebels after confirming that assad did in fact use chemical weapons. the republican strategist says
1:34 pm
that's just an attempt to take the focus off the scandals. simon disagrees, claims this is something that both parties have long been against. the chemical weapons that syria used against its people. so, sherry, you're seeing a political connection. >> this is something we know has been happening weapon found out a year ago in august that was right before the presidential election, president obama wasn't going to take anyç chances. so now here he is, mired in all of these scandals, and is trying to divert our attention so taking this measure now when it's something he could have done at any time, and i'm sure you're familiar with the business term, updating, and basically is when you want to know what a company is doing, look at what they have always done. it's the same with this president and he has done this repeatedly. we have seen him trying to save big bird so we wouldn't pay attention to benghazi. the timing is politically advantageous to him.
1:35 pm
that's why he made the decision. >> neil: simon, why now? the whole chemical weapons thing has been out there a while, and they've been dotting the is and crossing the tsñr0t what they already knew. why now? >> because things started getting worse in syria. just a few weeks ago, assad won back some territory that he had lost before. you have seen the russians and the iranians and hezbollah significantly increasing their presence on the ground. so the situation was getting much worse and there was a sense we needed to do more and that's the main reason why we're doing it and folks like john mccain who just within over syria and came back and saying now is the time, and i think the president listened to john mccain and others and make the decision. nothing to do with politics. >> neil: john mccain had requested action some time ago. but sherry comes back to raise the basic issue as to whether the turning of the tide on the part of the rebels now under considerable duress, fleeing, and assad now getting the upper
1:36 pm
hand, and gaining back territories that up to now the rebels have been strongholding for want of a better word, now was the time to do it, because he had been hoping -- the president -- that assad would fall under the whole weight of this. that does not appear to be the case. >> that wasn't the stated reason. that is not the reason they gave. they were saying because of the chemical weapons. so they have to make up their mind whether they want to have this excuse -- >> neil: do you support, as do many republicans, this is more than an humanitarian effort with 0,000 or so at a minimum killed in the last year, that now is the time, this is the wright thing, political timing not withstanding. >> you asked two different questions can the right time or right thing. but the timing is what we're talking about. i think -- >> neil: you argue better late than never, for whatever reason. >> yeah, but the -- the president knows that. here's the other thing. if this were june 2014, and the
1:37 pm
president's approval numbers are underwater you'd see democrats running from him on all these scandals and everything else. the reason he can do this now in june of 2013 is we're not in a mid-term. he knows he has to get his numbers up. all the democrats -- >> neil: there might be something to what you said -- >> they can suffer from it. >> neil: he raises a very good point. the administration said it was very serious about after these scandals were brought to life, the irs and we're going to be on this immediately, going to look at theñi groups. turns out none of the groups were talked to. turns out the fbi director either by ignorance of design, didn't know the name of the person investigating so you can't blame folks like sherry who say, you say one thing but you're meaning another. >> to be clear, the actions in syrias very up popular with the american people. he is not doing this to raise
1:38 pm
this approval rating. the is not something they'reç thumping their chest on. they're worry evidence this will hurt his standing with the american people and particularly with democrats. we're a war weary nation. i think afghanistan and iraq didn't go so well, and i don't think the country is rushing to get into another war. so he is doing this because it's the right thing to do. >> neil: i hope you're right. >> needs the distraction. >> neil: i hope the good -- >> distract people with something from what he is -- >> neil: survive. we had the dow surrendering 106 points. the average is still up about 13%. it's just lately that it's been hiccupping. we'll have more.q ♪ ♪ ♪
1:39 pm
♪ [ male announcer ] for dad's first job as dad. nissan tests hundreds of child seats to give you a better fit and a safer trip. snug kids, only from nissan. ♪ energy efficient appliances. you can get a tax write off for those. a programmable thermostat, very smart, saves money. ♪ cash money sorry. i see you have allstate claim free rewards, for every year you don't have a claim, you'll get money off your home insurance policy. put it towards... [ glass shatters ] [ girl ] dad! dad! [ girl screams ] noise canceling headphones? [ nicole ] that's a great idea. [ male announcer ] home insurance that saves you money for not having a claim? that's allstate home insurance with claim free rewards. talk to an allstate agent... [ doorbell rin ] and let the good life in. vo: ta friend under water is end usomething completely different. [ doorbell rin ] i met a turtle friend today so,
1:40 pm
you don't get that very often. it seemed like it was more than happy to have us in his home. so beautiful. avo: more travel. more options. more personal. whatever you're looking for expedia has more ways to help you find yours.
1:41 pm
1:42 pm
♪ >> neil: that was then. and this is now. when instead what we tried to do is get kids, i don't know, promises of cars or ipads or anything they can because in california, that is how they're trying to do it. at least under the auspices.
1:43 pm
tina says it's stupid. why not a fan? >> not a fan for a lot of reasons. one, we have already created such an into it. ment generation, and this -- entitlement generation and this goes a step further saying you're there warming a seat and you deserve some flashy reward like a car or ipad. this is the wrong message the accountability should be on the adults in the situation to use the motivation to get the students in those seats every day and there's a money trail here. i'm sure we'll get to that. >> neil: we don't know whether taxpayers will foot the bill. tamara, you don't draw a stinks. it's private donations here witg the idea being kids stay in class, go to school, less likely to be on the streets causing trouble. enmoney well spent whether private or public. >> well, the fact is this is private money, and. >> neil: what ifç it were publc money? >> that's obviously a differentç
1:44 pm
issue. gina makes an argument we're an entitlement society but that has to do with spending taxpayer money. in this situation we have no facts about that whatsoever, these are private companies -- >> neil: what does it say about our society now, then, that you have to pay kids off this way to get them to stay in school? >> i worked in the inner city before and seen that a lot of parents aren't involved in their children's education because they don't have an education of their open, they don't value it, whatever the reason. here a private individual is coming in and saying, look, there's actually a value in going to class, and you do get something you get rewarded, and job and can buy these things yourself. >> gina, do you have kids? >> if do. >> neil: do you every. >> i have five. >> neil: wow. do you ever offer them an incentive to do something?
1:45 pm
>> absolutely. >> neil: you ever pay them? obviously allows -- allowance but do you give in the financial incentive. >> the kids learn quickly you don't get a car for showing up in real life, and -- >> neil: i promised my kids a car to do something, i have no intention of keeping it. my goal is you're going to get a car. i'm lying but you're -- what i mean, half kidding to say that maybe the if the incentive is strong enough, the kid respond and you get something good that comes out of it. >> but this is not really about theç kids. the california unified school district has $32 price tag per day on our kids' heads, resulting in $156 million last year out of the pockets of, let's not forget their unionized teachers and administration. this is about cutting down on those absentee rates so they don't lose the money -- >> neil: you're assigning all
1:46 pm
sorts of horrible motivations to this. i don't know. but tamara, if this were not done, and these kids were out on the street and they weren't going to school, at least they would not be going to school for reasons that have nothing to do with being paid off. >> i don't consider it being paid off. gina says -- >> neil: get a car, an ipad. >> that's being rewarded for certain behavior for good behavior. there was a study that just came out in november of last year that said that california graduation rate was at the bottom of the country, and now we -- >> neil: someone gives you something to do something. >> weç just learn last month their graduation rate is up 66%. so, whatever it is -- >> neil: they've been paid off. >> but they have not been paid off. they've been incentivized. >> neil: you can call it what you want. they've gotten something, an incentive to do that. right? >> sure, an incentive but you have to perform your workç in
1:47 pm
order to -- >> neil: in case you just have to show up. >> no, no, no. >> exactly right. >> it's attendance and also your grades. not just going to school and then you get a free car. it's a little bit more -- >> might be different in different places but the articles i have been reading, we're talking about attendance, so this is what you have. you might have a straight-a student on the one side who is not getting a free car or ipad with the student who do doesn't have good grades but happened to warm a seat every single day to me that the wrong-m'ha:y> if you have proof some kid is just sitting there to get a free car? >> neil: when i was a kid, and if my father told me to do something, i just did it because i would be a human satellite if i did it. that was then, this is now. although the ice cream cone did help. >> i have taught school. taught at the university level, and i always maintain i will not have an attendance policy.
1:48 pm
i want my students to show up because i have something worthwhile to offer them and they know if they miss a class, they're missing a great value and benefit to their future. >> neil: that was sort of like my dad. you're going to be a punch bag if you don't. ladies, thank you both very much. all of these leaks, wait until you hear how our claps only clapped us.
1:49 pm
test. test.
1:50 pm
1:51 pm
okay. phone log, check. e-mail records, check. bank statements, check. number of bad guys collected as
1:52 pm
a result of all of these items collected? still checking. isn't this a kick? eric, not only have they not caught them, this stuff leaks out, terrorists find ways around it. incredible. what do you make of it? >> neil, it is tough all around. it is a tough issue. on the one hand, we're told by democrats and republicans that the nsa program is almost infallible, we can't live without it. yet just two months ago, neil, islamic terrorists in boston slipped through the cracks, killed three, wounded 264 more. two weeks ago in london, same deal. someone was beheaded in the street. this program obviously didn't work in that regard. on the flip side, you have the possibility now that it has been exposed of al qaeda and other islamic terror groups, neil, going dark, going off the grid, so to speak.
1:53 pm
the problem with that is that we are so reliant on programs like we have at the nsa on satellite surveillance that our human intelligence inside these terror groups is not that great, so it is a double edged sword. i am as hawkish as they come on the war on terror and i'm a bit torn on it. >> by your definition, eric, the government can't win for love or money. they have this and all of a sudden they take away, they're a doom beat away. what do we do to correct it. if the bad guys find the way around the other mouse traps, where are they going? >> here is the deal, i think before the nsa program was exposed, bad guys, al qaeda, et cetera had a pretty good idea their calls were monitored and surveilled. i don't know if it is a massive game changer in that regard. what can we do, look, number one, stop the leaks. number two, i have to say, as i said i am a terror warrior here,
1:54 pm
i have to say this administrati administration, neil, with this kind of power, frankly makes me uncomfortable because of the track record, irs, doj, et cetera, and the concern i have, i will be frank, is that they not only use it to monitor islamic terrorists which i applaud, but political opponents. that's not conspiratorial based on what we have seen the past few weeks, that's a real concern with the administration. >> we shall watch. thank you very much. somewhere we will be talking about these scandals all summer long. me, i am worried you won't be. dad. how did you get here?
1:55 pm
i don't know. [ speaking in russian ] look, look, look... you probably want to get away as much as we do. with priceline express deals, you can get a fabulous hotel without bidding. think of the rubles you'll save. with one touch, fun in the sun. i like fun. well, that went exactly i as planned.. really?
1:56 pm
1:57 pm
1:58 pm
come to light for a reason, obviously because something bad has happened, but also to see what we're going to do about it, about them, all of them. i think those who perpetrate scandals hope not much, that we'll get hot and bothered for awhile, but it will only last awhile. but i hope they're wrong. taking the politics out of all of this, focus on the creepiness of all of this, not a single scandal, but what's now scandalous, leave the agency involved out of it. focus on the fact it is the united states government doing it, collecting phone records, e-mail records, tax records, health records and on and on we go. maybe you're just shrugging your shoulders, saying i am nuts. you wouldn't be the first. argue they're doing all of this
1:59 pm
to protect us. even say this is the price of technology enjoyed by all of us. look in the mirror say you don't mind one bit all of those other faces looking back. that's really what this is about now. how much intrusion we can take now or whether we'll forget this nonsense. that's what the government hopes i suspect, that the annoying pee on citizens will get peeved but move on to their barbeques and baseball games and everyday distractions, for getting all the while the government overreach that threatens that life. they're assuming we're going to forget and that's where all of this is going. let's show them if they think our memories are that short, they've got another thing coming. before there was nsa leaker ed snowden, there was mark klein. i bet you don't remember him, know what happened to him. seven years ago when he blew a
2:00 pm
whistle and everything fell apart. he doesn't talk to many people, but he is talking to us tonight on fox business and only fox business. you don't get it, the country depends on it. happy father's day. hello, everyone, i am kimberly guilfoyle, with bob beckel, andrea tantaros, greg gutfeld. this is "the five." happy father's day weekend, everybody. we're going to kickoff the show with a facebook free for all of the political edition, answering some of your questions submitted on our facebook page. facebook.com/thefivefnc. there's an nsa leak, snowden, irs targeting, benghazi, department of justice reporter probe and much more. huge

68 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on