Skip to main content

tv   Studio B With Shepard Smith  FOX News  June 24, 2013 12:00pm-1:01pm PDT

12:00 pm
>> thanks for watching. here shepard. >> the news begins anew. curse words and a knock-knock joke in the george zimmerman trial in florida. we'll show you inside the courtroom that got off to an unusual start. >> a new twist in the nsa leaker's run from u.s. authorities. his night to cuba took off without him. how this could complicate the tense relationship with russia. >> another big hit on paula deen's empire. multimillion dollar. another company just dropped the celebrity chef after she aid mitted she has used the n-word in the part. it's all ahead unless breaking
12:01 pm
news changes everythingphone "studio b." >> but first from fox at 3:00 in new york city, jaws dropped among the jury as the murder trial of zimmermansome got off to a stunning start in sanford, florida. that's the wore from observers. they heard several f-poms and then a knock-knock job from the defense. of course, george zimmerman is the self-proclaimed neighborhood watchman charged withmurderring the unarmed teenager. zimmerman says he shot in self-defense. today prosecutors told the all-women jury that zimmerman profiled the teen as someone about to commit a crime. the prosecution opened with words we rarely hear in open court. >> good morning. [bleep] punk. [bleep] they always get away. those were the words in that green -- grown man's mouth as he followed in the dark a
12:02 pm
17-year-old boy who he didn't know. and excuse my language but those were his words-not mine. [bleep] punk. these [bleep] they always get away. >> shepard: the defense countered that. the jurors would learn the context of the words and it was a teenager who started the fight that turned deadly but the way the defense began its statement left folks in the courtroom stone-faced. a joke that fell flat. >> knock, knock. who is there? george zimmerman. george zimmerman who? all right. good you're on the jury. nothing? that's funny. >> shepard: actually really wasn't according to those in the courtroom. he told the jurors later to blame him for that, not his client, george zimmerman. and he later apologized for it.
12:03 pm
among those sitting silently in the courtroom, the parents of the dead teenager, trayvon martin, who repeadly wiped tears from their faces. so it's all begun in florida. for trayvon's matter, it really got worse. reporter: you're right, shep. she abruptly left the courtroom shortly thereafter as the 9-1-1 tape, where you can hear screams for help in the ground the fatal gunshot that think life of their 17-year-old son was played for the injury. -- for the jury. the parents of george zimmerman, his mother, father, and his wife, all basically out of hiding from the past year to support zimmerman during the trial, all had to leave the courtroom prior to opening statement. the judge is not allowing them inside the courtroom to watch this trial as they are listed as witnesses and may eventually take the stand. the defendant facing 25 years to life if convicted, sat stone-faced, looking straight ahead as the prosecutor called him a lying gun wielding profiler. before we began this morning,
12:04 pm
trayvon martin's parents and her attorney compressed great confidence the verdict will be guilty. >> i will be attending this court and to try to get justice for my son. i ask you pray for me and my family because i don't want any other mother to have to experience what i'm going through now. >> number one, george zimmerman was a grown man with a gun. and number two, trayvon martin was a minor who had no blood on his hands. reporter: just 20 minutes ago more unexpected f-bombs inside the courtroom as a friend of george zimmerman took the stand and accused tracy martin, the father of trayvon, of muttering
12:05 pm
under his breath the full version of the term m-fer. the judge did not rule. the reason why trayvon's parents are allowed in the courtroom, even though they're listed as witnesses, is because they are the family members of the victim, and as for the jury, they seem to be paying very close attention, half of them wearing business suits and taking quite a few notes. >> shepard: over the weekend the judge ruled on a matter over which we had a lot of discussion, the matter of the 9-1-1 recording with somebody's voice screaming. reporter: yeah. critical ruling, widely perceived as major victory for the testifies. the judge ruling that the state's audio experts who connect it was trayvon martin screaming for help, used scientific methods not widely will not bethe scientific testifying. however, jurors will hear witnesses like family members testify as 0 to who the think
12:06 pm
the screams are from. and the judge will allow hear sai evidence, including right after the -- zimmerman said he yelled for help and no one help him. prosecutor filed two discovery for textbooks from this criminal law studies and his e-mail. prosecutors will suggest to the jury that zimmerman was aware of the stand your ground law in florida and now how to frame what he told the police in order not to be charged. in on the stand now is the very first witness. this is chad joseph, and he is a -- i'm are sorry -- who is th- girlfriend's son of tracy martin. the young man who trayvon martin has been spending all of that sunday with back in february 20612 prior to trayvon walking by himself to go to the 7-eleven
12:07 pm
>> shepard: alerts get cop text from from -- context from the lawyers. arthur, a former prosecutor, and heather is with us as well. let's start with the prosecution. they went first. 40 minutes or so, and, man, came out guns blazing. >> that is a style thing and that is totally my style. if you look, when gentlemen just played the clip of the opening thing, there were people with their heads done when he started and they pop right up. you want to get a jury, grab them, pull them in, and you just want them to pay attention. the average attention span of a human is 12 minutes. so even up there 35 minutes you're pushing the envelope you. want them to feel your argument and your passion, half of them were wearing business suits and -- obviously these are women so not the typical suits-that's great. that means these are jurors
12:08 pm
taking the process seriously, and when you're a prosecutor, that's music to your ears or eyes. >> heather, the defense -- >> to the knock-no-joke was not well received and after the lurch break they rethought and apologized for the knock-knock joke. what do you do to start with the emotion on the defense side? you can't bring up his past, what type of person he is so you want to make that connection. not the best way to do it. >> a lot of information the defense has to get out there. >> on the prosecution side there's not a lot of evidence, especially since they lost the rule over the weekend can't get the tape in. so they are limited in what they can put forward -- >> the tape getness but the analysis thereof does not. >> a good ruling. this is kind of junk science, shepard. this isn't something like dna or fingerprints. this is junk science. in my opinion, the defense
12:09 pm
attorney was trying to be folksy with the jurors, hey, folks, how you doing? as opposed to going out there and saying, yes, he said those words, when his head was being bounced against the see men over and over and over again. he felt the head reaching toward his folks and he had no choice but to act. otherwise, we'd be talking about george zimmerman as the dead man and trayvon martin would be the defendant. you have to keep that in mind. >> you have to be careful when you do that. especially in a case like this where you have a jury you're not sure of yet. you may see that litter on in the trial. you may see that depending on the testimony and closing, put in opening i think it's smart to lay out your case, but to do it in such a dry and long way may have been a mistake. >> shepard: it's over. the testimony is now beginning and we'll have updates. stocks are recovering. on down round 50 but we were down 250 almost.
12:10 pm
investors are concerned about sign office trouble for china's economy, and the u.s. government, which indicated it may cut back on stimulus fund agent some point. that announcement last week programmed the biggest drop of the year. elizabeth explain the signs of trouble in china and why we care. >> even the volatility you see today shows you how nervous markets are. what we're looking at in china, some people are describing as a pyramid collapsing in on itself. it's a giant credit bubble. some say it's unprecedented. it's like the lehman collapse here. china's government is heavily controlled their economy so some think it is a closed implosion and will be able to deflate this bubble on their own. that would be a neat trick. but china is going to be growing more slowly. we have all become very dependent on their growth to fuel ours through the downturn, so bat news for the rest of the world. >> shepard: investors still worried about what bebernanke
12:11 pm
said last week. he didn't say we're about to stop all this printing. but he said we might at some point. >> he said we might. if we continue to grow at this rate, we may slow down our buying by the end of this year. not, we're going to stop entirely. not -- that was enough to really see a selloff in ten-year treasuries, making the yield spike higher. interest rates go up. a big spike in the ten-year treasury as well and shows you just how difficult this dismount will be for the fed. investors are nervous. they want to beat the fed to the door so as they sit there and stop buying or even sell bonds and treasuries and everything else, the sellers want to be out before that. so that rush to the exit that is causing all the volatility that we're seeing right now. >> -- folks on fixed income when the interest rate goes up. >> a great point. >> shepard: thank as lot. the now infamous nsa leakerred
12:12 pm
snowden is on the run, and the turns he keeps taking. miss whereabouts are a mystery. why is -- isn't anybody cooperating with the united states and where might ed snowden turn up next? that's ahead. dad. how did you get here?
12:13 pm
i don't know. [ speaking in russian ] look, look, look... you probably want to get away as much as we do.
12:14 pm
with priceline express deals, you can get a fabulous hotel without bidding. think of the rubles you'll save. with one touch, fun in the sun. i like fun. well, that went exactly i as planned.. really? to prove to you that aleve is the better choice for him, he's agreed to give it up. that's today? [ male announcer ] we'll be with him all day as he goes back to taking tylenol. i was okay, but after lunch my knee started to hurt again. and now i've got to take more pills. ♪ yup. another pill stop. can i get my aleve back yet? ♪ for my pain, i want my aleve. ♪ [ male announcer ] look for the easy-open red arthritis cap.
12:15 pm
>> shepard: quarter past the hour. the global cat and mouse game to catch ed snowden has taken some major surf. weeks after he lift his home, his job, this girlfriend in hawai'i for hong kong, officials there let him escape to moscow. russia doesn't have an extradition agreement with the united states. officials in moscow are reviewing a request by the united states to expel ed snowden before he leaves the country so where he goes next is a question, and the founder of wikileaks that julian assange said he applied for asigh him in ecuador and other
12:16 pm
countries. yesterday russian state media said he expected to catch a flight on aeroflot and take a flight to cuba. but that night took off and he was nowhere to be seen onboard, and airline officials say snowden booked this seat,17-a. was empty. if ecuador does take him in, it would a about blow to the united states. ecuador is giving asylum tole assange but its government passed a law cracking down on the freedom for the press. so julian assange said ed snowden is safe and the white house says its assumption is that the suspect is still in russia. its assumption. we have heard about the federal
12:17 pm
charges on friday. let's get to catherine her around for an update. we're learning more about who may be traveling with ed snowden. >> that's right. nsa leaker edward snowden is traveling with a british activist described as a former girlfriend of julian assange, and in that 90-minute conference call this morning with reporters, assange says they're good, feeling comfortable, and their situation is under control without offering specifics on their location or security. >> healthy and safe, and they are in contact with the legal team. reporter: assange is living at london's he can war -- ecuadorian embase. and he has an asigh him docket so he can travel. >> i'm not familiar with the legal system and what travel
12:18 pm
documents they may have. reporter: this has allowed snowden to travel, given the fact that the u.s. pulled his passport, at least a couple days ago. >> the new report that ed snowden deliberately targeted his bosses at the contractor. >> the director of national intelligence james clapper confirm that i go believe edward snowden has more documents and plans more leaks. a former intelligence official saying it's believed the records snowden took are volumous and extend well beyond the classified material held by the nsa. now snowden's former employer would comment on the report that claims the 30-year-old specifically targeted that systems administrator job to steal classified information. today we asked julian assange on that conference call whether snowden had been debriefed by the russians and chinese and he says he has not talked to either
12:19 pm
of them, offering them any intelligence. >> with us now gordonen chang, author of the book, the coming collapse of china. the accusation near this chinese newspaper is that he didn't go to this contractor job at boost allen and then realize what's going on, i have to expose. i he wanted to expose it so he got a job where he could. >> i wouldn't be surprised. a lot of people have beening saying that snowden is either chinese intelligence or working alongside chinese intelligence, and so that would be a perfect job to do what he did, and he had contact with other nsa employees who had been turned by the chinese, who gave their information to snowden, who took it to hong kong. so, this fits in with everything that we have been hearing for the last couple of weeks. >> shepard: now this chase. it's quite extraordinary he has been able to get all this done. >> he has had a lot of help. the chinese not only allowed snowden to leave, they encouraged him to do so. we learned in the last day that
12:20 pm
his lawyer in hong kong, a very famous legislator, had been contacted by intermediaries working on behalf of beijing, and those enter middleaires told albert ho to hell his client,ed wad snowden, snowden should leave hong kong so this is beijing stage-managing this. >> i wonder what his ultimate destination is? >> i don't think it's ecuador. he talked about wanting to go to ice lean. that makes sense but he is on the run to ecuador right few ball the new icelandic government is friendly to the u.s. and might not actually grant asylum. assange knows that. assange has been talking to the new iceland government, and the whack they decided, at least as a stop gap measure they would try to get to ecuador. >> shepard: after two years and 50 hearings, finally there's a verdict in the underage
12:21 pm
prostitution case against the former italian prime ministerber less scone --ber his scone any. ed did not good well for him. that's next. it starts with something little, like taking a first step.
12:22 pm
and then another. and another. and if you do it. and your friends do it. and their friends do it... soon we'll be walking our way to awareness, support and an end to alzheimer's disease.
12:23 pm
and that? that would be big. grab yo friends and family and start a team today. register at alz.org
12:24 pm
for a store near you go to benjaminmoore.com/bayarea. >> shepard: italy's former prime minister is now guilty of paying for sex with a minor at one 0 his infamous bunga bunga sex parties. that's the ruling today from a court in milan who sentenced him to seven years in prison and banned hem from public office for life. properties say he paid for sex with a former nightclub dancer when she was but 17 years old and used his influence to cover up what he had done. both she and berlusconi deny
12:25 pm
they had sex shep has said she went to several of the bunga bunga parties in the former leader's mansion in 2010. that there were strippers, dressed as sexy nuns and nurses. strippers dressed as sexy knupps at the prime minister's party. wow. and that berlusconi paid her nearly $4,000 after each night. the 76-year-old is no longer premiere but he is still quite inflew enshall in italian politics and he will certainly appeal. any reaction from berlusconi camp. >> none from berlusconi himself. in fact the former prime minister didn't even show up in court today to hear the verdict in this trial, but his lawyer did speck -- speak out, saying this is what they always expected, that the trial should never have taken place in milan in the first place because the prosecutors and judges there have a bias against berlusconi. listen.
12:26 pm
>> translator: it's a sentence completely out of reality. an unrelated to the evidence that emerged during the trial. i'm completely serene because for three years i repeated the fact this trial could not be held here. what happened today proves an extremely serious fact. which is that the court did not take into account the evidence they were provided with. >> the attorney said there absolutely will be an appeal and in fact there are two possible ways for them to appeal this. so, it's likely to drag on for many more months or even years. >> shepard: been going on for years already. and it was interesting in the early going to see that the italian sort of response to all of it was, ya. >> they've been commit -- been split. there are those who believe that berlusconi brought indignity and ill repute on the office, and other sides thought it was boys being boy. so the true italian style
12:27 pm
outside the court. [speaking in foreign language] >> that's they way they argue in italy. the majority of those who bothered to turn up outside the court believed, it seems, that berlusconi did indeed deserve a jail term. listen. >> translator: i am very happy with the way things went. seven years is very little. i think the verdict makes sense because they had all the evidence to support it. >> no word on whether that gentleman is being prosecuted for crimes. if i was a betting man i would bet that silvio berlusconi might not ever see a day inside a jail. >> shepard: multiple appeal opportunities here. >> appeal after appeal after appeal. he is more likely to be prime minister again. >> shepard: jonathan, thank you. >> some news just coming in. the new irs chief, they brought in that guy named danny worlul,
12:28 pm
said inappropriate screening was broader and lasted longer than disclosed. the head of the internal revenue service says the inappropriate screening of groups seeking tax exempt status was broader and lasted longer than previously disclosed and he went on to say he delivered a preliminary 60 page report at who in irs improperly targeted organizations and how the irs is being held accountable and what is being doing to preevent future abuse. this was delivered in a very carefully staged news conference, no cameras. while fact finding is underway we have not found evidence of intentional wrongdoing by anyone in the irs or involvement in these matters by anyone outside ther is. furthermore there's no current evidence of the use of inappropriate screeners or other types of criteria in other irs operations. so here's a translation for you. irs employees in the cincinnati
12:29 pm
office at grant tax exempt status to groups acted alone, did not mean to violate the rights of conservative groups by denying or holding up tax exempt status, and the white house was not involved. with investigations unresolved, reforms have already begun. aimed at ensuring all groups will hence forthbe treated equitably. so the ruling is out 0, or the report is out. 60 pages. we'll have continuing analysis today and much more tonight. >> president obama just commented on the government's efforts to get its hands on the guy, ed snowden, as officials urge russia to let him go. and'll ask judge andrew napolitano where he thinks ed snow den is a hero now that the leaker has revealed even nor about the feds' surveillance tactics to some unfriendly nations.
12:30 pm
>> we'll get to this knew develop "be approach the bottom of the hour and the top of the news on "studio b."
12:31 pm
>> announcer: you never know when, but thieves can steal your identity and turn your life upside down. >> hi. >> hi. you know, i can save you 15% today if you open up a charge card account with us. >> you just read my mind. >> announcer: just one little piece of information and they can open bogus accounts, stealing your credit, your money and ruining your reputation.
12:32 pm
that's why you need lifelock to relentlessly protect what matters most... [beeping...] helping stop crooks before your identity is attacked. and now you can have the most comprehensive identity theft protection available today... lifelock ultimate. so for protection you just can't get anywhere else, get lifelock ultimate. >> i didn't know how serious identity theft was until i lost my credit and eventually i lost my home. >> announcer: credit monitoring is not enough, because it tells you after the fact, sometimes as much as 30 days later. with lifelock, as soon as our network spots a threat to your identity, you'll get a proactive risk alert, protecting you before you become a victim. >> identity theft was a huge, huge problem for me and it's gone away because of lifelock. >> announcer: while no one can stop all identity theft, if criminals do steal your information, lifelock will help fix it, with our $1 million service guarantee. don't wait until you become the next victim. you have so much to protect
12:33 pm
and nothing to lose when you call lifelock now to get two full months of identity theft protection risk free. that's right, 60 days risk-free. use promo code: gethelp. if you're not completely satisfied, notify lifelock and you won't pay a cent. order now and also get this shredder to keep your documents out of the wrong hands-- a $29 dollar value, free. get protected now. call the number on your screen or go to lifelock.com to try lifelock protection risk free for a full 60 days. use promo code: gethelp. plus get this document shredder free-- but only if you act right now. call the number on your screen now! snowed -- >> shepard: president obama weighed in on the investigation for edward snowden. >> we're following all the appropriate legal channels and working with various other countries to make sure that rule
12:34 pm
of law is observed. >> shepard: that was strong. white house is saying other u.s. officials are urging russia to give him over. >> given our intensified cooperation with russia after the boston marathon bombings, and our history of working with russia on law enforcement matters, including returning numerous high-level criminals back to russia at the request of the russian government, that we do expect the russian government to look at all the options available to them to expel mr. snowden back to the united states. >> but russia has no extradition agreement with the united states and the two nations are already locked in a tense standoff over their roles in the syrian civil war and nuclear weapons and many other things. president obama sat down with the russian counterpart putin foot last week but it was a tense and frankly awkward meeting by all accounts. wendell is at the white house. the white house says the assumption is that he is still in russia. so there's just assuming. reporter: snowden booked a seat
12:35 pm
on a flight from moscow to havana and so did a lot of reporters but they say snowden never got on the plane so the assumption he is still in moscow. the u.s. is calling in favors fs and twisting arms to get the russias to send him back. yay carney says the assumption is whatever information that snowden had on four computers he reportedly took with him, has been compromised, meaning that information is available to the russians and the chinese and includes more than what snowden has released so far. carney says the u.s. revoked snowden's passport in plenty of time to keep hem from flying from hong kong to moscow, and carney blames china's government for letting that happen. >> we're just not buying this was a technical decision by hong kong immigration official. this is a deliberate choice by the government to release a fugitive, despite a valid arrest warrant, and that decision unquestionably has a negative impact on the u.s.-china
12:36 pm
relationship. >> the implication is that the u.s. issue rescues will suffer. >> shepard: critics from the g.o.p. say the white house has not handled this well. >> the president says the u.s. has been in contact withthe counterparts in russia and china and with other countries that snowden might conceivably want to flee to they won't say if the president has reached out personally to talk to other leaders, but the head of the homeland security commission says the obama administration really hasn't put enough pressure on the russians and the chinese to turn snowden over. >> it is deeply troubling. they're hiding behind a technicality. >> was that strong enough? >> i think we can be a lot stronger. this guy is with the enemy and the enemy camp, and we're letting him go. >> says one question we need to ask whether we need to give so many defense contractors security clearance, and another question is, whether we need to
12:37 pm
do a better job of screening the ones we do give the clearance to shepard? >> shepard: wendell, thank you. earlier this month, fox news senior judicial analyst andrew napolitano said ed snowden is a hero because he exposed details. >> i would describe this man as a hero willing to risk life and liberty in order to expose to the american people one of most extraordinary violations of the american principles in our history. >> shepard: since then ed snowden released other information. so does the judge still think of edward snowden an american hero out in that he seems me working with countries olympic, russia, ecuador. >> i'm smiling because obviously heroes can be flawed. the only hero that wasn't flawed
12:38 pm
was killed on good friday. he act of exposing the american government's spying on almost every american was an act of heroism. what he has done since then smooth not be what i would have done but that particular act was lawful because of his oath to up hold the constitution, and i'm glad he did it because the american public is entitled to know when the popularly elected government is doing the opposite of what it has sworn to do uphold the constitution and preserve our freedom. >> shepard: there are suggestions ed snowden took the job as a contractor so he could fine out this information and then leak it. others have suggested, that hi might will be working with the chinese against the americans. >> no one knows where this is going to end up. espionage is a very problematic charge for the government to bring. i'm surprised they brought it. >> shepard: political. >> but the espionage act of 1917 was a temporary world war i statute that was supposed to
12:39 pm
last only during world war i. here we are nearly 100 years later and it prohibits speech that encouraging the enemy or discourages americans from resisting the enemy. it was arguably invalidated by the supreme court in the pentagon papers opinion and also baghdad' prove epees analogy because in order to prove how howe your pieing sprat was harmed you have to demonstration to a jury what your spying apparatus is and the government may reveal even more secrets than are in snowden did, and we would then say, where is the harm if the government is willing to spill the beans to get this guy? on the other hand it is clear, because he admitted this, he did give classified information to people who were unauthorized to receive it. was he morely justified in doing so? a jury will probably decide that. i would think a jury in the united states would treat him better than a jury anywhere else. >> shepard: that would be my guess. judge, thank you. >> you're welcome. >> shepard: the celebrity chef paula deen has lost another part of her empire, an empire that
12:40 pm
made her $17 million a year ago. smithfield hams confirms it's dropping paula deen's line of pork products. that's after the food network announced it was dropping her cooking shows in response to her past use of the n-word and other things. that came out during a recent depression in a harassment suit. she admitted she had used a racial slur but not for, quote, very long time. she also said the once planned a civil war era wedding featuring all black male servers wearing all white suits. slavery style, she admitted. now paula deen is again trying to save her reputation and career and is set to appear on the today show on wednesday morning after she bailed out on friday. trace gallagher is update it. paully deep's apologies have not work at all. >> not at all. so far she has posted two different apologies online. the first one was very poorly
12:41 pm
put together, some rough edits, seemed to break in and out at different times. the one you're looking at right here. that one was quickly taken down and was replaced with yet another apology. listen to this. >> i am here to say i am so sorry. i was wrong, yes. i worked hard and i've made mistakes, but that is no excuse. reporter: and yet one hour after the apology went online, food network issued a statement saying that deen's contract will not be renewed when it ends next month. she has three shows on the network but still paula deen then issued a counterstatement thanking food net welcome for what she called 11 great years. >> shepard: she still has a lot of fans. they've made noise but no action. >> no, and for now her fans are very much supporting her, but smithfield dropped her and she also has product lines on qvc,
12:42 pm
in wal-mart, a book deal with valentine, restaurant's some caesar's palace casinos and now reports another racial allegation has been filed against her. we have not confirmed that. that could be very damaging, though her restaurants around the country are packed, and many of those customers are positive. listen. >> she made a mistake. >> we all say something that we say we're sorry for. in our lifetime. i don't think she should lose her show for that. reporter: we should note, rainbow push says now they believe that more allegations will be coming forward very soon against her. >> shepard: we'll watch for them. the headline in this more than's u.s. u.s.a. today noone. mall, paula deen is done. but there's no big campaign mounting by fans.
12:43 pm
could she save her big-money business in the face of what trace just reported? might we have a teaching moment here? we'll talk to a p.r. expert coming up. my name is mike and i quit smoking.
12:44 pm
chantix... it's a non-nicotine pill. i didn't want nicotine to give up nicotine. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix (varenicline) is proven to help people quit smoking. [ mike ] when i was taking the chantix, it reduced the urge to smoke. [ malennouncer ] some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these, stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these, stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. tell your doctor if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems, or if you develop new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if y have symptoms of a heart attack or stroke.
12:45 pm
use caution when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. it feels wonderful. i don't smoke. i don't smoke. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you.
12:46 pm
>> shepard: back to paula deen's p.r. problems. experts are saying the scene of southern cooking could be done. but paula deen's fans are out and many still supportive. some claim they'll never watch
12:47 pm
the food network again. so, can paula deen save her reputation, made her a household name and a millionaire dozens of times over, peter is a public religiouses consultant and is live. feels like it might be a tall order. >> it is, and, shep, pardon the pun. now you have the slow by from base to right of the stories and allegations coming out, that there's more to this than the reported epithet she spouted a decades ago. she'll always have a core fan base. food network had to make the decision they made. qvc and random house will watch the appears on "the today show" but she'll have a much reduced penetration in the market after this because of what she said and how they've handled is, frankly. >> shepard: seems like one of the things being brought up over
12:48 pm
and over again is that there seems to be an impression amongst some she doesn't have an appreciation for the depth and complexity of the civil rights struggle, doesn't have a full understanding of what african-american people think when they hear the n-word and then maybe how she means it, and that bridging that divide is something that should have happened a long time ago. >> yes. i think the defense has been, she lived in the simpler time and this is how she was brought up and doesn't espouse those views but i was ingrained in her upbringing and she didn't mean any harm, and the defense these are views that i grew up in times before. people are more sensitive about this. it doesn't wash. what they could have done is she could have made a much more forceful statement about where she wanted to donate some proceeds to, some of here cookbooks or some of the projects she works on to foster reconciliation, racial reconciliation and tolerance and something like that, that at least shows she is sensitive to
12:49 pm
it. i think that the -- i was born in a different time defense doesn't really wash. >> shepard: peter from washington, as always, thank you. >> thank you, shep. >> shepard: families at one of the nation's best known air shows witness a fiery and deadly crash. while a brave stuntwoman sat upside-down on the wing of a plane. up next we talk live with another wing-walker who knew both that daredevil and the pilot who died.
12:50 pm
12:51 pm
12:52 pm
>> shepard: a daredevil wing walker and the pilot of the plane died in a fiery crash over the weekend in front of thousands of spectators, happened on saturday at an air show in ohio. the stunwoman, jane wicker, on the wing, and that's when the
12:53 pm
thing went down, right before it went down. the faa and other agencies are now investigating this incident. the results are not expected for self months but the faa reports both victims had a clean safety record. according to wicker's web site, she was planning to mary her husband in a spectacular air show wedding next you're, suppose lid on the very same play that crashed on sunday. johna has been wing-walking for ten years. she knew both the victims, the wingwalker and the pilot, and it's all very difficult, i'm quite shoe. thank you for being here. >> it's hard to talk about it but i'll do my best. >> i've read that many observers thought this plane didn't have enough altitude at the time this happened and that might have contributed.
12:54 pm
>> well, it's only speculation. no one knows for sure what happened. >> shepard: my point was, if you're higher in the air and the plane maybe doesn't have enough wind under the wings, it's going to slowly and too low can you don't have room to adjust. you don't have the altitude to make adjustments. >> that's true. i would agree with that statement. i guess i will life that up to the professionals to decide what really happened. >> shepard: how dangerous is this? obviously things can go wrong. >> yeah, things can go wrong and that's the risk we take as wing-walkers. but for the love of it, that's why we do it. it's fairly safe, but like you said, there's always that element that something could go wrong. >> shepard: certainly on this day, did, jana i hate to cut
12:55 pm
this short be we have breaking news. a fertilizer plan in northwest indiana has exploded. one person i said to be dead. the sheriff's department confirming one person was killed in this fertilizer explosion in the ounce of union mills in indiana. right on the border. 50-miles south and east of chicago. the blast follows one week of -- one that happen less than two weeks ago at a chemical plant in louisiana that makes fertilizer. april 17th fertilizer plant blast in west texas killed 15 people. today in indiana, more. so... [ gasps ]
12:56 pm
these are sandra's "homemade"
12:57 pm
yummy, scrumptious bars. hmm? i just wanted you to eat more fiber. chewy, oatie, gooeyness... and fraudulence. i'm in deep, babe. you certainly are. [ male announcer ] fiber one.
12:58 pm
12:59 pm
>> shepard: and then there's this. before we call it a day. cops in indianapolis got a calls morning about somebody making a lot of noise. so they dispatched a patrol car to check out the noise. when the cops got the they founding in more than a pair of shoes on the sidewalk. a little farther down the sidewalk they found a sock and a little further down some jean shorts, and then a pair of boxers and two shirts and a then a naked guy in a parking lot screaming. officers asked the guy, why are you running around naked screaming. he said, it's now summer and he was hot. there's more to that but we didn't get it. so the dow is off like 250 earlier in the session and it was ugly, and it went down about 50 points a few minutes ago, and
1:00 pm
now as the final bell sounds, they're diving in and selling off again. concerns over china, the economy, and in addition, over whether the fed may at some point stop quanity tatetive easing, or whatever. cavuto is next. >> a critical vote on immigration reform about an hour away. the battle, yeah, it's heating up, and now so are the goodies. welcome. i'm in for neil cavuto. this is your world. they need the so now come the add-ons, goodies that have nothing to do with secure thing border, like $1.5 billion for a youth jobs program. another $100 million for travel and tourism inserted by senate majority leader harry reid of nevada, and something they're calling the crab kickback, designed to help alaskan sea food processors by recrewing worker

116 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on