Skip to main content

tv   The O Reilly Factor  FOX News  July 17, 2013 1:00am-2:01am PDT

1:00 am
tonight. turn it to fox right now. >> the o'reilly factor is on. tonight. >> they paint this picture of white people hunting black people. >> bill: that was bernie last g that the media will not tell the truth about violent crime and young black men. tonight, we'll continue the discussion with allen west and tavis smiley. >> this guy looks like is he up to no good. he looks black. >> bill: nbc news used that sound bite from zimmerman 911 call it was edited and distorted now zimmerman's lawyers say they will take it to court. is it legal on the case. >> were alcohol and drugs ever a problem. >> yes, absolutely. >> how old were you? >> i was about 12. >> bill: yet another young
1:01 am
actor dead from narcotics. tonight, we will tell you why america is not confronting substance abuse the way it should. caution, you are about to enter the no spin zone, the factor begins right now. hi, i'm bill o'reilly, thanks for watching us tonight. violent crime in the media that is the subject of this evening's talking points memo. there is no question, no question at all that the american media is not reporting the black, white crime situation accurately. last night bernie goldberg said this about the reportage. >> they paint this picture of white people hunting black people. here's an inconvenient fact. any time there is interracial crime, there is an overwhelming chance that the victim is going to be white and that the criminal is going to be black.
1:02 am
>> bill: do you have a stat on that, bernie? do you have a stat on that? we'll have it tomorrow. and here it is. according to the fbi between the years 1976 and 2005, the latest stats available, 91% of homicides on black americans were committed by other blacks. 91%. also, 14% of homicides on white americans were committed by blacks. twice as many as the other way around. so the truth is that black men are not being hunted down by whites. as some hysterical commentators charged after the zimmerman acquittal. but the lie was not challenged by the national media in fact, the horrendous black on black murder rate is virtually ignored by the press. the reason is that any exposition of violence in the black community is bad for business. the liberal media wants no part of exposing problems in the minority precincts. best to blame the white
1:03 am
power structure and look the other way. 70% of black babies born out of wedlock, no problem. a rap culture directed at black youth that's violent and crude no sweat. rampant drug use in the inner city, attack the cops trying to solve the problem. same thing with carrying guns. most liberals oppose the stop and frisk strategy that tries to deal with the gun violence. big time tv commentators working on politically correct networks well understand that any skepticism towards minorities is unacceptable. and those in the race business, the again congressional black caucus, race leaders like jackson and sharpton well know they will be finished if they don't he toe the party line. no matter what the evidence, no matter what facts are presented, the liberal line will be the same. it's society's fault. past racial injustice is the real story. not present social chaos. it is long past time to
1:04 am
stop the madness and hold all americans accountable for their actions, george zimmerman was held accountable. the state of florida prosecuted him to the fullest extent of the law but the evidence was not there to convict and most honest folks know that zimmerman is not blameless and his life will not be easy because of mistakes. but the judicial system worked the way it was designed to work. however, the media system is not working the way the founding fathers designed. it is not an honest arena in the press. there is far much money at stake for any journalist to tell you the truth. if it's bad for business, we will spin it or ignore it. the result is anger, confusion, and a collapsing confidence in the american way of life. many black americans sincerely feel aggrieved and some whites believe blacks are using the race card to portray themselves as victims. honest media might be able to cut through all the bitterness and report the truth. but we don't have an honest media in america. because that would be bad
1:05 am
for business. and that's the memo. now for the top story tonight. reaction from both the left and the right. first up, former florida congressman allen west who joins us now from washington. i would like to you react to this statement from attorney general holder earlier today. >> there has always been a legal defense for using deadly force if and the if is important. if no safe retreat is available. but we must examine laws that take this further by eliminating the common sense and age old requirement that people who feel threatened have a duty to retreat outside their home if they can do so safely. >> bill: now, holder obviously wanting to do away with the florida stand your ground law and you say, congressman? >> well, bill, there t. is great pleasure to be with you. i would like to share this very simple and short quote with you that i really think will help our conversation. it says there is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the negro
1:06 am
race before the public. having learned that they're able it to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. some of these people do not want the negro to lose his grievances because they do not want to lose their jobs. that was said in 1911 by booker t. washington. and so when i think about what attorney general eric holder said today the stand your ground law was not a part of the zimmerman case. as a matter of fact, i think they are looking at an opportunity in not letting a good crisis go to waste, each and every individual has a right to defend themselves and i think that's what stand your ground law is about. i live in florida and i understand that law very well. i don't think that you can look at stand your ground law and see how it will apply to this case and i don't think that there is anything that will show that you have a problem in florida or some 22 other states that have laws similar to that. >> bill: all right. now, holder is an interesting guy because he is a political activist
1:07 am
disguised as the attorney general of the united states. and there is no question about that. eric holder enforces the laws that he likes, and he goes after the laws that he doesn't like. when you have a situation like that, where i would say most african-americans agree with holder today, i mean, they feel that zimmerman profiled trayvon martin, they feel that he had a gun, martin was unarmed. skittles, martin winds up dead. zimmerman is acquitted. in their heart, african-americans i think sincerely feel that there was injustice done to them as a race. how do you answer that? >> well, the thing is that when you have a media, which you talked about has no journalistic integrity which continues to promote that story, that's how people go on to feel. let's think about earlier this year in march when you had two black teenagers, one 17 and one 15, who shot a 13 month old white baby antonio santiago in the face.
1:08 am
you did not hear a peep out of the media last thursday had you a 17-year-old by the name of darryl greene who was found murdered in chicago because he refused to join a gang. did you not hear a peep from the media on that. >> bill: here is why this story blew up. the racial profiling aspect of it. that blew the story up from a crime on black, white, or black white, or black black, whatever it may be be the racial profiling of the kid, which many african-americans believe happened, that blew it up into a major national story. would you agree with that? >> yes. but that was something, once again, that was not substantiated by the evidence that was presented. and i had a friend of mine who is a detective in new york city that just sent an email to me before i came on that said last night in new york city you had a black individual that shot hispanic. now, was that because of race? or was that because of racial profiling? >> bill: it's a different situation. because this situation was one unarmed teenager
1:09 am
walking, looking a certain way. he looked a certain way. and that piqued the interest of zimmerman, the neighborhood watch guy. basically looking at him saying you know what? i don't know this guy. got a bunch of burglaries. i'm going to call 911. he did it because of the way that martin looked. that's what separated this crime -- crime, this was no crime. this situation from the others that you mentioned. >> well, i think that when you interject what is supposed to be race but we had an fbi that didn't d. an investigation and miami geraldo reported that 36 witnesses said that they don't feel that george zimmerman was a racist. >> bill: that's true. >> they don't feel that race was involved. but yet when we continue to people saying racial profiling. racial profiling. then if you continue to promulgate that phrase, then people are going to believe it. that's where the media comes in. >> okay. mr. west, i agree with you there. the fbi did investigate. they found no racism in mr. zimmerman's background.
1:10 am
yet, the media continues to put out that line. we appreciate you coming on. directly ahead, tavis smiley will reply to the talking points memo and to mr. west. also ahead, charles krauthammer has some thoughts on the reaction to the zimmerman verdict. in addition, lawyers for george zimmerman say they will sue nbc for doctored tape that made their client look racist. is it legal up ahead.
1:11 am
1:12 am
1:13 am
gym bill continuing now with the lead story is the media reporting black crime accurately. joining suggestion tavis smiley. you heard the talking points on mr. west. and you say? >> say first of all that's what lacking in this conversation is an empathy and appreciation for the humanity of trayvon martin. i say what's missing in this conversation is the reality of when you talk about the stats that most whites are killed by other whites, most blacks are killed by other blacks. that's the bottom line. i say what's missing in
1:14 am
this conversation is the reality that in this country sadly the life of a black child does not have the same worth and value of the life of a white child. when sandy hook happened want empathy and appreciation and the unraveling of those children was present all over fox news and every place else as it should have been. for instance are not seeing that same kind of empathy and appreciation for the humanity of trayvon that they saw for the children of sandy hook. i'm waiting to hear, i haven't heard it yet. i'm waiting to hear the nra say that if trayvon martin had a gun he might still be alive today. the bottom line is that race is still the most intractable issue in this country. and when an adult can profile and stalk and kill a child in america, our democracy is trend. the poem line is this. if trayvon martin had been mark zuckerberg, the most well known white guy in america who walks around with hoodies on every day, he wouldn't have been stalked. he wouldn't have been skilled. and the bottom line, further is, that if
1:15 am
mr. zimmerman, if trayvon martin, rather, could get his life back. as quickly as zimmerman got his gun back, i would feel a lot better. >> bill: i'm going to correct the record, i have been very empathetic to the martin family. can you check with their lawyer on that. do you feel the trial was unfair? did you see anything in the trial that was unfair? >> i think the fact that mr. zimmerman is free today speaks to the fact -- you want to get specific. >> bill: specifically in the trial. >> no, i won't. >> bill: the way the evidence is presented the way the state conducted the prosecution and the defense conducted what they did, did you see anything that was unfair? >> not necessarily. >> bill: okay. you didn't see anything, unfair i didn't see anything unfair. we have to go by what the jury. we assume they are good honest people came to a conclusion. let's advance the tore. yesterday on good morning america you made a very provocative statement. roll the tape. >> i think this is for many americans, george, just a
1:16 am
piece of evidence of the incontrovertible contempt that this nation often shows and displays for black men. something is wrong when adults can racially profile children, trayvon martin was a child. racially profiled and gunned down. >> okay. now, the words incontrovertible contempt and you and i both agree that the trial was fair. i don't know where the con tempted is coming from. and maybe in george zimmerman's heart is he contemptuous. maybe. there is not any evidence of that i mean, the fbi didn't find that but where is the contempt coming from? >> let me define what i mean when i say the trial was fair. under the rules, that the jury was given, the evidence that the judge allowed in and not allowed in and i can certainly debate you on what should have been in that wasn't allowed. in but under the rules they were told to make a decision by, the trial went along as it should have. here's the problem. the problem is that in the state of florida, this law
1:17 am
itself, you asked about the trial. let me back up before the trial. it's the law that i have a problem with. nobody eric holder talking about today. people do have a beef on that. there are a lot of people who believe that zimmerman had a right to stand his ground. people did not have a rate to stand his ground, bill. you and me. you don't say, you made it -- you made it very very personal. you said that america has contempt for black men. >> absolutely. >> that's wrong. >> bill: that's true. >> i said already. >> bill: you can't back it up. >> i will back it up right now. i have said already that black men so often are viewed in this country as a minister society. number one. number two, look at the overcriminalization of black boys in our education system, number two. number three, look at the racist drug laws. you have got to get caught with more crack than powder
1:18 am
cocaine to get the same system. look at the high unemployment numbers in this country, with specific regard to african-american men. finally, consider this, bill, the only reason why this case even was brought in the first place. the only reason why it came to trial is because there was a national human cry. if there was a value for black male life in america that there is for white male life in america, it wouldn't have required all that it took just to get this even the charges even filed, the case even brought, bill. >> bill: look, i'm glad the case came to trial. i think the trial was fair. all the points you raised are so societal problems where there is anoth there is genocide going on in chicago and it's blacks killing blacks. okay? whites have nothing to do with it i don't believe that america has contempt for black men. i believe a lot of the problem is generated by blacks themselves that won't solve the problems of their neighborhoods. >> bill, i just offered five reasons, five specific
1:19 am
examples of how there are contempt still in this country for african-american men. >> bill: it's a problem solving mechanism. >> does not have the same value as white life in america and that's sad, bill. >> bill: i'm telling you if you look at the people who are murdering it isn't whites murdering blacks. it's blacks. >> what are you not hearing? blacks kill blacks. whites kill whites. here is the bottom line and they all done doo it guns and gun control. >> gun control is not going to have the issue. federalized all gun crimes. >> it helps. >> bill: no it wouldn't. >> what would solve the issue. >> bill: criminals will always get the guns. >> the issue of getting the guns. get the guns off our streets. that's how you solve the problems. >> bill: you will have to revoke the second amendment and you are not going it do that. >> huge gap between repealing the second amendment and reasonable laws. huge gap, bill and you know that. >> bill: i can be solve the problem by federalizing gun crimes. you wouldn't back that because you say the sentencing unfair if the
1:20 am
guy with gun so the 20 years. >> i could solve problem too. arm every black person in america and let's say what the nra has to say. >> bill: tavis, that's a little extreme. we always appreciate you coming on. >> not at all. >> bill: very controversial lawsuit. lawyers for george zimmerman say they will sue nbc news for portraying their client as a racist.
1:21 am
1:22 am
1:23 am
you. >> bill: is it legal segment tonight, george zimmerman suing nbc news. as you may remember in december of 2012. nbc news ran this portion of zimmerman's 911 call the night trayvon martin was killed. >> this guy looks like he is up to no good. he looks black. >> did you see what he was
1:24 am
wearing? >> yeah. dark hoody. >> but here is the full 911 call that nbc news edited. >> this guy looks like he is up to no good or he is on drugs or something. it's raining and he is just walking around looking about. >> okay. and this guy is he white, black, or hispanic? >> he looks black. >> did you see what he was wearing? >> yeah. dark hoody. >> bill: so in the wake of that doctored tape, nbc fired two reporters and a producer but zimmerman's lawyers say the company is still libel for branding their client a racist. with us now attorneys and fox news analyst lis wiehl and kimberly guilfoyle. i guess the defense that nbc news will use is it wasn't us, it was these employees. we held them accountable. we apologized so is that enough? >> that's absolutely not enough. nbc news is on big intentional infliction with emotional stress.
1:25 am
they doctored that tape and went out there. started the whole narrative of zimmerman being this profiling racist that started everything. and so for him now to say we're just going to go ahead with the suit, absolutely they are looking at countless amount of money. probably millions of dollars. >> bill: really? >> you have got a private figure here. zimmerman now is a public figure. he was not a public figure at that time. he was a private figure, just a neighborhood watch guy. >> bill: will they try to make the public figure argument? >> that's what this case is going to turn on. whether or not they can convince a court that in fact he was a public figure at the time. it would have been much more easily to say he inflicted this bad image of himself and found guilty under the facts and circumstances. that didn't happen. >> bill: what about the civil violations because he will be sued in a civil court zimmerman will be. does that have anything to do with this. >> this is separate. this is defamation, this is separate from that it really started this whole thing and nbc will be held accountable for that i have to -- i disagree, kimberly,
1:26 am
because i think he will not be held to be a public figure. he was clearly. >> no, i'm saying they are going to try. >> i'm sensing settlement here big time. >> oh yeah. >> they should settle the case because i think it's a very strong case. >> go out the window, the lawyers defending him in. >> keep in mind this case was stayed pending the outcome of the criminal prosecution. there is no strongs are evidence now that he is acquitted. >> same judge. >> jackson judge in a beef with estranged husband. she fires a shot. >> that's maurice alexander. >> bill: fire as shot in the air and not at the guy and gets 20 years in prison, guilfoyle? how did that happen? >> under florida's law, zimmerman was subjected to this law as well if he was convicted, especially the manslaughter he could have done as much time as if he was convicted of a second degree. if you have a weapon and you commit a crime and you discharge it. >> what was the crime that she committed? >> she committed aggravated felonious assault and she
1:27 am
was convicted in 12 minutes by a jury of her piers in florida. >> bill: what did she do? >> she discharged a weapon in the direction of her husband at the time. >> bill: she shot the weapon not at but close by. >> he says he didn't it's a felony. >> yes. >> critical thing different from zimmerman. here they have this fight. they got in a fight. she then left -- here is what is important. she left the house. >> bill: is it her house? >> no, no, no. >> they were living together. >> no, she was living with her mother at the time. >> she was staying with her mother because there was a restraining order against him for domestic violence this ricco gray. that's him right there. he did -- she was afraid of him there were prior incidents of domestic violence. protection order in place. he comes there. reads her phone. she had just texted her ex-husband. he got upset. keep in mind, she had just had a baby nine days before with her current husband who now she is divorced from. >> bill: he came there violating the order of restraint? >> he came there to visit. i don't know if he was violating at the time. >> bill: she has a beef
1:28 am
with him and she runs out and gets the gun. >> she went to leave to get in her car. >> it can't be stand your ground now when she actually leaves the scene and comes back to the scene. >> bill: got in the car but decided to go back with a gun? >> that's the key. >> had a weapon that she had legally came back in hnd a weapon discharged. the prosecution says you could have killed one of them. bullet went through the wall. >> bill: she gets 20 years. >> very harsh sentence. prosecuted by angela cory. the same prosecutor that prosecuted zimmerman. >> bill: she could have pled out. >> three years. jezy jackson, everybody is on her side saying this isn't justice. >> it's a harsh sentence. >> bill: i hope governor scott take as a look at it he can do it. plenty more ahead as the factor moves along this evening. charles krauthammer has some thoughts about the intense reaction to the @cáú$rñb-k(jym.u,8md-!(nkko,q÷vn why are so many young americans destroying themselves with drugs and alcohol? we'll take a hard look at that in the wake of actor cory monteith's death he
1:29 am
overdosed on heroin
1:30 am
1:31 am
1:32 am
>> bill: our pal john recently attended a libertarian gathering called freedom fest in las vegas. >> in our 250 years, we have accomplished amazing things. amazing prosperity. we just can't take it for granted because free and prosperous is not the natural state of things in human history, it's rare.
1:33 am
we now are starting to look a lot like rome and we ought to worry about that. >> bill: you should have worn a toga when you were out there saying this. >> you are mr. show biz. >> bill: why don't you explain to people who don't have history degrees about the comparison between ancient rome, which was the most powerful nation on earth at the time and then it fell to america today? >> to collapsed of its own weight. government grew, the parallels are interesting. just increases in taxes. increases in abuse by leaders, not following the constitution. they devalued the currency. showing gladiator fights. had gross spectacles which people had to pay for. when people complained they bribed them with welfare. very similar. >> so, what happened in rome was, basically, that the discipline and value system that made rome so
1:34 am
powerful eroded, it eroded from the inside. the folks wanted to see the gore and violence. they wanted to see, you know, prostitution was legal. people were doing all kinds of crazy things. the emperors were corrupt. hun and on and on and on. it's not nearly that bad in america. >> no. the things they did were unbelievable, the emperor himself would import hippos, elephants, lions from all over the world and personally kill them in the coliseum. >> bill: i understand nbc might have a new reality show that might -- no, that's not true. that's not true. look, i did a lot of research on this and i happen to agree with you that there are many frightening parallels between what is going on in america today and the permissiveness and the taxation and bloated government bill. >> you through in the permissiveness. >> bill: you don't think bringing in hip bows and lions permissive i know you are a libertarian. >> that's gross excess
1:35 am
that's not the same as legal sex work. >> bill: it's permissiveness. anything sex and violence goes in public and we don't care. the reason did i this research anyway is for killing jesus. what was happening in rome directly affected the nazarene, directly. you will see that in the book that comes out in september nice plug for me. the devaluation of the currency came because the roman emperors had to get more and more money and tax the peasants more and more to expand their government and to live lavishly and to waste the money they did, correct? >> at first they just stole money from the countries they con are dod. when they ran out of that they couldn't go into debt like we are. they didn't have a fed printing money. they said okay, next year there is less silver in the currency and went to 95% silver to less than 1% silver. >> bill: do you think we are going to collapse as a nation if we continue on this libertarian bent that you love and embrace. >> the libertarian bent.
1:36 am
your show complaining about the debt is our best hope. if we continue on our current shocial discuss course i think so. >> bill: how long will it be in the stossel prediction venue? >> 18 years three months. [ laughter ] >> bill: do you really think it will be in our lifetime? i would rather be dead than see the country collapse to tell you the truth. >> thomas jefferson says it's a natural progress for things for government to grow and we can't afford. >> bill: we have got to get the brakes on soon and get those lions in here. >> we have them at fox. >> bill: should america be fighting harder against drug and alcohol abuse? we have a no spin report. krauthammer on the zimmerman verdict and reaction to it. the factor returns after these announcements.
1:37 am
1:38 am
1:39 am
1:40 am
>> bill: thanks for staying with us. i'm bill o'reilly in the personal story segment tonight, 31-year-old actor cory monteith who starred in glee died over-the-weekend in vancouver, canada from a combination of alcohol and heroin. he had a long history of drug and alcohol problems. >> were alcohol and drugs ever a problem. >> yes, absolutely. >> how old were you started using. >> i was about 12, actually. >> what happened when you were 19? >> i changed my whole life and i moved to another city to live with a friend of my mother's who was recovering, you know, from addictions. and i started on that route.
1:41 am
>> bill: joining us now from los angeles, dr. david sack, ceo of promises center. the organization has reportedly dealt with people like robert downie jr. ben affleck and lindsay lohan. doctors becoming permissive that alcohol and drugs especially marijuana are becoming more acceptable. if you got heroin and methamphetamine route everybody he knows that can lead to ruin. they are packaging binge drinking and marijuana in kind of an attractive way in the media these days. am i wrong? >> no. i think the attitude toward drinking has changed, and the attitude toward marijuana changed when we started to get legalization of marijuana throughout the united states. so, all of a sudden there is a perception that marijuana is safe, if not helpful. but, in fact, you know, the evidence is really to the contrary. especially when used by adolescents and young adults where it effects
1:42 am
future development and thinking. >> bill: the society that we live in now doesn't want judgments made about personal behavior. and if you come out, you are a scold -- i get letters all the time from viewers who smoke pot from viewers who say i smoke all the time no harm. like smoking cigarettes. you smoke and nothing happens to them. if you start to alter your consciousness on a daily basis whether it's pot or booze or whatever it may be, that cannot be good for a human being, can it? >> well, over time, it always catches up with people. they start to miss work. they have problems in their relationships. and marijuana is a very insidious drug. people don't notice how it's affecting them. they are not aware of how it causes them to be more irritable, more paranoid. more oppositional. it's a particularly difficult drug that way. the other thing that's different about marijuana than other drugs is that it stays in your body for a very long time. so people will say well, you know, i stopped smoking and i didn't notice any
1:43 am
change but, in fact, they could be high on marijuana for the next 30 days. binge drink something a similar problem. people who binge drinks are not alcoholics. i like to go out and party. i'm not an alcoholic. >> bill: when you see and particularly in the rap call temperature and pop music world all of these idols that the kids follow, cory monteith is a clean-cut guy i knew him. i said yesterday very nice to his young fans. the guy, you know, he is on heroin which is probably the most destructive along with methamphetamine. but, the message sent to kids is it's cool, it's cool, it's cool, it's cool. where is the resistance to that? outside of me, and maybe a few other commentators, but there isn't any media resistance to it at all. >> i think that people have always glamorized drugs and the bohemian sort of counter cultural lifestyle. it didn't start in 2010.
1:44 am
you know, even if you go back to the 1920s, that was really about boozing and drugging. you know, i think that when we look at things today, we have to say what can we do as a society to offer some protection from the risks of drug abuse. clearly, you know, parents who are involved in their kid's activities that know what their kids are doing, whose kids are engaged in school and sports are going to be much less likely to be susceptible to drug -- >> bill: unfortunately millions of kids don't have that mr. monteith didn't have that he came from a broken family and he didn't have parents who were paying attention to him. doctor, thanks for your good work. thanks for coming on. reacting to the reaction of the zimmerman verdict. charles krauthammer moments away.
1:45 am
test test
1:46 am
announcer: announcer: you're on the right track to save big during sleep train's triple choice sale. for a limited time, you can choose to save hundreds on beautyrest and posturepedic mattress sets. or choose $300 in free gifts with sleep train's most popular tempur-pedic mattresses. you can even choose 48 months interest-free financing on the new tempur-choice with head-to-toe customization. the triple choice sale ends soon at sleep train! ♪ sleep train ♪ your ticket to a better night's sleep ♪
1:47 am
1:48 am
>> bill: back of the book segment tonight. as we reported in the top of the program, there has been intense reaction to the acquittal of george zimmerman in florida. you know that joining us now from washington with his take, fox news political analyst charles krauthammer. what's the most important thing about this story for you? >> whether the mob is going to rule. it was a lot because of the mob, i'm talking about the activists and the people who live off racial conflict that we had the trial in the first place. as we saw by the weakness of the prosecution, the fact that they really had almost no case at all it was arguable that it shouldn't have been brought to trial in the first place. >> bill: it was better that it was though then everybody saw. >> so the mob demanded it and the mob said let's have -- let trayvon have his day in court and there was an impartial jury. was s. there any evidence whatsoever of racial animus or bias in the actual trial itself? if anything, the trial
1:49 am
judge had some sympathy, i think a little more sympathy for the prosecution. so, nobody who -- it was not in secret but open for the whole world to see. there is no case to be made that this was an unfair process. we have divine justice and human and the best that we can do is what our system has. it's worked for two centuries. you have a presentation of the evidence on both sides. and a verdict. to the president's credit he did say in his initial statement a jury has spoken. the only question is will the mob that caused the trial in the first place now pressure the administration into a double jeopardy prosecution of zimmerman either on grounds of hate crime or civil rights. i think it will be a terrible mistake if the department of justice did and i think that would be a success for the mob. >> bill: earlier then tonight i said that attorney general holder is an activist masquerading as
1:50 am
an attorney general. that he is a political man and he pursues the cases that fall into his political purview and defines the cases that don't. so, therefore, you have a guy who is predissupposed who' predisposed to go after zimmerman because of his politics, his internal politics. do you disagree with me on that? >> maybe his inclination, but listening to what he said today at the naacp convention, i think he understands the politics and the realities of this. the legal realities of it, if he brings a federal case, he is not just going to lose, but he will be humiliated. i think he knows that, that's why his speech today was interesting. he deflected the issue of prosecuting zimmerman. it's a way to delay this process nmg the temperature in the room
1:51 am
has been lowered. >> yeah, that's what he did with fast and furious, with benghazi. >> they do that with everything. i think it was a clever -- politically clever way in front of an audience that wants to see a special prosecution as saying, i don't know about it, but i'll tell you what, we have to have a great debate, we have to oppose the stand your ground laws. it was irrelevant. it's a way to misdirect the attention of the mob, and i think in this case, it's a good idea. >> and he plays politics with it. >> here's the most controversial story of the evening. charles is a psychologist as well as as political analyst. there are many african-americans who sincerely believe that the system is stacked against blacks. particularly black men, and trayvon martin did not get a fair hearing, and this is
1:52 am
another example of oppression by a white dominated america. do you respect that belief? >> i understand it, i have some sympathy for it, i can understand if you get stopped, you know, holy smoke, about an incident when he was already a federal prosecutor, when he was stopped in george down, because he was running on his way to a movie because he was late. i understand that, if you look at the facts, this comparison, any society on earth. if you look at the progress he made over 60 years, that i think is not an accurate perception. and i think it is played upon by racial activists like the sharptons and others, and the media who want a story, and that's why i think it has a lot of prominence in the country. it was a fair trial. everybody heard the evidence, no, sir was hidden, and the jury spoke. >> the media drove the narrative
1:53 am
of race. last word by you. did they do so on purpose? and if so, why? >> well, the doctor at nbc where he noticed the first thing he noticed about trayvon was his race is a disgrace. people who say it's an accident, prove it to me. show me. >> we would like to be the first to show you the book, things that matter. looking forward to it. factor tip of the day on what we should and should not eat. the tip, two minutes away.
1:54 am
we may have to fire the bill o'reilly dot com guys because they're out of control. offering a 20% discount if you sign up or reup your memberment. all of our stuff is on sale for summer. we're pretty much giving away at bi billo'reilly.com. i'm appalled at this, check it all out. now, i didn't see them protesting the o.j. simpson
1:55 am
verdict. mr. o'reilly, i felt you ignored focused on race.f an innocent that is the story now, malcolm, how americans are reacting to the verdict. it's my job to cover that story. o'reilly in your talking points you chastise those who would impugn the justice system. even if you disagree, zimmerman was tried by a jury of his piers. that's the way it works here. wayne curtis, st. augustine, florida. this trial is not about justice for the martin family, it's about justice for zimmerman. >> false, wayne, it was about justice, period. families are crime victims too. charlene ambrose, redondo beach, california. if martin had killed zimmerman and had been acquitted. whites would not have run
1:56 am
rampant in the streets. speculation, but most likely true. most black americans did not run rampant. only a few loons and thugs caused trouble. we should boycott florida because of the trayvon martin killing. should we also boycott chicago because of all the blacks being killed there? bill, please elaborate on your tip where you said we should not lecture kids about substance abuse about most will tune out the lecture. have a discussion, much more interesting and effective. engage them in the conversation. jeff shultz, oregon, i just read keep it pithy. i'll be discussing it on cbs this morning tomorrow at 7:30 a.m.
1:57 am
killing lincoln and killing kennedy, the kennedy's last days is your best work yet. it's one of my favorite's too, jack. adults are liking it, it's got great pictures and gets right to the point. thanks for reading it. the factor tip of the day. two months ago i told you a good way to lose weight is to drink a glass of water mixed with lemon juice a half hour before you eat a meal. that will make you less hungry. the cdc say about two thirds of american adults are two chubby. and that can lead to major health problems. of course there are a gazillion diet books but you don't need them. if you want to shed some pounds do this. drink the lemon water, stop eating bread and limit the pasta. also, just one sugar treat a day. that's it. that's it. if you do those very simple things, remember, i'm a simple man, you'll drop the pounds. if you want to accelerate it, go
1:58 am
gluten free, no wheat. wheat bulks you up. and walk every day some place as fast as your little legs can go. as you know, i'm a simple man, so that's the simple factor tip of the day. it will work. that's it for us. check out the fox news website. we would like to give you the word of the day, do not cavil. thanks for watching us tonight. please remember the spin stops here. we're definitely looking out for you. >> it is july 17th. half of the country suffering from a dangerous heat wave and relief is not coming any time unfortunately. temperatures expected to go even
1:59 am
higher. >> after the break in the center lines about the george zimmerman verdict injua juror is facing backlash from the other jurors. what they are saying about the contentious case. >> the accused boston bomber gracing the cover of the magazine. looks more like a rock star than a terrorist. fox and friends first starts right now. ♪ >> good morning to you. that is certainly the temperature. >> 103. >> you are watching "fox & friends first" on this wednesday morning. i am heather nauert. >> i am ainsley earhardt. we begin with the extreme weather alert. a dangerous heat wave hitting
2:00 am
the country and doesn't seem to be in sight any time soon. brutal temperatures climbing into the high 90s. in many places it feels like triple digits. this week is usually the hottest of the year. right now temperatures in the northeast are about 5-10 degrees higher than normally. new york city is experiencing the worst of all of this. many turning to cooling centers in order to try to get out of the heat. extreme weather causing outages along the east coast in power companies places like connecticut expected to reach record breaking levels. >> scorching heat is causing thousands of people in america, they are set to lose water for several days as crews work to try to repair a pipeline. maria molina joins us with the latest. >> when is this

97 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on