Skip to main content

tv   America Live  FOX News  July 17, 2013 10:00am-12:01pm PDT

10:00 am
can pronounce. scientists say it proved that t-rex famed for massive jaws, hunted its prey as well as salveningisalve eni scavenging. >> what did it do with the tiny arms? >> "america live" starts right now. a fox news alert. two big stories breaking from washington. first, members of the congressional black caucus moments ago saying without a doubt the civil rights of trayvon martin were violated in their opinion by neighborhood watch captain george zimmerman. they are right now heading into a meeting to decide what they should do about that. interesting developments here in d.c. welcome everybody to "america live." i'm martha mccallum in for megyn. and people are awaiting the arrival of the royal baby still. >> i'm in los angeles helping
10:01 am
out at the breaking news desk. the growing debate over the jury's decision to acquit george zimmerman on all charges. lawmakers saying they stand with the naacp and the group's efforts to push for federal hate crime charges against zimmerman. listen. >> i personally know what happens when our judicial system is not diverse. because i see young men of color being sentenced every single day, being given all sorts of agreements that they should not go to trial. we see what has happened to trayvon martin and how the judicial system was stacked against him. >> well, this all comes as we have another big story developing as we learn that the
10:02 am
justice department has launched an aggressive campaign soliciting tips from the public in this case that might help to build a case against george zimmerman. you thought this trial was over, right? we've got more on that in just a moment. but first, chris ire wall, fox news digital and host of power play on fox news.com. this story, you know, we thought it was over when the verdict happened. but the fires of it continue to be stoked in washington, chris. >> not just in washington, but across many in the establishment press are out there stoking, stoking, pushing, pushing, talking about the racial element. for a lot of viewers who said, well, you have middle class, hispanic man, you have middle class black teenager. there's a fight, tragedy. somebody dies. this isn't about race in america forever and ever, et cetera, et cetera. well, if you're in the congressional black caucus, you probably think otherwise and certainly for the crowds at the naacp today hearing from al
10:03 am
sharpton and jesse jackson, that's not going to be the message. the two things aren't unrelated a bit, martha. the more pressure that comes from black activists and people like congresswoman wilson there who you saw speaking at. cbc event today, the more pressure that comes on that, the tighter the squeeze is on eric holder and president obama to do something for constituency that they feel has failed the black community. >> it's an interesting way of looking at this situation, chris, in terms of why they would be driven to want to continue this case. in a way, it obfuscates some of the real issues in terms of murder in the city is low, employment rates. a lot of the things that the president and the administration could be criticized for in terms of the way the administration has been going. >> and they have been criticized.
10:04 am
the voices that we've heard from the naacp, from the congressional black caucus in the past have talked about high unemployment in the black community, have talked about the high rate of racially segregated, if you will, crime. the number of black on black murders and all of that, that has proved such a disaster for the community, that pressure is on the president. but this creates a boiling point where the first black president and the first black attorney general feel tremendous squeeze from their base, an important political base but also an emotional ideological base and historical status base to do something beyond just say well, we'd like to change the gun laws in the country or there ought to be something done. >> that's a really dangerous poegs to brew potentially, chris. if you're going to sort of seize upon this moment and many others look at the president at this point and say, isn't it
10:05 am
incumbent upon him to rise above the fray of this discussion and to urge calm and to lead the nation in a positive way rather than sort of say, you know, negate the wheels of justice that have turned in this case already? >> well, the president has tried and holder to a certain degree tried yesterday in his speech, made it clear that mr. zimmerman was going to be discomforted further by the federal judicial -- or federal legal process. but remember this, the president is historic for the first thing that made barack obama historic as president was the first thing he did, take that oath of office and become the first african-american president. his status and stature is tied to that in a big way. if his own community, if that community feels that he has failed them and that this becomes the exemplar of that, it puts him in a difficult point at a time when he'd like to start polishing up his legacy. >> boy, chris, you know what, it
10:06 am
also brings to mind the speech that put him on the map. and that was one we're not a white america, we're not a black america. we're the united states of america and it feels like we need to hear those words perhaps again. we'll see. we'll see where this goes. chris, thank you very much. >> you bet. now, to the other big breaking story we just mentioned. we've just confirmed that the justice department soliciting tips from the public. they are now doing that and that may help in the filing of potential hate crime charges against george zimmerman. the doj set up a public e-mail address where pretty much anybody can weigh in. the effort comes despite the fact that the fbi in a previous investigation found no evidence of any kind of racial bias. joining me now is former justice department lawyer tom dupree. there's setting up an e-mail where pretty much anybody can kind of weigh in on any kind of,
10:07 am
i don't know, things they've seen in the past, george zimmerman might have had some kind of racial bias. is this unusual for the doj to do? >> it is unusual. they've done it in other cases. they did it, for example in the boston marathon, the bombing case. it's a particularly unusual move here, though, for a number of reasons. the fbi has already investigated it. they haven't found any evidence that would support bringing hate crime charges. it's not as though this is a case that has not gotten publicity. it's hard to imagine that there are people out there who now will be prompted by the tip line to say, you know something, i do have some evidence on this case. this case captured the nation's attention for many months. you got to say if people were sitting on evidence that would support these sort of crimes, they already would have let the government know about it. >> so what's the timeline on this, tom? how long do we follow-up this? is it days, weeks, years or just until the political pressure kind of goes away?
10:08 am
>> i think you put your finger on it at the end. i suspect this is in large part driven by political concerns. you have a very strong portion of the administration's constituency demanding action. this is eric holder's way of saying look, we're doing something. if at the end of the day, we ultimately decline to prosecute, they can at least say we exhausted every avenue, we took every root to uncover evidence. but at the end of the day, we didn't have it. this sews that they're taking it seriously and trying to do something. >> turning to something but they're literally going back and willing to look at every aspect of his life, tom, to use against him. i mean, a lot of the complaints about this, they believe the doj, the government for intents and purposes is overstepping its bounds. >> the other thing is this is going to generate, i would imagine, an immense mass of junk, of phone calls, of e-mail. there will be hacks out there, kooks who weigh in. they will have to look at
10:09 am
everything that comes in. today, if i'm a summer intern at the justice department, i don't think i would welcome this. they'll get a huge amount of telephone calls and most will be cranks. i think they're obliged to follow it through to conclusion. >> i just want to ask you very quickly, would they also look for exculpatory evidence. will it benefit george zimmerman saying he's not a racist? >> they absolutely should. if they have that sort of evidence, it has to factor into any discretionary deeation as to whether to prosecute or not. if they see exculpatory evidence coming in over the transom, they take it seriously and give it whatever weight its due. >> tom dupree, good to see you. thank you. >> absolutely. thank you. also ahead, by the way,
10:10 am
growing questions over a woman who could be america's next ambassador to the u.n. as samantha powers is grilled today about past remarks where she seemed to accuse the united states of committing crimes overseas. wait until you hear her answer. >> a potentially deadly situation in outer space after an astronaut, are you ready, nearly drowns inside his suit. plus, rolling stone magazine getting hammered by critics today for giving what some are calling the rock star treatment to o one of the boston bombing suspects. we'll show you what they did and how they're responding to the criticism. >> it's despicable. he now is going to be the poster boy for all the young kids that read rolling stone magazine. they want to become famous. if they want to make the cover of a national magazine. no problem, kill somebody. everybody has different investment objectives,
10:11 am
10:12 am
10:13 am
ideas, goals, appetite for risk. you can't say 'one size fits all'. it doesn't. that's crazy. we're all totally different. ishares core. find out why 9 out of 10your large professional investors choose ishares for their etfs. ishares by blackrock. call 1-800-ishares for a prospectus, which includes investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. read and consider it carefully before investing. risk includes possible loss of principal.
10:14 am
well, an indiana doctor suspected in a series of possible revenge killings appearing in court today in illinois. anthony garcia is wanted for four murders in nebraska. each of the victims has ties to a university hospital in omaha that fired him back in 2001. prosecutors there are hoping to find out this afternoon how soon he could be extradited back to their state to face charges. police believe garcia shot and killed creighton university professor roger brum back and stopped his wife to death last may. he's accused in the 2008 stabbing death of 11-year-old thomas hunter, the son of another professor and shirley sherman, the hunter family housekeeper. breaking news now on the woman who could become america's next u.n. ambassador. samantha power grilled during a senate confirmation hearing a little more than an hour ago. she was asked about some of the
10:15 am
controversial remarks she's made suggesting that the united states had had committed some crimes overseas. listen to this fascinating exchange that she had with florida senator marco rubio. watch. >> i would categorize the rwanda situation as a crime, the words you used permitted by the united states. which ones did the united states commit or sponsor that you were referring to? >> again, sir, i think this is the greatest country on early. we have nothing to apologize for. >> okay. so you don't have any in mind now that we've committed or sponsor? >> i will not apologize for america. i will stand proudly if confirmed behind the u.s. placard. >> i understand. but do you believe the united states has committed or sponsored crimes? >> i believe the united states is the greatest country on earth. i really do. >> there you go. monica crowley joins me and fox news contributor. that was definitely her line of the day. that she is a big believer in the great united states of
10:16 am
america. and she may believe that, but a lot of the things that she's said in the past monica, give credence to at least senator rubio's questioning along those lines, do they not? >> absolutely. in fact, her repetition of this line today, martha, that she believes the united states is the greatest nation on earth and we have nothing to apologize for, it's obvious she's saying that now because she wants this job to be the u.s. ambassador to the u.n. she has a record of saying the opposite. she's accused the united states of committing war crimes and of assists or helping at least in committing genocide. she has indirectly compared the united states to nazi germany. she's blamed american power for anti-americanism around the world. in other words, it's always our fault. the united states should be taken down a notch or two or ten internationally because of all of the pasta tros at thises and bad things that we have done in the world. in other words, she comes out of
10:17 am
this far less tradition, martha. believes the united states has not been a force for good and liberation and freedom but a force for tyranny and oppression. in that way, she comes out of mold that the president of the united states does. >> i want to just quote, monday could, from something that she said that goes directly to senator rubio's questions. she said in a speech, a prior speech, u.s. foreign policy has to be rethought. it needs not tweaking but overhauling. we need a historical reckoning, she says, with crimes committed, sponsored or permitted by the united states. she goes on and on to say that we need to open the files and go back and look at the mistakes we made. she talks a lot about before you go out in the world and try to support a nation, you need to also explain what you did wrong there in the past that sets you up for this new change of heart. what do you think? >> yeah. i mean, this gets to her
10:18 am
long-standing philosophy and she's got a long paper trail where she writes about this. about how the united states, it's always blame america first. that the united states is presumed guilty when we're looking at u.s. actions around the world and to what you pointed out, martha, where she's saying u.s. foreign policy and national security strategy requires a rethinking. do we have the moral authority to exercise our power in the world given this long trail of injustices and genocide and war crimes that we have committed. my question, martha, is the republicans generally want to give the president his prerogative in terms of his nominees and choices. i certainly understand that. but there are certain battles that should be picked. i think she's one of the most dangerous appointments this president has made. that's saying a lot. in this case, the republicans actually should drive a stake into the ground and oppose her nomination, because if she's at the u.n., i wonder who will be
10:19 am
fighting for america's interests there. >> you know, it's interesting. when you go through her takes on different foreign policy over the past couple of years, for one thing the intervention in libya, she really -- her statements mirror very closely what president obama has done. the more i learn about her, the more it seems that she has been a very strong voice in this president's ear. is that the case, do you think? >> yes. remember, she's married to president obama's regulatory czar. very close relationship with him. that's how all of these people get these jobs because they are all of like mind with this president. they all come out of the far left ideology. the problem is that american power is being diluted around the world thanks to this president. he's gutting our military, the military budget. reducing america's influence around the world. she's at the u.n. assuming she gets this job.
10:20 am
she's going to be at the u.n. doing exactly that. she has argued for, for example the introduction of american troops on the israeli border to protect the palestinian people from the israelis. that's how far out of the mainstream this woman is. >> all right. let's see what happens. monica, very insightful, thank you as always good to see you. >> you too, martha. thanks. well, the nation's top law man is attacking a self-defense statute that's on the books in some 30 states. coming up in our debate, attorney general eric holder's former communication's director will go head to head with lars larson over the stand your ground issue. very hot debate on that coming up. plus an update on the woman who came to be known as the neighbor from hell. is proving how she came to earn that title and a potentially deadly situation going on in outer space as an astronaut nearly drowns inside his suit.
10:21 am
what happened? trace explains coming up. >> no, no. i can hear perfectly. i can still hear perfectly. but my head is really wet. i am feeling the -- the great outdoors, and a great deal.
10:22 am
grrrr ahhh let's leave the deals to hotels.com. perfect! yep, and no angry bears. up to 30% off. only at hotels.com. it fills you with energy... and it gives you what you are looking for to live a more natural life. in a convennt two bar pack. this is nature valley. nature at its most delicious. what are you guys doing? having some fiber! with new phillips' fiber good gummies. they're fruity delicious! just two gummies have 4 grams of fiber! to help support gularity! i want some... [ woman ] hop on over! [ marge ] fiber the fun way, from phillips'.
10:23 am
10:24 am
well, potentially deadly situation forces one astronaut to cut his spacewalk by more than half after an equipment malfunction in outer space caused him to nearly drown inside of his own suit. it's an incredible story. trace has more for us in los angeles. >> yeah. we all know, martha, the spacewalks have become kind of routine when you're out there. every astronaut knows when they step out of that capsule or
10:25 am
space station, even the smallest nick in their spacewalk can mean instant death. his name is luca parmitano, he was on a 6 1/2 hour spacewalk. he was an hour and a half in when he felt water on his hands and the back of his head. the water was listen to him now try to figure out what the problem is. >> it might not be the water vent. there's no other place for it to come. unless it's sweat or urine. >> how much can i sweat, though? >> my hand is really wet. i am feeling it is increasing. >> how much can you sweat? he knew it was definitely increasing over his eyes and then his nose and then his mouth. in zero gravity, the water kind of pools like a big blob. it's not like you can step back inside the capsule or the station and pop his helmet off. it took 24 minutes to get him
10:26 am
back inside. you see another 11 minutes to get his helmet off. nasa says he could easily have drowned but he was very calm the entire time. listen. >> we can imagine, you know, you're in a fishbowl. so go stick your head in a fishbowl and try to walk around. that's not anything you take lightly. certainly, it's dangerous already and he did a great job of just keeping calm and cool and getting his way back to the airlock. >> did he ever. about a gallon of water actually seeped inside his helmet. still unclear if it came from the cooling system or his drinking system. as you might imagine, martha, nasa wants to figure that out before they send somebody outside again to have the same thing happen all over again. >> wow. scary story. glad he made out okay. trace, thank you very much. also today, there are new developments with a man who lost more than his memory during a bout of apparent amnesia.
10:27 am
he awoke from an unconscious state unable to recognize his own face and speaking only swedish? bizarre story. that's coming up. also, how about this. rolling stone magazine is getting hammered by critics today for what some of them call the rock star treatment that was given to one of the boston bombing suspects on their cover. just breaking -- one major store chain will not carry that rolling stone issue. also this. america's top law man is attacking a self-defense statute that's been on the books in some 30 states. today, attorney general eric holder's former communication's director joins us. he will go head to head with second amendment defender lars larson over the stand-your-ground law and the growing outrage over this law from civil rights leaders in the wake of the george zimmerman trial. >> these laws try to fix something that was never broken. >> you respect the right of
10:28 am
citizens to deal with the legislation of stand your ground. we cannot have our sons and daughters' lives on the line for anybody that wants to pursue them, follow them and kill them and say if it's self-defense. [ male announcer ] this is george.
10:29 am
the day building a play set begins with a surprise twinge of back pain... and a choice. take up to 4 advil in a day or 2 aleve for all day relief. [ male announcer ] that's handy. ♪
10:30 am
10:31 am
a fox news alert now.
10:32 am
back to our top story. in the new fallout in the debate over the zimmerman verdict. the reverend al sharpton and jesse jackson firing up the crowd at the naacp convention in florida today. vowing to continue pushing for hate crime charges. listen. >> we didn't come and interfere with the trial. we didn't come one day because we respected due process. but now you respect the right of this family to pursue civil rights legislation and the civil rights investigation and you respect the right of citizens to deal with the legislation of stand your ground. we cannot have our sons and daughters' lives on the line for anybody that wants to pursue them, follow them and kill them and say if it's self-defense. >> jonathan sar is live at the naacp convention. jonathan? >> hi, trace.
10:33 am
although there are many issues at the naacp convention, the trial of george zimmerman really rose to one of the top talking points. even though a jury found him not guilty of murder or manslaughter. many of the attendees believe racial profiling led zimmerman to follow and confront what he thought was a suspicious person leading to the fatal shooting of 17-year-old trayvon martin. listen. >> the fog of trayvon has ripped -- this drives the agendas for social justice. >> also speaking at the convention, attorney general eric holder who said the justice department is still investigating the 2012 shooting. he also criticized stand-your-ground laws in florida and other states which he says may encourage violence rather than preventing it. listen. >> separate and apart from the case that has drawn the nation's attention, it's time to question laws that senselessly expand the
10:34 am
concept of self-defense and dangerous conduct in our neighborhoods. >> the nra responded to holder in this written statement. "the attorney general fails to understand that self-defense is not a concept. it's a fundamental human right." that statement goes on to criticize the obama administration for using tragedy to further its political agenda. trace? >> jonathan serrie live in orlando. jonathan, thank you. martha? >> well these stand your ground self-defense laws that the attorney general challenged are currently on the books in several states. here to change lars larson, a syndicated radio host on compass media networks and matt miller, a former aide to eric holder and former spokesman for the doj. welcome to both of you. good to have you here.
10:35 am
>> thank you. >> my first question has to do with the fact that the stand-your-ground law which we heard quite a bit about in the lead-up to the trial played no role in the actual trial. it was not something that the jury took into consideration. so why is there so much attention on this now? >> well, if you look at what the attorney general said yesterday, i don't think he was questioning its use in court. what he was really saying was two points. one, that the stand-your-ground laws try to address a problem that doesn't exist. there exists a right to self-defense and that's what we saw george zimmerman evoke at his trial. secondly, even before trial, what there is a real concern about is that stand-your-ground laws encourage people to behave recklessly, encourage people to carry guns when they don't need to carry guns. they encourage them to shoot those guns when simply walking away would be a safer option. they generally increase violence instead of reducing violence.
10:36 am
>> are there -- pardon me for the delay. i'm in london. it's weird. i apologize for that to everybody at home as well. lars, are there a lot of examples where this law has led to violence and rampant use of guns that wasn't justified? >> matt is ignoring the fact that there is no factual back after the attorney general's false assertion that these laws cause an expansion of violence or cause the situations to happen. 30 of these states have this law and matt is shortchanging the american public. he says you have the right to self-defense. he's right about that. stand-your-ground laws say you don't have a duty to retreat and they offer you some protection. because many people who lawfully defend themselves find themselves the subject of civil suits later on for defending themselves against a criminal. matt should tell you about. did the oj study done about 15 years ago that estimates the number of defenses gun uses by americans at 2.5 to 3 million instances per year.
10:37 am
that means you have millions of americans who pull a gun out, point it at a bad guy and make the bad guy stop his criminal activity against them. that's what the department of justice says. to take away the stand-your-ground laws a bridges the rights of americans to protect themselves without having to be sued later on. >> lars, the question to you. let me ask you this, though. when you look at the fact that the outcome of this case is as it is and that they didn't use the stand-your-ground law. they used basic self-defense in this situation. so does that, in any way some might argue, i'm going back to matt in a moment. argue that they're not necessary? that self-defense is enough? >> but they are necessary because too often citizens find themselves in a situation where they're second-guessed after the fact. not on the cold night when they're defending themselves. but by a prosecutor saying you should have backed up, you should have retreated. of course, zimmerman didn't have the opportunity to back up or
10:38 am
retreat because he had a 17-year-old football player sitting on top of him beating his head into the ground. these laws are very, very important. let me point out some factual information. ask matt to refute it. in florida, the number of concealed handgun licenses is up dramatically and the amount of crimes committed with guns is down dramatically. that's been in just the last two years. if these laws cause escalations and cause these things to happen, why is that not borne out by the facts in florida? >> let's give matt an opportunity to respond to that. >> violent crime is increasing across the country for years for a host of reasons. but actually, in florida since the stand your ground law there passed, justifiable homicides have gone up. i think increased three-fold. they are being used more. the question is, do these people need to be shooting first and asking questions later? lars said you'll be second-guessed after the fact
10:39 am
you shot someone. absolutely. that's the way the justice system works. you should be second-guessed. you have to find out whether it's justified or wasn't. that always existed and always will. the real question is whether these laws are encouraging people to behave violently when there's no need for violence. i think it's a real question we need to look at. >> martha, martha, i can't believe this guy used to be the doj spokesman. violent crime overall in the united states has been down over the last 30 years, matt. it's not up. it's down. in florida, if you have more instances of justifiable use of firearms, that's appropriate. when a good guy or a good gal pulls a gun out and ends up shooting a bad guy who is about to rape, rob or murder him or her had, that's not a bad thing, matt. that's a good thing. we need laws that support that. the more the criminals know that they're likely to end up at the point of a gun if they commit a crime against somebody, the less likely they are to commit a violent crime. what's wrong with that? >> all right. >> matt, let me ask you about
10:40 am
this, matt. the initial thing that we've had out of the administration is that the jury has spoken. that it's time to move on. now, we're hearing something very different. we're hearing that the department of justice is collecting tips on this case, that they're going to pursue perhaps or open to the possibility pursuing civil rights charges against george zimmerman in this case. is that helpful in terms of taking away the right lessons from this case? >> well, they have a duty to investigate. they actually open this investigation before the state brought its case. it's been open for some time. i think they've been deferred to the state as they brought their charges. they have a duty to see that investigation to its natural conclusion. that's what they're doing. they'll take tips as they do in any investigation or anyone who has them, is willing to bring them forward. i think at the the end of the day, there's high burden for federal civil rights charges. it's unlikely to be met. you're unlikely to see a prosecution. they have the duty and
10:41 am
obligation to investigate the case fully and report to the family and other people that they've done so. >> martha? >> very quickly. we got to go live. real quick. >> the fbi has already informed the doj, interviewed dozens of people and found not one iota of race in this instance. >> that is correct. >> there's no reason to continue this jihad against george zimmerman. >> all right. gentlemen, thank you. matt miller, thank you for being here today. lars larson thanks to you as well. coming up here, rock star status for the accused boston bomber? up next, we're going to show you the magazine cover that now has one store saying huh-uh, we will not carry this issue. plus, growing problems with the president's health care plans as house lawmakers vote to delay another big piece of its overhaul. we're going to look at what it means for patients at the top of the hour. >> we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in
10:42 am
it away from the fog of the controversy. [ tap ] [ tap ] ♪ 'cause tonight [ tap ] ♪ we'll share the same dream ♪ ♪ at the dark end of the street ♪ ♪ ♪ you and me ♪ you and me ♪ you and me ♪ it's hard to describe, because you have a numbness, but yet you have the pain like thousands of needles sticking in your foot. it was progressively getting worse, and at that point i knew i had to do something. once i started taking the lyrica the pain started subsiding. [ male announcer ] it's known that diabetes damages nerves. lyrica is fda approved to treat diabetic nerve pain. lyrica is not for everyone. it may cause serious allergic reactions
10:43 am
or suicidal thoughts or actions. tell your doctor right away if you have these, new or worsening depression, or unusual changes in mood or behavior. or swelling, trouble breathing, rash, hives, blisters, changes in eyesight including blurry vision, muscle pain with fever, tired feeling, or skin sores from diabetes. common side effects are dizziness, sleepiness, weight gain and swelling of hands, legs and feet. don'drink alcohol while taking lyrica. don't drive or use machinery until you know how lyrica affects you. those who have had a drug or alcohol problem may be more likely to misuse lyrica. ask your doctor about lyrica today. it's specific treatment for diabetic nerve pain.
10:44 am
10:45 am
who can forget that moment. so eerie and awful. now there's new outrage after the bombing of the boston marathon as an iconic magazine seems to glorify one fts men accused of killing one of the americans and injuring 200 others. the face of dzhokhar tsarnaev is plastered on the front of rolling stone magazine. one major store chain refused to carry the copy. trace gallagher has more in l.a. trace? >> that major chain martha is cvs drugstore saying they will not carry the issue of rolling stone out of respect to the
10:46 am
victims of the boston bombing. what has everyone upset and baffled is the picture and the layout more specific of the picture. take a look at this. you can see that it looks very much like a bob dylan picture or jim morrison on the right. the question many are asking is why the magazine is making him look like a teen heartthrob instead of a terrorist and alleged killer. critics point out that rolling stone is doing what terrorists hope. send a dangerous message to any twisted supporters and he does have supporters who believe that he is innocent. rolling stone says the article is "a riveting and heartbreaking account of how a charming kid with a bright future became a monster." people in boston say if "rolling stone" wanted a heartbreaking account, they should have put a victim on the cover and show how it hurt their families. this has created a firestorm online and not been kind to rolling stone. one saying, writing a story
10:47 am
about dzhokhar is one one thing. putting the glam shot on the cover is irresponsible. another saying, you are giving horrible people power. why not show the good people who helped that day who deserve to be recognized. disgraceful. and the people of boston are also weighing in. listen. >> i don't approve it. it's not true to who he is. at least who we think he is. >> if they want to become famous, if they want to make the cover of a national magazine, no problem, kill somebody. >> yeah. some say that rolling stone had a limited number of pictures to use, which is why this picture appeared in other publications. others saying, totally unacceptable. with more on this, let's bring in mideast journalist and fox news contributor lisa dak tar i. you heard that dr. hook song, cover of the rolling stone, get my picture on the cover, buy five copies for my mother.
10:48 am
it's a big deal for rock stars to be on the cover of rolling stone. if you put that picture up of jim morrison and bob dylan and dzhokhar tsarnaev, it is uncanny, the layout. because it is almost identical in the way it's presented. >> right. that's absolutely the awful and insensitive message that's being portrayed here is that you could have a musical hit or aterrist hit and you'll be on the cover of rolling stone. as yyou said, it's a coveted position. this is not a conservative or a liberal issue. it's an american issue. this was a very un-american move by "rolling stone" magazine. i'm not going to question the value or integrity of the article. this might be an important interview to understand how he was radicalized and how we can prevent future young people from being radicalized as he was. but to portray him like this on the cover, what kind of message
10:49 am
is that sending? you know, this goes -- hits at the heart of, contradicts the obama administration's view on terrorism. obama has said many times, the war on terror is over, osama bin laden was captured. i mean, if that's the case, we're calling these recent terrorists lone wolves or independent radicalized individuals, well, then it's our responsibility, therefore, to monitor media, social media. our universities and to prevent future young people like this young man from becoming radicalized. >> and we brought that up, lisa. you know the mideast. you've covered the area and you know journalism. we're not saying the article isn't important because they've done good investigative journalism in the past. this might be as well a very enlightening article about this young man. but the question is, is the taste and how you lay it out and it's got people outraged with good purpose and it really goes
10:50 am
to the heart of what you were saying, there are people who will say that this is exactly what terrorists want. they want this kind of publicity so that they can create more of a this publicity to create more of a following. >> that's exactly the point. the way it's par trayed, which is the issue. in the aftermath of 9/11, if you look back over a decade ago, this country had a weakening and understanding we have a new ideological ideological threat on our soil and people became aware and wanted to know more and we've since gone very far from that and almost too far from that almost overcompensating for fear of being islamiyah phobic the political correctness leads us to put a national terrorist on the cover of a magazine like this? sn>> i have to go. lisa, thank you very much. >> pleasure. >> moments ago, the white house was charged to make a statement
10:51 am
to the recent death threats to the zimmerman family and we'll show you the response. and a florida man who woke up unconscious in a palm springs hotel with no memory of who he is, the ability only to speak swedish, next. i don't always have time to eat like i should. and the more i focus on everything else, the less time i have to take care of me. that's why i like glucerna shakes. they have slowly digestible carbs to help minimize blood sugar spikes. glucerna products help me keep everything balanced. [ golf clubs clanking ] [ husband ] i'm good! well, almost everything. [ male announcer ] glucerna. delicious shakes and bars. helping people with diabetes find balance.
10:52 am
10:53 am
10:54 am
it's a very uncomfortable experience. >> the 90s is bad. this is a killing stage. >> we're right now in the grips of a heat wave. warnings and advisories with temperatures feeling like we're well into the triple digits. david lee miller pulled the short straw today, sweating it out in central park. hi, david lee. >> reporter: hi, martha.
10:55 am
temperatures have been creeping up. right now, it is 90 degrees in central park. it does feel much warmer than that thanks to the humidity. the record in 1953, 100 degrees. we're told it is unlikely we are going to break that record. as for the city of new york, the emergency phone number, 911, is reporting there's been a spike in the number of calls for heat related problems. here at new york central park, many continue to enjoy the weather. take a look behind me. you can see the recreational bike riders here and also see the pedi-cab bike riders, people who make their living by taking tourists around the park. both the recreational bicyclists and ones trying to earn a buck say they're doing the best they can to cope with these comparatively high temperatures. >> you get used to it. you have to work. most of us are students and have to pay for college. >> it's hard. i try to get hydrated and stay in the shade as much as possible. but i have to run all year.
10:56 am
that's how you do it. no days off. >> reporter: the city has opened up about 400 cooling centers and for those more creative, there's an increased number of people who are going to the movies not to see the latest flick but because they want to enjoy the air-conditioning. there are a number of shoppers in this city staying cool by going shopping. there's a store in new york city uptown. we have video of this. the store itself is a giant refrigerator, at least half the store is. some shoppers in there are given cold weather parkas while they shop. many say they don't mind, one way to try and stay cool as this heat wave continues. m martha. >> shopping and movies, sounds like a good way to beat the heat. thank you very much. just ahead. we have breaking news on a new effort going on to change the president's health care overhaul. congressional black caucus attacked what they said was a judicial system stacked against
10:57 am
young men like trayvon martin and we'll show you what they're planning next. sunday, i was at the naacp and i do know they're pushing it. over, what, a year and a half ago, i asked them to investigate and they're looking at it, but the main situation -- wait a sec!
10:58 am
i found our colors. we've made a decision. great, let's go get you set up... you need brushes... you should check out our workshops... push your color boundaries while staying well within your budget walls.
10:59 am
i want to paint something else. more saving. more doing. that's the power of the home depot. glidden premium interior paint, arts at a new lower price at $18.94 a gallon.
11:00 am
fox news alert. new fallout from the george zimmerman verdict as the government signals it will aggressively pursue possible civil rights charges against a man the jury just cleared of any wrongdoing in that case. that's how we start a brand new hour of "america live." i'm in for megyn kelly and also awaiting the heir to the british throne. i'm trace gallagher at the breaking news for los angeles moments ago we saw a new challenge for the white house in the aftermath of this controversial case. a reporter of the daily briefing challenging the press secretary about the recent death threats
11:01 am
of the zimmerman family. >> because of the death threats being received by george zimmerman and his parents, this is president going to take any action for their security or are they on their own? >> well, i think thi would refe to florida authorities. i'm not aware of that story, but the president has called for, echoing the statements of trayvon martin's family, for calm reflection in the wake of the verdict and that continues to be his position. he certainly would oppose any violence of any kind. >> so they're on their own? >> wendell golar is live at the white house where the obama administration is dealing controversy that keeps on getting bigger. >> reporter: well, trace, it continues unresolved, shall we say. obviously the white house rejecting the suggestion george zimmerman and his family are on
11:02 am
their own. the question here involves the stand your go around laws and the president -- the white house and attorney general holder's call for a debate about whether or not they actually lead to more violence than they prevent. they have both the white house and attorney general holder called for a debate about this. today, press secretary, jay carney, made clear that's a debate best held at the state level by the legislatures that enacted these laws. here's a bit of what carney had to say. >> an ongoing discussion under way about specific state and it's laws but i think that the discussion, in the president's view, ought to be engaged in other states across the country. simply out of good sense. that the laws we see on the books ought to be reviewed and examined with an eye towards whether or not they reduce the problem with gun violence or
11:03 am
invert tently make it worse. i'm not passing judgment on any particular law, i'm simply saying and echoing the president's views here, we should certainly examine those laws and examine them with the goal in mind here, which is to reduce gun violence. >> the president is under the white house or shall we say the government more accurately is under pressure from civil rights leaders, including reverend al sharpton, to lodge civil rights charges against zimmerman. sharpton insisting that h his -- that trayvon martin's civil rights were violated. but the justice department officials say it's not at all clear that this can be pursued under the civil rights act. they also have concerns about what they call success at federal prosecution after a state court has spoken. the president made clear, we have a verdict here that we must
11:04 am
accept. the congressional black caucus taking a slightly more nuanced approach, asking the justice department to conduct a thorough investigation whether civil rights laws apply in this case. the white house says very specifically that the decision will be made by justice department prosecutors, not officials here at the white house, not political appointees. trac trace. >> wendell goler live at the white house. the department of justice is soliciting information that could help it bring new charges against george zimmerman. imagine for a moment you're a lawyer whose client was just acquitted of second degree murder, he's already been cleared by an fbi investigation in allegations of racism and now the doj launches a new effort to find dirt on this guy. ah they're idol la responds to the doj request for help with the zimmerman probe. coming up.
11:05 am
another fox news alert as the house gets ready to vote to delay two key parts of the health care overhaul. it's the latest challenge as problems snowball for the president's signature legislative achievement. from reports of skyrocketing insurance rates to new concerns about fraud that have surfaced as well and yet some still to be established exchanges that are central to this entire program. chief washington correspondent, james rose sn joins us live fro washington. >> reporter: by early evening we expect to see two votes on the gop controlled house floor. the first would enshrine in law the one year delay that the obama administration has now given to employers with more than 50 workers to comply with the obama-care mandate they provide health insurance or face a penalty. the second vote would extend that same one year grace period to individuals to comply with a mandate they purchase health insurance or pay a penalty. president obama has vowed to
11:06 am
veto both. undaunted the health subcommittee of ways and means grilled a top government official how the one year delay mandate was decided upon. he told lawmakers that delay was decided upon in june and in response to pleas from business owners. republicans say numerous provisions of obama-care are being deferred. they took issue with the treasury official's claim he hadn't been party to any internal discussions about deferring the individual mandate. >> the individual responsibility provisi provision, how it would be affected and how it might int interact, if transition relief was given on the employer responsibility reporting provisions and the other employer requirement, consideration -- >> so there was discussion. there was discussion on it. >> was certainly given. >> there's discussion on it. >> earlier this week, health and human services secretary, kathleen sebelius insisted
11:07 am
despite the individual delays the overall obama-care law is proceeding on schedule. the white house cited an announcement today by new york's democratic governor, andrew cuomo declaring the health care insurance premiums by affected new yorkers with shrink by half next year. >> congress passed the law, the president signed the law. the supreme court upheld the law and we're about the business of implementing the law and making sure it provides the benefits, the many benefits to the american people that they deserve. >> we expect these back to back votes to wrap up just before 6:00 p.m. eastern time. that's roughly midnight your time there in swinging london. am i correct about that, martha? >> you are correct there. thank you very much, james. as we await votes in the house, what do these developments mean politically and how could they affect the president's landmark law as a whole? let's bring in joe trippi, former campaign manager and mr.
11:08 am
rollins who had major roles in campaigns and both these gentlemen have seen their share of major roles and welcome. >> thank you. >> what many would look at in terms of gop action, we've been here 35 times before, efforts to repeal and efforts to delay obama-care and it hasn't gotten them anywhere legislatively. >> this bill couldn't pass today in the house or senate and would not be the law of the land. it is the law of the land. the implementation is very difficult and bottom line, it can't pay for itself. there were a lot of commitments made and formulas put together. the most important formula was all these young 25 year-olds who don't want to pay for health insurance will now be forced to and that will offset those people like myself that are old men and basically will use the health care system. insurance companies basically don't see the formula working. the longer it's delayed the more difficult it will be for it to
11:09 am
come to fruition just for the reasons i laid out. it won't pay for itself and the whole concept of doctors and hospitals getting less fees means in all probability they will take less patients. >> joe, democrats have accepted the fact that this is not working as planned. kathleen sebelius has said it's a lot more complicated than we thought. you heard from senator bachus, this thing is a train wreck. he was on board and helped develop it. is it time for democrats to acknowledge some of the flaws as they head into their own elections and say, look, we need a better plan for practical purposes. >> martha, what's going to happen, it is going to get fixed over time incrementally. there's never been a big program like this that came in without having lots of problems. the medicare part d pharmaceutical program for senior citizens george bush put into effects and it was
11:10 am
complicated and people couldn't figure out how to fill out the forms. it was only 21% favored the program when it first went into effect. today, it's the most popul popular -- one of the most popular medicare programs out there and no party, no politician will touch it. there are always these kinds of problems. ed is absolutely right. you have to have the individual mandate. if guys like me and him don't have 19 and 20 year-olds healthy buying into this system and individually procuring health care for themselves there's no way to pay for it. >> why would they? they're going to be covered until they're 25 anyway. sorry, we're stepping on each other. they're going to be covered until they're 26 under their parents' plan and after that they have no incentive to buy in because they can have a pre-existing condition and get health care anyway. how is that formula ever going to work? >> martha, all those points are right. there's a reason 21 and 22 year-olds don't buy health care, frankly, first of all, because
11:11 am
they don't think they need it. you know, you feel invincible when you're at that age, at least i thought i was. you have a lot of problems. but that's why it's mandated. it's called an individual mandate. that's the one that has to take effect or ed's right, there's no way to fund this thing for -- to make it work. the employer mandate, the one that they extended for a year before it's implemented, really, i think most people don't think will have much effect. that was put there to make employers not able to dump their belie employees off the health care plan they're already on. that has the big fear by extending that and saying employers don't have to keep their yeast employees on it, no mandated is a problem. >> two important points. one is from a political perspective, labor unions are now very upset about this bill because many of their members will have to pay way more than they thought they were and
11:12 am
equally as important you're punishing small business, letting big business off and punishing small business and you will find a lot of people laid off or hours cut in order to make this happen. obviously that's not a good intention at this time in this economic crisis. >> thank you, gentlemen. thank you for weighing in. ed rollins, joe trippi. good to see you both. trace asked a question a moment ago. imagine if you're a lawyer, whose client was just acquitted in a big second degree murder case the whole country watched after being cleared by an fbi investigation over allegations of racism and now the doj has launched a new effort to try to dig up dirt on your client. in three minutes, arthur responds for questions for help from the public to find new clues in the zimmerman probe. plus last minute scheduling shifts for royal relatives on the debate whether or not a royal birth could be imminent here. we'll give you the latest when we come back.
11:13 am
11:14 am
11:15 am
11:16 am
the trayvon martin and george zimmerman, the government is not willing to put the case to rest and they're trying to see if they can bring new civil rights charges against him and the agency will set up an e-mail address for any to bring tips for the investigation despite the fact that the fbi found george zimmerman harbored no racial bias. arthur aidala, a former prosecutor, you look at what's going on. it's very noble to say, you know
11:17 am
what, george zimmerman needs to be punished. not so noble to stand up for this guy and say, look, he went through due process and acquitted and should be left alone. any honest attorney and i know you may not think there are, but there are, any honest attorney or law professor or somebody who knows the law and people who really followed the facts in this case day in and day out, not people who just turned on the news and saw a three minute clip or people who actually watched the evidence and then heard the law and put the evidence and the law together, it really -- and then the fact that the six women took 16 hours to go over the evidence. they were clearly thoughtful. it wasn't like a knee-jerk verdict. that verdict was the right verdict. it was. there was reasonable doubt all over the case. federal cases like these, the best one i think of new york city 20 years ago the crown
11:18 am
heights riot where a jewish man was killed by a black man and there were witnesses sayi saying -- there were people screaming, kill the jew! kill the jew! there's nothing equivalent to that in the zimmerman case. what? because he's wearing a hoodie? that's not -- it's very frustrating. i understand politicians need to do what they need to do but -- >> i hear what you're saying. right now if you stand up for george zimmerman, you kind of do so at your own risk. you watched the coverage. mark o'mara the defense attorney saying this guy should be able to go back and live his own life and another anchor on another network that shall remain nameless said the guy is going through taco bell eating chur ras, and nobody say as word. >> i call it nancy disgrace, she's a disgrace to the legal profession and disgrace to the
11:19 am
journistic profession. i'm not necessarily defending an individual george zimmerman but i am defending the process. i say this time and time again. we may not have the greatest excuse me we may not have a perfect criminal justice system but in my opinion we have the best one. he was judged by a jury of people who are citizens of that state. if this was in a different state, it may have been a different result. these are the circumstances. niece are the tragedies. everyone cry, trace, you're a father, i'm a father, nobody wants their child to be killed with a can of iced tea and bag of skittles headed back to his dad's house. he didn't do anything wrong except, as geraldo has been telling any, he didn't run away from the danger, he came back to the danger. that's what it seems the evidence indicates. that's why everyone is saying, tell your children to run, don't when this irs oblem.
11:20 am
scandal broke and got people so irate, they looked and thought, the government can pick and choose who they go after, that's not the american way. >> called selective. >> the government didn't like the verdict and let's see if we can move the goalpost and change the verdict as defense attorney as well as former prosecutor, it has to give you a little bit of a chill? >> it's disgusting. in their own report you cited two minutes ago says they found nothing specific in there enough to bring some sort of federal crime. federal crimes, federal charges in these types of cases are almost unheard of. the simplest example right now, the boston marathon. notice, he's charged in federal court with certain crimes. in state court with executing the police officer because straight-up murder is a state crime, not a federal crime. i understand the president of the united states is an elected official, he has a constituency he has to apiece to some degree.
11:21 am
he's also a former professor at a law school. at some point, if this goes too far, i would hope the president of the united states puts his law school professor hat back on and doesn't let an additional travesty of justice take place or a travesty of justice take place and have him charged federally. that's not what our system is set up to do. this is not the kind of case that should be in federal court. >> right. fox news legal analyst, arthur aidala. great to see you. >> always great to see you. brand new details on the tragic death of "glee" star cory monteith. the coroner's conclusion on the young star's death is in. plus the congressional black caucus held a news conference a little more than an hour ago complaining how the judicial system treated trayvon martin and vowing to do something about it. that debate is just ahead. >> this system is not working. it's broken. i don't think they have determined what they're going to do but certainly we will be
11:22 am
pushing for them to do a thorough investigation.
11:23 am
11:24 am
11:25 am
we have new developments in the ft. hood murder case. the court-martial is less than three weeks away. 13 people were killed in that mass shooting at the texas army base in 2009. now, a panel has been chosen to finally hear this case. as major nadal hasan plans to defend himself when those proceedings get under way beginning august 6th, he faces 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted murder. hasan has admitted to the shootings. the former army psychiatrist says he was seeking revenge for the killing of taliban leaders
11:26 am
in afghanistan. we are getting new details now on the sudden death of "glee" star cory monteith, the 31-year-old actor was found dead in a vancouver hotel room over the weekend. julie is live with the details on this in our new york city newsroom. >> hi. the british coroner's office made it official, a mixed drug t toxicity which involves mostly heroin and alcohol, a sad end to this talented actor's life. >> the report states mr. monteith died of a mixed drug of heroin and alcohol and they report the findings of our investigators and their beliefs upon initial examination there was no foul play and that this was an overdose and a tragic accident. police believe monteith had been dead several hours before a motel employee discovered him
11:27 am
and said he was alone when he took the heroin. the evidence found in his room was consistent with a drug overdose. monteith had struggled with substance abuse for years and in late march he admitted himself to a rehab facility to seek help for substance addiction but left 30 days later. his on-screen and real life gifford, michelle, who stood by him through his on-screen and real life struggles is now grieving and her publicist said lea is deeply grateful for all the love and support she's nevada from family, friends and fans. since corey's pass iing. lea has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them and they are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together. we continue to ask the media to respect the privacy of lea and cor
11:28 am
cory's family. it's unsure how the show will address his tragic death. one of the most dangerous heat waves we have had this summer on what may have been the hottest day of the year in the northeast. stif stifling heat and humidity where people need to pay close attention to their health and health of their families. at least one member of the congressional black caucus is saying she has no doubt that trayvon martin's civil rights were violated. this, despite the fbi investigation that cleared george zimmerman of any suspicion on that front. >> i see young men of color being sentenced every single day, being given all sorts of agreements that they should not go to trial. we see what has happened to trayvon martin and how the
11:29 am
judicial system was stacked against him. let's play: [ all ] who's new in the fridge! i help support bones... [ ding! ] ...the immune system... [ ding! ] ...heart health... [ ding! ] ...and muscles. [ ding! ] that can only be ensure complete! [ female announcer ] the four-in-one nutrition of ensure complete. a simple choice to help u eat right. [ major nutrition ] nutrition in charge. grrrrreat outdoors,hoice and a great deal.at right. ahhh let's leave the deals to hotels.com. perfect! yep, and no angry bears. up to 30% off. only at hotels.com.
11:30 am
details are really important during four course. i want to make sure that everything is perfect. that's why i do what i . [ male announcer ] it's red lobster's just $14.99. start your feast with a choice of soup, then salad, plus biscuits! next, choose one of nine amazing entrees like new coconut and citrus grilled sim or linguini with shrimp and scallops. then finish with dessert. your four course seafood feast, just $14.99. [ mortazavi ] everything needs to be picture perfect.
11:31 am
i'm rezaculinary manager. and i sea food differently.
11:32 am
fox news weather alert. millions of americans in the grip of the most dangerous heat wave of the summer. factor in the humidity and it feels like 100 degrees or more from the east coast across the mississippi river. right now, heat warnings are in effect for some of the nation's biggest cities.
11:33 am
rick reichmuth is live. a lot of red on that map. >> not just that it's red notice, how long this has been, talking about a six and seven day heat wave for a lot of folks. temps in the mid 90s. notice the 90s in the northern part of this map and the southern part where it should be warmer, only 86 in new orleans. this afternoon, at probably the heat and highest point of temperatures around 4:00, feels like 97 in new york and 101 in d.c. it's incredibly hot. look at what happens over the next seven days across new york city. we have three more days to get through. saturday is when we're going to see the storms move through. then we cool things down nicely when we get towards sunday. that's the case in d.c. and boston and philadelphia. all the big days this sunday to get out. the red across the eastern part of the country and go down towards the southwest and only 75 in el paso and 71 in
11:34 am
albuquerque, due to this big system bringing a lot of really needed rain across areas of new mexico and texas. this part of the map, areas of new mexico and texas is where we see the highest drought we have anywhere in the country at this point. ranchers across this area, happy to get this rain. might be a little too much too quickly. flooding concerns in this area. trace, especially across areas of the southwest, this is when they can get rain and this is the season and they will take it. >> they will take it. rick, thank you. martha. back now to our big story from last hour. the congressional black caucus holding a news conference in which it attacked the verdict in the george zimmerman trial and announced that the cbc will need to do what is next in the wake of that not guilty verdict. here is some of what they had to say. watch this. >> i personally know what happens when our judicial system is not diverse.
11:35 am
because i see young men of color being sentenced every single y day, being given all sorts of agreements that they should not go to trial. we see what has happened to trayvon martin and how the initial system was stacked against him. >> i was at the naacp and i do know that they're pushing it. over what a year and a half ago i asked them to investigate. and they're looking at it. but the main situation is that we do know that mr. martin's civil rights have been violated. we do know that. >> i don't think they have determined what they're going to do, but certainly we will be pushing for them to do a there or rogue investigation. when people see a young
11:36 am
african-american shot down and not guilty and a black female, all of them in my district, both of them in my district, shoot one and shot and get 20 years, it is clear that the system is broken. >> she says that the system is broken. let's have a discussion about this really important discussion going on right now. let's bring in jason riley from the "wall street journal" and daily both columnist, both folk news contributors. jason, you wrote a very powerful piece in the "wall street journal" i think will be controversial as well. and in it, you say that the left wants to blame black criminality on racial ann imous clearly we just heard from both of these women. that blacks have long been part of running that system and you blame them in part.
11:37 am
>> that's right. i think if the black leadership from president obama on down wants to play a constructive role here, and this is what i think is driving a lot of these protests going on around the country, this perception that black male, this perception of black male criminality played a role in this case. we have no evidence from the case itself that it did. but if you were of the opinion that it did, that trayvon martin's race or how he was dressed played some role, then the black community could address what is driving those perceptions of black criminality? what is driving them is hard statistical data that shows that blacks commit a staggeringly disproportionate number of crimes in this country, for instance, blacks are about 13% of the population yet responsible for half of all murders. that is what needs to be addressed. if we want to change perceptions of black criminality, we need to change the behavior of the young
11:38 am
black men disproportionately responsible for this crime. that requires having an honest discussion within the black community, between black leaders and parents and children and so forth and being honest about making behavioral changes that will therefore change perceptions. >> yeah. what jason has gotten that in this piece, kirsten is if black leaders hope to change that perception -- everyone agrees what happened to trayvon martin was a tragedy. the death of this young man is something that everyone grieves. if you're going to start talking about the larger issues and these women are arguing the larger issue is racism is still rampant in this country, that he was stereotyped. jason argues leaders need to look into why that would be and answer that question in a much more realistic way starting at the top. what do you think? >> i'm listening to both of you keep referring to black criminality. there was no black criminality
11:39 am
in this incident. the person who did the killing was george zimmerman. trayvon martin did not commit any crime or do anything that could be construed as a crime. i think what e i heard these members of congress talking about what they see as unfair or disproportionate or racist perhaps way black men are treated by the judicial system and they're not getting a fair shake. that's something i have a hard time disagreeing with. i don't know how any can disagree with it. i think jason raises some important issues in his column but i don't think that's what these members of congress are talking about. they specifically brought up sentencing and there's no question black men are sentenced to longer sentences than white men are, the u.s. commission found that, 20% longer for the exact same crime. those are the issues that need to be looked at around this, did george zimmerman get off on this basically -- they didn't technically use stand your go around but the jury used that language, one jury instructions
11:40 am
used that language because he was an african-american man and we assume he must have been up to no good. >> given everyone from the prosecution on down says race was not a role here and given that the verdict was acquittal, there's a very high hurdle for the justice department. now, maybe the congressional black caucus has some smoking gun tape that no one's seen where judge zimmerman yelled "die black man" right before he pulled the trigger. barring that, i think there is a very high hurdle for the justice department to clear in order for these charges, if they bring them, to go anywhere. but, christen to the point the criminal justice system is ra racist one of the conversations being discussed in the wake of this verdict, i'm of the opinion the criminal justice system reflects the black crime rates. it is not their cause. that's the problem here, with the black leadership today
11:41 am
wanting to blame other people for the problems in the black community. i think the black community needs to take a hard look at it's own behavior. again, if you are of the opinion that perceptions of black criminality led to what happened to trayvon martin, i'm not arguing that that was the case, but there are a lot of people out there who are saying that is the case. if you hold that view, then there are ways to go forward and have an honest conversation about what drives those perceptions. they're not only perceptions by whites. remember jesse jackson's famous quote, when i look behind me in a dark alley and see white people, i feel relieved. these are not just perceptions coming from whites, they're coming from law abiding blacks and based on black behavior and that is what we need to address. >> it's a very interesting conversation. kirsten, i understand your point and where you're coming from and i also understand jason's point. i think if there are larger
11:42 am
implications to be drawn from this case. we all have an understanding and understand the tensions that surround this case and passion and grief for this young man but if the larger lesson to be learned here, does it include things the president brought up himself in speeches he made up early on, we're not a white america, not a black america, we're the united states of america. he spoke in those early speeches as well about the importance of parenting in the black community, the need for fathers in the black community. some of these things are themes we have not heard him continue to hammer home very forcefully in the subsequent years of his presidency. kirsten, and then i'd like to get jason's thoughts on that as well. >> i think the president has actually talked about it quite a bit and i will give him credit for it. it's not really his job. i don't know how many other presidents have talked as much about that. he in fact got in trouble for doing it at moore house. sometimes the african-american community doesn't particularly like it. what's being missed is the
11:43 am
argument being made by the naacp, which is that because it was a young black man and because, i guess, there's this perception we're supposed to accept it was okay to think the was a criminal or something. i'm trying to snuff out what is the argument here, then people understand it more that george zimmerman should have been in fear for his life versus the other case of marissa alexander, which was alluded to in the clip you have an african-american woman denied using stand your go around and is not allowed -- the jury would not consider that as a defense when she fired a warning shot against an abusive husband. >> no one is saying trayvon martin is a criminal in this case, what jason is referring to, if you're saying because it's perception he must be a criminal. >> i don't agree with that but i keep hearing people saying. >> we have 30 seconds and obviously we need three hours. jason, go ahead, i want you to have the last word here. >> i think, like i said, the prosecution said race wasn't an issue here. the family, trayvon martin's
11:44 am
family even said, before the verdict, race wasn't a factor. that has to make you believe that it is a result of the verdict that they are now looking at a different angle at trying to go after george zimmerman. that's not our system. that is not the way it should be. >> i don't mean to cut you off. i apologize. i have a delay and i will take a quick break. thank you both very much for being here. we'll be right back. ...
11:45 am
for the small and the tall. for the strong and the elegant. for the authentic. for at home and on the go. for pessimists and optimists. for those who love you a little and those who love you a lot. for ultimate flavor and great refreshment with or without calories. for carefree enjoyment. for those who have a lot to say and those who have nothing to add. for those who want to choose and choose. for every generation. for us. for everyone. forever.
11:46 am
humans. even when we cross our "ts" and dot our "i's", we still run into problems. that's why liberty mutual insurance offers accident forgiveness with our auto policies. if you qualify, your rates won't go up due to your first accident. because making mistakes is only human, and so are we. we also offer new car replacement, so if you total your new car, we'll give you the money for a new one. call liberty mutual insurance at... and ask us all about our auto features, like guaranteed repairs, where if you get into an accident
11:47 am
and use one of our certified repair shops, the repairs are guaranteed for life. so call... to talk with an insurance expert about everything that comes standard with our base auto policy. and if you switch, you could save up to $423. liberty mutual insurance -- responsibility. what's your policy? well, we are in london, as you know and the duke and duchess of cambridge are spending quality time together as they wait for the birth of their first child, they're riding out the heat at her parents house which has air-conditioning, which is nice. the media remains camped out in front of the hospital where the baby is expected to be born. but even the queen, queen elizabeth is getting a bit impatient. listen to this.
11:48 am
>> an author and commentator and entertainment reporter, straight from the queen's mouth. sounds like she feels like everybody else. >> exactly. you have to love the queen, 87 years old, still out there on her walk abouts but very much looking forward to her annual holiday in scotland. we're waiting for her royal highne highness, prince and princess and the baby couldn't come soon enough for them. >> there's an interesting debate going on in your home country. it comes from a decision by the government to try to encourage women to go back to work. they're giving a tax incentive, in some cases, 3,000 pounds, in order to encourage women back to work. there's been a backlash by traditional stay-at-home moms
11:49 am
saying, where's my bit of tax credit for the work that i do at home and why would you be discouraging something that might not be the best thing for some families? do you see kate potentially, as discussed here, as becoming sort of a role model for the traditional stay-at-home mom? >> reporter: i'm not so sure about that. that age-old debate working women have, stay at home with the baby or not. us austerity britain, very tough times and they're trying to get people off entitlements and back to work. the royal family is good at keeping the fine line of popular opinion. the public wants to see kate as a stay-at-home mom and she will go back to royal engagements in 3 1/2 months time but will be the most hands-on mother we have ever really seen in the royal family. no talk of a family at the moment. we know kate's mother, carol, will be very much involved. if there is anybody that can
11:50 am
rock public opinion, in the royal family, it will be kate. >> it will be interesting to see how outspoken she becomes. she has been fairly quiet. she is a royal who has not really put a foot wrong, far. do you expect her to start to have a bigger voice in any way? >> i'm not so sure about that. the queen mother was actually expert being a little bit mysterious. that helps because you can project on to that personality. and you can believe what you wanted. it's very good to keep it real but also keeping it royal at the same time. this is a woman that awareness designer bronze and she was wearing a top short maternity dress. and she is very good at keeping real but keeping it royal as well. >> just like you. thank you very much. >> coming up why william and
11:51 am
kate has decided to raise their children away from buckingham palace when we come back. hey! did you know that honey nut cheerios has oats that can help lower cholesterol? and it tastes good? sure does! wow. it's the honey, it makes it taste so... well, would you look at the time... what's the rush? be happy. be healthy. diarrhea, gas, bloating? yes! one phillips' colon health probiotic cap each day helps defend against these digestive issues
11:52 am
with three strains of good bacteria. live the regular life. phillips'.
11:53 am
11:54 am
♪ ♪ ♪ future heir to the british throne will not grow up in the palace where the queen lives. instead they have decided to raise their child at the smaller kensington palace for a significant reason. i had a chance to swing by there with for a quick peek. >> this is kensington palace steeped in royal history. queen victoria was a young girl here. she ran around in her gowns. princess margret was sort of a royal middleton at the time.
11:55 am
and princess diana who loved this place referred to it as kp. she and her husband, prince charles raised her young boys and she reflected on the years as very happy. she stayed here after the divorce on her own in the apartments behind me. it's somewhat of a royal neighborhood. there is a courtyard in the middle. lots of royals live here so it's not surprise that prince william that could have choice of any of the palaces he decided to raise his child here. you can see the pal sas undergoing a bit of renovation. they spent $1.5 million on the apartment behind me there. they are scheduled to move in the fall. so the royal heir, future king or queen of england will always look back the years they spent as a child in a four story 21 room apartment humbly known as apartment
11:56 am
1-a. >> that is not what we think of apartment a back home in new york. it's quite an impressive place. they did spend quite a bit of money, most of it as they say at their own expense. they do bring in a ton of money. it's expected the royal birth will bring in $400 million in tourism anuvenirs that people will pick up even more than the royal wedding brought in. so there is always that even those that sort of grouch about the royal family do accept they do bring in a lot of money is the bottom line. this royal event we wait for and kensington palace when it was thought that a royal helicopter was landing there and turned out to be nothing but everybody is anxiously awaiting the big news. we'll take a quick break and we'll be right back.
11:57 am
11:58 am
11:59 am
>>. from london tonight where
12:00 pm
it is now 8:00 p.m. i'm martha mccallum. studio "b" gets started with shepard smith. >> shep: thanks so much. the news begins anew and some questions in congress today for the head of the internal revenue service. it's about tax agency targeting of conservative groups. that as some lawmakers the scandal may reach higher than anybody first realized. then if more folks, we are looking for buzz, they got it. along outrage. the cover photo of the surviving bombing suspect is meant to give sympathy to a monster. are you sick of your cellphone. your bill may even get bigger. we'll tell you about the new fees you might not know you are paying and what you can do to fight back. that is all ahead unless breaking news changes everything on

107 Views

1 Favorite

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on