Skip to main content

tv   Hannity  FOX News  July 18, 2013 6:00pm-7:01pm PDT

6:00 pm
definitely looking out for you. welcome to hannity tonight. it's a jam-packed edition. in a few minutes i'll be joined by hillary sheldon, the naacp's washington bureau director. surrounding the shooting death of trayvon martin. the fallout from this tragedy has reached each and every corner of america, that includes washington, d.c., now particularly following saturday's acquittal of george zimmerman. on monday, illinois democrat called on the house judiciary committee to hold hearings on the case. he released a statement that read in part, quote, when any child is gunned down and no one
6:01 pm
goes to jail it's incumbent on lawmakers at the highest level to investigate whether justice has been done. also this week the attorney general of the united states said yet again his department is investigating whether civil rights charges should be filed against zimmerman. but beyond hearings and investigations, a number of lawmakers are calling for new legislation to be pass thad they say would prevent future shooting deaths, however, one house republican is accusing some of politicizing tragedy for gain. he says it starts at the top. >> my sympathies go out to the martin family and the zimmerman family. the justice department engaged this. the president engaged this and turned it into a political issue that should have been handled exclusively with the law and order. >> now, of course, the shooting death of trayvon martin was an issue lawmakers in washington have talked about from the
6:02 pm
moment the tragedy happen. for example, do you remember this? >> racial profiling has to stop, mr. speaker. just because someone wears a hoodie does not make them a hoodlum. the bible teaches us, mr. speaker, and the -- >> the member will suspend -- the member will -- show your man -- >> the member will suspend -- >> and joining me now are the two lawmakers you just heard from. republican congressman steve king and democrat congressman rush. you said in that piece a profile has to stop. just because someone wear as hoodie doesn't make them a hoodlum. do you have any evidence in the zimmerman case that proves that or suggests that?
6:03 pm
>> well, yes. trayvon martin was not a crimin criminal, had not been charged at all with a crime, but yet we all would agree he's a young dead black boy, teenager, who was killed by a guy who did not -- was not a law enforcement officer and did not attempt to arrest him at all. but trayvon is lying in his grave now. so -- he -- he was not a hoodlum. there's no indication th. there's not even any accusations that he was a hoodlum. he was an innocent young man
6:04 pm
leaving a convenience store with a hoodie on and with a snack and a soft drink in his hand, and he's dead. >> congressman rush, he broke george zimmerman's nose and he was viewed by an eyewitness ground and pound pounding this guy's head into the cement. you're saying -- i would agree i think there's a misunderstanding but i asked you if you had any evidence that this was about racial profiling and you didn't give me any evidence about that. do you have any evidence on that case? >> well -- well, there is certainly evidence i would consider had i been on the jury. >> what is it? >> all right. and that evidence is that racial profiling exists in this nation, that there are literally thousands of cases of racial profiling in this -- >> do you have any evidence in
6:05 pm
this case? >> in this case, if i had been on the jail or i nink any other reasonable person would have been on the jury, then that certainly would have been some of the experiences that i would have utilized in turning in my decision. >> let mess go to comeman king. congressman, there's no evidence of racial profiling. teen attorney for trayvon martin and the family said this case was not about race, so what do you make of congressional action on this? >> well, i think there's been a lot that's been ginned up here, that's been focused on race and they held a faux hearing that focused race back about a year ago, i guess, trying to gin up prosecution on this. i point out that i know of no federal law against profiling. it needs to be a component of good police work. and the argument has been constantly to try to find a little thread of whatever george zimmerman might have said or
6:06 pm
thought in his life that could be used against him in this prosecution. we can't be punishing what goes on in somebody's head. we can punish the overt act. we can't punish the thought. so here in congress we shouldn't be addressing this. >> steve, that is one of the problems. you cannot -- all right. racial profiling is something that will not -- the evidence has to be a different kind of evidence. >> bobby, you're suggesting then -- >> the mindset of this young -- of zimmerman was clearly established when he was told by the police who do have some authority to stand down. but he refused to stand down. >> well, mr. rush -- congressman, i've got to stop you there. we've got to be accurate. we're giving out the facts of the case. first the operator said, where is he now. and then i interviewed george
6:07 pm
zimmerman. he said as soon as the guy said don't follow him, he was going back to his car and he had a broken nose and trayvon beating him. o you keep kind of glossing over that fact? why? why do you keep glossing over it? >> i'm not glossing over any fact here. the fact is trayvon martin is dead, all right? trayvon martin was accosted by george zimmerman. >> there's no evidence of, that sir. there's no evidence. mr. congressman, there's no evidence. >> an armed man -- trayvon martin -- there is evidence that he's dead. >> we know that. >> there's evidence that george zimmerman had a gun on him. there's evidence that he did in fact confront him, okay? >> what's the evidence he confronted him? >> because there had to be some interaction, all right. >> trayvon martin didn't have zimmerman on his mind.
6:08 pm
>> congressman, we're running out of time. congressman, with all due respect, an eyewitness in this case placed trayvon martin beating the daylights out of zimmerman and we hear these polic pleas, these cries, these screams for help. >> that's tra jek -- if he would have pounded the man, the bruises, the cuts, the scratches on -- >> congressman king. >> -- him would have been much more severe. >> i'm rt aneady any time, sean >> congressman king. >> yes. what i think about this is the facts that we saw and we saw the same facts, sean, and you dug into this more deeply atlanta anyone else in the media, but as i looked at this from the side of the jury and i contemplated it in the context of george
6:09 pm
zimmerman and if you take the fact os testify case, they were in an altercation, it appears that trayvon martin did assault george zimmerman. that's the best testimony we've got. if someone has you down on the ground and they're threatening to kill you and they're saying they're going to end your life and you pull a gun out of a holster and you're threatened to defend yourself, you're going to wonder if you're going go to prison for life. >> sean, no one knows what happens prior to them being on the ground. nobody knows that, so don't just assume that because you have a witness that said that after they were on the ground, they looked out and they saw trayvon -- trayvon, a young 17-year-old man, probably got the best of him, but that -- >> he had a broken nose, so we know how he got on the ground. >> well, we don't know how the nose was broken. we don't know how the nose was
6:10 pm
broken? >> no. no one has testified yet how his nose was broken. >> you think he broke it himself? >> well, he could have broken it when he first surrounded trayvon and grabbed trayvon. he could have hit trayvon's shoulder. >> he could have hit his shoulder and that's how he broke his nose. >> he could have broke his nose on the sidewalk. >> he fell down and broke his nose. >> he might have broke his nose even before he met trayvon. >> even before he met trayvon. >> sean, the jury has rejected all of these arguments that mr. rush is giving right now. they've rejected them now and where the discussion needs to go now is george zimmerman going to be subjected to double jeopardy by the justice department that is appearing to continue to politicize this case. they sent people down from the justice department to florida to gin up dem stralgs to try to bring about a prosecution of george zimmerman. we should not politicize the law and justice system in this country.
6:11 pm
it needs to be objective and it needs to be detached and it should not be part of double jeopardy because of a political move here. >> let me say this. if trayvon martin had been a white teenager and george zimmerman had been a black man, george zimmerman would be in jail today. >> let me ask you a question. does it matter to you, congressman rush. >> no doubt about it, no doubt about it. no doubt about it. >> does it matter to you, congressman rush, there's a majority that know that he tutored black children, took a black woman to a prom? in other words there's no animosity in this man's heart. why do you ignore that? >> there is because this man -- it came out of his mouth. >> what came out of his mouth? what? >> he stereo typed.
6:12 pm
>> what did he say. >> this is what ratio stereotype is all about. >> what did he say? >> because trayvon martin was a young black man with a hood on and he stereotyped him. he said, these guys, they always get away. >> thank you both. >> let me close with this, sean. if i could just get this piece in. >> real quick. >> what happened is a young hispanic man shot a blan man in self-defense, tried by a white women jury and somehow bobby rush thinks it's this man's fault. >> we're out of time. gentlemen, thank you both. >> thanks, sean. coming up next aisle speak live with the naacp director. a quick programming note. be sure to tune in tomorrow
6:13 pm
night. we'll be joined by a studio audience of commentators, legal experts and talk about race in america and the george zimmerman trial. you don't want to miss it tomorrow night live, "hannity audience show. "hope you'll join us. [ female announcer ] it's simple physics... a body at rest tends to stay at rest... while a body in motion tends to stay in motion. staying active can actually ease arthritis symptoms. but if you have arthritis, staying active can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain so your body can stay in motion.
6:14 pm
because just one 200mg celebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief for many with arthritis pain and inflammation. plus, in clinical studies, celebrex is proven to improve daily physical function so moving is easier. celebrex can be taken with or without food. and it's not a narcotic. you and your doctor should balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors such as high blood pressure or when nsaids are taken for long periods. nsaids, like celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions, or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers, which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers. don't take celebrex if you have bleeding in the stomach or intestine, or had an asthma attack, hives, other allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides. get help right away if you have swelling of the face or throat,
6:15 pm
or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history. and find an arthritis treatment for you. visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex. for a body in motion. visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex. thanks, olivia. thank you. so you can make a payment from your cell to almost anyone's phone or email. (speaking french) so you can express your gratitude... in the moment. chase quickpay. so you can.
6:16 pm
welcome back to hannity. back to talk about the rise in america. washington bureau director and
6:17 pm
senior vice president for add voe katy hillary shelton. thank you for being here. >> thank you for having me. >> you don't like the verdict. >> no. there are some real problems with how the case came out. first we're looking at a faulty defense policy in the state of florida. one that allows someone to be stalked, assaulted and shot to death even if unarmed and get away with it. it's a problem with the laws in florida. even if stand your ground had been added, "stand your ground" is a policy that's led to over the last five years an increase in so-called self-defense homicides. our country is moving toward the wild wild west policies. >> you're saying stalked and attacked as if it's absolutely a fact. >> it was a fact sniet wasn't a
6:18 pm
fact presented in the case. i followed this very closely. the facts of the case are george zimmerman is a community watch guy, is he not? if you see somebody in your own neighborhood you don't recognize, would you call the police? >> let's talk about community watch. >> that's not what i asked you. >> community watch policies coming out of the defense department. the naacp watched it very closely. you get community organizations involved in providing greater protection to our neighborhoods. they incluld two policies george zimmerman totally ignore. number one, they're not supposed to engage in it but report them to the police. number two, community watchers are never supposed to be armed at all, what happened in this case. in essence, if he was a community watch captain, he clearly had not read the policies. >> hillaary, it's not illegal t get out of your car if you see something suspicious. i'll read to you from the just
6:19 pm
fightable use of deadly force that and the state of florida. >> and the state of florida. if george zimmerman was not engaged an unlawful activity and he was not, he was punched in the face and ground and pound he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force includeling deadly force if he thought it was necessary to prevent death and great bodily harm to himself and to another. now, that's the law of florida. whether you like it or not, that's the law. that's the law. >> let's take a couple steps back. you said earlier in the show that very well you know george zimmerman had been watching trayvon martin. he had been stalking him. >> that's not stalking. watching is not stalking. >> is stalking not when you're following someone around? >> no. >> he called in to the police after he was following him around. >> he said, where is he now. >> and the police said thanks, we got it. we're sending out a cruiser because the police know that the
6:20 pm
policies for community watch groups are not to intervene. but everyone knows that mr. zimmerman intervened. as a matter of fact, if you look at the testimony of tray vevon martin's girlfriend say, who are you, what are you doing. >> wait. she also said that she believes trayvon punched him first and initiated contact. >> let me ask you this. if trayvon martin is walking along the way and if mr. zimmerman came in and stood in front of him to stop him, most likely put his hands up to say, stop -- >> that's a guess. >> let me say this. if we're on only going go on the guy who shot him to death's testimony, we have a real problem. >> but here's what you're missing. >> you're not putting together -- >> i'm putting it together. i'm looking at the evidence and the jury agreed with me. >> help walk through -- the jury decide on very norway roarrow f.
6:21 pm
the jury was not told -- >> they were told. they were told. there was no denying that. here's what you're missing though. you're missing an important fact. >> i'd love to hear the fact, sean. share with me. >> i'm going to help share with you. >> thank you. >> i think it was a terrible tragedy, hilary. >> there's not a father in america who's not scared to death what just happened to a child. >> i think what you're missing is george zim eman had a right to be there. >> yes, he did. but he did not have a right -- >> hang on. let me finish my -- >> he did not have a right to intervene with trayvon martin. >> but there's no evidence to support that. we know trayvon martin punched him and broke his nose. the one eyewitness. >> sean. >> hang on. the one witness has him bam,
6:22 pm
bam, straddling him on the ground mma style. >> at what point did george zimmerman intervene with trayvon martin? >> let me ask you another question. >> help me with this. >> i'll help you. >> at what point did he walk up and intervene with trayvon martin? >> we'll never know. >> do you believe -- >> wait a minute. you don't know the answer and i don't know the answer. you asked me a question. >> the girlfriend overhaerd -- >> you're like chris matthews. >> thank you so much. he asked him, who are you. >> you're not listening to this part. you asked me a question. >> go ahead and say it please. >> that same woman said yesterday she believed trayvon initiated the fight. nower, here's the problem. george zimmerman is screaming at the top of his lungs with a broken nose and an eyewitness putting trayvon on top beating
6:23 pm
the grab out of him. the question is what the law in florida is. i think it's terrible tragedy. but here's the point. you don't like the verdict and now you want to pressure the president and air holder to go after civil rights violations. as far as i'm concerned that sounds like the people who disagree with the verdict are sore losers and now want to make this guy's life a living hell. >> let me say this. we've got 1.5 million and growing e-mails with people across the country who have real problems with the evidence and how it was applied in this particular case. i hear what you're saying. you and i both heard -- >> i have one last question. >> sure, thank you. go right ahead. >> there were 61 deaths in chicago. 61 during just the time of the zimmerman trial. can you name one person by name that tied in chicago? >> i cannot. i cannot. but i can tell you this. >> doesn't that tell you why --
6:24 pm
i don't want to see kids dying. >> i appreciate this talking point but let me share this with you. >> that's another a talking point. >> share with me a point where someone was shot in chicago and the person was not fully apprehended, they were -- >> why are we not focus that black on black crime is now an epidemic in chicago and a jury acquitted this man and you guys want to go after him because you don't like the verdict. why not focus -- >> sean, i wish you would remember the naacp and remember more about us than you do. >> you don't know the names of one of them. >> let me share something with you. i happen to know this. african-american children between 15 and 19, gun violence is the number one cause of death. will you support gun legislation to support that violence? >> no.
6:25 pm
>> if you look back, you probably know that gun rates went down as a result of it. >> i've got to go. >> actually eliminated the result of it. you're not going to support that. >> no. i think law abiding citizens have a right to protect themselves. but we'll invite you back and get into a deeper discussion. we'll get into a deeper discussion when we have you back. >> even if zimmerman said he was looking for a black person because he knew black person was breaking into the neighborhood. >> that's not true. you're making that up. >> the world was out that some african-americans had robbed a couple of houses. >> coming up -- it was a fact in the neighborhood. it was a fact. is he black, white, or miss f hispanic. >> you should listen. >> coming up next, demonstrations in over a hundred cities are plan for this weekend in what's being called, quote, a day of achlks i'll be joined by one of the organizers.
6:26 pm
karl rove and austan goolsbee straight ahead. my mantra? always go the extra mile. to treat my low testosterone, i did my research. my doctor and i went with axiron, the only underarm low t treatment. axiron can restore t levels to normal in about 2 weeks in most men. axiron is not for use in women or anyone younger than 18 or men with prostate or breast cancer. women, especially those who are or who may become pregnant and children should avoid contact where axiron is applied
6:27 pm
as uneected signs of puberty in children or changes in body hair or increased acne in women may occur. report these symptoms to your doctor. tell your doctor about all medical conditions and meditions. serious side effects could include increased risk of prostate cancer; worsening prostate symptoms; decreased sperm count; ankle, feet or body swelling; enlarg or painful breasts; problems breathing while sleeping; and blood clots in the legs. common side effects include skin redness or irritation where applied, increased red blood cell count, headache, diarrhea, vomiting, and increase in psa. ask your doctor about e only underarm low t treatment, axiron.
6:28 pm
6:29 pm
welcome back to "hannity." they've voiced their displeasure with the outcome and more are
6:30 pm
planned this weekend. nbc news host al sharpton says saturday will be a day of action. it's all in an attempt to encourage the justice department into filing civil rights charges against george zimmerman. joining me now is michael hardy. he's helping organize saturday's event and he'll be attending a vigil in new york city with trayvon's mother sybrina fulton and michael skoal nick is with us. he's also participating this week. i've known you for a long time, right? >> yes, sir. >> you don't like the verdict. reverend al sharpton says he wants justice. bring it before a jury. it was brought before a jury and you didn't like the jury. it's double jeopardy. >> it's not double jeopardy. when they went down to do the original march, they had met with the u.s. attorney at this
6:31 pm
time. the u.s. attorney said we will open the investigation, we will keep it at bay until we see what happens in the florida trial. >> and after 16 months the fbi found nothing, no racial animus in george zimmerman's past. >> i don't know if that's a fact, sean because the fbi still has more work to do on that case, and right now, you know, at the beginning here people say, you know, what brought this case to where it is in some respects, if you want to talk about the race issue, is the fact that had the florida authorities in the very first instance investigated this case fully -- >> they did. >> no, they didn't. -- arrested george zimmerman, investigate the case fully, deal with the parents, you may never have had the coming together of forces. they came together because justice was denied originally, because it was not enough attention paid to the fact that trayvon martin was a teenager, unarmed, and killed by george
6:32 pm
zimmerman. >> i asked hilary. 61 kids died in chicago during the trial. do you know any of the names of any of them. >> you have the young lady who died right after -- >> what's her name? >> i believe her name is rachel -- i don't have her last name. >> interesting. michael. let me ask you this question. >> sure. >> i understand you don't like the verdict. that's fine. people are going to have an honest disagreement. >> sean, hang on. >> i want to make sure that we get. >> you cannot deny justice was served. >> go ahead. >> a jury of his peers rendered a verdict not guilty. why won't you respect the verdict? >> sure. sean. you cannot deny in this country race relations are so raw. you're a protector of the amendments. there's a first amendment that says people have the rile to peaceful petition.
6:33 pm
this is something that they need to do. not just this verdict. so many young black men are profiled in this country and shot and killed and the killer walks free every time. >> you're not answering my question. the verdict was not guilty. the fbi says no evidence. as a matter of fact, a mountain of evidence that says george zimmerman had nonanimosity. why are you insisting on it? >> i'll be honest. keep investigating. leash no stone unturned. is there a basis for -- they need to make sure the investigation is complete. >> he's absolutely right, sean. i mean there has to be a full vetting of this. >> 16 months. >> what is the value of trayvon's citizenship? i mean a lot of people question verdicts. you had a lot of people question
6:34 pm
the verdict in the o.j. simpson case but people continued to pursue justice. you have to always pursue justice. the family has a right to pursue justice. >> they do? that's a whole different -- >> there was profiling in this case. >> give me the evidence of profiling. what's the evidence. >> george zimmerman profiled trayvon martin. >> based on race? >> everything that george zimmerman did during the course of this case was based on trayvon being black. >> whoa, whoa, whoa. give me evidence to back that statement of. what evidence? >> look at the whole discussion he had on the 911 tape. >> what about it? what did he say. >> one of the most interesting factors. he's a black guy and he's going for his waistband. >> that's racial? that's racial? >> you're profiling him because he's a blackman, he's going for his waistband and he must have a
6:35 pm
weapon. he was saying that all along to 911. >> sean. >> including fact that he always says that they get away, he used whatever term he used. >> it's a crime-ridden neighborhood. they had five break-ins. >> he did nothing. he was walking home and george zimmerman believed in his mind. >> michael, quick. >> sean, if i can say this, what troubles me about you, sean, is you have two people in this case. one is live and one is dead. he lied to you. he lied to your face, and you're still going to believe him. >> the evidence -- the eyewitness evidence for ground and pound -- >> there is no eyewitness evidence. >> excuse me. there is a witness. his name was john good. he saw him continue to beat him. >> no, he did not. >> yes, he did. >> john good said he could not tell if any touches were being thrown. >> the injuries were consistent with -- >> you guys -- >> i thought you said john good saw it. >> the jurors agreed with me and you can't accept the verdict.
6:36 pm
>> one juror has spoke snoon and agreed with me. >> one juror has voted -- >> leave this man alone at this point. that's why -- let the system work. >> that's why we're mobilizing across the country. >> you're not accepting the verdict. >> it's not a question of accepting the verdict. it's a question of ensuring justice sneel wrks trayvon also contributed to this. shouldn't have punched him in the nose and beat him. >> zimmerman shouldn't have profiled him, stalked him, approached him, and shot him. he did that not because he had to but because he wanted to. >> i'll give you the evidence. sean, i'll give you the evidence. >> i watched the whole trial. i've got go. coming up, fireworks on capitol hill as a high-level obama employee is involved. when we come back, austan
6:37 pm
goolsbee. don't forget. we want to hear from you. hannitylive.com. you can give us your thoughts on the show straight ahead. [ male announcer ] some question physics. some question gravity. and some... even have the audacity to question improbability. with best-in-class towing and best-in-class torque these are some of the bold, new ram commercial trucks -- built to blow your imagination. guts. glory. ram. details are really important during four course. i want to make sure that everything is perfect. that's why i do what i . [ male announcer ] it's red lobster's just $14.99. start your feast with a choice of soup, then salad, plus biscuits! next, choose one of nine amazing entrees like new coconut and citrus grilled sim or linguini with shrimp and scallops. then finish with dessert. your four course seafood feast, just $14.99.
6:38 pm
[ mortazavi ] everything needs to be picture perfect. i'm rezaculinary manager. and i sea food differently. i'm rezaculinary manager. if you've got it, you know how hard it can be to breathe and man, you know how that feels. copd includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis. spiriva is a once-daily inhaled copd maintenance treatment that helps open my obstructed airways for a full 24 hours. you know, spiriva helps me breathe easier. spiriva handihaler tiotropium bromide inhalation powder does not replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms. tell your doctor if you have kidney problems, glaucoma, trouble urinating, or an enlarged prostate. these may worsen with spiriva. discuss all medicines you take, even eye drops. stop taking spiriva and seek immediate medical help if your breathing suddenly worsens, your throat or tongue swells, you get hives, vision changes or eye pain, or problems passing urine. other side effects include dry mouth and constipation. nothing can reverse copd. spiriva helps me breathe better.
6:39 pm
does breathing with copd weigh you down? don't wait to ask your doctor about spiriva. to get our adt security system. and one really big reason -- the house next door. our neighbor's house was broken into. luckily, her family wasn't there, but what if this happened here? what if our girls were home? and since we can't monitor everything 24/7, we got someone who could. adt. [ male announcer ] while some companies are new to home security, adt has been helping to save lives for over 135 years. we have more monitoring centers, more of tomorrow's technology right here today, and more value. 24/7 monitoring against burglary, fire, and high levels of carbon monoxide starting at just over $1 a day. and now get adt installed for just $99. isn't your family worth america's number-one secuty company? current adt customers call for special upgrade saveings. after buying two of everything, it was nice to only need one security system -- adt. [ male announcer ] get adt installed for just $99.
6:40 pm
and ask about adt pulse, advanced home management here today. adt. always there.
6:41 pm
>> and tonight a high-level obama appointee appears to have been involved in the targeting of groups. it happened at a hearing early lower today. the explosive dplags was leveled by carter hall. he's a retired tax law specialist with 48 years' experience and according to hall he was instructed to send turn tea party applications directly to an obama employee named william wilkins who's a chief counsel of the irs. surprisingly the weekly standard is saying he had appointees. joining me cakarl rove and aust
6:42 pm
goolsbee. it goes all the way back to the plt's pointee. shocker. >> well, don't -- you know, the other appointee was a bush guy. i'm a little nervous here, shean. i've got karl rove and sean hannity coming at me. this is going to be a tough day for me. the fact that they briefed and talked to the general counsel was in the original general inspector report from two months ago so i didn't see what the big shocker was. >> carl rovkarl rove,s withn't original one in cincinnati? >> yes. what we learned is carl hall who served for 48 years was asked to look at the two cases, determine thad one organization should be approved, another organization should be dyisapproved and he ws
6:43 pm
told to turn the case over to general counsel and sit on them and later suggest that those organizations sit on the paperwork. we didn't know that before. it shows the pattern where the general counsel's office at the irs literally took away from a career person. we also learned they wanted him to send all the tea party groups the same letter and he objected to it, that each case ought to be looked at and examined independently and there should. be a general blanket letter sent out saying we're denying all of you as one group. we learn add lot today. professor gools bee ought to be paying more attention to the hearing. >> just be a little careful because at the same hearing, i don't know how many times they repeatedly asked both carter hull and the other witness dhad see any evidence that it was
6:44 pm
politically motivated or there was any political or partisan bias in the selection of the search terms or who they went after, and in every case both of those witnesses kept saying no. and we found out the list of additional terms they grave scrutiny to. it wasn't just tea party. it was marijuana, open source software. they were just try dog their jobs which they're required to do. part of the organizations are not allowed to be tax exempt. >> let's go to the record here. we learned earlier from mr. george i guess a couple of weeks ago that this represents the 19 progressive groups whose names were swept up as a result of the search terms. six of those 19 were denied. this is sort of the vacuum of the progressive groups. there were 292 -- there were 292
6:45 pm
conservative groups who were swept up and every single one of them was held in abeyance. 16 of 19 groups. >> no, they were not. only the progressive groups were denied. >> pardon me? 292 conservative -- >> they were denied tax exempt status. >> no, no. it was worse. they were held in abeyance so they could hold them past the 2012 election. they would have had a right to 'peel had they been denied. 292 groups held in abay minneapolis. 19 groups -- that's political bias on the face of it. >> you say that, but carter hull said he saw no evidence of political bias. >> i appreciate it. i appreciate it. but here, let me show you -- >> why are they investigating medical marijuana and open door software. >> 229 conservative groups, none of whom are approved, every one of who is held in abeyance.
6:46 pm
>> we don't need to get in a yelling match. >> look. i want to correct the record on one other thing austan said. the first thick out of his mouth was is that the thoefd irs was a bush appointee. yes, he was appointed by george w. bush but let's set the record state. i was 2008. the commissioner came to the end of his tell. the commissioner can onto serve a number of years. senator max baucus, a democrat, said i will refuse to allow another appointee from bush who accepts another term. the bush administration said we're not inclined do that because the acting commissioner can only serve two months. we'll have to find two acting commissioners in order to have somebody serving in that position until the next president comes in. the bush administration reached an agreement with senator baucas that would pick a democrat technocrat from k street. so i appreciate your trying to
6:47 pm
blame this on president bush which seems to be a rather obnoxious trait of everybody on the obama committee. >> by the way, i didn't know that, and that's fair point. >> we'll end it on a fair point. can't we all get along. thank you both for being on "hannity." a special zimmerman edition next. [ male announcer ] frequent heartburn? the choice is yos. chalky... not chalky. temporary... 24 hour.
6:48 pm
lots of tablets... one pill. you decide. prevent acid with prevacid 24hr. . . . .
6:49 pm
announcer: announcer: you're on the right track to save big during sleep train's triple choice sale. for a limited time, you can choose to save hundreds on beautyrest and posturepedic mattress sets. or choose $300 in free gifts with sleep train's most popular tempur-pedic mattresses. you can even choose 48 months interest-free financing on the new tempur-choice with head-to-toe customization. the triple choice sale ends soon at sleep train! ♪ sleep train ♪ your ticket to a better night's sleep ♪
6:50 pm
6:51 pm
welcome back to hannity. time for media mash. tonight we review the most outrageous bias after the acquittal of george zimmerman and here to help us, the president of media research center, brother brent bozell. let's look at al sharpton. he's an activist and nbc news anchor. watch this. >> you wanted zimmerman to have a fair trial. you were pushing for that before charges were filed. was this not a fair trial? >> the trial happened, the verdict came in. it does not exhaust the legal options of this family. and the bigger community issue of civil rights. we now have a position on the books in the state of florida where an unarmed teenager who committed no crime can be killed
6:52 pm
and the killer can say self-defense. that is dangerous. that is an atrocity. i think that must be addressed. i think every american ought to be afraid. >> what do you make of the activist's role and anchor role rolled up into one? >> well, i think it's more than an activist role. look, when philip griffin announced president philip griffin of nbc announced al sharpton in 2011, he said anything sharpton does on the streets he can talk about on the air. we won't hide anything. but in fact, they have hidden an awful lot about al sharpton. they won't talk about his record. they won't talk about crown heights and the racial discord that he stirred that led to the death of a young jewish man. they won't talk about what he's never apologized for. this is what made this man a millionaire celebrity steering the flames of racial discord. i'm going to say it right now. it is a form of racism. i believe that al sharpton is a
6:53 pm
racist. his question should not have been was this not a fair friel. the question to him should have been who are you to pass judgment on this trial. >> that's a big charge you're going to make. why do you say that? i will look-- i've debated him on the controversial things he's said. we've had a fiery debate over the years. do you think this case shows that? do you believe he has a racist heart? >> i believe when you are trying to pit one race against another race, he is trying to pit blacks against whites. there is a racist element, not just a racial element, there is a racist element there. this is some dangerous, dangerous stuff and he needs to be denounced by the black community. if he were david duke, we'd all be denouncing him. >> are you comparing him to david duke. look, i think i understand why
6:54 pm
he's involved. i tell you, the problem is, the way i see it, is that reverend sharpton, he misses his opportunity to ever bring people together. i don't think these rallies will bring the country together this weekend, do you? >> no. if the purpose was to bring the two parties together, i'd be the first one applauding him because there are some tensions out there. but estefaning those tensions, he's pouring gasoline. he's not trying to resolve anything. >> now they're trying to getter i can holder and i think who is pandering to a political base of the left wing, of the democratic party. they're pandering there to try and get support. it's not good for the country because it's dividing the country. we got to take a break. more about brent bozell. >> okay. [ brent ] this guy's a pro, herbie.
6:55 pm
[ herbie ] there's no doubt about it brent, a real gate keeper. here's kevin, the new boyfriend. lamb to the slaughter. that's right brent. mom's baked cookies but he'll be lucky to make it inside. and here's the play. oh dad did not see this coming. [ crowd cheering ] now if kevin can just seize the opportunity. it's looking good, herbie. he's seen it. it's all over. nothing but daylight. yes i'd love a cookie. [ male announcer ] make a powerful first impression. the all-new nissan sentra. ♪
6:56 pm
6:57 pm
[ babies crying ] surprise -- your house was built on an ancient burial ground. [ ghosts moaning ] surprise -- your car needs a new transmission. [ coyote howls ] how about no more surprises? now you can get all the online trading tools you need
6:58 pm
without any surprise fees. ♪ it's not rocket science. it's just common sense. from td ameritrade.
6:59 pm
what heck is the value of us celebrating a black president? just say he's the first person of color. all this hoopla about his being the first black president, if it doesn't in a meaningful way and your babies shot dead in the street, if it doesn't in some meaningful way, what's the value of having a black president? >> what's your reaction to that? >> bottom line, the fbi investigated for months george zimmerman. they didn't find an ounce of racism. the trial didn't produce an ounce of racism. no one made the charge of racism. no one has a drop of evidence of raci racism, yet they're all accusing zimmerman and the white community of being racist. what does that tell you, sean
7:00 pm
hannity? >> i got to tell you, this is not helping the country come together. brent bozell, thanks for being with us. let not your heart be troubled. greta is one studio over to go on the record. we'll see you back here tomorrow night. greta? >> tonight, if you're looking to squeeze blood out of the irs, you just may get your chance. the irs is in more trouble tonight. also right now, on the record investigation. what you have never heard about the prosecution of george zimmerman. >> i thought surely that he would be found guilty of second-degree murder, manslaughter at the least. but i just knew that they would see that this was a teenager just trying to get home. >> i didn't think -- there's no evidence to support that. >> it's time to question laws that senselessly expand the concept of self-de

86 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on