Skip to main content

tv   FOX News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX News  March 8, 2015 3:00pm-4:01pm PDT

3:00 pm
media buzz at fox news.com. more on the media next week and more on your questions and more of the latest buzz it is. my home state, florida. have fun. see you next weekend. i'm chris wallace. hillary clinton on her way to the democratic presidential nomination. or is she? >> don't you some day want to see a woman president of the united states of america? >> don't you some day want to see a woman president of the united states of america? >> a new firestorm over hen hick using a private e-mail account as secretary of state. >> we discovered last night we cannot produce all of her e-mails because they do not have all of her e-mails. we will discuss the fallout with mike huckabee a clinton credit since his days after governor of arkansas and lanny davis. >> united states moves forward with iran nuclear talks. despite warnings from israel
3:01 pm
prime minister binyamin netanyahu. >> this is a bad deal. we are better off without it. >> as the deadline closes in, what will congress do? >> we will talk with two key senators: ronald reagan johnson and bill nelson. >> race in america. the department of justice clears officer wilson but accuses the ferguson police of violating the constitution. >> both policing and municipal court practices were found to be dispore'sally harmful to african-american residents. our panel weighs in. >> plus 50 years after bloody sunny, how far have we come? our power player of the we week, georgia congressman john lewis remembers his march from selma. >> a sense of righteous indesignation in america. >> all now on "fox news sunday."
3:02 pm
>> hello again from fox news in washington. we begin with breaking news in the hillary clinton private e-mail controversy. president obama has commented on it for the first time in an interview with cbs news. >> mr. president, when did you learn that hillary clinton used an e-mail system out of the u.s. government for official business while she was secretary of state? >> the same time everyone else learned through news reports. >> were you disaisn't -- disappointed? >> my policy is transparency. all my records are available and archived and i am glad hillary clinton is instructing those e-mails that had to do with official business need to be disclosed. >> we will talk with a firm clinton lawyer in a moment. >> and huckabee has dealt with the clintons since before his
3:03 pm
days and has hillary clinton violateed the spirit of the laws that even if she waited two years after leaving office to turn over the e-mails, that is all right. >> i do know at that time there was no time requirement. new there is. she has given everything according to her staff, to the state department. >> governor, what did hillary clinton do wrong? >> there is a protocol she did not follow that was a directive in the obama administration. there is also leg issues about whether it is a good idea, even a lawful idea to store top secret information which a secretary of state would be privy to on a personal server in a personal home away from the firewalls the government would
3:04 pm
provide and whether she has given all the mails. the fact is, we really don't know because if she is the only one who has access to them she can redact what she wants. that is a problem for her more in explanation if she turns them over. there will be accusations that is not all there is. >> why do you think that secretary clinton did it? >> that i can't answer, other than there were things she did not want to have in the public eye. anyone who has been in politics would love to keep a lot of things quiet because because they are evil or criminal but because people want the candor of conversation but in the position of secretary of state, you have to understand they would be a serious target for being hacked and we have seen how easy it is for some of the foreign entities and even domestic entities to hack into private e-mail accounts. that is problematic and could
3:05 pm
compromise national security. >> you talk that we do not know what we don't know. there are a number of congressional committees, there are a number of private lawsuits that have sought all the records and the mails related to their various cases from secretary clinton since it was her team that decided what to turn over to the state department how will we ever know whether that is a complete record? >> that is exactly the point. we don't. if you are depending upon someone who is under investigation to be in charge of the investigation, you do not have much of an investigation. it does not have the creditability. that is what i find anding and the fact that it appears from the president to robert gibbs and john kerry there are people in the administration walking away from hillary clinton and leaving her out this twisting in the wind. i find that is interesting as i do the fact that the e-mails were kept in her private server in her home somewhere away from
3:06 pm
public view and the private interest is the one she did official business. that makes it problematic. if it was shocking on amazon that is different. >> it is suggested a neutral party, a respected general or judge should have access to go through the entire private server to make sure she has turned over everything relevant. what do you think? >> it could be what she is forced to do just to eliminate all of the questions not that they will ever all be eliminated because when this shadow of doubt has been placeñ, it will linger throughout a president am campaign if she decides to run. >> you were 9 governor of arkansas and came in office four years after bill clinton but you had a lot of i dealings before
3:07 pm
and during your term with the clintons. how familiar does all of this seem to you? >> very familiar. bill clinton or hillary clinton have been on the ballot in arkansas or the nation every two years since 1974, sent for 1988 and the time when bill clinton was el located president it was every four years. hillary clinton was on the ballot, of course to be united states senator and united states president. so we have a clinton on the ballot in over 13 elections over the period of the past 41 years and that means when bill clinton was governor he made 1,200 appointments a year, an incredible political campaign. every campaign i was in the chin toes personally campaigned for my opponent and i know what it is to face an extraordinary political machine i am not better. these are people who know how to play politics.
3:08 pm
they play to win. they use every tool at their disposal to win. i have always had a decent personal relationship with the clintons and still do. i look it at michael corelone looks at the business he was in, it is not personal just business. when you challenge the clinton political machine whether it is in arkansas or elsewhere, you need to be up for one heck of a fight. >> i am glad in the comparison to "the godfather," there was no disparage amount. thank you for joining us. now we want to bring in official white house special counsel lanny davis who handles legal troubles in the clinton white house including campaign finance and impeachment. you said repeatedly on friday, "hillary clinton did nothing wrong." i can understand saying she did not protect the law but do you really believe she did nothing wrong? >> i do. let me correct my friend,
3:09 pm
governor huckabee. he is a good man. and capable. but he is wrong on the law. 9 director of litigation --. >> if you can answer my question i am asking you specifically? >> no, but she does nothing illegal and governor huckabee suggested she might. number one, there is plenty resident, general powell did the same. >> rues were different? >> they were not. >> there was a new rule in twine. >> the rule in 2009 on talked about preservation which she has followed and in 2014 the rules changed. >> let me go through, a list, if i may, of the rules and regulations and laws she may have violated. >> "may have" --. >> the state department foreign affairs man all i'd employees
3:10 pm
must use secure department approved computer systems and the agency that regulates the federal records act, a law, said e-mails must be "preserved in the appropriate agency." the obama white house said private e-mails must be reserved and later, in 2011 as secretary of state all work should be conducted on government e-mail. you say she did nothing wrong? >> you interrupted me when i was about to say the director of litigation for the agency you just quoted, the national archives administration, said she did nothing illegal or violated the rules you just quoted. not one. indeed, powell was subject to that because they began in 1995 and the word you use and said "may," everything is "may," is preserved. >> let me ask you about preserved because the government said preserved does they have in mind someone would never turned over any records during the
3:11 pm
entire four years she was secretary of state, never turned over any records when she left as secretary of state and did not, in fact turn over anyhen reports until two years after she left as secretary of state? do you think that is what the rules meant when president obama or the federal records act or when the foreign manual all talk about researching records? >> the answer is yes. >> two years after meet increasing. >> chris wallace you may have subjective belief of what "might have," been the case but i am talking about what is the case. 9 records are preserved. and huckabee said maybe they were deleted. can you not delete on a hard drive. can you have a neutral party to review the records. nothing untruthful. >> you would like a neutral party? is that reasonable? >> it is reasonable idea if anyone has any doubt there is a lead on a hard drive --. >> to have an independent person
3:12 pm
inspect her private e-mail? >> that is a reasonable idea if the state department asks, she will say yes if there is a subpoena she must say yes this is a bogus notion of what might be the case versus what is the case. >> and the obama white house saying all work should be conducted on government e-mails? >> obama white house is unclear on the policy. >> the president did not say it was unclear. >> chris, what the president said is he did not know although the august white house knew and the president then want on to support hillary clinton. if you let me finish, the fact is no one said it is illegal. she has turned all over of the mail the first secretary of state to ever do that and going forward and she turned them over last december. >> in december. almost two yours after she left office? >> exactly consistent with the
3:13 pm
law. the law changes in 2014 and you forgot do mention and "new york times" --. >> no no, i didn't say it did not change i said it changed in 2009. >> a it changed in 2009 and was complied with because --. >> if clinton did nothing wrong why send out she a memo in 2011 to all state department posts with this directive "avoid conducting official department business great your personal e-mail accounts." why was it so important for every other member of the state department but a directive she ignored? >> i can explain that by saying as secretary of state traveling to 111 countries might be needing to have one e-mail system versus people in the department who should use the official system. i wonder --. >> i don't understand that. >> you are saying it is a burden to use the state's website? >> i didn't say that you d i said it is understandable as
3:14 pm
secretary for the same reason jeb bush --. >> you are talking about jeb bush and you have layed this game before, it is like the republicans during watergate saying lyndon johnson wiretapped people, too. it is irrelevant and, please do not play that game. >> well let's not intent me and let me explain. >> i am not asking about jeb bush. why did hillary clinton in 2011 tell all extent officials to use government e-mails and she refused? >> i gave you the antithat she has a good reason. >> what was the good reason. >> you are not listening. i gave the you reason. >> somehow it was going to be more convenient? >> maybe you don't understand because you are not letting me finish. as secretary of state she could feel the need traveling all over with --. >> why is the state department
3:15 pm
e-mail not adequate? >> she may feel the need as secretary of state if i could finish, jeb bush is a fine man and does nothing wrong but you will not ask the same question of why did he not use the state website with three million e-mails, it is a double standard. >> it is like the republicans talking about lyndon johnson during watergate. >> it is not. >> if hillary clinton does nothing wrong explain to me this comment from her in 2007. >> our constitution is being shredded. we know about the secret wiretaps. we know about the secret military tribunals the secret white house e-mail accounts and it is a stunning record of secrecy and corruption, of cronyism run amok. >> she thought private e-mails were a problem then and said the constitution was being threatened. >> she lifted a number of secrecy acts and she now has
3:16 pm
done the unprecedented maybe she should have the bush white house do the same, unprecedented, no secretary of state has volunteered to turn over all e-mails. >> she did not volunteer. she negotiated with four months lawyer to lawyer before she turned them over from august of last year to december. why was it outrageous for the bush white house to use private e-mails but for her it is okay? i keep answering your question there were other things she listed she did volunteer to release publicly all of the e-mails and no other secretary of state including colin powell who used official and personal e-mails the same as hillary clinton she is the only secretary of state to openly ask the public to look at all of the e-mails and wants them published now. >> finally you served in the clinton white house handling legal matters like campaign ifens and impeachment.
3:17 pm
do you get tired of cleaning up after the clintons? >> you say "cleaningup," because you have a certain perspective and i am proud given the public career and good of bill clinton and hillary clinton as reflected by the popular good will they have across the country unlike chris wallace --. >> when you say unlike chris wallace in what way? >> you call it "cleaning up," but i am proud to defend a great public servant, hillary clinton --. >> proud of man coup lewinsky and campaign finance. those are moments of ride? >> the last team you got heated of the clintons was whitewater for four years. >> i never discussed whitewater. >> you never decided it was a scandal. >> no. >> you are the only person that did not think that. remember whitewater, this is another bogus. >> i thought campaign finance was a scandal. >> what happened with the
3:18 pm
clintons on campaign finance? >> do you think that was great moment, do you want to relitigate monica lewinsky and misleading a grand jury. do you want to relitigate that? >> you ask and i am proud of cleaning up and i don't call it cleaning up, bill clinton left with a 65 percent approval rating and hillary clinton today is the most popular politician in the country and you are discussing a non-scandal, nothing illegal, full access and it is all politics. >> lanny breuer, -- lanny thank you, thank you. it is all politics. stay tuned. e full story of the clinton e-mails? our sunday group joins the conversation. plus, what would you like to ask the panel about hillary clinton's private e-mails? just go to facebook or twitter, @foxnewssunday and we may use your question on the air.
3:19 pm
at ally bank no branches equals great rates. it's a fact. kind of like shopping hungry equals overshopping. [ female announcer ] hands were made for talking. feet...tiptoeing. better things than the pain stiffness, and joint damage of moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis. before you and your rheumatologist decide on a biologic ask if xeljanz is right for you. xeljanz (tofacitinib) is a small pill not an injection or infusion, for adults with moderate to severe ra for whom methotrexate did not work well. xeljanz can relieve ra symptoms, and help stop further joint damage. xeljanz can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers have happened in patients taking xeljanz. don't start xeljanz if you have any infection unless ok with your doctor. tears in the stomach or intestines, low blood
3:20 pm
cell counts and higher liver tests and cholesterol levels have happened. your doctor should perform blood tests before you start and while taking xeljanz and routinely check certain liver tests. tell your doctor if you have been to a region where fungal infections are common, and if you have had tb, hepatitis b or c or are prone to infections. tell your doctor about all the medicines you take. one pill, twice daily, xeljanz can reduce ra pain and help stop further joint damage, even without methotrexate. ask about xeljanz. ♪ at mfs, we believe in the power of active management. every day, our teams collaborate around the world to actively uncover, discuss and debate investment opportunities. which leads to better decisions for our clients.
3:21 pm
it's a uniquely collaborative approach you won't find anywhere else. put our global active management expertise to work for you. mfs. there is no expertise without collaboration. what's that thing? i moved our old security system out here to see if it could monitor the front yard. why don't you switch to xfinity home? i get live video monitoring and 24/7 professional monitoring that i can arm and disarm from anywhere. hear ye! the awkward teenage one has arrived!!!!
3:22 pm
don't be old fashioned. xfinity customers add xfinity home for $29.95 a month for 12 months. plus for a limited time, get a free security camera call 1800 xfinity or visit comcast.com/xfinityhome. the former secretary was responsible for setting the standards for preserving agency rds,ng t it >> the secretary was responsible for setting the standards on the agency records so if she was doing what she was supposed to do, why would the state department have to ask her for the e-mails back? >> the republican congressman chair of the house of representatives committee on benghazi that subpoenaed all of hillary clinton's private mails remitted to libya. now our sunday group, george will, near a attenden, president of -- and neera tanden and kimberley strassel from "wall street journal" and juan williams, political analyst.
3:23 pm
>> kim you wrote a comism in the "wall street journal" under "thing -- "hillary's e-mails ask paid." this is pure clinton, this kay per. >> governor huckabee was right. the clintons do what they have to do and the decision do keep the mail where it was was purposeful, with an eye to the future and retaining control. has there been a political family that has played more cat and mouse over the years with documents, you just ran through a list of some of them with lanny davis. that was in her head as she went influence the confirmation hearing to become second of state. she knew she was trouble going to run for president and wanted control of the e-mails and here is the other thing. she is a lawyer. she talked how she does not break the law and the federal
3:24 pm
records act and advisory and this is classic. >> we ask you for questions and we got this on facebook: why does she think the rules we live by do not apply to her why couldn't she use the government e-mail address and what didn't she want the public to see? you worked in the clinton white house and worked for senator clinton, how do you answer? >> she doesn't see herself as above the line or different from everyone else. that is why she was following the rules as the previous secretary of state and is putting forward an e-mail which is going above and beyond. it and fascinating how people can read every view of her and in twine she was not thinking they would run for president again and the presumption of nefarious activity are just that presumption.
3:25 pm
>> and the rules were clear, the maims -- rules were clear, living up to the spirit and the letter of the law. is that in keeping with the spirit you do not turn these over while secretary of state when you leave as secretary of state you do not turn them over until two years of leave and after the state department lawyers confront you? >> that is also faster than any rest secretary of state has turned over e-mails. obviously she fund over the mail the previous secretary of state did not turn over. >> jerk josh uses the government e-mail so they are contemporaneously preserved. >> i said "previous," to hillary clinton. >> because condoleeza rice did not use any e-mail. >> and colin powell and others do. or private e-mails.
3:26 pm
i am saying now we can see them she is turning them over to the public and it is hard to imagine, but take a breath see what are in the e-mails and decide. >> the mails she has chose were. >> to be clear it is a cabinet secretary today using private and public e-mail any other secretary are making the decision when they use public and private e-mail a decision they are making. there is no public record. >> that is why the obama administration said to use the government e-mail because the e-mails belong to the public, fought to them. >> and she is turning them over. >> the ones she we chooses to turn over. >> like any other cabinet secretary. >> how big a deal is this? given we are in man of 2015, how big a deal is this when we are talking about an election that isn't until november of 2016?
3:27 pm
>> big because the worst political scandals be those that reinforce a pre-existing negative perception which kim has documented at length. the clintons have clouds of entitle mit and concealment and legalistic reasoning, the people would can find a loophole in a stop sign. her motive was to conceal and that is what makes this orwellian. in "1984," the regime had an edict, he who controls the past controls the future and he who controls the present controls the past. this is a way of controlling what will know of the history of our country and it and deeply sinister. >> sinister? why not actually, rather than attacking and deriding see what is in the e-mail and make
3:28 pm
judgments? >> don't you agree there is a problem? >> orwellian? >> but the 2355,000 pages of e-mails are only what she and her lawyers decide to turn over? >> there are e-mails. what if there is an e-mail about benghazi? >> and the lawyers will see those. exactly. >> not if she did not turn them over? >> the state department will see them and any mail on benghazi. other people will see them? >> public will see the server? >> what do you think of an independent person going in to see the server? >> i would see what the mails we have are and make decisions on that. we have two years before a presidential cycle, why not get
3:29 pm
the mails and see if there more must be e-mails more than any other secretary of state in the history. >> the ones that matter. >> no, now the ones that matter. >> i will say first of all, hillary clinton seems to be very entitled and privileged and she broke the rules. i don't see there is any question. whether she broke the law that is not clear. >> i agree. in terms of the licks of 2016, which really is what we are driving at, hillary clinton scares the republicans to death. that is what we have seen. initially, democrats including the obama white house this week did not defend hillary clinton. the obama administration wants to make it clear they had clear rules of the road for hillary clinton and she backed off. there was radio silence. radio silence. by the end of the week with all of this talk about benghazi and
3:30 pm
the stuff about, doesn't this remind you of how technical the clintons are, suddenly, the democrats -- and we see it from this morning -- have been more defensive and the idea is, republicans are feasting. they are in a frenzy. they think this is watergate re-do. >> it is not. >> sometimes when you feast it is thanksgiving. >> we have to take a break. >> the obama administration continues the nuclear talks with iran after israeli prime minister's warning. stay tuned. congress will block a deal. and what do you think abougotng wiran me w oneboo >> what do you thing much negotiating with iran? let me know on facebook or twitter. and use the #fns.
3:31 pm
meet the world's newest energy superpower. surprised? in fact, america is now the world's number one natural gas producer... and we could soon become number one in oil. because hydraulic fracturing technology is safely recovering lots more oil and natural gas. supporting millions of new jobs. billions in tax revenue... and a new century of american energy security. the new energy superpower? it's red, white and blue. log on to learn more.
3:32 pm
3:33 pm
3:34 pm
the deadline to work out a deal with iran to limit its nuclear program is now just ay. a adstra and now the program with iran is nuclear away and obama administration continues to negotiate despite strong opposition from israeli prime minister binyamin netanyahu. what role will congress pay? we have wisconsin senator ron johnson and sent nelson on the senate armed services committee. something you could agree on gentleman, if the united states and the allies work out a deal with iran. senator johnson will congress have to approve it? >> good morning, i certainly hope so. that is what the menendez bill will lay out that will be marked up next week. the iranian parliament will say
3:35 pm
yes-or-no and i think the united states congress should have the same input in the process. >> senator them son you are a democrat and the bill we are talking about would mandate that the congress be given a right to vote up or down on any deal with iran and the president has said he will veto it and if he does will you vote as a democrat to override the president's veto and override the president's democrat? >> first of all, what is the amendment, which i am an original cosponsor? it is to prevent by voting the lifting of congressional sanctions. that is not an up-or-down vote on the whole deal, it is a major part of the deal.
3:36 pm
so your question will vote to override? that depends on the context of the whole deal which we don't know until march 24 when the administration will announce if their necks are successful -- their negotiations are successful or not. >> there are general outlines obviously not the details but the general outlines that are out. a freeze on sensitive nuclear activity for 10 years a cap on enriched uranium and inspections that are intrusive. senator nelson the devil is in the details but the online i laid out and what you have heard, could you accept a deal like that? >> again, we don't know what the final deal is.
3:37 pm
the key part of what you mention if that is true is the intrusive and unannounced inspections, the only way you are going to keep iran which you can't trust anymore than a rattlesnake, the only way you are going to make sure they are not developing a bomb is the intrusive and unexpected inspections. that is what is going to be key. >> let me ask you, senator johnson about prime minister binyamin netanyahu's statement in his powerful speech to congress where he tried to link any possible deal to iran's behavior. >> if the will powers are not prepared to exist that iran change behavior before a deal is signed at least they should insist they change the behavior before the deal expires.
3:38 pm
>> senator, is that reasonable? >> it isn't. as an extraordinary speech and courageous. prime minister binyamin netanyahu came to america to alert congress and america what he views as a threat to the state of israel and iran is the primary sponsor of terrorism around the world and their blue is growing. the deal as being described with a sunset provision does not stop nuclear proliferation but will haven it. saudi arabian will purchase a nuclear weapon and this region will become more dangerous. this is a bad deal. i agree with prime minister netanyahu. he was coming to america to alert us and he paid the price. it was courageous. >> here is president obama's response to the netanyahu speech. >> what i guarantee if it is a
3:39 pm
deal i signed off i will be able to prove it is the best way for us to prevent iran from getting a nuclear weapon and us to pass up on that opportunity is a great mistake. >> senator johnson, this is where the pickup better hits the road. i understand you do not want any deal but isn't there is rice to be paid if the negotiations fall apart? i know you are very suspicious as a lost people are about the deal the president is working out butn't get a deal and you can argue this is not perfect or far from it, iran ramps up their nuclear program and we then have said we would take out the program are you prepared for the possibility of the united states going back to war in the middle east? >> everyone has been saying that iran cannot be allowed to get a nuclear weapon. i agree with that. the negotiation was lost at the start when the administration
3:40 pm
basically allowed iran to continue to enrich uranium contrary to every u.n. resolution for a decade that says iran has to suspend enrichment of uranium. this paves the way as prime minister netanyahu said for the nuclear program l is no peaceful nuclear program in iran. president obama here is just denying the reality of the situation and that is what the prime minister pointed out. iran is evil. >> you are saying he has lost the deal and you are saying whatever he comes up with here you think is a bad deal and the united states should not make? >> we will see what the deal is because i don't know the details but a sunset provisision allows 6,500 centrifuges to spin is not an acceptable deal. >> so what happens?
3:41 pm
>> we will institute severe sanctions which is what president obama did relaxing the sanctions. we do not want an economically strong iran the strong sponsor of terrorism. they are extremely dangerous. >> if i ran ramps up the program because the negotiates fall apart what do we do? >> we cannot allow a nuclear weapon if it allows military action. the united states has to back our strong ally for israel. >> senator nelson you get the final word. >> i disagree with my colleague that he seems to know what the deal is. excuse me. i disagree with the prime minister that he would come and
3:42 pm
try to kill a negotiation while the very negotiation is going on in geneva. i don't think that is right. i don't think it is right, also, that he would come in front of the united states congress as the representative of the american people two weeks before an election. that is not right. let's get through all of this, let's see what the negotiation produces and hope there is an alternative to war but at this point we don't know. >> senator nelson and senator johnson i thank you both for joining us today and we will stay on top of the nexts. >> thank you. >> the nation mark ooze years since the civil rights matches in selma but the after showns of bloody sunday remain. we will bring back the panel to discuss race in america. and the justice department's findings of racial bias in the
3:43 pm
ferguson police department. that is next. departmenenenenenen test. test. test.
3:44 pm
3:45 pm
3:46 pm
>> the nation's first black nt the nation's first black president joining a crowd in selma marking 50 years when troopers attacked blacks. the president said the struggle for equality continues. >> we need to open our eyes and hearts to know our racial history passes a long shadow upon us. we know the march is not yet over. we know the race is not yet won. >> indeed, all of this is the same week that justice
3:47 pm
department issue add blistering report about racial bias in the ferguson, maryland, police department and we are back with the panel. before we get to the larger issue of race in america, i want to know that the justice department cleared the ferguson police officer wilson of any wrongdoing in the shooting death of michael brown just as the missouri grand jury. george, after seven months of investigations and protests, it turns out that hands up don't shoot never happened. >> no but it was convenient because it was part of a liberal interruption of things. it is the third time we have seen this it began in the sense of the lacrosse case with duke, another hoax that fed the narrative that male athletes particularly are testosterone crazy menaces to society. then came the "rolling stone"
3:48 pm
rape hoax that fraternities are pools of testosterone and it all fits. then ferguson and "don't shoot," fed how the police are dangerous to minorities. what the report demonstrates is not bias but disparate impact. >> we will get to that. you wrote "eyes on the prize," juan williams the most important books written of the civil rights movement how do you put together selma and ferguson and race in america. your thoughts? >> selma is a great point of reference looking at civil rights the you look at selma, crossing the bridge, there is a moment when you see americans willing to stand in the face of violence to bring to reality the more perfect union, the declaration of independence promise that all men are created
3:49 pm
equal. but what you see today we have lost moral clarity because the moral clarity when you have the jim clarks and bull connors beating those would want to register to vote. >> the police in the 60s. >> today you compare that we have lost the moral clarity and we have civil rights that have become black people as a special interest group, a keep constituency for democrats, making demands on the system and treating it as such. you have lost moral clarity when you cannot fix the vote rights act in this day and age of 2015 to guarantees all americans. instead, you see people engaged in efforts to diminish of vote of black but latino and young people, seniors, and you see the diminishment of moral clarity in black leadership when they will not pay attention to some of the issues with regard to family
3:50 pm
breakdown and crime and bad schools and, instead, always pointing again to the white communities that white guilt will care you into the next plateau just not realistic. we have lost moral clarity in terms of dealing with slavery reconstruction, the fight against legal segregation.country. in >> well,g is, part of what you are saying isan as brave as those kind people were that was kind of easy, pardon the expression, ets re black and white. it gets really complicated. >> it's like george said about fort theunat narrative, one of the eat, he unfortunate things about the it was speech the president gave in to selma was great. he just felt compelled and you had to throw in the argument that there is still a big problem because of voter i.d. laws across the country. that feeds another one of these narratives which is not true. it's not a central focus. if you look at 2012 black voter i.d. l turnout exceeded that of white
3:51 pm
voter turnout and in states with the strictest voter i.d. laws. >> i think what is surprising about this debate is we haven't talked at all about the other ferguson report. i mean, you talk about moral clarity, there is moral clarity in the ferguson report where rative they describes instances where african-americans -- a cen >> let me interrupt for a second because we have statistics on tu the screen. this is a report about the ctest general police department in ferguson. >> please put it on the screen. think t blacks make up or made up 67% ofhe o the thpopulation in ferguson but clari theyty accounted for 93% of the arrests there and 88% of cases where there was the use of >> force. here it was attorney general holder releasing the report. on, but >> these policing practishes disproportionately harm se pol african-american icresidents. esidents in fact, our review of the evidence found no alternative
3:52 pm
explanation for disproportionate impact on african-american residents other than implicit and explicit racial bias. >> you have instance after insta instance of police officers with outright racist attitudes. they have racist e-mails racist language and that is why people -- i agree that some issues are ones that are more difficult. these are issues in which we re should actually speak with one one more united voice. i think that issue out of ferguson last week was good that we have that clear. we can have trust in that. you can do you understand why people were protesting because they didn't have faith in their police police because the police g department goes afteroe -- >> this is a narrative that was not true. on >> there was a specific
3:53 pm
narrative that wasn't true and th we why people were distropical stormful was because we learned istrus they have a police department that targets lear african-americans. i would hope that all of us would see in selma 50 years later that there are challenges we th face as a country. abou these aret things that we still re have to tackle and i hope we all do. >> less than a minute. >> are we going to trust the justice department? holde eric holder said we are not going to stop until we fix these >> things. >> we should notld stop. e >> does anyone think the justicehe department is best positioned toitione be doing that?ing >> as opposed to what? ferguson itself?lf clearly they are not self-policing because they have ings had a racist police officers for a has long time and no one has cared. e isn't that why we have a justice t department because we have laws that aren't being enforced at ain the local level? >> i think the report was complicated.
3:54 pm
productivity quotas and ingike thes, too. tough. >> to be continued. and thebate debate will go on. see see y'all next sunday. up next our power player of the week. a civillmiss rights legend looks backegend half a century at bloody sunday. half a century at bloody sunday. at ally bank no branches equals great rates. it's a fact. kind of like mute buttons equal danger. ...that sound good? not being on this phone call sounds good. it's not muted. was that you jason? it was geoffrey! it was jason. it could've been brenda.
3:55 pm
3:56 pm
he was leading the march on bloody sunday and he still has the scar on his forehead to show for it. he is the last person still alive who spoke at the march on washington. and so it was my great honor this week to discuss where we have come as a nation and where we still have to go with our power player of the week.
3:57 pm
>> came toward us, beating us with night sticks. >> john lewis is talking about bloody sunday, march 7, 1965 when 600 protesters tried to march from selma to montgomery, alabama to demand their voting rights. it's a key scene in the movie "selma." john lewis was the man in the white trench coat. but it's not a movie for lewis. it's a memory that still burns half a century later. >> i'm trying to protect my head. i really thought i was going to die there. >> when did you realize that bloody sunday was a tu point? >> the american people saw what happened. they couldn't take it. that was a sense of righteous indignation in america. >> reporter: on march 15 president lyndon johnson addressed a joint session of
3:58 pm
congress and introduced the voting rights act. >> and we shall overcome. >> reporter: lewis was watching on tv along with martin luther king. >> i looked at dr. king. tears came down his face and he said we will make it from selma to montgomery and the voting rights act would be passed. >> reporter: john lewis grew up in rural alabama, went to segregated schools and saw the signs for whites and colors. then he brings up something that happened to the kids in his family when he was 16. >> trying to get library cards, attempting to check out somic boo ssomic -- some books and were told it was for whites only. >> reporter: lewis says selma selected itself. >> the county was more than 80% african-american. there was not a single registered african-american
3:59 pm
voter in the county. >> reporter: lewis has been a member of congress now for 28 years. but he goes back to selma every year. >> selma has freed and lib rates not just america's south but liberated a country. >> reporter: on the issue of race how far have we come since selma? >> as a nation we have come a great distance. white/colored signs are gone. the only place to see those signs today would be in a book, in a museum or a video. >> how far do we have to go? >> we still have a distance to travel before we lay down the burden of race. we are not there yet but we are on our way and it will not be any turning back. >> john lewis is 75 now and has we said he served almost three decades in congress but there is
4:00 pm
not even a hint he is leaving the march. that's it for today. have a great week and we will see you back on fox news sunday. news sunday. right now calls from inside the democratic party for the top potential presidential candidate to step up and deal with the problem that is looming. it all has to do with the former secretary of state hillary clinton keeping secret e-mail server in her house doing state business with a nongovernmental account, playing outside the lines and if so how exposed is our security. some heat from top ranking democrat from a message to hillary clinton. >> she is the preimminent political figure right now. she is the leading candidate whether it be republican or democrat

131 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on