Skip to main content

tv   The Kelly File  FOX News  October 7, 2015 1:00am-2:01am PDT

1:00 am
this is a fox news alert, i'm brett baier, welcome to washington, donald trump says he's in it to win it. the republican presidential front-runner told me today he's not going anywhere and expects to win iowa and new hampshire, despite what he calls some shifts in polls. he talked about topics he has not addressed, laying out his opposition to a new trade deal. his defense of eminent domain and explaining why he sent marco rubio a care package. we'll have my extended interview with donald trump in a moment. first the headlines, the top u.s. commander in afghanistan says the deadly air strike on a hospital in kunduz was a mistake. general john campbell told a senate panel the call went through a chain of command and
1:01 am
the hospital was mistakenly struck killing 22 people. also discussed at the hearing how many troops president obama should leave in afghanistan. and it's more than planned. the death toll from the weekend storms in the carolinas has grown to 17. tens of thousands of people in columbia, south carolina have no water service. others are being told to boil theirs before drinking or cooking. we'll have a report. hillary clinton has a new ad taking advantage of a top republican's gaffe about the benghazi investigation. we have also learned the state department is now pressuring clinton's person lawyer to reconfirm whether clinton turned over all the official emails as she was sworn she did under penalty of perjury. now, donald trump, i talked to him this morning at his manhattan office. one of the amazing things about his dominance in the polls so far is that the billionaire businessman has spent just $2 million on his campaign so far. and that's far less than other campaigns. so he's not running out of
1:02 am
money. and he's leading in almost all of the national and state polls. yet he says the most pressing question he's getting lately from reporters -- what would force him to get out of the race. >> you're leading by all accounts in almost every poll we see, big. even in early states. and yet, you're starting to get a lot of these questions about when would you consider getting out of the race. >> well, brett, it's very dishonest reporting. i mean basically, they ask me, would you ever get out of the race? now i'm leading in every poll. i'm saying -- strange question. i guess if i did terribly i would get out of the race, but, i'm not, i'm doing well. and they say trump maybe will get out of the race. such dishonest reporting. i give a simple answer -- i'm not getting out of the race, i'm not going to get out when i answer that way, you look at some of the people polling at zero. and they ask them the question, they're never getting out, when you know they'll get out over the next couple of weeks.
1:03 am
it's simple to say i'm not getting out of the race, i'm here to stay, i'm going to win it and we're going to make america great again. much simpler answer. >> you think you have to win iowa and new hampshire? >> i don't know, but i'm leading in both. i might very well be able to do that. i'm leading in both and leading significantly in one and going up to iowa tomorrow. and we have a packed house as usual and it's going to be a lot of fun. i'm having a lot of fun doing it. >> i want to ask you some things you haven't been asked. and that is a challenge. because you do a few interviews. >> i do, i do. >> trans-pacific partnership. the trade deal. you came out on twitter, terrible. why? >> because we have so many different ways, first of all, chinese are going to go into the deal, you know that, this is the back door for china. they don't talk about currency manipulation the way they should. they didn't even mention it. and then a group came do see me and we actually did an ad saying you have to talk about currency manipulation. the number one way that we're getting hurt is currency
1:04 am
manipulation. china does it brilliantly. japan does it bril lantly. we don't do it at all because we have people that don't have a clue, they don't know what they're doing. there's so many different back door does that trade agreement. it's done by the lobbyists, the special interests for certain companies that want it. it's not good for our country. we're losing our jobs, we're losing our money. we're losing our base, we're losing everything. the trade deals are negotiated by people that don't know what they're doing. >> so it doesn't bother you that you're on the same side as bernie sanders on this issue? >> it's not the same side. if it is, it's fine. we're on the same side for different reasons. i like -- he doesn't want the trade. i like the trade, but it's got to be equal or better for us. not even, you know -- if you look at the imbalance that we have with mexico, as an example, everybody talks about the wall. i'm going to build the wall. i say mexico going to pay for it i mean it. mexico is going to pay. everyone says that would never
1:05 am
happen. let's say the wall will cost $7 billion, some say $12. mine would be bigger, better, stronger for half the price. that's the way i do it we lose with trade imbalance with mexico, $45 billion a year. in addition to that we give them billions of dollars, forget about what we lose, we also give them in subsidies. the money they take out of this country -- is unbelievable. >> the economics of deporting it 11 million immigrants, that -- it just doesn't seem to add up for a lot of people. >> you're going to make it so tough, that they're going to leave. many of them are going to leave. going to make it so tough. many are going to leave. they're here illegally. we either have a country or we don't. >> what do you think of eminent domain? >> i think eminent domain is wonderful if you're building a highway and you need to build as an example, a highway, and you're going to be blocked by a hold-out or in some cases, it's a hold-out, just so you understand, nobody knows this better than i do, i built a lot of buildings in manhattan and you'll have 12 sites and you'll
1:06 am
get 11 and you'll have the one hold-out and you end up building around them and everything else. i think eminent domain for massive projects, frijs frior i you're going to create thousands of jobs and you have somebody that's in the way. eminent domain, they get a lot of money. and you need a house in a certain location because you're going to build this massive development that's going to employ thousands of people or you're going to build a factory that without this little house, you can't build the factory. i think eminent domain is fine. now the club for growth doesn't like it because of me. they kamt kaim to my office, right upstairs, they said would you give us $1 million to put it in writing. >> back to the issue, you said -- in 2005, you said you agree with the kelo case in the u.s. supreme court, 100%. that holds eminent domain. >> eminent domain -- number one, a person has a house and they end up getting much more than the house is ever worth. eminent domain is not like they
1:07 am
take it. these people because they're not very smart people, the club for growth people. and actually, i don't want to use the word extortion, but pretty close, they wanted $1 million, they would have been -- >> other candidates are using and talking about the issue. >> think about it. they come up, ask me for $1 million. i say $1 million for what? i never even heard of the club for growth until six months ago. >> club for growth -- >> this is one of the points i make. they ask for $1 million. i say no, they come out against me, they take out some ads, big deal, didn't have any impact at all. but eminent doe nan maine was one of their issues, if you have a road or heeway, if you have a factory and you have thousands of jobs and you need eminent domain, it's called equal development. >> bernie sanders said the result of the kilo case decision will be that working families and poor people will see their property turned over to wealthy developers and corporate interests. >> the way they talk people
1:08 am
would say it's turned over. it's turned over for four, five, six ten times sometimes what it's worth. people pay them a fortune. but sometimes you have people that want to hold out just for -- most of the time. i've done a lot of out parcels. most of the time they just want money. it's very rarely that they say i love my house. it's the greatest thing. because these people buy a house now that's five times bigger in a better location eminent domain when it comes to jobs, roads, the public good -- i think it's a wonderful thing. i'll be honest with you. and remember, you're not taking property, the you you know the way you asked the question. you're paying a fortune for that property. those people can move two blocks away into a much nicer house. >> if they don't want to sell. >> look -- >> we can move on. i know what you mean. >> i think it's a great subject. a very interesting subject. i fully understand the conservative approach. >> you say you would be great on foreign policy in part because
1:09 am
you're great at making deals and you're a master deal-maker. what kind of deal would you make with vladimir putin? when it comes to ukraine or syria. >> if you look at syria, he's now hitting isis, also, by the way. if somebody wants to hit isis, that's okay with me, we owe $19 trillion and we're going to get bogged down in syria? we just went through afghanistan, we're going through it now, iraq, which is a total disaster and i said, you and i had this discussion. we should never go to iraq and i'm the most militaristic person there is. you have to know when to do it. iraq, we're stopping iran from taking over. equal strength militarily. fight and fight and move two feet this way, two feet that way, get tired. when we decapitated iraq, iran is taking over the middle east and iran is taking over iraq. i said that would happen. i should get points when people think about he voting. i should get points for vision. because i was the only one that said of all of these people --
1:10 am
>> fact check that is definitely true, we've got back and looked at the quotes and you definitely did that. >> and you know who else has taken over? isis, isis was the disenfranchised people from iraq. so we got isis out of it. that was the dumbest war i mean -- well we've had some pretty dumb ones, vietnam was right in there, too. so now what happens is a that putin is in there, he's going to get quagmired, he's going to be stuck in the mud. and my attitude is, he's fighting isis, you notice he's hitting isis pretty hard today. he's fighting isis. >> there's a lot of other targets there, too the syrian rebels. two things, you would negotiate with putin, you'd have a better relationship? >> i would probably have a good relationship with him, maybe not. if i didn't, i'd have somebody that would. my whole life has been making great deals. that's what i do. not deals, great deals. >> two, you stand by the statement back in '08 and '07 that you would impeach george w. bush for getting into the iraq
1:11 am
war? >> i think he was a disaster. and i think it was one of the worst decisions ever made. he has totally destabilized the middle east. had saddam hussein still been in charge, you wouldn't have the problems that you have right now. i mean if you had gadhafi, if you had saddam hussein, look at the migration. now they're talking about taking 200,000 people -- you know what that's costing? billions of dollars, over a ten-year period. you're talking about billions and billions of dollars, talking about taking 200,000 people. no documentation, we have no idea where they come from. we have no idea who they are and the one thing i notice and i say it to everybody, i look at the migration, they're all young, mine there's so many young strong men. you said, the u.s. should take some refugees in. >> i did. >> you said you would send them back -- >> do you have -- >> they said would you take 3,000? i said i hate to do it because we're like the patsy for the rest of the world, why aren't the gulf states, saudi arabia,
1:12 am
bahrain, qatar, why aren't they taking some people? they're not taking any. maybe they're smart. they're not taking any, they're not putting up very much money, either. they're putting up almost no money. i like a safe zone built someplace in syria. a humanitarian basis, it's terrible. but when i look at these people, the migration, to so many young, strong men. we're going to take them? it could be the all-time great -- it probably isn't. but it could be the all-time great trojan horse. >> what's your number coming in? >> when i heard 3,000, this started a month ago and i heard 3,000. i said 3,000, couldn't somebody else do it? but the answer is yes. then i heard 10,000, okay. they're up now to over 200,000 people they want to take. these are crazy people. this is insane. not only militarily, not only from the standpoint of the trojan horse, meaning they come in and they turn out to be the enemy. and we pay for it, right?
1:13 am
that's a beauty. this would be greater than the example of the trojan horse this would blow the trojan horse away. >> we asked people on twitter if they had a question for you. one is that how would you as commander-in-chief confront putin if russia shot down one of our planes? if russia shot down a plane, what would you to be do? >> i don't think that would happen. because i would have a fairly different stance than a lot of other people. and i'm more militaristic than all of them. you know me, i'm more militaristic than all of them. you got to know when to do it we don't want russia shooting our planes down. we don't want to shoot their planes down. what are egetting? syria, we got to rebuild our country. i'm all for protection, i'm all for all of the things, i actually said because afghanistan is a little bit of a different situation -- and you're right next to pakistan and you know there's a lot of different things going on over there, leave our 5,000 troops there for a while. >> you're into that number? they're talking -- >> not that i want to. but you really have to.
1:14 am
leave some troops behind. because look, we should have never gone into iraq. i've said it loud and clear. i was visited by people from the white house asking me to sort of could i be silenced because i seem to get a disproportionate amount of publicity. i was very strong, you're going to destabilize the middle east that was a bush mistake. the obama mistake was taking out the 20,000 troops. taking out the troops. because it's possible that you'd have at least a semblance of stability. now you can't say, are we going to stay therefore ever? >> marco rubio, you sent him a little care package of water and a towel in. >> it was just in fun. i think he's a nice guy, honestly. but he started hitting me about two weeks ago. he was doing badly. he's doing fine. but he started hitting me. i don't know what it is about me. they hit me, perry hits me. all of them, they all seem to go down. i wish i could sell that. maybe we should use that in our military. hit him and they go down. but he did and you know you have to understand, he's very weak on
1:15 am
immigration. very weak and the water was just a little joke. he was making a response to the president of the united states on live television and i'm watching and i said -- what just happened? he grabbed the thing of water, container of water and i said that's one i've never seen before. we were just doing it in fun. >> here's whey said today. apparently the water is high-quality water, top-notch water that donald trump sent us. i want to thank him for the gift. >> i like him, too. honestly i wish the republicans could get together. you have to understand i'm a counterpuncher, i never start it i think you will say that bush started with me, and i've been very nice to bush. but i want to be nice to everybody. i think it's very important for the republicans to win, that they get along. i'm not looking to do this with everybody. i'm not looking to do this. the republicans have to, i want to get along with marco, i want to get along with bush, i want to get along with everybody and whoever wins, wins. >> you don't want to do center
1:16 am
seat. soy thought i would ask the panelists. a.b. stoddard, she asks does a stunt like delivering water bottles and towels to senator rubio because he sweats a lot help your candidacy, help the ultimate gop nominee win the general election or make america great again? >> i think we're just having fun, we're just having fun, a.b. i respect all the people on your panel. i have to tell you. >> here's her question. >> there was nobody nastier to trump than her and now i'm in love with her. >> you're still at the top of the polls. but your lead is beginning to shri shrink, says mara. do you think the gop vote remembers getting tired of you? >> no, i think the press is treating me very unfairly. i really do. if i go down a point, it's a headline. in florida i have 29 and bush and rubio have 11. and the headline is bush and rubio in tie for florida. i figured i was like a 2. i said wait a minute i'm killing them in florida and i'm not even
1:17 am
in the headline. i think i get treated unfairly by the press. but i think the people that are with me, i get the biggest crowds, bigger than bernie sanders, bigger than everybody. 35,000 people in mobile, alabama. 25,000 on three days' notice in dallas. you said the other day, a week ago in oklahoma, i had 20,000 people. i think people get it i don't think i'm treated fairly by the press. >> charles krauthammer, who by the way in canada casino put his first manmy. >> thank you, charles, i'm going to make you look good, charles. i was so impressed by that. >> the big debate between liberalism and conservatism is the size of government and scope. many of your proposals would require vastly expanding government's power, deporting 11 million illegal aliens, would be a massive law enforcement action. putting tariffs on companies who want to build companies in mexico would be an example of big government telling private
1:18 am
enterprise what to do. aren't you more of a strong government guy rather than a conservative limited government guy. >> i'm a strong military guy. i'm a strong military guy. but not for big government. we can do this with much smaller -- i want regulations off. i want taxes reduced. if you look at some of the things that's going on -- when you say illegal immigration, you know, we spent almost $300 billion a year, on illegal immigration? $300 billion. when we clean it up. and again, a lot of these people are terrific people, they're going to be coming back, but they come back legally. when we clean it up, we're going to make money that is not going to lose money. that's going to make money. i have great respect for charles, he speaks well of me about 3% of the time. he did put money down on me last time. >> that's an uptick. >> that was a shock. >> but small government? big government? >> i'm small government and i'm very little regulation. you know the regulations are killing, if you look at small businesses and big businesses, not even small, big businesses, but you look at businesses in
1:19 am
this country, they are regulated to a point they can't even function any more. no, i am a small government person, but-day want to have a very, very strong military. >> a lot of people just ask me why are you doing this. >> it's a question i do get. because i do, i have a wonderful thing, a great company, i built a great company, great family. because i want to make america great again. i see what's going wrong. i have wonderful energy, i'm blessed with good genes, my father was very old when he passed away. my mother was very old when she passed away. it's something that i want to do. i want to make america great again. that's my whole theme. and we can do it. and it's not even tough. when i straighten out the imbalances with china, with japan, with mexico, with brazil, with, by the way, everybody, everybody -- you're going to see things happen that will be -- really great. and i really enjoy do it. the other thing i must tell you, i'm energized by the crowds, i go out to iowa and new hampshire and south carolina and tennessee
1:20 am
and dallas and all of these places, i get thousands and thousands of people and it's like a love-fest. so i really enjoy doing it but we're going to make america great again. >> "new york times" magazine, an article, there's a certain prosperity theology aspect to trump's appeal. the idea that you follow a minister because he is rich and has his own plane and implicitly and sometimes explicitly promises that you, too, will be rich. do you think that is why you're doing well in america? that is a celebrity culture? >> i've had great success, if i didn't have degrees sket skes, i wouldn't be able to do nearly as well. i guess i could be a regular politician, but they haven't had great success, i've had great success, that's why i was chosen for "the apprentice" and lots of other things, which also became very successful. we have to make our country successful again. we have to make it rich again. you know it sounds a little crass, somebody says oh, that's not so nice to say rich. we have to make our country rich
1:21 am
again to become great again. but there is a little truth do that. i think so. i think people do follow because i have had a great deal of success in my life. and i think if i didn't, maybe you and i wouldn't be talking right now. you know when i say make our country great again. i think it can be greater than ever before. with that being said, it has to be done quickly. because we're going so fast in the wrong direction. that the next election is going to be very important. >> you're in it to win it? >> i'm in it to win it. >> thank you for your time. still ahead, will president obama go back on his pledge to withdraw all about 1,000 troops from afghanistan?
1:22 am
1:23 am
1:24 am
1:25 am
what to do about afghanistan in the short-term and long-term is once again a big topic here in the nation's capital. national security correspondent jennifer griffin has the latest. >> it's frank testimony on capitol hill, the top u.s. command anywhere afghanistan, general john campbell told lawmakers he would recommend the president rethink his promise to scale back the u.s. presence in afghanistan before leaving the office which could mean thousands of u.s. troops there. >> based on conditions on the
1:26 am
ground, based on the transitions i've talked about. i do believe we have do provide our senior leadership options different than the current plan we're going with. >> a senior pentagon official says they've recommended that the 3,000 to 5,000 troops remain after 2016. troops can quickly strike and assist the afghan military which general campbell admitted cannot stop the taliban, isis or al qaeda on their own. despite years of training and nearly $700 billion spent since the start of the war. >> they cannot handle t alone in this stage of their development. >> a stark contrast to what the president said in march, standing next to the afghan leader. >> we've been able to draw down and remove ourselves from a combat role as president ghani indicated without collapse as was predicted.
1:27 am
>> the president has promised to end the war, leaving behind an embassy force of just 1,000 u.s. troops. >> the date for us to have completed our draw-down, will not change. >> the u.s. air strike on a hospital in kunduz over the weekend may complicate u.s. efforts to get nato allies to stay. doctors without borders called attack a war crime, demanding an independent investigation. general campbell admitted to u.s. commanders authorized the strike. >> to be clear. the decision to provide air fire was a u.s. decision made within the u.s. chain of command. >> a hospital was mistakenly struck. we would never intentionally target a protected medical facility. >> tomorrow marks the 14th anniversary of the start of the afghan war, 2,215 u.s. service members have been killed. six airmen in a plane crash last week. after watching iraq and syria fall apart.
1:28 am
the u.s. military does not want to let the same thing happen in afghanistan. >> jennifer griffin live at the pentagon. defense secretary ashton carter said he's waiting for russia to call him back about its military activities in syria. carter wants a second meeting with moscow on ways to prevent accidents in increasingly crowded skies over syria. nato is denouncing what it calls russia's irresponsible behavior for allowing its war planes to cross into turkey. still ahead, picking up and drying out, the pieces in the rain-soaked carolinas. first, hillary clinton uses a top republican's gaffe to turn the tables on the benghazi committee.
1:29 am
1:30 am
1:31 am
1:32 am
hillary clinton is using a top republican's own words to discredit the benghazi investigation. or at least try to. but she may have bigger problems
1:33 am
on the horizon. here's chief white house correspondent ed henry. >> republicans finally admitted -- >> hillary clinton on offense with a new ad called "admit" pouncing on republican kevin mccarthy's gaffe. >> everybody thought hillary clinton was unbeatable, right? we put together a benghazi special committee. what are her numbers today? >> republicans have spent millions attacking hillary. >> the timing is key, it's aimed at maximum impact ahead of the republicans on thursday starting the process of deciding whether mccarthy will succeed speaker john boehner. while also letting clinton sow doubts about the motives of republican tray goudy. ahead of her public testimony before the house benghazi panel. the problem for clinton is she's also playing defense with a new revelation today the state department sent a letter to her personal attorney, david kendall, about a two-month gap in the official emails she turned over. the letter demanding to know why emails from january 2009,
1:34 am
between clinton and general david petraeus have emerged, despite her claim that official email did not start on the personal account until that march. state department official patrick kennedy writing kendall, as a result i ask that you confirm that with regard to her tenure as secretary of state, former secretary clinton has provided the department with all federal records in her possession. >> fox obtained a letter that said that backed up all the email on her server, do the deleted personal emails, are they still alive? were they saved and did this private company have access to official email that this had classified information? brett? >> we'll continue to look. the search continues meantime off the bahamas for whatever is left of a cargo ship that apparently sank during hurricane joaquin last week. the coast guard said the "el farro" is under 15,000 feet of
1:35 am
water. the death toll in this weekend's storms in the carolinas is now 17. 15 of those were in south carolina where the recovery effort from historic rains is just beginning. correspondent steve harrigan is in columbia tonight. >> as the water in south carolina recedes, the losses are beginning to take shape. the death toll climbs as more submerged cars are discovered. the structural damage is harder to estimate. there are ten dam failures across the state, putting pressure on roads and bridges that have so far withstood the flooding. and as the water moves south, more dams and the communities around them are at risk. >> just because there's no rain and just because the sun is out, we are now looking at downstreams, waters and other areas that are going to be affected. >> those who were forced to flee their homes quickly faced a tough choice -- what to bring. >> you never think of it really, how intense it is and how just, my daughter left with no shoes
1:36 am
on. we threw our cats in a suitcase and we hand a suitcase full of cats and the kids and we just go. >> susan jones was at home with three children and a dog when her house began going under water. >> it was very scarey. i will have to say that we were evacuated right here on a boat. so that was very scary. because my husband was out of town. and it was just me and my three kids and my dog, who doesn't swim. >> now the clean-up begins. >> we've taken out the rugs, that was what we were told, to rip out the carpet. that's all this over here and then the rugs. to try to help the mildew. >> in this family's story as in so many here, it's been neighbor saving neighbor. brett? >> steve, thank you. we'll continue to watch that. stocks were mixed today, the dow gained 14, the s&p 500 was down 7, the nasdaq was off 33. when we come back we'll break down my interview with
1:37 am
front-runner in the republican presidential race, donald trump and another sound byte you di
1:38 am
1:39 am
1:40 am
some cash back cards love to overcomplicate things. like limiting where you earn bonus cash back. why put up with that? but the quicksilver card from capital one likes to keep it simple. real simple. i'm talking easy like-a- walk-in-the-park, nothing-to-worry-about, man-that-feels-good simple. quicksilver earns you unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, everywhere. it's a simple question. what's in your wallet?
1:41 am
i promise no hand-raising questions today. 100%. >> there won't be one. >> that's good, i like to hear it. >>-day have a question about that. so three weeks after you raise your hand in that debate and say you can't take the pledge. you took the pledge. you signed the pledge. >> well i didn't say i can't take it i said i won't take it at that moment. and i have signed the pledge. and i'm honored to have signed. i think the republican party has been very fair with me. >> i can totally major that pledge if i'm the nominee. i can pledge i will not run as an independent and i am discussing it with everybody. but i'm talking about a lot of leverage. >> you said you wanted leverage. what did you get? >> i think i have leverage. i think i have leverage in the fact that i'm leading in every poll. that's my leverage.
1:42 am
>> did you get anything for doing the pledge? >> a lot of interest. i don't know about anything else. it was certainly a lot of interest. it was an interesting moment. we didn't know you were going to be doing that. >> donald trump in new york today. as we look at the real clear politics average of polls, as this race stands, while some polls have dietened, donald trump still is in the lead, and commanding lead in a lot of polls. meantime he has only spent $2 million so far. $2 million of his own money. comparison, ben carson has spent about $17 million. rand paul has spent about $8 million. and on the democratic side, hillary clinton has spent $43 million. let's bring in our panel. steve hayes, senior writer for the weekly standard. and mara liason and syndicated columnist, charles krauthammer. >> who would have known that the way to donald trump's heart so to speak couldn't help myself on
1:43 am
that, is by putting money on the man? who would have thought? surprise. and i wonder if he's revised his review of my book. as a result of that, look, i think he was, he's a much better candidate than he was at the beginning. much better on his feet in an interview. you know, when he started out, he wandered into a lot of twilight zone places, the deportation of the 12 million. the thing with john mccain. he didn't do that, it was a lot more disciplined. i think there is some trouble with the kilo. i think people haven't looked at that. >> that's the eminent domain case. >> where essentially a big guy, the government or a builder or whatever, kicks a little guy out of his house, his or her house, yes, for compensation. but it's a big deal and conservatives are rather concerned about that. so he dances around it. but i do think it's a weakness, nonetheless overall, i think he conducted a strong interview. >> mara? >> i think he did very well for himself. and i've been wrong about trump
1:44 am
before. i always say that he's -- surpassed my expectations, wildly. but he is for covering everyone, ala obamacare, there are a lot of things that he's done -- >> carried interest. >> there's a lot of things that he's for. club for growth that other conservatives don't like and he's still at the top of the polls. >> it's not just that he crosses an ideological line it contradicts his pose as the populist. he's for the lye little guy against the little guy. this is a clear example of where the little guy, his house gets knocked over. that's why i think it's a problem. >> it's nice that my fellow panelists get a little flattery from donald trump and they swoon. think what nk it was a very he said about eminent domain will stick with him for a long
1:45 am
time and has surprised some conservatives. he told you eminent domain is wonderful. and what i thought was very telling in that section of the interview is that he was passionate about this. he believes this with every fiber of his being. he called the people who you know, won't give up their property, he called them hold-outs. in many cases you get a hold-out. he said. they're not hold-outs, they're property owners. he said the conservatives don't really understand eminent domain and that's why they oppose it. no, in fact most conservatives do understand eminent domain. they know that john locke, the father of american political theory believed there were three natural rights, life, liberty and property. and property is the among the most important natural rights. for any human being. the fact that donald trump thinks that developers and business through the hand of government can go in and seize property -- i find that stunning. talk about it an embrace of big government. it's not that he really danced
1:46 am
around it, charles, i disagree with you, this was a full and passionate embrace of eminent domain and the power of government to go after the little guy. >> i want to play another segment. obviously we covered the whole gifting of the water bottles and towels to marco rubio. a little joke he said. and i asked him about his late-night tweets. >> do you think the late-night twitter thing sometimes you go over the -- >> probably. but the ultimate -- >> you know what, so i am. i was going to mention jeb, but i refuse to do it. when you try to be somebody, when you try to be somebody that you're not, let's say i make a statement and he tries to change -- can't do that. he's a good man. you can't do that. you got to be yourself. and i'm being myself. so if i do a tweet late at night because i don't sleep that much because i'm thinking about a lot of things, now i'm thinking about this i can't believe i'm a politician, can you believe this? i'm a politician, all my life
1:47 am
i've disrespected politicians now i have to say i guess i'm a politician, but i think we're going to have victory and i really believe once i'm there i think it's going to be something that will be -- >> charles? >> that's the theme of his campaign. believe me. how you going to -- >> believe me. i'll build it, i'll come in under budget it will be a beautiful wall. it will come in at half of ha people say. china, i'll defeat china. how you going to do it? believe me, i'll do it america, i'm going to bring in the most jobs in the history of mankind. how you going to do it? believe me. he's running a campaign on belief and as you said in your question, a lot of it revolves around the fact that not just he's been a success in business, but he's been a personality on television for 14 years, with a persona is, a guy in charge, a guy in command. and it carried over into this campaign. that's why i think his numbers are high. i'm not sure that can actually last. but i've been wrong before about him. >> has the political dynamic
1:48 am
changed? where this celebrity culture and it was the last question i asked, about mark lebowitz that people look around at him flying around in a 747 and look at him and think, i can be that, i can get rich. >> i don't know exactly that's what he's selling. there's been interesting articles about norman vincent peele, the power of positive thinking. i think he's so authentic and so compelling. people love to watch the trump show and he sounds like he believes what he's talking about, because he does. and that's part of his strength. >> but the syria answer, he continues to say, hey, it's okay that russia is there, they're taking out syrian rebels that he's backed. >> it was hard to come out with much from the syria answer, i would be interested to know if in five years, there is this iran/syria/russia dominance over the middle east. if he thinks that would be in
1:49 am
american interests. i think the one point you made in passing as you were leading up to a question is that refuses to do the center-seat interview. which i think is really sad. >> he's the political superman. and all of the other republican candidates are going to sit down here and take lessons from the panel and donald trump refused to do it i think it's weak. >> next up, the hospital bombing in afghanistan, how many troops will president obama leave behind?
1:50 am
test
1:51 am
1:52 am
1:53 am
a hospital was mistakenly struck. we never intentionally target a protected medical facility. >> before i do want go further, i do want the investigator to collect all the information and provide the full accounting that the president has asked for. >> well, the investigation now continues into the strike on the hospital in afghanistan. meantime, a senior defense official tells fox the pentagon has recommended 3 to 5,000 troops stay in afghanistan past 2016. we're back with the panel. steve? >> that's not a significant number. remember, the uptick we have seen in violence over the past couple of years has happened with 10,000 troops on the ground. so leaving
1:54 am
5,000 is certainly no panacea. look, you played a clip earlier in the show showing president obama with president ghani of afghanistan. in effect taking a victory lap for peace and stability on the ground in afghanistan. bill from long war are journal which i think is the indispensable publication if you want to understand the war on terror did a study where he went back and looked at press releases from the coalition from 2007 to 2014. it's a myth that afghanistan was a land of peace and stability it never was. you can go back and look at those press releases and they are talking about what the coalition was doing. this is the administration's rhetoric catching up with it. >> mara, significant though for this administration to suddenly increase where they were. this president clearly wanted to get everybody out by the end of his term. >> hey, but he can't get everybody out and leave complete chaos. that's also not good for his legacy. i think he will leave people there i think the next president will increase the number. >> charles? >> because that's obama's only objective. he wants to actually be out
1:55 am
of office if and when the calamity happens. in everything he does in both wars, all wars is half measures. he did it in libya where there was no follow-up. he is doing it in afghanistan. as steve says, that's half the number of troops that we have now. will do nothing more than hold the fort for a couple of months until he is out of office. he did the same in iraq where he left no troops and we see what's happened. he did the same in syria where he has had this pretend air campaign. the russians are are doing twice many sorties every day with a tenth of the forces that we have. and, of course, the results are are minimal. so his only objective is to get without the house on fire. >> one thing i forgot in the last panel was overlooked in our discussion was that donald trump would impeach george w. bush and stood by that statement in 2007-2008. >> he is still pretending that he opposed the iraq war despite the fact that the huffington post can't find evidence that he actually opposed it before the war. he opposed it in 20044 when
1:56 am
a lot of people turned on the war. >> he did. and that's what i was referencing all the articles that said he was against the war. >> he did in 2004, right. >> he claims to be have predicted that the middle east would go into chaos if you depose these dictators. >> you have to produce evidence to back that up. >> he predicted it 14 months after the war started. >> okay. with that, more on this tomorrow, thanks for inviting us into your home tonight. that's it for this "special "spl report," fair, balanced and unafraid. a little different show tonight. greta goes "on the record" after this short break. ♪ ♪ stamps.com is the best.
1:57 am
i don't have to leave my desk and get up and go to the post office anymore. [ male announcer ] with stamps.com you can print real u.s. postage for all your letters and packages. i have exactly the amount of postage i need, the instant i need it. can you print only stamps? no... first class. priority mail. certified. international. and the mail man picks it up.
1:58 am
i don't leave the shop anymore. [ male announcer ] get a 4 week trial plus $100 in extras including postage and a digital scale. go to stamps.com/save and never go to the post office again. >> fighting back, doctors without borders responds overnight after the u.s. changes it is storr reagain about the afghan hospital attack.
1:59 am
>> today we say enough. even war has rules. >> the new fallout for a military strategy there in the middle east. >> thousands of convicts back on the street as part of president obama's push to reduce the prison population. the criminals about to walk free. >> help me. >> we have all been in that situation. you think it's a tight squeeze now the airlines that sat passengers on top of each other. "fox & friends first" starts right now.
2:00 am
>> good morning to you. you are watching "fox & friends first" on this wednesday. a live shot of time's square. let's get right to the news. a fox news alert. a fact finding investigation saying the deaths of the doctors and patients cannot be dismissed as collateral damage. >> it came hours after the department of defense admitted the strike was a mistake. kristin fish is live in washington with the breaking news. >> about an hour ago doctors without borders announced they are calling for a humanitarian fact finding convention. 20 people were killed in the air strikes including 12 people without

46 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on