Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX News  October 18, 2015 3:00pm-4:01pm PDT

3:00 pm
o'clock and at 5 o'clock p.m. eastern with the latest buzz. >> i am chris wallace. the frontrunner in the g.o.p. presidential race, donald trump, face-to-face, only on fox news sunday. >> last time we talked 24 million people watched. and sparks flew. is that how he should run the country? >> you are living in a world of make believe. >> today, round two. >> do you blame george w. bush for 9/11? >> are you a little thin skinned? >> we go in democrat the with donald trump on fox news sunday for the first time as candidate. >> hillary clinton faces her moment of truth with the benghazi committee. after she declared her first debate a success. >> thanks to each of you.
quote
3:01 pm
we are going to win! >> we will ask our sunday panel what she can expect from a much less receptive audience on capitol hill. >> our power player of the week. >> you cook, everyone shows. >> the barefoot contessa. >> hello, again, from washington. it took a while but donald trump finale agreed to an interview on fox news sunday. i asked him some tough questions in the fox debate which he did not like and made that very clear. now, two months later he sat down for an incitizenth -- in-depth interview at the golf club outside washington and discussed lend and the dust up with president bush and why he fires back with other candidates and reporters like me. it was vintage trump. >> good to see you. >> thank you. it has become almost a cliche
3:02 pm
people are fed up with politicians. back when you announced in june most of the so-called experts, including me, thought you had no chance would end up voting for someone with political experience. how did you know that discontent, from frustration with the system would be the mood in 2015? >> i felt it. i felt it from within. we have tremendous discontent in the country and tremendous problems in the country and i felt it early or i would not do this. >> before we dig into some issues how much of a disruptor would you be? quick questions, quick answers lightning round. would you be willing to use the debt limit and risk the possibility of the country going into default to get more spending cuts? >> i want to be unpredictable because we need unpredictability. everything is so predictability.
3:03 pm
i would be very strong on the debt limit. i would be asking for very big pound of nearby if i were the republicans. the problem with the republicans they have two sides, the smaller side is very strong and the other side is always agreeing. you cannot do that. >> would you be willing to shut down the government in order to de-fund planned parenthood or other key policy? >> i want to show unpredictability. you cannot go around and say that. planned parenthood should absolutely be denewspaperred. if you look at what is going on it is terrible. and many other things should be defunded and many things should be cut. >> you said in august you are "fine," with affirmative action. what about conservative whose say the time for that treatment has come and gone. >> we have it. it is there. it is coming to a time when maybe we do not need it. i don't think we need it so much
3:04 pm
anymore. it has served its place. some people have loved it. some don't like it at all. there will be a time when you do not need it. >> you are one of the few would has a detailed tax plan. we will drill down into that. you would cut the seven tax brackets do four, 30, 10 percent, 20 percent, 25 percent and cut corporate tax from 35 percent to 15 percent and limit deductions for higher income earners and you would eliminate carried interest, tax treatment for hedge funders. >> the thing is we have the highest tax rate in the world, the highest tax rate l is gridlock this washington because this is no leadership. this is a large tax cut especially for the middle-class and they will have a dynamic country, dynamic economics and it will be something special and people are going back to work. >> this are two conditions. the conservative tax foundation
3:05 pm
says over 10 years you would create or add $10 trillion to the deficit and there is the question of who would benefit under your tax plan. the tax foundation said the middle-class with see after tax income increase 7.2 percent. the top 1 percent would see a spike of 21.6 percent. between that and ending the estate tax the trump family and folk like you would make out from. >> the estate tax has been a disaster. it is double taxation, some could say triple taxation. >> how about blowing a whole in the deficit and the top 10 percent makes out better. >> if the committee is better. the who is sick. we are losing our jobs to china, to japan, tory country and making horrible trade deals and we are losing jobs, hundreds and hundreds of thousands of jobs are lost. part of the reason is our taxes are so high. i am cutting them. they do nut talk about that. i do that in a different poll
3:06 pm
segment. >> we are going to cut tremendous amounts of money and waste and fraud and abuse. they --. >> would you cut departments? >> no services but spending. i could cut the department of education. i believe common core is bad. i believe we should be educating our children from iowa, from new hampshire, from south carolina, from california, from new york, it should be local education. if you look at jeb bush and some of the others they want them to be educated by washington, dc borrow creates. department of education is one. epa, what they do is a disembrace. each week they have new regulations --. >> they protect the environment. >> you cannot destroy business. >> you brought up trade. you would end nafta, impose tariffs on some products like 35 percent on ford cars made in mexico but the "wall street
3:07 pm
journal" said you are running as "the post antitrade candidate since hoover." >> the "wall street journal" was bought for $5 billion and now it is worth $500 million. they don't have to tell me what did do much the wall street journal has been wrong so many times about soen ma things. i am for free trade but it has to be fair. when ford moves their plant to mexico we get nothing. what did we get? >> i want to pick up on that --. ought point is i don't want them to move their plans but stay in minute. i want them to stay in all of the plays where they are or expand but i want it in the united states. why want them to go to mexico or china. >> the conservative american speaker rise institute said, look, truck trouble owns a dozen hotels, prosecutes, -- properties all over the world and your clothing line, some is made in mexico and china the.
3:08 pm
>> i want it made here but they say you are doing what ford is taking advantage of a global trading mark k. >> i put it in my speeches and say the tie are made in china and different things but why want that. i bought 4,000 television sets and they come from south korea but we defend them for nothing with 28,000 soldiers. why want to order from south korea, i don't think anyone makes television sets in the united states. i want to order from here. we don't make anything. you look at boeing, going over to china and building a massive laboratory because china is demanding it to order airplanes so boeing is going to china and building a plant. >> you say eminent domain is wonderful --. >> it is something you need. if --. >> i know what you are saying but if i build a highway and manage is in the way of the highway you have to do
3:09 pm
something. >> i understand and that is the idea of taking private property for a public use --. >> and the people are paid for it. they are paid a lot of money. >> in the big supreme court case in 2005 they took someone's home and they bought it and gave it, sold it, to private entrepreneurs, private developers and that is the question. >> thank you is different. >> that is different. >> do you support taking private property for private use? >> if someone has a property in the middle of 7,000 job factory as an example, that will hoof into the town but they need this one corner of the rot and it will provide 7,000 johns in a community that is dying, which we have many in this country, i am for that. it is a big economic development. remember this, all of the people we are talking about, they are my friends they love the keystone xl pipeline, right? it is imminent domain.
3:10 pm
they are building the pipeline without eminem domain. >> you were involved in a case like this --. >> it was economic development. >> in atlantic city you had your hotel and you wanted to build a parking lot and a woman had her house and the question is, why do you need to take her house for a parking lot? >> i have a hotel and to, expand the hotel and add 2,000 rooms i would have had -- the 2,000 rooms would have provided 2,500 jobs. i offered a lot of money, and i did not do it. it saved me a last money because atlantic city i had the good sense to leave. that would have been a good case because you would provide thousands of jobs and this is a woman that could not care less about the houses she warned money. >> something you said on friday stirred up controversy about george bush and the twin towers. >> the world trade center came
3:11 pm
down during his time. >> hold on. you cannot blame george bush for that. >> he was president. don't blame him or not but he was president. the world trade center came down during his reign. >> jeb bush responded saying, how pathetic. question, do you blame george w. bush? >> jeb said we were safe with my brother, we were safe. well, the with the just down. am i trying to blame him? i am not blaming anyone but the world trade center came down. he said we were safe, that is not safe, we lost 3,000 people probably the greatest catastrophe in this country ever if you think about it. >> someone said, well it where not be different i am extremely tough on illegal immigration. i am tough on people coming into this cup. i believe if i were running things i doubt the families, those people would have been in the country so there is a good chance those people would not have been in our country.
3:12 pm
with that being said i'm not blaming george bush but i don't want jeb bush to say my brother weapon us safe because 9/11 was one of the worst days in the history of this cup. >> there is were more to come of our interview with donald trump and we asked him where he stands in the polls, the shots he takes at politics and reporters and? he is the run nominee how he will take on hillary clinton. but, first, our sunday group on on the testimony of hillary clinton on the house of representatives benghazi representatives benghazi committee. at ally bank no branches equals great rates. it's a fact. kind of like playing the boss equals the boss wins. wow!
3:13 pm
so jill, i know the markets have taken a hit lately. mm hmm. just wanted to touch base. how did edward jones come to manage
3:14 pm
over $800 billion dollars in assets? huh. okay. here's our latest market outlook. two things that i'd like to point out... through face time when you really need it. so that's interesting, you know we had spoken about that before. it's how edward jones makes sense of investing. awe believe active management can protect capital long term. active management can tap global insights. active management can seek to outperform. that's the power of active management.
3:15 pm
3:16 pm
let's just take a minute and point out this committee is basically an arm of the reicl >> this committee is basically an arm of the republican national committee. >> hillary clinton setting the stage for the testimony on thursday before the house of representatives benghazi committee. it is time now for our sunday group, brit hume, fox senior political analyst and lisa lerer with the associated press and george will, syndicated column mist and charles lane from the "washington post" and, bright, there is now do that hillary clinton has been helped and making it about comments by house of representatives republicans who said that the committee was all about trying to hurt her poll numbers but she had to testify before them all day and they obviously will ask her questions on the basis of their 17-month investigation. given that, what do you expect from the committee?
3:17 pm
>> long experience has taught me that most congressional hearings particularly those that are hyper publicized the way this has been do not live up to expectations. we can look back to the watergate committee and revelations that came out but that was a different circumstance if a couple of way. the watergate committee was, really, quite a bit bipartisan. a number of republicans were on the committee deciding to join the group to pursue richard nixon and the administration. that is not true here. this committee is divided totally along partisan lines. the questions go back and forth noon the members as you go and it breaks up lines of questioning so it is a format that favors the witness. as we saw in the debate, hillary clinton is a capable advocate especially for herself. they could do great. they could produce things we have fought seen before. i would not be certain that will happen.
3:18 pm
>> of course, that is the point, we do not know what we don't know they have been together for 17 months and resolution thousands and thousands of e-mails. the e-mails have not been in evidence before but we asked you for questions for the committee. suzanne, why did he lie and say it was a video and she knew it was a terror attack, and another, will she be hooked up to a lie detector. lisa, what do you hear from the clinton campaign? >> the clinton campaign is publicly putting on a very strong face they think this is purely partisan exercise and they will not be able to go beyond the scope of just benghazi arguing that hillary clinton has been testifying before congress for a very long
3:19 pm
time, it is a form she is comfortable with. her schedule is clear for monday, tuesday and wednesday. that leads one to believe she is spending a last time preparing for the committee, the hearing, and they know it is a very important moment for her and they see october as a time to right ship. they are happy with the performance on the debate and hope she can do something similar this week with the performance in front of the committee. >> this is basically, if it is a question of rhetoric she will win but the competent is, there are facts. do you get any sense from them they worry the committee may have come up with a new fact? >> they are slightly worried about spries but why thing it is a major concern. this issue is not going away. there will an slow drip of the e-mails up until there is a court ordered mandate that every month the e-mails will be released into three days before the iowa caucus. her campaign has reconciled themselves to the fact they are beginning to be living with this issue for the duration of the
3:20 pm
campaign and for the primary and probable through the general election. even if there are new facts that come out, they have made their peace with it and ready and engaged to spin them whatever way is necessary. >> there is president obama who reportedly angered the f.b.i. agents would have been investigating hillary clinton's e-mail and whether there was classified information on them by on "60 minutes," had was in wrongdoing. >> this is not a situation where america's national security was endangered. >> george, is the fbi being too sensitive? or do you think the president was trying to put his thumb on the scales of justice and basically sending a memorial, lay off. >> it is not being too sensitive because we have seen this before. when the i.r.s. scandal broke and the i.r.s. said, yes, we did something wrong but it was rogue agents in cincinnati, as the
3:21 pm
investigation or non-investigation began the president said, this is terrible stuff going on and he sat down with bill o'reilly i believe on super bowl sunday and sought not a bit of evidence. how did he know this? i don't know. which was no investigation. whether that intimidated the department we do not know. and we do not know if the department of justice needs to be intimidated. we will learn more when there are impeachment proceedings of the i.r.s. who is continuing the coverup. the members of the house of representatives want this to happen. fast forward to what we just saw, the president said, again, before an investigation or before he knows of the investigation, and he certainly should not know what the f.b.i. is doing, he rejudges what they are finding or not finding. they should of course feel if not intimidated, i don't think you can intimidate this f.b.i.
3:22 pm
they -- i should give a full disclosure my son and an file agent and this takes place this the context conditioned by the david petraeus case where similarities --. >> that is the from american general but he was c.i.a. director. go ahead. >> if president obama actually knows this was no national security implication, presumably mr. biden knows that. on the other hand, if the president was firing a shot across the bow at the f.b.i. it is because he is worried and perhaps mr. biden has information about legal jeopardy that hillary clinton is in. >> that is complicated. we get back do biden this a meant but i want to pick up on hillary clinton and the debate. she had a strong debate by all accounts and steadied a campaign that seemed to be in some
3:23 pm
trouble but one curious moment weapon she was asked about which of her enemies she was most proud of. >> in addition to the n.r.a., the health insurance companies, the drug companies, the iranian iranians...probably the republicans. >> the iranians and the republicans. after, she was just kidding. was she? >> i don't think so. i think she feels very much hostile to the republicans and they feel very hostile to her. she -- the question was your onenly and she took five enemies and if you think about it she is equating the n.r.a. with the iranians and the health insurance with the republicans and so forth. but what was -- the way it played on television was a net
3:24 pm
plus because it was humorous and she was smiling, relaxed, at ease, the nature of performance all the way through that debate. she slayed a lot of dragons that were bothering her in the campaign and she comes into this benghazi hearing on the upnote which to go back to benghazi we thought she would be coming in hounded and harassed and down but she is brimming with confidence and handed a couple of errors by kevin mccarthy and company and we have seen also in the hearings where the witness turns the tables on the committee, including oliver north and i would not be surprised if she is looking for a way to do that. >> it comes down to the fact. the competent has something in 17 months and $5 million or they have not and that be the key. in the time we have remaining, the continuing mystery of joe
3:25 pm
biden and whether he will get into this race, lisa that is what you do for a living. >> no one really knows except for psychiatry biden and his family and a couple of close advisors but each day he waits it is harder. you have hillary clinton with $30 million in the bank and bernie sanders with close to $30 million in bang and they have people all over the country she has 22 people in nevada. >> a couple of interesting things, let me interrupt, that biden did, he had his closest people, his replacement in the senate saying the door is not closed, i could get in and if i get in i will need you yesterday and talking to the head of the firefighters and he is making an effort to stay in the conversation. >> he certainly wants to learn the option open for him to get in the race. he is walking the benghazi hearing as closely as anyone
3:26 pm
else. >> will he wait until benghazi? >> he will want to see how she performs and whether there is a new fact that comes out, something very dams that makes her untenable but coming in this late it is a tough road to climb. >> brit, your feeling of what is going on? >> the post debate, hillary clinton looks stronger because she came out well. for democrats. that has to discoverage him. i still think that the effects of the grief he feels about death of his son weigh only he is 72 years old. this is a horribly hard slog against an unhill battle and i think he has less reason to get in now that he did a week ago which does not mean he will not
3:27 pm
do it. >> we have to take a break. we will have part two of our interview with donald trump. hear what he says about carly fiorina calling him out over the cnbc debate and his reaction to an interview with my father 30 years ago. understands the life behind it. for those who've served and the families who've supported them, we offer our best service in return. ♪ usaa. we know what it means to serve. get an insurance quote and see why 92% of our members plan to stay for life. ♪
3:28 pm
3:29 pm
when i went on to ancestry, i just put in the name yes, we are twins. of my parents and my grandparents. i was getting all these leaves and i was going back generation after generation. you start to see documents and you see signatures of people that you've never met. i mean, you don't know these people, but you feel like you do. you get connected to them. i wish that i could get into a time machine and go back 100 years, 200 years and just meet these people. being on ancestry just made me feel like i belonged somewhere. discover your story. start searching for free now at ancestry.com.
3:30 pm
>> a look outside washington, dc a at the trump golf club in sterling, virginia, where we spoke to g.o.p. frontrunner, donald trump. >> why does trump take shots at the other candidates and stay up night sending tweets? you will find it revealing. >> according to the latest polls you are leading everywhere, naturally, in all of the early states and nationally you are at 23.8 percent and leading down 7 points in the last month. in iowa, 22.3 percent, down six points new hampshire 26.3 percent, and let me make it clear you are still ling. why are the numbers going down. >> i don't think they have. we just had a reuters poll on 33 and as you know in nevada at 20 points ahead of second place and we had one come out in south carolina where i am 18 or 20 points ahead and the polls now
3:31 pm
are better than they have ever been and what you are doing is obsolete information. >> that is okay. i am leading in everything. >> late this week you forced, you and ben carson forced cnbc to change the ground rules for the debate. carly fiorina went after you and ben carson saying first of all, what are they scared about sanding for three hours and then said this. >> they asked for prepared statements, prepared statements are what politicians do. so, honestly, two outsiders supposedly, and ben carson and donald trump sound like politicians to me. >> she is going nowhere, she has dropped hike a rock. i could stand there for 12 hours, i could stand there for 20 hours, but the people cannot take it. who wents to watch a debate for three hours? i could not watch hillary clinton for an hour and a half. when i heard it was three hours that was only to make more money for the network i said i wrote
3:32 pm
not participate. i thought the cnn debate was ridiculous, it was too long and people were turning off. who will watch a debate that long. it used to be an hour weapon it started. it used to get no rating and both cnn and fox broke the record on cable television. do you have why? >> maybe it was because of the moderators. >> i think so. i do. >> great moderators. >> the question of temperament which you would agree is important in a president. what is the deal with the tweets? why do you watch tv at night and tweet? >> it is fun, a great way of getting my word out. i love twitter and tweeting and define that and facebook i have 10 million followers. now if you do something bad i can tweet about chris and the world will be seeing you. >> and you have. >> truthfully it is an amazing way. >> does mrs. truck -- mrs. trump
3:33 pm
say donald come to bed? >> i don't do it that much. we to get with it in the modern age. twitter and facebook and all of this stuff is, to me, for some reason i am probably not the youngest person using it but it works very well. i am setting records. before the democratic debate, -- it is really the democrat debate , now the democratic debate, i picked up more follow ers than anyone else and some said i won the debate because i picked up the followers. it is a great modern way to get out the world. >> you have called marco rubio a pup pit, jeb bush low energy, and bernie sanders a mainian -- maniac. >> and a communist. >> and a communist. >> i am run against a lot people
3:34 pm
and they attacked me viciously, viciously, i thought bernie was a nice good and he was always very nice and, boom, i hit hard. i hit rand paul hard. i am a counter puncher. if you look at what they say about me it is terrible. jindal, talk about lightweights he is a lightweight and i don't we everyone know this man and he hit me, to pick up something in their presidents what i am most honored about servicery single person that went after me, including jeb bush who is down, bam every person that went after me has gone way down. i am very honored by that. that is what the country needs. the country need as leader that when the country is hit we will come out on top and not keep going down because we are going down, our country is going down. >> i want do bring up the subject, hear me out of you and
3:35 pm
me during the debate i asked you a question of bankruptcy. >> right. >> you i thought gave a fine answer. >> the lenders are killers, not babies, you are living in a world of the make believe. >> then, for a week, you go after me and say mood is pouring out of my eyes and compare me unfavorably do my father and i agree he is one-of-a-kind. here is the question, you are running for president, we talk to chris christie about bridge-gate, to carly fiorina about --. >> destroying the company. it is not personal. >> are you thin skinned? >> only when someone says bad things that are false. for instance, if you hit me about something that is true, the bankruptcy, i used that as a tool, i did not have to file for bankruptcy. i have done it four times --. >> it is just a question. the way it was phrased.
3:36 pm
i can see the eyes. it was a tool i used brillantly and phrased incorrectly in my opinion, the question and you would not ask these people about bankruptcy but you ask me. >> i asked carly fiorina. >> she destroyed the company that was easy. i am not thin skinned when it is truthfully. if i did something wrong i can handle it. it is when people hit me when i did not do anything. i will fight back. >> you say my father covered you in a much more fair manner so i decided to go back and look at your first profile on "60 minutes," talking about your successes and he talked that you were in a controversy then, the allege was you were trying to low middle class people out of a rent-controlled building so create condos for rich people. shear a clip. >> they call you arrogant and
3:37 pm
cruel those tenants does that get under youst. >> no because i am right and when i think i am right nothing bothers me. >> i have been doing this a long time. >> what happened to that nice soft spoken young man? >> no, no, no, no. >> it was very controversial and i thought it was fair. >> not to press my luck but true or false you at one point considered and tried to put homeless people in some of the participates to force the tenant to move out? >> i talked about doing it as a charity. i was thinking about doing that and i with have done that and it would have be mice and charitable. you have wealthy people living and paying $200 represent on 5th avenue or central park it is unfair and it is prove an unfair. >> hillary clinton testified before the house of representatives benghazi committee this week. what would you like to find out about her role in benghazi and her e-mails?
3:38 pm
>> it will be revealed. hillary clinton was one of the worst if not the worst if you look at the record, secretary of states, ever, ever, ever in this country. that is the bigger problem. i don't think benghazi is as big a problem for her as her past and what has happened. the world flaw up. it blew up an her. everything went bad weather it is libya or her tenure in iraq and this has been plenty of bad tenures having to do with iraq because of length, things that happened during her continuure were a disaster. she will go down as the worst secretary of state in the history of this country and that will be what i will be campaigning on. what will happen with benghazi? that will be very interesting. >> if you end up as the republican nominee and she is the democratic nominee, how do you take her on? >> on tough. on her record. i discuss her record. her record is abysmal. i take her on her record.
3:39 pm
>> mr. trump, thank you. >> great honor. thank you. >> next, our sunday group reacts to the interview with donald trump and well discuss president obama's big shift announcing he will keep troops in afghanistan beyond his time in the white house. what do you think, did president obama make the right decision in afghanistan? should he have sent if more? or pulled them all out. let me know use # fn. the only way to get better is to challenge yourself,
3:40 pm
3:41 pm
3:42 pm
and that's what we're doing at xfinity. we are challenging ourselves to improve every aspect of your experience. and this includes our commitment to being on time. every time. that's why if we're ever late for an appointment, we'll credit your account $20. it's our promise to you. we're doing everything we can to give you the best experience possible. because we should fit into your life. not the other way around. i'm not blaming george bush, but i don't want jeb bush to say >> i'm not blaming george bush but i don't want jeb bush saying my brother kept us safe because
3:43 pm
9/11 was one of the boston days on the country. >> donald trump standing if urge that president bush did not keep the country safe. brit, your reaction to the trump interview? his comments of bush and 9/11 and the woman thing? >> you did fine. he did fine. i say that meaning do his supporters who are pretty stable 20, 25 to 27 percent he did everything we are accustomed to that they love. blunt. outrageous at times in certain ways. but highly entertaining. i could sue as you did the interview that you were cracking up yourself, you cannot help it. it is what makes him so compelling at the core of his standing in the polls. >> i have to tell you, i dismissed trump early, all of
3:44 pm
the so-called experts, summer fling, moment airline amusement and as i watched the interview and heard pa he said about the country and about trade and losing and just the force his personality i am going to believe he could will elected president of the united states. >> i am not going to take that bet but i will say by the conventional rules . >> you would, you thing i am wrong? >> i am not going either way. by the conventional rues of links this is a guy that should have been out of the race a long-term ago. the numbers sudden have dropped after the summer and maybe before. we should not have him being such an outside presence. the frontrunner in this primary, he is defying the rules. we have no reason to expect he will not continue. the next debate will be interesting. he did seem to fade from the stage weapon the last debate got more policy or yenned and he -- oriented and he looked bored.
3:45 pm
>> flying around in your jet across the world to the various penthouses is more fun which running for president is graduating and hard and there is a question he could be tired of the process. >> in the time i have been with him i don't tension he is the least bit tired he knew up for an event in new hampshire on friday and in virginia for the involve and making a speech in virginia. georgeings i know you are going to look at me and shake your head, the voters are angry, fed up, they want something different, they went someone to knock down the pillars of the temple. >> i know a political seasoned veteran would saw a gathering of hispanic businessmen in virginia half the room of hispanic
3:46 pm
businessmen the veteran estimated were for trump. again, what he said is out rageous but not fact you'll saying can you not by a television made in the united states, when he gets to south carolina, the third state in the nominating process, he can visit factory where they make the televisions. >> wait, wait, wait. i have to say i agree, we do not make things. >> we do, we make televisions in second. >> but remember the great american t companies they are all gone. >> not all 89. >> you do not think that is a legitimate complaint we don't make products in this country? >> i do not. next, we are delighted and not complaining that the iphone you have in your pocket said designed in california and assembleed in china from parts from all over the world. the idea of where you manufacture a product today in
3:47 pm
the world makes little sense. >> direct your e-mails to mr. will. go ahead. >> maybe in the same vein as george i bring this down-to-earth. the trump interview which you did so well, affected me on twoful theres, i was smiling and laughing like everyone at the table at the performance and being entertained but i read the transcript of it, and looked at the words coming out of his mouth, it did not make sense. he said, we have too much predictability if this country. i want to be unpredictable that is a new campaign slogan, vote for me monos what i will do? the next minute after he said how great it is, to be unpredictable he said we must defund planned parenthood and three waffled on affirmative
3:48 pm
action, a lot people have a position on that and not donald trump. he wants to be the leader of the conservative party in this party. it is a disconclusion between -- disconnect between the 56 protect and the show he puts on and the substance. i insist it is lagging. he has tapped into the angst and people do not like that we do not make anything here. that is a myth. for the ropes george said but we are seeing a huge demonstration of the difference between feeling and fact. >> another big subject was president obama making a big reversal on afghanistan after pledging, for months, he was going to pull all united states troops out of afghanistan except for a thousand at the because as a contingency to safeguard that and he announced he will keep
3:49 pm
9,800 troops in afghanistan through next year trending down to 5,500 by the time he leaves office. here is the president. >> i'll america's combat mission in afghanistan could be over, our commitment to afghanistan and its people endures. as commander-in-chief i not allowance to be used as safe haven for terrorists to attack our nation again. >> why do you think the president changed his mind and like goldie looks, is it too much? too little? or is it just right? >> he changed because he is afraid we will have an obvious catastrophe on our hands in afghanistan and end up back where we started while he is still president. that is something to which he is very averse. he refers to have his failures beckmann fest after he is gone.
3:50 pm
the second point we are losing ground over there that our mission, our cause, you are hoped for result is fading with 10,000 troops present. he proposed to continue that what he proposed so do is that troop level. and collapse. if he wanted to fix this or change the fortunes, he doesn't want to do erthat. >> you talk aboutwo the fact th he doesn't want to see a disaster. wasn't it two competing ug legacies? and afghanistan has repeatedly been categorized by democrats as a good war. that was the one where john kerry said we took our eyes off the ball in order to go fight in iraq. so there's a certain attachment political attachment to the
3:51 pm
afghanistan effort. >> the big event was to take over the large city by the taliban, which then was followed by this ugly incident where in the course of trying to retake it we accidentally bombed the hospital and so forth. that may have tipped the balance. >> that's a hell of a strategy. keep the head above water until it's somebody else's problem? >> i think the president deserves credit for changing his mind. if we had just left 10,000
3:52 pm
troops and an almost failed state would not have occurred. they never quite step up and take full responsibility. advisors and air power, that's the president's recipe and seems to be worth a try. >> what's the feeling among democrats about our continuing commitment in afghanistan? and i guess you have to also say as compared to the possibility that it all goes to hell?ma >> it's a difficult situation. at the same time she's trying to cloak herself in a president who
3:53 pm
remains popular with democrats. she talked about it in an interview when she was specifically asked but not something she was advertising her views on. when she did make her comments she reserved the right to reassess. it's not a great issue for her. i don't expect to hear a lot about it. >> she did differ from the president in saying she would impose a no fly zone?s syria. there's always that question. is the to the left? her natural instincts going into iraq and libya seem to be for intervention. >> she's naturally more hawkish than him. we will see some of that come out. >> up next our power player of the week. the barefoot contessa makes cooking fun and easy.
3:54 pm
at ally bank no branches equals great rates. it's a fact. kind of like ordering wine equals pretending to know wine. pinot noir, which means peanut of the night. ♪ look how beautiful it is... honey, we need to talk. we do? i took the trash out. i know - and thank you so much for that. i think we should get a medicare supplement insurance plan. right now? whether you're new to medicare or not, you may know it only covers about 80% of your part b medical expenses. it's up to you to pay the difference. so think about an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, they help cover some of what medicare doesn't pay. i did a little research. with a medicare supplement plan, you'll be able to stay with your doctor... oh you know i love that guy. mmmmhmmm. these types of plans let you visit any doctor
3:55 pm
or hospital that accepts medicare patients. and, there are no networks. is this a one-size fits all kind of thing? no. there are lots of plan options. it all depends on what we need. and how much we want to spend. call now to request your free [decision guide]. it could help you find an aarp medicare supplement plan that's right for you. what happens when we travel? the plans go with us. anywhere in the country. i like that. you know what else? unitedhealthcare insurance company has years and years of experience. what do you say? i'm in. join the millions already enrolled in the only medicare supplement insurance... plans endorsed by aarp. remember, all medicare supplement plans help cover some of what medicare doesn't pay. and could really save you in out-of-pocket medical costs. you'll be able to choose your own doctor or hospital as long as they accept medicare patients. and with these plans,
3:56 pm
there could be low or no copays. you do your push-ups today? prepare to be amazed. don't wait. call today to request your free [decision guide], and find the aarp medicare supplement plan to go the distance with you. go long. awe believe active management can protect capital long term. active management can tap global insights. active management can seek to outperform. that's the power of active management. she says entertaining is hard. the trick is to ma she says entertaining is hard. the trick is to make it easier. she's been pulling that off for more than 16 years building an army of devoted fans along the way. here is our power player of the week. when you cook, everybody shows up. who's going to turn down a home cooked meal? they're so rare now.
3:57 pm
>> she is one of america's favorite home cooks. the barefoot contessa has created an empire. >> how many books do you have in print? >> well over 10 million. >> and the show on the food network she's been doing 14 y r years. >> how good does this look? i would say dinner's served. >> which is why the place was packed an appearance in washington. >> if i want to do a french apple tart, i know the flavor, texture and scale. and i keep making it until i get it absolutely perfect. >> that is her goal. kree yeah recipes for cozy meals that look the same on your table as they do in her cook book. >> you can make something really simple and have the same amount of fun. >> how do you make it simpler or more fun? >> i try to do three things for
3:58 pm
dinner. one that's made in the oven, one on the cook top and one made in advance. it's not a balancing act, but a really easy thing to do. so i plan really well. >> but her path could not have been less planned. in 1978 she was working in jimmy carter's budget office and not liking it. when she saw an ad for a food store in west hampton, new york. >> there was somebody baking cookies in the kitchen and i thought this is where i belong. >> where have you been all day? >> might have done a little shopping. >> this has been her bestfriend along the way and a featured character on her tv show. >> he does crazy goofy things.
3:59 pm
he's really smart and he's just a wonderful, wonderful guy. >> she built a barn next to her house where she tests her rec e recipes and tapes her show. >> there's a wonderful quote, work is easy fun is hard. i think people are drawn to people having fun and i love what i do and i think it really translates. >> how long? how long are you going to continue? >> until they drag me out by my feet. >> this gives it a complex flavor. >> every recipe is a science experiment. when i'm done with it and there's a ping in my head that says that's what i was looking for it's extremely satisfying and i love that. >> ina has been called both a great cook and business woman but most of the time she says no to new ventures. she loves what she's doing now and anything that pulls her away would be a distraction. and that's it for today. have a great week and we'll see you next fox news sunday.
4:00 pm
i'm patty ann brown and this is the fox report. the war of words between two republican candidates, donald trump and jeb bush, escalating on the sunday talk shows. trump again going after jeb for defending his brother, former president george w bush and his handling of the 9/11 terror attacks. listen. >> look, look. jeb said we were safe with my brother. we were safe. the world trade center just fell down. i'm not plaming anybody.

604 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on