Skip to main content

tv   The Five  FOX News  December 4, 2015 2:00pm-3:01pm PST

2:00 pm
>> detroit police chief james craig. and again the farook family indicating what so many other families have in circumstances like this, we never saw it coming. he was so quiet, so unassuming. who knew? now the world knows. this is a fox news alert. i'm kimberly guilfoyle and welcome to "the five." we're awaiting a news conference in los angeles, from the family of syed farook, the male suspect in the san bernardino attack. we'll bring it to you as soon as it begins. while we wait, the government is finally saying this -- >> as of today, based on the information and the facts as we know them, we are now investigating these horrific acts as an act of terrorism. >> that announcement was followed by an update from fbi director james comey. >> so far we have no indication that these killers are part of an organized larger group or form part of a cell. there's no indication that they
2:01 pm
are part of a network. there is nothing in our holdings about these two killers. there werects between either of the killers and subjects of our investigations. there were of such a significance that it raised these killers up on to our radar screen. we're obviously looking very closely at those contacts. but i would not want you to over-index on that just yet. >> it was terror. and that makes wednesday's shooting in san bernardino the deadliest terror attack on u.s. soil since 9/11. we have also learned that the female suspect, tashfeen malik, had pledged her allegiance to isis via facebook just as the deadly attack began. and we've gotten a look inside the home of the married terrorists, where can you see tab evide tapestries with arabic writing with phrases from the koran. >> as we've been talking about, investigators are on the ground
2:02 pm
knew from very long, felt it was a terrorist incident. we know they were getting pressures from above them to be very delicate about that. we were tipped off last evening that this press conference would happen today. that it would not come from washington, but come from the assistant director here on the ground. and he would call this a terrorist incident. again not much of a surprise to those who have been here for the last couple of days. it's been pointing in that direction from very early on. they told us that. what was interesting to us is the fact that he said there's no connection so far to anybody on an international level when it came to the terrorist types of groups. i'll tell you that those investigating this obviously have, are looking down that path. they say they believe that others were involved in this. they won't say whether that's domestically or internationally. they do also believe that somebody else helped fund this. as one said to me, there's no way the couple could have afforded all this stuff. and that has them believing that. but the wife is still a bit of a mystery. i have learned that her father, of pakistani descent had been living recently in saudi arabia.
2:03 pm
he was i'm told a postal worker of some sort in pakistan. but in saudi arabia he was living under quote comfortable circumstances. >> does anybody have a follow-up question for him based on that? >> you're taking a live look at the presser, where we're expecting the attorney of the family to come forward to speak. dana? >> there might not be a good answer to this i'm curious, adam, why do we not have a photograph or a picture of the wife? >> we're trying to get that -- we obviously handled this very delicately. obviously people went in and went through that house in a very questionable way once it was opened up. i can tell you that the fbi has told me, not only here locally, but nationally, that they got everything they needed to get out of that house. they went through it inch by inch. and they hand it back to the owner and the owner can do what they want to with it. one reason why they don't have a
2:04 pm
lot of photos of this woman is because, they've been calling her a bit mysterious from the beginning. i know there are photos out there that the officials do have, i'm not sure why they haven't released them to us. it is a bit of a mystery. i do agree with him on that. and that has hampered the investigation a little bit in the sense they don't have the same kind of trail that they have on him and his family, obviously. >> hey, adam, it's bolling. the money trail is very interesting to me. i think you had reported at some point today that the money trail led outside the united states. would you comment on that? and also james comey today made a comment that really struck me. stood out. he said a lot of the evidence doesn't make sense. any idea what he means by that? >> yes. well part of the problem they're having, eric, they still haven't ruled out al qaeda on this it's a situation where they have some al qaeda connections and then she pledged allegiance to isis. there are a lot of those things, theories they're working on. because she's so mysterious in
2:05 pm
this back and forth between pakistan and saudi arabia, and her father's connection, that's why some things don't make sense. i will tell you why there's a reason why loretta lynch was standing there. to insure that he didn't go too far. i got that not only from capitol hill, but from here. we knew it was going to happen an hour and a half before the press conference took place. as for the money trail, those investigating this case -- >> adam -- here's the family. >> this is david chesley, who represents the farook family in this matter. m-o-h-a m-m-a-d. a-b-e-r-u-r-s-h-a-d. and i'm david c-h-e-s-l-e-y . [ inaudible ] >> we don't represent the shooters. syed farook or tashfeen malik. we do represent the brother-in-law. and the mother of syed farook.
2:06 pm
and also his brothers and sisters. >> who is the brother-in-law? >> tarvan. >> can you guys go more in the middle? there you go. >> there's two sisters. and there's one brother. syed. farook, yes. >> so essentially the message that we want to give is that what we'd like to say on behalf of the families and the muslim community in general is that just as late as 1:00 p.m. today, the fbi chief james comey came out and said that there was no sign that the alleged shooters belonged to a larger
2:07 pm
organization. a larger organized terrorist group or terrorist cell. so i, i mean they're trying to or they, they have come up with some things where they're trying to say that they were inspired. by some groups. but there hasn't been any clear smoking gun evidence that they were part of any particular cell or any group. they're pointing to things that they saw on facebook, under different account names in the case of tashfeen malik. she supposedly had a facebook account set up under a different name that they say visited some, some group that may have been, had ties to you know, to more, you know -- >> more information keeps coming out, we're going to be able to identify which facts are accurate and which facts are
2:08 pm
not. that is the whole point of us meeting with the fbi. we've been in open communication with the agents of the fbi. we've been at their offices in riverside, we were there for about four hours yesterday and we'll be finishing up on monday hopefully with some of the other family members. as more facts come out about the types of relationships that each individual family had, we're going to be relating that to you guys as well. >> what can you say right now? what do you know about -- [ inaudible ] >> what we can say from our four-hour interview or the investigation that took place with the fbi yesterday is that none of the family members had any idea that this was going to take place. they were totally shocked. that is raheem, syra and eba, the brother and sisters of the alleged shooter had no idea, to the point where when they got word that there was an incident that had taken place, they were worried about the health and safety of syed and tashveen.
2:09 pm
because there's never been any evidence that either of the two alleged shooters was aggressive, had extremist views. they were, they were totally shocked that this could take place. as shocked as anybody else was. >> and the family members knew tashveen was a sister-in-law. they had a basic relationship with her. it wasn't overly close, but it wasn't too distant. so the information we have right now was shocking and surprising. the family found out the information that actually came out. there's no official, there's no official determination of what the reason was. when we actually were discussing everything with the fbi yesterday. and they're still going through their facts and diligence as we are as well. >> if there's anything remarkable about the investigation that took place yesterday, it is that no ties could really be established to the point of frustration on the part of the fbi.
2:10 pm
i mean you know if there's, if the most evidence there is to any affiliation is a facebook account under another person's name, that supposedly just visited some site, then that's, then that's hardly anything at all. and throughout the whole process of the investigation yesterday, it got to the point where the fbi actually said look, let us explain ourselves. we're trying to find evidence or information that could cause us to believe that, that the, that syed farook was in some way affiliated with this incident. like something inspired him to be involved in this incident. and, but the problem we're having is that we're not finding any evidence of any behavior that would be, that would show us that this would be the alleged shooter. >> why is that happening? we were all like we don't have any explanation for you, other
2:11 pm
than that there is no evidence. none of the family knew of him as being extreme or aggressive or having any extreme religious views. >> i think what the media should also be cautious about, is just because he had a religion, that he was muslim, it had nothing to do with these acts. islam does not agree, does not support any type of actions that occur like this. it does not support killing, it does not support murder of innocent individuals, and the family would never support anything like this. they're giving their hearts and prayers and everything else they can do to assist the victims that lost their lives that day as well. [ inaudible ] >> well see -- [ inaudible ] >> the fbi has -- the media is leading with just assuming that this is a terrorist situation. >> the point that the fbi is making is there's an
2:12 pm
investigation into this as a possible terrorist act. >> i think every investigation the fbi does when it's involving a muslim will involve some type of terrorist investigation. >> we're just relaying the information that they're -- what do you think the motive is then for the shooting? >> i mean there's, there was, there was information about the fact that his co-workers kind of made fun of him for example. and his beard. he was a very isolated -- introverted individual with really no friends that we could identify. like maybe one friend or no friends. and so i guess what we would say is that when an incident happens like this, when a christian goes to shoot up a planned parenthood or an extreme catholic goes and bombs an abortion clinic, all the headlines don't say, extremist rextreme ist radical christian, catholic. just like right now every headline is saying muslim and
2:13 pm
attaching muslim to it i think there's a tendency to take a cookie-cutter version or a paradigm of a terrorist type event and superimpose it on a situation just because that person is a muslim, belief or muslim tradition. i don't think we should jump to too many conclusions. in particular because we need to protect the muslim community and we're seeing a lot of infringements upon rights that are important to all of us. by this i mean we're talking about political candidates that could very likely be our next president who are saying things like we should register all muslims and that mosques should be investigated and looked into. or that the families of terrorists should be killed without due process. or the latest thing that was said was that it was known that it was going, that it was a terrorist act that was committed simply because the person had an islamic last name. and i think any of us sitting here could say look, if somebody said that they knew a heinous criminal act had been committed due to religion, just because it
2:14 pm
was a person of a certain last name, let's say it was committed, it was alleged to be committed on behalf of christians and you had a christian last name. or alleged to be committed on behalf of jews and you had a jewish last name and you're faced with being constantly attacked, there's, i have so many muslim friends and so many people that i work with that are muslim, and no one, every muslim community around the world has been in a state of remorse and condemnation of these acts. no one supports it. just as i think no christian or catholic would say oh yeah, that's a good catholic that bombed that, that abortion cline whichic or shot up that planned parenthood. we can't even use that example. because as of yet, like the fbi chief, james comey said, there has been no evidence that they've found yet. these are his words in the "l.a. times," as of 1:00 p.m. today. that they're linked to a larger
2:15 pm
organized or terrorist cell. and this is to the frustration of the fbi and everyone. because we all want, we all want an answer. we all are angry. we're all frustrated. we're all sad. we want justice. but unfortunately, some things in life aren't as clear cut as that. all there is thus far, is some nebulous thing that somebody looked at something on facebook. any one of us may have looked at something on facebook, it doesn't mean we believe in it i've checked out a britney spears post and i hate britney spears music. it doesn't mean that you condone whatever you look at or read or you fully believe in you're acting on behalf of whatever you look at or read. we just have to be protective of religious freedom in our country. of our fourth amendment rights, you know, the just recently the landlords let journalists into the apartment of syed farook. and there's media outlets going through there, taking pictures
2:16 pm
of people who were not either one of the suspects. they're invading their personal space. they're sending some inappropriate pictures as well. i think this is the whole point of the fbi's investigation. it's to determine what level and what actually caused this. you know, as david said, the "l.a. times" has reported what james comey has said and we're waiting to get more information as well. [ inaudible ] >> what do you mean by favorable attitudes? [ inaudible ] >> express sympathy toward isis. >> what evidence is there of that? what are you pointing to? in what ways did they express sympathy? >> the exact quote is the investigation so far is developing indications of radicalizations by the killers to potential inspirations by foreign terrorist organizations, he didn't say -- [ inaudible ] part of a local cell. these are his words. >> he's trying to say it was inspired by. but what i've read so far, we're
2:17 pm
all learning because the investigation is ongoing. we're the attorneys for the family, not the investigators. so none of us have all the information right now. but from what i've read, all i've seen is that somebody looked at something on facebook. there was another thing, there was another article i read that said that the fbi had investigated people who syed farook allegedly spoke to. but even those people that the fbi had investigated, nothing came up for any of those people. and this is the danger we're getting into. >> are you saying that you do not believe that there will be any connection to a foreign terror organization? >> i think what we're saying is that we still have to wait for the investigation to be done before we make any type of determination. >> isn't that what the fbi is saying? >> i think that the reports that have been coming out now, is that -- >> they're investigating. >> they're investigating it.
2:18 pm
but until an investigation is done, there cannot be made any type of determination if there was a group. if there was a connection to anybody. and the moment you start doing that -- >> are you saying we should not be pursuing the developments as they emerge? because the fbi is going through the process. and it is a process. and as they get information and as they find out things, we're reporting them. >> i think the idea of terrorist has been reported since this, this incident happened. so i think as the more information comes out, then the media can start making the report. and as we get information. >> shouldn't we report this? >> i think you shouldn't being making statements that there's a connection to a terrorist group until there's a solid link. >> we're criminal defense attorneys, we look for actual evidence. we can't jump to conclusions is what we believe. >> we listen to what the fbi says, because the fbi is gathering evidence. so we have to consider, we consider the fbi a credible source.
2:19 pm
>> right, yeah. i mean i just think that what we're looking at is like i said, when there's, when the fbi chief has literally come out and said, that they've found no link to a larger terrorist group, or terrorist cell, i think people need to listen to that and consider that. and every headline there is absolute clear evidence, every headline doesn't have to say, muslim massacre or muslim shooters. because it's, it's going to cause intolerance and what we need right now is forgiveness, i think. although this is, there were muslim people and muslim families involved in this incident. and as a primarily christian nation, i think we're a people of mercy and forgiveness. and i think we need to avoid bigotry. stereotyping. anything that we would be uncomfortable happening to us as christians, we should try to avoid doing that to muslims as
2:20 pm
well. [ inaudible ] >> some of the reports you've heard that link these acts to terrorism prematurely. >> i don't think we're here to criticize. >> we're here to protect the clients and they happen to be muslims and the muslim community and also to stand up for the victims and grieve the victims and to say we're remorseful for what took place. and the muslim community doesn't support or condone what took place, no muslim does. nationwide. every single muslim leader has come out and said this is not a muslim act. when someone goes crazy and commits an act that could totally be work-related, it doesn't make a statement on behalf of an entire religion. we're trying to protect people and at the same time, we're still in mourning for both the family and the victims and it was tragic, it's horrible. and we're trying to heal the nation i think as a whole. [ inaudible ]
2:21 pm
>> did the family see any evidence of disgruntlement in the workplace. >> there was a mention, where he got teased about his beard. but there's nothing else about that. he shrugle off any type of jokes that people made about his facial hair appearance. >> that's what you read? >> that's what the family said. >> they never did and that's, that's why, we're just making sure that we're not over-zealous in their characterization of these events until strong evidence comes out showing that this was indeed affiliated with something. and i guess the frustration comes from we sat through this four-hour interview with the fbi
2:22 pm
a and. >> there's more interviews that we'll be conducting with the fbi. i do caution on making any type of judgment before everything is done. >> during that investigation i would say we as attorneys, as criminal defense attorneys practicing for ten years we're looking for evidence. we're looking for things of substance to substantiate a link or tie or something. just as the fbi was, and when we sat there for four hours, being in that interview with the family members, no one could identify any links or any radical or extremist behavior, any attempt to be forceful or hostile or aggressive in any way to force people to adhere to certain religious beliefs. any odd or strange or angry behavior. nothing was there. so it's not so much i'm siding with someone one way or the other. but i'm just being objective. that's been my job all these years. i'm just reporting to you what i've seen during that investigation.
2:23 pm
there was no evidence of anything and what we're hearing now from the media. i'm just saying from an objective perspective has been very tenuous. that's my feeling. i don't feel like we ought to be over zealous in our characterization of the events until we have additional evidence. [ inaudible ] >> did they ever see any evidence of what's been described by police, bomb-making? large caches of ammunition? anything to suggest -- >> no, the family members knew that syed had two handguns and they knew that he kept them locked upped and they knew he was licensed for them. the family members would have get-togethers on occasion. they wouldn't be going through the rest of the house and inspecting the house. this was a brother that had no idea, something like this could happen. >> there was never anything like, there was never any evidence of any of these pipe
2:24 pm
bombs that were seen around. in addition, i would also just say -- i mean, you know, it has been horrible. and you know, as americans we all want to protect one another, make sure we're living in a safe and secure society. but statements made about for example the number of rounds that were there. as a gun owner myself, i myself probably have 4,000 or 5,000 rounds of bullets that i keep at home. the reason why you buy them in bulk is because they're cheaper that way. and the government keeps on outlawing different, different types of bullets and different types of guns at different times. and then there will be shortages of bullets that will occur very commonly where homeland security will order two million of a certain kind of bullet and you can't get that bullet. it's not available for many months. especially if you're target shooting, it's not uncommon to own 2,000, 3,000 rounds to have with you when you can get them at a cheap price, you stock up.
2:25 pm
one of the main things i want to make sure happens is that not only is anyone discriminated against as a result of this incident. but that we continue to protect our freedom of religion and also our second amendment right to bear arms. we can't have this announcement by the president every time there's an incident like this that we need to ban all guns. those rights are important to us as americans, we die for those rights. and they shouldn't be denied. >> did the family have anything to say about tashveen's education? >> she grew up in pakistan at about the age of 18 to 21 years of age, she moved to saudi arabia. she was educated. i've read reports that she was a pharmacist. there's nothing from the family other than education. she's not a pharmacist over here. >> she was -- >> she spoke english? >> she was a house wife. she took care of the child.
2:26 pm
the mother lived with them at the house. she was primarily a house wife. she had only come over here in 2014. [ inaudible ] >> from what the family had to say. >> she's only been a mother for about six months. the family just knew her as she was soft-spoken, very basic information what they've seen of her. >> she was like a typical housewife. >> she spoke english and she did speak urdu as well, but it was broken english. >> was she assimilating into the country, into the culture? >> for the year she was here, she was assimilating fine. >> she did maintain certain traditions from what i understand. in terms of fasting and prayer five times a day. she chose not to drive voluntarily. but these are, these are all benign, you know, these are things that you know, many muslims do. and it doesn't, it doesn't mean anything necessarily. >> we're just trying to get anything new about her, from a
2:27 pm
good source, the family. >> i think what we're see something like there's, she was a very, very private person. she kept herself pretty well isolated, she was pretty conservative. and i think one of the dangers is that since everyone does know so little is that she's easy to pin things to or stigmatize with. and she's been the one that the media has done a lot of that to, because there's no picture. and so it's or there's not a lot of information about her. so i think we need to card against that. but unfortunately i wish i could answer the question better. there's very there is very little information we have about her, other than the fact that she was a caring housewife. >> and one of the things i can tell you guys, i have discussed with the family about the housewife. they're very traditional in a sense the family would go over to the house, they wouldn't all be together in the room. the women would sit with the women and the men would sit with the men. that's a very traditional way of acting. it wasn't anything that was different.
2:28 pm
so the men did not interact with her and the brothers did not actually ever see her face. they did not see her face because she wore a burhka. she was totally covered. they just knew her as syed's wife. >> she did speak english? >> but her main language was urdu. >> planning to get whatever they were wearing. that sort of thing. was there, paint a picture -- the family, are they looking back now when they did xyz, now that we realize there was something wrong. >> the family, they thought syed's hobbies, was building cars. this was, he liked to go in his garage and he liked to work on things. they never used to invade his personal space. that was his man cave of sorts. he used to go into the garage and work on things. he used to build shoe racks for his sister instead of buying one. so the family was taken by shock
2:29 pm
this is something that hit them as hard as anyone else. >> did the family go in the garage? >> the family did go in there to see some of the things he was working on, the car. one brother explained he would not go in there, because when he did, it was like for play dates. >> they never noticed any of the guns? >> they were aware of the guns at the house, but they were aware that the guns were locked up in a case. >> when we talk about guns, we're talking about from what i like i understand i is there was two .9 millimeters and there was two rifles. from what we know that was for target shooting before then. but there was definitely never evidence of any of the other things. >> you characterize the level of syed's mechanical ability. he had this hobby. but i'm sort of -- >> it wasn't something that he had gone and got a formal education. it was something he had picked up by watching his father. reading books, he read books about cars, mechanics, it was mostly car books that he was
2:30 pm
reading. and he was learning as he went along. >> you said he had been made fun of. >> teased. >> by someone at work about his beard. is that something that was talked about a lot. [ inaudible ] did he say there was a guy at work that has been harassing me? >> i think it was a general conversation he had with the family when he explained that somebody just made fun of my beard. >> but that's part of the concern, i think is that we can't lead some intolerance to lead to further intolerance or in addition, there's times when these things happen in all sects of american culture. where someone is disgruntled or gets made fun of or is uncomfortable or is an anti-social person. and they lash out and do bizarre things like in columbine or wherever. and colorado recently. it's hard to attribute just to
2:31 pm
the religion of islam and muslim people. and all muslims like i said, are condemning this act. and we're all praying on behalf of the victims and we all feel terrible about what happened. >> workplace type of shooting. there's always some sort of sign leading up to it. you're saying the family did not see any sign whatsoever. >> the family just knew he was made fun of the beard there wasn't anything else. he had just told the family, someone made fun of my beard. his job, he had to keep his facial hair trimmed up a little more because of the type of job he had. in the county so that's why he had told the family about this situation. and mind you, he was a pretty private person. for him to share some information, that's why the family had conveyed to us, what actually happened. >> information out there about how the couple met. do you have any idea about their personal history? >> the couple met through an online dating website. it was a marriage website. had met, they had interests that
2:32 pm
you know, they matched up. >> was it a muslim website? >> we don't actually know. we were trying to find out more information about the website with the fbi as well. >> it was about 2013. >> how do you know about it? >> the family talked about this. as well as the fbi. >>. [ inaudible ] >> do you know when they met in person? >> they probably met in about 2013 and they ended up getting married closer to the 2014 time period. >> did they meet in person at any time before that? or would that have been the first time they met? >> he had went out there for a hajj and then they met and they got married sometime after that. >> he went settle for the hajj and came back for the second time. >> that is our understanding. >> did he meet with her personally when he went for the hajj? >> at that time i think he met with the family. that's what we understand with the family members. >> and there are reports that
2:33 pm
the wife could have been radicalized and somehow involved in san diego. i'm wondering if any of the family members saw anything to suggest that she perhaps was more dominant than a submissive woman might be. >> she was very soft-spoken. from the conversations we've had with the family, they conveyed she was very soft-spoken. family members were the only one to talk to her. say yed did not want anybody else talking to her because of their tradition. >> what do you know about her? >> nothing. >> the family lives in saudi arabia. that's all we know. >> do her family -- [ inaudible ] >> her family members in saudi? >> i mean the family here. >> they've gotten threats. it's been a consistent thing. they've gotten phone calls. they've gotten people threatening them through facebook. they've deactivated everything. the brother was misidentified.
2:34 pm
rahil was misidentified as syed. that's a bad thing to be misidentified as a shooter while he was in l.a. county. [ inaudible ] >> pakistani. >> they moved to saudi arabia? >> yeah. when she was 18 or 20, she, she went to riyadh, saudi arabia, to get married with syed. >> i think there's been some confusion about what they do with the grandchild. the mother lived with syed and his wife. so they were going off to a doctor's appointment. they left the child with her. since the mother lived there, she was taking care of her grandchild at that time. they actually had the stomach flu earlier. he had told them they were going to go to a doctor's appointment. he was going to take his wife to the doctor's appointment. >> if the mother lived with them, she never noticed anything
2:35 pm
going on in the garage or anything at all? >> i guess what i would say is this is just so, this is just the stereotypical situation of what takes place every time there is an event like this. most of the time no one knows that much about the shooter and the same thing was the case here. the mother stayed to herself. i think she stayed upstairs and so she would have been separate and not really known much about what was taking place in the rest of the house. and everyone is always surprised by these incidents. and the same thing is true here. everyone was in shock. there was a tendency to look for a network, a religious affiliation, an imam, an extremist group, friends. lists of you know people that wet went to the wedding. anything that could be there to find some type of a terrorist network. and the fbi was doing their job. we're all angry, we all want answers, we all want security,
2:36 pm
we all want to be protected. but nothing came up, and that is what is so shocking about all this. and i guess i just feel the need to emphasize that so much. because we have a tendency to characterize it in that way and unfortunately it was just, it was really bizarre to sit through the interviews for four hours and not, and not find or see anything. but that's what happened. there was nothing linking this to religion or terrorist-related activities. [ inaudible ] >> but they're the fbi and they're damn good at getting this information. they asked everything they could. they had the mother under pressure for, with seven hours or so. they, they basically took her into custody. and at one point they had the mother in custody. they said we're not letting your mother go. they said this to syra, the sister of syed. we're not going to let your mother go until you and your brother and your sister eba come in for questioning.
2:37 pm
and i get the feeling that that was a really traumatic experience. because her son had just died. and not to mention she was totally distraught over how that happened and the victims. she's been crying all of these past couple days. she hates what happened. she, she's very mournful over the victims. i guess what i'm saying is, they're not new to this game, one of the fbi investigators we sat down with clearly looked like he would be a plant in a mosque. he had a beard, he looked like he just walkedut of pakistan or saudi arabia. and these are very that rude, smart individuals. and if there was any information there, they would have gotten it or found it i mean the entire world is digging for information. and the most we've gotten so far is somebody looked at something on facebook. [ inaudible ] >> all we know, what we know is
2:38 pm
that the sister eba went back to pick up the mother and she, when she went back, the computers in the house were unplugged she had said. but i haven't, i haven't read all about the digital information there's a lot of -- >> there's more information we're going to be getting on monday, once we go back and discuss. the family has been more than cooperative with giving up any of their sources, to assist the fbi in the investigation. >> what does the family think happened? >> the family is in complete shock, they have no idea whatsoever. this is their brother by blood, but they weren't too close to them. they weren't as close as when they were 15, 16 years of age. the family is in complete shock. they're very sad for all the victims. they have two losses of their own as well.
2:39 pm
>>. [ inaudible ] >> that's an ongoing part of the investigation that we are still finishing up with the fbi. [ inaudible ] >> we're not going to be able to discuss that right now. [ inaudible ] >> the child is in child protective services from what we understand. and i guess we're not, we've been trying to get the baby back. but it looks like we're probably not going to be able to get the baby out until at least monday. there is a hearing set for the child. we've been in open communication with child protective services. to get this child released to one of the family members. and the fbi has been willing to release it to one of the family members. >> do you know which family member? >> it's most likely going to be the older sister. >> which one? >> his oldest sister. >> syra.
2:40 pm
>> so basically what you're saying is today is whatever motive there was for this is very, very -- [ inaudible ] >> it's been, it's been very hidden as you can see from the statement of the fbi chief. you know, that there is not any connection and i guess we're all wanting justice and we're all wanting to make sure we find out anybody who may be affiliated with it, so we'll be protected in the future. but at the same time i guess we best just been saying we all need to be protective and respectful of one another's religious freedoms and due process, freedoms of due process. and so that's what i would say about that. the motive -- there's, the motive is very unclear. it could be, it could be a disgruntled worker. at this point, the investigation is ongoing. >> it could be disgruntled
2:41 pm
employee. it could be information coming out about their connections to different types of groups, we're still waiting. until we make a determination and finish up with the fbi on monday and tuesday, that's when we're going to be able to see what this is hanging on. >> we'll be doing interviews on monday and tuesday with the fbi. >> we said she was not a pharmacist. [ inaudible ] >> there is no type of degree in saudi arabia that she has received. okay? so we will be -- we'll be finishing this up. if you guys have any more questions on monday, we'll finish up on monday, tuesday with, the fbi. thank you very much, guides. >> okay. and that's just concluded well let's say this. a most interesting press conference. i hope those attorneys weren't being paid. because that was the family attorneys for the farook family and what you saw there was really a big focus on perhaps
2:42 pm
this could have been domestic or workplace violence. a lot of focus on the two terrorists. and it is in fact a terror investigation. and the reports came out by the fbi that they're calling this an act of terror against those individuals. and this is in fact the single largest greatest terror attack on u.s. soil since 9/11. we heard a lot of different things during that conference. perhaps also suggesting that the fbi was confused. that they didn't really understand exactly what was going on here. that they had the grandmother essentially in custody for seven hours. asking her questions, we learned that the grandmother was in fact in the home, was watching the daughter. and living in that home. they said primarily upstairs. and now we also know from the reports that this was essentially an ied factory. that you had a large number of pipe bombs. bomb-making materials in that residence. as a former prosecutor, you
2:43 pm
certainly want to ask someone who was an eye witness, potentially to the acts going on in the home, a lot of questions about what she knew, what she observed and who was coming in and out of the home. we're going to take it around the table. we've got thoughts and reflections on this. greg? >> i was amazed, they could go on tour as a comedy troupe. when they said nobody noticed the pipe bombs. you mean people who make pipe bombs, they don't leave them out in the open. you walk in and somebody see as pipe bomb and they say it's just a clock for school. and they kept stressing there may not be ties to a greater terrorist organization that almost argues against their clients. because they're conflating terrorism with the muslim community. whenever they kept talking about these people, these terrorists, they kept saying oh, you don't want to attack the islamic community. nobody is. but by them constantly bringing that up, they are conflating the
2:44 pm
terrorists with the islamic community. that is the ultimate crime of islamo phobia. they were walking cartoons, they could work at the department of justice. >> some of the rhetoric coming out of there was mirroring what we've been hearing from the white house and the doj. but this is an ongoing investigation and they're going to try to establish and see if there's any links, dana to other terror groups, other cells, if there's other individuals we've heard already that the fbi feels there was people that were perhaps working with them or closely associated. we do know that the husband, mr. farook, had had ties with people who were on investigation lists, that they were following that and at one point the investigations were closed. all of that is very relevant. but you heard language about almost blaming the victims here, talking about the beard, talking about workplace violence. we're not sure that's with a it is. it's been designated that it wasn't that. these were the same co-workers, that they murdered in cold blood that they accepted a baby shower
2:45 pm
from months earlier. >> i can understand that the family has an attorney and they want to be in the news story and provide some sort of information. typically what you would do is you would have a written statement that you go out and you read on camera you maybe take one or two questions and get off the stage. as i said they're going to have additional follow-up questions from the fbi as they should. they almost seemed surprised and offended that they were being subjected to any sort of questioning. they gave every once in a while he would sort of remember to say oh right and we feel mournful for the victims. to me i think it was a pretty sad showing. actually very interesting in another way. which is to look into the mindset of the community and how they are approaching this. and this is one of the problems, that if you don't define radical islam for what it is, then you get this kind of mush. >> and there's no, there's no act or incident, they tried to talk about the beard over and over again. >> who pushed the video. more like just the total distracting. >> blaming benghazi on a video.
2:46 pm
now allows you to blame a massacre on making fun of a beard. >> yeah. and eric you know -- >> which hasn't even been proven. >> with this whole narrative seeming to just say there was another report that they did earlier. they talked about that the female, weighed 90 pounds and wouldn't be able to hold up a gun to shoot anybody. so complete dissociation with the facts. >> okay. so we're feverishly taking notes here. my head is sploeting. there's so many things from that press conference that we could talk about. let me try to nail a few that stood out. two despicable lawyers, pure propaganda. no information, just all propaganda. they weren't defending anybody. all they were trying to do is push the narrative. blame the beard. they blame law enforcement and the fbi for islam phobia and racism and when the fbi went out of their way to make sure they didn't call it terror in advance until they were sure they had the loophole closed. and then they did.
2:47 pm
basically blaming the victims as kimberly pointed out. blaming the beard. the home had pipe bombs. the home was booby-trapped. they can't say that these people -- this is just a spontaneous reaction? there's nothing, there's no evidence, the evidence proves everything contrary to what they were saying. this is the most important thing in my mind. is that this is not good for the moderate muslim community. for the moderate muslim community to come out and hear these two lawyers blame everything but the two people who perpetrated the crime that killed 14 people and who killed or hurt how many countless others, it's terrible. we've been asking the moderate muslim community to step up and call that bs out for what it is. murder and terror and things like this, puts a bad, bad feeling, a bad taste in everyone's mouth about whether or not the moderate muslim community is willing to step up and talk. >> you want the lawyers, are they lawyers for the family? that's my impression.
2:48 pm
you want the lawyers for the family now to blame the family for what took place? i think their job as they come out there is to stay slow down, everybody. stop leaping to assumptions. if you're their lawyer, eric, you want somebody who will come out and say -- >> they didn't do did? >> juan nobody jumped to conclusions. when it happened, everyone was blaming it on guns, they weren't blaming it on radical muslims. the facts are out, we can blame radical sclomuslims. >> we're still searching for facts. was there a cell? we don't know. was there some training? we don't know. eric has asked a very important question -- where's the money come from to fund this kind of activity? we don't know. i think a lot of -- >> we know they didn't have funds sufficient to buy all of this. that's a fact. >> that's what i'm saying. but you don't want to get yourself into a conundrum of
2:49 pm
sorts by saying they're muslim and this woman, just came from pakistan, and saudi arabia. and everybody is leaping to make conclusions. >> that's not leaping. >> it was leaping, it's a methodical look at research. >> here's the thing that strikes me, i think the real danger is what they're calling self-radicalization. i'm told that she somehow pledges -- >> she pledge aid legion is to isis and al-baghdadi. >> i'm jumping into -- >> an obvious hotbed of lies and despicable propaganda. >> this is what i'm concerned about -- you are wrong. you know because you don't understand the job of a lawyer, this is america -- in america -- >> if i was representing you, i would introduce some element of doubt. but let me just say --
2:50 pm
>> juan, do you understand the terrorists are dead, so these criminal defense attorneys are not going to defend them in court. >> did you hear them say that -- >> did you hear them say the reason why there may have been a reason why this happened? >> what did they do after britney spears? where did that come from? that's like they were talking about bullying, about beards. making fun of beards and the guy says i hate britney spears' music. he's actually advocating terror against britney spears. >> here's my big concern on a serious note because i'm a britney spears fan. we have 71 people charged in the united states with isis activity since march of '14. we have, they say there are 300 americans in the u.s. who are isis sympathizers and have been active online recruiters. okay. so if this is the leading edge of something where you have self-radicalization, buddy, we're in trouble. that's what i'm worried about. and that's what i think the lawyers are talking abt.
2:51 pm
>> i'm watching a different press conference. juan, you do understand this has been designated an act of terror. you do understand that she pledged allegiance to isis and al-baghdadi. >> yes. >> now the only thing that remains is to determine the nexus and to see what the tentacles of the terror network are, and to see if there are other people aiding and abetting, acting in concert to help them facilitate this crime or help them plan another one. >> to see if there was a secondary target or another incident. we get that, right? >> i want to ask adam housley about this. the idea that that there was a second plot that they were going to do some additional terrorist act. we didn't get a chance. your point is well taken, kimberly. they're looking for further evidence to see exactly what -- >> they haven't found the smoking gun yet? there are smoking guns all over
2:52 pm
the scene. >> and ieds and. >> babies and grandmothers. they say she was just your average quiet conservative house wife with pipe bombs and jihad. >> you're being skeptical, islamo phobia. >> we're being judgmental. jeb bush: here's the truth you will not hear
2:53 pm
tv-commercial
2:54 pm
from our president: we are at war with radical islamic terrorism.
2:55 pm
it is the struggle that will determine the fate of the free world. the united states should not delay in leading a global coalition to take out isis with overwhelming force. their aim is our total destruction. we can't withdraw from this threat or negotiate with it. we have but one choice: to defeat it. vo: right to rise usa is responsible for the content of this message. toto the nation's capitalut to support an important cause that can change the way you live for years to come. how can you help? by giving a little more, to yourself. i am running for my future. people sometimes forget to help themselves. the cause is retirement, and today thousands of people came to race for retirement and pledge to save an additional one percent of their income. if we all do that we can all win. bring your challenges® swebl. we take it around the table for
2:56 pm
some final thoughts, reflections, because we just witnessed the press conference by the farook family's attorney. mr. chesley and another individual. dana? >> i think there's two main things to look at this weekend. and as first and foremost, i think that we all owe the victims some reflection, right? and to look at their stories and to mark their lives and to really think about them and pray for their families. the second thing i would watch is the developing possible tension in washington and hopefully this does not turn into a partisan issue and we have as a nation, we need to come together to deal with the realization that they are here, and we have to have intel and our police everything they need to try to prevent and disrupt these attacks before they happen. >> i hope in the next few days, the department of justice, the fbi, ties up the loose ends and just presents the evidence. so that idiot lawyers like that can't waste any more of our time making conspiracy theories on why they possibly perpetrated this or it's our fault or it's
2:57 pm
the infidels' fault. get rid of that. and secondly, i hope the moderate muslim community. i don't think it's care, hovwhor it is, comes forward and says we don't stand by what those two people just said. that's not what we represent. what we represent is a peaceful islam. and blaming the victims and blaming america and blaming the infidels and blaming everyone but themselves, but for the two that killed these 14 people is not what they represent. fix this. fix this, moderate muslims. >> what i felt this whole week is i don't want to feed the fear and i think there's a lot of fear right now, a lot of anxiety and a lot of partisanship as dana was talking about. saying do we label this terrorism or workplace violence. if you label it that way then you're on the gun control argument and that's not what this is about. this is about the jihadist terrorist network and fighting it. and i'm thinking, we've got dead
2:58 pm
people. we've got dead americans, our brothers and sisters and we're all in a moment where we have to be clear in our thinking. rather that i think resort to finger-pointing, blame-gaming and playing politics. stop it. >> this was an act of terror against the united states of america and the second largest act of terror against this country and innocent americans since september 11th. now is the time to do something. mr. president. where are you? we did not hear from you on this today. you should be out front and center talking about this. and reassuring this country that we are doing everything we can to combat radical islamic terrorism in this country. it's time to be courageous and show leadership. greg? >> i think we need to develop a terror aa. where people can go and admit that we have a terror problem. without being called islamophobic or intolerant. moderate muslims could go and
2:59 pm
say my name is whatever and i am scared to death of pointing out this evil. and i think that would be one step. the one thing this has happened before. remember liberals forfeited the fight with communism and that fight fell among the anti-communist right as the left become anti--anti-communist. you're seeing this right now. because of president obama and hillary clinton abdicating the right to the war on terror, that's falling into the hands of conservatives. this is going to cost them an election because they are cowards, they've created a leadership gap and the only people that are going to fill it in are people on the conservative side because they refuse to unify with the right when they should. they should admit this is a big deal. >> you're absolutely right. maybe now is the time to say yeah, ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country and family. if you see something, say something, arm yourselves in the meantime. "special report" is next.
3:00 pm
>> arm yourself. san bernardino, california is now the site of the single deadliest terror attack on u.s. soil since 9/11, 2001. we have breaking details from the fbi's newly designated terrorism investigation. this is "special report." good evening, welcome to washington, i'm brett baier, the fbi is admitting what president obama has gone to considerable effort not to. that evidence in the killing of 14 people at a san bernardino, california christmas lunch wednesday, points to terrorism. we now know from authorities, that the woman involved in the shooti

87 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on