Skip to main content

tv   The O Reilly Factor  FOX News  January 4, 2016 8:00pm-9:01pm PST

8:00 pm
republican candidate front runner donald trump will be joining us again, tomorrow at 10:00. thanks for being with us. see you back here tomorrow night and happy new year. xt the o'rei. good night. ♪ ♪ the o'reilly factor is on. tonight: >> calling for a temporary shutdown of muslims entering the united states until we can figure out what's going on. >> donald trump finally spending some money on his presidential campaign. so far we in the media have given him free air time. and that will continue tonight as mr. trump will be here. also marco rubio versus ted cruz. that rivalry heating up. we'll talk about senator rubio. >> if i was a character in "star wars," who would i be? >> godzilla. >> thank you. have handsome guy. >> and there is more. jesse watters harnessing the force to deal with "star wars." >> how does he do the light saber? [ laughter ]
8:01 pm
>> caution, you are about to enter the no spin zone. the factor begins right now. ♪ ♪ hi, i'm bill o'reilly. happy new year. thanks for watching us tonight. first show 2016. the biggest political story in america. that is the subject of this evening's talking points memo. both politic) parties are helping donald trump dominate the polls. the combined democrat and republican establishment just may propel a tough-talking political novice into the white house. obviously a huge situation. on the g.o.p. side, our pal george will epitomizes what's going on. in a column just before christmas, will uses harsh, personal attacks against trump and then concludes if he wins the nomination the republican party will be destroyed. will fashions himself a republican intellectual dishing out conservative theory using as many big
8:02 pm
words as possible. but when it comes to solving problems that drive right leaning americans nuts, will offers little. columns in the past three years and found no proposed solutions to the immigration mess or to the isis terror threat. in that, george will is not alone. republican establishment in washington has not dealt effectively with these and other vexing problems causing great anger among some g.o.p. voters. thus, trump's hard line rhetoric on illegal immigration and jihad has taken root. on the democratic side, things are even worse. since president obama took office in 2008, the party has moved sharply left. in fact, it is almost impossible to be moderate democrat anymore with your party supporting anarchy by supporting sanctuary cities and failing to confront isis in a ways that would crush the savages. why president obama and the establishment seek to contain the jihadiist mass murderers, intelligent
8:03 pm
people understand evil cannot be contain dollars. it must be destroyed. while democrats embrace a phony war on women in the u.s.a., thousands of innocent women abroad are being raped and tortured by isis fanatics. for which there is no unacceptable atrocity. therefore, a guy like trump gains support from voters fed up with the obvious failings of both political parties. really doesn't matter if his rhetoric is farfetched. some folks simply wanted confrontational talk. details are are secondary. watchful americans know the economy is shaky. the jihadi is on the march. illegal immigration continues without restraint. the country is in big trouble. the establishment is hasc failed and here comes donald trump. that's the memo. now for the top story tonight. let's bring in the aforementioned mr. trump who joins us from his headquarters here in new york city. so, for you, what's the mostpí important story in 2016? >> well, i think you have many important stories. the election, obviously, is going to be very, very
8:04 pm
important. but we're going to have to see. because it will take a different term depending on who gets. in hopefully i will get in and we will straighten a lot of things out. economy very important. but i thiyz security, above all right now. you know, when i first started on june 16th. it's amazing six months ago, the big thing was trade and what's happening and how we're being ripped off by china and by mexico and by virtually everybody that deals with us. and now the big thing and even in my speeches and even when i you speak what people want to hear about is safety and security. they want to hear about the border. they want to hear about building the wall and keeping the drugs out and keeping the bad ones out because we have some bad dudes coming into this country, bill. that, i can tell you. they want to hear about isis and they want to hear, about you know, how we are going to get rid of isis and how we are going to destroy isis. >> i agree that terrorism and public safety is overridden the economy for now. the stock market collapsed today in china. leading to a big pull back in the dow in new york.
8:05 pm
now, you just put out an ad that features the southern border,and you are saying that you are going to put up a wall and stop thhlqo madness. you are criticized because some of the video in the ad, which looks like it's from mexico is from morocco. so the press is all over you on that. how do you react? >> >> all it is a display of what it is going to look like and what our country looks like. that was just video footage. it's a display of what our country is going to look like. we're like a third world country. we are a dumping ground. so you can just take it anyway you want. but it's really merely a display of what a dumping ground is going to look like. and that's what our country is becoming very rapidly. >> you don't think the video is a little misleading with the talk of the border fence for mexico? >> no. i think it's irrelevant. >> you don't think it's misleading. >> no. i think it's irrelevant.
8:06 pm
all we want to doca is going to look like. they picked something. they could have picked something else. we could have picked plenty of footage that i can tell you, bill. >> you should have probably put the mexican footage in there because you have got to be careful with thed me is after you and i'm going to get to that in a moment. saudi having problems now. the saudi arabiaians executed a shiite cleric. they don't like vice versa. you made comments the other day you said that's not really a country iran. did you say that? iran is not really a country? >>. no i said iraq is not much of a country because you have so many different factions and but i was only talking about iraq. i will say this about iran. they are looking to go into saudi arabia. they want the money and the oil and other things having to do. they took over yemen. look at that border between yemen and saudi arabia. that is one big border. they are looking to do a number in yemen and i think they want it to go.
8:07 pm
that's phase one topçjw go into saudi arabia and, frankly, the saudis don't survive without us. and the question is at what point do we get involved and how much will saudi arabia pay us to save them because that's ultimately what's going to happen. we made a power out-of-iran. >> so if they. >> we made a power out of iran with the deal. >> i got it if saudi arabia would pick up some of the tab, you would use american troops to help saudi arabia to fight off the iranian incursion? is that what i'm hearing? >> right now if you look at right now, we pay -- you know, we already defend saudi arabia right now we are defending them. every time there is a problem we go in and defend. frankly, as far as i'm concerned, that's all fine. we have to now -- we owe $19 trillion, bill. we're defending everybody. we're defending the[s world. >> member sannary state if
8:08 pm
we accept money to defend countries. >> call it whatever you want. if you want to use that term, you can you can also say we are smart. we can't continue to defend everybody and lose on every single thing we do. we have to rebuild our country. our country is a mess. our infrastructure we owe $19 trillion. >> if you are elected president, are you going to take military action against iran? are you going to do something to that country? >> with, i would want to help saudi arabia. i would want to protect saudi arabia. but saudi arabia is going to have to help us economically. they were making, before the oil wept down, thousand they are making half. but they were making a billion dollars a day. >> you are dodging my question. would you take action against iran militarily ift.!éç you are president? >> depending on what the deal is, i would have to do that. i would defend certain groups of people over there the deal we made with iran is a disaster. the deal we made for $150 billion is a total disaster. >> so you would revoke that deal.
8:09 pm
>> you know iran is going to have a nuclear weapon very soon. and they have already violated their deal. the deal is -- the ink isn't is even dry, and they have already violated the deal and a lot of people are calling for sanctions. >> look, come on, the election is this year. if you are elected president and you don't like the deal, you are going to scrap the deal, are you going to bomb their nuclear facilities? are you going to do that? >> bill, i'm going to do what's right. i want to be unpredictable. i'm not going to tell you what i'm going to do. the problem is we have a president that says we are going to get out of iraq on such and such a date. everybody pulls back. and then as soon as we leave they go in. we have to show some unpredictable -- i want to be unpredictable. i don't want to tell you exactly what i'm going to do. >> don't the voters have a right to know how far you are going to go? >> no. because it depends on the circumstances. unpredictability. they are tired of a president that gets up and says every single thing. we are sending 50 great young people over to iraq
8:10 pm
and over to syria. he gets up and he announces we are sending 50. those people right now have a target on their back. the president shouldn't have said that that we are sending 50 people. what i'm saying is this: we have to be somewhat unpredictable. but, i want to protect but i also want to be reimbursed for the protection we are dealing with tremendously wealthy countries. we are never reimbursed. >> voters would want to know how militaristic you are going to get. >> i disagree with that i think they want to see a certain amount of unpredictability. >> did you give an interview to esquire magazine? did you do that? >> i gave a short interview. i haven't heard about it. >> they are killing you. why did you do that? they're killing you. they got on the cover hater in chief with a bad picture 'of you. why would you talk to esquire magazine? you know they are going to hammer you. >> i do, if you think about a hater and chief. i do hate what's happening to america. >> that's not what they get. they are calling you a bigot and everything else.
8:11 pm
you know that? >> well they can call me thatok, it's the mainstream media stuff. they have go that way. i do hate what's happening to america so in that way maybe it's a very accurate depiction. i do hate to see. >> a good spin on it i was surprised you talk to these guys. they're not looking out for you,! donald, they are just not. >> well, i mean i understand. we get a very unfair press. >> so why do you give them the opportunity to do that you? are like giving them the hammer. i don't know. >> because i'm always giving people a chance to be fair, bill. always. >> and that's nobel. we will talk again soon and we always appreciate you coming on. >> thank you very much. >> next on the rundown, charles krauthammer on whether both political parties are damaged beyond repair in america. and later marco rubio fighting without ted cruz. the senator will be here. brit hume on president obama's gun orders. jesse watters
8:12 pm
♪ can't afford to let heartburn get in the way? try nexium 24hr, now the #1 selling brand for frequent heartburn. get complete protection with the new leader in frequent heartburn. that's nexium level protection. ♪ don't just eat. mangia! bertolli.
8:13 pm
8:14 pm
say they'll save youfor every by switching,surance companies you'd have like a ton of dollars. but how are they saving you those dollars? a lot of companies might answer "um..." or "no comment". then there's esurance - born online, raised by technology and majors in efficiency. so whatever they save, you save: hassle, time, paper work, hair tearing out and, yes, especially dollars. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. backed by allstate. click or call.
8:15 pm
continuing now with our lead story are both political parties beyond repair? leading to the rise of new politicians like donald trump? joining us from washington charles krauthammer. so, are they beyond repair? >> no, not at all. we have just had a very bad seven years. we could argue we have had a bad 10 or 15 years since 9/11. but this a feckless presidency. and i think it's not so much anger that's behind the trump phenomenon. it's a sense of drift and decline. the anger actually is on the democratic side with the bernie sanders phenomenon quite remarkable. if you look at his numbers essentially equivalent to trump's on the other side about a third of the electorate. his anger is that we are beinggy swindled that the system is rigged and the rich are robbing you that's raw anger. socialists are generally angry. with trump it's different.
8:16 pm
what he is reacting to is that the country has become weak. the country has lost any respect for itself around the world. that it's adrift. look, we are in the middle of an epidemic of terrorism around the world. we have got the rise of isis. we now have iran, saudi arabia. gulf states. really high tension. what is our presidential president doing. he is at paris for a climate conference. when he returns. >> more than that that is behind trump's rise. the country is changing. america is changing. or it's changing demographically. it's changing culturally. the whole thing, the baby boom generation, a world war ii greatest generation grew up with is almost unrecognizable. in the process finance perceived by many voters,
8:17 pm
mostly republicans that as you pointed out, we are weak. we are weak. we can't get anything done. kate's law. the easiest law in the world, all right. you have got to put people aggravated felons five years deported five times can't get done. this makes people furious that we don't have a congress that can do anything. and they look for a guy like trump who is going to blow the whole thing up. that's really what it's about. >>/vo well, look, his appeal is strength. it's not revenge against the rich or whatever. his appeal, i'm strong, i'mpe successful, i'm smart, i'm pretty. i'm determined. i will get it done. i'm going to do isis how i can't say because that's a secret. i'm going to contain or do damage to iran. you just asked him are you going to attack? i can't tell you because i don't want to give it away.
8:18 pm
the reason he can't tell you is because he has no idea how he is going to do it. >> how do you know that you? can't read his mind. >> come on, if you have an idea you would actually say the idea that he is hiding his tactics tactics tactics tac. i don't know we will figure it out. how are you going to deport 10 million illegal aliens? his answer management. how are you going to bring the jobs back? i'm going to send a carl i con over to china and he will bring the jobs back. he has no answers except trust in me i'm strong, i'm successful. i don't think that it's america is changing. what he understands is america has declined in the world and decline is a choice. obama chosen it. when he spoke in 2008 he
8:19 pm
said i'm a stifnt world. he acts like one but not like one of the president of the united states. what they want is strong. >> is the republican party is also weak. this immigration thing as i said in the talking points memo continues unabated. if you want to sneak in here, can you sneak in here. if you want top overstay your visa. you can overstay your visa. the republican party has done nothing about it. hasn't really made it a central issue because they fear that hispanics might not vote for them. you7ç don't -- you know, all of this makes people absolutely angry and they will overlook tr:pie6ñ lack of specificity. last word. >> well, they are overlooking his lack of specificity. and that's my point. his appeal is you trust in me, i will get it done. and that is very appealing in a universe where america is weak. but,@s9' look, for all that's happening abroad, the collapse of opposition around the world, the fact that even the russians have now listed us as a threat1wk to their national security after seven years of appeasement from obama,
8:20 pm
which shows that weakness produces a contempt and hostility. they look around. that's not in the control of congress. that's not in the control of the republicans. that's almost entirely the doing of this president. and this is a reaction to the obama failure. >> all right. charles krauthammer, everybody. happy new year. directly ahead had, senator marco rubio will join us. he and ted cruz are having a back and forth. later, watters confronts the force. >> see what you got. all right. you want to hit me with it? okay. [ laughter ] >> factor i3$(j coming right back. getting older shouldn't mean giving up all the things she loves to do. it should just mean, well, finding new ways to do them. right at home's professional team thoughtfully selects caregivers to provide help with personal care, housekeeping, and of course, meal preparation. oh, that smells so good. aw, and it tastes good, too.
8:21 pm
we can provide the right care, right at home. glad i could help you plan for your retirement. alright, kelly and promise me that you'll try that taco place on south street. and we have portfolio planning tools to help you manage your ira. yeah, you're old 401k give me your phone. the rollover consultants give you step-by-step help. no set-up fees. use your potion. sorry, not you. my pleasure. goodnight, tim. for all the confidence you need. who's tim? td ameritrade. you got this. ... 83% try to eat healthy. yet up 90% fall short in getting key nutrients from food alone. let's do more. add one a day women's gummies. complete with key nutrients we may need... ...plus it supports bone health with calcium and vitamin d. one a day vitacraves gummies. trust number one doctor recommended dulcolax constipated? use dulcolax tablets for gentle overnight relief suppositories for relief in minutes
8:22 pm
and stool softeners for comfortable relief of hard stools. dulcolax, designed for dependable relief does a freshly printed fill you with optimism? then you might be gearcentric. right now, it's like paying just $9.99 after rewards for this case of paper! office depot officemax. gear up for great.
8:23 pm
sup jj? working hard? here at the td ameritrade trader group, they work all the time. working 24/7 on mobile trader, rated #1 trading app in the app store. it lets you trade stocks, options, futures... even advanced orders. and it offers more charts than a lot of the other competitors do in desktop. you work so late. i guess you don't see your family very much? i see them all the time. did you finish your derivative pricing model, honey? for all the confidence you need. td ameritrade. you got this. personal story segment tonight it's getting very personal between senators marco rubio and ted cruz who
8:24 pm
are competing for the republican presidential nomination. >> i know i have a debate but i have got to get this fantasy football thing right. okay? >> words and political stunts cannot ensure our security. isis cannot be filibustered. while some claim that they would destroy isis that he this would make the sands of the middle east glow in the dark, my question is, with what? >> senator rubio referring to senator cruz saying he would annihilate isis using high tech weaponry. joining us from iowa is mr. rubio. first of all is it personal between you and cruz? >> no, of course not. when it comes to the issue i highlighted today, the fund mental problem is that if you are in favor of a budget as ted cruz has voted for that undermines defense spending. if you are in favor of a bill that undermines our intelligence-gathering capabilities, you can't destroy isis. you don't know where they are because you won't have the intelligence and you won't have the weapons to destroy them with. so there is a difference of opinion in our party about how much money we should be
8:25 pm
spending on the military and for us to debate on. >> sure. that's a policy difference. in cruz's spot against you, with the fantasy football thing, that wasn't policy. that was a shot at you as being a light weight. come on, you know that. isn't that personal? >> i haven't seen it. and so -- ultimately, you know, people are going to do whatever they want to do in this campaign. i'm pretty confident over the last five years. >> did you know him as a senator from texas? >> sure, i have met him before. i didn't know him well but i knew him before. >> and -- >> -- i like ted cruz as pattern. this is nothing personal. you have to ask him. i don't think it is on his part either. but bottom line is i'm going to focus on policy. this country is living at a key moment in its history. we have seven years of a president who has tried to fundamentally change america. we can't afford to get this election wrong. we deserve campaigns that are serious about what is happening. >> as i said at the top of the broadcast, people are furious in the republican party but they are furious at the republicans because they let barack obama bring the country so far down the road of weakness. but, i was surprised,
8:26 pm
outside of lindsey graham, you have been the most hawkish against isis. i mean, you are in line with my thinking that you can't contain evil, you have to destroy it but the way to do it is to take the burden and distribute it among the nato nations using article 5. that's the way to do it. and you protect refugees at the same time, you bring -- you muster enough force to really wipe them off the face of the earth. but you and no other candidate has brought that forth and i'm surprised. >> well, i have, first of all. you also have to have the cooperation of sunnies. you need the sunnies to reject the ideological. >> that comes after. just as petraeus proved in iraq, all right. it comes after the commitment of the west. then you will get that. >> right. so you need -- and in fact that's absolutely true. you need to show a true commitment on the part of the united states to vet special operators and increase air strikes and also have to have sunni ground forces as part of the solution.
8:27 pm
you are right saying it won't happen unless we're committed. but going back to the point you raised at the beginning of the interview you can't do that if you don't have the resources. we are on the verge of having the oldest and the smallest air force in american history. how anyone running as a republican can be supportive of these defense can you tell us, the party of reagan, the party of strong national defense is beyond me. my number one priority as president will be to rebuild the military. >> and i would support that if you do it in a smart way. okay. but americans don't want the united states taking it alone. why not bring in nato? why not lead that way? i just don't get any of you guys not putting that forth. i don't get it. >> well, i don't think i have never said that he we shouldn't. it's should most definitely be the part of any effort. it won't happen without us going first. only america -- america is nato. >> yeah. so we could get it done if -- >> -- the american military. >> but that's the solution to it. >> we need to put together -- it's not just nato countries by the way. i think jordan and saudi arabia and egypt needs to also contribute to this effort especially on the ground.
8:28 pm
>> all the sunni countries will follow. >> nato will not take action without american leadership. >> nobody has put forth article a. the french president did hollande. but everybody ignored him. listen -- >> -- well, actually, bill i you did. >> not telling you guys thousand run your campaigns. >> no, bill, but i actually did. and right after paris, i said that i would support the invocation of article 5, france invoked it, that i would support it i absolutely said that in the days right after the paris attack. in fact, the days after the paris attack i said this was act of war and nato member and if they invoked article 5 we need to do respond in kind. >> i appreciate it. i'm glad you and cruz aren't mad at each other. [ laughter ] >> and you are welcome any time. happy new year to you. plenty more ahead as the factor moves along this evening, president obama trying to limit gun sales. brit hume will tell us whether that will be successful. and watters investigating the "star wars" phenomenon. should be interesting. we hope you stay tuned to those reports. ♪
8:29 pm
♪virgin islands nice ♪ ♪so nice ♪so nice, so nice ♪ spend a few days in the u.s. virgin islands and return with a lifetime of experiences. that's virgin islands nice. ♪so nice, so nice
8:30 pm
8:31 pm
8:32 pm
campaign 2016 segment tonight. there should be new polling in the hotly contested presidential race. right now cruz, rubio, bush and christie all seem to have a chance. ben carson would need to turn things around fast. with us now here in new york city juan williams and mary katharine ham reunited with juan and it feels so good. who sang that song, mary
8:33 pm
katharine reunited who sang it. >> it's really before my time. >> classic rock radio before your time? >> i'm just messing with you. >> peaches and herb. >> i'm just calling you old. >> bring speeches and herb in -- peaches and herb in to answer these questions. you heard rish, you rubio, you heard trump. trump a journalist, rubio much more specific. i'm not sure if he gets the americans are fed up with going it aloney=v6 thing, mary katharine. what say you? >> well, i think rubio has a lot of things that are appealing in a conventional political year, right? he has natural political ability. he is knowledgeable. he is being specific is. he is a likeable guy on the trail. this is not a conventional year. i think what you are seeing is that trump leads all these polls and then rubio is plugging along and he8y>0k having good performances and debates but not quite getting that springboard effect. >> do you know why he is not
8:34 pm
getting the springboard? do you know why? >> i think because what you are talking about where it's not -- it is not feeling like he is tapping into the same thing as the trump is or a cruz is. >> nobody knows who he is. if you walk out and ask who marco rubio is and voters don't know him yet. he knows that. p &c @&c@ >> trump just overwhelms. >> right. >> but they don't know who marco rubio is. i think is he doing pretty damn well for his name recognition. >> and his favorables are high, too. >> we have to get to your cohort. i know you forgot about him but here he is. i put forth that both parties are just so ineffective and that's why this mess has occurred. >> i you think especially on the republican side. i think right now what you are seeing is that the republican base is divorced the republican establishment. lost contact with them. when you look at the establishment candidates and i'm not only talking about bush but i'm talking about the governors, republican voters are overwhelmingly with the rebel force so to speak. >> they are. they have rejected the establishment. >> completely. >> it's not just the republicans. look at sanders. this guy is a nut.
8:35 pm
he is a socialist nut. >> well, i don't know. >> and he has 35% of the democratic party. come on. >> i'm telling you, people are angry at establishment politics in the country but you don't see democrats reject their establishment candidate hillary clinton. >> 30% of them do. >> 35% of them. >> mary katharine, a fair point. overwhelmingly, it's unbelievable. >> i think. >> behind hillary clinton the democratic ranks. >> i think the berne meister might win in iowa and ambassador hillary clinton. she is ultimately going to get it when you want to tax people 90% there comes a point where you go come on. but, on the republican side as juan pointed out, you know, this establishment has failed. it has failed. >> yeah, i think on both sides you have anger at political elites. you have a lack of faith in what these old institutions are capable of. there is a reason for that and much of it comes from the obama administration and many of the failings of obamacare and these big high profile sort of inability to
8:36 pm
deliver on promises. and so i you think that matters on both sides. >> puts it all on obama. >> i don't think it's all on obama. >> i think it's spread around. >> the indicate's -- kate's law thing really opened my eyes. it really did. from a pass from the republican leadership in the senate i'm not getting a big -- for it it you know? if you can't do this. >> what? >> let me point out the upside for rubio. >> i don't have time. i only have 10 seconds. g.p.s. good to see you guys back together. >> his favorables are high. >> question about members necessary narrows. >> president obama using power gun sales. watters on "star wars" moments away.
8:37 pm
♪ (cell phone rings) where are you? well the squirrels are back in the attic. mom? your dad won't call an exterminator... can i call you back, mom? he says it's personal this time... if you're a mom, you call at the worst time. it's what you do. if you want to save fifteen percent or more on car insurance, you switch to geico. it's what you do. where are you? it's very loud there. are you taking a zumba class? hi hey you look good. thank you, i feel good. it all starts with eating right. that's something you taught me. that's why i eat amaz!n prunes now.
8:38 pm
they're delicious and help keep my body in balance. even this one loves them. you eat prunes? mhmm. it's true, feeling good starts with eating right. i love these. sunsweet amaz!n prunes, the feel good fruit. i use what's already inside me to reach my goals. so i liked when my doctor told me i may reach my blood sugar and a1c goals by activating what's within me. with once-weekly trulicity. trulicity is not insulin. it helps activate my body to do what it's supposed to do release its own insulin. trulicity responds when my blood sugar rises. i take it once a week, and it works 24/7. it comes in an easy-to-use pen and i may even lose a little weight. trulicity is a once-weekly injectable prescription medicine to improve blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes. it should be used along with diet and exercise.
8:39 pm
trulicity is not recommended as the first medicine to treat diabetes and should not be used by people with severe stomach or intestinal problems, or people with type i diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. trulicity is not insulin and has not been studied with long-acting insulin. do not take trulicity if you or anyone in your family has had medullary thyroid cancer or multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2 or if you are allergic to trulicity or its ingredients. stop using trulicity and call your doctor right away if you have symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as itching, rash, or difficulty breathing; if you have signs of pancreatitis such as severe stomach pain that will not go away and may move to your back, with or without vomiting; or if you have symptoms of thyroid cancer, which may include a lump or swelling in your neck, hoarseness, trouble swallowing, or shortness of breath. medicines like trulicity may cause stomach problems, which could be severe. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and any medicines you take. taking trulicity with a sulfonylurea or insulin may increase your risk for low blood sugar. common side effects include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, decreased appetite, and indigestion. some side effects can lead to dehydration,
8:40 pm
which may cause kidney failure. with trulicity, i click to activate what's within me. if you want help improving your a1c and blood sugar numbers with a non-insulin option, ask your doctor about once-weekly trulicity. and click to activate your within. thanks for staying with us, i'm bill o'reilly in the hume zone segment tonight. it's widely expected president obama will issue some executive orders expanding background checks for gun buyers, also the president is going on tv this week to try to sell his gun vision to america. joining us now from boca rotan, florida, brit hume. number one the polls say most americans support
8:41 pm
background checks for gun buyers, does that give the president an add ran stage? >> -- an advantage? >> possibly, bi. these measures that we are hearing he is going to propose or put in effect on his own don't amount to very much. background checks are widely popular and widely in use. there is some few exceptions that he would like to get rid of but they just don't add up to very/p much and they certainly don't come anywhere near the kind of gun control that he would really like to do tried to do because congress wasn't having it. >> this is the most politicized issue in the country today. president obama made some statements as you pointed out. he didn't say anything specific. didn't say i want to do. this but we assume he wants people to buy guns at gun shows to be checked out by the fbi or whatever. we assume all of this kind of stuff. and i am not objecting to people having to prove
8:42 pm
themselves nonviolent i think that's the best word when buying a gun i think that's common sense. but the fact he remains that the water is polluted because the president is so antigun that he thinks these kind of things are going to stop mass killings and they are not. we saw that in san bernardino. the two terrorists bought their guns from a friend we saw that in oregon where the guns are illegally purchased. that's not going to stop it criminals are not going to go through background checks. they are going to buy the guns on the black market. this is all politics. >> arguably it is, bill. this has been a very dangerous issue for democrats. they have often been periods of time when you can find large majorities for broad gun control. that's not true right now by the way. gun control when you future simply does not get a majorityq sentiment. >> and the more the president pushes it, the more people buy guns. >> well,.
8:43 pm
>> that's the ultimate irony. >> this is a nation in deed, world awashed in guns. the only way you could stop violence by guns guns is con ifi state them all. the constitution forbids that the constitution has been found by the supreme court to confer the right on an individual to keep and bear arms. for the moment that ship has sailed. there is just not much a president can do particularly when what's always happened is even when public sentiment swings as it does from time to time behind in large gun control is that the intensity of those resisting it is strong enough that when it gets down to it is too dangerous to go against them. and that's always been this issue with the second amendment. the intensity is on the side of the second amendment advocates and gun enthusiasts and they tend to win every time. >> there is more to it than that i think this is the key as i said in the top of the broadcast.
8:44 pm
americans don't have any confidence that the government can protect them from crime or from terrorism. so what are they going to do? they're going to harm themselves to protect their families. that's what's happening in this country. if the president thinks is he going to go against that tide with his weak foreign policy and look at chicago, what happens there. harsh drug laws there. gun laws there. out of control. violence handgun violence and everything else. so, america knows what's happening. they know it's a political play. last word. >> well, i guess just as a reminder, i think you are right basically about that;á"ti. look back to the moment after new town. the president had just been reelected. newtown was fresh in the air. people were horrified by the atrocity that happened there you might have thought if it were possible to put into place new gun control of a serious nature that it would have happened then. well, it didn't. the president's measures never even got to a vote. now is he going to try to do something by himself. it doesn't amount to much, so what we have here is a story that got a fair amount
8:45 pm
of play over the news starved new year's weekend. it doesn't add up to very much. much ado about not much, bill. >> watters on deck. he is going to a galaxy far, far away to figure out ought this "star wars" stuff. up next. this is how banks used to see me. ever since i had a pretty bad accident three years ago. the medical bills - the credit card debt all piled up. i knew i had to get serious my credit. so i signed up for experian. they have real, live credit experts i can talk to. they helped educate me on how debt affected my fico score. so i could finally start managing my credit. now my credit and i - are both healing nicely. get serious about your credit. get experian. go to experian.com and start your credit tracker trial membership today. ugh! heartburn! no one burns on my watch! try alka-seltzer heartburn reliefchews. they work fast and don't taste chalky.
8:46 pm
mmm...amazing. i have heartburn. alka-seltzer heartburn reliefchews. enjoy the relief.
8:47 pm
8:48 pm
back of the book segment tonight "star wars," which will soon become the most successful motion picture of all time. so far it's grossed $1.5 billion worldwide after only 19 days on the marketplace. so we sent watters to investigate this very strange phenomenon. ♪ ♪
8:49 pm
>> as far as mania "star wars" mania sweeping the nation what did you think about the force awakens? >> it was by force the best one. >> i think about baseball. >> what's your favorite character in "star wars"? >> will sky walker. >> cobey one. >> these are not the droids you are looking for. >> what was your favorite theme? >> when the republic was like destroyed. >> are you a democrat? [ laughter ] >> the java the hut with princess leah. >> do you have a princess leah fantasy? >> only on halloween. >> what is your favorite character from "star wars"? >> chewbacca. >> what sounds does chewy make? >> best one of the day right here. >> i'm going to show you how
8:50 pm
to use the force. i like your i like your hair. what are you thinking right now? >> now let's see how well you handle it. [ bleep ]! >> do you want to hold my light saber? >> sure. thank you. and what am i supposed to do? >> how does that feel? it's shrinking. >> that's not good. >> the planets in our solar system, what are they orbitting around? >> earth. right? >> i don't know what you're talking about. >> they revolve around the sun. >> very, very good. do you know how many planets there are in our solar system? >> yeah. come on! >> how many? >> enough. >> 15. >> 7. >> close. eight. >> eight. and one dwarf.
8:51 pm
>> not allowed to say dwarf, that's offensive. it's little person. who was the first person to step foot on the moon? >> i know, but i don't know his name -- wait. >> was he russian? >> i must break you. >> wasn't it a dog or a monkey? [ dog barking ] . >> lance armstrong. >> neil armstrong. >> very good. >> can i pet your coat? >> yes. >> this is beautiful! what is that, velvet? >> do you think you're too obsessed with "star wars" and not paying attention to the rest to have news? >> no. >> do you know who the vice president is? >> no, i don't. >> i know he's with -- >> donald trump? i don't know. >> obama and some other guy. >> can i give you a hint? >> yeah.
8:52 pm
>> joe -- >> schmo. >> joe biden. >> time to press the reset butten. >> who's my boss? >> bill o'reilly. >> that's right. what does bill o'reilly do? >> work for you. >> do you want to do the sign? very good. i'm watters, and you're in my world. try it again. it's more in the wrist. >> can we just leave this party? >> remember, the force will be with you, always. >> here's watters. did you see the movie? >> not yet. i have a lot going on. i haven't seen it yet. >> i can tell. i saw it. >> did you like it? >> i'm not a big space guy, but a lot of explosions. but technically -- >> they say it stacks up really well against the rest of them. >> i've seen like three of them. >> the originals? >> yeah.
8:53 pm
harrison ford is in this one and he doesn't come ut well for harrison. >> don't spoil it! you mean you don't know what happened. >> princess laya doesn't look like princess laya. >> that's not nice. >> i don't know what she really looks like. they're heavily made up, these actors. >> you're digging a hole. >> you subbed for me over the holiday. any reaction? >> everybody loved it. they said bill, stay on vacation longer. >> if i have leprocy, you might have a shot. factor "tip of the day," they are forcing me to tweet. the tip, moments away.
8:54 pm
if you had a dollar for every dollar car insurance companies say they'll save you by switching, you'd have like a ton of dollars. but how are they saving you those dollars? a lot of companies might answer "um..." or "no comment". then there's esurance - born online, raised by technology and majors in efficiency. so whatever they save, you save: hassle, time, paper work, hair tearing out and, yes, especially dollars. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. backed by allstate. click or call.
8:55 pm
factor tip of the day. a tweeting o'reilly, in a
8:56 pm
moment. but first, this is a good time to thank all of you for a very successful 2015. for the 15th consecutive year, we beat everybody in total audience, all thanks to you, i know that. i was able to donate big money this season to many charities because all of the stuff you bought on billo'reilly.com. and we hope you guys are ex-joying our expanded menu. "killing reagan" was the best selling adult book in america by far, beating john gresham by more than 20,000 copies. all thanks to you. now the mail -- >> here's why, tom. if the early primaries were held in big states, many candidates
8:57 pm
couldn't compete. could not buy tv time or organize because of the vast expense. thus, only rich people could run. all hardworking politicians have a chance in iowa and new hampshire, because they're so small. they can get attention and momentum because the costs are far lower. >> just know the anger swings both ways, darold. that's why bernie sanders is attracting crowds. but there's no doubt america is changing, and not for the better. >> well, miller and i will try to come through for you at the microsoft theater, saturday, march 12th. we'll see everybody in fairfax, virginia may 7. big father's day blast at mohegan sun on saturday, june 18th.
8:58 pm
i can't do many shows this year because of all the election stuff. tickets for these three are going very fast. details on the website. >> way to go, joe. now, some day, you might be running in your state's presidential primary. keep it up. finally tonight, the factor tip of the day. as many of you know, i'm not a big fan of high tech. mostly because i can't work it. drives me nuts, these machines drive me crazy and they conspire against me. but also because i see so many people addicted to the devices, right? their lives totally evolve around the machines, not good. however, this year, i'm going to have to tweet more. going to have to because it's good way to message. in this age of anti-fox propaganda, i need to do it. so right now, we have 900,000
8:59 pm
followers, and today's tweet tells you about two interesting movies where you will learn something. so if you want to check out my tweets, the address @o'reillyfactor tip of the day. tweety bird, every time i think there's a cartoon bird deal. that is it for us tonight. check out the website, which is different from beill o'reilly. please spout out from anywhere in the world. word of the day, do not be onerous when writing to the factor. now, tomorrow, a big cosby thing. how would you defend him if you were his attorneys? is it possible to do that? we'll have a special report on it. again, thanks for watching us
9:00 pm
tonight. miss megyn is next. i'm bill o'reilly. please remember the spin stops here, because we are definitely looking out for you.

55 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on