Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX News  January 24, 2016 11:00pm-12:01am PST

11:00 pm
>> that was enlightening, joanne. we've got to go. great job, everybody. buzz". >> i am chris wallace, the blizzard of 2016 shuts down much of the country. all the storm dumps feet snow on the east coast. hitting millions in its path. we will have the latest. >> then countdown to the last g.o.p. debate before voting starts in iowa, we have new battleground polls and senator marco rubio is looking to take on the front rathers. >> i will beat hillary clinton she does not want to run against me. >> marco rubio is an exclusive for fox news. >> a new report reveals some of hillary clinton's e-mails were beyond top secret. we will ask two top leaders of congressional intelligence
11:01 pm
committees how serious is the security breach? our panel handicaps. escalating battle between donald trump and ted cruz. our power player of the week, cruz' hardball campaign manager. >> how confident you are that cruz will win? >> well win. >> all right new on fox news sunday. >> and hello again from fox news in washington. >> we have the historic snow storm that buried much of the eastern united states with record-breaking blizzard dropping 2' of snow in the nation's cap follow and baltimore saw the most snow ever. new york city and philadelphia, also under feet of snow, thousands of flights have been canceled and hundreds of throughs of homes are without power. as this part of the country begins to dick out we will bring if if the fox news current on the streets. >> forecasters were right, we got snow and more.
11:02 pm
what we do know is the foes is waking up to clearer conditions but in the mid atlantic, can attest, it is a long road to cleaning up. >> tens of millions experienced the blizzard of 2016. many februarys were caught off guard on roads while tens of thousands were without power for an extended period of time. all the storm did not underwoke us. >> as it of mood up the east everyone corridor, officials embraced people for harsh conditions with in public transportation in the district. pennsylvania, the national guard responded to stranded motorist on the pennsylvania turnpike, some for up to 16 hours. in new york, a travel ban began at 2:30 eastern, shutting down usually, and in new jersey, chris christie upping off the campaign trail days before iowa. >> this is my 17th snow emergency in six years so we know how to do this. all the ice and snow condition said 11,000 flights since
11:03 pm
thursday. airlines hope to be back in business this afternoon. >> it is not all bad. in the direct we saw sledding and bicycling and even she boarding and check out video of the giant male panda he did not hesitate to play and throw the white fluffy stuff. >> thank you, elizabeth, love that video. >> i want to thank our friends at colonial packing forgetting me here driving me across town if their snowplow at 5:00 this only, gentleman i could not make it without you. from winter cold to the heat of the presidential campaign we have the latest polls, with eight days until the with what cause, donald trump now has an 11-point lead over rival ted cruz and marco rubio is the only other candidates this double digits at 12 percent. two weeks ago donald trump trailed ted cruz by four points. look at this, among republicans who say they will attend the caucus this year, more than a
11:04 pm
third say they have never gone before it, donald trump has the big lead among the first timers but only 3-point advantage among the prior caucus goers. in new hampshire donald trump has the lead at 31 percent more than double either ted cruz or marco rubio who are in a battle for second place. joining me now from iowa is presidential candidate senator marco rubio, welcome back, senator. >> thing you. >> we start with breaking news and you have good news and that is that iowa's biggest newspaper, the des moines register endorsed you over the weekend saying this "senator marco rubio has the potential to chart a new direction for the part and, perhaps, the nation with his message of restoring the american dream." how big a deal is that for you in iowa? >> i feel it is affirmation our campaign is a serious campaign about solving the problems before this country. barack obama has done it credible damage to the united
11:05 pm
states offer the last seven years and our next president needs to b trayed with that and has to be someone with knows exactly what to do to undo all of the damage and my campaign has been the on that. and a fundamental promise if we do what needs to be done, i believe this country can be greater than it has ever been and i believe our children can be freest and most ross rouse machines that have of lived. that is what our campaign single on and why we are happy to have that endorsement we had a second yesterday from the city journal, another newspaper so we fool positive about the momentum gaping as we closer to the caucus, as you know from prior expense, caucus goers in iowa make up their mind on the day of the caucus or days leading up to it so we are gaining momentum at the right time. >> on the other hand a rule in campaigns is don't pay attention to what politicians say, pay attention to what politicians do. there are reports this week that your campaign has pulled $1
11:06 pm
million in ads in new hampshire and what a switching them from 60-second ads to 30 seconds and a story today said director campaign manage told some top supporters to expect a long slog well into april. that does not sound leak someone who things he will win the usually states. >> first of all, this is a long slog because of the number of people running and it is an unusual primary and an unusual nomination cycle we did not cut any ads we have more ad on television than any candidate in iowa and in you numb and south carolina. we made some strategic choices about shortening the ads because we got better slots and better price. we are always looking to save money to redelow things to reach voters which is what the campaign needs to be about, convincing the largest number of voters possibility that we are the right choice. i know this: if i am the nominee, not only will republicans be getting a solid conservative who will turn this
11:07 pm
country and i will beat hillary clinton or bernie sanders and in the under that is what this is about for republicans we can not allow hillary clinton to win. this country cannot afford four more years like the last seven. >> senator, i was shocked to learn this week that you have been the target of more negative ads, more attack ads by rivals, $20 million in attack ads than any other candidates out there especially from the so-called establish president candidates, your rivals, and your friend and mentor, jeb bush, both his super pac and the campaign, have really gone after you. take a look. >> he ran for senate saying he opposed amnesty. then he blip asked worked with liberal chuck schumer to co-honor path to citizenship. >> dictators like saddam if they go i will not shed a tear. >> i remain unconvinced the use of force proposed here will work. >> senator, why is it that the
11:08 pm
other so-called establishment candidate, chris christie and bush are ganging up. are you disappointed in the way that your friend and mentor, jeb bush, is going after you? >> along, first, two things, in many ways it is an affirmation of what i have been saying, you don't attack a candidate that doesn't have momentum. that is a lot money. you spend it only if you feel someone is a threat. obviously, that affirm was we have been saying we have a path not just to the nomination, but to defeating hillary clinton. the second point i would make about all of this is, in the end, vetteders are investigating on someone they know who will turn the country around. you say establish president candidate, when i have run at this level i take on the establishment and i had to do it when i ran for the public and, now, when i decided to run for president, most of the establishment said to me you cannot run it is not your team you need wait. $20 million did not come in $50 increments it is not grass roads
11:09 pm
money but money from big money who believe we need to nominate the next person in line and i need to wait. it is part of the process. that amount of money being spent against us confirms what i have been saying all along and that is, we are a campaign that is gaping moment up and support, and, obviously, other candidates view that as a threat and they are responding. we will fine in the end. >> one of the knocks against you, senator, is that you are the republican barack obama and you lack the experience to be president. you have been in the senate increase five-plus years. what do you consider your biggest legislative establish ment. >> first, let me say that most important job of president is command are in chief, being president is fought like being a senator but it is not like being a governor, either, it is a unique office and if you look at the entire republican field, no one running for president has more experience or shown better judgment over the last five yours on the issues of national security than i have. i am rudd of the things we have
11:10 pm
ahed in my time, we brought accountability to the v.a., i helped lead an effort that got rid of the obamacare bailout fund, just a month ago, and a bipartisan way i helped them pose additional sanctions on hezbollah. i have experience and accomplishments as speaker of the florida house of representatives but this is about the future, what kind of country we will leave for our children and the number one role of the federal government and the president is to be commander in chief and keep us safe. i will do that. i have more experience. i have shown better judgment on those issues than any of the other candidates in the feel. >> i want to, if up on one of the accomplishments you have mentioned, and you have said often you led the effort to end the bailouts, the so-called risk corridors for obamacare which would protect the insurance companies that lost money on premiums. here you are talking about that. >> i am the only one running for president that has done anything against obamacare. not a speech but i achieved something, i led the effort and
11:11 pm
we got rid of the bailout fund, which could lead to the collapse of obamacare. >> senator, wool you certainly did speak out on the issue, it was other republicans who actually put that provision in a spending bill that obama was forced to sign which put it interest aif county and, next, you voted against that responding bill and the fact checkers at the "washington post" give you as we put it on the screen, four pinocchios for the claim. how do you respond? >> they are wrong. first of all the reason why it was in other worded into the budget is because i was the first to raise it and i spent a year and a half pushing the issue, communicating with the speaker's office and the majority her's office, communicating with my colleagues. for a year and a half i was the only talking about risk corridor of the obamacare bailout. it happened because we led the effort on it. did someone else physically type it up and insert it in the bill? that is an should. maybe, but that is not the issue. who led the effort?
11:12 pm
for everyone watching this from the beginning, to the editorials, including "new york times" wrote say how marco rubio has done something that will lead to the collapse of obamacare, no one can dispute we led the effort and pushed this the entire time and had it not been for our efforts, the obamacare bailout may very well still be there if law. >> we will talk about another controversy involving your record, your tax plan. you would establish three income stacks break coats, topping out at 35 percent rate for the highest earners but some conservatives say that is to high and ted cruz want as flat rate of 10 percent, carson and paul propose a flat tax rate of under 15 percent, and, senator, the argument is their plans would do more to promote economic growth than your plan. >> they would not. two of those plans you just mentioned, especially of ted cruz, contain something called the value-added tax, which is a
11:13 pm
european-style tax you find it in canada, as well --. >> let me interrupted and say you know he flatly denies that. >> he can deny it. it woulds compacts like a value-added tax works and everyone who has looked at that who knows about tabs policy agrees with what i am saying. it is a value-added tax, a tax on businesses, they will have to pay a tax on both the money they make and they will have to pay a tax on the machine they are paying their employees, and this is why ronald reagan hated the vat tax saying it was a way for government to blindfold the people and grow government because the worker does not get a statement with their check show how were they paid in taxes, the business now, their employer is paying the tax, and they will get money to pay the tax by paying their, withers less and by charging high are prices. so it is a way if disgaze the burden of taxation you have created a new tax, and a future liberal president and liberal conditioning now has multiple taxes they can raise, they can still race the income tax but
11:14 pm
they can now also raise the vat tax. it is dangerous. we will not have a vat tax when i am president. on my plan you talk about the high rate, what people leave out we increase the per child tax credit for working families and we allow all businesses, especially s organizes, a large number of members, are paying their taxes as a business, do their business as high as 39.5 percent, under my plan, those small businesses, those s corporations and partnerships, with only be paying 25 percent flat. so my plan actually represents a substantial growth in the economy, but, also, a substantial savings for the vast and overwhelming majority of americans. >> senator we are run out of the time and i will ask you for a quick react use have seen, there are news stories today, "new york times" reporting that billionaire and former new york city mayor bloomberg is considering a third party run for president. how would he shake up the race?
11:15 pm
>> i have not spent a lot of time thinking about mayor bloomberg and what he may or may not do. i have met him a few times and don't agree with him on the second amendment issue. i will wait physical wait physis a candidate. if he decide to be a candidate we will be game. >> is it a disadvantage when you have a bloomberg and trump who are both billionaires? >> this is a from country where the son of a bartender and a maid can be running for the same office and have the same opportunity as the son of a millionaire or for that matter the son of a president. it is extraordinary. no other country in the world would that be possible. that is why i am running. i want america to remain that contained of country. >> that you for your time. we will see you this thursday in iowa.
11:16 pm
>> next, front runers donald trump and ted cruz battle it out as we are closer to the first votes. our sunday group will revie their stepped up attacks. what would you like to ask the pan will about the war between donald trump and ted cruz?
11:17 pm
11:18 pm
we're always looking for ways to speed up your car insurance search. here's the latest. problem is, we haven't figured out how to reverse it. for now, just log on to compare.com... plug in some simple info and get up to 50 free quotes. choose the lowest and hit purchase. now...if you'll excuse me,
11:19 pm
i'm late for an important function. compare.com. saving humanity from high insurance rates. >> ronald reagan would get along with thomas "tip" o'neill and they would sit down and make great deals for everyone. that is watt country is about. >> if you think what we need is more republicans in washington to cut a deal with harry reid and nancy pelosi and chuck schumer, donald trump is your guy. >> donald trump pride himself
11:20 pm
with his skill as a deal maker, and ted cruz fears he would do just that with the washington establishment. now, our group, george will, and lisa lerer would covered for the associated press, and michael needham, and follow news political analyst, juan williams. we will look at that latest fox news poll in iowa we presented today for first time. trump now is up 11 points in the last two weeks. cruz is down four points in the last two weeks. george, now that their truce has ended, has trump gotten better of cruz? >> too soon to say, and too soon to say to trip has done this. this is the week that the governor, longest serving governor in person history came out against ted cruz and broke the tradition of governors remaining neutral in iowa on the issue of ethanol which is an
11:21 pm
important boondoggle to the economy iowa. >> or a worth while program if you are in iowa. >> and general mcarthur said in war every disaster can be explained by two words: too late. the question is, whether the conservative wing of the republican party, the republican wing sex too late to go against donald trump and it is unclear if the fire between ted cruz and donald trump will the effect of the war 20 gephardt and howard dean had in 2004 town that fire on and john kerry snuck through and won the nomination. the poll is showing that donald trump supporters are disproportionately first time voters. >> i will interrupt you there because i will get to that and bring in lisa to discuss exactly that subject. there are some interesting internal numbers in the polls.
11:22 pm
among most of truck's lady, is among the 38 percent of those polled would say this be the first time they go to the caucus, 43 percent to 19 percent but only 3 percent different tense between the from additional caucus goers, so will the donald trump supporters actually show up? >> we don't know. in some ways the iowa contest is the first big test of truck's organization, a highly untraditional campaign and a highly untraditional organization. he is not doing any of the things that you traditionally do in iowa so it is jut not clear. ted cruz is dough all of the things setting up camp cruz a sleep away scamp for the volunteers would come in to help and he is doing what we were supposed to do in the traditional rules in iowa but it is not clear if they apply at all and that is with we will find out when all the folk go to caucus. george mentioned the fact, and too late, the question as to
11:23 pm
whether or not the republican wing of the republican part has delayed too long in fire back against donald trump, and, that ended this week. the "national review," published a special edition called "against trump," w 20 conservative intellectuals railed again the trot runner but this week donald trump got a big personal endorsement the check this out. >> are you ready for a command neither chief who will let our warriors do our job say kick isis ass? who moves more votes, the thingers at the "national review," or sarah palin? we will find out envoters go to the polls. good conservatives are split among all different candidates but we have seen in the last week the establishment has become completely unified and they are unified in trying to kill ted cruz. senator majority leader trent lott who shippered no child last hype is now a lobbyist and
11:24 pm
lobbies for russian corporations and said he will do everything he can to stop ted cruz. after the 2010 election and so many are frustrated with washington, dc and the failed policies, he said well have a bunch of jim demints and we need to co-opt them. >> not just trent lott but bob dole who did an interview with "new york times" that took off after ted cruz. >> and he got them in 1980 stop ronald reagan so the republican establishment absolutely hates the fact that ted cruz has come to --. >> are leaving out donald trump, they don't like him either. >> and the appeal has been he isant establishment candidate. >> the average voter particularly for grass roots tea party voter who you represent, is anti establishment a plus or minus? >> it is clear that the two canidates duking it out are the mostant establishment, donald trump because of his personality and ted cruz because of the
11:25 pm
conservative ideas and he has not been co-opted and he fought them and they hate skit they fear ted cruz has not been co-opted. >> one other question, before juan comes in. a comment, an odd comment, that donald trump made on the stump yesterday. here is it. all the polls say i have the most loyal people. did you see that? i could stand in the middle of fifth avenue and shoot someone and i would not lose voters. okay? incredible. >> michael, there are times you just shake your head is that funny or alarming? >> he machine it funny. but donald trump has run a campaign break every system rule of licks and that is what people want because every single rule of politics has gotten this country $19 trillion in debt. you do not do that without a lot of person banship, and that is why ted cruz is hated by the establishment and why donald trump has taken off. this is an anti-establish
11:26 pm
president year. >> you are endorsing cruz it sounds like. >> i am endorsing anti-establishment. >> i will ask you -- you don't mentioned trump. poor donald trump. >> we got this tweeted to us by a fellow or woman, i suppose, by the name "steelers slob," would treats this "are donald trump and ted cruz going to feel siltly after they tear each other apart and marco rubio eats their lunch." what do you say to that, juan; what do you make of the trial balloon we see in the "new york times" today that michael bloomberg could run as a third-party independent candidate? >> on the first score, we will say --. ought steelers slob. >> that was interesting. anyway, on the politics of this, earlier you heard george mentioned what happened in the d race some time ago when you had john kerry schneck through the
11:27 pm
lane and you have here marco rubio as the leader of the establishment group, the christies and the kasich group but it is too little too late. he had a good debate and has been the best open steal when it comes to republican debate, yet, it has had almost no effect in terms of pushing him into the upper layer. it is clearly now between donald trump and ted cruz and the other thing, on the key issues here, he needs ted cruz to fall apart. specifically, immigration and the lake. ted cruz is staying there, right now, that is eating up the opportunity for marco rubio. >> in 20 seconds, bloomberg? >> bloomberg said it is all about hillary clinton and he things if hillary clinton is able to best bernie sanders and it is not a matter of donald trump or cruz against bernie sanders he is not running. >> he just needs a big centrist open avenue before he would consider doing it.
11:28 pm
>> i didn't. >> next, two hers of the congressional intelligence committee tackle the latest chapter in the clinton e-mail slander e-mails with a classification level above "top secret." is the clinton scandal real or just politics?
11:29 pm
11:30 pm
11:31 pm
>> a look outside the beltway at car lot, north carolina, where they are now shoveling out the stadium ahead of the nfc championship game between the carolina panthers and the arizona cardinals. now, to the latest developments in the hillary clinton e-mail scandal. we learned that some of the information is so sensitive most lawmakers can not read them. two top members of the house and senate intelligentsia, in washington, adam schiff and in oklahoma republican senator james lankford. senator lankford how sensitive was some of the information in hillary clinton's private e-mails and does it represent a security threat if a foreign government was able to get ahold of it? >> absolutely it represent as security let. there are 1,340 e-mails we know of so far that had classified information whether it is tepeesive classified or top secret and there has been a lot
11:32 pm
of information about what they call special access program information that is included and it has been referred to as above top secret. it is not "above," but it is a special compartment amized top secret and only certain individuals can see this it is a major risk to have this kind of information outside of a government server. you have played down this storyings congressman, what about the fact that some of this information on hick help's private server we learned was the special access program, a special classification some say higher, and some say a special classification inside top secret? >> i have gone through a lot of the e-mails and you can see why there would be a difference of opinion between the state department and the intelligence intelligence about with they should be classified at all, what the classification might be and i would not rush to judgment based on the inspector
11:33 pm
citizen's cover letter. i tinge that given the that nothing was marked classified at the time this is no reason when you read the contents for the secretary to lead to the conclusion they should have been marked as "classified." an example why, if i were to send an e-mail to secretary john kerry who is on a trip to visit a foreign leader, including an article in the "new york times" or another publication, about a snowden leak and i am making this up, if that e-mail suggests that the snowden leak is accurate it could be classified, if it is just to put the secretary on notice it could come up, it is unclassified. you can see why even among compartmented programs there could be a difference of opinion. >> senator lankford congressman adam schiff but hillary clinton are pushing back hard on the story with the spokesman accused the inspector citizen if the let here he sent, two committee
11:34 pm
chairman, accusing the inspector general of playing politics. here is the spokesperson. >> he put up two republican senators to send this letter to bring this out that have been discredited. >> hillary clinton said the suppose through super secret information was a "new york times" article about a drone program. here she is. >> the best we can determine is it is likely what they are referring to is the forwarding of a "new york times" article. >> senator, let me ask directly to respond to them and to congressman schiff. (1) is it just politics? (2) is it the newspaper article? in, this clinton procedure of attacking the passenger and saying the messenger must be a
11:35 pm
messenger of the right wing vast conspiracy out there, the inspector general is an obama appointee and dough his job, is asked to keep the committee up to date and be able to keep the committee in the house of representatives and the senate up to date is the task. the inspector subsequent is not calls these sensitive or classified or top secret. it is in the state department community and even the state department has continued to redact the doubts over and over again saying this should not go identity. this includes methods, including procedures, including human intelligence, including foreign and governmentness. if something is sent to the secretary of state saying for your eyes only or this is foreignness it is on its face classified and they do not have to be marked classify, it is known it is classifiedness. >> let me follow-up on this, our
11:36 pm
intelligence reporter has said that some of the information in the maims -- e-mails including human intelligence operations and some of the information that was either sent to clinton sore she sent back doesn't include sources and methods. >> i not get into that. for national security reasons for all of us we need say away from us, we both say out of what is in the e-mails but i would say that is some of the most sincive type of information that would be out there because peoples lives are on the line or sources are on the line and anything like that is ever cover. >> do you think lives were online in some of the information in the e-mail service. >> i am not going to get into that for natural security reasons for all of the diagnoses but i would say by time any information that will comes out that has any human intelligence connected to it or can confer something that is out there in the public set, people may
11:37 pm
wonder about but they done know and when the conversation starts, it confirms it, it tells our adversaries they can get to a private server stored in new york outside of the government system when they get that confirmation, it does do serious damage to our sources and method. >> i want to pick up on one thing that senator lankford said the inspector subsequent who sent thisness was just reporting what the intelligence community was saying, and appointed by barack obama and confirmed unanimously by a democratically controlled senate and he hardly seems like the right person for a political hit job. >> i would say this, chris, you have several republican chairs who are actively campaigns against hillary clinton and doing investigations at the same time. one of which went to --. >> he was an obama appointee. >> let me finish, one want to a donald trump rally and he said his purpose was to defeat
11:38 pm
hillary clinton and they are conducting investigations in congress of the secretary during the presidential campaign. i think it the inspector subsequent has to be very came and not ally him to be used by one political party against another during the presidential race and the inspottor enand had to know or should know that when you put an unclassified form letter, you have to ronbly expect it will be leaked and that let are was gratuitous in the information it included. it could have transmitted the information from the intelligence community without commentary in it. by pitting the commentary in and know it would be located, the inspector general risks his reputation and when you lose that you are not much good to anyone so the i spotter john has to be very came ought fbi is now investigating all the material and former federal judge and bush attorney general mukasey had an article and he wrote it
11:39 pm
is nearly impossible to draw any conclusion other than she, hillary clinton, knew enough to support a conviction at the least for pass handling classified information. senator lankford, with david petraeus would led surge in iraq if he was prosecute up on charges for roughly similar actions, what about hillary clinton? >> i will let f.b.i. determine that. he has been a good leader for file my and nonpartisan in the process but the real question becomes, willfully retained, did the secretary state willfully retain classifyied information, and it does not is to be marked classify, but information that was classified on a nongovernment entity on her own server this is what paula broad well faced. she was forced to resign and lost her security clearance. no other cabinet official had a
11:40 pm
private server and kept information. this would be completely unacceptable for the secretary defense to be able to have a private server because you assume connections that occur with the secretary defense would be classified and you assume the same for the secretary of state. the issue of willfully retaping is the question that the f.b.i. will have to determine. >> 30 seconds, congressman schiff, is there a criminal case? >> there is no evidence you have to take the former attorney general mukasey comments as a former job bush advisor with a grain of salt. he is working on an opponent's campaign of hillary clinton and you consider the facts of the petraeus case with a deliberate decision to share classified information with a mistress and was less than candid about it with the guy file that is a very different situation than someone who received information not
11:41 pm
marked classify. >> what about the --. >> let me mention another thing in response to my colleague's comments, so many of the e-mails that are now considered to include classifiedness by the state department, the state department agencies they not classified at time they were received bit secretary, but, now, will be mad classified because they could embarrass a foreign government. >> you understand the fact whether it is marked classified or not is not the question of whether it is classified information. >> i understand but the fact th classified after the fact is significant because at the tool they were received by the secretary they were not classified. >> some of those --. all the second should know what is classified and what isn't. aif you go through the maims as i have it is not apparent open face, it can depend what it comes from a classified source or newspaper article. it is not as self evident as you might thing. >> never expected to handle this today. thank you both, gentleman, for
11:42 pm
joining us today. >> with the race tightening in iowa and hillary clinton falling behind in new hampshire, she goes on the attack against bernie sanders.
11:43 pm
11:44 pm
11:45 pm
>> a sharp contrast in campaign ads at democratic race as we enter the final stretch before the iowa caucus. police; the last time most of us looked at the d race it seemed that hillary clinton had a pretty clear path to the democratic nomination. now, take a look at latest real
11:46 pm
clear politic amendments. in iowa hillary clinton leads by over six points. if new hampshire, bernie sanders leads hillary clinton by 11 points. what happened to the lat few weeks? >> there is no question the path is messy and less clear. the race in iowa is very tight and in new hampshire, bernie sanders is from the neighboring state of vermont and has a slight advantage. when you are beyond the first to states, it is better, for hillary clinton she is stronger, remains stronger with minority communities and bernie sanders has trouble making inroads through but we you are beyond super tuesday with southern rates you have the when caucuses in places like colorado where he could do quite well. this could be a drawn out battle, hillary clinton advisors and other democratics have told me that it could go until may or june. it could end up being a slog and the question is how much damage it does for her when, if she makes it to general.
11:47 pm
>> as i said before, watch what politicians do and not what they say and hillary clinton are going after bernie sanders now in a way they never have before in this campaign, saying he is a socialist, he is too far to the last on foreign policy, and the economy, and taxes and at least in the early voting states and i know they are more liberal, it does not seem to be sticking. >> he, hillary clinton is saying to the democratic nominated electorate, well to the left the their party as the republican nominating effort is to the right of the center of hit party saying do not vote for too left wing and unleash chelsea clinton who said, he wants to dismantle obamacare and medicaid and bernie sanders said i have always been for system payer system which is where the democratic electorate is. we her problem is she has to hold together the obama coalition, the coalition to beat her in 2008 without obama at the to which the ticket.
11:48 pm
it will be a long slog. what we know already, is that hillary clinton is not a wine that travels well. she does not benefit from a last exposure. the more people see her the more they recoil. she in a worse position in january of 2016 than in january of 2008 and i still think that our previous guest notwithstanding, her biggest problem may not be a senator names bernie sanders but a general named petraeus, because the petraeus precedent does not look good for someone who has carelyless --. ought fact he was prosecuted for mishandling of classified information. >> correct; probably much less important classified information. >> wait, he gave that information to someone else. hillary clinton did not give any information. it is never been asserted that her server, privilege as it was, was violated. >> what is clear she violated the rules and what is important
11:49 pm
here, whether the careless and reckless. >> you can make a negligence argument but that would be -- that is not a legal charge, and, clearly, what petraeus --. >> wait, senator lankford said will if mishandling. let me quickly and i will tee it up for you, hillary clinton was asked about it this week and like her manager she dismissed it as political. here she is. >> this seems to me to be another effort to inject this into the campaign, it is another leak. >> juan, there are a couple of points, you have the inspector subsequent saying it is so sensitive, like a double secret probation and i did not know this existed, special access program and despite adam schiff talking about we don't want him discrediting himself obama oh point eye con fed by a
11:50 pm
democratic-controlled senate. >> and he has referly said something was classified and then you had the greater of national intelligence, claims clap are saying it was a mistake and it should national intelligence james clapper coming to say, no, it was not classified. we have arguments between different people on what is classified and what is not classified as you heard earlier in the segment. the over arching thing to me is republicans don't want to run against hillary clinton. they believe they have an easier shot against bernie sanders. that's why you have karl rove running ads in iowa against hillary clinton. republicans have a vested interest. so this becomes a highly politicized investigation. at the moment, yes, mrs. clinton is entitled, privileged, secretive, but did she cross the line, chris? did she violate the law? that's what i'm arguing. >> despite the endorsement coming from juan williams. by the end of 2008, the last
11:51 pm
remaining argument hillary clinton could make against barack obama was she was confident. you wanted her to pick up the phone call at 3:00 a.m. when want williams is saying, this is negligence. >> i think she broke the rules. >> the difference between 2008 and now is that the last argument she had, i'm confident you want me picking up the phone call, even that one doesn't stand anymore. >> so lisa, it's interesting because the clinton people are now saying, even if she were to lose iowa, even if she were to lose new hampshire, there's a firewall, you get to south carolina and a lot of the southern states before you get to the weswestern caucuses, do buy that? >> i just think there's no reason for sanders to drop out of the race. he has the money, he has enthusiasm. even if it's her firewall, she won't have enough delegates and why would he quit. yes, he's taken e-mails off the table but is talking about her
11:52 pm
wall street ties and her paid secrets. those arguments are a fundamental problem she faces which is the question of honesty and truthfulness. it's exactly what the e-mail -- the problem with the e-mail for voters is, was she telling the truth? and if his arguments dovetail into the theme, she's have a problem heading into the general election. >> we have less than 30 seconds. you know george as well as i do, in campaigns, if a surprise happens, momentum can change on a dime. a campaign, think of gary hart, walter mondale, the front-runner, lose a couple races and it could be a bump. >> you lose the two races and then the other states you want to double down on are a failure. the democratic electorate to the left is going to abandon bernie sanders. >> thank you, panel. see you next sunday. up next, the power player of the week. the man behind ted cruz and the secret to their ground game.
11:53 pm
11:54 pm
11:55 pm
a look at the snow covered marine corps memorial in arlington, virginia. we started introducing you to some of the key figures behind the leading presidential contender.
11:56 pm
well, today a hardball consultant for a hardball candidate, here is our power player of the week. >> i think the riggers of democracy require us to have a real full-throated conversation about our beliefs, defend our beliefs and point out the differences in our opponents' beliefs. >> full-throated is the high-minded way ted cruz's campaign manager jeff roe describes his brand of politics. but a video for his company -- >> it will help you defeat your opponent. >> he's ruthless in backing his candidate. >> your entire life is going under a microscope. and you want someone with him to ruthlessly defend them. >> so you don't shy away from that work? >> no, i'm ruthless. the context to me is it is just all in. we get a few days in iowa. >> it was all in for cruz leading an army of 200,000 volunteers in a campaign that emphasizes data. >> we don't have donors in 68%
11:57 pm
of the zip codes in this country. we have volunteers in 81% of the zip codes in this country. >> roe uses psychographicing targeting relying on publicly available information on voters. >> we have 17 different scripts on the door, on the phones and in different mail pieces for each voter segment. >> reporter: which means they not only know if you back on the right but whether you are more likely to respond to a mailer about the hunting tradition or crime stats in places with less gun control. the bottom line to brand cruz for voters -- >> scrape all the nightly tracking and analytics we do, it is strong christian conservative leader are the big words in the word cloud. >> jeff roe built his reputation as the bad boy of missouri politics. in 2008 he targeted a democrat who was running for congress. >> big city mayor kay barnes and nancy pelosi are celebrating
11:58 pm
their values. >> is that where donald trump's values came from? >> you would be hard pressed to find a campaign that doesn't talk about values so there's no link. >> reporter: four years ago roe worked against cruz in the texas primary. he put out the mailer that cruz betrayed his company by representing a company with ties to china. now they are on the same side. >> we are running a deeply data driven analytical campaign. and it's identifying the voters we need and devoting the resources we need to mobilize them and get them out. and jeff does a remarkable job. >> how confident are you that cruz will win the nomination? >> we will win. >> excuse me? >> we will win because it's hard to stop the movement that has chosen him to be the leader. >> and then something surprising happened. as the ruthless bad boy describes the grassroots support. >> we have millions of people that are donating to the campaign. that's -- a big thing. >> you're getting emotional. >> yeah.
11:59 pm
>> why? >> it's important. who runs our country is important. and this is an honor to lead it. >> roe grew up on a hog farm in missouri. when i asked how that prepared him for a career in politics, he said, hog farms are a lot cleaner. now this program, be sure to tune in to fox news thursday at 9:00 p.m. eastern for the next gop debate. just four days before the voting starts in iowa. that's it for today. have a great week. we'll see you next "fox news sunday" live from des moines. and we leave you today with some images of the blizzard of 2016. ♪ atatatatatatatatatatatatatatat.
12:00 am
i'll see you tomorrow on the fox business network. \s the two leading republican candidates, donald trump and ted cruz sit down with me. trump hitting back. your reaction? >> sarah is smart, and she cunning, and she's a good person. >> what about the media attack? >> they can attack. in the meantime she has one of the best records -- i will tell you ted cruz wanted her so badly, he almost cried. he's a nervous wreck. >> and

50 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on