Skip to main content

tv   The O Reilly Factor  FOX News  January 27, 2016 5:00pm-6:01pm PST

5:00 pm
edition of "on the record" from at great state of iowa that's this sunday january 31st. o'reilly is next. >> the o'reilly factor from l.a. is on. tonight: >> most likely, i'm not going to do the debate. >> surprise move from trump. >> he's out. donald trump says he is going to skipbn tomorrow's night republic can debate on fox. >> he will boycott the last debate before iowa's first in the nation caucuses. >> donald trump, once again, the talk of the nation, saying he will not show up to tomorrow's fox news debate. but he will be on the factor exclusively tonight. caution, you are about to enter the no spin zone from southern california. factor begins right now. ♪ ♪
5:01 pm
hi, i'm bill o'reilly. reporting tonight from los angeles. thank you for watching us tonight. so we have a big story going on as donald trump says he will not participate in a fox news republican debate tomorrow it evening in iowa. his reason seems to be fox news anchor and debate moderator megyn kelly who mr. trump believes is not treating him fairly. but candidates often feel that way about journalists and news organizations can't allow any outside person to dictate coverage. tonight, i will forego the traditional talking points memo so we can hear from mr. trump extensively. but i will say this to begin our reporting. america is not in a good place these days. almost 70% of adults agree with that statement. we need strong leadership to revive the country. donald trump is leading in the republican polling because he is perceived to be a strong leader by many. however, americans are still taking their measure, mr. trump.
5:02 pm
tonight, we will concentrate on issues, not personal stuff. mr. trump joins us now from florida. so i appreciate your coming on. most politicians would have dodged this interview, but i have to tell you something. i don't think not showing up at the debate tomorrow night is good for america. voters are still assessing you. they need to see you in high profile situations. or am i wrong? >> well, i think you are wrong because, frankly, when you are mistreated as we were with the iran deal, our country should have walked. secretary6 kerry, president obama should have walked from that deal. you would have made a much better deal. i was not treated well by fox. they came out with this ridiculous pr statement like drawn up by a child. there was a taunt. i said how much do you take. i have zero respect for megyn kelly. i don't think she is very good at what she does. i think she is highly overrated. frankly she is a moderator. i thought her question last time was ridiculous. everybody said that after
5:03 pm
the debate. everybody said i won all six debates and especially the last one. i don't mind debating. actually i like debating. >> let's look at it from a broader point of view rather than how you feel. you are running for president. i believe you want to improve the country. i believe that personally, all right, as an person that you want to improve the country. by doing this, all right, you lose an opportunity to convince others, who may put you into the white house that indeed is true. you have, in this debate format the upper hand. you have 60 seconds right off the top to tell any of the moderators you're a unfair and here is why and here is what i want to say. by walking away from it, you lose an opportunity to persuade people that you are a strong leader. that's my opinion. >> well, i understand your opinion, bill. but tomorrow night at 9:00 at drake university we're
5:04 pm
event at i will have much more than 60 seconds, frankly. we will raise a lot of money for the veterans. a lot of money is going to be raised. a lot of people are going to be there, and i can do some good. frankly i think that's good. fox is going to make a fortune on this debate. now they will make much less. fox would have and still might. i hope they do i hope they do well. i don't really care. fox is going to make a lot of money on the debate. we broke the all-time record on cable television 24 million people and, yet, in the previous cycle, you were talking about tiny fraction of that. so, there is a reason for the 24 million people. cnn, likewise, broke its all-time record with 23 million people. i just don't like being used. and when they issued that tweet or whatever it was that fox issued, i guess it was a press release. >> donald, i got it. i got it. >> it was like children. i think it was inappropriate. >> if you are elected president, you are going to get a lot more than that. all right. >> let me give you one example, bill, let me give
5:05 pm
you. i agree to do do this show with you last week. i didn't cancel it. >> right. no we respect you for that. >> frankly you are a lot tougher man megyn kelly in my opinion. >> it doesn't matter. i'm trying to convince you that your tact is wrong because it's better for the folks to see you in a debate format. let me give you another example. newt gingrich four years ago, pretty much on the dime was in the cnn interview. you may remember this in south carolina. and he was treated much worse, much worse than you have ever been treated by anybody. because they brought up he said/she said, john king the moderator about an ex-wife that was tawdry, disrespectful, shouldb< have never been in the debate. gingrich knew it was coming and gingrich let cnn and king have it it and the result was he won the south carolina primary by a lot. and people gained a lot of respect for him. so, you saw gingrich tested,
5:06 pm
and the folks liked what he did. and i'm tellingh= you, that's the way to go here. if they treated you unfairly, and i don't believe they would, i don't believe the three moderators would treat you unfairly tomorrow night, then you have got 60 seconds to let them have it right between the guys. that's the kind of guy you are. you stand up. you let them have it. >> well, first of all, newt is a friend of mine. i thought he did great. i thought it was a very unfair question. >> that's right. >> equally unfair was the question begin kelly asked me in that debate. >> i don't think so. >> everybody said i won that debate and gave a great earn. believe it or not rosie o'donnell was a good. only rosy has been good for me. >> you are making my point. you are making my point. you gained in that. you gained in that you are making my point. >> this also has to do with the attitude of fox.
5:07 pm
>>. stupid of fox and what they did. >> we are going to have a great event tomorrow night and raising a lot of money and that's a good thing. >>4ç look, donald, you can do that any night and i can help you and we will raise five times as much money. i have a really good idea that i want you to be involved with about raising money we will get to that later. >> i will do other debates, bill. >> you are making a big mistake. >> could i just say one thing? >> sure. >> we have had six debates so far. every online poll said i won every one of the debates, especially the last one by the way with the new york values which was horrible what ted cruz said. but, you know what? the democrats are all finished with their debates. they have had six. they were hidden behind football games and every other thing. they are all finished with their debates. we are going to go on forever with these debates. to start doing other things other than debating. >> all right. i have got that. >> like gilmore he never even heard of this man. wait a minute, we have people in our debates that, you know, they are at zero. >> that's the subdebate and not your debate.
5:08 pm
you are making two mistakes. number one, if you get the nomination you have to win the general election and the more exposure you get under pressure the better for you. number two, if i had the been the do bait moderator last august i would ask you about that comment. i wouldn't ask it the same way. >> i don't think i don't think d have. >> what you said about carly fiorina. you opened the door for it you explain what you meant about miss fiorina. >> excuse me, bill. you would not have asked that question that way and, by the way, i love. >> not that way but i would have asked it. >> that's why i'm doing your show tonight, bill. i'm only doing it because i agreed to do it last week otherwise i wouldn't have even done it. but i made a commitment last week and would are doing it. >> you have to understand number one kelly's question was within journalistic bounds. >> i disagree. >> okay. that's good. that's good. you made your case. you won the debate. that's what america is about. robust debate. >> that's fine. >> don't walk away from it let's talk about something more important.
5:09 pm
bill, let's talk about something more important. this is not that important. let's talk about something more important: >> okay. i have got lots of questions for you. question number one, and most of these are perm questions in the sense that i want people to know you. i have known you 35 years. all right. they don't know you. i know you. >> that's right. >> you went to church last week. you don't usually go. and you went to church in iowa. >> do i go. a go a lot. what do you mean i usually don't go. i go a lot. not every sunday. >> protestant. >> i am protestant. >> in your christian faith, there is a very significant tenet and that's the tenet of forgiveness. i think you should forgive not only journalists who come at you in ways you don't like, but i think you should be the bigger man and say, you know what? i didn't like it and you should make that case all day⌟zñ long. but, i'm not going to take any action against it. you know, don't you think
5:10 pm
do? >> it probably is. but, you know, it's called an eye for an eye i guess you can look at it that way? >> oh, no, no, no. if you are the christian the eye for the eye rule goes out. here is what it is. turning the other cheek. taking this much more seriously than i am. i'm not it taking it seriously. i'm going to have a wonderful time tomorrow night at drake university. >> you depriving the people of seeing you in a[@ forum they need to see you in. >> no. we have a lot of press will be there and everybody. we are going to help a lot of veterans whereas fox is not giving anything to the veterans. i'm giving 100 percent to the veterans. >> oh, stop. >> i'm going to make a substantial donation. >> look, fox news has allowed me to raise more than $20 million for veterans who need the track chairs so don't give me that i'm going to hold you over against your will. all right. >> that's okay. >> later on we will have reaction about this interview from newt gingrich
tv-commercial
5:11 pm
: eboni williams. factor is coming back from l.a. when you've got a house full of guests on the way and a cold with sinus pressure, you need fast relief. alka-seltzer plus severe sinus congestion and cough liquid gels rush relief to your tough symptoms. to put you back in control. [doorbell] woman: coming! alka-seltzer plus sinus.
5:12 pm
weyoung company around but if we want to keep the soda pop flowing we need fresh ideas! >>got it. we slow, we die. >>what about cashing out? no! i'm trying to build something here. >>how about using fedex ground for shipping? >>i don't need some kid telling me how to run a business! i've been doing this for 4 long months. >>fedex ground can help us save money and deliver fast to our customers. not bad, kid. you remind me of a younger me. >>aiden! the dog is eating your retainer again. let's take a short 5-minute recess. fedex ground is faster to more locations than ups ground.
5:13 pm
i built my business with passion. but i keep it growing by making every dollar count. that's why i have the spark cash card from capital one. i earn unlimited 2% cash back on everything i buy for my studio. ♪ and that unlimited 2% cash back from spark means thousands
5:14 pm
of dollars each year going back into my business... that's huge for my bottom line. what's in your wallet? continuing now with donald trump who is in florida this evening. a lot of people thought when you start to do run this was a joke, that you weren't going to get anywhere. that you were a buffoon. you know it all. >> i don't think they thought i was a buffoon. what kind of a statement is that i had a great company. number one best selling book. top television show in television. >> you were run down as a showman. >> that's not very -- bill, it's not a very nice way of expressing. no, they thought i wouldn't run and then they thought if i did run i would just have a good time for a little while and then i would get out. unfortunately for them i'm ahead by many, many points. >> now,)9)ñ you could absolutely secure this republican nomination. so you are one person away
5:15 pm
and it's probably going to be hillary clinton from being the president of the united states, that's abraham lincoln, that's george washington, that's f.d.r., okay. i submit to you that you need to change and get#j away from the personal, they hurt my feelings, they are unfair to me and make it ba b. them, the folks. not about you. and you elevate then to a place where you could win this if you do that. am i crazy? >> you are not crazy at all, bill, but it is about them. it's about making america great again. that's why i'm doing that it's not because i want the position. i know the potential of this country how great the country can be. our leader is not doing the job. i'm trying to be nice. our leader is not doing the job. there is so much potential in this country. and i have gotten to see it so well. i'm traveling all over. right now i'm going to south carolina as soon as i finish with this. i'm in florida. i go to south carolina. i go to iowa tonight. i'm all over the country. i'm see unbelievable people.
5:16 pm
i'm seeing unbelievable potential. and it's untapped potential because we're not allowing ourselves to be great. with bad de/2e! with china. we have deals where we lose hundreds of billions of dollars a year with china. with japan, with mexico, with vietnam, with everybody. and all of that is going to change, bill. and i am doing it for the people. i'm not doing it for myself. i'm doing it for the people. >> there is two tracks. when the folks, when the american public elects a president, they elect two tracks. they elect policy and a person. would you say that right now donald trump, all right, is a person who can let petty things, and that's what i think this is all about, this petty things influence him to the extent that he doesn't do what maybe he should do? >> well, let me put it a little differently. i don't like being taken advantage of. in this case i was being
5:17 pm
taken advantage of by fox. now when i'm representing the country if i win, as president, i won't let our country because that's a personality trait. i'm not going to let our country be taken advantage of by iran and by when you ago with the sailors on their knees in a begging position with their hands up and guns, rifles at their head and we are giving them $150 billion two days later. that's the only reason we got them back. i don't want that to happen to our country. so it is a personality trip but i don't -- trait, but i dont think it's a bad personality trait. bill. >> not see what the real important thing is, look, putin is going to come at you. the mullahs are going to come at you. >> that's all right. that's okay. >> the terrorists are going to come at you. it's going to be personal. they are going to do everything they can to diminish you and you as a president will have to rise above that, all right, and do what's best for the
5:18 pm
country. and this exposition that we're talking about today, people are going to say, you know trump, he is so too self-absorbed to be president. he needs to look at the bigger picture. the bigger picture is get your message to the folks. >> there has got to be something because you set the all-time record in cable history and so did cnn and. >> they want to know you. they want' to know you. >> that's fine. >> but by walking away from the debate, you are not giving them -- >> -- i'm not walking away. i was pushed away. i'm not walking away, bill. >> you are walking away. would you do me a favor. >> bill, i'm not. >> because i bottom you so many vanilla milk shakes you owe me. >> true. >> would you consider, i want you to consider, all right, think about it, say, look, i might come back, forgive, go forward, answer the questions, look out for the folks. just want you to consider it you owe me milk shakes, i will take them off othe ledger if you consider it.
5:19 pm
>> well, even though you and i had an agreement that you wouldn't ask me that, which we did, i will, therefore, forget that you asked me that. it's not up to me, bill. >> you are actually telling it the truth there. that's the truth. telling the truth that i said. >> because i told you upfront i said don't ask me that question because it's an embarrassing question to you and i don't want to embarrass you. >> i'm not going to listen to any political person tell me don't ask me anything. you are absolutely an honest man that i said i will try not to do it but the milk shake thing just overwhelmed me. but, i'm asking you to reconsider it. >> that's true. a lot of milk shakes. >> if you don't want, to it's up to you. i will give you a compliment. i don't know any politician under these circumstances that would have come on and done what you did tonight. i just don't know any. >> by the way this is much tougher than the debate. bill, this is much tougher being with you because
5:20 pm
this is much tougher than doing the debate with megyn kelly. >> that's why you should do it and have fun tomorrow night. >> i'm going to have fun. drake university. 9:00 drake university raise money for the veterans. watch. >> you owe me 17 milk shakes then and i want them. >> that's okay. i will do that. thank you, bill. >> all right. donald. well, that was interesting. on tomorrow's factor. we will read a lot of your letters for reaction and give you press reaction to it as well. next on the rundown. the aforementioned newt gingrich will weigh in on the trump interview. right back from l.a. -5
5:21 pm
see see me. don't stare at me. see me. see me. see me to know that psoriasis is just something that i have. i'm not contagious. see me to know that i won't stop. until i find what works. discover cosentyx, a different kind of medicine for moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. proven to help the majority of people find clear or almost clear skin.
5:22 pm
8 out of 10 people saw 75% skin clearance at 3 months. while the majority saw 90% clearance. do not use if you are allergic to cosentyx. before starting, you should be tested for tuberculosis. an increased risk of infections and lowered ability to fight them may occur. tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms... ...such as fever, sweats, chills, muscle aches or cough. or if you have received a vaccine or plan to. if you have crohn's disease, tell your doctor as symptoms can worsen. serious allergic reactions may occur. see me. see me. see me on my way. find clear skin and a clearer path forward. for a different kind of medicine, ask your dermatologist about cosentyx.
5:23 pm
♪ he has a sharp wit. a winning smile. and no chance of getting an athletic scholarship. and that is why you invest. the best returns aren't just measured in dollars.
5:24 pm
in the impact segment tonight, reaction to the donald trump interview. joining us from washington newt gingrich. this is a big moment for the republican party, i think. do you agree? >> i think this is a very important break in what has been an interesting story. and frankly it's a little hard to understand why trump is going down this detour. i think it's not to his ad vantage. i think the excuses are laughable. you know, and i thought by the way the two of you had a great dialogue. i mean, i think that was a very effective interview on both sides. but i think his excuses make no sense. >> they make sense in the context -- let me just stick up for him because i think it's the right thing to do. they make sense in the context of who he is. all right? >> right. >> and i think that was the worthiness of the interview. as i said, when you vote for president, you vote for two tracks. policy and the person. all right. so donald trump feels aggrieved, he feels aggrieved. if i were in his position, i would not, and i submit that
5:25 pm
you would not because you were in his position. you got up& there. you knew it was coming, and you gave it right back to them and you won. but he feels aggrieved. >> you know, i have been intrigued because he is such a phenomenon. over christmas i read the art of the deal and wrote a column about it i'm just now finishing the art of the come back which is in some ways a more interesting book. here is part of the challenge that trump faces. again, he has certainly been more clever than the rest of us. he has done things i thought were not survivable and he actually gained ground. my advice may be of no value. there comes a point and you touched on it briefly. there comes a point when you have got to become more than a new york real estate billionaire. you have got to be somebody who thinks about the nation. you have got to be something whos about the entire republican party. somebody who thinks about where we are going. that person owes it to the country to show up for the
5:26 pm
debate. because that's part of the process by which we pick the people that we want to have lead us. and his explanations for why he is not going are so personal and so petty that they actually shrink him. i think he ought to understand. primaries can change very fast. they are not like general elections where people are bound by party loyalty. he can talk to a number of folks, starting with ronald reagan who skipped the debate in iowa and lost the iowa caucus and never again skipped a debate. was convinced his campaign manager was wrong. >> let me play devil's advocate here. you rightly pointed out that trump has outsmarted every trump has outsmarted every politician in the race. campaign that nobody has ever seen in this country since, i think, andrew jackson who would shoot people if he didn't like them. all right. you can't do that now. sometimes i wish you could. but, trump is running on an
5:27 pm
campaign. i don't take any b.s. that media or that reporter is going to give me b.s. i'm going to do what i do. so maybe, in the consistency of i don't take any garbage it makes sense. i agree with you. i think he has got to rise above and go to the folks. particularly if he wants to win the general to get the nomination. go ahead. >> first of all, the idea be president of the united states and not take any b.s. is hopeless. the president of the united states gets hit all the time by people who don't particularly like him. he has all sorts of surprises over the course of four or eight years. part of what we know is how stable are you? and being petulant about a fox news press release which, by the way, i thought was a pretty stupid press release, but almost designed to start the fight over the weekend. but, being petulant about that shrinks him, in terms of whog he should be. if he wants to lead a movement.
5:28 pm
but his followers and his voters and devotes. i didn't think the press release was foolish. i thought it was satirical. rising above the pettiness and saying okay, you are going to get upset about this. you will have a lot more to give. they did it in a clever way. anybody making a big deal about that, it's a matter of style. some people like that and some people don't. final word on this. the republican party, you know, it's chaos now. do you think -- >> -- sure. >> anything is ever going to come together. >> of course. eventually we have a nominee. here's the only thing that i would say about where trump is right now. it's a long way. we haven't had our first vote. that's coming next monday. it's a long way. what he doesn't want to do is leave enough space for somebody to start growing in to being a real competitor in addition to cruz. if he ends up with a kasich
tv-commercial
5:29 pm
or somebody else beginning to really emerge by new a much more excite contest than he wants. he has a chance to put it away. he think he has a greater likelihood of putting it away if he goes to the debate. bigger risk by not being on that debate stage tomorrow night. >> mr. speaker as always, we thank you. plenty more ahead as the factor moves along. what -- big debate tomorrow night and the trump situation. we hope you stay tuned to those reports. jeb bush has a plan... to destroy them. and keep america safe. jeb bush: the united states should not delay in leading a global coalition to take out isis with overwhelming force. announcer: tested and proven leadership matters.
5:30 pm
jeb bush. right to rise usa is responsible for the content of this message. the wolf was huffing and puffing. like you do sometimes, grandpa? well, when you have copd, it can be hard to breathe. it can be hard to get air out, which can make it hard to get air in. so i talked to my doctor. she said... symbicort could help you breathe better, starting within 5 minutes. symbicort doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. symbicort helps provide significant improvement of your lung function. symbicort is for copd, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. symbicort contains formoterol. medicines like formoterol increase the risk of death from asthma problems. symbicort may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. you should tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. symbicort could mean a day with better breathing. watch out, piggies! (children giggle) symbicort. breathe better starting within 5 minutes.
5:31 pm
call or go online to learn more about a free trial offer. if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help.
5:32 pm
thcompetition, it's protecting buscustomer trust.not every day you read headlines about governments and businesses being hacked, emails compromised, and intellectual property being stolen. that is cyber-crime, and it affects each and every one of us. microsoft created the digital crimes unit to investigate and fight cyber crime. we use the microsoft cloud to visualize information, so we can track down the criminals. using our advanced analytics tools, analysis that used to take days to run, we can now see in real time. and we're building what we learn back into the cloud to make people and organizations safer. when it comes to the cloud, trust and security are paramount. our passion is making life tougher for cyber criminals,
5:33 pm
and making it safer for you and your customers. personal story segment tonight. donald trump and every other republican contender for the presidency will need to get about half of all-american women to vote for them. joining us now from new york city, eboni williams and monica crowley. monica, you know with hillary clinton, if she gets the nomination and she should unless she is indicted running as well i'm going to be the first woman president and it's going to break glass ceiling and all of that women voters become very, very important. i'm just wondering whether the way donald trump is handling controversy as the way we are talking about it tonight would hurt or help' with women in your opinion. >> you know, when you have looked at polling on donald trump so far, his numbers with women have been all over the place. but i think what he is projecting, even in this controversy with fox news, he continues to project
5:34 pm
strength and leadership. and i'm not one who plays the women's issues games. i think that's how the left has defined issues for many decades. i think a lot of women refuse to play that game. what they want is a leader. i think american issues are women's issues. i think whener it comes in terms of trump, i think if he locks up the nomination, i don't expect that he is going to have a real problem with women. >> ebony do you think what's happening now with the controversy will, number one, last and people forget about it next week and how will it effect the women vote. >> bill, i can't help but watch that interview which i think you did enormous favor when talking about all the incentives and benefits he would gain from showing up. i think he will strongly consider it based on that. my quarterback cam newton has this thing he says if they don't make band-aids for hurt feelings. it kind of reminds me a bit what we are seeing from mr. trump. i understand he took issues debate. this is a new opportunity he was very brilliant in the recent fox business debate
5:35 pm
where he talked about 9/11 and really ensured that vision of what american values and new york city values and presidential moment coming from donald trump who many times says and run with it and really grow on that moment in the next debate. >> okay. but with the woman running for president hillary clinton, women see things different than men. ebony. the macho that trump sends kick butt and make good deals. men, you know, okay. but some women go that might be a little bit too -- and i don't want to be condescending here. it's hard to generalize but you know what i'm talking about here. >> i think you are wrong, bill. here is why. for me my women's issue is not about my uterus. what it's about is about money. i had a single mother and many women in country are about economics. believe it or not, bill, donald trump has the best narrative around that he gets to point to the women that he put in charge of the construction of trump tower. he can point to the women he
5:36 pm
put as v.p. of his institution which is a good old boy's club. we will see if he is the guy who can crack a quote unquote i don't believe in a glass ceiling. let women graduating from college more than men but not working in that capacity. >> but if he continues in this style vein, monica. he is going to go after hillary clinton. he already has. i don't know how that's going to be accept ised by women voters were on the fence. on the fence women voters. >> this whole delineation between male voters and women voters not going to work this time. >> is he differential. he is unapologetic. he is defiant. women aren't necessarily going to vote in traditional ways just as the rest of this race is not traditional. whether it's hillary clinton, it's the nominee or not. and actually, bill, when you look at hillary's numbers, what you see across the
5:37 pm
board on women but particularly with younger women voters, millennial women, they don't respond to her. they can't relate to her. they don't particularly like her. so all of the usual, strains that we have seen with voters in the past, men, women, blacks, whites, la teens or others. all that goes out the window. donald trump is exploiting that brilliantly. he came in to smash up the existing order and that's exactly what he's doing. >> ladies, thank you. when we come rightí+d3z from l.a., dr. ben carson enters the no spin zone. he had henry on how the democrats are processing one donald trump. we will be right back. rush liquid fast relief to your tough cold symptoms. and they outsell mucinex liquid gels 2 to 1. alka seltzer plus liquid gels.
5:38 pm
[so i use quickbooks and run mye entire business from the cloud. i keep an eye on sales and expenses from anywhere. even down here in the dark i can still see we're having a great month. and celebrate accordingly. i run on quickbooks.that's how i own it.
5:39 pm
5:40 pm
you know the symptoms when they start. abdominal pain. urgent diarrhea. now there's prescription xifaxan. xifaxan is a new ibs-d treatment that helps relieve your diarrhea and abdominal pain symptoms. and xifaxan works differently. it's a prescription antibiotic that acts mainly in the digestive tract. do not use xifaxan if you have a history of sensitivity to rifaximin, rifamycin antibiotic agents, or any components of xifaxan. tell your doctor right away if your diarrhea worsens while taking xifaxan, as this may be a sign of a serious or even fatal condition. tell your doctor if you have liver disease or are taking other medications, because these may increase the amount of xifaxan in your body. tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are nursing.
5:41 pm
the most common side effects are nausea and an increase in liver enzymes. if you think you have ibs with diarrhea, talk to your doctor about new xifaxan. thanks for staying with us, i'm bill o'reilly in the campaign 2016 segment tonight, let's bring in one of the debater who's will be on stage tomorrow night. dr. ben carson joins us from west des moines. what do you think about all this debate controversy? does it help you, doctor? >> well, i don't know that it helps anybody, certainly doesn't help the american people as you pointed out o. they need to know who the candidates are. and whether you've been treating unfairly or not is really relatively
5:42 pm
irrelevant. i have certainly been treated unfairly with all these lies that have all been disproven but, nevertheless, you know, that goes with the territory. this prepares you for the white house because it's going to be even worse than that. so, right now, what we have to concentrate on is making sure that the american people have a good menu of items to look at. in determining who they should select as their commander and chief. >> all right. that's reasonable. now, do you believe in general the press has been fair to you? i know you have taken some hits from the left wing press. but you just expect that. but just overall do you think you've been reported on in an accurate way? >> overall i would say no. i mean, you look at the attacks about my yale course about west point. about7 all of which have been disproven. but did the press ever come back and say oh, well, we found this and that was not true. of course not.
5:43 pm
their narrative is that this guy is somebody that you can't trust. they want to keep that out there. recognizing that mosth-9÷ people won't go to page 26 and see what the actual deal. >> the correction, right. >> but, that's to be expected because that's what's happened to our press. you know, the press is the only business that's protected by our constitution. the reason is because they were supposed to be on the side of the people and they were supposed to be objective. by taking sides they have completely distorted the original intent. >> i agree 100 percent. i think that's great analysis. but another person in your position might say this is a race deal on black and that's why not being represented accurately. would you do that? do you feel that way? >> no. i don't think it has anything to do with that, other than the fact that when you're black you are not supposed to be conservative. you are not supposed to be a republican and there are many people who, you know,
5:44 pm
run with that narrative and try to attack you if, in fact, that's the case. i think that's a very racist attitude. i think it's manifested very frequently on the progressive side. if you're black, you are supposed to think a certain way. if you don't, you are an uncle tom. why isn't it true that if you're white you have to think a certain way? >> oh, it is. >> if they stopped and thought about it they would see that's very racist. >> some people are going to come after you. it's not a skin color issue it's ideological issue. in iowa next monday, this is kind of do or die for you. you have to have a good showing. am i wrong in saying that? >> probably. but it doesn't matter. because we are going to have a good showing. so it's irrelevant. we are having good showings all over. we are speaking to a lot of the people.
5:45 pm
a lot of people are changing their minds. i think all of you guys, maybe not you. i don't know what you think are going to be quite surprised next monday night. >> okay. and that is a good optimistic view to take. but, we always have to prepare for the worst, i mean those of us who know what life is all about. and if you don't do well, are you prepared to carry on? >> well, let me put it this way, bill. you know, this was not something that was on my bucket list. and all the pundits said it was impossible. and, you know, that comforted me because i didn't particularly want to do it. once i made that decision, i said, lord, if you want me to do this, open the doors and if you open the doors, i will walk through. and if you close the doors, i will sit down. and i keep my eyes open to look for open and closed doors. >> all right, doc. it's always great to talk to you. and good luck tomorrow on the debate. he had henry on deck. how are hillary clinton and
5:46 pm
bernie sanders processing the trump situation? then more madness on college campuses. you are not going to believe. i know i say that but this time you are not going to believe what we're about to tell you. up ahead.
5:47 pm
5:48 pm
5:49 pm
back of the book segment tonight. you can bet hillary clinton and bernie sanders are watching the trump situation. senator sanders also met today with president obama at the white house. joining us now is ed henry. first, what's the dish about trump in democratic circles? >> hillary clinton had an event at a bowling alley here in iowa, and she wouldn't answer me. i asked her twice to react to trump bailing on the debate, at least short-term. we'll see if he reconsiders
5:50 pm
after talking to you. but she wouldn't bite. i think that's because she focused right now about just having a laser like focus on iowa. she's now in some polls falling behind bernie sanders and she wants to show she's trying to get the ground game out. but if trump doesn't attend, you can bet she'll weigh in this weekend. out here on the stuff, she is constantly going after donald trump. it's her way in part of showing democrats on the ground that she believes she'll be the nominee and she's likely to face trump and she's ready to take him on head-on. >> that's why i was surprised that she didn't answer your question. but i don't think she likes you, henry. it might be the pocket hanky. oh, he's going to ask me a pain in the butt question, i know this guy. you know how i know? because that's how they all feel about me. >> that's right. if they like you, you're not doing your job.
5:51 pm
>> right. bernie sanders, he doesn't say too much about trump, other than i'll take all his stuff and money and buildings, right? >> right. he started talking about trump in the last couple of days. i noticed this as a shift. bernie sanders is trying to do something different than hillary clinton. he's trying to convince democrats that he can be a credible general election nominee, that he's not too far left. as you say, it might be a high mountain to climb, but he's trying to say there are some head-to-head matchups in some of these polls that suggest sanders would get such a turnout from the left he could beat trump. donald trump and a lot of other republicans think that's not true. but sanders has been more aggressive about saying, my friend, donald trump, sarcastically, and then attacking him about what he said about mexicans or muslims and suggesting look, i'm dying to take him on. so you're right, before sanders had not gone after trump. i think i'm seeing a shift, because he's trying to show democrats that i can do this.
5:52 pm
not a lot of people have believed sanders until now. >> what was he doing at the white house with the president? what was the barn burner doing? >> in talking to sanders' a advisers, the president had a series of lunches with hillary clinton, they've been talking on the phone, gushing words from the president on politico where he was saying she's smart and tough and keeps saying to the president he won't edndorse anybody, but they felt that was all but an endorsement. so there was some conversation between the president's aides and sanders and they put this together. the president wanted to reassure him that he's not picking sides. and barack obama won in large part because he shocked the world in iowa with a dramatic turnout. sanders last night had 20,000 people in minnesota, two events total, 20,000 people. not quite what donald trump gets
5:53 pm
but a lot more than hillary clinton gets. so he's getting obama-style crowds. and i think that getting the sort of papal blessing from the president, bernie sanders saying look, i'm the guy who will carry on the obama legacy. he desperately wants that a few days before the caucuses. >> ed, we appreciate it. "factor tip of the day," more madness on a major college campus. this one simply stunning. "the tip" moments away. get fast-acting, long-lasting relief from heartburn with it neutralizes stomach acid and is the only product that forms a protective barrier that helps keep stomach acid in the stomach where it belongs. for fast-acting, long-lasting relief. try gaviscon®. for fast-acting, long-lasting relief. you found the love of your dand together, you had the kid of your dreams. now you can put them in the car of your dreams... for a lot less than you might think. with a certified pre-owned mercedes-benz, you can enjoy legendary safety, innovation and performance at a price you can afford.
tv-commercial
5:54 pm
and that's a pretty sweet dream. visit the certified pre-owned sales event, now through february 29th. only at your authorized dealer. mercedes-benz. the best or nothing. then, a brutal act of teterror here at home.. it's time for a tested and proven leader who won't try to contain isis. jeb bush has a plan... to destroy them. and keep america safe. jeb bush: the united states should not delay in leading a global coalition
5:55 pm
to take out isis with overwhelming force. announcer: tested and proven leadership matters. jeb bush. right to rise usa is responsible for the content of this message. if you have high blood pressure many cold medicines may raise your blood pressure. that's why there's coricidin® hbp. it relieves cold symptoms without raising blood pressure. so look for powerful cold medicine with a heart. coricidin® hbp. "factor tip of the day," another college campus may be out of control, in a moment. but first, the mail. >> look, mike, if you're rooting for somebody, you're never going to think they've been treated fairly unless the reporter is rooting for them like you. and we don't do that.
5:56 pm
>> let me get this straight, don. you don't believe the president has power over you? the man who can appoint supreme court justices, who can send troops to fight enemies overseas, write executive orders changing things that you might support? come on, man. >> excellent question, jared. it takes discipline to present facts rather than emotional feelings to a mass audience. i've been doing this a long time, and i practice that discipline.
5:57 pm
>> "the factor" is investigating the cbs news report. we're out on a line for a lot of people. we're not going to make any mistakes. we should have something for you next week. >> first, i should have mentioned, rand, that planned parenthood was not charged, and that's a good pickup. second, grand juries do not acquit. they simply bring charges or not. but thanks for pointing it out.
5:58 pm
>> because it's not a policy book, sharon. come on! it's a personal book about ronald reagan. we don't delve into all these policy matters. because other books have done that. but i'm glad you liked the show with miller. and i want to alert everybody in los angeles and in fairfax, virginia, that miller and i will be visiting you shortly. details on billo'reilly.com. finally, "factor tip of the day," there's political correctness happening on college campuses across the country. at the university of oregon, a plaque of the martin luther king, jr. >> an amazing sentiment, correct? well, some student morons want
5:59 pm
to take the plaque down because, wait for it, it only deals with race and not gender diversity. so far university of oregon has resisted this display of fascism. but anything could happen. somewhere the ducks are weeping. "factor tip of the day." that is it for us tonight. check out the website, different from billo'reilly.com. also, we would like you to spout off about "the factor," o'reilly at&t foxnews.com. word of the day, do not been morose when writing to "the factor." tomorrow, a huge reaction to the trump situation. so i'm going to read a bunch of your letters and read a bunch of the press reports on it. then we'll set up the debate in iowa on thursday night. we're going to set it up, we've got a bunch of people coming in, krauthammer, the usuals, and
6:00 pm
it's going to be a program well worth watching. again, thanks for watching us tonight. ms. megyn is next. i'm bill o'reilly. please remember, the spin stops here because we're looking out for you. breaking tonight, in exactly 24 hours, the seven republicans will take the stage right here behind me in iowa to interview for the job of president of the united states. but for the past 24 hours, america's media has been almost completely focused on a related story, but not necessarily the story. one candidate who says he will not be here. welcome to "the kelly file," everyone. i'm megyn kelly, reporting live tonight from des moines, iowa. it does appear donald trump is declining his last chance to speak to as many iowans as possible and to the country at large. instead of being here tomorrow night taking the tough questions from the moderators, he

80 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on