Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX News  February 28, 2016 11:00pm-12:01am PST

11:00 pm
preempted her. nobody was watching. kennedy, jedidiah, katherine, bill o'reilly i am greg gutfel ago. >> it was 66 degrees. >> only in texas you fight say. "fox news sunday" is next. i'm chris wallace, as we head to super tuesday, the biggest voting day of the republican campaign, we'll sit down with donald trump, ted cruz and marco rubio on "fox news sunday." >> trump gets a big endorsement. >> the best person to beat hillary clinton is undoubtedly donald trump. >> donald trump joins us live to explain how he intends to cement his standing as the front-runner. marco rubio and ted cruz finally team up. >> donald, relax. relax. >> i'm relaxed. >> you're a basket case. >> there's a statute of limitation on lies. >> we'll talk live with senator cruz who has more riding on super tuesday than any other
11:01 pm
candidate as he defends his home state of texas. and marco rubio as he launches an all out attack against trump. >> we have a con artist as a front-runner in the republican party. >> plus, we'll ask our sunday panel what they'll be looking for as voters go to the polls in a dozen states across the country. all right now on "fox news sunday." >> hello again from fox news in washington. well, we begin with the results from last night's democratic primary in south carolina and landslide doesn't do justice to what hillary clinton did there. clinton got 73% of the vote to bernie sanders' 26%. we'll have a live report of the democratic race later in the hour. but first, the battle for the republican nomination heading into super tuesday. donald trump coming off three consecutive wins is set for a showdown with ted cruz and the senator's home state of texas. the biggest prize so far with 155 delegates.
11:02 pm
and that's just one of 11 states going to the polls with a total of 595 delegates, almost half of what's needed to win the nomination. with the stakes rising, the three front-runners escalated their attacks, and we'll talk to all of them today. joining us first here now live is the front-runner, donald trump. welcome back to "fox news sunday." >> thank you. >> let's get right to it. marco rubio says that you are a "con artist." here he is. >> i think it's time to take the mask off of this guy. i mean, he's a guy that portrays himself as a defender of the little guy in this country.expl americans for 40 years. >> mr. trump, your response and what do you think of marco rubio? >> well, i think he's a light weight. he couldn't get elected dog catcher. if he goes back to florida, he's going lose big time. he is not liked in florida.
11:03 pm
he abandoned florida. he deceived and defrauded florida. he doesn't even show up to meetings. i think he's a guy who thinks he's -- i don't think he actually does even think he's hot stuff. he's not hot stuff. but he is, you know, i call him little marco. that's what he s little marco. but he's very nasty guy. so is ted cruz, by the way. they're nasty. they teamed up. i saw them shaking hands before saying, let's go, let's go, see if we can get them. they're establishment guys. and as far as, you know, the con man, that is very insulting. you know my career. i built an unbelievable company. by the way, i filed with the fcc almost the -- the federal elections, almost 100 pages of financials that show worth of if i ever sold it over $10 billion. that's what i built. i had number one best sellers including "the art of the deal" which is the number one, probably the number one best selling business book of all time. "the apprentice" is one of the top shows on television. when you think of that as being a con man, i don't think so. >> i stipulate you've been a very successful --
11:04 pm
>> you talk about con man, i think he's a con man. >> i stipulate that you've been very successful businessman. let's go through the specific allegations that rubio raised about you. he says that you hired 200 illegal immigrants from poland back in the early '80s to clear the site for the trump tower. the fact is that the so-called polish brigade did work on that project. >> so let me just tell you how sad that is that he comes up. that is was more than 35 years ago. so can you imagine with all i've done, i built buildings all over the world, i built massive buildings in new york, massive jobs, city on the west side of manhattan, he comes up with a thing from 35 years. >> but they were -- >> chris, chris, chris, they were hired by a contractor. i hired a contractor. i hired a contractor for demolition. he had polish workers in his force among others, by the way, he had polish workers in his
11:05 pm
force. that's all it is. i hired -- 35 years ago. and by the way, the laws were totally different 35 years ago. but 35 years ago i hired a demolition contractor to knock down a building that made way for trump tower and can you imagine they bring that up from so many years ago. >> by the way -- >> different laws and i didn't hire the polish workers, chris. he hired the polish workers. >> let me ask you about that. some of the workers were sleeping at the site because they were illegal immigrants and they were pulling 12 hour shifts. are you saying you didn't know any of that? >> in construction, many, many people sleep on the site. even now they sleep on sites because they save -- contractors save money by doing that. and you're not supposed to do it. but contractors all over the city and all over many other cities, they sleep right on the site. that's a fairly common practice. and it happens. and it happens with many, many contractors. now, just so you understand, i hired a contractor. the contractor came in with people. some of his people were polish. some of them came from -- but i
11:06 pm
didn't have control over that. you didn't have e-verify in those days like i do now where i'm building a building as an example, the old post office on pennsylvania avenue. i have e-verify. everything is perfect -- even though "washington post" said maybe it's not perfect, but everything is absolutely perfect. >> let me talk about a subject -- force. >> this little marco, 35 years ago i built a building and 35 years ago that's the best they can do. that's pretty sad. >> let me get something else which is a lot more current and he is hitting you on trump university, a program that you helped set up that you said to share your real estate knowledge and so you could help people invest, a super pac is running this ad. take a look. >> all of it was just a fake. americans do not make the same mistake i about with donald trump. i got hurt badly. i'd hate to see this country get hurt by donald trump. >> now, trump university
11:07 pm
ads promised that these instructors on your real estate genius would be handpicked by you, but in fact, the story is that a lot of them were picked just so they could get people to sign up. and one of them was a manager from a buffalo wild wings. so did you hand pick the instructors or not? >> okay. many of them we were hand picked and i hand picked our people. and the people i think did a good job. and they ran a good school. and i'll tell you about the school. it had an "a" rating from the better business bureau and the people that i think you even have on there have given a great report card. just about everybody that took the course, almost everybody signed a document and they rated the school. they rated the course, what they learned, was it good? not a huge amount of money if they didn't pay a huge amount of money. but what happened is -- >> wait. some of them paid $35,000. >> wait. >> wait, wait, some paid $35,000. that's a lot of money. >> chris, 98% of the people that took the courses, we have report
11:08 pm
cards from everybody. they report carded on the course. 98% of the people that took the courses, 98% approved the courses they thought they were terrific. now just so you understand, i could have settled this case a long time ago. i chose not to. i'm going to win the case in court because i do that. i win cases in court. it's a lawsuit. >> let me ask you about that. because this week -- this weekend -- >> i'm not a settler. you know what, chris, i don't believe in settling cases. i believe in winning cases. >> you went after the judge in one of the trump university lawsuits. here you are. >> right. >> there is hostility toward me by the judge, tremendous hostility, beyond belief. i believe he happens to be spanish which is fine. he is hispanic which is fine. and we haven't asked for recusal which we may do. but we have a judge that is very hostile. >> the attorney general of new york after those remarks accused you of racial demagoguery
11:09 pm
mentioning the fact that he's hispanic. >> i think the judge has been extremely hostile to me. i think it has to do with perhaps the fact that i'm very, very strong on the border. very, very strong on the border. he has been extremely hostile to me. this is a case that in our opinion should have been won a long time ago. it's a case we should have won on summary judgment. we're nothing with this. we have a very hostile judge. now, he is hispanic, i believe. he is a very hostile judge to me. i said it loud and clear. now, the attorney general -- >> why even bring up that he's hispanic? it does raise a question. >> because you always bring it up, chris, because you always say how the hispanics don't like donald trump. you always bring it up in your poll numbers. you say that hispanics don't like donald trump. >> i don't think i ever brought that up. i don't think i ever brought it up. >> okay, well, you --
11:10 pm
>> but the campaign -- you're can't pin this one on me. >> chris -- will trump do well with the hispanics? in nevada i got 46%. i won with the hispanics. that's very good. i can tell you, it's a very hostile judge. this is a judge that in my opinion does not like donald trump. >> let's talk about the tax returns. because both cruz and rubio released -- they didn't release all of the tax returns, they released part of the tax returns. but you're refusing to release any of your tax returns. back in 2012 when you were flirting with running for president, you said releasing your tax returns would be "a great thing to show how successful you are. i know you said you're under audit. you can still release them. you have three questions which you can answer without releasing a ballpark figure, 2014, the returns that you have already filed under penalty of perjury, what was ballpark, what was your gross income? what was your effective tax rate, and how much did you give to charity?
11:11 pm
>> okay, chris first of all, let me just tell you something, as you know, i have filed, you know, unbelievable voluminous documents as to my net worth and as to the company i built, almost 100 pages with the federal elections commission. you know that's been filed, right? >> i do know. >> you talk about net worth. you don't know that? >> no, i think i do know that. >> i filed with -- yeah. i filed voluminous as to my net worth and values. by the way, people in your profession were unbelievably impressed with the company i built. all right. that has to do with net worth. you can't learn anything from tax returns without net worth or any of that. the tax returns have been audited. i've been audited for many, many years. it is very, very unfair. i don't know why but for some reason the irs audits me virtually every year. >> can you tell me what the gross income is?
11:12 pm
>> i've been singled out. >> you can tell us what your effective tax rate is for 2014? can you tell us what your effective tax rate is and how much did you give to charity? >> go down to the federal elections commission and take out my financial disclosure forms. by the way, when you talk about cruz, he didn't put on that he's borrowing money from banks all over the place, but he borrowed a lot of money from banks at a very low interest rate, an interest rate you could not get. believe me, he could never get it. he borrowed from goldman sachs and citi bank. he didn't put that down in his financial disclosure form. and i put down over 100 pages of investments and deals and everything else. i have full disclosure. he didn't disclose. he had a million dollars worth of loans at low interest rate. as far as taxes are concerned -- >> i've got two more questions i've got to ask you, okay? i've got two minutes. so let's try to get these both in. you raised a new issue on friday.
11:13 pm
you want to change the libel laws to make it easier to sue. here you are, sir. >> whether they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money. we're going to open up those libel laws. >> is that really the kind of president you will be if you don't like an article you're going to sue a newspaper or a network and tie them up in litigation? and, by the way, the supreme court has ruled on this to open up the libel laws to make it easier to sue us, for instance, you're going have to win them the constitution. >> well, in england, i can tell you it's very much different and very much easier. i think it's very unfair when "the new york times" can write a story that they know is false, that they virtually tell me they know it's false and i say why don't you pull the story and they say we're not going to do. that because they can't basically be sued. you can't be sued because can you say anything you want and that's not fair. all i want is fairness. so i would absolutely work to open up the libel laws so that
11:14 pm
if you write something wrong, i want everybody to write whatever they want to write, but if you write something that is wrong, at least knowing ly wrong but wrong, a person like me and other people can bring lawsuits to have it corrected and to get damages. >> all right. finally, i got about a minute left. actually, i'm over time. what the heck. do you expect to lock up the nomination with your performance on super tuesday, effectively lock up the nomination? and this week you won endorsements from chris christie and maine governor paul lepage. kevin mccarthy says he can work with you. are you becoming a captive of the establishment or is the establishment surrendering to donald trump? >> well, we're doing very well. i expect to do well on tuesday. i hope, i mean, i tell you, we're going to have 25,000 people node alabama. we have 15,000 yet today in tennessee. we had a tremendous amount of people, probably 15,000 in arkansas in an airport hangar.
11:15 pm
airport hangar. it's been amazing. we have a movement going, chris. it is something really special. having paul's endorsement and chris christie and sarah palin and sheriff joe arpaio from arizona who is the king of the borders, when he endorses you, that means you have the best border plan, no question about that. jerry fallwell jr., i'm winning with evangelicals. we are beating everybody with the evangelicals. i love the evangelicals. we're winning with the military. we're winning with the vets. we're really winning with everybody. and i have am really thrilled. i think we'll do well on tuesday. we're going beat out the establishment. the establishment is disgraceful. little marco is doing not so well in florida. he's down about 20 points. and the people in florida can't stand him. he couldn't be a dog catcher in florida. >> i think we already heard that, mr. trump. thank you for answering all of our questions. thank you for your time, sir. we'll see you at the fox debate thursday in detroit. >> thank you. thank you very much. >> we'll talk with marco rubio
11:16 pm
in a few minutes. but next, senator ted cruz live on whether texas is do or die for his campaign. i tried depend last weekend. it really made the difference between a morning around the house and getting a little exercise. only depend underwear has new confidence core technology for fast absorption and the smooth, comfortable fit of fit-flex™ protection. get a coupon at depend.com
11:17 pm
11:18 pm
11:19 pm
a look outside the beltway at the texas state capitol in austin. senator ted cruz has told supporters this super tuesday will be the most important night of the campaign. his home state of texas is the biggest prize in a must-win for the senator. ted cruz is live now in springdale, arkansas. senator, welcome back. >> good morning, chris. good to be with you. >> senator, you used to say that you viewed super tuesday and
11:20 pm
especially the races in the so-called sec primary as a fire wall for your campaign. but according to the latest polls, the only states you're leading in are arkansas and your home state of texas. if you don't win in the south on super tuesday, aren't you in big trouble? >> well, chris, what we've seen in these primaries, the first four states have narrowed the field. we started with 17 candidates. it's much, much more narrow. super tuesday will continue to do. you know, 65% of republican primary voters don't think donald trump is the right candidate to go head to head with hillary clinton. he agrees with her on too many issues and he's too vulnerable to lose in the general election. the only candidate that has beaten donald trump, the only candidate that can beat donald trump is our campaign. and so on super tuesday, i hope and believe that conservatives will continue to coalesce behind our campaign because if you're one of those 65% of republicans that doesn't want to see donald
11:21 pm
trump as our nominee, doesn't want to see a blowout in november, then i ask you to come support us and stand with us because that's the only way to stop that battle, is to stand together behind our campaign on super tuesday. >> but there are some problems in terms of your support. you're running as a social conservative and as a political outsider. but i want to put up some, i would think, troubling numbers from you from the south carolina exit polls. trump beat you among evangelicals, self-described evangelicals, 34% to 26%. and among voters who say they want the next president to be from "outside the political establishment," they went for trump 63% to 13%. question, isn't donald trump beating you, senator, at your own game? >> well, you know, a primary is an extended conversation. and donald trump told us many, many times in his own words, he said seven months ago he was a member of the establishment. you know, we saw the debates
11:22 pm
this past week where donald laid out he is a washington dealmaker. and it is washington deals that have bankrupted this country. if you want more washington deals, donald trump is your guy. that's why harry reid said donald trump was his favorite republican because harry reed said donald will cut deals with us. we can work with him. we saw it in the debate. when donald trump took me on and said, listen, ted, you have to be willing to compromise on the supreme court. you have to be willing to compromise on religious liberty let me tell you if you're at home, i give you my word as president i won't compromise away your religious liberty rights. i won't compromise away your second amendment rights. donald trump is telling us he's going to sit down with harry reid and chuck schumer and give away justice scalia's supreme court seat and that means your second amendment rights are in jeopardy. and it's worth remembering, chris, donald trump is someone who supported bill clinton's national ban on firearms for some of the most popular guns in america. i think we need a president who
11:23 pm
doesn't cut deals with democrats to give away our rights but rather stands with the working men and women of this country. >> all right. >> i want to pick up on this question of the supreme court. one of your big issues, one of your pitches to voters is you say that you are a consistent conservative and that you would appoint a strong conservative to the court to replace justice antonin scalia. you also say that george w. bush made a mistake when he named john roberts to the court back in 2005. take a look. >> i wouldn't have nominated john roberts. indeed, governor bush pointed out why. it wasn't that the president bushes wanted to appoint a liberal to the court. he said it was the easier choice. >> but, senator, that's not what you said when, in fact, roberts was nominated to the court back in 2005. i want to put up an article, a big article you wrote with the title "the right stuff". this is in 2005.
11:24 pm
roberts nominated into the court. you wrote, "john roberts should be a quick confirm. as a jurist, judge roberts' approach will be of that his entire career, carefully, faithfully applying the constitution and legal precedent." this was a long article, sir, that you wrote for the national review and you certainly seemed at the time, i know you said you wouldn't have nominated him, you seemed to be an enthusiastic supporter of john roberts. >> well, chris, it's true. once george w. bush nominated john robert, i supported the republican president in his nomination. that was a mistake. in hindsight, that was a mistake. i would have nominated mike ludic, my former boss on the court of appeals. he was a proven conservative who had decades on the court defending conservative principles. and the difference was too many republican presidents aren't willing to spend the capital to nominate and confirm a principled conservative. i have spent my entire life fighting to defend the constitution and bill of rights
11:25 pm
and when it comes to the supreme court, i will invest every bit of political capital to ensure that the bill of rights is there for the next generation. >> but, sir, when you wrote in that article that john roberts would "carefully and faithfulfully apply the constitution and legal precedent," is sounds like you're falling in line with george bush's nomination. you didn't have to write that article. you did. >> it is correct. i supported the republican nominee. it's interesting, chris. i notice you didn't ask donald trump about his saying his sister who is a liberal radical pro abortion clinton appointee would make a phenomenal supreme court justice. when it comes to supreme court justices, donald has told us in the last debate, he's going to cut deals. let me give you another example. we saw in the last debate on immigration, when i was leading the fight against the rubio-schumer gang of eight amnesty bill and together with millions of americans we defeated amnesty, donald was funding the gang of eight. he gave over $50,000 to five
11:26 pm
members of the gang of eight. if you had spent -- >> didn't he also give money you to you, sir? >> he supported open border democrats. you cannot claim you're tough on illegal immigration. >> i'm sorry? >> didn't he also give money to you? >> $1,000 to my leadership pac which he tosses around like candy. listen, he supported open border democrats for decades. he supported jimmy carter over ronald reagan, he supported john kerry over george w. bush, he contributed to hillary clinton, to chuck schumer. this is a man, anyone who supports radical liberals like those does not care about conservative supreme court justices, does not care about the second amendment and doesn't care about securing the border, because those are the open border advocates who led the gang of eight. and indeed, you know, what's striking after the debate,
11:27 pm
chris, donald went on cnn and talking about his hotel in florida and they bring in foreign workers and they won't hire americans. he said you can't find americans to work as waiters and waitresses. how utterly ridiculous. there are hundreds of americans that want to work in a swanky hotel in palm beach. >> your campaign is involved in a series of incidents that people are calling dirty tricks i want to put up a list. in i, was the cruz campaign sent out tweets saying ben carson was suspending his campaign. that was false. the campaign put out flyers accusing people of voting violations. that was false. in south carolina, a cruz super pac attacked trump over the confederate flag and your then communications director posted a link this week accusing rubio of disrespecting the bible. that was false. question, do you take personal responsibility -- this is your campaign except for the super pac, do you take personal responsibility for this series of incidents? what does it say about the culture of the campaign you're
11:28 pm
running? >> chris, every accusation you raised there is incorrect. i appreciate your reading the donald trump attack file on that. >> come on, sir. wait a minute. wait a minute, sir. you personally apologized to ben carson on a debate stage. you fired your communications director. don't say this is a false file on our part, sir. >> chris, please don't interrupt me. >> well, please don't say -- accuse me of something i didn't do. let me know whether i'm allowed to answer. >> don't accuse me of something i didn't do. two of those things you apologized for one and fired your communications director. don't say this is the opo file. >> our campaign of the gik has the highest level of integrity when others engaged in personal attacks and insults. we don't respond in kind. what is striking, you just had donald trump on the air. you didn't ask about the fact that he sent out a fabricated
11:29 pm
quote from tom coburn impugning my integrity. you didn't ask donald trump about the robo calls that went out from a white supremacist group supporting donald trump telling people do not vote for a cuban, vote for donald trump. you know, when it comes to telling the truth and not telling the truth, you didn't ask donald trump about the fact that in the last debate i asked him true or false, you support socialized medicine, the government paying for your health care. he said false and it's directly contrary to what he said for 20 years on the record. listen, chris, the facts matter. i understand that there are folks that don't want to focus on the facts. but, listen, the voters care about the truth. they care about donald trump's record of giving -- >> senator cruz, we're flat out of time. first of all, i don't think anybody is going to think i did an easy interview with donald trump. i asked him about plenty of things. you'll get an opportunity to
11:30 pm
ask him questions on the fox debate on thursday. thank you for making time on this very busy weekend, sir. up next, senator marco rubio on his new strategy of open warfare against donald trump. is it too late? [beekeeper] from bees to business expenses,
11:31 pm
11:32 pm
11:33 pm
i'm in charge of it all. so i've been snapping photos of my receipts and keeping track of them in quickbooks. now i'm on top of my expenses, and my bees. best 68,000 employees ever. that's how we own it. this week donald trump called marco rubio among other
11:34 pm
things, a basket case, a lightweight, a choke artist and yes, as we heard today, little mar marco. and he was just returning fire after rubio launched a barrage of attacks against him. i spoke with rubio saturday in birmingham, alabama, to discuss his new strategy. >> i want to start with a question that a lot of people are asking, why did you wait so long to go after donald trump? i got to assume that all of this stuff was in your research files. wasn't it a big miscalculation to wait until he got into such a strong position? >> no, that's a legitimate and important question. and a couple points, one is we were being attacked by a bunch of other people during this race. we were responding to that. and the other is, i really believe that voters would see through this conjob that he's trying to do, and obviously, that hasn't happened. he's convinced a lot of people. now we have to address it. i believe a first-rate con artist is on the verge of taking over the part of lincoln and reagan and now or never we need to remind people of what is at stake here. we're about to lose the conservative movement to someone
11:35 pm
who is not a conservative and the party of lincoln and rage ton a con artist. >> at a rally this weekend, trump said that he may ask the judge in the trump university case who he mentioned is hispanic to recuse himself because he is so hostile. your reaction to that? >> well, i thought trump said he was going to win the hispanic vote. he said he was so popular among the latinos. so, he should actually want to keep him on the case if that's true. this is pat of the conact. this is what happens when someone is caught like donald trump has been as a con artist. this is a guy who went to people trying to improve their lives and convince them to go into this program. they paid thousands of dollars and got nothing for it. now he's truing to pull the ultimate con job and that is get ahold of the united states of america and he's gone to all the struggling americans who are really hurting economically, and he's preying upon those fears and those anxieties that they have to get them to give him the
11:36 pm
vote, and he's been successful. this has to end. we cannot allow this guy to become the republican nominee, the democrats will tear him to shreds and we're going to lose the party in the conserve ative movement in the election. and that means america is going to stay on the road. it's right now which is the road of decline. >> all right, trump fired back at new the debate while you were firing at him. he talked about your finances. here he is. >> i hired tens of thousands of people with jobs. >> you hired thousands of people. >> you have nothing but problems with your credit cards, et cetera. >> the facts are you used a republican party credit card to charge personal expenses. you faced foreclosure on a second home that you bought. and last year you cashed out a $68,000 retirement fund. senator, if trump's history is fair game, isn't yours? >> yeah. and mine has been examined. the thing about the republican party is false. i paid american express directly for all of that. but this is what's true. i did not inherit millions of dollars from my father. i had to -- i earned everything i've had in life. i've had to work hard for it. i'm not a rich person, i'm not
11:37 pm
poor but i'm not rich. that's fine. this is a great country. because i live a life much better than my parents did. donald, on the other hand has lived a pampered life. he inherited millions of dollars from his father. there's nothing wrong with that. but he portrayed him as this great businessman. if he had taken that money that he inherited and put night an index fund on the stock market, he would have more money than warren buffett does right now. but did he all the risky ventures and lost a bunch of money and every time he lost money, subcontractors and the little guy got hit hard by it. donald trump has a history of business failures, four companies into bankruptcy which he denied you to, chris, at the first debate, if you recall. but now he's portraying himself as this great leader that is going to turn the american economy around? if donald trump is president, he's not going to make america great. he's going to make america broke like he did those four companies. >> all right, let's talk about -- >> how do you bankrupt a casino? >> let's talk about your record. this week at a nevada
11:38 pm
congressman hardman endorsed you. like rick santorum, he had some trouble listing any accomplishment of you during your time in the senate. here he is. >> is there one thing can you name over the last year that you've seen firsthand on the hill that he has done to demonstrate presidential character, to be able to get things done? >> on the hill, i have not seen that, he's been running for a presidential race most of this year. >> senator, why can't officials who support you, who come out to endorse you, name a specific accomplishment of your time in the senate? >> well, in fairness, they're signing up at the last second. they're inspired by our message. they want to be part of our team. we haven't provided them all the information. i'm more than happy to tell you about my record. >> maybe you ought to start doing that. >> we passed sanctions -- well, we are. we do. but if you can't make people read something, these are last minute things. it's not fair to them. here's the bottom line. i'm more than happy to talk about our record. i mean, number one, i worked in a senate where four of the last five years, nothing happened because of harry reid.
11:39 pm
. and yet, despite that, i actually worked with bernie sanders who i don't agree with on anything. we were able to work together to bring va accountability. can you now fire senior executives at the va because of my work. there are now additional sanctions on hezbollah because i got the senate to pass that unanimously by the way. we passed the girl's account act that goes after human trafficking by leveraging foreign aid from the united states government to ensure that all kids around the world are getting birth certificates so they don't fall prey to modern day slavery. we lead the effort to deal with the obama care bailout fund. before anyone was talking about that. we were out there leading the effort on that. and today, the obamacare bailout fund is gone. we helped them impose sanctions on human rights violators in venezuela. >> one thing you don't mention and everybody would say is your biggest accomplishment is the gang of eight comprehensive immigration reform bill that was passed in 2013. let me ask you a question, was that a good bill? was that a reasonable compromise on the immigration problem?
11:40 pm
>> not as a final package. i said that at the time, chris. if you go back and we'll provide you that, you'll see that throughout that debate in the senate, i kept saying over and over, this is the best ke can do here. and this senate run by harry reid. but this is going to have to change when it gets to the house. it's not strong enough. >> you said you supported the bill. after passage. and you said during the fight that it had important reforms that conservatives have been working for for years. you voted for it. >> it did -- sure. it's the best we can do in a senate run by harry reid. we did get the democrats to agree on a lot of things conservatives pushed for. i wasn't enough. i warned about that repeatedly much i said this is not going to go to the house. they're going to make it even stronger. but here's get news. when i'm president of the united states, we're not going do it that way. i don't need to do it harry ri reid's way. we do it our way.
11:41 pm
we're going to enforce the laws and secure our border first. until we do that, nothing else is going to happen on immigration. >> finally, let's talk about super tuesday. you have not won a state yet. all 11 states where people will go to the polls on tuesday, you are trailing. if you go through super tuesday and you still haven't won a state, can you still be a viable candidate? >> oh, absolutely. first of all, super tuesday is going to award a lot of delegates. we're going to pick up a lot of delegates. here's the bottom line, need 1,237 delegates to be the republican nominee. donald trump will never have that number of delegates. i don't care how long i have to work. i'll go to all 50 states and every territory, he will never get those delegates. i'm going to get the delegates. i will be the republican nominee. we're going to pick up a lot of delegates this week. >> you can still be 0 for 15 and be nominated? >> because we're going to pick up a lot of delegates, sure. that's not the plan, by the way, but sure, absolutely we can. we're going to pick up a lot of delegates and we're going to pick up on a lot of delegates next week. and then come march 15th, i
11:42 pm
expect this race will be significantly narrowed, more americans will now know the truth about donald trump after we spent two weeks banging away on it and people will see what they're about to fall con to. and then we are going to start winning states when the states start awarding all of the delegates and that includes florida. we feel very optimistic about that now more than ever, especially. >> senator rubio, thank you. thank you for taking the time to talk with us. safe travels on the campaign trail, sir. >> thank you. up next, we'll have a live report from south carolina on hillary clinton's big victory there. plus in the wake of a trump/rubio fire fight, we'll ask our republican group where the group stand on the eve of super tuesday. plus, what you would like to as the panel about how personal the gop race has become? just go to facebook or twitter @@foxnewssunday and we may use your question on the air. we needed 30 new hires for our call center. i'm spending too much time hiring and not enough time in my kitchen. (announcer) need to hire fast? go to ziprecruiter.com and post your job to over 100 of the web's leading job boards with a single click. then simply select the best candidates
11:43 pm
from one easy to review list. you put up one post and the next day you have all these candidates. makes my job a lot easier. (announcer) over 400,000 businesses have already used ziprecruiter. and now you can use ziprecruiter for free. go to ziprecruiter.com/offer800
11:44 pm
11:45 pm
11:46 pm
>> i a look at st. michaels episcopal church in downtown charleston. hillary clinton scored a big hillary clinton scored a big victory in south carolina building on her momentum going into super tuesday. ed henry is on the trail in columbia, south carolina. ed? >> chris, first nevada and then south carolina. hillary clinton's campaign heating up as 1800 delegates will be handed out in the first two weeks of march. 900 of them next tuesday alone. that's why bernie sanders fled here yesterday. went to the super tuesday states of texas and minnesota as hillary clinton stayed here to declare this race is about to go national and she tried out a new line attacking not sanders but donald trump. listen. >> despite what you hear, we don't need to make america great again. america has never stopped being great.
11:47 pm
we do need to make america whole again. instead of building walls, we need to be tearing down barriers. >> a revolution is more than waving a sign. with your help, we can take a giant step forward in moving this political revolution, if we win here in texas. >> now the sanders plan is to try to win in super tuesday states like oklahoma and colorado. and then scoop up a smaller number of delegates because, remember, on the democratic side, these states are not winner take all. they're proportional. then they're going to attack clinton's pro trade policies in michigan. you have 150 delegates there. ohio, march 15, about 150 delegates there as well. clinton could counter with florida. that has 246 delegates. clinton has a big edge with super delegates. those party bosses. all of that adds up to the fact that she may be on the verge of taking command here, chris. >> ed, thank you.
11:48 pm
and it's time now for our sunday group. syndicated columnist george will, susan page of usa today, head of heritage action for america, michael needham and fox news political analyst juan williams. we'll get to the analysts in a moment. i have to start with the republican race. george, same question i had for rubio. why did his opponents wait so long to take out the research and go after trump? >> i'll tell you how long it was, 254 days between donald trump's announcement where he started in with the mexican rapists and building on that ever since and the debate in houston. now more than eight months passed. and suddenly, we have an epiphany that donald trump is a con artist and all of this, the clown act. i think several things explain. people just don't want to take him on because it's unpleasant. the republican party, the
11:49 pm
political class generally is a generation of the timid in cases like this. second is incredulity. people wonder where are the coke brothers? where is the club for growth? why haven't they unloaded on him about his record most classify is public and in the opposition research for years. they find it incredible that american people could contemplate putting him president and anti-constitutional authoritarian. mr. rubio was afraid that if he attacked the cruz people some of the cruz people, sorry, the trump people, some of them might go to ted cruz as their second choice. ted cruz is afraid that if he attacks trump, that he will roll the waters and raise the mud and the dust in the south which is the source of his campaign hope. so fear explains this. >> i think there is a lot of truth there. in fairness, ted cruz is going after trump for two months. he's been doing it on policy. the club for growth in september ran ads in iowa on eminent domain. i think the sad part is it's
11:50 pm
more about the country and the media. it's not until you're starting to criticize the size of somebody's ears or spray on tan that they count as insults and gets the type of attention. it's a lot about what they say. >> he has been there. domain, that got plenty of attention. i guess what i'm talking about is obviously, he's got a record in business. illegal immigrants, tax returns, trump university. why wasn't that ever brought up? >> yeah, i think a lot of what's getting attention right now is the reason that 65% of republican voters are supporting people like trump or ted cruz is they feel totally ignored by washington, d.c. it's much more a cultural play. they understand that the elites and the court of washington in new york look down their nose at the middle america. they think they cling to their guns and religion. they're looking at trump and the assertiveness with which he's fighting the washington establishment. same thing for ted cruz.
11:51 pm
and they find an identity on that. that may be imminent domain. ted cruz is doing this for months. this is who understands out there that people are hurting? this is a tough time. life is tough. it's getting tougher. and who understands that the elites in washington, d.c. are looking down their nose at us. >> whoever you like in the republican race, the debate this past week was, well, i called it an embarrassment for the republican party. take a look. >> okay. >> thank you for the book. thank you for the book. >> donald -- you can get back. >> i'm having a lot of fun up here tonight, i have to tell you. >> and a number of our viewers agree. lee burnham posted this on facebook. it is turned into a circus. i fear for our country. where is some principled, mature, and reasoned leadership? susan, how do you answer lee and will all of this, the quote so-called circus, is that going to hurt republicans in the fall? >> i think it will.
11:52 pm
the evidence is that taking sort of being a bully and playground kind of taunts does not hurt donald trump up until now. i think it may hurt marco rubio, for instance, whose persona is a much more positive one than he's taking in the last couple days. but, yes, i think when you get to a general election and you're going after not angry republican-based voters, but going after voters in the middle, that this kind of thing does not resonate as presidential and trustworthy as somebody you're going to want to put in the white house to deal with all the issues that a president is dealing with. >> how strong do you think trump's position is going into super tuesday? three wins in a row, leading in the poll in 9 of the 11 states that are up and could he effectively, not numerically, but eeffectively wrap this up o tuesday? >> i think he could. if he performs as much as we think he might. say in every place except texas. on what basis do you get to a
11:53 pm
contested convention? and if he comes in with -- if he continues to win fair and square, republican primaries and caucuses and states, he signed that pledge to support the party's nominee. so did everybody else. if he wins the nomination that way, he's going to be the nominee. >> juan, let's turn to the democrats. we all expected clinton to clobber bernie sanders in south carolina. i don't know that we expected 75/25. how does this set her up for super tuesday? >> well, it was a domineering performance in south carolina, especially among african-american voters and african-american women. just overwhelming. she did better than barack obama. that's how good it was. so looking forward, sanders is talking about performance in places like minnesota, wisconsin, the upper midwest and maybe even oklahoma. but if you look at the actual numbers, chris, not only is she leading, she's leading -- she's leading right now in the polls in oklahoma, tennessee, georgia. minnesota and colorado, caucus states where the polling can be kind of tricky. but sanders looks like he's ahead in his home state of vermont, maybe massachusetts.
11:54 pm
that's about it. and if you look at the delegate count that we heard ed henry talking about earlier, she is about a quarter of the way to the delegates total at this point. it's unbelievable. she really is on a glide path to the nomination. >> george, pick up on that. the sanders camp is almost conceding in most of the southern states with big, oftentimes majorities if not a very big minority of african-americans voting that she's going to win. but they're saying in places like vermont and minnesota and massachusetts and colorado, that those four states, that they could win on super tuesday. does that matter? >> no. turns out the faculty clubs and student safe spaces of american campuses are just not big enough to nominate a president. the democratic party's base consists of minorities and public employees, particularly
11:55 pm
teache teachers afsmi and all the rest. they are really serious about keeping control of the government because their livelihood depends on the government. it is a coalition of the dependent. and, in fact, they do not take things with people like bernie sanders. if he could campaign from ann arbor, michigan, to madison, wisconsin, to boulder, colorado, to palo alto, he'd win. >> i think hillary clinton finds herself in the comfortable position that barack obama did eight years ago. barack obama won south carolina in landslide, hillary clinton never caught up. delegate leads kept building. >> she won a string of states in february like ten or 11 in a row. >> she stayed until the primaries were over in june. the lead kept getting bigger. if you look at the math ahead, that's what looks like is going to happen in this race. >> well, the question is, her one vulnerability would be that she is seen by the left by the academics in the left wing, especially left wing blacks as far too centrist. there are critics of hers. so senator warren hasn't
11:56 pm
senator merkley, they haven't endorsed her. the far left has yet to embrace her. that is the only vulnerability if you're bernie sanders. >> real quickly, less than a minute, michael. there is another vulnerability and that is honesty and trustworthiness. sanders started going after clinton this week about the huge speeches to wall street banks, refusing to turn over the transcript. "the new york times" called her out on that. does that gain any traction? >> well, i think it gains track as a process story. i don't think it will substantively. if you assume the worst, you would assume she sounded like a managing director at goldman sachs. you'll find she is a managing director of goldman sachs and on the take. these people are in politics in order to get themselves and their friends rich. >> all right. strong letter to follow. >> didn't like her speeches. thank you, panel. see you next sunday. we want to keep you up to date on our continuing effort to get hillary clinton to answer questions for the millions of you who watch this program. you may remember last week we said we would reach out to two clinton campaign officials who didn't even answer us.
11:57 pm
well, on monday both of them did return our e-mails and discussed wanting to arrange an interview with clinton in march. we'll let you know how that goes. up next, a final word.
11:58 pm
11:59 pm
well, that's it for a packed show. we wanted to run an on the trail piece as things get personal between trump, rubio and cruz. you can watch what is now a web exclusive at foxnewssunday.com. now these program notes. be sure to tune to fox news channel tuesday at 6:00 p.m. eastern for full coverage of super tuesday.
12:00 am
and tomorrow night on "special report, exquisite exquisite bret baier sits down with loretta lynch for her first appearance on fox news. that's it for today. have a great week and we'll see you next "fox news sunday."anmo business network. see you then. on a buzz beater today, two days until super tuesday, the media finally jumping on the trump express. asking if anyone can derail the donald. >> the bigger question at this point, can anyone catch up to donald trump? >> he is definitely going to be dominated. he's going to route nerve tonight's caucus. my vibe is trump is going all the way. >> we said for ted cruz, it's over. for marco, it's over. unless something really draw mattmat -- dra mat being happens. >> you listen to the nervousness. it's line the titanic has taken over the establishment. >> slamming trump in a debate filled with shouting at cnn. they

50 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on