Skip to main content

tv   On the Record With Greta Van Susteren  FOX News  April 13, 2016 4:00pm-5:01pm PDT

4:00 pm
right now. if you haven't been online, it's worth checking out. "special report" online begins in five seconds. tonight, "on the record," donald trump is crying foul. the g.o.p. frontrunner is about to take the stage in pennsylvania and trump is on the attack. is he taking aim at the g.o.p. and specifically right at our rnc chairman reince priebus and outside that trump rally anti-trump protesters are lining up to scrunt the big event tonight. "on the record" has live team coverage from both inside and outside the rally. but it all kicks off at fox news senior national correspondent john roberts live in pittsburgh. john? >> very enthusiastic crowd here tonight at the convention center in downtown pittsburgh. donald trump just finished a town hall meeting with sean hannity which we'll air tonight and make his way over here. the trump campaign had said a couple of weeks ago that it was,l soon going to be
4:01 pm
adding seasoned veterans to its roster. they made good on its pledge tonight hiring rick wiley. that's a familiar name. it's because he was wisconsin governor scott walker's campaign manager. of course, walker was one of the first ones to flame out of the presidential contest and wiley did leave that campaign after it imploded in a cloud of controversy. he knows the ins and outs of the republican party contest, specifically the delegate process, so he is a valuable asset to the trump campaign. a lot of people are saying things like this should have happened a couple months ago donald trump may not be in the position that he is right now having to worry about virtually every delegate and the big battle is he now in with the republican national committee over how delegates are allocated in some of the states, even though that is a state issue. trump pointing specifically to what happened in colorado over the weekend where he got skunked by ted cruz now saying that the system is rigged against him. reince priebus at the rnc had had enough and yesterday tweeted out come on, give us all a break. the rules were well known
4:02 pm
for a long time and you are complaining about it now? ted cruz has been having no end of fun with this appearing with glenn beck on his radio show yesterday saying that he believes that donald trump is running scared. he is panicked. he wakes up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night thinking that people are going to brands him losing donald. here's the reality of the situation, greta. here in pennsylvania, donald trump leads john kasich who is running second by 20 points. he leads ted cruz who is way back in third by almost 30 points. and he is ahead in new york by similar margins. he is also way, way up in maryland. so, if donald trump starts running the table, beginning with new york's primary next tuesday, this whole narrative of the campaign could change and, yes, donald trump still does have a path to a majority of delegates, 1237 before the convention. also tomorrow morning his congressional meetings duncan hunter and chris collins will be leading at the capitol hill club tomorrow morning at 9:00.
4:03 pm
they have got six members of congress who have pledged their support to donald trump who will be joining them. they're being asked to bring like minded members of congress over. so they are building the organization rapidly, greta. would tell you they should have done this weeks ago. greta? >> john, any idea what the crowd number is there? >> >> you know, it's very difficult to estimate crowd sizes when people aren't in their seats. i would estimate there are s. probably about 4,000 people here. maybe a few more than that. when you are sitting in a stadium you know what the stadium holds but these convention halls it's very difficult particularly when you pack some people. in i will give it liberal count and say it's probably about 4 to 5,000. >> if it turns out it's wrong you will hear from the trump campaign. john, thank you. >> you bet. i will. people will start$ñ tweeting immediately. >> outside the david l. lawrence convention center there is a toxic mix of trump supporters and leventhal is live in the middle of the crowds. rick? >> and, greta, they are
4:04 pm
facing off right here in sort of a tunnel a breezeway underneath the convention center. you have anti-trump protesters on my right here and then on this side, this is a line of people still waiting to get inside the convention center. been -- it stretches all the way down as far as you can see outside there. they have been letting people in since 4:00 this afternoon. and they are still trying to get all these people. in so there are thousands more people out here in addition to the thousands who are inside. the crowd of protesters is probably in the hundreds, 200 to 300, perhaps. they are very noisy. they have been facing off. there have been squirm images. answer picture act now to stop war and racism. there are other groups out here as well. there are police here.
4:05 pm
of course, pittsburgh police are now, county sheriff's department officers are out here keeping an eye on the crowd. they weg%uu(áq" for a loud protest. they are concerned because there is an nhl playoff game between the penguins and rangers here in town just a few blocks from here and also a pittsburgh pirates game. they are playing the detroit tigers across the river. a lot of action in pittsburgh tonight and a very noisy crowd here outside the convention center as, again, hundreds of protesters face off with, perhaps, thousands of trump supporters. still waiting to get inside for that rally, greta. >> rick, thank you. of course we will check back in if anything develops there. thank you, rick. donald trump is not slowing down on his ongoing rough and tumble battle with the g.o.p. over what he calls unfair delegate rules. >> the colorado thing was very, very unfair. i thought louisiana was very unfair. i won louisiana. i won it easily. >> popular vote. >> he got the popular vote. because all of all the shenanigans goes on. >> you call them
4:06 pm
shenanigans. those are the rules. didn't you know those rules. >> i know the rules well i know it's stacked against me by the establishment. we had people out there and they weren't heard. in fact, today, when it was announced -- the numbers were announced they put out something on twitter essentially we stopped trump. that was put out by the party in colorado. the point is it was stacked against us. >> rnc is not staying silent reince priebus firing back at trumpñ with this tweet. nomination process known for a year and beyond. it's the responsibility of the campaigns to understand it. complaints now? give us all a break. 2012 presidential candidate mr. herman cain goes "on the record." good evening, sir. >> hello, greta. thank you. happy to be here. >> happy to have you. so, if you are the mediator on this one or the arbiter on this one, are you team ryans priebus or are you team donald trump as to this spat over the delegate system? >> i would be team move on, okay. colorado is just merely a
4:07 pm
small feud. that really is no feud between the rnc and donald trump because the rnc did not set the rules with colorado. granted, it's controversial but let's move on. the bigger prizes are coming up in new york, pennsylvania, california, and all of these other states. i wouldn't focus on colorado. it's controversial, but i don't think that's a game changer. >> i will tell you what has caught my attention. first of all, the rules were established a long time ago. i have got that i think by october 11th. >> right. >> every campaign had access to= it. it didn't matter who you were. you were one of the 17 or whatever it was. everybody had access to it. the colorado g.o.p. tweeting out on april 9th. we did it #never trump. and, you know, if that doesn't say something. that certainly, you know, that certainly it sounds like something thatisn't quite right in colorado. that's very suspicious. but even more than that is that colorado republicans say they are investigating it. well, that's gotten a little silly now.
4:08 pm
someone uses my account i have to say who has my password. little disingenuous to act like this is an fbi investigation to see who hacked into the pentagon. they know who did this. they are slow-walking it. >> you are absolutely right, greta. and what you just -- what you just illustrated relative to colorado is the fact that it's not about colorado versus trump or anybody else. it's about quote, unquote. the establishment that's against trump. and when people in colorado or the people thatedq are participating in the republican party in colorado, they are bragging about the fact that they stopped trump. that's the bigger feud. and that's what's going to basically outrage many of the people that are republicans in colorado who didn't get a chance to vote. and, like i said. let's move on. >> but, no, no. but wait a second. it looks a little deeper. if i were on the receiving end of this i wouldn't be happy. because you could have one jerk who tweets that i got it but then where is the rest of the party in colorado that they haven't
4:09 pm
come -- they haven't really told who did it. what were the circumstances? instead they are doing coverup. saying we are just doing an investigation. they call it a coverup. they may say it's some,p huge deep investigation. i just don't buy it that makes me now suspicious and really does sort of undermine the integrity of the colorado republican party and how they conducted their business. so, you know, what's the holdup? tell us what happened. >> in that regard, i would agree with you've. you are absolutely right. it does seem as if there might be something else but we don't know at this point. what we do know is that there are a lot of delegates out there left in these upcoming primaries. york. is he leading in pennsylvania. is he leading in california. let's focus on that. look. colorado is a blip in my opinion in terms of this whole process. questions about the processspw&@ and some of these states, yes. but i wouldn't focus on that.
4:10 pm
multi-task and you say move on. that's terrific but that sort of sweeps it under the carpet for what happened. maybe it's not something sinister that happened but i think we can multitask. and i don't blame trump for raising hell that, you know, what's going on in colorado. he knew the rules. you know, and actually, i'm against him on that part. but i don't understand. this but, i'm taking the last word on this. anyway. mr. herman cain, thank you for joining us. >> greta, you can take the last word whenever you want to. >> you just did. anyway, thank you.zv donald trump railing against the g.o.p. is dominating the political headlines and taking over the 2016 race. >> there is no think sheo/ shekanry here trying to change the rules in their favor. >> people can say oh well that's the way the game is played. they should have had an election. >> they have rigged it over on the democratic side.
4:11 pm
they are using super delegates. it's not rigged on the republican side. >> donald has been yelling and screaming. >> the rnc, the republican national committee, they should be ashamed themselves. >> it's no secret that crorld waste going to are a have a convention and choose their delegates before the primary. it's just nobody leaked it nobody talked about it. >> because it has nothing to do with democracy. they took the votes away people are burning up their republican cards because they want to vote. >> these are the insider guys. they made this decision in august. the reason they did it this way was to facilitate one of their own insider candidates. >> the "on the record" real clear politics caitlin huey burns and "u.s. news and world report" david catanese. david, look, the rules are the rules. i got that last october. this colorado primary where the caucus system to get the delegates was on saturday.
4:12 pm
and that was when this -- we did it #never trump happened. on sunday, they say the republican party says investigation is ongoing. investigation is ongoing. it is now wednesday/n >> maybe they don't know. >> who has the password? who tweeted right before? who tweeted after. >> they have to know. >> that's a lie. >> they are probably hoping it blows over like herman cain was saying because frankly that tweet gives fuel to the fire of a donald trump argument that this is rigged. the rules aren't rigged. obviously the -- nothing more establishment party is against trump that was a moment of candor that shouldn't have happened under any circumstance. if they want to be seen as fair arbiters. >> is there any doubt that the colorado g.o.p., at least this tweeter who obviously had access and so had -- was apparently enough
4:13 pm
stature within the party to have access to this account, is there any doubt that they didn't want trump? >> well, there is certainly an anti-trump sentiment across the country and within kind ofmy the establishment ranks of the republican party. and i think donald trump can really use that to his ad vantage as david was alluding to. this really riles up donald trump supporters. telling them though that, you know, that the establishment is trying to take this away from me even though these are the rules. i also think it gives him some way out a little bit. if we get to the convention and he doesn't have the requisite number of delegates and isn't able to secure them after the first -- on the first ballot and then subsequent ballots, i think it gives him a way to say look, they had it in for me the whole time. >> i think we should point out this is reince priebus, chairman of the g.o.p., he has nothing to do with the state rules. this is not reince priebus at all. this is the colorado state g.o.p. right? >> this is the colorado state g.o.p. but, look, there is two sets
4:14 pm
of rules we are talking about here. there is the rules that each state gets to set on how they want to run their primary or caucus or convention. but then there are a whole other set of rules on how govern the convention there is a lot of overlap there because you can set a rule right before the convention. they can change the rules. >> but that's in july. >> that's in july. >> we haven't even gotten to that fight. >> right. but a lot of those rules are important for how many delegates a person has, how many states a person has. whether they won the majority of delegates in a certain amount of states. all those rules can still be changed. and i think that's where trump's forces could have a bigger. >> could be a fight on who gets to be on that rules committee. >> right. exactly. who would have thought that the rules committee would be the focus of this campaign in a campaign where the spotlight is really on getting that 1237 number of delegates and, you know, making who gets nominated, who is eligible for nomination. i mean, this is all going to be settled in the rules
4:15 pm
committee. those rules have been to be agreed upon by a majority at the convention. that's a whole other fight. we could see a rules fight throughout that whole week. >> the only place i disagree with you is where you say, quote, where it is settled. i'm not sure where it gets settlementsed. >> that's true. >> david and caitlin, stay with us. a massive senator bernie sanders rally in new york city is about to kick off. thousands of supporters lining up early for star studded event in washington square park. live team coverage for the big night. we do begin with chief white house correspondent ed henry, ed? >> greta, good to see you. thousands of people have been waiting outside thisv park because nypd has several streets around washington square park shut down. you can see some people are actually running behind me to get a better spot, get closer to the stage. we don't expect senator sanders will be here for at least an hour or two. but he has all kinds of warm-up acts. spike lee here. other supporters of his. spike lee important because both he and hillary clinton
4:16 pm
are fighting very hard for the african-american vote here. today hillary clinton, as you know, met again with the reverend alzrywy sharpton, spoke to his group the national action network. sanders will be doing the same tomorrow. the point there is that hillary clinton right now, according to a new quinnipiac poll out today, has a 37 point edge among african-american voter here in new york over bernie sanders. remember, she basically ran the table in the deep south because of her support with african-americans. if you look at the rest of the electorate here in new york. sanders holding up very well with men, young people. is he very strong as we have seen all around the country. that's why you have a lot of people here from nyu filling up this park behind me. but he has a lot of work to do with african-americans. so clinton is really trying to exploit that advantage. something that sanders simply has not had an answer for in this campaign. big picture is this is a double-digit lead for hillary clinton. at least 12 points to 14 points here in new york. the primary, of course, is next tuesday. almost 250 delegates at stake and it's so critical
4:17 pm
for both of these candidates. get some distance with bernie sanders and finally pull away whereas sanders realizes he not only has to win, he has to win big here in new york so that he can get a lot more delegates to start catching up. otherwise, this race is going to get away from him, greta. once again griff jenkins showing up early to get the voice of the voters and get the pulls of the voters. >> greta, the party has started. the wildly popular band vampire week is rocking behind me. there are 7,000 supporters in this park. that is just the limited people they are letting. there are thousands more lining the streets. what better place to come ditch free education on the doorstep of one of the most expensive college educations in the nation. we talked to some of the supporters on their way. in here is what they had to say. >> [screaming] >> i am feeling the erin.
4:18 pm
>> why are you supporting bernie sanders. >> income inequality. >> especially my generation is in a position we need to start looking at what we can do to make the future better. >> i have been watching sanders for a long time and i think he is the only guy who hasn't sold out. legitimately standing up to the people. standing up to the banks. >> i'm supporting bernie sanders because at this point there isn't s. no other decent campaign in the race that's willing -- >> -- free college, among other things like stopping climate change. >> supporting bernie sanders is mass incarceration. >> i'm supporting bernie sanders because i think the problems in our country are systemic and is he speaking my language. >> are you supporting bernie sanders. >> why. >> because he never voted for a war and never gotten a super pac. >> bernie sanders is a great candidate and he is letting the nation know that there is income inequality. it's time to start taxing the rich.
4:19 pm
people like bill o'reilly. griff jenkins. and people like that. [ laughter ] >> i wish i made that kind of money to pay for all that free education. i don't. the party is getting started here. the crowd is chanting protect the status quo. we will bring it here. >> we will bring you inside scoop on the new york g.o.p.i÷ primary. new yorknew york state g.o.p. n. donald trump is taking a break from the empire state. is he in pennsylvania. we will go inside the trump event straight ahead. you both have a perfect driving record. perfect. no tickets. no accidents. that is until one of you clips a food truck, ruining your perfect record. yeah. now you would think your insurance company would cut you some slack, right? no. your insurance rates go through the roof... your perfect record doesn't get you anything.
4:20 pm
anything. perfect. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance. (two text tones) now? (text tone) excuse me. (phone tone) again? be right back. always running to the bathroom because your bladder is calling the shots? (text tone) you may have oab. enough of this. we're going to the doctor. take charge and ask your doctor about myrbetriq. that's myr-be-triq, the first and only treatment... ...in its class for oab symptoms of urgency... ...frequency, and leakage. myrbetriq (mirabegron) may increase blood pressure. tell your doctor right away if you have trouble emptying your bladder, or have a weak urine stream. myrbetriq may cause serious allergic reactions. if you experience... ...swelling of the face, lips, throat or tongue or difficulty breathing, stop taking myrbetriq and tell your doctor right away. myrbetriq may affect or be affected by other medications. before taking myrbetriq... ...tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney problems. common
4:21 pm
side effects include increased blood pressure... ...common cold symptoms, urinary tract infection... ...and headache. it's time for you to make the calls, so call your doctor to see if ...myrbetriq may be right for you. visit myrbetriq.com to learn more.
4:22 pm
4:23 pm
i love maryland. i brought this weather did a really great job. >> we grew up together in new york. you know me. we all have little things. you know me. i know you. we all love each other. >> we are here for something this afternoon a lot more important than politics. we're here this afternoon because our country is in crisis. >> i don't know how many the only person that beats hillary clinton is me. it's like they come out every day. >> i don't care who wins over there. i will take on either one of them. i sort of had my heart set on hillary. >> someone just did an independent analysis of the electoral college and both trump and cruz get smoked and i win. a word of hope and encouragement. all across pennsylvania, all across this country. people are waking up and help is on the way.
4:24 pm
>> that is the 2016 g.o.p. candace. on the campaign trail in multiple states today but new york is the next big prize. what are new york republicans looking for in a candidate. chair of the g.o.p. state committee ed cox is here to go "on the record." good evening, sir. >> good evening, greta. great to be with you. >> new yorkers want anything different than the rest of the nation. >> what we wanted was having an exciting primary. >> you got that. >> for the first time in history of the new york republican presidential primaries this is going to a decisive primary and the grass roots are going to get to decide hot nominee is going to be and who the next president of the united states may be. >> you think this is the end-all? no one is going to get 1237. >> greatest political show on earth has landed right here playing almost exclusively in new york state. >> are you so we all watch or are you serious? >> no. this exciting. movement of maybe 10 percentage points one way or another could decide whether it's going to be open convention or whether donald trump can close it out on the first ballot.
4:25 pm
>> tell me about the state. obviously we are in new york city right now where there is a high concentration of people. but what about upstate. >> start with this we have 95 delegates. that's more than any state going forward except for california. it's a big treasure trove of delegates. >> winner-take-all. >> no. it's proportional. very proportional. by congressional district. so if you have -- if you have a majority in a congressional -- there are 2ãcongressional districts. three delegates in each. you get those three delegates if you get a majority in that congressional district. if you only get a plurality you only get 2. second place gets one. someone who thinks i may not win this but i can get one delegate by going and campaigning. encouraging the candidates to campaign all around the state. that's what's happening and terrific for us to have our new hampshire moment here but with a lot of delegates. >> you know, for most of us when we look at the delegate stuff. every n. every state you almost need a ph.d. in
4:26 pm
mathematics to figure it out. >> there is some sense to it. look, i don't understand why iowa and new hampshire should have all the fun? why should those two small states decide it. >> you won't be invited back there. >> let me ask you about your gala many it's a big deal. all the candidates coming to new york and speaking. >> it's going to be huge plus our honor honorary first latino governor of the united states honoree. we planned it around her and then this happened. we did plan for this also by setting april 19th as the sole primary day. we are it on april 19th. >> everyone thought she would be courted. she has a very busy dance card because she is hispanic and governor -- governor of new mexico. >> very successful governor, reelected overwhelmingly and she is a potential vice presidential candidate among the presidential candidates will be showing up tomorrow night at the grand hyatt.
4:27 pm
it's going to be exciting. >> indeed it will be. we will be watching on tuesday. ed, thank you for joining us. >> pleasure to be with you, greta. >> all the candidates at the 2016 new york state republican gala tomorrow night. it will be right here on fox news. donald trump is slamming the g.o.p. claiming6ñ it is unfair to him. is he back on the attack tonight? we're live inside his event. that's next. 's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast. it's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast. it's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast. ...it's how well you mow fast! ...it's how well you mow fast. even if it doesn't catch on, doesn't mean it's not true. the john deere ztrak z535m with our reengineered deck to mow faster better. to find out more about the accel deep mower deck, go to johndeere.com/mowwellfast
4:28 pm
4:29 pm
[ woman ] thanks. the dealership reviews on cars.com made it easy, but... [ man ] we thought it might be a little more tense.
4:30 pm
you miss the drama? yeah. [ technician ] ask him whatever you want. okay. ♪ do you think my sister's prettier than me? ♪ [ laughs ] [ male announcer ] research, price, find. only cars.com helps you get the right car without all the drama. that reminds me... anyone have occasional constipation, diarrhea... ...gas, bloating? yes! one phillips' colon health probiotic cap each day helps defend against occasional digestive issues. with three types of good bacteria. live the regular life. phillips'.
4:31 pm
donald trump has been hitting hard at what he calls the unfair g.o.p. let's listen to trump. >> the manufacturing, forget about it. the people are incredible. like you, the people are incredible people. they stick with it. they want to make it great and they want to make america great again. but they want to bring it back. [cheers] >> they want to bring it back. and i will tell you what. we are going to. when you see these companies you saw recently carrier air conditioner where they fired 1400 people like it was nothing and they are moving to mexico. and then they are going to make their air conditioners. they are going to make their air conditioners. they are going to send them over. he says build the wall. you are right. weaver going to build the -- we're going to build the wall. don't worry about it. we're going to build the wall. [cheers] [chanting build that wall]
4:32 pm
>> are you ready? and whose going to pay for the wall? >> mexico. >>xd 100 percent. okay? 100. you know, mexico and i have great relationships with mexico. the mexican people. hispanics, thousands of them work for me. they are fantastic. in nevada, which i won, i won the state of nevada. they did a poll. came out where the hispanics, who is the most popular? donald trump. people that live here legally, they love donald trump because they don't want their jobs taken away. they don't want crime. they don't want the problems that are being caused in our country. we have huge problems. so we are, in fact, we're going to have a strong border. just so you understand, 15500 border patrol last week endorsed me. >> this is a fox news alert. according to politico, donald trump's campaign
4:33 pm
manager corey lewandowski will reportedly not be prosecuted for battery against former breitba reporter michelle fields. joining me for more on this co-host of the five kimberly guilfoyle is here to go "on the record" and is a family room -- former prosecutor, still a lawyer. big news. >> this is a big story for the two attorneys here at the table tonight. this is significant. if you recall, greta, when this first transpired, you were the first person to say, in fact, you didn't feel, based on the elements. based on the fact that we knew at the time that itcz amounted to making the criminal elements of what a battery entails, right, in terms of that there was some people positioning back and forth turning into kind of a political- >> -- people took sides. people were unwilling to look at the video. they took sides. it was fascinating. >> it was because they wanted certain outcome or to see it a certain way. as attorneys, as lawyers, and myself as a former prosecutor, i know you have to actually meet the elements of a crime in order for it to have occurred. so, when you have something like that, you can rely on a
4:34 pm
videotape. or if you didn't have a videotape you would rely on eyewitnesses there at the scene to come together to take a stand to say what, in fact, they saw happen and then, of course, from the victims themselves. >> as a former prosecutor, i mean, think of the prosecutor in this case. because florida has cameras in the courtroom. >> um-huh. >> this may be a=)ñ big break for michelle fields because the witness stand. >>us yes. >> and she would have been grilled on this. i mean, this is not -- i mean, as a prosecutor, you are looking at would you have -- we called it papered. would you have filed this case? >> well, that's the problem. you have to go through it. you have to take all the statements. you have to see if, in fact, the videotape showed all the type of thing. you take a look at the video here, greta. this is what we are referring to. >> the interesting thing is it appeared that at least at one point the secret service put their hands out, too. and all you do is create a little confusion, some reasonable doubt for the jury and bingo the defense wins and the prosecution loses. >> you have to look what did someone intend?
4:35 pm
what was going on at the time. you see there there is quite about. a frakus of sorts. when you determine believability, credibility of witnesses, whether people were eyewitnesses or whether the victim takes the stand, was there a prior consistent or inconsistent statement? s to it match up with what you saw on the tape? >> i am not for assault at all. i want everybody to know that i'm not pro-assault. but i will tell you a lot of us women really fought to be in that scrum. we fought really hard to have an equal opportunity with male reporters. >> so true. so true. fought tooth and nail to be able to get in there and ask the questions and be a part of reporting the story, front row seat to history. this election cycle has been like none we have ever seen and you have had donald trump moment ago live there in pittsburgh. so, this is quite an exsiting time but there is a lot of emotions running high. emotional investment, greta, to see certain outcomes depending on who you are supporting and i think we have seen that.
4:36 pm
>> anyway, the big news that politico is reporting and i'm so lucky that kimberly came here to talk about something else on the campaign but as a former prosecutor. >> still a lawyer. >> people say former lawyer both of us. kimberly thank you very much. >> great to be with you. >> coming back soon and terrifying road rage incident caught on camera. driver of that red car and two motorcyclists exchanging words. a third motorcycle required arrives and punches begin to fly until this. [horn blowing] [screaming] the women sitting in the red car pulling out a gun and yelling at the riders until they sped off. none of the people seen in the video has been identified by police. and senator marco rubio breaking his silence and announces who he likes in the 2016 race. that's coming up. (war drums beating)
4:37 pm
fight heartburn fast. with tums chewy delights. the mouthwatering soft chew that goes to work in seconds to conquer heartburn fast. tum tum tum tum. chewy delights. only from tums.
4:38 pm
4:39 pm
heywhether to stay or go?re ♪ when it's go, the new choice privileges gets you there faster. and now, stay two times and you can earn a free night. book now at choicehotels.com
4:40 pm
xerox personalized employee portals help companies! make benefits simple and accessible... from anywhere. hula dancing? cliff jumping! human resources can work better. with xerox. which allergy? eees. bees? eese. trees? eese. xerox helps hospitals use electronic health records so doctors provide more personalized care. cheese? cheese! patient care can work better. with xerox. that's it.
4:41 pm
get ready to speed read the news. russian aggression on display shocking video showing two russian warplanes flying within feet of a u.s. destroyer. off the coast of poland when the russian jet came swooping down in a quote simulated attack profile. u.s. officials safe the jets made 11 passes before flying off. 72-year-old woman and a dog rescued survived nine days. ann rogers was driving to phoenix when she ran out of gas. after she ran out of food she had in her car. they turned to berries and plants and drinking croak water. she spelled out the word help using sticks drawing the attention a rescue helicopter. presidential first pitch. former president george h.w. bush throwing out the honorary first pitch at last night's houston astro's game. a houston resident and long time fan of the astros. not a great night of the astros they did win 3-2 to
4:42 pm
defending champs kansas city royals. and that's tonight's speed read. marco rubio had been keeping a very=low profile since suspending white house run. the florida senator now jumping back into the fray to endorse a candidate, well, kind of. >> been pretty clear that i want the republican nominee to be a conservative and in my view at this moment of the candidates that are still actively campaigning the only one that fits that cite is ted cruz. i have said that publicly. >> but later today senator rubio is saying that was not an endorsement. the senator also ruling out a possible v.p. nod from whoever becomes the g.o.p. nominee. the "on the record" political panel is back from real clear politics caitlin huey burns and "u.s. news and world report" david catanese. david, first of all, was that an endorsement? >> no. endorsement is i endorse ted cruz. i get on a stage with him somewhere. i get an important state and i put my arm up with him and get the picture. >> what was that? >> well, it was, you know, i don't know why marco rubio has stayed on the sidelines. i think it is because
4:43 pm
most -- most of these guys that are worked with ted cruz on capitol hill don't like ted cruz and i also think marco rubio delegates. 150 delegates. has he released those delegates? has he told those delegates they can go somewhere else? i don't think we have seen that yet. i think he may want to keep his hand in the pot for a convention. >> or if he has 150 delegates, caitlin and he says he doesn't want the g.o.p. vice president nod, do you believe him? >> i don't know. but the fact that he has delegates, that gives him plenty of leverage heading into cleveland. >> to do what? >> to, you know, if he were to give an endorsement of ted cruz, an official endoesment, he would also be signaling to those dels look beings i'm releasing you. you can support whoever you like on the ticket. no telling where those delegates would go. some would go to cruz. maybe some would go to donald trump. rubio has made clear that he does not trump. he would like to actively help prevent him from getting the nomination. you go into a contested convention, perhaps, and you have some leverage with
4:44 pm
those delegates to maybe get something out of it or to play a role or keep, you are in the spotlight and attention when you have something to offer. i think that's what he is thinking about. >> with rubio, i mean, i don't know when i listen to. >>this i think everybody in my hometown is saying oh, yeah,xd that's]s6z endorsemen. i mean, playing games.a/a >> slouching a chair. to me that's not endorsement. that's pathetic endorsement. i'm sure ted cruz camp has reached out to rubio for something more emphatic and direct they could blast out to everyone. the cruz camp has not done this. >> all right, caitlin and david, stay right here. by the way, you have been voting at home on twitter tonight. keep voting. do you think the rules are stacked against donald trump? tweet yes or no using #greta. we will show you live votes pittsburgh, pa and massive
4:45 pm
rally for bernie sanders about to kick off live. we will take you life to ope both events next.co( low prices. oh, alright... the lowest price. every time. staples. make more happen. ...to put in dr. scholl's active series insoles. they help reduce wear and tear on my legs, becuase they have triple zone protection. ... and reduce shock by 40%. so i feel like i'm ready to take on anything.
4:46 pm
ram trucks are reaching new heights when it comes to capability and efficiency. the ram heavy duty is the most capable full-sized pickup on the road today. and, the ram 1500 is the most fuel-efficient, full-size pickup. ever. so what does that mean? it means ram trucks give you the best of both worlds.
4:47 pm
so go big. and go far. because the best never rest. man 1: i came as fast as i man 2: this isn't public yet. man 1: what isn't? man 2: we've been attacked. man 1: the network? man 2: shhhh. man 1: when did this happen? man 2: over the last six months. man 1: how did we miss it? man 2: we caught it, just not in time. man 1: who? how? man 2: not sure, probably off-shore, foreign, pros. man 1: what did they get? man 2: what didn't they get. man 1: i need to call mike... man 2: don't use your phone. it's not just security, it's defense. bae systems.
4:48 pm
do you have the courage to stay up all night? because this is our time! the greatest tv week of our lives! ladies and gentlemen, in the business of binge-watching,
4:49 pm
sleep is for the week! so i want you ready to order takeout, every single night! now are you with me? to awesomeness! to watchathon!! big is back. xfinity watchathon week starts april 18. the greatest collection of shows free with xfinity on demand. politico rally donald trump is in pittsburgh and senator bernie sanders is about to begin in new york city. we're going to take youot there: first let's listen to donald trump. >> we won a lot of states wasn't supposed to win. like we won the entire south, you know a little thing like we won the south. alabama, arkansas. so many -- everything. and cruz, lyin' ted was little mishap the "new york times" writes an article today like, you know, negative and i said, well, why don't they mention all the
4:50 pm
they don't do that. they don't talk about that. they never talk about positives. instance, we want to talk about a certain deal 14 years ago this deal didn't -- i said what about all these deals that worked out so great? you know, i built a fortune. well, we are not interested ineo them. we want to talk about something. and i will say but, wait a minute. that's written about 97 times and actually a lot of times by the way you rejigger it turns out to be successful. a really good businessman when the economy crashes big job deal factory or something, the really good ones the ones that good ones take a catastrophe. >> the "on the record" political panel is back. you may have noticed on the screen the protests that are going on outside the trump event. they have been pretty wild. the police seem somewhat engaged. sort of hard to tell. it's opinion pretty wild. caitlin, this is getting to look a little bitgze dangerous. >> right. and i think this is something that republicans
4:51 pm
are really concerned about heading into a convention in cleveland where you can expect a lot of this kind of thing. i mean, it's interesting that donald trump is campaigning in pennsylvania. we have the new york primary next week. it kind of signals that he has that kind of already in his rear view. he thinks he is going to do well there. moving on to pennsylvania. cont. but, especially with all of the, you know, his railing against the rnc about rules and such. i can imagine his supporters being pretty animated inside the hall. i think we will see more protests as he continues through this race. >> the dueling rally tonight. griff talked to someone who said sanders is the only guy who is not sold out and he stood up to banks. and i think to myself, you know, since 1988, he has been in congress. if he did those things like what did he do? and his supporters are so passionate about him that they are happy for his words. >> is he a purest. >> he hasn't -- >> -- it doesn't matter.
4:52 pm
and he is -- he is an outsider compared to hillary. >> in congress since 1988. how could he be an outsider? >> because is he promising free tuition. what kind of politician promises that? that's what is he promising. if you are a purest progressive that's what you want. >> democrats don't see bernie sanders as part of the establishment, right? i think he got his first senate endorsement today from jeff merkley of oregon. and that was big news because he hasn't, you know, gotten anyone in the senate to get behind him. >> but the question that i would have been there since 1988, i have -- you know, what your ideology is, but what have you accomplished? because that's a big deal. it's not just talk, but what have you actually accomplished? >> he helped reform the v.a. there is a bill -- i mean. >> since 1988. he apparently didn't do a good job. maybe he shouldn't have helped reform it because it's not doingqa too well for
4:53 pm
a lot of vets. >> the people are not looking for tangible accomplishments in politics what has ted cruz accomplished? has has donald trump accomplished in politics? >> no, no. the system. that's the entire on both sides -- by both sides of the aisle. >> look at the violence. this is a tape, but look. signs rather crude. just look at this. this is outside the trump rally in pennsylvania. [shouting] police have their work cut out. don't they, caitlin. >> right. i wonder, too. if we are going -- reis seen reince priebus start to weigh in a little bit more. i wonder if is he going to start to talk about this kind of thing. this has to be a concern for them heading into a convention. even if trump's not the nominee, there will be something like this, i'm sure.
4:54 pm
>> panel, thank you very much. and coming up, someone died today. someone you wish you knew. i will tell you off the record next. you are going to be. and on that day you will walk into a room where 15 people will be waiting... 12 behind the sofa, 2 behind the table and 1 and a half behind a curtain. family: surprise! but only one of them will make a life long dream come true. great things are ahead of you when your health is ready for them. at humana, we can help you with a personalized plan for your health for years to come. and you're talking to yourevere rheumatorheumatologistike me, about a biologic... this is humira. this is humira helping to relieve my pain and protect my joints from further damage. this is humira giving me new perspective. doctors have been prescribing humira for ten years. humira works for many adults.
4:55 pm
it targets and helps to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to ra symptoms. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. talk to your doctor and visit humira.com. this is humira at work.
4:56 pm
one...is all it takes...... ...to turn the tables. crest 3d white toothpaste... ...removes 5 times more stains... ...than the red box. for a smile like that, crest 3d white... is the way to whiten.
4:57 pm
[ boss ] it is a very smart plan. so we're all on board? [ paul ] no. this is a stupid plan. hate drama? go to cars.com. research. price. find. only cars.com helps you get the right car without all the drama.
4:58 pm
bernie sanders rally in washington, d.c. square park griff jenkins. griff? >> greta, we're just minutes away from senator sanders taking the stage. why are you supporting sanders. >> because he is the real obama. is he going to provide change that's realistic. it's not a dream. it's something that we should have and that everybody should realize that we can have. >> and there you go. square park. that's all we got. >> griff, thank you very much. >> let's all go off-the-record. sad news for the nation tonight a hero private first class hector, a medal of honor recipient has died. he received that medal for
4:59 pm
selfless bravery in the korean war. private first class caferata was 86 years old. as the nation mourns the loss of this great hoe. i want to find some special way to honor him. he deserves a shoutout and a salute. what better way to honor them than to show a video that i'm confident he would approve: check this out. this is 2-year-old sawyer had who just landed at the houston airport and after spotting those in uniform started shaking hands with them. the video was posted on youtube by sawyer's uncle chris frederick and the video is now going viral as it should. so tonight we show you this video in the name of and in honor of private first class hector caferata. a great man. i bet if he could tonight he would ask the rest of us to learn from sawyer. that's my off-the-record comment tonight. live twitter results on your screen right now. do you think the rules are
5:00 pm
stacked against donald trump? here are the results. 28% sayk no. 72% say yes. that's all for now. see you again tomorrow night right here at 7:00 p.m. good night from new york city. ♪ ♪ "the o'reilly factor" is on. tonight. >> our republican system is absolutely rigid. >> bad news for the republican party. donald trump saying he is not getting a fair shake at the nomination tonight we will take a hard look at that<  accusation and the damage to the g.o.p. >> america's long struggle with racism is far from finished. and we are seeing that in this election. >> hillary clinton's addressing al sharpton's crew tonight. ed henry was there. úqfhñ also ahead, hundreds of thousands of american teachers being assaulted in classrooms. and little is being done about

34 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on