Skip to main content

tv   Americas Newsroom With Bill Hemmer and Martha Mac Callum  FOX News  July 6, 2016 6:00am-8:01am PDT

6:00 am
veronica. >> happy birthday! we're so grateful. >> happy birthday, mom. >> happy birthday, mom. >> paula dean, thank you so much. >> i want to wish everybody a happy national bill: the fallout from the f.b.i.'s decision not to go after hillary clinton. james comey may testify before congress as early as tomorrow. martha: welcome back. you have got a lot of headlines on your newspapers. the front panel of the "new york post," "hillary skates. clinton gets away with
6:01 am
it/again." james comey said she was extremely care less in the way she handled sensitive and classified information. bill: comey described everything she did wrong, then recommending against charges. critics then venting their frustration. >> the f.b.i. is to present the fact pattern to the department of justice, it is not to make a determination on what a reasonable prosecutor would do. the point is she clearly lives above the law. she is going to get away with this in the sense she grossly was negligent. she mishandled classified information, now she is going to get away with it.
6:02 am
>> based on what everybody said, i thought she was guilty. and it turns out we are not going to press charge. it's amazing. but i'll tell you, we have a rigged system, folks. martha: that will and theme you will hear a lot of. we begin with peter doocy live in raleigh, north carolina. donald trump did not hold back with his reaction to this news: >> he's accusing loretta lynch and hillary clinton in engaging in bribery. trump said he believes reports that the clinton campaign put out allegedly that she is considering keeping loretta lynch on as attorney general if she wins the white house were only leaks to keep the candidate out of trouble.
6:03 am
>> if she wins, she is going to consider extending the attorney general. i'm not saying how can you say that? it's a bribe. reporter: the attack continued on twitter a half-hour ago. goat crooked hillary lied to the american people. she is so guilty, but watch, her time will come. trump concluded that america's enemies have blackmail material on hillary clinton and he said last night that disqualifies her from becoming president, martha. martha: he alleged that the white house had a hand in getting hillary off the hook, right? reporter: he said repeatedly thanked comey's statement yesterday shows the system is
6:04 am
rigged for hillary clinton. now he says the white house has a hand in it because they like hillary clinton the best. the question now becomes what is hillary hiding. trump had a capacity crowd at the memorial auditorium and they were as excited as any one * at the primary trump events. >> 110 emails in 52 seem chains have been determined by the owning agency to contain classified information. there is evidence that they were extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive
6:05 am
highly classified information. that any reasonable person in secretary clinton's position or in the position of those with whom he was corresponding about those matters should have known an unclassified system was no place for that information because all of these emails were housed on unclassified personal servers, not even supported by full-time security staff like those found at agencies or departments or even a commercial server like gmail. it's possible hackers accessed the email. bill: you argue hillary clinton got what they wanted. legally? or did she? reporter: legally she got what
6:06 am
she wanted. but on the political side, this is a pot of garbage. you heard paul ryan on the kelly file talking about i don't know how the f.b.i. came to this conclusion, so now let's pick up what he said. let -- the republicans can pick up what the f.b.i. said and make damning ads and accusations against her, and that really hurts. bill: let's talk about trump's response. just use the facts. just listen what comey said. you have got 110 emails containing classified information marked at the time they were received and sent. reporter: trump is discrediting comey and alleging widespread corruption and further criminal activity by the attorney general and making a broader claim that
6:07 am
the government is so corrupt that james comey is sow corrupt. you can't accuse someone of massive corruption of the kind trump is accusing comey, then use his stuff. you can't say these good points he made, he's so corrupt. bill: clinton says, we are pleased the career officials handling the case have determined no further action is necessary. it was a mistake for her to use her personal email and she would do it again. democrats are saying at least she wasn't indicted. one said she was doing 67 in a 65-mile zone. it's over. reporter: the reality for hillary clinton is this stinks. she did what the people always
6:08 am
accuse the clintons of doing, which is she went right to the edge of what you can get away with doing. got a members bounce on the side of the green and got away with it. it does nothing good for her. it does nothing positive for her. she just avoided total calamity. martha: house speaker paul ryan says the house oversight committee will hold hearings on the email investigation and the f.b.i. should hand over all their finding. they want to see the transcript of the conversation the f.b.i. had with hillary clinton. f.b.i. director james comey could testify before the congress committee as early as tomorrow we are hearing. here is the speaker last night on the kellyfile. >> the government oversight
6:09 am
committee will be calling up james comey to ask questions. our judiciary committee sent a number of questions. martha: jason chaffetz will be here on "america's newsroom" at the bottom of the hour. james comey essentially said hillary clinton slide. did she lie when she spoke to the f.b.i.? if she did, that's another ball of wax. bill: president obama hitting the trail yesterday for the first time with hillary clinton. they went upon board air force one. knight for one of them made any mention of the findings on the server. but here is what he stead on "fox news sunday" back in april. >> hillary clinton was scene outstanding secretary of state. she would never intentionally
6:10 am
put america in any kinds of jeopardy. i continue to believe she did not jeopardize america's national security. way also said and she acknowledged, there was a carelessness in terms of managing emails that she has owned, and she recognizes. bill: you think about the oval office in january, 2009. she signed a non-disclosure form that said if she mishandled classified information she would be prosecuted for it. she signed that form in order to work as secretary of state. martha: if you listen to what the president said there, it's essentially james comey's argument in a nutshell. the president laid out back in april what james comey summarized yesterday. he said she would never intentionally jeopardize national security, and yes, she
6:11 am
was careless. those are the two basic seeds of what comey said yesterday and the president said it back in april. take away from that what you will. we have much more on the fallout. you have heard from republican lawmakers and the gop presumptive nominee donald trump. how does this work out politically for the republican party? does it bring them together? we'll talk with ryan is prebus coming up the on how ready they are, 10 or 11 days away. >> i was particularly distressed that he said there was no intention to violate the law when the laws involved don't require an intention to violate the law. bill: that's a former southern general taking issue with the reasons the f.b.i. director laid
6:12 am
out. bill: comey claimed no reasonable prosecutor would bring charges in the this matter. >> we cannot find a case that what support bringing criminal charges on these facts. for as long as i can. new patented ensure enlive has hmb plus 20 grams of protein to help rebuild muscle. for the strength and energy to do what you love. new ensure enlive. always be you.
6:13 am
6:14 am
6:15 am
(climbing sounds when kevin jorgeson needs light, he trusts duracell quantum because it lasts longer. ♪ (duracell slamtones) martha: oscar pistorius will get 6 years in prison for the murder
6:16 am
of his girlfrien girl from frie. he claimed it was an accident and he mistook her for an intruder. >> while there is evidence of potential violations of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information, our judgment is no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case. bill: that comment got the attention of my next guest in a significant way. does alberto gonzalez agree with that? no prosecutor would pursue this case. >> i think we saw jim comey taking off his director's hat and putting on a prosecutor's
6:17 am
hat. daring any attorney general to disagree with him. because if you do disagree with him, then you are being very unreasonable. bill: i heard from three prosecutors in new york city yesterday saying they would gladly bring it in front of a grand jury. >> prosecutorsway different evidence and -- prosecutors weigh evident differently. it's likely he would find a prosecutor who would move forward to the grand jury. i would like to see the evidence. but based on what's in the public domain i can see why americans are frustrated and disgusted with what we saw yesterday. bill: 152 emails in 8 email
6:18 am
chains contain classified information. >> i want to go by the evidence. i want to sit down with the investigators. the job of the f.b.i. is to investigate and present the evidence. then the prosecutors, the attorney general, the head of the criminal decision, they are the ones who make the decision on whether to move forward. bill: should he have referred this case to the department of justice? >> the normal protocol is the evidence would be presented to the prosecutors at the department of justice. oftentimes you ask the f.b.i. agents involved if you have a recommendation on whether the prosecution should go forward. but it's up to the prosecutors whether there should be an indictment.
6:19 am
the federal standard is a probability a crime has occurred based upon the evidence given to you by the f.b.i. bill: have you heard of brian nishimura. he pled guilty for unauthorized removal of classified materials. they found classified materials in his house. she had a private server in her home. please explain to our audience what in the world is the difference? >> that will be the responsibility of the f.b.i. director when he appears before congress. he didn't take questions or provide answers to those kinds of questions. i'm sure there are millions of americans who are puzzled about what that answer might be. >> you know andrew mccarthy the former u.s. attorney. he said in order to give hillary
6:20 am
clinton a pass, the director rewrote the statute, inserting an intent element that congress did not require. people never intend the bad things that happen due to gross negligence. >> the attorney general could still decide to move forward with an indictment. i think jim comey has locked her into a position. if she moves forward with an indictment that calls into question jim comey's credibility and judgment. that one statement in my judgment was very, very troubling. bill: you think he has the ability to november but he won't. bill: you just said james comey has the authority down the road to bring charges. >> no, no, no.
6:21 am
ultimately -- the attorney general loretta lynch, despite the recommendations of the f.b.i. wants to move forward, if she believes there is enough here. bill: she already said she would rely on the career prosecutors. >> from my reading of what's reported, the department of justice said ultimately she'll make this decision. i think she backtracked from that initial statement. the way this traditionally works is the f.b.i. presents the evidence and the f.b.i. and the prosecutors make the decision whether to move forward. bill: thank you. martha: more information on the murder of an american student in italy as his parents arrive in the country following the tragic news of his death. >> he had a magnetic personality. he was captivating. he could basically get along with anyone and was super like
6:22 am
helpful and selfless and wanted to be a good guy to everyone. you pay your car insurance premium like clockwork. month after month. year after year. then one night, you hydroplane into a ditch. yeah... surprise... your insurance company tells you to pay up again. why pay for insurance if you have to pay even more for using it? if you have liberty mutual deductible fund™, you could pay no deductible at all. sign up to immediately lower your deductible by $100.
6:23 am
and keep lowering it $100 annually, until it's gone. then continue to earn that $100 every year. there's no limit to how much you can earn and this savings applies to every vehicle on your policy. call to learn more. switch to liberty mutual and you could save up to $509. call liberty mutual for a free quote today at >>
6:24 am
great time for a shiny floor wax, no? not if you just put the finishing touches on your latest masterpiece. timing's important. comcast business knows that. that's why you can schedule an installation at a time that works for you. even late at night, or on the weekend, if that's what you need. because you have enough to worry about.
6:25 am
i did not see that coming. don't deal with disruptions. get better internet installed on your schedule. comcast business. built for business. by pope francis meeting with the parent of a 19-year-old american who was killed in rome. solomon was reported missing only hours after he touched down in the country of italy. his body was found in a river in rome. a homeless man has been detained as a suspect in his murder. martha: my daughter just studied in the same school and just got back two weeks ago. they have had problems with
6:26 am
petty theft, muggings. this is a tough story and we send them our love. back to the political scene as donald trump is set to release details of his lineup for the republican con deck. james rosen is in our d.c. bureau with more. so many names have been thrown out about who is going to appear at the convention. what have you found? reporter: it's only 12 days out from the opening gavel. the rnc says it's on schedule. it's taking place on a compressed timeline because the
6:27 am
cavs made the playoffs. and the convention is earlier this year. scott walker could not name a single person other than he and donald trump, nor a single musician. trump said he wouldn't allow a speaking role for ted cruz or john kasich if neither man endorses him. however, the rnc is promoting a new app by which users can receive live updates and watch the whole thing in 360. martha: the movement to deprive donald trump of the mom nation is still out there. >> it's a feature of this convention that everyone has been expecting. the so-called dump trump
6:28 am
movement never put forward a viable candidate. those forces are hoping to use the rules committee or some other mechanism to keep trump from getting the nomination. >> in many state it's statutory. some states it's backed by a criminal statute with a criminal misdemeanor. there is a criminal oath statement where you swear and affirm that's what you are going to do. there are a number of repercussions to the process. >> the rnc has a month to put this together. they insist they are on schedule. and they will send their nominee into the general. james, thank you. good to see you.
6:29 am
bill: we are hearing we may hear from the head of the f.b.i. tomorrow as soon as tomorrow. jason cha ge -- jason cha chaffg by with the questions he wants to ask. ll my options with my doctor, who recommended once-daily toujeo®. now i'm on the path to better blood sugar control. toujeo® is a long-acting insulin from the makers of lantus®. it releases slowly, providing consistent insulin levels for a full 24 hours, proven full 24-hour blood sugar control, and significant a1c reduction. and along with toujeo®, i'm eating better and moving more. toujeo® is a long-acting, man-made insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults with diabetes. it contains 3 times as much insulin
6:30 am
in 1 milliliter as standard insulin. don't use toujeo® to treat diabetic ketoacidosis, during episodes of low blood sugar, or if you're allergic to insulin. allergic reaction may occur and may be life threatening. don't reuse needles or share insulin pens, even if the needle has been changed. the most common side effect is low blood sugar, which can be serious and life threatening. it may cause shaking, sweating, fast heartbeat, and blurred vision. check your blood sugar levels daily while using toujeo®. injection site reactions may occur. don't change your dose or type of insulin without talking to your doctor. tell your doctor if you take other medicines and about all your medical conditions. insulins, including toujeo®, in combination with tzds (thiazolidinediones) may cause serious side effects like heart failure that can lead to death, even if you've never had heart failure before. don't dilute or mix toujeo® with other insulins or solutions as it may not work as intended and you may lose blood sugar control, which could be serious. toujeo® helps me stay on track with my blood sugar. ask your doctor about toujeo®.
6:31 am
6:32 am
americans are buying more and more of everything online. and so many businesses rely on the united states postal service to get it there. because when you ship with us, your business becomes our business. that's why we make more ecommerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. the united states postal service. priority: you bill: in what tn rouge -- in baton rouge, louisiana, a suspect is shot and killed sparking outrange.
6:33 am
the head of louisiana's naacp says baton rouge's police chief should be fired or resign. we'll bring you update when we get it. martha: house republicans asking questions one day after james comey said his agency would not recommend charges against hillary clinton. we are now learning that james comey could be testifying in congress as early as tomorrow. what has the communication been with james comey about this hearing, and when do you expect it to happen? >> i had a conversation with him followed up by a text interaction with him. we invited him to participate. we indicated the best time for
tv-commercial tv-commercial
6:34 am
him would be thursday. thursday at 10:00 a.m. we should have the f.b.i. director before the oversight committee. martha: the back and forth will be the under pinning of some of the questions. let's watch the discrepancies between these two accounts. >> i never sent or received any classified material. they are retroactively classifying it. >> 110 emails in 52 email chains have been determined by the owning agency to contain classified information at the time they were sent or received. >> well, it was allowed and the rules have been clarified since i left about the practice. >> none of these emails should have been on any kind of unclassified system. they were extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information. >> it had numerous safeguards. it was on property guarded by the secret service and there were no security breaches.
6:35 am
>> we assess it is possible hostile actors gained access to secretary clinton's email account. martha: there are a lot of discrepancies in those accounts. where do you want to start with director comey. >> there are numerous accounts from secretary clinton that were dispelled by the f.b.i. director. i would like to know the difference between carelessness and negligence. the director frequently referred to intent. but that's not in the statute. if you are grossly negligent in the handling of classified information based on the fact pattern director laid out, she was. why is that different? and why did he use the word "careless." and what's the difference. martha: he used that phrase clearly. i look forward to seeing the
6:36 am
testimony as i'm sure you all do because he seems to want have much to get as much out there as he can. he did not take questions after the news conference which has been his way in previous appearances. he's usually happy to take questions. it's encouraging he says he's happy to show up and take your questions thursday. what about the transcript of the conversation the f.b.i. had with hillary clinton over the weekend? >> i think the matter is closed from the f.b.i.'s perspective and they are recommending no prosecution. there is no reason for the f.b.i. to with hold information. i think the american people deserve to be able to see this. we are different in this nation. we are open and transparent. if somebody is dealing in classified information for years on time and putting people in harm's way, and yet still not prosecuted, the law probably
6:37 am
needs to be updated or they are not properly applying the law. >> i think it would be of great interest to know whether hillary clinton said in her testimony with the f.b.i. that she had never sent or received any classified information. because that would constitute being misleading to the f.b.i. during an investigation. no? >> yes. politicians will make statement that sometimes prove to be inaccurate false or a lie. but there are things secretary clinton has said under oath and there are things she may or may not have said to investigators along the way that i think are fair game. she created this problem. it wasn't republicans. she created this convenient email server with herself in her own home. and i think that goes to the intent. i want to ask the director, what was the intent. why did she set this up?
6:38 am
my recollection is she set this up on the very day she started her senate confirmation. she could have easily had a government account. but she decided to have her own. martha: people at home watch this and say it's over. forget by the, move on.legally ? >> we have a lot more questions. ultimately the jury is the american public. you see this in benghazi where she told the truth to the egyptians and told the truth to her daughter, but she lied to the american people. she mislead the american people on these emails. america should go into this with eyes wide open on how she communicates in her version of an open and transparent way. between the attorney general and the f.b.i. director, you will find what she said and what she
6:39 am
did were two totally different things. martha: there is some suggestion that loretta lynch and her discussion with bill clinton on the plane and perhaps the message from d.o.j. that they needed just a little bit more to go on from the f.b.i. how much do you want to get there. >> i would love to ask the director. he started his comments by saying he did not know what they were going to say. we are going to have a couple of different opportunities to ask people under oath what happened and what didn't happen. i particularly want to know from the director, he indicated there was purposeful destruction of the hardware housing this by the attorneys. what's the consequence of that? to do it intentionally so it couldn't be put back together? that's pretty troubling.
6:40 am
martha: he said there is no precedence to set the precedence for what's allowed. congressman chaffetz, thank you so much. we look forward to it. see you next time. bill: the reaction has been one of stunned outrage after police fatally shot an african-american father of five at a convenience store in baton rouge, louisiana. apparently the incident has been caught on cell phone sterling. he was shot as was pinned to the ground, and there has been protests and outrage as a result. the police department in baton rouge said uniformed officers responded to a call late monday, early tuesday morning about a black male in a redshirt selling cds and reportedly threatened the caller with a gun.
6:41 am
two officers have been placed on administrative leave. sterling died from multiple gun shot wounds to the chest and the back. we'll let you know what couples in the headlines that will follow. martha: hillary clinton's campaign responding to the f.b.i.'s decision saying this puts the email controversy to rest. bill: donald trump says the system is all rigged. will the voters see it the same way? >> we have got hillary clinton who is weak, who is ineffective, she'll never be able to do the job, her judgment is horrible. on my long-term control medicine.
6:42 am
i talked to my doctor and found a missing piece in my asthma treatment with breo. once-daily breo prevents asthma symptoms. breo is for adults with asthma not well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. breo won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. breo opens up airways to help improve breathing for a full 24 hours. breo contains a type of medicine that increases the risk of death from asthma problems and may increase the risk of hospitalization in children and adolescents. breo is not for people whose asthma is well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. once your asthma is well controlled, your doctor will decide if you can stop breo and prescribe a different asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. do not take breo more than prescribed. see your doctor if your asthma does not improve or gets worse. ask your doctor if 24-hour breo could be a missing piece for you. see if you're eligible for 12 months free at mybreo.com.
6:43 am
6:44 am
6:45 am
martha: we are awaiting a news conference by house gop leaders. it comes one day afterred the f.b.i. director spoke out strongly about hillary clinton transmitting classified information which she absolutely did while she was secretary of state. bill: more on the fallout from the f.b.i. not to pursue criminal charges. trump repeated that system is rigged. >> she made great mistakes and it sounded like there was no choice but to convict or go to some form of very harsh punishment. and they didn't do that. i can tell you everybody was stunned at the end. if you listen to it, it sounds like she had horrible judgment. she didn't know what she was
6:46 am
doing. bill: . david, how much does this hurt hillary clinton? >> i have to tell you i was not jumping for joy when i was listening to that conference, i was hanging my helped low. but when made me look up is when donald trump attacked the f.b.i. director and said it was a bribe. all he had to do is keep his mouth shut. this man is against the rule of law and he's dangerous. bill: he's saying the system is stacked against you. >> he's attacking the f.b.i. director. bill: i understand your position. politically, senator, how much does this hurt hillary clinton?
6:47 am
>> of course it does. there is two situations, if you are a soldier or low-level government official you will lose your security clearance and lose your job and potentially go to jail. but if you are part of the political elite in washington and do what you did, it's okay. so there are two sets of rules. when i was listen together director whom i have a tremendous amount of respect for and i thought he was laying out the case. conscious disregard to use reasonable care. he needs to answer some questions and explain better to the american people what the situation is. bill: we talked about the legal implications, but i want to keep it on thepolitics. here is president obama fresh off air force one with hillary clinton when he said this in charlotte.
6:48 am
>> there has never been any man or woman more qualified for this office than hillary clinton. ever. and that's the truth. bill: in january of 2009, she signed a non-disclosure agreement where she agreed to protect highly classified information. that's what she needed to do at a minimum as secretary of state. failure to do so could result in criminal prosecution. that's what the paper says that she signed. so the facts are the f.b.i. director said yesterday. 110 emails, 52 email chains contain classified information at the time of transmission. how does that make her the most qualified man or woman to ever purchase sue the white house.
6:49 am
david? >> bill o'reilly on fox news said a couple weeks ago, when the f.b.i. comes out with its decision it's the end of the matter. and he said it on his show last night with donald trump. you have republicans saying that all up until yesterday, now they have done a complete 180 saying we didn't mean it. now we want to talk about it some more. just like with bill clinton where the republicans can't help themselves, they take it one step too far. bill: that wasn't the question. >> here is the point. you are asking about the political fallout. what we did learn is that she lied about having one server and multiple servers. we also learned she lied because she never sent. she sent over 100.
6:50 am
i said on your show and we talked about it before, someone in your position should have known what she was doing and sending and receiving was classified. so what the american pup publice american public have to decide whether this rises to the pattern of lying and deceitfulness which i guess according to our president makes her the most qualified person to run for president. that's a joke. bill: i want you both to come back next week. i'm out of town for now, but thank you for your time. martha: in just a few minutes we'll get reaction from rnc chairman reince priebus. we'll be right back.
6:51 am
6:52 am
6:53 am
6:54 am
bill: we'll see the president in 30 minutes from now. he's set to deliver are statement on afghanistan. at 10:25 eastern time. what they will say, we do not know. it will be in the briefing room of the white house at 10:25 eastern time on america's newsroom. martha: former uk prime minister tony blair denies a key claim there was a rush to war in iraq. he says the world he believes is a better place because saddam hussein is gone. and gregg palkot is live with us from london.
6:55 am
what more has tony blair had to say. reporter: the report was 7 years in the making, $13 million. all about the uk involvement with the u.s. in the war on iraq. it was fine that the war was based on flawed intelligence, inadequate planning and it failed to achieve it objectives. >> the judgments about the severity of the threat posed by iraq's weapons of mass destruction were presented with a certainty that was not justified. despite explicit warnings, the consequences of the invasion were underestimated. reporter: much of the focus of the report had to do with former uk prime minister tony blair and his relationship with president
6:56 am
bush. blair and the war itself has been widely criticized by the british public. some hoped the report would provide a legal basis for action against tony blair. it does not according to it authors. tony blair has been speaking for the past several minutes. he says today he would make the decision to go to war in good faith for what he believed was . bill: we are awaiting the house speaker to peak about the f.b.i. director's decision not to recommend charges. the president screen right is going to talk about afghanistan in the next 30 minutes. hillary clinton talk about how
6:57 am
she plans to take on donald trump today in a speech in atlantic city, nnl *. all that's coming up.
6:58 am
6:59 am
. . . .
7:00 am
martha: busy morning. a lot happening in washington this morning, watching two big stories. president obama is about to make a statement 25 minutes from now about the war in afghanistan. he will deliver that at 10:25. the early word he will go into whether or not he will further reduce the number of u.s. troops in afghanistan. so we'll bring you that. we're watching capitol hill. republican leaders are expecting to speak at any moment following fbi leader jim comey will not recommend charges against hillary clinton and discovery she sent classified emails back
7:01 am
and forth potentially exposed the server that is detrimental to national security. you have all of that this think about. this is "america's newsroom." i'm martha maccallum. bill: james comey calling clinton's actions careless and but difficult to prove the case. house oversight committee chair jason chaffetz a bit earlier on our program hopes to have director comey on the hill answering questions tomorrow. >> i would really like to know the difference between carelessness and negligence because the director frequently referred to intent but that is not in the statute. you don't, if you are grossly negligent in the handling of classified information, which clearly based on the fact pattern that the director laid out, she was, why is that different? bill: so day two now. chief intelligence catherine herridge live in d.c. good morning to you. you had a lot of work yesterday and last night.
7:02 am
what do we have today? where do we start? reporter: in addition to house republican oversight the chairman of the house judiciary committees with direct responsibility for the fbi are calling on director comey to answer more questions about the clinton probe and make all the evidence public. senator chuck grassley issuing this statement last night, reads in part, even director comey said there should be extraordinary transparency. more than giving the public brief summary of the facts. should include the actual evidence that the public make educated decision on its own about the judgment and decision making of all senior officials involved. congressman goodlatte spoke to comey after yesterday's public statement at fbi headquarters. house judiciary chairman sent a follow up letter with questions focused on how comey reach addition against prosecution for gross negligence when comey said there was evidence of wrongdoing. clinton and her aides he said, showed, quote, extreme carelessness in handling of classified information, bill.
7:03 am
bill: the response is what, catherine. >> three current or former fbi agents told fox news they were surprised even disgusted by the director's statement. one agent recently retired said it is sad day when it comes to the integrity. bureau. last night on a "the kelly file," former assistant fbi director in new york also responded. >> i talked to two prosecutors today. actually they would take that case in a heartbeat. i talked to about 15 different agents both on the job and outside of the job are, you know, basically worried about the reputation of the agency they love. reporter: the fbi director also confirmed yesterday they found thousands of emails that were never turned over by clinton and her lawyers including cheryl mills. these individuals, he said did not read the emails before deleting them. they relied instead of subject line headers in searching for key words. >> with respect to the thousands of emails we found that were not among those produced to the state department, agencies have concluded three of those were
tv-commercial
7:04 am
classified at the time they were sent or received. one at the secret level, and two at the confidential level. reporter: mills's role as witness and lawyer is under fresh scrutiny today because it seems to pose considerable obstacles to uncovering truth about clinton's emails. just a few weeks ago when we asked director comey whether there would be special rules for individuals involved in this case, he assured us there were no special rules for anyone under fbi investigation, bill. bill: now we know, 10 a.m. tomorrow, eastern time. jason chaffetzing up that committee. james comey will be there. we'll have live coverage 24 hours from now. thank you, catherine herridge. reporter: you're welcome. martha: donald trump saying the clinton decision proves in his mind that the system, is quote rigged. his campaign released a new video using fbi director james comey to attack clinton's credibility. here is that. >> i did not send or receive any information that was marked classified at the time.
7:05 am
>> 110 emails in 52 email chains have been determined by the owning agency to contain classified information at the time they were sent or received. >> at the time. >> at the time. they were sent or received. martha: stunning. republican national committee also released a video claiming that the findings by the fbi prove that clinton was deliberately lying about her emails. here's that. >> do you think it posed a national security problem? >> i don't think it posed a national security problem. >> she also used her personal email extensively outside of the united states including sending and receiving work-related emails in the territory of sophisticated adversaries. martha: joining us now, rnc chair reince priebus. good morning. good to have you with us this morning. reince, do you hear me okay. >> can't hear. martha: uh-oh, we have a little audio problem. we'll try to get that fixed in just a moment. but in the meantime it raises a lot of questions how this will
7:06 am
be exploited and used by the rnc. they, many did not get the outcome they wanted. they expected and hoped that was indictment coming. when they herd james comey beginning those comments yesterday, but in the end, this is a question we'll put to reince priebus, politically does it help donald trump that hillary clinton is the candidate that he is up against and that james comey laid out an enormous amount of detail and evidence against her that will clearly be used in these ads? bill: what priebus said, he said it last night, for 16 months the story it was not marked at time, comey clearly contradicted that yesterday. martha: absolutely. bill: he will come up in a moment here. we'll get back to reince priebus and get all the connections sorted out and get that straightened away. don't move on that. we have breaking news out of louisiana. we'll get to that now. there is outrage, protests over deadly police shooting in baton rouge, louisiana. several hundred protesters outside of a convenience store where police shot and killed a
7:07 am
man 36 hours ago. police say alton sterling was selling cds and a had a gun. two police officers confronted him. they escalated in sterling being shot. his family held a news conference. they are demanding answers. >> i really want to know more about what happened, about the whole situation because, my brother didn't deserve this he didn't deserve it at all, not one bit. you know. i think that the law was actually messed up. bill: casey stiegel on the story. live in dallas, texas, watching the briefing last hour. what was said there and what are police saying, casey? reporter: bill, good morning to you. first we start with the baton rouge police department said a full investigation is now underway, you however the names of those go officers involved in this shooting are not being released at this point. eyewitnesses capturing this whole thing on cell phone video, on nearly 50-second long clip
7:08 am
you can hear one officer yelling get on the ground. another officer seen pulling the man's left arm down. his right arm, not visible in the video. then you hear another officer saying, he has got a gun. the owner of that convenience store, says he saw police pull a gun out of 37-year-old alton sterling's pocket after he was shot. he also said that the police tried tasing the suspect before they pulled their weapons. sterling's family says baton rouge police took away a man with children, who quote, depended on their daddy every day. leaves behind five children, all 15 years old or younger. bill: more to come on that story. thanks, casey stiegel. stay on it. when there are headlines we'll bring it back. casey stiegel live at the press conference. more to come on that story. we'll figure out on the facts are. martha: we learned in the past you have to walk through the facts one at a time. that is what we're in the
7:09 am
process of doing right now. meantime fbi decision getting backlash from former attorney general, here's that. >> these are emails the state department said will never be disclosed. she was extremely careless in handling those. that's enough to establish gross negligence. martha: tough to square these things. fbi director james comey said they found no criminal intent but does intent matter in that statute? and he said, that she was grossly negligent in the way she handled that. bill: also donald trump making the rounds and meeting with potential running mates. who will be his vp pick? then there is this today. [gunfire] martha: a new debate over potentially dangerous drones created by a college student. >> it's a fun hobby. and there is nothing inherently bad about it. it is an enjoyable hobby. you don't let anything keep you sidelined.
7:10 am
that's why you drink ensure. with 9 grams of protein and 26 vitamins and minerals. for the strength and energy to get back to doing... ...what you love. ensure. always be you.
7:11 am
7:12 am
7:13 am
bill: here is what we understand the president it about to do at the white house there with regard to troop deployments there in afghanistan. kevin corke reports the president will talk about the ongoing strategy and will discuss troop levels including a plan to leave additional u.s. forces in afghanistan above the level previously planned. there was a plan by the start of next year to reduce the level to
7:14 am
5500. currently there is 9800. apparently a lot of generals and diplomats to forget about that idea, warning it could undermine the fight against afghan taliban and elements of al qaeda in that country. we'll see what he says. coming up in a matter of eight minutes on the schedule. 10:25 eastern time from the white house. martha: we're also just getting word this morning that attorney general lynch will testify before the house judiciary committee. that is going to happen on july the 12th. fbi director james comey as we brought you last hour he will testify before the oversight committee. that happens tomorrow at 10:00 a.m., which we will of course bring you here live on "america's newsroom." so all of this comes after james comey found that clinton and her team were negligent in handling classified information but they did not recommend charges saying that there was no intention to violate any laws. on last night's "on the record," former attorney general michael
7:15 am
mukasey said he was very disturbinged by the reasoning of the director. >> he said there was no intention to violate the law when the laws involved don't require intention to violate the law. one has the felony statute, has a standard of gross negligence. and he said that she showed gross negligence when he said she was extremely careless in handling information. some of which was at the top, most, classification. martha: joining me now, thomas dupree, jr., former deputy assistant attorney general. good to have you here this morning, sir. that is the big question. when you look at the felony statute, the bar that has to be met for a prosecutor is that there was negligence, gross negligence in the handling of the information and director comey clearly said that existed. >> that is what is puzzling about this, martha, is that he laid out all the facts explaining the evidence that would potentially support a charge of finding gross negligence but then at last
7:16 am
minute the conclusion he reached didn't quite square with the fact he laid them out where he wasn't going to recommend charges. what is puzzling, mystifying about the director's statement yesterday there is a disconnect between the facts and evidence as he found them and his ultimate recommendation to the attorney general. martha: it is interesting because he puts it in the context of similar situations in the past. i want to read a little bit what he said about that because it goes to his decision not to prosecute. and he said similar situations in the past clearly were intention and willful mishandling of classified information, or, quote, vast quantities, which i thought was very interesting because he definitely laid out the case that she intended and mishandled that she mishandled the classified information, but then he goes to the issue of quantity, there wasn't enough happening to be a problem. what do you make of those assessments? >> more puzzles for us to solve. as to the quantity issue, we're talking about hundreds,
7:17 am
thousands of emails here, it is possible what he was getting at relatively speaking small number that had words classified on it. it is possible that is what he was getting at. what he left here there are different standards employed. he forced general petraeus to plead to charge of mishandling classified information. hillary clinton gets off scot-free and question whether they are applying law equally. martha: hard to understand why number would matter. there were 100 plus that were classified when she transmitted them, seven were top secret that you couldn't release to the investigation of anybody. so the quantity issue seems a little odd to me. if there is one or two pieces of information in the top secret information that you have put at risk, seems like it meets the measure. so i guess my question for you is, why? why do you think given all of the evidence that he presented he chose not to indict?
7:18 am
>> well, he explained it as you said saying there wasn't intent to do it may be politically satisfactory reason in his mind not to do it but a legal perspective that is not a basis declining to indict. he may have thought there wasn't sufficient amount of classified material at issue. the evidence cuts against hillary clinton. massive amounts of information put on server, accessible to the public, accessible to our enemies and even the director acknowledged some of these emails were extremely secret, the highest level of classification. so when you look at all the facts and evidence that he marshalled and that the investigative team marshalled, doesn't quite square up with the ultimate recommendation. martha: do you think he did that because he thought the department of justice wouldn't go forward with it, that it would create a conflict? >> well it is possible. i'll tell youing, this would be a lot easier to accept if it hadn't been prefaced by the president's publicly stating he
7:19 am
thought this whole email flap was much ado about nothing, if it wasn't prefaced by bill clinton's heavy-handed egregiously improper attempt to lobby the attorney general. when you see all those things leading up to the recommendation, leaves you with a sour taste. i'm happy that the director and attorney general will testify before congress to explain this decision in more detail and what led them to their conclusions. >> that environment certainly made it very difficult for them to do their job and he really commended the thousands of hours of work that went into this by the fbi and you can only wonder what their reaction is, people must be devastated some of them who worked so hard on this case and briefed that they may have found evidence but, thank you, tom dupree. good to see you as always. >> great, thanks, martha. martha: you bet. bill: this is another thing in the hopper. we're watching house speaker paul ryan. he has not yet addressed comey's decision. if there are comments relative we will bring them to you. he issued a stinging statement in the moments after comey's
7:20 am
decision. he was on with meghan last night. we'll see what he has to say. we're awaiting the president on announcement of troop deployment in afghanistan. don't move.
7:21 am
7:22 am
7:23 am
bill: couple significant headlines. president will be out in a moment. we expect him at 10:25 eastern time. two minutes from now. we'll see if that is on time. appearing with ash carter, defense secretary. we'll get word about troop deployments in afghanistan. whatever that decision, we await the headline. we'll bring it to you live. stand by on that. martha: we sure will. we got reince priebus back on the line. we can hear him and he can hear us we hope. good morning. good to have you with us. >> hey, good morning, martha. martha: yesterday, it looked like a pretty good day for hillary clinton campaign.
7:24 am
she was out there campaigning with president obama. raising their joined arms together and they'ring with the crowd. got good news obviously no indictment against her coming from the fbi or didn't recommend that. what kind of day was it for donald trump yesterday? >> well i thought it was a good day in the sense that it was very clear that all of the lies of hillary clinton came crumbling down and she was exposed as being a liar about so many things in regard to her email, classified information. it wasn't a good day i thought for the department of justice and fbi. i'm sitting there watching james comey thinking that he was actually reading through the jury instructions of gross negligence only to find that after he laid out a textbook case for any law student on gross negligence, that in fact, he did a turnabout and said, well he doesn't recommend charges which is real head-scratcher and really a great unknown as to how you could lay out the case perfectly
7:25 am
for highly-unreasonable behavior which would trick grows negligence and turn around and say, sigh i'm not recommending gross negligence, when you have case after case after case of people fined, sentenced, court-martialed that have done far list without intent by the way, without intent. martha: all right. >> they have been so, it is an amazing thing. unbelievable. martha: politically you're days away, a week away from rolling out gavel and rolling out beginning of the republican convention in cleveland. are you guys ready? how does this news sort of weigh in when got unfavorable numbers so high for both candidates on either side? >> well, i think win of the things that has plagued hillary clinton she not to be trusted, she is dishonest and she lies and all of those things are bearing fruit. obviously we want to build up
7:26 am
our positives on the side of the aisle, but when you have a known commodity like hillary clinton suck in the ditch politically, i'm speaking politically now, that is a huge vulnerability for them. number one you do have the highlight problems that hillary clinton brings to the table. you also have to highlight the positives that donald trump and the republicans bring to the table. we'll be prepared to do that. martha: all right. >> every slot is going to be filled with great speakers and -- martha: who are those speakers, reince? because the buzz today is, you know, it is not organized. they don't know who is speaking. trump campaign wants these guys to speak. the rnc would rather see different folks up there. who can you tell us right now, who can you confirm will be speaking? >> i will not confirm anything, martha, it is really not my place to do that. it is the place of the campaign. i think they're going to be talking about who those people will be over the next few days. i can assure you it is very well-organized and every single six-minute slot is filled n and
7:27 am
people are excited and people are making confirmations. and -- martha: hang on one second. >> slots are filled. people are happy. martha: sorry to cut you off. stand by, if you could. paul ryan speaking about hillary clinton situation. >> do you think that in regard to -- is there anything congress can do to -- >> we're looking, i don't know the answer to that question, whether something congress can do. i have to say, from my own experience you get access to deeply classified material. once you leave the convention as the nominee. on a regular basis. it is part of a transition government. with no indictment occurring but, a discussion or a call for administrative action i think it is least we can do given how she was so reckless handling classified material and sending classified information in unsecure servers. look, that is something the administration should do on its own. but we'll look into seeing.
7:28 am
>> more than 14 years ago after al qaeda attacked our nation on 9/11, the united states went to war in afghanistan against these terrorists and the taliban that harbored them. over the years and thanks to heroic efforts by our military, our intelligence community, our diplom professionals, we pushed al qaeda out of its camps, helped the afghan people topple the taliban and helped them establish a democratic government. we dealt crippling blows to the al qaeda leadership. we delivered justice to osama bin laden and we trained afghan forces to take responsibility for their own security. given that progress a year-and-a-half ago, in december of 2014 america's combat mission in afghanistan came to a responsible end. compared to the 100,000 troops
7:29 am
we once had there today fewer than 10,000 remain and compared to their previous missions, helping to lead the fight, our forces are now focused on two narrow missions, training and advising afghan forces, and supporting counterterrorist operations against the remnants of al qaeda as well as other terrorist groups including isil. in short, even as we have maintained a relentless case against those who are threatening us, we no longer engaged in a major ground war in afghanistan. but even these narrow missions continue to be dangerous. over the past year-and-a-half, 38 americans, military and civilian, have lost their lives in afghanistan on behalf of our security. and we honor their sacrifice.
7:30 am
we stand with their families in their grief and in their pride. we resolve to carry on the mission which they gave their last full america sure of devotion. this is also not america's mission alone. in afghanistan we're joined by 41 allies and parters, a coalition contributes 6,000 of their troops alone. we have a partner in the afghan government and the afghan people who support a long-term strategic partnership with the united states and in fact afghans continue to step up. for the second year now afghan forces are fully responsible for their own security. every day nearly 320,000 afghan soldiers and police are serving and fighting and many are giving their lives to defend their country. to their credit and in the face of a continued taliban insurgency and terrorist networks, afghan forces remain
7:31 am
in control of all the major population centers, provincial capitals, major transit routes and most district centers. afghan forces have beaten back attacks and they have pushed the taliban out of some areas. meanwhile in another milestone, we recently removed the leader of the taliban, muktar mohammed mansoor. nevertheless the security information in afghanistan remains precarious. even as they improve, afghan security forces are still not as strong as they need to be. with our help they're still working to improve critical capabilities such as intelligence, logistics, aviation and command-and-control. at the same time the taliban remains a threat. they have gained ground in some cases, they have continued attacks and suicide bombings, including in kabul because the
7:32 am
taliban deliberately target innocent civilians, more afghan men, women and children are dying. and often overlooked in the global refugee crisis, millions of afghans have fled their homes, and many have been fleeing their country. as president and commander-in-chief i made it clear i will not allow afghanistan to be used as safe haven for terrorists to attack our nation again. that is why i constantly review our strategy with my national security team, including our commanders in afghanistan. in all these reviews we're guided by the facts. what's happening on the ground, to determine what's working and what needs to be changed. that's why at times i made adjustments. for example, by slowing draw-down of our forces and recently, giving u.s. forces more flexibility to support afghan forces on the ground and in the air. i strongly believe that it is in
7:33 am
our national security interests, especially after all the blood and treasure we invested in afghanistan over the years, that we give our afghan partners the very best opportunity to succeed. upon taking command of coalition forces this spring, general nicholson conducted a review of the security situation in afghanistan, and our military posture. it was good to get a fresh set of eyes, and based on the recommendation of general nicholson as well as secretary carter and chairman dunford, and following extensive consultations with my national security team as well as congress and the afghan government and our international partners, i'm announcing an additional adjustment to our posture. instead of going down to 5500 troops by the end of this year, the united states will maintain approximately 8400 troops in afghanistan into next year through the end of my administration.
7:34 am
the narrow missions assigned to our forces will not change. they remained focused on supporting afghan forces and going after terrorists but maintaining our forces at this specific level based on our assessment of the security conditions and the strength of afghan forces will allow us to continue to provide tailored support to help afghan forces to continue to improve. from coalition bases in jalalabad and kandahar, we'll continue to supporting bases on the ground and in the air and continue supporting counterterrorism operations. i'm reaffirming the enduring commitment of the united states to afghanistan and its people. the decision i'm making today can help our allies and partners align their own commitments. as you know tomorrow i depart for the nato summit in warsaw where i meet with our coalition partners and afghan president ghani and chief executive abdullah.
7:35 am
many of our allies and partners already stepped forward with commitments of troops and funding, to keep strengthening afghan forces through the end of this decade. the nato summit will be opportunity for more allies and partners to affirm their contributions and i'm confident they will. all of us have a vital interest in security and stability of afghanistan. my decision today also sends a message to the taliban and those who opposed afghanistan's progress. you have now been waging war against the afghan people for many years. you have been unable to prevail. afghan security forces continue to grow stronger. the commitment of the international community including the united states to afghanistan and its people will endure. i will say it again. the only way to end this conflict and to achieve a full drawdown of foreign forces from afghanistan is through a lasting political settlement between the
7:36 am
afghan government and the taliban. that's the only way and that is why the united states will continue to strongly support an afghan-led reconciliation process and why we call on all countries in the region to end safe havens for militants and terrorists. finally, today's decision best positions my successor to make future decisions about our presence in afghanistan. in january, the next u.s. president will assume the most solemn responsibility of the commander-in-chief. the security of the united states and safety of the american people. the decision i am making today insures my successor has a solid foundation for continued progress in afghanistan, as well as the flexibility to address the threat of terrorism as it evolves. so in closing i want to address directly what i know on the minds of many americans, especially our troops and their
7:37 am
families who have born a heavy burden for our security. when we first sent our forces into afghanistan 14 years ago, few americans imagined we would be there in any capacity this long. as president i focused our strategy on training and building up afghan forces. it has been continually my belief that it is up to afghans to defend their country. because we have emphasized training their capabilities, we have been able to end our major ground war there and bring 90% of our troops back home. but even as we work for peace, we have to deal with the realities of the world as it is and we can't forehe get what is at stake in afghanistan. this is where al qaeda is trying to regroup. this is where isil continues to try to expand its presence. if these terrorists succeed in regaining areas and camps where
7:38 am
they can retrain and plot they will attempt more attacks against us and we can not allow that to happen. i will not allow that to happen. this september will mark 15 years since the attacks of 9/11, and once more we'll pause to remember the lives we lost. americans and peoples from around the world. will stand with their families who still grief, will stand with survivors who still bear the scars of that day. we'll thank the first-responders who rushed to save others. and perhaps most importantly we'll salute our men and women in uniform, our 9/11 generation who have served in afghanistan and beyond for our security. we'll honor the memory of all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, including more than 2200 american patriots who have given their lives in afghanistan.
7:39 am
as we do, let's never forget the progress their service has made possible. afghanistan is not a perfect place. it remains one of the poorest countries in the world. it is going to continue to take time for them to build up military capacity that we sometimes take for granted. and given the enormous challenges they face, afghan people will need the partnership of the world, led by the united states, for many years to come. but with our support, afghanistan is a better place than it once was. millions of afghan children, boys and girls, are in school. dramatic improvements in public health have saved the lives of mothers and children. afghans have cast their ballots in democratic elections. we've seen the first democratic transfer of power in the
7:40 am
country's history. current national unity government continues to pursue reforms including record revenues last year to strengthen their country and over time help decrease the need for international support. that government is a strong partner with us in combating terrorism. that's the progress we have helped make possible. that's the progress that our troops have helped make possible and our diplomats and our development personnel. that's the progress we can help sustain in partnership with the afghan people and our coalition partners. and so i firmly believe the decision i'm announcing today is the right thing to do. for afghanistan, for the united states, and for the world. may god bless our troops and all who serve to protect us, may god bless the united states of
7:41 am
america. martha: so the president announcing just moments ago that he would keep the troop level at 8400 in afghanistan and not proceed with the drawdown that would have brought us down to 5500 in afghanistan. thus acknowledging the increased activity by the taliban. they just recently took out a police training van killing 30 people, injuring 70 and their new leader, the taliban's new leader has urged the united states to get out. so let's bring in our correspondent jennifer griffin who covers the pentagon for a long time and now on the trail with hillary clinton. but looking back at this, jennifer, your thoughts what the president had to say? >> well, martha, this is a very significant announcement. remember the president had wanted to bring all u.s. troops out of afghanistan, just as he did it in iraq. he did an about-face last october. he said that 5500 would stay through the end of his term in 2017. now he is increasing that number
7:42 am
to just north of 8400 u.s. troops. you will remember back in the spring when general john campbell retired as the top u.s. commander in afghanistan he was maligned privately i'm told by the national security staff at the white house when he suggested they would need more troops. now it seems that general nicholson who took over in the spring has recommended to the president and rest of the national security establishment that they're going to need more troops. not only are they going to need more troops, they're going to be in bases around afghanistan in places like helmand province and kandahar, where the president hoped to close up the bases and in fact only have a more limited force that would be protecting the embassy in the, in the capitol, kabul. the taliban get as vote. they have been pressing afghan government, afghan military has not been performing as they would like. 38 americans have been killed in afghanistan this year alone. that according to the president, martha.
7:43 am
martha: jennifer, thank you very much. bill: the truth is the world's a mess. whether it is afghanistan or iraq or syria. you think about terrorist attacks in turkey and bangladesh with that country's experience now. it just goes on and on. martha: every day. bill: orlando, and, wow. success -- martha: whoever takes the job will have a very, very full plate. the president acknowledged that in those statements so. bill: fbi decision on hillary clinton server sparking widespread uproar. while we were listening to the president, paul ryan went off. hear what he is saying live on the hill in a moment, next. you didn't read
7:44 am
your car insurance policy. you just stuck it in a drawer somewhere and forgot about it. until a dump truck hit your pick up truck and now you need a tow truck. does your policy cover the cost of a tow truck? who knows? you didn't read it. you can't even find it. the liberty mutual app with coverage compass makes it easy to know what you're covered for and what you're not. call liberty mutual for a free quote today at coverage compass gives you the policy information you need at a glance. available 24/7 on your mobile device. switch to liberty mutual and you could save up to $509. call that's
7:45 am
see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance.
7:46 am
bill: so while the president was talking about troop deployment in afghanistan house speaker paul ryan went off on the hillary clinton matter. he did not hold back. former new hampshire governor john sununu, white house chief of staff to george h.w. bush. good morning to you.
7:47 am
before i get to ryan i have not heard you on the record yet about the fbi decision. did comey make the right call or not? >> look, he was between a rock and a hard place. i think he felt to violently disrupt a political campaign needed a good reason. i think he probably felt she hadn't crossed the threshold that made that a reality but he is going to go before congress and i think having, taken her off the hook in terms of the indictment, i suspect comey may lay everything out and she may be just as much trouble politically as much as she would have been indicted. bill: paul ryan clearly disagrees with your initial assessment. watch it here. >> i was on the ticket in 2012. after the convention you get the full, deep, classified information as part of transition. it is a part of being a nominee. i think the dni, clapper, should
7:48 am
deny hillary clinton access to classified information during this campaign given how she so recklessly handled classified information. bill: another point he said. fbi gave her privilege. what do you think of that? >> well, look, i am not trying to justify what comey did. i'm trying to explain what comey did and it is really two different things. i'm just trying to say, that i see, the perspective he brought to it. i understand how difficult the decision it was for him. recognizing that an indictment would put the campaign into chaos and really create a problem for the country as well. i think what he did was -- bill: is that his job? he has got to uphold the law, right, call it the way he sees it legally? >> i understand that. you have had legal experts who know more than i do on here explaining the legalities of what he did. i'm trying to explain in human terms the difficulty the guy had
7:49 am
in coming to a decision. i think she's going to have a political problem that is as bad as it possibly can be. she does not yet understand, that what he did was call her devious, he called her incompetent, and he called her dishonest. he may have used better words than those, but he in essence said, this is an incompetent liar that the democrats are going to nominate to run for president. bill: one more thing. you started to talk about the comey appearance tomorrow. where does that go then? >> i think having, having taken her off the hook on the indictment, i think he is going to lay it on her on everything else and i think she is going to be just as badly off as if she had been indicted. bill: we'll cover the hearing live. 10:00 a.m. eastern time tomorrow. 23 hours from now. governor, thank you. john sununu out of new hampshire today. martha. martha: so with the convention in our sights are we any close letter figuring out who donald trump will pick as his running mate? the tea leaves we're looking
7:50 am
into we'll show you coming up right after this. and so many businesses rely on the united states postal service to get it there. that's why we make more ecommerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. the united states postal service. priority: you amazing sleep stays with you all day and all night. sleep number beds with sleepiq technology give you the knowledge to adjust for the best sleep ever. it's the final days of the lowest prices of the season sale, with the our best buy rated c2 queen mattress now only $699.99. know better sleep. only at a sleep number store. try duo fusion!ing antacids? new, two in one heartburn relief. the antacid goes to work in seconds... and the acid reducer lasts up to 12 hours in one chewable tablet. try new duo fusion. from the makers of zantac.
7:51 am
7:52 am
7:53 am
♪ martha: donald trump is auditioning future potential vice presidents. he met with several potential people over last few days, including tennessee senator bob corker who spoke at a trump rally in north carolina last night. newt gingrich joining trump in cincinnati. alan colmes, alan colmes show and i'd rollins, reagan campaign re-election, strategist for great america pac. both fox news contributors. great to have you here. ed first, the trump campaign, where is the buzz? where do you think it will go, ed? >> i don't think anybody really knows but him. he is letting people seeing fairly exciting candidates we have joni ernst, governor of
7:54 am
indian, mike pence. could be sessions first person to endorse him. newt gingrich is somebody else. christie has liabilities you don't want a candidate that hurts you a little bit. you want a candidate helps you a little bit. martha: who do you think the best pick for him? >> i think the best pick is gingrich. he need as pier speaks what happening in government. there is nobody around him today who could push back and gingrich can push back. bill: martha: what about the dem side, who do you see hillary picking? >> a long time julian castro. now i think warren. if two men wore blue, people complain about it. martha: it wouldn't be quite as obvious. men always wear the same thing. >> people went nuts because they wore similar shades of blue. she would rev up the base. certainly bernie factor may have driven her or may drive her toward a more progressive candidate.
7:55 am
tim kaine has problem with abortion issue with progressives. that is just what i'm, i'm not being consulted. martha: who would concern you on a trump ticket? >> [laughter]. i don't think would concern me. what trump needs to do is solve his problem is get a former, disabled vet, half-jewish, half native-american in order to solve the problem of all people he offended. >> it is all about checking boxes, is that what it is? >> so many boxes you have to check, i'm not sure he could find someone like that. martha: ed, quick, final thoughts. >> he need someone stablize the campaign, knows how to stablize campaign or take corker who has foreign policy expertise. martha: short on time. thank you very much. great seeing you both. bill: more fallout from the hillary clinton fbi investigation. tomorrow at this time you will hear from james comey. he will sit down before a house committee on the hill to answer questions. so then this question, what's next in the chapter on this?
7:56 am
i'm only in my 60's.
7:57 am
>> ... >> ... medical expenses. the rest is up to you. call now and find out about an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, it helps pick up some of what medicare doesn't pay. and could save you in out-of-pocket medical costs. to me, relationships matter. i've been with my doctor for 12 years. now i know i'll be able to stick with him. [ male announcer ] with these types of plans, you'll be able to visit any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients. plus, there are no networks, and virtually no referrals needed. so don't wait. call now and request this free decision guide
7:58 am
to help you better understand medicare... and which aarp medicare supplement plan might be best for you. there's a wide range to choose from. we love to travel - and there's so much more to see. so we found a plan that can travel with us. anywhere in the country. [ male announcer ] join the millions of people who have already enrolled in the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp, an organization serving the needs of people 50 and over for generations. remember, all medicare supplement insurance plans help cover what medicare doesn't pay. and could save you in out-of-pocket medical costs. call now to request your free decision guide. and learn more about the kinds of plans that will be here for you now - and down the road. i have a lifetime of experience. so i know how important that is. we had more fallout on
7:59 am
hillary clinton and will have james call me from the house committee, jim jordan, they are all on that committee. they can breathe fire when they want. elijah cummings is the ranking member on the committee so we have that coverage for you tomorrow. in the meantime, paul ryan essentially saying he thinks she was given preferential treatment by the fbi. molly: he said they didn't have the disclosure every candidate gets, that she can't be trusted with confidential information as a candidate for the united states presidency, that's huge so a lot more coming up on that and will he be unleashed tomorrow in front of that committee now that he stuck the heat of the prosecution off the table so we will be all about jim comey tomorrow. bill: the point on this is the story is still red-hot and you've got this announcement about afghanistan from the president this past hour as well.
8:00 am
as we were talking about, there are plenty of hotspots around the globe but the next president is going to have to deal with it. this is a very serious election that voters and viewers need to pay attention to and make the right call. molly: the president who wanted to leave office with no wars on his hand and he has not created that situation as he just acknowledged that i will see you tonight. jon: so the aftershocks continue from the political earthquake that struck during our show yesterday when fbi director comey announced he is not recommending critical criminal charges were hillary clinton after use of that private email server while she was victory of state. welcome to the first hour of "happening now", i'm jon scott. >> and i'm melissa francis, for having me back. director comey also described clinton's handling of those emails as quote, extremely careless and contradicted her

229 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on