Skip to main content

tv   The O Reilly Factor  FOX News  August 1, 2016 5:00pm-6:01pm PDT

5:00 pm
with sean at 10:00. don't forget ivanka trump tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m. eastern. ♪ ♪ >> the o'reilly factor is on. tonight. >> this person is total incapable of empathy. i want his family to council him. >> what would you say to that father. >> i would say we have had a lot of problems with radical islamic terrorism. that's what i would say. >> more controversy surrounding donald trump. this one is a bit different. we will have the inside story about the candidate versus the muslim father of a slain soldier tonight. >> what did you think of the convention? >> it's kind of useful when you need grown food, you plants, fruits, all of that. >> i think you are talking about the farmer's market. >> is that it? >> watters, with a post convention world. we will hear what the folks have to say. >> if i was running for
5:01 pm
president starting a war i would ask the person running the war what's your problem? >> preview of the big upcoming movie killing reagan. >> they have been under estimating us all our lives. i want to show them i can do this not without you, not without your faith. >> caution, you are about to enter the no spin zone. the factor begins right now. ♪ ♪ hi, i'm bill o'reilly. thanks for watching us tonight. will president obama help or hurt hillary clinton in her quest to become president. that is the subject of this evening's talking points memo. on friday, the commerce department gave americans the bad news. economic growth now tracking at 1% this year. 1%. that is the weakest start to a year since 2011 and worst economic recovery since 1949.
5:02 pm
that report issued just two days after president obama said this: after the worst recession in 80 years, we fought our way back. we have seen deficits come down. 401(k)'s recover. auto industry set new records. that's true, the big business and the stock market are doing really well. your case that may not be the case some are not investing in the future around taking as much as they can rit now. that criminal crged that the u.s. knee. who suffers? the worker because jobs are not being created. president obama can say mafer he wants. the reality is dealing with 1% economic growth. now, how was hillary clinton going to handle that because the economy is the most important issue of the pain here is what she said thursday night.
5:03 pm
>> our economy is so much stronger than when they took office. nearly 15 million new private sector jobs. 20 million more americans with health insurance. and an auto industry that just had its best year ever. now, that's real progress, but none of us can be satisfied with the status quo. >> problem is mrs. clinton has not defined yet precise economic measures that she would take to change the status quo. other than a 275 billion-dollar federal investment program in public works. but that's taxpayer dollars. not private sector stimulation. the same scenario president obama has been using. trump, on the other hand, says he will renegotiate all kinds of trade deals and punish corporations who move jobs overseas. republican can says he will cut corporate and personal
5:04 pm
income. hillary clinton says she will raise taxes on the wealthy but has not clearly defined her corporate tax view. so you, the reporter, have to decide which economic posture you believe will be most effective. now, on to immigration. it is here that trump is most militant. if elected, he will build a wall on the southern border. and bring heavy scrutiny to illegal aliens already living in the u.s.a. there is no wiggle room on that. if elected, trump would have to do it. secretary clinton has a much more nuanced approach. >> comprehensive immigration reform will grow our economy and keep families together and it's the right thing to do. so, whatever party you belong to or if you belong to no party at all, if you share these beliefs, this is your campaign. >> these beliefs, i'm not really sure what that means.
5:05 pm
right now the democratic party has no program secure the southern border. apparently they believe all is well down there. the border union have endorsed trump. all may not be well. if you read the democratic platform and i'm sure you all have, it basically says that any legal alien who doesn't commit a crime in the u.s.a. should be able to stay. the bernie sanders crew wants completely open borders and amnesty for everyone already here. does hillary clinton want that? we don't know yet. the calculation may be that hispanic americans don't want any immigration action other than assimilation. if the clinton campaign comes to that conclusion, the secretary won't say much about illegal immigration, other than the cliche's
5:06 pm
mantra, comprehensive immigration reform. which means absolutely nothing. finally, terrorism. very big issue as you know. especially if there is another attack here in america. it's clear barack obama's policy toward isis and other islamic jihadists is to defeat them gradually. the president does not want to commit ground troops even if they are under an international banner like nato. mr. owe bomb maps policy is called acceptable losses. that is in the terror conflict, people will die. but you don't everreact boy committing massive forces to destroy isis. look at what's happened. isis gained power under the obama administration. while it has been set back some, it is still the world's most dangerous organization o these saf evangelicals sit there in raqqa syria from the turkish trd. this thrump says he will doe
5:07 pm
feet isis quickly. he will not tell us how because ice weis would know. more question that he more specialably than he has beenen sit here is what she said on thursday. >> anyone reading the news can see the threats and turbulence we face from baghdad to kabul, paris and brussels, from san bernardino to orlando, we're dealing with determined enemies that must be defeated. we will strike their sanctuaries from the air and support local forces taking them out on the ground. we will surge our intelligence so we defect and prevent attacks before they happen. >> well, that is the exact same policy president obama has. no difference. today, new polling says mrs. clinton did get a bump from the convention.
5:08 pm
she is slightly ahead of trump if you factor in the margin of error. one says that trump has 87% chance of defeating hillary clinton in november. the teacher hell mutt paces prediction on primary votes from primary and of course that's speculation, but so are the polls at this point. americans will not lock in until after labor day. and, of course, the three debates will mean everything this year. finally, hillary clinton has to decide how much president obama's support means to her campaign. it's a given that this election is very personal. african-americans and hispanics largely supporting her, white americans supporting trump in large numbers. for you far left smear websites out there, that is a general statement of fact backed up by the polls. so president obama campaigning for hillary clinton will, of course,
5:09 pm
galvanize the moisture vote. however it will drive more working class white voters into the trump camp. mr. obama is convinced, he firmly believes that his economic programs have saved america from a great depression. but that kind of conjecture means nothing to people who have struggling to pay their bills. summing up, trump offers bold change in his speeches. secretary clinton offers mainly conventional liberal thinking. she can depart from that to some extent without alienating the party but, if she repudiates any of president obama's policies, she knows she might alienate him. is she willing to do that? and that's the memo. next on the rundown, reaction. later, frank luntz talking to the folks about the best and worst statements trump and clinton made at their respective conventions. fascinating exclusive report up ahead.
5:10 pm
i've been taking fish oil from nature's bounty to support my heart. eating better, keeping healthy. so that no matter what happens in the future, my "future self" will thank me. thank you! 45 years of experience has taught us: no matter what the future holds, you're always better off healthy. nature's bounty you can help prevent blindness in undernourished children across the globe by getting your vitamins at walgreens. walgreens. at the corner of happy and healthy. right now with card, select nature's bounty vitamins are buy one, get one free.
5:11 pm
5:12 pm
or building the best houses in town. or becoming the next highly-unlikely dotcom superstar. and us, we'll be right there with you, helping with the questions you need answered to get your brand new business started. we're legalzoom and we've already partnered with over a million new business owners to do just that. check us out today to see how you can become one of them. legalzoom. legal help is here.
5:13 pm
tipping with our lead story with hillary clinton depart from policies. all right, we begin with you, katie, secretary clinton going to tow the obama line in your opinion. >> there is a reason why president obama endorsed her and partly his job to protect her legacy. trying to walk this line of saying the economy is great because obama implemented all of these policies, while at the same time trying to reassure people that she will make it better. and another indication that she'll do exactly what obama said is the language that she uses just like you pointed out in your talking points memo. she says repeatedly we are going to invest in infrastructure and invest in roads and bridges and crumbling infrastructure. guess what president obama did that to the tune of a trillion dollars in a stimulus package and admitted himself that it was a failure in terms of creating jobs.
5:14 pm
she is going to try to go that route. i think the american people will say right through it and say they want something different. as you mentioned that will help trump. >> mary anne, you saw the report on friday of 1% growth and the weakest recovery from a recession since 1949. that pretty much wiped out president obama's speech on monday as far as facts are concerned. did it not? i think we all agree the great recession is behind us and greatest challenge is to make sure people have jobs that pay better wages. that's the anger that's fueling this election and in addition to the fact that washington doesn't work. that's why i think when you look at hillary clinton she has the plans to bring back those kinds of jobs and understands the politics to make washington work to do that. and i think that's the big difference there. >> let me stop you there. >> yep. >> the only plan and i researched this because you guys know when i write these memos we do unbelievable research. the only specificity that secretary clinton put forth was the 275 billion-dollar
5:15 pm
public works program. which katie rightly pointed out is well short of the trillion that president obama put into that and it really didn't move the job dial. so i'm not seeing how that will stimulate the overall economy by putting that kind of tax money into a public works thing. how is that going to stimulate the economy, mary anne. >> actually she does have a better plan. if you want to restore a middle class you need to restore manufacturing. she is going to put $10 billion of investment in to restoring manufacturing. >> is the government going to build plants for private companies? >> no. just like you said in your talking points that donald trump wants to punish companies who have gone overseas with their jobs. she is going to do just that by rescinding their tax benefits. taking the money and investing it in manufacturing. which is the kind of jobs that pays people 20 bucks an hour. >> that's not a job stimulator. >> yes, it is. >>. no unless the companies start to expand here. all right. let's get off that. >> no. that's exactly what they are going to do.
5:16 pm
>> let's get to terrorism because we only have a short time and i'm going to give you each 30 seconds. did you, katie, see anything different or new in the terror fight against isis? >> the only thing i have seen hillary do that's different than president obama is say we're up against a radical jihadist enemy which the white house, of course hasn't said. >> she hasn't said yet. >> she doesn't detail plans and say how we are going to fight them in terms of doing something differently. she doesn't talk about the rules of engagement which when you talk about people who are doing the work from the air and those have ho have been in iraq and afghanistan fighting this type of inspect enemy, they say the rules of engagement need to be changed so they can finish the josh. doesn't talk about that. there aren't a whole lot of details. >> do you see anything or know anything because you work with the democrats that would be different from what president obama's doing vis-a-vis isis? >> i think if you listen carefully to hillary clinton both on foreign policy and economic policy, she is going to be more aggressive. and you have heard that even before the convention before
5:17 pm
the speech. >> do you have any -- i'm going to be more aggressive with my next guest than you but i'm not going to tell you how. give me specifics. >> that's donald trump's presidency. i'm not going to tell what you i'm going to do i'm going to be better. hillary clinton would have more troops. >> more troops? >> in certain places i think she would be willing to do that. >> with you she hasn't said that. you will see we don't have that on the record. >> i think to be fair here it's august. we have 98 days to go. you will hear more specificity as the campaign goes on. >> maybe. especially if she does an interview with me then i will say okay. >> i bet you that will happen. i think she doesn't want to -- she needs to without repudiating him. >> that's the line. you have to -- you can't alienate him but you have to differentiate. particularly if the polls start to go trump's way. >> believe me they are. directly ahead, a factor exclusive, scientific analysis for the best and
5:18 pm
worst moments for trump and clinton at their respective conventions. right back with it. millions of women worldwide trust tena with their bladder matters. thanks to its triple protections from leaks, odor and moisture. tena lets you be you ♪ try cool mint zantac. hey, need fast heartburn relief? it releases a cooling sensation in your mouth and throat. zantac works in as little as 30 minutes. nexium can take 24 hours. try cool mint zantac. no pill relieves heartburn faster.
5:19 pm
what powers the digital world? communication. like centurylink's broadband network that gives 35,000 fans a cutting edge game experience. or the network that keeps a leading hotel chain's guests connected at work, and at play. or the it platform that powers millions of ecards every day for one of the largest greeting card companies. businesses count on communication, and communication counts on centurylink.
5:20 pm
5:21 pm
impact segment tonight, voter reaction to donald trump and hillary clinton. first we have to deal though with this muslim father trump controversy that has erupted khan naturalized citizen from pakistan lost his son a captain in the u.s. army in iraq. he was killed on june 8th, 2004, trying to stop two suicide bombers. captain khan is a true american hero. so the democratic party brought his father into the convention to scold donald trump about his proposed muslim immigration policy. after that trump hit back.
5:22 pm
>> donald trump, you're asking americans to trust you with their future. let me ask you, have you even read the united states constitution? [cheers and applause] >> i will gladly lend you my copy. >> i saw him. he was very emotional and probably looked like a nice guy to me. his wife, if you look at his wife, she was standing there. she had nothing to say. she probably -- maybe she wasn't allow to do have anything to say. you tell me. >> all right. joining us now from los angeles frank luntz who we asked to conduct a so-called dial session where regular folks, in this case uncommitted voters in ohio, annualized statements from donald trump and hillary clinton. the khan trump controversy was included in the session. so set it up for us, frank. what did you ask the folks? >> well, i asked them how significant was this? this was the number one
5:23 pm
moment from both conventions. and part of it had to deal with the fact that he showed that copy of the constitution when he pulled it out of his breast pocket and held it up. that said to voters, this is significant, i need to pay attention to it. but it wasn't just that. he wasn't on and you are going to see it in the dials, the higher the lines climb, the more favorable the reaction. this is one of the high moments of both conventions when you talked about his son's and his family's sacrifice. let's take a look. >> have you ever been to arlington cemetery? go look at the graves of brave patriots who died defending united states of america. you have sacrificed nothing. [cheers and applause] and no one. >> and so even republicans had a positive view of that statement, correct? >> correct. this is very personal.
5:24 pm
and you do not want to get into an argument with a gold star mother. you do not want to fight with parents who lost their child and everyone, 100 percent says that he was a war hero. this is a big mistake from the trump campaign, from donald trump. >> and for both parties. now, i'm going to ask trump about this tomorrow. it's interesting. i don't think trump meant any malice by it if you do identity politics by saying well, the muslim woman might not have been able to talk, then you are right over into the area where you are going to get hammered. let's look at trump then. he said something positive that you and your dial session said was the most successful thing. what was that? >> and it focused on the positive aspects of what trump is talking about. the inspirational and aspirational aspect of american life. let's take a look. >> but now my sole and
5:25 pm
exclusive mission is to go to work for our country to go to work for you. it's time to deliver a victory for the american people. but to do that, we must break free from the petty politics of the past. america is a nation of believers. dreamers, and strivers being led by a group of sensors, critics and cynics. >> so the aspirational, we got to get off the politics as usual was his strongest moment, trump? >> it was one of his strongest moments and what stood out it wasn't the highest dial but what stood out from this is the fact that instead of critiquing where we stand negatively, all the failures, is he actually talking sass especiallily how successful america can be. if donald trump captures that kind of positive,
5:26 pm
forward-thinking language in his presentations, bill, he absolutely could become the next president of the united states. >> sure. and what was striking about that is it is over 60% of democrats listening to the aspirational line approved of it. >> exactly. but there is a negative. and, bill, i want to play for you the part that did worse for trump and the clinton campaign must have been doing the same research that we were doing with the same type of voters in ohio because they went back to this, again and again in their campaign. >> let's roll the tape on that. >> i have joined the political arena so that the powerful can no longer beat up on people who cannot defend themselves. nobody knows the system better than me. which is why i alone can fix it. i have seen firsthand how the system is rigged. >> okay. so the democrats obviously
5:27 pm
didn't like that. republicans were, you know, 55 percent said okay, right? >> so, it had no negative impact on him among republicans, independents and democrats didn't like it because to them together that line ha hillary clinton used better together is something that they believe in. to to set the tone, trump does best when he focuses on the positive outlook, talks about what's wrong but then appeals to the aspirational aspects of america. >> this is how it can be. >> and does worse. >> exactly. >> we're going to hold frank over to talk about hillary clinton's best and worst moments. then, later, special "watters world" and after the convention quiz. factor is coming right back. what's it like to be in good hands? man, it's like pure power at your finger tips. like the power to earn allstate reward points, every time i drive. ...want my number? and cash back for driving safe. and the power to automatically find your car...
5:28 pm
i see you car! and i got the power to know who's coming and when if i break down. ...you must be gerry. hey... in means getting more from your car insurance with the all-powerful drivewise app. it's good to be in, good hands.
5:29 pm
tracfone began with one important belief: wireless should be affordable for everyone. twenty years later, we're still making it easy to save money on smartphones! our new smartphone plan is just $15/month. you get talk, text, and data
5:30 pm
with unlimited carryover®, with no contract and coverage on one of america's largest 4glte networks. plus, we have new 4g lte smartphones starting at under $50 bucks. new smartphones. new plans. new ways to do everything for less with tracfone. available at walmart ...one of many pieces in my i havlife.hma... so when my asthma symptoms kept coming back on my long-term control medicine. i talked to my doctor and found a missing piece in my asthma treatment with breo. once-daily breo prevents asthma symptoms. breo is for adults with asthma not well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. breo won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. breo opens up airways to help improve breathing for a full 24 hours. breo contains a type of medicine that increases the risk of death from asthma problems and may increase the risk of hospitalization in children and adolescents. breo is not for people whose asthma is well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. once your asthma is well controlled, your doctor will decide if you can stop breo and prescribe a
5:31 pm
different asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. do not take breo more than prescribed. see your doctor if your asthma does not improve or gets worse. ask your doctor if 24-hour breo could be a missing piece for you. see if you're eligible for 12 months free at mybreo.com. continuing now with frank luntz and his dial sessioning asking the folks about the best and worst statements by donald trump and hillary clinton. on to secretary clinton. what too you have for us, frank? >> well, we got two segments, the first one is hillary clinton at her best when she is talking about the economy and amazingly, bill, when she is acknowledging that things aren't as good as she would like them to be. let's take a look. >> here's what i believe. i believe america thrives when the middle class thrives. i believe our economy isn't working the way it should because our democracy isn't working the way it should.
5:32 pm
>> all right. so both the republicans and democrats approved of that, correct? >> >> yes. but here's the problem. she is talking about democracy not working as well as it could and economy not helping the middle class but she is then saying in the next breath that the economy is perfectly fine that this president has done a good job. bill, you can't have it both ways. >> wait a minute, she doesn't say the economy -- let's be fair to secretary clinton. she says that obama saved us from this giant depression that was going to kill us all, however, she is going to -- status quo isn't good and she is going to prove it doesn't get specific as we talked about in the talking points. so now her worst moment. what's that based on? >> her worst moment, yes, and her worst moment is the ad hominem attacks against donald trump. that's not where she is good at. and frankly her negatives are almost as high as his, which is one of the reasons why this was her lowest clip of her speech at the convention. again, let's take a look. >> now, you didn't hear any of this, did you, from
5:33 pm
donald trump at his convention. >> no. he spoke for 70 odd minutes and i do mean odd. and he offered zero solutions. but we already know he doesn't believe these things. >> all right. but the democratic thing, just like the trump negative 60%. they weren't offended by it but obviously republicans were. she delivered a relatively good speech in tone and demeanor and language and topics that she used. bill, there is one thing we are not showing people is bill clinton's defense of her. i have to tell you of all the overall speeches, the one that did the worst in both conventions is bill clinton describing that lady. describing that girl. nobody believed it. >> nobody believed it? >> he talked about their relationship. he had no credibility. he didn't move anyone. >> at least he tried. now, i want you to explain how you do these things. we got about 90 seconds left. so you get a crew, what, 31
5:34 pm
people in columbus, ohio, and how were they divided up and how did you choose them? >> we had over 1,000 people responding for the 31 that actually got in. these are people who are absolutely committed undecides. they may have a leaning. and, in fact, a third of them leaned toward trump. a third of them leaned toward clinton. when the two conventions were over. trump and clinton had essentially the same level of support. which is exactly what you are seeing in the polls. and they use a device about the size of the remote control. and they turn it on a second-by-second basis whether or not they want to vote for that individual. this is like an ekg. the clips you just saw we can measure second by second exactly the impact that each word, each phrase, and each presentation has on these undecided voters. >> now are there any qualifications to do these in sessions. do they have to have a certain level of education? are they political activists? are there any personality
5:35 pm
profiles? nothing like that? >> nothing like that. they have to represent american people. even number of men and women. younger voters as well as older voters. it looks like america but undecided america. >> what about race? >> you have at least one african-american. over 80% of african-americans vote democratic consistently. so our groups are going to have a few less african-americans than you might otherwise have. >> because you are looking for, again, uncommitted people. people who haven't really made up their mind yet, right? >> that's exactly the point. trying to understand why they respond the way that they do. >> frank, when you get an interesting sound cut from either candidate. let us know, we like to at this point to could this it's interesting. thank you. >> plenty more ahead as the time moves along this evening. i'm trying to quote ginn up
5:36 pm
a race bait war. joe klein will be on. what think now that the conventions are over. hope you stay tuned to those reports. don't let dust and allergens get between you and life's beautiful moments. flonase gives you more complete allergy relief. most allergy pills only control one inflammatory substance. flonase controls 6. and six is greater than one. flonase changes everything. ♪
5:37 pm
test test test test
5:38 pm
5:39 pm
5:40 pm
thanks for staying with us. i'm bill o'reilly in the personal story segment tonight. column and "time" magazine entitled an unhinged republican convention in the america's greatest. statements that i your humble correspondent am trying to gin up a race war because of my coverage of black lives matter and the g.o.p. itself is now the party of hate. joining us now from boston the man who wrote the column joe klein. let's take black lives matter first. in your research for the column that you wrote, did you find anything that i reported erroneously about black lives matter? >> well, i think that the problem is, look, bill, i made a similar mistake to the one you made 25 years ago when i said that spike lee's movie do the right thing would cause race riots. i agreed with charles krauthammer that night. he was trying to restrain you a little bit. you can be as critical as you want of black lives matter. i'm critical of him, too.
5:41 pm
but to say that they have caused shooting of police officers i think is a bridge too far. >> i didn't say they caused it. >> you were clearly provocations, all right. lead to a climate that is hateful toward police. i didn't say they caused that. you know that, joe. to write a column like that you have nexus of stuff and the transcripts of our program are available to you there was no statement of black lives matter caused the mess. didn't happen. >> i remember charles krauthammer warning you. >> i'm sorry, joe. >> warning you going too far and you were. lock, the thing is, lock, bill, i have been getting death threats from black militants since the 1980s because i have been as strong on this issue as you would like to think you are. and the fact is that there is a bright line and you
5:42 pm
can't go across. >> go across it accurately on black lives matter. i have a bunch of stuff about what their leadership has said. i was going it read it to you but i'm not going to read it to you. i think you made a mistake of describing me as trying to gin up a race war. >> you are not going to read it to me because you know i will agree that the stuff that their leadership had said. >> you said i'm trying to gin up a race war and that's not true. >> that's not true. >> i'm thrill it's not thrilled. >> the pear of heart. that insults millions of americans who are registered republicans, does it not? >> yeah. it also row reflects a new rattle but i think boy giving their nomination to donald trump who i believe is incompetent to be president. >> donald trump -- wait a
5:43 pm
minute, joe, joe. nobody gave anything to trump. the republican party voted in the primaries. and he won. he won. >> and i believe that the people who voted in those primaries for donald trump were at least helping him along with his message of hate toward immigrants, toward muslims. >> give me a message of hate. give me an example so we know what you are talking about. give me an message of hate. >> when he was talking about the mess gang judge. when he that i makes this. you know because you have reported on this. i have spent a lot of time with our troops oversees want i would carry water for them. in this case donald trump, especially with the gold star mother my my god that's disgraceful. >> we will say tomorrow what
5:44 pm
he has he to say about this. let it's being against trump university refused to grant summary judgment to throw it out. so trump said i believe that he didn't do that, didn't rule my way, trump's way because he is a mexican dissent and because i have been tough on the border wall. that might have influenced his thinking. so you at a that's a hate comment? >> i think that it's a comment that does not reflect an adequate none of the united states constitution. >> that may be true. that's his opinion. it's not a hate comment. >> i think when you call the mexicans coming across the majority the vast majority of them. when you call them rapist and murderers even though that particular n. a particular sense is true that is ginning up. >> last word. >> >> need the lastward.
5:45 pm
>> i wanted give you one of the first interviews did he. the context of the diversification was that the human mug glories of the illegal alien bees crossing the southern before are whapg and abusing and things to the my vent he had system. it wasn't the farmer across the rio grande who is the rapist. >> why tonight you opinion that perspective is needed. not validating them. not validating them. just trying to give perspective. last word, joe. >> i'm sure that donald trump cares the world about those poor immigrants coming across the border. he was backtracking from his stupid comment that he made in his announcement speech when he did the interview with you. >> maybe. i mean, i can't read his mind. all i want is fairness, joe. you weren't fair when you
5:46 pm
said i'm trying to gin up a race war i'm not. i'm trying to accurately report on this crew. your opinion on republicans you are entitled to that your opinion but i want to do flash it out a little bit. cline is a stand up guy, man, most guys would take their cheap shot and run away. >> not me, man. >> that's right. you are a stand up. watters on deck asking folks what they think about the convention now that he they're over. >> preview of college reagan. clips for you moments away. when it comes to medicare,
5:47 pm
5:48 pm
everyone talks about what happens when you turn sixty-five. but, really, it's what you do before that counts. see, medicare doesn't cover everything. only about eighty percent of part b medical costs. the rest is on you. consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company.
5:49 pm
like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, it could really save you in out-of-pocket medical costs. so, call now and request this free decision guide. discover how an aarp medicare supplement plan could go long™ for you. do you want to choose your doctors? avoid networks? what about referrals? all plans like these let you visit any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients, with no networks and virtually no referrals needed. so, call now, request your free guide, and explore the range of aarp medicare supplement plans. sixty-five may get all the attention, but now is a good time to start thinking about how you want things to be. go long™. back of the book segment tonight, "watters world," the thank god the conventions are over edition. pretty simple because watters is a simple man and so am i as you know. we sent the intrepid correspondent to talk to the
5:50 pm
folks. ♪ ♪ >> what did you think about the convention? >> which convention? >> which convention? >> i can't believe it. how about you guys? >> i can't believe it. >> the convention? they were great. they were very much informative, but, you know -- >> do you know what conventions i'm talking about? >> i don't know. >> what did you think of the conventions? >> it's kind of useful when you need grown food, you know, plants, vegetables, fruit. >> i think you're talking about the farmers' market. >> yes. is that it? >> go ahead. take a banana. >> i thought the republicans were ridiculous, and i loved the democratic convention. so polished, so perfect. >> was the democratic one very polished when everyone was chanting anti-hillary slogans? >> well, you got trouble, my friend. >> do you know who the republicans nominated for president? >> no. >> i honestly think that this
5:51 pm
country just needs to get together. >> you'd like to think that, wouldn't you? >> grade the republican convention. >> a-plus. >> when i saw people get out there and speak respectfully about the cops and military, it made me feel proud. i'm a veteran myself. >> did you watch any of the rnc in cleveland? >> no, i didn't. >> so you missed scott baio? >> i think with good reason. >> this is ridiculous. >> i'm a huge trump supporter. i think that's what we need in this country. >> what did you think of trump's speech? >> he knows what americans want to say but are afraid to say it. >> he has the vocabulary of about a 12-year-old. >> you got to keep it simple for the folks. >> okay. >> that's what i'm doing with you. >> please get your hand out of my face. i'm a person, okay? >> did you catch any of trump's speech? >> sound bites. >> don't you want to hear the other side? >> you know what? you're right. you're right. >> i'm always right. >> who is this guy? >> i'm kind of a big deal.
5:52 pm
♪ >> tell me what about the hillary speech really stuck out to you? >> did you change the channel during the hillary speech? yes or no? >> i turned it off. i went to sleep. >> did hillary's speech move you? >> i feel like i've heard her speech before. >> watching all the lies made me want to throw up to be honest with you. >> the dnc, give me a grade. >> b-plus. >> i'd give it a fat f. >> the convention got off to a rocky start with the dnc leak scandal. >> uh-huh. >> that must have might you very sad. >> no, it didn't. it's politics. >> i'm not happy with debbie wasserman schultz at all and how she's handled the whole primaries. >> neither is bernie. >> i know. >> we can do infinitely better. >> i didn't hear any mention of the killings going on in chicago. i didn't hear anything in the democratic convention about the real issues. >> you had people burning the
5:53 pm
american flag outside, and i think that's disgusting and a disgrace to this country. >> why didn't the democrats message isis or illegal immigration very much? >> you'd have to ask them. >> i'm sorry, but all questions must be submitted in writing. >> who are you going to vote for? >> i'm going to vote for hillary. she's more fit to be in office. >> physically fit? >> what's your number-one issue when you go to the polls? >> i would say the lines. >> the line ends here. it begins there. >> oh, no. >> if i was running for president, to stop a war, i would ask the person that's starting the war, what's your problem? >> i said what's your problem? >> let me see these puppies. >> woo! >> it's your world, buddy. >> i think we'd all agree we're glad the conventions are over. factor tip of the day. a preview of the upcoming movie
5:54 pm
killing reagan. the tip, moments away.
5:55 pm
i thought i married an italian. did the ancestrydna to find out i'm only 16% italian. so i went onto ancestry, soon learned that one of our ancestors was eastern european. this is my ancestor who i didn't know about.
5:56 pm
factor tip of the day, your first look at the upcoming movie "killing reagan" in a moment. but first we want to thank everybody who has made "legends & lies" the tv show a huge hit. great episode last night about george washington struggling in his presidency with violent chaos. next sunday, the final episode of "legends & lies: the patriots" so we hope you check it out. there will be a dvd of the series coming soon, and of course, "legends & lies: the patriots" book, which is a complement to the tv show, more story line on the icons, still a massive best-seller across the country. become a billoreilly.com premium member, you get that book or any of my other writings free of charge. the money goes to charity. over the years, millions of dollars have been put to good use. we thank you you all. barbara, tucson, aurs. i listened to charles
5:57 pm
krauthammer speak about donald trump and his disregard and disdain are very obvious. he's not alone there, barbara. but there are plenty of other commentators on fox news who support mr. trump. that's the balanced in the fair and balanced slogan. roger, spain. hillary clinton, while secretary of state, instructed her aides to hack into computers of foreign nations. the liberal media has not reported this. i haven't reported it either, roger. we've seen no evidence to support that claim. come on, man, you got to bring some skepticism when reading this stuff. pam, alabama. o'reilly, i'm an open minded african-american who was hurt when you said slaves that assisted in the building of the white house were well fed. really insensitive. i'm truly sorry you were hurt and i appreciate your e-mail. historical facts are sometimes unsettling. michelle obama was criticized for mentioning the white house was built partly with slave labor, but she was correct. her comments were pro-america and not a slap down. i simply added perspective because many folks want to know exactly what happened with george washington, thomas
5:58 pm
jefferson, and other icons on the slavery issue. so i accurately portrayed the construction scenario of the people's house under washington. i hope you understand. maury meyers, godfrey, illinois. bill, i'm grateful for your honest and fair commentary. i tune into all the news program, and the factor is by far the best. donna, just want to thank you for "legends & lies," my 14-year-old daughter loves it so much. great to hear, donna. she'll be way ahead of her peers if she learns about her country. tip of the day. on october 16th, national geographic channel will run the movie "killing reagan" based on my best-selling book. for the first time ever, here's a preview. [ gunfire ] >> we understand that at least three persons have been hit. >> the president was hit. >> by john wornick hinckley. >> they have been
5:59 pm
underestimating us all our lives. i'm going to show them i can do this, but not without you, not without your faith. >> mr. president, this is the worst possible thing you can do right now. >> last time i checked, i am in control here. >> jody, i would abandon this idea of getting reagan in a second if i could only win your heart and live out the rest of my life with you. at least you'll know i always love you. >> send him where you want, to whoever you want, but don't tell him that he's failing. >> i can asasassinate the president. >> tim matheson is the president. cynthia nixon as nancy reagan. the first three movies, killing lincoln, killing kennedy, killing jesus, huge hits. i believe "killing reagan" may top them. poli please spot out about the factor from anywhere in the world.
6:00 pm
name and town. word of the day, do not pettifog when writing to the factor. please remember that the spin stops here because we are definitely looking out for you. breaking tonight, fierce new fallout over donald trump and his ongoing reaction to criticism from a gold star family during last week's democratic national convention. welcome to "the kelly file," everyone. i'm megyn kelly. for four straight days now, the story of the khan family and donald trump has been splashed across the headlines. it all started with the muslim parents who lost their soldier son in the iraq war appeared at the dnc in philly. they questioned mr. trump's knowledge of the constitution and suggested that if donald trump had his way, their son would have never had the chance to serve his country. watch. >> hillary clinton was right when she called my son

211 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on