Skip to main content

tv   The Five  FOX News  September 15, 2016 2:00pm-3:01pm PDT

2:00 pm
hello, everyone. i'm eric bolling along with kimberly guilfoyle, and juan williams. we skipped juan williams. and greg gutfield. it's 5:00 in new york city, and this is "the five." >> well, she's back today americans got to see hillary clinton for the first time in four days since sunday after she collapsed while departing the 9/11 memorial in new york city. she's been home recovering from pneumonia, but returns to the trail this afternoon in north carolina. >> i have to say it's great to be back on the campaign trail. i'm not great at taking it easy even under ordinary
2:01 pm
circumstances. but with just two months to go until election day. sitting at home was pretty much the last place i wanted to be. >> and following her speech, hillary was pressed by reporters about why it took so long to be transparent with america. >> can you be a little more specific about what those defenses are that you're referring to, and did soldiers get a glimpse of some of that in the way that your campaign handled the events handling your illness over the weekend? >> my campaign said they could have been faster, and i agree with that. i certainly expect them to be as focused and quick as possible. but i have to say from my perspective, i thought i was going to be fine. and i thought that there wasn't really any reason to make a big fuss about it. so i should have taken time off
2:02 pm
earlier. i didn't. now i have, and i'm back on the campaign trail. >> all right, kg, first appearance since her health scare. how did she do? >> she did fiep. she kind of threw her staff under the bus. i expect my campaign to be focused and to respond right away, saying more that it was an error or a fail on that part rather than on the candidate herself. so she's very good at deflecting that, that anybody else in the scandal take the fifth, throw the campaign under the bus. this is kind of again a familiar theme for hillary clinton, failure to take ownership and personal responsibility. >> what do you think, greg? you have heard a little wavering in the voice? >> i thought her body double did great. i'm worrying about her health. she might need a body triple, somebody in the back there. i like on the jet, i like the motto, stronger together. so they can help her up the stairs. it takes a village to get her to that podium. then she said in the speech that
2:03 pm
she sweats the details. sure that's not the flu? because you do tend to sweat. look, she has to get back on the horse. in my opinion, the election has left town without her. i mean, i don't think this speech was the resilient "i'm back." it's kind of i'm sort of back. >> it lacks a gung ho. >> in her absence leading up to the health scare and in her absence, the polls have been firm for donald trump. is this enough to maybe stop that movement towards trump? >> i don't think so. she stood there and talked about how she was at home playing with her dogs. if anyone in the audience believes that, come on. raise your hand. i didn't think so. you know, she's -- it's got to the point where i only believe leaked e-mails. i don't believe anything else beside that. she's saying she feels better. she only had whatever it pneumonia. her husband said she had the flu. something else said something. nobody can keep the story straight.
2:04 pm
i don't believe any of it. >> juan, i think democrats were probably empowered by what they saw today. democrats, but anyone else? >> empowered? >> they got their candidate back. >> oh, yeah. >> a lot of discussion among democrats saying should we switch her out? wait, tell me you haven't heard it? >> put in a relief pitcher. >> i think in south carolina, the committee, the executive committee of the dnc should be looking -- nobody said that. >> didn't cokie roberts say something? >> these are not reporters. we're talking about people who have power or say in terms of democratic politics. when i say melissa say she can't believe a woman who is at home with her dogs, i say, gosh, it's reached a point where something so simple, you know, just now, republicans feel free to malign and libel hillary clinton any time she says anything. >> i'm not a republican. are you talking about me? i'm not a republican. >> i think that -- >> she's neutral. >> she looked good.
2:05 pm
and her argument, which was interesting to me, was because it sounded like she was saying, you know what. women do overprepare. we sweat the details. and it seemed like she was saying, i'm not good at the donald trump style game. >> by the way, i didn't believe it either. >> she went on to say, she's been talking to real people. she gets the substance and policy, and she can accomplish real change. that was the message. >> let's bring in a little bit of that, first, hillary was back on the campaign trail, and trump is back questioning her stamina. >> you think this is easy? oh, you think this is so easy. in this beautiful room that's 122 degrees. i don't know, folks. you think hillary would be able to stand up here for an hour and do this? i don't know. i don't think so. i don't think so. >> and trump's doctor gave him a clean bill of health in a report released today. in an interview with dr. oz, he
2:06 pm
says he feels half his age. >> when you're running for president, i think you have an obligation to be healthy. i have been going from state to state, from city to city, and so in a certain way, i get a lot of exercise. more exercise than people would think. >> when you look into the mirror, how old is the person you're looking at? what do you see? >> i would say i see a person that's 35 years old. no, i mean, i feel the same. >> tom brady is a friend of mine. we play golf together. a great quarterback, phenomenal guy, great athlete. i'm with him and i feel the same age as him. >> i love it. >> juan, first of all, i'm not a republican. check my voter registration. i thought this was garbage. i thought the hillary clinton thing was garbage. the only thing i believe right now is colin powell's leaked e-mails. if there was information there about either of their health, i would believe that. other than that, they're both going to stand up and present papers that say they're the healthiest people to be walking
2:07 pm
the planet. there's no way that they would put out anything that said differently. and i don't believe a word either of them have to say about their health. >> colin powell did raise questions about her health in the e-mails, in fact. >> he did say she looks bad. that's him watching from home. >> okay. still using his personal doctor that wrote the little note? that's like a yelp review to a restaurant written by a chef. it's like having one of your friends write a book review on amazon for you, which i never did. maybe i did it once. >> we all do that. >> they did a full blood work-up. there were a lot of numbers, and frankly, some of the numbers were good. >> that's not surprising because of his doctor. >> no, no. >> common sense here, but guess what, hillary is using her concierge doctor. a whole show on this, royal pains. we all have them. i have mine. >> so true. dr. oz. >> you look at trump's medical
2:08 pm
records, and you look at the facts. look at the guy, last one to leave the debates. doing all of the interviews. i know because i was at them. the last person to leave was trump, talking to all the reporters. >> you're not a doctor, kimberly. >> i can play one on tv. have you seen me in "scrubs." the narrative matches the medical record. with hillary, every time you see, she's looking faint, coughing, having coughing fits. she needs help getting up. there's real serious doubts about her health and about her stamina. >> she should staop wearing the medic alert on the stage. >> 54 days left. >> right. >> is she ready for this final stretch run? >> every indication is she's ready. the question is, again, comes back to style and substance. donald trump is the style guy. he's out there, got that energy. but when it comes to substance, you know, so i'm very interested in like today, he's talking to
2:09 pm
the new york economics club, and he says, you know what. i'm going to have a $4 trillion. how do you pay for that? $4 trillion tax cut for mr. trump. he doesn't care. it's economic growth. >> he uses dynamic tax accounting, which makes more sense. >> he doesn't say where it comes from. >> he did. >> wait, let me finish this point. paul ryan says why don't you release your tax returns, donald trump. >> we're still on health, juan. >> i like it. >> that was embarrassing. >> i'm probably going to get blown up on this question. should i not do this? the debate, donald trump is in the report, he says he's 6'2" or 6'3", 237 pounds. >> 236. >> that put his body mass index at 29.5. everybody is saying he should lose weight. did hillary clinton release her height and weight?
2:10 pm
>> no. >> she did? >> i was looking at the blood pressure. >> so, everyone says that's sexist, you shouldn't ask for that. but -- >> it is sexist to say you can't do it to women. >> that's my point. >> did you just say you know how women are? did juan just say you know how women are? >> hillary said the same thing. you know how women are. they tend to overprepare. >> you can't say that. >> if i ask a woman, how much do you weigh, you know what the acti reaction is? don't ask a woman that. >> it's supposed to be about the health of the candidates. being overweight is an issue. they're making it an issue for donald trump. should we have that for hillary clinton? it's a fair point. i mean, you have to be blind about gender. aren't we in a gender-free society? >> we're supposed to be. >> so jarred. >> you know how women are. you can't say that, juan. >> what do you mean?
2:11 pm
i'm not supposed to say -- >> you can't lump people into a group. by the way, i weigh 123 pounds. >> fantastic. juan is just being honest. he's a married man who knows. however, in today's society, eric is right. we're supposed to be able to ask these questions. feminists should demand to know hillary's weight. >> let me just say -- >> i don't want to know either one of them's weight. >> you can ask anything, but i don't think it's relevant. i thing in terms of trump, trump who said he would be the best shape ever, he's the heaviest president. >> by the way, i want to say sorry for anything and let it go. >> we're defending total equality here. >> and that's what the left has been playing on. that's the whole thing that you're supposed to treat people equally no matter what the gender is. if there's a body mass index for trump, should we know if there's one for hillary, too?
2:12 pm
>> the bmi stuff is so inaccurate in general. >> i agree. >> it should be about the belt loops. let's leave it at that. >> next, we're only 54 days out from election day, and this race keeps tightening. the polls, positions have changed. where the candidates stand right now with the voters. that's ahead. hey america,
2:13 pm
still not sure whether to stay or go on that business trip? ♪ should i stay or should i go? ♪ this fall at choice hotels,
2:14 pm
the more you go the better! now earn a free night when you stay with us just two times. book direct at choicehotels.com. nobody's hurt, but there will still be pain. it comes when your insurance company says they'll only pay three-quarters of what it takes to replace it. what are you supposed to do? drive three-quarters of a car? now if you had liberty mutual new car replacement™, you'd get your whole car back. i guess they don't want you driving around on three wheels. smart. with liberty mutual new car replacement™, we'll replace the full value of your car. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
2:15 pm
2:16 pm
now polls are showing a dramatically closer presidential race. according to the latest survey, clinton and trump are in a statistical tie. clinton at 46%. trump only two points behind at 44% with a three percent margin of error. trump is also in the le two key states. he's ahead in ohio and tlord, and also in nevada. here are both candidates talking about the tightening race. >> really had a good month. tremendous enthusiasm in ohio and florida and pennsylvania is coming unbelievably well with the miners that she wants to put out of business. and you know, the whole thing is just working. we really did. we have had an incredible month. >> i have always said that this was going to be a tight race. i have said it from the very
2:17 pm
beginning, whether i was up, down. it didn't matter. i think those are the kinds of presidential elections that we have in america. what matters is who registers to vote and who is motivated and mobilized to turn out to vote. >> well, we've got a debate in 11 days. but we're coming off a period in which hillary clinton got sick. we had the deplorables comment some people didn't like. i don't know if that affected anything. but that's when the polls were done. now we have a very tight race. gregory, what would you say? >> i would say the race is tighter than michael moore's girdle. hillary has locked more ground than a sloppy grave digger. screwed that one up. but she is like the location of lou dobbs' latest tattoo, left behind. >> i like that one. >> i like that one. >> i tell you, if she loses the first debate, it's over. i think it's now about this debate that she has to come back. because it's so close. and think, if she loses, if she
2:18 pm
loses this election, think what this will do to our speaking fees. especially with president obama now out on the circuit, no one is going to be paying what they normally pay. they're going to go to president obama first. she cannot be second to obama on the speaking circuit. that will be humiliating. >> and to michelle obama. >> that's true, and the other oba obamas. >> melissa, when we dig into the polls, it says on the issues, hillary clinton does have some reason for enthusiasm. she's good on the economy, experienced, temperament, health care and the like. 65% say trump is not qualified. 50% say he's biased against women and minorities. >> whenever somebody starts falling below in the line, they try to parse the news. what i think is interesting about the race is it has been more elastic than any where have seen. i wouldn't count anyone out. i think trump very much has the
2:19 pm
momentum right now. i agree with you that i think it is all about that first debate. the problem is that the clintons have set the bar so low for donald trump that if he doesn't walk in sort of frothing at the mouth and wearing a swastika, then i don't think that it's going to look like a victory. also, after the debate, i think it's really interesting that it's like everybody watched a different debate and their idea of who won is so dramatically different. we say it's going to matter who wins, but i guess each individual is the judge and we have no idea when it's over who won. >> donald trump jr. got into some trouble today because they wanted an apology because he said the way the democrats win, the primaries would open up the gas chambers. i don't know what's going on there. but eric, i think for you, you must be like, wow, look at the polls. you think the election is over? >> that's a trap. trap, trap. >> but polls indicate momentum and enthusiasm. and the momentum and enthusiasm has shifted to trump. interestingly, too, it's done it
2:20 pm
for thefirst time maybe in the whole cycle that the election is about her, not him. so all eyes have been on her for the last couple days, four or five days. and i think trump is enjoying that, at least certainly with the polling numbers. ohio, florida. you mentioned nevada, you didn't mention iowa and colorado, which have also gone in trump's favor. that's huge. in pennsylvania, michigan, and virginia, tightening as well. the big thing, though, and you have pushed back on this quite a bit here, juan, the senate races. rubio now solidly. mccain looks great. portman looks great. heck in nevada looks good. burr looks good. ayotte in new hampshire where everyone is saying donald trump is going to bring down kelly ayotte, she's up by eight points in new hampshire, and toomey in pennsylvania. so the momentum, look at the polls or don't. momentum in the campaign. >> and they pulled ads in colorado because they were so confident, and now she's in trouble here. she tried to depict him as
2:21 pm
somebody who was unstable or unreliable for the 3:00 a.m. call. he's answered back resoundingly by showing he is somebody who can be stable, can be presidential, going down to mexico, meeting with nieto. moment, juan. i'm not up. yeah, yeah. >> i wanted to ask you a question. >> no, i'm not done, juan. >> i thought you were done. >> no. >> it says -- >> no. >> i got the point. let me ask you a question. >> oh, my gosh. what is this. if i tell you my bmi, can i talk? >> half of the voters -- >> 17. >> harbor reservations about their candidate, and in large part, what they're doing is voting against the other candidate. so what kind of election if you're voting not for your guy, but you're voting -- >> you're also talking about unfavorables, for sure. part of the thing she tried to do in the past successfully and he has been able to respond back, back to my previous point, is by showing the fact he is
2:22 pm
presidential. now he's saying, guess what. she may be unfavorable, but you know what you're going to get with her. a third term of barack obama. take a chance on me, to quote a great abba song, and give him a chance, whether it's african-american communities or women, college educated, white wim aome women, hey, give me a chance. i'll go to detroit, i'll going to mexico. i'm going where there's flooding victims, all of these things to show he's ready for the task. that's going to help him with some of the undecideds and independents. >> you think he wins. >> he has a very good chance to win. ask larry sabato. >> it's a very unpredictable election. >> our producers put up a poll where they're tied in one and he she's winning in another. wasn't there one where he was up by five? >> maybe we're not allowed to use that. >> greg, you think he wins now? >> you know what this reminds me of init reminds me of trump
2:23 pm
during the primary where he grienl grinds everybody down so they ask like him. the two biggest mistakes hillary made were the deplorables and going on the 9/11 memorial with pneumonia. she did that because trump forced her to do it. he baits and then he switches. so he acts more presidential as she starts making more mistakes. she's going to start turning orange in a little while. i mean, if she really is actually allergic to trump. everybody who has lost to him is allergic to him. >> do you think he win snz i guess so. >> way too early. >> maybe she'll get a comb over. if you have a computer, you likely have your web cam on the top. stay tuned because the fbi director has some very important advice for your security. that's next. with this level of engineering...
2:24 pm
it's a performance machine. with this degree of intelligence... it's a supercomputer. with this grade of protection... it's a fortress. and with this standard of luxury... it's an oasis. introducing the completely redesigned e-class. it's everything you need it to be... and more. lease the e300 for $549 a month at your local mercedes-benz dealer. mercedes-benz. the best or nothing.
2:25 pm
americans are buying more and more of everything online. and so many businesses rely on the united states postal service to get it there. that's why we make more ecommerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. the united states postal service. priority: you siriusxm's free listening event that's might be over,ckin'. but now you can turn us back on with packages starting at $5.99 a month, plus fees. just call 855-874-7743 to keep hearing all the things that make you love taking the long way home. ♪ so call 855-874-7743 or visit siriusxm.com/getsxm to turn us back on. and up.
2:26 pm
the wolf was huffing and puffing. like you do sometimes, grandpa? well, when you have copd, it can be hard to breathe. it can be hard to get air out, which can make it hard to get air in. so i talked to my doctor. she said... symbicort could help you breathe better, starting within 5 minutes. symbicort doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. symbicort helps provide significant improvement of your lung function. symbicort is for copd, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. symbicort contains formoterol. medicines like formoterol increase the risk of death from asthma problems. symbicort may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. you should tell your doctor if you have a heart condition
2:27 pm
or high blood pressure before taking it. symbicort could mean a day with better breathing. watch out, piggies! (children giggle) symbicort. breathe better starting within 5 minutes. call or go online to learn more about a free trial offer. if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help. i just want to find a used car start at the new carfax.com show me used trucks with one owner. pretty cool. [laughs] ah... ahem... show me the carfax. start your used car search at the all-new carfax.com. very gently release the clutch. okay. that was too fast. so is managing your credit. get experian creditworks basic for free today and you can start getting better. you'll get access to your experian credit report
2:28 pm
and customer service experts to help answer your questions. so you can learn to be better. good job. start building your credit skills today for free. visit experian dot com slash free right now. experian®. be better at credit. modern technology has greatly enhanced our lives, but with the perks come great risks. a 60 minutes investigation showed us just how easy it is for hackers to break into our phones. >> john warned us he could spy on anyone through their own phone as long as the phone's camera had a clear view. we propped up the phone on my desk, set up cameras to record a demonstration. >> we're in business. >> then, he called from san francisco. and proved the hack worked. >> installed malware in your
2:29 pm
device that's broadcasting video from your phone. >> my phone is not even lit up. >> i understand, yeah. >> that's so creepy. >> we live in a world where we can't trust the technology we use. >> bill o'reilly expressed his concerns about hacking dangers last night on the program. >> there is no privacy in this world. hackers can get into your system. you can tape recorded at any time by anybody. you can be photographed without your knowledge and people can listen to your private conversations while you're in your home usingtic knowledge. what an awful situation. >> indeed. the fbi's director has a warning for all of us. cover your web cams. he does. >> you still have a piece of tape over your cameras at home. >> heck, yeah, and there's sensible things you ought to be doing, and that's one of them. you go in any government office, we all have our little camera things that sit on top of the screen, we all have a lid that closes down on hem. you do that so people don't have
2:30 pm
authority don't look at you. that's a good thing. >> okay, so everybody should do that, indeed. greg, you do that at your house? >> i do cover my web cam at certain times. look. as long as you live an honest life, why should you worry? because that's the argument that we hear from pro-assange people. why should you worry about hacking if your life is honest. i got that a lot yesterday. if you live a good life, you shouldn't worry. i'm sorry, privacy is about hiding things. it's about hiding stuff. your social security number is honest, your medical records are honest, your credit rating is honest, but you should bow able to hide them. i'm looking forward to the day that the people who are in love with assange get hacked by assange and i'll sick back with my red wine and look at all your naked pictures. >> was that a shot at bollig? >> he's not pro-assange. >> again, draw the line on a piece of paper, and hacking, stealing people's private information, not good.
2:31 pm
the other part where whistle blowing on activities that have been going on, illegally, unconstitutionally, is a big difference. >> think about this for a second. you remember when snowden first started leaking, telling the world what was going on. there were nsa agents who were actively looking into what their girlfriends and fiancees were doing through the internet, through the web, through their phones. i mean, come on. that's a vastly different thing than someone like assange who goes in and steals your private pictures. and by the way, no one is going on my camera. now, you guys perhaps, but certainly not mine. >> why is this? >> i'm -- there's not a big market for pictures of me working out. geraldo, perhaps, not me. >> can i be the devil's advocate for go for the other side? >> sure. >> you don't have to bother lying anymore. i mean, look at colin powell and how liberating that was. he got out there, he got to say
2:32 pm
what he really thinks about people. he got to say what he really thinks and he doesn't have to -- >> give me your password to your account, the one that has all of your financial records. give me your netflix password. can i have that. >> sure. >> excellent, and other passwords as well. >> you don't have to wear a girdle anymore because everyone is going to know what it really looks like, if they're going into your camera. we can live a free life because nothing is private any longer. it's fantastic. >> you go first. >> here's another problem. you know the news on the smart tvs, they have the camera thing at the top, too. there i was walking around in the privacy of my home and all of a sudden, boom. on the tv. me, yeah. it turned itself on and was recording me. >> are you that's what really happened? >> i swear. >> i think there's more to that story. >> i can attest because i was sitting in a tree while it was happening.
2:33 pm
>> with a remote control. >> my problem with this has to do with the fact that we all accept surveillance in public, if you're on the street, if you're walking down the street, if you're in the car driving, on the highway, surveillance everywhere. we accept this as a reality. i think, to me, i can't believe that jefferson and hamilton and washington would put up with any of this. that's the reason that they say there's no illegal search and seizure, but now -- >> ben franklin would love it. >> now the computers are involved in illegal searching. >> how do we stop it? the cat is out of the bag. >> cover the little thing. >> that's not going to do all of it. the television you're talking about has voice control and voice recognition. it's recording what you're saying. >> and it's -- i'm telling you, they have the ability like robots to turn themselves on and watch you and spy on you. >> you can't draw the line between public and private where you can say it's wrong to be stealing your information or stealing what you're doing in your apartment, but listen, when you step out in a public
2:34 pm
street -- >> but i don't think you can stop it. >> there's a difference. >> some of it is good because if there's a car accident, you can see what happens. >> or a crime. >> or a crime, hopefully. a lot of times they can manipulate that. they make movies out of this where they manipulate a video, and it starts, and it doesn't reveal what happens before. it's like the nba, someone gets fo fouled, you say you didn't see what happened. >> erase your history. >> okay. thank you. you can get out of my tree now, greg. >> want to know where your hard earned tax dollars are about to go? stay tuned for an eye-opening update next. in a world that needs a hero, justice is spelled b-o-x. say hello to a powerful tool that gives you options to fit your budget. ♪ oh, i'm tied to this chair! ♪ dun-dun-daaaa! i don't know that an insurance-themed comic book
2:35 pm
is what we're looking for. did i mention he can save people nearly $600? you haven't even heard my catchphrase. i'm all done with this guy. box him up. that's terrible. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [cellphone vibrating] do you want to answer that?
tv-commercial
2:36 pm
nah, i'd never with a kid in the car. it's ok. i'm not here. [phone vibrating multiple times] i'm there. he's a race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot. sage. donald trump is a phony, a fraud. he's not a serious adult. i can't vote for donald trump given the things that he said. trump should not be supported. i believe he's disqualified himself to be president.
2:37 pm
i just cannot support donald trump. did you or anyone in your household work around asbestos-containing gaskets, packing, or equipment? if you or a loved one have an asbestos-related disease, you may have a right to vote on a plan to reorganize and pay claims in the garlock/coltec bankruptcy. garlock's and coltec's products were used in industrial and maritime settings, including where steam, hot liquid or acid moved in pipes. votes must be filed by december 9, 2016 call 844-garlock or go to garlocknotice.com across new york state, from long island to buffalo, from rochester to the hudson valley, from albany to utica, creative business incentives, infrastructure investment, university partnerships, and the lowest taxes in decades
2:38 pm
are creating a stronger economy and the right environment in new york state for business to thrive. let us help grow your company's tomorrow- today at business.ny.gov well this here's a load-bearing wall. we'll go ahead and rip that out. that'll cause a lot of problems. hmm. totally unnecessary and it triples the budget. we'll be totally behind schedule, right? (laughschedules. schedules. great, okay. wouldn't it be great if everyone said what they meant? the citi® double cash card does. it lets you earn double cash back: 1% when you buy, and 1% as you pay. the citi double cash card. double means double. so most of us who work in america have to fork over part of our paychecks to this guy. uncle sam. we hope the government puts our money to good use. but we know that that is not
2:39 pm
always the case. a couple of new examples. the obama administration plans to spend more than $4 million next year on, quote, emotional wellness for refugees. the president plans to admit 110,000 of them in the next fiscal year, and then there is this plan the government is going to test out online grocery shopping for food stamp recipient in illinois. it's intended to increase food access to the poor. it might be abused and lead to fraud. i'm just speculating for a second. eric, states can submit applications to the refugee health promotion, rhp, and get discretionary grant funds they can spend on emotional wellness. what could possibly go wrong? >> there's probably a list of 4,000 or 1,000 items you can say the same thing about. 50 years ago, we declared war on poverty. the poverty rate was 15% then. we spent literally trillions of dollars every single year fighting poverty. and we're still at 14% poverty
2:40 pm
rate this year, which is down from 15% last year. the war on poverty hasn't worked. we spend way too much money handing over things, making foolish proposals, ideas like this. it's time to try to scale it back and incentivize people to work, not to not work. >> you know, i am such a fan of yours, but i gotta say that you're talking about children, for the most part. that's what you're talking about today when we talk about poverty. >> we're talking about emotional well being of refugees. >> he was talking about the war on poverty. i want to be clear, a lot of poverty comes from single parents who have children, and the children have a high degree of poverty. it's different when you go back to the new deal when it was elderly women like widows. >> 14% poverty rate. we spend probably, i don't know, $40 trillion or $50 trillion.
2:41 pm
>> we went through a terrible recession. let's go back to the immigrants. i do think it's a good idea if you're having immigrants, you want them to be well adjusted, accommodated, to feel as if they can assimilate into a community and don't live in separate -- i want them to love america. >> i don't know what this could possibly look like. if they're going to give millions of dollars for emotional wellness. it's got to be more structured, more specific. are we going to have any test of outcomes. what could this mean? i don't see how it doesn't get wasted. just a total cynic. okay, kimberly. >> yeah, when i hear this, i say, well, that sounds nice. but again, what are the specifics? what are they looking to achieve? and have they really figured out where these dollars are going to go and be targeted in an effective way? we're all being sort of humanitarian. this country is number one when it comes to giving relief and aid and humanitarian efforts throughout the world. amazing, but you know what else i think we need to do a better
2:42 pm
job of? taking care of our own as well. take care of the people that we have here. okay, in terms of what about the mental health needs of the children that are here already that are living in poverty, like eric has mentioned, or the families that are struggling? honest to god, we have a serious mental health problem in the country that needs to be addressed that could use some specifically targeted dollars to address that. good god, you have to be like greg gutfield smearing your body in peanut butter in the streets to get help. >> you promised you would not bring that up. you know that was a weak part of my life. >> i'm going to say a trigger word for you. creamy jiff. >> the online food stamps. >> i would rather talk about something else. i would rather talk about the refugee stuff. i am for the emotional wellness thing if it's defined by the ghouls that sneak through in the
2:43 pm
masses. america is about embracing the tired and weary, but the current struggle against islam makes that more important. isis just hung live humans on meat hooks like cattle. we officially no longer need horror movies because we have a 6.7 billion population freddy krueger movie going on right now. if you know freddy krueger is out there right now, you have to look at it as a moral decision to lock up your house, arm your house, and kill freddy krueger. >> let's clarify. a percentage of that population. >> i'm not saying the population of the world is a horror movie. there's 7 billion people in a horror movie, and islamism is freddy krueger. an elaborate metaphor, but you can't just kill part of freddy krueger. you have to kill all of it. >> sometimes he comes back. >> it keeps coming back. >> that's like jason in friday the 13th. >> i was thinking of using that
2:44 pm
metaphor. >> what made you decide to go with freddy? >> because he's scarier. >> that hockey mask is pretty scary. >> also chucky. >> very scary as well. ia great conversation. >> ahead, a college teen warns incoming freshman that free speech will prevail, but faculty members have waged a revolt. why? greg will explain it next. at safelite, we know how busy life can be.
2:45 pm
these kids were headed to their first dance recital... ...when their windshield got cracked... ...but they couldn't miss the show. so dad went to the new safelite-dot-com. and in just a few clicks, he scheduled a replacement... ...before the girls even took the stage. safelite-dot-com is the fast, easy way to schedule service anywhere in america! so you don't have to miss a thing. y'all did wonderful! that's another safelite advantage. (girls sing) safelite repair, safelite replace.
2:46 pm
2:47 pm
2:48 pm
a few weeks ago, the university of chicago dean of students sent a letter to new freshmen where he bravely rejected safe spaces. safe spaces are where ideas different from the students' are actually banned. his point was a real education requires debate, not ball pits for buries. a new letter signed by more than 150 faculty disagrees with him, saying students should demand areas free from other points of view. they say safe spaces are needed for the free exchange of ideas. yeah, blocking different ideas is now part of a free exchange. that's diversity? they also lauded trigger warnings which warn the weak of ideas that might cause a boo-boo, but should this faculty letter also require a trigger
2:49 pm
warning? after all, it insults the students, claiming they need psychological bubble wrap. fact is, safe spaces are less safe than lawn darts dipped in rat poison. for those who flee to villas and victimhood, they never learn conflict resolution and will flunk in the real world. the real world is no safe space. try eating at chipotle, the real students will flourish while the safe spacers become a spineless underclass. imagine applying safe spaces into other arenas of life. you would never grow. demanding unity from such challenges is demanding an exemption from life. after all, the ultimate safe space is a coffin. >> that was pretty aggressive at the end. >> that's okay. >> the rest of it was amazing. yeah, because the problem is, you have a bunch of little precious snowflakes. everyone thinks it's like a
2:50 pm
disney movie. right. that is not reality. it is doing a disservice to young people because they cannot create an alternate safe universe for themselves from the real world. i mean, god help us if these people are going into the into . whine and complain about all these things. i'm not kidding. like, it's one thing to be respectful, but how about open and diverse to viewpoints, and freedom of speech, and not abridge the first amendment rights, because you say this made me feel uncomfortable. we all know when something crosses the line, but what about, to me, it is crossing the line when you shut down freedom of speech and tell people to edit every single thing they're thinking because they could possibly offend somebody somewhere. >> amen. >> free thinking, smart thinking, which would obviously include all forms of thought, right. >> right. >> but again, they shut down the thought that doesn't fit into
2:51 pm
this 150 professors, say it won't be cool to do that. by the way, i sent my son to college this year, and i keep hearing these stories, minnesota, they replaced algebra, it is insane how bad our kids will be prepared for the world stage when they graduate. they'll. >> robots. >> they'll get their butts handed because they're not learning the core things they need to learn. algerba, my son is getting his butt kicked. it's better. i'm happy it's happening now, because he'll be more prepared. >> safe space for math. >> i agree with you guys on the gener general principle, but i wanted to make this a serious conversation. the argument is most of the culture dominated by white and white men. i was reading, for example, you have pictures of sciencetists.
2:52 pm
>> let me clarify what that comment -- what do you mean most of the culture is dominated by whites and white men? >> well, look at movies. >> can i make my point? >> go ahead. >> so you know, for example, there are pictures of scientists in books or on the wall and they're all white men. you say now, if a student, a woman or niminority, or is thisn exclusive club. i gave you an example i thought of for you. you like rap music. is it okay, i just read this, you're listening to rap music to use the n word? >> no. >> okay, i'm just saying. >> why are you bringing that up? >> if somebody says to greg, hey, greg, you're credit to your race, brother, you say, well. >> why did you call him brother? >> you're almost saying like i can't watch the nba because i'm short. and these tall
2:53 pm
people. >> no, but the question is, are you creating a hostile or difficult environment for a young person on campus. that's the point. >> because you have white inventors. >> no, no, no. >> juan, can i ask you the question. walking through the hall, i would not be intimidated if it was all men on the wall who were scientists, would you feel intimidated if they were all white. >> i really do. not only that. the big example is the white woman on the elevator, when the black guy gets on, she is clutching her purse. what the hell is going on here. >> juan, glass houses. >> that's an urban legend. >> what happened to you on the plane with npr. >> urban legend. >> you got in trouble for that, juan. >> about you on the plane.
2:55 pm
what if a company that didn't make cars made plastics that make them lighter? the lubricants that improved fuel economy. even technology to make engines more efficient. what company does all this? exxonmobil, that's who. we're working on all these things to make cars better and use less fuel. helping you save money and reduce emissions.
2:56 pm
and you thought we just made the gas. energy lives here. siriusxm's free listening event that's might be over,ckin'. but now you can turn us back on with packages starting at $5.99 a month, plus fees. just call 855-874-7743 to keep hearing all the things that make you love taking the long way home. ♪ so call 855-874-7743 or visit siriusxm.com/getsxm to turn us back on. and up. marcopolo! marco...! polo! marco...! polo! marco...! polo! marco...! sì? polo! marco...! polo! scusa?
2:57 pm
ma io sono marco polo, ma... marco...! playing "marco polo" with marco polo? surprising. ragazzini, io sono marco polo. sì, sono qui... what's not surprising? how much money amanda and keith saved by switching to geico. ahhh... polo. marco...! polo! fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more. polo! all right, time for one more thing. 8:00 tonight, you're going to want to see this on o'reilly factor, oliver stone sits down with bill. here's a quick piece. >> cyber warfare was started in 2007 and it has increased its capabilities and now it has reached the point that anybody can hack. >> out of control. >> surveillance, a surveillance free-for-all. >> check it out. i have a very exciting
2:58 pm
kimberly food. all right, did you know that september 15th is national double cheeseburger day. that's correct. in honor of the ultimately pre-dickab pre-di pre-dipre dictable move. see what happens. >> i would still like to have it. >> carl jr. would be all over your face. time for great celebrity corner. exciting news. one of my favorite movie stars, jonah hill was captured at a spa enjoying some of the many, what they call chess massages that you get. jonah has put on more weight. still very hairy, but he loves getting his neck massaged. look at jonah. loves every minute of it. >> i like that too. >> very nice.
2:59 pm
>> is that hammer doing the massage? >> it is. ellen took michelle obama to cbs, they call it cotton, vaseline and stuff. made the first lady push the cart, introduced her to coupons, as well as box wine, credit card machine, but here she is, introducing her to a halloween mask. >> oh, wait. >> bernie sanders? no. >> it's halloween. i thought it was. >> it's not. >> that didn't look like bernie sanders. >> no, not at all. autumn festival in china, they take time off to look at the moon. look what happened. nobody got hurt. i want to say right out front. now you can feel free to laugh. it tumbled all around town, hurting no one, but apparently,
3:00 pm
the autumn moon turned violent. it's hard to follow. >> hashtag. >> that's real. >> #double cheeseburger day. this is a fox news alert, i'm bret baier in washington. donald trump momentum has brought this presidential race into a virtual tie. the just released fox news poll indicate trump has pulled ahead of hillary clinton in it a head to head match up by a single point and within a single point of clinton in a four-way race, well within the margin of error. this matches the clear trend of a momentum shift in the race, towards trump. in other national and battleground state polls of likely voters. trump is ready for primetime and late night this evening, after speaking at lunchtime in new york. he'll appear on the

187 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on