Skip to main content

tv   The Kelly File  FOX News  October 9, 2016 8:00pm-9:01pm PDT

8:00 pm
breaking tonight on a day like no other, a debate like none we've ever seen. accusations and even a group of bill clinton sexual assault victims brought into the hall. all comes as mr. trump tries to turn the page on his own problems with women thanks to a videotape that's been the talk of the nation. i'm megyn kelly. reporting tonight from st. louis in spin alley. we've got a lot to get to tonight, not the least of which is the second of three presidential debates. the debate got off to an ugly start early with the candidates barely acknowledges one another
8:01 pm
on the stage, even refusing to shake hands. moments in, watch, look at this. just the nod. talk turned to that tape of donald trump. that surfaced just over 48 hours ago in which he and billy bush of "access hollywood" formerly spoke about women in lewd terms. here's what mr. trump had to say about that tape. >> we received a lot of questions online about the tape that was released on friday. you called what you said locker room banter. you described kissing women without consent, grabbing their genitals. that is sexual assault. you bragged that you have sexually assaulted women. do you understand that? >> no, i didn't say that at all. i don't think you understood. this was locker room talk. i'm not proud of it. i apologize to my family, i apologize to the american people. certainly i'm not proud of it, but this is locker room talk. when we have a world where you have isis chopping off heads, where you have and frankly drowning people in steel cages,
8:02 pm
where you have wars and horrible, horrible sights all over, where you have so many bad things happening, this is like medieval times. >> just for the record, though, are you saying that what you said on the bus that you did not actually kiss women without consent? >> i have great respect for women. nobody has more respect for women than i do. >> for the record, you're saying you never did that. >> that frankly, you hear these things, they're said. i was embarrassed by it. but i have tremendous respect for women. >> have you ever done those things. >> -- have respect for me. and i will tell you, no, i have not. >> this is supposed to be a debate focused on the issues. fix his mistakes from the first debate and focus on hurricane hbs's short comings. instead the opening half hour was spent focusing on personal attacks and that trump tape. here's a quick reminder of what he said that caused the controversy back in 2005. >> i will use some tic tacs just
8:03 pm
in case i start kissing her. i'm automatically attracted to beautiful -- i just start kissing them. like a magnet. i don't even -- and when you're a star, they let you do it. you can do anything. >> whatever you want. >> grab them by the [ bleep ]. do anything. >> hillary clinton was not out of the woods herself. remember, on the same day the trump tape dropped wikileaks dropped a bunch of documents that it says shows excerpts of her paid speeches that he's refused to release. it appears to suggest that she says one thing in public and something else in private. we'll get to all of this and ask the questions of our lineup. right after that, we'll hear from campaign insiders including kellyanne conway and katrina pearson. we begin the night with chris steigerwald and howie kurtz.
8:04 pm
what did you think? >> well, donald trump -- it's funny. if you imagine that the sex tape thing hadn't happened or the hot mike thing hadn't happened, we would be telling a whole different story about donald trump today. we'd be saying he was more disciplined, better prepared, the comeback for donald trump. but because he fail to move the inventory on that, because it batted it away instead of showing a contrite heart and because he brought the people in who were bill clinton's accusers and made that the headlines tomorrow and the story coming out of this will be all about that. it will be all about that stuff and overshadow his improved performance. >> i thought they were more aggressive with donald trump than with hillary clinton, martha martha radatz started with the foreign policy. he got off to this strange
8:05 pm
exchange. i thought he had tough moments in that personal first half hour when he strangely pivoted from just locker room talk to beheading of isis and then by the way, hillary ought to be in jail. >> like i want be strong. he maintains that his attacks on people prove how strong he is. >> right, but after that, megyn, he seemed to find his rhythm. hillary was a little bit more on the defensive as the conversation turned more to her record. in the end he battled back to a draw. when you consider the sheer media hell he's been through, that has to be a moral victory. >> i don't know that he considers this hell. it's called life. things happen. it's called life. which is actually kind of a nice 30,000-foot perspective from somebody under fire handling it pretty gracefully. but that ignores then ko tent of what we saw and how repulsive how many americans found it. how will anyone get past the first 30 minutes tomorrow.
8:06 pm
>> this is a debate for his base. he turned in a performance that his base wanted. he attacked on the sex stuff as opposed to showing contrition. but i want to tell you that right near where we are here in suburban st. louis, the voters who he needs are right here. they're suburban white people with college degrees who have been reticent to support trump. he didn't give them anything tonight. he gave his base a nice happy feeling. if you like donald trump -- this was a primary debate performance, not so much a general election debate. >> to that point here's just a little bit of the anger that we captured on tape tonight. watch. >> it's just not threw. and so please -- >> allow her to respond, please. >> personal e-mails. >> 33,000? >> well, we turned over 35,000. >> oh, yeah. what about the other 15,000? >> please allow her to respond. she didn't talk when you talked. >> that's true. i didn't. >> because you had nothing to say. >> okay, donald, i know you're
8:07 pm
into big diversion tonight, anything to avoid talking about your campaign and the way it's exploding and the way republicans are leaving you. >> let's see what happens -- >> allow her to respond. >> i like to know anderson, why aren't you bringing up the e-mails? >> i brought up the e-mails. >> no, it hasn't. and it hasn't been finished at all. >> a question. >> nice. one on three. >> what did you make of that. >> it was trump attacking hillary, hillary deflecting and you've been attacking blacks, muslims, latinos all of which helps her base. he was much more aggressive. here's the thing. many top republicans have been bailing on this guy. he needed to convey a sense that he's stabilizing his campaign. he might have done that since he did gain in the last hour. people stayed up for the whole thing. >> that's all about addition. guys, great to see you both. so tonight the kelly file is
8:08 pm
polling its own focus group made up of undecided missouri voters. three different colored lines that correspond to each of the three groups. the yellow line are those still undecided, the green line leans clinton. joining me now is frank lutz. >> it's been a great group here in st. louis. they walked in here undecided but how many of you just before this began, how many of you lind towards donald trump, raise your hands. only a few of you. how many leaned towards hillary clinton before the start? now tell me which candidate had the biggest impact on your vote tonight? who says hillary clinton? who says donald trump? wow. i want a phrase to describe donald trump's performance. >> skirting the issues. >> i feel he was much improved. >> calm and strong. >> he had practice. >> he seemed more presidential. >> much improved. >> much improved. >> the bar set so low for him.
8:09 pm
>> more researched. >> explain to me hillary clinton's performance tonight. >> inclusive. >> still think she sounds disingenuous. >> frustrated. >> not worthy of my vote. >> same old, same old. >> typical. >> not a single new idea. >> she's educated and she's got a plan. >> frustrated. >> experience based. >> nothing new and she didn't apologize to any of those women that she bashed. >> now, this is significant. i want to play for you one of the most important moments at the very beginning of the debate. it's donald trump explaining the language that he used that's been so controversial over the last 48 hour. one him explaining it and then him at his worse. let's play the tape. >> i apologized to my family, i apologized to the american people. certainly i'm not proud of it, but this is locker room talk. you know, when we have a world where you have isis chopping off heads, where you and frankly
8:10 pm
drowning people in steel cages where you have wars and horrible, horrible sights all over -- >> just for the record, though, are you saying that what you said on that bus 11 years ago that you did not actually kiss women without consent or grope women without consent? >> i have great respect for women. no one has more respect for women than i do. >> you say you didn't do these things. >> frankly, you hear these things. they're said. >> here's my question, has he finally put it behind him? did this debate serve as a pivot, yes or no? >> it should be because what somebody says alongside what somebody does is different. >> no, i don't think this should be put behind him. this is an issue of character. i have daughters. i cannot believe -- >> my thing is because trump, it's like he said, locker room talk. i've been around some great buddies who have never done anything at all. >> i would like to think that men do not say things like that in locker rooms. and if they do, we should have
8:11 pm
women running things. >> we do not regulate morality but make sure the person who is leading our country is a person that will be respectful. >> w with a little more information from our group, but megyn, this is the first time of the three debates that there's been any genuine movement. i have to acknowledge something here. i thought it was all over for donald trump. and when these walked in here, i was pretty sure of it. based on their response, and i hope to bring more of it to you later in the show, i have to change my mind. i actually think tonight was so significant that he is back in this race. >> frank luntz, thank you, sir. we showed you how donald trump handled the question about the 2005 comment. here's how mrs. clinton then responded. >> you know, with prior republican nominees for president, i disagreed with them. politics, policies, principles. but i never questioned their fitness to serve.
8:12 pm
donald trump is different. i said starting back in june that he was not fit to be president and commander in chief and many republicans and independents have said the same thing. what we all saw and heard on friday was donald talking about women, what he thinks about women, what he does to women, and he has said that the video doesn't represent who he is. but i think it's clear to anyone who heard it that it represents exactly who he is. >> katrina pearson is the trump campaign national spokesperson. >> great to be here, thank you. >> what of that? because she's trying to expand it beyond the tape. yes, the women is a big issue for him. but where was his apology for the khan family, for judge curiel and all others you heard
8:13 pm
her list. >> mr. trump did give a statement early on saying that he said some things that he regretted. >> it was generic. >> there were a number of things he's done in fighting because he's been fighting against both sides of the establishment, against the media. and he says when you have those contentious debates you do say things and he did. >> but it wasn't a debate when he attacked judge curiel saying he can't decide his case. >> that's mainly because of his position on the border. >> he was saying because he has hispanic parents, and trump wants to build this wall, he make make a good decision. >> but that's why he made the statement. >> no, he was asked repeatedly. he said he's a mexican, which he wasn't. he's from india. but her point is it's not just women. he's said so many controversial things. on the women front, let me ask
8:14 pm
you because you come on the show all the time. you obviously love trump and you're a great defender of his. but when you saw that tape, what was your reaction? >> look, i have two brothers, i was in sports, so i was around a lot of athletes. this truly was two men who had what they thought was a private conversation talking about an attractive woman. >> your brothers talk about grabbing women by the genitals? >> i don't know what i talk about specifically because when i walk in the room they stop those conversations. >> they talk about grabbing women by the genitals and doing whatever they want with them. >> and that's the entertainment culture. this was two guys having a discussion. nothing actually took place. they were 11 years ago. the bigger point here. >> he was 59 years old then, not like he was 20. >> no, but two men having a private discussion. we can have private discussions. women have private discussions even at my age.
8:15 pm
>> i've never had a discussion like that in my life. >> but we do have discussions in private that would embarrass us in public. >> yes. >> when we think we are alone, that's exactly what this was. >> you think he can recover with women? tonight he said, i respect women and the audience erupted in laughter. >> no, i absolutely do think he can. because there are women who already supported mr. trump. in the primaries he won with women overwhelmingly. >> those were republicans. >> we do see several form democrat women who are working on the campaign in support of mr. trump because a lot of these women they're not wanting to elect a father figure or even a role model. they knew that he wasn't an altar boy. they need someone who can break up the monopolies and stop career politicians. >> have you ever heard him use terms like that? >> he does not talk like that to people. this was a private discussion between two men. >> how about mike pence? is there any chance that mike pence is not saying on as the
8:16 pm
vice presidential nominee. >> that's not true at ul. >> they're united. >> they are united. >> and to those republicans who are abandoning trump and being highly critical of him including reince priebus, what say you? >> i say there are republicans who are looking out for themselves. they wanted to have some say. they're running their own races. this is the problem we've had and those republicans really need to think about why the primary voters supported trump. democrats rallied behind president clinton as he was engaging in explicit activity in the observal office. these are words mr. trump used. there's a reason people support mr. trump. >> hillary clinton tonight had to answer for a document dump from wikileaks. the group released what it is calling transcripts of mrs. clinton's paid private speeches, the ones he didn't want to disclose for months in the
8:17 pm
primary including remarks like politics is like sausage being made. it's unsavory, and it's always been that way but we usually end up where we need to be. if everybody is watching you know, all the back room discussions and the deals, then people get a little nervous, to say the least. so you need both a public and a private position. here's how that played out tonight. >> this question involves wikileak, one line in particular in which you, secretary clinton, reportedly say you need both a public and private position on certain issues. so, two, from virginia asked is it okay for politicians to be two-faced? is it acceptable for a politician to have a private stance on issues? >> right. as i recall, that was something i said about abraham lincoln after having seen the wonderful steven spielberg movie called "lincoln." president lincoln was trying to
8:18 pm
convince some people, he used some arguments, convincing other people, he used other arguments. that was a great -- i thought, a great display of presidential leadership. >> now she's blaming the lie on the late great abraham lincoln. that's one that i db honest abe never lied. that's the big difference between abraham lincoln and you. that's a big, big difference. >> joining us to respond robert zimmerman. you got to give him that. it was a good line, a quick retort. >> any time donald trump quotes abraham lincoln, it's funny. he's more inclined to quote andrew dice clay. but it doesn't change the reality that whatever the issue of wikileaks come up -- and let's be clear -- they're not authenticated by this network or any other network -- >> she's denying the content. >> but the point is that vladimir putin and the russians are trying to change the dialogue in this conversation to help donald trump is the bigger
8:19 pm
issue. and the fact that donald trump keeps calling vladimir putin a leader. this man was a dictator and a murderer and he keeps praising him as a leader. that's the issue. donald trump made very few references to wikileaks. >> one of the discussions was over syria and he accused hillary of failing. she said she was not in the office. that's not true. august of 2012 is when obama drew the red line, she didn't leave office until 2013. she was there. you tell me why she should not be held accountable for that policy. >> donald trump supported the invasion into syria. >> this is about her. >> he supported the hypocrisy of his position, where he lied about his position about iraq and he said he didn't support
8:20 pm
the war and he did. >> you're dodging. she was there when president obama drew the red line. >> let's be clear about this, megyn. she was making reference to the point where he had the press conference and backed off from the red line. she felt very strongly about pursuing an aggressive policy in syria. it's a very tough situation because there were no easy options. >> i got it. but let me ask you about the women. because trump brought out the four women, these accusers of bill clinton. and he is painting hillary as their enabler. in particular he points to -- well, juanita broderick who claims she was raped by bill clinton and threatened by hillary thereafter. paula jones who claims she was sexually assaulted by him. he paid her money to settle the case. and kathleen willy who said she was assaulted by bill clinton in the oval office and hillary made her life a living hel after that. and then later was caught on
8:21 pm
tape laughing about the case in what sounded like a very callous way. why shouldn't the american people who are offended by trump's comments about women be equally offended by hillary and bill's treatment of these women? >> first of all, let's be factual about this. she was not laughing about the rapist at all. she was laughing about the polygraph test and she was a lawyer assigned to that case regarding the rapist. the bigger point here is the fact that donald trump brought these allegations into the debate just as a means of his own candidacy and credentials. if he thinks he can blame women just diminishes his credibility entirely. this tactic fails because the idea that he was trying to blame hillary clinton is a failed strategy and lose even more support amongst women. >> great to see good to be with
8:22 pm
>> in august you may recall yours truly asked mr. trump a question on women. and charles krauthammer is here. a moment that got such an audience reaction, moderators had to tell the crowd to settle down. plus kelly anne conway is here. don't go away. >> it's just words, folks. just words. those words, i've been hearing them for many yearsp pi heard them when they were running for the senate in new york where hillary was going to bring back jobs to upstate new york and she failed. i have asthma... ...one of many pieces in my life. so when my asthma symptoms kept coming back on my long-term control medicine. i talked to my doctor and found a missing piece in my asthma treatment with breo.
8:23 pm
once-daily breo prevents asthma symptoms. breo is for adults with asthma not well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. breo won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. breo opens up airways to help improve breathing for a full 24 hours. breo contains a type of medicine that increases the risk of death from asthma problems and may increase the risk of hospitalization in children and adolescents. breo is not for people whose asthma is well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. once your asthma is well controlled, your doctor will decide if you can stop breo and prescribe a different asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. do not take breo more than prescribed. see your doctor if your asthma does not improve or gets worse. ask your doctor if 24-hour breo could be a missing piece for you. see if you're eligible for 12 months free at mybreo.com. when i was too busy with the kids to get a repair estimate. liberty did what? yeah, with liberty mutual all i needed to do to get an estimate was snap a photo of the damage and voila!
8:24 pm
voila! (sigh) i wish my insurance company had that... wait! hold it... hold it boys... there's supposed to be three of you... where's your brother? where's your brother? hey, where's charlie? charlie?! you can leave worry behind when liberty stands with you. liberty stands with you™ liberty mutual insurance
8:25 pm
8:26 pm
breaking tonight new fallout from one of the most dramatic moments of the night. donald trump brought four women into the debate hall, the accusers that charged bill clinton of sexual assault and worse. and trump launched this attack from the debate stage. >> i'm not proud of it, but that was something that happened. if you look at bill clinton, far worse. mine are words and his was action. his was what he's done to women. there's never been anybody in the history of politics in this nation that's been so abusive to women. hillary clinton attacked those same women and attacked them viciously. four of them here tonight. one of the women, who is a wonderful woman at 12 years old was raped at 12.
8:27 pm
her client, she represented, got him off and she's seen laughing on two separate occasions, laughing at the girl that was raped. kathy shelton, that young woman is here with us tonight. so don't tell me about words, but what president clinton did, he was impeached, he lost his license to practice law, he had to pay an $850,000 fine to one of the women, paula jones, who is also here tonight. and i will tell you that when hillary brings up a point like that and she talks about words and i said 11 years ago, i think it's disgraceful and i think she should be ashamed of herself, if you want to know the truth. >> can we please hold the applause. >> joining me now trump campaign manager kellyanne conway. great to see you. >> thank you, megyn. >> the down side potentially is that it backfires on him. that's what some people have
8:28 pm
been saying. don't play the bill hillary women card. >> these women wanted to be heard. we were happy to have them as our guests tonight. i'm proud of donald trump for raising it in exactly the right way. how does hillary clinton treat these women after the fact? did she agree that they are among the, quote, sexual assault victims that she -- or. >> just for the record, two of the three women there who are accusing him had given sworn testimony under oath that bill clinton never touched them. there's real questions in those cases whether they are victims. i pass no individual judgment on it. it's never been proven in a court of law. >> you and i both know that sexual assault victims are very afraid to come forward, afraid to tell the truth. they sometimes feel like it's their fault. >> why would hillary rush to aid them when they were -- they had
8:29 pm
given sworn testimony that he didn't touch them? and in one case 21 years later came out and said, yes he did. >> juanita broderick in the press availability that we allowed tonight, she just very poignantly said bill clinton raped me and hillary clinton attacked me three weeks later. i just heard her say it to cbs news again. this is her chance to tell her story. let me make very clear. the whole point here is how did hillary clinton treat them. if she's going to stand up and be some kind of joan of arc for all women, donald trump is right, where is the product? where is the deliverable? why are millions of women in poverty? >> i'll let you make that point. but juanita broderick she alleged that in 1978 he raped her but she denied that under oath repeatedly. it took her 21 years to change her story, there were no witnesses, no charges brought and no one from the white house
8:30 pm
had ever pressured her to stay silent and that there had been no intimidation. >> she's not on trial here. >> but you're offering her up as somebody hillary clinton should have gone and supported. i'm telling you even she was saying for 21 years it didn't happen. >> i'm offering her up as someone that hillary clinton should not have attacked according to juanita broderick's story. why didn't hillary clinton say one tenth of what you just said about? she totally ignored all four of those women including the one that was raped at 12 years old. >> but a defense lawyer for her. >> and she also -- you read the case. hillary rodham is also that attorney that said that the girl had fantasized and she made a 12-year-old girl seem like this oversexualized aggressive toward men. this is before the rape shield law, which you and i know that thank god there are rape shield laws. so this was two years before
8:31 pm
they had that in arkansas, as i understand. >> let's talk about trump in 2005, what was your reaction? >> mine was similar to melania trump's reaction, this is offensive. i'm not going to excuse what he said on the tapes. i'm really glad that he apologized, that he asked for forgiveness, that's what people in that situation should do. but i have to look at a full measure of an individual and i know donald trump to be very gracious and a gentleman. >> he's never referred to you as any of those -- >> never, never. >> the c word or anything. >> i wouldn't be sitting here. >> the p word. this is not presidential politics today. >> everything said on friday, you should go back and take a strong, hard look at what he said friday night in his video post. as he has gone around this country he's learned so much for people and he's running for those people.
8:32 pm
he and mike pence will continue to run on behalf of those folks who don't have a voice and those forgotten women who are looking for him to bring back jobs and to defeat isis. he did apologize. and i think that's the measure of a person. i think tonight was very important also was that there's a difference between words and action. you can appreciate -- >> there are allegations that he took actions against women as well. >> but you're talking about a tape -- >> on the tape. he is admitting he hit on a married woman. >> everyone can listen to the tape for themselves. >> he said i went after her like a b-word and that she was married, about nancy o'dell from "access hollywood." >> i don't know who it was about. i can't confirm that. i'm just telling you who he is as a client and a husband and a father. >> you're with him. >> i'm with him shoulder to shoulder and i've been with him many times alone. i find him nothing but gracious. there are members of congress
8:33 pm
who have rubbed up against women and who have put their tongues in their mouth uninvited. maybe when i was younger and prettier, maybe that happened to me. there are people on their high horses accusing him of being this awful person. and really the words that were most harmful is saying he's running around having sexual thoughts, no, he's not. >> because i grab them by the genitals. >> i think it's horrible talk. i didn't say that. i did not say that. we know who the two guys were. he said he didn't mean it that way. he's sorry for it. he's a changed man. he doesn't speak that way. >> but to talk about those losers in congress. >> let's do that. >> we'll work on them next. >> we can name them and shame them. shouldn't have i don't. >> she became very powerful. tough for you. >> great to see you. >> so in addition to the issue of trump's remarks and bill
8:34 pm
clinton's past, trump also went after clinton on the e-mail issue much to the delight of his supporters, accusing her of destroying evidence and suggesting she dodged a bullet. >> people have been -- their lives have been destroyed for doing one-fifth of what you've done. and it's a disgrace. honestly, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. >> secretary clinton, i'm going to let you talk about it -- >> everything he just said is absolutely false, but i'm not surprised. in first debate -- >> the audience needs to calm down here. >> i was told that it would be impossible to be fact checking donald all the time. i'd never get to talk about anything i want to do and how we're going to really make lives better for people. so once again, go to hillary clinton.com. we have literally trump, you can fact check him in realtime. last time at the first debate we had millions of people fact checking. so i expect we'll have millions more fact checking because, you
8:35 pm
know, it is -- it's just awfully good that someone with the temperament of donald trump is not in charge of the law in our country. >> because you'd be in jail. >> that was a popular moment for some inside the debate hall. joining me now to discuss attorney david wall is a trump supporter and austan goolsbee who served as president obama's chief economist. the crowd loved that line. even those who like hillary clinton know she did wrong when it comes to those e-mails and she misled about it. >> one of the first things he said he's going to do is appoint a special prosecutor which should have been done months ago to look into this. are you kidding me? 33,000 e-mails deleted. we know that everybody involved in her home server gets immunity. i've been practicing law for 27 years i've never seen a case where everyone is given immunity in exchange for nothing.
8:36 pm
you are given immunity to kill the case against hillary clinton. >> and the fbi will destroy your computer afterwards. >> and the cell phones that contained top secret information with a sledgehammer. bea bleach bit on the e-mail server. even god can't recover it. >> we saw a much more aggressive donald trump tonight. he handled it as best he could, but then it was -- i mean, he kept going after her. you tell me whether we saw a better donald trump and a better performance by donald trump tonight. >> i thought at several points along there he seemed a little unhinged, and i thought he's probably not helping his case with republican women voters the times when he's making faces, interrupting, then it seemed like he got up and was looming over her, trying to intimidate her. at several points i'll give donald trump credit. i did not think after the first debate that he would be able to
8:37 pm
talk about serious policy issues at any length. at several points in there i thought there was a good discussion debate between them about tax policy. i thought there were the beginnings of a good discussion about some of the foreign policy. he did okay for himself on that. but i really think that these issues of temperament he did not put to rest. and he was trying. you could see him just trying to get her to give some indication that she was upset or to show that she had a bad temperment, and she wouldn't take the bait. >> let me ask you about that because a lot of trump supporters saw him getting in the moderator's faces like it's three on one, great. and interrupting hillary a fair amount. the moderators had to stand him down a couple times. yeah, there's our fighter. that's part of why they love him. they're sick of not having fighters on their behalf. speak to whether you think these middle of the road women are --
8:38 pm
hold on a second. here's hillary on her plane. let's take a quick listen. >> my entire team is waiting for this -- >> how do you think you did? was it tougher than you expected? >> no. you know, i pretty much saw what i expected to see. and that's why, you know, first thing i said was this is something that i've been saying since june, that he's not fit to be president and commander in chief and there are a lot of people who said it before and increasingly more adding that to the chorus. >> and what did president clinton say to you afterwards? >> -- a voter and he was right behind you. could you tell? >> i could tell, yes. well, you know, it's a very small space. i tried to give him space when he was talking to people.
8:39 pm
i would go back and lean up against my stool. but he was very present. >> were you surprised by the -- >> we're going to take off. >> were you surprised by that -- >> nothing surprises me about him. really, dan. i was surprised -- >> hillary clinton saying he got what she thought tonight. asking her about him walking around and whether that will play with middle of the road voters. >> i thought assertive but not aggressive. instead of yelling and shouting like he did, interrupting the first debate, he really sort of had this passive aggressive approach letting her sort of flame out in front of him and then taking control of the debate. the moderator at times were agitators and going after him in my view much more so than they did with her. but trump in a tko.
8:40 pm
>> often the moderators did go after trump more than hillary. having been a moderator. sometimes you have to jump in because you have to get them sort of back on the question you asked. your thoughts. >> i thought that they were, a, going after both candidates. that is not true that they only went after donald trump. the thing that they did more to donald trump than he did to her is tell him he's over his time and it's nopt his turn to speak. and they needed to do that because donald trump would do this thing where he gives an answer, then while she gives her answer he interrupts her answer then he demands a second answer to the question. and they basically said no, you can't do that. >> i thought she had a candy crowley moment, when she was describing why we telegraph our hits on isis before we do it, she started explaining this is how we do it. >> she got criticism for being in the debate.
8:41 pm
>> go ahead. >> it's a conspiracy and the conspiracy is the moderators are against trump, the fbi's against trump, hurricane illary clintont trump, donald trump has found the accusers of bill clinton and why didn't hillary clinton respond to those accusers. and it's just one after the other to try to take the focus off of where it's been. >> that type that we all saw so many times. great to see you both. near the beginning of today's debate, anderson cooper noted that over the last 48 hours this entire 2016 race became about one thing, the 2005 trump remarks and on a larger level his relationship with women. you would have thought it was the first time this issue came up as though this moment in 2015 never happened. watch. >> mr. trump, one of the things people love about you is you
8:42 pm
speak your mind and you don't use a politician's filter. however, that is not without its down sides. in particular when it comes to women. you call women you don't like fat pigs, dogs, slobs and disgusting animals. your twitter account -- >> only rosie o'donnell. >> no, it wasn't. your twitter account -- >> thank you. >> for the record it was well beyond rosie o'donnell. your twitter account has several disparaging comments about women's looks. you once told a contestant on celebrity apprentice it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees. does that sound like the temperament of a man who should be elected president? and that you are part of the war
8:43 pm
on women? >> i think the big problem this country has is being politically correct. i've been -- and frankly what i say and oftentimes it's fun, it's kidding. we have a good time. what i say is what i say. and honestly, megyn, if you don't like it, i'm sorry. i've been very nice to you, although i could probably maybe not be based on the way you have treated me, but i wouldn't do that. but you know what? >> joining me now, charles krauthammer, a syndicated columnist and fox news contributor. good to see you. it's been really remarkable to see the damage that the women issue has done to trump just in the past month when all of these issues were raised in august of 2015. your thoughts? >> well, he has shown himself as a reformed man. i'm not sure that a lot of people who bought it. but look, i think this debate
8:44 pm
reminds me of the famous headline in the harvard crimson, harvard beats yale 29-29. that was the football game where harvard was the huge underdog and had a comeback in the fourth quarter with a very clever headline and a famous one. look, donald trump went into this debate with his campaign hanging by a thread, hemorrha hemorrhagi hemorrhaging, with governors, members of congress running away. and had he not done well in this debate, his campaign was over. and that's why i think it turned out to be sort of on points, on merits, roughly a draw, but that for him is like for the harvard football, that was a win because it salvages his campaign. he's able to go on. i think the effect it might have, i heard earlier people
8:45 pm
said, well, it didn't expand the tent, it didn't exactly expand his appeal to women, et cetera. but that's not what his task was. his task tonight was to save his campaign by stopping the hemorrhaging in the gop. and i think we might see that over the next few days where, instead of a mass flight for the exit that might be reduced as a result of the fact that he had good moments and essentially in the second half of the debate had a more dominant presence. >> so where does that take us from here? you save the campaign, but how does it look to you with 30 days left to go? >> right. but i mean, the down side is when you're running behind, as he is, and the gap was increasing before the changes took place, you can't wait a debate, you can't waste a week just holding your ground, which is what he did.
8:46 pm
so i think in that sense he's got a lot of ground to make up and he's lost a lot of time. >> what did you make of that tape, charles, of trump on that bus in 2005? >> well, it sounded fatal. to me, i must say i was one of the few who was not shocked at all because i've always thought that is who donald trump is and it's usually the hidden tapes and the hot mike stuff that reveals what a person is. i was kind of shocked by how shocked so many people were. because it was so many other offenses in the past that trump had committed that were worse. but here's what i think is the effect of the debate. in the 48 hours before the only issue, the only discussion in country was about the tape and
8:47 pm
would he survive. at the end of 90 minutes that became one issue out of nine or ten in the sense the tape was contextualized as one problem among many as opposed to this overwhelming issue that was enveloping and crushing the campaign. that's the reason i think for trump it was a win because he came out looking different from when he came in. when he came in, you thought to yourself, how could this man even show his face after a revelation like that. and he came out normalized. >> is there anything you think that could stop her now? do you think he's restarted the engine? and but so many people say he can't do it. the electoral college and so on and so forth. do you believe that this race is over or do you believe trump really could close this now if he gets a few breaks cutting his way? >> i don't think he can close it
8:48 pm
if things just continue in a normal way. and i don't think he does close it. what is true, however, if there are wikileaks revelations -- i mean, it's hard to imagine, but let's say a pay for play instance with the clinton foundation of clear maybe even criminal looking corruption. i think that's extremely unlikely. but if you get an exogenous event like that, then i think it's possible. so in that sense the campaign continues hoping for a lightning strike. but it's equally probable that he could be hit by a lightning strike of another tape discovered somewhere else. >> mm-hmm, that's right. you know, everybody is looking right now. but julian assange is also looking and say wikileaks will have more disclosures. it's been an interesting evening. thank you. >> very, thank you. with two presidential debates down and less than one
8:49 pm
month to go, i mean, we're voting in one month from today. marc thiessen and richard fowler will appear here next on where we go from here. the pursuit of healthier. it begins from the second we're born. because, healthier doesn't happen all by itself. it needs to be earned every day. using wellness to keep away illness. and believing a single life can be made better by
8:50 pm
millions of others. as a health services and innovation company . we're here to make healthier happen.
tv-commercial
8:51 pm
we can't go back to the years of devastating cuts to public education. exactly why i urge you to vote yes on prop 55. prop 55 prevents $4 billion in new education cuts without raising taxes on anyone. and there's strict accountability in prop 55. with local control over school funding decisions. and mandatory annual audits guaranteeing the money goes directly to our classrooms. not to bureaucracy, not to administration. so vote yes on 55. because it helps our children thrive. when legalizing safe, responsible adult use of marijuana, the most important question is how? by voting yes on prop 64: adults 21 and over could only purchase marijuana at licensed marijuana businesses. and prop 64 bans advertising
8:52 pm
directed at kids... requires strict product labeling... child-proof packaging... and bans edibles that appeal to children. smart provisions to safeguard our families. learn more about the safeguards at yeson64.org. look, i respect his children. his children are incredibly able and devoted and i think that
8:53 pm
says a lot about donald. i don't agree with nearly anything else he says or does but i do respect that and i think that is something that as a mother and a grandmother is very important to me. >> well, i consider her statement about my children to be a very nice compliment. i don't know if it was meant to be a compliment but i'm very proud of my children and they've done a wonderful job and they've been wonderful, wonderful kids, so i consider that a compliment. i will say this about hillary, she doesn't quit. she doesn't give up. i respect that. >> ah. after all the anger tonight's debate ended with that moment. each candidate saying something nice about each other and then sharing the handshake that was missing at the start of the night. we're also getting reporting that mr. trump had a nice call with mike pence after the debate. that's significant given that we were getting reports earlier
8:54 pm
raising questions about whether pence would stay with the ticket going forward. it appears the answer is yes. turning to discuss it now is marc thiessen and richard fowler a nationally syndicated talk show host. great to see you both. what did you think, marc. >> i like richard because richard never gives up. he's a fighter. >> absolutely, marc. >> absolutely. we had a nice "kumbaya" moment. it won't stay "kumbaya." donald trump was on the ropes coming in, his campaign was over and he wasn't on the ropes very long in that debate. he was landing blows on benghazi, on e-mails, on everything else and the interesting thing about it was that he was, you know, the first debate he refused to pivot. tonight he was pivoter in chief. any time he was attacked he would turn around, it was a great moment when he was asked about tweeting at 3:00 a.m. about miss universe and he said,
8:55 pm
you know what, at 3:00 she didn't get the call on benghazi, pivot so he was much more effective tonight and, you know, we'll see. i think he lives to fight another day. it's not over yet. >> richard, it's not over yet and trump probably did succeed in energizing his base tonight who had been feeling dejected some of them over the weekend. they may not have held the comments against him as a deal breaker but the extent of exodus they've seen and criticism they've seen and nonstop hammer he's been taking. >> absolutely. trump has definitely had a rough, rough week and i agree hillary clinton is a fighter and she's a survivor and that's who you want to be in the white house if i were to read my talking points but more importantly what we see over the next couple of days is what will happen. we haven't seen any polls since the video has been released to the public and will this make it a wash? that's possible or will he tank in places like ohio and places like where i'm at tonight, florida, places like virginia
8:56 pm
where he needs to win to win this election and that's what it's going to come down to, ground game, ground game over the next 30 days and that's where the clinton campaign is going to succeed. they are ex-setting already. trump has very few boots on the ground. clinton has a lot and that will make the difference in the election. >> marc thiessen, there was a split and what did you think of the split? >> the problem in syria, russia is not our friend and donald trump seems to think russia is our friend. he keeps saying they'll help us fight isis. they're targeting the pro-western secular opposition and the reason they're doing that is because their goal to keep bashar assad in power. the way you get the west to do that is to say, hey, there's a choice between me and isis which one do you want so take out any moderate alternative to assad so
8:57 pm
assad actually wants to keep isis in power because it's the only way he stays in power so trump is right, wrong and mike pence is 100% right. >> megyn -- >> what marc shows the problem with the campaign, the vice president saying one thing, the republican party saying one thing and the leader saying something totally different which is why it's probable it will be hard for them in november to win, both down ballot and the white house. >> we shall see. feels like the race may have shifted a little but how far did it shift and where? only time will tell. gentlemen, great to see you. final thoughts when we come back. and lasts up to 12 hours. tums only lasts up to 3. for longer lasting relief...in one chewable tablet try duo fusion from the makers of zantac
8:58 pm
...as a combination of see products.. and customers. every on-time arrival is backed by thousands of od employees, ...who make sure the millions of products we ship arrive without damages. because od employees treat customer service... ...like our most important delivery. od. helping the world keep promises.
8:59 pm
speaking of that debate question in august of 2015 i have written about it in my book "settle for more" which hits books shelves and you can preorder it at barnesandnoble.com or amazon.com.
9:00 pm
everybody will be talking bit. a lot of great, fun stories, behind the scenes stuff. i think you'll get a kick out of it. thanks for watching. i'm megyn kelly. this is "the kelly file." up next "hannity" live. welcome to "hannity." we are in the spin room, debate number two between donald trump and hillary clinton is history, wow, what a night. we have a full night of great guests coming up straight ahead and started just moments ago. we caught one former new york city mayor rudy giuliani. this is how it went down. well, you happy? >> i'm very happy. i'm a very happy win. i thought he was going to win. he did a lot better than i thought. i considered it a knockout. by the end of the debate she was just talking for the purpose of talking. she looked tired to me. the last 15 minutes she looked

97 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on