Skip to main content

tv   Presidential Candidates Debate  FOX News  October 9, 2016 11:00pm-1:01am PDT

11:00 pm
good evening from washington university. if you think the first debate between donald trump and hillary clinton was must-see tv, buckle up and get ready for round two. welcome to the second presidential debate. i'm megyn kelly. >> and i'm brett ba irier. four presidential debates, one vice presidential debate. the george w. bush al gore town hall where gore walks across the stage. bill clinton, george h.w. bush
11:01 pm
debated as did sarah palin and joe biden. nothing has been anything close to this debate and what we have seen leading up to. >> the pressure on donald trump tonight is enormous. he has come under immense fire with several demanding that he withdraw from the ticket and allow mike pence or rnc to select somebody else. there were reports that mike pence would be seeing how donald trump before he decides his course forward. >> we should point out that the polls before this incident with the audio that we have seen and cable news, we are heading the wrong direction for donald trump. on the flip side you have hillary clinton who is dealing with the wiki leaks e-mails and all of the different transcripts and speeches to wall street firms that specifically say something completely different than what she said on the
11:02 pm
primary frailtrail. >>. not only that. trump has raised the stakes by having the facebook event with four women, three of whom are accusing bill clinton of having sexually assaulted them. none of which were proven in court and the other involved the young girl whose rapist hillary clinton defended. those four women are in this hall tonight. >> exactly. it's pressure packed. it's a different format. it's a town hall format. there are 40 people around who have been chosen by the gallop organization. >> undecided voters. >> also social media questions. this is going to be fascinating. hold on. we're going to take you down to the floor because this is going to be quite an event. >> will trump raise the bill
11:03 pm
clinton issue or will he let that facebook event stand for itself? how far will hillary or moderators or people in the audience push the question of the 11-year-old tape with donald trump on that access hollywood which has been made into campaign ads and shocked the conscience of even donald trump detractors. >> right now you have democrats that are feeling emboldened. you have republicans looking for something to turn this race around and you have a down ballot situation where there are a lot of senators and house members who are worried on the republican side. >> let's watch. >> the debate here at washington university. >> good evening. i'm martha raddatz. >> and i'm anderson cooper. we want to welcome you to washington university for the
11:04 pm
second presidential debate. tonight's debate is a town hall format which gives voters the chance to directly ask the candidates questions. martha and i will ask follow up questions but the night belongs to the people in this room and people across the country who submitted questions online. >> the people you see on this stage were chosen by the gallop organization. they are all from the st. louis area and haven't committed to a candidate. each came with questions they want today ask and we saw the questions for the first time this morning. anderson and i and our team from abc and cnn are the only ones who have seen them. both candidates will have two minutes to answer each audience and online question. we hope to get to as many questions as we can so we ask the audience here not to slow things down with any applause except for now. ladies and gentlemen, the republican nominee for president, donald j. trump and
11:05 pm
the democratic nominee for president, hillary clinton. [ applause ] >> thank you very much for being here. we will begin with a question from one of the members in our town hall. each of you will have two minutes to respond. secretary clinton you won the coin toss. the first question. >> thank you. good evening. the last presidential debate could have been rated as ma, mature audiences. kn
11:06 pm
do you feel you are modeling appropriate behavior for today's youth. >> thank you. are you a teacher? i think that is a very good question. i have heard from lots of teachers and parents about some of their concerns about some of the things that are being said and done in this campaign. and i think it is very important for us to make clear to our children that our country really is great because we're good. and we are going to respect one another, lift each other up. we are going to be looking for ways to celebrate our diversity and we are going to try to reach out to every boy and girl as well as every adult to bring them in to working on behalf of our country. i have a very positive and optimistic view about what we can do together. that's why the slogan of my campaign is stronger together because i think if we work
11:07 pm
together, if we overcome the divisiveness that sometimes sets americans against one another and instead we make some big goals. i have set forth some big goals getting the economy to work for everyone, not just those at the top, making sure that we have the best education system from preschool through college and making it affordable and so much else. if we set those goals and we go together to try to achieve them, there is nothing in my opinion that america can't do. so that's why i hope that we will come together in this campaign. obviously, i'm hoping to earn your vote. i'm hoping to be elected in november. and i can promise you i will work with every american. i want to be the president for all americans regardless of your political beliefs, where you come from, what you look like, your religion. i want to heal our country and bring it together because that's i think the best way for us to get the future that our children and our grandchildren deserve.
11:08 pm
>> thank you. mr. trump, you have two minutes. >> i actually agree with that. i agree with everything she said. i began this campaign because i was so tired of seeing such foolish things happen to our country. this is a great country. this is a great land. i have gotten to know the people of the country over the last year and a half that i have been doing business as a politician. i guess i have been a politician. and my whole concept was to make america great again. when i watch the deals being made, when i watch what is happening with some horrible things like obama care or health insurance and health care is going up by numbers that are astronomical, 68%, 69%, 71%, when i look at the iran deal and how bad a deal it is for us, a one-sided transaction where we are giving back $150 billion to
11:09 pm
a terrorist state, really the number one terrorist state we have made them a strong country from a really weak country. when i look at all of the things that i see and all of the potential that our country has we have such tremendous potential whether in business and trade where we are doing so badly. last year we added almost $800 billion trade deficit. in other words, trading with other countries we had an $800 billion deficit. it is hard to believe, inconceivable. you say who is making the deals? we will make great trade deals and have a strong border and bring back law and order. today two police men were shot and killed and this is happening on a weekly basis. we have to bring back respect to law enforcement. at the same time we have to take care of people on all sides. we need justice. but i want to do things that haven't been done including
11:10 pm
fixing and making inner cities great. i look forward to make america great again. >> thank you, mr. trump. the question was about are you both modeling positive and appropriate behaviors for today's youth. we received a lot of questions online about the tape that was released on friday. as you can imagine you called what you said locker room banter. you described kissing women without consent and grabbing their gentles. that is sexual assault. you bragged that you have sexually assaulted women. do you understand that? >> i didn't say that at all. i don't think you understood what was said. this was locker room talk. i'm not proud of it. i apologize to my family and to the american people. when we have a world where you have isis chopping off heads and frankly drowning people in steel cages and you have wars and
11:11 pm
horrible, horrible sights all over and so many bad things happening this is like medieval times. and they look and they see. can you imagine the people that are frankly doing so well against us with isis and they look at our country and see what is going on. i'm very embarrassed by it. i hate it. it is locker room talk and it is one of those things. i will knock the hell out of isis. we will defeat isis. isis happened a number of years ago in a vacuum that was left because of bad judgment. i will tell you i will take care of isis. >> mr. trump -- >> and get on to much more important things and bigger things. >> for the record, are you saying what you said on that bus that you did not actually kiss women without consent or grope women? >> i have great respect for women. nobody has more respect for women than i do. >> are you saying you never said
11:12 pm
that? >> you hear these things. i was embarrassed by it. i have tremendous respect for women. i will tell you -- i have not. i will tell you that i'm going to make our country safe. we will have borders in our country which we don't have now. people are pouring into our country and coming in from the middle east and other places. we will make america safe again and great again and make america wealthy again. if you don't do that it just sounds harsh to say but we have to build up the wealth of our nation. other nations are taking our jobs and wealth. >> do you want to respond? >> like everyone else i spent a lot of time thinking over the last 48 hours about what we heard and saw. you know, with prior republican nominees for president i disagreed with them. politics, policies, principles.
11:13 pm
but i never questioned their fitness to serve. donald trump is different. i said starting back in june that he was not fit to be president and commander in chief. and many republicans and independents have said the same thing. wh saw and heard on friday was donald talking about women, what he thinks about women, what he does to women. and he has said that the video doesn't represent who he is, but i think it's clear to anyone who heard it that it represents exactly who he is because we have seen this throughout the campaign. we have seen him insult women. we have seen him rate women on their appearance ranking them from one to ten. we have seen him embarrass women
11:14 pm
on tv and on twitter. we saw him after the first debate spend nearly a week dent grating a former miss universe. yes, this is who donald trump is. but it's not only women and it's not only this video that raises questions about his fitness to be our president. because he has also targeted immigrants, african-americans, latinos, people with disabilities, p.o.w.s, muslims and so many others. so this is who donald trump is. and the question for us, the question our country must answer is that this is not who we are. that's why to go back to your question, i want to send a message, we all should, to every boy and girl and to the entire
11:15 pm
world that america already is great but we are great because we are good. and we will respect one another and we will work with one another. and we will celebrate our diversity. these are very important values to me because this is the america that i know and love. and i could pledge to you tonight that this is the america that i will serve if i'm so fortunate enough to become your president. >> and we want to get to some questions from online. >> can i respond to that? >> yes. >> it's just words, folks. those words i have been hearing them for many years. i heard them when they were running for the senate in new york where hillary was going to bring back jobs to upstate new york and she failed. i have heard them where hillary is constantly talking about the inner cities of our country
11:16 pm
which are a disaster educationwise, job wise, safety wise in every way possible. i'm going to help the african-americans. i'm going to help the latinos, hispanics. i will help the inner cities. she has done a terrible job for the african-americans. she wants their vote and does nothing. we saw that when she was united states senator. she campaigned -- >> mr. trump, i want to get to audience questions and online questions. >> so she is allowed to do that. >> you will get to respond right now. this tape is generating intense interest. in just 48 hours it has become the single most talked about story of the entire 2016 election on facebook with millions and millions of people discussing it on the social network. as we said a moment ago we want tobring you questions from voters around the country
11:17 pm
through social media. jeff from ohio asked on facebook, trump says the campaign has changed him. when did that happen? let me add to that, when you walked off that bus at age 59, were you a different man or did that behavior continue until just recently? and you have two minutes for this. >> that was locker room talk. i'm not proud of it. i am a person who has great respect for people, for my family, for the people of this country and certainly i'm not proud of it. but that was something that happened. if you look at bill clinton far worse, mine are words and his were action. what he has done to women nothing in the history of politics in this nation that has been so abusive to women. you can say it anyway you want to say it but bill clinton was abusive to women. hillary clinton attacked those same women and attacked them
11:18 pm
viciously, four of them are here tonight. one of the women who is a wonderful woman at 12 years old was raped at 12. her client she represented got him off and she is seen laughing on two separate occasions laughing at the girl who was raped. that young woman is here with us tonight. so don't tell me about words. i am absolutely, i apologize for those words, but it is things that people say. but what president clinton did, he was impeached. he lost his license to practice law. he had to pay an $850,000 fine to one of the women, paula jones, who is also here tonight. i will tell you that when hillary brings up a point like that and she talks about words that i said 11 years ago, i think it is disgraceful and i think she should be ashamed of
11:19 pm
herself if you want to know the truth. [ applause ] >> please hold the applause. secretary clinton, you have two minutes. >> well, first, let me start by saying that so much of what he just said is not right. he gets to run his campaign any he chooses. he gets to decide what he wants to talk about instead of answering people's questions, talking about our agenda, laying out the plans that we have that we think can make a better life and a better country. that is his choice. when i hear something like that i am reminded of what my friend, michelle obama advised us all, when they go low, you go high. [ applause [ applause ] and, look, if this were just about one video maybe what he is saying tonight would be understandable. but everyone can draw their own
11:20 pm
conclusions that this point about whether or not the man in the video or the man on the stage respects women. but he never apologizes for anything to anyone. he never apologized to mr. and mrs. kahn, the family whose son died in the line of duty in iraq and donald insulted and attacked them for weeks over their religion. he never apologized to the distinguished federal judge who was born in indiana but donald said he couldn't be trusted to be a judge because his parents were, quote, mexican. he never apologized to the reporter that he mimicked and mocked on national television and our children were watching. and he never apologized for the
11:21 pm
racist lie that president obama was not born in the united states of america. he owes the president an apology. he owes our country an apology and needs to take responsibility for his actions and his words. >> you owe the president an apology because as you know your campaign sydney blumenthal, another real winner that you have, he is the one that got this started along with your campaign manager and were on television two weeks ago saying exactly that. you really owe him an apology. you set the pictures around your campaign, sent the pictures around with president obama. that was long before i was ever involved. you actually owe an apology. number two, michelle obama. i have gotten to see the commercials that they did on you and i have gotten to see some of the most vicious commercials i have ever seen of michelle obama talking about you, hillary.
11:22 pm
so you talk about friend. go back and take a look at those commercials, a race where you lost fair and square unlike the bernie sanders race where you won but not fair and square, in my opinion. all you have to do is take a look at wiki leaks and see what they said about bernie sanders and see what debbie wasserman schultz had in mind. i was when you talk about apology and i think the think you should be apologizes for are 30,000 e-mails that you deleted and acid washed and then the two boxes of e-mails and other things last week that were taken from an office and are now missing. and i'll tell you what, i didn't think i would say this but i'm going to say it and i hate to say it, but if i win i will
11:23 pm
instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation because there has never been so many lies, so much deception. there has never been anything like it. we are going to have a special prosecutor -- when i speak i go out and speak, the people of this country are furious. in my opinion, the people that have been long-term workers at the fbi are furious. there has never been anything like this where e-mails and you get a subpoena, you get a subpoena, after getting the subpoena you delete 33,000 e-mails. and then you acid wash them or bleach them, very expensive process. we will get a special prosecutor and look into it because people have been -- their lives have been destroyed for doing one-fifth of what you have done. it is a disgrace. you ought to be ashamed of yourself. >> i want to follow up on that.
11:24 pm
>> everything he just said is absolutely false but i'm not surprised. in the first debate -- >> the audience needs to calm down here. >> i was told it would be impossible to be fact checking donald all the time and i would never talk about what i want to do and how we will make lives better for people. once again go to hillaryclinton.com. you can fact check trump in real time. last time at the first debate we had millions of people fact checking. i expect we will have millions more fact checking because it's just awfully good that someone with the temperament of donald trump is not in charge of the law in our country. >> because you would be in jail. >> we want to remind the audience to please not talk out loud. please do not applaud. you are just wasting time.
11:25 pm
>> secretary clinton i want to follow up on e-mails. you said handling of your e-mails was a mistake and disagreed a on calling the handling extremely careless. the fbi said there were 110 classified e-mails exchanged, eight of which were top secret. you don't hold that extremely careless? >> first, let me say and i have said it before and i will repeat it. that was a mistake. i take responsibility for using a personal e-mail account. obviously, if i were to do it over again i would not. i'm not making any excuses. it was a mistake and i am very sorry about that. but i think it is also important to point out where there are some misleading accusations from critics and others after a year
11:26 pm
long investigation there is no evidence that anyone hacked the server i was using and there is no evidence that anyone can point to at all, anyone who says otherwise has no basis, that any classified material ended up in the wrong hands. i take classified material very seriously and always have. when i was on the senate services committee i was privy to a lot of classified material. obviously, as secretary of state i had some of the most important secrets that we possess such as going after bin laden. so i am very committed to taking classified information seriously and as i said there is no evidence that any classified information ended up in the wrong hands. >> we are going to move on. >> yet she didn't note the letter c on a document, didn't know what that letter meant. it's amazing.
11:27 pm
i'm watching hillary go over facts and she is going after fact after fact and lying again because she said what she did with e-mails was fine. you think it was fine to delete 33,000 e-mails? i don't think so. she said 33,000 e-mails had to do with her daughter's wedding and a yoga class. 33,000 e-mails deleted and is saying there was nothing wrong. that was after getting a subpoena. that wasn't before it. she got it from the united states congress. i am so disappointed in congressmen including republicans for allowing this to happen. our justice department where her husband goes to the back of an airplane for 39 minutes and talks to attorney general days before a ruling made in her case. for you to say that there was nothing wrong with you deleting 39,000 e-mails you should be
11:28 pm
ashamed of yourself. this is after getting a subpoena from the united states congress. >> we want to give the audience a chance here. >> let alone after getting a subpoena from the united states congress. >> we have to move on. >> look, it's just not true. >> you didn't delete them? >> they were personal e-mails. not -- we turned over 35,000. >> what about the other snz. >> please allow her to respond. she didn't talk while you talked. >> that's true, i didn't. >> you have nothing to say. >> i am going to try not to in this debate. i would like to try to get to questions that people brought to us. >> get off this question. >> donald, i know you are into big diversion tonight, anything to avoid talking about your campaign and the way it is exploding and the way republicans are leaving you. >> let's see what happens.
11:29 pm
>> issues that people care about tonight. >> a question here about health care. >> i would like to know why aren't you bringing up the e-mails? why aren't you -- >> brought up the e-mails. >> and it hasn't been finished at all. >> one on three. >> thank you. affordable care act known as obama care, it is not affordable. premiums have gone up. deductibles have gone up. co-pays have gone up. prescriptions have gone up and the coverage has gone down. what will you do to bring the cost down and make coverage better? >> that goes to secretary clinton. you started out the last one. >> if he wants to start he can start. go ahead, donald. >> i'm a gentleman, go ahead. >> i think donald was about to say he is going to solve it by
11:30 pm
repealing it and getting rid of the affordable care act. i'm going to fix it. i agree with you. premiums have gotten too high, co-pays, deductibles, prescription drug costs. i have laid out a series of actions that we can take to try to get the costs down. here is what i don't want people to forget when we are talking about reining in the cost which has to pbe the highest priority it wasn't just that 20 million people got insurance. that was a good thing. i meet these people all the time and they tell me what a difference having that insurance meant to them and their families. but everybody else, the 170 million of us who get health insurance through our employers got big benefits. number one, insurance companies can't deny you coverage because of a pre-existing condition.
11:31 pm
number two, no lifetime limits which is a big deal if you have serious health problems. number three, women can't be charged more than men for health insurance which is the way it used to be before the affordable care act. number four, if you are under 26 and your parents have a policy you can be on that policy until the age of 26. so i want very much to save what works and is good about the affordable care act. but we have to get costs down. we have to provide some additional help to small businesses so that they can afford to provide health insurance. but if we repeal it as donald has proposed and start over again all of those benefits i just mentioned are lost to everybody, not just people who get their health insurance on the exchange. and then we would have to start all over again. right now we are at 90% health insurance company. that is the highest we have ever been in our country. >> your time is up. >> i would like to get to 100%
11:32 pm
but get costs down and keep quality up. >> it is such a great question and maybe the question i get almost more than anything else outside of defense. obama care is a disaster. you know it, we all know it. it's going up at numbers that nobody has ever seen world wide. nobody has ever seen numbers like this for health care. it's only getting worse. in '17 it implodes by itself. their method of fixing it is to ask congress for more money. we have right now almost $20 trillion in debt. obama care will never work. it's very bad, very bad health insurance. far too expensive. not only expensive for the person that has it, unbelievably expensive for our country. we have to repeal it and replace
11:33 pm
it with something absolutely much less expensive and something that works where your plan can actually be tailored. we have to get rid of the lines around the state where we stop insurance companies from coming in and competing because they wanted president obama and whoever was working on it, they want toleave the lines because that gives the insurance companies essentially monopolies. we want competition. you will have the finest health care plan there is. she wants to go to a single payer plan which would be a disaster somewhat similar to canada. the canadians when they need a big operation they come into the united states in many cases because their system is so slow. it it it's catastrophic in certain ways. hillary clinton has been after this for years. obama care was the first step. obama care is a total disaster. not only are your rates going up
11:34 pm
by numbers that nobody has ever believed but your deductibles are going up so that unless you get hit by a truck you are never going to be able to use it. disastrous plan and has to be repealed and replaced. >> secretary clinton, your husband called obama care, quote, the craziest thing in the world, small business owners getting killed. was he mistaken? >> he clarified what he meant and it is very clear. we are in a situation in our country where if we were to start all over again we might come up with a different system. but we have an employer-based system where the vast majority of people get their health care. and the affordable care act was meant to try to fill the gap between people who were too poor and couldn't put together any resources to afford health care, namely people on medicaid. medicare which is a single payer
11:35 pm
system which takes care of elderly and does a great job doing it and all the people who were employed but people who were working but didn't have the money to afford insurance and didn't have anybody, an employer or anybody else to help them. that was the swath that the approach was to take. 20 million people now have health insurance. if we rip it up and throw it away we just turn it back to the insurance companies the way it used to be. and that means the insurance companies get to do pretty much whatever they want including saying you have diabetes or cancer your child has asthma you may not be able to have insurance because you can't afford it. let's fix what is broken about it but let's not throw it away and give it back to the insurance companies. >> let me follow up with you, mr. trump. >> i just want one thing. hillary, everything is broken about it. number two, bernie sanders said
11:36 pm
that hillary clinton has very bad judgment. this is a perfect example of it. trying to save obama care. >> you said you want to end obama care. you also said you want to make coverage accessible to people with preexisting conditions. how do you force insurance companies to do that? >> you will have a plan. >> what does it mean? >> you will have plans that are so good because we are going to have so much competition in the insurance industry once we break out the lines that allow the competition to come. >> are you going to have a mandate that americans have to have health insurance? >> president obama by keeping the lines around each state and was almost gone until the end of the passage of obama care which is a fraud. the architect of obama care said it was a great lie. president obama said you keep your doctor and your plan.
11:37 pm
the whole thing is a fraud. when we get rid of the lines you have competition. we will be able to keep preexisting and have people that can't get, don't have money because we are going to have people protected. and republicans feel this way believe it or not and strongly this way. we will block grants into the states and into medicaid so we will be able to take care of people without the necessary funds to take care of themselves. we go to gorba with a question for both candidates. >> hi. there are 3.3 million muslims in the united states and i am one of them. you mentioned working with muslim nations but with islama phobia on the rise how do you help people like me deal with consequences of being labelled. >> you are right about
11:38 pm
islamophobia and that is a shame. one thing we have to do is make sure because there is a problem whether we like it or not and we can be politically correct. there is a problem. and we have to be sure that muslims come in and report when they see something going on. when they see hatred going on they have to report it as an example san bernardino. many people saw the bombs all over the people of the two people who killed 14 and horribly wounded many people. muslims have to report the problems when they see them. and there is always a reason for everything. if they don't do that it's a very difficult situation for our country because you look at orlando and you look at san bernardino and the world trade center. look at paris. these are radical islamic terrorists and she won't mention the word and nor will president
11:39 pm
obama. he won't use the term radical islamic terrorist. to solve a problem you have to be able to state what the problem is or at least state the name. she won't say the name and president obama won't say the name but the name is there. it's radical islamic terror. before you solve it you have to say the name. >> secretary clinton. >> thank you for asking your question. i have heard this question from a lot of muslim americans across our country. because unfortunately there has been a lot of very divisive, dark things said about muslims. and even someone like the young man who sacrificed himself defending our country in the united states army has been subject to attack by donald. i want to say just a couple of things. we have had muslims in america since george washington. and we have had many successful
11:40 pm
muslims. we just lost a particularly well-known one with muhammad ali. my vision of america is an america where everyone has a place if you are willing to work hard, you do your past, you contribute to the community. that's what america is. that's what we want america to be for our children and grandchildren. it's also very short sided and even dangerous to be engaging in the kind of demagogic rhetoric. we need american-muslims to be part of our eyes and ears on our front lines. i have worked with a lot of different muslim groups around america. i have met with a lot of them and i have heard how important it is for them to feel that they are wanted and included and part of our country, part of our homeland security. that's what i want to see. it's also important, i intend to
11:41 pm
defeat isis, to do so in a coalition with majority muslim nations. right now a lot of those nations are hearing what donald says and wondering why should we cooperate with the americans? this is a gift to ice skps terrorists. violent jihaddest terrorists. we are not at war with islam. it is a mistake and plays into the hands of the terrorists to act as though we are. so i want a country where citizens like you and your family are just as welcome as anyone else. >> thank you, secretary clinton. mr. trump, in december you said this, donald trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of muslims entering the united states until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on. we have no choice. we have no choice. you're running mate said this week that the muslim ban is no longer your position. is that correct?
11:42 pm
if it is, was it is a mistake to have a religious test? >> captain khan is an american hero. unlike her who voted for the war without knowing what she is doing i would not have had our people in iraq. iraq was a disaster. he would have been alive today. the muslim ban is something that in some form has morphed into an extreme vetting from certain areas of the world. hillary clinton wants to allow -- >> why did it morph into that? answer the question. >> why didn't you interrupt her? >> would you please explain whether or not the muslim ban still stands? >> it is called extreme vetting. we are going to areas like syria where they are coming in by the tens of thousands because of
11:43 pm
barack obama and hillary clinton wants to allow a 550% increase over obama. people are coming into our country like we have no idea who they are, where they are from, what their feelings about our country is. she wants 550% more. this is going to be the great trojan horse of all time. we had enough problems in this country. i believe in building safe zones and having other countries pay for them. take care of people. i don't want to have with all the problems this country has and with all of the problems you see going on hundreds of thousands of people coming in from syria where we know nothing about them. we know nothing about their values and nothing about their love for our country. >> and secretary clinton let me ask you about that because you asked for increase of 10,000 to 65,000 syrian refugees.
11:44 pm
we know you want tougher vetting. that's not a perfect system. so why take the risk of having the refugees come into the country? >> first of all, i will not let anyone into our country that i think poses a risk to us. but there are a lot of refugees, women and children, think of that picture we saw of the 4-year-old boy with the blood on his forehead because he had been bombed by the russians and syrian air forces. there are children suffering in this catastrophic war largely i believe because of russian aggression. and we need to do our part. we by no means are carrying anywhere near the load that europe and others are. but we will have that ink as tough as it needs to be from our professionals, our intelligence experts and others. but it is important for us as a
11:45 pm
policy not to say as donald has said we will ban people based on a religion. how do you do that? we are a country founded on religious freedom and liberty. how do we do what he has advocated without causing great distress within our own country? are we going to have religious tests when people fly into our country? how do we expect to be able to implement those? so i thought that what he said was extremely unwise and even dangerous and indeed you can look at the propaganda on a lot of the terrorist sites and what donald trump says about muslims is used to recruit fighters because they want to create a war between us. and the final thing i would say,
11:46 pm
this is the 10th or 12th time he denied being for the war in iraq. we have it on tape. it has been debunked but never stops him from saying whatever he wants to say. >> that has not been debunked. >> you can see it. >> i was against the war in iraq. it has not been debunked. you voted for it can&you shouldn't have. >> lots of fact checking on that. >> she just went about 25 second over her time. can i respond? >> very quickly. >> hillary clinton in terms of having people come into our country we have many criminal illegal aliens. when we want to send them back to their country their country says we don't want them. some cases they are murderers and they don't want them. hillary clinton when she was secretary of state said that's okay, we can't force it. i am going to force them. and i will tell you very
11:47 pm
strongly when bernie sanders said she had bad judgment she has really bad judgment because we are letting people into this country that cause problems and crime like you have never seen. we are letting drugs pour through at a record clip and it shouldn't be allowed to happen. the border patrol agents, 16,500 recently endorsed me. they endorsed me because i understand the border. she doesn't. she wants amnesty. come right in, come right over. it's a horrib it it's -- >> i want to move on. this next question comes from the public, a bipartisan open debate online forum. this question involves wiki
11:48 pm
leaks release of reported excerpts of secretary clinton's paid speeches which she refused to release. one line in particular in which you reported to say you need both public and private position on certain issues. so asked is it okay for politicians to be two faced? is it acceptable for a politician to have a private stance on issues? secretary clinton, your two minutes. >> as i recall that was something i said about abraham lincoln after having seen the wonderful steven spielberg movie called "lincoln." it was a master class watching president lincoln get the congress to approve the 13th amendment. it was principled and it was strategic. and i was making the point that
11:49 pm
it is hard sometimes to get the congress to do what you want to do and you have to keep working at it. and yes, president lincoln was trying to convince some people. he used some arguments convincing other people he used other arguments. that was i thought a great display of presidential leadership. but, you know, let's talk about what is really going on here, martha, because our intelligence community just came out and said in the last few days that the kremlin meeting putin and the russian government are directing the attacks, the hacking on american accounts to influence our election. and wiki leaks is that as are other sites where the russians hack information. we don't know if it is accurate information and then they put it out. we have never in the history of
11:50 pm
our country been in a situation where an adversary, a foreign power is working so hard to influence the outcome of the election. they are not doing it to get me elected and doing it to try to influence the election for donald trump. maybe because he said he praised putin, maybe because he wants to do business in moscow. we deserve answers. and we should demand that donald release all of his tax returns so that people can see what are the entanglements and the financial relationships -- >> we will get to that later. secretary clinton, you are out of time. >> because so ridiculous. look, now she is blaming -- she got caught in a total lie. her papers went out to friends at the banks, goldman sachs and everything else and said things that just came out. and she lied.
11:51 pm
now she is blaming the lie on the late great abraham lincoln. honest abe never lies. that's the difference between abraham lincoln and you. that's a big difference. we are talking about some difference. but as far as relevance of what she is saying. i don't know putin. i think it would be great if we get along with russia because we can fight isis together. i don't know putin. i notice anytime anything wrong happens they like to say the russians -- maybe there is no hacking. they always blame russia. the reason is because they think they are trying to tarnish me with russia. i know nothing about russia. i know about russia but nothing about the inner workings in russia. i have no loans from russia. i have a very great balance sheet, so great that when i did the old office on pennsylvania
11:52 pm
avenue the united states government chose me to do the old post office between the white house and congress, chose me to do the old post office. perhaps the primary thing was balance sheet. i have no loans with russia. you can go to the united states government and they would probably tell you that because they know my sheet very well in order to get that. as soon as -- paying hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes. many friends took bigger deductions. warren buffett took a massive deduction. many of the people that are giving her all this money that she can do many more commercials than me took massive deductions. i pay hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes but as soon as my routine audit is finished i will release my returns and be very proud to.
11:53 pm
>> topic of taxes we have a question from spencer moss. >> good evening. my question is what specific tax provisions will you change to ensure the wealthiest americans pay their fair share in tax snz. >> i would get rid of carried interest. one of the greatest provisions for people like me to be honest with you. i give up a lot when i run because i knock out the tax code. she could have done this years ago. she was a united states senator. she complains that donald trump took advantage of the tax code. why didn't you change it when you were senator? the reason you did it is because your friends take the same advantage that i do. you have provisions that we could change. you wouldn't change it because all of these people give you the money so you can take negative ads on donald trump. but i say that about a lot of things. i have heard hillary complaining
11:54 pm
about so many different things over the years. she has been there for 30 years doing this stuff. she never changed and never will change. she never will change. we are getting rid of carried interest provisions. i'm lowering taxes because i think it is so important for corporations because we have corporations leaving massive corporations. we are getting rid of regulations which goes hand in hand, bringing the rate down from 35% to 15%. cutting taxes for the middle class. i will tell you we are cutting them bigly for the middle class. hillary clinton is raising taxes really high and what that's going to do is a disaster for the country. she is raising your taxes and i'm lowering your taxes. that in itself is a big difference. we will be thriving again. we have no growth in this country. if china has a gdp of 7% it's like a national catastrophe.
11:55 pm
we are down 1% and that's like no growth. we are going lower in my opinion. a lot of it has to do with the fact that our taxes are so high, just about the highest in the world. i'm bringing them down to one of the lower in the world. and i think it is so important, one of the most important things we can do. she is raising everybody's taxes massively. >> you have two minutes. the question was what specific tax provisions would you change to ensure wealthiest americans pay fair share. >> everything you heard from donald is not true. he leaves in an alternative reality. and it is sort of amusing to hear somebody who hasn't paid federal income taxes in maybe 20 years talks about what he is going to do. his plan will give the wealthy and corporations the biggest tax cuts they have ever had, more than the bush tax cuts by at least a factor of two.
11:56 pm
donald always takes care of donald and people like donald. this would be a massive gift. indeed, the way that he talks about his tax cuts would end up raising taxes on middle class families, millions of middle class families. here is what i want to do. i have said nobody who makes less than $250,000 a year and that's the vast majority of americans as you know will have their taxes raised because i think we have to go where the money is and the money is with people taking advantage of every single break in the tax code. when i was senator i did vote to close corporate loopholes. i voted to close i think one of the loopholes he took advantage when he claimed a billion dollar loss than enabled him to avoid paying taxes. i want to have a tax on people who are making a million dollars called the buffett rule. warren buffett has said somebody like him should not be paying a
11:57 pm
lower tax rate than his secretary. i want to have a sir chrge. i want to invest in you and hard working families. i think it has been unfortunate but happened that since the great recession the gains have all gone to the top. and we need to reverse that. people like donald who pay zero in taxes, zero for our vets, zero for our military, zero for health and education, that is wrong. we are going to make sure that nobody, no corporation and no individual can get away without paying his fair share. >> i want to give you the chance to respond. the last month taxes were number one issue on facebook for the first time in the campaign. "new york times" published three pages of tax returns showing you claimed a 960 loss.
11:58 pm
you said you paid state taxes, employee taxes, real estate taxes but have not answered the question. did you use the $960 million loss to avoid paying federal income tax snz. >> of course, i do. so do most of her donors. her donors took massive tax write offs. a lot of my write off was depreciation and other things that hillary has allowed. the people that give her the money they want it. that's why. i understand the tax code better than anybody that run for president. hillary clinton and it is extremely complex, hillary clinton has friends that want all of these provisions including they want the carried interest provision which is very important to wall street people. they really want the carried interest provision which i believe hillary is leaving and very interesting why she is leaving carried interest. i pay tremendous numbers of taxes. i absolutely use it and so did
11:59 pm
warren buffett and george soros and many other people that hillary is getting money from. i won't mention their names because they are rich but they are not famous so we won't make them famous. >> how many years have you avoided paying federal income taxes? >> no. i pay tax. i have a write off. a lot of it is depreciation which is wonderful. she has given it to us. if she had a problem for 30 years she has been doing this. she talks about health care. she talks about taxes. why didn't she do something about it? she doesn't do anything about anything other than talk. with her it is all talk and no action. and again bernie sanders says really bad judgment. she has made bad judgment not only on taxes. she made bad judgment on libya, syria, iraq. her and obama whether you like it or not the way they got out
12:00 am
of iraq, the vacuum they left, that's why isis formed in the first place. they started from that little area and now they are in 32 different nations. congratulati congratulations, great job. >> chance to respond, secretary clinton. >> here we go again. i have been in favor of getting rid of carried interest for years starting when i was a senator from new york. that's not the point here. >> why didn't you do it? >> because i was a senator with a republican president. i will be the president -- >> if you were an effective senator you could have done it. if you were an effective senator you could have done it. >> allow her to respond she didn't interrupt you. >> under our constitution presidents have something called veto power. he has said repeatedly 30 years this and 30 years that. let me talk about my 30 years in public service. i'm very glad to do so.
12:01 am
8 million kids every year have health insurance because when i was first lady i worked with democrats and republicans to create the children's health insurance program. hundreds of thousands of kids now have a chance to be adopted because i worked to change our adoption and foster care system. after 9/11 i went to work with republican mayor, governor and president to rebuild new york and to get health care for our first responders who were suffering because they had run towards danger and gotten sickened by it. hundreds of thousands of national guard and reserve members have health care because of work that i did and children have safer medicines because i was able to pass a law that required the dosing to be more carefully done. when i was secretary of state i went around the world advocating for our country but also advocating for women's rights to make sure that women had a decent chance to have a better
12:02 am
life and negotiated a treaty with russia to lower nuclear weapons. 400 pieces of legislation have my name on it as a sponsor, co sponsor when i was a senator for eight years. i worked very hard and was very proud to be re-elected in new york by an even bigger margin than elected the first time. as president i will take that work, that bipartisan work, that finding common ground because you have to be able to get along with people to get things done in washington. >> thank you, secretary. >> i have proven that i can. >> we are going to move on to syria. both of you have mentioned that. >> i think we should -- >> mr. trump, we are going to go on. mr. trump, we are going to move on. >> the heartbreaking video of a 5-year-old syrian boy sitting in an ambulance after being pulled
12:03 am
from the rubble after an air strike in aleppo focussed the world's attention on the horrors of the world in syria. there are much worse images coming out of aleppo every day now where in the past few weeks alone 400 people have been killed, at least 100 of them children. just days ago the state department called for a war crimes investigation of the syrian regime of bashar al assad and its ally russia for bombardment of aleppo. so the next question comes from social media through facebook. diane from pennsylvania asks if you were president what would you do about syria as a humanitarian crisis in aleppo. isn't it a lot like the holocaust when the u.s. waited too long before we helped. secretary clinton we begin with your two minutes. >> the situation in syria is catastrophic. every day that goes by we see the results of the regime by
12:04 am
assad in partnership with the iranians on the ground, the russians in the air, bombarding places in particular aleppo where there are hundreds of thousands of people still left and there is a deturment effort by the russian air force to destroy aleppo in order to eliminate the last of the syrian rebels who were really holding out against the assad regime. russia hasn't paid any attention to isis. they are interested in keeping odd o assad in power. i when i was secretary of state advocated no fly zone and safe zones. we need leverage with the russians because they are not going to come to the negotiating table for a diplomatic resolution unless there is some leverage over them. and we have to work more closely
12:05 am
with our partners and allies on the ground. but i want to emphasize that what is at stake here is the ambitions and aggressiveness of russia. russia has decided that it is all in in syria and they have also decided who they want to see become president of the united states, too, and it's not me. i have stood up to russia. i have taken on putin and others. and i would do that as president. i think wherever we can cooperate with russia that is fine and i did as secretary of state. that is how we got a treaty reducing nuclear weapons and how we got the sanctions on iran that put a lid on iranian nuclear program without firing a single shot. i would go to the negotiating table with more leverage than we have now. i do support the efforts to investigate for crimes, war crimes committed by syrians and the russians and try to hold them accountable.
12:06 am
>> thank you. secretary of state with the so-called line in the sand which -- >> i was gone. i hate to interrupt you. >> you were contact with the white house and perhaps sadly obama probably still listened to you. obama draws the line in the sand. it was laughed at all over the world what happened. with that being said she talks tough against russia. our nuclear program has fallen way behind and they have gone wild with their nuclear program. russia is new in terms of nuclear. we are old. we are tired. we are exhausted in terms of nuclear. a very bad thing. she talks really tough against putin and against assad. she talks in favor of the rebels. she doesn't know who the rebels
12:07 am
are. every time we take rebels whether in iraq or anywhere else, we are arming people. you know what happens? they end up being worse than the people. look at what she did in libya with gadhafi. the fact is almost everything she has done in foreign policy has been a mistake and been disaster. if you look at russia, just take a look at russia. possibly she has gone soft. we signed a peace treaty. the iran deal with $150 billion with the 1.7 billion in cash which is enough cash to fill up this room. look at the deal. iran now and russia are now against us. so she wants to fight for
12:08 am
rebels. there is only one problem. you don't know who the rebels are. >> mr. trump, your two minutes is up. >> i don't like assad at all. assad is killing isis. russia is killing isis. and iran is killing isis. and those three have now lined up because of our weak foreign policy. >> mr. trump, let me repeat the question. if you were president, what would you do about syria as a humanitarian crisis in aleppo? i want to remind you what your running mate said. provocations by russia need to be met with american strength and that if russia continues to be involved in air strikes along with syrian government forces of assad, the united states of america should be prepared to use military force to strike the military targets of the assad regime. >> he and i haven't spoke skpn i disagree. >> you disagree with your
12:09 am
running mate. >> right now syria is fighting isis. we have people who want to fight both at the same time. syria was made into a powerful nation quickly. i believe we have to get isis. we have to worry about isis before we can get too much more involved. she had a chance to do something with syria. they had a chance. >> what do you think will happen if aleppo falls? >> i think aleppo is a disaster. i think that it basically has fallen. it basically has fallen. let me tell you something. you take a look at mosul. we have mosul. we have announcements coming out of washington and iraq we will be attacking mosul in three weeks or four weeks. all of these bad leaders from
12:10 am
isis are leaving mosul. why can't they do it quietly? why can't they do the attack? make it a sneak attack and after the attack is made inform the american public that we have knocked out the leaders. we have had a tremendous success. people leave. why do they have to say we are going to be attacking mosul within the next four to six weeks. how stupid is our country? >> there are sometimes reasons the military does that. psychological warfare. it might be to help get civilians out. >> i have 200 generals and admirals who endorse me. i have 21 congressional medal of honor recipients who endorse me. we talk about it all the time. why can't they do something secretively where they go in and knock out the leadership? why would these people stay there? >> tell me what your strategy -- >> i have been reading about
12:11 am
mosul that it is the harbor where they think the isis leaders are. why would they be -- they are not staying there anymore. they are gone because everybody is talking about how iraq, which is us with our leadership, goes into fight mosul. with these 200 admirals and generals they can't believe it. all i say is this, general george patton, general douglas mcarthur are spinning in their grave with the stupidity of what we are doing in the middle east. >> you talk about diplomatic efforts. those have failed. cease fires have failed. would you introduce the threat of u.s. military force beyond no fly zone against the assad regime to back up diplomacy? >> i would not use american ground forces in syria. i think that would be a very serious mistake.
12:12 am
i don't think american troops should be holding territory which is what they would have to do as an occupying force. i don't think that is a smart strategy. i do think the use of special forces which we are using, the use of enablers and trainers in iraq which has had some positive effects are very much in our interest. so i doport what is happening. >> what would you do differently than president obama is doing? >> martha, i hope by the time -- i hope by the time i am president that we will have pushed isis out of iraq. i do think that there is a good chance that we can take mosul. and donald says he knows more about isis than the generals. no he doesn't. there are a lot of very important planning going on and some of it is to signal to the sunnis in the area as well as
12:13 am
kurdish fighters that we all need to be in this. that takes a lot of planning and preparation. i would go after baghdad because i think our targeting of al qaeda leaders and i was involved in a lot of those operations, highly classified ones made a difference. i think that could help. i would also consider arming the cur kurds. i know there is a lot of concern about that in some circles. i think they should have the equipment they need so that those on the ground are the principle way we take -- >> we will move on. >> we went over a minute over and you don't stop her. when i go one second over. really very interesting. >> a question here from james
12:14 am
carter. mr. carter? >> my question is do you believe you can be a devoted president to all the people in the united states? >> that question begins for mr. trump. >> absolutely. i mean, she calls our people deplorable, a large group and irredeemable. i will be a president for all of our people. i will be a president that will turn our inner cities around and give strength to people and will give economics to people and will bring jobs back because nafta signed by her husband is perhaps the greatest disaster trade deal in the history of the world, not in this country. it stripped us of manufacturing jobs. we lost our jobs. we lost our money. we lost our plants. it is a disaster.
12:15 am
now she wants to sign tpp. she called it the gold standard. at the last debate she lied because she did say the gold standard and she said she didn't say it. they actually said that she lied. and she lied but she lied about a lot of things. i would be a president for all of the people, african-americans, inner cities, devastating what is happening to our inner cities. same with the latino americans. the hispanic americans. you go into the inner cities. it is 45% poverty. african-americans 45% poverty in the inner cities. the education is a disaster. jobs are essentially nonexistent. i mean, it's -- you know i have been saying it in big speeches where i have 20,000 and 30,000
12:16 am
people, what do you have to lose? it can't get worse. she has been talking about the inner cities for 25 years. nothing is going to ever happen. if she is president of the united states nothing is going to happen. it will all be talk. all of her friends i would just get in -- by doing others favors she is doing me favors. i will tell you, she is all talk. it doesn't get done. take a look at her senate run and upstate new york. >> two minutes is up. >> disaster. >> you have two minutes. >> 67% of the people voted to re-elect me when i ran for my second term and i am very proud and humbled by that. mr. carter, i have tried my entire life to do what i can to support children and families. right out of law school i went to work for the children's defense fund.
12:17 am
donald talks a lot about the 30 years i have been in public service. i am proud of that. i started off as a young lawyer working against discrimination against african-american children in schools and in the criminal justice system. i worked to make sure that kids with disabilities could get a public education, something that i care very much about. i have worked with latinos, one of my first jobs in politics was down in south texas registering latino citizens to be able to vote. so i have a deep devotion to use your absolutely correct word to making sure that every american feels like he or she has a place in our country. and i think when you look at the letters that i get, a lot of people are worried that maybe they wouldn't have a place in donald trump's america. they write me and one woman wrote me about her son, felix,
12:18 am
she adopted him from ethiopia when he was a toddler. he is 10 years old now. he listens to donald on tv and said to his mother will he send me back to ethiopia if he gets elected? children listen to what is being said to go back to the very, very first question. and there is a lot of fear that teachers and parents are calling it the trump effect. bullying is up. a lot of people are feeling uneasy. a lot of kids are expressing their concerns. first and foremost i will do everything i can to reach out to everybody. democrats, republicans, independents, people across our country. if you don't vote for me i still want to be your president. i want to be the best president i can be. >> your two minutes are up. i want to follow up on something donald trump said to you. you said half of donald trump supporters are quote deplorables, racist, sexist,
12:19 am
homophobic. you regretted for saying half. how can you unite a country if you -- >> within hours i said i was sorry about the way i talked about that because my argument is not with his supporters. it's with him and with the hafl and divisive campaign that he has run and the insighting of violence at his rallies and very brutal kinds of comments about not just women, but all americans. all kinds of americans. and what he has said about african-americans and latinos, about muslims, about p.o.w.s, about immigrants, about people with disabilities, he has never apologized for. i do think that a lot of the tone and tenor that he has set, i'm proud of the campaign that bernie sanders and i ran. we ran a campaign based on issues and not insults.
12:20 am
he is supporting me 100% because we talked about what we wanted to do. we might have had some differences and we had a lot of debate but we believed that we could make the country better and i was proud of that. >> we have a divided nation. we have a very divided nation. you look at charlotte. you look at baltimore. you look at the violence taking place in the inner cities, chicago. you take a look at washington, d.c. we have an increase in murder within our cities, the biggest in 45 years. we have a divided nation because of people like her. believe me, she has tremendous hate in her heart. when she said deplorables she meant it. when she said irredeemable to me that might have been even worse. she has tremendous hatred. this country cannot take another
12:21 am
four years of barack obama. that's what you are getting with her. >> in 2008 you wrote in one of your books that the most important characteristic of a good leader is discipline. if a leader doesn't have it he or she won't be one for long. in the days after the first debate you sent out a series of tweets from 3:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. including take a look at this sex tape. >> it was this person who she brought up to be a wonderful girl scout. >> 3:00 in the morning she said who will answer the call at 3:00 in the morning? she didn't answer because when ambassador stevens-600 times. she said she was awake at 3:00 in the morning and sent a tweet at 3:00 in the morning. she said she will be awake. the famous thing we will answer the call at 3:00 in the morning.
12:22 am
ambassador stephens sent 600 requests for help and the only one she talked to was sydney blumenthal who is her friend and not a good guy, by the way. she shouldn't be talking about that. tweeting happens to be a modern day form of communication. you can like it or not like it. i have between facebook and twitter i have almost 25 million people. it's a very effective way of communication. you can put it down but it is a very effective form of communication. i'm not unproud of it to be honest with you. >> does mr. trump have the discipline to be a good leader? >> no. >> i'm shocked to hear that. >> it's not only my opinion it's the opinion of many others. national security experts, republicans, former republican members of congress. but it's in part because those of us who have had the great privilege of seeing this job up
12:23 am
close and know how difficult it is and it's not just because i watch my husband take a $300 billion deficit and turn it into a $200 billion surplus and 23 million new jaubs were created and incomes went up for everybody. african-american incomes went up 33%. and it's not just because i worked with george w. bush after 9/11. and i was very proud that when i told them what the city needed, what we needed to recover he said you got it and never wavered. he stuck with me. i have worked and i admire president obama. he inherited the worst financial crisis since the great depressi depression. that was a terrible time for our country. >> we have to move along. >> secretary clinton, we are moving on. >> we are back on the right track. he would send us back into recession with his tax plans. >> secretary clinton, we are
12:24 am
moving to an audience question. we are almost out of time. >> mr. trump, we are moving to an audience question. >> secretary clinton, mr. trump, we want to get to the audience. thank you very much, both of you. we have another audience question. beth miller has a question for both candidates. >> good evening. perhaps the most important aspect of this election is the supreme court justice. what would you prioritize as most important aspect of selecting a supreme court justice? >> we begin with your two minutes, secretary clinton. >> this is one of the most important issues in this election. i want to appoint supreme court justices who understand the way the world really works, who have real life experience, who have not just been in a big law firm or clerk for a judge but maybe they tried more cases.
12:25 am
they understand what people are up against because i think the current court is going the wrong direction. i would want to see the supreme court reverse citizens united and get dark unaccountable money out of our politics. donald doesn't agree with that. i would like the supreme court to understand that voting rights are still a big problem in many parts of our country, that we don't always do everything we can to make it possible for people of color and older people and young people to be able to exercise their franchise. i want a supreme court that will stick with row v wade and a woman's right to choose and a supreme court to stick with marriage equality. donald has put forth names of people that he would consider and among the ones that he has suggested are people who would reverse row v wade and reverse marriage equality. i want a supreme court that
12:26 am
doesn't always side with corporate interests. i want a supreme court that understands because you are wealthy and you can get more money to something doesn't mean you have anymore rights than anybody else. i have very clear vieat i want e balance on the supreme court. and i regret deeply that the senate has not done its job and they have not permitted a vote on the person that president obama, a highly qualified person. they have not given him a vote to be able to have the full compliment of nine supreme court justices. i think that was a dur election of duty. i hope they see their way to doing it. if i am so fortunate enough to be president i will immediately move to make sure that feel that we -- >> thank you. you are out of time. mr. trump. >> justice scalia died recently
12:27 am
and we have a vacancy. i am looking to appoint judges very much in the mold of justice scalia. i am looking for judges. i have picked 20 of them so that people would see highly respected, highly thought of and actually very beautifully reviewed by just about everybody. but people that will respect the constitution of the united states. and i think that this is so important. also, the second amendment which is totally under siege by people like hillary clinton. they will respect the second amendment and what it stands for and what it represents. so important to me. hillary mentioned something about contributions. i will have in my race more than $100 million put in of my money meaning i'm not taking all of this big money from different
12:28 am
corporations. i ask this, i put more than $100 million invested. pretty much raising money for the republican party. i will do it tremendously. $61 average or so. i ask hillary why doesn't she make $250 million by being in office? she use the power of her office to make a lot of money. why isn't she funding put $30 million into your own campaign? it's $30 million less for special interests that will tell you exactly what to do and it would really be a nice sign to the american public. why aren't you putting some money in. you made a lot of it because of the fact that you have been in office. you made a lot of it when you were secretary of state actually. why aren't you putting money in your campaign? >> we will get into one more question. >> i want to quickly say i
12:29 am
respect the second amendment. but i believe there should be comprehensive background checks. >> we have one more question. >> one more question about energy policy. >> what steps will your energy policy take to meet our energy needs while at the same reminding environmentally friendly and minimizing job loss for fossil power plant workers. >> such a great question because energy is under siege by the obama administration, under absolute siege. the epa, environmental protection agency is killing these energy companies. and foreign companies are coming in buying so many of our different plants and then taking care of their oil. we are killing, absolutely killing our energy business in
12:30 am
this country. i'm all for alternative forms of energy including wind and solar. but we need much more than wind and solar. and you look at our miners. hillary clinton wants to put miners out of business. there is a thing called clean coal. coal will last for a thousand years. now we have natural gas because of technology we have unbelievable -- we have found over the last seven years found tremendous wealth right under our feet. so good especially when you have $20 trillion in debt. i will bring our energy companies back. they will be able to compete. they will make money. they will pay off our national debt. they will pay off our tremendous budget deficits which are tremendous. but we are putting our energy companies out of business. we have to bring back our workers. you take a look at what is happening to steel and the cost of steel and china dumping vast
12:31 am
amounts of steel all over the united states which is killing our steel workers and our steel companies. we have to guard our energy companies. we have to make it possible. the epa is so restrictive that they are putting our energy companies out of business. all you have to do is go to a great place like west virginia or ohio which is phenomenal or places like pennsylvania and you see what they are doing to the people miners and others in the energy business. it's a disgrace. it's an absolute disgrace. >> secretary clinton two minutes. >> that was very interesting. first of all, china is illegally dumping steel in the united states and donald trump is buying it to build his buildings, putting steel workers and american steel plants out of business. that is something that i fought against as a senator and that i
12:32 am
would have a trade prosecutor to make sure that we don't get taken advantage of by china on steel or anything else. you know because it sounds like you are in the business or you are aware of people in the business. you know that we are now for the first time ever energy depend t independent. we are not dependent on the middle east. the price of oil has been way down and that has had a damaging effect on a lot of oil companies. we are, however, produce ag lot of natural gas which serves as a bridge to more renewable fuels. i think that is an important transition. we have to remain energy independent. it gives us much more power and freedom than to be worried about what goes on in the middle east. we have enough worries over there without having to worry about that. so i have a comprehensive energy policy but it really does include fighting climate change because i think that is a
12:33 am
serious problem. and i support moving towards more clean renewable energy as quickly as we can because i think we can be the 21st century clean energy super power and create many new jobs and businesses. i want to be sure we don't leave people behind. that's why i'm the only candidate who had a plan to help us revitalize coal country because those coal miners and their fathers and grand fathers dug that coal out. a lot of them lost their lives. they were injured. but they turned the lights on and powered our factories. we have to do something for them. the price of coal is down world wide. so we have to look at this comprehensively and that is exactly what i have proposed. i hope you will go to hillaryclinton.com. >> one more audience question. >> we have sneaked in one more question and it comes from carl
12:34 am
becker. >> my question to both of you is regardless of the current rhetoric would either of you name one positive thing that you respect in one another. >> mr. trump, would you like to go first? >> well, i certainly will because i think that's a very fair and important question. look, i respect his children. his children are incredibly able and devoted. i think that says a lot about donald. i don't agree with nearly anything else he says or does but i do respect that. i think that is something that as a mother and a grand mother is very important to me.
12:35 am
so i believe that this election has become, in part, so conflict oriented, so intense because there is a lot at stake. this is not an ordinary time and this is not an ordinary election. we are going to be choosing a president who will set policy for not just four or eight years but because of some of the important decisions we have to make here at home and around the world and supreme court and energy and so much else. so there is a lot at stake. it is one of the most consequential elections that we have had. that is why i have tried to put forth specific policies and plans and try to get it off of the personal and on to what it is i want to do as president. i hope people will check on that for themselves so that they can see that i spent 30 years, actually maybe a little more
12:36 am
working to help kids and families and i want to take that experience to the white house and do that every single day. >> mr. trump? >> well, i consider her statement about my children to be a very nice compliment. i don't know if it was meant to be a compliment but it is great. i am very proud of my children. they have done a wonderful job and have been wonderful, wonderful kids. i consider that a compliment. i will say this about hillary. she doesn't quit. she doesn't give up. i respect that. i tell it like it is. she is a fighter. i disagree with much of what she is fighting for. i do disagree with her judgment in many cases, but she does fight hard and she doesn't quit and doesn't give up. i consider that to be a very good trait. >> thanks to both of you. >> i want to thank both candidates. i want to thank the university
12:37 am
here. this concludes the town hall meeting. >> please tune in on october 19 for the final presidential debate that will take place at the university of nevada las vegas. good night everyone. [ applause ] a raucous 90 minutes that ends with a handshake but did not begin with one. who won? hillary? donald? certainly not america judging by what we saw in that 90 minutes and the reaction on social media. at times it was uncomfortable in that room. you can feel the anger between the candidates at times. she accused him of being unfit, of being a liar saying his campaign is exploding, saying he has run a hateful divisive campaign. he accused her of being the devil and said she ought to be
12:38 am
in jail and she will be if he becomes president of the united states and says she has tremendous hate in her heart but she is a fighter and she likes his kids. those are the two nice things they managed to say about each other in what was a debate unlike any we have seen in u.s. history. >> it was the most tweeted debate ever according to twitter. it was divisive from the start dealing with the tape, dealing with bill clinton's affairs and the women he met with, donald trump met with, right before the debate. on substance this was donald trump's best debate. he landed a lot of punches. the question is whether he came off presidential. he clearly did one thing, he clearly put the tape and the crisis over the last 48 hours in the rear view mirror according to his supporters and a lot of people who were following this. >> for him and his supporters. >> the media is not going to lay off that.
12:39 am
>> the person who did not tweet during this debate, did not react during the debate was his vice presidential nominee mike pence hasn't said anything during the debate as opposed to acively putting things out throughout. whether donald trump got over the bar to unite the republican party after the concerns over the past 48 hours i think is yet to be seen. he had some strong moments in this debate. >> after they got past the first 30 minutes which were about the tape and what he said and this knifing back and forth he started to throw out real punches which is what his supporters wanted him to do the last time. on the e-mail exchange he left nothing behind. had a great line about abraham lincoln and her talking about how likes to be different in private. he let her have it referring
12:40 am
baic to honest abe. he had a couple of zingers that didn't seem planned. he was a little more vintage trump. he did interrupt her a lot. he got in her face a bit and got in the moderator's face. another question is how does that play in the critical group of swing voters in the middle, in particular suburban women who he needs to persuade to back him. >> going after moderators is usually probably a pretty easy target since we in media have a percentage lower than congress as far as approval. >> congress has percentage lower than a cockroach. let's bring in our panel. laura ingram and juan williams are in broadcast alley atil
12:41 am
win. it's not over which is amazing relative to expectations. >> i thought that she did very well in the first half of the debate but the next half hour after that he did very well especially when he came prepared with specifics on things like obama care which not gotten enough attention. i think there is some fact checking to be done. she did say in her plan she would get rid of carried interest. i think that gets a little technical for people.
12:42 am
in the third half hour i think that maybe a draw at that point. his foreign policy answer i think was very off when it came to what he was saying about russia's participation in helping assad. he was suggesting that they were going after isis. note that is not true. will that wash over? i agree with tucker. live to fight another day? does his vice president live to fight another day? he took issue with something that pike penmike pence said. if you worry about the supreme court and you are a republican you said i liked his answer on that especially because for the first time he talked about the constitution which speaks to conservatives for sure. >> on facebook 76% of the conversation had to deal with donald trump. 24% about hillary clinton. senior gop official telling me on background this is spin alley that they think he killed this and pivoted well tonight.
12:43 am
again, is it enough? >> after the first debate we had a lot of republicans, myself included, wishing why didn't he bring up this or this. we were watching it and saying he is saying things that we have forgotten. bringing up points that we had forgotten. he may not have done a traditional debate prep that a lot of folks wanted him to do. he came across tonight as someone who would fight for america and was really tough on mrs. clinton. he would not buckle into the idea that he hates all women. he wouldn't stay on that. he focussed on the fact that america is in decline. everybody knows it. the economy is flat lining. our foreign policy is in an absolute muddle and we have to try a new path forward. i think that the ending, the last question was a nice moment for him. it was a moment of grace. he needs those moments.
12:44 am
i think it connects with the female voters out there saying you are a fighter. you fight and you fight until the end. i think he needed the moment. it came right at the end of the debate. you said earlier it wasn't a good night for america. might have been a good night for trump. i think people know this country is divided. and they are playing for the whole -- i think they got a pretty good conversation. i think both sides in the end came across pretty well. >> calling her the devil was highest moment, her accusing him of having the entire campaign implode and suggesting he is completely unfit. >> these weren't high moments of rhetorical argument. >> i thought donald trump was the man of the hour here. looked to me like he was flailing desperate at times, made it very personal, went right at her and then at bill clinton and turned away from
12:45 am
mike pence. we heard dana mention a moment ago. this was all about him. i think if you watch this and i was watching carefully the way he was standing behind her looming over her, the way he was pointing a finger at her, i don't know how that played again to the larmger audience specifically to the women who are the heart and soul of the undecideds who will determine the outcome of this election. when it came to substance i don't think hillary clinton had any problem. she was on syria very clear about what she would and would not do. when trump says i would put you in jail and have a special prosecutor he fills the room. everybody is paying attention to him and the video tape and his response to bill clinton. and again hillary clinton chose to lay back and allow donald trump kind of to fill the space and say go check the fact
12:46 am
checking and look at my website because a lot of what he is saying is not true. the consequence is she didn't punch right back and allowed him to occupy the space and have most of the attention. will that benefit him? i don't know. i do think she was very clear that she was more presidential and more thoughtful and more substancive tonight. >> juan, it was different because this is a town hall format. we have the dynamics of walking around the stage. hillary clinton addressing people, answering the question going to them. donald trump didn't sit down. he kind of stood up and paced a little bit. she sat down in between answers. i think they were -- i don't know if he is going to be upset with the microphones this time. there were 80 plus sniffs that you could on new
12:47 am
york thinking. on an emotional level can he win? yes he can. >> the polls show us that fear is one of the top motivators of getting people to the polls and his voters do feel more fearful.
12:48 am
he does need to get out that vote at this point. what a night and what a difference you saw in donald trump in particular from debate number one. he had her on her heels many times. saw hillary clinton that wasn't quite as calm and cool as collected as the first debate but there is so much more to talk about this evening. >> we will be right back with our panel as live coverage continues from the spin room at washington university after this. >> everything he just said is absolutely false but i'm not surprised. it is just awfully good that someone with the temperament of donald trump is not in charge of the law in our country. >> because you would be in jail. >> secretary clinton --
12:49 am
12:50 am
12:51 am
>> the audience playing a role again. they weren't supposed to. they did. welcome back to special coverage of second presidential debate. we just received the tweet from governor pence congrats to my running mate on a big debate win. proud to stand with you as we make america great again. we are back with our panel. was there a moment that stood out in your mind that changed the dynamic here?
12:52 am
i thought his use of humor was great and maybe took tension out of the in new york by myself. there's no one here. but i thought that those two moments were really good. i do think there were a couple of things that were missing. we have the largest generation, the millennials, and i don't think there was somebody under the age of 35 that asked a question. there were missed opportunities. we still don't have a discussion about their approaches to education, both early education and college and how people would pay for it. we don't have something about the opiate addiction and we also don't have something about how they as president are going to approach what is coming, and that is the technological changes that will absolutely change the workforce in america and how they're going to prepare
12:53 am
us for it. because it will be faster than the industrial revolution. i feel like we went over a lot of ground, we talked about the iraq war several times. i wish in these debates they could pull up a little bit more. because that largest generation of millennials deserves attention. there's a reason they're apathetic. no one is talking to them. >> juan williams? >> tonight was the night donald trump did go after bill clinton and hillary for her role in the scandals that encompass part of bill clinton's presidency. obviously he had four women there in the hall with him tonight. we're told that they may be coming to the spin room here. we'll see what that leads to. but these are two women who accused of the president of sexual assault or even rape in one case, none of which was proven, then one woman who was a rape victim when she was 12 and hillary clinton represented the court -- she was the court appointed lawyer for the alleged rapist in that case and got him an acquittal. your thoughts on trump's willingness to play that card tonight and where it takes us
12:54 am
from here? >> well, megyn, this is why i thought you were on target when you said this was a low moment in debates. it was an interesting debate. but when you stop and think about the idea that it got so personal that he's bringing in the candidate's -- his opponent's husband and people who have charged sexual misbehavior on his part, even rape, he's had this press conference before. it's unbelievable. something out of a movie. you can't believe that this is an american presidential debate less than 30 days before the election. now, the interesting part of this is he says, look, i apologize, it was locker room talk. but then hillary clinton comes back, and i think it was a critical moment when she said, he hasn't apologized to the gold star family, to the judge from indiana. he doesn't apologize for the birther movement. but the donald trump you're seeing is a donald trump you get. this is the real donald trump.
12:55 am
how much does that impact the audience tonight when they're watching? because as i said to you earlier, trump's behavior, the tension, the pressure he's under from the videotape really it seems to me was the message of the debate tonight. and i think that's why maybe even an escape artist because it looks like he goes off. >> laura, i want to get your sense on that. because it seemed like that moment early in the debate kind of got overshadowed by different moments throughout this back and forth. >> yeah, juan just said that the tape from 11 years ago was the focus of the debate? i don't think so. i think what donald trump made this into is a referendum on hillary clinton's tenure in public life. we've had a decline in civility, respect, you bet. that's happened during this election. megyn, you're right about that. no doubt about it. but what we've also seen over the last 15 years from
12:56 am
republicans and democrats is a woefully mismanaged u.s. economy, a foreign policy that is in tatters. our adversaries don't respect us, our allies don't know if they can count on us. those are just facts. she can try to make it about trump's temperament or things he said to billy bush, but americans know we're inches from going down a rat hole and we're going to swirl down the rat hole, the toilet, whatever metaphor you want to use because donald trump said something 11 years ago? or we're going to have a different path forward. that's what his argument was tonight. >> let me ask you about that. as a trump staunch defender because it's not for many women and men what he said one time 11 years ago, it's a pattern. it's a pattern of disparaging remarks about women, grading women by their look, talking about how they can't be a ten if they're flat chested and so on, talking about coming on to women, grabbing them by the genitals against their consent, sexual assault, making light of
12:57 am
it, how you're powerful and a star, you can do whatever you want. those are things that people said, this man doesn't respect half of the people in the country. defend that. as one of his staunchest defenders and a woman, defend that. >> well, first of all, the issues that i care about are the issues that he brought forward, which are enforcing the border, bringing back the economy and doing trade dole deals that ma sense to the american worker. but i'll tell you this, for every, you know, instance that you'll point to of trump's lack of respect for women, we actually have a president who was impeached and then protected by his wife and then, of course, hillary clinton goes after all these women who are appearing earlier in the show today. so this is a question for people to tackle. >> panel, thank you very much. obviously, continuing coverage of a fascinating night.
12:58 am
that does it for this second presidential debate in ten days we'll be back for special coverage of the third debate from las vegas with our friend and colleague chris wallace of fox news sunday. >> but up next,
12:59 am
1:00 am
it is monday, october 10th, slugfest in st. louis. fireworks at the second presidential debate. >> it was tension reaching new heights. the candidates starting out with a snub rather than a handshake. that was in the first minute. >> good morning to you. you are watching fox & friends first. i'm heather childers. >> right out of the gate the gloves were off. donald trump delivering as promised, hitting hillary clinton hard. >> i take classified material very seriously. >> and yet, she didn't know the

35 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on