Skip to main content

tv   Presidential Candidates Debate  FOX News  October 19, 2016 6:00pm-8:01pm PDT

6:00 pm
get ready at 3:00 sharp -- you are going to hear during the black platforms all the networks beginning to do their coverage. 30 seconds before i will give you notice that we are going to start. >> good evening, everyone. and welcome to the third and final presidential debate. i'm megyn kelly. >> i'm bret baier. getting ready the final time. our colleague chris wallace moderating. and he just went to silence, which was good that we caught that just in time. >> he was basically admonishing the audience to maintain quiet which is different than some of the eight debates we saw during the primary season which could be more raucous which could be a little bit more fun, you might argue. these are serious, serious events. all the audiences are told to be quiet and respectful. they don't always livin'. >> they don't. we have been through these debates where the audience has actually weighed in a number of times. a general election debate is different and it plays different. here is an important moment
6:01 pm
in this campaign. really it is a last effort by effort to turn. polls have been upside down against him there is a lot of ammo on the table if you will. the wikileaks emails. the fbi documents. the project veritas videotape, all of it raising serious questions about the clinton campaign. >> and but we have seen trump turn the polls around time and time again. even after the democratic national convention where he came out and had a dust-up with the gold star family he turned those polls around. hillary clinton collapsed on camera. and by the time they went into that first debate they were neck and neck again. then trump stumbled over the issue of alicia matched the former miss universe and his numbers started to go down. prior to that he had gone up and tighter and then gone down at least three times. the question is whether he can do something tonight to get that momentum restarted for himself and even this race out. >> there is a lot of tension in here. we saw the families come in. they did not shake hands.
6:02 pm
they sat down. we don't know if the candidates themselves, the nominees will shake hands. they didn't the last debate. the second debate. they did at the end of that debate. and there has been a lot of back and forth in the guests, in fact, the half-brother of president obama malik obama is here for the trump campaign as are some other interesting guests on both sides. >> we were told that the trump campaign is also inviting the fiance of ambassador chris stevens who was killed in the benghazi terrorist attack. >> sarah palin. >> pat smith the mother of another benghazi victim. we will see whether there is any sort of crowd shots of these folks and whether it has any sort of impact. this is it in a campaign that has lasted a year and a half, this is the final chance for the two candidates who rose above all others to face off against one another. and this may be the last time they see each other for a long, long time. >> think about the trajectory that this campaign has taken from no one believing that donald trump would get in this race to his unbelievable rise in
6:03 pm
the polls in the republican primary, started in august with that first debate in cleveland. and now this is the final general election debate. it looks a lot similar to what we saw in hempstead, new york. the stage is exactly the same. in fact, it's the same stage. a smaller lecturn for hillary clinton. larger for donald trump. and the difference here, chris wallace. and he is the fox news moderator who may ask some pointed questions tonight. >> you will notice that they are standing in this third debate. prior debates
6:04 pm
6:05 pm
6:06 pm
citizens? what kind of rights will americans have? and i feel strongly that the supreme court needs to stand on the side of the american people, not on the side of the powerful corporations and the wealthy. for me, that means that we need a supreme court that will stand up on behalf of women's rights, on behalf of the rights of the lgbt community, that will stand up and say no to citizens united, a decision that has undermined the election system in our country because of the way it permits dark, unaccountable money to come in to our electoral system. i have major disagreements with my opponent about these issues and others that will
6:07 pm
be before the supreme court. but i feel that at this point in our country's history it is important that we not reverse marriage equality, that we not reverse roe v. wade, that we stand up against citizens united. we stand up for the rights of people in the workplace, that we stand up and basically say the supreme court should represent all of us. that's how i see the court and the kind of people that i would be looking to nominate to the court would be in the great tradition of standing up to the powerful, standing up on behalf of our rights as americans. and i look forward to having that opportunity. i would hope the senate would do its job, and confirm the nominee that president obama has sent to them. that's the way the constitution fundamentally should operate. the president nominates and then the senate advises and
6:08 pm
consents, or not, but they go forward with the process. >> secretary clinton, thank you. mr. trump, same question. where do you want to see the court take the country and how do you believe the constitution should be interpreted? >> well, first of all, it's great to be with you. and thank you, everybody. the supreme court it's what it's all about. our country is so, so -- it's just so imperative that we have the right justices. something happened recently where justice ginsburg made some very, very inappropriate statements toward me and toward a tremendous number of people, many, many millions of people that i represent. and she was forced to apologize. and apologize she did. but these were statements that should never ever have been made. we need a supreme court that, in my opinion, is going to uphold the second amendment and all amendments but the second amendment, which is under absolute siege. i believe if my opponent should win this race which i
6:09 pm
truly don't think will happen, we have a second amendment which will be a very, very small replica of what it is right now. but i feel that it's absolutely important that we uphold because of the fact that it is under such trauma. i feel that the justices that i am going to appoint and i have named 20 of them, the justices that i am going to appoint will be pro-life. they will have a conservative bent. they will be protecting the second amendment. they are great scholars in all cases. they are people of tremendous respect. they will interpret the constitution the way the founders wanted it interpreted. and i believe that's very, very important. i don't think we should have justices appointed that decide what they want to hear. it's all about the constitution of and so important the constitution the way it was meant to be.
6:10 pm
and those are the people that i will appoint. >> mr. trump, thank you. we now have about 10 minutes for an open discussion. i want to focus on two issues that in fact by the justices that you named could end up changing the existing law of the land. first is one that you mentioned, mr. trump, and that is guns. secretary clinton, you said last year and let me quote. the supreme court is wrong on the second amendment. and now, in fact, in the 2008 heller case, the court ruled that there is a constitutional right to bear arms but a right that is reasonably limited. those were the words of the judge antonin scalia who wrote the decision. what's wrong with that? >> well, first of all, i support the second amendment. i lived in arkansas for 18 wonderful years. i represented upstate new york. i understand and respect the tradition of gun ownership. it goes back to the founding of our country. but i also believe that
6:11 pm
there can be and must be reasonable regulation. pause i support the second amendment doesn't mean that i want people who shouldn't have guns to be able to threaten you, kill you or members of your family. and so when i think about what we need to do, we have 33,000 people a year who die from guns. i think we need comprehensive background checks. we need to close the online loophole, close the gun show loophole. there is other matters that i think are sensible that are the kind of reforms that would make a difference that are not in any way conflicting with the second amendment. you mentioned the heller decision and what i was saying that you referenced, chris, was that i disagreed with the way the court applied the second amendment in that case. because what the district of columbia was trying to do was to protect toddlers from guns. and so they wanted people with guns to safely store
6:12 pm
them. and the court didn't accept that reasonable regulation but they have accepted many others. so i see no conflict between saving people's lives and defending the second amendment. >> let me bring in trump in here. the bipartisan open debate coalition got millions of votes on questions to ask here and this was, in fact, one of the top questions that they got. how will you ensure the second amendment is protected. you just heard secretary clinton's answer. does she persuade you that while you may disagree on regulation that, in fact, she supports a second amendment right to bear arms? >> well, the d.c. vs. heller decision was very strongly and she was extremely angry about it. i watched. she was very, very angry when upheld and justice scalia was so involved. and it was a well crafted decision. but hillary was extremely upset. extremely angry. and people that believe in the second amendment and believe in it very strongly
6:13 pm
were very upset with what she had to say. >> well, let me bring in secretary clinton. were you extremely upset? >> well, i was upset because, unfortunately, dozens of toddlers injure themselves, even kill people with guns because, unfortunately, not everyone who has loaded guns in their homes takes appropriate precaution. but there is no doubt that i respect the second amendment, that i also believe there is an individual right to bear arms. that is not in conflict with sensible, common sense regulation. and, you know, look, i understand that donald has been strongly supported by the nra, the gun lobby is on his side. they are running millions of dollars of ads against me. i regret that because what i would like to see is for people to come together and say, of course, we're going to protect and defend the second amendment. but, we're going to do it in a way that tries to save some of these 33,000 lives that we lose every year.
6:14 pm
>> let me bring mr. trump back in to that because, in fact, you opposed any limits on assault weapons, any limits on high capacity magazines. you support a national right to carry law. why, sir? >> well, let me just tell you before we go any further. in chicago, which has the toughest gun laws in the united states probably more gun laws than any city. we have the toughest laws and you have tremendous gun violence. i am a very strong supporter of the second assessment. i am -- i don't know if hillary was saying it in a very sarcastic manner. i'm very proud to have the endorsement of the nra. earliest endorsement they have given to anybody who has run for president. i'm very honored by that we are going to appoint justices. this is the best way to help the second amendment. we're going to appoint justices that will feel very strongly about the second amendment, that will not do damage to the second amendment.
6:15 pm
>> well, let's pick up on another issue which divides you and the justices that whoever ends up winning this election appoints could have a dramatic affect there. and that's the issue of abortion. mr. trump, you're pro-life. i want to ask you specifically, do you want the court, including the justices that you will name, to overturn roe v. wade which includes, in fact, states a woman's right to abortion? >> well, if that would happen, because i am pro-life and i will be appointing pro-life judges, i would think that that will go back to the individual states. >> but i'm asking you specifically, would you like -- >> -- if they overturned it, it would go back to the states. >> what i'm asking you sir is, do you want to see the court overturn? you have just said you want to see the court protect the second amendment. do you want to see the court overturn roe v. wade? >> well, if we put another two or perhaps three justices on, that's really what's will happen. and that will happen automatically, in my opinion because i am putting
6:16 pm
pro-life justices on the court. i will say this. it will go back to the states and the states will then make a determination. >> secretary clinton? >> well, i strongly support roe v. wade which guarantees a constitutional right to a woman to make the most intimate, most difficult in many cases decisions about her healthcare that one can imagine. and, in this case, it's not only about roe v. wade, it is about what's happening right now in america. so many states are putting very stringent regulations on women that block them from exercising that choice to the extent that they are defunding planned parenthood, which, of course, provides all kinds of cancer screenings and other benefits for women in our country. donald has said he is in favor of defunding planned parenthood. he even supported shutting the government down to defund planned parenthood. i will defend planned parenthood. i will defend roe v. wade,
6:17 pm
and i will defend women's right to make their own healthcare decisions. we have come too far to have that turned back now and indeed, he said women should be punished. that there should be some form of punishment for women who obtain abortions. and i could just not be more opposed to that kind of thinking. >> i'm going to give you a chance to respond. i want to ask you, secretary clinton. i want to explore how far you believe the right to abortion goes. you have been quoted as saying that the fetus has no constitutional rights. you also voted against a ban on late term partial birth abortions. why? >> because roe v. wade very clearly sets out that there can be regulations on abortion so long as the life and the health of the mother are taken into account. and when i voted as a senator, i did not think that that was the case. the kinds of cases that fall
6:18 pm
at the end of pregnancy are often the most heart breaking, painful decisions for families to make. i have met with women who have toward the end of their pregnancy get the worse news one could get that their health is in jeopardy if they continue to carry to term or that something terrible has happened or just been discovered about the pregnancy. i do not think the united states government should be stepping in and making those most personal of decisions. so, you can regulate, if you are doing so with the life and the health of the mother taken into account. >> mr. trump, your reaction, and particularly on this issue of late term partial birth abortion. >> i think it's terrible if you go with what hillary is saying in the ninth month, you can take the baby and rip the baby out of the womb of the mother just prior to the birth of the baby. now, you can say that that's
6:19 pm
okay and hillary can say that that's okay, but it's not okay with me. because based on what she is saying and based on where she is going and where she has been, you can take the baby and rip the baby out of the womb in the ninth month on the final day. and that's not acceptable. >> well, that is not what happens in these cases. and using that kind of scare rhetoric is just terribly unfortunate. you should meet with some of the women that i have met with. women i have known over the course of my life. this is one of the worst possible choices that any woman and her family has to make. and i do not believe the government should be making it. you know, i have had the great honor of traveling across the world on behalf of our country. i have been to countries where governments either forced women to have abortions like they used to do in china or forced women to bear children like they used to do in romania. i can tell you the government has no business in the decisions that women
6:20 pm
make with their families in accordance with their faith, with medical advice, and i will stand up for that right. >> all right. but just briefly, i want to move on. >> and honestly nobody has business doing what i just said, doing that as late as one or two or three or four days prior to birth. nobody has that right. >> let's move onto the subject of immigration. and there is almost no issue that separates the two of you more than the issue of immigration. actually, there are a lot of issues that separate the two of you. mr. trump, you want to build a wall. secretary clinton, you have offered no specific plan for how you want to secure our southern border. mr. trump, you are calling for major deportations. secretary clinton, you say that within your first 100 days as president you are going to offer a package that includes a pathway to citizenship. the question really is why are you right and your opponent wrong. mr. trump, did you go first in this segment. you have two minutes. >> first of all, she wants to give amnesty which is a
6:21 pm
disaster and very unfair to all of the people waiting in line for many, many years. we need strong borders. in the audience tonight we have four mothers of and i mean these are unbelievable people that i have gotten to know over a period of years whose children have been killed, brutally killed by people who came into the country illegally. you have thousands of mothers and fathers and relatives all over the country. they are coming in illegally, drugs are pouring in through the border. we have no country if we have no border. hillary wants to give amnesty. she wants to have open borders. the border -- as you know the border patrol agents 16500 plus ice last week endorsed me. first time they have ever endorsed a candidate. it means their job is tougher. they know what's going on. they know it better than anybody. they want strong borders. they feel we have to have strong borders. i was up in new hampshire the other day. the biggest complaint they have with all of the problems going on in the world, many of the problems caused by hillary clinton and by barack obama, all of
6:22 pm
the problems the single biggest problem is heroin that pours across our southern border. just pouring and destroying their youth. it's poisoning the blood of their youth and plenty of other people. we have to have strong borders. we have to keep the drugs out of our country. we are -- right now we are getting the drugs. they are getting the cash. we need strong borders. we need absolute -- we cannot give amnesty. now, i want to build a wall. we need the wall. the border patrol, ice, they all want the wall. we stopped the drugs, we shore up the border. one of my first acts would be to get all of the drug lords and bad ones, we have bad, bad people in this country that have to go out. we are going to get them out. we're going to secure the border. once the border is secured at a later date we will make a determination as to the rest. but we have some bad okay brays here and we are going to get them out. >> mr. trump, thank you. same question to you, secretary clinton. basically why are you right and mr. trump is wrong?
6:23 pm
>> well, as he was talking, i was thinking about a young girl i met here in las vegas, carla, who was very worried that her parents might be deported because she was born in this country but they were not. they work hard. they do everything they can to give her a good life. and, you're right, i don't want to rip families apart. i don't want to be sending parents away from children. i don't want to see the deportation force that donald has talked about in action in our country. we have 11 million undocumented people. they have 4 million american citizen children. 15 million people. he said as recently as a few weeks ago in phoenix that every undocumented person would be subject to deportation. now, here's what that means. it means that you would have to have a massive law enforcement presence where law enforcement officers would be going school to school, home to home, business to business, rounding up people who are
6:24 pm
undocumented. and, we would then have to put them on trains, on buses, to get them out of our country. i think that is an idea that is not in keeping with who we are as a nation. i think it's an idea that would rip our country apart. i have been for border security for years. i voted for border security in the united states senate. and my comprehensive immigration reform plan, of course, includes border security. but i want to put our resources where i think they are most needed. getting rid of any violent person, anybody who should be deported, we should deport them. when it comes to the wall that donald talks about building, he went to mexico. he had a meeting with the mexican president, didn't even raise it he choked. and then got into a twitter war because the mexican president said we're not paying for that wall. so, i think we are both a nation of immigrants and we are a nation of laws. and that we can act
6:25 pm
accordingly. and that's why i'm introducing comprehensive immigration reform within the first 100 days with a path to citizenship. >> thank you, secretary clinton. i want to follow up. >> chris, i think i should respond to that: first of all, i had a very good meeting with the president of mexico. very nice man. we will be doing very much better with mexico on trade deals, believe me. the nafta deal signed by her husband is one of the worst deals made of any kind signed by anybody. it's a disaster. hillary clinton wanted the wall. hillary clinton fought for the wall. in 2006 or thereabouts. now, she never gets anything done, so naturally the wall wasn't built. but hillary clinton wanted the wall. >> well, let me, sir. >> we have tops of law. >> and by the way. >> no, wait. i would like to hear from secretary clinton. >> i voted for border security. and there are. >> on the wall. >> there are some limited places where that was appropriate. there is also necessarily
6:26 pm
going to be new technology and how best to deploy that it is clear when you look at what donald has been proposing. he started his campaign bashing immigrants, calling mexican immigrants rapists and criminals and drug dealers that he has a very different view about what we should do to deal with immigrants. now, what i am also arguing is that bringing undocumented immigrants out from the shadows, putting them into the formal economy will be good, because then employers can't exploit them and undercut american's wages. donald knows a lot about this. he used undocumented labor to build the trump tower. he underpaid undocumented workers. when they complained he basically said what a lot of employers do. you complain, i will get you deported. i want to get everybody out of the shadows. get the economy working, and not let employers like donald exploit undocumented workers which hurts them but also hurts american workers. >> mr. trump? >> president obama has moved
6:27 pm
millions of people out. nobody knows about it nobody talks about it, but under obama, millions of people have been moved out of this country. they have been deported. she doesn't want to say that but that's what's happened. that's what's happened big league. as far as moving these people out and moving we either have a country or we don't. we are a country of laws. we either have a border or we don't. now, can you come back in and you can become a citizen, but it's very unfair. we have millions of people that did it the right way. they were in line, they are waiting. we are going to speed up the process big league because it's very inefficient. they are in line and waiting to become citizens. very unfair that somebody runs across the border, becomes a citizen. under her plan you have open borders, you would have a disaster on trade, and you will have a disaster with your open borders. but what she doesn't say is that president obama has deported millions and millions of people just the way. >> secretary clinton -- >> -- we will not have open borders. >> let me ask. >> that is a rank
6:28 pm
mischaracterization. >> secretary clinton. >> we have secure borders but we will also have reform. and this used to be a bipartisan issue. ronald reagan. >> secretary clinton, committee. >> signed immigration reform and george w. bush reported it as well. >> secretary clinton i want to clear up your position on this issue because, in a speech you gave to a brazillian bank for which you were paid $225,000, we have learned from the wikileaks that you said this, and i want to quote. my dream is a hemispheric common market with open trade and open borders. so,. >> thank you. >> that's the question. [ laughter ] >> that's the question. please quiet, everybody. is that your dream? open borders? >> well, if you went on to read the rest of the steps, i was talking about energy. you know, we trade more energy with our neighbors than we trade with the rest of the world combined. and i do want us to have an electric grid and energy system that crosses borders. i think that would be a great benefit to us.
6:29 pm
but, you are very clearly quoting from wikileaks and what's really important about wikileaks is that the russian government has engaged in espionage against americans. they have hacked american websites, american accounts of private people, of institutions. then they have given that information to wikileaks for the purpose of putting it on the internet. this has come from the highest levels of the russian government. clearly from putin himself in an effort as 17 of our intelligence agencies have confirmed to influence our election. so i actually think the most important question of this evening, chris, is finally, will donald trump admit and condemn that the russians are doing this and make it clear that he will not have the help of putin in this election, that he rejects
6:30 pm
russian espionage against americans, which he actually encouraged in the past. those are the questions we need answered. we have never had anything like this happen in any of our elections before. >> that was a great pivot off the fact that she wants open borders. okay? [ laughter ] >> how did we get. >> hold on. >> hold on, folks. because we -- this is going to end up getting out of control. let's try to keep it quiet for the candidates and for the american people. >> just to finish on the borders. >> yes. >> she wants open borders. people are going to pour in to our country. people are going to come in from syria. she wants 550% more people than barack obama. he has thousands and thousands of people. they have no idea where they come from. and you see. we are going to stop radical islamic terrorism in this country. she won't even mention the words and neither will president obama. so, i just want to tell you, she wants open borders. now we can talk about putin. i don't know putin. he said nice things about me. if would got along well,
6:31 pm
that would be good. if russia and the united states got along well and went after isis, that would be good. he has no respect for her. he has no respect for our president. i will tell you what, we are in very serious trouble. because we have a country with tremendous numbers of nuclear war heads. 1800, by the way. where they expanded and we didn't. 1800 nuclear war heads and she is playing chicken. look. putin, from everything i see has no respect for this person. >> well, that's because he would rather have a puppet as president. >> no puppet, no puppet. >> it's clear. >> you're the puppet. >> it's pretty clear you won't admit. >> you're the puppet. >> russians have engaged in cyber attacks against the united states of america. that you encouraged espionage against our people. that you are willing to spout the putin line, sign up for his wish list, break up nato, do whatever he
6:32 pm
wants to do. and that you continue to get help from him because he has a very clear favorite in this race. so, i think that this is such an unprecedented situation. we have never had a foreign government trying to interfere in our election. we have 17 -- 17 intelligence agencies, civilian and military, who have all concluded that these espionage attacks, these cyber attacks come from the highest levels of the kremlin and they are designed to influence our election. i find that deeply disturbing. >> secretary clinton. >> she has no idea whether it's russia, china, or anybody else. >> i am not quoting myself. i am quoting 17. >> hillary, you have no idea. >> 17 intelligence. do you doubt 17 military. >> our country has no idea. >> agencies as well. >> i doubt it? >> he would rather believe vladimir putin than the military and civilian intelligence professionals who are sworn to protect us.
6:33 pm
i find that just absolutely. >> she doesn't like putin because putin has outsmarted her at every step of the way. excuse me. putin has outsmarted her in syria. >> mr. trump, i'm not a potted plant here. i do get to ask some questions. >> yes, that's fine. >> i would like to ask you this direct question. the top national security officials of this country do believe that russia has been behind these hacks. even if you don't know for sure whether they are, do you condemn any interference by russia in the american election? >> by russia or anybody else. >> you condemn their interference. >> of course i condemn. of course i condemn. i don't know putin. i have no idea. i never met putin. this is not my best friend. but in the united states got along with russia, wouldn't be so bad. let me tell you, putin has outsmarted her and obama at every single step of the way. whether it's syria, you name it, missiles, take a look at the start-up that they signed.
6:34 pm
the russians have said, according to many many reports, i can't believe they allowed us to do this. they create war heads and we can't. the russians can't believe it she has been outsmarted by putin and all you have to do is look at the middle east. they have taken over. we have spent $6 trillion. they have taken over the middle east. she has been outsmarted and outplayed worse than anybody i have ever seen in any government whatsoever. >> we're a long way away from immigration but i'm going to let you finish this topic. you have got about 45 seconds. >> and she always will be. >> i find it ironic that he is raising nuclear weapons. this is a person who has been very cavalier, even casual about the use of nuclear weapons. >> wrong. >> he has advocated more countries, getting them, japan, core rea even saudi arabia. if we have them, why don't we use them. which i think is terrifying. here is the bottom line on nuclear weapons is when the president gives the order, it must be followed.
6:35 pm
there is about four minutes between the order being given and the people responsible for launching nuclear weapons to do so. and that's why 10 people who have had that awesome responsibility have come out and in unprecedented way said they would not trust donald trump with the nuclear code or to have his finger on the nuclear button. >> i have 200 generals. >> quickly. >> generals and admirals. 21 endorsing me. 21 congressional medal of honor recipients as far as japan and other countries, we are being ripped off by everybody, we are defending other countries. we are spending a fortune doing it. they have the bargain of the century. all i said is we have to renegotiate these agreements because our country cannot afford to defend saudi arainia, japan, germany, south many other places. we cannot continue to
6:36 pm
afford. she took that as some kind of nuclear weapons. look, she has proven to be a liar on so many different ways. this is just another lie. >> well, i'm just quoting you, when. >> there is no quote. you are not going to find a quote from me. >> nuclear, nuclear competition in asia. you said, you know, go ahead, enjoy yourself, folks. that kind. >> and defend yourselves. and defend yourselves. i didn't say nuclear and defend yourself. >> the united states has kept the peace through our alliances. donald wants to tear up our alliances. i think it makes the world safer and frankly it makes the united states safer. i would work with our allies in asia, in europe, in the middle east, and elsewhere. that's the only way we are going to be. >> no, we are going to move onto the next topic which is the economy. and i hope we handle that as well as we did immigration. you also have very different ideas about how to get the economy growing faster. secretary clinton, in your
6:37 pm
plan, government plays a big role. you see more government spending, more entitlements, more tax credits, more tax penalties. in trump, you want to get government out with lower taxes and less regulations. >> yes. >> we're going to drill down into this a little bit more. in this overview please explain to me why you believe that your plan will create more jobs and growth for this country and your opponent's plan will not. in this round you go first, secretary clinton. >> i think when the middle class thrives, america thrives. my plan is based on growing the economy, giving middle class families many more opportunities. i want us to have the biggest jobs program since world war ii. jobs in infrastructure and advanced manufacturing. i think we can compete with high wage countries and i believe we should. new jobs in clean energy not only to fight climate change, which is a serious problem but to create new opportunities and new businesses. i want us to do more to help
6:38 pm
small business. that's where two thirds of the new jobs are going to come from. i want us to raise the national minimum wage because people who live in poverty should not -- who work full time should not still be in poverty and i sure do want to make sure that women get equal pay for the work we do. i feel strongly that we have to have an education system that starts with preschool and goes through college. that's why i want more technical education in high schools and community colleges. real apprenticeships to prepare young people for the jobs of the future. i want to make college debt-free and for families making less than $125,000 you will not get a tuition bill from a public college or university. it's a plan that i worked on with bernie sanders is enacted. we will work hard to make sure that it is because we are going to go where the money is. most of the gains in the last years since the great recession have gone to the very top. so we are going to have the wealthy pay their fair share. we are going to have
6:39 pm
corporations make a contribution greater than they are now to our country. that is a plan that has been analyzed by independent experts which said that it could produce 10 million new jobs. by contrast, donald's plan has been analyzed to conclude it might lose 3.5 million jobs. why? because his whole plan is to cut taxes, to give the biggest tax breaks ever to the wealthy and to corporations. adding $20 trillion to our debt, and causing the kind of dislocation that we have seen before. because it truly will be trickle down economics on steroids. so the plan i have i think will actually produce greater opportunities. the plan he has will cost us jobs and possibly lead to another great recession. >> secretary, thank you. mr. trump, why will your plan create more jobs and growth than secretary clinton's? >> well, first of all before i start on my plan her plan is going to raise taxes and even double your taxes. her tax plan is a disaster. and she can say all she
6:40 pm
wants about college television. tuition. i'm a bringing pro-proponent. the rest of the public will be paying for it we have a massive, massive increase under hillary clinton's plan. i would like to start off where we left because, when i said japan and germany and i'm not to single them out but south korea, these are very rich, powerful countries. saudi arabia, nothing but money. we protect saudi arabia. why aren't they paying? she immediately when she heard this, i questioned it. and i questioned nato. why aren't the nato questioned why aren't they paying? because they weren't paying. a year ago all of the sudden they are paying. i have been given credit for it all of the sudden they are paying up. we are protecting people they have to pay up. i'm a big fan of nato. they have to pay up. she come out and say we love our allies we think our allies are great. well, it's awfully hard to get them to pay up. we think how great they are.
6:41 pm
we have to tell japan very nice way. we have to tell germany, all of these countries, south korea, we have to say you have to help us out. we have during his regime, during president obama's regime, we have doubled our national debt. we're up to $20 trillion. so my plan we're going to renegotiate trade deals. we're going to have a lot of free trade. more free trade than we have right now. we have horrible deals. our jobs are being taken out by the deal that her husband signed. nafta, one of the worst deals ever. our jobs are being sucked out of our economy. you look at all of the places that i just left. did you go to pennsylvania. did you go to ohio. did you go to florida. you go to any of them. you go upstate, new york, our jobs have fled to mexico and other places. we are bringing our jobs back. i'm going to re negotiate nafta. if i can't make a great deal, then we're going to terminate nafta and going to create new deals. we're going to have trade. we're going to terminate it. we're going to make a great trade deal. and, if we can't, we're going to do it and go a separate way because it has
6:42 pm
been a disaster. we are going to cut taxes massively. we are going to cut business taxes massively. they are going to start hiring people. we're going to bring the $2.5 trillion offshore back into the country. we are going to start the engine rolling again because right now. >> mr. trump. >> right now our country is dying at 1% g.d.p. >> well, let me translate that if i can chris because. >> you can't. >> the fact is he is going to advocate for the largest tax cuts we have ever seen. three times more than the tax cuts under the bush administration. i have said repeatedly throughout this campaign i will not raise taxes on anyone making $250,000 or less. i also will not add a penny to the debt. i have costed out what i'm going to do. he will, through his massive tax cutsed a $20 trillion to the debt. he mentioned the debt. we know how to get control of the debt. when my husband was president we went from 300 billion-dollar deficit to
6:43 pm
200 billion-dollar surplus and actually on the path to eliminating the national debt. when president obama came in to office he inherited the worst economic disaster since the great depression. he has cut the deficit by two thirds. so, yes, one of the ways you go after the debt, one of the ways you create jobs is by investing in people. so, i do have investments, investments in new jobs. investments in education, skill training, and the opportunities for people to get ahead and stay ahead. that's the kind of approach. >> secretary. >> approach that will work. we have tried that. it has not worked the way that it has been promised. >> i want to pursue your plan because, in many ways, it is similar to the obama stimulus plan in 2009, which has led to the slowest g.d.p. growth since 1949. >> correct. >> thank you, sir. you told me in july when we
6:44 pm
spoke that the problem is that president obama didn't get to do enough in what he was trying to do with the stimulus. so, is your plan basically more, even more of the obama stimulus? >> well, it's a combination, chris. let me say that when you inherit the level of economic catastrophe that president obama inherited, it was a real touch and go situation. i was in the senate before i became secretary of state. i have never seen people as physically distraught as the bush administration team was because of what was happening to the economy. i personally believe that the steps that president obama took saved the economy. he doesn't get the credit he deserves for taking some very hard positions. but it was a terrible recession. so now we have dug ourselves out of it, we're standing, but we're not yet running. so what i am proposing is that we invest from the
6:45 pm
middle out and the ground up. not the top down. that is not going to work. that's why what i have put forward doesn't add a penny to the debt. it is the kind of approach that will enable more people to take those new jobs, higher paying jobs. we are beginning to see some increase in incomes. and we certainly have had a long string of increasing jobs. we have got to do more to get the whole economy moving and that's what i believe i will be able to do. >> mr. trump, even conservative economists who have looked at your plan say that the numbers don't add up, your idea and you have talked about 25 million jobs created, 4%. >> over a 10-year period. >> growth is unrealistic. and they say, you talk a lot about growing the energy industry, you say with oil prices as low as they are right now. that's unrealistic as well. your response? >> i just left some high representatives of india. they are growing at 8%.
6:46 pm
china is growing at 7%. and that, for them is, a catastrophically low number. we are growing our last report came out and it's right around the 1% level and i think it's going down. last week, as you know, the end of last week, they came out with an anemic jobs report. a terrible jobs report. in fact, i said is that the last jobs report before the election because, if it is, i should win easily it was so bad. the report was so bad. look, our country is stagnant. we have lost our jobs. we have lost our businesses. we're not making things anymore. relatively speaking. our product is pouring in from china, pouring in from vietnam. pouring in from all over the world. i have visited so many communities. this has been such an incredible education for me, chris, i have gotten to know so many, i have developed so many friends over the last year. and they cry when they see what's happened. i pass factories that were thriving 20, 25 years ago.
6:47 pm
because of the bill that her husband signed and she blessed 100 percent, it is just horrible what's happened to these people in these communities. she can say that her husband did well but boy, did they suffer as nafta kicked in. it didn't kick in very much. but it kicked in after they left. boy, did they suffer. that was one of the worse things that's ever been signed by our country. now she wants to sign transpacific partnership and she wants it. she lied when she didn't call it the gold standard in one the debates. she lied. they did call it the gold standard. they actually fact checked and said i was right. >> i want to give you a chance to briefly speak to that and then i want to pivot. >> that will be as bad as nafta. >> briefly? >> first, let me say unnumber one when i saw the final agreement for tpp i said i was against it. it didn't meet my test. i have had the same test. does it create jobs? raise incomes, and further our national security? i'm against it now. i will be against it after the election. i will be against it when
6:48 pm
i'm president. there is only one of us on this stage that has actually shipped jobs to mexico. that's donald. he has shipped jobs to 12 countries including mexico. he mentioned china. one of the biggest problems we have with china is the illegal dumping of steel and aluminum in to our market. i have fought against that. as a senator i stood up against it as secretary of state. donald has bought chinese steel and aluminum. in fact, the trump hotel right here in las vegas was made with chinese steel. so he goes around with crocodile tears about how terrible it is but he has given jobs to chinese steel workers, not american steel workers. >> mr. trump. >> that's the kind of that is not going to work. we are going to pull the country together. we are going to have trade agreements that we enforce. that's why i'm going to have a trade prosecutor for the first time in history. we're going to enforce those agreements and we're going to look for businesses. >> secretary clinton. >> by buying american pruckets products. >> i ask a simple question. she has been doing this for 30 years.
6:49 pm
why the hell didn't you do it over the last 15, 20 years? >> i voted to. >> involved. excuse me. my turn. you were very much involved in every aspect of this country, very much. and you do have experience. i say the one thing you have over me is experience, but it's bad experience. because what you have done is turned out badly. for 30 years have you been in a position to help, and if you say that i use steel or i use something else, i makimake it impossible for me to do that. i wouldn't mind. the problem is you talk, but you don't get anything done, hillary. you don't. just like when you ran the state department, $6 billion was missing. how do you miss $6 billion? you ran the state department $6 billion was either stolen. they don't know. it's gone. $6 billion. if you become president, this country is going to be in some mess, believe me. >> well, first of all, what he just said about the state department is not only untrue, it's been debunked
6:50 pm
numerous times. but, i think it's really an important issue he raised the 30 years of experience. let me just talk briefly about that. you know, back in the 1970s, i worked for the children's defense fund and i was taking on discrimination worked children's defense fund. i took on discrimination of african-american students in schools. he was being sued for racial discrimination in his apartment buildings. in the 1980s i was reforming schools in arkansas, he was borrowing $14 million from his father to start businesses. i went to beijing, he insulted a former miss universe, called her an eating machine. on the day when i was in the situation room monitoring the raid that brought osama bin laden to justice, he was hosting "the celebrity apprentice." so i'm happy to compare my 30 years of experience, what i have done for this country, trying to
6:51 pm
help in every way i could, especially kids and family get ahead and stay ahead with your 30 years and i'll let the american people make that decision. >> i think i did a better job. i built a massive company with some of the greatest assets in the world. worth many many billions of dollars. i started with a $1 million loan, i agree with that, but i built a phenomenal country. if we could run our country the way i run my company you would be so proud you would even be proud of it, and when you look at her real record, look at syria, migration, libya, iraq, she gave us isis because her and obama created a huge vacuum. a small group came out of that huge vacuum. we should never have been in iraq, and once we were we should never have got out the way we did. she gave us isis and you're
6:52 pm
sitting there and now isis is in 32 countries and now i listen to how she is going to get rid of isis, she is going to get to nobody. >> we'll talk about foreign hot spots in a few moments, first we're talking about fitness to be president. mr. trump, you said your talk about grabbing women was just talk and you have never done it. now nine women have come forward and said you groped them or kissed them without their consent. why would so many different women from so many different circumstances over so many different years, why would they all in the last couple weeks make up -- you deny this, why would they make up the stories and since this is a question for both of you, secretary clinton, mr. trump says what your husband did, and that you defended him
6:53 pm
was even worse. >> those stories have been largely debunked. those people, i don't know those people. i think it was her campaign that did it. if you look at what came out today on the clips, what happened with my rally in chicago and other rallies where we had such violence. they hired people, paid them $1500 and they're saying be violent, cause fights, did bad things. and those stories are all made up. i didn't even apologize to my wife because i didn't do it. these women, the woman on the plane, the woman -- i think they want fame. i think it's her campaign. what i saw what they did, which is a criminal act by the way, where they're telling people to
6:54 pm
go out and start fistfights and violence, and i'll tell you what in particular in chicago people were hurt and people could have now it's all on tape started by her. i believe, chris, that she got these people to step forward. if it wasn't, it was for 10 minutes of fame. it's all fiction, lies and fiction. >> well, at the last debate, we heard donald talking about what he did to women. and after that a number of women have come forward saying that is exactly what he did to them. what was his response? he held a number of big rallies where he said he could not possibly have done those things to those women because they were not attractive enough for -- >> i did not say that. i did not say that. >> in fact he went on to say --
6:55 pm
>> her two minutes, sir. >> i did not say that. >> he went on to say "look at her, i don't think so." about another woman he said "that would not be my first choice." he called the reporter "disgusting." he thinks be littling women makes him bigger. he goes after their dignity, their self worth, and i don't think there is a woman anywhere that doesn't know what that feels like. so we know how he thinks, acts, and what he says towards women. that's who donald is. i think it is up to all of us to demonstrate who we are. and who our country is. and to stand up and be very clear about what we expect from our next president.
6:56 pm
how we want to bring our country together, where we don't want to have the kind of pitting of people -- one against the other. where instead we celebrate diversity, lift people up, and make our country even greater. america is great because america is good. and it really is up to all of us to make that true now and in the future and particularly for our children and our grandchildren. >> mr. trump -- >> nobody has more respect for rim than i do. nobody. nobody. >> please, everybody. >> frankly, the stories have been largely debunked and i really want to just talk about something slightly different. she mentions this, which is all fiction, all fictionalized. probably or possibly started by her and her sleazy campaign.
6:57 pm
what happen is not fixctionalizd where she criminally destroyed 33,000 e-mails after getting a subpoena from the united states congress. what happened in the fbi? i don't know. we have a great four-star general today, you read it in all of the papers, going to potentially serve five years in jail for lying to the fbi. one lie. she lied hundreds of times to the people, to congress, and to the fbi. he is going to probably go to jail. this is a four-star general. she gets away from it and she can run for the presidency of the united states? that is really what you should be talking about. not fiction. where someone wants fame or whether they come out of her crooked campaign. >> every time donald is pushed on something that is obviously
6:58 pm
uncomfortable, like what these women are saying, he immediately goes to denying responsibility. and it is not just about women. he never apologizes or says he is sorry for anything. so we know what he has said, what he has done to women, but he also went after a disabled reporter. mocked and mimicked him on national television. >> wrong. >> he went after mr. and mrs. kahn, the parents of a young man that died serving our country. a gold star family, because of their religion. he went after john mccain, a prisoner of war, saying he prefers people who are not captured. he went after a federal judge, born in indiana, but who donald said could not be trusted to try the fraud and racketeering case against trump university because his parents were mexican.
6:59 pm
it was not one thing, it is a pattern of divisiveness of a dark and dangerous vision of our country where he insights violence. he applauds people pushing and pulling and punching at his rallies. that is not who america is. and i hope that as we move in the last weeks of this campaign, more and more people will understand what is at stake in this election. it really does come down to what kind of country we're going to have. >> so sad when she talks about violence at my rallies and she caused the violence. it's on tape. the other things are false, but i would love to talk about getting rid of isis and talk about other things, but the other charges as she knows -- >> in this talk about fitness to be president, there has been a lot of developments in the last ten days about the debate, i
7:00 pm
would like to ask you some of them. secretary clinton, you promised to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest in your dealing with the clinton foundation as siecretary state. the e-mails show that donors got special access to you. donors to haty were considered sfratly from nondonors, and some got government contracts and taxpayer money. can you say you kept your pledge? and what went on between you and the clinton foundation. why is it not what mr. trump calls "pay to play." >> everything i did as secretary of state was to further our country's values. i'm happy and thrilled to talk about the clinton foundation. it is a world renowned charity and i'm so proud of the work it does.
7:01 pm
i could talk for the rest of the debate, i know i don't have the time to do that, but just briefly, the clinton foundation made it possible for 11 million people around the world with hiv-aids to get treatment. that's about half of the people in the world that need treatment. we made environments and schools healthier -- >> with respect, this is a open discussion. with regard to the pay for play do you want to -- >> but there is a lot of evidence about the very good work and the high rankings that the -- the clinton foundation got for their -- >> saudi arabia giving $25 million, qatar, women and women's right. they push gays off buildings. people that kill women and treat women horribly, and yet you take
7:02 pm
their money. so i would like to ask you right now, why don't you give back the money that you have taken from certain countries that treat certain groups of people so horribly. why don't you give back the money? she takes a tremendous amount of money, you look at the people of haiti, i was in little haiti the other day in florida, they hate the clintons. because what happened in haiti is a disgrace. they know it, you know it, everybody knows it. >> we spent 90% of all of the money that is donated on behalf of programs of people around the world and in our own country. i'm very proud of that. we have the highest rating from the watchdog that follow foundations, and i would be happy to compare what we do with
7:03 pm
the trump foundation. a six foot portrait of donald, who does that? earthquake, the hurricanes that devastates haiti, we have been involved in trieding to help haiti for many years, the foundation raised $30 million to help haiti after the catastrophic earthquake and all of the terrible problems the people there have had. we have helped small businesses, agriculture, and so much else and we will keep working to help haiti. >> they don't want you to help them any more. >> i would like to mention one thing. >> the trump foundation, a small foundation. people contribute, i contribute, 100% goes to different charities including a lot of military. i don't buy boats, planes, what happens -- the money -- >> wasn't some of the money used to settle your lawsuit? >> no, we put up the american
7:04 pm
flag and that's it. we fought for the right -- >> there was a penalty imposed by palm beach county -- >> there was, and by the way the money -- >> the money for the fisher house where they build houses, the money that you're talking about, went to fisher wlous t e where they build houses for veterans -- >> there's no way we can know if that is true because he has not released tax returns. the first person to run for president in 40 plus years to not release his returns. anything he says about charity or anything else we can't prove it. look at our tax returns, they're all out there, but what is really troubling is that we learned in the last debate he has not paid a penny in federal income tax. and we're talking about immigrants a few minutes ago, chris. half of all undocumented immigrants in our country pay
7:05 pm
federal income tax. we have undocumented immigrants in america paying more federal income tax than a billionaire. that is astonishing. >> we're entitled because of the laws that people like her pass to make massive amounts of depreciation on other charges and we do it. i know buffett took hundreds of millions of dollars, george sorros took hundreds of millions -- most of her donors have done the same thing as i do. >> folks, we heard this -- >> you know what you should have done, hillary? you should have changed the law when you were a united states senator. because your donors and your special interests are doing the same thing i do but even more so. you should have changed the law but you won't because you take in so much money. i sat in my apartment today, on a very beautiful hotel down the street -- >> made with chinese steel. >> i sat there watching ad after
7:06 pm
ad after ad. false ad. all paid for by your friends on wall street that gave so much money because they know you're going to protect them and frankly, you should have changed the law -- if you don't like what i did you should have changed the law. >> mr. trump, i want to ask you one more question about this topic. you have been warning that the election is rigged and that hillary clinton is in the process of trying to steal it from you. your running mate, governor pence pledged that he and you will absolutely accept the result of this election today. today your daughter ivanka said the same thing. i want to ask you, do you make the same commitment, sir, that you will absolutely accept the result of the election. >> i will look at it at the time. i'm not looking at anything now, i'm look at it at the time. what i have seen is so bad.
7:07 pm
first of all, the media is so dishonest and corrupt. the pile on is so amazing. the "new york times" wrote an article about if but they don't even care. it's so dishonest and they have poisoned the mind of the voters. i think the voters are going to see through it. we'll find out but i think they're going to see through it. excuse me, chris. if you look at your voting rolls, you'll see millions of people registered to vote. millions. this is not coming from me, it's coming from peer report and other places. millions of people registered to vote that should not be. let me give you one other thing. i talk about the corrupt media, the millions of people, one other thing. she should not be allowed to run. it's crooked. she is guilty of a very, very serious crime. she should not be allowed to run. and just in that respect i say it's rigged.
7:08 pm
because she should never have been allowed to run for the presidency based on what she did with e-mails and so many other things. >> but sir, there is a tradition in this country, one of the prides of this country, the peaceful transition of power and that no matter how hard fought a campaign is that at the end of the campaign that the loser concedes to the winner, not saying you're necessarily going to be the loser or the winner, but the loser concedes to the winner and the country comes together in part for the good of the country. are you saying you're not prepared -- >> i'm saying that i will tell you at the time. i'll keep you in suspense. >> chris, let me respond to that because that is horrifying. every time donald thinks things are not going in his direction. he claims whatever it is is rigged against him. the fbi did a year long investigation into my e-mails, they concluded there was no case, he said the fbi was rigged.
7:09 pm
he lost the iowa caucus, the wisconsin primary, he said the republican primary was rigged against him. then, trump university gets sued for fraud and racketeering and he claims the court system and the federal judge is rigged against him. there was even a time when he didn't get an emmy for his tv program three years in a row and he tweeted it was rigged -- >> should have gotten it. >> this is a mind-set how donald thinks. it's funny but also really troubling. it's not the way our democracy works. we have been around 240 years, free and fair elections, we accepted the outcomes when we may not have liked them, and that is what must be accepted of anyone standing on a debate stage during a general election. president obama said the other day when you're whining before it is even -- >> hold on, folks -- >> it just shows you're not up
7:10 pm
to doing the job. let's be clear about what he is saying and what that means. he is denigrating, he is talking down our democracy, and i, for one, am appalled that someone who is the nominee of one of our two major parties would take that kind of position. >> i think what the fbi did and what the department of justice did, including meeting with her husband, the attorney general, in the back of an airplane on the tarmac in arizona, i think it is disgraceful. i think it is a disgrace. i think we never had a situation -- >> hold on, folks. it does no good for anyone. let's continue the debate and move on to the subject of foreign hot spots. the iraqi offensive to take back mosul has begun. if they are successful in pushing isis out of that city, out of all of iraq, the question then becomes what happens the day after? that is something that which ever you ends up as president
7:11 pm
will have to confront. will you put u.s. troops into that vacuum to make sure that isis doesn't come back or is not replaced by something even worse? secretary clinton, you go first in this segment, you have 2:00. i am encouraged that there is an effort lead by the iraqi army, supported by kurdish forcesrjm!85/ given the help an advice from this number of special forces and other americans on the ground. i will not support putting american soldiers into iraq as an occupying force. i don't think that is in our interest and i don't think that would be smart to do. chris, i think that would be a big red flag waving for isis to reconstitute itself. the goal here is to take back mosul. it will be a hard fight. i have no allusions about that. and continue to press into syria
7:12 pm
to begin to take back and move on raqqah, the isis head quarters. i'm hopeful the hard work that the military advisors have done will pay off and that we will see a really successful military operation. but we know that we have lots of work to do. syria will a hot bed of terrorism as long as the civil war aided and abetted by the ie rainians and russians continues. we have to keep our eye on them. we have to go after them on the ground, in the air, and online. we have to make sure terrorists cannot buy weapons here at home. if you're too dangerous too fly you're too dangerous to buy weapons. and i will continue to push for a safe zone to protect the syrians and prevent the constant
7:13 pm
outflow of refugees and to gain leverage so that perhaps we can have the kind of serious negotiations necessary to bring the conflict to an end and go forward on a political track. >> mr. trump, if we are able to push isis out of mosul and out of iraq, would you will being to put u.s. troops in there to prevent their return or something else. >> mosul is so sad, we had mosul. when she left and took everyone out, we lost mosul. now we're fighting again to get mosul. they wanted to get the leaders of isis. about three months ago i started reading they want to get the leaders and they're going to attack mosul. whatever happened to the element of surprise? okay? we announce we're going after mosul.
7:14 pm
i have been reading that we're going after mosul for three months. they all left. the element of surprise. douglas mcarthur, george patton, spinning in their graves because of the stupidity of our country. all she had to do is stay there. now we're going in again. you know who the big winner in mosul will be, and the reason that did it is because she is running for the office of president and they want to look good and tough, violating the red line in the sand and made so many mistakes. all of the mistakes, that's why we have the great migration. but she ped to look good for the election. who will get mosul? we'll take mosul eventually. if you look at what is happening, much tougher than they thought, more dangerous, more deaths than they thought. the leaders we wanted to get are all gone. they're smart, what do we need this for? so mosul is going to be a
7:15 pm
wonderful thing and iran should write us a letter of thank you. the stupidest deal of all time. a deal that will give iran absolutely nuclear weapons. they should write us yet again another letter saying thank you very much. iran as i said many years ago, iran is taking over iraq. so we're now going to take mosul and you know who will be the beneficiary? iran? i mean they are outsmarting -- look, you're not there, you might be involved in that decision, but you were there when you took everyone out of mosul and out of iraq. you should not have been in iraq. you should not have voted for it, once you were in iraq you should never have left the way -- >> your 2:00 are up. >> the winner will be iraq. >> once again, donald is implying he didn't support the invasion of iraq. i said it was a mistake.
7:16 pm
i said that years ago. he consistently has denied what is a very clear fact that before the invasion he supported it. and you know, i just want everybody to go google it. google trump iraq and you will see the dozens of sources that verify he was for the invasion of iraq. and you can hear the audio of him saying that. >> wrong. >> why does that matter? it matters because he has not told the truth about that position. i guess he believes it makes him look better now to contrast with me because i did vote for it. but what is really important here is to understand all of the interplay. mosul is a sunni city on the border of syria, and yes, we do need to go after baghdadi just like we did bin laden. and we brought him to justice. we need to go after the
7:17 pm
leadership, but we need to get rid of them, get rid of their fighters in mosul. they have been digging under ground, they are prepared to defend, it will be tough fighting, but i think we can take back mosul and then tack back raqqah. i'm just amazed that he seems to think the iraqi government and our allies and everyone launched the attack on mosul to help me in the election. >> because we don't gain anything. iran is taking over iraq. >> secretary clinton -- >> iran is taking over iraq. >> secretary clinton. >> wait wait wait. it is an open discussion. >> secretary clinton -- >> he is unfit and he proved it every time. >> you are the one unfit. wikileaks just came out jon
7:18 pm
podesta said some horrible things about you and boy was he right. and bernie sanders said you have bad judgment and you do. if you think that going into mosul after we let the world know that we're going in and all of the people we really wanted, the leaders, they're all gone. john podesta said you have terrible instincts, bernie sanders said you have bad judgment, and i agree with both. >> ask bernie who he is supporting for president, he said you're the most dangerous person to run for president in the modern history of america and i think he is right. >> let's turn to aleppo. mr. trump in the last debate you were both asked about the situation in the syrian city of aleppo and i want to follow up on that because you said that several things in that debate which were not true, sir. you said that aleppo has
7:19 pm
basically fallen, and there are a quarter of -- >> it's a catastrophe. >> so it has not fallen, take a look at it. >> 11 million people are there being slaughtered. >> and they're being slaughtered because of bad decisions. >> let me finish, you said that isis, syria, and russia are busy fighting isis when they have been bombing and shelling eastern aleppo and they just announced a humanitarian pause. would you like to clear it up? >> aleppo is a disaster. it has fallen from any standpoint. you need a signed document? it's so sad. a lot of this is because of hillary clinton. because what happened is by
7:20 pm
fighting assad who turned out to be tougher than she thought, and now she says oh, he loves assad, and everyone said two or three years ago he aligned with russia. and now he is also aligned with iran. we made them very powerful. we give them $1.7 billion in cash. cash, bundles of cash as big as this stage. we gave them $1.7 billion. now they have aligned with russia and iran. they don't want isis but they have other things because we're backing rebels. we don't know who the rebels are. we're giving them lots of money, lots of everything, we don't know who the rebels are. and when and if -- it's not going to happen because you have russia an iran, but if they ever
7:21 pm
did overthrow assad, he is a bad guy. you may end up with worse than assad. if she did nothing we would be in better shape. and this is what caused the great migration. she is taking in tens of thousands of syrian refugees who probably, in many cases, who are definitely, in many cases, isis aligned and we now have them in our country, and wait until you see -- a great trojan horse. lots of luck hillary, thanks for doing a great job. >> secretary clinton, you said in the last debate that you would impose a no fly zone to protect the people of aleppo. president obama refused to do that because he fears it draws us deeper into the conflict and
7:22 pm
general joseph dunford says if you have a no fly zone chances are you will get into a war with syria and russia. the question that i have is if you imply a no fly zone, first how do you respond to their concerns and second, if you impose a no fly zone and a russian plane violates that, does the u.s. shoot that plane down? >> i think it could save lives and hasten the end of the conflict. i'm well aware of the very legitimate concerns you have expressed from the president and the generals. it would not be done just on the first day. it would take a lot of negotiation and it would take making it clear to the russians and the syrians that our purpose here was to provide safe zones on the ground. we have had millions of people leave syria. and those millions of people inside syria have been dislocated. i think we could strike a deal and make it very clear to the
7:23 pm
russians and the syrians that this was something that we believe was in the best interest of the people on the ground in syria. it would help us with our fight against isis. but i want to respond to what donald said about refugees, i'm not going to let anyone in the country that is not vetted. that we don't have confidence in, but i'm not going to slam on door on women and children. the picture of that 4-year-old boy in aleppo with the blood coming down his face while he was in an ambulance is haunting. so we will do careful and thorough vetting. that does not solve our internal challenges with isis and our need to stop radicalization. and working with muslim communities on the front line to identify attacks. in fact the killer of the dozens of people at the nightclub in orlando, the pulse nightclub, was born in queens, the same
7:24 pm
place that donald was born. let's be clear about what the threat is and how we're best able to meet it. yes some of that threat emanates from iraq. and some of it is that we have to up our game and be smarter here at home. >> it is so ridiculous, she will defeat isis? we should never have let isis happen in the first place and they're in 32 countries. wait one second, they have, a cease fire three weeks ago. a cease fire between united states, russia, syria. during the cease fire, russia took over vast swatches of land and then said we don't want the cease fire any more. we're so outplayed on missiles and cease fires, she wasn't there, our country is so outplayed by putin, assad, and by the way, by iran.
7:25 pm
no one can believe how stupid our leadership is. >> mr. trump -- secretary clinton, we need to move on to our final segment, the national debt that has not been discussed until tonight. our national debt is a share of the economy, our gdp is now 77%. the highest since just after world war ii. but a nonpartisan committee says secretary clinton under your plan, debt would rise to 86% of gdp in the next ten years. mr. trump in your plan they say 105% of gdp in the next ten years. why are both of you ignoring this problem? >> they're wrong. i'm going to create tremendous jobs. we're bringing gdp from really 1% which is what it is now, and if she got in now it is less than zero. from 1% up to 4% and i think we
7:26 pm
can even go higher. i think you can go to 5% or 6%. you don't have to bother asking the question. we have a tremendous machine. we will have created a tremendous economic machine once again. to do that we're taking back jobs. we're not going to let our countries be raided by other countries. we don't lose our jobs, we don't make our product any more, it's very sad. i'm going to create the kind of a country that we were from the standpoint of industry. we used to be there, we have given it up. we have become very, very sl sloppy. we have people who are political hacks, these trade deals are far bigger than these companies. and we don't use our great leaders. many of whom back me and whom back hillary. we don't use those people. these are the greatest negotiators in the world. the greatest business people in the world.
7:27 pm
we have to use them to negotiate our trade deals. we have political hacks. people who got the position because they made a campaign contribution and they're dealing with china and people that are very much smarter than they are. we have to use our great people. but with that being said, we will create an economic machine, the likes of which we have not seen in many decades. and people, chris, will again go back to work. they will make a lot of money, they have companies that will grow, expand, and start from new. >> first, when i hear donald talk like that and his slogan is make america great again, i wonder when he thought america was great. before he rushes and says before you and president obama were there, i think it is important to recognize that he has been criticizing our government for decades. back in 1987, he took out a
7:28 pm
$100,000 add in the "new york times" during the time when president reagan was president, and basically said exactly what he just said now. we were the laughing stock of the world. he was criticizing president reagan. this is the way that donald thinks about himself. puts himself into the middle and says i alone can fix it, as he said on the convention stage. if you look at the debt, the issue you asked about, chris, i pay for everything that i proposing. do i not add a penny to the national debt. i take that very seriously. because i do think it is one of the issues that we have to come to grips with. so when i talk about how we're going to pay for education, how we're going to invest in infrastructure, how we're going to get the cost of prescription drugs down and other issues people talk to me about all of the time, i made it very clear that we're going where the money
7:29 pm
is. we're going to ask the wealthy and corporations to pay their fair share. there is no evidence whatsoever that will slow down or diminish our growth. in fact i think just the opposite. we'll have a middle out growth. we have to get back to rebuilding the middle class. the families of america. that's where growth will come from. i want to invest in you, in the family, and i think it is the smartest way to grow the economy, make the economy fairer, and we have a big disagreement about this. he started off with his dad as a millionaire, my dad was a small businessman. >> we heard this before. >> i think it is a different that affects how we see the world and what we want to do with the economy. >> can i just respond? >> i disagreed very strongly with ronald reagan on trade. i have been waiting for years.
7:30 pm
frankly now we're going to do it right. >> one last year i want to get into with you is the fact that the biggest driver of our debt is entitlements. 60% of all federal spending. now the committee for federal responsible budget looked at the plans and they say neither of you has a serious plan that will solve the fact that medicare will run out of money in the 2020s. social security will run out of money in the 2030s, and at that time, recipients will take huge cuts from their benefits. what i want to ask you in this regard is would president trump make a deal to save medicaid, social security, and a grand bargain on entitlements. >> it will totally help you. one thing we have to do, repeal
7:31 pm
and replace the disaster known as obama care. it's destroying our country, our businesses, our small business, and our big businesses. we have to repeal and replace obama care. you take a look at the kind of numbers that that will cost us in the year 17 it is a disaster if we don't repeal and replace. it will troubprobably die of itn weight. the premiums are going up 60% to 80%. next year over 100%. i'm glad the premiums have started, people are seeing what is happening, she wants to keep obama care and make it worse and it can't get any worse. bad health care at the most expensive price. we have to repeal and replace obama care. secretary clinton, same question because at this point social security and medicare are going to run out of money.
7:32 pm
will you as president, will you consider a grand bargain, a deal, that includes tax increases and benefit cuts to try to save both programs. >> i'm on record assaying we need to put more money in health care department. my social security payroll contribution will go up as will donalds assuming he can't figure out how to get out of it. what we want to do is replenish -- such a nasty woman. >> we have to make sure we have sufficient resources from raising the cap or finding other ways to get money into it. i will not cut benefits. i want to enhance benefits for low income workers and who have been disadvantaged by the system. but what donald is proposing will result in a $20 trillion
7:33 pm
additional national debt. that will have dire consequences. and i will say something about the affordable care act. it extended the solvency of the medicare trust fund. so if he repeals it, the medicare problem gets worse. the long-term health care dri drivers. costs down, increase value, emphasize wellness, i have a plan for doing that and i think we can get entitlement spending under control by more resources and smarter decisions. >> this is the final time for both of your delight that you will be on stage together in this campaign. i would like to end it on a positive note. you have not agreed to closing statements, but it seems to be in a funny way that might make it more interesting because you have not prepared closing statements. we're going to put a clock up, a
7:34 pm
final question and debate to tell the american people why they should elect you to be the next president, secretary clinton, it's your turn to go first. >> i would like to say to everyone watching tonight that i'm reaching out to all americans. democrats, republicans, and independents. we need everybody to help make our country what it should be to grow the economy, to make it fairer, to make it work for everyone. we need your talent, your skill, your energy, your ambition. i have been privileged to see the presidency up close. and i know the awesome responsibility of protecting our country and the incredible opportunity of working to try to make life better for all of you. i have made the cause of children and families my life's work i will stand up for families against powerful interests, against corporations, i will do everything that i can to make sure that you have good
7:35 pm
jobs with rising incomes that your kids have good educations from pre school to college. i hope you will give me a chance to serve as your president. >> secretary clinton, thank you. >> she is raising the money from the people she wants to control, it doesn't work that way. when i started this campaign i started it very strongly. it's called make america great again. we're going to make america great. we have a depleted military, it has to be helped, has to be fixed. the greatest people on earth in our military. we don't take care of veterans. our policemen and women are disrespected. we need law and order, but we need justice, too. our inner cities are a disaster. you get shot working to the store, they have no education, they have no jobs. i will do more for african-americans and latinos she could ever do in ten lifetimes.
7:36 pm
all she has done is talk to the african-americans and to the latinos. they get the vote. they say we'll see you in four years. we're going to make america strong again. we'll make america great again, and it has to start now. we cannot take four more years of barack obama and that is what you get when you get her. >> thank you, both. secretary clinton, hold on just a moment, folks, secretary clinton, mr. trump, i want to thank you both for participating in all three of the debates. this brings to an end the final debate. we want to thank the university of nevada las vegas, and now the decision is up to you. november 8th is just 20 days away, and one thing everyone here can agree on, we hope, is that you will go vote. it is an honor and obligation of
7:37 pm
living in this great country. thank you and good night. the last, final debate of this election season. donald trump and hillary clinton there on stage with chris wallace. host of fox news sunday. a fiery debate throughout. this time focusing a lot, much more like a traditional republican debate on policy issues. donald trump probably having the best 30 minutes that he has had on policy and making his argument the best he can. all three debates hitting hard on a number of the issues that we talked about going in. if you're a hillary clinton fan, you say she came to this debate well prepared. with lines ready to go. if you don't like hillary clinton, you say she sounded rehearsed. and the back and forth there with the clinton foundation, something that had not been asked about in the previous
7:38 pm
debates, she seemed not to answer the question about pay to play. that was posed a couple times by chris wallace. overall is it enough for donald trump to move the needle? has he talked to enough people to move the ball in this election that is heading her way. she phrased a lot of her answers to women, minorities, lbgt, she hit the areas she needed to hit. >> and donald trump obviously in a stronger position in terms of that 90 minutes. it was like he had a crescendo, starting off rocky, getting stronger, and tonight was easily his best performance. bringing up the e-mails, staying on the foundation, throwing back in her face the disclosures from the last few dates about project
7:39 pm
veratas. he did draw open laughs in the room when he said he respects women, and then he closed the debate out by muttering "such a nasty woman" which got a lot of attention on social media. the number one most discussed issue was donald trump's unwillingness to accept the legitimacy of the results of the election. refusing to go so far as so say i'll accept them. saying i'll wait and see. that was an online equivalent of a jaw drop among many republicans even as trouble that he didn't need to stir up for himself and to take away from what was otherwise a fairly solid debate performance. >> considering that governor pence said the opposite and so did ivanka trump. chris wallace a different type of moderator who kept the train
7:40 pm
on the tracks. he got in, he was not a potted plant throughout this debate as he promised he would not be, but the questions ranging on a host of policy issues. >> i would say that's how it is done. he did great. i want to bring in our panel. brit, your thoughts? >> i think there are two things that happened in the debate. one is the performance that you put in in the debate itself. the second is how you come out in the coverage there after. part of that is the analysis and what people say about it and part of it is what makes the headline. the headline from this debate is the refusal to accept the results of the election. that doesn't happen in america. it's news worthy, it's controversial, it is a big deal. and so the question is that something that will help him? i doubt it. i agree this is his best
7:41 pm
performance to date. he scored point after point after point on her. she was not rattled by it, she did fine in her own right but there was nothing spectacular about her performance, but there didn't need to be, he needed to pull something off, and even if he did i think he stepped on it by refusing to say he would accept the results. >> debates are less than policy nuance than they are about style, tone, the occasional zinger and showing the ability to think on your feet. i think they both went into the debate with certain missions. donald trump was to project a sense of calm, level headedness, rationality, and he showed that in his tone tonight. he want today show he was a safe choice. he also needed to reassure irresponsible leadership. and i think he accomplished his
7:42 pm
mission. mrs. clinton, she has to reassure on core confidence, and i think she probably delivers on that as well. >> i can't get over not accepting the results of an election. i remember what happened between gore and bush. and it is very difficult for the whole country, specifically for democrats who thought that al gore got more votes than george w. bush, but accepted the results for the good of our country. >> in the end -- >> no, it was over, but it was accepted and president bush's authority was never called into question. >> i don't think so. he was called illegitimate for years. >> he was our president, my president, when you say that you will think about it, to me that is a show stopper.
7:43 pm
i don't know how you get past that. it's not in our american tradition. that's not the way we play politics. >> we should point out that donald trump is leaving and we're getting word that he is not going to the spin room as he has done previously. he is leaving the hall. >> and just for the record, al gore after the legal challenge was resolved did not challenge the legitimacy of the president. i thought you were saying democrats which is not true. >> al gore was the democrat, the opponent, but to move on i think that when we look at this to come to the point about his performance, when it came to the foundation issue, there was issues he pointed out that hillary clinton had to pivot quickly away from what he was saying because she was on unsteady ground. when he came back to the issue of rigging, and you know this election is rigged, and he was pushed by chris wallace and mrs.
7:44 pm
clinton, he found himself in a corner and she said that's a pattern of his behavior. he has a dark vision where everything is rigged. and he joked "should have won it." i just think again it reveals to the viewer that donald trump has a certain vision, and i'm not sure that what came across was someone who was presidential. that was a high, necessary bar for him to meet tonight. >> i agree he had a first strong 30 minutes, but i don't think that's enough. on the economy, where he could have played the most offense, he went on tangents that had nothing do with the question at hand and his particular strength. i thought it was good when he talked about the campaign trail for the past year and that it moved him, that is something -- that is grace and humility that we were talking about before the debate started. hillary clinton knew exactly who she was talking to especially on issues of the supreme court,
7:45 pm
guns, abortion, immigration, and nuclear weapons. at the very end of the debate, a fine debate for him. not stellar. he will not win any awards for it. but when he whispered "what a nasty woman" that is another headline you don't need. >> he attacks women, disparages them -- >> and again tonight he did a better job scoring points on her than he did making the case for him. i think what would have helped him immensely is when he laid out a vision of his own program and spoken out with some vision and force. >> we're going to the spin room, sorry. >> confirming facts that have been published by the "new york times." this woman lied repeatedly to the fbi and others, to the benghazi family and others. i thought he took the case to her and had her off balance. i thought the debay showed
7:46 pm
people that there is experience and bad experience. tonight she was held accountable for decades long of missteps, miscalculations, or outright failures. >> you have seen the polling, you watch it every day. you have seen it move away from you for the past two weeks, do you think tonight that stops? >> if people were paying attention, and the journalist the privately telling me in my texts and e-mails that hillary clinton seems off and that it was donald trump's best debate, if they put that in print and radio and tv, and they're the ones conveying the message to americans who maybe did not see it firsthand, then yes. >> you said he would prosecute at last 30 years of hillary clinton. was that effective tonight and how were you telling him to go after here? was it less interruption? >> he was very effective tonight with more facts and figures. he was saying everything from look, we would be better off if
7:47 pm
you had not done anything in syria. the way you came out of iraq created the vacuum for the birth of isis. you said that you have been fighting for women and children for so many years, you have been there for 30 years and nothing has happened. and i thought every time he put hillary clinton on defense, it is a national indictment of wata happened in the eight years of obama. >> thank you kellyanne. >> she said earlier that she -- that donald trump will accept the results of the election because he will win the election. which is directly at odds with what her candidate said about ten minutes earlier. >> that will be a headline. >> i think if he wins he will accept them. >> let's be fair here, folks. >> fair and balanced. more to talk about including some of chris wallace's best moments from the night.
7:48 pm
>> our special coverage and special guests as well. she is playing chicken, look -- from everything i see, has no respect for this person. >> that is because he would rather have a puppet as president. >> no puppet. >> and it is pretty clear. >> you're the puppet. >> test test. >> test test. >> test test
7:49 pm
i am totally blind. i lost my sight in afghanistan. if you're totally blind, you may also be struggling with non-24. calling 844-844-2424. or visit my24info.com.
7:50 pm
. >> you can take the baby and rip the baby out of the womb of the mother just prior to the birth of the baby. now, you can say that that is okay. and hillary can say that that is okay. but it's not okay with me. because based on what she's saying and where she's going and where she's been, you can take
7:51 pm
the baby and rip the baby out of the womb in the ninth month. on the final day. and that is not acceptable. >> donald trump, on partial birth abortion. one of the first topics in the supreme court section. we're back with the panel. dana, at one moment donald trump said hillary, we've heard that before. it was almost a chris christie marco rubio. she said i'm not going to add a penny to the national debt. the national post said that is an exaggeration with her plan at best. it seemed like he was trying to say we've got it. we heard it. you're a robot. >> he went back to that line that was good for him about her having been in public, well, not office, but serving for 30 years and never having gotten anything done, however, she was prepared for it this time. she said this time, yeah, well
7:52 pm
here is there. he said you have experience but it's bad. and really it's probably a draw at the end of that discussion. >> this time around, she did not touch, set up for trump to speak to the women issue and hillary to speak to the new accuser today of bill clinton. she didn't touch it. >> for very good reason. she's vulnerable on this issue, too. i wish donald trump carried that question saying look, i have dealt with this issue and pivoted and said this country has serious problems, most of which has been created by you, the current president and your party. i am here to offer concrete solutions. >> what did you think of his decision? >> there are two models on this question. 1960, nixon versus kennedy, and the 2000 race we just discussed. having worked with president
7:53 pm
nixon, he was presented with credible evidence the kennedys and democrats rigged the election in chicago, west virginia and in texas. thanks to lyndon johnson. a lot of people told him to fight. he chose not to. because he said, as i just wish that donald trump had responded, the country is in the middle of a cold war. we have serious problems and this country needs a full-time president. i wish he had responded along those lines. >> were you surprised that the clinton foundation answer that hillary clinton gave? she pivoted with what the foundation does. >> there are two pivots i thought were highlights for trump tonight. one is on the foundation. you can see hillary clinton felt that hey, i'm not going there. that is slippery for her. the other is on open borders. when he cited information that came out of the wikileaks business where she was speaking before, i forget the name of the group, but for $250,000 and said
7:54 pm
she wanted open borders. she started saying something about an electric grid and quickly pivoted away. i think those were two good points for trump. i say say, hey, she looks like she's moving on the defensive. he was on the defensive if you think of this as las vegas, the final debate. someone has got to throw hey makers, donald trump needed the big punch to come in. he was on the defensive when asked about putin. all of a sudden, he's defending vladimir putin, who is very unpopular, republican or democrat in the country. and the next issue, women, he said these women were after 15 minutes of fame, or had been put up to it by hillary clinton's campaign. i just thought, again -- >> on that issue, but on the project on tape, he did make points. >> what about that? he went on about the women. and what he said is that they're liars, and that i didn't do
7:55 pm
anything. i didn't know these women. >> right. >> which is not true. that her campaign did it. it's fiction. she did it. they want fame. >> the question, megyn, in our poll yesterday, people were asked, poll came in yesterday. people were asked do you believe donald trump or do you believe the women? 51% believe the women. a quarter believe him. did anything he said tonight alter that? i don't think so. i think it's an issue, what he needs to do on that issue is to talk about it as little as possible. i don't think that his sense of himself will permit him to do that. so he engages on it. it doesn't help him. this is a problem he has had all along. he doesn't know the difference between issues that can help him, issues he should stay on, and issues that don't, he gets this back up, and then, next thing you know, he's chasing some rabbit. >> and in the same sense, i don't know them. one was a contestant on "the
7:56 pm
apprentice". one was a "people" magazine reporter that did a cover on him. >> the question is, what is going to move the ball? what is going to change the electoral map? did anything do that tonight? >> that is just the beginning. bret and i are going to be right back as we continue live from las vegas. jason miller will be with us, up next. want longer lasting heartburn relief? try...duo fusion duo fusion goes to work in seconds and lasts up to 12 hours. tums only lasts up to 3.
7:57 pm
for longer lasting relief...in one chewable tablet try duo fusion from the makers of zantac big day? ah, the usual. moved some new cars. hauled a bunch of steel. kept the supermarket shelves stocked. made sure everyone got their latest gadgets. what's up for the next shift? ah, nothing much. just keeping the lights on. (laugh) nice. doing the big things that move an economy.
7:58 pm
see you tomorrow, mac. see you tomorrow, sam. just another day at norfolk southern. >> insult women? >> it's all talk. >> bad judgment. >> issues not insults. >> she should be ashamed of herself. >> fox news channel up to the minute exit polls. breaking race results. from the best team in politics. it happens live. from our new video. only fox news channel has election night coverage because we're america's election
7:59 pm
headquarters. >> you're looking live at fox news election headquarters. >> very fancy. it's a state of the art studio in new york city. you'll have all of the cast of characters you've come to know. oof best of digital, all bells and whistles. >> there it is. >> floating megyn and bret. >> tonight, just a sneak peek. it's going to be fun. >> we're looking forward to showing that off for you. look at this. we're going to have everybody there. we're going to have everything covered for you. not only will we have the two of us, but chris wallace, brit hume, maybe updates on chris's chicken. >> look at brit, smirking at us
8:00 pm
already. >> there is carl cameron. >> we're excited to be there in just 20 days as we continue our coverage here from las vegas. stand by. >> fox news alert for you now. the third and final presidential debate is in the books and the debate went heavy on the issues and policy early on. the question, will it have any impact on the polls? what about accusations that this election is rigged? good evening, everybody. i'm megyn kelly. >> i'm bret baier. i was a fiery debate from the moment it started that hillary clinton and donald trump walked on the stage. body language was

110 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on