Skip to main content

tv   The Kelly File  FOX News  November 18, 2016 6:00pm-7:01pm PST

6:00 pm
that is it for us. and i'm in for bill o'reilly, and the spin stops here because we are looking out for you. breaking tonight, new questions about what comes next? in roughly 60 days our president-elect will be sworn in. for the first time in a decade, republicans will hold the house, the senate and the white house. and president trump will have a once in a lifetime chance to remake america. welcome to this kelly file special, and i'm megyn kelly and in special studio, i have a special thing to show you in a minute. quiet. i'm surprised. it was roughly a month ago when then candidate trump down in the polls and all but done in the assessment of many media outlets went to gettysburg to give a saturday speech and there he outlined a plan for his first 100 days in office with a focus on cleaning up washington and
6:01 pm
protecting american workers and what he called restoring the rule of law and rebuilding obama care and rebuilding a border wall and our infrastructure and his team said he is going to deliver. >> well i think he's going to execute his plan. he talked about the things he wants -- national security, immigration and the economy, 100-day plan working with the speaker and the leader of the u.s. senate, all of those things are really important. we have a mandate and the american people decided to put the republicans in control of the house, the senate and the white house and that means that we now need to execute the will of the american people. >> joining me now, dana loesch, host of dana, and mark thiessen, american institute scholar and guess who else is here. it is not just those two. wait for it. chris stirewalt or politics editor, along with -- brian kilmeade, co-host of fox and friends and julie roginsky and
6:02 pm
fox news contributor and all in our kelly file round table here tonight. so let's talk about first 100 days because this is big and he has a full agenda that almost nobody listened to because they thought he was going to lose. and there is is a lot packed in there. you take it first, what is the first order of business. >> well the first order of bis after he constitutes a government and which they are having to do and i don't think even they expected to win. i don't think they expected this coming down the pike and this explains the hurry-up offense on putting the government together. and once they get it done, he's made it clear. immigration and massive infrastructural spending and tax reform. and it looks like that is where they are going to tee it up. there is something for democrats in the big spending and something for republicans on tax reform and then on immigration, that is the cornerstone of his campaign. >> what about the spending going on infrastructure. because the republicans at their core really have objected to big government spending. that is been a black mark on
6:03 pm
george w. bush's legacy, mark. >> sure. >> can he get away with that. >> it is obama stimulus two but he campaigned on it. obama had $500 billion in unpaid shovel ready jobs and donald trump said we're going to have $500 billion -- he didn't say unshovel ready jobs but that is what it is. it is obama stimulus two. and i think paul ryan and the congressional republicans will push to get it paid for -- >> donald trump said growth and we're going to have growth and bring jobs back and create growth. >> and that will pair it with tax reform and so it will be a little bit different than obama stimulus but he wants to probably start out on a bipartisan note and do something that the democrats will get behind, a compromise. he is smart also to push ivanka trump's childcare initiative because that is something that -- >> you don't think he is making a -- >> you don't think they will go for that. >> another entitlement.
6:04 pm
>> that is another entitlement program. >> i think he will go for that. because to start with, he will repeal a lot of the obama agenda and a big fight about obama care and the congressional review act and there is 150 obama regulations on the chopping block ready to go and he will do that. executive orders gone, paris treaty, gone. >> and a single tear -- >> i'm getting excited. this is like a democrat getting elected. tell me more about stimulus. this is the best news i've heard because i don't think any democrat could get us through a paul ryan led house but i'm going to sit back and laugh and laugh when paul ryan with this fiscally intelligent paul ryan will sign off on efrpg you just talked about and i'm going to sit back and open up a glass of wine and laugh at the republicans that said this needs to be paid for and stimulus is a waste of time and this is going to look like george bush like the pyre of spending.
6:05 pm
>> and i'm going to laugh. >> and you know what i love about that -- the senate will confirm him just to get him out of the senate. john mccain voting him. >> and you enjoy that for a cool five minutes and then -- >> and then cruz i think is 45 years old, very young. >> and tell it to my nuclear bunker. >> and with the moisturizer, he will look -- >> and the reason why infrastructure will work first and i did watch two congressional leaders rationalize how they will spend it but it was something beyond growth and i didn't keep up with it, and the trillion dollars infrastructure and he will do it for this reason and think about trump and the most of the people that you walk around and didn't vote for and somehow he won, he will make deals with democrats and he's spoken to chuck schumer three times and if they want to repeal and replace obama care, they need 60 votes and they have 52 senators so how do they do. maybe he said, i will give you
6:06 pm
infrastructure spending. baby -- barack obama has left and the clintons have quit and now you have a chance to govern. so if you want to say vote me back and you have to cooperate and chuck schumer is a deal maker. i know he -- you got to keep an eye on him. but if you give me infrastructure, donald trump and i'll give you repeal and replace obama care and the first thing they do is a defense supplemental because we are starving to death, our equipment is falling apart, we need another 50,000 marines and bolster up the army and with the national security adviser where michael flynn, he will make sure of it. that is how we're going to do it. >> but that is going to be -- now you are talking about a lot of money. infrastructure spending. >> a lot of red meat given to the people who went out and were voting for trump. a lot of red meat policy and red meat, things need to be repealed. for instance, yes, repeal obama care. everyone says replace.
6:07 pm
replace it with what. why don't we just have instead, repeal obama care and let's let everybody be able to get something they could take, portability and have insurance companies be able to compete so people get lower prices. that, i would love that. >> but the problem is that trump wants to keep the pre-existing condition -- he wants to make sure that people with pre-existing conditions could still get insurance and they are taking high risk pools. and dr. zeke emanuel, he likes the original -- >> he is a wonderful conversational man. >> he is kind of growing on me. >> like mold. >> a lot of the economy -- >> great conversationalist. but no, i think if trump is able to throw a lot of red meat to the republican base to conservatives to voters, to conservatives, i think they will
6:08 pm
forgive him a couple of things because that is an extra trillion dollars in spending. i'm not saying i agree with it, but that is the mood of the country, well we were able to get all of this done. >> what he might do is say i'm not going to give you a trillion dollars, but i saw when barack obama when he gave everyone money they renewed the state workers and the shovel ready projects he admitted didn't happen and he's smart enough to know what obama did last time and who is building the hoover dam again and who is coming up with this canal. i want to know what the projects are you are spending on. >> but wait a minute. the basic story of the presidency and mark knows this, is not what you want to do, it is how you react to what happens. george w. bush was going to be a caretaker president with a bipartisan domestic agenda focused on issues like education and he was reading my pet goat and it changed the world and history. and his reaction to events was more important than his agenda
6:09 pm
coming in. and the presidency is an active office but you are the receiver of all of the bad news and of all of the things that happen. >> and you can't know what will happen underneath. but i want to get to the mother lode, if you will, which is immigration. ann coulter and laura ingram and mickey krause are expecting the immigration promised made to be fulfilled. >> and there is already a fight over wall or fence because apparently at some point there was made mention of well some of it will be a fence and people were thinking we wanted a wall. we didn't want a fence. >> he has already backed off of it. >> the fence. >> but that is not going to be the big problem. building a wall is not the big problem. the deportations -- >> that is not a problem. >> that is not a problem. >> i'm going to make a prediction here. donald trump is going to give the democrats their dream of comprehensive immigration reform. it is not comprehensive, but
6:10 pm
consequential but he said his plan is to -- they all have to go home but they could come back in an expedited fashion. >> a good one. >> and which is most of the 11 million. donald trump is for the legalization of almost all of the 11 million people who are here legally. he just said on 60 minutes, they are good people. but what he'll do is require them to go home, get a special visa and get np expedited return but he's going to do it in a way and then he'll have done -- he'll do the border security first and he'll have gotten that and the republican party will go along with it. >> hold on a second. you are saying that the people will self deport on the promise they will come back. >> yes. >> and i expect a wall built by mexico and i expect it and when you have gingrich coming out and saying this is a campaign device and he didn't mean it about mexico paying for it but there are people out there voting and chanting and build that wall and have mexico pay for it, you have to keep that promise.
6:11 pm
he'll have mexico pay for it. >> and they already backed off of it. >> they're going to pay for it and then -- >> we have to leave it there as scintillating as this is. and also tonight, the story of how the democrats may be about to seriously punish one of their own. and new details on just how bad 2016 turned out for the media. and then a closer look at the folks who gave mr. trump the white house. and what they may get in return. don't go away. [ sneezes ] i have a big meeting when we land, but i'm so stuffed up, i can't rest. nyquil cold and flu liquid gels don't unstuff your nose. they don't? alka-seltzer plus night liquid gels fights your worst cold symptoms. plus, unstuffs your nose. oh, what a relief it is.
6:12 pm
6:13 pm
6:14 pm
6:15 pm
we are going to put the miners and the factory workers and the steel workers back to work. we're bringing our companies back. >> that was donald trump appearing in scranton, pennsylvania, the day before he won that state in the presidential election. along with wis wis, michigan, ohio and other rust belt states where millions of the blue-collar works who had supported president obama twice, this time went for the republican. so are the concerns of those folks now driving the political agenda in this country?
6:16 pm
back with us now, dana loesch, mark thiessen, brian kilmeade and chris stirewalt and julie roginsky. are these the new power brothers of america. >> it is. and to me, we're going to start mining coal again. and it could be made in to oil and there are customers for coal has is that natural gas is booming and it is a competitor and if you could export coal to customers waiting for it as opposed to going elsewhere, these states will go to donald trump this time next time -- >> brian kilmeade, i love you like a brother -- >> here it comes -- >> -- but that is not how that goes. it is called liquid faction and it is not cost effective, because oil is real cheap, relatively speaking. the reason the coal industry has been in the can is because of environmental regulations --
6:17 pm
>> there you go. >> on the burning of coal to produce electricity. that is what it is for. we have all of this delicious, beautiful, gorgeous west virginia coal -- >> the finest in the world. that burns great and makes electricity. we used to make more than half of our electricity in our country and we've been shutting it down for windmills and other new energy. if you do a meet map of where the counties are that had the biggest switch from obama to trump, it is like gravity around the great lakes from buffalo around to milwaukee and the center of gravity around the great lakes and the former industrial communities, we are looking at counties that went 25 points. >> what is your point. >> my point is it ain't just about coal, it is about communities ravaged by opioid addiction and the schools are
6:18 pm
closing and churches are empty and people voted for obama because they wanted change and they voted for trump for the same reason. >> and what does that change look look for those folks. >> because i agree with everything that you said. it ihe book i wrote and june gets into why donald trump won the white working class blue-collar voter. some of it is coal and some is job and some is trade but these are individuals who -- my family, this is my family. this demo, all of my family are southern missouri and they aro dark voters and -- ozark voters and they all talk like this. this is how they live. but they are good people and they were tired of being abused by the democratic party. it is amazing that this is the demographic that bill clinton, that al gore and the democratic party of the 1990s, they relied upon these people. they exploited these people for votes. they used these people. and they paid them lip service. and here we are in 2016, how could we struggle to pay health
6:19 pm
care bills and put food on the table and you are telling me what pronoun to use and where my kids can go to the bathroom. that is not putting food on the table. this conversation about transgender everything and everything going on in the carolinas, none of that is putting food on the people's tables and they are done with it. >> and you've reached such a good point and i've done a lot of soul searching and the -- and i take full responsibility for this myself because i've been condescending, including democrats and including me, don't sit around worried about putting food on the table and i've talked about how great obama care is and how it is expanding opportunities for health care for people. but it is not taking a larger chunk out of my paycheck to the point where i have to decide whether to put food on the table or pay for health care. and people's stock is getting better but it is not getting
6:20 pm
better for the people you are talking about. and they are filling a narrative to the coastal elites and i take full responsibility for doing that as well. i did it for two years before i realized they are completely out of touch with exactly the people, chris, you talked about. >> we love you any way. the people of ohio love you any w way. >> thank you. i've never been there, but i love them back. >> but it was a rellpellent. >> and lena dunham and lady gaga, it is having the opposite affect. >> and these people were good enough to vote for the clintons but they are racist because they voted for trump. and they hear that message. that is what they heard over and over again. >> and they have the power in the voting booth. >> and they heard they are deplorable and cling to guns and god and for the last eight years barack obama has been telling them how unemployment is down to record levels but the problem is that the labor participation
6:21 pm
rate is so low because millions of people have left the work force because they gave up looking for jobs. when you are in the white house and writing speeches like i did for bush, what you say when you are the president has to comport about what is happening on the ground. in 2004, i could have said things about we're winning and people could see things blowing up on camera and when the surnl happened that people started to listen to those speeches. when the president speaks out and say the economy is getting better and you are sitting there and it is not comporting with your reality, you reject it. >> and just pointed out everything they want. donald trump is not zeus. he can -- he can't -- >> whoa, that is not what i've heard: [ laughter ] >> [ inaudible ]. >> you can't go ahead and get drugs away from your teenager or give you all raises or make your health care better or your
6:22 pm
doctors perform for adequately and make the surgery come out great but he could give you the opportunity to be successful. he has made it clear, i'm going to give you opportunity to make your lives better. and the job is to you have to do it yourself. and that is the opportunity. >> and one of the ways he said he is going to do that is he's going to take care of manufacturing. place tariffs on goods made outside of american companies outside of the borders and the reality of that, according to the economists, it will make things worst. >> i don't want to pay $5 for a cucumb cucumber. >> i don't want to lose the dollar stores. >> or the walmart. >> and if you have dropped out of the work force and he put the 45% tariff on goods coming from china, your prices in walmart just went up 45%. so what you are paying is going to go up. >> and in 2012, newt gingrich got in trouble when he said paul ryan's entitlement program and
6:23 pm
said right wing is no more attractive to voters than left wing and he got in trouble for saying it and he was right. >> that is why he got in trouble. he may be a trump whisperer and we'll see if he pushes him off this position. and see how the election meltdown is affecting college campuses. take a guess. and plus the media versus trump and this fight may just be getting started. stay tuned. >> oh, boy, see the dishonest people back there. the media. the totally dishonest. they are so dishonest.
6:24 pm
♪ p is for privileges. o is for ordinarily i wouldn't. l is for layers of luxury. a is for alll the way back. r is for read my mind. and i... can't see a thing. s... see you in the morning. polaris, from united. mapping the oceans. where we explore. protecting biodiversity. everywhere we work. defeating malaria. improving energy efficiency. developing more clean burning natural gas. my job? my job at exxonmobil? turning algae into biofuels. reducing energy poverty in the developing world. making cars go further with less. fueling the global economy. and you thought we just made the gas. ♪
6:25 pm
energy lives here. okay, google, show me korean restaurants in boulder. (google assistant) i found a few places. (vo) the new pixel, phone by google. exclusively at verizon. the only next gen network that lets you get the most out of it. how is this possible? (vo) because verizon lte advanced delivers 50% faster peak speeds in 450 cities, coast to coast. buy a pixel and get up to $400 back. and get 20 gigs of data with no surprise overages, and 4 lines for only $40 each. why settle when you can have it all on verizon?
6:26 pm
♪ it was always just a hobby. something you did for fun. until the day it became something much more. and that is why you invest. the best returns aren't just measured in dollars. td ameritrade.
6:27 pm
live from "america's news headquarters," i'm patricia stark, here is what is happening. a deputy shot and killed while trying to arrest a man with a history of targeting police. he had 26 years of service on the force. the suspect shot and killed by other officers. parts of the midwest digging out from the first major snowstorm of the season. whiteout gusts and 50 mile-per-hour winds felt in part of minnesota and the dakotas. foreign leaders arriving in peru for the apex summit. the president is on the way there right now. this is his final foreign trip as president. make your thanksgiving dinner bigger this year.
6:28 pm
the farm bureau association said a feast for a family of ten could be put on for roughly $50, down 24 cents from last year so spend more and eat up. and i'm patricia stark and now back to "the kelly file." >> all i could say is anybody from the democratic side of the fence who thinks that -- who is terrified of the possibility of president trump, you better vote, you better get active and get involved because this man has got some momentum. and we better be ready for the fact that he might be leading the republican ticket. >> i know you don't believe that but i want to go on. >>. [ laughter ] >> hysterical. >> in the history of not seeing it coming, there are a few moments quite like the 2016 white house campaign as you just saw. in fact, the one thing ever now seems to agree on, not only did the democrats lose big but much of the media also took a serious
6:29 pm
hit. that is where we pick it up with dana loesch, mark thiessen and chris stirewalt and brian kilmeade and julie roginsky. it wasn't just that they got it wrong. the pollsters said the one thing and that is what the media went with. it was the complete dismissal of him and his chances and the people who supported him right from the beginning. >> [ inaudible ] got 11,000 write in votes. >> har am be is? >> a gorilla. >> the gorilla in the zoo. >> had to. okay. that is your call. very controversial. >> we have a gorilla expert. >> i'm saying that democrats didn't take serious -- hillary clinton is an imperfect candidate and you know who else, every human being candidate. and she was more imperfect than others. but democrats felt they didn't have to vote. how did this happen in the upper
6:30 pm
middle west. the obama coalition didn't turn out in the big cities and the rural counties and small towns went 20 points from obama to trump and wiped out the strong hold and in the end trump broke even with suburban white voters and women who came his way as late breakers at the end of the campaign because they won because democrats felt they didn't need to vote to win -- >> and -- >> and that hurt her. >> and you are telling me that the media was alienating these people as well. >> and democrats didn't take trump seriously and didn't march to keep him out of office. >> and neither did the republicans. >> and there was something else going on here, the mainstream media was so horrified at the prospect of a trump presidency that they completely ignored the fact that hillary clinton was the most corrupt person to run for president in modern history. the exit poll -- >> this is republican fantasy.
6:31 pm
>> and the exit polls showed that 54% of voters said that hillary clinton was corrupt. more said she was dishonest. and 54% said they were corrupt and i think they were appalled the way the media were able to overlook the clinton foundation and the lies about the e-mails and let's do special favors for friends of bill and all of the stuff that they wanted to send a message to the country. >> and let's do a fact check on that. the mainstream media broke the story -- >> and got bored on it quick. >> and they ran it before anybody else broke that story. and if you ask the clinton people, barack obama got the freest ride back in 2008 and hillary clinton for 25 years, the media is more endowed and look at the mainstream media, they may hate her or hate donald trump more and think he is unhinged -- >> and talking about it in the final weeks because of wikileaks and they would have ignored it
6:32 pm
entirely -- >> [ overlapping speakers ] >> they had no choice, they had to kill harambe. [ laughter ] >> just to build on your point, it is like as if the parents were telling the kids what was going on and the kids were the voters. and when it became time to go in there and press the lever, they went in and did the right thing. they didn't need the siphon and the strainer of the parents which were the press to define what was happening. we -- america made their own decision by seeing both of the candidates. they saw one guy that is a little off the hook and clearly unorthodox and unconventional and saw somebody else that didn't mean one thing she was saying and couldn't put a crowd together of over 200 people and the audience made the decision without the press and marginalized the press that had two levels. the first press loved donald trump because they loved the ratings and after the nomination they hated him -- -- >> they turned. >> and he is still swinging. why is he still swinging and he
6:33 pm
is crazy. and people go i love a guy that will fight for me. maybe he is crazy enough to do something -- >> and he is not beholding to media. >> and i don't watch much except for our channel because it is just right but every time donald trump would have a press conference, you would have wall to wall press conference and everybody would worried what he would say and if she had a press conference -- >> a campaign event -- >> if she had a campaign event or he had a campaign event or if jeb bush had a campaign or marco rubio, we wouldn't go wall to wall. but we always discussed talking about the media, cable news would go wall to wall for trump. >> and we went wall to wall. >> and never had a press conference -- >> and it is absolutely true that we and others took trump press conferences -- campaign events, wall to wall, which we never would have done for another candidate because he was spectacular television. and very compelling. we on the kelly file did not
6:34 pm
because we said while it is crack cocaine and i read about and we needed to step away from the crack. had you to be responsible. don't cover donald trump. and scott walker campaign rally -- sorry mark. >> and stand by. also coming up, millennial voters and the road ahead. and plus is nancy pelosi going to find herself as collateral damage in the fight for the white house. that's next. >> well let me just say, as i said without even asking anybody for a vote, i have over two-thirds of the caucus supporting me. with nature's bounty hair, skin and nails you'll enjoy lustrous hair, vibrant skin,
6:35 pm
and healthy nails... so no matter what happens,... you'll still feel beautiful. nature's bounty hair, skin and nails. better off healthy. ♪ ♪ see ya next year. test. test. test. test. test. with$319 a month.ing at infiniti. empower the drive. oh caroline. so corporate put you up in a roadside motel. but with directv from at&t, you can download then binge watch your dvr'd shows from anywhere. that makes you more powerful than whatever it is you just stepped in. or that friendly dumpster diver outside.
6:36 pm
i wouldn't sit there. it's your tv, take it with you. now you can watch your dvr anywhere, at no extra cost, with directv from at&t. at red lobster's holiday seafood celebration nothing says "treat yourself" like any of these indulgent new dishes. so try the new grand seafood feast with tender shrimp, a decadent crab cake, and a lobster tail topped with white wine butter. or the new wild-caught lobster & shrimp trio crispy a, and a lobster tail with creamy lobster mac-and-cheese? you wanted a feast, you got it. feasts like these make the holidays the holidays, so come try one before it ends.
6:37 pm
the possibility of a flare was almost always on my mind. thinking about what to avoid, where to go... and how to deal with my uc. to me, that was normal. until i talked to my doctor. she told me that humira helps people like me
6:38 pm
get uc under control and keep it under control when certain medications haven't worked well enough. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. raise your expectations. ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, control is possible. it's the end of an era in washington. and while that sounds like a terrible cliche, think about this. president obama has just 60 days left in office. the clintons have been shown the
6:39 pm
door. senator harry reid is retiring and nancy pelosi is quickly losing her grip on power. it has been more than a decade since the blue party has been quite so out of power. back with us now, dana lash, mark thiessen and chris stirewalt and brian kilmeade and julie roginsky. julie, it is brutal what happened to the icons of the democratic party. you tell me whether the clintons are done and they are out -- >> could i tell you. no joke, i was at a dinner party who said, i think chelsea should run. and i said, are you kidding me? no she's capable and qualified. and i said qualified for what. so that depressing fact aside, yes, i think it is time for the clinton dynasty to go off into the sunset. i think bill clinton was a good president but it is time to go. we need some new blood. >> how about nancy pelosi. >> when you are a speaker, your a majority leader, you are able
6:40 pm
to give out a ton of goodies and money and help out a lot of campaigns and she's done that and all of the house members vote and personal relationships and what have you done for me lately. >> so she will stay in. >> i'm don't know the answer to that question but who could challenge her. i'm not sure it will happen. >> the democrats lost white working class voters in michigan, ohio and wisconsin and -- >> and let me tell you the debate going on in the democratic party and i don't have the answer to this but it is the debate, do we double down on the obama coalition and get more millennials to come out and try to get more african-americans to come out as they didn't this year so they try to get more latinos to vote democratic as they did not this year as they did for obama and focus on the obama coalition which is the growing demographic in this country or pivot to the white working class and try to address their needs. >> and that is the struggle. >> and other wise you lock away a house for generations. >> and nobody knows the answer
6:41 pm
for that question and the question is what is the demographic that is growing and what is growing is the former, not the latter. the follow up question -- >> you are talking about the millennials. >> and the minorities. and the follow-up question to that is donald trump promised the white working class a lot of goodies. the reality is i hate to break it, manufacturing is not coming back because technology has eradicated a lot of the jobs and when he doesn't deliver and say we gave you a shot -- >> but is that a chance that his four years in office will be the thing that does he. he said i could stand in the middle of fifth avenue and shoot somebody and they wouldn't leave me. and does that last through all four years because he didn't live up to his campaign promises. >> it depends on what campaign promises he breaks. it is hard to bring back those jobs. those jobs from mexico and china are not coming back. robots -- >> but so i mean it is really
6:42 pm
important that paul ryan and the republicans come up with a real agenda that could work to help those working class voters. because if the republicans -- because it is a team now. it is ryan and trump and everybody, if they can't deliver for the voters, it won't last. >> they have to see an effort and a program rather than just some money and talks and good speeches. they do have a good message. but like you said, they have to produce. i think i couple of things to happen. for the democrats, they have a problem. they did such a good job staying in line with whatever barack obama said and not one personality emerged. we know rand paul because he was brushing up against everybody and saying weird things on the cover of time magazine. >> very inappropriate. >> yes. very good point. and he was always in somebody's face. what was he saying the other day. >> and rudy giuliani. >> and what was he saying the other day. i don't want to see rudy giuliani -- and john bolt on
6:43 pm
either. and fine, what democrat stood up and spoke out against barack obama. >> well republicans did against george bush -- >> and so what happens is if you have no personality and keith allison has spoken up but he seems aggressive and angry. and terry mcauliffe had a smile on his face and had personality and a energy and the next person can't be keith ellison. he is angry about everything. >> and the party is angry. they are the angry -- >> wait a second, i'm angry. [ multiple speakers ] >> no, but not to interrupt you, democrats, i don't know who they have on the bench -- >> they don't have anybody. >> cory booker and the castro brothers who did the lindsay lohan parent trap and they switched and one went to a fundraiser and the other pretended to be a mayor -- but
6:44 pm
republicans have such an amazing opportunity but they have to explain to voters and do more than just appeal -- >> with parent trap, i got confused, i forgot who was the adult and the kid. i got so confused. >> it put her on the map and dennis quad was adorable. >> where is she. >> and still ahead, stories from 2016. and plus how the election is still rocking little cupcakes on the college campuses. don't go away. [ chanting ] is serious business. they also know you need to get your annual check-up. now with one touch using the mycigna app you can find a doctor in your plan's network to save money. need to be thorough.
6:45 pm
6:46 pm
6:47 pm
6:48 pm
ten days ago donald trump won the presidency of the united states. prompting emotional reaction nationwide. perhaps none greater than on the grounds of college campuses. students reactions ranged from protests to cry-ins. >> golly. >> back now with the panel. so wow, let me say this. in new york city, we've seen some of this. >> i've felt some. >> i've had woman come up to me openly on the street in tears and i think they just assumed that because i'm a woman and i'm -- and obviously since trump had some -- right, that i'm going to feel that way. i don't react as a journalist,
6:49 pm
but their pain is real. i will say that. and it is fun to diminish it, but it is real. and i don't know, is it extra this time than it was four years ago or eight years ago. >> the worst ever in our lifetime. we've never experienced anything like this. the professors and the high school teachers pushing it forward and bringing it out in people. and think that hillary clinton's hundreds of million dollars of dollars of negative ads have made donald trump worst than he could have made himself and made him into a cartoon character which is the evil personified. >> and he is the marmaduke and sitting somewhere and eating babies. >> and let me say those, because i didn't come up to you and i didn't run into you because i would have and i need a hug because i'm actually devastated in ways i was not when bush got elected, nor would i have been if romney got elected i fear for the future of our country who i feel is so unqualified to be
6:50 pm
president that i worry for my 4-year-old growing up on president trump. so that fear is real. so having said that to people on college campuses campuses having that are having sit-ins and protest, one, it would have been the election wa >> or maybe nice if you can't write in bernie sanders. or maybe if you mobilized instead of protesting a free and fair election, which is what we had. you can't protest something that was done freely, even if you don't like the outcome. mobilize and figure out how to get the house and senate back in two years and then trump out in four years. >> i don't diminish anybody's tears but what i object to is on the college campuses, cancelling classes. >> unbelievable. >> so people -- >> they did that. >> part of being in school is learning to function in the face ofup s upset. not to bring it back to my book again, however, i mean -- >> they have to settle things.
6:51 pm
>> when you get to your job, you have to function. when you get bad news, i got a lot over the course of my career as a lawyer, in particular. you think the judge will tell you, don't worry. you don't have to -- >> just have the day off. >> you have to function. >> you try being me and sitting live on national television on election night as donald trump is winning and having to keep a smile on your face. you're trying to sit there. >> i fear for my country when barack obama was elected and i was rise. we've seen the rise of isis and a lot of stuff. it was pretty bad. i didn't wear a safety pin or diaper pin on my lapel. i didn't go to a safe room. i didn't cancel class. no one gave me grief counseling. the one good thing is the next generation is coming up, the post 9/11 generation. my son is 15 years old, not a millennial. he'll vote four times from now. this generation think the millenials are laughable. >> intriguing. >> there is a generation coming up, the 9/11 generation.
6:52 pm
>> the 9/11 generation? >> i coined it here. >> understand a lot about adversity. stand by. next with some behind the scenes stories of 2016. . equitys lower than td ameritrade, schwab, and e-trade, you realize the smartest investing idea isn't just what you invest in, but who you invest with.
6:53 pm
choose you realize the smarteworld.esting idea love or like? naughty or nice? calm or bright? but at bedtime... ...why settle for this? enter sleep number. don't miss the semi-annual sale, going on now. sleepiq technology tells you how you slept and what adjustments you can make. she likes the bed soft. he's more hardcore. so your sleep goes from good to great to wow! give the gift of amazing sleep. only at a sleep number store, right now save $500 on the queencse mattress with sleepiq technology. hurry, ends sunday. know better sleep with sleep number.
6:54 pm
6:55 pm
steak and unlimited shrimp is back! for just $15.99 for a limited time. try unlimited garlic herb butter, or crispy shrimp for just $ 15.99. and let the bold flavors speak for themselves... with unlimited shrimp at outback.
6:56 pm
so today is november 18th. that happens to be my birthday. >> happy birthday. >> thank you. thank you very much. i have turned 46 today. and as i outline in my book, i'm actually very relieved to turn 46. for what's kind of a sad reason, but you can relate if you ever lost a parent, especially as a child. my dad was 45 when he died. i was 15. he died suddenly of a heart attack. my whole life, i have worried that i would not make it past age 45. and so somehow, i've been looking forward to this birthday. i feel it is a blessing. i just feel thankful to be here and be with my kids. this is something i know you can relate to because you lost your
6:57 pm
dad as a young age. >> same age, ninth grade, too. you said it did something for you. it put a fire underneath you. you knew life wasn't necessarily going to work out great unless you went ahead and pursued it. you knew tomorrow was not guaranteed. >> right. >> how in retrospect, i know you wrote about it, but it affected me when you said, that made me determined to make something of myself and go ahead and make it happen. don't wait for it to happen. >> right. in the back of my head, there's been this voice that says, hurry up. you're dying. i almost sanamed the book, hurr up, you're dying. they were like, no. >> you need a holiday. >> it is not a bad reminder. >> get your christmas shopping done now because you'll be dead by december 25th. >> that's a motivator for me. it's a reminder to seize the day. i realize everybody understands that. if you had great loss in your life, you know it on a gut level. >> you realize when you go home, you feel sadness for your mom.
6:58 pm
your mom feels sadness for you. you have to get on with your life and your mom has to get on with hers. holidays aren't the same. you feel you are on your own, am i correct? >> absolutely. we struggled a lot. struggled with money. just to keep our friends because my mom was a couple and then she was a single. it wasn't intentional but her friends moved on from her, which was very hard for her. now in my current life with my kids, i just think, like, i look around and we live in new york, right? a lot of investment bankers and people who work so hard in new york city and that happens everywhere. i can't do that. i can't be away from them for 12 to 15 hours every day, my kids. i get unhappy. i get deeply unhappy. so it's a reminder that time is passing. they need me, and i need them. to strike a better balance in that. >> am i right, you feel almost on a mission to reach your potential? whatever the potential is, in law you did it. one of your great things that happened in your life happened
6:59 pm
on your birthday. >> oh, yeah. >> you said i'll never forget this as my birthday. you were recognized how? >> it was nice. 23rd birthday. one of the things that's transformative for me is moot court. as soon as i got to law school and saw the guys on their feet, i thought, i can do that. i had to wait to try out. i practiced all summer, wrote my argument, doing my mock closing argument. i went in the room and did it. i nailed it. i made the team. and at the end of the big competition we did, my teammate and i lost. however, there was an award for the best individual advocate. >> who was that? >> bye, hillman. hello, kelly. that was my partner. actually, it was a wonderful birthday. it was a birthday the chair of the competition said i'd never forget and she was right. >> reached your peak, walked the streets at night, learned television. >> walked the streets? >> i'll revisit that.
7:00 pm
>> we should have made him leave. >> we have to go. it's called "settle more." you'll love it. i'll talk to you about it next week, too. we can talk about what you thought. good night. ine who they are. this is "objectified: donald trump." this is gonna be great. i'm harvey levin. you're about to see donald trump like you've never seen him before--in his home, talking about his life, the high points and the low. told through treasured objects he's chosen to keep. i sat down with trump a month and a half ago in his penthouse high above fifth avenue in trump tower. [crowd chanting "usa, usa"] we want you to see the next president of the united states-- the father, the aspiring movie producer, the sports fanatic, the man who still grieves over his brother's death, and the future politician. oprah winfrey: this sounds like political presidential talk. levin: who was

45 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on