Skip to main content

tv   Shepard Smith Reporting  FOX News  February 16, 2017 12:00pm-1:01pm PST

12:00 pm
are creating a stronger economy and the right environment in new york state for business to thrive. let us help grow your company's tomorrow - today at esd.ny.gov >> shepard: it's noon on the west coast. 3:00 in washington. president trump held his first solo news conference since taking office. he blasted fake media and fake news, slammed reports of american spies keeping secrets from him. talked up the progress he said he believed he made in his administration and blamed his problems on his predecessor. >> to be honest, i inherited a mess. it's a mess, at home and abroad, a mess. >> shepard: and that was only the first few minutes. complete coverage of today's event. welcome to the new new normal. let's get to it.
12:01 pm
first from the fox news desk, a news conference for the ages. >> number 1, i am the least anti-semitic person that you've seen in your entire life. number 2, racism. the least racist person. we did very well relative to other people running as a republican. >> shepard: once those two things were cleared up, the president attacked the messenger, lashed out at leakers and ticked off the things that he's accomplished that the media has not covered. the president does not think america has elected a president that has achieved so much in short period of time. he says the only problem is the media doesn't get it. >> the press is so dishonest. we don't talk about it. we're doing a tremendous disservice to the american people. tremendous disservice. we have to talk about it. the press honestly is out of
12:02 pm
control. >> shepard: the president said leakers and the media should be ashamed himself of the negative coverage of his presidency. he's vowing to hunt down the leakers and make them pay after sources leaked intelligence reports. >> i own nothing in russia. i have no loans in russia. i don't have any deals in russia. president putin called me up nicely to congratulate me. he called me up extremely nicely to congratulate me on the inauguration, which was terrific. so did many other leaders. almost all other leaders from almost all other countries. that's the extent. russia is fake news. this is fake news. >> shepard: the president claimed all the negative reporting about his teams ties to russia has hurt his chances of getting along with vladimir putin.
12:03 pm
president trump said the russian leader probably assumed he can't make a deal with him anymore because it would be unpopular. >> i want to do the right thing for the american people. to be honest, secondarily, i want to do the right thing for the world. if russia and the united states actually got together and got along -- don't forget, we're a very powerful nuclear country and so are they. there's no upside. we're a very powerful nuclear country and so are they. i've been briefed. i can tell you one thing about a briefing that we're allowed to say because anybody that read the most basic book can say it, nuclear holocaust would be like no other. they're very powerful nuclear country and so are we. if we have a good relationship with russia, believe me, that's a good thing. >> shepard: the president says he doesn't think the public believes the report about his team's discussions with russia. he denied anybody on his team has any ties to that country,
12:04 pm
but he did have a catch in the denial. >> russia is a ruse. you have to ask a question so important. russia is a ruse. i have nothing to do with russia. i haven't made a phone call to russia in years. i don't speak to people from russia. not that i wouldn't. i have nobody to speak to. i spoke to putin twice. he called me on the election and called me on the inauguration a few days ago. we had a very good talk. especially the second one. lasted for a long period of time. i'm sure you probably get it because it was classified. so i'm sure everybody in this room has it. we had a very, very good talk. i have nothing to do with russia. to the best of my knowledge, nor person that ideal with. >> shepard: that's his answer, to the best of his knowledge nobody does. he said the leaks are real. the substance of the leaks are real. but the news is fake.
12:05 pm
which of course makes no sense at all. you may remember candidate trump was the most vocal fan in america of the leaks before election day. he turned hacked e-mails from hillary clinton and other top democratic officials into one of the biggest weapons on the campaign trail. candidate trump told supporters "i love wikileaks" after the website published hacked e-mails. candidate trump encouraged russia to release more of her messages. his spokesman encouraged them to share any e-mail they might have with the fbi. in july, candidate trump claimed that the source of the leaked information didn't matter at all. it was about the information itself. >> let me tell you, it's not even about russia or china or whoever it is that is doing the hacking. it was about the things that were said in the e-mails. there were terrible things. >> it's not about who did it. it's about the terrible things. but the president today said the clinton e-mail leaks were different. because they weren't classified
12:06 pm
information. even though his whole case against the e-mails during the campaign was that they included classified information. >> in one case you're talking about highly classified information. in the other case, you're talking about john podesta saying bad things about the boss. i will say this. if john podesta said that about me, i would have fired him so fast your head would have spun. he said terrible things about her. it wasn't classified information. >> shepard: again, this is from the presidential news conference this afternoon. one of the most damaging reports about russia came last week from "the washington post" newspaper. it reported that former national security advisor michael flynn spoke to russia's ambassador about u.s. financial punishments for the inauguration and lied to the vice president about it. the white house said the president new for weeks that flynn had spoken about the sanctions with the ambassador. it also says that the president himself is the one that asked for flynn's resignation, which
12:07 pm
he said today. the press secretary sean spicer said it was a trust issue. some legal analysts say that trump may have broken the law. the president blames it on the leaks and the media and cover-up from supports of hillary clinton. he's offered no evidence of any cover-up. he's been test driving the baseless cover-up line for days. the president said what flynn told the russian ambassador was not wrong because flynn was doing his job. john roberts is live at the white house where the big shin dig wrapped up. how was that? >> it was quite an afternoon, shep. it was the equivalent of going for a nice long run. you get the endorphin feeling. the president has been pummeled, under siege from the democrats. he said let's get back to the way it was during the campaign. it was a 90-minute long,
12:08 pm
free-wheeling press conference. stretch me legs a little bit. in the midst of what you did there, we got questions to answers that we had been wanting to ask for a while now. at least since monday when general flynn was fired. in particular, what was it about the information that he got, whether it's from the justice department, the fbi or the white house counsel's office that led him to believe that there was no wrongdoing on the part of general flynn in his conversations with russian officials? here's what the president said in response to a question i asked him. >> what evidence did you weigh to determine there was no wrongdoing? you've said a couple times that you would aggressively pursue the source of these leaks. >> we are. >> can we ask what you're doing to do and we heard about a review of the intelligence community headed by stephen feinberg. what can you say? >> doesn't sound like he did anything wrong there.
12:09 pm
but he did something wrong with respect to the vice president, and i thought that was not acceptable. he was just doing his job. that was very normal. first, everybody got excited because they thought he did something wrong. after they thought about it, it turned out he was just doing his job. >> so the president said he would have probably asked flynn to contact these world leaders and talk about things like that if he thought that flynn wasn't doing it. i asked him specifically if the evidence that he weighed including transcripts of those telephone intercepts that the fbi has, which were the substance of one of the recent leaks that the president is so angry about. he wouldn't go to whether or not they actually looked at or requested the transcripts. he says based on the evidence that he saw and we don't know what that evidence was, that he was confident that general flynn didn't do anything wrong, shep. >> shepard: the president did take a great deal about the leaks, john. >> he did. that was part of the questions that i asked him. he said that this morning in a tweet that he was going to go
12:10 pm
after the leakers. he said when he was having a photo op with members of congress this morning, the leakers will be gone after and they will pay. i asked him exactly what he would do as president and in the future to try to determine who was leaking and what might happen to those people. here's what he told me. >> what will you do on the leaks? you said twice today -- >> it's very serious. i've gone to all of the folks in charge of the various agencies, and i've actually called the justice department to look into the leaks. those are criminal leaks. they're put out by people either in agencies. i think you'll see it stopping. because now we have our people in. we don't have our people in because we can't get them approved by the senate. we just had jeff sessions approved. so we are looking into that seriously. it's a criminal act.
12:11 pm
>> the president said he believes it's holdovers from the obama administration that are behind this. the first question you heard me ask about a review of the intelligence community conducted by stephen feinberg, who is an old friend of the president. he's a billionaire. the president said hopefully it won't come to that, that he won't need to bring in feinberg to do a review of the agencies because as he said there, he believes when he finally gets his people in to head up these agencies, a lot of the leaks will dry up and he believes that people that are holdovers are trying to get as much stuff out as they can. plugging all the leaks may be difficult. >> shepard: it's been widely reported that the white house is operating in a state of chaos. he fought back against that aggressively. >> certainly, shep. looks like things haven't run as smoothly as you might want them to. we talked about this during the
12:12 pm
transition. if you have a really good transition, you'll probably come out of the gate and have a good first 100 days. we've heard the transition, while the trump transition team told us it was going smoothly, perhaps wasn't quite as smooth as they were leading to believe. the president knocked back the idea today that the white house was in chaos. listen to what he said. >> i turn on the tv, open the newspapers and i see stories of chaos. chaos. yet it's the exact opposite. this administration is running like a fine-tuned machine despite the fact that i can't get my cabinet approved. they're outstanding people. >> one of the big sources of the perceived chaos is the roll-out of the immigration ban, the extreme executive order. the president insists hey, we rolled that out just fine. he did also say that next week when we broke this news earlier this morning, that he will have
12:13 pm
the new executive order on extreme vetting. he said this has been written in such a way is all-encompassing and will pass legal muster. he said next week is a big week. a lot of stuff coming out. hasn week. >> shepard: every week is a big week so far. when he wasn't talking about that sort of thing, he reverted to the election win repeatedly. >> he did. he chastised the media again. you played one portion of what he said. he ran through a landry list of everything he's accomplished since taking office. i have to tell you, i covered the transition and the first 100 days of george bush. this white house has at least tried to do far more than president bush did in his early days. i think you can say accurately far more than president obama did in his first 100 days. he said the reason he's not getting credit for it is because the media by and large is against him. let's listen to that front.
12:14 pm
>> i guess it was the biggest electoral college win since ronald reagan. in other words, the media is trying to attack our administration because they know we are following through on pledges that we made. and they're not happy about it for whatever reason. >> he says the media is against him because they're following through on the campaign pledges. in terms of this idea for getting a run and the endorphin high, the president will do it saturday. he will have his first big political rally since taking office. it will be in melbourne, florida. he wants to get back to capture the feeling he had in the campaign where there were some people that wanted to see him and wanted to talk to him as opposed to the people that have him under siege with his policies since january 20. >> shepard: rally coming. john roberts at the white house. a great 15 minutes. there's more to hear from president trump in his historic news conference. we'll have that and a couple
12:15 pm
reporters that follow what he says and does. that's coming up from the fox news desk on a thursday afternoon. close. i like that. [ all sounds come to a crashing halt ] ah. when your pain reliever stops working, your whole day stops. awww. try this. for minor arthritis pain, only aleve is fda approved to work for up to 12 straight hours with just one pill. thank you. come on everybody. aleve. live whole. not part.
12:16 pm
12:17 pm
tech: don't let a cracked windshtrust safelite.plans. with safelite's exclusive "on my way text"... you'll know exactly when we'll be there. giving you more time for what matters most. (team sing) safelite repair, safelite replace. >> i turn on the tv, open the newspapers and i see stories of chaos, chaos. yet, it's the exact opposite. this administration is running like a fine-tuned machine. despite the fact that i can't get my cabinet approved.
12:18 pm
they're outstanding people. like senator dan coates, one of the most respected men of the senate. he can't get approved. how do you not approved him? he's a colleague, highly respected. brilliant guy. great guy. everybody knows him. waiting for approval. >> shepard: let's bring in jeff mason from reuters and president of the white house correspondents association and john bussey. john, a fine-tuned machine. >> that's what he said. a good opportunity for the president to respond to some reports. a good chance for reporters to follow up with him about it. you know, i think people can draw their own conclusions as to whether they agree with his description that it's a fine-tuned the machine. the president had his characterization of the first few weeks of his administration have gone. >> shepard: john? >> a stream of consciousness where you see that from
12:19 pm
president trump. it's not unlike his rallies. there were not clear answers to pointed questions. there's concern in the country, concern in washington about the campaign, his campaign's relationship with russia. we didn't get definitive explanations of what was -- what is or what isn't true. a lot of condemnation of the press, including "wall street journal." pretty much everybody got it from the president. "wall street journal" for a story in today's paper about the intelligence community now holding back some critical intelligence from the president. why? because they're very concerned about the president's relationship with russia. his talking up of russia, pro russian stances and they're concerned that some of this information may go the wrong way. may get leaked. >> shepard: jeff, the rule is if the facts are no good for you. shoot at the messenger. does that rule still apply? >> the president clearly today as he has really during the
12:20 pm
campaign and since he became president unleashed a lot of unfriendly rhetoric towards the media. we know his position in that regard. he says reporters are dishonest. it's a characterization that i disagree with and the corresponde correspondent's association disagrees with. he did take a lot of questions today from a lot of difference reporters. that's something that we certainly support. >> shepard: i have to have a quick commercial break. it's the news is fake sound bite. it's about leaks and fakeness and realness. here we go. >> the leaks are absolutely real. the news is fake because so much of the news is fake. the one thing that i felt was important to do -- i hope we can correct it. there's nobody i have more respect for than reporters, good reporters.
12:21 pm
it's very important to me and especially in this position. it's very important. i don't mind bad or the -- stories. i can handle it as long as it's true. i'll make mistakes and you'll write badly and i'm okay with it. i'm not okay when it's fake.
12:22 pm
12:23 pm
12:24 pm
>> shepard: continuing coverage of the president's news conference that happened this afternoon. it's our job to let you know when things are said that aren't true especially by people you elected. this president keeps telling untrue things. he does it every single time. he's in front of the microphone. it's demonstrable. i can re-rack the tape for you. a lot of them today. some of them are not big. they're coming from the president of the united states. he said i had the biggest
12:25 pm
electoral win since ronald reagan. he didn't. he says it repeatedly. it's not true again. is it a big thing? no. but he brings them up. nobody asked him about his electoral college win. here's another thing. the people that ask him questions right now is, what is this relationship with russia? when russia was hacking into the election, hacking into the democrats -- the dnc, your guys were on the phone with the russians. did you talk about that? we don't get a straight answer on this question, which leads us to continue to ask the question. then he says russia is a ruse. it's fake news. the leaks are real but the news is fake. he says the information in the leaks is accurate. that's why he fired mike flynn, right? he said he fired him -- it's confusing. jeff mason is with us from
12:26 pm
reuters and john bussey is here from the "wall street journal." i hear you over there, jeff, trying not to upset the apple cart here. we keep getting a series of untrue things. it seems as if he yells at us for pointing it out and calls us names and calls us fake and stuff when we were pointing out that the president of the united states just told another untrue thing. that he's going to yell about us and people tweet about us. things i don't care about at all. i don't real the dang tweets. but it's up to people like you and all the rest of us to point it out when the president of united states keeps saying things that are demonstrably, n unquestionably false. when he won't answer as question like the russians are in theory in our election, this is a demonstrable true thing, your people were on the phone with them, did you take about the interference and we can't get a
12:27 pm
straight answer on that, that is bother some, isn't it? >> i don't disagree -- >> you can't because they're demonstrable truth. >> it's the job of the media to call people in power out and the most powerful person in the world. he does that, he does it regularly. fox, cnn, all other tv networks and these organizations like my own and others have the responsibility to be sure that that is reported and that it is corrected. >> shepard: treating jim acosta from cnn, a guy's never met but a good reporter. treating him like he's -- i'm not going to use the word. i'm not going to give twitter love it needs. it's crazy what we're watching every day. it's absolutely crazy. he keeps repeating ridiculous
12:28 pm
lines that are not true at all. sort of avoiding this issue of russia as if we're some kind of fools for asking the question. really? your opposition was hacked and the russians were responsible for it and your people were on the phone with russia the same day it's happening and we're fools asking questions? no, sir, we're not fools for asking the question and we demand to know the answer to this question. you owe this to the american people. your supporters will support you either way. what were your people saying? we have a right to know. we absolutely do. you call us fake news and put us down like children for asking these questions on behalf of the american people. it's inconsequential. the people deserve that answer. >> the complaints about the news and news agencies, the "wall street journal"," the new york times," fox, cnn, it's all meant to deflect. >> shepard: that's what it's for. >> and when he is caught out with a falsehood, once again,
12:29 pm
repeated that he had the highest electoral count -- >> shepard: which he didn't. >> -- since ronald reagan and he was called out, he said well, those are the numbers that people give me. you're supposed to have good data so people have confidence in you. it's a deflection from the issue. what is the issue? his own party, people in his own party, the democrats, the public. they're concerned about what relationship his campaign and he had with russia during the campaign and subsequent to that. why was the white house informed at the end of january about general flynn's conversations with russia, mentioning sanctions, why were they informed at the end of january. why was he fired only after the press accurately reported that
12:30 pm
the white house had been informed, the conversation had included information about sanctions, which general flynn had denied. so there was nothing fake in that. there's a lot of questions that are around what transpired during that delay and what took place during the campaign. these are big issues. the way to deflect attention from them is to rail about press. >> shepard: sitting here going round and roundabout these things is other worldly. i have to recollection, 30 years of, this i never recall anything -- >> there was a bit of a stream of consciousness quality to the press conference. that's personal style. >> shepard: that's fine. i don't care about that. >> we're glad that the president is coming out and taking questions in a press conference. spending a good amount of time doing it. but there was a stream of consciousness quality to it. he's reference to the horrors of nuclear war. you have to wonder how some of these issues get into the line
12:31 pm
of thinking that the president is pursuing. >> shepard: today, how great is melania? forgive this to whoever that was. how great is melania and the first lady. that's a great question. and then are you going to speak with the congressional black caucus. are they friends of use? an african american reporter. i can't pick a headline. i can't pick a place to start. >> this notion that the administration has been a well-oiled machine. there's always hitches to anymi. you're getting a lot of people into a lot of different jobs. there's confusion and some chaos. the call the roll-out of the travel ban -- >> that was the judge's fault. judge's fault. >> the subsequent problems were the judge's fault. the judge came into the equation only after crowds of people went to airports to show support for refugees coming in. >> shepard: they were paid. >> and protesting against the president. that was not a well-oiled machine.
12:32 pm
nicely to congratulate a smooth roll-out. >> and the media is reporting on that. that goes back to the point that you made. it's our job to call out untruths and our job to do good journalism. you mentioned that i was trying not to upset the apple cart. first of all, it's good he held a conference. it's not the tone that necessarily i would suggest setting. that's up to him. it's his job what tone he wants to set. it's the job of journalists and the white house press corps to ask aggressive questions. you saw that today and certainly when some of those answers turn out not to be truthful, the media is following up and reporting that and will do so going forward. >> shepard: hope so. ahead, an update on the russian spy ship that is lurking off the east coast.
12:33 pm
12:34 pm
>> shepard: headlines from the fox news deck. a chemical tank burst in germany sending a toxic cloud of
12:35 pm
sulfuric acid. about 150 people had breathing problems. no serious injuries. a new drone video shows what is left of a hotel that an avalanche buried in central italy. investigators say 29 people died when 60 tons of snow crushed that building. people in north korea celebrating kim jung il's birthday. they don't know his oldest son has died in a possible assassination plot. most north koreans don't have access to foreign news sources. state media has not mentioned the death of the dictator kim jong-un's half brother. officials say he told medics that somebody sprayed him with a chemical and he died. three people have been arrested. experience the lexus rx with advanced safety standard. experience amazing.
12:36 pm
this is not a screensaver.game. this is the destruction of a cancer cell by the body's own immune system, thanks to medicine that didn't exist until now. and today can save your life. ♪ ♪
12:37 pm
>> shepard: president trump calling a "wall street journal" report disgraceful and not true during his news conference today. current and former officials said that our top spies are
12:38 pm
holding with some intelligence information from president trump on purpose because they don't trust the commander-in-chief. >> "wall street journal" did a story today that was almost as disgraceful as the failing new york times story yesterday. >> shepard: officials said this withholding of sensitive information highlights a deep divide between the white house and the intelligence community. catherine herridge is live with more. >> at the news conference, president trump said that story was wrong. >> they took this front page story out of the "wall street journal" and wrote a story that is not true. i'll tell you something, i'll be honest because i enjoy this back and forth and i guess i have all my life but i've never seen more dishonest media than the political media. >> today the office for the nation's top spy issuing this statement denying sources and methods for collecting intelligence that would include
12:39 pm
human spying or wire tops are being blocked because of growing distrust. any suggestion that the u.s. intelligence community is withholding information to the president and his national security team is not true. based on our independent reporting at fox, there's something there. it's a little bit more nuanced than what the president said. we learned there was tension between the former national security advisor and the intelligence community. >> shepard: you have very good sources. what are they telling you? >> we learned a couple things. government official said that president trump has been receiving the president's daily brief. this is known as the pdb. the tension came after former national security advisor mike flynn began collecting his own raw data for a separate briefing for the president. typically that's not how it's done. >> the purpose of providing the president a different view of information from raw sources is
12:40 pm
for purposes of my judgment trying to get a clearer picture for what's doing on. >> the president seemed to play down this reporting that he's considering the appointment of this new york billionaire, stephen feinberg, that ran a hedge fund and has no experience in the intelligence community to do a very view of the 16 agencies as well as the executive branch. feinberg was talented and offered his help but he felt his new director of national intelligence, dan coates should be in place soon. what i should emphasize, there's a dare in the "wall street journal" story but may be more nuances with flynn because he's doing things because they don't play out that way in washington. >> shepard: thanks, catherine herridge. >> you're welcome. >> shepard: president trump refused to say what he would do about russia's military provocations. >> there's no reresponse to these provocations? >> i'm not doing to tell you
12:41 pm
about what response i do. i don't talk about response i do. i don't have to tell you what i'm going to do in north korea. i don't have to tell you what i'm going to do with iran. you know why? because they shouldn't know. >> shepard: as we reported, the russian spy ship has been lurking off of our coast this week. u.s. officials say it's capable of intercepting communications. it's the first time a russian spy ship has gotten so close to u.s. waters since president trump took office. the latest sighting north and east of norfolk, virginia. as you probably know, that is home to the largest naval base in the world. yesterday the ship was near the navy's submarine base in connecticut. you heard the president reference words that the russians buzzed a destroyner the black sea and moscow violated an arms treaty when they deployed a cruise missile in russia. this comes as rex tillerson
12:42 pm
meets with his russian counter part in germany. rich edson has more. the president is defending his openness in dealing with russia. >> he said if the united states could get along with russia, that would be a good thing. he says this as he addressed the perceived provocations as he talks about the buzzed jets and the ship in international waters. politically, it would be the best thing to react but he says he's not going to do that. here's the president. >> the greatest thing i could do is shoot that ship that is 30 miles offshore right out of the water. everybody he say, oh, it's so great. that's not great. that's not great. i would love to be able to get along with russia. now, you've had a lot of presidents that haven't taken that tact. >> as for how the united states will respond, the president won't say how or if he will
12:43 pm
rerespond to these perceived provocations because it's counter production. the president said it's a good thing to get along with russia because a nuclear holocaust would be like no other, shep. >> shepard: it would. rich edson live at the state department. thank you. so which is worse? contact between russia and the trump presidential campaign or the leaks that made that information public? the president's attack on whistle-blowers and his attempt to take control of the narrative. that's next. with my moderate to severe ulcerative colitis, the possibility of a flare was almost always on my mind. thinking about what to avoid, where to go... and how to deal with my uc. to me, that was normal. until i talked to my doctor. she told me that humira helps people like me get uc under control and keep it under control when certain medications haven't worked well enough. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems,
12:44 pm
serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. raise your expectations. ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, control is possible. asmy family tree,ing i discovered a woman named marianne gaspard... it was her french name. then she came to louisiana as a slave. i became curious where in africa she was from. so i took the ancestry dna test to find out more about my african roots. the ancestry dna results were really specific. they told me all of these places in west africa. i feel really proud of my lineage, and i feel really proud of my ancestry. ancestry has many paths to discovering your story, get started for free at ancestry.com withevery late night...g... and moment away... with every click...call...punch...
12:45 pm
and paycheck... you've earned your medicare. it was a deal that was made long ago, and aarp believes it should be honored. thankfully, president trump does too. "i am going to protect and save your social security and your medicare. you made a deal a long time ago." now, it's congress' turn. tell them to protect medicare.
12:46 pm
>> shepard: the senate's top become is calling on congress for an investigation. many republicans are on board but not all. the president wants this about the leaks. now the gop chairman of the house oversight committee wants an investigation. not of trump's actions but the leaks, if they happened. here's jason claffetz.
12:47 pm
>> it potentially happened before the president was sworn in. you can't mishandle classified information. we want the inspector general to dive into that issue and look under the hood and find out the truth. >> shepard: the democrats say it's not about the leaks but the trump's teams reported ties to russia. >> the allegations is that they were in regular contact with russian intelligence are the big deal here. it's striking that president trump is criticizing what he calls the fake media for having attacked the man he just fired. >> shepard: as we heard earlier, president trump repeated those attacks on the "fake media." let's bring in james from real clear politician. sounds like there's an investigation on two lines. >> yeah, that's right. the message up here in congress has been the investigation into the leaks and what some are
12:48 pm
calling, you know, dangerous leaks that could undermine our national security should be folded into what the house and senate intelligence committees are already doing and investigating russia's interference in the election. democrats have been embolden by what we seen with general flynn and "the new york times" report about contact between the russians and the trump campaign during the election. they continue to call for a special investigation in congress and in the justice department. republicans are suggesting this should fold into the investigation already. >> shepard: president trump said the leaks are nothing new but he will put a stop to them. some are saying this is an attack on whistle-blowers. there's things happening the public should know about it. i'm going to get it out there. the only way i know how is because it's being misrepresented by the administration. >> that's what a lot of
12:49 pm
democrats are saying. they're concerned that the republican focus has been on the leaks rather than what the information is, which is concern about potential ties to the campaign and russians. president trump said he didn't know anything about that during his press conference. democrats are urging not to let questions about the leaks become more than, you know, the information that is actually being investigated. >> shepard: speaking of the information being investigated, i know there's some action within the congress. is there a chance for an outside investigation? that's what some democratic leaders are asking for. >> yeah, democratic leaders are chuck schumer called for an independent probe both within congress and the justice department. right now republicans including speaker ryan and majority leader mcconnell said let's leave this to the intelligence community. they can look at this in
12:50 pm
classified privy -- private settings. you have some saying depending 0 n what the information shows, there could be the potential to expand it. right now you have the speaker, the majority leader and the chairman saying their investigations are the ones that should go forward. there's no need for anything beyond what the intelligence communities are doing. >> shepard: this is the beginning of an argument. good to see you. thanks very much. president trump says he will release a new executive order on immigration next week. remember, there was this discussion that the white house might challenge the judge's ruling. instead, they're going to issue a new executive order. now the justice department reports it does not want an appeals court to review the old travel ban. so something new is coming. meantime, people across the country, some taking parts in protests to show what america would be like without immigrants. that's next.
12:51 pm
12:52 pm
12:53 pm
12:54 pm
>> shepard: the justice department told a federal appeals court they could not want a larger panel of judges to review a ruling on immigration orders. that's according to court documents. instead, president trump said he will release a new order next week. a federal judge suspended the first order that banned immigration from seven muslim majority countries. a panel of appeals court refuses to reinstate it. the president said the roll out was perfect. >> let me tell you about the travel ban. we had a very smooth roll-out. but we had a bad court. had a bad decision. >> shepard: people across the country are skipping work and school for a day without immigrants protest.
12:55 pm
david lee miller has more in manhattan. >> hi, shepard. the evidence here is anecdotal. this day without immigrants protest went by for the most part unnoticed. many people didn't even know it was taking place. elsewhere around the country, a very different story. especially in washington d.c. that's where this movement launched on social media began and specifically the restaurant sector was hard hit. 23% of the work force in that industry is comprised of immigrants. one community in particular worth pointing out, am boy, new jersey where 40% of the immigrants are foreign born. not only was there a significant number of restaurants, food stores were shut and the city's mayor marched through the streets. listen. >> this is one day. can you imagine every day without an immigrant shopping in our businesses? how is that saying to the
12:56 pm
finances of our nation? more important, small mom and pops in our city. >> in just a few hours time, we expect a rally will take place in lower manhattan. an an try trump pro immigration rally. some activists see the actions as a dry run of what they're planning for may 1. may day. shepard. >> thanks, david. headlines at the top of the hour coming up. your insurance company won't replace the full value of your totaled new car. the guy says, "you picked the wrong insurance plan." no, i picked the wrong insurance company. with new car replacement™, we'll replace the full value of your car plus depreciation. liberty mutual insurance. tech: don't let a cracked windshtrust safelite.plans.
12:57 pm
with safelite's exclusive "on my way text"... you'll know exactly when we'll be there. giving you more time for what matters most. (team sing) safelite repair, safelite replace.
12:58 pm
12:59 pm
>> shepard: on this day in 1923, archaeologists in egypt with a discovery in the making. they found the tomb of king tut. inside, jewels, a priceless gold mask and a mummified body of king tut himself. many of the artifacts went to a museum in cairo after a discovery for the ages 94 years ago today!
1:00 pm
a crazy day on the market. the dow started out up and then a roller coaster thing. but we're close to closing on the positive side. it's always positive on "your world" with neil cavuto. that show is coming up on now for america's choice for news and information on cable. >> neil: all right. thank you, shep. i'm neil cavuto. you're watching "your world." it's interesting that we start where shepard ended on the market. on the dow. take a look. at a day, a time when you have the media in contortions over the president of the united states fingering them and they feel not admitting mistake of his own, you'd think this would lead to a crisis in the media. but look at the dow. look at the dow. we're at a record. not much of one after an event. but after yesterday, which was a record, this is a record. so if the markets are losing confidence in the president, they certainly have a funny

101 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on