Skip to main content

tv   Special Report With Bret Baier  FOX News  June 8, 2017 3:00pm-4:01pm PDT

3:00 pm
social media specialistsfnc on twitter and facebook. 5:00 will never be the same. "special report" coming up right now. >> bret: this is a fox news alert. i am bret baier in washington. you're looking library now at pictures from the u.k. where workers are counting votes in an election that may send shock waves across the globe. early numbers from parliamentary balloting suggest a major upset in the making there and a possible loss of the majority in parliament for prime minister theresa may's conservative party. the british pound has fallen in reaction to the polls that are suggesting that conservatives are doing much worse than expected. we will have a live report from london. first, breaking political news here in the u.s. former fbi director james comey says he wrote his now famous memos about his memos with
3:01 pm
president trump because he was afraid the president might lie about the private meetings. he also reiterated what was released yesterday that he says the president did not ask him to drop the russian investigation. comey's much anticipated testimony before the senate intelligence committee was front-page news and must-see tv today, whether it lived up to expectations depends on your perspective. we will look at all of that from all angles tonight. we have fox team coverage per the white house with the what the president's campaign is saying. howard kurtz tells us how the press is very but we start off with catherine herridge. >> james comey testified he needed the memos because he couldn't trust the president. the guy was honestly concerned he might lie about the nature of our meeting and so i thought it important to document very >> senior democrat on the senate intelligence committee wanted more information on the first
3:02 pm
encounter with the incoming president. >> what was it about the meeting that led you to determine you needed to start putting down a written record? >> circumstances, subject matter, and the person i was interacting with. circumstances, i was alone with the president of the united states, or president-elect. >> the fired fbi director told the panel that the white house was not straight with him. >> shifting explanations confused me and increasingly concerned me. they confused me because the president and i had had multiple conversations about my job, both before and after he took office. >> the white house said james comey was fired over his handling of the hillary clinton email investigation and the loss of confidence of the fbi. former directors that otherwise about the president's motives. >> i was fired because of something about the way i was conducting the russian investigation was in some way putting pressure. >> comey documented conversations with the
3:03 pm
president, including a meeting where he alleged the president told him to let go of the federal probe into former national security kaiser mike flynn. >> at the time, did you say anything to the president that it's not appropriate. >> i didn't. circumstances were such that it was, i was a bit stunned. >> after a report that the president asked comey for a pledge of loyalty, mr. trump tweeted about possible tapes of their conversation, setting into motion a chain of muds that led to the special counsel appointment. >> i've seen the tweet about tapes. >> comey decided it was up to him. >> asked a friend of mine to share the content of the memo. i didn't do it myself. i asked him to because i thought it might prompt the appointment of a special counselor. >> members of both parties questioned his actions. >> you didn't consider your memo or sense of the conversation to be a government document? you considered it to be your own
3:04 pm
personal document that you could share with the media as you wanted? >> i understood this to be my recollection recorded of my conversation with the president is a private citizen and i felt free to share it. >> it comes down to who should we believe. do you want to say why we should believe you? >> i have tried to be open and fair and transparent and accurate. >> comey testified it was up to the special counsel whether the president's statements amounted to a crime. >> do you know if a person has been charged with obstruction of justice or any other criminal offense where they said or thought they hoped for an outcome. >> i took it as a direction. this is the president of the united states with me alone saying "i hope this." i took it that he wants me to do this. i didn't obey it. >> senate intelligence committee hearing unfolded and sorted
3:05 pm
other headlines. >> did the president ask you to stop the fbi investigation into russian involvement in the 2016 u.s. elections? >> not my understanding. >> attorney general loretta lynch, comey testified she instructed him to use leg which they downplayed the fbi probe of hillary clinton's email similar to the language used by clinton's campaign. >> the attorney general directed me to not call it an investigation, to call it "a matter." >> versus interference in the election, comey testified it was done with purpose, sophistication, and it came from the top. >> bret: thank you. so far we have not heard from the president on comey's testimony but we heard from the president's personal attorney. safe to say the trump team is trying to accentuate the positive and hammer comey on the negative. john roberts has the story.
3:06 pm
>> white house and the republican party trying to put the best spin possible in today's hearing, insisting that comey's testimony proves the president did nothing wrong and that it is "time for this witch hunt to end. the image donald trump wanted to present was a president on concerned. speaking to the faith and freedom coalition. >> you didn't let me down and i will never, ever let you down. you know that. >> left to the president's outside attorney, marc kasowitz, to respond to james comey's testimony. >> mr. comey has now finally confirmed publicly what he repeatedly told president trump privately. that is that the president was not under investigation as part of any probe into russian interference. >> while marc kasowitz claimed vindication, the president's team took issue with comey's
3:07 pm
assertion that the president was subtly ordering him to drop the investigation into michael flynn. >> the president never informed or substance, directed or suggested that mr. comey stop investigating anyone, including the president never suggested mr. comey "let the flame." >> don, jr., backed up his father, saying he doesn't do subtle, writing "knowing my father for 39 years, when he orders her tells you to do something, there is no. you will know exactly what he means." on comey's assertion that the present was asking for a pledge of loyalty, marc kasowitz insisted it didn't happen. >> the president never told mr. comey "i need loyalty. i expect loyalty." he never said it in form and he never said it in substance. >> the bulk of the response came from the president's personal
3:08 pm
attorney, the white house did weigh in on comey's assertion that the president lied about the directors firing. >> the administration chose to defame me and the fbi by saying that the organization was in disarray, that it was poorly led, that the work force had lost confidence in its leader. those were lies lane and simple. >> and an off-camera briefing, the principal deputy secretary rejected the charge prayed >> i can definitively say that the president is not a liar and it's insulting that the question would be asked. >> the team came down hard on comey's revelation that he leaked the details of the february 14 oval office meeting in order to prompt the appointment of a special counse counsel. kasowitz claimed it amounted to retaliation against the president. >> we will live to the appropriate authorities to determine whether these leaks should be investigated along with all the others that are
3:09 pm
being investigated. >> the president's legal team also charges that comey began to leak the contents of this memo before the president sent out the tweet that comey said caused him to leak the contents and the details of the meeting they had in the oval office. the day before the president sent out the tweet, "the new york times" carried a story that had details of a private dinner between comey and the details. >> bret: john roberts live on the north lawn. thank you. a lot of talk about the media during today's hearing, and the media took a pounding. fox news media analyst and host of foxes media buzz howard kurtz as a look. >> president trump wasn't the only target today. he took direct aim at the press. critical of "the new york times" story. >> so the american people can
3:10 pm
understand, the report by "the new york times" was not true. is that a fair statement? >> in the main, it was not true. >> comey didn't specify what was untrue but said many media reports are off the mark and that's because in his view, most sources cited by journalists are uninformed. >> i'm not picking on reporters writing stories about classified information. the people talking about it often don't really know is going on and those of us who actually know what's going on are not talking about it. >> he broadened his indictment of the press. >> you were stunned about how wrong they were. >> many stories reportedly based on classified information that are just dead wrong. >> comey said the fbi doesn't call the press to correct inaccurate stories. his testimony knocked down reports on cnn and abc that comey would say that he never told the president he was not under investigation as part of the russia probe. >> he will say he never assured
3:11 pm
donald trump he was not under investigation, it would have been improper. >> comey confirmed he had given the president such assurances three times, which prompted cnn to correct an online story. comey admitted orchestrated his own leak to "the new york times" which reported last month that the president and asked him to "shut down the investigation of former national security advisor michael flynn." the story" from comey's version, including the president telling him "i hope you can let this go" which a comey friend read to the paper. >> why didn't you give them yourself? >> i was worried the media was camping at the end of my driveway and i was going out of town with my wife to hide and i worried it would be like feeding sequels at the beach. i asked my friend, make sure it gets out. >> this comey put -- stories
3:12 pm
inaccurate while confessing he's been a high-level leaker. there is no question the media's reputation took a hit at the hearing that the networks carried live. >> bret: let's get some analysis and reaction from the ranking democrat on the house intelligence committee. california congressman adam schiff. thank you for the time for your assessment of today's hearing. >> well, i found it quite stunning. not every day you have a former director of the fbi saying he couldn't trust the president, that the president had demanded loyalty from him in a conversation that at least in part centered around whether the director would keep his job and most significantly that he was asked to drop a case involving a high profile target of the president. national security advisor of the united states. pretty stunning in many
3:13 pm
respects. >> bret: i want to take a listen at some of the questioning, specific issues you mentioned. >> did the president at any time ask you to stop the fbi investigation into russian involvement in the 2016 u.s. elections? >> not to my understanding. >> did any individual working for this administration, including the justice department, ask you to stop the russian investigation? >> no. >> this is the president speaking. i hope you can see your way to letting this go, letting flynn go. you don't know anyone who's been charged for hoping something. >> i don't. >> why didn't you say this is wrong? i cannot discuss it. >> great question. >> did you tell the white house counsel is not an appropriate request. someone needs to tell the president he can't do these things? >> i didn't. in the moment didn't come to my mind. >> bret: do you think there is an obstruction of justice case here? >> i think there's evidence that
3:14 pm
was presented in the testimony that the president they have sought to interfere or obstruct the investigation pray there's obviously a question about whether there is sufficient evidence, but if we were prosecuting a case of obstruction, his entire testimony would come in. i don't think there's a judge in the land that would find it wasn't relevant evidence that goes to obstruction. i think one of the most powerful points the director made today is that the president, each time, cleared the room, including cleared the room of the attorney general. why would you do that unless you are conscious that what you were about to do was wrong? i think we need to corroborate the director's testimony. we ought to find out whether there president asked other directors to weigh in with director comey to drop the flynn case. we often examine those memorandum. i talk to people in the fbi who worked with director comey.
3:15 pm
>> bret: he was asked whether he thought he would be fbi director today had he not unfired. he said yes. what about the questioning from dianne feinstein, marco rubio and others about his reaction, should he have believed there was obstruction of justice. his reaction to it. >> those were perfectly appropriate questions, as was the question, if this is wrong, why didn't you confront the president. his answer was he was stunned. i think it's fair to ask after you got over the shock, why wasn't it raised with other people at the justice department. if you didn't feel you could go to the attorney general, why not go to the acting deputy attorney general. those are all perfectly fair questions. people can evaluate whether he took the right steps are not but i do think that the underlying facts he outlined of what took place seemed very credible to
3:16 pm
me. >> bret: legal analyst and law professor john -- jonathan turley said "if trump made these comments, his conduct is wildly inappropriate. talking like tony soprano does not make you tony soprano. "similar to that argument the house speaker made today about the president's style is a new york real estate developer. do you buy it? >> i don't. you can't hold this president to a different ethical standard then you would hold others. the fact that he dismisses other people from the room shows a consciousness that what he's doing is wrong. more than that, this isn't just about how the president talks. the president was trying to get the director of the fbi to drop a criminal case involving someone very close to the president, that's a serious business. >> bret: was it appropriate for the fbi director, former fbi director, to leak the contents
3:17 pm
of the memos of the private meetings with the president to a friend to be leaked to the media? >> i think if the director was as concerned as he evidently was that either this evidence might not be preserved or that the true story out to get out, i think the director should have come to the public directly himself or come to congress and made those statements and clarify the record and not gone through a third-party. that's what i think the director should have done. >> bret: he says the media, there's been many stories based on classified information reportedly, lots of stuff but especially about russia that are just dead wrong. congressman, you have cited a lot of stories with the sourcing. former fbi director's think a lot of that is dead wrong. what do you think? >> certainly some of the stories are wrong. as you know, some of the stories on fox about the british being participants and surveillance of president trump were wrong. that doesn't excuse the president's conduct here.
3:18 pm
we do need to get to the bottom of what allegations aired in public in these stories are true and what's not true. certainly there's been press reporting that's been erroneous at times, press reporting that's been all too accurate. i will say any reporting that reveals sources and methods, anyone that is disclosing sources and methods, it's a real problem. >> bret: fox news division never fact of the british report. let me ask you a couple more things. one is there was talk today in questioning about the former attorney general loretta lynch meeting with the former president bill clinton on the tarmac in arizona. here's some of that in the questioning. >> was your decision influenced by the attorney general's tarmac meeting with the former president bill clinton? >> yes, ultimately in an ultimately conclusive way. >> were there other things that contributed to that that you can
3:19 pm
describe? >> the attorney general had directed me not to call it investigation but to call it "a matter." it confused me and concerned me. >> gave the impression that the attorney general was looking to align the way we talked about or work with the way political campaign was describing the same activity which was inaccurate. we had a criminal investigation open. >> bret: for all the talk about political influence in the russian investigation from allegedly the trump administration, director comey is making a charge that then attorney general loretta lynch was politically active in how he was supposed to characterize the investigation. >> i think director comey didn't shed additional light on how the justice department was viewing or handling or talking about the clinton investigation. what was most significant, apart from knowing more about the historical record, is what light is shed on director comey. director comey acknowledged he agreed to use a different word to talk about "a matter" rather
3:20 pm
than an investigation, something he was uncomfortable with. in evaluating the credibility of a witness, you look at whether someone admits they did something and that enhances the credibility of the rest of their testimony, at least my view. >> bret: congressman schiff, we appreciate your time. you are looking live at the u.k., as workers count the votes to tell us what happened in today's parliamentary elections. exit polls are in, and it looks like a major upset in the making. this has world locations but we will go live to london after the break. you do all this research on a perfect car, then smash it into a tree. your insurance company raises your rates... maybe you should've done more research on them. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. liberty mutual insurance.
3:21 pm
3:22 pm
3:23 pm
3:24 pm
>> bret: this is a fox news alert. votes been counted in the u.k. were polls closed an hour ago. could be big surprises. the election began as a way to get more support for the brexit, england leaving the european union. britain leaving the european union but ended as a referendum on the prime minister's terrorism policies. senior foreign affairs correspondent greg palkot is live in london. good evening. >> surprises indeed. votes are being tallied but according to sky news, while the conservative party of prime minister theresa may could end up being against the biggest party the next parliament, they could be short of a majority. that's a big shock for the prime minister and a boost for the left-wing labour party and its leader, jeremy corbyn. trailing the conservatives, there is still evidence they are doing better-than-expected. britain must negotiate in the
3:25 pm
coming years and exit, or brexit, from the european union. daunting task with the u.k. hoping to maintain access to the european market while cutting immigration. britain must deal with the growing threat from islamist terror. deadly acts in less than three months. tightening an anti-terror laws and rebuilding of the police force has been called for. after years of austerity, a host of domestic problems faced the u.k. socialized medicine not up to the task, infrastructure lacking, and a widening economic gap. this country has been hit hard by austerity cuts. could be down to campaign stumbles by prime minister theresa may. the early results, early projections we should say, not great news for the white house. prime minister may has been overall friendly with president trump in this time of shaky relations with europe,
3:26 pm
washington could need all the friends he can get. this is just an exit poll. conservatives could still gain their majority or they could form a coalition with other parties. they could also face what's dreaded here in the u.k., what's called a hung parliament. no majority at all. it's going to be a long night and maybe some long days. >> bret: quickly, i've seen reporting out of the u.k. people referencing president trump's tweets with the london mayor and the back-and-forth. somehow it energized the left. is that the feeling? >> it's been a controversial point. i must say the labour party, jeremy corbyn and others picked up on it. prime minister may kept a bit of a distance from that at the end of the day frivolously whether it played any role. a very tight match it's looking like. >> bret: greg palkot live in london.
3:27 pm
we are alive at midnight with the results. a woman charged in the u.s. with leaking national security secrets to the news media was in federal court. jonathan serrie shows us what happened from augusta, georgia,. >> this story is unfolding as we speak. the hearing is still going on, they did take a 15 minute break but once court resumes, we anticipate the federal judge will determine whether reality winner will be granted bond or whether she must remain in jail until her trial which will be scheduled at a later date. she arrived in the courtroom wearing an orange jumpsuit. her hands were cuffed behind her back, her legs were in shackles. after she was seated, bailiffs released her hands. she was taking copious notes throughout the entire hearing. she pled not guilty to the federal government's allegation that she revealed government documents to an online news source. meanwhile, investigators continue to examine the evidence
3:28 pm
that they uncovered during a search warrant of her home over the weekend. in the search warrant, they seized two computers, a tablet, several journals, among other items. in the journal, prosecutors revealed some of the quotes in the journal in which winner allegedly said "i want to burn the white house down." went on to name osama bin laden and several other taliban leaders, also saying she wanted to live somewhere other than the usa, listing several countries and regions, including curtis tan nepal, afghanistan, and mexico. they read several quotes from transcripts of phone conversations she had with family members once she was incarcerated. she allegedly told her sister "i'm going to play the card," being pretty, white, and cute. in another conversation with her
3:29 pm
mother, she allegedly said if i don't get out, go nuclear with the press, that is the way manning got out. defense attorneys called family members that a friend who described her as a highly intelligent young woman who turned down a full college scholarship to join the air force and serve her country. >> bret: live in agusta, thank you. stocks were up. dow gained 9. s&p 500 finished ahead. nasdaq senior pentagon officials say a u.s. aircraft shot down a drone belonging to pro-syrian forces after the drone fired on coalition personnel today. no one was injured. earlier in the day, allied forces destroyed two pro regime vehicles advancing toward coalition troops. we are getting reaction to north korea's latest missile tests that came on the same day south korea's new president suspended the installation of
3:30 pm
new u.s. provided antimissile defenses. kristin fisher is watching it from the pentagon. to go when north korea launched several missiles 24 hours ago, they landed in the same waters where earlier this week to u.s. aircraft carriers were conducting joint military exercises with the south korean navy. south korean military leaders are saying the north likely wanted to show off its ability to precisely hit a large warship while the country's new president is issuing this morning. >> translator: our government, as i have clarified multiple times, will not back off at all or compromise regarding national security and people's safety. >> the latest launch was the fourth missile test since south korean president moon jae-in took office less than a month ago. he has been outspoken about his desire to achieve
3:31 pm
denuclearization. he pulled the plug on a crucial u.s. missile defense system. the state department spokeswoman says the most recent provocations prove why the trump administration believes the thaad missile defense system is so vital. >> it's important not only protect u.s. forces, to protect our alliance, and also to protect -- help to further strengthen the region. >> the move to suspend the deployment of thaad is being applauded by china and criticized on capitol hill. >> obviously a blow to our national security interests but larger than that, i think what it means is south korea's not sure of the united states' commitment to their collective security. it's part of a result of president trump's foreign policy of america first. >> today the state department spokeswoman declined to say if the trump administration was disappointed by south korea's
3:32 pm
decision but the secretary of state and the secretary of defense met today to talk about it. >> bret: kristin fisher live at the pentagon. thank you. iran's intelligence minister says five men who carried out yesterday's terrorist attacks had previously fought for the islamic state group. 17 people died and more than 40 were wounded and assault on parliament and the tomb of iran's revolutionary leader. the white house condemned the attacks but implied iran is a major sponsor of terrorism. the foreign minister called the statement repugnant. qatar's top diplomat striking a defiant tone tonight. qatar's foreign minister says the campaign by saudi arabia and its allies isolated country is based on what he calls false and fabricated newsprint he says qatar has the right to support groups like the muslim brotherhood despite its neighbors outlawing the sunni
3:33 pm
islamic group. president trump has offered to host leaders at the white house to try to resolve the crisis. early word that qatar may turn it down. up next, the panel dissects what we heard today, a lot abates, in the james comey hearing. here is what our affiliates are covering. fox 29 in philadelphia, jurors and the bill cosby sexual assault trial read statements from a police interview conducted 12 years ago. cosby acknowledges fondling a woman after giving her what he said were cold and allergy pills to help her relax. at the time, prosecutors did not press charges. she is one of about 60 women who say cosby sexually violated them. in montana, greg gene forte apologizes. ben jacobs has accepted the apology and agreed not to sue.
3:34 pm
gianforte will pay money to an advocacy program. live look at atlanta from our affiliate fox 5. officials say a deadly street drug made to look like percocet is a mix of two synthetic opioids, one of which is consistent with a new substance similar to fentanyl. the drug is linked to four deaths and more than a dozen hospitalizations. tonight's live look outside the beltway from "special report." we will be right back. julie is living with metastatic breast cancer, which is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of her body. she's also taking prescription ibrance with an aromatase inhibitor, which is for postmenopausal women with hormone receptor- positive her2- metastatic breast cancer as the first
3:35 pm
hormonal based therapy. ♪ ibrance plus letrozole was significantly more effective at delaying disease progression versus letrozole. and ibrance plus letrozole shrunk tumors in over half of these patients. patients taking ibrance can develop low white blood cell counts, which may cause serious infections that can lead to death. before taking ibrance, tell your doctor if you have fever, chills, or other signs of infection liver or kidney problems, are pregnant, breastfeeding, or plan to become pregnant. common side effects include low red blood cell and low platelet counts... ...infections, tiredness, nausea, sore mouth, abnormalities in liver blood tests, diarrhea, hair thinning or loss, vomiting, rash, and loss of appetite. julie calls it her "new" normal. because a lot has changed, but a lot hasn't. ask your doctor about ibrance, the number-one-prescribed, fda-approved oral combination treatment for hr+/her2- mbc.
3:36 pm
♪ ♪you are loved ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ sfx: engine revving ♪ (silence) ♪
3:37 pm
it's ok that everybody ignoit's fine.n i drive. because i get a safe driving bonus check every six months i'm accident free. because i don't use my cellphone when i'm driving. even though my family does, and leaves me all alone. here's something else... i don't share it with mom. i don't. right, mom? i have a brand new putter you don't even know about! it's awesome. safe driving bonus checks, only from allstate. sometimes i leave the seat up on purpose. switching to allstate is worth it. >> the administration chose to defame me and more importantly, the fbi by saying that the organization was in disarray, that it was poorly led, that the work force had lost confidence in its leader. those were lies, plain and simple. >> in the interview with lester
3:38 pm
holt, the president said i had dinner with him. he wanted to have dinner because he wanted to stay on. is this an accurate statement? 's ago knows her. >> the president was asked whether he urged you to shutdown the investigation into michael flynn. the president responded "no, no." is that accurate? >> i don't believe so. >> the president never suggested that mr. comey "let flynn go " the president also never told mr. comey "i need loyalty. i expect loyalty." >> bret: the president's personal attorney reacted to testimony. let's bring in the panel. charles hurt, a.b. stoddard, syndicated columnist charles krauthammer. charlie, your assessment. >> i don't know how anybody could come out of this without thinking it was a good day for
3:39 pm
the president. there are a lot of things that are still being disputed by the white house but let's assume everything director comey said is what happened. it's clear the president didn't obstruct justice. he isn't and wasn't under investigation for ties to russia and the new things, there's more unpleasant things we already knew about such as the pressure he appeared to put on comey in the white house was obviously not the way things work in washington. for no one is that a surprise. donald trump doesn't do things the way are done in washington. the new things that came out was the bombshell about loretta lynch that suggests that not only did she perhaps obstruct justice. she also tampered in the election. has to be considered a victory
3:40 pm
for donald trump. >> the bombshell that caught the senators by surprise was that the former fbi director said he was a leaker. take a listen. >> the president tweeted after i got fired that i better hope there's not tapes. i woke up in the middle of the night monday night because it didn't dawn on me originally that there might be corroboration for our conversation. there might be a tape. my judgment was i needed to get that out into the public square so i asked a friend of mine to share the content of the memo with a reporter. i didn't do it myself. i asked him to because i thought it might prompt the appointment of a special counsel. >> who was it? >> a good friend was a professor at columbia law school. >> bret: that was daniel richmond. columbia law professor and he leaked the information, a.b., to
3:41 pm
"the new york times" which is where we got the story about the memos in the original michael flynn story. >> i think we've known for a long time that comey has been actively leaking because there's lots of sources familiar with comey's thinking. i think he feels free to say this is what i did and i did it for a reason, hoping it would lead to the appointment of a special counsel. started with a tweet from trump on friday talking about tapes that to this day we don't really think exist or that he will share. i think today was a day, i think it's great for the end of end e comey iraq. everyone is done hearing from him. we've heard from him. it's over. we won't hear from him anymore. he is a political guy, a slippery guy, confusing guy. he didn't have good answers to a lot of questions today. this is going to be a time for
3:42 pm
discipline from this president that i don't know he's really up to executing. good to have his lawyer response today and not live tweet the event but the suggestion that robert mueller could be looking into obstruction of justice will likely drive the president craz crazy. it's reported that attorney general sessions had a third meeting with sergey kislyak that's been previously undisclosed. there will be more leaks. president trump will remain nervous about these investigations. he's going to have to do everything m's power to control himself. >> bret: i have been told privately that one of the reasons they have the personal attorney, one of the reasons he made the statement was in essence did not have the president get engaged on twitte twitter. to have the personal attorney take everything and because he's forceful and in the new york style, perhaps it meets the president's wishes. >> he wasn't a good advocate today. he didn't present a good case.
3:43 pm
on a day when the press secretary says the president is not a liar, you've had a bad day. and a big there's anyway to read it. i don't think comey had a good day for himself but surely the president had a bad day and it's the cliff you showed at the beginning in which angus king asked comey, the president said, so-and-so, is it true? no. is it true? no. a similar thing happened in july where comey was asked about statements he had made one at a time. is that true? no. it devastated her. i think it brings home the question of the president's credibility. i don't think comey -- i think he was credible in part because he showed himself to be cowardly, caving into loretta lynch, characterizing the
3:44 pm
investigation into hillary in a way that helped her campaign that he didn't -- he knew was wrong but did it anyway. if you thought this was obstruction of justice when trump was asking you to drop the flynn thing, why didn't you resign? why didn't you bring it up with the president or anybody i justice? i don't know if cowardly is the right word but he sure has post-fecteau integrity. >> bret: he used those words, cowardly, didn't stand up. the line of questioning was not just republicans. senator dianne feinstein asked, why didn't you step up? why didn't you say this is not appropriate? he didn't have an answer. this is the exchange with the idaho republican. >> did not direct you to let it go. >> not in his words.
3:45 pm
>> did not order you to let it go. >> i took it as a direction. the president of the united states with me alone saying "i hope this." i took it that this is what he wanted me to do. >> do you know of any case where a person is been charged for obstruction of justice or for that matter any other criminal offense where they said or thought "they hoped" for an outcome. >> i don't know well enough to answer. >> bret: he wouldn't make the determination whether obstruction of justice can be made, but listening to the answers, it's a tough case. >> if you talk to people that have made those cases before the past, it's a very, very hard thing to prove when a caisson because you have to be able to prove a crime was committed obstructing justice. in a case like this, it would be something like bribery.
3:46 pm
the complexity of it has a lot of people -- it is catnip for the press, and people who love politics but for a lot of people i think they are like, what is this all about? they don't care that much about it and the fact that this could be no charges brought, i would argue, it amounts to nothing. >> bret: that is the bottom line. it's a political process and you had paul ryan saying we would not impeach a democrat with this evidence. let alone a republican. republican house and senate. >> right, because the sitting president is not going to be indicted over this, the question is, how much pressure will come from the congress, from his own party? he's not going to be impeached. the problem is, first of all, we don't know what we don't know and we have to come back to it. >> bret: he said many, many of the stories have been wrong, dead wrong. this is comey.
3:47 pm
>> bret: the day before -- >> the day before yesterday they did not deny he asked them the same thing. they didn't say this never happened. what i mean by that is we don't know what we don't know. there might've been other -- might've been other people, might've been others that president trump talk to about the flynn investigation. the point is we don't know. we won't know until the end of f the meal there investigation. -- the robert mueller investigation. in the meantime, it is damaging to his credibility. james comey is going to disappear and doesn't matter anymore. the point is, the lawyer came out and tried to pretend comey is lying. donald trump has no credibility
3:48 pm
left. even if he is not indicted or impeach, it's a huge problem for his leadership. >> bret: more with the panel when we come back. for a non-stop, sweet treat goodness, hold on to your tiara kind of day. get 24/7 digestive support, with align. the #1 doctor recommended probiotic brand. also in kids chewables.
3:49 pm
3:50 pm
i am totally blind. and non-24 can throw my days and nights out of sync, keeping me from the things i love to do. talk to your doctor, and call 844-214-2424. i am totally blind. and non-24 can make me show up too early... or too late. or make me feel like i'm not really "there." talk to your doctor, and call 844-234-2424.
3:51 pm
>> bret: of course, there needs to be a degree of independence between doj, fbi, and the white house. the presidents new at this. he is new to government. and so he probably was not steeped in the long-running protocols that establish the relationships between doj, fbi, and white houses, he has just new to this. >> bret: a similar argument made by jonathan carly, you can talk like tony soprano and not to be tony soprano.
3:52 pm
referencing back to previous testimony, a number of republicans pointing to the comey hearing on may 3rd. >> can they hold that fbi investigation? >> in theory, he asked. >> has it happened? >> not in my experience. it would be a big deal to tell the fbi to stop doing something without an appropriate purpose. i'm talking about a situation where we were told to stop something for a political reason, that would be a very big deal. it does not happen in my experience. >> bret: he also said it was a big deal that the president asked everybody to clear the room in the oval office and then told him to let it go in his words about michael flynn's investigation. can both be true? >> yes, the clearing of the room is very self indicting. you do not clear the room unless you want to do something that you do not want anybody to know about. >> bret: it has not happened in my experience was the testimony.
3:53 pm
>> right, but was he referring specifically to an instance of quid pro quo, or was it just as comey describes that the meeting where he had a sense that the president wanted a patronage relationship? and you are not supposed to have one. it is no excuse as ryan says, to say that he is new to this. he is not -- first of all, trump ran saying that my newness is a reason to vote for me. all of these guys are corrupt, they are weak. they cannot negotiate, they need somebody new and strong. we wanted to be new, he was new. but those are the excuses, you do not have to be steeped in the constitution to know that you do not have the relationship of patronage with the head of the fbi. >> bret: understood, what onus is on the fbi director to say to the new president who is the developer from new york, mr. president, with all due
3:54 pm
respect, this is not appropriate? >> i agree with you entirely. that is why they are both diminished. and the attempt of the democrats to turn comey into some secular saint is not only hypocritical, it is laughable. he admitted his own cowardly nest. he should've stood up. mr. president, we cannot do this. mr. president, i will resign. or mr. president, i have to go upstairs to my boss to the attorney general, or to congress. and tell them what is going on here. because it should not have been, he said all of that, but he did not, and he told us as i said earlier, with loretta lynch, he folded like a cheap suit as well. so it is not a paragon of integrity, but that does not matter. he is not president. the president is, and he needs to know what is right and what is wrong. >> bret: one more exchange about whether there are takes or not in the white house
3:55 pm
conversation. >> gloria, i did not -- it did not occur to me, i hope there are. and i will consent to the release. >> both of you are in the same findings here, you both hope that there are tapes and recordings. both of you are in the same findings here. you both hope that there are tapes and recordings. >> all i can do is hope, the president knows if he taped me. and my feelings are not hurt, release all of the tapes. >> bret: but we see tapes? >> no, i cannot imagine it. he knows that they're not tapes, he is being disingenuous right there. but think about this from president trump's perspective, he comes into washington on this campaign making all of these promises, and he has been here for a couple of months, all he hears is about russia and how -- you know, i just think at the end of the day that people do not care about the details. and it is not going to hurt him. >> bret: when we come back, a lighthearted moment from a tense
3:56 pm
day on the capital. ♪ ed a spot. so when it comes to pain relievers, why put up with just part of a day? aleve, live whole not part. you want this color over the whole house? what's the best way to get v8 or a fancy juice store?s? ready, go! hi, juice universe? one large rutabaga, with eggplant... done! that's not fair. glad i had a v8. the original way to fuel your day. if you then you'll know howuth, uncomfortable it can be. but did you know that the lack of saliva can also lead to tooth decay and bad breath? well, there is biotene, specially formulated with moisturizers and lubricants... biotene can provide soothing relief and it helps keep your mouth healthy too. biotene, for people who suffer from a dry mouth.
3:57 pm
you didn't know we had over 26,000 local activities listed on our app. or that you could book them right from your phone. a few weeks ago, you still didn't know if you were gonna go. now the only thing you don't know, is why it took you so long to come here. expedia. everything in one place, so you can travel the world better. gave us the power to turn this enemy into an ally? microsoft and its partners are using smart traps to capture mosquitoes and sequence their dna to fight disease. there are over 100 million pieces of dna in every sample. with the microsoft cloud, we can analyze the data faster than ever before. if we can detect new viruses before they spread, we may someday prevent outbreaks before they begin.
3:58 pm
it's ok that everybody ignoit's fine.n i drive. because i get a safe driving bonus check every six months i'm accident free. because i don't use my cellphone when i'm driving. even though my family does, and leaves me all alone. here's something else... i don't share it with mom. i don't. right, mom? i have a brand new putter you don't even know about! it's awesome. safe driving bonus checks, only from allstate. sometimes i leave the seat up on purpose. switching to allstate is worth it.
3:59 pm
♪ >> bret: tonight the day's news focused on a series of committees hearings with serious charges. but there were moments of levity. including when the former fbi director noted his more open schedule. >> director coming, i want to thank you. you are now a private citizen, and you are entering the intelligence hearing, and each of us get 7 minutes instead of five to ask you questions. so thank you. >> i am between opportunities now. so... >> well, i'm sure that you will have future opportunities. >> bret: between opportunities, thank you for inviting us into your home tonight. that is it for this "special report with bret baier," but we are not done yet. we will bring you a brand-new hour of special news from the u.k. elections, and possibly a big upside there. more reaction to the comey testimony.
4:00 pm
let's make sure that you join us for another hour. fair, balanced, and unafraid. the "the story with martha maccs of reaction today. ♪ >> martha: breaking tonight, the u.k. election polls are indicating a shocking development for british prime minister theresa may, the conservative party. her party could lose if parliamentary majority is confirmed. it would be a huge blow for prime minister who called the snap election in april and the whole idea was that she would pick up an even greater majority heading into the brexit future for the united kingdom. it could trigger a hung parliament, which could plunge the united kingdom into political uncertainty during a time when they have too much of that already. the news of this example information has sent the british