Skip to main content

tv   Americas News HQ  FOX News  June 16, 2017 11:00am-12:01pm PDT

11:00 am
luis buried his grief in his great love of music, he began playing the violin so brilliantly and beautifully. soon the regime saw his incredible gift and wanted to use him for propaganda purposes. when he was 12, they organized a national television special and demanded he play a >> president trump: to fetch louise from his home, but he refused to go, and a few days later, castro barged into his practice area, guns blazing. they told him to play for them, terrified, luiz began to play,
11:01 am
and the entire room was amazed by what they heard. ringing out from the trembling boys a violin was a tune they all recognized. this young cuban boy was playing "the star-spangled banner" ." [applause] luiz played the american national anthem all the way through, and when he finished, the room was dead silent. when we say that america stands as a symbol to the world, a symbol of freedom, and a symbol
11:02 am
of hope, that is what luiz meant, and that is what luiz played that day. it was a big day, it was a great day, and that is what we will all remain. that was a very important moment, just like this is now in cuba. a very important moment. [applause] >> america will always stand for liberty, and america will always pray and cheer for the freedom of the cuban people. now that little boy, whose story i just told you, the one who played that violin so beautifully so many years ago, is here with us today in our very, very packed and extremely
11:03 am
warm up port authority. of course, he is no longer a little boy, but a world-renowned violinist and conductor, one of the greatest. and today he will once again play his violin and fill the hearts of all who love and cherish cuba, the united states, and freedom. i would like now to invite luiz to the stage. luiz. [cheers and applause] ♪
11:04 am
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
11:05 am
[cheers and applause] >> president trump: thank you, luiz. so when were you more nervous, today or then? he says honestly i think today. thank you, luiz, that was beautiful. so i want to thank miami, i want to thank little havana, have not, we love it, would you live anywhere else? you wouldn't move to palm beach? no. little havana. and i want to thank all of you,
11:06 am
our great friends here today. you've been amazing, loyal, beautiful people. and thank you. don't remind me. actually i was telling mike so it was two days to a big day which turned out to be tomorrow, that was the day i came down with melania on the escalator at trump tower, that's tomorrow. so it's exactly tomorrow, two years since we announced. and it worked out okay. it worked out okay. it's a great honor, believe me, it's a great honor, right? [cheers and applause] >> president trump: thank you. i thank you very much. i just want to end by saying may
11:07 am
god bless everyone searching for freedom, may god bless cuba. may god bless the united states of america. and god bless you all. thank you. now i'm going to sign. thank you. >> president trump, wrapping up a major feat in miami, rolling back president obama's policy on cuba relations. hello everyone, i'm melissa francis. obama signed an executive order in 2014 to open u.s. trade and travel to the country, now mr. trump is taking steps to reverse some of those policies. >> president trump: we will not be silent in the face of communist oppression any longer. you have seen the truth.
11:08 am
you have spoken the truth, and the truth has now called us, this group, called us to action. >> melissa: kevin is live in miami with more on this one. kevin. >> i've got to tell you, it was a dramatic speech, you heard the resident say emphatically he was going to do away with the obama era cuba policy, if you look inside for details, you can tell it is actually more of a modification then a complete redo, but the passion was no less evident as you see the president over my shoulder, actually now signing what he is considering a better policy for the cuba policy. keep this in mind, it is one thing to really reach out and hope that the u.s. and citizens here can reach out to the people of cuba, but it is something else to actually put into action. he saw that with president obama, president trump thinks that he has a better solution, and he said as much not very long ago.
11:09 am
>> president trump: therefore, effective immediately, i am canceling the last administrations completely one sided deal with cuba. >> as the president pointed out quite aptly, it is rather warm in here and certainly passionate. i want to share something. i saw probably as many as 25 or 30 people that had to be at least in their 80s, maybe even 90s, come into this auditorium. this is an amazing moment for them because this represents a lot more than simply policy from 1600 pennsylvania avenue. this represents a major strategic change in the way that our country reaches out to the people, both cuban-americans here, but most certainly the people of cuba themselves. back to you. >> melissa: all right, thank you so much for that. a joining me now for more on all of this is dr. rebecca,
11:10 am
independent research and national security and military analyst. and we have former republican florida senator , housing urban development secretary, thank you both for joining us. dr. grant, i will start with yo you. they call it a rollback it, but there are some things that are going to stay in place. the u.s. embassy will remain in havana, you can still buy cigars and rum, what do you make of this? >> exactly. so some are saying that the embassies are staying open, but melissa, what i heard here is this is a real strategic thing, national security has been a big part of this, don't forget cuba flaunts its friendship with north korea. the president, the cubans have been caught shipping arms, they will recognize the south, so there is a big national security deal here. president trump just does not want to continue to support the dictatorship in any way whatsoever. >> melissa: yeah. senator martinez, the talk is
11:11 am
that this is about not putting money into the hands of the oppressive government, that there is going to be regulations on transactions, cuban intelligence and security services, tightening of individual travel, but also restrictions on commerce with the cuban government. does that make sense? >> well, look, i think that we have a complete rewrite which would not have been the right thing to do, keeping the diplomacy open, invite the cubans to the table to negotiat negotiate, would have been a deal on some level of compromis compromise, unlike a unilateral sort of agreement to that we reach with them before by the united states giving and on every issue. so i think it strikes a fair balance, i think it's important that we maintain some of the business links that have been developed, that we particularly focus them and those opportunities that arise with people as opposed to the oppressive regime, which is
11:12 am
benefiting under the current situation. so i think a good balance has been struck, i think it's going to open up some opportunities, but by the way, for too long, we hear about the people of miami are profiting, when you see the story about the violinist, this is about a lot more than you know some company 50 years ago. who cares about that? that's important, but the real important thing is human freedom and the people of cuba to have the dignity to live in a place that serves their human rights. >> melissa: the argument against what president obama did is the distance of relief that were then thrown back in jail as soon as president obama left the country. they also say that once you do business with whoever is in charge and cuba, whether it is military, once they start to get that money and you take it away, it provides more of an incentive now to re-normalize relations,
11:13 am
maybe we have a better position now, what do you think? >> well i think the intent of this change in status is to get the smaller businesses. rubio, the president talk about that, so we really want to get back to that principle of human freedom. we want to help those small businesses and not necessarily just funnel everything into the others. you know, the control of the container shipping port against the russian oil port, it's a mess, so we really need to look at that, i think that is a fair balance that they are trying to strike. we all want to see human freedom go forward. >> melissa: senator martinez, people make the argument that you want to outsource democracy, want to give them a taste of american goods, what it is like to be free so that the people are more empowered and they want to overthrow the oppressive regime that all of these years have tried to isolate them, what you say against that? >> well, i think that the fact is that giving people the opportunity to have a better
11:14 am
life, i don't think it's about an overthrow because the regime that they have in place is not going to be overthrown by demonstrators, but in terms of human rights, it is encouraging the cuban government to understand that their current regime and current system simply does not work. countless numbers of american businesses who have tried to go to cuba to do business, but they find the environment to be unwelcoming. there is no system of organized concentration, there is no way of employing humans directly, you have to employ them to the human government, they have two currencies, it does not invite investment, the dollars can gravitate to many different places, they are seeking an environment that is welcoming, not one has varied difficult place. >> melissa: it will certainly be interesting to see what happens here. thanks to both of you. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> melissa: rex tiller's and
11:15 am
despite overwhelming support and they sent senate, what is the secretary's objection? >> well, melissa, the secretary have it hit a low point, has told two congressional committees this week that he wants maximum flexibility in dealing with russia. the bill that passed in the senate this week would hamper the trumps administration's sanctions russia. tiller's tillerson argues against that because he has engaged in discussions with russia. >> i think what we would like is the flexibility to turn that heat up when we sense that our efforts with russia whether it be in syria, we have engagements that they have asked for us to engage with them on ukraine's, so we have some channels that are open where we are starting to talk to, and i think what i wouldn't want to deal is closely channels off. >> one congressional aid said
11:16 am
that the intent here was to essentially establish guardrail guardrails, the trumpet administration would maintain a robust regime and a robust posture against the putin regime in russia, that is something that has gone bipartisan support. soon thank you so much for that. so it is the end of the road for two escaped inmates, how the brave actions of two home owners helped police put the collar on them after an intense manhunt. ends the war in afghanistan now in its 16th year, with no end in sight. a new details on the pentagon's plan for that country's future and why they are not staying they are sending troops right now. you don't let anything keep you sidelined. that's why you drink ensure. with 9 grams of protein and 26 vitamins and minerals. for the strength and energy to get back to doing...
11:17 am
...what you love. ensure. always be you. ♪ to err is human. to anticipate is lexus. experience the lexus rx with advanced safety standard. experience amazing. [ bell rings come close, come close. [ moans ] when your pain reliever stops working, your whole day stops.
11:18 am
awww. try this. for minor arthritis pain, only aleve can stop pain for up to 12 straight hours with just one pill. thank you. [ upbeat music playing ] you can't quit, neither should your pain reliever. stay all day strong with 12 hour aleve. check this sunday's paper for extra savings on products from aleve. it's ok that everybody ignoit's fine.n i drive. because i get a safe driving bonus check every six months i'm accident free. because i don't use my cellphone when i'm driving. even though my family does, and leaves me all alone. here's something else... i don't share it with mom. i don't. right, mom? i have a brand new putter you don't even know about! it's awesome. safe driving bonus checks, only from allstate. sometimes i leave the seat up on purpose. switching to allstate is worth it.
11:19 am
11:20 am
>> melissa: the fbi is now digging into the background of an illinois man who opened fire at a congressional baseball practice in virginia, wounding five people including house majority whip, steve scalise. we are live in washington, and catherine, what is the latest in the investigation into the shooter? >> well, melissa, we are hearing from the suspects wife for the first time, holding an impromptu news conference outside the family home in belleville illinois, he came to washington to work on tax policy, and asking for privacy. >> i can't believe he did this. i can't believe it. i just want us all to go away and leave my neighbors and peace. they don't deserve this. i don't deserve this, my daughters don't deserve all thi this. >> after he opened fire on republican lawmakers at a
11:21 am
congressional baseball practice in virginia, the fbi posted this flyer, asking for information, and they also did a review of his social media that showed us as we been widely reporting that james hodgkinson was upset about tax policy and railing against republicans, the fbi has now confirmed that they are wrapped up the trace on the weapons that were found at the scene, and there is no evidence to suggest that 9-millimeter handgun or rifle were purchased illegally, melissa. >> melissa: so we know about the rantings on facebook and the like it, is not conclusive on motive? are they still looking into more specific modus? >> one of the developments is that after they searched his van, agents recovered a phone, a computer, as well as a camera, and agents are hopeful that digital forensic trail will reveal whether the shooting was premeditated or opportunistic. >> obviously, we are looking to
11:22 am
gleam what we can from the conscious regarding his electrical devices that he owned. law enforcement has been led to believe that the shooter has been living in alexandria, virginia, area, since march of this year. >> investigators remain unseen in alexandria, virginia, where the baseball diamond and that immediate area are a crime scene. agents are working on the ballistics evidence, and investigating the trajectory of the shots to reconstruct what exactly happened when the shots were fired. law enforcement is saying to us that the investigation is progressing, they have been looking at the evidence gathered so far, and everything suggest so far at least so far that he did act alone, melissa. >> melissa: catherine, thank you. a possible development in ground war in afghanistan, the white house is now pushing back on a report that says that the pentagon may be planning to send thousands more troops, so the
11:23 am
associated press reporting that about 4,000, no final number has been reached, they could add to the 8400 troops already in the field there, that is done from a high of 100,000 back in 2010. that war now going on 16 years. generating about 2400 u.s. casualties, earlier this week, secretary said that the decision by the obama meant administration to cut troops was misguided, sailing to crystal, reacting to this earlier. >> it may work it, it may not work. what we've got to decide at a national level concluding what is our objective? how much resolve do we have to prosecute that over the long term? because this isn't an 18 month or three year effort going forward. it's going to be longer than
11:24 am
that. >> melissa: joining us now is republican congressman, let's start with a report that we were seeing out of ap that we are now pushing back on. what do you make of that back-and-forth? >> welcome of white house hasn't they are going to send to afghanistan, but i think what the general said was true. we have to decide what our mission is and what our goal is, do we want to win, or do we want to back off and come home? but let's not have what we had with barack obama where you have this middle ground where you are having and have found, either we are going to send troops, send money, send resources, or we are going to pack up and bring our guys home, but melissa, what i appreciate from donald trump's he said he was going to crush ices. he was going to help us eradicate the threat of radical islamic threat, if you're going to do that, you have to engage, and you have to listen to your people on the ground. the general feels a little bad that he will take the device and
11:25 am
listen to him whereas barack obama was making choices that war is not listening to others. >> melissa: but if you drill on what you are talking about there, there are a lot of different terrace and a lot of different countries right now, there are so many different fronts for this war that continue to expand, is this one of the most important frontiers where we should be spending so much time in lives and everything else? >> we can't forget that it was in afghanistan where the plan for 9/11 was hatched, where bin laden was given sanctuary, . thank you for the correction. that's where he was from, we look at isis and the attack so they have had not only in the u.s. but across europe, so we have two very hot spots that we have to keep our fingers on, so i do think it is worth it, and i do think there is a significant
11:26 am
rest of the american people if we just walk away, i am proud that president trump is listening to his commanders and actually engaging to keep us safe. >> melissa: do you think it is realistic to think that if we engaged in a big way, the way that the present has talked about, if we really double and triple down on what we are doing that the timeline -- i guess it would be short enough that americans would feel like it is worth it? because what people are afraid of is getting entrenched in a war that has gone on and on and on, we are talking about 16 years already invested. >> i will tell you what from my own constituents, 16 years as a long time, the number of men and women that we have lost in the amount of that we have spent, but i do think that we saw under the bush administration, they were making good progress in afghanistan, and a lot of that progress was rolled back in the last eight years, i do think again if you have a good strategy and good commanders,
11:27 am
and a president who will listen to them and a congress that will fund them and give them the resources, i do think that this is a conflict that we can prevail at. it goes right to the heart of who we are as american citizens. >> melissa: sean duffy, thank you. so a tweet from the president causing some confusion. john roberts is here to clear up the development in the russia investigation. plus the jury is in its fifth day of deliberation, why the comedian's defense team is calling for a mistrial. our rate. maybe you should've done more research on them. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. liberty mutual insurance.
11:28 am
people would ask me that we traveled,ntries what is your nationality and i would always answer hispanic. so when i got my ancestry dna results it was a shocker. i'm from all nations. it puts a hunger in your heart to want to know more.
11:29 am
♪ the sun'll come out for people with heart failure, tomorrow is not a given. but entresto is a medicine that helps make more tomorrows possible. ♪ tomorrow, tomorrow... ♪ i love ya, tomorrow in the largest heart failure study ever, entresto helped more people stay alive and out of the hospital than a leading heart failure medicine. women who are pregnant must not take entresto. it can cause harm or death to an unborn baby. don't take entresto with an ace inhibitor or aliskiren. if you've had angioedema while taking an ace or arb medicine, don't take entresto. the most serious side effects are angioedema, low blood pressure... ...kidney problems, or high potassium in your blood.
11:30 am
♪ tomorrow, tomorrow i love ya, tomorrow ♪ ask your heart doctor about entresto. and help make tomorrow possible. ♪ you're only a day away. "america" by simon and garfun [ snoring ]ental) [ deep sleep snoring ] the all-new volkswagen atlas. seats seven, sleeps six. life's as big as you make it.
11:31 am
>> melissa: a fox news alerts, with questions about one of the main players in the russia investigation, and whether he could recuse himself from the probe, deputy attorney general, rod rosenstein is in charge of overseeing special counsel robert muller, but now there is speculation that he could become part of the investigation himself because of his role in firing coming, john roberts' life from the white house to explain everyone's involvement in this case, one way or another, but probably you are involved too. >> come what a tangled web. the only involvement i have is i
11:32 am
am reporting on it. that's it. full stop. the latest target is attorney general rod rosenstein, who appointed of mueller after comey was fired, released that memo about the details of his meeting with president trump, the president tweeted this morning "i am being investigated for firing be directed by the man who told me to fire the director. witch hunts" remember, he recommended that he fire james call me, you mentioned this that mueller is investigating the case, but rosenstein is in fact in charge of the investigation because miller reports to him. and the president is pointing out what he sees as a hypocrisy of him being investigated potentially for something that rosenstein had recommended. the department of justice in the meantime pushing back a report that rosenstein is considering
11:33 am
recusing himself from the russia investigation, saying he would potentially consider that, if the investigation turns its attention towards him. there is no indication it has. spokesmen telling fox news "as he has said multiple times, if there comes a point when he needs to recuse, he will, however, nothing has changed." the president is also taking what he believes is a lack of finding in an investigation that has already gone on the sins back at the beginning of november, tweeting out this morning "after seven months of investigation and committee hearings about my collusion with the russians, no one has been able to show any proof. sad." sources spoke to jared kushner in the meantime, that the special counsel is looking into his business dealings with russia, the source telling fox news we do not know what this report refers to. it would be standard practice for the special counsel to examine his records to look for
11:34 am
anything related to russia. he had volunteered to share with congress what he knows, if he is contacted in connection with any other inquiry, suggested again -- not really a suggestion as he read between the lines there. it means that anyone associated with kushner has not been contacted by the fbi for discussion counsel. a couple other things to point out in the middle of all this. when the president says i am being investigated or my collusion with the russians, he is not acknowledging, not confirming that he is under investigation. or that there is collusion with the russians, he is simply restating what has been reported. that is what i am being told. >> melissa: yes, i hear you. a lot of people were jumping to that other conclusion there, john roberts, so thank you very much for clearing that up. we appreciate your reporting. the assault trial, jurors
11:35 am
deliberate for the fifth day, asking the judge a key question as well as reviewing the actors 2006 deposition testimony, with the panel attempting to break a deadlock. senior correspondent rick is outside of the montgomery county courthouse in norristown, pennsylvania. what is the latest? >> melissa, deliberations have not lasted almost as long as the trial itself. 44 hours and counting, worked late into the night, and from 9:00 a.m. until after 9:00 p.m. every day since, the 44 hours have believed to be a record here at the jury here at the courthouse, at least eight times they have interrupted with questions for the judge, and a warning to the judge, warning that they were deadlocked. the judge told him to go back to work it, and they have with more questions today, the accuser, andrea, and her mother, who spoke to cosby on the phone after the alleged incident in
11:36 am
2004, once the comedian offered a financial help to andrea, and apologize for his behavior, admitting that he gave her pills, but never saying specifically what they were. they also asked for clarification on what reasonable doubt means. they have repeatedly asked for a mistrial, again today citing the deliberations, adding to that a short time ago. >> the jury is still actively deliberating. there is no reason -- well, more importantly -- there is nothing that has been cited to the court in support of terminating a trial while a jury is actively deliberating. >> bill cosby facing up to ten years in prison on any one of the three counts against him, melissa. >> melissa: all right, was there any indication that we are closer to a verdict here? >> well, you know it depends on who you ask, observers say that
11:37 am
the defense looks a little nervous because the jury keeps asking for the particular testimony, they haven't complained about being deadlock since yesterday morning, so perhaps they're getting closer to a verdict, and they can return a verdict on any one of those three counts, and that would be okay with the judge, by the way, if they don't reach a verdict today, and keep deliberating, they will be back here again on saturday. >> melissa: well, on saturday. we assumed it was monday, but on saturday, wow. thank you so much for reporting, we appreciate it. let's bring an attorney john, i want to start with the cosby case, because we're talking about that right there. i mean that is interesting. so they haven't said in the last 24 hours that they are deadlocked, since they were sent back, and they keep asking for different testimony, rick saying it is starting to make the defense a little nervous. what do you make of that? >> it probably should make them a little nervous, the way that i am reading these tea leaves is that this was a case of she said, he said, only a little bit
11:38 am
different because the he said was an actual testimony from the cosby, it was from deposition testimony many years ago. if the jury cannot come to a conclusion, it tells me that one or more don't believe the accuser. that is the only reason why they would be unable to come to a verdict at this point. >> melissa: so remind me, some of the history of this is really interesting because the accuser, so she settled before, right? she wasn't supposed to say anything, how did we get this testimony? how did we get here? >> right, so the shelf life of this case is very interesting because number one, it is over a dozen years old, number two, the criminal case was never supposed to see the light of day for two reasons. number one, she settled the sibley way back on, and number two, it was brought by the district attorney on the cusp of the statute of limitations running out, only because that deposition in a civil suit wasn't disclosed when it never was supposed to be. you have to remember that
11:39 am
regardless of what you think about bill cosby, when he gave a deposition, he did so under the understanding, the legal understanding, that this was a civil suit, and it was never going to be used against him in any sort of case, because it was going to be sealed, and that went wrong. >> melissa: and that's amazing. it really does send a chill through the legal session going forward. do you think he is right, that he was sure this is never going to see the light of day, and then it does, and that has become a real issue. all of the people watching this thought this was a slam dunk, we have seen so many people come forward against him, this woman, in the past she refused a settlement, everything was looking towards a slam dunk, what has happened? >> what has happened is nothing is ever a slam dunk when you have 12 people deciding the fate of somebody that they've never meant. in this case, what i found really spectacular is that's bill cosby's defense was all of 6 minutes long. i think it was a tough call not
11:40 am
to put him on the stand because the jury is hearing what he said 12 years ago without getting his current perspective. now i think that that may be -- if they come back, if they reach a verdict, that may be where the mistake lives. >> melissa: opened the door to bring everything in, saying that he never behave this way or something like that, that would open the door to bring all of the other accusers and, that is what i heard about why they kept him off. >> that would be one possibility. you have to be very capable with what you say on the stand. >> melissa: thank you so much for coming in. after the shooting of a congressman, a rare moment of unity in washington. that moment of peace, though, seems like it may already be passing. >> we don't want to live in a police state because we can't get control of people. this is a call for leaders to do more [customer] yeah, hi. i don't have my debit card
11:41 am
and these kids are having a bake sale for their soccer team so i need some cash. can i give you my mother's maiden name or my first concert or - [team member] oh, well, now you can just use your phone. [customer] my phone? [team member] yeah, just open the wells fargo mobile app and request a one-time access code. [customer] that's way better. all set. thanks. they have snickerdoodles! [team member whispers] i love snickerdoodles. [customer] thanks!
11:42 am
ready or not, here i come.ek.) ♪ anyone can dream. making it a reality is the hard part. northrop grumman command and control systems always let you see the complete picture. and we're looking for a few dreamers to join us.
11:43 am
11:44 am
it's >> doctors at the hospital in washington, d.c., are just a few minutes away we are told from holding a news conference at the top of the hour on the condition of house majority whip steve scalise, he and several others were shocked, aimed at, taken down if you will at a baseball game this week. sources have been telling fox news today that scalise is doing slightly better. the head of trauma will handle this to tell us the latest on his condition, which is still listed in critical. we will bring you the news from the news conference live as it happened when i anchor shepard's misreporting. >> melissa: so amazon is swallowing whole foods well, hold. the making an announcement to buy the upscale grocery chain, the deal worth nearly $14 billion. it is a whopper, my friends. as amazon leaps into the off-line world of brick-and-mortar.
11:45 am
they are under pressure amid falling sales, as the retail chain battles e-commerce. the rest of the grocery sector compounded with this representing a major threat for the food industry. really interesting. the democrats claiming victory on the baseball field and last night's highly anticipated congressional baseball game. look at them there. there was a glimmer of unity between the two parties, and off the field two days after the shooting in alexandria, just when you thought things might be a little more civil, the house minority leader was asked about the political rhetoric. >> i think that the comments made by the republican are outrageous. the dignity of the job that they hold, the respect that we would like congress to command, how dare they say such a thing. how dare they.
11:46 am
>> melissa: i mean, what was that like a day? here is what one of the presidents counselors had to say about last night's game. >> i was there at the game last night, the beginning, and there was a feeling of unity and healing, i think that was brought about by our leader, president donald trump, he is being a healer in chief, he has been just remarkably wonderful to the entire country, calling for unity. >> melissa: all right, so how long is all this going to last? payton is a staff writer at the federalist, fox news contributor, and radio talk show host, thanks to both of you for joining us. what do you think? i mean on the one hand, i don't trust politicians to behave themselves, ever. they don't have a good track record. on the other hand, it is much more sobering to actually be there and have this happen to one of your colleagues than it was like all of us, even though we know people involved, but she watched on tv, and had to be so much different for all of them.
11:47 am
maybe it will have an impact on some, what is your thought? >> yeah, i was at the congressional baseball game last night, and it was really amazing to see a lot of individuals both on and off the field on the democratic side in the republican side, all in their shirts and gear, scalise is fight for survival, i think that we are starting to feel a lot of that chip away, and i think even nancy pelosi's remarks indicate that, the end of niceties, and i also think that it is funny to listen to her complain about individuals politicizing this tragedy like this one, when democrats are really the ones who wrote that playbook. >> melissa: health, i've to stop you, because we are not going to do that. not in the segment, at least. richard, we could shame the people that go out and do this, and we could turn over a new leaf, when somebody goes out and really attacks the other side on the basis of personality as
11:48 am
opposed to policy or legitimate things, obviously we are really set up to discuss the issues, we could try to shame them, what do you think? >> listen, we've got to do this, we can disagree on policy all we want, but i think what pelosi was saying is that the reason why scalise and these republican members were engaged, the gunmen acted because of democratic rhetoric or that they are saying that the reason why this happened is because a republican read it, that is what is problematic. >> melissa: that's what she was doing herself. >> no, she was condemning republicans for blaming democrats for the sloan gun shooting. the republican members who came out and said that it is because a far left rhetoric that we have this problem, it is not far left rhetoric or far right rhetoric, it is because people have access to killing weapons. what we have got to do in this country is it a listen, we can disagree on policy, but what connects us all is that we want to strengthen our democracy, we
11:49 am
want to perfect our union, and more portly, we want to -- >> melissa: did you see what richard did there? he snuck his dig into. that is the nature of how we do our business, we get criticized for it, everybody gets criticized for, do you have to stick your little dig in there? because that's what politics is, or is there an opportunity -- maybe is not, maybe this is just the way it is? what do you think? >> no, i think there is an opportunity certainly, i think it is very clear that this individual acted of his own accord, and i think it is terribly unfair and obviously blatantly false to blame democrats or bernie sanders or anyone, for this individual's actions, and i think that's that standard should apply to both the left in the right. >> melissa: richard, do you think that you could get out there and say something like this happened because we need stricter gun laws or we need for your guns? you make points with anybody you
11:50 am
know who didn't already think that, or do you just kind of shut down the conversation? >> well, what difference does it make, melissa, if he was a democrat or a republican? the fact that he had access to killing weapons -- and i'm not saying that we should -- >> melissa: no, you just knock and the weapons thing again. do you think that you win over anybody new in the argument when you say the problem is that he has access to these killing weapons? do you think you got anybody knew there with that comment? do you think that people get annoyed and kind of throw something at the television? >> well, i want to finish the point, we heard yesterday, from speaker ryan and leader pelosi, they are going to come together and form a committee to work on possible solutions. it doesn't mean we are doing gun control or bashing the nra, it could be a democratic solution or a republican solution. >> melissa: we are getting run over by a commercial. thanks to both of you.
11:51 am
so if you saw the tsa pat down, get ready to turn over your fingerprints to a government database, that technology may be at an airport near you. just like the people who own them, every business is different. but every one of those businesses will need legal help as they age and grow. whether it be help starting your business, vendor contracts or employment agreements. legalzoom's network of attorneys can help you every step of the way so you can focus on what you do. we'll handle the legal stuff that comes up along the way. legalzoom. legal help is here. i wiwhat are you doingake care oftomorrow - 10am?ut... staff meeting. 3:45? tai chi. 6:30? sam's baseball practice. you are busy. wouldn't it be great if you had investmensts that worked as hard as you do? yeah. essential portfolios. the automated investing solution.
11:52 am
11:53 am
11:54 am
>> melissa: so the tsa unveiling to new technologies for airport checkpoints, one could bring an end to all of the liquid and laptop screening. another could let you board your plane with a fingerprints. a chief correspondent jonathan has more. so what is the first part of this? the carrion scanning technology, tell us about that first. >> it is designed it to make us a safer and speed up the screening process, it is a high-tech high definition scanner, you can use it, currently being tested at
11:55 am
phoenix international airport, it will be tested in boston as well later this month. of the ct scanners made by different companies are also likely to be tested later in the year, the technology is similar to what we currently use to inspect checked luggage, they tend to send hundreds of images to an x-ray camera, giving screeners a 3d picture of a carry-on bag and its contents, using algorithms to detect explosives, firearms, and other prohibited items. it could speed up the screening by reducing or even eliminating the need for repeat trips through the x-ray machine and the secondary screens we are all familiar with. currently, we have to remove laptops from bags for screening, now this comes in the wake of the u.s. of banning in carry-on luggage is on flights
11:56 am
originating from ten international airports, particularly the middle east, and extending the ban to a further 71 airports, the second technology is fingerprint technology, tsa officials have long been interested in the sort of thing, and they are currently testing it in the prechecked lands in atlanta and denver. getting mixed reactions from flyers, who like the security aspects, but also worry about privacy issues. >> i mean, if you want to put your finger printed down, that's on you. >> i'm okay with it. >> i would want to know what sort of records they keep on all of that. there is so much surveillance already. >> there is certainly a lot of surveillance already, but the ultimate goal in all of this, melissa, is of course keeping those of us who fly as safe as possible. melissa. >> melissa: it cool. thank you, jonathan. so we are just moments away from an update on house majority whip, steve scalise, who remains in critical condition after going through several surgeries, we are going to bring that to
11:57 am
you live, just as soon as it starts. ecause of a claim. i totally could've - no! switching to allstate is worth it.
11:58 am
ykeep you sidelined.ng that's why you drink ensure. with 9 grams of protein and 26 vitamins and minerals. for the strength and energy to get back to doing... ...what you love. ensure. always be you.
11:59 am
12:00 pm
>> well, thank you so much for joining us. i'm melissa francis. up next, it's harris faulkner in for shep. >> and we begin with breaking news. we're moments away from an update on the condition of congressman steve scalise, critically wounded in the baseball game ambush. we'll hear from his doctor live. we're now hearing for the first time from the window of the man that opened fire at the baseball field. >> you know, i just don't know what to tell you people. i had no idea that this was going to happen. >> also, president trump is lashing out on twitter calling the russia investigation a witch hunt. saying there's no proof of collusion. he's taking aim at the justice department official that appointed a special prosecutor and the trump transition team

117 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on