Skip to main content

tv   The Journal Editorial Report  FOX News  July 8, 2017 12:00pm-1:00pm PDT

12:00 pm
>> welcome to "the journal editorial report", i am paul gigot. the trump administration is weighing options for its response to north korea's military action after the rogue nation launceston intercontinental listed missile capable of reaching alaska. united nations ambassador nikki haley says the united states is also focusing on any nation that works with the north. >> in order to move north korea off the military escalation, we must do more. we will not look exclusively at north korea. we will look at any country
12:01 pm
that chooses to do business with this outlaw regime. we will not have patience for stalling or a watered-down resolution. >> john bolton is a former us ambassador to the united nations and fox news contributor. ambassador, welcome back good to see you. >> glad to be with you. >> let's talk about north korea could you have written this week that you think relying on china to help is a fools errand. why? >> right. i think the premise of efforts to negotiate with and pressure north korea over the years have been grounded on the notion that you could change the behavior of the regime. adding pressure to china to increase their pressure on north korea to change (behavior falls to the same reason. the north koreans see a deliverable nuclear weapons capability as essential to regime survival. the ability to project power and quite frankly to sell or read that technology to
12:02 pm
countries like iran and even terrorist groups. >> right, but china is basically north korea's patron. i mean, if china weren't assisting in doing business and buying its minerals and buying at school and selling it you know goods and needs, north korea could not survive. so why not put pressure on china to say look, this is not your national interest here. you don't want a nuclear, north korea that is not helping you. >> china's economic connections north korea is unquestionably essential to the north regime survival. that is why my approach would be to convince china it is in their interest to merge the two to reunite them. but consider the arguments of that putting pressure on china to put pressure on north korea. we are going to name some chinese banks, individuals, these never work because once you name the a, b, c corporation, amazingly the x, y and z corporation springs up to do business.
12:03 pm
if you want to put pressure on china you have got to put big pressure on a big economy. are we willing to cut off access to the american market to all chinese banks to get their attention? that is where the idea breaks down. >> you think that you have to be that extensive in your sanctions to be able to really put pressure on china. it looks to me like maybe donald trump could be willing to do that. he is obviously raised objections to chinese trade and the trade deficit that we have with china. they are talking now about beginning with tariffs on steel as early as next week.chinese steel. what do you think, how effective would that kind of economic pressure be on china? >> i don't think it would be terribly effective as regards north korea. i could see a top administration imposing those kinds of sanctions on china for
12:04 pm
purposes of trade negotiation leverage. i can easily see that. and i do think donald trump really, if you focus down on key issues for him, nuclear weapons programs of north korea and iran are two issues very central to his illustration. i think he is fully prepared to be tougher than the obama administration, the george w. bush administration or the bill clinton administration. the issue is how much pressure do you need to put on china? i don't think when he listens to his economic advisor that it would be enough. that is why i think this premise that we are, all of these actions are intended to change the three ingredients ultimately fail. i think you need to change - quest you need to change the regime, how do you do that? barbara joseph as a colleague of yours.he talked about a comprehensive strategy in the precisely that. so you ramp up the proliferation initiative, he stopped them from selling gears or being able to get goods in for the nuclear program. you start to spread the real
12:05 pm
truth of the north korean people. from the south and elsewhere to try and maybe develop some opposition inside north korea. and you really squeeze their cash flow. although it is harder to do that entirely because of china. what else would you need to do? >> started by. i will do all that we need to do fundamentally is persuade china. contrary to the policy that they pursued for many years that it is in their best interest ultimately to reunite the two koreas and eliminate the north korean nuclear weapons program. the fact is that they don't want korea with nuclear weapons. why? not because they are a potential target but because ultimately they feared japan will get nuclear weapons. and that is a real threat to china. >> but then if china does not come around and see it that way then you have to basic, do you have to do something as radical as a, tell japan maybe you do need your own nuclear deterrent?
12:06 pm
>> i do not believe that is the way to go. they could simply encourage a much wider nuclear arms race worldwide. i think it really is in china today, there is a debate among the older leadership and the younger leadership.their relative terms in china. the younger chinese leaders i think by and large see north korea is a pretty ugly piece of baggage. there is a way to make a deal here. the chinese concerns we have feared american troops. we do not want to be on the river. we want to get the southern tip of the peninsula. and here is the main point for china i think. at some stage, north korea will be threatening enough that an american president will really have to consider the use of military force. and if that happens there could be chaos on the peninsula. that has to be to china's disadvantage peers are china, you can do this the easy way. to do this the hard way. >> but then you have to be able to show that you are willing to use military force or otherwise it will be, we will end up with
12:07 pm
acquiescing to the north korean nuclear threat. >> that is right. and look, if you read the media today, some academic publications in the country, people are already being prepared to accept a nuclear north korea. i will not accept a nuclear north korea. i accept and understand the danger to the south korean peninsula. but donald trump is not president of south korea. he is president of the united states and i am not willing to risk an erratic communistic dictatorship with nuclear weapons training our civilians are those in other countries in hopes that they won't lose their way. >> okay thank you ambassador. we dig deeper into the diplomacy surrounding the north korea troubles. what can the president do and what roles will his adversaries and allies play? our panel joins us, next.
12:08 pm
mawhen it comes to helping. her daughter, shopping for groceries, unclogging the sink, setting up dentist appointments and planning birthday parties, nobody does it better. she's also in a rock band. look at her shred. but when it comes to mortgages, she's less confident. fortunately for maria, there's rocket mortgage by quicken loans. it's simple, so she can understand the details and be sure she's getting the right mortgage. apply simply. understand fully. mortgage confidently.
12:09 pm
with my moderate to severe crohn's disease,... ...i kept looking for ways to manage my symptoms. i thought i was doing okay... then it hit me... ...managing was all i was doing. when i told my doctor,... ...i learned humira is for people who still have symptoms of moderate to severe crohn's disease... ...even after trying other medications. in clinical studies,... the majority of people on humira... saw significant symptom relief... ...and many achieved remission. humira can lower your ability... ...to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened;... ...as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where... ...certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb,... ...hepatitis b, are prone to infections,... ...or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. just managing your symptoms? ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, remission is possible.
12:10 pm
fixodent plus adhesives. there's a denture adhesive that holds strong until evening. just one application gives you superior hold even at the end of the day fixodent. strong more like natural teeth. >> president trump putting pressure on china to pull back its economic partnership with north korea. the president tweeting trade grew almost 40 percent of first quarter.
12:11 pm
so much for china working with us but we had to give it a try! so it is there room for negotiation? less as the wall street journal column is an editor dan henninger. mary kissel and columnist bill mcgurn. so dan, you heard ambassador bolden. do you share his urgency here and what do you think trump will do? >> i do share his urgency paul glad you know the question is, how have we arrived at this point of urgency? i mean you know that during the cold war between the united states and soviet union we had the nuclear standoff, there was a lot of serious thinking around the idea about deterrence i'm afraid after the cold war ended we start thinking about that subject and we have gone through several presidencies watching north korea filled his nuclear capability without any serious thought about how we would deter that. and as he was suggesting it is not does not 300 nuclear urged
12:12 pm
sheila about pete iran knows they are surely pursuing nuclear capabilities there is a possibility that terrorists get their hands on a small nuclear weapon and i think that the time has come to start recommissioning the sort of people who can think about actually deterring this convention wasn't made clear weapons. but you run the risk here. >> are you saying that as a first strike or as a deterrent in the korean peninsula? >> i'm saying put everything on the table. i'm not going to sit here and say we should do it first strike against software but i think he should think about doing it first strike and try to game out how that would work. >> so mary, you lived, worked in asia and you heard john say that he did not think that we should press her china but more persuade them that nuclear north korea is not in their interest to d.c. china coming around to that point of view? >> i think is a very difficult thing to achieve a lesser exhibit kind of pressure that ambassador bolden talked about. true regarding china's economy.
12:13 pm
putting sanctions on their five biggest banks.putting potentially trade restrictions on them and the question is, is the trump administration willing to exert that kind of damage on the us economy? there are not good options here. that might very well be a better option of the first strike that dan talked about. >> you worked in asia as augustine china. i've been to i don't know how many meetings, with the mess we talked about them and make the point about this not being a nuclear north korea, not in their interest and they would say no, we can't have chaos there. you know we cannot have a unified peninsula because it will be terrible. perhaps china really wants us out of northeast asia and maybe they think that north korea is the way to get us. >> china, for all of its growth has never been a leader in the way we have been hoping. to be a force for stability i
12:14 pm
think all of these things have to be on the table. it is not either or. it is not pressure banks or military strength. i would add - >> do you believe in tariffs on china? >> i am acting more inclined to revoke the student visas for children of the chinese communist party. you know the leader there, his daughter went to harvard. that is something, you would put a lot of american colleges out of business! [laughter] >> we are talking about something a commission seattle chicago and we have to communicate that we are serious. north korea has was been a problem. in 1950 a speech was given basically saying it is outside the perimeter. six months later, you know north korea invaded and 67 years later, we are not being threatened with missiles. it is a serious problem. and in addition to the nuclear problem that we have, we have a second problem. this is a guy that is akin to
12:15 pm
the suicide bomber willing to blow himself up in the process. that gives him unfortunately a lot of leverage. because almost any real choice that you click whether his china one north korea, there is pain with duck on the other side. >> what about this idea that is picking up steam that the ambassador mentioned? i have seen someone like - suggest that maybe we are moving towards acquiescence here. >> look, you have weapon. it is the price, is forcing you to get rid of it is too great but if you ever decide to use it you will be destroyed. that kind of deterrence from the cold war. >> yeah, that's right. it is just and acceptable. and again, i point out the possibility of the iranians getting nuclear capability. if iran were to say close to what north korea is able to do. and they dewberry have a sophisticated missile program. does anyone think that the israelis are going to sit there and simply allow a situation of acceptance to exist? it is inconceivable because i
12:16 pm
think the idea that we could acquiesce at this point is simply giving off. and we need a lot more intelligent thinking about what we can do to deter. getting to the point really have no option as i was suggesting other than a first-rate. you don't want to get to that point. we need a strategy now. >> i think it's also important to understand what north korea wants. north korea wants to conquer south korea. they want unilateral disarmament in the south and they want reunification on their terms. they think they are racially superior to the south koreans. this is their goal. a unification of the peninsula on their terms something we need also to think about. chris okay thank you. when we come back, congress on a tax bill as healthcare stalls in the senate. what this could mean for the larger prospect on tax reform.
12:17 pm
what if we pull customer insights from the data in real time? wait, our data center and our clouds can't connect? michael, can we get this data to...? look at me...look at me... look at me... you used to be the "yes" guy. what happened to that guy? legacy technology can handcuff any company. but "yes" is here. so, you're saying we can cut delivery time? yeah. with help from hpe, we can finally work the way we want to. with the right mix of hybrid it, everything computes. bburning of diabetic nerve pain these feet... jumped into city life as a kid... ...raised two rough and tumble boys... ...and kept my town moving. but i couldn't bear my diabetic nerve pain any longer. so i talked to my doctor
12:18 pm
and he prescribed lyrica. nerve damage from diabetes causes diabetic nerve pain. lyrica is fda approved to treat this pain. lyrica may cause serious allergic reactions or suicidal thoughts or actions. tell your doctor right away if you have these, new or worsening depression, or unusual changes in mood or behavior. or swelling, trouble breathing, rash, hives, blisters, muscle pain with fever, tired feeling or blurry vision. common side effects are dizziness, sleepiness, weight gain and swelling of hands, legs, and feet. don't drink alcohol while taking lyrica. don't drive or use machinery until you know how lyrica affects you. those who have had a drug or alcohol problem may be more likely to misuse lyrica. now i have less diabetic nerve pain. and i love keeping their little feet safe and sound. ask your doctor about lyrica. if you are eligible, you could pay as little as $25 dollars a month.
12:19 pm
hey you've gotta see this. cno.n. alright, see you down there. mmm, fine. okay, what do we got? okay, watch this. do the thing we talked about. what do we say? it's going to be great. watch. remember what we were just saying? go irish! see that? yes! i'm gonna just go back to doing what i was doing. find your awesome with the xfinity x1 voice remote. >> with the republican plan to
12:20 pm
repeal and replace obamacare stalling in the senate, congress is now focusing its attention on tax reform. something the secretary stephen nugent and house speaker paul ryan say will get done before years end. >> we are very committed and the tax reform to get it done this year is one of the president's top priorities for economic growth. i think the people of america understand that. we need economic growth and we are committed to doing that. i expect that healthcare hopefully will get done. but regardless, we are committed to getting tax reform done. >> we are going to get this done in 2017. but we will not wait for a path free of obstacles guess what? it doesn't exist! and we will not cast about for
12:21 pm
quick fixes and half measures. transformational tax reform can be done and we are moving ahead full speed ahead. >> we are back with daniel henninger and columnist bill mcgurn and columnist kimberly. it looks like, before we get to the separate tax reform let's talk about the tax portion of the healthcare bill. it looks like republicans in the senate are blinking on the repeal of a particular portion of the obamacare taxes. there's 3.8 percent surtax on investment income. >> rate. running instead of blinking. [laughter] >> you have guys like tennessee senator corker who have already come out and said look, i just think it is bad optics to be getting a tax break to the wealthiest in the country while we are cutting medicaid for the poor. of course, the problem here is that they said that they were going to repeal all the taxes. >> yeah, i don't remember him saying only some of the taxes
12:22 pm
will repeal. >> and this is considered one of the monster taxes because of course it is tax on investment income. so it is particularly bad. >> now tell me what that means. is it capital gains, dividends and interest come from your bank account for example. and it hits couples at $250,000 worth of income. now, a lot of people think that is a lot of money. i can tell you for a two-income family and a lot of places it isn't. >> yes for many people this is a tax on the middle class. and what you already say no, this could be something that derails the bill. i'm in the discussion. >> health so? because it they say to captain some conservatives might block? >> they are demanding they wanted money for opiate addiction and this is a bridge too far. you had people send a letter to
12:23 pm
orrin hatch who runs a finance committee saying no, this cannot happen. >> bill. >> i think the republicans have made a mistake from the beginning. >> only one? [laughter] >> this leaves you vulnerable to the same. giving breaks to the wealthy and hurting the poor. i think the big mistake they have made is not explaining what we want to replace medicaid. you know we want to give people a better deal. we don't want to return it to the pre-obamacare status. we want to make it better. and we have failed to do that, to say this isn't working for you. i think that we would see it later with the governors having flexibility to improve the program and so forth. but i think that has left them hostage because you see a/and on one part and giving breaks the other in a just fuels a very debilitating conversation. >> okay but on the politics of this and the optics, if republicans are basically - it
12:24 pm
is context, then do they think that they will say we will do this in tax reform? the democrats are going to make the same argument! even if you lose on this, what makes you think that you will win on the other one? >> it is very difficult to see how they went on the other one especially since they are making the democrats arguments for them. you're asking these people to paper other program for that is what they did with the 3.8 percent tax originally. the idea that it is a tax cut for the rich simply jumps over the fact that when obamacare was passed this left this capital gains tax on people making $250,000 to pay for it. that same argument just as your suggestion will roll forward into tax reform when the republicans start talking about cutting the corporate income tax or going to immediate expensing for new investments. they will be vulnerable again.
12:25 pm
>> paul, i would say this is a role for the president also he has been absent on this in the healthcare bill, if president trump given an oval office address and explained what we are trying to do on medicaid, to counter the democratic claims, i think that would have gone a long way on how we are fixing it. i think he would have the same credibility as a businessman to give the address on saying, corporate tax cuts as it is the way to make us more competitive and not give companies an incentive to go relocate in ireland and so forth. but he hasn't used that. i mean he's gone to rallies but he is not using on behalf of the two most important pieces of legislation. >> but realistically, this president i mean i agree totally with bill. he doesn't give speeches like that.>> no, he doesn't.but i think the republicans also need to understand, what credit do they get if they actually are going to go down this? is not externally democrats will say oh yeah, this is good. and you could even double the
12:26 pm
medicare tax and they would get credit. >> they might before it is over! >> where the white house stands with the kremlin following the highly anticipated beauty between president trump and vladimir putin. thanks for the ride around norfolk! and i just wanted to say, geico is proud to have served the military for over 75 years! roger that. captain's waiting to give you a tour of the wisconsin now. could've parked a little bit closer... it's gonna be dark by the time i get there. geico®. proudly serving the military for over 75 years. it's about moving forward, not back.t. it's looking up, not down. it's being in motion. in body, in spirit, in the now. boost® high protein it's intelligent nutrition with 15 grams of protein and 26 vitamins and minerals. for when you need a little extra.
12:27 pm
boost® the number one high protein complete nutritional drink. be up for it >> president trump meeting the
12:28 pm
12:29 pm
russian president vladimir putin for the first time christie face of the g 20 meeting in germany.the president had this message for
12:30 pm
him before the sit down. >> we urge russia to seize the destabilizing activities in the ukraine and elsewhere. and the support for hostile regimes including syria and iran. and q instead, join the community of responsible nations in our fight against common enemies and in defense of civilization itself. >> we are back with thomas bill mcgurn, editorial board member mary kissel and daniel henninger. so dan, these details about these events tend to dribble out. and we do not know would have imputed to our 16 minute long meeting. what you think the most important thing we should be watching for is? >> i think probably the most important thing is the atmosphere, the relationship between donald trump and vladimir putin because you know
12:31 pm
vladimir putin, a hard-nosed former kgb shall he will be taking donald trump's measure in the state he will be sizing him up to see what he can get out of him in the future. they're not going to solve the worlds problems here. two things that donald trump mentioned, stock destabilizing ukraine and stop supporting authoritarian regimes in syria. i do not think that is going to happen anytime soon. [laughter] and other ukrainian border, as vladimir putin has a clear idea what he was to achieve in the middle east. i think what he has done here is trying to figure how much he is going to be able to get over time with donald trump. >> in the atmosphere you know may think it is a small point with the russians wanted only two people in the room mary. they wanted their foreign minister and vladimir putin with trump and rex tillerson. where is hr mcmaster the national security advisor? russia likes small meetings. >> for fiona hill, and other
12:32 pm
expert. you know it is savvy of vladimir putin. he sits down next to donald trump looking like a world leader, vitamix "" solve problems with the us president that is a propaganda victory for him back home. and look, at the end of the date 11 it is great at solving problems that he himself created. let's not forget what he did in syria. bombing the us backed forces, bombing civilians, he wants support on the mediterranean, he is propping up assad. >> what you think about this, he -- he said look, he should interfere with our elections. i wish as an american, that i had heard our president address vladimir putin. >> i don't know. look, the reality is the policy was decided before the meeting. the meeting is sort of the show, right?
12:33 pm
he knew, president trump initiated this deal. >> you are talking about the syrian cease-fire that has been announced in southwest syria which is a modest deal at most. it is a very small portion of syria. >> i'm single to meetings, i don't think they management. >> you don't? >> no. i think that emmanuel macron, look at different policy, that will take friends seriously i think the key is, this is a legacy of barack obama. the russians have military old. they're not going to put up. with any deal going on. i think what we have to do is cases are not met, the way to president of the four other places. to deal with these things discreetly. but the bank doesn't want all of that. i think donald trump has to be series 47 poland and he has to change the dynamics so that instead of saying hello
12:34 pm
vladimir putin react? he could be saying how will donald trump react?quest here is how you get vladimir putin's reaction, you so weapons to the ukrainians. >> as and you keep american energy open to start shipping to europe. >> and donald trump is doing that! >> it is true that's what he's doing. i agree with bill that trump inherited certain reality on the ground in syria. where i differ a little is you don't want to legitimize russia's role in that. you want to -- i think i'm a bit more hawkish. >> i want secretary madison we don't deal in redlines. deal with reality. let's see what the policy is. i think frankly the press goes to crazy over these meetings. this is what the press covers. >> don't you think that there is a mean there is a personal dynamic here. and vladimir putin is an old kgb guy and he will look at
12:35 pm
donald trump and say can i take him? he looked of barack obama and we know from people who had talked to him about obama he had contempt for him. >> that is true but you know, and donald trump assistant is gone but he has some pretty good people.rex tillerson understands vladimir putin. he has done business with him. he knows how ruthless he is and he is got mcmaster, i think they put policies in place are sending a signal to vladimir putin. to follow up on this, last month there was a huge shipment of lng from louisiana to the polish port on the baltic sea. the polls and then you have a speech at trump gave. he talked specifically about: getting alternative sources of energy would not make the rely on one supplier meeting russia. vladimir putin understood that because that was - >> pedro echevarria shows also. >> poland will -
12:36 pm
>> at the environment will be watching north korea. and secretary madison as is our biggest danger point will however, he has characterized appeared and donald trump series. >> yes but vladimir putin did not help on that front. >> of course not! >> he is on the other side. quincy joined with the chinese does he want you guys stop.>> my point is that is where he will take the measure of donald trump. not just meeting him in person but you know, you go back to i think you mentioned kennedy. me kennedy blamed almost everywhere in the world. berlin, cuba, he blinked! >> that is an important point. how do you establish or reestablish rather, reinforce us deterrence after the past eight years? you see trump doing that with more freedom of operation - use of bombing the chemical airport used to launch chemical weapons in syria. but there will be whether has to be a lot more than that. >> and article 5 in that worse on speech that he is and will
12:37 pm
stand up for that which means nato, is one of the text we are all intact. >> still ahead, one group of immigrants facing deportation here in the us could be a target of isis if they are sent back to their homeland. we look at the fate of iraqi christians under close watch by the feds. be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen.
12:38 pm
nearly fifty years at of experiencety, has taught us that we're not so different. we all want to be healthy humans. we all want strong bodies for our families, who we love... most of the time. the drive to whip up a gourmet dinner... or order out, and destroy the evidence. and healthy hearts to pursue our passions, celebrate friends' victories... and endure their endless victory dances. we get it, you're good at bowling. that's why nature's bounty packs our nearly fifty years of wisdom into all we make. because we're all better off healthy.
12:39 pm
12:40 pm
...nausea, heartburn, when indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea! nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea! here's pepto bismol! ah. nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea. >> much of the president's immigration policy has put the focus on illegal immigrants from mexico and central america. another group of people facing deportation are at risk of death if they are sent back to their homeland. 1400 iraqi christians, some of them the detroit area were recently detained by immigration agents. their status is now in legal limbo. >> i have been here since 8:00 a.m. with a paid attorney and everything. nobody is giving man answers. happy take my brother and his military veterans have none of
12:41 pm
them speak the language?and they will kill the christians. they will kill our people! >> trimming out we have julian, you will join the wall street journal this coming week is an editorial writer. welcome to the program and the journal. thank you. >> what is going on with these questions and why are they at deportation rest? >> in june there was an immigration sweep and it ended up catching a lot of iraqi christians who were living there. and when it really dates back to is for years iraq wouldn't take people back. he wouldn't allow you to deport them. under donald trump's travel ban that change good iraq agreed to take the benefits a people who committed petty crimes in some cases decades ago. they have built lives, both families who are not eligible for deportation back to iraq. >> knows this immigration sweep focused only on people with criminal records? >> it was. >> okay so but what kind of crimes we talked about. the average viewer might see whitman coming that operate to
12:42 pm
stay here if you are not a citizen and you commit a crime. >> what kind of runs the gamut. so on extreme and you've got the head of the mafia, someone that had a murder conviction. on the opposite extreme you have people who serve probation for charges but not have committed crimes are people that have done misdemeanor fraud. >> even misdemeanors? >> yes and what it means is you contempt of united states legally but once you commit the crime, your immigration status is eligible for deportation. in a lot of cases, they had these - there have been decades and have not reported repeat crimes but they are now eligible for deportation. >> these people are not illegal immigrants. these are people here illegally. >> they came here and they are with a status of deportation. >> under us immigration love you commit a crime and you have a status, even if it is legal status but you're not a citizen, then you are subject
12:43 pm
to deportation. >> yes. and this is where it gets complicated i think for both progressives and the trump administration. so because these are iraqi christians, if they are sent back, they will face persecution producing mike pence st. francis the christians are subject to genocide in iraq. >> in iraq, remember this is not serious is iraq they have a functioning government, police and so on but you're still saying that they will face persecution in iraq. >> yes. and if you look at what happened to the christian community there was 50 years it was 1.5 million in 2003. 4/5 of them have left kids of the us government has acknowledged that as a genocide with a view that threat is very real. there is also concern about where in iraq they will be sent back to pre-pieces that would be less insecure for them. >> so kurdish territory. >> yes.like baghdad would be extremely dangerous. >> okay so what is the legal recourse now?and the trump
12:44 pm
administration said, donald trump has said that he pays particular attention to persecuted christians in the middle east. does he had to step. do something? >> basically the burden of proof is on the immigrant. they have three options for they can apply for relief at the un. they can look for a part of the original crime from the governor or they can argue that this is going to cause extreme hardship to their citizen, spouse or children. all of those are very difficult to prove and there is also a jurisdictional question appears in the eastern district of michigan saying we're not even sure if we can do is they might have to be handled administratively. it is very complex right now. >> and it almost does suggest that given the challenge that these immigrants have, the government and the isis is going to have to say you know, we do think that you will face persecution under the geneva
12:45 pm
convention on torture and therefore we are going to make it special dispensation there that ultimately what you think should happen? >> it is but i think it is a tricky one because they position themselves as the main defender of the immigrants. what this rings is a religious question.in this case the persecution is explicitly because of religion. but if you apply religion here, why not with the travel ban? why not with prioritizing christians over muslims from iraq? it opens up a lot of questions. >> but there is a special problem for christians in the middle east. you can argue also there is a problem in other places so you might, i see what you mean. it is a slippery slope argument that you would have to allow a lot more people. what you think will happen? >> it is up for grabs right after i think this is a case that is very politically charged and emotionally charged. uniquely american's have 74 iraqi christians. i think that may put some pressure on the administration. >> thank you jillian.
12:46 pm
when we come back, the life of a baby with a deadly genetic disorder in the hands of uk courts. but now the effort is on to meet his parents wishes to get there sent to the us for treatment. shen breath. try biotène®. [kids cheering] [kids screaming] call the clown! parents aren't perfect but then they make us kraft mac & cheese and everything's good again. you're searching for something. like the perfect deal... ...on the perfect hotel. so wouldn't it be perfect if there was a single site where you could find the right hotel for you at the best price? there is. because tripadvisor now compares prices from over 200 booking sites... ...to save you up to 30%... ...on the hotel you want. trust this bird's words.
12:47 pm
tripadvisor. the latest reviews. the lowest prices. >> a baby with a rare genetic
12:48 pm
12:49 pm
condition is in a fight for his life.it has caught the attention of president trump and pope francis. the 10 month old charlie covers from - which causes progressive muscle weakness and brain damage. charlie's parents want to take them to the united states for experimental treatment. but the british courts are refusing. ruling doctors in the uk should take him off of life support. and charlie should be allowed to die with dignity. we are back with dan henninger, kimberley strassel and bill mcgurn. a terrible case bill.but
12:50 pm
sometimes they eliminate moral issues. let's - >> this is monstrous this case because it is not a case of resources. the family has raised money, and to bring him. the wording of the european court about that the parents have rights overrunning control in the court, and is independent and objective background. i mean this is just chilling. and this is what it comes out to when you have a government run healthcare previous questions conducting not what is to be done. i don't know what treatment the child should get. but who gets to make that decision? >> i don't understand, why won't they let him go home first of all? even from the hospital if the parents want him to. they won't even do that. and then, if it is not the states money. if it is money that the parents have raised, what is the argument for not letting them try some experiment the treatment in the united states?
12:51 pm
>> the argument is and i think this what bill is saying is so scary. that we control the state of this child. it's not really necessary about the treatment. it is about control. believe it or not, they actually appointed this hospital and the state a guardian for the baby has argued actively against the parents in the court system. >> but i don't understand this. do they fear that if somehow - >> they sure do! the president of having individuals control their own healthcare destiny.i think kim is right. they will not even let the child go home to die in their arms. >> explain this. i mean so if charlie can go home, if the parents can say were sent into the us for treatment that somehow other parents will take terrible cases, people on life support, people with diseases that are probably not going to recover. it can't, everyone will want
12:52 pm
that kind of treatment then. >> they're not outright saying appeared rather, - >> that would be inhumane! >> and of course there be more careful than that. what there is that saying it is better for charlie to stay in the hospital. better for charlie to be taken off the ventilator. and we know what is best for charlie. and that is what should scare people. >> i dare say dan it sounds made maybe the court is a death panel. >> yet they do sound like that. but look paul, there are a couple of things going on that are very european. americans ought to be watching this. euthanasia is much more popular in europe than it is here. netherlands has an aggressive policy of euthanasia. and it applies generally to elderly people. the argument is extended as well to the mentally disabled and not to infants. i mean it is a concept known as a duty to die. i think the other thing that we have to be aware of is that most of europe, they are under pressure and cost-containment
12:53 pm
sits beneath a lot of these decisions not to treat people. because it is just too expensive. and that is the sort of thing that we should be aware of right now as we debate whether we want to go towards more of that kind of national provided healthcare. >> so this is a moral consequence getting single-payer healthcare? >> absolutely it is one of those consequences because you get to the point where cost, especially among elderly people are so high that you say, these people have a duty to die. because we simply cannot afford to pay for them. especially with charlie, that will be expensive treatment but still in the united states, where we do have the best neonatal care in the world, we can experiment and try to find a way towards helping infants like that. but under the cost-containment environment, you said we do not do that. >> i guess they would respond and say well we don't, he doesn't have much chance of recovery. >> they say you are just wasting money.
12:54 pm
>> they are staying in this case that you are causing pain. but it gets back to who makes the decision. we really want a government bureaucracy making these decisions about our children? in this case, because they raised the money as you say, we don't have the issue of someone claiming that the state should spend three or $4 million to keep someone alive at the end. >> also, allowing the state to make that decision allows them to make future ones. right now it is charlie and this very rare disease. who is to say somewhere down the line it is not the same thing, a child with down syndrome that don't have quality-of-life? you shouldn't help them either. we do not want that, it is terrifying. >> okay thank you all.we will take one more break. when we come back, hits and misses of the week. cured with . harvoni is a revolutionary cured with . treatment for the most common type of chronic hepatitis c. it's been prescribed to more than a quarter million people. and is proven to cure up to 99% of patients who have had no
12:55 pm
prior treatment with 12 weeks. certain patients can be cured with just 8 weeks of harvoni. before starting harvoni, your doctor will test to see if you've ever had hepatitis b, which may flare up and cause serious liver problems during and after harvoni treatment. tell your doctor if you've ever had hepatitis b, a liver transplant, other liver or kidney problems, hiv or any other medical conditions and about all the medicines you take including herbal supplements. taking amiodarone with harvoni can cause a serious slowing of your heart rate. common side effects of harvoni include tiredness, headache and weakness. ready to let go of hep c? ask your hep c specialist about harvoni.
12:56 pm
12:57 pm
>> time now for our hits and misses of the week. first to you. >> i'm giving a miss to electric cars, paul. i mean we all know how electric cars are supposed to be so desirable for saving the planet that they are sold with huge tax breaks for buyers. well, apparently that generosity
12:58 pm
doesn't quite extend to saving the roads because a lot of states like california, michigan are now imposing fees on electric cars, to pay for the repair of roads and bridges. at least 13 states have these now. obviously what the state giveth with one hand it taketh away with the other. >> miss, bill de blasio, taking us straight back to the 70s. i don't mean that in a good way. we found out this week that homelessness in new york is up almost 40%. the highest rate in more than 12 years. so while our trains are derailing and we've got public urination in the streets and the homeless everywhere, where is bill de blasio? he's off to germany to protest the g 20. >> all right. i hope he stays there. kim? >> so paul, as many people have watched, europe has had this growing problem with sexual assault at a lot of its concerts that it is having. this is nonetheless a miss to
12:59 pm
sweden that decided the organizers of its biggest music festival have decided that the way to answer this is to have a man-free concert series going forward. men will simply not be allowed to attend. there has to be some better way of dealing with sexual assault, maybe policing or something, than banning have of humanity from listening to good music. [laughter] >> all right. bill? >> this may be a first, but a hit for harvard law school for announcing the new scalia professor ship of law. a spokesman for the family said it was appropriate that his alma mater recognize him. justice scalia once said that he wrote for law students. so this is a great example of his legacy. the opinions are what really matters but a tip of the hat to harvard for honoring a son whose views weren't always popular on that campus. >> and the new dean of the harvard law school john manning is actually a conservative believe it or not. so give him credit for that. >> that's right. >> all right. remember if you have your own
1:00 pm
hit or miss, be sure to tweet it to us on fnc. that's it for this week's show. thanks to my panel. thanks to you for watching. we hope to see you right here next week. we begin this hour with a fox news alert. president trump is homeward bound as he wraps up his second trip overseas as commander-in-chief. the g-20 summit in hamburg germany closing with a jam-packed session with world leaders discussing everything from trade to the great or the growing threat rather from north korea's nuclear and missile programs. hello everyone welcome to america's news headquarters. i'm kelly wright. >> i'm julie banderas. even with a full agenda, this is the story still taking center stage, president trump's historic meeting yesterday with his russian counterpart putin. and of all the topics they discussed, it is no surprise