Skip to main content

tv   Sunday Morning Futures With Maria Bartiromo  FOX News  July 16, 2017 7:00am-8:00am PDT

7:00 am
>> i'm sorry. i just going to dig into this $1,000 sundae. >> is that a giant gold nugget? thanks everyone for watching. enjoy national ice cream day. log on to the fox and friends app. >> happy sunday, everybody. go eat some ice cream! >> good sunday morning, everybody. i'm maria bartiromo. thanks for joining us. welcome to "sunday morning futures". the next two weeks are critical for a healthcare vote and today new developments. senator john mccain undergoes surgery. forcing republican leadership to delay the vote on its revamped health bill this week. will this make it easier or hard tore get passed in the -- harder to get passed in the next two to three weeks? health secretary dr. tom price will join me ahead. we are now learning that at least eight people attended the meeting with donald trump jr. and a russia lawyer. who were they? what could this mean for the administration? i will talk to president trump's former campaign manager about that.
7:01 am
plus two republican lawmakers demanding investigations into whether former fbi director jim comey broke the law by putting classified information in memos he leaked to the press. a former u.s. attorney who once worked with comey is here. we are looking ahead right now on "sunday morning futures". senate majority leader mcconnell announcing he will delay consideration of the republican healthcare bill while arizona senator john mccain recovers from surgery. doctors are advising mccain to stay at his home in arizona this up coming week, after removing a blood clot above his left eye on friday. joining me right now is the secretary of health and human services -- human services, dr. tom price. thank you for joining us. >> thank you very much. >> your reaction to the new setback? >> well, our thoughts and prayers go out to senator mccain and to his family. never was there a fighter like john mccain so i have great confidence that he will come
7:02 am
through this with flying colors, but we wish him the very very best and i respect senator mcconnell's decision to delay any vote on this for at least a week. >> i want to ask you what your thoughts are on the bill in its current form right now, and certainly from a patient's perspective, you are just back from the national governor's association meeting, the annual meeting there. >> that's right. >> where you spoke with a number of governors. what did they have to say about this new idea, this latest installment in the bill to give more power to the states? >> well, what their concerns are obviously and what our concerns are is to make certain that every single american has access to the kind of coverage that they want for themselves and for their families. the bill has changed significantly so we believe that there is significant opportunity for that goal to be accomplished. the governors want flexible. flexibility. they want to design their medicaid program as they see fit for their population.
7:03 am
but they want to make sure the resources are there to cover the vulnerable population. one of the interesting things that's in this bill is the opportunity to make certain that those folks who actually fell into a gap below 100% of the poverty level but above where a state might put -- allow individuals on the medicaid system, that hole was not covered before. this bill provides for coverage for those individuals through the tax credit process, and that's something that's new. that also is one of the reasons that we believe we're going to be able to cover more individuals on this bill than are currently covered. i know that's counterintuitive to folks who have been reading other headlines but the goal is to get every single american covered and have access to the kind of coverage you want. >> you are right w. the cbo scoring basically suggesting that more than 20 million people get pushed off of getting insurance. people are saying well, how is that possible? the truth is that would be a choice; right? because in this scenario, when the senators will remove all of
7:04 am
the taxes and the fees for not having insurance, people may choose to just not take the insurance because they know they won't get fined for it. it is not actually just getting cut off. but it is more that people will choose not to have insurance. that's a very important point. >> oh, it is an important point. it's also cbo's opinion. the fact of the matter is that individuals who choose not to have the kind of coverage that cbo and the previous administration thought was the only kind of coverage that individuals ought to have, if they select something else, for example, if they select an hsa, a health savings account with a high deductible catastrophic plan that doesn't count in cbo's formula. cbo doesn't even capture those individuals who say to the federal government i don't want the plan that you think i need. i want the plan that i know i need for myself and for my family. so those numbers are so flawed in terms hoff what actually -- in terms of what actually happens in the real world when people act for themselves in an appropriate way and get that kind of coverage they want. >> it is pretty incredible when you look at the healthcare system in america, versus
7:05 am
elsewhere. you know, all you have to really do is what's taking -- is look at what's taking place overseas with charlie gard, the european court of human rights effectively handed gard a death sentence on june 27th when it ruled the terminally ill baby should be pulled off of life support. his parents obviously want to see if there's some experimental way to keep him alive by taking him to the united states. but when you look at what's gone on there, that's a perfect example of how government will tell you what's best for you and your family, versus having all options on the table. >> yeah. maria, this is so incredibly important. in my previous life, i was a physician. i was an orthopedic surgeon, spent over 20 years taking care of patients. and often times, the most irritated and angry i ever saw patients is when they knew that somebody else was making a decision about what kind of treatment they could get. i would recommend something. their insurance company or the federal government or the state governments would say no, we
7:06 am
can't do that or we won't allow that. and that's -- that's not the way the system ought to work. the real question that we ought to be asking is who decides? who ought to decide what kind of care, what kind of coverage, what kind of opportunity you may have? should it be the federal government? or should it be you and your family? and we come down on the line of you and your family. >> we should point out that the president actually tweeted out we would love to help baby charlie gard. britain's high court apparently will hear the case on monday, in light of new claims of evidence from the vatican's children hospital that maybe their further treatment is unjustified, however, maybe not. we will be watching that story. it is such an important example to point out. dr. price, i want to ask you about the pushback on this healthcare bill because the truth is, you can give us a really good perspective in terms of what's in this bill and does it address the big issues that are important to patients today? when you consider the fact that two of the nation's largest health insurance groups sent a letter to leader mcconnell on friday, criticizing the inclusion of a conservative
7:07 am
provision in the revised g.o.p. healthcare bill, this is the blue cross blue shield association, joining health insurance plans, the nation's largest healthcare lobbying group in slamming this revised g.o.p. healthcare bill, saying that their criticism on the consumer freedom option, which allows insurance providers to offer less comprehensive cheaper plans that do not meet the obama care requirements as long as they offer at least one obama care compliance option. what's your take on this? i know you had a lot of conversations about this when you were with the governors as well. >> we did indeed. it gets again to that question who decides. who decides what constitutes appropriate coverage? should it be the federal government? should it be insurance companies? or should it be patients? we believe it ought to be patients. i'm really -- it boggles the mind to see the insurance companies objecting to the opportunity to be able to have people, real people across this country select the kind of coverage that they want instead of what the government forces them to buy. and this is in fact the kind of risk pooling mechanism that has
7:08 am
been used for decades. this is nothing new. the fact that the federal government came in eight years ago, seven years ago and said this is what you have to purchase, that's what we're trying to get away from, because when the government says this is what you have to purchase, of necessity, it doesn't include or may include more than you want or doesn't include what you want. so what we want is patients and families and doctors to be making these decisions. not the federal government. not insurance companies. the system that we have right now may work for insurance companies, may work for the federal government, but it's not working for patients. and that's where the key is. >> but do you worry that there are still things in this bill that were some of the big problematic issues that were in the affordable care act, like the two taxes, that the senators say they are going to keep in there, the investment tax, 3.8%, as well as the payroll tax. do you worry that this is obama care light as senator rand paul has said? >> no, because i know that what obama care included was a penalty for individuals if they
7:09 am
didn't purchase coverage. in fact, 6.5 million americans across this country paid over 3 billion dollars for the right not to purchase what the federal government told them they had to have. i worry about the current system that makes it so that 40% of the counties only have one choice in terms of an insurance coverage policy for them. that's obama care. and that's what we're going to get away from. again, the governors told us what they needed was flexibility. that's what the bill provides. and listen, we really sincerely believe that this is abopportunity to move in the direction of a better -- this is an opportunity to move in the direction of a better healthcare plan, a better healthcare system than we currently have where 20 million individuals across this country currently don't have coverage. we want more individuals covered, not fewer. >> yeah. do you think they are going to be able to get this done, dr. price? >> well, i do because the senators know that what's out there right now isn't working. in terms of the medicaid system, you have got a third of the physicians in this country who ought to be caring for medicaid
7:10 am
patients who aren't. that's not because they've forgotten how to take care of those patients, it is because of the system, again, that may work for government, may work for insurance, but it is not working for patients. so what the senators know is that in their state, you talk about nevada, 14 of the 17 counties aren't going to have a single insurance company providing coverage if this current system holds. that's not a system that works for the nevada citizens, and the governor of nevada knows that. for other states where we're seeing significant decreases in insurance companies providing coverage, that doesn't work for their citizens. what they are going to be telling their senators is you've got to make certain that you fix this, that you make it so that we have got a system that works for patients and families and docs. >> we will be watching the developments sir. thank you very much for joining us this morning. >> have a great day. >> and to you dr. price. thank you. we will be speaking with senator graham coming up in the program to find out why he says that insurance part of it is critical.
7:11 am
plus why senator rand paul is a no. that's coming up. just ahead comey's memos did the former fbi director break the law and leak classified information? at least two lawmakers say they will find out. you can follow me on twitter at sunday futures. let us know what you would like to hear, as we look ahead right now on "sunday morning futures". david. what's going on? oh hey! ♪ that's it? yeah. ♪ everybody two seconds! ♪ "dear sebastian, after careful consideration of your application, it is with great pleasure that we offer our congratulations on your acceptance..." through the tuition assistance program, every day mcdonald's helps more people go to college. it's part of our commitment to being america's best first job. ♪
7:12 am
(vo) that's why your mattress should be made just for you. go to helix sleep dot com slash tv, take the two-minute sleep quiz, and we'll use your answers to custom-build your helix mattress. each layer customized, just for you. your mattress will arrive in a week. you get a 100-night sleep trial, at one third the price of retail. and right now, you can save an additional $50. start customizing your mattress, at helix sleep dot com slash tv.
7:13 am
i enjoy the fresher things in life. fresh towels. fresh soaps. and of course, tripadvisor's freshest, lowest prices. so if you're anything like me... ...you'll want to check tripadvisor. we now instantly compare prices from over 200 booking sites... ...to find you the lowest price... ...on the hotel you want. go on, try something fresh. tripadvisor. the latest reviews. the lowest prices. if you've got a life, you gotta swiffer
7:14 am
welcome back. at least two republican lawmakers are reportedly pushing for investigations into whether former fbi director james comey broke the law and leaked classified information in his memos leaked to the press. watch. >> jim comey testified a few weeks ago under oath that at the direction of the united states attorney general, he, the fbi
7:15 am
director, misled the american people when he called the clinton investigation a matter. we should be having hearings in the house judiciary committee on that very subject asking him some key questions. we learned this week that comey put classified information in some of these memos. maybe there's a reason he wasn't going to prosecute secretary clinton because he was doing the same thing. >> the hill reported last week that more than half of comey's memos about his meetings with president trump contained classified information. let's bring in a former u.s. attorney in arkansas who worked with comey and is now a partner at avenue strategies. good to see you again. thank you very much for joining us. >> good morning. >> what do you think? breaking the law here? >> well, if he put classified information in the memos and leaked them, then he broke the law, at least technically. i don't want to get too far out on this, because to be honest with you, i'm skeptical of this story. i think jim comey made a lot of unfortunate decisions, starting with the loretta lynch plane trip and going forward, but i
7:16 am
have a little trouble believing that he did this without further proof. >> yeah. look, i think that, you know, he obviously was dealt a tough hand. his boss was very clear in terms of wanting to suppress this investigation. she told him to call it a matter, and he did that. i mean, he did mislead the american people by calling it a matter, no? >> oh, he did. >> it was a criminal investigation. >> she was interfering. she created a massive appearance of impropriety by meeting with bill clinton. and what jim comee did, and i don't think he -- and what jim comey did, i don't think he intended to make a mistake, but he made unfortunate decisions to try to cure all those things from his seat at the fbi, and it resulted in probably a justified termination and a change at fbi. >> so do you think we will see an investigation here? should we see an investigation on whether or not he did in fact break the law by passing that information on to the press? and he admitted it right there in the hearing, yes, i wanted to affect change. he wanted a special prosecutor.
7:17 am
>> yes, and i think that that was wrong. it's part of this cascade of events that's led us into all these investigations into an allegation that has no evidence underneath it, this idea of russian collusion. i think that's real unfortunate. i think somebody should look at the memos, and it's really a pretty quick determination. they're well trained at determining what classified information is and isn't. somebody can take a look at that. somebody should. but i'm not ready to accuse jim comey of releasing classified information without evidence. you know, this whole story about allegations of subversion and treason without regard for evidence. and that is if you look in wikipedia the definition of mccarthyism. we've really got to slow down and try to not put so much fire behind these investigations where there's really no evidence
7:18 am
that a crime or something wrong's been committed. >> meanwhile, we continue to see leaks coming out of the white house. let's talk about that for a moment because representative says the house oversight committee is bringing in big names to investigate the leaks. and people want to know if ben rhodes is one of those people who has been questioned former national security advisor to president obama, is he calling his former colleagues who are currently working at the white house, obama holdouts and leaking information? is he helping to leak things? what do you think about the leaks coming out of the white house in the intelligence community? how do you stop it? >> well, you know, i think you do investigate that. i would like to see a firmer hand at the white house. i think you need to do whatever you need to do to stop that. national security is at play and our credibility around the world. the president's made some wonderful successful trips to
7:19 am
foreign nations lately, most recently france. we're doing good things in the middle east. we're having successes there, but we can't succeed if people are playing politics in every aspect of this. that's serious business, national security. >> yeah, but the point is is i mean, it's not stopping. and it feels like there's a real undermining going on from the intelligence community to this president. >> that's correct. and i think that is happening, and that should be investigated. as opposed to russian collusion, which there's no evidence of. i think we ought to look at the things that we know happen and try to find out why they happen and who caused them to happen. you know, and you can go back and look at a number of things that really haven't been looked at very hard that we know happened. but to date, we don't know that any collusion happened in regard to the russian interference in our election. >> that's absolutely right. is there any -- is there anything unnerving for you in terms of this don jr. meeting? >> no, not really. i mean, you know, i sat with my
7:20 am
partners. we collectively probably have about 150, 200 years of political legal campaign experience, and i don't think there's a consensus about whether they should have taken the meeting. although a lot of people say if they would have been more experienced they probably wouldn't have taken the meeting. but there's nothing in the e-mail that describes the meeting that says they are going to hear about illegally obtained evidence. for all they knew they were going to present them with legally obtained documents with some serious misdeeds of their opponent. it is part of a campaign. you listen and you move on. but it is really a big nothing. it is kind of circular. nothing happened at the meeting. they say we're in the context of this russian investigation. you say well there's no evidence of the russian investigation. they say the meeting. the american people really need to speak up and say cut our taxes, secure our borders, lower our healthcare costs and stop this nonsense. >> exactly what jamie dimon said on friday, execute the agenda that america voted for in november. thank you very much for joining
7:21 am
us this morning. >> thank you. >> is it a smoking gun or overblown as the fallout continues from donald trump jr.'s e-mails? we will talk with the president's former campaign manager corey lewandouski on the other side of this break. my doctor said joint pain from ra can be a sign of existing joint damage that could only get worse. he prescribed enbrel to help relieve pain and help stop further damage. enbrel may lower your ability to fight infections. serious, sometimes fatal, events including infections, tuberculosis, lymphoma, other cancers, nervous system and blood disorders, and allergic reactions have occurred. tell your doctor if you've been someplace where fungal infections are common, or if you're prone to infections, have cuts or sores, have had hepatitis b, have been treated for heart failure, or if you have persistent fever, bruising, bleeding, or paleness. don't start enbrel if you have an infection like the flu.
7:22 am
joint pain and damage... can go side by side. ask how enbrel can help relieve joint pain and help stop joint damage. enbrel, fda approved for 18 years.
7:23 am
tthat's why at comcast,t to be connected 24/7. we're always working to make our services
7:24 am
more reliable. with technology that can update itself. and advanced fiber network infrastructure. new, more reliable equipment for your home. and a new culture built around customer service. it all adds up to our most reliable network ever. one that keeps you connected to what matters most. welcome back. we are now learning at least 8 people were in the meeting with donald trump jr. at trump tower last year. including a former soviet intelligence officer. lawmakers are now calling on the president's son to testify in front of congress about this. but are his e-mails actually a smoking gun for collusion or is this all being blown out of proportion? want to bring in corey lewandowski president trump's former campaign manager. thank you very much for joining us. >> good morning. >> your reaction?
7:25 am
>> look, my reaction is very simple. how did these e-mails get out? the team put them out. donald trump jr. put all the e-mails out in full transparency to show everything that has taken place. and so what we have right now is a story about nothing. what we have in june of 2016, two full months before our own intelligence agencies notified the obama administration that russia may be potentially trying to impact the election, is a friend, a producer, a personality who knew donald trump jr. said can you take a meeting with a friend of mine? and he said yes. that's all this was. the meeting was very short. nothing came of it. and now we're moving on. >> why did loretta lynch approve a special visa for this woman to come to the country? she was denied a visa just months earlier. >> well, because look, clearly there was no concern from the obama administration about any types of ties, and don't forget, this woman is a russian born individual who is a private attorney. she doesn't work for the russian
7:26 am
government. never was part of the russian government during the meeting. and it was very simple, all this information was disclosed by the individuals from the trump team as required by law voluntarily on their forms. so i don't understand why we're still talking about a meeting with a couple private citizens that's been disclosed properly that had no information that came from it, that lasted a few minutes and there's been no follow-up. there's been no coordination. there's been no collusion. there's been no cooperation. and let me just say this, maria, let me be clear, if the russians were going to hack the u.s. election system, the spies, the great spies of russia, vladimir putin the former head of the kgb, is he going to reach out to some television or movie producer or talent, put it in a public e-mail system and then bring as many people as humanly possible to a meeting in trump tower? give me a break. there's 8, 10 people whatever it is. this is how the russian government works? i don't think so. >> right. i only ask because the question about the visa because even if you go to this woman's facebook page, it looks like she's more
7:27 am
in the democrat camp than she is in the republican. she's got signs there free melania, anti-donald trump commentary on her facebook page, so i mean the idea that she was trying to help donald jr. but in fact she's got all this negative stuff about his father is just a head scratcher there. let's talk about whether or not this is going to be used as a piece of, you know, smoking gun for the left to bring donald trump jr. in to testimony and explain all of this. i mean, obviously when you're in a campaign, if somebody tells you i've got damaging information about your opponent, you're going to say okay, yeah, i'll listen. >> well, not just that, look, you have to remember every person from the trump team, from jared kushner all the way down has said that they are willing to voluntarily go in and talk to the individuals who want to have a conversation, whether that's the house members, the senate members, the special counsel, whatever it is. they've been open. they've been honest. they have been available. what the democrats want to do is they want to try this in the
7:28 am
court of public opinion because the members of the house intelligence committee, republicans and democrats. the members of the senate intelligence committee, republicans and democrats, have all said there is no evidence of coordination, collusion, or cooperation, but that's not the narrative that the democrats want. they want to try this in the court of public opinion. what the trump team has said is we will give you all the information. they have provided all the information. if there's an investigation, they are going to cooperate. i don't understand what the question is here. >> yeah, you know, i'm wondering if the voters are going to hold the left accountable, come 2018, when you have got the congressional races, come to 2020 when you have another presidential election because the american people voted for an agenda, and this entire first six months, all we've talked about is potential collusion with russia, nonsense as jamie dimon told his shareholders the other day, he's sick and tired of the stupid stuff, and yet the agenda is sitting there not going anywhere. people want to see tax reform. they want to see healthcare
7:29 am
reform. >> well, they do, but you have to remember, since donald trump has been elected president, the stock market is up 17%. there's 4 trillion dollars in new value because of his reduction of government burden and government regulations on these small businesses. he's going to get his tax reform plan done. the largest tax cut in the history of our country. it will provide middle class tax relief. he will make sure healthcare is more affordable, repeal and replace obama care, build a wall on the southern border. these are the campaign promises that donald trump has campaigned on. look, maria, nobody is even talking about the fantastic trip he had as commander-in-chief this week over in france honoring those individuals on bastille day. it was an amazing trip. he charmed the president of france. they had a great relationship. it is amazing that nobody wants to talk about it because it doesn't fit the left's narrative. >> it seems like his foreign policy and these trips that he's taken whether it be in europe this past week or in the mideast two weeks ago have been a real success.
7:30 am
if anything the foreign policy part of things has been successful than the domestic agenda. corey, good to see you. thank you very much. >> thank you very much. >> when we come back, the g.o.p. healthcare bill in jeopardy. south carolina senator graham says he has the best plan. that's next. we will talk with him about that and get his reaction to rand paul who explains to us why he was a no from the get-go. we're looking ahead right now on "sunday morning futures". stay with us. it's ok that everybody ignores me when i drive. it's fine. because i get a safe driving bonus check every six months i'm accident free. because i don't use my cellphone when i'm driving. even though my family does, and leaves me all alone. here's something else... i don't share it with mom. i don't. right, mom? i have a brand new putter you don't even know about! it's awesome. safe driving bonus checks, only from allstate.
7:31 am
sometimes i leave the seat up on purpose. switching to allstate is worth it. type 2 diabetes with fitness, food and the pill that starts with f. farxiga, along with diet and exercise, helps lower blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes. lowering a1c by up to 1.2 points. do not take if allergic to farxiga. if you experience symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, such as rash, swelling, difficulty breathing or swallowing, stop taking and seek medical help right away. do not take farxiga if you have severe kidney problems, are on dialysis, or have bladder cancer. tell your doctor right away if you have blood or red color in your urine or pain while you urinate. farxiga can cause serious side effects including dehydration, genital yeast infections in women and men, serious urinary tract infections, low blood sugar, and kidney problems. stop taking farxiga and call your doctor right away if you have signs of ketoacidosis which is serious and may lead to death. ask your doctor about the pill that starts with f
7:32 am
and learn how you can get farxiga for free. if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help.
7:33 am
...nausea, heartburn, when indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea! nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!
7:34 am
here's pepto bismol! ah. nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea. big week ahead. senate republicans are releasing a new draft of their bill to repeal the affordable care act. the revamped version keeps some obama care taxes in place. it adds funding for the poor as well as money to combat the opioid epidemic. but senators lindsey graham and bill cassidy say that they have a better idea. they've introduced an alternative plan, aimed at winning bipartisan support. senator lindsey graham joins us right now to talk more about that. good to see you. thank you very much for joining us. >> good morning. >> how do you think this plan -- go through your plan, tell us what's important and why you think it will gain bipartisan support so you can get this bill to president's desk. >> there you go. all the money that we were going to be spending in washington, we block granted the states is pretty simple. we leave the taxes in place,
7:35 am
except for the individual mandate and the employer mandate and the medical device tax, we take all that money and we send it back to the states and tell them you devise a plan for south carolina and california, if you want to go obama care route, you can. if you want to do something different, you can. but we will let the people closest to the patient decide how to spend the money and get this stuff out of washington. to me that makes a lot of sense. give it to the governors and say you can't spend it on roads or bridges, spend it on healthcare, good luck. >> i think that makes a lot of sense. the fact is you have colleagues on the right republicans rolling their eyes saying why are we leaving any taxes in place that are currently in the affordable care act? i want to play you a little clip of my interview with senator rand paul and get your reaction to it. because senator paul basically says look i'm a no vote on this. >> right. >> and the reason is because it looks a lot like the affordable care act. here it is. watch this. >> we have to decide is it the government's role to subsidize
7:36 am
insurance and insurance companies? i don't think insurance companies should get a penny of our money. i mean they make $15 billion a year in the group market. they segregate a very small part of the insurance market. they whine. they come to washington and say we need money, we want to help everybody but the taxpayer has to pay us to help everybody. it is a false sense that sort of says oh we're going to help everybody but in reality what the insurance company wants a big bailout. i'm not for bailing out any u.s. industry. i love american companies. i love american companies that make profit but i'm not forgiving them any money because that's simply crony capitalism. >> you have a big agenda you need to execute that the american people voted for in november. they want to see repeal and replace but also want to see tax reform. if you hold up the progress in terms of getting a bill out and a bill to the president's desk, do you jeopardize getting the rest of the agenda done? >> i think there's a possibility
7:37 am
that republicans will shoot themselves in the foot by passing something that actually doesn't fix obama care. i think actually i'm not advocating nothing but nothing would be better than this bill because the death spiral of obama care is based on one fundamental flaw, and that is that you can buy insurance after you're sick, and that we have these regulations that make insurance expensive so young healthy people can't buy it. that death spiral leads to adverse selection and the rising premiums in the individual marketplace, that will continue under the republican plan. they will simply subsidize the death spiral. that's what this stabilization fund does. the republicans are acknowledging the death spiral of obama care will continue and they are going to subsidize it. there's nothing republican about that. there's nothing conservative about that. and i won't be part of that. if they want to take their nonsense, their big government spending programs, their throw the kitchen sink at everything and put it another bill and work with democrats on that and tell conservatives we will have a clean repeal, i will vote for any variation of a clean repeal.
7:38 am
i want 100%, but i will vote 50%, 75%, but i'm not voting to create new entitlements for insurance companies. >> so what about that, senator graham? doesn't this plan keep in some of those entitlements and certainly the taxes? >> right. so here's what i would say to rand. he's a libertarian. i respect him very very much. obama care was designed to lead to single payer healthcare. they were going to make it so expensive for employers that they would drop coverage on their employees. they would go into state exchanges that were going to fail to be taken over by the federal government. we've got one last chance to stop single payer healthcare. with all due respect to senator paul, we better come up with a plan that saves the private sector. the government is very involved in healthcare. it is called medicare. it is called medicaid. i have got one simple go with my colleagues is to save the private sector option for people who make too much for medicaid and are not 65 to keep
7:39 am
competition alive and well in the private sector. i'm not going to bail out insurance companies because that won't solve the problem. senator cruz's amendment will allow people to buy policies beyond the obama care policy. we're creating more choice. we're repealing the individual mandate, the employer mandate, which are the heart and soul of obama care. so this proposal by mitch mcconnell is not like obama care. my proposal is the ultimate republican solution in this regard. we believe those closest to the patient should have the money and the decision-making authority. we believe that our governors and our statehouse can do a better job than a washington bureaucrat. i don't mind putting money into healthcare to help people who are struggling. i just want the decisions to be made in their backyard, not in washington. that's why i like my idea so much. >> you and your colleagues are trying to slow down the growth of medicaid. >> yes. >> walk us through what has occurred in this entitlement program. most people, you know, when you hear from the left, they say oh,
7:40 am
they are cutting medicaid. you know, people will die. >> right, right. >> our children will die. >> right. >> and i don't think people fully understand what this program has become, senator. >> okay. so here's where we're headed. medicaid and medicare are two federal government-run programs. by 2042, maria, all the money that will be collected in taxes throughout the country will go to support medicare and medicaid. there will be no money for the department of defense or department of education. why? because these programs are growing so fast. in 1997, the balanced budget agreement between bill clinton and republican congress, what did we do to balance the budget? we slowed the growth rate of medicare a small amount. barack obama negotiating with john boehner about a big deal said that medicaid and medicare growth is unsustainable. >> yeah. >> we're going to come up with a way to slow the growth. so there's a lot of games to be played in medicaid.
7:41 am
i want to keep medicaid in place for the poor. >> right. >> i want to give more flexibility to the governors. one size does not fit all. i want an inflation rate for medicaid that's more sustainable that's not a result of games. so democrats when they propose slowing the growth rate down for medicaid and medicare, it is good government. when a republican proposes it, we're trying to kill people. it is a game being played up here, and i will tell everybody listening that if we don't reform medicare and medicaid, they are going to collapse and take the whole country with them. >> all right. thank you very much, lindsey graham for joining us there. when will this senate bill reach the president's desk given this latest setback due to mccain's health? a political panel is on deck next after this short break. we are looking ahead to a critical two weeks right now on "sunday morning futures". back in a minute. this this this this is my body of proof.
7:42 am
proof of less joint pain and clearer skin. this is my body of proof that i can take on psoriatic arthritis with humira. humira works by targeting and helping to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to both joint and skin symptoms. it's proven to help relieve pain, stop further joint damage, and clear skin in many adults. humira is the #1 prescribed biologic for psoriatic arthritis. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. want more proof? ask your rheumatologist about humira. what's your body of proof?
7:43 am
7:44 am
7:45 am
welcome back. a temporary setback again for the republican healthcare plan. a key vote to advance the bill now delayed while republican senator john mccain recovers from surgery in arizona. without mccain, republicans likely would not have enough votes to advance this legislation. let's bring in our panel to talk about it. ed rollins a former white house advisor to president reagan and a fox news contributor. james freeman is here. he's the assistant editor of the "wall street journal" editorial page. and we are thrilled to have you both here. good to see you guys. >> thank you. >> your thoughts on this latest development. >> it is a do-or-die and obviously the mccain absence is very very critical. the republicans have to get this to the floor. if they get this to the floor, they can negotiate a little bit and they have at least 50/50 chance of getting it passed. if they don't get to it the floor, obviously there's no swap and it could be killed very easily. the time is against them. this is a tragic setback. unfortunately john mccain is a very important player.
7:46 am
out of respect, someone ought to give him a vote and put it through but they are not going to do that. i would say at this point in time, the longer it gets delayed the more difficult it becomes and you saw the governors this week that are pretty anti it so it is a pretty tough uphill battle. >> that means it is an uphill battle for the entire agenda. what about tax reform? >> i think you could still do tax reform if it fails. obviously it becomes tougher. i think the republicans will do the healthcare reform. >> you do. that's in the next two or three weeks? >> yeah, i think this pause may give them a moment to reflect and say why have we accepted the obama premise that the test of the american healthcare is how many people we can jam into a government program? obama care was enacted in 2010 for the first time in a long time u.s. life expectancy went down last year. this is not making us healthier. medicaid does not make people healthier. this should not be the goal. a lot of evidence it is worse than private insurance and some evidence it is worse than not having insurance at all.
7:47 am
i'm hoping they will think about some of the questions you have been raising with tom price. you know, what about the patient? what's best for the patient? and that's free markets. >> he seemed to feel that the bill in its current form does address the issues that are most important to patients today. >> price was excellent. i thought he ought to be out there every day basically being the seller of this. no one else is being the seller of it. he's very effective having been a doctor as chairman of both the budget and health committee. and i would have him out every day making his points. the problem is it's not being sold. i think to a certain extent if there's any deficiency in this white house, it's been the communication shop. they have a lot of other things distracting them. there's nothing more important in the next two or three weeks than this. >> you are right, the messaging is so critical. >> dr. price can speak to the medicals a effect. -- medical aspect. you have to talk about the financial aspect. when cbo is not analyzing this, they spend the rest of their time telling us how this program is totally unsustainable. they are projecting 100 trillion
7:48 am
in deficits over the next 30 years. we've got debt as a percentage of gdp at world war ii levels. they say it is going to double. this is not healthy for anyone. if we have programs we cannot pay for. i think maybe that will be a focus over the next week, let's hope. >> which is why i keep bringing up to these folks. characterize what happened to medicaid. let's take a look at this, the fastest-growing entitlement program out there because the truth is, is that it's a very, you know, good narrative for the left, for the critics to say look at all these people that won't be in medicaid anymore. these are poor people. the fact that's not true. this program has expanded to include working individuals. >> it was a political brilliance how they put this together. it was a political document not just a healthcare document. obviously they have the talking points. we have to counter that with the facts and the reality is that when we talk about you are taking care of the rich and not taking care of the poor, it is a very telling argument. it is not a truthful argument, but it is a very telling
7:49 am
argument and democrats obviously thought about this from a political perspective. they spent a long time putting this bill together and we have to change it. >> which is why the messaging is so important. real quick, you have optimism here. you think the republicans will get it together in the next three weeks. they had seven years james to come up with a replacement plan. >> right, yeah, this is what the plan is. you can say it could be better, but there's a lot of good stuff in here in terms of finally beginning a reform of entitlement spending on the one hand and also what is it that people hate about obama care? it costs too much. it dictates everything from washington. they didn't get to keep their plan or their doctor. this is the beginning of a reform where the customer gets to make choices again. >> you think it happens. and you think tax reform gets done as well then. >> yeah why not? sure. >> come on james, i'm counting on your optimism here. do you really believe that? >> i do. i understand you don't think the corporate rate on tax reform will get all the way down to 15%. >> they are going to have to give on something; right? that's my prediction.
7:50 am
>> i think they are going to get a low rate that's going to be good for growth. and i think they understand they need something to sell next year. they need a good economy to sell in november. >> i have argued our problem from the beginning is there's not enough money to spend on the government to do all the things we want to do and the democrats want to do and we don't have enough members. the reality is obama had 59, 60 senators when he put this through, 25 more house members than we have today. we need to have a good election in 2018. we won't have a good election if we don't get this stuff moving forward. quick break. we have more on "sunday morning futures". james freeman, ed rollins, next. david. what's going on? oh hey! ♪ that's it? yeah. ♪ everybody two seconds! ♪ "dear sebastian, after careful consideration of your application, it is with great pleasure that we offer our congratulations on your acceptance..." through the tuition assistance program,
7:51 am
every day mcdonald's helps more people go to college. it's part of our commitment to being america's best first job. ♪ ♪ it's happening, it's happening! in the modern world, you can control just about anything with an app. your son is turning on all the lights again! and with the esurance mobile app, you can do the same thing with your car insurance. like access your id card, file a claim, or manage your policy. it's so easy it's almost scary. let's get outta here! that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. an allstate company. click or call.
7:52 am
7:53 am
>> the list of people who attended the meeting between donald trump jr. and a russian lawyer apparently growing. it started with four.
7:54 am
now we're learning at least eight people were in that room including a former soviet intel officer, a russian translator and an unidentified family member of a russian billionaire. back with our panel ed rollins and james freeman what do you think? collusion evidence or a big nothing burger? >> i think this is a silly meeting to have had having managed campaigns for presidents. this is a meeting that never should have taken place. all i can say at this point in time is whatever the story they are telling today is better be 100% honest. if something else comes out, eight people in a room all with different versions of it, this is not something that we should be debating today. this is something that should be over. i don't believe there was collusion. i don't believe the russians had any effect. any time you mention russian, i always run a campaign in which i worry about the electoral votes. no electoral votes in russia. this is a meeting that never should have taken place. >> still if somebody calls you and says i have damaging info on your opponent, what are you going to say? i love it. >> i send it to my lawyer, opposition research. i wouldn't take the son-in-law
7:55 am
or the son of the president elect or manafort who should have known better who basically has been entangled in ukraine and russia for a long time. to a certain extent this was stupidity on the part of the trump campaign. i don't think it was collusion. i think it was stupidity. >> it was to be fair way earlier than the whole russia gate began. james? >> yeah and i think the white house certainly would help itself with clean comprehensive disclosure of all russian contacts, get it out there. so there isn't this constant effort to learn more. but on the other hand, i'm not sure this really adds a whole lot. there was -- they took a meeting with some shady russian and now it turns out another shady russian was also present. politicians people in our line of work often you have meetings and there are various staff and others attending. i'm not sure not being able to name each person there is really that big a deal. >> but it is a distraction to the agenda. i go back to the agenda. >> it is a terrible distraction.
7:56 am
the president has had two important meet tgs last two weeks -- meetings last two weeks. he had a very important meeting with putin. we haven't talked a bit about that. he had an important meeting with our oldest ally of all the french, new young leader there. it is not being talked about. this is the junk that's being talked about. my sense is this white house has to get very disciplined on its message, drive healthcare, taxes, infrastructure, and let the outside forces deal with all the other stuff. >> i agree. james? >> people can choose what they want to distract them. you look at the judgment of global investors is that despite some people in the media screaming treason and crimes committed, investors are looking at this and kind of shrugging their shoulders. they don't think much of it. we have been talking about moving the agenda. for politicians on the hill, lawmakers, this is not an excuse, to say that trump russia stuff, the tweets are distracting us, do your job.
7:57 am
he's ready to sign healthcare reform, tax cuts, send it to his desk. >> you heard it here. get on it, washington. thank you very much, gentlemen. ed rollins james freeman. i will see you next week on mornings with maria on the fox business network. that will do it for us here. stay with fox news. here's media buzz after the short break. whoooo. finding the best hotel price is now a safe bet.
7:58 am
because tripadvisor searches over 200 booking sites - so you save up to 30% on the hotel you want. lock it in. tripadvisor. ..
7:59 am
8:00 am
howie: on "buzzfeed," the media are ablaze over reports that the president's son net with a russian lawyer who said she had opposition research on hillary clinton. >> it shows a willingness to collude with a russian adversary. >> this interview is an attempt to defend the indefensible. don, jr. is the latest person in president's orbit to mislead you. >> if there is nothing there and

28 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on