Skip to main content

tv   Your World With Neil Cavuto  FOX News  August 15, 2017 1:00pm-2:00pm PDT

1:00 pm
that's why i just signed a new executive order to dramatically reform the nation's badly broken infrastructure permitting process. just blocks as way as the empire state building. it took 11 months to build the empire state building. today it could take a decade or more. many stores takes 20, 25 years just to get approval to start construction of a fairly routine highway. highway builders must get up to 16 different approvals involving nine different federal agencies governed by 29 different statutes. one ago i can stall a project for many years and decades. not only does it cost millions of dollars but denies our citizens the safe and modern infrastructure that they deserve. this overregulated permitting
1:01 pm
process is a massive self-inflicted wound on our country. it's disgraceful. denying our people much-needed investments in their community. and i want to show you this. it was just shown me. i think i'm going to show it to the media. both real and fake media, by the way. this is what it takes to get something approved today. elaine, you see that? this is what it takes. permitting process flow chart. that's a flow chart. so that can go out to 20 years. shows about 10. that can go out to about 20 years to get something approved. this is for a highway. i've seen a highway recently in a certain state. i won't mane chun its name. it's 17 years. i could have built it for $4 or $5 million without the permitting process. it cost hundreds of millions of dollars and took 17 years to get
1:02 pm
it approved and many, many, many pages of environmental impact studies. this is what we will bring it down to. this is less than two years. this is going to happen quickly. that's what i'm signing today. this will be less than two years for a highway. so it's going to be quick and a streamlined process. if it doesn't meet environmental safe guards, we won't approve it. that simple. this will say let's throw the other one away. would anybody like that long beautiful chart from the media? you can have it. my executive order also required agencies to work together efficiently by requiring one lead agency for each major infrastructure project. it holds agencies accountable if
1:03 pm
they fail to review. we're going to get infrastructure built quickly, inexpensively and the permit progress says will go quickly no longer will we tom rate one job-killing delay after the other. no longer will we accept americans and lobbyists. i know this process. i had to get permits for all of the buildings i built in manhattan and many other places. i'll tell you the consultants are rich people. they go around making it very difficult. they lobby congress. they bobby state government, constituent governments to make it difficult and that you have to take years and pay them a fortune. we'll be streamlining the process no longer will we allow
1:04 pm
the infrastructure of our magnificent country to crumble and decay. while protecting the environment, we'll build gleaming new roads, bridges, rail wears, waterways, tunnels and highways. we'll use american workers american iron, american aluminum and american steel. we will create millions of new jobs and make millions of american dreams come true. our infrastructure will again be the best in the world.. we used to have the greatest infrastructure anywhere in the world. today we're like a third world country. we're literally like a third world country. our infrastructure will again be the best. and we will restore the pride in our communities, our nation and all over the united states we'll be proud again. i want to thank everybody for being here. god bless you, god bless the
1:05 pm
united states. if you have any questions, we have -- mick, you can come on up here. mick mulvaney. if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. >> [question inaudible] >> because they're not taking their job seriously as it pertains to this country. we want jobs, manufacturing in this country. some of the people you're talking about, they're outside of the country, having a lot of their product made outside. look at merck, as an example. their product is made outside of our country. we want products made in the country. i have to tell you, some of the folks that will leave, they're leaving out of embarrassment because they make their products outside and i've been lecturing them, including gentlemen you're referring to, you have to bring it back to this country. you can't do it in ireland and
1:06 pm
all of these other places. you have to bring this work back to this country. that's what i want. i want manufacturing to be back in the united states soed that american workers can benefit. >> why did you wait -- >> i didn't wait long. i didn't wait long. i wanted to make sure unlike most politicians that what i said was correct. not make a quick statement. the statement i made saturday, the first statement, was a fine statement. you don't make statements that direct unless you know the fact. it takes a little while to get the facts. you still don't know the facts and it's a very, very important process to me. it's a very important statement. so i don't want to go quickly and just make a statement for the fact of making a political statement. i want to know facts.
1:07 pm
i brought it. >> [question inaudible] >> remember this, saturday, we condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence. it has no place in america. then i went on from there. now, here's the thing. as to -- excuse me. take it nice and easy. here's the thing. when i make a statement, i like to be correct. i want the facts. this event just happened. in fact a lot of the event didn't even happen yet as we were speaking. before i make a statement, i need the facts. i don't want to rush into a statement. so making the statement when i made it was excellent. in fact, the young woman who i hear is a fantastic young woman and was on nbc, her mother wrote me and said through, i guess twitter, social media, the nicest things. i very much appreciated that.
1:08 pm
i hear she was a fine, actually an incredible young woman. her mother on twitter thanked me for what i said. honestly, if the press were not fake and if it was honest, the press would have said was very nice. unlike you and -- excuse me. unlike you and unlike the media, before i make a statement, i like to know the facts. >> [question inaudible] >> how about a couple of infrastructure questions? >> [unaudible question]. >> you take a look. i created over a million jobs since i've been president. the stock market is setting records. the highest employment numbers we've had in the history of our country. we're doing record business. we have the highest levels of
1:09 pm
enthusiasm. so the head of walmart who i know, a very nice guy, was making a political statement. i'd do it the same way. you know why? i want to make sure when i make a statement that the statement is correct. there was no way -- there was no way of making a correct statement that early. i had to see the facts unlike a lot of reporters -- i didn't know david duke was there. i wanted to see the facts. the facts as they started coming out were very well-stated. in fact, everybody said his statement was beautiful, if he would have made it sooner, that would have been good. i couldn't have made it sooner because i didn't know all of the facts. frankly, people still don't know all of the facts. it was very important -- excuse me. it was very important to me to get the facts out and correctly.
1:10 pm
because if i would have made a fast statement -- the first statement was made without knowing much other than what we were seeing. the second state was made with knowledge, with great knowledge. there's still things -- excuse me. there's still things that people don't know. i want to make a statement with knowledge, i wanted to know the facts. >> two questions. was it terrorism and can you tell us how you feel about your -- >> the driver of the car is a disgrace to himself, his family and this country. that is -- you can call it terrorism. you can call it murder. you can call it whatever you want. i would just call it as the fastest one to come up with a good verdict. that's what i'd call it. there is a question. is it murder, is it terrorism? then you get into legal semantics. the driver of the car is a murderer. what he did was a horrible,
1:11 pm
horrible inexcusable thing. >> can you tell us how you're feeling about mr. bannon? >> i would echo maggie's question. >> i never spoke to mr. bannon about it. >> can you tell us how -- you have confidence -- >> look, i like mr. bannon. he's a friend of mine. mr. bannon came on very late. you know that. i went through 17 senators, governors and i won all the primaries. mr. bannon came open later than that. i like him. he's a good man. he's not a racist. we'll see what happens with mr. bannon. he's a good person and the press treats him very unfairly frankly. >> people have called on you to defend your national security adviser h.r. mcmaster -- >> i did it the last time. >> and --
1:12 pm
>> senator mccain? you mean the one that voted against obamacare? who is -- you mean senator mccain who voted against us getting good healthcare? >> mr. mccain said the alt right is behind these attacks and he linked that same group to who perpetrated the attacks in charlottesville. >> i don't know. i can't tell you. i'm sure senator mccain must know what he's talking about. when you say the alt right, define it. you define it. define it for me. let's go. define it. >> senator mccain defined them as the same group -- >> and what about the alt left that came charging at the as you say the alt right? do they have any semblance of guilt? let me ask you this. what about the fact that they came charging with clubs in their hands? do they have any problem? i think they do. as far as i'm concerned, that was a horrible, horrible day -- wait a minute.
1:13 pm
i'm not finished. i'm not finished, fake news. that was a horrible day -- i will tell you something. i watch those very closely. much more closely than you people watched it. you have -- you had a group on one side that was bad and you had a group on the other side that was also very violent. nobody wants to say that. i'll say it right now. you had a group on the other side that came charging in without a permit and they were very, very violent. >> [question inaudible] you think what you called the alt left as the same as neo-nazis -- >> all oh those -- i've condemned neo-nazis. i've condemned a lot of groups. notice all of those people were white supremacists and
1:14 pm
neo-nazis. those people were there because they wanted to protest the taking down of a statue, robert e. lee. you take a look at the groups and you see and you know it if you were honest reporters, which in many cases you're not. many of those people were there to protest the taking down of the statue of robert e. lee. so this week it's robert e. lee. i noticed that stone wall jackson is coming down. i wonder, is it george washington next week and thomas jefferson the week after? you have to ask yourself where does it stop. but they were there to protest -- excuse me. take a look the night before. they were there to protest the taking down of the statue of robert e. lee. infrastructure question. go ahead. >> the statue of robert e. lee stay up? >> that's up to a local town, community or the federal government depending where it's located. >> are you against the confederacy?
1:15 pm
>> do you think things are gotten worse or better since you took office? >> i think -- look, they've been frayed a long time. you can ask president obama about that. he made speeches about it. i believe that the fact that i brought in millions of jobs, you see where companies are moving back to our country. i think that's going to have a tremendous positive impact on race relations. we have companies coming back. two cars that just announced, foxconn in wisconsin. many companies i say pouring back into the country. that will have a huge positive impact on race relations. you know why? it's jobs. what people want know, they want jobs. they want great jobs with good pay. when they have that, you watch how race relations will be. we're spending money on the inner cities.
1:16 pm
we're doing far more than anybody has done with the inner cities. it's a priority for me and very important. >> are you putting what your calling the alt left and white supremacists on the same plane? >> i'm not putting anybody on a moral plane. what i'm saying, you had a group on one side and you had a group on the other and they came after each other with clubs and it was vicious and a horrible thing to watch. there was a group on this side, you can call them the left. you just called them the left, that came violently attacking the other group. you can say what you wants, but that's what it is. >> you said there was hatred -- >> i do think there's blame on both sides. you look at both sides -- i think there's blame on both sides and i have no doubt about it and you don't have any doubt about it either. and if you reported it accurately, you would say.
1:17 pm
>> the neo-nazis started the protests -- >> excuse me. you had some very bad people in that group. you also had people that were very fine people on both sides. you had people in that group -- excuse me. excuse me. i saw the same pictures as you did. you have people in the group there to protest the taking down to them of a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from robert e. lee to another name. was george washington a slave owner? so will george washington lose his status? are we going to take down statues of george washington? how about thomas jefferson? what do you think thomas jefferson? do you like him? he was a major slave owner. are we going to take down his
1:18 pm
statue? it's fine. you're changing history, you're changing culture and you have people -- i'm not talking about the neo-nazis and the white nationalists. they should be condemned totally. you had many people in the group other than neo-nazis and white nationalists. okay? the press has treated them absolutely unfairly. now, in the other group also, you had some fine people. but you also had trouble makers. you see them come with the black outfits and the helmets and the baseball bats. you had a lot of bad people in the other group, too. >> who was treated unfairly? you said the press is treating white nationalists unfairly -- >> no, no. there were people in that rally -- and i looked the night before, if you look, there were people protesting very quietly the taking down of the statue of robert e. lee. i'm sure in that group there were some bad ones.
1:19 pm
they had some rough, bad people. neo-nazis, white nationalists, whatever you wants to call them, a lot of people there that were to innocently protest and very legally protest because you know -- i don't know if you know, they had a permit. the other group didn't have a permit. so i only tell you this: there are two sides to a story. i thought what took place was a horrible moment for our country. horrible moment. but there are two sides of the story. does anybody have a final -- you have a infrastructure -- >> what make you think you can get a infrastructure bill? >> we came very closely. unfortunately john mccain decided to vote against it at the last minute. you'll have to ask him why he did that. we came very close to healthcare. we will end up getting healthcare. but we'll get the infrastructure. actually infrastructure is something that i think we'll have bipartisan support on. i actually think democrats will go along with the
1:20 pm
infrastructure. >> have you spoken to the family of the victim -- >> i'll be reaching out. >> when? >> i was very -- i thought the statement put out -- the mother's statement i thought was a beautiful statement. i always tell you, with us something that i really appreciated. i thought it was terrific. under the kind of stress that she's under and the heart ache she's under, i thought putting out that statement is something i won't forget. thank you very much. thank you. >> all right. president trump coming out in a very heated way, defending his original position to make that original statement on charlottesville and also arguing that there were lots of different bad people that were there. he's still talking. let's listen in. >> i know a lot about charlottesville. charlottesville is a great place last been very badly hurt the
1:21 pm
last couple days. i own one of the largest wineries in the united states in charlottesville. >> [question inaudible] >> i think jobs can have a big impact. think if we continue to create jobs, over a million, substantially over a million, and you see just to other day, the cars coming in, foxconn. if we continue to create jobs at levels that i'm creating jobs, i think they will have a tremendous impact on race relations. >> what you said today, how do you think that will impact the racial -- >> people will be working, making money, more money than ever thought possible -- >> your remarks -- >> the other thing very important, wages will start going up. they haven't gone up a long time. wages now because the economy is doing so well with respect to employment and unemployment, i believe wages will start to go
1:22 pm
up. i think that will have a tremendously positive impact on race relations. >> all right. finally some talk on the economy there from the president. this was a infrastructure day. he talked about infrastructure spending and then he opened it up to questions. that's when it started to go a little bit sideways there as the media badgered him about his original statement on charlottesville and why he didn't come out with the second statement first. i want to go do real clear politics katelyn burns, heather is here and also christy setzer. katelyn, should he not have taken questions just from a pure media management message standpoint? he was there to talk about infrastructure. suddenly we're talking about charlottesville again? you know that's all the media
1:23 pm
cares about right now. >> well, from a media communications standpoint, we've seen time and time again the team trying to control this president. we saw that over the course of the campaign as well. unable to. you can tell the president has a lot of built-up frustration over the course of the past couple days for the criticism for his handling of the charlottesville tragedies there. so you saw him really unleash that frustration out at the media. who were rightfully so asking him questions about the thought process of this critical event that has gripped the nation. you can sense that there. >> madison, did he do a good enough job defending himself against the media? at one point he pulled the original statement. he said look, this is what i said. i said it was hatred and violence and there was no place for bigotry. he kept saying over and over again, he needed to get the facts before he made those kinds of accusations about specific
1:24 pm
groups. was that a enough of a defense? >> yeah, he did a great job today. what we have to remember, he's a leader. he sees the full picture, he's patient and not afraid to call people out that are being unfair and being hypocritical. that's what he did with his answers today. going back to what you said earlier, yeah, we're going to back to charlottesville but president trump is someone that is looking at the bigger picture and he understands there's not just one issue. a lot of pressing issues that will be facing the white house and this nation and that goes back to his agenda. he's continuing to focus on healthcare, tax reform, infrastructure. he's not just focusing on one thing the media wants to continue to hit on. >> the media wanted to hit on this one here today. we did see in some ways the classic donald trump that we saw in the campaign trail. he wasn't afraid to take them on. he fired back. do you think the strategy was effective or does this just sink
1:25 pm
him further as far as the media is concerned? >> he went off the rails. i don't think it's the media's fault that the conversation kept going. to be honest, i believe the media kept asking the same question because they were trying to give him every opportunity to say what frankly not just members of the media or p.r. people, just as americans, we want to hear our president say something moral and good and say we're better than nazis. that shouldn't be a high bar. i believe that's why they kept asking, giving him opportunity after opportunity and he wouldn't do it. >> you think that's why they kept asking him or was it something else, which is once again, back to this identity politics theme that the left has played over and over again. >> no, they're interconnected. we're stunned. i'm stunned. not just somebody that is liberal but again, as an american, the best he could do is say that the people who were not nazis, who were there had some problems, too, because they department get a permit.
1:26 pm
are you kidding me? are you kidding me? >> that's not what he was saying, christy. >> i'm a girl from charlottesville. i thought he did a very good job condemning the hatred and violence. it wasn't as quick as the left wants it, to have been said. why -- >> let heather finish her thought. >> why are we so divisive? let's start, you know, moving in the right direction -- why am i so divisive? >> no, the media. >> and the questions they were asking him. the left wing media was about infrastructure. that's what i'm talking about. >> it was a press conference about infrastructure. he opened it up and clearly this has been dominating the news cycle so they went back to the well because this is what is working for them. this is what is selling for them, heather. >> yes, it gets ratings. that's for sure.
1:27 pm
>> let me ask you about this. the ceo of walmart announced that he was leaving the council today. he's the fourth ceo to do so on the heels of three others. merck, kevin plank from underarmor. all of these folks say in light of charlottesville, we're leaving the manufacturing council. he took that question there on the ceo of walmart. he really went back to how he could grow the economy, how the market has been doing so much better. of course the tail end of this news conference, we heard him talking about the key to race relations is actually the economy. it is jobs. is there something to that? >> well, it would be perhaps if the president kept on message. i really take issue with the fact that the media is driving this. the president has had multiple opportunities to talk about his agenda. time and time again, we see on twitter and the fact that he did take these questions willingly
1:28 pm
and independently shows that he wanted to talk about this issue and how he feels about this issue. it's not just the left that has been critical of donald trump. it's republicans and congress who right after the charlottesville events came out and said that they wanted the president to take a tougher stance. a lot of them did and welcoming the second round of that statement. so i think we have to be fair here this is a big issue and something that is concerning to kind of a bipartisan group. people are looking to the president of the united states to discuss how he feels about this as the leader of the country. >> i think there's something to it in that he knew, madison, he would get asked those questions. when you go out there and you're there to talk about infrastructure, they don't want to talk about infrastructure. they don't want to talk about tax cuts and a lot of substance. they prefer this -- what has become very divisive and the
1:29 pm
story of the day very much, which is to attack donald trump. so they went into the attack mode. he had to have known that was coming. >> of course. what is so great about our president, he has extensive experience being involved in the media well before he was involved in politics. he know what's to expect from the media. he expected the questions he received today. >> but today, on a day when you want to talk about infrastructure and here we are talking about once again whether it was enough of a condemnation of charlottesville. >> i think those are questions he needed to answer. these are things that to me have seen to been left unanswered. he came out very clear about the way he felt about his statement, which i think he needed to do. i wish he received more questions on infrastructure, but the reality is reporters will ask what they want to ask. going back to his statement and questions and answers, he gave a strong statement. why take 20 years to do something we can do in two?
1:30 pm
why spend $100 to do something we can do with $5. >> and he held up the flow chart, right? he says look at all of the different steps that you have to go through. he pointed to one highway project that took 17 years. christy, will the democrats be willing to work with him on infrastructure so that we're not going through that many steps to get stuff done? >> that's a great question, trish. the president trump says he doesn't think he needs to work with the democrats on that. this is one issue where yes, if he had started with this in january, he could have i believe gotten potentially a lot of democratic support. fixing our roads and bridges is something that democrats care about. >> do you by that, heather? if they were willing to do it before, they should be willing to do it now. but -- >> he didn't start with infrastructure. >> this is better for our
1:31 pm
economy. >> without sparking another fight or debate here, christy's point is perhaps he should have started with that in the legislative process other than -- >> or the muslim ban. >> fine. is there any way that democrats can get on board? he's pleasing you with infrastructure spending and tax cuts. what will it take to give the man a chance? >> can we talk about the infrastructure plan for a second? his plan is for -- >> sure. >> he wants to spend a trillion dollars over ten years which is great. that's what it will take to fix our crumbling roads and bridges and sewage systems and things like that. however, the way he wants to do is $200 million of federal government spending and $80 -- oh. >> so you want more federal government spend something. >> it's unrealistic -- >> we have 20 trillion in debt. what do you expect -- >> fred smith and fed ex, can
1:32 pm
you spare a billion? it's not going to happen. >> that said, a lot of private companies that would like to be in on this, right? so they actually surprisingly enough, christy, they'll put money to work because they want this opportunity. you have to go out there and take advantage of it and not to say the federal government will do all the spending all the time. anyway, so good to see all of you. very good the it's contribution. madison, heather, christy and katelyn. president trump says race relations are frayed a long time. we're having reaction from martin luther king jr.'s niece things. no, please, please, oh! ♪ (shrieks in terror) (heavy breathing and snorting) no, no. the running of the bulldogs? surprising.
1:33 pm
what's not surprising? how much money aleia saved by switching to geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more. this this this is my body of proof. proof of less joint pain and clearer skin. this is my body of proof that i can take on psoriatic arthritis with humira. humira works by targeting and helping to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to both joint and skin symptoms. it's proven to help relieve pain, stop further joint damage, and clear skin in many adults. humira is the #1 prescribed biologic for psoriatic arthritis. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores.
1:34 pm
don't start humira if you have an infection. want more proof? ask your rheumatologist about humira. what's your body of proof?
1:35 pm
>> california becoming the first state to lawyer up over the sanctuary city crackdown. we're back in 60 seconds. dive into the classic crab lover's dream or new dueling crab legs with dungeness and snow crab. only during crabfest. now this is seafood. and hurry in to enjoy our new crab melt part of our seafood lover's lunch for just $9.99.
1:36 pm
>> i think they've got ten better or -- look. they've been frayed a long time. you can ask president obama about that. because he makes speeches about it. i believe the fact they brought in -- it will be soon -- millions of jobs. you can see companies are moving back to our country. i think that's going to have a tremendous positive impact on race relations. >> moments ago, donald trump saying there at trump tower jobs would be a big part of dealing with the race relations
1:37 pm
challenges that we face in this country. i want to go to rick leventhal that was there as we watched that back and forth between the media and the president there as he continued to defend his statement that he made originally there on saturday regarding charlottesville. rick? >> and trish, that response from the president to my question about whether race relations were better or worse in america since he's taken office. this is an extraordinary press conference. we were told the president might not take questions. he came down to talk about and executive order on infrastructure and escalated very quickly to a discussion about what he said about charlottesville saturday and his follow up comments monday and whether he want far enough saturday and monday. the president stuck by his statements. he said what happened in charlottesville was a horrible moment for our country. he said the driver is a disgr e disgrace.
1:38 pm
you can call it terrorism or murder. it's a horrible thing and he condemned the words and actions of the neo-nazis and white supremacists and also condemned the alt left for the violence we saw. >> he was making the point as well that both sides were to blame. this is something that his obviously infuriated some people. and we have with us, the daughter of martin luther king jr. i assume you heard the president's comments there. your reaction, alvida. >> don't forget the infrastructure. the president is right about that. he signed that executive order. however, people are just up and arms and they want answers. the president took a long time explaining the exact state of affairs. i did hear him talk about the alt right and the alt left.
1:39 pm
the alt right with the include ku klux klan but the alt left with inciting riots. you have that kind of agitation between groups and you get confusion. what the president has done is to step in with what we call the six steps of the king family legacy nonviolent conflict resolution. so you get your facts, you educate your public, examine your own heart and negotiate for peace and peacefully protest. get your permits and protest peacefully. you're seeking a win-win situation with nonviolent reconciliation. >> so you don't have a problem -- >> the president got his facts and made his next statement. so he condemned all violence, cease fire and he continued to make statements. so if you have opposing sides using profanity, violence and threats, you'll have chaos. >> i hear you.
1:40 pm
i think the problem as far as members of the media have seen it was a lot of the facts had been out there. so you know, maybe he wasn't as aware of them or whatever reason -- >> it had nothing to do with him not being aware. he had to assess the whole thing, look at the threat, stop the violence and let's come together. that's exactly what he did. he condemned the violence, he condemned the hatred. he has called racism evil. racism is evil. president trump says all of us have the same color blood no matter what color our skin is. he says let's solve our problems by giving everybody dignity, jobs opportunitying to take care of themselves spiritually, socially. he's doing that. so to ask him to take sides and condemn one group and not serve all of america, that's never going to work. >> okay. let me ask you about that. the key to race relations being the economy, being jobs, you agree with that philosophy?
1:41 pm
is one of the reasons we're in this state we're in is because various groups feel disenfranchised and they don't have a economic future? >> act 17-26 said god made all people equal to live on the earth. so what you have to do is recognize the ethnicities, the dignity and respect that is due there. but encourage people to gets along. my angle said i decided to deal with love because hate is too difficult to bear. we have to learn to give together as brothers and sisters or perish as fools. one human community in america, we have to learn to get along. the president said cease fire, let's reason this out. let's not have this fighting and killing and the evil violence of racism. racism is a lie anyway.
1:42 pm
it's fake news that we're separate races. we're one human race with different colors of skin and hair and all that thing. we're one race. put america to work. you'll see that people won't fight as much. >> you wonder, dr. king, is it in part because of all that has happened within our political system and that we have seen so much redistricting, gerrymandering of these districts throughout the country that has contributed in some ways to this racial discord? you're not in a situation where everybody has the same common interests and trying to gets along and rather you seen the racial divides that are very political in purpose? >> and it's driven politically, it puts a wedge between us, showing us our differences. we have to see our commonalities. everybody needs to work. everyone needs to be safe. everyone needs spiritual and social and physical opportunities to be the best that they can be. that is what the president is
1:43 pm
saying. in you look at his infrastructure package, i'm sure you'll see some of that there, too. he was right to call a cease fire immediately. stop the violence. let's reason together. that's even in the bible, too. i think god said to the people, come let us reason together. you cannot reason if you're bombing each other and screaming and cursing each other out. >> with that in mind, we saw four ceos come right off his council from manufacturing council -- talking about his lack -- what they saw of a lack in response -- >> four left and 20 remained. some more will come. he will continue to work to build america, the president will. so four left, 20 stayed. the number that stayed is much bigger than the number that left. remember that. >> true were the ceos wrong to leave? >> i have to know why they left, why they thought it was best to
1:44 pm
leave. this is america. people have to have opportunities to do what they believe is right. we still have that privilege. there's 20 that stayed. i think the number that stayed is maybe more important than the anybody that is left. >> it's very good to talk to you. thank you so much. >> thank you. >> dr. alveda king. more coming up. before fibromyalgia, i was a doer. i was active. then the chronic, widespread pain drained my energy. my doctor said moving more helps ease fibromyalgia pain. she also prescribed lyrica. fibromyalgia is thought to be the result of overactive nerves. lyrica is believed to calm these nerves. woman: for some, lyrica can significantly relieve fibromyalgia pain and improve function, so i feel better. lyrica may cause serious allergic reactions or suicidal thoughts or actions. tell your doctor right away if you have these, new or worsening depression, or unusual changes in mood or behavior. or swelling, trouble breathing, rash, hives, blisters, muscle pain with fever, tired feeling, or blurry vision.
1:45 pm
common side effects are dizziness, sleepiness, weight gain and swelling of hands, legs and feet. don't drink alcohol while taking lyrica. don't drive or use machinery until you know how lyrica affects you. those who have had a drug or alcohol problem may be more likely to misuse lyrica. with less pain, i can be more active. ask your doctor about lyrica.
1:46 pm
i can be more active. (boy) and these are the lungs. (class) ewwww! (boy) sorry. (dad) don't worry about it.
1:47 pm
(mom) honey, honey, honey, honey! (vo) at our house, we need things that are built to last. that's why we got a subaru. (avo) love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. get 0% apr financing for 63 months on all new 2017 subaru legacy models. now through august 31st. >> trish: a big test for president trump in alabama tonight. polls closing in a little over three hours from now. the president tweeting his support. senator strange replaced jeff sessions when he became attorney general. there will be a full special election in december. so if senator strange doesn't make it through the primary battle, what does it mean for the president's agenda and his influence going forward? let's go to the washington examiner, sarah westwood. what do you think, sarah? is he going to get this? >> there's not that much reliable polling available for the republican senate primary in alabama.
1:48 pm
but right now it looks like luther strange is poised to claim one of those top two spots to make it to a run-off, which will occur if nobody gets 50%. it's not looking likely. the other candidate, roy moore, is an interesting case. he's the other republican candidate who looks poised to make it to the run-off because he is a religious right here row in alabama. but the establishment doesn't like him much. they're afraid of getting him in the senate. what this contest has shaken out to be, to see who can hug the trump the tighter and champion his agenda the loudest and strange in particular has gone out of his way to make it clear he's an ally of trump. >> trish: why do you think it is the president chose luther strange as opposed to the other? >> luther strange has made it a point to prove his loyalty to
1:49 pm
the president. he has a track record of voting for his priorities in the senate and voted for the healthcare repeal efforts, been a champion of the tax reform policies. because of that, he could point to his record and demonstrate to president trump that he would back the legislative agenda. the other candidates can claim that they would be a supporter of the president in the senate. luther strange is able to prove it. what could hurt luther strange is that senate majority leader mitch mcconnell backs luther strange and in some parts of trump country, mitch mcconnell is not a popular guy. >> trish: as long as you have the president's support -- >> you'd think. but it was late in the race. just in the past week that president trump came out in favor of luther strange. he didn't campaign for him. just a tweet and robo call. >> trish: we'll see if he makes to it the next round.
1:50 pm
thanks so much. >> thank you. >> trish: attorney general jeff sessions is about to take his showdown over sanctuary city on the road. we'll get reaction from a guy who has had some success taking these cities on. we have dan patrick next! it's ok that everybody ignores me when i drive. it's fine. because i get a safe driving bonus check every six months i'm accident free. because i don't use my cellphone when i'm driving. even though my family does, and leaves me all alone. here's something else... i don't share it with mom. i don't. right, mom? i have a brand new putter you don't even know about! it's awesome. safe driving bonus checks, only from allstate. sometimes i leave the seat up on purpose. switching to allstate is worth it. a penny it's ourr back to school one cent event at office depot office max. notebooks! one cent! rulers, glue and 12-pack pencils! all one cent each! hurry to office depot office max! ♪taking care of business
1:51 pm
whether it's connecting one of or bringing wifi to 65,000 fans. campuses. businesses count on communication, and communication counts on centurylink.
1:52 pm
1:53 pm
>> trish: california and san francisco are the latest to sue the justice department over the president's plan to block federal funding for sanctuary city. chicago also filing suit last weeks. texas lieutenant gorden patrick is not a fan of these lawsuits to say the least. he joins me now. good to see you. >> hi, trish. >> trish: one after the other. how difficult does it make your job, your police community's job when you don't have basically
1:54 pm
the ability in some of these places to enforce the laws effectively? the federal law? how challenging does it make it for any law enforcement in these sanctuary cities? >> first of all, we don't have that problem in texas. we support the president and his policies. we're not suing. in texas, we do have cities suing us. cities that have democrat mayors like we see democrat mayors in san francisco and chicago. we have a country that has a republican president, majority congress. we have most of the states run by republicans. we have these pockets of democrat mayors in big cities and of course in california, taking on common sense policies to protect their own citizens. the reason we passed senate bill 4 earlier to end sanctuary cities, can some of our democrat mayors are suing, since 2011 we arrested over 200,000 criminal aliens in texas. we charged them with 600,000
1:55 pm
crimes. over 1,000 murders and 6,000 sexual assaults and 87,000 drug offenses. hundreds of kidnappings. just in texas because of policies that obama allowed sanctuary cities to allow hardened criminals to hide in these cities. that's why texas stood up with the president. they're wrong by not protecting their citizens against the hardened criminals that get mixed in with the population to commit crimes. >> trish: is it for political reasons? you're trying to court a specific demographic of people and you think you'll have a better shot with that demographic? if you look more sympathetic? >> when we ran in 2014, we received 50% of the hispanic vote. greg abbott and myself received more hispanic voters than any republican in the history of the
1:56 pm
country. >> trish: you have a lot of hispanic vo hispanice hispanic voters there. i think many of the left are using this for political purposes. they're trying to appeal to a demographic and using this to their advantage in that way. >> well, they're going to find out they're wrong. again, in texas, greg abbott and i ran on a platform of good sound public policy to protect our citizens, all of them, including great mexican american citizens and hispanics. they want law and order on the border. they don't want criminals in their neighborhood. they don't want people dieing to come to america in the back of 18 wheelers. they don't want women assaulted. we want illegal immigration reform that people can come in here and keep the hardened criminals out.
1:57 pm
>> trish: thanks so much lieutenant governor. dan patrick. >> thank you. >> trish: you can catch me tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. on the fox business network. "the specialist "is next. see you tomorrow. yeah, my dad says our insurance doesn't have that. what?! you can leave worry behind when liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance. and it's also a story mail aabout people and while we make more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country, we never forget... that your business is our business the united states postal service. priority: you
1:58 pm
1:59 pm
at the lexus golden uncoopportunity sales event before it ends. choose from the is turbo, es 350 or nx turbo for $299 a month for 36 months if you lease now. experience amazing at your lexus dealer.
2:00 pm
>> eboni: i am eboni k williams with kat timpf and guy benson. this is "the fox news specialists" ." just a short time ago, president trump unloading on the controversy around his response to this weekend's racist violence in charlottesville, remarks coming amid an infrastructure policy announcement. >> this statement i made on saturday, the first statement, was a fine statement. but you don't make statements that direct unless you know the facts. it takes a little while to get the facts. you still don't know the facts. there was no way of making a correct statement that early.

74 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on