Skip to main content

tv   Your World With Neil Cavuto  FOX News  October 30, 2017 1:00pm-2:00pm PDT

1:00 pm
broadcast too literally 79 years ago today. should more news break out, wing break in. breaking news changes everything on fox news channel. "your world" with neil cavuto is next and starts now. >> it has nothing to do with the activities of the campaign. it has to do with his failure to tell the truth. >> it's the clearest evidence of ties between the trump campaign and -- >> there's no official capacity in which the trump campaign was engaged in these activities. >> has he and the rest of the white house concerned that this will distract from tax reform and the other -- >> we're not worried about it because it has nothing to do with us. >> neil: not one question about what could be the most momentous move on taxes in a generation. not one until the very end. it was by a fox business network
1:01 pm
reporter. i digress to make this point. this is now all encompassing. anything having to do with paul manafort or george papadopoulos will get all the attention and when it comes the paul manafort now facing a 12-count indictment. needless to see you have more than just a distraction. you have a fixation. kevin corke at the white house with more. >> the manafort story will get all the headlines today and obviously that's because he was a former campaign manager. it's the papadopoulos story that is really the more significant one here. keep in mind, he's apparently been cooperating with the feds since his arrest in july. what that means is, that could have a far-reaching impact as what happens as we continue to examine the russia investigation. let me tell you about papadopoulos.
1:02 pm
he pleaded guilty this month to lying to federal officials about contacts he had with people that he believed had ties to russia while he was a non-paid volunteer with the trump campaign. meanwhile, the president's one time campaign chair paul manafort indicted on multiple charges that he funneled millions of dollars through overseas shell companies and evaded taxes in the process. mr. manafort and his long-time associate rick gates that also faces charges both appeared in federal district court today and they both issued pleas of not guilty. bond set at $10 million for manafort, $5 million for gates. the president not talking today on camera. he is talking by way of twitter. he said sorry, but this is years ago before manafort was part of the campaign. so why are crooked hillary and the dems under investigation.
1:03 pm
here's sarah huckabee sanders. >> this has nothing to do with the president or the president's campaign. the real collusion scandal has everything to do with the clinton campaign, fusion gps and russia. there's clear evidence of the clinton campaign to spread disinformation and smear the president. there's been no evidence of trump and russia collusion and nothing in the indictment changes that at all. >> so the men will be back in court on november 2 at 2:00 p.m. eastern time. in case you're wondering about the bond numbers we've talked about, neil, $10 million for man ford and 5 million for gates. there's a technicality. these are unsecured. so if they don't show up when they're supposed to, then the court will expect demanding -- will expect those funds. manafort's lawyer called the special prosecutor's charges ridiculous. he noted trying to use the fara
1:04 pm
statute to prosecute his client has happened six times since the 60s and once successfully. not a lot of talk about taxes or the foreign trip or the fed chair because everybody is talking about paul manafort and mr. rick gates. >> neil: yeah, all that nerdy stuff that i'm obsessed with. kevin corke at the white house. is the special prosecutor robert mueller trying to do something else here? squeeze these guys, get them to talk or turn in other people. maybe go all the way up to the president of the united states. defense attorney ted williams, what do you think, ted? >> i think this is a very bad day for the white house. i heard sarah say that this does not touch and concern the president. she's right at this stage. but you know, neil, not only am i a defense lawyer but i was a federal agent. i have even warned wise. one of the things i'm concerned about is not so much manafort
1:05 pm
and gates in their arrests and everything, it's right now papadopoulos. because they have had papadopoulos under a microscope for some time. and i can tell you it's going to come out that papadopoulos has been wearing a wire. boy, that is where i think it could come in. now, when it comes to what you said, they're trying to squeeze these guys. manafort and gates, especially manafort, they want him to come over to their side and to be able to cooperate in the investigation. as a federal agent, i've done the same thing. >> shepard: in papadopoulos's case, it was the one count of lying. he could get that alleviated if he's cooperating or if he wore a wire and he talked to people the last weeks or months, right? >> absolutely. again, you'll find that they don't -- they know that they're not going to get manafort to wear a wire. he's like kryptonite to super man right now. nobody is going to want to come
1:06 pm
close to manafort. i'm sure the judge has ordered him to stay away from certain people in the administration and not have conversations with him. the one thing that all of these guys may have in their favor though, neil is the pardon power of the president of the united states. i got to tell you, mueller is trying to outflank that. mueller has got to state prosecutors. so what he's now looking at is hey, if you pardon them on federal charges, they still could very well be looking at state charges. so he's trying to get these people to sing. it's a terrible situation they're in. >> neil: ted, help me with this. much as been made of the fact that the president tweeted as much, look, all of these predate his association with me, at least the campaign. i'm paraphrasing here. but is he getting a little too cocky or, you know, thinking that manafort is not a worry because a lot of this predates
1:07 pm
his association with the campaign itself? even though some of these issues technically are concurrent with the campaign. what do you think? >> neil, to be candid with you, they don't -- the fbi, the federal agents, the prosecutors, they don't give a damn about what manafort did some time ago in the ukraine. they're using that as a pressure tool to get manafort to talk about what happened during the course of the trump campaign. remember, he was the political director for trump. >> neil: let me ask you this. we just got video of manafort arriving back home. it was from this home in the summer that fbi agents conducted, you know, a raid of the home while i believe he and his wife were sleeping. just ransacked the place to get
1:08 pm
in and all documents they could. what do you think they were after? >> they were after one thing to put pressure on him to make him nervous as the dickens. neil, they just went in. they didn't even ask him to knock and say hello we want to come in. they went in. they're trying to really rattle his cages. >> neil: you think that was too heavy-handed or by design heavy-handed? >> be design heavy-handed. you couldn't make a more eloquent statement about it. it's by design. you're right. there's going to be a fixation on gates, manafort and papadopoulos. it's going to suck all of the oxygen out of the room. i can tell you, one of these guys are going to break and not only that, neil, there's other people that mueller has under his control that is probably already talking.
1:09 pm
if those people are talking, i got to tell you, the white house needs to be nervous. >> ted, you're so good. ted williams puts it in perspective in a language that i can understand, which is clear. what is clear, to ted's point though, right now the president's agenda might not be as clear. he wants to get tax cuts done. he wants to obviously continue a economic agenda that rates well with the american people. again, part of that concern today at the corner of wall and broad, we'll get into this more later, maybe this disrupted that momentum. bob cusack has more on that. what do you think, bob? >> so much for tax cuts. we're going to see a bill on wednesday, but this is just going to dominate the week. i think it's going to be difficult for republicans to push that kind of bill if we're waiting for other indictments, maybe other indictments come. there's no doubt about it. last week some republicans were talking about, okay, it's time to wrap up these investigations and the timing of this is not
1:10 pm
coincidental with mueller then bringing one and then the first batch we see, okay, with manafort. there's no collusion. and then there's a campaign adviser and no smoking gun here. but without a doubt, you look at these indictments and they have more stuff coming. >> neil: i was talking to a guest on fox business about this, which if you don't get you should demand. but one of the issues, in a way this is going to help republicans being together in unison on this. they sure as heck are less likely to get democratic votes. as if that was a distinct possibility regardless. what do you make of that? >> i think there's something to that, neil. lindsey graham has said if we don't pass tax cuts, it's basically the end of the party. members have told me similar things. listen, we have to get it done. no matter what. there's going to be days they say where you think this bill is dead and we resurrect it. like healthcare. but they have to have a better
1:11 pm
ending or they will get killed in primaries and in the general election. >> neil: is it your sense, i was aware of this manafort session and the george papadopoulos character out of the blue. that surprised me. others say you're going to be similarly surprised with names and indictments that come out in the future. that's how it goes. is it your sense that that is the case? >> i think i so. there's a lot of speculation that it was manafort over the weekend and perhaps michael flynn. so i think there's definitely going to be some twists and turns. investigators throw out some of this stuff and see how people react to it. remember, i think that the manafort thing is very damming because there's more coming on him. they're embarrassing him, mocking his lavish lifestyle of how much money he liked to spend on cars and rugs. this is a real play on him to squeeze him. basically you talk or you're going to spend the rest of your life in prison.
1:12 pm
>> when you say squeeze him, i touched on this ted pryor. this notion that he would have to served up higher ups or people in the administration even though a lot of this might not involve those people. certainly up to the president we would think. is it the idea that you rattle a lot of cages? >> i think so. you rattle as many as you can. maybe there is no there there. but clearly i think that these investigators -- mueller is very well-respected as you know, neil. he's taken criticism that he's hired a fair amount of democrats that have donated to hillary clinton. regardless, this is a very aggressive team and will rattle a lot of cages. i think he just wants cooperation. it's clear that he's not getting cooperation from manafort. it's just depends on who will cooperate from this point on. >> neil: thank you very much. speaking of that and the wrath against mueller, there's an effort on the part of some key figures in the republican party to say mueller, you should go.
1:13 pm
a conflict of interest there. stocks selling off on a report that this is a distraction. that's one thing. but the corporate tax rates that are going to be cut will be cut all right, but might be spread out over as much as five years. then news that the upper income might not be getting their own bracket but could be a higher bracket and with their write-offs likely going as well, they could pay more taxes than they do already. not good for that bunch. not good for the aggressive position republicans are taking getting cuts done after this. [vo] when it comes to investing,
1:14 pm
looking from a fresh perspective can make all the difference. it can provide what we call an unlock: a realization that often reveals a better path forward. at wells fargo, it's our expertise in finding this kind of insight that has lead us to become one of the largest investment and wealth management firms in the country. discover how we can help find your unlock. i enjoy the fresher things in life.o. fresh towels. fresh soaps. and of course, tripadvisor's freshest, lowest... ...prices. so if you're anything like me... ...you'll want to check tripadvisor. we now instantly compare prices... ...from over 200 booking sites... ...to find you the lowest price... ...on the hotel you want. go on, try something fresh. tripadvisor.
1:15 pm
the latest reviews. the lowest prices.
1:16 pm
1:17 pm
>> this stock market is moving downwards on the news that possibly the corporate rate could be phased in over several years. i'm not sure if you were making the point that the president would be for the phase in or against it? >> no. the president laid out his principles and it doesn't include the phasing in. we're committed to that moving forward. i don't have any -- >> so the red line of the 20% -- >> i'm not drawing a red line. those are the principles we've laid out and haven't adjusted since we started. >> neil: okay from blake burman, you're welcome, america. the only network that was concerned as well about walking and chewing gum at the same kind and also mentioning there's a big tax cut that could be going back and forth and asking a
1:18 pm
legitimate question as to talk that they want to phase in the corporate tax cuts over years which rattled the markets. charlie gasparino is here with us and madison with "the new york times." that scared a lot of folks and fueled the argument that it's not smooth sailing and broad agreement on this subject. of course, we learned in the reagan years that a lot of tax cuts were phased in but by a lot bigger and more convincing margins. it's early. things could change on wednesday. what would the fallout be if we phased these in? they're not immediate. >> there will be people that are not happy to see these being phased in the that were to happen. that is not definite. the talks will continue and i know the president is very set on having a 20% rate off the bat, this is something that is important, something that will benefit the american people. will certainly benefit businesses across this country. >> what do you think, charlie? they're running out of options
1:19 pm
as far as getting democratic support, especially in light of the other theater here. they have to rally republicans and there's a lot of republicans worried about deficits and paying for things. what do you think? >> bryant schwartz broke it on your show, the fbn show, that this was in the -- this was in the works about a week ago. that the phase-in of the corporate tax cut is in the works. the fact that it's still on the table now, where a day before the house vote on the budget, which would include whatever deductions are in or out shows you that for all the president's rhetoric, this is still on the table. we should point out it's not just congress coming up with this. it's between congressional leaders and gary cohn, steve mnuchin. so this is something that the
1:20 pm
trump administration is looking at. i can tell you the market reaction is negative. listen, 70 points is not a lot when the market is at 23,000 going to 24. it's a stiff drop the minute the story -- >> neil: dropped 100 points. >> yeah, hit the wire. why are the markets going up? because of a real tax cut. they think it's a tax cut. both on the individual side and the corporate side. we know the individual side is -- they may even raise taxes. >> neil: madison, i want to pursue that with you. that's another rumor. it's an interesting item in the "wall street journal." not only are the rich going to have to settle for a rate that won't budge but maybe a rate that goes on top of losing deductions. again, we won't know officially until wednesday. just those gyrations on the corporate thing, this thing, a lot of moving parts here. do they concern you? >> there are a lot of moving parts. as i said before on your show, the president's goal here is to
1:21 pm
make sure that taxes are supply -- simplified and lower. >> neil: would you be surprised if they were raised? >> if they were raised, a lot of people would be unhappy. i would be unhappy. they should go down for the middle class, this is something that we promised to the american people and the president and congress continue to promise. we can't kick the can down the road. we need comprehensive tax reform and tax cuts. >> neil: if were to pass -- >> this is not reform. if you can look at what he wants to do and what deductions are off the table, my producer brian schwartz just broke the story on how they're going to debate the state and local tax, have a compromise on that deduction. if you keep that deduction in some way, guess what? there's -- they're going to look for offsets someplace else. >> neil: or phase it out for guys like you. >> tax reform means compressing
1:22 pm
the rates and getting rid of the loop holes. that's not what they're doing. >> neil: easier said thank done. there's the little issue in north korea. they want to send more satellites into orbit. lovely. at ally, we're doing digital financial services right. but if that's not enough, we have more than 8,000 ally's looking out for one thing, you. call in the next ten minutes to save on. and if that's not enough, we'll look after your every dollar. put down the phone. and if that's not enough, we'll look after your every cent. grab your wallet. access denied. and if that's still not enough to help you save. ooo i need these! we'll just bring out the snowplow. you don't need those! we'll do anything, seriously anything to help our customers. thanks. ally. do it right.
1:23 pm
1:24 pm
your insurance on time. tap one little bumper, and up go your rates. what good is having insurance if you get punished for using it? news flash: nobody's perfect. for drivers with accident forgiveness, liberty mutual won't raise your rates due to your first accident. switch and you could save $782 on home and auto insurance. call for a free quote today. liberty stands with you™ liberty mutual insurance.
1:25 pm
>> neil: all right. we're waiting on secretary of state tillerson and defense secretary mattis. they'll be ongoing discussions on how to deal with north korea. code pink is there. but that is the right in america. general, so much to get into. a gab, our options now given the increased belligerence out of north korea to talk about satellites and this other stuff. what do you make of it?
1:26 pm
>> this is pretty routine. korea uses the rockets that drive those satellites in space. that's what they're testing. they're very similar to what he will use with ballistic missiles. so he's actually testing the rocket engine. so i look at it as just another step getting closer to nuclearizing icbms. he hasn't done the ballistic missile testing in a couple months that he's done heretofore. i don't know if we've had some impact on that or not. i'm looking forward to the meeting that president trump is going to have with president xi that is just kind of coronated by the 19th communist congress. >> neil: what did you think of that? >> it is. his ambitions are so strategic and so geo political. he really sees that china will become the preeminent global
1:27 pm
power in the world replacing the united states. while there is more internal going on, xi is external. i do believe -- we'll see, but north korea blowing up as a result of kim jong-un and the problems he will cause are not in china's national interests. so you have to believe that after he has all of this power now that he will start exerting some of it on north korea and start bringing this thing to a halt. this crisis doesn't serve him well anymore. >> neil: you would think. we're just learning the white house is announcing the apprehension for a terrorist on benghazi. that resulted in the death of our ambassador and three others. the president has said because of this successful operation, he will face justice in the united states for the alleged attacks on benghazi. it would be some closure i
1:28 pm
imagine to the families involved. your thoughts. >> yeah, listen, i've been so frustrated by this for such a long time. we knew that night that the attack was conducted on a consulate, kill the ambassador and the other three americans also died unfortunately. we had to close our embassy down a year later. we have known that organization did that. president obama should have issued the finding to the central intelligence agency and told them and joint special operations command, destroy this organization as quickly as we can. they actually expected us to come for them. everybody was hunkering down and we did nothing. we never went after the organization. we have gotten two people as a result. the organization thrives in libya. should have been destroyed after what they have done to us. >> neil: general, i'd be remiss if i didn't mention the drama on capitol hill.
1:29 pm
the indictment and the george papadopoulos figure that could have already been wired and talking to a lot of people in order to extract a deal with federal authorities. the same with rick gates. do you think this mushrooms into something that, you know, cause as crisis here at home? >> i don't see the evidence of that to date. i just have an opinion like everybody else. i have to see something more than that for it to be -- you start to challenge the authority of a president and his ability to do his job. i don't see that at the present. >> thanks, general. i had to throw that out there. good to see you again. >> good talking to you again. >> neil: speaking of the indictments, the fall-out on the former fbi director and now the guy heading up this probe, robert mueller. a lot of people think that he's picking and choosing what really gets his attention and what gets
1:30 pm
indictments and what gets really a focus. to the point now that where my next guest says, maybe you're the problem, former director. maybe you're the one that has to go. after this.
1:31 pm
1:32 pm
>> neil: all right. won't be immediate. the markets selling off on news that the corporate tax cuts taken down from 35% to 20% but phased in over five years. if that's so, the fallout next.
1:33 pm
liberty mutual stood with me when i was too busy with the kids to get a repair estimate. liberty did what? yeah, with liberty mutual all i needed to do to get an estimate was snap a photo of the damage and voila! voila! i wish my insurance company had that... wait! hold it... hold it boys... there's supposed to be three of you... where's your brother? where's your brother? hey, where's charlie? charlie?! you can leave worry behind when liberty stands with you. liberty stands with you™ liberty mutual insurance.
1:34 pm
>> neil: all right. we're getting our first formal statement regarding paul manafort speaking through his attorney, kevin downing saying president trump was correct, there's no evidence the trump campaign colluded with the russian government. mr. manafort represented pro european union campaigns. he was seeking to further democracy and help the ukrainians come closer to the united states. those activities ended in 2014, two years before mr. manafort served in the trump campaign. let me skip further here. i maintain office shore accounts to bring all of your funds in the united states is a scheme to conceal from the united states government is ridiculous. there you go. all right. we have "new york post" columnist michael goodwin on putting the focus back on mr. mueller himself.
1:35 pm
your argument, michael, has been in therein lies the problem and the inherent conflicts that he generates, right? >> look, neil, from the very beginning, robert mueller had one major conflict. that was this relationship with james comey, who succeeded him at the fbi. comey is very instrumental and said he wanted a special counsel. that special counsel happened to be robert mueller. i think the events last week with the funding of the dossier coming into focus, that the democrats funded and the russian dossier and the fact that it probably was used by the obama white house and the obama justice department, the obama fbi as part of its investigation in donald trump. so because robert mueller worked for the obama administration, that's a major conflict. secondly, the uranium one deal,
1:36 pm
that would have happened when mueller was running the fbi. so i think that all of this fits neatly into an idea that this is a conflict that can't be corrected except for resignation. let me say, think of it as a supreme court justice. justice kagan had to recuse herself because of cases that she worked while she was in the white house. why should robert mueller be given the same thing? he has to be purer than caesar's wife here and the conflicts will muddy the water and will cut the credibility of whatever he comes with as relates to the president. >> neil: the other argument, it's too late. the train has left the station, a lot of this goes back to a time that to your point he served as fbi director.
1:37 pm
you could argument conflicts there and an affinity with the closeness to director comey. some reporters say that's a small camp in that club anyway. what do you say to that? that it's just not realistic. >> i agree it's difficult. we have moved down the road. the events of last week changed the dynamics. as i say, the emergence of the dossier into this issue now, because of the fact that the democrats paid for it and the fbi used it, you effectively have a very partisan operation going. because mueller was part of the partisan operation in the sense that he worked for the obama administration, which was trying to help hillary clinton and which used the dossier presumably for the unmasking and perhaps the fbi used it as well. so i think that there's just too much weight here. look, neil, if we go back to the campaign, if we go back to the whole issue of russia, russia,
1:38 pm
russia. it was how divided the country is. if we're going down the special counsel route and if the special counsel's findings are going to be seen as partisan at the end of the day, i think this is just further divides the country and i think a lot of people that i'm hearing from are saying, why -- how is mueller different from clinton in that sense? think of the things that happened in the fbi under mueller. all of these things then become fair game for people to say see? >> neil: would it be the case that someone would glean bias and argued add naeusum. >> you could have the investigation with a new person heading in the same way that the argument was made when james comey was fired. that didn't end the investigation. mueller took it over. so it's not about the investigation per se. it's about mueller's personal
1:39 pm
conflicts. >> neil: all right. michael goodwin, good seeing you again. >> my pleasure. >> neil: meantime, when home builders are saying the tax reform deal is dead with them, is it dead period? a very big group giving a thumbs down after this. it's a small finger...a worm! like, a dagger? a tiny sword? bread...breadstick? a matchstick! a lamppost! coin slot! no? uhhh... 10 seconds. a stick! a walking stick! eiffel tower, mount kilimanjaro!
1:40 pm
(ding) time! sorry, it's a tandem bicycle. what? what?! as long as sloths are slow, you can count on geico saving folks money. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
1:41 pm
this is todd hardy. a fitness buff, youth baseball coach-and lung cancer patient. the day i got the diagnosis, i was just shocked. the surgeon in dallas said i needed to have the top left lobe of my lung removed. i wanted to know what my other options were. and i found that at cancer treatment centers of america. at ctca, our experts examine a variety of therapies, treatments and technologies to identify a plan specifically for each patient. my doctor understood that who i am was just as important as what cancer i had. we talked about options. my doctor told me about a robotic surgery that was less invasive. we have excellent technology that allow us to perform very specialized procedures for patients who have lung disease. at ctca, it's all about what you can do.
1:42 pm
i feel fantastic now. exploring treatment options is at the heart of how we fight cancer. the evolution of cancer care is here. learn more about our treatment options at cancercenter.com/lung. appointments available now. >> neil: let's say you rather have the national home builders association with you on the tax cut. but the national association of
1:43 pm
home builders jerry howard said he couldn't do that. the mortgage interest deduction treated like it is right now just makes this unworkable. a credit going away that would address that. the fact that speaker paul ryan and others that oppose that, that's that. jerry howard with me earlier today. >> changes to the code water down and dilute the mortgage interest deduction that to the point the only super wealthy will take it. we don't think it's a good expenditure of the tax dollars. we went to chairman brady, we proposed a credit instead of a deduction, a credit, the benefits which would largely be enjoyed by the middle class. spur investment in housing. good social policy. costs less than the diluted mortgage interest deduction. we thought it was a great idea. i know chairman brady liked the idea. i think the speaker likes the idea but somebody said no. we have to walk away.
1:44 pm
>> neil: the credit idea would be a set dollar amount or just for different income groups? >> it's a set dollar amount with a cap on it. >> neil: in addition to doubling the standard deduction for a lot of families, this would be on top of that? >> yes, sir. >> neil: so their concern among the deficit hawks is how the heck are we going to pay for that. you say? >> i say that we're talking what is left of the mortgage interest deduction and using the tax expenditure geared to the wealthy and putting it toward the middle class. >> neil: all right. again, meantime, that doesn't look like it's going to happen. dan mitchell has more. how big of a deal with that when the home builders association is saying no, not us? >> obviously you want every interest group to be possible on your side. i can understand why the home builder's guy, he's in charge of defending his piece of the swamp. obviously when you combine that with the other swamp creatures trying to preserve the existing system, that's one of the
1:45 pm
reasons why this tax reform effort is so difficult. here's the thing i would say as an economist. it's not good for the long-term health of our economy when the tax code tilts the playing field so that you have more investment in housing and less investment in business. that's where we get the jobs and the higher wages. >> neil: i thought about it. like doubling the standard deduction, that's part of housing. that's a benefit. besides the difference i'll say with the national association of home builders, they have a lot of money, have a lot of influence on elections. he was very coy who he would go after. he made it clear if you're for this, we're against you. where is this going? >> it means that you have some republicans that are already very nervous about 2018 because they have not repealed obamacare or dealt with the entitlement problem. now if they don't do something right on taxes, the voters will
1:46 pm
be upset, but if they do something right on taxes, the interest groups will be upset with them which brings me back to the thing i've been complaining about from the beginning. if republicans had simply imposed some spending restraint, that would have freed up a lot of resources. a couple of trillion dollars to do a much more bold aggressive tax package where you wouldn't have had to step on so many toes in the swamp and get all of these interest groups against you. >> neil: a very good analogy. this is getting tamer and tamer, nor watered down by the minute. i don't fault republicans per se. the reality is this has to look like something resembling a balance measure over ten years. but the fact of the matter is, they're doing a lot of cuts and allowances to make the figures work, which seems this generational tax reform isn't reform. at best, it might be a staggered tax cut if we're to believe a lot of the reports on the
1:47 pm
corporate taxed cuts phased in over many years. where do you think this is going? >> in my fantasy world, i want to rip up the entire code and have a flat tax. i know that won't happen. so i'm not upset that we're doing sort of a halfway step. i am upset that that he half-way step is becoming a third way step. a quarter of a way step and maybe when it's all over and done with, it will only be a tenth of the way. given that russia is in the news right now, here's my deal. why don't we send podesta and manafort and hillary and all of them, let's send them to russia and russia can send us their 13% flat tax. both countries might be better as a result. >> neil: you think this is in danger of not passing? we'll get the details wednesday. we can be wrong on the things we're getting worked up about right now. but is there a sense that this doesn't happen? >> all it takes is what?
1:48 pm
25 or so republicans depending whether you can get any democrats in the house to vote with you. only takes a relatively small handful of republican house members to kill the deal and like-wise you only have to lose three republicans in the senate to kill the deal. so i think this thing really is on a knife's edge even though in my mind it is so critical with the high corporate tax rate, so many very serious problems that this package, it's though it's more watered down than i want, it would solve and address critical problems that would be so beneficial for wage earners and the american economy. >> neil: as you and i have gone into it, something is better than nothing. in the end, when push comes to shove, might not be your flat tax or something, but we'll see. >> thanks. >> neil: we'll see. thanks very much. you heard by now, paul manafort indicted on this mueller probe.
1:49 pm
the question is, where does this go going forward? to a key member of the house intelligence committee after this.
1:50 pm
1:51 pm
1:52 pm
>> neil: what happens now after the 12 count indictment of manafort and the question as to who was next and what is next. chris stewart, thank you for taking the time, congressman. >> what's next is tax reform. we are not going to be diverted from that. we are excited and enthusiastic and we're going to get it done. >> neil: is there concern among your colleagues that this is a distraction getting in the way, doesn't lock-in the notion that republicans have to get this over the finish line
1:53 pm
because you can't count on democratic help? >> a little bit may be. i guess it's a bit of a distraction. today we are talking about manafort incentive tax reform. you and i are talking about something different. it's a bit of a distraction. the republicans in the house are committed to doing this and moving forward and this doesn't tie directly back to the trump campaign. doesn't tied directly to the president. if they evaded the law and didn't register as foreign agents, they should be held accountable. most of us they left the special counsel to his work and we will do hours. >> neil: the reason we mention it is with george papadopoulos and whether he but be talking or trying to squeeze other players to get roped in, that it does escalate. you don't think it will?
1:54 pm
>> i really don't. maybe i am being naive but i don't think so. as a member of the committee, we've been looking at this for a long, long time. if i thought there was something there that was suspicious or uncomfortable that i thought it hasn't come out, maybe this compels it to come out, i might feel differently. but there just isn't. >> neil: okay. i only mention that, legal mind minds. judge napolitano worrying about a series of dominoes. you don't see that to be the case? >> i really don't. >> neil: about the tax cut, i'm glad you mentioned it. at face value, are you concerned with the national association of homebuilders says as it is now, we can't support it. others expressing concern about corporate tax cuts. others talking about a new bracket for the upper income folks that might mean they pay even more taxes than they do now.
1:55 pm
do any of these concern you or water down what you hoped would be a significant generational cut in taxes? >> what you said is so importan important. generational cut in taxes. something that i can look back 30 years from now like we look back in the 1980s and say i was proud to do it. for those who object, we don't know what's in it yet. this is so important. i can't tell you how many people i've met with about this. hundreds of meetings and they say we want to send this. you've got to protect that. i say listen, assuming you don't get that you have your corporate tax rate reduced to 20%, aren't you better off financially? aren't you paying less taxes? they say one of two things. one, we don't know or yeah, we probably will. you can't protect your goodies and still demand the corporate tax rate to be reduced that we wanted to. taken in totality, almost everyone is better off with
1:56 pm
this, including homebuilders and those who pay state and local taxes. >> neil: even in the high tax states, for the upper income, you are open to that? you're optimistic it gets passed? >> i am. i know some of my colleagues and good friends of mine from new york and california and these other high tax states, they are saying i can't support it. at the end of the day, some of the those guys will tell you there's no way i vote against this. there is no way i stop republicans from doing tax reform, and i think that's true. i think we are going to get many of those guys. >> neil: congressman, you could be right. we shall see. more after. this. four weeks without the car. okay, yep. good night. with accident forgiveness, your rates won't go up just because of an accident.
1:57 pm
switching to allstate is worth it.
1:58 pm
your rates won't go up just because of an accident. i enjoy the fresher things in life.o. fresh towels. fresh soaps. and of course, tripadvisor's freshest, lowest... ...prices. so if you're anything like me... ...you'll want to check tripadvisor. we now instantly compare prices... ...from over 200 booking sites... ...to find you the lowest price... ...on the hotel you want. go on, try something fresh. tripadvisor. the latest reviews. the lowest prices.
1:59 pm
>> neil: look who is coming back?
2:00 pm
home depot cofounder last time thing i don't need no stinking tax cut and neither does the rest of the country if it means we can help those folks who were hit hard by the hurricanes. what does he have to say no? is come here tomorrow. see you then. >> dana: i'm dana perino with kimberly guilfoyle, juan williams, jesse watters, and greg gutfeld. it's 5:00 in new york city and this is "the five" ." the russia investigation moving into a new phase today, the first indictments announced in a special counsel's probe and market compared president trump's former campaign chair paul manafort and one of his aides pleaded not guilty in federal court on charges including money laundering and conspiracy against the u.s. the indictment makes no mention of president trump, collusion, or t

39 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on