Skip to main content

tv   The Story With Martha Mac Callum  FOX News  October 30, 2017 4:00pm-5:00pm PDT

4:00 pm
special report. fair, balanced and unafraid. a lot of news these days. "the story" hosted by my colleague martha maccallum starts right now with the live handoff. >> martha: hello there, i've got it. thanks so much! busy monday, we pick up "the story" from here. good evening and welcome to "the story." breaking tonight, indictments for manafort and gates related not to the trim campaign, but to their years as lobbyists for ukraine. at the same time, another partner in those deals, tony podesta, democrat operative and brother of hillary clinton's campaign manager, shocked a lot of people today by stepping aside after his connections to manafort were revealed. what is to come there? where is the story going? is it wind it down or is it rubbing up? what about the clinton campaign's involvement? today paul manafort's attorney was to find after the court appearance.
4:01 pm
>> i think you all saw it today, president donald trump was correct, there is no evidence that mr. manafort or the trim campaign colluded with the russian government. you see an indictment brought by an office of special counsel that is using a very novel theory to prosecute mr. manafort regarding a file. the united states government has only used that offense six times since 1966, and only resulted in one conviction. the second thing about this indictment that i myself find most particular is the claim that maintaining offshore accounts to bring all your funds into the united states as a scheme to conceal from the united states government is ridiculous. >> martha: the white house pressing back hard. at the president we did this. "sorry, but years ago before paul manafort was part of the trauma can plane tell mike to my
4:02 pm
campaign, but wire cooking hillary the focus? also there is no collusion." we also learn more about the charges against one time campaign policy advisor george papadopoulos. he pled guilty to lying to the investigators when they came to talk to him about all of this about his time with the campaign. the white house on that had this to say. >> can you just explain what george papadopoulos' role in the campaign was? >> it was extremely limited, it was a volunteer position and again, no activity was ever done in an official capacity on behalf of the campaign in that regard. >> martha: big lineup tonight to break all this down for you. david bossi, former trump deputy campaign manager has the inside story for us in a moment, and law professor alan dershowitz with the legal fallout, but we take you first to the white house or ed henry is standing by with the very latest on this story tonight, which keeps popping. >> good developing. good to see you.
4:03 pm
i'm told the president's legal team met with him early to make sense out of all of this. the indictments and the guilty plea, and they came away from that believing this has nothing to do with the president and that they are confident special counsel robert mueller's probe will not lead to the oval office. however, these are deadly serious charges, criminal charges involving the president's former campaign chair. paul manafort and his business associate rick gates. both pleading not guilty, the two men facing up to 20 years in prisons and the 12 indictment counts dating back to around 2006, allegedly funneling $75 million through shell companies while working for a pro-russian political party in the ukraine. years before the 2016 election. in terms of actual collusion in that election, andrew mccarthy writes in national revealed "the paul manafort indictment is much to do about nothing, except as a deal to squeeze in manafort, which is a special counsel
4:04 pm
robert mueller's objective." ty cobb says they are not worried at all about squeezing either manafort or potentially down the road former national security advisor, general michael flynn. he suggests they can flip on the president because they have nothing, telling a podcast for "the new york times" "the president has no concerns in terms of any impact as to what happened to them on his campaign or on the white house." as you noted, it turns out today's indictment also implicates democratic lobbyist tony podesta, brother of clinton campaign chair john podesta. in the indictment, the podesta group is listed as company be which work with manafort engaged to lobby on behalf of that pro-russian political party. tony podesta today revealing he will step down from his firm. perhaps more worrisome for the white house, there was the surprise that foreign policy advisor george papadopoulos pleaded guilty to lying to the fbi about a conversation he had in 2016 with a professor close to the russian government, who claims he had dirt on
4:05 pm
hillary clinton, though senator sanders tried to downplay his role. >> would you say he had no official capacity, what do you mean by that? >> he was a volunteer on the campaign and a volunteer member of an advisory council. >> papadopoulos was photographed with candidate trump what counted him as an advisor and a fine man during board meetings at "the washington post." today's police as the advisor had several interactions with russians and has been cooperating with the special counsel since july, at the bottom line is there is still no evidence from everything that happened today that there was any collusion in the last election, though the big mystery tonight is why papadopoulos lied to the fbi if he had nothing to hide. >> martha: great question, thank you very much. david bossie, former deputy campaign manager, also fox news contributor, good evening to you. thanks for being here as always. i guess to jump forward for a moment, the papadopoulos issue, you were on the campaign when he
4:06 pm
was there, did you know him? >> no. he was not there when he was there. i came on at the end of the campaign. steve bannon and kellyanne conway came on in mid-august and i came on just after. >> martha: so you weren't there until september and he was there in march. did you interact with him? >> never heard of him. >> martha: okay. if the concern that he may have been wearing a wire, that he may have still been involved in talking to people at the campaign, what you think about that? >> i think that's far-fetched. no one knows, but the campaign ended almost a year ago now. i think the potential of him wearing a wire at the campaign, i don't see where this investigation would have been at any stage to have done that first. secondly, i wish he was, because there was no collusion so i think that that would be a nice thing to be able to prove to people. >> martha: in terms of some of the other reports that are out
4:07 pm
there tonight, one says that the white house is more concerned about rick gates because he maintained with his relationships longer than paul manafort did with people at the white house and also that they weren't relieved that it was not michael flynn today, but of course i could still calm. >> anything is possible, martha, but obviously rick gates and paul manafort ran the campaign for about eight weeks. they were in charge, and they were there a little bit before paul manafort actually took ove over. but they were there for about eight weeks in charge and i can just submit to you that when i got there at the end of august, there was nothing to do, no discussion whatsoever about russia, russia collusion, anything like that. it just is far-fetched and i understand why the president is frustrated, because he can only say there was no collusion so many times and then you look at the uranium one deal, you look
4:08 pm
at what's going on with the dnc and others paying for this mysterious dossier. there's a lot of questions about that in actual fact, and there's none as it comes to -- out of this to indictments and his guilty plea. nothing to do with the campaign or collusion. >> martha: we will dig into that a bit more in a moment. just a question for you, because a lot of people said today that this was not a big surprise. he looked at the indictments and you looked at the conspiracy charges that were laid out in this indictment that a lot of people knew that paul manafort had a lot of business relationships that they thought were questionable. when he was -- when you were observing all this, and you were sort of in the larger circle throughout it before you came on, did you think it was a mistake to hire him in the first place? >> i did. to be honest with you, martha, i don't know paul manafort well at all. but i know that -- i personally didn't think he was the delicate
4:09 pm
hunter, the right mix, the right makeup for the campaign. i thought of that not because of his business dealings, just because he hadn't been involved in the campaign really since the advent of the fax machine. somebody was surprised that he would be in charge. >> martha: there's one quote from him saying to one of his russian clients, and all is -- since i'm not associated with the campaign maybe we can help me get wholeness. what do you think about that? do think he was using his relationship with the campaign to continue to get money out of his relationships in ukraine? >> again, that's what it sounds like. it sounds like people who have a little tiny bit of access in one case, but paul manafort, he was obviously the campaign manager and he is somebody who obviously
4:10 pm
was trying to -- had other business dealings that he was trying to move forward obviously. >> martha: 's that's one of the reasons he was no longer with the campaign. david, always good to see you, thank you very much. >> thanks for having me. >> martha: next as a special counsel in this case can be "dangerous." here to explain that and more what he thinks about the today's double dome active elements, alan dershowitz. how criminalization of political differences in dangerous democracy. always good to see you, good to have you here. you said today you think that manafort is domino number one, what do you mean? >> there's no question that although span didn't do anything that had anything to do with the russian probe or anything like that, his indictment has everything to do with trump. they never would have indicted him for money laundering or tax evasion if you want somebody with a thought could turn on trump, could provide information or evidence, if not trump,
4:11 pm
somebody higher up in the chain between manafort and trump. this is domino's. you knocked on the first domino, not next on the second domino. ultimately what they are aiming for is the big domino in the oval office. i don't think it will get him. i don't think they have anything, because collusion, even if were to be established, isn't a crime. you have to find something that actually violates the federal criminal statutes. i don't think they're even close to that. >> martha: you say that jared kushner could be one of the dominoes to fall here? >> anybody who was close to donald trump at this point. >> martha: based on what? >> is a target. in his case they will may be allege that he failed to disclose something on his farm. nobody is ever prosecuted for that, but if they can find anybody for jaywalking, that's what mueller would do. if the goal is to get somebody and squeeze and squeeze. >> martha: tackles back to what you said initially. having a special counsel, whether a democrat or republican, because they are higher and they tend to sort of
4:12 pm
began to pull the strings if they don't appear to be getting anywhere. one of the points that's often brought up is bill clinton didn't meet monica lewinsky until 18 months after the special prosecutor begin the investigation. this could go on and on. >> this could go on and on and there are no limits to what an independent special counsel can do. in this shows that because all they are trying to do -- this is what they do with the mafia, this is what they do with terrorist cases, with corporate crime cases. they find a low-hanging fruit, to find a guy who they can go after because of his tax returns, or something else, or he didn't file a form, then they threaten him. if a civilian to that it would be called extortion, but a prosecutor is allowed to extort essentially. the problem is they want him to sing, but some of these people also want to compose. they want to come out with even better evidence, because the better the evidence the sweeter the deal. any criminal lawyer will tell
4:13 pm
you that we've seen a lot of witnesses who were cooperating witnesses who made up stories. that's why maybe they try to get a wire on some of these witnesses, because you can't make up a wire. but you can make up what you remember, what you saw, you can exaggerate it. as a civil libertarian, i have been opposed to this for years. i'm opposed to it whether the republicans are doing it against her liquids and or whether the democrats are doing it against donald trump. i really think that our criminal justice system, lock her up, endangers all of our rights and our democracy. i hope we can pull back and stop doing that. if you don't like what donald trump did, don't vote for him. if you don't like what hillary clinton did, put her in the wastebasket of history if that's what you think. but using criminal charges is very dangerous. >> martha: always good to see you alan dershowitz. coming up next, what does this mean for special counsel robert mueller? >> the president said last week,
4:14 pm
i believe it was last week, and i've said several times before, there's no intention or plan to make any changes in regards to the special counsel. >> martha: mixed reactions tonight on what the former fbi director's role should be given the growth into even the democratic party in this investigation and the fact that he was overseeing the fbi at the time. house intelligence committee member pete king joins me in a moment on that varied and new reports raising some serious questions about the democrats involvement in the anti-trump dossier. and possibly a link to former president barack obama as well. we will show you what that is. plus the virginia governor's race turning so ugly as a new democratic add portrays republicans as confederates hunting down minority children. we will show you those things when we come back. former arkansas governor mike huckabee weighs in on that with his take. if we will hear what he thinks of it when we come back. more on the "the story." ♪
4:15 pm
so this one says ... ... dealership has great customer service ... (muffled voice) ... and has great deals! ... and has ... ... complimentary donuts. ... that's the one! cars.com. over 5 million expert and user reviews. remember that accident i got in with the pole, and i had to make a claim and all that? is that whole thing still dragging on? no, i took some pics with the app and... filed a claim, but... you know how they send you money to cover repairs and... they took forever to pay you, right? no, i got paid right away, but... at the very end of it all, my agent... wouldn't even call you back, right? no, she called to see if i was happy. but if i wasn't happy with my claim experience for any reason, they'd give me my money back, no questions asked.
4:16 pm
can you believe that? no. the claim satisfaction guarantee, only from allstate. switching to allstate is worth it.
4:17 pm
that's a good thing, but it doesn't cover everything. only about 80% of your part b medical expenses. the rest is up to you. so consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan,
4:18 pm
insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. like any of these types of plans, they could save you in out-of-pocket medical costs. call unitedhealthcare insurance company today to request a free decision guide. with these types of plans you'll be able to visit any doctor or hospital that accepts medicare patients. join the millions who have already enrolled in the only medicare supplement insurance plans endorsed by aarp. and provided by unitedhealthcare insurance company, which has over 30 years of experience behind it. apply for a medicare supplement insurance plan any time you want. so don't wait. call unitedhealthcare now to request your free decision guide. >> martha: breaking tonight, as the first charges of the special counsel robert mueller's russia investigation continue to
4:19 pm
send shock waves through rushing dome at washington, some new questions tonight about what the future holds for mueller. the white house has president trump has no intention of firing him despite what many democrats may think. >> we have to make sure that the white house, president trump, does not fire robert mueller, because that would be clearly something that he would be considering right now in order to shut down this investigation. >> the president must not under any circumstances, in any way, interfere with the special counsel's work. >> martha: house intelligence committee member peter king joins me now. good to see you tonight congressman. is that a real concern on their part? >> no, it really is not. i've heard nothing from the white house other than they want to cooperate. they feel it's going well, and hearing that secondhand, but there's no indication at all from anyone that the president wants to get rid of bob mueller.
4:20 pm
if the president is not happy about the investigation because he's convinced that there's no collusion, but the reality is that there a special counsel in the white house was fully cooperating. his lawyers at the white house are cooperating entirely with bob mueller, totally. >> martha: what's your take away from today's term i do feel the white house should feel this is heading in a favorable direction for them, or do you think it's just a beginning? >> i've said all along, i've heard no testimony at all, i'm on the intelligence committee, in any way shows any collusion whatsoever. the fact that manafort and gates were indicted today has nothing to do with the campaign, nothing to do with president trump. it involves incidents going back seven years ago. i think this is an attempt by mueller nk manafort have something on president trump, which i'm convinced he doesn't, to try and turn them. that's what that is. as far as papadopoulos, i never heard of him, i didn't know anything about him, and it
4:21 pm
seemed to me -- i don't want to prejudge it, but if you are going to be involved in some sort of collusion, he will not pick someone that no one has heard of and by all accounts so far, everything he tried to do as far as setting up meetings with mushrooms was rejected by the white house. >> martha: specific quotes from paul manafort saying that he does not -- just to make it clear, the president is not going to take in a meeting of that sort and somebody down the chain should let them know that. i do want to ask a quick question about tax reform because i know there's an 8:30 phone call tonight with members of congress and the white house. i know you've been very concerned that that tax deal would include the elimination of the state and local tax deductions. how is that going? >> there's been some progress, chairman of the ways and means committee has said they will allow the property tax deduction to continue, but they will not allow the state income tax deduction and to me that would be a big hit against my
4:22 pm
constituents. if the property tax, that's a step forward but the fact they still want to keep the state income tax outcome and to me that would have a real impact on my constituents, and i cannot sign onto that certainly at this stage because i want everyone to get a tax cut. i don't want the rest of the country to get a tax cut and have my stick to my constituents subsidizing it. >> martha: the initial budget deal was a lot closer than anyone thought it would be. is that the kind of picture you expect to see on the real bill, the way it looks right now? >> final bill was 216 -- nonnumber of members of congress who i believe would vote against the tax deal as it was written right now. they voted because they wanted to move it forward and give the ways and means committee time to come out with more details. so i understand. the fact is republican leadership is very concerned that of the 216 they could lose another 5-10 of them. they are concerned. >> martha: no doubt they will be listening on that phone call
4:23 pm
tonight. we will hear what comes out of it. peter came, good to see you tonight. >> thank you. >> martha: jay christian adams was a justice department attorney during the george w. bush administration and he joins us with his thoughts on all of his big news and development tonight. good to see you tonight, welcome to the program again. what you make of these charges, what do they say to you? >> it's a pretty weak debut. don't forget my attorney general jeff sessions recused himself. because of something involving russian collusion, but when you read the indictment, it striking how these are charges from things that happened a long time ago, have nothing to do with russia, yet take a look at how the attorneys who drafted it struggled to inject russia into the story. they talk about the president of the u.k. fleeing to moscow. he >> martha: with all that out. let me put it on the screen while you explain why you picked out the sentence and why you think that it was -- it reflects politicalization of this document. >> all through the indictment you have these unnecessary
4:24 pm
illusions to russia that have nothing to do with laundering ukrainian money. nothing of paying a rug store to take your money. it all has to do with keeping the russia story alive by dribbling these little hints that there something more nefarious than rank money laundering going on. i think that's a problem with the team that mueller has assembled. there's been plenty of reporting about who these lawyers are and it's really time to examine whether or not this investigation is going anywhere. this is a terribly weak debut. >> martha: you say that mueller should resign or be fired, why? >> i think rod rosenstein needs to get this under control. he's the deputy attorney general and jeff sessions resigned because this was supposed to be about russia, not rug stores. this was supposed to be about collusion, not wire transfers to pay your mortgage. we aren't really seeing what we were promised for the last several months for the democrats. >> martha: always good to see you, thank you very much.
4:25 pm
still to come tonight, the democrats growing connection to the antitrust dossier. >> are not an election law expert, but the good news is you don't have to be to understand the absurdity of believing that you can launder all of your campaign money by just hiring a law firm. >> martha: now there are reportedly some who are drawing a connection between president obama and the law firm that funneled that money to fusion gps. we will break that down. former congressman jason chaffetz and matt bennett, forming a gel like assistant next a new nfl protest, but the show of solidarity had nothing to do with disrespecting our country. find out why they did it when we come back. >> we came together as a team and wanted to send a message and that's what we decided to do, stand by my brothers. ♪
4:26 pm
endless shrimp is here with flavors you'll love. like new savory grilled mediterranean shrimp. and new sweet and spicy nashville hot shrimp. plus our classics like garlic shrimp scampi. try as much as you want however you want 'em, but don't wait, it ends soon.
4:27 pm
4:28 pm
4:29 pm
>> martha: new questions tonight about who paid what, and when, for the now infamous trump dossier. there are no reports that an obama-aligned group paid nearly a million dollars to that law firm that was heard -- to gather all the research.
4:30 pm
trace gallagher live in our west coast newsroom with the back story. >> the federalist is now reporting that former president obama's campaign organization paid the law firm $972,000 added in reference to that story, president trump tweeted the following. "report out that obama campaign paid 970-2002 fusion gps, the firm also got 12,400,000, really, from dnc, nobody knows who okayed." it appears -- the obama campaign reportedly did pay money to them, there is no evidence that they paid that money to fusion. it's significant because hillary clinton's campaign and the democratic national committee did pay $9 million to the firm and in turn that money was paid to fusion gps.
4:31 pm
that's when fusion hired christopher steele, the former british intel officer who wrote the now infamous dossier, a document filled with lurid allegations about donald trump that had been widely discredite discredited. meantime, the washington free beacon is trying to get as far away from the dossier as possible. the free beacon does the knowledge initially hiring fusion gps to get dirt on them-candidate donald trump during the g.o.p. primaries, but the conservative publication goes on to say "the free beacon has no knowledge of, or connection to the dossier provided payment for any work performed by christopher steele." if no connection the dossier does not mean they are back in the president's good gracious. in fact, former white house strategist chief steve bannon e off the chain to destroy -- he's the man who finances washington free beacon.
4:32 pm
>> martha: going off the chain he said. thank you very much. there with mark, jason chaffetz, former house oversight committee chairman. and matt bennett, former assistant to president bill clinton. jason, let me start with you. what you think about that band"? >> look, when you have republicans going after republicans, the free beacon is just doing its background and its research. if there was an actual tie the knot would be one thing, but steve bannon is free to do what he wants. he's in the private sector, he could do what he wants. >> martha: >> martha: matt, in f the milk money that was funneled through the law firm to fund this dossier through fusion gps, many are saying that that's a clearer link to trying to get russian help to influence the election and pretty much anything they've seen on the trump side. >> i don't know who these many are but here's a couple of things that are true, first of
4:33 pm
all, much of what is in the dossier the u.s. intelligence says is probably true. second, -- >> martha: christopher steele said that the whole thing was never verified and it was never meant to be made public. >> when asked, the cia and others in the intelligence community has had that a lot of it is true. the point is this, what christopher steele was doing is talking to russians about what they knew of trump. he wasn't necessarily talking to the russian government. with the mueller investigation is looking at is whether the russian government was involved in some sort of direct involvement in u.s. elections, perhaps through connection to the trump campaign. those are very, very different things. let me just say about the obama -- >> martha: things lead to the government in russia one way or another. jason do you want to respond to that? >> 's bickley of the dnc, hillay clinton's campaign putting in more than $10 million and nobody
4:34 pm
seems to remember who authorized, then you have obama for america, about 20% of their expenditure, $972,000 goes to this law firm, then somebody in the communications team at the obama white house whose husband happens to just work for fusion gps. i'm sure that's all just a terrible coincidence, but suddenly now nobody can remember anything about whatever. i don't remember that big expenditure. >> martha: matt, what do you think you might >> the obama campaign uses the firm, as does virtually every campaign and politics because they are the words with leading experts in election law. if they were paying them to finish the work they were doing on the obama campaign. it takes about ten years to wind down a presidential campaign. the idea that there were this law firm or is involved in this is nuts. >> that's why you have to follow up with what paul ryan said was going to happen this week, which
4:35 pm
is the fbi giving congress all of the financial documents so they can follow that financial trail. they have to get to that. >> martha: to get paid for ten years after the election, we are all in the wrong business. that's a pretty good deal. i do want to ask jason chaffetz about some unkind comments who were made in an exhaustive piece about the postretirement john boehner, who obviously used to be speaker of the house. here's what he said about you, jason. apparently there is love lost there. trey gowdy, that's my guy, even though he does not addressed. then he leans back in his chair and said blank jordan come up blank chaffetz." you can read the rest. >> i held no ill will towards the speaker but i was a little surprised to see that. if john boehner supported memory for chairman of the oversight committee. i wouldn't have been the chairman if it weren't for john boehner, but that has an expectation from the seniormost leadership that you hand over your boating card and you get
4:36 pm
online and support everything they did and i just wasn't that kind that's not what i did, -- if you're going to let me together with jim jordan, i'm okay with that. >> martha: is the upper christmas card list? >> i didn't get a present from them last year. >> martha: could to see you today. still had tonight on "the story," a new sexual assault allegation against an a-list actor, but it's kevin spacey's response that is creating a big controversy and "house of cards" is no more. but first, the virginia governor's race takes a dark turn and a new political act compares republicans to confederates for driving through the steep atomic streets in dark glasses hunting down children. we will show you that. former governor mike huckabee will join me with his take after this. ♪ ur brain. with an ingredient originally found in jellyfish,
4:37 pm
prevagen is the number one selling brain-health supplement in drug stores nationwide. prevagen. the name to remember. (avo) but you also have a higher risk of heart attack or stroke. non-insulin victoza® lowers a1c, and now reduces cardiovascular risk. victoza® lowers my a1c and blood sugar better than the leading branded pill. (avo) and for people with type 2 diabetes treating cardiovascular disease, victoza® is now approved
4:38 pm
to lower the risk of major cardiovascular events such as heart attack, stroke, or death. and while it isn't for weight loss, victoza® may help you lose some weight. (avo) victoza® is not for people with type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. do not take victoza® if you have a personal or family history of medullary thyroid cancer, multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2, or if you are allergic to victoza® or any of its ingredients. stop taking victoza® and get medical help right away if you get symptoms of a serious allergic reaction such as rash, swelling, difficulty breathing or swallowing. serious side effects may happen, including pancreatitis. so, stop taking victoza® and call your doctor right away if you have severe pain in your stomach area. tell your doctor your medical history. gallbladder problems have happened in some people. tell your doctor right away if you get symptoms. taking victoza® with a sulfonylurea or insulin may cause low blood sugar. common side effects are nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, decreased appetite, indigestion, and constipation. side effects can lead to dehydration, which may cause kidney problems.
4:39 pm
ask your doctor about victoza®.
4:40 pm
i want ycome on mom!t easy. go slow. ♪ let's go! ♪ mom! slow down! for the ones who keep pushing. always unstoppable. coaching means making tough choices. jim! you're in! but when you have high blood pressure and need cold medicine that works fast, the choice is simple. coricidin hbp is the #1 brand that gives powerful cold symptom relief without raising your blood pressure. coricidin hbp.
4:41 pm
>> martha: in just a week, voters in virginia will head to the polls to the states that's governor. polls show that it's a tight race between republican ted gillespie and democrat ralph. supporters on both sides not holding back to get their got elected. just look at this new attack ad from a democratic latino group. [indistinct] >> run! >> run, run, run! come on!
4:42 pm
>> is this what donald trump and ted gillespie mean by the american dream? >> martha: wow. here is former arkansas governor mike huckabee. also i fox news contributor, good evening, governor. what do you think about that? >> politics can be really sleazy sometimes, martha, but whoever made that ad should have to go to a car wash and be hosed off before they are ever allowed inside another facility where human beings exist. that was just disgustingly low, and i just can't imagine that anybody would embrace that kind of ad. i think it's the type of ad that will backfire and actually help gillespie, because it's just so disgusting and so beyond the pale. >> martha: you think that kind of ad, you are right, that is
4:43 pm
one of the worst that i've ever seen. we remember paul ryan throwing grandma off the cliff and all kinds of things like all the way back to andrew jackson. john quincy adams called his mother a murderer and his wife an adulterous or something. politics, as you say, gets pretty low. but what does this add say about sort of how low, how rough it is in terms of how we are going after each other out there toda today? >> it's one thing to go after people for issues, and to be very specific about it. but that's not what this is. this is the character assassination by association, and that's what makes it so incredibly disgusting. they don't even say that this represents ed gillespie, but they are even trying to say that there is somebody out there supports ed gillespie who would think this. first of all, we don't know that, and ed gillespie is not this person at all. he's an honorable guy.
4:44 pm
i wonder if ralph northam will disavow this ad and condemn it because if he doesn't, then he has embraced it and then he's as sleazy as the ad that's trying to get him elected. that's the real question for virginia voters in this ad presumes they are really stupid. this ad presumes they can think for themselves and that they would be able to be suckered in by something this despicable. let's hope not. >> martha: let's go terrify some small children and send them running for the streets while a man with dark sunglasses chases them until they go over a fence, and teach kids that that represents conservatism or republicanism in this country. i think it's a pretty low point, as you say. i want to take your attention to the 2010 when he presidential race, and there's a lot of suggestion that president trump could potentially face a challe, or that he might decide not to run, even from the two gentlemen that share that stayed with him, as you did as well.
4:45 pm
let's hear what they had to say. >> i don't think anybody can stop primaries from happening and there could be a primary that happens. before you get to that, you need to know if he's running for reelection. i think you won't know that until you get into the second and third year of his presidency. >> i'm not so sure what will happen. four years is a long time, especially for someone who has not spent a lifetime in politics. >> martha: what you make of that? >> let me first of all clarify. i'm not running, i don't know about any of those other guys, but i'm done. get that off the table. >> martha: we will miss you on the debate stage. >> [laughs] i think he very likely will run again and i will tell you something, if he does, he will win again. the very people who are already speculating about willie, will he not, will there be a primary opponent? these are the same people who said that he has no pathway to the nomination, no pathway to the presidency.
4:46 pm
let's see. who's sitting in the white house tonight? it ain't those people who said he had no pathway. it's a little bit early to be throwing flowers at his gravesite politically. >> martha: he seems to be -- despite everything that's going on, and what we spent the first third of the show talking about, seems to be enjoying the office and the work quite a bit. >> i think he has. >> martha: that's the impression that we get. governor huckabee, thank you very much. good to see you as always, maybe you'll change your your mind, you never know. >> i don't think so. happy halloween. >> martha: you too. when we come back... >> this is how you view us. get out of line, you are an inmate. >> martha: almost the entire houston texans football team took a knee before sunday's game, but they say it had nothing to do with what you usually see as the reason for that.
4:47 pm
caldwell and richard fowler take on that debate coming up next. ♪ financial services right. but if that's not enough, we have more than 8,000 ally's looking out for one thing, you. call in the next ten minutes to save on. and if that's not enough, we'll look after your every dollar. put down the phone. and if that's not enough, we'll look after your every cent. grab your wallet. access denied. and if that's still not enough to help you save. ooo i need these! we'll just bring out the snowplow.
4:48 pm
you don't need those! we'll do anything, seriously anything to help our customers. thanks. ally. do it right. when it comes to reducing the evsugar in your family's dietom. coke, dr. pepper, and pepsi hear you and we're working together to do just that. bringing you more great tasting beverages with less sugar or no sugar at all. smaller portion sizes, clear calorie labels, and reminders to think balance. because we know mom wants what's best. more beverage choices, smaller portions, less sugar. balanceus.org i have no idea how we're going to get through this. follow me. unitedhealthcare has the people and tools
4:49 pm
to help guide you through the confusion. well that wasn't so bad at all. that's how we like it. unitedhealthcare.
4:50 pm
4:51 pm
>> martha: a new protest, and a sign of solidarity on the sunday nfl sidelines yesterday as all but six players on the houston texans took a knee during the national anthem. but the players say that it was not about the flag, but what about team owner bob mcnair said during an nfl owners meeting last week. he said "we can't have the inmates running the prison." he has since apologized. he said the comment was not aimed at the players and was taken out of context, but the damage was already done and here now, caldwell, republican
4:52 pm
strategist and fox news political analyst, and richard fowler, nationally syndicated radio talk show host and a fox news contributor. welcome, good to see both of you tonight. i think it's eight or nine weeks into the bar stomach protest that we've been watching on the nfl, but this one came really as the result of the comment that was made by bob mcnair. what did you make of it? >> i thought it was a stupid and irresponsible comment and provides gravitas to those who would say that these owners have been utilizing players in a racial way. it does, in that sense and it reminded me of another comment by a cowboys executive who told the nflpa, national football league players association, we are the ranchers, referring to being an owner, and you guys of the cattle, and we can always get more cattle. when you think about those kinds of works, and of course i respect the rights of the owners to do whatever they will with their players within the bounds of the law, but when you think about it in that context, its
4:53 pm
own appropriate, it's something they should say and they should really change their way of being around the issue like this. it's no longer about racial injustice, it's about players not protesting anybody that they have a grievance with, whether it be president trump or nfl owners. >> martha: there's been discussion, far off and probably very slim chances that espn might even stop airing nfl football games because this has just turned into such a weight on the game. >> i think that's absolutely right. it has turned into a weight on the game and this owner has also weighed in to this larger narrative and this larger problem. i think his language speaks to -- there's so much hidden language in that particular quote. we can't have the inmates run the jail. and what that means to those failures tell my players, and a team, a lot of the protests have said we respect our owner and we are not going to engage and now because our owner has sort of slapped us
4:54 pm
in the face with his language that some would argue is racially insensitive, morally insensitive, inconceivable. now these players have taken amy and they have said this will continue because this owner has not tried to say if i really wasn't talking about you guys, obvious to the audience. >> martha: saying they would all work towards unity, week one after that, is it really going so well, they better start over in that effort. also today, netflix pulling the plug on the popular political drama "house of cards" a day after actor kevin spacey became embroiled in a scandal. "star trek" discovery star anthony rapp says that spacey sexually assaulted him in 1986 when rapp was just 14 years old. spacey's response created more controversy. he said he doesn't remember it and then he took the opportunity to come out as. your thoughts? >> go ahead. >> i didn't know that it was
4:55 pm
really a secret about kevin but i think, honestly speaking, i'm in hollywood right now and i will tell you that the culture of sexual exploitation is about to be revealed and i think it's just as big as a hollywood blockbuster. i meet with people in the hollywood elite on a regular basis and they tell me that this kind of stuff has been going on for years and do something that now that everybody is able to come out and actually be protected in that way, there's going to be a lot more stories coming out like this. >> martha: richard, about ten seconds, i'm sorry, i'm getting cut off. >> i think there's something to be said about him hiding and shielding his and coming out. >> martha: bad choice of words. >> coming out is the hardest thing to do. >> martha: we will take a quick break and talk more about it when we come back. ♪ humira has a proven track record of being prescribed for nearly ten years.
4:56 pm
it's the number one prescribed biologic by dermatologists. more than 250,000 patients have chosen humira to fight their psoriasis. and they're not backing down. for most patients clearer skin is the proof. humira can lower your ability to fight infections including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma have happened, as have blood, liver and nervous system problems. serious allergic reactions and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. join over two hundred and fifty thousand people who have chosen humira. ask your dermatologist about humira and go. at lincoln financial, we get there are some responsibilities of love you gotta do on your own. and some you shouldn't have to shoulder alone.
4:57 pm
like ensuring your family is protected, today and tomorrow, no matter what the future brings. see how life insurance from lincoln can help start protecting your family's financial future now, at lincolnfinancial.com. our recent online sales success seems a little... strange?nk na. ever since we switched to fedex ground business has been great. they're affordable and fast... maybe "too affordable and fast."
4:58 pm
what if... "people" aren't buying these books online, but "they" are buying them to protect their secrets?!?! hi bill. if that is your real name. it's william actually. hmph! affordable, fast fedex ground. directv has been rated #1 in customer satisfaction over cable for 17 years running. but some people still like cable. just like some people like banging their head on a low ceiling. drinking spoiled milk. camping in poison ivy. getting a papercut. and having their arm trapped in a vending machine. but for everyone else, there's directv. for #1 rated customer satisfaction over cable switch to directv. call 1-800-directv. [notification tone] ♪ i love your vest. your crocheted purses have wonderful eyes.
4:59 pm
♪ in the modern world, an app can help you find your perfect match. and with esurance, coverage counselor® can help you find great coverage that's a perfect match too. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. an allstate company. click or call. this one's below market price and has bluetooth. same here, but this one has leather seats! use the cars.com app to compare price, features and value. >> martha: halloween a day early at the white house today. the president and the first lady handed out candy to the children who came by from local schools
5:00 pm
and military families. everybody got a white house cookie and a presidential eminem. that sounds good, make sure you get your trick-or-treat done early because we will be here at 7:00 p.m. tomorrow night and we will see you then. tucker is up next. ♪ >> tucker: good evening and welcome to "tucker carlson tonight." we have exclusive new reporting on a story that has turned washington upside down and caused more intrigue than anything in the city i've seen in 25 years. of course you've heard independent counsel robert mueller's investigation has zeroed in on its first targets. today, former donald trump campaign manager paul manafort and his business associate rick gates were both indicted on charges of money laundering, tax fraud, and failure to report lobbying arrangements. the indictment, among other things, offers tantalizing details about how foreign lobby actually works at the highest levels in washington.

70 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on