Skip to main content

tv   Tucker Carlson Tonight  FOX News  November 6, 2017 5:00pm-6:00pm PST

5:00 pm
now for the second leg of the big asia tour, and there he is. if we cut complete coverage throughout the night here on fox news channel. we will see you back here tomorrow night at 7:00, tucker carlson coming up next. >> tucker: live pictures from the airbase outside tokyo, japan, an american airbase, president of the united states and his wife bordering wow boarding air force one to fly to seoul, south korea, for the next leg of his asia tour. his daughter broke off from the trip in japan, returned to the united states to make the taste further republican tax bill. we will talk to her about that in just a minute on the show. aren't you breaking news the deadliest church shooting in american history. police still putting together the evidence of the sutherland spring texas case. devin patrick kelley murdered 26 people, injured at least 20. good evening and welcome to
5:01 pm
"tucker carlson tonight." for the latest findings in that investigation we are joined by matt finn, who is in texas for us tonight. >> we have learned the shooter himself had three gunshot wounds to his body, including one to his head, which the medical examiner says was self-inflicted, so the shooter killed himself after his deadly rampage here at this texas church. we've also learned that the shooter recently repurchased four guns. authorities say all the sales were legal. if there is no information in databases that would have flagged the shooter, and that aligns with two pieces of information we learned today. if first, academy sporting goods in san antonio, texas, released a statement saying it sold to guns to the shooter, one in 2015, and one in 2017, and that the shooter passed the national criminal background check and that that sporting good store is not cooperating with law enforcement. also, the u.s. air force did not submit the criminal records to the fbi, as required by pentagon law. the shooter was discharged from the air force for bad behavior,
5:02 pm
for beating his wife and his stepson intentionally. cracking his stepson's skull. he was court-martialed and imprisoned. had they turned that over to the fbi, he might not have been able to pass the background checks to purchase guns recently. the air force had launched a review into how the service handled the shooter's criminal record. tonight at this hour there are still 15 people in the hospital wounds related to yesterday's shooting. five of them are minors. some are still in critical condition. tucker, back to you. >> tucker: what a gruesome and awful story. investigators were able to find a lot about the sutherland spring shooter, devin patrick kelley, almost immediately. why were they able to put the pieces together so fast? in las vegas, we still know so little. we turn to dan, who joins us live.
5:03 pm
first, to the texas shooting. apparently, the air force did not come as you just heard matt finn report, enter this information about this man's court marshaling conviction and the year he spent in the break into the criminal database that gun purchasers are run through. if they had put that information in there, would he have been prohibited from buying a gun? >> he would have been prohibited from buying a gun. this is why the radical left can't possibly win this gun control debate. think about the argument they are making to us. the argument they are making is don't worry, government can protect you. i love our military, god bless every man and woman that serves, but this is clearly a bureaucratic error that cost people their lives by officials in our government as they are making the very same argument, by the way, that we need new laws despite the fact that the old laws didn't work because people in the government that are supposed to make no laws didn't cooperate with the laws we have now, and look at what we
5:04 pm
have on our hands. he would have been stopped from buying a gun, and he wasn't, and look what happened. >> tucker: you see that with so many of our gun laws that are unenforced, including the city of chicago, where they are almost never prosecuted even as they complain that they are the source of the problem, which they certainly are. why do we know so much, and thank heaven we do, about this atrocity, and still so little about the one that happened in las vegas a month ago? >> this tragedy here, this fits the models we have from my experience in the secret service of targeted violence. you've seen indicators in the past, you and i have talked about the vacant shooting on multiple appearances here that we have said it doesn't make any sense because where all the witnesses? where all the people coming out and saying i saw something on facebook that was strange. he said something at the local deli that was unusual, where are they? the answer is nowhere, nobody has found them yet, or they are there and we just don't know about them.
5:05 pm
but in this case, we are seeing a litany of people saying there were odd facebook posts, there's obviously a pattern of violent behavior, and as i've said repeatedly, when you look at models of targeted violence, there's always a trail, always a trail, it's very rare look in the vacant shooting for there's almost nothing there and it's a vacuum. >> tucker: so you don't think the investigation is different, but the crime is different gmac at the perpetrator different? >> this guy seems to fit the pattern. targeted violence, assassinations, shootings, homicidal maniacs would decide to go in a church. we don't know the motive yet but it appears there's some connection there. it appears that his desire to take out revenge, or whatever it may have been on a family member or in law, he just uses violence as a way to show his power, and that's what he did he took out 20 plus innocent people in his rampage there. but that fits the models we've seen in the past. >> tucker: what are the lessons for the rest of us? >> it pains me to say this, but
5:06 pm
churches are inherently vulnerable places. you have the right to protect yourself. there are wolves out there. there's a big conflict of visions, if i can steal a line. if the left seems to believe that we can somehow legislate the evil out of people's hearts, you won't. do not be a sheep. if you are a church, if you are a synagogue, you are in a uniquely vulnerable spot. it pains me to say that, but we live in a different time. if you have an exit and an entrance point in the back. therefore everybody comes out in the same spot. where is everybody's attention in church? ahead. where is the shooter going to come in? he's going to come in the back. you also have the lack of cover or concealment. there's nowhere to hide. why? because people don't hide in church, they have to see what's going on in the altar. there is nowhere to go. it doesn't give me any joy in telling you that, but in 12 years as a secret service agent, if you are in a church or house of worship, you have an obligation now to realize we live in a different world.
5:07 pm
it's sad, these are black swan events, but the penalty for being involved in an event like this is death. this has happened multiple time times. you have to secure and harden up your location. i'm sorry i had to say that, but it is absolutely true in the times we live in. >> tucker: thanks a lot for that, as always. >> yes, sir. >> tucker: voters in virginia elect a new governor tomorrow. it's been the most widely covered political race of the earth, and by far the most bitter. virginia is solidly blue now and democrat ralph northam has long been expected to win an easy victory in the place with a republican president is even less popular than he is in the rest of the country. but that is not what has happened. if republican ed gillespie has remained surprisingly close in the polls for months. panic to the democratic establishment and our gophers in the national media, they have done what they always do in a pinch, they make it about race. remember what obama and his campaign told us that bill clinton was a racist during the 2008 primaries?
5:08 pm
remember when the hillary clinton campaigns at the same thing about bernie sanders last year? when the going gets tough, democrats charge racism. so naturally ed gillespie has been transformed into a bowl, for the purposes of this election. just yesterday "the new york times" ran a strikingly dishonest beast that accused gillespie of running "array simply don't make racially divisive campaign. according to "the new york times," his sins include attacking the street gang ms-13, opposing sanctuary cities and criticizing the governors unilateral decision to restore voting rights to felons in the state. if for this, gillespie is a bigot. it would be amusing if it wasn't so poisonous. ed gillespie isn't a racist, if anything he's too liberal for many republicans in virginia. a former corporate lobbyist from new jersey, he has establishment views on virtually everything. a strongly pro-immigration, supports amnesty for daca beneficiaries. he has never made race an issue.
5:09 pm
promised to crackdown on ms-13 because it's a deadly criminal force with thousands of members, which by the way, and not incidentally, targets almost exclusively el salvador in immigrants. they mark america's laws. he made an issue on voting rights because it was a naked glitter dome of political grab by the governor. don't tell that to politico. it's reporters accused him of adopting "racially charged culture war issues for daring to oppose monument vandalism and national anthem protest. think progress ran this headline. if "his campaign for final push for votes plays on hatred of black nfl protesters. " standing up for the national anthem is not nationalism. the irony was there actually was racial demagoguery in the campaign, a lot of it, but it didn't come from ed gillespie or his supporters. in the closing days, supporters
5:10 pm
of northam ran an ad that suggested that gillespie's voters wanted to murder kids. the ad actually said that. this showed a white man in a pickup truck with a gillespie sticker trying to run over a bunch of kids, including a little muslim girl as they fled for their lives. "the new york times" didn't even mention that at until -- 14 on their hit piece yesterday. the ad got in the way of their story line apparently. like all off year elections, tomorrow's results will be scrutinized for larger lessons about american politics. if you hear people say it's a referendum on trump, that's tru true. the worst and most dangerous habit, inflating racial fears to get boaters to the polls. it does not tactics to work? let's hope not, we will find out tomorrow. juan williams cohosts the five right here on fox and he joins us. >> hey, how are you? >> tucker: you know it gillespie, whatever you think of his politics, he's hardly a bigot, he's a moderate guy
5:11 pm
politically and by temperament. if i look at this with my jaw open and if they are turning ed gillespie into a bigot for attacking ms-13, then the work s no meaning anymore, that's my reaction to it. >> i like ed gillespie a lot, i knew when he was chair of the national committee and he was always about inclusion and outreach to minorities. he saw that as the future to the party. but i must say when i was listening to you, i was thinking to myself, i think he has found himself in a tight spot after a primary race in which he was joining against corey stewart, donald trump's campaign manager in virginia and stewart ran a campaign that was all about the confederate statues and keeping them in place. he made a very strong populist, and at times racial, appeal. if i think it was less than two points close to ed gillespie in that primary race for the nomination and now he has done things like what you have just
5:12 pm
laid out. at the nfl players kneeling, the confederate statues. and i think most of all, somehow conflating ms-13 with immigration. started those ads in the southwestern part of the state, down in roanoke and the more rural area. >> tucker: ms-13 is a real thing, it's an actual phenomenon. >> it's not as big a threat as you would think by seeing the commercial. >> tucker: you know who it's a threat to, salvadoran immigrants. >> that's fine, but that's not who the ads are aimed at. if the ads are stirring up white anger. >> tucker: you don't need to be white to be angry about the fact that our immigration policy has allowed a lot of people to come here illegally and join street gangs. >> i agree with you. >> tucker: by the way, their victims or immigrants, so i don't know why it's that racist to say that. it's true. >> known, no, no. if you are right, there's a real issue, these people kill each other, so there are salvadorans
5:13 pm
killing salvadorans, but it ties into -- this goes back to the trump playbook, immigration is a threat, perceived as a threat by lots of working class white folks. i think you've spoken to me about this, so what it does is by playing this up in an ad, it stirs that base that wasn't going to go to. gillespie you described as a moderate republican. >> tucker: i disagree with that gillespie's views on immigration very strongly. >> okay. >> tucker: i'm way to the right of him on immigration because it actually is a threat. it's a great thing in other ways, but in some ways it is a threat and ms-13 is one manifestation of that. it's real, and there's nothing racist about saying that. if we make that off limits, if we call people names for telling the truth, then we can't have an honest conversation about it. >> i want an honest conversation, but i'm telling you it's not a threat to the extent that it would become the major issue in the race for governor of virginia, in less you are playing it in order to stir up and turn out your
5:14 pm
voters, which is what ed has done. he's following for cory stewart, donald trump playbook. >> tucker: fay ran an ad, his opponents, accusing him and his voters of wanting to murder children with a pickup truck. if it's literally true. if that's not like my spend on it. have you seen the spot? of course. >> of course. >> tucker: somehow, ed gillespie, who was a victim of that, he's a bigot for some reason, because he doesn't like ms-13? to see why this is actually insane and it's making people vote for ed gillespie? the attacks on him are so unfair that a lot of people wouldn't vote for him are thinking this is not nutty. >> the political dynamic is one that steve bannon, the trump political advisor of old now said this is the playbook. this is how ed gillespie has gotten himself back in the race, by highlighting things like ms-13 and immigration.
5:15 pm
it's a political play to a racial base, tucker. >> tucker: they accused him of wanting to murder minority children. >> if you don't -- >> tucker: is that not racial demagoguery? what's the definition of a? >> when you go into latino communities in muslim communities and see the anxiety that has been stirred by the kind of appeals that came from trump, and now cory stewart. they went not by this ad thing actually they want to murder your children. >> i don't know. it's a nightmare of anxiety in the ad. >> tucker: i get it. people should be ashamed of that, i think. >> i think playing racial politics is unnecessary, but i don't think you can deny that that's what's going on in this campaign. >> tucker: i think you're absolutely right, you know what i think. thanks for joining us. >> my pleasure. >> tucker: donna brazile has exposed massive and real misconduct. she ran the democratic party.
5:16 pm
why are the media trying to downplay her story to mack it's a fascinating tale of establishment collusion, and we will tell it to you with a former hillary clinton advisor next. ♪ when you have a cold stuff happens. shut down cold symptoms fast with maximum strength alka seltzer plus liquid gels. it's ok that everybody ignores me when i drive. it's fine, 'cause i get a safe driving bonus check every six months i'm accident-free. and i don't share it with mom. right, mom? right. safe driving bonus checks, only from allstate. switching to allstate is worth it. but prevagen helps your brain with an ingredient originally discovered... in jellyfish. in clinical trials, prevagen has been shown to improve short-term memory.
5:17 pm
prevagen. the name to remember.
5:18 pm
5:19 pm
♪ >> tucker: people say the media or liberal, and obviously they are, but that's not the whole story. more than anything, the national media are part of the establishment. i went to the same schools is the establishment, they share the same values, they are basically the same people. if you want evidence of this,
5:20 pm
look no further than the controversy over donna brazile's new book. she once ran the dnc, so if she says the democratic party worked hard to steal the election from bernie sanders, you can exactly dismiss her as a partisan or a kook, and that's exactly what many in establishment press have tried to do for several days. according to highly informed sources spoke to, highly informed, top management at cnn directed its employees to undermine brazile's credibility. anchors and producers were vocally offended by her attacks on their friends, the clintons. if you've been watching that channel, you may have noticed the anchors suggesting that donna brazile cannot be trusted, precisely because she took part in efforts to break the primaries for clinton. watch. >> she's the one who got access to one tonal question and sent an email, which we know from wikileaks, to somebody in the clinton campaign, to give them a town hall question, which is completely unethical.
5:21 pm
she wasn't doing that for bernie sanders. >> do you take her at her word, given the fact that she lied about that cnn debate and giving those questions to hillary clinton ahead of time? >> tucker: it's unbelievable. in retrospect, they are so obviously talking points. if glad to know that. if cnn is not alone. if the internet suffered a great piece in which he pointed out that journalists have's repeatedly spread misleading stories that lead to exonerate the behavior of hillary clinton and the dnc. nbc news published a story claiming the clinton-dnc agreement only applied to the general election. if they simply read the agreement they would say that's lost. it applied to both. a claim was quickly repeated. it was false. the establishment journalist also claimed that sanders signed the very same agreement that hillary clinton did. that is false. the media... campbell, but in this place they can't seem to downplay this one fast enough. donna brazile isn't backing down, watch this.
5:22 pm
>> for those who are telling me to shut up, they told hillary that a couple of months ago, to know what i told him? go to hell. i'm going to tell my story. >> tucker: donna brazile will join us on wednesday to tell us her story. brave enough to join us in studio. in her book, and we are having a wednesday, can't wait to hear about this, but she says that she experienced sexism on the hillary campaign. she wasn't taken seriously because she was a woman, and it raises the obvious question, do you think the democratic party can handle strong woman like donna brazile? >> i don't know whether donna brazile is a kook, but what she says is kooky. it let me give you an example. >> tucker: i don't know why. hold on. i thought the basic precept of liberalism is when a woman says she was mistreated for being a woman, you take her seriously, you don't dismiss her as a kook or a crazy person. my the feminist here?
5:23 pm
>> in her book she says men are not able to deal with women. this is being laid at the feet of people who work for hillary clinton. the fact is these are people -- hillary clinton was accused of only having women work for her when she was in the senate. >> tucker: you are dismissing her claim of sexism because why? because hillary clinton's campaign -- >> she's got a distorted view of things. >> tucker: another crazy woman. i get it, the crazy woman defense. i've heard this before. >> this is certifiably nuts. if the political director, the communications director -- excuse me, the political director, the communications director, the digital director, you can go on and on and on, or women for hillary. the notion that somehow the hillary clinton campaign couldn't countenance strong woman is crazy. >> tucker: the campaign manager was a man. all i'm saying is the democratic party has told me all my life that when a woman says she faces sexism, were not allowed to dismiss her as crazy. or it's that kind of the month
5:24 pm
or any kind of insulting suggestion that she doesn't have her full wits. and i do take donna brazile seriously. if he were here are the democrats think she's just another crazy woman. >> donna brazile should have known better. any candidate takes over the party. john mccain did that. the democrats do the same. it goes back decades. somehow or other, she acted offended as if somehow they were taking it out on her when they want to make decisions as opposed to her. if so she's putting the span of about whether it sexism or whatever, this whole nonsense that she spit out about somehow or other because of her race or what now. >> tucker: just tell me of someone who is kind of following along, sort of watching as our culture change is really fast. and i'm writing this down because i want to keep this for future reference. one of the times i can just dismiss allegations of racism and sexism with the back of my hand and call them nonsense as you just did? one of my allowed to do that?
5:25 pm
>> when there's evidence to the contrary. the evidence here is, so many people at the top of the heap for the campaign -- up and down. if you look at that campaign was uniquely occupied by very powerful senior women. what donna brazile was taken personally -- look -- she was al gore's campaign manager. she didn't use bill clinton. if there's a problem there, it's not something that is hillary clinton's doing. >> tucker: if i'm ever accused of something bad, i will use your technique. that's absurd, she's got to be crazy. she's crazy! >> i don't think she's crazy, i think she's wrong. i'm saying what she is saying sounds crazy because it's demonstrably disproved. >> tucker: it hasn't actually been disproved, and you are making me even more anxious to speak to her directly. really quickly, part of what is going on here is that the clintons are losing control of the democratic party, it's not their party, the base doesn't agree with them on key issues.
5:26 pm
clinton is maybe actually write on some of those issues on my perspective, but whatever. the truth is they are not going gently into that good night, their time is over, it has been eclipsed, and these are kind of the last gasps of political aristocracy that has been in power for the last 25 years. isn't that what kind of going on? >> i will say there is a tug-of-war going on between the sanders and warren waiting in the wing that frankly has won presidential campaigns. there's talk about democrats being in disarray. >> tucker: is she a kook? >> she's not a cure. >> tucker: are her allegations of sexism just crazy? >> the case being, flat-out wrong. donna brazile said things were not. >> tucker: she's crazy! i'm never going to use that, but that's just me. wait to see you. you are a brave man. our interview with ivanka trump and steven mnuchin, the treasury secretary, is minutes away. coming up. ♪
5:27 pm
let's get the big guy in place. the ford year-end sales event is here. i can guide you in? no, thanks , santa, i got this. looks a little tight. perfect fit. santa needs an f-150. that's ford, america's best selling brand. hurry in today for 0% financing for 72 months across the full line of ford cars, trucks and suvs! and just announced... get 0 % apr for 72 months plus $1000 cash back! take advantage of these exclusive holiday offers during the ford year end sales event. one nation in all of human history
5:28 pm
was built on that bedrock, ours. freedom has made america exceptional, but it can only last if you and i choose to act as people of character. forging character has been the pursuit of hillsdale college since 1844. ♪ and the wolf huffed like you do sometimes, grandpa? well, when you have copd, it can be hard to breathe. it can be hard to get air out, which can make it hard to get air in. so i talked to my doctor. she said... symbicort could help you breathe better, starting within 5 minutes. symbicort doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. symbicort helps provide significant improvement of your lung function. symbicort is for copd, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. symbicort contains formoterol.
5:29 pm
medicines like formoterol increase the risk of death from asthma problems. symbicort may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. you should tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. symbicort could mean a day with better breathing. watch out, piggies! (child giggles) symbicort. breathe better starting within 5 minutes. get symbicort free for up to one year. visit saveonsymbicort.com today to learn more.
5:30 pm
>> tucker: we talked to ivanka trump out at the reagan library in california. she just landed from japan, and we talked a tax policy, here's a preview of the conversation. >> we need to enable middle income families to be able to invest in early childhood education and child care. , which disproportionately impacts woman, the fact that the average american family spends almost 30% of pretax income on the cost of child care, so the
5:31 pm
cost of child care has gone through the roof, and families just can't afford it, so women are disproportionately leaving the workforce. >> tucker: actually got kind of interesting from there. we will have more from that interview in just a minute. she's not the only person we spoke to. we also sit down with the treasury secretary steven mnuchin to talk about the administration's plan to overhaul the u.s. tax code. here's part of it. >> thanks for joining us. >> thank you. >> i think it's fair to say the last election was an expression of anxiety on the part of the american middle class, and the administration has said repeatedly they recognize that. how does this plan address the concerns of the american middle class? >> i think as you know, president trump from day one has been very focused on the economy, and absolutely convinced that we can get back to sustained economic growth by 3% gdp or higher. the tax plan is center stage of his economic plan. this is all about middle income tax cuts, cutting business taxes and making u.s. business competitive with the rest of the world. >> tucker: so if you are a
5:32 pm
from poker and you are making 55,000 -- 59,000, and medium income, what does this mean for you? >> it you will see at least several hundred dollars of a tax cut. that's what you will see some thoma, monies in your pocket. >> tucker: corporations are saying marcher tax cut. why is that fair when profits are high and income is stagnant, what do you say? >> 70% of the burden are borne by the worker. the reason we are cutting corporate taxes is so that american business can be competitive. right now we have one of the highest tax rates in the world, and that's why jobs are going overseas. this is about bringing back trillions of dollars that are offshore, and making business competitive. that's why what we call it tax cuts and jobs act. >> tucker: if businesses profit more, workers benefit, that your argument. businesses are doing well now,
5:33 pm
why aren't wages keeping pace with corporate profits? >> businesses are doing well, the stock market is doing well, so for rich people it has been a great eight years, but for the average american worker, they haven't seen their wages increase. this is about making u.s. business competitive, having more jobs here, and getting wage increases to workers. >> tucker: there's the counter case that corporate profits have been rising, but wages have not been. that's puzzling to some people. >> they've been rising some, but not proportionate with the stock market. this will be about creating more earnings -- more important, bringing back capital. we will encourage companies to bring back trillions of dollars that will be invested here to have new jobs, new factories, new buildings, new manufacturin manufacturing. >> tucker: how much do you expect to come back? >> $3 trillion at least. the president thinks it could be four or five. >> tucker: this bill as written would increase the number of people who don't pay federal taxes. basically make the government more reliant on the smaller number of people carrying the whole burden, does that make you
5:34 pm
uncomfortable? >> it doesn't. at one of the things the president has continuously, this is not about tax cuts for rich people, this is about tax cuts for the middle class and for working americans we are going to raise the standard deduction to $24,000 for families. at the reagan library, there's no better place to have tribute to what was done 31 years ago with president reagan. president trump's tax reform will be even bigger. >> tucker: the president during the campaign said repeatedly that he was going to give "a haircut" to the private equity people and managers by doing away with what is called the carried interest loophole, which allows people to take salary and get taxed at the investment rate, which is almost half. that is still in there. this bill allows that to continue, why? >> i'm sure that's one of the issues that will be debated as it gets through the house and as it gets to the senate. we will be working with both parties on it. >> tucker: you were going to push on that? >> we are.
5:35 pm
>> tucker: not every group in d.c. loves the plan and one of the most upset of the realtors mad about the deductions he will be eliminating for mortgage interest. >> with preserved in the house version $500,000 mortgage that you can deduct the interest. that's an awfully big home, and mostly every single part of this country. we are cutting out lots of loopholes throughout the whole tax plan, so there will be people who don't like bits and pieces, but people understand this is a pass-fail exercise. it's critical to the economy, and we are going to get it done. >> tucker: thank you. >> thank you. >> tucker: a horrifying epidemic spreading in africa and killing people. what is it? could he come here quickly? we will give you details and the physicians following it next. ♪ it creates a seal of the dentures in my mouth. just a few dabs is clinically proven to seal out more food particles. try super poligrip free. ♪
5:36 pm
you for four years. you named it brad. you loved brad. and then you totaled him. you two had been through everything together. two boyfriends, three jobs... you're like nothing can replace brad. then liberty mutual calls... and you break into your happy dance. if you sign up for better car replacement™, we'll pay for a car that's a model year newer with 15,000 fewer miles than your old one. liberty stands with you™. liberty mutual insurance.
5:37 pm
5:38 pm
(avo) but you also have a higher risk of heart attack or stroke. non-insulin victoza® lowers a1c, and now reduces cardiovascular risk. victoza® lowers my a1c and blood sugar better than the leading branded pill. (avo) and for people with type 2 diabetes treating cardiovascular disease, victoza® is now approved to lower the risk of major cardiovascular events such as heart attack, stroke, or death. and while it isn't for weight loss, victoza® may help you lose some weight. (avo) victoza® is not for people with type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. do not take victoza® if you have a personal or family history of medullary thyroid cancer, multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2, or if you are allergic to victoza®
5:39 pm
or any of its ingredients. stop taking victoza® and get medical help right away if you get symptoms of a serious allergic reaction such as rash, swelling, difficulty breathing or swallowing. serious side effects may happen, including pancreatitis. so, stop taking victoza® and call your doctor right away if you have severe pain in your stomach area. tell your doctor your medical history. gallbladder problems have happened in some people. tell your doctor right away if you get symptoms. taking victoza® with a sulfonylurea or insulin may cause low blood sugar. common side effects are nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, decreased appetite, indigestion, and constipation. side effects can lead to dehydration, which may cause kidney problems. ask your doctor about victoza®. ♪ >> tucker: parts of africa are seeing deadly outbreak of a
5:40 pm
disease called monkeypox, it's been around for a while and it pops up occasionally, in a big way right now. the disease is incurable, it could reach the country before we know it's coming. a long incubation period that, 16 days. what's the nature of the threat, and is it one to this country? and associate professor of medicine joins us tonight. doctor, thanks for coming on. >> my pleasure. >> tucker: if it takes a couple of weeks for a person infected with monkeypox to show symptoms, that suggestion could have people coming over here with it and they could get sick from it in the united states. what happens then? how contagious is it and what are the effects? >> the good news is it is not very easily spread between person-to-person, it's more easily spread from wild animal to a person. it can be spread amongst human beings, that's usually through respiratory droplets, but very close contact. a caregiver of someone who is sick with this virus. that's the kind of person who would be more prone to get it.
5:41 pm
it's concerning because it can be fatal in up to 10% of cases, that's a pretty deadly virus. >> tucker: is there any kind of defense against it? >> there's no treatment for it. it's similar to smallpox, so the smallpox vaccine does offer some protection, however it's not specifically designed for it and there is no specific treatment for it other than supportive care. occasionally, a general antiviral medication can be given in very severe cases, but it doesn't always work. >> tucker: if you had an outbreak in this country, obviously the most advanced medical care in the world, do you think you could still see a 10% fatality rate? >> the ranges between 2-10% in terms of fatality and because our care in this country is so great we would hope it would to be one or 2% level. but there is no actual cure for it. young children would be more prone to really succumbing to this virus, so it could be very deadly in this country. it's important that scientists
5:42 pm
in this country are over trying to get a handle on what causes it -- we can't keep her head in the sand. we are a global society, anything can come here in a couple of days. thank you very much for your perspective. >> thank you. >> tucker: is a time to get real about tightening travel restrictions from companies where this outbreak is occurring. former official joins us tonight. david, i'm against overreacting to anything, including this. but i also notice a certain overreaction on the other side, i've seen with a bunch of other outbreaks of illness over the years where the globalists in our midst basically make the case it's mean to protect united states citizens from potential outbreaks of disease in this country, therefore we can't meaningfully screen people. would you take deposition in this case? >> monkeypox is a scary disease, as was ebola.
5:43 pm
and we should be doing everything we can to prevent people from getting it here into screen people who come here so we make sure it isn't brought here. it's important to note that in immigration and nationality act already requires medical screenings for refugees and other immigrants are coming. they have to be screened in their country of origin if they apply in the country of origin, or if they make it here without being screen, they have to be screened here before their immigration status is changed. look at how we dealt with ebola, which ultimately we dealt with it quite well and we ended up preventing it from having an outbreak you're in the u.s. the way we did that is we screen people at the airport, determine where they came from, if they were in africa, and if they came from a country where ebola was present, they could possibly be quarantined. that was the appropriate way to deal with ebola. >> tucker: this is the right way to deal with monkeypox as well. ebola is not actually contagious. if you don't have a lot of body fluids flying around you won't get ebola, there has never been an ebola outbreak in
5:44 pm
the west because of that. this can be spread through sneezing. it's a totally different thing. i guess my question is theoretical. i'm not calling for any kind of quarantine to visitors here, but theoretically if you had a country with a real outbreak of this in central africa, why wouldn't you, in the interest of our population say we aren't taking anybody from that country? >> the only way to protect america was to ban people from coming to the country, that would be appropriate, but we have to look at lesser measures first. >> tucker: why? >> because if there are left lesser measures that allow you to not have a band but still protect america. >> tucker: why would we do that? i'm not arguing for this in this case, but i'm seeing theoretically -- there are a lot of diseases that could come her here. if your only real interest was protecting american citizens, which is not the real interest of our elites, as we both know. let's say you were following the constitution and looking out for your people as you are supposed to. anybody from any country other than this one anything, why
5:45 pm
would you let a single person from that country in here because that presents some risk. why would you do that to your people? >> look at the science. if they truly pose the risk and there's no way to mitigate that then that we should ban them, but we are a country of immigrants. thanksgiving is coming up in two weeks. children of immigrants. it's not that important, but it's an important policy that we do allow immigration, that we do encourage immigration, that we are a beacon of hope for people who come from oppressed countries. and as i said -- >> tucker: you wouldn't say i want to mitigate the risk. if you would say i want to eliminate the risk because i love them, they are my kids. my job is to protect them. our leaders don't feel that way about this. i will mitigate it, not totally fine, fine enough for you. >> you have to look at each disease when it comes up and you have to deal with it based on the science. as i said, if the only way to
5:46 pm
protect america is to ban people from a particular country, then we should do that, but that's not what we had to do with ebola, we did quarantine, that was enough. it's also important to remember that one of the ways we solved ebola is by bringing some people who are infected by care so they can get the great medical treatment that we have here in the u.s. in order to help our duty. >> tucker: we are out of time, thank you for that. deeply revealing, as always. interview with first daughter ivanka tromped after the break ♪ here's the story of green mountain coffee roasters sumatra reserve.
5:47 pm
let's go to sumatra. the coffee here is amazing. because the volcanic soil is amazing. so we give farmers like win more plants. to grow more delicious coffee. which helps provide for win's family. all, for a smoother tasting cup of coffee. green mountain coffee roasters. whentrust the brand doctors trust for themselves. nexium 24hr is the number one choice of doctors and pharmacists for their own frequent heartburn. and all day all night protection. when it comes to frequent heartburn, trust nexium 24hr.
5:48 pm
5:49 pm
5:50 pm
♪ >> tucker: ivanka trump cut out of her father's asia trip early to come back and make the case for the republican party's tax reform plan. she sat down with us yesterday i'm in california at the reagan library to tell us about that,
quote
5:51 pm
as well as to talk about the plight of american women compared to that of men. here's part of our conversation. watch. >> tucker: you cut the asia trip short to come back and carry the banner for this bill, why? >> i was in japan at the invitation of prime minister abe to speak about women's participation in the workforce, a critical issue to the growth of the japanese economy, but also something we are very focused on in our administration as well. i decided not to go on because ultimately, tax reform is central to the administrations plans over the coming months, and it's critically important that we get it done, and we believe we can get it done. i decided not to meet up and continue the trip with the president. >> tucker: if i ran into you in an elevator and we we had to force me to make your pitch for the tax plan, what would it be? >> there's a dual focus.
5:52 pm
much related tax relief to middle income families, and cutting taxes generally so that businesses can be competitive and thrive in a modern economy. and in a global world where there is tremendous competition. our tax plan accomplishes both of those things. >> tucker: that's a pretty good pitch. >> thank you. and simply vacation! we like supplication, so three. >> tucker: you were speaking to the japanese for women in the workplace, that is consistent with the theme you've been on top of. i've got three daughters and a son so i'm paying attention to the numbers on this, and it seems like in this country, the crisis is among boys, not girls. girls graduate from college at a much higher number. if it really seems like the problem is not women in the united states, and i wonder if you think that's a wrong analysis. >> i do.
5:53 pm
i think there are certainly the problems you noted are broader than economic problems. those may be individual to boys, but while women comprise 47% of the workforce, we are very underrepresented in fields that will be critically important when you think about the jobs of the future. you look at the technology industry, we represent 21% of people intact, that's a problem when you think about where jobs will be created going forward, 13% of engineers, so we have to change that. i think that our tax plan takes a big step in terms of helping the american family with the high cost of raising children, the fact that the average american family spends almost 30% of pretax income on the cost of child care. the cost of child care has gone through the roof, and families just can't afford it, so women are disproportionately leaving the workforce. there are unique challenges, but i think our tax plan is very helpful towards providing middle
Check
5:54 pm
income relief so that families can thrive. an expansion of the child, child tax credit, maintaining the child and dependent care credit as part of tax reform. doubling the standard deduction. really it's the central theme, middle income americans and supporting them. we spend less than any country in the developed world on children between the ages of 0-5. it's a fact, we don't invest enough resources. >> dome xp meaning the government invests less gimmick >> as a society. we as families. but as a government in terms of schooling starts at the age of 5. there's not a lot of support for families in the early years. undeniably it's very expensive to raise children. a stay-at-home parent, investing and potentially after-school activities, mommy and me classes. food, and whatever it is that they think is the best
5:55 pm
investment to help their family and their children. >> tucker: last question, are you worried for senate will change it in ways that make it less effective, or even on acceptable? >> i'm optimistic that the senate takes what has been created and actually enhances it. and i think that's a great opportunity. >> tucker: thanks very much, ivanka trump. our full interviews for ivanka trump and steven mnuchin. an announcement on the show. if that's next hello mom.
5:56 pm
amanda's mom's appointment just got rescheduled - for today. amanda needs right at home. our customized care plans provide as much - or as little help - as her mom requires.
5:57 pm
whether it's a ride to the doctor or help around the house. oh, of course! tom, i am really sorry. i've gotta go. look, call right at home. get the right care. right at home. the mountain like i used to. i even accept i have a higher risk of stroke due to afib, a type of irregular heartbeat not caused by a heart valve problem. but whatever trail i take, i go for my best. so if there's something better than warfarin, i'll go for that too.
5:58 pm
eliquis. eliquis reduced the risk of stroke better than warfarin, plus had less major bleeding than warfarin. eliquis had both. don't stop taking eliquis unless your doctor tells you to, as stopping increases your risk of having a stroke. eliquis can cause serious and in rare cases fatal bleeding. don't take eliquis if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding. while taking eliquis, you may bruise more easily... ...and it may take longer than usual for any bleeding to stop. seek immediate medical care for sudden signs of bleeding, like unusual bruising. eliquis may increase your bleeding risk if you take certain medicines. tell your doctor about all planned medical or dental procedures. i'm still going for my best. and for eliquis ask your doctor about eliquis. ♪
5:59 pm
and when you switch to esurance, in the modern world, it pays to switch things up. you can save time, worry, hassle, and yup, money. in fact, drivers who switched from geico to esurance saved hundreds. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. an allstate company. click or call. >> ♪ >> ♪ >> tucker: tomorrow night we will be cover the elections in virginia and new jersey. we will track the races in real time. tune in wednesday we will talk to donna brazile and the attacks on her and how the dnc rigged the primary last year for hillary clinton.
6:00 pm
whoa! it's it for us tonight to the show that is the sworn enemy of lies. sean hannity is next. >> sean: this is a fox news alert. we have so much new information. it will take much longer than an hour to get through it, but we will try. we have more proof that when it comes to the clinton scandals. the fix is already in. the democratic party is in disarray with a barrage of massive scandals unfolding. this is an all out battle playing out between donna brazile the democrat, the media, after she revealed that hillary clinton rigged and stole the dnc primary election and stole the nomination from bernie sanders. it's all unfolding. and brazile has a message for critics. go straight to hell. the hills john solomon is senator chuck

200 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on