Skip to main content

tv   The Story With Martha Mac Callum  FOX News  January 7, 2019 4:00pm-5:00pm PST

4:00 pm
need a reason to think a cop. >> i like it. >> i think i missed the whole delivery thing. thanks everybody, that is it for this special report, balanced and unafraid the story starts right now. i think it is pretty good, doughnuts. do not, doughnuts. thank you, good to see you. so breaking tonight, the battle lines are drawn as the president considers a national emergency at the united states southern border. can he do it? will he do it, tonight's first address from the highest office in the land. craig outing and judge napolitano here in moments but first tonight, joe biden former vice president seems to believe that he is the man to take on president trump in 2020. he is reportedly making calls to the donors all last week doing that getting ready to make his decision in the coming week. good adverting dell mech good
4:01 pm
evening, i am martha maccallum and recording to reports if you can persuade me there is anybody, somebody better who can win i'm happy not to do it. i don't see the candidate that can clearly do what has to be done to win. president obama calling essentially for the exact opposite, watch this. >> one of challenges that we have, we are in deficits of leadership and we need to do more. >> martha: he drew blood and deficits and democrat megan donor, tom scheier pulling fuller to the left, both of them gearing up now and iowa and from california, also has not moved out. he was the strongest democrat joe biden right about his position in 2020? good to see you congressman, thank you for being here tonight. >> of course, good evening talk to me about whether you believe
4:02 pm
joe biden is right here. >> i love joe biden and he's done a lot for the country, but we have the benefit of so many talented people considered running for president and i don't think we will go wrong if any become the nominee. it is not a matter of who is better but who is different and whether their vision for america or the promise of them america you dream bigger for your kids can connect with everyone. so the water is warm, come on in. >> martha: , how about you, are you going to come on and? >> i've been very close invited to iowa, new hampshire, south carolina and i have a big job to do. the voters put democratic majority in the congress to collaborate on infrastructure, the background checks to make sure health care protection so i will do that job. but i'm getting very close to honestly come on martha to make that decision. >> martha: so, you have
4:03 pm
obviously let's look at 2016, and says i could have pulled in the voters in places like western pennsylvania, michigan, ohio, wisconsin. he believes he is the guy that could have clearly done that and that job was not done by hillary clinton. then you've got the newer blood in the party, president obama refers to it, people who really want to build on what happened mid term. the suburban voters and stay concentrated in the cities across the country. and a lot of further left part of your party is advocating things like this. let's watch this from leeann castro and alexander. once you get to tippy tops, on your 10 millionth dialer and you see tax rates as high as 60 or 70%. >> i can support folks at the top paying their fair share. there was a time in this country where tax marginal percent was over 90%. >> martha: shall be go back there again? >> well i think when it comes to
4:04 pm
the taxes, we don't want to divide success in america but multiply success in america. the people on the top floors are benefiting from this economy. whether it is -- >> martha: that is not true, people with high school diplomas are the ones who benefited the most from the increase in employment in the country. >> well, martha, i come from a family the first time they went to college, a town called dublin where we were scrubbing and when i talked to mike constituents it bears out across america, 2 out of 3 of every person sent this country has less than a thousand dollars in savings. that is not making it in america. wage growth is going up and not matching the cost of goods and services and health care, what does it mean and what is it for? i think that is the way you have to connect the presidential candidate and you have to tell those working families to do better and look at their kids and believe that they can dream bigger for them. >> martha: a lot of people have gotten together with
4:05 pm
hillary clinton, john hickenlooper, cory booker, eric from los angeles from elizabeth warren. is that something that you need is a potential candidate? do you have to talk to hillary clinton or losing twice not necessarily the best advice? >> she was a leader in our country and i don't think you have to back up the bus and run her over. i think, you know, her advice would be helpful but the candidate that sees this election is a big blank canvas board who wants to go big, be bold and do good. that is the path forward and what americans look for midterm when they sent 27 candidates, 40 and under to help us when the house to solve problems. again flipped up the fortunes of every person and connect, disconnected that felt the american dream was out of reach. >> martha: john from kentucky thinks you back up the bucket will be full of subpoenas. here he is talking about that. >> and it is a quote, i joke for a while but is not fun anymore.
4:06 pm
i said we have to build air traffic control tower to keep track of the subpoenas flying from here to the white house. do you think that is what americans want from the democratic party? >> i think they want us to collaborate on those issues. where donald trump widely identified we need infrastructure. that we need background checks in the dream act but the republicans never brought them up for a bow and he never led and pushed but now we see those bills come due is best. but the days of presidential immunity where abuses of power can occur without a balance of power, those days are over and we will do our job. i will submit to my colleagues we do that job judiciously and make sure investigating anything, we can explain to the american people why it affects their everyday life. >> martha: i want to say one more thing, joe biden, you said you liked the fact that younger people have one in the midterm. do you think he's too old? >> no, no, no, but i think we cannot necessarily count on the same old leaders to solve the
4:07 pm
same old problems. young people without elected experience at all stepped up and ran for office. they felt this call to service. i think going forward if we have a health care guarantee, green grid and if we are going to have debt free education, we will need people who have not been in this effort and failed in the past. we need people who believe we can actually do that and have the energy to make it happen. >> thank you very much, eric, my pleasure. report whether a lot of people will run, may be more than last time, jason, democratic national spokesperson, fox contributors, jason let me start with you. as you look at that field, who is the most vulnerable? >> jason: probably the person we haven't heard of, the democrat formula in the past will take someone unknown like jimmy carter or clinton. then mold him into candidates that we want. >> martha: . >> martha: barack obama. >> jason: barack obama and like i said a mayor or governor.
4:08 pm
that america hasn't heard of before. you lose and lose big in texas, that is not a resume builder, but he has more available than the old guard but look at the democrats before. nancy pelosi, the old guard and trot out the old guard again, as a republican i think you want to fight against somebody. >> martha: how much is the party pulling to the left? when you look at these suggestions to tax people 60, 70, 90% much is too much? even if you are talking about the rich $2 million person, how much is too much? >> jason: look, and i'm not hearing that from critical mass of democrats who are thinking about running for president. now, we might. that is what the campaign has four and we will hear from all the candidates what they think on these issues. here is why i think people are under estimating joe biden. i'm not saying he's the right candidate for 2020. but i think he's got a serious legitimate shot, not because of former vice president and not because he's got the highest name i.d.
4:09 pm
but because i think the paradox has shifted a bit in our politics. i don't think most americans are arguing and i think you would agree with this, i don't think most americans sitting around the kitchen table who is the most left or the most right. the paradigm has shifted over the past decade or so two inverses out. people feel alienated, not just washington but wall street and from silicon valley and from the media and higher education in just about every major institution. they are looking for someone to come -- code >> that's that's where i disagree. >> let me finish, authentic champion for you. joe biden gets that and he understands the paradigm ship but will he be the right messenger? he knows the right match and i think he would go into these places like wisconsin, the places donald trump one because of that dynamic and make it authentic. >> martha: but the push in your party appears to be all about diversity gender, politics, identity politics that you know, i'm reading from -- it
4:10 pm
will be toxic and a losing printer policy. >> jason: i don't think that is the mainstream opinion here. the beauty of a primary as republican saw last time is that you will get all of these different perspectives. remember donald trump came down the escalator and set the system is out to get you and you need someone outside of the system and most of his opponent said to, you are not a real conservative. you know what, most republican primary voters disagree. >> you are making the case joe biden is not viable. seven terms in washington, d.c., and the entire breath of your life existence is in washington, d.c., that is not what the rest of america wanted. rejected everybody with political experience in washington, d.c., and went with the outsider, the disruptive person who wasn't going to do the conventional norm and that is why donald trump continues to be successful. if you want to put up washington insider to fix washington, d.c., good luck with that.
4:11 pm
>> this is where i respectively disagree. most americans right now have a negative opinion of the job the president is doing. they wanted someone to shake things up -- >> shaking things up. >> i don't think they like hell he has been doing it. democrats also argue against safety and security at the border. you cannot abolish ice. in favor of sanctuary city, that is not a -- >> democrats are not arguing safety and security. >> yes they are. >> know they are not. there is not a single that is against safety and security at the border and to say it is is just a kind of partisanship that people are against. >> martha: i think they got it right no crisis and fabricated crisis. >> that the law is a fabricated solution to dealing with an issue that everyone agrees needs to be dealt with. that is a legitimate point of
4:12 pm
policy contention. there were -- >> martha: even the president said he does not think they are against national security and hoping the dialogue will bring them to the table. they can do what they said they wanted to do since 2007. >> jason: the democrats voted in favor and authorized a wall but now they won't funded. one site they say they want it but now that donald trump, they won't go for it. last year there were 800,000 people detained coming out across the border. to say there is not a crisis, immoral and the border troll is saying put it in pediment or some sort of fencing. slow them down to grab as many as we can come i am just telling you, keep making that argument. there is a reason that donald trump held tight on this and he will continue. >> we will talk about this more. the president may declare a national emergency in order to get his wall that he promised in the campaign actually built. what history teaches us about the argument that he is making,
4:13 pm
one that even some democrats say he does have the authority to do. janet napolitano explains coming up next. we are looking at a national emergency because we have a national emergency. al customizes your car insurance, so you only pay for what you need. over to you, logo. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ coaching means making tough choices. jim! you're in! but when you have high blood pressure and need cold medicine that works fast, the choice is simple. coricidin hbp is the #1 brand that gives powerful cold symptom relief without raising your blood pressure. coricidin hbp. ♪i've been really tryin', baby ♪tryin' to hold back this feeling for so long♪ ♪and if you feel, like i feel baby then come on,♪
4:14 pm
♪oh come on let's get it on applebee's all you can eat is here. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood.
4:15 pm
4:16 pm
4:17 pm
>> look if harry truman could nationalize steel interest rate during wartime, this president doesn't have the power to declare an emergency and build multimillion dollar wall on the border. >> martha: played out in 1952 when harry truman was president in u.s. steel workers tried to go on strike in the midst of the korean war. truman declared a national emergency that nationalize the american steel industry. really a matter of national security. he hoped that would keep the mills up and running but the supreme court struck him down saying only congress has the authority to seize private property, not the president. did this set of president that could stop president trump? 20 me judge janet napolitano and there's a lot of thinking on this but you say no? >> he can't do it. the president and the united states cannot do this. the emergency power that truman attempted to use did a couple of things, it seized private
4:18 pm
property against the owners and spent government money to pay those who are on strike or to replace strikers so the supreme court struck a deal for two reasons, only congress can seize property when it pays for it and only congress can authorize the expenditure of money and president truman didn't have the authority to do either. and the executive order which encourage people to go back to work and many did was perfectly valid. the president has valid emergency authorities and a time which truly emergency but he cannot spend money and he cannot take property unless the congress is authorized it. that is from the constitution them. if that were not the case, president obama could have declared a national emergency and not enough health insurance around so we will start paying for it. >> martha: that is the question. you have to prove your case that you actually have a national emergency on your hand. they will do that with these numbers. let's put them up on the board. you've got, the number of 2018
4:19 pm
apprehension, 396,000. november 2018, apprehensions over 1700 people a day. right now, over 12,000 migrant children being housed and many came over on their own without their parents. he is arguing that this is a national crisis. >> andrew: the numbers are very impressive, but an emergency is defined in the 1976 act as when the government is overwhelmed and its ordinary assets don't work. i don't think president trump would say that. he wants 15,000 troops at the border and he wasn't saying that the military didn't work. what the emergency powers intended to do was facilitate the move up government assets to focus on the emergency. it is not intended to get the president extraconstitutional authority. >> martha: the parameters of a national emergency or very broad for a president. there are a number of ways he can institute something on a temporary basis. the other question i want to ask you, with regard to the existing
4:20 pm
600 miles, they are already rebuilding those fences. they are rebuilding what is existing they are. that is already government property security. so could he do the areas already there, and we have seen pictures of teal one at waist high. >> andrew: here is the problem. the areas on which they have built the fences pursuant to authority and money authorized by the congress, therefore lawful are on property of the government owns. according to congressman horta, republican of texas, through whose district much of the new wall of the president wants to build would have to go is mostly private property meaning to take eminent domain and that cannot be done pursuant to emergency authority and cannot be done overnight because if you disagree what the government wants to pay you for your backyard, the government has to prove the case in a trial. therefore the president might be biting off more than he can chew legally and financially and clearly and dangerous to what is constitutional. >> martha: in terms of what is
4:21 pm
already there though, he can use that power to rebuild as they have been doing. and mick mulvaney shaking everybody's pockets and every agency to figure out the area where they do have money allocated that they could use. >> andrew: the money has to be allocated for that purpose. can he take money from column a and move it to columbia when only ella mae was authorized? absolutely not the individual expenditure directly or impliedly authorized not by the president but otherwise, bypassing the congress. he is not a president but a prince. >> martha: executive order is an interesting activity at times and president obama had a phone, and the president tries to do what he can within the law. >> andrew: listen come i understand. but when president obama made that threat on the phone, every court looked at it and joined him. >> martha: that is why we have the system and i know you know
4:22 pm
so much. judge, great to see you, happy new year to you. >> andrew: happy new year. lindsey graham a bipartisan lower probe and this is the president's new chief of staff looking for a new job at a university. trey gowdy to wait and on that and also his twitter smack down. did you see this with elizabeth warren and trey gowdy? trelegy works 3 ways to... ...open airways,... ...keep them open... ...and reduce inflammation... ...for 24 hours of better breathing. trelegy won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. trelegy is not for asthma. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. do not take trelegy more than prescribed.
4:23 pm
trelegy may increase your risk of thrush, pneumonia, and osteoporosis. call your doctor if worsened breathing, chest pain, mouth or tongue swelling,.. ...problems urinating, vision changes, or eye pain occur. think your copd medicine is doing enough? maybe you should think again. ask your doctor about once-daily trelegy and the power of 1-2-3. ♪ trelegy 1-2-3 save at trelegy.com. saved an average of $412," syou probably won't believe me. but you can believe this, real esurance employee nancy abraham. look her up online. esurance, it's surprisingly painless.
4:24 pm
4:25 pm
with advil liqui-gels, what stiff joints? what bad back? advil is... relief that's fast. strength that lasts. you'll ask... what pain? with advil liqui-gels.
4:26 pm
>> martha: tonight two men are behind bars in connection with the death of a 7-year-old girl name jazmine barnes and murdered from a whitn with no obvious motive in the early tellings of the story. that story went viral earlier this month after an outcry from celebrities and politicians who were attributing her death to an uptick in hate crime across the country. the only problem, it turns out both of the men who ultimately were arrested did not fit the description at all. they were not white, and the case appears to have nothing to do with hate. tracy gallagher explains from the west newsroom tonight, tracy. >> initially this horrifying crime had zero evidence and zero
4:27 pm
motive widely labeled as a hate crime and affect an attorney for the family of 7-year-old jazmine barnes said he believed the murder was racially motivated because our nation at this momey charged. but you're the facts, sunday december 30th, jazmine barnes was in a car with her mom and three sisters to go get food when a vehicle pulled alongside them and open fire. striking jazmine and they had to. the family told the police they remember seeing a red truck with a white driver in his 30s or 40s. that description led to a sketch of the potential suspect. shortly thereafter, texas democratic congresswoman sheila jackson lee said quoting, and i believe and having written hate crime legislation unknowing i believe they should be looked at as a hate crime. we don't want to have on the street someone who is willing to kill children and possibly kill them in the name of hate. four days after the shooting, new york-based social activist
4:28 pm
and writer shawn king got what he says was a tip that a suspect was a 20-year-old black man named eric black. he says he immediately reported the tip to harris county at -- sure enough eric black was arrested saturday and admitted driving the car saying his passenger was the actual shooter. the police have since arrested larry woodruff on drug charges though he is potentially the second suspect. but critics say active shawn king and ed gonzalez continued promoting the white driver of the red truck as a suspect even after getting credible tip about eric black. the sheriff said the man in the red truck was there but only as a witness. congresswoman jackson says she does not regret at all calling it a hate crime, watch. >> absolutely not. nothing is irresponsible when it comes to the law. precious seven or 8-year-old.
4:29 pm
and as many in the community did, they expressed that it might be, it seems to have the criteria of that. >> investigators believe the killing of jazmine barnes appears to be a case of mistaken identity. martha. >> martha: tracy, thank you very much. president trump versus california leaders. a new governor stepped into the hot seat today as jerry brown says goodbye to governor 's mansion. california resident steve, his take is next. look, i don't think it is a real exaggeration to say there is a on california. i was there, just not always where i needed to be. is she alright? i hope so. so i talked to my doctor about humira. i learned humira is for people who still have symptoms of crohn's disease after trying other medications. and the majority of people on humira
4:30 pm
saw significant symptom relief and many achieved remission in as little as 4 weeks. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. be there for you, and them. ask your gastroenterologist about humira. with humira, remission is possible. onmillionth order.r. ♪ there goes our first big order. ♪ 44, 45, 46... how many of these did they order? ooh, that's hot. ♪ you know, we could sell these. nah. ♪
4:31 pm
we don't bake. ♪ opportunity. what we deliver by delivering.
4:32 pm
from capital one.nd i switched to the spark cash card i earn unlimited 2% cash back on everything i buy. and last year, i earned $36,000 in cash back. which i used to offer health insurance to my employees. what's in your wallet?
4:33 pm
>> martha: breaking news from moments ago, the irs has come from what the white house said earlier despite the government shut down, it will begin to process tax returns and mailing the refund checks beginning on january 28th. not to worry about the shut shut
4:34 pm
down at least on that front, right now, back to steve. >> we will offer an alternative to the corruption and incompetence in the white house. >> the government will be a progressive, principal and always on the site of the people. >> martha: new governor of california not wasting time, the president today during an all girl address. the new governor widely considered to be more aggressive and more aggressive than his predecessor jerry brown who already confirming he intends to ask the white house for changes to the state to move to a single-payer health care system in town yet and more contentious relationship between the golden state then we have seen so far in the past couple of years. the president last week. >> california always complains the great governors. they are always complaining and i said, let's not do it but let the governor ask us but we do it anyway because we needed it. tremendous problems so we built a brand-new wall in san diego
4:35 pm
and it's working well. >> martha: the next revolution california resident and obviously, just a contentious battle between this president in california. 44 lawsuits against the administration on everything from dhaka, sanctuary city, and now the governor. will it get more aggressive? yes and no is the truth, so basically who i should make sure a friend of mine, i know well, a great guy, don't agree on many policies, but i think of him very much as a positive kind of politician. he is not an angry kind of guy. and you saw him doing that tod today. but i think the part that you will see the aggression is actually what you mentioned, the lawsuits. the state attorney general, you might find him doing the dirty work in terms of really constantly opposing the
4:36 pm
president and his administration at every turn because it is after all a state totally dominated by democrats at every level. >> martha: you saw a number of seats in orange county, the hold out republican of democrat seats over the course of that but what they have seen of migration out of california, boston that million people over the past several years. obviously the taxes are high and not a great incentive for businesses to begin there. but you know, people go to texas a lot, especially from california to texas to find better. >> steve: and you have these huge social issues. the homeless problem and when you look at what is going on, like third world country and that is not some kind of hyperbole. it is disgusting, los angeles the same. and actually in the campaign to have a newson went as far as he reasonably could to criticize the previous democratic administration and jerry
4:37 pm
balance, these problems, we have been running for state. so i think he understands he's got big problems to deal with. another reason actually in the end a lot on his plate in california. i think he sees himself as a big future in politics beyond california one day. and i think you will want to show a positive problem-solving kind of guy, not just constantly to the president. he will leave that t to the attorney general. >> martha: obviously the president said you have the wall issue and he says they didn't want but went ahead and rebuilt that part of the wall, stronger and people sitting on it on the beach in san diego. that will continue to be -- >> steve: yes and an important connection between that and another point you mention health care systems. because if you have single-payer system which he promised in the campaign but now saying you will not get it overnight but not backing off of the promise. that will be huge incentives but
4:38 pm
even more immigration because the other component of that promise is that it will be open to all of the residents of california whether you are a citizen or not. and that will make it really attractive even to more people to come and get the free health care. >> martha: how do state start attracting people again? >> steve: i think one day and i don't know when that day will come, california will turn again. and that will be to do something to get the economy moving properly again for everyone, not just silicon valley billionaires but the working people of california. you have poverty in the country come up people being squeezed and can't afford it. people, two and three -- >> martha: rich people and poor people. >> steve: exactly and there will come a time when he common sense republican type solutions. that they will come and i can't predict when but it will happen. >> martha: may be the futurist, thank you, steve. a revolution, perhaps. >> steve: there you go.
4:39 pm
>> martha: trey gowdy with his feud with elizabeth and a twitter fight between these two and golden globe winners hollywood and beyond but new members suggest that no numbers, rather suggest that actually man could be the ones who are discriminated against in this world. stick around for that. >> i am making a bow and it will be tough to make sure that everything that i produce that is 50% women ...once a day... ...with nutrients that support 6 vital functions... ...and one healthy you. that's the power of one a day. let's blow out the candles together! ok, let's huff and puff. like you do sometimes, grandpa? well, when you have copd, it can be hard to breathe. so my doctor said... symbicort can help you breathe better-starting within 5 minutes. it doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms.
4:40 pm
symbicort helps provide significant improvement of your lung function. symbicort is for copd, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. it may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. symbicort could mean a day with better breathing. watch out, piggies! ask your doctor if symbicort is right for you. if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help. [indistinct conversation] [friend] i've never seen that before. ♪ ♪ i have... ♪
4:41 pm
4:42 pm
4:43 pm
>> martha: ride after, and acceptance speech at the golden globes -- golden globes, the gender equality and notice in this quip we are about to show you. they start playing the music like you had enough time and then when they got wind of what she was saying and they let her talk longer, watch this. >> the reason why we do this is because we understand there are microphones are big and we are speaking for everyone in the next two years, everything that i produce my making a vow and it will be tough to make sure that everything that i produce is 50% women. >> martha: we better let her talk otherwise, we will get in
4:44 pm
trouble for not letting her finish what she is saying. more opportunities for women in the workplace and a new political study finds that men are discriminated against more than women and 91 out of 134 countries including the united states. here now, senior editor at the daily wire, good to see you tonight, thank you for being here. what is the finding in this study and what are those parameters? what are they using that men are more discriminated against? >> this parameter such as workplace death or whether men are punished were showing that men are punished more harshly for the same crime as women. things that i've been talking about for years. i already do. but the study lays it out. i do want to know one major caveat in this study can be taken with a grain of salt, they list saudi arabia as being number three on the list of
4:45 pm
favoring women which is kind of odd to me considering it was just a couple of years ago that women got the right to drive in that country. take it with a grain of salt just as you would any other gender study claiming one gender is more depressed than another. >> martha: let's look at the comparisons of the country, ran number 57 and the united states at number 61. which nations are best for a quality, and which sect is better off? then you have mexico at number 65. >> writes an italy number one with slight favoring of men. so they took these different factors. they weighed them with a signed point value and found the scale ended up closer to zero you were come with a more equal you were. and the negative it favored women in f and the positive it favored men. again, these factors, compulsory, military involvement
4:46 pm
and the harsher punishments. >> martha: some quality of life, fairness, judicial system and a lot of those kinds of factors. b2 right. one of the things we obviously hear about when that -- women candidates they should be elected because they are women. if you don't like them it indicates sexism and not just you don't think they are a great canada come although elizabeth warren has been, you know, suggested she is unlikable by some of the things that have been written about her and she's compared to hillary clinton. and then it is not sexist to call elizabeth warren -- 2020 oh women will be likable. they have to be because the charge of unlikable is now, sexist. what do you think about that? >> ashe: she is absolutely right. we saw throughout obama's many time you criticized his policy you were called a racist. i knew with hillary clinton
4:47 pm
elected any time any of her policies covered, you know, protested, it would claim sexism and she still claimed sexism in the election itself. that is something we have to look for it. something carol notes but they only point women. nancy pelosi, you know women about hillary's age come also white women, who have basically the same policies, but when othr women such as harris, alexandria cortez, republicans made disagree on many, many isss but more likable people. they actually have a personality. and so for politico or the people that are attacking warren, politico actually did make with people attack on war making the claim. so for them, they are leaving out men, right? met romney, al gore, john kerry also unlikable. that is why they didn't win the election. what do they have in common?
4:48 pm
older and kind of boring. harris and alexander -- >> martha: you can be unlikable whether man or woman? >> ashe: right. >> martha: decades. you are not boring at all. good to see you again tonight, thank you. >> martha: coming up next, trey gowdy asked response to elizabeth warren insult of him. she accused him to leaving congress to get a big fat lobbyist check. his response to that right after this. >> we will practice law in south carolina with a firm i have a history with them more importantly, with two lawyers i have worked with over the last couple of years. i am to the point, like martha, who i do things with matters as much as what i do.
4:49 pm
i can't tell you who i am or what i witnessed, but i can tell you liberty mutual customized my car insurance so i only pay for what i need. oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no... only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
4:50 pm
4:51 pm
♪ (woman) and my brother ray and i started startsearching for answers.ords. (vo) when it's time to navigate in-home care,
4:52 pm
follow that bright star. because brightstar care earns the same accreditation as the best hospitals. and brightstar care means an rn will customize a plan that evolves with mom's changing needs. (woman) because dad made us promise we'd keep mom at home. (vo) call 844-4-brightstar for your free home care planning guide. >> martha: just days after
4:53 pm
settling into civilian life, trey gowdy dragged into a nasty, political fight, or to get away. elizabeth warren accused of him trying to enrich himself as a lobbyist. starting a new job as white-collar crime attorney, part of the business they will be doing in his home state. warren tweeted, gaudi foamed at the mouth with congress and then retired because he did not enjo. now it's clear trey gowdy wanted it fat lobbyist paycheck. that should be illegal. here now, former house oversight committee, nelson's law firm in south carolina and joins me now, good to see you mr. gaudi. thank you for being here tonight. you reacted to that on twitter but let's pull up what your reaction was to elizabeth warren. you said, i'm not lobbing not now not ever and perhaps you were cracking open a beer when that was announced. don't mind your criticism but be more sensitive to the facts.
4:54 pm
>> there are a million things that you can criticize me for and if she's struggling to come up with a list, my wife is happy to help. but i'm not a lobbyist. i will not be a fat lobbyist. i will not be a skinniest lobbyist, plus size one and not a lobbyist at all. that is a factual matter. all she would have to do if she really wanted to know, she could call me. most of her colleagues have my cell phone number and she could have said, hey, what are you going to do? i need to criticize you and i need to decide what to criticize for you for. she stumbled upon the thing that is factually untrue and it does mcneil wonder, i don't mind the criticisms. actually, being as criticized by elizabeth warren helps me in south carolina. what i do mind and what colleagues pointed out over the weekend, if you are going to criticize the president and other people for being loose with the facts, don't be loose with the facts yourself.
4:55 pm
she is running for president of the united states. and she kicked set off by making demonstrably false allegation against a former colleague. i don't get it. >> martha: here is the beer video which is what prompted that part of your tweet. watch this. >> hold on a sect. i'm going to get me a beer. hey, my husband is now here. you want a beer? >> no come i will pass on a beer. >> >> martha: i don't know. we just played it because you mentioned it in your tweet. it is hilarious. >> trey: it is so natural. and i was struck by authenticity and the naturalness of that. >> martha: when she says she drinks beer all the time. she is probably not as instagram savvy as some but maybe she will work on that as she moves
4:56 pm
forward. i want to get your thoughts on the border wall controversy because from a legal perspective, we talked to judge napolitano but does the president have a right when it comes to the border? >> trey: the president has legal rights when it comes to national emergencies. actually, i don't think that is the route he will go. i think he is looking for a willing negotiating partner and martha come with the folks across from the table think i should be disbanded and border troll gases with intent children and any physical boundary is nativist and racist, that is a tough bargaining position. if that is who is across the table. so i think he is looking for leverage. i was with lindsey graham a lot yesterday and one thing i hope my republican colleagues, former colleagues will make is, a lot of democratic senators voted for physical boundary funding in the past. what change? we know the cartels no longer an issue?
4:57 pm
the drug epidemic over? why did you vote for in the past but now you think it is negative and general phobic? i have yet to hear a democrat answer that question with conviction. >> martha: here is lindsey graham on "face the nation." watch this. >> we have to negotiate with people that want to apologize but not support ice. people who see the border patrol agents gassing children rather than defend the borders as professional law enforcement officers. we are negotiating with people one depth of the law even though moral and accused all of us who support a wall as part of a border security racist. as long as the radical is in charge, we will never get anywhere. the president will compromise but he will not capitulate. >> martha: where do you see this going? >> trey: i don't see how, the democrats will not spend a dollar, not $1 on a physical
4:58 pm
boundary. and i don't think the president trump and mulvaney and republican colleagues, i don't think that they will capitulate to use lindsay's word and pass an appropriations bill that doesn't have hunting for it. so that gives gets me back to if you thought it was a good idea n the past, if you voted to fund it in the past, what has changed? in a court of public opinion where this will be sold to come i think fellow citizens are open to he liked in the past, why don't you like it now, and what metric is different? i don't think anyone will argue that the border is more secure and better off in that we have fewer problems and fewer enemies than they wanted to fund the wall in the past. >> martha: i want to ask you from mick mulvaney home state of south carolina, word floating around that he has recently has the end of the year, just a few weeks ago, was talking to somebody about potentially becoming the president of the university of south carolina.
4:59 pm
is that true? >> trey: let me say two things come i think nick would be fantastic in a college setting. mix three best friend or tim scott, lindsey graham and trey gowdy. and we are all three native south carolina ends so if you want to be the president, don't you think you would have reachet to one of those three and said, hey, can you help? he didn't call lindsay, he didn't call to me and he didn't talk to me. i don't know where the reporting is coming from. nick would be great, but the notion that nick is trying to get out of his current job, why not ask two u.s. senators and he hasn't done it. >> trey: i barely got in college, i can't run one. >> martha: trey gowdy, thank you very much, sir, good to see you tonight. this monday night, let me know what you think, tweet @marthamaccallum, @thestoryfnc, carlson is
5:00 pm
coming up on washington, d.c. and we will see the draft from the president. see you then. ♪ >> tucker: a good evening and welcome to the "tucker carlson tonight" ." the battle of the congress and border wall is still ongoing as you know now until its third week. large swathes of government remain shut down and trash remains on the ground. the president says he will not give in until he gets funding for the border wall. he plans to travel to the mexican border to make his case. the battle lines remain exactly in place as they were last week. they can't allow a wall to be dealt under any circumstances, but they say it could be because of the risk to the secure

62 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on