Skip to main content

tv   Cavuto Live  FOX News  July 27, 2019 7:00am-9:00am PDT

7:00 am
>> ♪ ♪ griff: we're just doing the dance. jedediah: [laughter] griff: and we're petting the shark's tail. pete: have a great saturday, everybody. neil: all right, everyone is fixated on this, the mueller hearings and not so much this, your money and exactly how much they are spending, and the federal debt that is ballooning. the house passing a budget deal that guarantees both and continuing at a record pace, before going out on their summer break so this isn't really a red or blue problem, my friend. try a green one. lots of it going in both parties at fault. to garrett tenney in washington whose been crunching the numbers >> well neil these are big numbers to crunch in this two year budget deal $1.37 trillion spending in the first year alone , and let's take a closer
7:01 am
look at what this bipartisan deal includes. discretionary spending limits go up by nearly $324 billion over two years, defense spending will increase $22 billion next year, to a total of 738 billion, and then, to 740 billion, in 2021 and non-defense spending, gets a $27 billion jump in the first year to 632 billion and then goes to 634, in year two, and because this is a bipartisan deal, neither side is completely satisfied, but both sides are happy to put off a looming side over spending that could threaten a potential default until u.s. debt until 2021 after the next presidential election. >> the full faith and credit of the united states of america has never been in doubt the constitution says that, and now we removed all doubt, at least until july 31, 2021. >> president trump endorsed this deal but 65 republicans voted against it, over concerns
7:02 am
about spending and the national debt, but gop leaders are touting the fact that the deal includes $77 billion in spending cuts to help offset the overall increase in spending, even though that figure, is half of what the white house was initially pushing for. >> i believe our greatest crisis in america today is our debt. >> unfortunately we're living in a world where the new socialistic democrats are in the majority. >> if you look what they had passed in the appropriations and what we'll vote on today is $100 billion. while this trump-endorsed bill passed the house and is expected to pass the senate there is still some uncertainty about whether or not the president will sign it because he has supported bills in the past, only to reject them, later on right before passage. neil? neil: garrett thank you very very much so obviously fiscal discipline is out no matter which party you are in so what to make of all of this? we have fox business network susan li, democratic strategist
7:03 am
jessica tarlov and kat timpf. susan, it's safe to say that neither party really cares about this. they don't. >> i agree. neil: and when i see polls of americans it's not even on their top 10 issues neither do most voters. >> well i think the age is definitely over, for the u.s. government. remember the budget control act of obama-era in 2011 it was meant to cap the amount of spending but right now, i think both parties want their own way and raise the debt ceiling so we don't have this argument over a debt default. the markets like it but can the u.s. afford it at $21 trillion in debt and who pays for it eventually i think that's a big question. neil: i know they just wanted it out of the way so they could move on to other things. >> we've got an impeachment to get to, neil. neil: right, and you know, i just think that people forget, that this piles up and up and up >> yeah, they definitely forget it and there are few people who actually do stick to their guns about this, we saw senators mike lee and rand paul vote against
7:04 am
the 9/11 compensation bill for instance on the basis of how much these are costing and where we're getting at the money for these kinds of things it's a really unpopular thing to be doing, and if you listen to nancy pelosi's press conference what she was explaining and she wasn't saying any of us are so concerned about the price tag but let's talk about priorities for every 10 billion they are going to get republicans get on defense spending we want to make sure we're funding our public schools, our health care system, and that's really what i feel like politicians go to, the ballot box with, arguing for their constituents just to say if you like my priorities we're all spending so do you want to spending on defense or education and that's kind of -- neil: i just think the hipocracy around this is off the charts, and i'm hearing kevin mccarthy lecturing democrats on socialistic spending and he signs on to something that's going to be hundreds of billions of dollars ready over sequestration and levels that were already in place that have been blown away. i'm just wondering whether under
7:05 am
barack obama or this president, the fact of the matter this grow s and grows as it has in the post world war ii period with a brief interruption under bill clinton, and i don't know how we reign that back. >> well we're going to have to at some point, right and that's the real issue is that we don't have anyone, remember the tea party remember when this was a thing? it's not a thing any more. i don't know why anybody still associates republican, with fiscal conservative orifice call ly responsible because if you look at this, this is obviously not the case. neil: but 65 republicans vote for the president. i'm not saying they are all, you know, juice just caesar. i'm just saying they did bolt from him even though the president was making it very very clear, don't do that. >> and i'm certainly glad to see that there wasn't that strong of republican support in the house on this, but the fact that the president still supporting it, it's just the fact that there's going to be spending just like jessica was saying depends on what you want to spend on right and this all started with republicans making deals with democrats saying okay if we can spend this much on
7:06 am
defense but you get this much on domestic spending, and it's just spending no matter what you are spending on is the same. neil: i agree and guys if we can , we've got interesting chart s that just show this. it's a bipartisan binge. let's just suffice it to say and we go do this dating back from reporter: when a lot of this picked up steam and now the argument against it is saying well under ronald regan the economy booked, 20 million jobs under the president growth and even in the face of the deficits that turned into massive debt, so everyone can chill, but the fact of the matter is though, you don't need much, a trillion dollars added to something as it will be in the next couple of years, is based on levels that are very very high, so it's not a huge leap. it's a 4 to 5% leap from these levels and they are getting much smaller leaps to just out of time and the markets, susan, they don't seem too concerned. >> because it's an overhang. because remember the last time
7:07 am
we got to this point where sequestration was born by the way is when we went past the debt limits and there was a concern about whether or not the u.s. will default on its debt and the markets plunge. i think the point is we don't want to hit that point once again and this is an extension for two years so we don't have to battle for short-term spending bills over and over. neil: this isn't a done deal. this doesn't avoid the spending, the 12 measures that have to be voted on one at a time so we could still face problems but that's not likely to be the face , right? >> well getting something until 2021 is so beyond the realm of imagination, because we were dealing in three week increments remember when we had the shutdown and even talking about with the border bill president trump saying i'm giving you two weeks for this, three weeks, when it's a huge relief, i think , for people down in washington, to just know that we can kind of vote on the measures but this will be donald this is not an election issue that anyone is running on and we can say that we did this. the interesting conversation that i don't see happening that much is the impact on the deficit of these tax cuts,
7:08 am
because there are a lot of conversations obviously with a slowed growth number with the 2.1%. >> still better-than-expected though. >> but it's down from the 3.1 and president trump promised 4% or 6% he said. neil: but they destroyed that. >> well i do enjoy when they do that but it's an interesting conversation i feel like democrats are going to have to be having when they are talking about this economy because the economy is -- neil: but is their spending plan and initiatives going to really be a good counter argument? >> i don't know if you have to make the counter argument when you have the $16 billion bail out for the farmers which their analysis is saying it's like too much of a bail out they went above what they needed to, to compensate for the impact of the tariffs. i think there is a whole for democrats to be talking about hipocracy on that side obviously about the spending and the priority. neil: but if they are spending one about spending and they are talking about blowing all of their own with spending that is not paid for with the exception, you can argue, whether elizabeth warren's plan will add up, but
7:09 am
at least she does have a plan to pay for a lot of that stuff. she has a plan for everything. neil: absolutely and i'm just wondering and kat, maybe a point for you is no one is saying on this, and i worry that they are sort of hoodwinging the american people saying we're not worried about it, and the way the markets aren't worried about it, we'll keep doing what we've been doing for years. >> i don't understand why people aren't more worried about it particularly young people. a lot of young people tend to like these, forgive student debt and a lot of them are more liberal and progressive and they like these policies but i don't think they realize that we very well may be the ones that have to pay for it so for me it's personal and i don't understand why for young people -- neil: security looks pretty good >> right. but i will never see that. i will never see tha. yeah, i can tell you that. neil: i always tell my kids your mother and i hads are spending every last dime. all right ladies we'll have you
7:10 am
back in a while here and this is a big issue and it seems a little nerdy to start a show but this is important we keep in mind this is a bipartisan binge as i said and it'll be a focus of all of the shows we do because it's your money folks, and they are pissing it away. all right, in the meantime -- >> [laughter] neil: did i say what i just thought i said? >> you definitely did. neil: that's legal. a big supreme court win for the president, and his plan to build a border wall on the very same day he got help from guatemala. we're on top oh, too development s the president is already tweeting about it as we speak. sir, you're a broker. what do you charge for online equity trades? uh, i'll look into it. (phone rings) lisa jones! lisa: (on phone) hey carl, what are you charging me for online equity trades? (nervous chuckle) lisa: and do i get my fees back if i'm not happy? like a satisfaction guarantee? ugh. schwab! lisa: oh right, i'm calling schwab. thanks, carl! wait, lisa! lisa... are you getting low costs
7:11 am
backed by a satisfaction guarantee? if not, talk to schwab. a modern approach to wealth management. - i like to plan my activities before i take trip, so by the time i get there i can just enjoy the ride. with tripadvisor, it's easy to discover over 100,000 bookable things to do, from walking tours in rome to wine tastings in tuscany, and if you like what you see, you can book it with ease. just another way tripadvisor helps you make your trip a masterpiece. ♪ hoo - read reviews, check hotel prices, book things to do. tripadvisor.
7:12 am
7:13 am
neil: all right i want to show you some levity coming into us from hong kong this represents i believe now what would be the 7th weekend in a row of protest in hong kong these ones which were a lot more crowded, earlier in the day, it would be 10:13 p.m. there, right now.
7:14 am
over the treatment of protesters earlier this weekend in hong kong, and the use of the force against them including tear gas and bully clubs that sort of thing. they are protesting that and many of them wanted to make their way to the airport in hong kong, and remind those citizens who fly back to china, for example, that they are really at the gunpoint here, and they want people to be aware of that. they want the world to be aware of that. things have calmed down considerably here. china has promised, we're told, and this is coming from a finance minister, the appropriate response, whatever that means, but again, things are calmer than they were but this continues ongoing among hong kong residents, very disturbed, first of all, by the crackdown in china, on hong kong and furthermore, that the chinese are promising still more action against them, so we don't know what that action could be, but obviously these folks not
7:15 am
too pleased with that approach. more on that in just a second. in the meantime, want to keep you posted on some developments on the immigration or the illegal immigration front, more to the point, the president had sort of a double win yesterday, not only getting a commitment on the part of guatemala to crackdown on illegals who pass through their country to get to this country that maybe guatemala will do more to keep them in their country and then a supreme court victory that essentially allows the president to use those pentagon funds after all to build that border wall. joining me now the former acting i.c.e. director tom homan. very good to have you. on this double win for the president is it your sense now that those funds, they are already out there, they are already useable, and they are already technically going to be spent. how do you decide it? >> yeah, thank you, look i think first of all it's a huge win for the president but i honestly think it's a huge win for america. look, every place, neil, we've
7:16 am
talked about it before. every place that builds a border barrier if you really look at the data, every place they build a border barrier it has resulted in a decreased illegal immigration, decreased illegal drug flow, so this is a huge win for the american people, so i think the presidents will move quickly with both dod and dhs, to contract additional miles of new border wall in strategic locations across the southwest border. neil: now, you were early on a critic of the democrat punting on a last ditch effort at immigration reform. they say because they couldn't get everyone together in a party on that but you referred to the fact that by doing so, they are showing their hipocracy, you wrote in a opinion piece, i believe on fox news, that if we do not have the ability to detain those who illegally enter our country, we will never solve the immigration crisis. well, nothing was done to address that, and they had the golden opportunity to do just that. >> you know, neil, and that
7:17 am
brings up a good point. again this president, whether you like him or love him, this president has done more to secure our southern border and protect our sovereignty than any president in my lifetime especially when the three decade s i've served in enforcing the immigration law and it's a sad day in america when you got to admit the fact is the country of guatemala, and the country of mexico, has done more to secure our southern border and to save lives than a democratic leadership and that's just not a sound bite. that's a fact. stone cold fact, that a democratic leadership is sitting there doing nothing but resisting this president. this president has took numerous steps to secure the border and declared a national emergency, unprecedented resources, dod, dh s. he wrote immigration reform legislation. he's building a wall. i mean, he's done everything he can and now this deal with guatemala, plus the deal with mexico, mexico is doing more than they have ever done. this president is trying to keep his promise to the american people meanwhile democratic
7:18 am
leadership is ignoring the whole crisis. nancy pelosi had a meeting yesterday talking about all of the thins that the democratic leadership is going to take on. never even mentioned the border crisis and people dying on the southern border. neil: you know, what's interesting too, the measure the democrats were considering, i guess, byes this veronica esco bar, a texas congresswoman, who had been arguing for what really wasn't revolutionary reform, just dotting the i's crossing the t's it was abandoned oned by steny hoyer who told orders we need to do this in a thoughtful way, this isn't last minute. this is like decades long, so what do you think was behind shelving that? >> i think that the progressive s, part of the democratic party, the really progressive part, that want open borders and even most of the democratic nominees for president are saying they want zero detention. they want to get away from the
7:19 am
detention and reward people here illegally with citizenship. they want to give free medical care. i think the democratic party, i think that the far left, is taking the party farther left, so i think they are having a problem getting the party to agree what sort of immigration form they want to put on the table. what i'm hearing from the democratic nominees for president and from the far left progressives like the squad, it's a losing issue for them because america does not want open borders. america does not want sanctuary cities where criminal aliens can run free against u.s. citizens so i think they got an issue within that party. >> you know what i don't understand though and you pointed out, that i.c.e. is congressionally mandated to handle this crisis, and 72% of all of the migrants detained are congressionally mandated to be detained, so if you want to un mandate that, have at it, but that's the fact, so you don't like it, i mean you can change the mandates, you can do some of
7:20 am
the things that this democratic congresswoman was looking to do, or you can drop it entirely, but then there's the facts. >> and that's why i wrote that op-ed, neil, about once a week. neil: i know it was absolutely excellent. >> no, thank you. but the democrat leadership wants to talk about, well, you know we don't want any detention but they don't tell the american people, seven out of 10 people in detention is because congressman dates they be in detention so no, they don't tell the american people the factual truth behind immigration enforcement and i've said many times if you don't like what i.c.e. does or if you don't like what border security does, change the law, but you can't abolish law enforcement agency for enforcing a law that you enacted. i didn't think congress was in the business of enacting laws. i don't know another law enforcement agency that congress asked do you know what? we're not going to fix it. we just want you to ignore it and it shouldn't be that way with i.c.e. or border patrol.
7:21 am
neil: what's annoying about it is it's hard to look through a republican prism, or a i'm a numbers guy and a lot of these fatalitieses that are proving to be so controversial particularly to the squad and to some of these other democratic groups is we're built under barack obama to deal with a wave that was already starting back then, and now its gotten exponentially larger, but its started under president trump. i'm not blaming him, but these facilities that are now such liberal started under administrations that early on saw this migrant surge. >> look, you're correct in that the so-called cages which i don't think are cages. they were built under president obama. we built 3,000 family beds under president obama, but i don't apologize for that unless it's a necessary response. the difference is back under president obama when there was a surge at the border the congress came quickly and gave i.c.e. money to build these facilities and now the numbers are worse
7:22 am
and the democratic leadership is ignoring it and pointing their finger at these facilities built under the obama administration. the i.c.e. facilities are first grade facilities. neil: you're right tom it is a political finger pointing. its got to stop. we'll have a lot more on this including what's going on with that russia probe after this. fact is, every insurance company hopes you drive safely. but allstate actually helps you drive safely... with drivewise. it lets you know when you go too fast... ...and brake too hard. with feedback to help you drive safer. giving you the power to actually lower your cost. unfortunately, it can't do anything about that. now that you know the truth... are you in good hands? to tune... fix fletching... and practice until your groups are tight and consistent. it's time to get your season off to the right start.
7:23 am
so head to bass pro shops and cabela's archery gear up sale. come check out the newest gear from archery's top brands, with huge savings so you can stock up on the gear you need. plus get your bow outfitted, tuned and sited right in the store. bass pro shops and cabela's. your adventure starts here. so chantix can help you quit slow turkey.key. along with support, chantix is proven to help you quit. with chantix you can keep smoking at first and ease into quitting. chantix reduces the urge so when the day arrives, you'll be more ready to kiss cigarettes goodbye. when you try to quit smoking, with or without chantix, you may have nicotine withdrawal symptoms. stop chantix and get help right away if you have changes in behavior or thinking, aggression, hostility, depressed mood, suicidal thoughts or actions, seizures, new or worse heart or blood vessel problems,
7:24 am
sleepwalking, or life-threatening allergic and skin reactions. decrease alcohol use. use caution driving or operating machinery. tell your doctor if you've had mental health problems. the most common side effect is nausea. quit smoking slow turkey. talk to your doctor about chantix. we like drip coffee, layovers- -and waiting on hold. what we don't like is relying on fancy technology for help. snail mail! we were invited to a y2k party... uh, didn't that happen, like, 20 years ago? oh, look, karolyn, we've got a mathematician on our hands! check it out! now you can schedule a callback or reschedule an appointment, even on nights and weekends. today's xfinity service. simple. easy. awesome. i'd rather not.
7:25 am
>> we are continuing the investigation of the president's malfeasance and we will do what we feel, and we will consider what we have to consider including whether we should
7:26 am
recommend the articles of impeachment to the house. neil: all right i think that's jerry nadler's way of saying i'm not giving up on this and part of that process is trying to get grand jury evidence that was in the mueller report to further this and there is a precedent for that, during the watergate period providing a sort of roadmap for the house judiciary committee to do the same against richard nixon. that was then. is it the same now? not necessarily. according to my next guest, former independent counsel robert ray. what's difference now? when democrats say he did it then they should do it now. >> good morning, neil. i think the difference is it's a 45-year-old precedent, what was different then is that the house had actually voted to open up an impeachment proceeding something that obviously chairman nadler has side stepped, because the democrats don't have the votes. why? the speaker of the house, nancy pelosi doesn't support it. so that's the first distinguish ment. neil: the democrats in the majority even with that majority the votes aren't there to take
7:27 am
it to that next level. >> correct. neil: they are afraid -- >> that's a significant issue dings is that a distinction is with a difference that really matters, hard to say. it's a clever move by chairman nadler, but the question is -- neil: what would be the value in doing that and use the example during water gate. the key language from the law, which is federal rule of criminal procedure 6 e says as follows: preliminarily to, or in connection with a judicial proceeding and the court 45 years ago in the dc circuit said an impeachment proceeding because it ultimately would lead to a trial of the president in this instance, in the senate, is close enough to a judicial pro proceeding that will allow it to go forward but the second important difference from the decision 45 years ago was in that case the d.c. circuit also said that the justice department joined in the application and any concerns that the court had about separation of powers were
7:28 am
rendered essentially suplanted and the key issue there was remember, that even though it's a grand jury proceeding and grand jury matters that chairman nadler is trying to get access to, that material resides within the executive branch, because it is how you open up a criminal prosecution, right? neil: right. >> the separation of powers issue though was side stepped in the court's view 45 years ago, because it was both the judiciary committee and the justice department that supported before a court the release of grand jury material. i expect, and attorney general barr has already signaled this, that he is not going to support jerry nadler's application. indeed it's likely the justice department relying on not only the decision but a more recent case from not long ago in april of this year the d.c. circuit also reconsidered that prior ruling and in the case called mc keever versus bar made very apparent that it was skeptical, even of the merits of the
7:29 am
underlying decision but also, pointed out from language from that case, that there are two important distinguishing feature s that make it unusual and one would require the whole house to support this and the second that the justice department supports it as well. i don't expect that to happen here. neil: the latter particularly. >> right. i predict ultimately at the end of the day a court will say close, but not close enough. the remedy is if congress doesn't like the current statute it has the power to pass new legislation to allow this to occur, but they don't have the votes for that obviously either. neil: that's what i'm sensing here and maybe it was after robert mueller's disappointing testimony seemed disconnected not even aware of certain developments including the steele dossier and all of that, but they are grasping here and this is more politically grasping. now, i think it's where does it go? >> i think it's somewhat of a half hearted measure this was made out the door as they go on recess for six weeks and they do that for their progressive base,
7:30 am
but i really don't think -- neil: well the progressive base wants the president's head. sure so they have to be seen as trying to pursue it. neil: but we have a report. we have a report. we didn't have a report with richard nixon going into it and obviously the hearings themselves provided it here, but what do you make of that distinction? >> i think the distinguishing feature is where are the articles of impeachment? where is the actual proceeding before the house judiciary? neil: do you think anything that mueller said that he left it in congress' hands to find those articles that by even acknowledging to prosecute the president? >> neil we've talked about this many times from the beginning. the answer is no. i think he recognized reality which is that there are alternative means to holding a president to account but when the congress, the hearings tried to get through the house judiciary committee, mueller to say, you know, isn't this essentially out to an impeachment referral obviously, he would not go there.
7:31 am
neil: but he was perfectly fine with them pursuing this after he leaves office. >> i don't think that's realistic. i think the justice department ultimately has made the call. the attorney general said the matter doesn't go forward and find sufficient evidence there's obstruction of justice. you think once the president leaves office if he's re-elected the statute of limitations will have run and if he's defeated do you think a democratic-led department of justice is going to pursue this? why would they not be able to do that? for the same reason that president trump really wouldn't be able to through a republican- led justice department prosecute hillary clinton, lock her up. the reason is because then, the judicial process and the prosecutorial process would be perceived with some merit. and it's overly political and retribution against your political opponents. neil: so republicans how can there be obstruction of justice if there was no crime of course with watergate, richard nixon didn't break in but he still
7:32 am
obstructed paying off -- >> he created a conspiracy to pay off witnesses and use the cia to interfere with an fbi investigation. everybody understood that to be a problem in obstruction of justice here, and the investigation was never actually obstructed. neil: all right, thank you very much, my friend you make sense of a very complicated issue. >> i try to as hard as it maybe neil: you should pursue the law thing it looks very promising. in the meantime a democratic presidential candidate still calling for impeachment proceedings nevertheless, after this. who's dog is this? it's my special friend, antonio. his luxurious fur calms my nerves when i'm worried about moving into our new apartment. why don't we just ask geico for help with renters insurance? i didn't know geico helps with renters insurance. yeah, and we could save a bunch too. antonio! fetch computer! antonio? i'll get it. get to know geico and see how much you could save
7:33 am
on renters insurance.
7:34 am
7:35 am
when ywith the dealershiparvana, you'over their high prices, worrying if you got a good deal. it's why we invented the new way to buy a car that's completely online, so you get the low price from the start. no expensive dealerships. no commissions. no pressure. only buying a car on your time knowing the low price you see on our site is the low price you'll get. in fact, this is how our customers have saved literally hundreds of millions of dollars with us versus dealerships. at carvana, we don't just say we're going to save you money, we save you money.
7:36 am
neil: all right, some of the 2020 candy donald trumps would are running for president right now are still calling for impeachment proceedings to begin , to be heard of my next, calling for that for many many months right now our constitution says the president must be impeached for misdemeanors and we know that donald trump has committed crimes and it's now our job as democrats to impeach him that 2020 democratic presidential candidate is the massachusetts congressman, who joins me right now. seth moulton. good to see you, neil. neil: let me ask you when we were discussing during the break , this delicate dance nancy pelosi is leading. yes, go ahead, look into things, but careful, careful, careful, and i think she almost all but told nadler, jerry nadler the house judiciary committee don't get ahead of yourself so what do you think of that? >> this is a woman whose politically brilliant and she's made the argument for a long
7:37 am
time that the politics of impeachment are tough and we've heard you watch fox news and they talk about how the polls are against impeachment, and i get that, but my view is how about just doing the right thing by the constitution? because i didn't swear to protect and defend the politics of my party. i swore to protect and defend the constitution of the united states. word-for-word, the same other that i swore is the united states marines so that's the way i like it. neil: but is your argument, congressman, sort of undercut by robert mueller not really agreeing or seemingly agreeing? now he was limited in what he could say and he did seem to have the possibility, congress, the balls in your court right now. i think that was very clear. neil: but then what do you do? if he's saying, all right, you could pursue this on your own, congress, it's in the eye of the beholder. >> i mean you just had a guest on whose the whitewater counsel, but his argument was -- neil: so a few years and found
7:38 am
nothing? >> well he found a lot and it's very well detailed in the report you read the executive summary of the report and you can't come away from that saying the president didn't break the law and the constitution is very simple. neil: i don't know if you're a lawyer, but bottom line is -- >> i'm not a lawyer either. neil: no wonder i understand, but one of the things that is is in the eye of the beholder. it's not so black and white. it wasn't a crime and i know water gate was just the opposite you obstructed something even though you had nothing to do with the crime, i get that but that is just not the overwhelming evidence that there was, let's say, forward. >> you asked him, you asked your guest if he would, the president could be charged after he left office, and his answer was no, because the statute of limitations would run out. i'm sorry we're not talking about statue of limitations unless there's a crime committed here, okay? mueller has made it very clear, and it's not just obstruction of justice although he's metal
7:39 am
three criteria, as was pointed out for what obstruction of justice, what counts for it and it's also the fact that this is a president who lies repeatedly. let's not forget that republican s made the argument that clinton should be impeached because he lied about a sex act in the white house. this is a president who mueller refused to interview because as he said he knew he would lie because he lies every single day and he's instructed -- neil: well but the president wouldn't talk to him. he's flaunted the constitution by instructing his aids not to show up for subpoenas. i mean, talk about a violation, of the constitution that iris beinged my life to protect. i mean, this is blatant, and -- neil: but does it bug you then i know you're running for president, but that the party, you're right, you're right, i admire that but will the people support or reject what you're doing but the party seems to be saying, nancy pelosi seems to be
7:40 am
saying maybe reading the possibility that even if he succeeds in the house and goes nowhere in the senate so this is all political theatre. >> it's not if you're doing the right thing, what's political theatre is playing politics with your constitutional duty and to be honest, neil, i think our party is making a mistake. neil: fine, but does it even appear on the top 10 list of american's concerns right now. >> 30% of america -- neil: that's not a fox poll. it's cnn poll. 30% of american thought nixon should be impeached when impeachment proceedings began and that number sky rocketed once the case was made before the american people. most americans have no idea what's in there and they don't understand how strong the case is. if congress does it's constitutional duty and has this transparent debate before the american people i think that those numbers will change but at the end of the day it's really not about the numbers. in fact a much higher number of americans, 45% already think that trump should be impeached so it's way higher than when impeachment proceedings began.
7:41 am
neil: but you're fighting an economic fight. i always said, congressman, bill clinton absorbed those body blows because of the economy and the markets are doing fine. a lot of the wall street people i talked to aren't red or blue. they are green and they are making it hand over fist with this president as they were with bill clinton, richard nixon wasn't so fortunate in that environment. do you think that's what's coming into play here and when you're arguing politically, that you might think, it should be, it's just not. >> but again, my argument isn't political. it's based on the constitution, so you've made a good political argument. you agree with speaker pelosi that the politics of this are tough that it might change our chances -- neil: but i'm agreeing with the environment and what voters think. you're saying go beyond that even if the people don't seem to be hot to trot to do it, do it. >> i've got, we have 1,500 pieces of constituent mail every single week and i only have two brought into my office and one of them says this.
7:42 am
a statesmen don't follow polls. the point is let's just put the polls aside for a minute. do the right thing by the constitution and if we do that, i think eventually the polls will catch up. neil: speaking of polls, you're not part of these next wave of debates, are you annoyed? >> i mean look, i won't tell you that i'm not prefer to be on the stage, but at the end of the day, the washington democratic national committee establishment is not going to pick this nominee, and whose on the stage in this for the summer debates is a long way away from what happens in february. my message is resonating on the ground and that's what matters, and people want -- neil: how do you think in new hampshire, do you think that might carryover? >> general mccrystal endorsed me last week because he said this is the person that i want to be my president. this is the person i think can actually beat trump. this is the person that can go into a general election and build the coalition of democrats everyone in the democratic party
7:43 am
plus independents those obama trump voters and even some republicans that's the coalition that we need to build in order to defeat a sitting president, because i agree with you that trump is going to be much harder to beat than many democrats think, and the message i hear on the ground is that we want you to be a part of this debate. we want the only combat veteran in this race, in the middle of the longest one in history. we want that voice on that stage and so i'm going to keep fighting. neil: your only problem is the red sox thing and the loyalty there but it's very good to have you, congressman thank you very much. thank you for taking the time. they got lucky in a couple of games, folks. we have a lot more coming up including the president likely now to tweet, because of what the congressman had to say, but more importantly, likely and still tweeting about records in the markets and the economy, and saying that's the wind at his back. is it? after this. with all that usaa offers
7:44 am
why go with anybody else? we know their rates are good, we know that they're always going to take care of us. it was an instant savings and i should have changed a long time ago. we're the tenney's and we're usaa members for life. call usaa to start saving on insurance today. who used expedia to book the vacation rental which led to the discovery that sometimes a little down time can lift you right up. expedia. everything you need to go.
7:45 am
expedia.
7:46 am
i felt i couldn't be at my best wifor my family. c, in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured and left those doubts behind. i faced reminders of my hep c every day. but in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured. even hanging with friends i worried about my hep c. but in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured. mavyret is the only 8-week cure for all common types of hep c. before starting mavyret your doctor will test if you've had hepatitis b which may flare up and cause serious liver problems during and after treatment. tell your doctor if you've had hepatitis b, a liver or kidney transplant, other liver problems, hiv-1, or other medical conditions, and all medicines you take including herbal supplements. don't take mavyret with atazanavir or rifampin, or if you've had certain liver problems. common side effects include headache and tiredness. with hep c behind me, i feel free... ...fearless... ...and there's no looking back, because i am cured. talk to your doctor about mavyret.
7:47 am
neil: all right, steady as she goes, not too bad, the economy moving head at about a 2.1% clip in the second quarter, that beat estimates, and was down from the 3.1% in the first quarter which the president largely blamed on the federal reserve, and we had the nasdac and the s&p closing out the week in record territory , the dow not far from that, so what to make of all of this, now we have fox's own susan li and chief investment officer, wealth management aaron gibbs. so, it's almost like a goldie locks number, if you think about it not too strong or weak but just enough for the federal reserve to cut rates. >> yes, wall street is going ya y, we're getting cut so yes it is sweet in that it wasn't too strong, we're definitely expect ing that rate cut on wednesday. it slightly beat expectations but it's not surprising because
7:48 am
we knew coming in we were expect ing lower revenue growth for this year, and we've also seen a decline in foreign investments, so u.s. companies are still increasing their capital expenditures that increased by 11% over the second quarter but the foreign investments and foreign revenues have massively slowed down. neil: but what hasn't slowed down is the consumer whose still spending like crazy and if that were not the case it would be a very different report. >> that was the reason why we actually saw better-than-expected report because that offset a big drop in business investment in companies unsure as to where this trade war is going to go, and whether or not we're going to see these global growth concerns if the u.s. at some point, but also i think it's a reflection of the strong u.s. jobs market as well. when you're a 50 year lows and the unemployment rate you feel that you have the confidence to go find a better higher paying job across the street you'll go out and spend and that's what they did. neil: the president touching on it, saying that if it weren't for the federal reserve, we'd be
7:49 am
looking at much stronger numbers there. i think seven hikes during his administration undid all of this , and it's on them, because now the trade situation certainly produced a lot of it, so you could argue that that is partly on him but where do you stand with this? >> well the trade situation we need to combat with the export down 5% for the quarter actually which is a meaningful number and that goes into a little bit to what the outlook is as we have two events happening this week with the fed announcement and trade talks picking up with china, and those two things are going to -- neil: which is more important to you? >> at this moment i think it's going to be the trade talks and the expectation of a rate cut has been priced in and the unexpected component that can move the needle is the trade. neil: but if the trade talks aren't promising wall street in its perverse way would soar on that, right on the belief we'll see even more cuts. >> i think what wall street wants is no bad news. neil: so do i.
7:50 am
and as does the consumer, but i think a couple of things, that one, the results for growth did beat expectations, but they did come in below what was needed to make sure that the tax cuts that we solved come in under the president didn't generate a deficit that is going to worry wall street and if that we're undercutting that was actually quite nerve racking. neil: you know, earnings, i guess you keep track of this better than i have been running ahead of expectations so it will be a quarter that will show contraction, that was the big fear. >> yeah, the way they are trend ing though oddly, last week , we were almost at zero, for 0% growth and then it plummetted down to negative 1% in the last two days. neil: is that right? >> so we could have pretty big misses. >> yeah, amazon. >> so, it went up and then went back down, but in the end, yes. i certainly expect that by the time, particularly after next week, when we get about 60% of the companies reporting, we should at least be in neutral, if not slightly positive
7:51 am
territory and be out of the fear of having a contraction. neil: well the president loves all of this because that is something that's going for me, you elect any of these democrats , all that ends. >> right. i mean, i think that this week, i think we shouldn't neglect the fact that there is this bizarre talk of devaluing and intervening into the currency markets on the u.s. dollar, that shocked a lot of people, because this is the u.s. dollar is a global reserve currency is used for everything, right? so they were talking about devaluing it by 10% on a real basis. neil: i think the argument was it would help our trade with other countries are doing it we might as well do it but it was -- >> if the system goes down 30% how could i go shopping in paris if that was the case, right? >> oh, no. >> on a favorable basis? neil: ladies thank you very much we have some other breaking news we are watching what's going on in hong kong. these crowds have been told to leave and they're not leaving. they are heading to the nations airport and chinese authorities have said it's time for you all
7:52 am
to go and here is the problem. they're not going, more after this. when you book at hilton.com, you get the price match guarantee. so if you find your room at a lower rate, hilton is like... we're gonna match that rate and give you an extra 25% off. what would travel sites do if you found a different price? that's not my problem, it's your problem.
7:53 am
book at hilton.com and get the hilton price match guarantee.
7:54 am
7:55 am
neil: all right, well even after the governor of puerto rico resigned this week, a lot of people still not happy particularly with his replacement choice, so the money problems still continue, the debt issue still continues and yeah the protests are going to still continue. fox is in the middle of all of that in san juan. hey, brian. reporter: hey, neil well look it took two weeks for the governor to finally resign and in that time businesses in old san juan kept wood on their businesses, to protect against clashes between protesters and police that happened right here and you can see some protesters still here. we spoke to a business owner who said over the last two weeks he's lost about 30% of sales sales and take a look at what he
7:56 am
said about how this effected his business. >> its been up and down. i mean, the cancellation of the cruise ships because of the protests, it definitely effected us. also, the negative publicity of people that might have wanted to come and visit that kept them away, in preparation for the protests, they would close the streets, and that effected the foot traffic. reporter: for two weeks, businesses cleaned up graffiti, every single morning after the night before, incredible and as for the cruise ships, five cruise ships canceled in and throughout this entire process at a cost of about of over $3 million for local businesses, in this area. neil, you mentioned protests still continuing. protests on thursday continued and they are asking for everybody associated with the administration to get out and so that's why they're continuing to go and so businesses here are weary about what could happen here as the uncertainty continues. neil?
7:57 am
neil: as are american tourists all right, brian thank you, great reporting my friend, in the middle of all of that we're also in the middle of what's happening in hong kong protester s told to leave and they're not. this could get dicey, after this e the invite here. as my broker, what am i paying you to manage my money? it's racquetball time. (thumps) ugh! carl, does your firm offer a satisfaction guarantee? like schwab does. guarantee? (splash) carl, can you remind me what you've invested my money in? ... lk to schwab. a modern approach to wealth management.
7:58 am
7:59 am
8:00 am
>> all right. that's the picture seen around the political world here. house speaker nancy pelosi called for a meeting with congresswoman alexandria ocasio-cortez and they were all smiles there. no issues to worry about from here on out. i don't know if that's the case, but obviously, that was the case they wanted to present, a united ahead of the big democratic presidential candidates debate coming up this week. let's get the read on this with mark meredith who is following all of this closely in washington. >> hey, neil, good afternoon or i should say good morning. the house is on the august recess. about of lawmakers left town, nancy pelosi met face-to-face with freshman alexandria
8:01 am
ocasio-cortez. both lawmakers exchanged jabs at each other in the past on media and the press. and differences are normal especially in the political arena. >> we had a good meeting and the congresswoman is a very gracious member of congress, so, we've had a very positive conversation about our districts and how we represent them, our country, and how we need to meet the needs. >> democrats are expected to talk more about the country's needs during this week's second presidential debate. last time the debate will be split to two nights and we'll see if this match will do anything to change up the leader board. the latest shows vice-president joe biden maintaining a double-digit lead see there at 33% report followed by bernie sanders and senators elizabeth
8:02 am
warren and kamala harris and south bend, indiana mayor pete buttigieg. during the first debate biden received a lot of attention after busing by senator harris. and fox news asked biden if he's ready for round two. >> what did you mean when you said you're not going to be as polite in the next debate? >> we'll see. >> biden said the time limits candidates face on the stage make it difficult to explain their positions and neil, we'll watch closely to see what happens this week. neil: thank you, mark, very much. mark meredith in washington. with us, we'll see, we've got fox nation's kat. and the pressure is on biden to be at least a little sharper than the last go round. >> it won't be hard for him to do. it won't be harder for him to be sharper. it was pretty bad.
8:03 am
neil: we'll see. >> whoever comes out of this, the nominee will have more difficult because of the way the democrats are attacking each other so much. people say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and that's not true, in pokemon and politics. neil: and donald trump emerged from that and won. >> i think that donald trump is a once in a generation figure. you love him, you hate him. whether he's '70's donald trump to your grandmother or '90s donald trump for your grandchild. he has that staying power. when you look at what's happening with the democrats, camera harris as a front run ser a creation of the media, right? i always tell that anybody who watches the debates, i watched the debate, i'm a nerd and-- >> kat said pokemon. neil: you're doubling down. >> i'm doubling down and here is the truth.
8:04 am
nobody who watched that in real-time. my goodness, this woman literally took him in the back and beat him to death with a two by four. that didn't happen, but the donors she needs are in his pocket. and the-- >> he's no slouch. >> she's not raising the money that buttigieg is raising and-- >> trump wasn't raising the money that jeb bush was raising. >> i forgot about him. >> he hear he loves pokemon. >> who doesn't? >> i don't know, i never played pokemon. what do i think? we spoke after the debates, i was one of those that that kamala harris went too far. going to the busing i a tack with the pre planned social media ready to go seemed calculated? >> but it worked? >> for ten seconds and you're
8:05 am
right with the media creation. and the candidate that has this is elizabeth warren took herself out of single digits, now in double digits. first or second place in iowa and new hampshire. neil: she leads the real progressive. >> there was a poll released that i found stunning, who the voters go to which candidate for their second choice and camera -- kamala harris and elizabeth warren are sharing voters, college women and above women, and joe biden is getting stronger with the debate. i imagine what happened in the deba debate-- >> wouldn't kamala harris get some of that. >> she's appealing to women like me than people she's trying to target. >> you have bernie sanders, achilles heel in politics, can't find a single black person to
8:06 am
vote for him. >> not one. neil: why is that? >> the hard truth is that you have somebody like camera harris who realistically is the only minority polling in the top five and she's killing him with african-american support in south carolina. neil: who? >> bernie sanders. neil: really? >> if you look at realistically at that poll, what is happening? the person who is trying to trot out like the front runner, oh, president trump doesn't want to talk about it because she's some type of sacred individual. no, the hard truth, she's not one of the frontrunners in the truest sense of the form. neil: he truly think that joe biden is the guy to watch and the constant sleepy joe. >> constant every time sleep ji joe. neil: you don't resonate unless you're starting-- >> the name calling. >> and he is what people are talking about in quiet rooms in the dark when no one is watching, this is a guy who
8:07 am
could win pennsylvania and ohio-- >> the only democrat beating him, beating him by eight points. neil: and in south carolina. >> it's super, super early. >> exactly. but the fundamentals are there when you're talking about moderates and independents. these are voters who are going to be turned off by a hyper liberal platform. neil: well, they're turned off by hyper, you know, impeachment talk, what do you think? >> i think so. i think that people want to know more how this candidate is going to improve their life. and it doesn't matter so much this impeachment. people are sick of it. i really think they are. i think they need to-- >> well, the candidate not part this have debate, was saying this week, people came into the watergate hearings in the summer of '73 also not convinced that they were going to go anywhere and they were a waste of time and that changes the hearing ensued. i know it's a little different, but you don't think it will register? >> i don't think that it will. and polls show that the majority don't want to impeachment.
8:08 am
and i think it would be such a distraction and could make president trump more likeable you'd go on and on about witch hunt, they're bullying me and harassing me, presidential harassment is what he's invented, spelled only in all calms and people will say, hey, we're looking at the economy and how good it's going. democrats need to focus on health care which republicans had the chance to take care of and bungled terribly. >> there's the argument he made that this is their constitutional duty to perform oversight and in jerry nadler press conference, a sly game, we've opened an impeachment hearing, but we're not calling it that and going about our business. neil: people are pretty smart. >> you can't. neil: rell realistically. >> common, you open formal impeachment hearings and-- >> look at the time that we have. we have an immovable senate and there's no way that lindsey graham is going to hear anything in an impeachment inquiry.
8:09 am
>> this is a total waste of time. >> i think that democrats wanted to have story time with bob mueller, that's what they wanted. they wanted this prime time event and somehow going to-- they didn't have it, and they're going to cede time to lavarre burton and all this have on c-span and it didn't happen. bob mueller says i'm not going to read from the report like you want me to. and that raised questions whether he raised the report. >> and that's the hard one-- this is with as a hail mary, white knight that america was looking for. and now here is the thing-- >> the senate will never vote for it. >> joe biden is leading the frontrunners, only 37% of registered democrats want impeachment, and those are the people supporting joe biden. i don't think that's a coincidence. i think when you're talking with aoc and talking about the squad, they are very much trying to lead to the future of the democratic party. neil: and also, keep pushing this because the alternative is talking about the economy that's
8:10 am
doing great, right? >> i'm not sure, we could spend a whole lot of time talking about health care and democrats are leading, our margins are huge who is back to handle health care and race relations in this country where the president is shooting himself in the foot continuously. neil: that's not what i asked you. the economy and all of that back drop. they don't talk much about that. >> they talk about an unequal system. >> every party out of power talk about if the recovery is strong. >> the thing it, that's the conversation that democrats are having. >> and go elizabeth warren's route and say there's going to be something bad happening soon and try to scare people and-- >> she predicted the first crash actually. she does know what she's talking about-- >> to preview the next one coming to scare people. >> donald trump said there were invasions, the caravans coming and banning muslim. neil: you don't think that's fear mongering. >> what i said. neil: no, that's common. but talking about elizabeth
8:11 am
warren? >> no, i think she's giving her honest analysis of what's going on there and i'm sure that donald trump does believe that you know, there are millions of people waiting to come and kill us, and all of that, but-- >> here is the truth. there were 6 million people who had no jobs when donald trump took office that have jobs now that are able to put food on their table and kamala harris wants to talk about, we're not talking about a food fight, talking food on the table. there are 6 million americans, families-- >> then donald trump should be running away with this thing and he's not. >> he shoots himself in the foot constantly. he loves fighting more than anything else. he likes to be in these contentions with other people. >> the hard truth say the democrats say any democrat can beat them. i talk to democrats all the time. look, if you want to say you can have any democrat you want and people are going to vote for them. i know, republicans will take it to the grave that they would vote for hillary clinton who will be first in the line to vote for donald trump. if you trop out somebody like bernie sanders, or like
8:12 am
elizabeth warren because the america say that what they're selling is an america that's unrecognizable. neil: all right. no pokemon references there. >> kat is the only one that who knows that. neil: the pokemon phenomenon. and north korea and iran testing missiles at the same time. we connect. you don't really tk about your insurance unless you're complaining about it. you go on about how... ...it's so confusing it hurts my brain. ya i hear ya... or say you can't believe... ...how much of a hassle it is! and tell anyone who'll listen... (garbled)....it's so expensive! she said it's so expensive. tell me about it. yes.. well i'm telling the people at home. that's why esurance is making the whole experience surprisingly painless. so, you never have to talk about it, unless you're their spokesperson. esurance. it's surprisingly painless. it's nice. ♪ you got this! ♪
8:13 am
woo! ♪ ♪ ♪
8:14 am
i used to book my hotel room on those traalways a catch.here was like somehow you wind up getting less. but now that i book at hilton.com, and i get all these great perks. i got to select my room from the floor plan...
8:15 am
very nice... i know, i'm good at picking stuff. free wi-fi... laptop by the pool is a bold choice... and the price match guarantee. how do you know all of this? are you like some magical hilton fairy? it's just here on the hilton app. just available to the public, so... book at hilton.com and get the hilton price match guarantee. if you find a lower rate, we match it and give you 25% off that stay. >> all right, i want to show you something, by the way, something that's going on in russia going on right now. i think we have video of this and the arrest of the number of protesters in moscow, they're upset about the fact that, you know, they're not allowed to seek alternative candidates for local council and other elections here. they were protesting in moscow and the supports say you better not continue with this. they are, many of them saying that you were not the authority here, we are. the journalists have been swept
8:16 am
up in police officers rushing in the crowd and arresting an unknown number that could possibly be run into the hundreds, authorities there much like in hong kong has told them, all right, these protests are done now. you've made your point. now they're arresting him. in hong kong, they haven't gotten to the stage and protests there that china says you, too, have made your point. stop it already. and this is at hong kong airport, the hong kong airport that the government practices there in the crackdown and on those who dare protest chinese rule are being sort of fingered by authorities there, and so far, not nearly the violence that we're seeing in moscow. but we are keeping an eye on it. a tale of two different cities under two crackdowns. then there's north korea and iran almost launching in the same 24 hours this week, a
8:17 am
variety of missiles, short range and medium range, a problem for washington and how we deal with it. former lt. colonel bob mcginnis and bob, what do you make of these launches on the part of both the countries? >> well, iran's effort is to keep up the campaign it began in may. it's really a campaign with going after ships seizing vessels in the strait of hormuz, attacking oil infrastructure and even attacking our troop locations in iraq. so, i think this will continue. what they want to send a very clear message. they want to say, look, we can reach out with the shabab three and touch riyadh. why riyadh? that's where we sent some of our reinforcements into the region. it can also, by the way, reach out and touch israel. so, i think that in addition
8:18 am
that this is about validating their missile capability and by the way, they were testing rockets this past week. more rockets on the ground. rocket engines for new capabilities. so, they're not backing down. it appears they're going to continue to push as hard as they can in spite of the fact that our strategy, and i don't think it's a coherent strategy, is about deterrents and keeping economic pressure on that. neil: colonel, while you have you here, in moscow, it's dicey where police arrested thus far, as we could show what's going on a little bit earlier here, it started out with citizens going to the streets and saying that they should be allowed to vote for opposition candidates in the moscow city council and those extra names were not allowed on ballots. and then one thing led to another and as we can see now, it's a massive protest there. this is a common, but not an
8:19 am
unfamiliar problem in russia. how do we respond? should we respond? >> well, i'm sure we'll put out a statement saying democracy ought to prevail, but the reality under vladimir putin and his government in moscow is that the police have a heavy hand. they'll continue to do that. the democracy we tried to plan at the end of the cold war, neil, has not blossomed into what we expected. it's not a jeffersonion republic there, it's something more like what the czars had and under vladimir lenin in the 20's. they're going back in that direction, a very disappointing outcome. neil: okay, colonel, i wanted to discuss this breaking news with you. thank you for your understanding of that. colonel bob mcginnis. we have a lot more on russia, whether it was the genesis of this entire probe, the probe that the president called a
8:20 am
witch hunt. when listening to bob mueller this week, he didn't seem familiar with that. what we are to make of that. and republican congressman andy biggs is worried about that. more after this. i can't believe it. that karl brought his karaoke machine? ♪ ain't nothing but a heartache... ♪ no, i can't believe how easy it was to save hundreds of dollars on my car insurance with geico. ♪ i never wanna hear you say... ♪ no, kevin... no, kevin! believe it! geico could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. who used expedia to book the vacation rental that led to the ride ♪ which took them to the place where they discovered that sometimes a little down time can lift you right up.
8:21 am
♪ flights, hotels, cars, activities, vacation rentals. expedia. everything you need to go.
8:22 am
expedia. mno kidding.rd. but moving your internet and tv? that's easy. easy?! easy? easy. because now xfinity lets you transfer your service online in just about a minute with a few simple steps. really? really. that was easy. yup. plus, with two-hour appointment windows, it's all on your schedule. awesome. now all you have to do is move...that thing. [ sigh ] introducing an easier way to move with xfinity. it's just another way we're working to make your life
8:23 am
simple, easy, awesome. go to xfinity.com/moving to get started. >> all right. the bob mule mueller hearings this week. what was disconcerting was mueller's performance itself. a lot of people wondering whether he genuinely did not know the origin of the report or t the-- all the things that entered our lexicon since it started or just not willing to answer the questions. it doesn't seem to matter. my next guest is worried that we might never get to the bottom of that. andy biggs, a member of the house judiciary committee. thank you for taking the time. >> thanks, neil.
8:24 am
good to be with you. >> i'd be curious of your impression of mueller and your performance. it unsettled a lot of folks, all admirers of his that something is wrong? >> i was -- i thought he was surprisingly lethargic. i thought he didn't know his report. i thought that he was unprepped and since we gave him an extra week to prepare i thought we'd get some-- i thought he was going to be really sharp, ready to go, and perhaps be a little bit fiery and lively because he was defending his report. i thought that's what would happen. neil: he didn't want to do this and maybe now we know why. he was not a fan of doing this, democrats push him to do it. your big issue with him concerns the genesis of the report or what prompted it in the first place and you know, he didn't seem to know anything about the steele dossier or didn't know the details of the issue period. that raises other questions. well, who did then?
8:25 am
>> that's exactly right. when he said-- this was one of the most stunning things he said. he said a lot of stunning things. when he said he didn't know what fusion gps was, i thought, wait a second, this is part of the genesis. when he refused to talk about mittsfa. he didn't seem to know the shadowing diplomate was meeting wi with papadopoulos and this is part of what triggered it with the carter page warrants to try on the trump campaign, you've got to be kidding me. who was running this? it doesn't seem like mueller was running the investigation. i don't know what you thought, but i thought, is he telling-- he said he didn't hire these guys either. i thought was weisman running this investigation? was it rod rosenstein who he was supposed to report to. neil: wiseman, was sitting next to him. i'm wondering why, he was mic'd
8:26 am
in the first hearing to be questioned, just in case and not at all in the house intelligence committee hearing. who made the decision we will not talk to him? >> the reality is, it was unprecedented for his-- for mueller's attorney to be sitting next to him. so-- >> if he really wanted, quickly conclude the questioning, you quickly realize that mueller was not going to get to the bottom of some of the stuff you want to get to the bottom. all right, i'll talk to the guy next to you. >> the problem was zebly wasn't sworn in as a witness in retrospect should he have been? has anybody talked about getting him back? he seems to know maybe more than mueller himself? >> well, he may have known more than mueller, but, i mean, i tried to make contact with him more than once and he seemed to be looking down as well. neil: where is this going, congressman? where do you think this goes now?
8:27 am
obviously, you heard that jerry nadler, the judiciary chief is talking about getting grand jury evidence that was in that mueller report, kind of a leap to think that, but he just might, and talked about using the judge to get that path, like in watergate against richard nixon. where does it go? >> this is an impeachment inquiry and that's what they've been trying to do. they're going to try to impeach them. don't be surprised if you see a renewal of impeachment after the break and i think democrats will go home and talk to the most radical base who say they want to impeach and they'll come back and throw it on the floor again. i don't think they'll get more than 25% of the entire body to vote for ichl impeachment. and they are he trying to get his tax returns to show that he's not the guy that he is.
8:28 am
and it's basically based on hatred of this president. they still can't get over the 2016 defeat and they're going to stay out there and keep beating that drum through the 2020 election. neil: if they drop it, do you, republicans, similarly drop what was the origin of this report? >> no, i don't, and i tell you why. i think we're talking about the rule of law here. one they think i know for certain is that this all started because hillary clinton and the dnc were paying christopher steele, who was working with the russians, to come up with basically totally fabricated evidence to spy on a political opponent. at the same time, they're receiving tons of money. when i say tons, i mean tens of millions of dollars from foreign governments into those two campaigns. and that is-- that can't stand. so when i say this, i really mean this, the democrats have projected all along what they were doing on the trump campaign and that did not happen in the trump campaign, but it happened
8:29 am
in their campaign. neil: all right, congressman, we'll watch closely. thank you for taking the time. and andy biggs of arizona sits on the house judiciary committee among others. we're also keeping track on what many determine is a double win for the president yesterday. within hours of getting that asylum deal with guatemala and suddenly out of nowhere, a victory in the united states supreme court that he can go ahead and use military funds to build that wall after this. with all that usaa offers why go with anybody else? we know their rates are good, we know that they're always going to take care of us. it was an instant savings and i should have changed a long time ago. we're the tenney's and we're usaa members for life. call usaa to start saving on insurance today. for great deals during our archery gear up sale. all the latest gear from archery's top brands. and huge savings so you can stock up for the season. bass pro shops and cabela's. your adventure starts here.
8:30 am
8:31 am
8:32 am
8:33 am
>> all right. it was a good day on the immigration issue for the president of the united states. a double win first of all getting the commitment from guatemala to deal with migrants in guatemala before they get close to the u.s. border. and secondly, the supreme court voting in favor of the president's plan to go ahead and use military funds for the purpose of building a wall. it is also straight and simple, but deemed to be a good day for the president. on the border front in tucson, arizona we've got roy villareal. thank you for taking the time. >> good morning. neil: what would it mean first of all on the guatemala front what they're doing. because with the president threatening some action on, you know, everything from trade to, you know, tourist season and the like, and got them to make concessions. that seemed to be very important because obviously, what the president is trying to do is to
8:34 am
stop that exodus of migrants who end up right at the u.s. border, you know, hundreds, if indeed, more than a thousand miles further south. what do you think of that? >> well, when you look at this from the perspective of, it's a comprehensive effort and we certainly appreciate the support from mexico and in this case, guatemala. any aspect that can be put into play to stem illegal migration is beneficial for us. i think it's going to have a tremendous impact and we've sort of witnessed that already with the government of mexico increasing its efforts along the southern border and northern border for the month of june, a 28% reduction in the flow of illegal migration as compared to last month. the combination of guatemala and mexico making efforts to stem this tide is going to be beneficial. neil: you know, it's interesting. thursday of this week, you probably know that the house democratic leaders essentially gave up on immigration reform issues of their own, arguing that they needed more time to essentially get their act
8:35 am
together on this, but some read into that, not handing the president a political win. what do you think? >> the aspect as it relates to our elected officials is, we certainly need the support. we've garnered that with the appropriations bill recently, that helped with the humanitarian crisis and enabled us to move family units and more importantly children out of their care into hhs. any effort that they can make towards improving border security is appreciated by us. >> so they didn't, they didn't do that and they're going to obviously leave this maybe after this summer recess or talking after labor day at the soonest. that's probably unlikely, so it seems like the only efforts that you guys are left with is what mexico is doing now, what guatemala is doing and it has dramatically cut down the number of migrants making their way to the u.s. border, but that seems to be it for the time being? >> thus far, external help has
8:36 am
been probably the greatest benefit we've had. i mean, we are hopeful that our elected officials are recognizing-- they've come to the point that i think they recognize we have a crisis on the border, both from the humanitarian aspect and-- >> they're not doing anything about it. they might say it's a crisis, but a measure that was seriously considered and looked like it was going to be put up for a vote is suddenly sheffield -- shelved on thursday, that kind of reeks of politics. >> the unfortunately part for border patrol, we're apolitical. we do with or without support our ultimate goal is to control the border. neil: i know you try to be beyond politics on this, many of your men and women say we kind of need the president and congress to work in concert on this issue and anything they come up with will be better than what we're dealing with right
8:37 am
now and now you're dealing with just guatemala and mexico, i guess doing their darnedest to reduce the numbers and to a point they have. it's got to be frustrating for you. >> neil, at the end of the day when we look at the situation, whether it's through external help with foreign governments or with our elected officials, in the aspiration is, and what's developed over the last few months is a realization that our immigration system is broken. does it need to be revamped? absolutely. the key factor here is that the men and women of the u.s. border patrol, we're not going to shy away from our duties. every day our goal is to secure the border. the last thing we want is illicit or harmful action to take place as a result of our inability to do the job. when we look at what's happening. aspirations that our elected officials will cooperate and help us develop a better system, an immigration system and then also, remain focused on border
8:38 am
security, which, you know, in this case you're speaking about border wall. border walls work. it's been effective. we've proven that time and time again. when you incorporate border wall, technology, infrastructure and manpower, it's a winning combination. neil: so the supreme court victory for the president. it's a winning combination for you. >> certainly. it's going to enable us to continue to continue building ball. building wall is critical to securing the border. one of the aspects when i look at tucson specifically. i've got about 141 miles of vehicle barrier. for the viewer out there vehicle barrier when you're driving down the freeway it's akin to a guardrail. it doesn't impede people from crossing the border, it's designed to stop vehicles. this funding will enable us to put up pedestrian barrier and what that does, it enables us to focus the illicit flow into areas strategically beneficial to us. in other cases it's going to stem the illicit flow of
8:39 am
migration. one of the anomalies we're seeing, large groups are dropped off in desolate areas. it's problematic for us to make the arrest, problematic for us to remove them from the dangerous environment. with the ability to move forward with the wall we will be able to shut that down. neil: we appreciate your job and your hard work. the chief border patrol agent out of tucson, arizona. a lot more on that and also a lot more on the protests in hong kong. i believe this is the eighth straight weekend that we've seen this. the chinese are kind of trying to hold their fire on this because these images are being shown the world over, but there is a limit to their patience. the guy literally wrote the book on the subject said that limit is just about where we're at.
8:40 am
whooo! want to take your next vacation to new heights? tripadvisor now lets you book over a hundred thousand tours, attractions, and experiences in destinations around the world! like new york!
8:41 am
from bus tours, to breathtaking adventures, tripadvisor makes it easy to find and book amazing things to do. and you can cancel most bookings up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund. so you can make your next trip... monumental! read reviews check hotel prices book things to do tripadvisor
8:42 am
>> all right. this is the scene earlier today in hong kong. police there spraying tear gas
8:43 am
at protesters and again today, those protesters remained in defiance, they've been told to cool it. they're not cooling it. they hit the nation's airport for those travelling in and out of the region that this is all going on. it's been much more peaceful sin since. and the guy literally wrote the book on this and many, many years ago, gordon chang. i think this eighth straight weekend of this sort of stuff, eighth straight week, what's going on? >> well, i think in hong kong right now, this started over a particular piece of legislation, the extradition bill and now it's going beyond that and going to the whole issue of universal suffrage and freedom and some people are talking about independence from china. so the conversation has really moved away from beijing. and neil, you were showing the images of russia before. this is an issue of contagion. you know, i don't know whether the people in russia were
8:44 am
inspired by folks in hong kong, but i can tell you that the leaders in beijing are worried about hong kong protesters inspiring those in mainland china itself. neil: and i think if we still have this stuff earlier today of what was going on in russia and moscow, you're given a slate of candidates and that's it. you look at the slate of candidates and check them off, but they wanted opposition candidates or other candidates to be on the same ballot so they started protesting in moscow and moscow was demanding that they cease and desist. they didn't and hundreds have been arrested and yet, the protests continue. that's russia's way of responding. what will china's way of responding be? >> i think that china will allow this to continue until they see protests in mainland china itself. they know that people in china don't sympathize with hong kong protesters. neil: do they know this is going on in china? >> they do now, neil. although china tried hard to
8:45 am
sensor the news of the hong kong protests, this last weekend they changed. when hong kong protesters were throwing black paint at the symbol and-- and even the protesters hurt their pr with getting sympathetic support in china. >> they're not too worried about that. they're trying to influence chinese public opinion which is why they're in the arrivals hall of the airport. neil: is that right? >> they're trying to get chinese tourists as they come out and-- >> that would be for many of the tourists the first exposure to this. >> the first exposure and hong kong protesters did the same thing at a rail station where chinese tourists come in and they've been using the air drop app to get at chinese tourists. neil: is that right? that's pretty technologically advanced? >> these guys are very smart. neil: if you're looking at this, you're the president and you have your team in place this
8:46 am
week for the trade talks. does this have any effect? >> imagine it must. because there are so many human rights issues now in china and i'm sure that people like the treasure secretaries don't want the tibetans or uighurs with the trade talks, we can't give up the conversation on human rights and that makes it more difficult to come to a trade deal because there are a lot of constituencies in the u.s. who say how come we have a trade deal with these guys, too bad. neil: could we be looking at a different tiananmen square? it's a different china than 30 years ago today, and at their core they want to protect china.
8:47 am
there's a point you can push that too far? basically beijing doesn't want to move the troops in because hong kong is not good armored car territory. it would be a debacle for the people's liberation army. neil: but all bets are off? >> all bets off because if the communist party feels its survival is at stake, it's a different story. and there are stories that chinese police officers, and army officers and others in the ranks of the hong kong police and hong kong police uniforms. because some of the hong kong police now can't speak cantonese in a cantonese speaking city and can't produce their hong kong identification card so there's a feeling that beijing has moved some of its troops in the hong kong police in hong kong police uniforms. neil: wow. all right. gordon, we'll watch closely. again, i say this all the time, but he was ahead of the curve and that's why we keep having him back, he was saying it when no one was saying it and no one
8:48 am
was worrying about it. in the meantime, the fallout for the trade talks we were touching on here, they resumed this week in china. how likely are they to develop into something is this the markets are kind of on tint tinterhooks waiting for a deal. and if they lower interest rates and start that cycle maybe as soon as next week. after this. what if my retirement plan is i don't want to retire? then let's not create a retirement plan. let's create a plan for what's next. i like that. get a plan that's right for you. td ameritrade. ♪ i get to select my room from the floor plan... when i book at hilton.com free wi-fi... ...and the price match guarantee. so with hilton there is no catch. yeah the only catch is i'm never leaving. no i'm serious, i live here now. book at hilton.com and get the hilton price match guarantee.
8:49 am
let's cowboy up! exhilarating speed. woo! precision control. woo! maximum reliability. access denied. [ repeats ] access denied. if it's not xfinity xfi, it's not good enough. for wifi with super powers, get xfinity xfi. and go see, fast & furious presents, hobbs & shaw.
8:50 am
august 2. the mucma fest! of summer... country music's biggest stars perform their hottest hits. and the first time ever. lil nas x, billy ray cyrus and keith urban perform the hit "old town road." cma fest! sunday august 4th, on abc. and after the show check out a special encore performance of brett young's song, "catch." available only on xfinity. just say "brett young" into your x1 voice remote.
8:51 am
>> i don't think personally china would sign a deal if i had a 2% chance of losing the election, i think that china would say let's wait, let's wait because maybe we could deal with another stiff. neil: maybe sleepy joe.
8:52 am
and wait to see what happens with the election and the president arguing that he can wait, too. and the markets seem to be in a position, aaron that we can deal with this. because if we don't get a deal soon, rates come down and if we get a deal, great, we get a deal. what do you think? >> part of that, i think, also, companies have already been very good at shifting supply chains and getting what they can out of china into other areas and going ahead and moving business, but certainly, the impact could have a big negative effect further on in third and fourth quarter when consumers aren't willing to necessarily pay those higher prices. neil: i'm glad you mentioned that because consumers do. and the president-- maybe i suspect he knows better, but that individuals pay this, not the government. but i do want to make that point and give you a definition, that just so we're very clear on
8:53 am
tariffs and what they are, you're a never-trumper, blah, blah, blah. and the tariffs are a tax on imports and to the u.s. customs for they import to the u.s. and the costs of to the customers, consumers in the united states by raising prices. simple as that, i want to be very clear. those same entities can absorb a lot of the costs. >> right. neil: we're still at the point where not everything is being affected right now and that's the reality and when that lingers and stays for americans, that might be a totally different reaction? >> i love your definition, it's very academic. companies pay those tariffs and they can decide how much of those tariffs they pass on to the consumer. i just saw with the respect gps numbers, it hasn't hurt the consumers, inflation is nascent. if we're passing on price increases we haven't seen that in the inflation numbers. and june is the first month
8:54 am
they've felt higher tariffs and their imports and exports dropped. i would say the consumer isn't hurt itself and with the earnings we've seen companies aren't being hurt either. >> what you really have to look at is your operating margins. you may still be making profits and revenues and you won't be making-- >> they're convinced they can absorb this, that it will be a short pinch and the latest wave, the price points have not been hit until the goods are here. and your thoughts on it? >> two i think so this, is the consumer having an impact? and is the consumer feeling it? there are two slightly different things. >> mber that came out last week, and consumers eating $400 a year as a result of the cost of the tariffs. they're feeling something. and noticed it-- >> at what point what they? that's the big question. >> and lower oil prices you're not paying as much at the pump,
8:55 am
but maybe more with cocoa beans or-- >> thanks to lower interest rates, they're feeling it in their pocket as well. especially when paying the mortgages as expected next week. >> all right, if you're these american companies that deal in china and all and they're trying to betwixt and between looking at what they can pass along and how much they can't. is it your sense they're hoping they will have alternatives, some of you pointed out, go to other places, vietnam, mexico. is that the punishment they're feeling now? >> and whether it's the mexico or-- where they're moving supply chains to, it's not just about the u.s. position with respect to china, but other nations that
8:56 am
we source from as well. and i think there's a question mark there. there's volatility there. >> it's very hard as a corporation when you're trying to plan over the next year, do we move our plant from china to korea, south korea and then get hit with tariffs in south korea? it's expensive to change your supply chains. there's costs. neil: to your point if the markets are worried about it, they have a funny way of showing it. it's not happening. >> ultimately they're helding still. nobody is making big changes. >> it's balancing out. >> do you think that continues? >> oh, yeah, you mean in terms of the rate cutting cycle? i think after the second quarter gdp we're definitely going next week, but two or three for the year. it's questionable. maybe two if we see it. >> so the consensus, a quarter point cut this week and then after that, another one or holding steady? >> i think it's holding steady. what larry kudlow said this week, he said two things, there's unlikely to be a deal coming out tomorrow and there should be a 75 base sits point
8:57 am
cut. neil: that's what he wants. >> that's what he wants. neil: ladies, thank you all very, very much. we'll monitor that on fox business, ahead of the talks, if you don't get fox business you should demand it. and you know that already. fox continues. fisher calls regularly so you stay informed. and while some advisors are happy to earn commissions whether you do well or not. fisher investments fees are structured so we do better when you do better. maybe that's why most of our clients come from other money managers. fisher investments. clearly better money management.
8:58 am
8:59 am
who used expedia to book the vacation rental which led to the discovery that sometimes a little down time can lift you right up. expedia. everything you need to go.
9:00 am
>> the supreme court giving president trump's plans to build a wall, a victory. a ruling that the administration can use 2.5 billion in defense funding for the project. a lot of folks talking about this on saturday here in washington. welcome to america's news headquarters from washington, i'm leland vittert. boy, it's good to have you here. is this normally your bedtime? >> yes, not on saturday. i try-- it's good to be with you here. the supreme court

58 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on