Skip to main content

tv   Cavuto Live  FOX News  September 28, 2019 7:00am-9:00am PDT

7:00 am
>> we had a great time at the first fox nation summit. fox nation has more awards from florida. go to foxnation.com/patriotawards for more information. carley: lawmakers may be out of town but that is not stopping the impeachment fight from revenue. i want you to meet the democratic congressman who wishes others in his party would just slow down. you will hear from whitewater prosecutor kenneth starr who says they may suffer the same fate as democrats in 1999 if they don't slow down. subpoenas, top administration officials are dropping fast and
7:01 am
furious. republican senator tim scott worrying? should investors be fretting? tracy carrasco is doing some fretting. garrett tenney in washington, the battle is just getting started. the president is swearing he won't be stopped leaving him with garrett. >> >> on friday house democrats have issued subpoenas for secretary of state mike pompeo demanding a long list of documents related to the phone call with ukraine at leader and suspension of military aid ahead of a. the heads of three house intelligence committees and oversight are seeking records on the personal attorney rudy giuliani. in a letter to mike pompeo, your failure or refusal to comply will constitute evidence of obstruction of the house
7:02 am
impeachment inquiry. house democrats scheduled depositions with 5 state department officials four of whom are named in the was a lower complaint including kurt volcker, the us envoy for ukraine who resigned on friday, he set up a meeting between giuliani and a top adviser to ukraine's president. on friday nancy pelosi said there is no deadline for the impeachment probe but it will move expeditiously. >> this is not a cause for any joy that we have to go down this path. it is difficult decision to make. but we have that obligation. >> reporter: adam schiff was very clear that these subpoenas are just the first of many to come and more will be issued next week. also the intelligence community inspector general who found the whistleblower complaint credible despite finding evidence of political bias against donald trump is scheduled to testify in a closed-door hearing friday.
7:03 am
>> someone who knows how this works out, the push to impeach is at stake. it might come back to bite the party pushing it. always good to see you. why do you say that? >> i say that because impeachment is doomed to fail given what we know. the facts are flowing in. in the history of the country, obviously presidential efforts to impeach do not work. but guess what, of the 62 impeachment proceedings eight have resulted in convictions. this will result in a conviction, why we on the impeachment train, we should be on the oversight train and quick calling it impeachment since there is something profoundly wrong under the
7:04 am
constitution to call it impeachment that we are on a formal impeachment inquiry. with all due respect until the house of representatives votes as a body to conduct an impeachment inquiry or investigation, there is action by committees sanctions by the speaker so sounds like a structural point but we live by structure in the constitutional republic. neil: how do they proceed to that next step? they are leaving it to the judiciary committee to get involved. what would change doing it the way you said? >> there would be a formal action by the house resulting if there is any court fight, a federal judge or court of appeal or the supreme court does, this is the action of the peoples house, not of the speaker saying i hereby smile
7:05 am
on what oversight committees are doing. it would have the practical effect of centralizing the inquiry as opposed to the balkanized approach that is getting underway in the house judiciary committee as we saw in the clinton inquiry years ago. neil: a lot of democrats point out when the next hearing started, it was 7 out of 10 said it was a waste of time, a party, all piling on richard nixon, there were revelations, discovery the -- you know that history better than i. the tide turned and that is what democrats seem to be counting on this go around. >> that is right beside turned when it became clear that there were white house tapes as you said and that was not revealed by the house judiciary committee but an oversight committee.
7:06 am
neil: somebody just blurted it out. >> the course of a deposition as it came to be known. we now know the basic fact or at least we think we know the basic facts. the president released the transcript, the interpretation of that conversation the president had -- >> anything in the transcript the troubles you? forget about it being impeachable are not, kind of trying to get out of another foreign leader, essentially dirt on a potential opponent in the next election. i don't know if that warrants subpoena or not. i told you i was on a lot of legal shows. what do you make of that? is that something that bothers you? >> i think what the president said, he used a word that was very very long, reciprocity.
7:07 am
we need reciprocity. that is not a crime. it is poor judgment by the president. he should not have done that. he's making the tie and i don't think it is a crime. it is a better view and people say that is a crime. it is not. even if it is, the clinton investigation and impeachment tells you can be guilty of perjury, you can be guilty of obstruction of justice. there is no obstruction of justice and we are not going to remove this individual from office. the president has taken action the reflected instinct and sometimes his instincts get him into trouble. i was troubled by that. when you look at i studied the transcript very briefly, the transcript is about this is great, we are working toward honest government and collaborating and here is
7:08 am
something that is very unfortunate in the revelation of this. that is lots of criticism by both of these leaders, angela merkel by name, emmanuel macron by name, these are conversations -- neil: that is collateral damage. always good having you. thanks for coming in on a saturday. the president is defending that communication with all foreign leaders and asking if there are spies in the white house. mark meredith is in the white house this morning. >> reporter: donald trump continues to claim nothing improper happened when he had that call in july but the president is also making it clear he's not thrilled the conversation, details of those conversations were shared between government intelligence employees.
7:09 am
>> the whistleblower, the information. you know what we used to do in the old days when we were smart? we used to handle them differently than we do now. >> reporter: the white house is after donald trump took office it was concerned too much information were leaking out. this came after details of private conversations with former leaders of australia and mexico leaked to the press. the was a blower alleged the white house was trying to lock down the contents of a with ukraine and national security official told fox news securing conversations is common at the white house. >> when i handled transcript of presidential phone calls, we put the transcript into a very secure top secret code word system. i don't see a difference from what the alleged whistleblower is claiming. i don't think there was a change. >> reporter: donald trump has been talking about this on
7:10 am
twitter and using a phrase we heard him use over and over during the robert mueller investigation and that was simply presidential harassment. neil: thank you very much. democratic committee chair jerry never wants william barr to recuse himself from the ukraine problems but not before he hands over all related documents. would that be a mistake? former republican house judiciary chairman bob goodlatte on that. >> i like working. let's create a plan for what's next. i like that. get a plan that's right for you. td ameritrade. ♪
7:11 am
7:12 am
let's blow out the candles together! ok, let's huff and puff. like you do sometimes, grandpa? well, when you have copd, it can be hard to breathe. so my doctor said... symbicort can help you breathe better- starting within 5 minutes. it doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. symbicort helps provide significant improvement of your lung function. symbicort is for copd, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. it may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. symbicort could mean a day with better breathing. watch out, piggies! ask your doctor if symbicort is right for you. if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help.
7:13 am
if ythand find inspiration mediwho win new places.ct... leading them to discover: we're woven together by the moments we share. everything you need, all in one place. expedia. >> everyone tells me that guy is so good. the markets are not too shaken up. tracy carrasco looks into that.
7:14 am
>> we saw us stocks falling after the release of that whistleblower complaint fueling the impeachment push against donald trump. here's how the political stories impacted wall street. on may 17, 2017, not only in the employment of robert mueller's a special counsel could stop the run on wall street, the doris 25% higher in 2017 making it the best year since 2013 but that was in large part due to sweeping tax cuts. former fbi director james comey testified, the dow jumped to an all-time high that afternoon toward the end of that highly anticipated hearing. then there is robert mueller's testimony on july 24th of this year. stocks once again fell but it was for other reasons, disappointing earnings.
7:15 am
looking back at history, bill clinton's impeachment did not hurt the stock market from what the house voted to start impeachment proceedings on october 8, 1998, to the senate acquittal on february 12, 1999. the s&p 500 climbed 128% but that may not be the case this time around at least according to the president. the president tweeted his prediction, if they did this the markets would crash. do you think it was luck, the best stock market and economy in our history? it wasn't. the bigger question, are investors focused on the political headlines, drama in washington dc or trade deal with china? neil: a great report. is the president's warning true, go after me and kiss this market goodbye? ted was there for andrew johnson. >> very good to see you.
7:16 am
neil: what do you think of what the president says? go after me it is all over? >> we have learned you can't talk markets down or up. there is no question if the impeachment proceedings go to a conclusion where he is impeached it will create a lot of political theater and it will create a lot of uncertainty. neil: markets don't like uncertainty. >> uncertainty equals volatility but at the end of the day it is about the fundamentals. the economy and that is relatively good. there is a relatively positive backdrop to this. we have to deal with political theater in the short term and get some weakness. crash is a strong word. neil: i think the backdrop does matter.
7:17 am
it didn't help matters that when richard nixon when they were targeting him, you had the oil embargo, the market careening, 20 years later you did the opposite environment. nixon had to resign. bill clinton dodged it in the senate. does that make a difference? with the economy doing as well as it is, this president has that going for him. >> i think he actually does. we are within a few percentage points of all-time highs, with all the negative rhetoric, this is a market that has been climbing for a long time. the 800 pound gorilla in the room is still the fed, the economy and you have to add tariffs and if he could pull a
7:18 am
rabbit out of the hat in china and it remains to be seen that is a game changer as far as the stock market. neil: he says it is all reason and that is the reason why. >> the stock market is bigger than donald trump. neil: you are going to get some nasty tweets. all kidding aside. you mentioned the china thing. those are all issues because we see how the market responds on the trade front. >> that is the whole impeachment process. it is disturbing and unfortunate the country has to go through this and we have to deal with it but it seems to be on rails here and who knows what will take it off those rails but at the end of the day no matter what happens it will be about corporate earnings in the us economy and these will drive stock prices and at the moment the backdrop is positive. neil: what is great about you, you are a good student of
7:19 am
history and remind me again about what we expect versus what we think will happen and i remember when the hearings started, 7 of 10 americans said it was a waste of time. we know what later happened. our people getting too cavalier? this is going nowhere? >> the chances of him actually being impeached are very slim. it is possible of course, but i think the public has learned to separate themselves from this political theater which is very disturbing and a whole negative bias and the reality of living our daily lives. the fact is the us economy is in great shape, unemployment numbers at record lows for every segment of our economy. wages are going up. the feel-good factor is there. public confidence is good. we will get distracted by this
7:20 am
but at the end of the day these are short-term distractions. the bigger picture is a positive us economy. neil: you are kind of wrong because we have packages with ominous impeachment stuff. good seeing you. ted mentioned expectations are one thing. where it all goes quite another. what changed with the richard nixon stuff was republicans turned on a republican president. are we closer to that happening? the read from the man who used to have the gavel on the judiciary committee before jerry nadler. hilton instead ofl site and you'll experience a whole new range of emotions like... the relaxing feeling of knowing you're getting the best price. these'll work. the utter delight of free wi-fi... . oh man this is the best part. isn't that you? yeah. and the magic power of unlocking your room with your phone. i can read minds too. really? book at hilton.com. if you find a lower rate,
7:21 am
we match it and give you 25% off that stay. expect better. expect hilton.
7:22 am
7:23 am
here, hello! starts with -hi!mple... how can i help? a data plan for everyone. everyone? everyone. let's send to everyone! [ camera clicking ] wifi up there? -ahhh. sure, why not? how'd he get out?! a camera might figure it out. that was easy! glad i could help. at xfinity, we're here to make life simple. easy. awesome. so come ask, shop, discover at your xfinity store today. neil: the democratic chairman
7:24 am
of the house judiciary committee leading this charge, jerry never talking about documents, attorney general william barr urging him to recuse himself, a fast-moving mess for the president. so far republicans are not impressed with the needless cub all but as we discussed with teddy weisberg in the 1970s, among republicans when they said democrats were needlessly chasing down richard nixon. that was then, the same thing could be unfolding now. next guest says it is not likely. bob goodlatte, former chairman of the house judiciary committee. good to have you. >> thank you, great to be with you. neil: let me ask you what teddy weisberg was telling me. what would change this is if members of the same party, republicans start getting antsy. i noticed among republicans with the exception of mitt
7:25 am
romney, maybe susan collins, you are not hearing a lot of that. do you suspect that to remain the case? >> i do right now. the fact of the matter is the impeachment process, to be successful, needs four things. first of all it needs to be fair and with an orderly process. in 1974 with the watergate impeachment by the democratic congress of richard nixon they were scrupulously fair and they went to the house of representatives as a whole and got approval to proceed before they issued subpoenas related to and impeachment because chairman rodino at the time said we don't have this authority under the rules without the house passing that resolution and democrats have shown no signs of that kind of fairness nor have they shown any sign they are going to give
7:26 am
the president's counsel the kind of access to cross-examine witnesses to testify before the committee. looks like they will only accept a letter from the president's counsel after the fact. these things persist, the appearance is going to be this is indeed a kangaroo court where they are trying to railroad this process and move it expeditiously and not a cause i judicial proceeding where the party and the public is being treated fairly. secondly as you know, it needs to be bipartisan and i see no sign of bipartisanship in this case and that starts with the majority treating the minority fairly in the process. neil: unless there are revelations. we don't have new ones at this point. i want to be clear, the committee has not subpoenaed william barr, but the secretary of state -- this is the first
7:27 am
of many such subpoenas. where do you see in the interim this going? >> i don't see it going very far except for this fact. chairman nadler and others in the house on the democratic side are under extreme pressure from the extreme left of their party who hate the president and want to see him impeached at any cost. there is a strong temptation in the house on the democratic side to cobble together the votes to kick this to the united states senate so they can wash their hands of it until their supporters that is what they have done but i think the public reaction to that is going to be very negative. it is already very low. there is a clear majority of the public who do not want to see this president impeached and this kind of behavior on the part of the democrats will
7:28 am
only lesson that. finally, and again you point to the need to see the facts, they have to have serious criminal offenses. you can impeach a president for any reason or no reason at all, but to be successful and have public acceptance you are going to have to show serious criminal offenses and i don't think they have shown that in any case and they bet everything on the mueller reported that turned out to be a total bust. neil: having said all of that, the tone and language the president used and if you get information on joe biden do you think that was appropriate? a number of republicans on the show, they didn't call it impeach double but unsettling. >> wouldn't be the way i would handle it. it is not a crime because the
7:29 am
president is asking for information the country as a whole and millions of americans would also be interested in. which is was there a crime committed by the former vice president while he was in office. neil: a potential opponent, asking a foreign power to interfere in another us election. >> presidents and other officeholders ask lots of questions and seek lots of help from people to the detriment of their opponents. that is not something that is unusual in american politics at all. neil: thanks for taking the time. in the meantime, think this is a pain for this president? what about the guy who wants to be president but no one is talking about? how this holds out for joe? hmmm? because schwab makes planning for things like this easier. yeah, with schwab we get automated investing and integrated planning help.
7:30 am
for a low monthly subscription price. why would schwab do that? they help you plan for the things that matter. subscription pricing... ...schwab! introducing subscription pricing with one-on-one guidance. schwab intelligent portfolios premium, a modern approach to wealth management.
7:31 am
7:32 am
the way you triumph over adversity. and live your lives. that's why we redesigned humira. we wanted to make the experience better for you. now there's less pain immediately following injection. we've reduced the size of the needle and removed the citrate buffers. and it has the same effectiveness you know and trust. humira citrate-free is here. a little change can make a big difference. humira can lower your ability to fight infections. serious and sometimes fatal infections, including tuberculosis, and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure.
7:33 am
tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. ask your doctor about humira citrate-free. here's to you. >> this kid was paid $600,000 because his name is biden by have gas company in ukraine, a super corrupt country that is the revolution to get rid of corruption. it looks bad. republicans are geniuses with money. it is all going to be about you do this in ukraine, joe biden did this. neil: bill marr admitting the biden ties to ukraine could complicate things for democrats and if it were reversed and donald trump junior had similar ties we would be all over it.
7:34 am
political heat has ensued. kathy, as our left of center, extreme left of center, kind of, is he right? >> yes. i think he is. i interviewed one of my sources. i have it here, a true professional. it throws him off message. the messaging was supposed to be his plans for the future that reveal what is going to do for the economy and our country, now he's defending himself on the topic none of us knew about or understood. we didn't know about ukraine and his son. >> he was exonerated. it was a term -- came and went, did little research.
7:35 am
do my homework. it wasn't exhaustively looked into because by the time people were searching around, hard to do much research. >> this has shown light on a topic that was not thoroughly researched and brought it into the forefront, bad timing for joe biden, great timing for elizabeth warren and great timing -- neil: you don't even have to mention it. >> when you have mainstream media and hbo's bill maher making fun of it and he calls it like he sees it. neil: it is not what many in the mainstream media says. to begin impeachment proceedings they drag on. do not control that narrative and that is when it gets that way. >> the message for republicans is simple, democrats decided to
7:36 am
impeach the president-based on the transcript they haven't ridden the media clear joe biden based on an investigation that never happened. looking at it from that perspective, democrats trying to get americans to read between the lines of public they have no interest in reading. neil: are you conservative, concerned about the language used here? to say and mention your opponent, like joe biden, to get information on him involving a foreign power exerting itself on another us election, on any level, does that bother you? >> it bothers me. you see unanimity with republicans they want to see the transcript. neil: democrats even if it is not impeachable that coming out will embarrass him and that is what they are asking? >> democrats are trying to
7:37 am
litigate 2020, pure and simple. democrats have not accepted it is not what you know but what you can prove. when it comes to the american people, the people with 10 minutes before their spouse comes crashing through the door they want to know what is going on and democrats have been terrible at trying to have a message that resonates with people who don't already believe donald trump is the devil. >> they overplay their cards and that is the problem. it is about messaging. trump is so good at distractions. neil: are democrats too good at looking overzealous? >> there base is angry. they are trying to get that anger. neil: there is a lot of time to resolve this anger. your knee deep into the primaries. >> they overplay their cards, if there's nothing there at the
7:38 am
end of the day -- neil: i will see you in a little bit. we are focusing on what is happening in hong kong. again, they were told about what that is all about. it is getting nasty. one weekend after another authority tell them stop this protesters say we are not protesting. they are burning a flag in china. that can get you put to death. e park capital of the world, it also has the highest growth in manufacturing jobs in the us. it's a competition for the talent. employees need more than just a paycheck. you definitely want to take advantage of all the benefits you can get. 2/3 of employees said that the workplace is an important source for personal savings and protection solutions. the workplace should be a source of financial security. keeping your people happy is what keeps your people. that's financial wellness. put your employees on a path to financial wellness with prudential.
7:39 am
"have you lost weight?" of course i have- ever since i started renting from national. because national lets me lose the wait at the counter... ...and choose any car in the aisle. and i don't wait when i return, thanks to drop & go. at national, i can lose the wait...and keep it off. looking good, patrick. i know. (vo) go national. go like a pro.
7:40 am
could another come aroundot, the corner. or could it play out differently? i wanted to help protect myself. my doctor recommended eliquis. eliquis is proven to treat and help prevent another dvt or pe blood clot. almost 98% of patients on eliquis didn't experience another. and eliquis has significantly less major bleeding than the standard treatment. eliquis is fda-approved and has both. don't stop eliquis unless your doctor tells you to. eliquis can cause serious and in rare cases fatal bleeding. don't take eliquis if you have an artificial heart valve or abnormal bleeding.
7:41 am
if you had a spinal injection while on eliquis call your doctor right away if you have tingling numbness or muscle weakness. while taking eliquis, you may bruise more easily. and it may take longer than usual for bleeding to stop. seek immediate medical care for sudden signs of bleeding like unusual bruising. eliquis may increase your bleeding risk if you take certain medicines. tell your doctor about all planed medical or dental procedures. what's around the corner could be your moment. ask your doctor about eliquis.
7:42 am
neil: here we go again and again. pro-democracy protesters gathering in hong kong marking five years of the umbrella street movement. what is going on here? >> reporter: we are back here and there is more trouble. we are off the streets of hong kong. it is a muggy nasty night and our first impression is police are taking no prisoners. take a look at what we saw. >> we are literally being pushed back by the hong kong police. they had it with us but they mostly had it with thousands of protesters down on the streets they are about to do battle with. in fact there were clashes, stones being thrown by the protesters and steel bars and
7:43 am
windows smashed. police came back with water cannons and pepper spray. one of our team members got it. the reason they are so edgy is a couple things. a couple of anniversaries. you mentioned one, the so-called umbrella movement, the first mass pro-democracy movement started here. it went on for 79 days and stayed mostly peaceful. it didn't achieve anything, probably why we are seeing the violence we have been witnessing. on tuesday the 70th anniversary of the founding of communist china, huge thing for president xi who is pulling out all the stops. the last thing he wants is trouble to be a distraction but that is what he is getting. as we come back, stop and searches and a lot of arrests, this has been going on for a
7:44 am
long time. it was peaceful, going to violence in july and august, real nastiness, four months, the pro-democracy people have gotten some concessions. the authorities, troops are staging in china but they didn't, they held back. both sides are a little uncertain, of particular note from viewers, economy is rubbish, tourism is down 40% in august, they are fearful they could be hitting their first recession for many years and that is serious stuff. neil: we will keep you posted on further developments. this is the collateral damage that happened this when you release a phone call with another foreign leader. other foreign leaders names are brought up including angela merkel of germany, we will get to that in a second, and others
7:45 am
are brought up, us ambassador to germany out of berlin right now. good to have you. neil: in the context of that conversation, they brought up about others helping out ukraine, angela merkel brought up -- this is what gets caught up in. what did the president have to say about her? >> it is very consistent. i have seen the leaders talk individually. it is consistent to his messaging throughout europe. ukraine is part of europe and the number one issue the president has been pushing europeans on is burden sharing and number 2 is energy diversification. this is what he brings up in every single conversation. no one should be surprised that these issues came up.
7:46 am
neil: in the context of talking to the leader of ukraine, did you get a sense that that was a wedge issue the president was raising or i am doing more for you than any other country which is the case. >> we have a really big issue in europe. europeans are incredibly focused on ukraine. it is in their neighborhood. it is a part of europe. we have at the end of this year, december 31st, the end of the ukraine russia gas transit context. that is a big huge problem. we cannot have europe somehow solve that issue and on september 19th we had the third round of talks in a year and a half. talks are going slowly but we need to solve it because energy diversification is a big deal. russia wants to cut out ukraine.
7:47 am
that is a european issue. europe is standing firm and saying no, we don't want that to happen. the ukrainians right now are feeling like europe is not helping them enough. they are complaining and they look at the united states with a successful sanctions policy whether it is on russia, north korea or iran they want our help and are looking, can they insure somehow energy diversification that would include ukraine and somehow not allow russia to once again play politics with gas and cut off ukraine and others in the middle of winter. neil: a good deal of interest yesterday fed by several of iran's leaders the united states that offered to drop all sanctions to resume talks. do you think that is a good idea? >> i heard the president of the
7:48 am
united states, donald trump, say that is not going to happen. i heard him say it directly. i think the president has shown incredible restraint. he has been consistent about diplomacy. diplomacy never ends. those diplomats, my colleagues throughout europe and around the world, we need to be really pushing on the sanctions even further, because that will bring them back to the table. i will note that we had huge success, donald trump and mike pompeo have been building towards this diplomatic push on our european friends and allies and we saw the british the french and germans cannot unequivocally and say the iranian's were lying, the evidence points to the fact that they are the ones who are responsible for these attacks in saudi arabia. i think it is a real game changer when you have the european saying to the iranian this you better change your
7:49 am
behavior because we know the truth and you are not telling the truth. neil: thank you for taking the time, good to see you again. entertainment or something else? the army and fbi issuing security warnings about a new joker movie, the film could inspire real-life violence. is it an overreaction? we debate it and you decide if you want to watch it.
7:50 am
7:51 am
7:52 am
>> can you introduce me as joker? neil: a little creepy but a lot of controversy. it is causing a good deal, it
7:53 am
is depicted in the fictional film, get the idea is going to inspire real-life copycats. a number of theaters are leery about showing it and those that are about to see it, ample warnings to be careful and look around if they do. nathan rubin and danielle shea, i'm looking at it and wondering if it warrants it. is that a warranted warning? >> i don't think so. there is always a risk that you could have some type of copycat action by someone who is mentally ill but as far as i know there is no scientific evidence that actually links violence in some to real-life violence. todd: and they are basing this on the colorado incident where a guy came into the theater. the dark knight was a dark movie and a follow-up film many years later and it could
7:54 am
inspire that. >> it certainly could inspire but there is no data or scientific evidence to link movies or video games to violent crime like this but the underlying conversation if you take a step back, we are aware there are too miniguns in this country and too many shouldn't have it. why don't we pass background checks. neil: is a debate about this. do you think people in the army, they start saying be a little careful because this kind of stuff, this kind of incident in the past. or they won't play it at that theater for that reason. >> it is a little crazy because texas police have uncovered on the dark web some threats against potential new the theaters. for me that brings it to be a little more real.
7:55 am
i would avoid -- >> it could. if we continue to talk about this and push it out there. people who do these things are mentally ill. if -- neil: the joker character is mentally ill and he morphs from an outlier, disenchanted, antisocial, ignored guy to rampaging murderer. others might emulate that. that is the fear. you could say that about a lot of movies. >> if somebody wants to do something really bad all they have to do is go to the internet and there are plenty of ideas and plenty of ways to do it. i don't think we could pinpoint this on violent films and save
7:56 am
a cause and effect because someone sees a movie that is violent or there's copycat -- neil: that is what they are basing it on, just ratchet it down. should warner bros. be there turf? >> they might put some added security around these theaters. you made a comment earlier this is not a gun debate but you can't separate mentally ill people having easy access to firearms. neil: you are not blaming the culture, the movies were things. >> i'm not blaming movies or games that we have seen a host of mass shooting epidemics in this country that is not anywhere else in the world and i think we know why. neil: we will get on the controversy over impeachment and why one particular democrat in a crucial district is saying slowdown. aw, stop. this is why voya helps reach today's goals... ...all while helping you to and through retirement. um, you guys are just going for a week, right? yeah! that's right. can you help with these? oh... um, we're more of the plan,
7:57 am
invest and protect kind of help... sorry, little paws, so. but have fun! ...
7:58 am
7:59 am
the amount of student loan debt i have i'm embarrassed to even say i felt like i was going to spend my whole adult life paying this off thanks to sofi, i can see the light at the end of the tunnel as of 12pm today, i am debt free ♪ not owing anyone anything is the best feeling in the world, i cannot stop smiling about it ♪
8:00 am
>> we're going to move as expeditiously as possible. >> go through as quickly as we can. we're not going to drag this out for a long time. >> i still want to see the committee do the investigation. >> we won't have the calendar be the arbiter, but-- it doesn't have to drag on. neil: doesn't this remind you when you're buying a car or something. right here, quick, quick, quick. i don't know, just weirding me out. anyway, congress might be in recess, but they're busy hammering away at the impeachment inquiry to the president of the united states and they say they have to move
8:01 am
fast. chad bergram why that is and what the timeline is looking at. what are you hearing? >> house speaker nancy pelosi says the timeline will be driven by the facts, that's pretty much her quote the other day. this is why they're interested over the recess to have testimony and documents, specifically a subpoena for secretary of state mike pompeo for next friday. we're going to have other figures coming in other state department people coming in. and it's two-pronged for democrats, they need data so they can craft or start to craft articles of impeachment. if they get stonewalling, keep in mind resistance they've had from the testimony from don mcgann to questions and documents over the census. they could say look, you did not comply with us and therefore we're going to have an obstruction of congress impeachment article.
8:02 am
if you go back to the nixon impeachment, now, remember, he was not impeached on the house floor, but the house judiciary committee in 1974 prepared five articles of impeachment, only three were approved and ready to go to the house floor before nixon resigned. but one of them dealt with obstruction of congress. and so that could be setting the table. and again, you know, this is going to be the critical part here. when you talk to members of congress and say, are you for impeachment or not, or for impeachment inquiry or whatever. nobody can definitively say because we don't know what articles they would go after. again, if you talk to people in the intelligence world, they might say ukraine. others might say emoluments, richard neal, ways and means. and the democrat from texas might say the conduct and comments after charlottesville. they have to narrow this and this is why nancy pelosi--
8:03 am
if you look how she handled obamacare and a lot of big issues, it's a central process for her. it goes through her office. she will ultimately make the call with consultation with adam schiff the chair of the intelligence committee and where the articles of impeachment would go out of even if they go more to the ukraine way. neil: when they talk about 200 democrats or thereabouts in mind to impeach the presidents for all the various possible reasons you stated, would nancy pelosi move if it got up to 218 who felt that way? >> well, it's very likely, but this is where you have to look to what the math is. and something i want everybody to pay attention to, this is going to be two of the most critical parts here. number one, look at vulnerable freshmen democrats from swing districts. there are 31 house democrats right now who represent districts that president trump carried in 2016. i would look at conor lamb in
8:04 am
pennsylvania, haley stevens, a freshman from michigan, max rose, staten island and a little bit of brooklyn and new york city. kendra horn in oklahoma, remarkable the democrats got there. and mcadams in utah. so during this two-week recess, do those members get lit up. as i always say, it's about the math, it's about the math, it's about the math. you could have, you know, you need to have some democrats voting for impeachment and they represent trump districts. neil: chad pergram, i'm glad you joined us, i strong armed you and pressured you-- thank you very much. one of the congressmen sort of in that pickle is jeff van drew, the new jersey congressman who won in a district that the president won. the south carolina republican tim scott on that math and on this unprecedented speed the democrats are now under to get this going.
8:05 am
what do you think of it, senator? >> well, i think they've boxed themselves in. just think about this. before the transcript came out, they had already started the impeachment inquiry, which means that the evidence does not matter. i think perhaps the most important statement made was by congressman al green said if we don't impeach we're afraid he might win. and the third thing i'm thinking about is adam schiff, in the middle of a committee hearing, making crap up. instead of referring to the transcript, he literally made from whole cloth something that did not appear in the transcript. i've read it a few times and will after i listened to him at the hearing to make sure i didn't miss anything. neil: no, it was over the top. you're right. that's obnoxious, that was beyond the pale. having said that though, i'm curious, senator. >> yes. neil: maybe it's know the about the president at all and you know what happens at these hearings, they drag on and on
8:06 am
and people hear nothing about negative news on the president after the other and even if it doesn't lead to impeachment, he's badly limping to the ballot. >> absolutely, their strategy has been from the 2016 election until now find a way to either get him impeached, get him out, make him quit or beat him by not using facts, but fiction if necessary and frankly, from my perspective, perhaps the biggest loser in this entire process will be biden for president. what he will have to explain as the democrats drag all this information into the public forum is his relationship with ukraine and his son's relationship with ukraine. the 1.5 billion from china. they are making it very difficult for their front runner to hold on to their lead and perhaps that's their strategy because they want someone far more liberal to come up against president trump. i think they're setting up a
8:07 am
lose-lose situation for the democrat party from my perspective. neil: you know, senator, a couple of your republican colleagues, mitt romney, susan collins come to mind are disturbed by the tone and the remarks the president made when talking to the ukrainian leader and raising the issue, even if it's not impeachable it's worrisome when the leader of our country once again involved -- the appearance of a foreign power trying to exert influence in another u.s. election. does that part trouble you? >> well, listen, if i were on that call i would not have made the comments and would not have brought up or had a conversation about joe biden or his son. i think there are a number of ways that we should expect that the ukrainians can get to the bottom of the server that may have had some influence in the entire russia process. i'd love to get to the bottom of that without any question, but the president-- >> do you think the senator-- i'm sorry, sir, just to be clear, in so doing, do you think
8:08 am
that in and of itself could be a quid pro quo, forget about the aid that ukraine ultimately got from us, that the pressure was on the ukrainian leader to do something on this, and that he probably delivered that. and that that-- that raises questions of a quid pro quo in not the traditional manner? >> the answer is no. it's clear that having read the transcript three or four times before i watched the adam schiff's theater, reading it another time, one of the things i paid closer attention to was the exchange. who brought what up and it was very clear that president zelenskiy talked about the crowd strike and the server and that went to a deeper conversation which included biden. when you look at the transcript
8:09 am
and follow the actual exchanges, you're hard-pressed to find anything in there other than the president mentioning the biden that was inappropriate. neil: do you buy this argument that there are quite a few republicans in the senate who would move in that direction because they are troubled by this? in other words, vote to impeach? not just saying it, but they're all troubled by it? >> well, i think there's-- so impeachment conviction requires 67 votes in the senate. there's no way in the world we're going to get beyond 51, in my opinion. neil: because jeff flake as you know was on talk shows talking about there are 35 republicans who are of the mindset. that seemed a little high to me. but what are your thoughts on that? >> i would say that's a little high. no, that's incredibly high. i've sat through lunches with senators, republican senators this week at least three days and one thing i would say the
8:10 am
vast majority would say we would not bring up an opponent's name in a conversation number one. number two, there's no evidence or fact pattern that leads to anything close to quid pro quo and number three, there's not evidence for impeachment. that being said there are probably two or three republicans who are very concerned about just the tone and frankly, i think, the fact pattern over the last three years would be more concerning to them than simply the conversation with president zelenskiy. that's been manifest. frankly, you can look in the paper and find out who these three folks are. neil: and the idea that this could embarrass joe biden, too, that democrats would then get to pick someone for whom the base is very loyal and really loves, elizabeth warren comes to mind. she has a wealth tax on the table, bernie sanders has a wealth tax on the cable. and talk next week joe biden will reveal a wall street/wealth
8:11 am
tax, that would be on top of raises taxes back on the upper income on all levels and s surtaxes that would follow. what do you think of this. >> from a southern perspective that sound like hogwash to me. let me put some meat on the bone. bernie sanders's wealth tax, eliminating billionaires, starts with anyone who has a net worth over $16 million. his plan raises 4.3 trillion over ten years. a said differently for the 180,000 families in america where they have a net worth of 16 million or more, that's a tax of about 2.4 million dollars in addition starting year one through year ten, which means in addition to those additional taxes on the wealthy, their plan is to repeal the 2017 tax reform cuts that we passed. said differently, for the single mother, because of our 2017 tax
8:12 am
reform who received a 73% cut in her taxes, her taxes are going to go back up by 73%. neil: a bad idea in your eyes? >> that does not sound like-- does not sound like a tax on the wealthy to me, it sounds like a tax on someone making $40,000 a year. neil: we'll look at it closely. senator, thank you again. have a good weekend. thank you, neil, have a great day. neil: to the senator's point on the quid pro quo thing. constitutional lawyer, katie. does it have to be something like a financial item raised or dangled, could it be the goods on perspective opponent. when is it a quid pro quo and when is it a clear quid pro quo? >> with a quid pro quo, it doesn't have to be an exchange of money, but a benefit. when you're talking about
8:13 am
clear-cut quid pro quo in the transcript. i don't think you could get there at least criminally. with impeachment that's not necessarily what's required, but you're not going to find that clear-cut exchange in that transcript in my opinion. neil: all right. so where does it become an an impeachable offense, high crime or misdemeanor? i know quid pro quo to your point is maybe in the eyes of the beholder here. but to a republican, senator scott tells us that's not a quid pro quo, and stringing aid to a country may be, it does not appear, i stress, at this point to be that. where are we? >> it kind of cuts both ways. for criminal violations you would need to establish there was a quid pro quo, for violations of many statutes. for impeachment you don't need that it's a standard of high crimes and misdemeanors. it would be helpful to establish the criminal element. so to look at that transcript
8:14 am
and say, is this something that kind of walks the line? certainly, yes, it does. and criminally, i think it should be investigated. if i were a prosecutor i'd look into it, but i don't think it crosses into a clear-cut violation, you'd never be able to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt. for impeachment you don't need that. is this enough for betrayal of office. is there something wrong about it, maybe you get there. neil: we're not there yet to your point. katie, thank you very much. >> thank you, neil. neil: we told you about some of the vulnerable democrats or-- who won districts where the president won and won by a surprising amount. he's in the middle of that after this. ng jobs in the us. it's a competition for the talent. employees need more than just a paycheck. you definitely want to take advantage of all the benefits you can get. 2/3 of employees said that the workplace is an important source
8:15 am
for personal savings and protection solutions. the workplace should be a source of financial security. keeping your people happy is what keeps your people. that's financial wellness. put your employees on a path to financial wellness with prudential.
8:16 am
the doctor's office might mejust for a shot.o but why go back there when you can stay home with neulasta® onpro? strong chemo can put you at risk of serious infection. in a key study neulasta® reduced the risk of infection from 17% to 1% a 94% decrease. neulasta® onpro is designed to deliver neulasta® the day after chemo and is used by most patients today. neulasta® is for certain cancer patients receiving strong chemotherapy. do not take neulasta® if you're allergic to it or neupogen (filgrastim). an incomplete dose could increase infection risk. ruptured spleen, sometimes fatal as well as serious lung problems allergic reactions, kidney injuries and capillary leak syndrome have occurred. report abdominal or shoulder tip pain, trouble breathing or allergic reactions to your doctor right away.
8:17 am
in patients with sickle cell disorders, serious, sometimes fatal crises can occur. the most common side effect is bone and muscle ache. if you'd rather be home ask your doctor about neulasta® onpro. pay no more than $5 per dose with copay card. >> all right. welcome back. democrats are ramping up their impeachment inquiry, and my next guest says not so fast. he's a democrat. he won his district outright and it was a republican district and the president won there. he won comfortably himself so he resisted the pressure and joins
8:18 am
us right now. congressman good to have you. >> it's wonderful to be here, thanks for having me. neil: let me get your take on this impeachment rush, push, what whatever you want to call it. you're saying slow down the gist of it. >> the gist of it, the whole package with me, the way that we're dealing with issues in congress. i have always been, always will be very independent-minded elected official. i think that we need more of that. you know, historically, if we look back at what our founding fathers talked about, they said when you were too loyal to your political party over the nation, there truly would be problems, particularly george washington. i think it's just too much partisanship in general. what concerns me about impeachment now, let's really break this down. the odds are very high that it's not going to bear any fruit. the odds are very high that this
8:19 am
president will continue to be the president. the odds are very high that this president will be the nominee for the republican party. and meanwhile, while all of this is going on, all the money is being spent, all the hearings are being had and i don't mind investigating. if there's something really there, if there's something really there, obviously, we need to investigate. and we have been investigating. but to go into a full-blown impeachment is going to accomplish, unfortunately, certain goals that i don't think are desirable. number one, we're going to split the country further apart. there is no doubt the country is split now. since the civil war, i almost don't believe we've been so split apart. this is going to make it worse. good leadership, good, you know, officials should try to bring us together. secondly, we have a host of issues to deal with, neil, that are so serious, whether it is the debt and the deficit, whether it is social security and medicare, whether it is, you know, having elections that are
8:20 am
secure, whether it is the cost of medication. neil: bottom line, congressman, i'm sorry to jump on you, just so i can be clear, there are more important things to worry about. now, there is a rush though, and maybe because some of these other democrats pushing it don't think it will end up in the president's impeachment, but it will muddy him. what do you think of that call? >> and maybe it will muddy him. i always think the best way to win elections is by doing good stuff. i believe as democrats if we can accomplish even half of the goals that i just messaged, and all the problems that i've just mentioned, some of them were cured, i think that would do more good for us. i'd rather win an election by really accomplishing some amazing goals, rather than just by muddying somebody else up. you know what? the course of this election, people really know who this president is. he's made it clear who he is. 's been on twitter. we know the problems he's had. we know the issues we've had.
8:21 am
so if we want to impeach, the people of the united states of america are going to have an election now in a year. they can go ahead in the ballot box and impeach if they desire to do so. you know, what's been interesting in this whole thing is the fact that while the president has been out there and we've been talking about all of this stuff, you know, the senate has done some bills and some appointments and we've done some bills, but very seldom have we come together and really gotten things done. less bills passed now, i think probably only a third of the number of bills compared to last session. neil: do you think in your congress, your house dominated by a lot of the new guys like you who came in, sir, has been a disappointment? is that the signal you're sending? >> no, i don't want to say we've been a disappointment there really are-- some of the people you mentioned are some fine, good people put in a terrible situation, what i'm saying-- >> but i just wanted to make sure where you're coming from and i clearly do.
8:22 am
so thank you for taking the time. we will have more. >> my pleasure. outdated. the paperwork... the calling for everything. the searching for id cards... it's like you're stuck in the 90s. that's why esurance makes it simple with an app that has everything you need because that's how we live nowadays. rad. your id card is on a bodacious tiny future tv. wow! you're really committed to this whole 90's thing, aren't ya? no, i'm just saying what's in the script. that's true. everything we're saying's in the script. when insurance is simple, it's surprisingly painless.
8:23 am
this is the family who wanted to connect... to go where they could explore and experience adventure in unexpected places... ♪ who were inspired by different cultures ♪ and found that the past can create new memories... leading them to discover: we're woven together by the moments we share. for everywhere you go, expedia has everything you need, all in one place.
8:24 am
8:25 am
>> well, a surprise to folks, but we're getting reports that joe biden plans to jump on the wall street tax wagon. this as the 2020 rivals, bernie sanders and liz warren roll out tax plans, so-called wealth taxes. we've got tracy with more. >> former vice-president joe biden now considering a plan that could tax financial transaction such as the sale of stocks and bonds according to "the washington post." if biden moves forward with this proposal to be a major step closer to the principles of his two biggest rivals elizabeth warren and bernie sanders. both warren and sanders unveiled plans to tax the wealth of the
8:26 am
richest americans, while also pushing for significant taxes on corporations, wall street and estates. warren's plan would place a 2% tax on households worth more than $50 million and 3% with those 1 billion affecting the top 70,000 households. and sanders, a tax on the richest americans as the qui quinnipiac poll has warren essentially tied with biden. >> and you saw he saw the 50 million thing and ah! not really. what do you make of that? >> well, i think it's a mistake, a political mistake by joe biden to go down this path because it's going to affect so many people. when you look at the wealth tax,
8:27 am
let's say bernie sanders's plan, that's going to affect about 180,000 people and elizabeth warren's plan is 70,000. so, it's a much tighter group politically to target for more taxes. i mean, that's not good for you, neil, you and your rich pals. neil: incredible. [laughter] >> but that's where the money is, right? >> that's where the money is. neil: so it's you guys in the top 1/10 of 10%. >> it lonely at the top. neil: what's the fallout. you were worried it would tricker down, right? >> absolutely the fallout would trickle down. for me, i look at what billionaires actually do with their money and why are we hating on billionaires. look at bill and melinda gates, they have an amazing foundation, they do work all over the world and-- >>, but bill gates came out and said he's okay with paying more, and i don't know this much more. but billionaire investors sitting where you're sitting, we're a crafty bunch, we can
8:28 am
find ways around it. >> absolutely true. there are multiple different ways to get around it and different places to stash money and maybe not legal, but-- >> right. >> they may find a way. neil: so we used to have a top tax rate in the country, 70, 90%. >> republican president. neil: eisenhower. you weren't even alive. [laughter] >> but, so that's the argument for doing it. of course, very few paid at that rate in those days, as you know, but that it sends a bad signal and if they pull money out or do the kind of things that break with something they've gotten used to, katie bar the door you say? >> there are two things we need to fundamentally understand. when donald trump talks about making america great again, he's talking about the booming 60's when we had the booming middle class. and they were supporting the growing middle class.
8:29 am
i think that we can get that and-- >> you're assuming the money that they pay and the government would get that money, it's going to make it better for those on the lower rung? >> and i want to make it clear that that money is not just going to be tax and spend. it will be tax and invest. neil: how do you know? has the government been good at that in the past? >> every dollar spent on infrastructure yields a return. every dollar spent on public education. neil: look at the history of government spend under republicans and democrats, away. >> and any good businessman or accountant knows, the way to decrease that is to decrease expenditures or increase revenues coming in. the way you do that as a government increase taxes. neil: and when increase revenue, you're right. that they'll spend that and republicans have done that in spades under this one and happened under the last one. i get that.
8:30 am
what is the republican argument to this going to be, to this point, the history isn't great for the republicans watching the budget store. >> as far as the wealth tax goes, i think the republican response is going to be, this has not worked effectively anywhere in the world. so, point to a system that is implemented a wealth tax and it's worked. as a matter of fact, france just pulled back on this wealth tax in 2017. so, there's no proof that-- >> wait a minute, you're not saying imitate france. the new france. >> i'm saying why go down the road of looking at systems that have not been successful with this type of tax. neil: i'm taking a bigger picture look at this. we've spent trillions fighting the war on poverty and the percentages have not changed since that. before you agree to stick anyone with a higher tax bill, should we think that through?
8:31 am
should we think about precisely how this will be done and whether this time it will be done differently? the track record is dicey. >> yes, there needs to be a plan how it should be done. where the money is going to. exactly like you said. there's only two ways to fix the deficit, right? you have to increase taxes or decrease the spend. for me, i think it's a better idea to decrease the spending instead of increasing the tax. neil: you can trigger boom. we had an internet boom under president clinton, i'm not saying that he triggered it, but how is this going to spur a boom. >> dan mentioned the numbers of 180,000 taxed a little more under these plans, but you look at the current-- >> that would be a lot more. >> we have 500,000 americans going bankrupt every year due to rising health care costs. so, this money that we're going to raise would pay for their health care plans, whether it's medicare for all-- >> and taxes for that? >> absolutely, i pay a high
8:32 am
effective tax rates higher than millionaires and billionaires do, the way that they gain theirs is through the stock market and-- >> i'm relieved you're paying a lot of taxes, if there is a god, i guess. [laughter] >> all right. do you know how many people were apparently listening in on the president's phone call with the ukrainian president? it's upwards of a dozen. it just got me thinking, it happens sometimes, isn't that the problem? beyond whatever was said on the phone call? after this. >> the mobile app makes it easy to manage your policy, even way out here. your marshmallow's... get digital id cards, emergency roadside service, even file a... whoa. whoa. whoa. whoa. whoa. whoa! oops, that cheeky little thing got away from me. my bad. geico. it's easy to manage your policy whenever, wherever. can i trouble you for another marshmallow?
8:33 am
8:34 am
8:35 am
[ slow dance♪music plays ] sfx: record scratch music (plays throughout): [ 'watch me walk' by spencer ludwig ] yo dj, can i put in a request? ♪ don't have no sass about this ♪ ♪ i'm on my way i'm on my way ♪ ♪ can't take no class about this ♪ ♪ i'm on my way i'm on my ♪ like this! ♪ this is a moment you plan for. to start your investment plan, find an advisor at massmutual.com sfx: [ mnemonic ]
8:36 am
>> a few moments ago, beto o'rourke running for president of the united states, speaking in austin, the developments are all the proof that you need, resign, quit now. more than a dozen people listening to the phone call and discussing whether the president should be impeached or not. isn't that a significant deal? dan hoffman is the former cia station chief joins us right now. dan, i'd be remiss if i didn't try to get your reaction to what the congressman, the former congressman had to say, beto o'rourke, resign. this alone should mean he should resign. what do you think of that? >> i've had a lot of experience with whistleblower complaints when i was at cia and what's really important is that we give the whistleblower some anonymity and also, protect the whistleblower's identity while at the same time respecting the rights of the accused and not assuming that the accused is
8:37 am
guilty until proven innocent. it's quite the reverse. you need to collect the facts, be quick about it, it's not like fine wine getting better with age, but at the same time we have to hold true to our principles and the letter of the law. i don't think that beto o'rourke is doing himself favors jumping to the punchline pishs wewishes true going through the process. neil: there's a rush to this, an unusual rush. what do you think of that. i found it disconcerting. and i also found it disconcerting when representative schiff gave a reading. and this is a public. it isn't any place that the acting dni wouldn't rather be than having his people and their information being ground through a partisan meat grinder. and that with collateral, there
8:38 am
are derogatory comments with the governments. neil: and with vladimir putin saying don't release our conversations. routinely there are a dozen or morley'sening in on these calls. and maybe that's always been the case and maybe picked up steam after they got rid of the taping system in the white house after richard nixon, i don't know. what do you think of that? there are a lot of ears in this. >> frankly, i don't have a problem with that. we entrust our public servants with information, intelligence of far greater value than what was discussed between zelenskiy and president trump. they hold security clearances which would be put at risk if they were to leak that information and what's more, while we adhere to the need to know and keep the numbers down,
8:39 am
the goal of our diplomates and our intelligence and military is to serve the president and help the president in those calls and then assess how, for example, in this case, president zelenskiy, what the issues were that he raised. neil: that whistleblower, from what i understand, dan, was not involved and did not hear this conversation. so obviously someone passed it along to him and was worried enough about it to let him know about it and i don't know the chain of events, but someone among those dozen or so listening was concerned. >> right, and that's the exception there. there are lots of calls that take place between our elected officials and foreigneaders and it is important for us, i think, in the course of our government business to get the support of the civil servants who are there to do just that and in this case, again, it was an exception. the problem this complaint is being handled in such an overtly
8:40 am
partisan man we risk collateral damage. the president campaigned on the art of the deal, four big ones out there in our foreign policy, nuclear deals with iran and maybe an arms deal with russia, trade deals with china and they will be extremely difficult more so given the domestic political fallout given the impeachment inquiry especially if the democrats are taking it as far as they are rushing to judgment. neil: the battle is on. dan, thanks for taking our team. >> thanks. neil: it will play out as we head into a third week here, but politics is playing out more. we'll prove it and show it right after this. carl, i appreciate the invite here. as my broker, what am i paying you to manage my money? it's racquetball time. (thumps) ugh! carl, does your firm offer a satisfaction guarantee? like schwab does. guarantee? (splash) carl, can you remind me what you've invested my money in?
8:41 am
it's complicated. are you asking enough questions about the way your wealth is being managed? if not, talk to schwab. a modern approach to wealth management. ifwayfair's got yourab. perfect mattress. whether you're looking for a top-brand at a great price. ready to upgrade. moving in. moving on up. or making big moves. deliveries ship free and come with a 100-night free trial. no matter your budget. or your sleep style. we have quality options for everyone. so search and shop. save and snooze. and rest easy, knowing that we've got your back. literally. that's what you get, when you've got wayfair. so shop now.
8:42 am
8:43 am
you wanna see something thatamazing?ing. go to hilton instead of a travel site and you'll experience a whole new range of emotions like... the relaxing feeling of knowing you're getting the best price. these'll work. the utter delight of free wi-fi... . oh man this is the best part. isn't that you? yeah. and the magic power of unlocking your room with your phone.
8:44 am
i can read minds too.? book at hilton.com. if you find a lower rate, we match it and give you 25% off that stay. expect better. expect hilton. >> all right, it's day 13, the gm workers are still on strike and while they're battling over pay and benefits, the democrats candidates are battling for their votes. ellison barber is in detroit. >> hey, neil. nearly 5,000 auto workers walked out of plants about two weeks ago. president trump has remained neutral only saying he hopes it's resolved soon. democrats are taking sides. the democratic presidential hopefuls have showed up to detroit and praised the auto workers and slammed general motors. senator bernie sanders came a few days ago and in his words praised them for standing up to
8:45 am
corporate greed. in 2016 blue collar factory workers helped president trump narrowly win the state of michigan and secure the white house. democrats have historically done well with unions. union leadership tends to support them, but the last election, the exit polling showed that president trump picked up union households in a way that few republican presidential candidates have in recent times. democrats are trying to convince the workers that voted for trump last time, especially those on strike right now that neither the president nor his party really understands them like democrats do. that with the trade war and plant closures, president trump hasn't kept his promises to them. we've spoken to some workers on strike right now who say they feel that that has been the case, that president trump may have tried to do something them, but has not delivered to date. the most vocal supporters who supported the trump in 2016 and are union workers still tell us they're standing by president trump, think it's a wait and see with trade deals coming and
8:46 am
hopefully coming, they think that president trump is looking out for them. neil. neil: thank you very, very much. meanwhile, how the president's phone call with the ukrainian president compared to phone calls of past presidents. you might want to cover your ears, kids. owth in manufacturing jobs in the us. it's a competition for the talent. employees need more than just a paycheck. you definitely want to take advantage of all the benefits you can get. 2/3 of employees said that the workplace is an important source for personal savings and protection solutions. the workplace should be a source of financial security. keeping your people happy is what keeps your people. that's financial wellness. put your employees on a path to financial wellness with prudential.
8:47 am
some of the following has spoiling this is us for the few who haven't seen it. season 4 of this is us is almost here. to catch every past episode, just say "this is us" into your xfinity voice remote. like the one where i... [ buzzer ] or the one where we show... [ buzzer ] when he was a... [ buzzer ] plus you can watch this is us
8:48 am
anywhere with xfinity stream app. especially the... [ buzzer ] episode. awww, that one's my favorite. catch every episode of this is us with xfinity.
8:49 am
>> was it really that bad? president trump's phone call being deemed offensive by many. but we've heard far more offensive calls on other presidents, like maybe this one from john f. kennedy. >> it's absolutely nonsense. >> imagine if you didn't stay (bleep), three planes instead of one. precisely. >> and that's why these guys spend money. they're shocked if we don't.
8:50 am
>> all right. john f. kennedy. memb memm memm memmer angry, and the president was embarrassed that they were spending a lot of money to prepare that facility and he let the official have it. he's one of presidents who let it be known exactly how they feel. and all the rage back then,
8:51 am
richard nixon and not today. burt, this is not new and we can argue about whether one's response is warranted here and what's the threat or what's not. bottom line, when the president of the united states is on the line, you know, if you're on the receiving end of that, you know that, too, don't you? >> yes. yes. you're right, neil. president kennedy was feeling more confident at that point in his presidency. he had been president for two and a half years. my understanding is that he installed a lot of this bugging equipment after the bay of pigs disaster in the first few months of office because he was upset that some people who had encouraged him to undertake the cuban invasion had deserted him when it failed and criticized him in public. he wanted to have those comments on record for his defense, historically. neil: you know, you've always reminded me once you're the most powerful person on the planet as the president is for his time in office, it's intimidating,
8:52 am
period, for the other person talking to him. >> yeah. neil: and this comes to mind with lyndon johnson strong-arming a reluctant congressman with the warren commission, i want you to listen to this. >> sure. >> you're my man on that commission and you're going to do it. don't tell me what you can do and what you can't. i can't arrest you and i'm not going put the fbi on it and you're going to serve. >> he did serve. >> he did. that was senator richard dressel. years earlier when johnson became a u.s. senator he heard that richard dressel was the most powerful man in the senate. he wanted to be majority leader so he played up to richard russell and served in fact under him under the senate armed services committee. russell in term backed him to be the majority leader in the early 1950's so johnson became the
8:53 am
leader of the senate on the democratic side in his first term in office. it's interesting ten years later when johnson is president. neil: the order is reversed. >> and he gave the instructions to russell and he attended the hearing less than any other commissioner and didn't like the results of the commission verdict and told johnson so afterwards. so he still had a lot of pugnaciously in him toward the president, even though you cannot tell it on that phone call. neil: i'm glad you mentioned that. but in the end he did join the commission. >> he did. neil: and it's intimidating when the president brings up an idea he wants to share with you, and that's what is brought up in the phone call the leader of ukraine, getting information on joe biden. i'm not a lawyer i don't know if that's constitutional high crimes and misdemeanor, i'll let others debate it. but when the president of the
8:54 am
united states is saying something you might not be comfortable with. the nixon tape comes to mind. a famous one i think you'll recognize it immediately. >> all right, a million dollars wouldn't get that-- that single exchange is probably one we don't have presidential tapes today. but having said that. >> right. neil: sometimes they can, there are other things, embarrassing to the president, also, on that conversation, and i'm just wondering then. >> sure. neil: how presidents then play that out? even when all we have to go on later on is the transcript? >> right, that's true. and you don't always hear the
8:55 am
tone of voice in a transcript. the constitution is clear that impeachment is for high crimes and misdemeanors, and that was an intentionally vague terminology because in a civil country, we set a very high standard for high crimes and misdemeanors, and it cannot be something trivial, it must be something very substantial and sometimes these tapes can be very revealing, can't they. neil: but i just am reminded of all the people who say all the things about the president and his tone and everything else, reminded of the fact that if you're a democrat or republican we've heard much worse, haven't we? >> we have, absolutely. and i think it's a good thing sometimes these transcripts and the tapes are not released until later because presidents need to have a certain flexibility to maneuver. they're in difficult situations internationally and even nationally. neil: yeah. >> and they need to have a certain flexibility to maneuver. i don't like the idea of
8:56 am
transcripts and tapes becoming available very soon after they occur. neil: a lot of points. this is so much better than the phone call conversation we were having, burt. kidding, kidding. thank you very much my friend and thank you for coming on a saturday. >> thank you, neil. neil: the new and spruced up fox business network coming to you next week. it starts on money. we've got mark cuban joining me, and the studios and the same old me. look forward to seeing you then. fox news continues now. i get it all the time.
8:57 am
"have you lost weight?" of course i have- ever since i started renting from national. because national lets me lose the wait at the counter... ...and choose any car in the aisle. and i don't wait when i return, thanks to drop & go. at national, i can lose the wait...and keep it off. looking good, patrick. i know. (vo) go national. go like a pro.
8:58 am
8:59 am
thand find inspiration who win new places.ct... leading them to discover: we're woven together by the moments we share. everything you need, all in one place. expedia. set yourself free with fleet. gentle constipation relief in minutes. little fleet. big relief. try it. feel it. feel that fleet feeling.
9:00 am
>> president trump is firing back as democratic leaders say they will be moving forward with their impeachment inquiry even as many lawmakers return to their home districts ahead of the two-week recess. welcome to america's news headquarters, i'm molly line. leland: with a lot back in their districts, i'm leland vittert. the president had harsh words on twitter before heading out of the white house, slamming several democrats. mark meredith

66 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on