Skip to main content

tv   Tucker Carlson Tonight  FOX News  January 2, 2020 9:00pm-10:00pm PST

9:00 pm
d't... (glass breaking) (gasp) ah! oh...! with geico, the savings keep on going. just like this sequel. 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance. ♪ >> tucker: good evening and welcome to "tucker carlson tonight." last weekend, a horrifying stabbing attack at a hanukkah party in new york. listen to the daughter of one victim described the aftermath of that. >> he has a fractured skull. he has been sliced through his neck. he has a shattered arm. the doctors do not have high hopes for him. he may never -- if he wakes up, he may never be able to walk, talk, or even process speech again. >> tucker: awful.
9:01 pm
so far, the coverage of the attack has focused on the rising number of violent anti-jewish incidents in new york and across the country, as well as on thomas' own psychiatric issues. which were significant. we must be honest and tell you there was another factor at play, and that was ideology. thomas was only on the street in the first place because politicians long ago decided with criminals over normal people in new york. five at the time he began stabbing strangers in the synagogue, thomas had already beenst arrested seven times. in some cases for violent offenses like assault i'm a resisting arrest, and killing a police animal. despite all of that, the only jail term thomas ever received wasly in 2013 on a drug offense. somehow he was able to kill a police animal and never go to jail. in other words, grafton thomas gave us plenty of warning. the people in charge ofus protecting us just excited to ignore thoseig warnings. once the new york city police commissioner joins us tonight.
9:02 pm
thanks so much for coming on. how does thisom happen? >> well, listen. i've been talking about this for the last year, where i think the city, the state of new york, it's irresponsible in creating these laws where you're not holding people accountable. on january 1st, just two days ago, you know, we created -- we signed into law, and it's gone into effect, where people that burglarize, that rape, rape third class, a number of violent crimes are now being considered not violent and people aren't held when they get locked up. there just turning them around right through a turnstile. i think this is a demonstration of how the city has is going to implode if they don't fix it and fix it fast because you're going to continue to have people like us out on the streets.
9:03 pm
>> tucker: most of what you're saying is intuitive, it's obvious, normal people i think kind of know it instinctively. so why the change? was there a groundswell of support for letting people out of prison or not putting them in prison for killing police animals, for example, or rape? i mean, how did we get here? >> i think of the left-wing liberal socialist push where we criminalize the police, we let people out, there was the criminal justice reform push. here's the bottom line, there should be criminal justice reform. that bad people that do bad things belong in prison. we put rod blagojevich, the governor of illinois in prison for 14 years for talking about politics on the phone but you have people who commit violent acts, violent acts against others, and they turn around and let them out to go out and do it again the next day and the next
9:04 pm
dayth after. you had a woman, committed three acts of violence in three days and she's been let out every day after. >> tucker: so you started on the new york city force, the police department, when new york was dangerous. if you over running the department when it had become safer -- was still safer aftertl you left and now you're seeing it move in the opposite direction. it almost seems like we know what to do to make thehe city se but we are not doing it on purpose. >> you know what, nobody knows how to fix the city and how to reduce crime better than i did and i do, because i was there when the renaissance occurred, but it looks like this may or in this governor, they're trying to diminish and destroy all the programs that were put in place that reduced crime by 65 -- violent crime by 65 to 70%. homicide by 70-75% and what they
9:05 pm
did in this with these new laws whether letting people back out on the street, it's going to diminish quality of life and it's going to enhance violence. >> tucker: it just shows you what political leaders can do, the damage they can wreak. all of our attention is on the national stage, but here you have just a mayor, just the mayor of the city causing remarkable damage to people. >> these -- listen, all you have to do is look at what happened in the last week. in the last 24 hours. this thing should be reversed. the mayor should be screaming out of his mind to get it reversed.. he's not out there, he's not doing it, it endangers the public, it's irresponsible, it's dangerous to the police officers that put their lives on the line on a daily basis to go out and arrest people. it's a shame. >> tucker: it's depressing. bernie, thanks so much for that.
9:06 pm
as you just heard, new york city appears to be doing everything that it can to create more grafton thomass. new year's day knew bales law went into effect in new york state, those are going to. pretrial attention and cash bail had not been illuminated for almost all misdemeanor and nonviolent felony cases. even some violent felonies are included. what does it mean? it means that crimes like burglary, stocking, petty assault, many drug offenses, even some types of arson and robbery are no longer fail crimes. in the words of governor andrew cuomo himself, the guy behind us, 90 defense of criminal defendants will now be back on the streets right after being arrested. additional offenders will find it even easier to commit more crimes. with nobel constraining and there is no incentive to show up for court so of course many wilc simply disappear and reoffend. who benefits from this? it's hard to see who benefits, except the people getting out of jail. last week, new york resident
9:07 pm
tiffany harris allegedly assaulted three orthodox jewish women in brooklyn. she was arrested, charged, and released. on sunday she was arrested and charged with another assault she was released again. on new year's eve, guess what she did? she got arrested for a third time. this time she's finally being kept in custody, that's new york. democratic residential candidates have made it clear that if they take power in washington this fall, they'll make the rest of the country, every bit as inviting for criminals. watch this. >> i have been a leader in the united states senate on saying we need to get rid of the cash bail system. >> there are in jail because they are too poor to afford cash bail. do you understand what i'm saying? we are going to end cash bail. >> we should get rid of cash bail entirely. >> how about we stop making poverty a crime. no more cash bail. this is crazy! >> tucker: is this what the country wants or needs? is this a peaceful place where
9:08 pm
law-abiding citizens feel safe and protected? it ought to be. increasingly is not. for about half a decade criminal justice reform has been one of the chief obsessions of our ruling class. eliminating bail is just one prong of the offensive that they are waging. there are also demanding shorter prison sentences, fewer cops" over police to neighborhoods," whatever that is. voting rights for violent criminals in prison and more. often these policies to enjoy support from guilt ridden republicans who have forgotten who they represent. the year 2019 just ended and so now we can bring to some data to the conversation and fully assess the human toll of these policies. we have the numbers. here's what they are buried in philadelphia, a city with taken a close look at on the show, under the direction of soros-funded larry krasner, the city recorded 359 murders for the year. that's the most in more than a decade. in other words, people died as a result of these policies. more than 100. and it's not just in philadelphia.la baltimore had 348 murders last year.
9:09 pm
it's the most since 1993 and per capita it's the deadliest year on record in baltimore. in 2014, dallas had only 116 homicides. this year, after theth far left promised not to prosecute fafsa valued at less than 750 bucks, the murder rate went up to over 200. in charlotte, north carolina, 57 homicides recorded last year. 57. this year, charlotte reached that number before the end of efjune and then it's kept going. the city finished with 108 murders on the year. that's the most since the early 1990s. how about washington, the nation's capital? 2012 d.c. had just 88 murders. even two years ago there were only 116, but this year, 2019? 166 murders. see a trend? you should, because it'ss everywhere. we could spend half the show was siding with stats for city after city, st. louis, raleigh, seattle, louisville, cincinnati, we could go on and on. the point is across the country
9:10 pm
in city after city murder rates have surged dramatically compared with just five yearss ago. this is happening. these are not fake statistics, they are the most real. and even in cities where violent crime hasn't searched, locals are dealing instead with property crimes and brought quality-of-life offenses, which are significant, in some places severe. san francisco, for example, facing an epidemic of shoplifting and car robberiesth that has made life unbearable for many taxpayers. we got a series on that running next week which you won't want to n miss. the bottom line is people don't want criminal justice reform, they want enforcement, they've always wantedri that. so why are they getting it? heather mcdonald has thought a lot about this question. the author of the book the diversity of delusion and joins us on the show, thanks for coming on. i don't think there is any topic on which there is a greater divide between what the majority of citizens ofy all parties, all colors, say they want, and what they get from the people in charge. why is this complicated for our
9:11 pm
leaders? >> because they are in the grips of a false narrative, which says that the criminal justice system is racist. this massive wave of deincarceration, decriminalization that is going on across the country as you point out, tucker, is being done in the name of racial justice. while gas who those homicide victims are overwhelmingly? blacks. law-abiding blacks.la the criminal justice system is thnot racist. the incidence of people in prison is because of crime, not their skin color. prison today remains a lifetime achievement award for persistence and criminal offending. you have to work very hard to get yourself sentenced to prison and get the elites are convinced and are trying to persuade the rest of the world that endemic racism is willy-nilly throwing black people in prison that is simply not the case.
9:12 pm
>> tucker: i can't resist pointing out that at the very moment when we are letting go free, roger stone is facing life in prison for, what? it's not even clear. so the political penalties that got stiffer but the penalties for violence and mayhem of almost disappeared in lot of cases. but again, there's no constituency for this outside of like small pockets of affluence on the coast. normal people are not for this. they never have been for it. so how do our leaders get away with it? >> well, the activists are for, academia is for it. again, the universities are the source of this narrative that says that everything about america today is defined and created by racism and i guess the public does not have a voi voice, but if we get a rise in crime like we did in the '90s, it is going to swing back again. right now we are living off of the law enforcement reforms that said policing matters, that
9:13 pm
incarceration matters, and we've gotten lazy. in the elites are back in the saddle, you know, and it's going to take a lot of thousands of more black lives lost to criminals who should be in jail before this gets turned around. >> tucker: may i ask you a quick question? bernie sanders, someone like him stands up and says the only reason these people are in jail is because the fourth which is just demonstrably false. i've never heard a republican candidate or any republican say that's just a flat out lie actually, we have the numbers, you're wrong. why are they never stand up for simple law and order? >> they're scared. they're absolutely terrified of the racism charge. i was at a house judiciary committee hearing that talked about the criminal justice system. i was very disappointed in the republicans, they just spouted bromides about our men and women in blue without actually combating the lie that the criminal justice system is racist. as for this idea that cash bail affects the poor, listen, in
9:14 pm
new york city, only 7% of misdemeanor arrestees have any kind of bail set for them and that's because they have long felony arrest records, and only .6% of misdemeanor arrestees are actually in jail because in fact most people are put on the streets anyway and so this bail reform or law as a solution in search of a nonproblem that is only going to create more crim crimes. >> tucker: there you go with your statistics and those spooky numbers. we appreciate it though. heather t macdonald, thank you so much. >> thank you, chris -- tucker. >> tucker: another presidential candidate dropped out of the race and once again the press is stressed. they are calling primary voters not bigots for not supporting him. m.are they? plus joe biden says putting coal miners out of work is no big deal, they should just learn to code. can lea they? that's next. amazing. ♪
9:15 pm
9:16 pm
9:17 pm
9:18 pm
looking to get your business off to a fast start in the new year? it's go time! switch to comcast business and get fast internet on the nation's largest gig-speed network. plus, complete reliability with 4g lte backup. and, cloud-based security to help protect the devices on your network. greenlight your business in 2020
9:19 pm
with fast internet and voice for $64.90 per month. switch now and get a $100 prepaid card when you add comcast business securityedge. call today. comcast business. beyond fast. ♪ >> tucker: there's an awful lot of news tonight, but we want to pause and acknowledge something that's happened in the democratic presidential race. julian castro is out. in other words, until this morning he was still running for president. if you would be forgiven if you could assume that he dropped out months ago, that's how effective his candidacy was. the only time ie got anyio attention was at the first democratic debate back in june ewhere he addressed the pressing problem, one of the biggest problems this country faces, how do biological men get abortions? he had an answer. >> i don't believe only inlo reproductive freedom, i believe in reproductive justice. and, what that means is that just because a woman or, let's
9:20 pm
not also forget someone in the trans community, a trans female, is poor, doesn't mean they shouldn't have the right to exercise that right to choose. >> tucker: so there was that. he won a vote or two without unusual argument. his other argument was that voters should vote for him based on -- the video announcing the dash open and closed with a line is spanish, full for me because of my background and because i speak spanish. the irony though is that julian castro actually can't iseak spanish. [laughs] with totally fraudulent. there's nothing wrong with not being able to speak spanish, actually, that's not a crime. anything, castro could have celebrated that as proof that immigrants assimilate into american society as they have for hundreds of years and that's a good thing, we used to before that. but division of actual assimilation has no currency in the modern democratic party. people are constantly divided up by skin color, nationality, gender, and language. so instead he had to play up his
9:21 pm
views on immigration, which honestly were kind of extreme. watch. >> instead of building a wall or closing the border we should choose compassion instead of cruelty. >> the feeling of this administration is we are in a full-blown crisis and that they are overwhelmed by it. how do you think about that? >> i don't believe there narrative. i don't believe the b.s.ul >> we should decriminalize people were coming here crossing the border. we need to increase the number of refugees that we take into this country, and if we're not careful, if we don't get this right, in 20 or 30 years this nation is going to be begging for immigrants i to come to this country. >> tucker: begging. and if you're not coming or not grateful, you're a bad person. as we said, he's out of the race and over at msnbc they are taking it t hard. some of the anchors pointed to castro's departure is just the latest evidence that the democratic primary electorate is racist.
9:22 pm
>> julian castro, the only latino running, and his campaign today leading the democrats even less diverse. following the earlier departure of senator kamala harris. as of now they are going to five white candidates on this next debate stage. it is not sustainable for the democratic party? >> tucker: dana perino is the first person we go to to figure out what's going on in this race. she hosts the daily briefing of course with dana perino, we are always great fun to have her. you keep hearing from democrats this grave disappointment in their own primary electorate suggesting that there bigots for supporting, i guess biden and bernie, what you make of that? >> i wonder if the media organizations are going to send out a bunch of reporters all the nation to find out what actually is happening in this country as they did after the 2016 election results. the thing about drilling castro is he gave the dnc convention piece back in 2012 and he became the candidate of tomorrow. but he was the of tomorrow for
9:23 pm
so long that it became yesterday. he never was able to get a foothold in the two things that you point out, the two major policy positions on abortion and on immigration, he never got enough support that those policies were actually scrutinized. if you think of someone like elizabeth warren and medicare for all, that got the full treatment but julian castro, ever since 2012 thought that he was going to be on that stage, may be the nominee. t i think that he will, though, be on the vp short-list. even if he really doesn't deserve to be, but his name will be on the list, but i don't know if they'll actually chosen because there's many other people that showed that they were able to get some base of support. >> tucker: you make such a smart point. if i got up and said, you know, if a biological men gets pregnant, i promise i'll pay for his abortion, i'd be left -- i probably lose my job, but he was so ignore that he could say that if people are like okay, whatever. >> that's when you know you're in real trouble. if you say something like
9:24 pm
that -- it's like if a tree falls in the forest, you say something like that on the debate stage and everyone goes it's just julian, who cares. >> tucker: you could just be insane and no one cares. this happened in new hampshire. joe biden explained how coal miners should adapt to having their jobs regulated out of existence, they should just learn to completely different procession though my profession from scratch. watch. >> i come from a family where -- an area where its coal mining, scranton. anybody could go down 300 to 3,000 feet in the mind and learn how to program as well. >> tucker: this struck me as so very similar to a line that we heard not very long ago basically dismissing the concerns of people whose industries, particularly the coal business, has been regulated out of existence. is that a wise thing, even for a democrat to say? >> i think you're talking about the hillary clinton comment in the 2016 campaign in which basically she was like celebrating the fact that they were going to try to put coal
9:25 pm
out of business. and then she have a deplorables line and she never really came back from that. i think the thing about joe biden is a lot of people will give him the benefit of the doubt and they think joe means well. he doesn't really -- he doesn't want us to be without drops. he cares about us. he has that, but there is an elitist attitude about coal that belies the entire democratic party. the truth is if he wants to win, he's going to have to try to win back some of those workers in the rust belt including coal workers. and i think that what he could have done since apparently america is in a mood to wildly spend on government programs, why not try to ratcheted up -- he could have said something like i'm going to commit $15 billion for this community specifically to help them, make sure they're taken care of it, et cetera. one thing that happened last week, the taxpayers are going to bail out a lot of the coal pensions because they were
9:26 pm
mismanaged by the executives, not the workers, but by the executives and guess who that's t on the hook for that? the taxpayers. joe biden doesn't do any of that, he bypasses that and says they could learn to code, which i think will come back to haunt him. >> tucker: so i just wonder quickly, that kind of tells you a lot about how that community is viewed in the democratic party. is it that hard ifew you're promising everybody a chunk of cash just to say that kentucky southwest virginia and west virginia -- but they can't, because they don't like those people. >> i think that showing that you have -- think about bill clinton, right? i feel your pain. didn't really, right?ue but people thought that he meant it when he said that. joe biden has the capability to be that kind of guy as well but what he said the other night was much more in line with sort of the fund-raising circuit for democrats. not the people circuit. >> tucker: yeah. dana perino, great to see you tonight, thank you. >> happy new year. >> tucker: happy newew year.
9:27 pm
so you were celebrating this past week with her family, but permanent washington was plotting yet another war in thet middle east.th tonight there seems to have been another big step toward that war. we will be asking a person dumb i question nobody seems to be raising, is it a good idea? what's happening tonight after the break. ♪ you become closed off. having to live with bad teeth for so long was extremely depressing. now, i know how happy i am. there was all the feeling good about myself that i missed and all of the feeling bad about myself that was unnecessary. at aspen dental, we're all about yes. like yes to free exams and x-rays for new patients without insurance. yes to flexible hours and payment options. and yes, whenever you're ready to get started, we are too. don't wait, book at aspendental.com or call today. a general dentistry office.
9:28 pm
robinwithout the commission fees. so, you can start investing today wherever you are - even hanging with your dog. so, what are you waiting for? download now and get your first stock on us. robinhood.
9:29 pm
9:30 pm
- do that are degrading?ideo tapes, film reels, or photos, legacybox professionally converts them to dvds, thumb drive, or the cloud. legacybox is simple and safe, with over half a million satisfied customers. visit legacybox.com today, and get 40% off.
9:31 pm
>> tucker: we have an unexpected fox news alert for you, something that has just happened in iraq, the situation
9:32 pm
they are heating up very quickly. without any debates here in washington. iraqi television has just confirmed that former general in iran's revolutionary guard and a commander hasei been killed in a rocket attack apparently initiated by the united states near the baghdad airport. along with a top official in the iraqi shiite militia. what were they doing in iraq? unclear. but his death comes several days after intentions kind of came out into the open in that country. last week as you know, american civilian contractor was killed by militants in iraq. u.s. government blamed that attack on iran and retaliated with the strikes. in response, protesters blockaded the u.s. embassy in baghdad. it basically where we were when the show started tonight. defense secretary mark esper warns that the united states prepared to launch a directional 3 to branch of military strikes against iranian interests in the region, which apparently are what we are seeing right now. there's been virtually no debate
9:33 pm
apparently towards a new middle east war. we have a official washington has wanted for decades. for example, disgraced national security advisor john bolton has made it his life's mission to start a war with iran and tybalt and maybe finally getting his wish. should you be happy about that? that's the question. well, the last time we took john bolton's advice in the region, iran became far more powerful than itan was before, before we took john bolton's advice. why? because things are never quite as simple as that we claim they are in washington. in this case, the very people demanding action against iran tonight, the ones telling you the persian menace is the ht we face are the very same ones demanding that you ignore the invasion of america now in progress from the south. the tens of millions of foreign nationals living among us illegally, the torrent, more significantly, of mexican narcotics that has killed and disabled entire generations of
9:34 pm
americans. nobody cares, in case you haven't noticed. pay no attention to all of that. these very same people tell us. the real threat is iran. while, they are liars and they don't care about you, they don't care about your kids, they are reckless and incompetent. and you should keep all of that in mind as war with iran looms closer tonight. heard milton, senior right the american conservative joins us tonight. so curt, this is unfolding even as we speak. where could it go from here? >> like you said, if you like the iraq war, we are back with the sequel, the iran war. i would say the deep concernan , look, a general in the iranian forces being assassinated is not necessarily something to mourn or begrudge the u.s. getting involved in. the question is though, is this a frans ferdinand moment? is this a situation where a great power gets involved with a middle tier power and gifts the world into a world war? iran, i think, is a problem for
9:35 pm
the u.s. and its allies in the region, but it is not an x essential threat to china or russia. o china or russia, particularly china, would love to see another decade or two of americans my age dying in the sand for no particular purpose. >> tucker: well, that's exactly it. it's not that anyone i think in the united states has particular affection for iran or trust the government, much less -- the original illusionary guard -- of course not, but it's the intemperance with which the foreign policy establishment in washington describes the threat thatar i think makes sensible people nervous, that iran is the greatest threat -- its prima facie absurd that it makes youon wonder what their actual agenda is. >> it's a joke. it's a joke. i think the real question is why do we still have troops there? so we see the baghdad embassy protest and to be clear, this is not just an embassy, this is a fortress. it's been a fortress since we took out saddam in 2003 and american troops there, if we are
9:36 pm
not going to re-annex the country are effectively hostages. they are sentfect there. so the question the president, why think rightfully ran into thousand 16 against the bush legacy. the question is does he want to re-invade iraq? i understand there are people in his cabinet that are selling him that iran is not iraq, but the fact of the matter t is, iran is quite similar to iraq. we are talking about iraq. 16 years later it still iraq in order to counter iran. i think the choice is clear, the president should contain iranian influence in the region, which should avoid a hot war, which we are barreling towards at all costs. >> tucker: so my sense of it is the president doesn't seek war andee he's wary of it, particularly in an election year, but i think he was elected on the promise that he would avoid wars except when absolutely necessary but there are a lot of people certainly in the city of washington who have been preparing for this, agitating for it, bolton is one of many.
9:37 pm
for an awfully long time, and you wonder if it's possible that he might be outmaneuveredg by them and that we might -- we might find ourselves moving towards war despite what the president wants. >> right. so i think the president of the united states and his convictions on this matter are sincere but i think it's relevant, particularly extremely relevant in matters of war and peace and life and death, who he stacks his administration with. i know bolton is above fair for you, but in some ways bolton, because he so flamboyant and so infamous and notorious, he actually was a bit of a problem for the iran hock crusade. more middleweight, more circumspect managers like robert steele brian, bolton's successor, might actually be more effective a trojan horse think what i think would be a tragedy in the middle east. iran is not iraq. it's twice as big. it would be twicece as bad. we are weaker than we were 16 years ago. if president george w. bush struggled to win reelection in
9:38 pm
2004, if trump does this, he's cooked. >> tucker: i think that's right. thank you for that. >> thanks. >> tucker: so you hear a lot from the left about how concerned about the environment they are, but you've noticed that those concerns have always conveniently dovetailed with acquiring more political power and questioning their political enemies. california some major wildfires this year and according to the nation magazine there isr a cler culprit, private home ownership is the problem. and we are quoting now. "the idealization of individual own ownership created the scorching landscapes we create dell maxi today. individual home ownership should be seriously question."se banning private home ownership? will that stop wildfires? let's fix the environment? how about building fewer shopping malls? no one ever thinks of that. no. it won't. it will make the government more powerful, it will make regular people less happy and less free and of course that is the point. victor davis hanson is a lifelong californian, a fellow at the hoover institution we are
9:39 pm
happy to have him tonight. professor, thanks a lot for coming on. do you think the wildfires besetting your state mean that people should not be allowed to own their own homes? >> it's a characteristic of the left that they envision natural and man-made disasters as opportunities to ram down agendas that we otherwise wouldn't vote for, and that's what rahm emanuel could never let aa crisis go to waste. i think w it was aoc's chief of staff to the new green deal was really not about climate change, but changing the american economy along socialist lines. this had nothing to do with climate change or fires. we had only gone up about 1 degree and a century in california. that's mostly because of asphalt and cement in our cities. precipitation hasn't changed. what it is about is that we have 100 million trees and underbrush that grew out of -- that died out of the 2014-116 drought. whenever hart arrested them for green reasons and the underbrush took over and pg&e, which was at one time as you are member of
9:40 pm
the california and the best utility in the united states, its ossified, it's calcified, it's overregulated, it's got all these green mandates, it's got to use expensive energy production. it doesn't have the capital to update its transmission lines and when i was a kid the wind didn't have much of a fact, it does now. and then finally and i think this is really important,s california's zoning laws have made a lot of -- places that were really habitable not open toy urbanization in the bay area or l.a. so people knew out two areas where they didn't used to live to find cheap places to live because everything is so expensive in california and when you have infrastructure -- rated about the worst in the nation, highways and bridges, and it's hard to get to these places of freeways. we haven't built a major reservoir since pneuma lotus dam in 1983. it's kind of a perfect storm and you know when state and local
9:41 pm
officials can't solve accidental problems, they blame other reasons and we can deal with homelessness, then you ban plastic bottles at san francisco airport. you can't deal with utility or wildflower -- wildfire damage, then you say climate change did and you've got to become socialist.co >> tucker: well, i mean is dysfunctional because it's crowded. and it'sna crowded because of their immigration policy and they won't admit that. if they did this, as you know. professor, thank you so much. >> thank you. >> tucker: so attacking home owners isou just one facetf the broader assault on normal people in this country.e the city in san francisco, progressives are working constantly to create their ideal vision of an american city but the opposite has been the effect, it is now unsafe, unhealthy, unaffordable, and for many, unlivable. it's a dystopia in a lot of ways, one of the most beautiful cities in our country. we sent a team of producers to temper cisco for an in-depth exclusive investigation into
9:42 pm
what iss happening there the effect it is having on the dwindling pool of middle-classre residents. a special series debuts next monday, continues all week. here's a short preview of what we found. ♪ ♪ >> filmy [bleep]. >> tucker: even the trailer is all too much. it's shocking what we found. up next, free speech may be dying in parts of america but adam corolla and dennis prager are ensuring that the first when at least go down fighting. their documentary is back in theaters and they join us next to talk about it. stay tuned. ♪ ♪
9:43 pm
9:44 pm
9:45 pm
9:46 pm
some things are too important to do yourself. get customized security with 24/7 monitoring from xfinity home. awarded the best professionally installed system by cnet. simple. easy. awesome. call, click or visit a store today.
9:47 pm
♪ >> tucker: freedom of speech is america's most distinctive right. it's a free country, remember? remembered they used to say that back when it was? it's also the most embattled of all of our rights varied in the name of safety and sensitivity a coalition of big tech monopolists, universities, and political activists are fighting to limit what you're allowed to say and punish those who stray outside the accepted boundaries. last year, comedian adam corolla, who is a genius, and radio host dennis prager, also kind of a genius, teamed up to release no safe spaces, a kind of brilliant documentary about the american anti-speech movement. here's part of it. >> israel sent me into the soviet union when i was 21 years old because i knew russian and hebrew and i was sent into smuggle out the names of jews that i would find in the soviet union and smuggle in religious items on someone and i
9:48 pm
really experienced what most people in the west have never, everpe experienced. life under a totalitarian regi regime. >> tucker: it's a great movie and if you want to see it in theaters, you still have a chance to do that. the film is having a limited release this weekend thanks to strong support from grateful viewers. adam corolla and dennis prager join us tonight. thanks paul for coming on. haven't talked to you since the film came out. start with you, adam. did anyone tell you that you're not allowed to say the things you said in the film? did the irony loop come comple complete? >> it is interesting when people are talking about free speech but it's free speech that they want to vet and make sure it's okay for them to hear before you can say it. i did notice the clip was all dennis prager, by the way, so i'm going to to have to get my publicist on this. >> this resentment is a very big problem. >> tucker: [laughs] >> it's a big problem.
9:49 pm
we enjoy each other too much. when looking for problems. >> yes. we are still kind of in the newlywed phase of our relationship. >> tucker: but even newlyweds, they may sublimate it, but there's usually tension. if you can identify one thingif that divides you bitterly, what would it be? >> he likes gefilte fish and i wouldn't feed that stuff to my cat. >> you said you did feed at -- >> i did feed it to my cat. >> and your cat liked it. i asked you specifically how it went over in the corolla home. he said the cat loved it. >> he gave me a jar of gefilte fish. >> did. >> by the way, fish isn't supposed to be in charge, just for your information, it supposed to be on i platters or above a fireplace in a hunting lodge. >> tucker: has the problem gotten better? >> no. >> gefilte fish is as bad as it's ever been.
9:50 pm
>> tucker: i think that there's any room for improvement there at all but the question of speech. do you think the country has become freer or less free in the last year? >> no.or if less free. there's no question. and you can -- there's an interesting proof. read the reviewers in the media.eam not to mention left-wing media on how they have contempt for the film. when the film features liberal after liberal, including president obama speaking about what's going on on campuses. but you can't even acknowledge that this is't going on when thy see the film, which is about the suppression of speech. >> i have a slightly different feeling on it. here's what i think. i feel like the pendulum is starting to swing back the other direction. i mean, the comedic community, and i feel a lot of my cohorts
9:51 pm
in the commonwealth starting to push back against it because there at their saturation level and if you like the group that started this thing is starting to double down on it. starting to really work at harding. sort of the same subject as racism. as racism fades from our society, a certain group is tripling down there efforts to make sure it is alive and well. or at least we think is alive and well. >> i think is right about the comedic community. outside of that i don't think it's true. san francisco 49ers color announcer and i'm not sure you could use that term any longer, simply said in describing the baltimore ravens quarterback, who is a terrific quarterback into his black, and he said there might be the slight half second advantage and a handoff because the ball is black and the uniform is black and he is black, so the offensive line doesn't see it quite as quickly. and the guy said you're a racist
9:52 pm
and unless he apologized profusely as in china in the cultural revolution, he would have lost his job. >> we know what you're talking about. >> defensive line. you are right. >> tucker: okay. but the point remains -- what about the people who are facing this problem -- not just famous people, but normal people who are under attack by the hr department on the hall? what's the right response forr them? should they go through mao's china routine where they apologize and beg for forgiveness or do they stand up for it? >> i don't know what adam's position is on this, but i think -- first of all, apologizing means that you think you were wrong. i don't know how people live with themselves when they are right and they publicly announced that they were wrong. it's so humiliating that i personally couldn't do it.
9:53 pm
>> i think we're going to have to do it this way because i do my own podcast, i have my own pirate ship, i have autonomy, i can say what i want. i don't have to apologize and thus are not asked to apologize because i never apologize. but for guys who do announcers for the 49ers, what are they to do? >> i know, it's a horrible dilemma. >> what we have to do is all stop apologizing at the same time. meaning there's one guy with a gun, we just have pool cues and we all need to charge him at once. if we do it one by one we will be taken out one by one. >> just let me remind people because it is a great film, "no safe spaces" and they can find out where it's playing. >> tucker: and i think it will. good to see you both tonight, thank you. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> tucker: some months after jeffrey epstein's death, however that occurred, his alleged fixer is stillve free. where is she? no reports tonight about where
9:54 pm
and who is protecting her. remarkable story. trace gallagher fills us in after thee break. ♪
9:55 pm
9:56 pm
9:57 pm
9:58 pm
>> tucker: well, according to multiple sources, ghislaine maxwell was jeffrey epstein's fixer, a person who facilitated his abuse of teenage girls. but since epstein's death, maxwell has rarely appeared in public and has not been charged with any crime.de according to a new report, that's not an accident. apparently, she's being protected.rd t
9:59 pm
chief breaking news correspondent trace gallagher has more on this story. hey, trace. >> hey, tucker. the question has long lingered about whether his ex-girlfriendi and confidante ghislaine maxwell would face charges for recruiting and grooming these young girls for underaged sex. but our corporate cousin, "the new york post" says for now, she's untouchable. with a source saying "ghislaine is protected." she and jeffrey were assets of sorts for multiple foreign governments. they would trade information about the powerful people caught in his net -- caught at epstein's house, adding, quoting here, she is not in the u.s., she moves around.op she is sometimes in the u.k., but most often in other countries, such as israel, where her powerful contacts have provided her with safe houses and protection. and separately, we should note,o a friend of ghislaine maxwell tells "the sun" newspaper she has enough dirt on those powerful contacts that she expects to avoid any prosecution at all. tucker? >> tucker: a little test to whether the justice is real. trace gallagher, thank you so much.
10:00 pm
good to see you. well, that's itll for us. we'll be back tomorrow, s 8:00 p.m., the show that is the sworn enemy of lying, pomposity, smugness, and groupthink. good night. "hannity" is next. the great jason chaffetz is sitting in for sean tonight. >> jason: thank, tucker. always good for you to pronounce my name properly. huge win for me. >> tucker: i can do that. >> jason: welcome to "hannity." sean.son in tonight for president trump took decisive action this week. after a group of iranian backed shiite militia stormed the u.s. embassy in baghdad, the president's show of force deploying our brave armed men to the region to secure the facility, made it very clear, there will be no benghazi on his watch, and iran will be held accountable. and breaking just moments ago and according to multiple reports, the head of iran's kudi force has been killed in an air strike at baghdad's international airport. d

30 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on