Skip to main content

tv   Hannity  FOX News  April 21, 2012 12:00am-1:00am EDT

12:00 am
>> what the mainstream media, that's vet the president here on "hannity." i'm liz cheney in tonight for sean. no other president has disparaged this country like barack obama, his message to voters is clear -- our government favors the rich and turns its back on the poor. here's the president in his own words. >> we settle for a country where a shrinking number of people do really well, while a growing number of americans barely get by. or we can restore an economy where everyone gets a fair shot and everyone does their fair share and everyone plays by the same set of rules. fair play and shared responsibility will help protect our people and our economy. pay our fair share of taxes. paying my fair share of taxes, paying my fair share of taxes. if everybody is getting a fair shot, everybody has a chance to
12:01 am
do better. we can build an economy that gives everybody a fair shot. when we talk about everybody paying their fair share, americans who can afford it should pay their fair share. fair play and shared responsibility. i think that's a fair approach. american who is can't afford it should pay their fair share. fair play and shared responsibility! that's what we are about! >> a lot of empty rhetoric. but to remedy his so-called fairness deficit, the president is calling on congress to pass the buffett rule. >> when we have debates now about the buffett rule that we have been talking about where we say if you make a million dollars a year or more, you shouldn't pay a lower tax rate than your secretary. that is not an argument about redistribution, that's an argument about growth. >> my next guest says the president's support for the buffett rule has little to do with growth, it's about politics
12:02 am
and winning that second term in office. here to explain is fox news contributor, charles krauthammer. hi, charles. thank you for being on this evening. >> it's a pleasure to be with you. >> i feel like, in full disclosure, i am the president of your fan club. >> that's great. i appreciate that very much. i hope that swiss bank is paying your annual salary, regularly, the way it should. >> thank you. we are maul, but we are quality. >> exactly. >> charles, this issue of fairness in the buffett rule, the president has gone even farther. we have a quote from last september, we can put up on the screen, where he claims, essentially, that the basic principle of fairness, by which he means the buffett rule, if applied to our tax codes... >> sounds really incredible.
12:03 am
>> it is literally incredible. it is almost an embarrassment, it is so shameless. if you were to collect the buffett tax for the next 250 years, that's longer than the life of this republic, you will not have covered the deficit, obama's deficit for 2011. you collect it for another 250 years, so we are now in the year 2612, have you covered 2011 and 2012 and you need to cover only 498 other years of deficit. this is a preposterous statement. he know its. also on growth, it is equally deceptive. what the tax is, it's a doubling of the capital gains tax. it is disguised, but that's the reason why the buffett rates are lower, it's the capital gains rate and lower than the rate for normal income. he double its. the reason that's not a good idea is because when you double the rate, you actually decrease the amount that the treasury receives.
12:04 am
and you decrease the growth because you are clinking the pool of capital that is out there that people can invest and hire other people. the reason we are in an economic boom after the kennedy tax cuts and the reagan cuts, 20 years later, it's precisely that they cut rates and decly that they cut capital gains rates. but obama is so obsessionsed with his notion of fairness, when he was asked in 2008, in one of the interviews with -- i think it was in one of the debates i. i think we have that video, charles. >> would you like to show it. >> let's show the clip from a debate, exactly n2008, where he is asked about the historical fact of the impact of raising capital gains taxes. >> actually, bill clinton in 1997 signed legislation that dropped the capital gains tax to 20%. >> right. >> and george bush has taken it down to 15% inform each instance, when the rate dropped, revenues from the tax increased.
12:05 am
the government took in more money. in the 1980s, when the tax was increased to 28%, revenues went down. so why raise it at all, especially given the fact that 100 million people in this country own stock and would be affected. >> what i have said is that i would look at raising the capital gains tax for purposes of fairness. >> so he really seems not to care that it will have a negimpact on revenue that. >> shows that this show is spontaneous, that's the famous line where he basically says, i am going to raise the rate, even if it decreases the amount of revenue. this is insane. the purpose of taxation is to raise rev new and to pay for stuff that the government has to do. that's the only reason that the government swipes your money. he is saying i will raise the rates even if it decreases the amount because of this abstraction i have, which means i want to take the money from the rich and distribute it elsewhere and think that somehow
12:06 am
it's going to help the general economy. it makes no sense. look, what's the reason he is doing all of this? it's a misdirection play. it's a way to have the shiny object. he doesn't want to talk about what he has done. he has had the longest over 8% unemployment since the great depression. he has the slowest and most anemic recovery any of recession since the second world war and accumulated in one term, the greatest amount of debt -- $5 trillion in galactic history soa. he can't run on that. so he has a shiny ball and hoo will say, look over here, so he doesn't have to speak about his record, which has been an economic disaster. >> well, have you also made the point, charles, that it's a dereliction of duty. he has a distraction while we are headed to a near-term debt crisis. so if you look at what he is doing, it is beyond politicking on an issue that doesn't matter t. has great significance.
12:07 am
>> in a sense, it could be historically tragic. we have one leg occupant europe aps, who are way ahead of us in the entitlement state syndrome and are in a debt explosion. we have a few years because we are less of an entitlement state, precious years. obama has spoken about this, how the rate of debt is unsustainableful so he appoints a commission and completely ignores its recommendations. the republicans have stuck their necks out, gone out on a limb, proposing the ryan budget, which would cut spending, lower tax rates while broadening the base, cutting exemptions and does entitlement reform, which everyone knows is where the money is and will save our economy. obama has want done a thing on that. the only thing he's done is to savagely attack the ryan plan and claim that republicans want to throw orphans and widows in the snow and protect the rich and do nothing else.
12:08 am
that's his argument. he meant done anything for a debt crisis that we can see coming and that he has left completely untouched in a very, very irresponsible way. >> and the cbo said just today that his budget for 2013 will add $3.9 trillion to the deficits over the next 10 years. it is a very troubling picture. but thank you very much, charles, for being with us. >> pleasure. >> you can guess who is to blame for the recent north korean missile launch? team obama is blaming his favorite scapegoat. and john bolton responds, next. then, george zimmerman takes the stand in florida. we'll show what you he said to we'll show what you he said to trayvon martin's [ male announcer ] this is the land of giants.
12:09 am
12:10 am
♪ home of the brave. ♪ it's where fear goes unwelcomed... ♪ and certain men... find a way to rise above. this is the land of giants. ♪ guts. glory. ram. [ crunches ] mmm. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ [ male announcer ] pringles... bursting with more flavor. [ crunch! ]
12:11 am
12:12 am
>> liz: it's a tired old tactic, we have been hearing from president obama and his team since 2008 -- blame bush. with the president not being able to run on his record, three years later, everything is george bush's fault. and the white house is blaming the former president over north korea's failed missile launch last week. while the president wants to blame george bush, he has made a habit for taking credit for his predecessor's examples. the troop surge in iraq is now in the team obama win column. remember when vice-president biden said this? >> i am very optimistic about --
12:13 am
about iraq. i think it's going to be one of the great achievements of this administration. >> liz: and it goes on. for example, bin laden may be been killed under president obama's watch, but it was the bush/cheney program that led to intelligence that helped us find osama bin laden. techniques that barack obama strongly denounced. joining me is ambassador john bolton. thanks for joining us this evening. >> glad to be here. >> liz: as i go through that whole list, i think to myself, it's sort of the audacity of audacity. to the extent that there have been foreign policy successes, they are built on policies of the last administration. i am wondering, did they say thank you and i missed it somehow? >> no. i don't think you missed anything. the killing of osama bin laden is a perfect example. it's the cornerstoren of the obama re-election argument that foreign policy's off the table because laden's dead and anwar
12:14 am
al-awlaki is dead and saddam hussein is dead. and the only thing that obama did with bin laden is get out of the way. you can say that bin laden was killed while president obama was president, but not because he was president. all the steps, beginning with the intelligence gathering and the preparation and the planning for the navy seal, all of it was in train since 9/11. and that's like richard nixon in 1969, taking credit for americans landing on the moon. >> liz: let's talk about iran, for just a second, john. have you had the former national security adviser, jim jones, say just recently that iran, in fact, could be contained as we have contained other nations with nuclear weapons. we know now that talks with the iranians have been scheduled to resume on may 23. you have people from the
12:15 am
administration saying this is evidence of huge success, but it looks to me like basically we have got about 5 weeks for the iranians to continue their program, unobstructed. >> no. i think it's been clear for sometime that the obama administration doesn't really put a priority on stopping iran from getting nuclear weapons. they say that's their policy. but for 3 1/2 years, they haven't done anything to materially restrain iran's ability to achieve that objective. in fact, if you look at the pressure that they have put on israel, not to take military action against iran, you would have to say that obama fears an israeli strike against the iranian program more than he fears an iranian nuclear weapon. it's because what have jim jones and others have said. the obama people believe -- delusionally, in my view -- that you can cobtain and deter a nuclear run. i think that's crazy. >> liz: at the same time, we have the president in south
12:16 am
korea, whispering, basically to president medvedev that, in fact, he is going to have more flexibility on missile defense after the election. i notice that you said recently that our missile defense cannot rely on the kind of misfires that the north koreans experienced. how concerned are you when you hear the president saying he's willing to be flexible on that critical part of our national security? >> you know, i think that overheard conversation is just the epitomy of what to worry about in an obama second term. indeed, even in the conversation with medvedev, obama said, beyond missile defense, there would be flexibility as well. this is what happens if high is re-elected and never has to worry about those pesky voters anymore. he has pursued extraordinarily dangerous schemes when it comes to america's security. massive, unbelievable budget cuts in the defense department and in the intelligence services. i think he is perfectly prepared to see them happen because he's mistrustful of american power,
12:17 am
doesn't think we need it. he has pursued policies of withdrawal from iraq and afghanistan that are going to leave us more vulnerable to both terrorism and nuclear proliferation. across the board, this is a president who is comfortable with american decline and weakness. believe me, our adversaries understand it very well. >> liz: yeah. we have had presidents in the past, obviously who, have been bad foreign policy presidents. but in your view, john, have we had president who is seemed dedicated to 9 notion that it was important to limit american power that, america's role in the world ought to be constrained, as opposed to encouraged? >> i think he's the first one who has been able to implement it in so many perilous ways. certainly, he's very close philosopheically to michaeldi dukakis, jimmy carter -- dukakis, never elected. cart her his own problems. obama because of the maimplts in the first two years in particular, was able to ram
12:18 am
through the new start arms control, through the senate, very detrimental to american national security, the budget cuts because of the horrendous sequestration deal cut on the hill, are going to have dramatically negative effects on our military capabilities all around the world. i think in a second term, obama's multi-laterallism, his affinity for international law and organizations will really come to the fore. i think he has been constrained in the first term because of the fear of the political consequences. i think it's katie bar the door in the second term. >> liz: have you done important work on the damage that this president has done to american sovereignty. i think that's something that people don't focus on or understand, but it's very real, as he continues to embrace international organizations that don't put america first. >> the u.s. sums up sovereignty very well in the first three words of the constitution -- we the people. so when you hear suggestions to
12:19 am
pool or share sovereignty, you are talking about pooling american power over decisions that affect their own lives and that is a very dangerous direction to pursue, in my view. >> liz: in your view, as you look at what is going to happen, hopefully, we will have a new president in january of next year, what are the first things that the secretary of state needs to do? >> well, i think, absolute priority has got to be to deal with the iranian and north korean nuclear weapons programs. if for 3 years plus, unfortunately, even going back into the bush administration, i think these programs have been allowed to proceed in a very dangerous fashion. if iran gets nuclear weapons, it won't stop there. other country it's saudi arabia, egypt, turkey, perhaps others in the region will get nuclear weapons and the world will get progressively more dangerous. at the same time, the war on terror goes on, despite the president's unwillingness to recognize it. we have more and more assertive russia and a rising china. we have no strategy to deal with
12:20 am
them, even on our border, we see civil society in mexico collapsing because of the drug cartels. the president hasn't wanted to talk about national security for the last 3 years. but just because he's not talking about it doesn't mean the problems haven't been growing around the world. i think president romney, assuming he is elected, will have a very pull plate, even while he is trying to get the domestic economy going again. >> liz: all the more reason we have to make sure that the next president, president romney, takes office in next year, not in four years. thank you. >> thank you. >> liz: in an unusual move, george zimmerman took the stand today in his bond hearing in florida and spoke directly to the parents of trayvon martin. we will play you the tape. later, sean sat down with a controversial artist this painting, which shows president follow the wings.
12:21 am
the capital one cash rewards card gives you a 50% annual bonus. and who doesn't want 50% more cash? ugh, the baby. huh! and then the baby bear said, "i want 50% more cash in my bed!" phhht! 50% more cash is good ri... what's that. ♪ you can spell. [ male announcer ] the capital one cash rewards card. the card for people who want 50% more cash. what's in your wallet? ha ha. ♪ monarch of marketing analysis.
12:22 am
with the ability to improve roi through seo all by cob. and you...rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle... and go. you can even take a full-size or above, and still pay the mid-size price. i'm going b-i-g. [ male announcer ] good choice business pro. good choice. go national. go like a pro. and now i build them. i am a bigger is better kind of guy. i absolutely love building locomotives. i knew i wanted to design locomotives from when i was very young. [ jahmil ] from the outside it looks like such a simple device. when you actually get down into the bare bones of it, there's so much technology that's submerg. [ rob ] my welds are a signature, i could tell my welds apart from anybody's. you lay down that nice bead and you look at it, i love it. they don't go together by themselve there are a lot of little parts, and everyone has their job.
12:23 am
[ scott ] i'd love to see it out there on the open tracks. and when i e it, i'm gonna know that i helped build that thing. [ train whistle blows ] here she comes! [ bell clanging ] [ train whistle blows ] wow! [ charlie ] well, it's one thing seeing them built, but then to see them out here, pulling freight across america, it makes us proud. ♪
12:24 am
>> liz: there are several developments in the case. shooting debet of the unarmed teen trayvon martin by george zimmerman. the judge announced that george zimmerman will be released on $150,000 bail. however, he will be required to wear a gps monitoring device.
12:25 am
also today na highly unusual move, george zimmerman took the stand. listen to what he said to the parents of trayvon martin. >> i wanted to say i am sorry for the loss of your son. i did not know how old he was. i thought he was a little bit younger than i am and i did want know if he was armed or not. >> did you ever make statement to the police, sir? >> notice, sir. >> that you were sorry for the loss? >> you never stated that, did you? >> i don't remember what i said. i think i did say that. >> you told that to the police? >> in one of the statements, i said i felt sorry for the family. >> did you? >> yes, sir. >> why did you wait so long to tell mr. martin and the victim's mother -- father and mother, why did you wait so long to tell them? >> i was told not to communicate with them. >> okay. so even through your attorney, you didn't ask to do it right away. your former attorneys or
12:26 am
anything. >> i did ask them to express that to them. they said that they were going to. >> reporter: the attorneys for trayvon's parents say george zimmerman's apology was self-serving and, quote, unmeaningful. abc news has obtained what they claim is a photo of the back of zimmerman's head, taken moments after the shooting. the bloody image could support the claim that zimmerman was acting in self-defense. joining me are faith jenkins and a criminal defense attorney, rebecca rose woodland. thank you. faith, let's start with that photo. there was criticism today of the prosecution, for potentially failing to include the photo in the affidavit that they filed. what's your sense of that? did they have an obligation to include that? >> no, they don't. when you see probable cause affidavits, you never see prosecutors inserting a defendant's claim of self-defense. so i think it's common that you see the minimal facts asserted,
12:27 am
just enough to make the probable cause and surpass that test. >> liz: it is not your sense that they have an obligation to include all relevant material, that they can't exclude something that looks to be exculpatory. >> as a former prosecutor, vinever seen an affidavit where a pos curet put in a defense for a defendant, for purposes of probable cause. >> liz: rebecca? >> it is not necessarily a defense for probable cause here because the florida starned stand your ground law is the law that we are looking at here. so is it a defense for probable cause? or is it something law enforcement should have looked at and go they look at it in determining not to proceed initially, until there was public pressure here? what we are looking at. >> liz: let's talk about the stand your ground law. this is the crux of the case. it has to do with authorization to use force, including deadly
12:28 am
force, if in fact, zimmerman had reason to believe fhe had been attacked and he had a reasonable belief that he was in serious danger here. so in terms of your experience in florida, what's your sense of what the courts have held in the past, in terms what have could constitute that reasonable belief. >> i practice in new york. but i am fully briefed on briefe florida law here. not only the stand your ground law, which we are talking about -- which was the reason police did not continue -- they investigated. they closed the investigation and they said, look, we have come to the conclusion that there was some sort of a self-defense issue here. and stand your ground says, do not proceed. dont prosecute. not only that, if you look at the second-degree murder charge, there is a complete justification, if there was a sudden combat. so, i mean i think it's awfully difficult to say that the prosecution shouldn't have
12:29 am
included that photo. if that photo exists in their possession -- we are not sure, we just than abc news has it. but there is an understanding from their investigator that there was some sort of understanding that he did have these lacerations on his head. that should have been, in my opinion, that should have been part of their package. >> liz: what's your sense, as a prosecutor here, looking through the evidence and the facts and putting together her affidavit. what would she have had to find in order to bring this charge of second-degree murder? >> well, that he acted with such i -- a disregard and that he intended to kill. he -- it may not have been premeditated. i don't think they think it was, but i think that once he was in that scenario, he actually acted and intended to kill trayvon martin. now, i think the issue here is that the prosecutor doesn't believe george zimmerman's story. we heard in the hearing today,
12:30 am
that there are inconsistencies in his story. we heard a few facts about that. listen, the truth doesn't change. the truth remains the same. it is what it is. this case is really, especially in the immunity hearing, it's going to rise and fall on george zimmerman's testimony, whether or not the judge believes him and if there are inconsistencies there, that is going to hurt him tremendous,ly, when there were only two people vivid involved and one is dead and the other is having a problem keeping the story straight. >> there are a number of witnesses that we have heard about in the press that have had some -- some understanding of what happened that night. >> yes. >> liz: i was surprised today, frankly, to see, watch the hearing, rebecca, that hugeorge zimmerman's family have to testify over the phone. when you look at sort of the threats that have been out there, you know, understandably, we all feel great pain for trayvon trayvon martin's parents and their loss. >> of course.
12:31 am
>> liz: but given the threats that the new black panther party has a bounty on his head, do you think george zimmerman can get a fair trial in florida? >> i am hoping he can. no one wants to see a 14-year-old man, shot and killed. but we all nide to wait and listen to the evidence. what actually happened there? how did this happen? it was something that there was a retreat and then maybe there was a sudden combat? again, we are not saying that anything is justified in a moral sense. but in a legal sense, let's not make this man out to be a monster until we find out what the facts are and until we have a jury. and i do building because i have tried so many cases, i do believe that very good american citizens will sit and listen, fairly -- >> i hope they do. >> i think the initial outrage was because george zimmerman wasn't arrested. i think now that he's been arrested and people see that the process, the justice system is moving, the wheels of justice are turning, you are not really
12:32 am
hearing a lot of this ugly rhetoric we heard from a lot of people. but i think that people are starting to realize, let the process work, which is what everyone should be doing. >> liz: i think it's very difficult, especially in this era of the internet and the dwor-hour news cycle, but our system really requires that we not try people on television. >> right. >> no one wins. this is an unfortunate case. you feel sympathy for george zimmerman and his family and for the martins and their family because it's just a sad situation. >> i think we do have to recognize that the zimmerman family is getting so many death threats, his wife had to leave the state. so this is an active, aggressive sort of nature towards the zimmermans. >> liz: exactly. don't go anywhere, the great ♪ [ man ] when i went to get my first new car, my dad said to get a subaru because they last.
12:33 am
♪ he drives a legacy, but i'm nothing like him. i got the new impreza. maybe i should have picked a different color... [ male announcer ] the all-new subaru impreza. experience love that last ♪ experience love that last let's start with car insurance x. this one does save people a lot of money and it's very affordable. it was very delicious. could you please taste car insurance y? this one is much more expensive. ugh. it's really bad. let's see what you picked. oh, geico! over their competitor. you are a magician right? no., oh. you're not?, no., oh, well, give it a shot. i am so, so sorry. it was this close.
12:34 am
12:35 am
12:36 am
>> liz: he's a member of the
12:37 am
"wall street journal" board and writer of best of the web column, james taranto. she's a professor of political science and law at vanderbilt and author of "be the people," carol swain joins us. a democratic pollster and fox news contributor, author of "hopelessly divided," sloan shown. let's talk about the veep stakes. everybody's putting lists together and most of the people on the lists are all saying, no, no, not me. why is that? >> the worst thing you can do is say yes because if you say yes, there is extraordinary scrutiny and questioning. marco rubio has had a few questions asked. he is at the top of anybody's list. the best thing for him to do is to do what he's done. rob portman is also at the top of the list because there is a very close race. it will come down to ohio and florida and they are the most likely in my opinion. >> liz: what did you make of jeb
12:38 am
bush basically not saying no, saying if he got the phone call, he would consider it? >> i think that's wise, otherwise he would not have been considered. i hear a lot of people saying that the republicans have to place a minority on the ticket and rube rubio would be great because the hispanics will vote for the republicans. i think that's foolish reasoning. i think they should be looking for the strongest possible vice-presidential candidate. and that should not play, you know, racial politic and diversity. they should be looking for the best person for the job. >> liz: what's your sense, james, as you look around the web, every day and you watch what people are saying? where is this headd? you think that governor romney's going to pick somebody before the convention? >> i imagine he will pick somebody shortly before the convention. that's the way it usually goes. i have to say, i am leaning more toward thinking the best choice would be portman or paul ryan of
12:39 am
wisconsin because they are both quite experienced. they are solid and conservative. i think there is something to be said -- i agree with carol's point, i don't think we want to pick a minority for the sake of picking a minority. i don't think we want to pick somebody for his carisma -- charisma, that's what we have now. we want romney to have a serious ticket with serious men -- and portman and ryan also do very well in the suburbs, in their respective swing states. >> i don't think there is a chance that it would be paul ryan. bottom line, it be electric a fight about entitlements. if you think the fairness issue now is large, it will be far worse. the upstate congressional race last year, the... bi-election was a referendum on ryanful he lost. there is nothing in his plan to suggest the same thing won't happened. portman's a real player. ryan, i think is doa. >> to stop ryan, put him in the
12:40 am
vice presidency. >> liz: how much do you think it matters at the end of the day? i like to think it matters. but at the end of the day, how much does a vice-presidential candidate really matter? >> for a lot of real conservatives with questions about romney, i am not sure that those questions would be erased by his picking someone, you know, that was really, really conservative because if you look at joe biden, he is not had that much influence -- or it seems, on washington-- >> reporter: not according to joe biden. >> well, i mean, it doesn't look like he has had very much influence on what has taken place. i like jeb bush. and i think he could attract the hispanic vote. he has the qualifications. and that would be a safe choice. >> liz: doug, what do you think in terms of the process that have you watched in the past
12:41 am
unfold? who has had the best v.p. selection process? >> i think the best process. vito be biased. go back to my old boss, bill clinton. i thought when he picked al gore on the bus tour, it was a generational, out-of-the-box pick. they fit together and galvanized america. those are the choices that work best. james, i think it will come late because when it comes late, it provides short-term momentum in the polls, which in a close race, romney will need. >> liz: it's time to check in with greta van susteren to see what he has "on the record" tonight. >> we have a spectacular show. it's a big day tomorrow for senator orrin hatch. some people are trying to bump him off the ticket. there is a big event in utah. so we have orrin hatch. and the legal panel is here. and it's friday night, they the best thing on friday night. we have that and much more, back to you, liz.
12:42 am
>> liz: thanks, greta. more with our great american more with our great american panel, right after the break.
12:43 am
12:44 am
more with our great american panel, right after the break. are you still sleeping? just wanted to check and make sure that we were on schedule. the first technology of its kind... mom and dad, i have great news.
12:45 am
is now providing answers families need. siemens. answers.
12:46 am
>> liz: i think you will all be surprised -- or maybe you won't be surprised, doug, to hear what nancy pelosi had to say about the first amendment recently. let's listen to that. >> we have a clear agenda. disclose, research the system, reducing it is role of money in campaigns, and amend the constitution to rid of it this -- ability for special interests to use secret, unlimited, huge amounts of money, to go into campaigns. >> liz: so we are going to amend the constitution in order to limit freedom of speech. is that -- >> we are going do get rid of super pacs because they are rigging democracy. a few people, shelledong adelson are hijacking our system -- shelledden and foster freeze
12:47 am
don't have the right to speak. >> they have the right to speak, but not through secret groups. they are putting massive sums in and your vote and my vote counts lests than their money. >> that is totally ridiculous. if it were not for those groups, given the obama administration's control over the mainstream media, the rest of us would not have a voice. so i am thankful that there is avenues that other people can be heard. >> but this constitutional amendment that jim mcgovern wants to propose, this is not just to limit the super pacs and to curtail free speech. this is really a radical, evil proposal. what it would say is that nobody can assert any rights under the constitution except in one's capacity asap individual. so it would wipe out the first amendment, all the other amendments in the bill of rights, the protection of bills of detainer and so forth. what we are doing now because we
12:48 am
are doing this in the corporate building, you should the aegis of a news corp, the government would have authority to regulate what we are doing now -- no, no! read the amendment! [overlapping dialogue] >> liz: just a second. >> my sense is that we are in a system now where, jame, we don't have a democracy -- we have ultimately wealthy people -- obama doesn't control the media. i don't like his presidency, but he is not running the media -- >> but it would be able to, or the government would be able to under this amendment -- from any kinds of organization. it would say that corporations couldn't assert rights under the constitution. read the amendment! >> liz: you know, it is not surprising to me that the democrats are looking to limit speech, if you look at what senator mansion said recently. i think we have this quote. he said...
12:49 am
>> isn't what the system is about, shouldn't we have independent voices in the senate? >> liz: don't you think he has a problem if he has one -- >> of course, he has a problem. he is even or slightly behind. he is getting negative ratings on the economy and 62% of the people say the countedry's heading in the wrong direction. the republican party is consolidating and we are looking at an election that could be like 1980, best-case for president obama, is it will be like 2004 and the manchin comment shows it, sure. >> liz: do you think the problems he's having in west virginia have to do with policies? it is not just that the republicans are doing well, but his policies are hurting working
12:50 am
people? >> yes, west virginia is a special case, it's a democratic state that has moved republican quite sharply in 20 years. the ticket your father was was the first non-republican ticket to carry since herbert hoover. if manchin is thinking about voting against obama, maybe he's just a dog person. >> liz: that's good that you worked that in. do you see the president being able to come back and do something that will reach out to the voters of west virginia, for example? >> i think that given the way this administration operates, that it will do -- whatever -- by any means necessary -- they will give people what they think will persuade them to vote. there is deception -- [overlapping dialogue] >> liz: thank you very much. i appreciate all of your time today. coming up, sean sat down with the highly controversial artist
12:51 am
who created a painting of president obama burning the u.s. constitution. the artist explains to sean why the artist explains to sean why he's standing by i'm gonna take allison jenkins to the senior prom in this. one day, i'll park this in a spot reserved for me. it's got 26,0 miles on it now, but i'm gonna take it to a thousand million. [ male announcer ] when you own a certified pre-owned mercedes-benz, chances are they'll own it one da too. which is why it undergoes such a rigorous inspection to meet our uncompromising standards. one day, i'm gonna drive this to vegas. [ male announcer ] hurry in to your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for 1.99% financing during our certified pre-owned sales event through april 30th. during our certified pre-owned sales event good gravy, bill. our insurance company doesn't have anything like it. magnificent, isn't it? with progressive, it's easy to cover all of your favorite rides. progressive has truck insurance? number one in truck and motorcycle. is that a golf cart? yep. we also cover rvs, boats, atvs. anything else i can help you with?
12:52 am
-can i take a ride? -you need a ticket -- -i'm first! -and that's by the water slide. okay. no running. oh, dear. save on all your rides. now, that's progressive. call or click today.
12:53 am
12:54 am
>> liz: welcome back to hant. outrage has been brewing over a highly controversial painting,
12:55 am
called one nation under socialism. it depicts president obama holding a burning u.s. constitution. despite the intense scrutiny, the artist is standing by his work. sean sat down with the painter and asked him about the painting >> sean: joining us now, you brought my new painting. look at that. how are you? >> doing good. >> sean: it says one nation under socialism. >> yes, indeed. >> sean: all right. already, i'm getting hammered for buying the painting. you're hammered for paining it. here it is. the u.s. constitution, barack obama burning it. i would think liberals would be very angry with this picture. >> they are very angry. it's a double standard is what it is. i am not trying to impress the art critics. i paint for myself. >> sean: you like that this works in reverse. your paintings do get a lot of criticism and you do get
12:56 am
attacked. you have amazing religious drawings and you delved into the political world. >> everything started for me when... the 2008 election rolled around and john mccain got the nomnomination. i was really frustrated because i'm a conservative. so i did one nation under god. the next one was the forgotten man and that happened when they passed obamacare. we know what's going on with that now. so it's just been a continuation my art is very emotional for me. it's an outlet to express how i feel about the country. so these paintings really resonate. >> sean: when i saw this, i said wow because this is how i feel. we saw this even recently issue attacking supreme court justices. he never heard of separation paver powers.
12:57 am
or obamacare -- the very constitutionality of itself. when you were painting this, what was your intention? it's called one nation under socialism. >> my intention was that when people see the painting that they think about the choice that we are going on make in november. do you want a country that is free under the constitution or do you want to choose one nation under socialism? that's the choice. you upon, this painting has a lot of siewtletes. in the flames, there is the word obey. i don't know if you can-- wait a minute. >> i can't. >> you know on google where they make -- >> there is an o.-- o. and a b. on the bottom, the flames, it's like the outline of the bottom part of the united states, going up in flames. there is texas and it comes
12:58 am
around here-- very clever. >> the hammer and the sickle, the sign of socialism. it's subtle. there is more things in it. i didn't want to reveal it right away. a painting should have layers. >> sean: there are things i am going to discover over time. >> the painting on the back side-- you just showed me. another one of my favorites is one nation under god. this is a picture -- do you a lot of beautiful religious paintings. >> thank you? >> explain this one. >> that's a especially and painting. i painted that because i believe the constitution is divinely inspired. not everybody feels that way. and i do, as an artist -- i agree with you, by the way. >> good. he's holding the constitution, but behind him are the patriots of the past. they're speak from this dust. you can see the dust coming up. but the -- one of the most important parts is the foreground with the living americans. right now, our country is
12:59 am
divided. i feel like we are at a tipping point-- i agree with you there. >> you have the americans that believe in the constitution, believe in limited government. on the other side, have you those who are more confused. i wanted to create a metaphor for different types of americans. again, i wanted it to be a painting where people could think about what it means and they could get lost in the painting, thinking about the different symbols and for those who are willing to take the time and go to my web site and put their cursor on different people, it pops up and tells them what it means? >> great. thank you for being with us. thank you for the painting. i love t. thank you. appreciate you being here. >> thank you. >> liz: that's all the time we have left this evening. thank you for being with us. >> greta: tonight, out of control, embarrassing, shameful -- is that the new image of our federal government? from the

138 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on