Skip to main content

tv   Prime News  HLN  July 15, 2009 5:00pm-7:00pm EDT

5:00 pm
major developments today in the murder case of the florida couple who were parents of 17 kids. now the dea is involved, and place say the suspects trained for 30 days, but didn't count on this. the person supposed to turn off the surveillance cameras never showed up. now police are on the hunt. plus, a year ago today, caylee anthony's grandmother made this panicked 911 call. >> there's something wrong. i found my daughter's car today and it smells like there's been a dead body in the damn car. >> little caylee had been missing more than a month before grandma made that casey still b. are we any closer to justice for little caylee? we love hearing from you. call in, 1-877-tell-hln is the
5:01 pm
number. e-mail us cnn.com/primenews or text us at hlntv, just start your message with the word prime. it's your chance to be heard. welcome, this is "prime news," i'm mike galanos. all right, we have urgent updates on the florida murders, so sad here, since they mad 17 kids, 13 adopted. police in escambia, florida, say one part of this crime went wrong. seven suspects dressed in ninja gash planned a break-in. but the person assigned to turn off the cameras never showed up. they don't know who this mysterious person is. then there's this. police just told us that they found a woman wanted for questioning, who rented property to one of the suspects. also, the dea confirms it has joined the investigation. we're going to get to all of that. we'll take your calls.
5:02 pm
1-877-tell-hln is the number. joining me to talk about this, welcome back mike brooks. with us, florida state prosecutor pam bondi, and ed lavandera, with cnn. ed has been all over this one. ed, last press conference wrapped up just a little while ago. what did we learn from that? >> reporter: well, it's been rather fast-moving day. around lunchtime today, authorities here put out an alert that they were looking for a woman by the name of pamela long, and then three hours later, they announced that woman, indeed, had been found, in orange beach, alabama, west of where we are in southern alabama, at a marina. had been found there by the local police department there. we're told she's on her way back here, driving with her attorney to provide, or, to go with questioning here with authorities. they still say that this is only a person of interest. whether or not she becomes a suspect or is a suspect or is
5:03 pm
just someone they are using to build this case further, authorities here won't speculate on that. but that's what's taking place here. >> all right, ed. what's her relationship with the alleged organizer, mastermind, leonard gonzalez jr. at least she's the landlord for that guy, right? >> reporter: initially, what we've been told, and we're digging on these fronts as we speak, but we were told that this is someone who had very close contact with patrick leonard gonzalez jr., who, if you remember yesterday, authorities have been saying they consider him to be the mastermind behind these murders. so, they say that even up until the day of the murders, that she had had close contact with him. perhaps was the landlord. she lived relatively close to where gonzalez jr. lived in the pensacola area, and perhaps she was running a real estate company, was involved somewhere in that front, as well. those are kind of the angles we're tracking down now. >> let's bring in mike brooks.
5:04 pm
mike, what do you make of pamela long? we heard she had up to five aliases. again, she has a connection with leonard gonzalez jr., the mastermind, the alleged master mind here. >> very close to he and his family. >> and you see -- are you suspicious
5:05 pm
5:06 pm
they came into the house, there was one unlocked door apparently that came in. they said it's not uncommon in that part of the country to leave it open. there's this very small community. this person of interest they are calling, who was supposed to cut it off, they didn't have to be at the house, mike. the sheriff was almost intimating that it was somebody who knew the access code, and they could get in there via computer, because they said they were looking at computer data bases and access colds and they think, they have narrowed this search for the person of interest, who, did this person work for the alarm company, was he one of the installers? this is all the things that the sheriff brought up today, saying, hey, this is a possibility this person was with the alarm company. but we don't know for sure. >> let's go one last quick one, i want to bring up ed lavandera.
5:07 pm
is the drug enforcement agency, are they in on this investigation, and if so, why? >> well, we've known that several federal agencies have been involved. it's the first time we've been able to get from dea directly that they were involved. and that is -- it's kind of continues to add to that layer of intrigue as to what exactly is going on here. you know, the authorities are saying they have the seven people, they believe were on the property at the time of the murders. you know, as we play junior detective here, if you think about that, you would think, it's the end of the story here, time to wrap up and go home, but they continue looking for people. you find about this increased involvement, it makes you wonder if this is going to grow even larger. based on the minimal information we have, it seems to suggest there's more layers of intrigue going on here. >> mike, let's go to mike brooks. mike, what do you make of it, that the d.a. is involved here? >> they would be not be involved
5:08 pm
unless there was a drug nexus to junior or someone else in this case. the we have atf, as well. if they did recover the weapons, give them to atf, they're go to the lab in atlanta. the fbi is involved, as well, that plays into maybe possibly an interstate or international nexus. we don't know, though. >> guys, going to have to leave it there, mike, pam, ed, thank you. coming up, the latest in the investigation into the death of michael jackson. and well got a look at a video of the pepsi commercial back in 1984 when michael jackson's hair caught on fire. we're going to explore that. who obtained the video? how has it been, really, under wraps for 25 years? now it comes out, tons of questions on that. the investigation, custody of the kids, and we're taking your calls. 1-877-tell-hln.
5:09 pm
5:10 pm
5:11 pm
welcome back to "prime news" on hln. believe it or not, one year ago today, a frantic call to 911. a 2-year-old florida girl reported missing. >> i told you my daughter was missing for a month. ill just found her today but i can't find my granddaughter. >> that call, little caylee anthony's story has captivated people across the nation where does the case stand today? we'll take your calls. 1-877-tell-hln. we'll take your calls on this story, as well. shocking footage of michael jackson -- in an accident that really changed his life. we know about it. filming a pepsi commercial in 1984, the video is all over the internet. you might have seen it already. you might have had it in your e-mail. it is just riveting to look at.
5:12 pm
you are looking at a picture here, a photo of that incident. fireworks on the stage went off too early, and i've seen the video, you can see michael jackson's hair is on fire. he continues dancing for a moment. doesn't even know it, and then a swarm of people come on to help put out the fire. he suffered second and third degree burns on his scalp and body. you see him taken by ambulance after that. "us weekly" reports he was never the same after that accident. no one is going to dispute that. we're going to show you that shocking video in just a moment. we'll take your calls, 1-877-tell-hln is the number. joining us to talk about it, lindsey powers, staff editor at "us weekly." jim morra, also ann bremner back with us. lindsey, this is riveting to watch. i mean, so, how did you guys get this video? it's been under wraps 25 years?
5:13 pm
well, a good journalist never reveals the exact source of the video. >> okay. when i saw it, it was so clear and such an upclose shot, i'm thinking, gosh, is this real. you have all thent kated this? >> it was under wraps for 25 years. and this was such a pivotal point in michael jackson's career. >> you can't tell me anything. someone came to you with it? how you guys obtained this? anything at all? >> you know, it's just company policy not to reveal the exact, you know, the exact way that we get all of our news, but of course, you know, "us weekly" is a very rep ewable outlet. >> no disrespect. we're just wondering how this surfaces now. i'm sure tons of questions will follow. lindsay, let's stale with you on that. weren't you riveted watching it? it's so close. it was on the sixth take --
5:14 pm
>> it's the sixth take. and you see in the video, at first, the pyro goes off as planned, michael jackson dances as planned. the sixth take is when things go wrong and the fireworks go off as he's at the top of the stage. he's dancing down, the head is on fire, and he's unair way. he spins at the bottom. the fire goes out and he's tackled, or surrounded by dozens of stage hands, including marlon bran dope's son. >> we'll show you that video in a moment. i want to bring jim in. jim, as we go back to that time, really the accident that changed michael's life, how bad was? it what do we know about the injuries? well, we know that there were second and third degree burns. it's horrible. you see the area of his scalp where there used to be hair and there is just burned flesh, and that would require many operations, and i think the sad thing, and you alluded to it, is
5:15 pm
that this is probably the moment that changed michael jackson's life forever, because it's because of those injuries that he was later put on demerol, and he became addicted to demerol, as he admitted himself and went into treatment for it. so, this moment is almost the beginning of the undoing, or the beginning of the end for michael jackson. >> let's bring ann bremner in. this is early on, as this video comes out. what is pepsi going to have to say about this? and the jackson family. >> absolutely. and the question is, was there some confidentiality. it's outrageous. it's painful to watch. the beginning of his undoing, in many respects. so i think there's going to be real comment as a result of this coming out. i watched it this morning, and it is absolutely frightening. >> it is. it really. we're going to show you a small clip of that coming up. stick around for. that we'll take your calls, as well. the number, 1-877-tell-hln.
5:16 pm
5:17 pm
5:18 pm
you're a huge part of the show, love hearing from you. call in. there's the number. 1-877-tell-hln. shoot me an e-mail. cnn.com/primenews. and we like your texts, hlntv. all you have to do is start your message with the word prime and we like to show your thoughts throughout the show. continue our conversation about michael jackson. we hope to show you the video from that ill-fated pepsi commercial in 1986. i' i've seen the video. it's pretty gruesome to see. we want to get approval, we want to be sensitive about what parts to show you. the hair is on fire. you can see people come to put out that fire. we hope to show you that as soon as we have. we have our experts standing by. before we get off that topic, go
5:19 pm
back to jim moret, chief correspondent of "inside edition." we look at that, and we made that point, let's get specific. that's what opened the road to michael jackson and taking the pain medication, and plastic surgery. what do -- how fast was it that michael began the pain medication and really the addiction to pain medication from that point on? >> well the pain medication would be pretty quick, because the pain associated with burns is just horrific. i've talked to experts in that field, and they describe it as just the worst pain you can imagine. it's -- it's not only -- it's the nerve endings, it's the hair, the skin, and you have grafts that you have to go through. it's a long process. and that may, as you indicated, have then caused him to go through various cosmetic surgeries. but the interesting thing, he looked back on that time, i think, and noted that that was when he began using the demerol. and you have to remember that
5:20 pm
when people become addicts, they don't set out for that. michael jackson had legitimate pain and needed medication for that pain. unfortunately, the medication then overtook him and he became addicted to it. >> well-put, jim. when you see the video, you can see, it is brutal to watch. let's bring back lindsay powers from "us weekly." what do we know about -- did michael grow his hair back from that? >> there have been reports from the lasting damage of that incident. when you watch the video, he clearly has a large bald spot and doctors spoken out since then and said that he had to undergo multiple surgeries and treatments to get back to where he was. and, you know, he's spoken out about that kind of starting his plastic surgery obsession, as well. >> let's go to the callers. april in north carolina. comment or question here? april? april is gone. we welcome your calls. 1-877-tell-hln. so we're talking about this,
5:21 pm
again, we're hoping to show you a small clip, again, from that commercial back in 1984. i've seen it. it is clear, crystal clear, up close shot. it's pretty brutal to watch. we hope to show you that. we're trying to get approval for it. we're going to be talking about reports that this case is now being ruled a homicide. we'll get an official word on that, kind of being shoved aside, so to speak. we'll get you updated on that, anything about the custody, the investigation, and we like to take your phone calls. you know the number. 1-877-tell-hln. but again, for the first time, we're getting an up close look at the pepsi commercial, the ill-fated pepsi commercial that changed michael jackson's life. g i'll clean the pool if you clean the windows.
5:22 pm
5:23 pm
5:24 pm
5:25 pm
5:26 pm
5:27 pm
5:28 pm
5:29 pm
pick the windows, pick the windows! anything but the windows. deal. oh! new windex outdoor all-in-one... cleans outdoor glass fast. just spray with water, wipe with a windex cleaning pad, and rinse for a streak-free shine in half the time. you're done? she pulled a fast one! ( laughs ) new windex outdoor all-in-one.
5:30 pm
a streak-free shine in half the time. s.c. johnson, a family company. welcome back to "prime news" on hln. for the first time, we're getting an up close look at that ill-fated pepsi commercial in 1984, and you are about to see it. 1984, i believe it's the sixth take, michael jackson is doing the pepsi commercial and the pyro tegoes off too soon. why are we showing that? many people believe this is what began -- and we'll talk about this, talk about this with you and the experts, this is what began michael jackson's addiction to pain medication, and that was, could have been the precipice before we had more plastic surgery. so, we'll be talking about that, because many wonder, if he doesn't have that accident, maybe he's alive. let's watch. this is 1984, the pepsi commercial, where michael jackson's hair catches on fire. let's watch this together.
5:31 pm
we just got approval from this video. here it is. there's some wording there at the bottom. "us weekly" obtained this. and there are the pyro going off. you can see his hair on fire, and he continues. you have to believe at this point, he doesn't know, he spins twice, continues to dance, and then you see two, three, four people come on to put out that fire. we warned you, and we had been warning you, it's brutal to watch. we have lindsay powers from "us weekly." when did you obtain this? >> as i said, a good journalist never reveals too many sources of the reporting, but we obtained it recently. >> okay. so, you guys reviewed it. >> yes. >> just your personal take, as you watched it, lindsay, for that first time. >> oh, i mean, it's a shocking video. it's -- you just -- you hear so much about how his life changed after this commercial, and to see it, in such, you know, harrowing detail, i think it's
5:32 pm
hard. so many of us are fans of michael jackson, and he's such an icon. it's definitely a pretty graphic video. >> there he is getting treatment for the injuries. we didn't show the part of michael jackson, where some of the hair is burned away, and he grabs his scalp. jim, we can see right there, how painful that mugs have been. we mentioned, second and third degree burns here. >> i was a local reporter in l.a. working for kabc tv, and i covered this story, and i've never seen that vantage point, that crisp video before, and we do -- i do vividly remember how badly burned he was, and the horror that the family was going through, and to see it now, and you say why show it now? i think it, if you had shown it two years ago, two months ago, no one would have paid much attention to it. now that we see how michael jackson ended his days, and we can see what might have led to that, i think it puts it all in
5:33 pm
perspective. >> exactly. anne. you covered michael jackson. your reaction to seeing that, anne, as we think of michael jackson as a 26-year-old, 1984. he was a different man. >> and the thing is, there's an old still that i saw of that, of the fire, but he is at a distance and doesn't look that bad. it's so jarring to see how bad that fire was, and to know that his life just turned on a dime that day, and jim moret and i covered the jackson trial together for six months, and there were plenty of days where he looked to be under, in some ways, affected by something. and had a number of hospital visits including, you know, pajama day. kurt cobain wrote a song about lithium and michael jackson wrote a song called demerol. but dead at 50, what a tragedy. >> exactly. and you know, did he ever recover from that day back in 1984. recover fully, i'm talking, mind, body and soul here. let's go to the callers. kima in pennsylvania. >> caller: hi. >> yeah, hi. go ahead.
5:34 pm
>> caller: the comment i actually had, have this been answered, i was wondering why you are showing this now? do you think this is disrespectful to michael jackson, because he's gone. as far as the media goes, it's going from bad to worse. no one ever gives him a break. and now that he's gone, his brother marlon, i think, said maybe they will leave him alone. that doesn't seem like it's happening. oh, it's a homicide, all these negative comments are coming out about him, and i just wonder why. it's not right. >> kima, we understand your passion, it sounds like you are a fan. i said xit, jim said it. we show this now because that could have been the turning point in michael's life. why are we reporting on this tragedy, the 50-year-old man is dead and as the song said, gone too soon. it could have been, because of that tragic accident, that ill-fated pepsi commercial back in 1984. that's why we're showing it again. so, kima, thanks for your thoughts. continue to e ma-mail us on thi. we'll have much more.
5:35 pm
jim moret, lindsay powers, anne bremner, good talking to you guys. coming up, a story that has people frightened in north carolina. serial killer on the loose, dumps bodies in a field. the deaths appear to be similar. we're going to talk to experts about that. what is going on here, and are they any closer to catching this person? call in, 1-877-tell-hln.
5:36 pm
5:37 pm
5:38 pm
i told you, my daughter was missing for a month. i just found her today but i can't find my granddaughter. >> one year ago today, the frannic 911 call that substantiated it all. little caylee anthony, reported missing. her body found months later, dumped near the anthony home. we want to know, will there ever be justice for little caylee. where's the case against her mom heading? we're talking your calls, 1-877-tell-hln. get to that in a second. but first this. terrifying news out of north carolina. a serial killer may be on the loose. the remains of five women have been found near a rural country road. this just outside the city of rocky mount. police say it appears they suffered a similar death, and the murders seem to be related. in fact, three of the women for sou found in the same field. now, the latest victim was found just two weeks ago. all of these women had a history of drugs, prostitution or both.
5:39 pm
from what experts are saying, this sick killer will take anyone out. >> i don't think he would feel, you know, he would say, oh, gosh, she's not a prostitute -- he would kill anybody, i think, that's isolated. >> frightening and at this hour, police are trying to identify the body of a sixth woman, also found in the vicinity. joining me to talk about this, mike brooks, also with us, welcome back criminal profiler pat brown. pat, let's start with you. and let's just clarify right off the top. do you see this as one person? >> well, we at least have one because we have three dead woman in a field and unless somebody is giving out cards say, hey, if we have a dead woman, here's a great field to put her in, i think we have a serial killer. what's sad about that, by the time you find the second dead woman in the field, the information should have went out to the community. >> let's go to mike brooks. what are authorities saying about what links the crimes together? >> you know, they're not really saying a whole lot about it,
5:40 pm
mike. apparently they don't have that much on the case. but you know, they're going to take a look to see whether or not there is any association at all between these women. they're going to take a look to see if there's any same kind of physical evidence, any kind of markers at the crime scene. similar weapons used, all these kinds of things, and that's what they are going to say now is possibly why they believe it is a serial killer. >> there's a report out there that a young woman says she accepted a ride from a man in this area, he wouldn't let her out, wouldn't stop the car. demanded sex. said he would kill her if she didn't have sex with him. she finally gets out, ran away, hid in a ditch as she looked for her, again in that area. mike, she's got to be the key at this point, right? >> absolutely. this is the only person possibly alive that has seen this person. and hopefully they'll be able to get some kind of composite drawing from this woman and because it is such a small community. a number of years here, mike, we're talking about, so, again,
5:41 pm
it looks like a serial killer, because there is all these women were, you know, basically involved in the same kind of business, if you will. >> you're right there. we're talking five, possibly six women. range in age from 28 to 50. all had drug or prostitution arrests in their past. seems like -- help us to understand, why, pat, and clarify, as well, that prostitution, drug arrests, it seems like -- that's a target for a serial killer, right? >> it's called an easy victim. this is the kind of woman you wave a $20 bill at and she jumps in your car. that's what he's picking. i would say, one of the problems the police have sometimes early on, if you have a woman who is involved in a lot of things, not the greatest profession, shall we say, and she has drug problems, they don't know if she got into an argument with somebody and somebody hit her over the head and threw her in a field, maybe it was a boyfriend,
5:42 pm
a pimp, a drug dealer. that's why they don't jump immediately to that conclusion. however, when you start getting the numbers wracking up, you can say you have a serial killer. i believe this guy is a local guy. it's all going like this, right, out of the city, and he's done it over a number of years. this is a local resident who doesn't know what i always try to tell people, serial killers do not kill every week and month. they kill when they feel they need power and control in their life. this guy is killing on occasion. >> mike, let me ask pat, and you, as well. this is four years, since may of '05. how do you ferret somebody like that out, there's no time frame. it just happens when it happens. >> and there could be a possibility, mike, that there are other women out there who he may have confronted and maybe they were able to fend him off. and they would never report it, involved in drugs, they're not going to call the police. there could be other victims, potential victims that this could have happened to.
5:43 pm
>> pat, what about that? >> we have a great witness. we can also let the community know, look for some guy who is down on his luck who lives right in the city or just on the outskirts, and who may be, that field where they found the bodies, has a reason to be going that direction. maybe he has a relative, he works out there, construction, whatever. some kind of pattern he's using. get that information out to the public. point out those things, what we're looking for, and let them start thinking, who do we know that fits this description, this kind of car, lives around here, maybe knows that road really well. >> and a good composite from that one good witness, mike, will really mean a lot though this case. >> we'll keep following this for you. guys, thank you. pat, good talking to you. mike, you are sticking around for this next one. one year ago today, little caylee anthony reported miss ee. we thought we were going to find little cray see. one of the few times we see tears from casey. partying when the little girl was missing.
5:44 pm
the memorial, george and cindy, and the tears from the family. a little girl gone too soon. call us, 1-877-tell-hln. .
5:45 pm
5:46 pm
welcome back. one year ago today, a panicked cindy anthony made this 911 call, terrified for her little granddaughter. then we learn this shocking news. little craylee had been missing for a month, yet her mom didn't tell anyone. the 2-year-old's body was found in december, and now casey is behind bars, charged with first
5:47 pm
degree murder. she could get the death penalty. we'll take your calls, 1-877-tell-hln. joining us to talk about it, natisha lance, producer from hln's nancy grace show. also with us, pam bondi and mike brooks. natisha, before we backtrack here for everybody, as we commemorate a sad day, the first the year ago the 911 call. tell us, anything with the investigation, anything new in the case, the investigation? >> well, i actually spoke to someone over the state prosecutor -- the state attorney's office today, and they told me there is still more discovery that has yet to be released. they hope to do that by the end of the month. what is compiled in these are things that are going to be on a disc. it is mostly photographs. no more paper documents. i spoke to someone over at the sheriff's office today, and what they told me is that the sheriff's office still continues to work very closely with the state attorney's office, however, i also asked them if this is still an open investigation, are they still trying to determine how kayley anthony died, because that was
5:48 pm
not determined, even from the autopsy report, and they couldn't give me an answer on that, but they said they are still working very closely with the state attorney's office on that. >> real quick, natisha, any timeline on a trial, or are we still at least a year off? >> well, the trial was scheduled to begin october 12th. now just recently, they decided they're not going to be ready for that date, so, we'll have a status hearing in january. so, this case, probably won't go to trial until sometime next year. >> i'm sure. >> if that. well put, mike. we heard cindy anthony's 911 call from a year ago, and she said, we heard, smelled like a dead body in the car. george anthony talked to investigators about that, about that smell. here's what he had to say, months ago. >> i got one three feet of my daughter's car, and the worst odor that you could possibly smell in this world, and i've smelled that odor before. it smell ed like a decomposed
5:49 pm
body. >> there you have it. let's bring in pam bondi. pam, when we heard that, and it had been in the car, obviously casey had been driving, dead body in the car, that's huge for the prosecution, isn't it? >> it's huge, mike. it's so huge for the prosecut prosecutors, and it's hard to believe it's been a year since we heard that 911 call about the car, but prosecutors have done such a great job going back in time to the beginning, really starting in march, with the internet searches, and then with her backing the car in, and borrowing a shovel, and now we have the body, her little body, with the autopsy results and with the trunk results that you said, with the smell of decomposition, the air samples, the hair found that showed signs of decomposition, and there's just so much linking her back to the house, the anthony home that it's -- it's amazing it's only been a year. >> let's go to mike brooks. let's talk about the forensics
5:50 pm
here. pam said it here. do they have the they have the ? is there enough? it sure seems like it to me. what are you seeing here? >> you know, from the last part of discovery, we saw about what they're -- what kind of tests they're doing with the body farm in tennessee. and the fact they even got some road kill and did some testing to see what kind of offgassing and decomposition things -- what gases would be given off there. you know, because casey anthony said, oh, well, you know, ran over an animal. so i mean, they're going to the far ends to make sure that they're making a good case on this. you know, and for george to say that, keep in mind, george is retired law enforcement. he was an investigator up in ohio. and as pam said, that statement that he made is going to be just crucial for the prosecution, and they're going to say, well, how do you know it's that smell? once you smell it, mike, having been an investigator myself, once you smell the decomposition of a body, you'll never forget that. >> exactly.
5:51 pm
because then after the fact, what was it, on larry king's show, i believe it was in december, both cindy and george then -- their story had changed somewhat, saying it was rotting pizza, it was food that had been left in the car. and as mike, you well know, two completely different smells. >> absolutely. >> real quick, we talk about casey anthony. not only do we have that, the smell of death in the car, and forensics backs that. her behavior. natisha, real quick here, and we'll have more on the break after that. she didn't even call. her little girl's missing 30 days, she doesn't make the call. her mom has to. caylee's grandma. >> right. casey anthony has said all along that this was due to a nanny who was watching caylee anthony and that is the reason why caylee anthony went missing. and she still stands by that story, saying that the nanny took caylee anthony. but casey is seen -- >> more coming up, guys.
5:52 pm
5:53 pm
5:54 pm
[ music ] >> welcome to comcast local edition, i'm donna richardson, and my guest this hour is christine bergmark who is the executive director of the southern maryland agricultural development commission. welcome, christine, it's good to have you here. >> thank you for having me. >> that's a big mouthful, and i know that you're working on an extremely exciting program, bi-local challenge. >> it is an initial that we launched two years ago, and essentially what it is is the last full week of july we ask everyone across the state of maryland and beyond to take a pledge, and the pledge is eat something or drink from a farm every day during that week. >> oh. so where do we get the
5:55 pm
information about where to find the farms or how do we sign up for this pledge? >> well, there's a website. it's www.by-local-challenge.com that website will give you all sorts of information why to buy local and where to buy local and it connects you to other statewide initiatives that are going on at the same time. if you go to the website, we've added a count. people used to say, where do i sign up? normally you have to go buy, eat something from a local farm. this year we decided to add a counter to the website. when you are' counted, you can receive a certificate with your name on it that you can put up in your office or your home or wherever. >> which is very, very important. it's reduces your carbon foot print because you're driving hopefully a shorter distance, you have access to local
5:56 pm
products that are available, and also it helps the farmers. >> well, and in fact, our theme this year is healthy plate, healthy planet. all kinds of benefits to buying local, benefits for you, healthy, nutrition, it's fresh, and preserving our farms survive, we keep clean water, we keep clean air, we reduce the carbon footprints from things traveling 1500 miles, and it tastes good. >> exactly. now for those people who may not cook, how can they be a part of this? >> yeah, sometimes people say, well, i hate to cook. that's okay. you can go to a store or to a restaurant that features local farm products, and there are more and more restaurants every year, some of them are on our website, and you can click throughout to find out who they are,. >> what kind of items can we acquire localfully. >> during the last week of july,
5:57 pm
there is so much product available. there's sweet corn, blackberries, all kinds of tomatoes and melons are in season, and of course, there's always wine, cheese, eggs, meatss. >> so we do have a wide variety of things we can get. say that i go and i go to a local farmer's market and purchase something, what is a vegetable that i'm not quite familiar with, how did i find a recipe. >> excellent question. there are recipes on our website. people can post their own recipes of their own events and own blogs by why they buy local. some of the things i wanted to mention is the economic benefits. we talked about the planet, we talked about the fact that it tastes good, and it's fun, but there's also the benefit of supporting our farms, and if
5:58 pm
every household in the state mucofmaryland were to buy just 2 worth of products for 8 weeks, basically the summer season that, would put $200 million straight back into the pockets of our farmers. that would do a lot to keep our farmers thriving. >> which is so important. i know we have less than 30 seconds, but you have some partners that you wouldn't typically think of who have now joined in. >> yes. hospitals are joining in this year. fact, they're looking to do a competition to see how many people they can get involved. >> have you exciting. christine, thank you very much for coming in today. >> thank you. >> my guest today has been christine bergmark with the southern agricultural commission. if you're interested in what comcast is doing in your area, go to on demand and click get local. for comcast local edition, i'm donna richardson. for comcast local edition, i'm donna richardson. [ music ]
5:59 pm
i'm sorry. i can't hear you very well. announcer: does someone you know have trouble hearing on the phone? dad. dad, let me help you with that, okay? announcer: now, a free phone service shows captions of everything a caller says. i'd like to make an appointment to see the doctor. announcer: to learn more about captioned telephone, call 1-800-552-7724 or go to our website. i'll see you at 3:00! announcer: captioned telephone - enjoy the phone again!
6:00 pm
major developments today in the murder case of the florida couple. parents of 17. now the d.e.a. is involved, and police say the suspects trained for 30 days but didn't count on this. the person that was supposed to turn off those surveillance cameras never showed up. police are now on the hunt. plus this -- a year ago today caylee anthony's grandmother made this panicked 911 call. >> there's something wrong. i found my daughter's car today, and it smells like there's been a dead body in the damn car. >> little caylee had been missing for more than a month before grandma made that call. mom casey sits behind bars. she didn't make the call. she's charged with first-degree murder. we want to know, are we any closer to justice for little
6:01 pm
caylee? you're a huge part of the show. love hearing from you. call in. 1-877-tell-hln is the number. e-mail us, cnn.com/primenews or you can text us at hlntv. just start your message with the word "prime." it's your chance to be heard. >> controversy, opinion, your point of view. this is "prime news." welcome to hour number two of "prime news." i'm mike galanos. we'll get to those stories in just a moment. first, though, shocking, never-before-seen footage of michael jackson in a serious accident. it changed his life. he was filming a pepsi commercial back in 1984. this video has been really under wraps for 25 years. now it's coming out. it's all over the internet. you've maybe already had it e-mailed to you, by the way. you're looking at a still photo of this incident. fireworks on the stage went off, pyrotechnics went off too early. michael jackson, you're about to see it, his head is on fire. and sadly, at that point he suffered second and third-degree burns on his scalp and body. here's a picture of him being taken away in an ambulance as he
6:02 pm
received treatment. "us weekly" obtained this footage. we're going to show that to you in just a moment. it's shocking. got to waurrn you, it's stark, pretty brutal to see. joining us lindsay powers staff editor at "us weekly." also with us anne bremner, former prosecutor. she also sat in on michael jackson's molestation trial. and also with us by phone, emergency room physician dr. leigh vanocur. we'll take your calls as well. 1-877-tell-hln is the number. all right. we're going to show you that footage now. again, this is 1984. michael jackson filming a pepsi commercial. and you may ask why do we show it to you? michael jackson is dead and gone. we show it to you because this incident may have changed his life. we may be sitting here right now reporting on this because of what happened to michael jackson back in 1984. that could have began his addiction to pain medication. and was he ever the same after that? did he ever fully recover? so here it is. here's the footage. pepsi commercial, 1984. this is the sixth take.
6:03 pm
watch the pyrotechnics go off right there. they were too low. you can see right there that michael jackson's hair is on fire. he doesn't know it at this point as you see him continue to dance. he will spin a couple of times. and then those around him do see -- and then you see two, three, four, five people come on to put that poupt we warned you it was pretty brutal to watch. and afterward we didn't show it to you, but michael jackson is carted away and his hair has been burned away, and he puts his hand over his head. it is sad to watch. we know now very well it could have changed his life. let's bring in lindsay powers of "us weekly." lindsay, i have to ask you this, and you can tell me what you can about that. when did you guys receive this foot snj who gave it to you? what can you tell us? anything at all? >> well, we received this footage very recently. it was after his june 25th death. but as any good journalist, we can't reveal our exact sources but we can say that of course "us weekly," we're a very reputable outlet and this is an authentic video. and it's a very pivotal point in michael jackson's life.
6:04 pm
it's incredibly newsworthy. >> anne bremner, let's talk about the video itself. what can pepsi do about this as this footage comes out? how about the jackson family? >> you know, if there's no way to figure out where it came from, they're going to have difficulty doing anything about it. and the fact is that there can be a claim of privilege. was there money exchanged for this? who had a motive to bring this out? in a lot of ways it shows i think jackson very sympathetically, of course. we can see the end of the beginning, or the beginning of the end in terms of his problems and his ultimate demise, if indeed it was from drugs. but they're going to have a tough time pinning down where it came from and who released it. it's been under wraps for 25 years. that's as long as i've practiced law. >> wow. let's bring in dr. leigh vanocur, emergency room physician. good to have you back, doctor. >> good to be back. >> as we see that footage there, and we're talking about second and third-degree burns, what could michael jackson have been going through at that time? >> well, certainly third-degree burns means it's the full
6:05 pm
thickness, so the burn is all the way through the skin. and it usually burns the nerves. and third-degree burns are often painless but then need a lot of grafting and plastic surgery to replace the tissue. second-degree burns are extremely painful. that's the blistering burns that people see, partial thickness. so frequently patients in burn units do require a lot of narcotics because they are in a lot of pain. but certainly there are many people that have recovered from terrible burns and house fires that do not become addicted to narcotics after using them for months in the icu. >> but it's not unheard of with that kind of pain -- obviously, anybody would need pain medication. substantial amounts to deal with that, correct? >> yes. and it depends on how extensive the burn is and where it is on his body and how much of it's involved and such. i mean, i believe it was mostly his head and hair.
6:06 pm
i don't know that -- if his face was burned in the pictures. but i've seen usually his hair and the back of the head. >> lindsay, what do we know, how many procedures do we know that michael jackson went through after that to try to recover from that accident? >> we know he went through multiple procedures at that point. and after this incident was the first time he received demerol, which as you know led to his painkiller addiction, and he admitted it when he went into rehab years later. but of course skin grafts and of course with his hair burning off it added to his insecurities because he was forced to wear wigs and weaves. so there was kind of a whole plethora of side effects from this incident. >> we'll continue our conversation after the break. we'll also talk about where the investigation stands. reports it's being looked at as a homicide. is that true or false? we'll look into that. and take your phone calls. 1-877-tell-hln.
6:07 pm
6:08 pm
6:09 pm
welcome back to hln. continuing our conversation. the latest on the michael jackson tragic death here. and we're getting our first look. never-before-seen footage of the 1984 pepsi commercial that really changed michael jackson's life. let's face it. it was an accident. we showed the video. these are pictures. this is from the set there. it was the sixth take. and pyrotechnics went off too soon. michael jackson's hair caught on fire. he suffered second and third-degree burns. there's the picture as he received treatment. and obviously, many speculate that this is what opened the door to michael jackson using pain medication, possibly addiction to pain medication throughout the latter part of his life. we have our experts standing by. we'll take your calls. 1-877-tell-hln is the number.
6:10 pm
it's sad to watch. it was pretty brutal to watch. but again, that could have led to why we're here today, reporting on michael jackson dead at the age of 50. let's get a call in real quick. natalie in north carolina. hi, natalie. your thoughts here? >> caller: yes, sir. i just want to thank you for taking my phone call. >> yeah. >> caller: and i wanted to say that if he didn't want it released while he was alive i don't think he would have want td released now that he's not living. and i just think that it's wrong for the people to exploit him like this after death. >> natalie, thanks for the call. again, we had a call similar in the last hour. passionate fans of michael jackson. but again, i would say this, natalie. you know, why we show it is this could have been the pivotal turning point in michael jackson's life. and i believe many would say that it is and was. that in 1984, he's 26 years old, at the peak of his career, or just about at that point, and he suffers this tragic accident. ann bremner, attorney, you have
6:11 pm
covered michael jackson. you were there for the trial. and as you've researched michael jackson, do you ever recovered from that 1984? >> you know, mike, i really don't. he did go to rehab in '93 in london back at the time of the settlement of the jordi chandler case. but of course he had drug problems for so long. i'm a huge michael jackson fan, and in watching the trial i kept thinking of that f. scott fitzgerald line, "show me a hero and i'll write you a tragedy." i mean, what happened to michael jackson was chronic. he had the pain medication addiction and other drugs as well. and dying at 50, that's not a natural thing. and you have to look at this as a beginning of what ended up with the death just in the last couple of weeks. it's just a tragedy. >> let's bring back dr. leigh vinoc vinocur, emergency room physician. leigh providing expertise on not only what michael jackson might have went through back then in 1984 but his battles after that
6:12 pm
with the pain medication. leigh, give us a sense of how hard it is to kick that habit, to get off the pain medication if it overtakes you like that. >> addiction is a very difficult thing to kick. there are psychological effects. there are physical effects. and it's very hard. and prescription drugs, you know, when you have perhaps doctors or people that are supplying you with medication and not, you know, helping you get into rehab. i mean, it's hard when you have multiple doctors. and then polypharmacy, again. you're in this society, you can't fall asleep, take a pill for that. you're in pain, take a pain for that. you feel anxious. and all those things together affect you and can be deadly. and it's very hard. if you've taken care of anyone with addiction, you know that the recovery process is constant. even after. people go into rehab multiple times. >> let's hit on one other thing
6:13 pm
before we go, guys. anne, i'll go to you with this one. there were reports out there the case is being looked at as a homicide. the d.a.'s office in l.a. saying no. we're basically saying it's still lapd's case. what can we read into that? >> all we can read into it is it is lapd's case. and they're the ones who investigate until they give it to the prosecutor. so all we know is the d.a.'s saying it's not here yet. it's not they're saying this is not a homicide investigation. they're saying it's lapd's homicide investigation at this point. >> and we could know more as toxicology results could come back as early as friday. guys, we've got to run. anne, lindsy, dr. leigh vinocur, thanks so much. >> my pleasure. >> coming up, new developments in the case -- sad tragic story here. the florida couple. there you see them. byrd, melanie billings shot, murdered in their own home. parents to 17 kids. well, now we're finding out new details. there could have been a glaring mistake in what the criminals thought would be a perfect crime. stay with us.
6:14 pm
6:15 pm
6:16 pm
welcome back to "prime news" on hln. one year ago today a frantic phone call to 911. a 2-year-old florida girl reported missing. >> i told you my daughter was missing for a month. i just found her today, but i can't find my granddaughter. >> since that call little caylee anthony's story has captivated people across the nation. where does the case stand today? coming up in just a little bit. but first this urgent update in the investigation of the couple shot and killed in their own home. talking about melanie and byrd billings. so sad. they had 17 kids. 13 adopted. many with special needs. well, new today police in escambia county, florida say one critical piece of this crime went wrong. seven suspects dressed in ninja style garb planned an elaborate break-in but police now say the person assigned to turn off the surveillance cameras which we
6:17 pm
believe led to many of the arrests never showed up. they don't know who this mysterious person is. they're on the hunt there. also this. police say they found a woman wanted for questioning who rented property to one of the suspects, the guy we think is the mastermind in all this. one more fact to get out to you. the d.e.a. confirms it has  joined the investigation. we want know what that is all about. we'll take your calls. 1-877-tell-hln. joining me to talk about it, hln law enforcement analyst mike brooks. also with us, florida state prosecutor pam bondi. and also joining us, ed lavandera, with our sister network cnn. ed's been all over this story. all right, ed. we've got a new person, or at least a couple people could change the complexion of this a little bit. number one is pamela laverne long. how does she fit into this? what do we know, ed? >> we're still trying to figure that out exactly. we know she does have, according to authorities, they're saying she has close connections to the person they consider the ring leader in this case, and that is leonard patrick gonzalez jr. and that she perhaps was his
6:18 pm
landlord, dabbled in the real estate business around here. but authorities are saying that she had close contact with him in the days leading up to and perhaps even the day of the murders, which was thursday of last week. so we understand she is here at the sheriff's office right now and speaking with investigators, that she had arrived some time ago. they're not telling us if that meeting is over, that questioning is over but we presume she's here talking with him right now. >> what do we know about how -- was she on the run? how was she apprehended? did she come in on her own volition? what do we know about that, ed? >> about noon today lunch hour the authorities told us they wanted to be on the lookout for her, they lost touch with her, they were worried for her safety. three hours later they afounsed they had quickly gotten a call based on an alert that went out to authorities through the region as well as the news media of police in orange beach, alabama i think i was told about 40 miles to the west of where we are, that they had found her at a marina. she is not in custody.
6:19 pm
she is not a suspect. the authorities here stressed that she's just a person of interest and that she was coming back here with -- driving back here in her own car with her attorney following the authorities back here. so that was the latest we heard. >> okay. let's bring in mike brooks, hln law enforcement analyst. mike, what do you make of this? we've got -- we've heard anyway possibly she has five aliases. she was incognito for about 48 hours, found at a marina. are you suspicious, mike? >> absolutely. apparently law enforcement did talk to her and then she just kind of disappeared. and orange beach as eddie said, about 40 minutes, one-hour drive from the gulf -- but what was her involvement? she was very close to gonzalez jr. and his family. maybe he was renting some of her property. she owns some businesses around the area. you know, but what exactly is her involvement? this? we don't know. and i guarantee you, she's going to be there at escambia county sheriff's office for quite some time. >> another person that could be involved, want to go back to ed lavandera on this 37 ed, the way
6:20 pm
authorities -- there were a couple of press conferences. i believe at the early one they really talked about this, about someone who might have been involved, didn't do their job in this crime and didn't flip oft surveillance cameras. is that right? >> well, this is interesting. this is kind of a window into how they think this investigation is playing out. and this is -- they describe it as a theory in this case, that they believe there was this eighth person perhaps, or at least a person that was supposed to dismantle the surveillance camera system and the alarm system, and that way when these men approached the house they wouldn't have been captured on videotape, which obviously has been a huge help to investigators in being able to piece together exactly how all of this played out. so they say based on how much training and all the preparation that these guys had gone through they were just stumped, how could they have forgotten this crucial part of this? based on that they say they have the theory that someone was supposed to have done that, that this security system could have been dismantled or shut down repoetly, you didn't have to be at the house, this could have been done from somewhere else.
6:21 pm
>> pam bondi, florida state prosecutor. about 30 seconds, pam. so let's say that this person who was supposeed to do that backs out, crisis of conscience. what kind of trouble are they in? they were in on the plan but didn't do their job. >> they're still in a great deal of trouble. it's a defense in florida if you have to back out of a conspiracy. however, you have to persuade your co-conspirators not to commit the crime, or you have to otherwise prevent the crime from happening. and that didn't happen here. so they could very well be guilty still of a conspiracy. moreover, if they intended for the crime to happen and assisted in any way, by word, act, encouraging, advising, you don't even have to be present. you can still be a principal to first degree murder in florida. >> much more on this coming up. stay with us. ñññoññ ooñ
6:22 pm
6:23 pm
6:24 pm
6:25 pm
6:26 pm
6:27 pm
6:28 pm
6:29 pm
6:30 pm
welcome back. one year ago today a panicked cindy anthony made this 911 call, terrified for her little granddaughter. >> i told you my daughter was missing for a month. i just found her today. but i can't find my granddaughter. she just admitted to me that she's been trying to find her herself. there's something wrong. i found my daughter's car today, and it smells like there's been a dead body in the damn car. >> then we learn this shocking news. little caylee had been missing for more than a month. yet her mom, casey, didn't tell anyone. sadly, the 2-year-old's body was found in december, and now casey is behind bars, charged with first-degree murder. and if she's convicted, she could get the death penalty. we'll take your calls. 1-877-tell-hln. joining us to talk about it, natisha lance, producer from hln's nancy grace show.
6:31 pm
she's been on this since day one. also with us florida state prosecutor pam bondi. and also mike brooks, hln law enforcement analyst. natisha, before we kind of backtrack for everybody here as we commemorate a sad day, the first -- a year ago the 911 call. tell us, anything with the investigation, anything new in the case, in the investigation? >> i actually spoke to someone over at the state prosecutor's -- the state attorney's office today, and they told me that there is still more discovery that has yet to be released. they hope to release that by the end of the month. what is compiled is things that are going to be on a disk. it's mostly photographs. no more paper documents that are coming forward. i also spoke to someone over at the sheriff's office today. and what they told me was that the sheriff's office still continues to work very closely with the state attorney's office. however, i also asked them if it's still an open investigation-r they still trying to determine how caylee anthony died, because that was not determined even from the autopsy report, and they couldn't give me a definitive answer on that but they said they are still working very
6:32 pm
closely with the state attorney's office on that. >> real quick, natisha, any timeline on a trial? are we still at least a year off? >> the trial was scheduled to begin october 12th. just recently they decided they're not going to be ready for that trial date. so we'll have a status hearing in january. this case probably won't go to trial until sometime next year. >> i'm sure. >> if that. >> well put, mike. we heard cindy anthony's 911 call from a year ago and we heard she said it smelled like a dead body in the car. george anthony also spoke to investigators about that smell. here's what he had to say months ago. >> i got within three feet of my daughter's car. and the worst odor you could possibly smell in this world. and i've smelled that odor before. it smelled like a decomposed body. >> there you have it. let's bring in pam bondi, florida state prosecutor.
6:33 pm
pam, when we heard that, and it had been in the car obviously casey had been driving, dead body in the car, forensics back that, that's huge for the prosecution, isn't it? >> it's huge, mike. it's so huge for the prosecutors. and it's hard to believe it's been a year since we heard that 911 call. about the car. but prosecutors have done such a great job going back in time to the beginning really starting in march. with the internet searches and then with her backing the car in and borrowing a shovel. and now we have the body, her little body, with the autopsy results. and with the trunk results you that said, with the smell of decomposition. the air samples. the hair found that showed signs of decomposition. and there's just so much linking her back to the house, the anthony home, that it's amazing it's only been a year. >> let's bring in mike brooks. mike, let's talk about the forensics here. i've said it, pam just said it here. do they have the forensics? is there enough? it sure seems like it to me. what have you seen here?
6:34 pm
>> you know, from the last part of discovery, we saw about what they're -- what kind of tests they're doing, you know, with the body farm up in tennessee. and you know, the fact that they even got some road kill and did some testing to see what kind of off-gassing and decomposition, things -- what gases would be given off there. you know, because casey anthony said, oh, well, i ran over an animal. so they're going to the far ends to make sure that they're making a good case on this. you know, and for jpmorgan to say that, keep in mind, george is retired law enforcement. he was an investigator up in ohio. and as pam said, that statement that he made is going to be just crucial for the prosecution, and they're going to say, well, hon do you know that smell? once you smell it, mike, having been an investigator myself, once you smell the decomposition of a body you'll never forget that. >> no, exactly. because then after the fact, what was it, on the larry king show, i believe it was, in december. both cindy and george then their
6:35 pm
story had changed somewhat saying it was rotting pizza, food that had been left in the car. and as you know, mike, two complete liu different smells. >> absolutely. all right. coming up, a sickening report on what happened to little navia, buchanan. will there be justice for sner have there been any arrests made? we'll update you on that investigation. that's coming up.
6:36 pm
6:37 pm
6:38 pm
breaking news in the murder of a 5-year-old girl. autopsy results just released paint a horrific picture. it's a story we followed for you. little nevaeh buchanan. she might have been buried alive. her little body, as we told you before, we reported, was found encased in cement near a river in southeastern michigan. sad to say no one's been arrested here. whoever's responsible, we want this sick person put to justice. nevaeh suffocated after inhaling dirt. to do that to an innocent child? joining me to talk about it, welcome back hln law enforcement analyst mike brooks. and on the phone, amber hunt, reporter for the "detroit free press." amber, let's start with you. is that the brutal update we're talking about here? could she have been buried alive, amber? >> as we reported on free.com, that's one of two possibilities. either she was buried alive or she could possibly have had her face pushed into the ground where she would have been forced to inhale dirt. it's hard to know one way or
6:39 pm
another which way it happened. >> now, has the entire autopsy report come out, amber? is that where you're getting this information? >> not the entire report. the entire report hasn't come out but a lot of the information is valuable because it's public record at this point. so we are still waiting on some details. we're also waiting on some more forensic testing through the michigan state police. so there will be more developments. >> when you talk about developments, a development we want are some arrests made. are they any closer to that? what do we know, amber? >> i know the monroe county sheriff's department is being very careful in what they're releasing. they're trying to make sure that they're cautious in their approach. this is a very important investigation. so i know they're keeping their cards close to the vest. there were a couple of early people mentioned as possible persons of interest. but since then we haven't heard anything in terms of arrest. >> right. and they are -- and correct me if i'm wrong, amber as we go back over this. these were sex offenders who were too close to nevaeh
6:40 pm
buchanan. right? george kennedy's one of them. >> that's one of them, yes. and they have not been accused of anything directly in this case. they were not supposed to have contact with anybody with children, however, and so both of them are now back in prison for violating the conditions of their parole. >> let's bring in mike brooks, hln law enforcement analyst. mike, sad to say it's horrific to even think about. >> it sure-s mike. >> what kind of physical evidence do you think has been obtained? because i mean, we talked about there was a beer can nearby, but yet this is near water. could some of that evidence have been washed away? >> you know, mike, it could have been. i was really -- i had -- i was encouraged by the beer can because it was right there by the scene. could it have possibly been someone who was involved in this? could they have gotten any fingerprint evidence, dna, anything at all? you know, apparently not so far. at least not to link them to kennedy and that other ne'er-do-well.
6:41 pm
they're not going to call it a cold case but the longer it goes along the more pessimistic i guess. >> let me bring you back, amber. do you feel, amber, from your reporting on this, do you think an arrest is coming or is it just too tough to say right now? >> it's tough to say. i know they're working very hard on it. we reported today that one of the neighbors has had policemen in his house. there have been carpet fibers snipped to compare to evidence perhaps pulled from nevaeh's body. so i know they're working very diligently. this is not a typical crime for a community like monroe. it's a small community. it doesn't have a lot of crime like this. so hopefully, we'll have an arrest soon. but i know they're taking their time to make sure they do it right. >> yeah. you talk about that, and there we see a picture of nevaeh next to her bike. from what we know she was riding her scooter near her home in her neighborhood and she was taken away. and as we found, killed, and killed in a brutal fashion. mike, from what you've seen here, do you think the physical
6:42 pm
evidence is there from that crime scene to possibly get an arrest sometime soon? >> just like she said, they're holding everything -- the cards very close to the vest. i believe they probably do have some kind of evidence, either from the scene, maybe from her body, her clothes, maybe some touch dna, which is a great technology now. you can just get just pieces of skin just from your hand if you touch the clothing. maybe they have some of that. they're not saying at all. and now i'm encouraged that they're still out there. looking for hairs, fibers, anything they can do at all to maybe link these two guys or someone else, another sex offender, or anyone back to this case. >> let's go over that just a little bit, amber, before i let you go. you're saying carpet fibers were taken from a neighbor's house? >> right. one of the last places nevaeh was known to have played, we were told today by that neighbor that investigators have come in, snipped some of the fibers, and told them it was for comparison's sake. and that type of evidence, it might be small but it can be
6:43 pm
certainly crucial in these sorts of investigations. >> absolutely. >> hey, amber, last one real quick, what about nevaeh's mom, jennifer buchanan? has she been -- what has been her actions as of late? >> last we reported, which was today, i understand that some of her family members aren't sure where she is. she hasn't been seen for a few days. she has been careful not -- after the body was discovered, we haven't heard from her too much as members of the media. which you can understand in either direction. but we don't know where she is right now. >> okay. amber, we appreciate it. hopefully, aw you said, and mike as well, we'll have an arrest soon. amber hunt, detroit free press. mike brooks, hln law enforcement analyst. coming up, more on mike jackson's death investigation. there are reports this is being looked at as a homicide. we'll talk about that. going to bring in my colleague jane velez-mitchell. also talk about the ill-fated pepsi commercial as we're
6:44 pm
getting some shocking footage on that.
6:45 pm
6:46 pm
welcome back. still so much mystery concerning the death of michael jackson. people crying foul play here. we're still waiting on toxicology reports to find out the exact cause of death. that could come out as early as friday. plus cops, the california state attorney general's office, and the d.e.a. all investigating. some people pointing at michael jackson's doctors. could be five in all being looked at here. saying they had something to do with this. what was it, a homicide? not? we'll bring in my colleague, jane velez-mitchell, host of "issues with jane velez-mitchell" coming your way in less than 15 minutes. jane-g to have you back. >> good to be here. >> there were some reports, jane, i want to get that out there, that this is already being looked at as a homicide. but then quick reaction to that
6:47 pm
from the l.a. d.a.'s office, saying this, i'm quoting here. it's still lapd's investigation. they haven't filed a case. so therefore, this isn't considered a homicide so, we have no information on that at this time. really, though, they're not saying it's not a homicide yet. it's just lapd's case. >> this is semantics, mike. essentially, i think they are doing the legwork of a homicide but they're not calling it a homicide officially because they can't. they've got to wait for the toxicology reports to come back, which are now expected not so much later this week but more like early next week. we want to get our hands on those as soon as we can. it will reveal so much. right now we've got everybody coming out of the woodwork saying, oh, yeah, i saw michael jackson do this and oh, yeah, he told me he had this. everybody's giving paid interviews and we're talking to unnamed sources. and this is exactly what happens with michael jackson. it's exactly the same thing that happened during the molestation trial. okay. but remember, he was acquitted.
6:48 pm
so we can't jump the gun. let's wait and see. we don't want to all have egg on our face and all of a sudden the toxicology report comes back and it's not exactly what we expected. sure, i'd say if i had to bet money i'd bet money that it will come back with a drug cocktail. but that's just a bet. that's not a sure thing. >> yeah. okay. let's talk about it. i think you have dubbed about the diprivan difference in this. when we compare it to anna nicole smith. in yes, there could have been a cocktail of prescription drugs in the mix but if it's diprivan. and we've talked to attorneys, as well as you have. concerning that. if you find diprivan in his system, you can't administer it to yourself. somebody gave him that. and that is what could take us into a homicide investigation, right, jane? >> that's why i called it the diprivan difference. it took months, and ultimately there were doctors charged in the anna nicole smith case, but it was still ruled an accidental overdose. the theory being that she's an adult and if she wants to drown herself with all this stuff she's actually the one putting the stuff in her mouth.
6:49 pm
but with diprivan it doesn't work that way. it's an iv and a drip, and it knocks you out instantly, and then if you don't continue the drip you come back into consciousness. at least this is what the doctors tell me. so it's not something you can do to yourself. therefore, if he dies of an overdose of diprivan, somebody had to do it to him. the question is what kind of charge comes out of that? involuntary manslaughter? we don't know at this point. >> exactly. i mean, it's irresponsible at least that somebody would be administering to this outside of a hospital because from what we know, the doctors we talked, to that's the only place this should be used, in a hospital setting for surgery. >> it could have been a group of people who one person gets the diprivan from a hospital under false -- basically illegally. >> right. >> it's supposed to only be used in surgery as a knockout drug. so if somebody sees it in a hospital and takes it and then sells it on the black market, that person could be in trouble. and then whoever administered it, if in fact it was administered, that person is in deep doo-doo.
6:50 pm
so we've got possibly a whole range of people who might be in trouble as a result of this, not >> it is i have been credible to watch. it is so clear as you see what he went through. it is sad to see, jane, because you think of him in 1984, he was about 26. it changed his life. >> it really did. >> he never recovered. >> it is wa a pivotal moment. we all know, anybody who has even had a minor burn. i have dropped boiling water on my hand. i know how painful it is. how it goes on for days. imagine having your scalp catch on fire and the kind of pain that that would inspire. i remember years agassiing other footage of michael jackson being wheeled out and fans converging on him. i remember he had his see
6:51 pm
gwenn sequined glove. that was very poignant and tragic in some way that in the midst of this medical drama, he is holding up his sequin glove. it breaks high heart. he was so talented, such a genius, he really was, on every level. a business genius to buy the beetle's catalog. a genius in terms of breaking through to mtv and addiction. i know as a recovering alcoholic with 14 years of sobriety that it is so cunning, baffling and powerful. it waits for weakness and times of trouble to come back and haunt you. i do believe that michael jackson tried to kick it. i talked to a guy that said, oh, yeah, he was supposed to cleanse. >> jane, you are also loose and ready. -d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d
6:52 pm
6:53 pm
6:54 pm
6:55 pm
6:56 pm
6:57 pm
6:58 pm
6:59 pm

204 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on