Skip to main content

tv   This Week With George Stephanopoulos  ABC  December 20, 2015 9:00am-10:00am CST

9:00 am
the man in the line of fire. >> donald trump. >> bringing donald trump back into it. >> reporter: gop front-runner donald trump responds. plus, did bernie sanders do enough to change the race? and new jersey governor chris christie betting it all on new hampshire. donald trump, bernie sanders, chris christie, all here live. >> announcer: from abc news, a special edition of "this week," live from manchester, new hampshire. here now, chief anchor george stephanopoulos. good morning, from new hampshire. we're live from the first primary state this week, here inside the debate hall where the democrats went at it it's the last debate of the year. also the feistyiest. they clashed on taxes, gun control. top issue right now, how to take on isis and protect our home land. donald trump, the only gop candidate mentioned last night. mr. trump joins us live this
9:01 am
bernie sanders and chris christie will be here, too. but we begin with the big moments from last night with jon karl. >> reporter: good morning, george. going into this debate the democratic race was engulfed with allegations that the sanders' campaign stole voter data from hillary clinton's campaign. bernie sanders offered a quick apology. before they turned their attention to neutral enemy -- donald trump. last night's debate started with a surprise -- a mea culpa from bernie sanders. >> not only do i apologize to secretary clinton i want to apologize to my supporters. i run. >> i very much appreciate that comment, bernie, we should move american people are all that >> reporter: throughout the night, clinton and sanders sparred on foreign policy. lead, there is not another leader. there is a vacuum.
9:02 am
policemen of the world, the united states must not be involved in perpetual warfare in the middle east. >> reporter: and on the economy and wall street. >> should corporate america love hillary clinton? >> everybody should. >> and will corporate america love a president sanders? >> no, i don't think they won't. ceo of large multinationals, may like hillary, they're not going to like me. and wall street is going to like me even less. >> reporter: martin o'malley called out both sanders and clinton on gun control. >> senator sanders voted against research dollars against this public health issue. we need common sense gun safety -- >> let's calm down a little bit, martin. do not tell me i haven't shown courage in standing up to the gun people. >> reporter: and all three trained their fire on one man -- gop front-runner donald trump.
9:03 am
american values to racists, to the fascist pleas of billionaires with big mouths. >> someone like donald trump comes along, i know the answer -- that all of the mexicans, they're criminals and rapists. we hate all the muslims because all of the muslims are terrorists. >> he's becoming isis' best recruiter, they're going to people showing videos of donald trump insulting islam and muslims in order to recruit more radical jihadists. >> reporter: as you heard an explosive allegation from hillary clinton against donald trump saying that isis is showing videos of trump to recruit potential new jihadists. we asked the clinton campaign where they got that from, they have not offered any direct evidence that has happened. donald trump tweeted overnight, simply, hillary clinton lied. >> okay, jon karl, thanks very much. let's talk to mr. trump right now. we saw that tweet, mr. trump.
9:04 am
>> of course i'm standing by it. it was vetted. fox news went out in great detail and looked for it and there's no such video. they may make one up knowing the clintons and knowing hillary. she made it up. it was a sound bite. just like bernie sanders lied. he went out and said things that never took place. i never said that about mexicans. i have great relationships with the hispanics. i didn't say what he said. they make up things in the world of politics. they're all talk no action. they're politicians. >> you sure you want to go down that road, the fact-checkers have called you out on false statements on any other candidate? >> i'll go down that road. many of the things that i have said, i think about all of them, they have been controversial at one point, george, but they're not controversial in the end because people start to say, trump is actually right, you go into illegal immigration, everyone now is coming my way. i have been 100% right as far as
9:05 am
the economy is concerned. i have been right more than anybody else by a big factor. >> you haven't come up with a video of those people cheering in new jersey on 9/11. >> i have come up with plenty. there were many other stories written. a lot of people -- thousands of people have been calling and writing and e-mailing, many people saw it, and it was in new jersey and it was also all over the world. george, thers an obvious problem. because all over the world, and you're not even disputing that, people were celebrating all over the world. >> there were people in west bank, not in new jersey. >> of course, there were. george, there were articles written about it, people celebrating. the famous washington post article that he tried to
9:06 am
reason to apologize, there were people celebrating. when the world trade center -- there were people celebrating. >> around the world. let's move on to vladimir putin, you got that praise from vladimir putin. you called it a great honor. he backs our adversaries, like iran and he invades ukraine. >> i have been an extremely successful dealmaker. i know people, because deals are people. i think i'll get along for the good of our country, this is what i want -- make america great again -- i believe i'll get along fine with putin and other leaders. obama doesn't get along with putin. putin can't stand our president, and it's causing us difficulty, and frankly, and i said it a long time ago, if russia wants to bomb the hell out of isis and join us in that effort, i'm fine with that.
9:07 am
liability. if putin respects me and if putin wants to call me brilliant and other things that he said that were frankly very nice, i'll accept that and i'll accept it on the behalf of our country. if we get along well with russia that's a positive thing not a negative thing. >> you want to get along well with putin, you seem to be alienating our allies. you said that angela merkel is ruining germany and here's what david cameron had to say about your proposal to ban muslims. >> i think donald trump's remarks are divisive, stupid and wrong. >> is it wise to be praising our adversaries and alienating our allies? >> george, i know you're having fun. and so am i, if you want to know the truth. the fact is, we have a problem, george, you don't have to admit it, because you want to be politically correct all the
9:08 am
we have the problem and the problem is a very serious problem, you have radicalization of people that happen to be islamic and you have the radical islamic terrorism problem that our president doesn't even want to mention, he doesn't want to use those three words and because he's not mentioning it we're never going to solve it. unless you know what the problem is you can't solve it. so, we have a serious, serious problem, where you look at what happened in california last week, you look at people flying airplanes into the world trade center, you look at many other things that have been happening not only in this country but around the world, including in paris, there's a problem that you have to address. if you don't address it, the problem is just going to worse and worse. people now what was going on in california. other people, outsiders, friends of theirs, knew what was going on in paris.
9:09 am
>> they should turn them in. i agree with you. >> with attitudes like yours, people won't turn them in, people are just going to go along, we have to solve a very serious problem, and if you don't want to talk about it, that's your problem not mine. >> one final question on vladimir putin, when you were pressed about his killing of journalists you said, our country does plenty of killing. >> i think hillary clinton when she was secretary of state made some horrible, horrible decisions, and thousands and thousands of people have been killed. you look at what what went on in libya. she's incompetent. >> that's not killing by the united states government, though, is it? that's not the same as ordering >> as far as the reporters are concerned, obviously, i don't want that to happen. all fairness to putin, you're saying he killed people, i
9:10 am
have you been able to prove that? do you know the names of reporters that he's killed? because i -- you have been hearing this. i haven't seen the name. now, i think it was despicable if that took place. but i haven't seen any evidence that he killed anybody in materials of reporters. >> here's what mitt romney tweeted, there's an important distinction here, thug putin kills journalists and opponents, our presidents kill terrorists and enemy combatants. >> does he know for a fact that he kills reporters? it's possible that he does. i don't think it's been proven. killed reporters? -- >> there have been many allegations -- >> sure, there are allegations. i have read those allegations over the years. but nobody's proven that he's killed anybody. >> so, what killing has the united states government done? >> excuse me, george, let me
9:11 am
if he has killed reporters, that's terrible. he's always denied it. it's never been proven that he's killed anybody. you're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, at least in our country. he's not proven that he's killed reporters. >> but, then, you said, i think our country does plenty of killing, too, what killing are you talking about that? >> take a look at what we're doing in the middle east. we went into iraq, we shouldn't have. i was opposed of going into iraq in 2003/2004. there were headlines in reuters, trump is opposed to the war. because you'll destabilize the middle east and iran will take over. very simple, iran will take over iraq. that's exactly what's happened. on top of that, we have isis. which is another problem and another complicating factor. now, we should have never gone into iraq.
9:12 am
we made a big mistake with libya, we destabilized all of these places. we now have a migration with thousands and hundreds of people -- even millions of people that don't know where they're going. it's a terrible thing. we have been run by incompetent people, incompetent politicians. that's probably why i'm leading so high in the polls. because people are tired of seeing very, very stupid and very, very incompetent people of running our country into the ground. in the meantime, we owe in the meantime, we owe $19 trillion. we better get our act together fast because our country is going down if we don't. >> your comments seem to suggest a moral equivalence of united states to russia. is that what you believe? >> i'm not saying anything. when you say a man has killed reporters i'd like you to prove it. i have never seen any information or any proof that he killed reporters, george, you're
9:13 am
reporters. you and other people tell me he killed reporters. i don't know that. i haven't seen it. if he did it's despicable. it's horrible. but you're making these accusations, and i don't see any proof. by the way, he totally denied that he killed reporters. >> i'm still waiting for ed that we have been directly involve ed involved in killing people as well. >> take a look at -- excuse me, take a look at the rampage all over the place. we spent $2 trillion, okay, thousands of hundreds of people killed, we have lost thousands and thousands of our great young people soldiers. 2 trillion deaths, wounded warriors, we have nothing, and iran is now taking over iraq with the second largest oil reserves in the world. i said when you got out, take
9:14 am
i have been saying that for four years to you and others. didn't get the oil. isis got a lot of the oil. it. because we don't know what we're doing. we're run by people that don't have a clue. vladimir putin. final question about iowa, "the new york times" has a story -- this morning. >> excuse me, iran has been backed by us. you know why, because we made one of the dumbest deals in the history of dealmaking when we gave them a $150 billion, we have 24-day inspections which don't start for a long time. they can self-inspect, and we don't get our prisoners back. we let iran become, it's a terror nation, and we let iran become very powerful. by the way, they don't need to create nuclear because they're now so
9:15 am
directly. so, we're the ones that have really empowered iran not russia. but we, through sheer stupidity of a deal, we're are the ones that truly empowered iran. it's a disgrace. >> we've empowered iran more than russia has? >> george, we just made one of the worst deals i have ever seen in dealmaking. i'm not talking between nations. we don't even get our prisoners back, and now after the deal is made, they want to start talking as a new deal to get our prisoners back and they want a lot for the prisoners, for the four prisoners. >> russia is part of that deal as well. >> hey, you know why, because russia is making a lot of money with the deal, because they're selling missiles and other military armaments to iran. because they're smart. you know what we're getting from that deal?
9:16 am
russia should want them to make the deal because russia's beautiful new, modern missiles. they're selling them to iran because our people don't know what they're doing. of course, russia wanted that deal to be made because they're making -- russia is a negotiator with us at the table. russia wanted iran to make that deal. because they wanted iran to have a lot of money so that russia could take some of that money away from iran because russia is selling them tremendous numbers of missiles and armaments. so, russia, if i was russia i would have wanted that deal done, too, the money by the united states run by incompetent, given to iran, lot of that money is going to russia and other countries to buy
9:17 am
>> i do that. i'm afraid that's all the time we have time for. thank you, mr. trump. >> thank you very much. we're just getting started from here in new hampshire. bernie sanders is up next. we'll hear from the clinton camp, too. and chris christie joins us live. >> announcer: "this week" with george stephanopoulos brought to you by abreva. right when you feel a cold sore, abreva can heal it in as few as two and a half days when used at the first sign. without it the virus spreads from cell to cell. only abreva penetrates deep and starts to work immediately to block the virus and protect healthy cells. you could heal your cold sore, fast, as fast as two and a half days when used at the first sign. learn how abreva starts to work immediately at abreva.com don't tough it out, knock it out, fast. with abreva. this is a story about doers, the artificial heart, electric guitars and rockets to the moon. it's the story of america- land of the doers. doin' it. did it. done.
9:18 am
the dams and the railroads. john henry was a steel drivin' man hmm, catchy. they built the golden gates and the empire states. and all this doin' takes energy -no matter who's doin'. there's all kinds of doin' up in here. or what they're doin'. what the heck's he doin? energy got us here. and it's our job to make sure there's enough to keep doers doin' the stuff doers do... to keep us all doin' what we do. let's get these dayquil liquid gels and go. but these liquid gels are new. mucinex fast max. it's the same difference. this one is max strength and fights mucus. mucinex fast max. the only cold and flu liquid gel that's max-strength and fights mucus.
9:19 am
you see me here with bernie sanders. we're live in new hampshire.
9:20 am
so when my asthma symptoms kept coming back on my long-term control medicine, i talked to my doctor and found a missing piece in my asthma treatment. once-daily breo prevents asthma symptoms. breo is for adults with asthma not well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. breo won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. breo opens up airways to help improve breathing for a full 24 hours. breo contains a type of medicine that increases the risk of death from asthma problems and may increase the risk of hospitalization in children and adolescents. breo is not for people whose asthma is well controlled on a long-term asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. once your asthma is well controlled, your doctor will decide if you can stop breo and prescribe a different asthma control medicine, like an inhaled corticosteroid. do not take breo more than prescribed. see your doctor if your asthma does not improve or gets worse. ask your doctor if 24-hour breo could be a missing piece for you. see if you're eligible for
tv-commercial tv-commercial
9:21 am
does secretary clinton deserve an apology tonight? >> yes, i apologize. >> secretary clinton, do you accept? >> not only do i apologize to
9:22 am
can work together on an independent investigation from day one, i want to apologize to my supporters. this is not the type of campaign that we have and if i find anybody else involved in this, they will also be fired. >> opening moments last night with senator bernie sanders, he joins us live here in new hampshire this morning. i want to get to that in a second, but first, you just heard donald trump called you out, saying you lied. >> i tell you, he's rather extraordinary. i think, and i say this straightforwardly, i think you have a pathological liar right there. most of what he says is a distortion of facts. he's saying over and over again that he saw thousands of people in new jersey celebrating 9/11 the destruction of the twin towers, either that's true or or not true.
9:23 am
have been a lot of research, they archive what goes on tv. you're a tv guy, everything we are saying is going to be archived. nobody has seen a tape of thousands of people celebrating the destruction of the twin towers in new jersey. it doesn't exist, and he keeps claiming that. that's called pathologically lying. yes, a few moments ago, he accused me of lying. what i said last night he suggested that mexicans who are coming to this country are criminals and rapists, that's exactly what he said. what somebody like a donald trump is doing is playing on the fears and anxieties of the american people and people are afraid. they're afraid of terrorism, rightfully so. they're anxious about an economy in which the middle class is disappearing. people are worried about the future for their kids. these are legitimate fears. so, instead of having a rational
9:24 am
wall street, what trump is, it's all the muslims' fault. >> how do you explain why that's doing so well right now? >> because it's an easy solution. how do we rebuild the middle class? well, you're going to have to stand up to corporate america. you're going to have to stand up to wall street. by rebuilding our infrastructure. you'll have to provide health care to all people. what trump says, this is what demagogues have done. are you nervous, are you scared, frightened for terrorism. it's the muslims out there are terrorists. we have stop them coming into this country. it's the mexicans, it's the immigrants who are coming in. they're all rapists and criminals. meanwhile, trump is saying the middle wage in america, $7.25,
9:25 am
low minimum wage. this guy trump is saying, we need to give billions of dollars of tax breaks to the very richest people in this country. >> how do you defeat that? >> by going out to the working people of this country and making it clear, if we're going to create an economy that works for our kids and for working families, we have to do it together. and understand the real causes. the greed of corporate america. the greed of wall street. not some poor mexican who's in this country trying to live on $7 a country. >> i want to ask you about that moment about the apology on the bat that breach by one of your staffers. you suspended two more staffers. is that it, is the discipline finished? >> we're still trying to figure out. one thing that bothered me, as i understand it, the dnc has been giving out information to the media, giving out before the clinton campaign before we're even getting it.
9:26 am
caused by a dnc vendor, all right, it's at least the second. and what i want to see is an independent investigation going on in this campaign. >> you sals said last night that you're not convinced that the clinton team didn't take a look at the data, do you have evidence of that? >> no. the first time it happened and when my staff saw it, they said, wait, this is really bad. they went to the dnc and went to the vendor. second time, one or more of my staff acted inappropriately. i want an independent investigation. i'm saying it's absolutely a possibility. >> your campaign has been pretty tough on the dnc. your campaigning manager has said that they're actively trying to undermine our campaign, even sabotage, is that what you believe? >> look, a staff member or more on my team acted
9:27 am
we're going to deal with that. but, to shut off access to my campaign's information, what word would you use? sabotage? we -- those are the people we're we for two days couldn't access that information. that's total overreaction. what should have been done, between the teams, quietly, we got a problem, how are we going not leaking stuff to "the washington post." and certainly not separating us and preventing us from getting the information we need to run a >> big difference between you and secretary clinton last night on the issue of taxes, she made a pledge of not raising taxes. you talked about the tax to pay for the family leave bill. you said it was about $1.61 for a family each week. that's not it. how are you going to pay for the rest of it? we're going to provide free tuition to public colleges and universities. by imposing a tax on wall street
9:28 am
that tax will pay completely for public tuition at public colleges and universities and substantially lower interest rates on student debt. we're going to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure. through a trillion-dollar investment to create jobs by doing aaway with the loopholes that currently exist by which corporations can stash their money in cayman islands. we're going to raise social security benefits, expand benefits by lifting the cap on taxable income going into social security. people making $250,000 a year or more will pay the same percentage of their income. >> still have to pay health care? >> no, that will expand social security benefits for people who are trying to live on $12,000 or $13,000 a year. but in terms of this -- the united states is the only major country on the earth doesn't have paid family and
9:29 am
it's a disgrace. every other country on earth has paid family and medical leave. i'm supporting legislation introduced in the house and progressive democrats onboard, it will cost a $1.61 a week. >> is that it? middle class? >> that's it. >> final question on the regime change, the big difference you said last night between you and secretary clinton, but where is the difference going forward? >> i don't agree with the no-fly zone in syria, i think it can get us sucked into some serious problems in the area. i think absolutely there has to be a strong international coalition -- and this is what i believe -- king abdullah of jordan has made this point, the war that's going
9:30 am
what he believes and i believe -- muslim troops themselves, muslim countries have to come together on the ground to take on isis. what i also believe is that wealthy countries, like qatar, the wealthiest country on earth, spending 2020$2020 billion on the world cup, they're hosting the world cup in 2022, they'll have to help us destroy isis. we'll be right back with governor chris christie. >> announcer: "this week" with george stephanopoulos brought to you by carmax. to the couple who set aside the whole day to sell their old car and buy a new one... oops. nana's got the kids til 9... but it's only 2. guess you'll just have to see a movie... ...then get some dinner.
9:31 am
this is a story about doers, the artificial heart, electric guitars and rockets to the moon. it's the story of america- land of the doers. doin' it. did it. done. doers built this country. the dams and the railroads. john henry was a steel drivin' man hmm, catchy. they built the golden gates and the empire states. and all this doin' takes energy -no matter who's doin'. there's all kinds of doin' up in here. or what they're doin'. what the heck's he doin? energy got us here. and it's our job to make sure there's enough to keep doers doin' the stuff doers do... to keep us alloin' what we do. what if the sweet stevia leaf was discovered... ...before the sugarcane. all our favorite sugary foods would be our favorite truvia-y foods. truvia. life with less sugar is just as sweet.
9:32 am
candidates here in new hampshire, governor chris christie right here. we'll be right back.x: (drums) this is the one place we're not afraid to fail. some of these experiments may not work. but a few might shape the future. like turning algae into biofuel... ...new technology for capturing co2 emissions... ...and cars twice as efficient as the average car today. ideas exxonmobil scientists are working on to make energy go further... ...no matter how many tries it takes. energy lives here. are you curious? do you wonder why things work? do you look at things and say "i can make that better"? these questions, these curiosities then lead to discoveries...
9:33 am
to the energy solutions for the next 50 years. we have big, big challenges. one challenge is to capture the co2 before it's released into the atmosphere. we captured more than 6 million tons in 2014 alone. that's the equivalent of eliminating the annual emissions of more than one million cars. in the longer term, we are working on how to convert algae into biofuels. the ultimate objective is to be able to put it into an existing car, to not have to redo the engine. that could be one of the very important parts of the energy equation in the future. we want to drive our scientists, we want to drive our engineers, to never be satisfied with where we are today. because there are always better ways to do things. i'm vijay swarup, and i am a scientist at exxonmobil. hi, i'm henry winkler and i'm here to tell homeowners that are sixty-two and older about a great way to live a better retirement... it's called a reverse mortgage.
9:34 am
free dvd and booklet with no obligation. it answers questions like... how a reverse mortgage works, how much you qualify for, the ways to receive your money... and more. plus, when you call now, you'll get this magnifier with led light absolutely free! when you call the experts at one reverse mortgage today, you'll learn the benefits of a government-insured reverse mortgage. it will eliminate your monthly mortgage payments and give you tax-free cash from the equity in your home and here's the best part... you still own your home. take control of your retirement today! janet? cough if you can hear me. don't even think about it. i took mucinex dm for my phlegmy cough. yeah...but what about mike? it works on his cough too. cough! it works on his cough too.
9:35 am
let's end this. and we're back here live in new hampshire. joining us now governor chris christie, you're moving up in the polls. we got a lot to talk about. i know it's not your favorite subject, but i got to begin with donald trump. you heard bernie sanders call him a pathological liar. your response to what he said this morning? >> listen, there's a lot he said this morning. i will just say this, one, i was in new jersey on september 11th and thousands of people simply were not celebrating in jersey city. the former state attorney general closely watching this, a republican, back in 2001, said it's not true. secondly, on putin, i'll say the same thing that i said yesterday, i wouldn't want the
9:36 am
>> you have also said we're already in world war iii. you said what are the implications of that right now and you have also said that if donald trump gets the nomination, your comfortable with him as commander-in-chief, are you really comfortable with him as commander in chief in a world war ii three? >> more comfortable than secretary clinton. she said last night, we're finally where we need to be on isis. >> we're not? >> oh, my gosh. with dead bodies in paris. with dead bodies in san bernardino. with no plan by this administration on how to deal with this. we're finally where we need to be? mrs. clinton is mrs. happy talk. she wants to happy talk her way to the presidency. she's the personification of this administration. are you going to believe me or your lying eyes? i mean so, the fact is that's not where we need to be. >> you called for a no-fly zone, big difference, you're willing to put ground troops on the ground in iraq, in syria? >> well, yeah, that's one of the big differences.
9:37 am
last night refused to answer the question about libya. now, this was her strategy and three times, i think, elizabeth asked her -- martha rather asked her about the responsibility she bears in libya, she refused to answer it. she bears a lot. if libya was a shining success and was a democracy, mrs. clinton would be dancing around the stage talking about how it was her idea and she recommended it to the president. just like the president saying he wants to close guantanamo. when 30% now by his own analysis, 30% of people he released from guantanamo have gone back into the terrorist fight against the united states, how can you possibly think about closing guantanamo? this is this tone-deaf
9:38 am
a guyieuy yesterday who said he doesn't understand the anxieties of american. >> going forward, are you sure americans are ready to accept another u.s. intervention, ground troops in the middle east? >> no, i'm not sure. and it's the job of the president of the united states to make the case. if you believe that's where the country needs to go, then you have a responsibility -- excuse me, you have a responsibility to make the case to the american people. that's what i'll do when i'm president. >> sanders made the argument it has to be the muslim troops taking a lead on the ground. >> i don't disagree with that. we need to be a part of it and so the europeans. because the threat from isis is not just to us but to the muslim countries and to the europeans. and as the jordanian pilot that was burned in the cage, king abdullah knows that it's to his people as well. >> you have been moving up in new hampshire. a super pac aligned with john
9:39 am
now. >> tonight, our very basic and have been agreed to by all three >> that's not the john kasich. the point is you're making, your state is in deficit. his state is in surplus. >> my state is not in deficit. that's wrong. in fact, what our state has done over the course of last six years, created thousands of private sector jobs. and this year, 2015 is the best year of private sector job growth in new jersey in 15 years. >> your credit has also been downgraded several times? >> sure has. you know why, i'm cleaning up the mess indiana hernted and honestly. listen, they want to have a debate about the new jersey record, bring it on, i'm ready to have it. >> rand paul is ready to have that debate as well. i think we have the sound bite. >> we sabotaged all of these video clips, george.
9:40 am
it was fabulous. >> i think when we think about the judgment about world war iii, someone might shut down a bridge because they don't like their friends. >> donald trump has been talking about this as well. do you think you'll be able to start to do better in new hampshire? >> there is no issue. that was commentary from a desperate candidate on the last legs of his campaign. he was flailing away at everyone on that stage. he reminded me of bobby jindal in the undercard debate in the last debate. >> you're betting it all on new hampshire right now. but what about after, you know, a lot of your opponents have said you don't have much of an organization in south carolina? how do you capitalize? even if you do well here.
9:41 am
months ago. no one was worried about that. here's what happened, the power of our idea and our campaign and momentum will carry us in the other states as well. you have seen this happen time and time again in presidential politics. what happens in iowa and new hampshire helps to reconfigure the race. if the communications director's biggest problem is, how do i hire more people? i think we'll accept that problem. >> that's all the time we have for today. governor christie, thank you for joining this morning. and we'll be right back with
9:42 am
campaign. we're back now with jennifer palmieri. the clinton campaign communications director of the clinton campaign. we have to begin with secretary clinton giving it to the republican candidates last night. your response to donald trump this morning? >> you know, donald trump i think was talking -- what secretary clinton was saying last night, one of the many dangerous things about donald trump is that his hot rhetoric saying we shouldn't allow muslim refugees is being used -- an international group that
9:43 am
videos. >> what they have said, they're using him, he's being used in social media by isis as propaganda. don't have a particular video in mind but he's being used in social media. what they haven't found is a video that you know mr. trump keeps talking about this alleged mystery video of thousands of people in new jersey cheering the collapse of the world trade center. it's true he's being used in social media by isis. >> but to be fair you don't have a video -- >> to help recruiting. i'm not referring to a specific video. but he is being used in social media by isis. an international group, they monitor isis on social media. they monitor other terrorist groups on social media to see what they are using. and they say they are using him as propaganda to help recruit supporters. >> how about comments by christie?
9:44 am
be on isis. >> so, she wasn't saying where we need to be on isis. in the last three weeks, she's given two major foreign policy speeches. how to defeat isis globally and how to protect the homeland. she was very clear last night that we have to defeat isis. what she was referring to, we're in a much better position to deal with syria and the political transition that we hope to see there from the u.n. security council voting on friday. to start a new process on political transition there. that's what she's referring to. and that's a really important development there. we're able to have that process go forward in syria. you got to do both things at once, deal with what's happening on the ground in syria and come together on a peace process as well as combat isis on the ground. >> the data breach issue, is it over? >> senator sanders was gracious,
9:45 am
she appreciated the apology. it's a serious matter, though, what happened. it's a very serious matter. we're glad that there's going to be an independent audit of it. but i don't think we should discount what happened here. they went in, took data, they tried to save it. it's proprietary data. stuff that our volunteers and our campaign worked very hard to create. >> you're sure the clinton campaign didn't do the same thing? >> yes, we're absolutely sure. a time where everyone, the network was open but it was clear that neither campaign did anything to try to breach that. we never did that. >> on the issue of taxes last night, secretary clinon said, as a pledge, no tax increases under $250,000. couple of two weeks ago, that was her goal. this is not at the expense of a
9:46 am
class. she has a very robust agenda. but she has other ways of paying for it. he outlined it last week. you don't need to do it by
9:47 am
class. fun. now, this is getting to be fun. >> this is fun. we believe secretary clinton will be coming around the corner at any minute. >> sorry. >> you're the one we have to follow this rule, break it off. >> but the rule includes, people -- all right. >> thank you, good night, and may the force be with you. >> some of the lighter moments from last night's debate here with our roundtable joined by
9:48 am
democratic strategist also abc contributor, and ana navarro, supporter of jeb bush. and matthew dowd. let's talk about the debate first off, ana, you're from the republican perspective, what did you see last night, who won? >> it's hard to tell who won. in the last debate, i think hillary clinton did a wall street answer was a big faux pas. with democratic primary voters. yesterday, she had three problems. last night, she claimed that donald trump was -- there was a donald trump video out there that no one has ever seen for the recruitment of isis. you know, i'm not sure that secretary clinton should go out there talking about videos that do not exist. second of all, i think when she called the problems with obamacare glitches. i think that's going to come back to haunt her.
9:49 am
fighting against isis. >> but i think, look, we're in what i call the last phase of the campaign when you basically tell all the staff at headquarters, it's time to go to des moines and cedar rapids and you try to win. she has to do well in iowa in order to beat back a very strong grassroots campaign by bernie sanders. she did herself very well last night. once again, she was able to respond to all of the attacks and take on the gop front-runner. >> everybody wanted donald trump last night? >> yeah, exactly. everybody was after him. it serves dual purposes. its helps donald trump. in the course of today, we'll be talking more about donald trump had to say about iran and putin than the democratic debate. but it also helps the democrats. because he has horribly favorable numbers. he's the leading candidate. i think all of the democrats should have been happy about
9:50 am
they all brought their a-game in the course of that. hillary clinton is still the dominant force in this. but i think bernie sanders does have an outside shot. >> then what? it doesn't go anywhere. >> wait, if you win iowa and new hampshire -- >> but, then still, then what? you still have a 74-year-old far to the left to win a general election. and so what you have to figure out is, if he's going to be winning the democratic nomination, is there somebody else? >> i actually don't think he's far to the left to win. in the course of america today, there's no conservatives left in the democratic party and there's no liberals left in the republican party at all. and if bernie sanders happens to win it, which i think is very
9:51 am
>> let me tell you, i was at the vegas debate on yesterday -- bernie sanders sounded a lot like ted cruz and rand paul like me and hillary clinton sounded like lindsey graham. she's more hawkish and more to the right. i think you're seeing a lib trainer spectrum in the republican party. >> you definitely you're seeing that right now. just making. all the way, you have a seriously wounded front-runner. if that's the case. hillary has to win iowa. >> well, look, i think so. she lost it before by a very small percentage point. in terms of john edwards. but i think she has to win it. she's poised to win it because she's been there, she's been organized and she has great people on the ground. but you know, beyond iowa and new hampshire, she has south carolina and nevada, she's strong there.
9:52 am
about matt dowd -- who's been doing a bromance also with donald trump -- >> no, i'm not doing any bromance with donald trump. i just look at the data. >> i understand it's about the numbers. but donald trump is selling attitude. when i listen to him this morning, maybe i haven't been to church yet today, he's selling attitude, he's not selling substance. i think the republicans are going to flame out soon. ted cruz who's driving a very strong campaign, ted cruz is somebody that the republicans >> i agree with you. i think he's been calculated. he stroked donald trump's ego until he stopped. you know, very recently. >> but your candidate, now, jeb bush is basically making his campaign here in new hampshire taking on donald trump, can that work? >> thank god, i think jeb has to focus new hampshire. we're seeing it's paying off for chris christie. new hampshire likes for new hampshire to be number one and the priority.
9:53 am
can be competitive. you got a kasich and a chris christie who are in the race -- >> the problem jeb has, he's a very decent man, he's a great leader and governor of florida. it's not the same republican party anymore. the republican party, the mainstream of the republican party is represented by ted cruz and donald trump. when you take a look at their stands on immigrants and muslims, exactly the same. when you take a look at that, jeb bush doesn't fit the republican party of 2015. >> hold on. >> it shows him being tough and that's what he has to show. you know, trump has really shaped the narrative. so, for instance, in the new hampshire paper this morning, the headline is, "bush brings energy to town hall," that's all trump has been saying about him.
9:54 am
tough and see what happens. >> actually, cokie, the only person that has the guts and showed it to do it publicly is jeb bush. >> bobby jindal did it. rick perry did it. >> right, but they're no longer relevant. >> but when you have a guy of high unfaves attacking a guy with high faves -- >> they need a lee atwater. lee atwater, someone who can go after donald trump's strength. i mean, that's the problem. you hit him at his weakness. >> what does that mean exactly? >> look, the guy is a big bloviator, bully. you need someone to go after that. if you're not going to do that, donald trump can come back and say -- absolutely, you cannot do that. that's right. >> not for a long time. i think people have recognized that this is a real problem. there's real angst in the republican base and in the country.
9:55 am
if hillary loses iowa. what if trump gets beat in iowa? he's lagging in organization, does that matter and does he stop winning when he loses? is that it for him? >> i think it matter -- the bredth of cruz's win matters. if this happens, then ted cruz it then basically becomes a two-person very competitive race heading into south carolina where i think ted cruz has a lot of support. a total two-person race. >> trump is strong in south carolina. >> yeah, but when that bump happens, if ted cruz wins iowa, this becomes a two-person race. >> i think you have seen trump go nuclear. >> go nuclear? >> more so. >> but this whole thing is i'm a winner and so being a loser could be an issue. >> that's what we're going to find out. >> incredibly interesting to
9:56 am
democrats are most concerned about -- marco rubio governor christie, jeb bush, john kasich, all right neck and neck. >> that's right. look, marco rubio has a problem, he ran as somebody when he ran for the senate that he was going to reform, he ran against immigration, he was for immigration, we don't know where marco rubio stands. i think he has to sort it out himself. meanwhile, i think, those, like governor christie, who's spending time here. governor christie is doing the right thing. you got to figure out where you win. >> you know, i think it's important that marco rubio and ted cruz, who i think are very evenly matched and such talented politicians, very different styles, i think they need to move on from this back and forth. it's like young bucks locking horns over immigration. it's been going on -- this
9:57 am
said, it's like a senate re-election battle. >> we said this thing about this, hillary clinton, if she wins the nomination, she'll be one of the weakest general election candidates that we have seen in the democratic party in a long time. >> i disagree. >> majority of people don't trust her, don't like her. the country is off on the wrong track. they want different policies than barack obama. i'm not saying she can't win, but she's vulnerable. >> ten seconds you know what, her strength is connecting with people and understanding what they need and she'll fight for them. i don't think she's weak at all. >> they like her policies. >> she's getting better at connecting. that's all the time we have for today. have a great christmas.
9:58 am
morning america." >> announcer: the following paid presentation is for the worx switchdriver, featuring diy tv host and contractor jeff devlin. >> ever seen a drill do this? i just switched from a drill to
9:59 am

63 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on