Skip to main content

tv   This Week With George Stephanopoulos  ABC  October 29, 2017 8:00am-9:00am PDT

8:00 am
"this week" with george stephanopoulos starts right now. >> special counsel robert mueller's grand jury approves the first charges in the russia investigation. arrests as early as tomorrow. who is the mystery target? how close to the white house? all the fallout. and -- >> it was almost a love-fest. >> the president rallies his party behind tax cuts. after a one-two punch from republican senators. >> i rise today to say enough. >> i would just like for him to leave to it the professionals. >> as critics abandon the senate, it's trump's party now. can he lead to it legislative success? or will civil war sink the gop? plus -- >> i have been silenced for 20 years. >> silent no more. >> we're going to be vocal until this stops. >> as more powerful men take the fall for sexual harassment. the explosive call to action sweeping hollywood, corporate
8:01 am
america, and capitol hill. >> many of us in congress know what it's like. >> we'll break down the politics, smoke out the spin, the facts that matter "this week." good morning. from the start of his presidency, the russia investigation has bedeviled president trump. he's raged about it in private. railed against it in public. calling it fake news. a witch hunt. it's caused him to fire fbi director james comey. a dramatic move that directly triggered the appointment of special counsel robert mueller. now, five months into his work, mueller's grand jury has approved charges against the first target. who that target is, what those charges are, still unknown. an indictment and arrest could be announced as early as tomorrow, which means the fallout has just begun. we're going to get reaction from adam schiff and new jersey governor chris christie, a trump ally, who was also a federal prosecutor.
8:02 am
first from our abc team. senior justice correspondent pierre thomas. good morning, pierre. >> reporter: george, good morning. the special counsel's team sought charges against at least one unidentified target. sources say an indictment announcement and arrest could come possibly as early as on monday. a spokesman is declining to comment. we don't yet have any specifics on who would be charged or what those charges might be. what we do know is that the special counsel team is investigating whether there was collusion between associates of then candidate donald trump and russian officials on the 2016 election. mueller is looking into the financial dealings of a number of key associates, including former campaign manager paul manafort and former national security adviser michael flynn. cesomanafort say they have no indication that charges are imminent. no response from people close to michael flynn. while it's unclear how significant these first charges will be, it does send a clear message that prosecutors believe
8:03 am
a crime has been committed. and shows everyone involved probably needs to take stock that this is a serious matter, george. >> it means all eyes will be on that courthouse thunderstorm -- tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m. let's bring in our senior white house correspondent, cecilia vega. they seemed to be blind sided? >> yes. we know the president's legal team has been busy meeting and making phone calls. from what we have been told of the president's lawyers and his aides, they still have no idea ho this is. there's a lot of guessing happening behind the scenes. are people nervous? aides have obtained lawyers. we know that the president is picking up the tab for some of that. everyone i've been speaking to expects to be brought in at some point in some capacity, for interviews and whatnot. even with the big development, i don't expect the standard response on this to change. they maintain this is a witch hunt. the president talks about that a lot. and as it relates to who funded the controversial russian dossier back in the news, they say the focus should be on
8:04 am
democrats and hillary clinton. we remember the president's former campaign manager, corey lewandowski, he calls the speculation about mueller's charges, quote, insane. that gives you a good idea of what they're thinking. so far, from the president himself, no public reaction. no tweets. not yet any way. >> yeah, not yet this morning. cecilia vega, thank you very much. let's bring in chief legal analyst dan abrams. why would something like this be kept secret? >> typically, because you don't want the defendant to know. you don't want the defendant to try to destroy evidence. you don't want potential co-defendants to act out. it is specifically targeting the person who is going to be arrested and saying, we don't want this person to know. >> and when we find out who that person is that will reveal a fair amount about mueller's strategy. >> the big question becomes, is the strategy going to be first go for a little fish to try to get that person to turn? typically, that's what you would do.
8:05 am
you first try to indict. put pressure on a smaller fish in an effort to get that person to turn and testify against a bigger one. >> but this is complicated by the fact that in this case, the president has pardon powers. >> and as a result, the rules go out the window. the fact that the president can pardon any of these people on any federal crime. doesn't necessarily mean on a state crime. but on a federal crime, it means they can be thinking, feeling, you know what? if i get indicted, that's okay. i'm not going to respond to the pressure from the federal authorities. the way that someone ordinarily would because i know that i'm ultimately going to get pardoned. that's going to be a really big question both for mueller's team and the potential defendants. >> thank you, dan. let's bring in a man who has prosecuted cases. governor chris christie. thanks for coming in this morning. >> my pleasure, george. >> so what is your reaction to this news? >> i would respond to one thing dan said. that is a normal course of things. when you're going after the smaller fish to get the bigger fish, you usually don't charge them. that stuff is working behind the scenes.
8:06 am
you want to keep that smaller fish having turned secret. because it helps them to be able to gather more information. sometimes they can wear a wire for you. sometimes they can gather information where, if they're quiet, you're going to get it. if everyone knows they're charged, they're going to be treated like they're radio active. no one wants to be near them. no one is going to talk to them. i think what appears to be going on here is he's approaching this as a normal case with discreet type of charges that may wind up intersecting. may not. not keeping it all together for a big report like ken starr did. >> to you agree with dan on why this is being kept secret? >> first off, it's supposed to be kept secret. let's remember, too, dan knows this. there are very strict criminal laws about disclosing grand jury information. depending upon who disclosed this to cnn, it could be a crime. >> do you think it's mueller's team? >> i would hope not. because, listen, as aprosecute
8:07 am
-- prosecutor, that is something we emphasized. let me tell you something. we'll prosecute you if we find out you leaked this stuff. we have to have the public's confidence many the fact that the grand jury system is secret and fair. if you're leaking stuff, it happens, but you shouldn't be doing it. but again. we don't know who leaked it. to cnn. it wouldn't be a crime if prosecutors or agents leaked it. if defense lawyers leaked it, it could not be -- >> anybody been before the grand jury can talk about. >> right. but the people that went before the grand jury wouldn't know there are charges. you get in there, you testify, you get out. i think what is important is what we don't know. we don't know who this person is. we don't know what the charges are. we don't know anything except that there's a report that someone says there will be charges on monday and there is a sealed indictment. once that happens, we'll have a lot more to react to. the one thing that is clear here, i heard someone say, are people nervous?
8:08 am
believe me, if you're the person, you know. i mean, you have already been told you're a target. your lawyers, they have to advise you of your status as to whether you're a target. if you're told you're a target, believe me. you're not sleeping well anyway. >> how about this notion that the president has pardon power. there's been some talk that the president might issue preemptive pardons of mueller targets. before a trial. would that be appropriate? >> i have never seen the president talk about that. i think, quite frankly, to have those con vversations now about pardons -- if anybody is sitting around thinking i don't have to worry about anything, because the president will pardon me, they should talk to scooter libby. they should talk to others who thought they were going to be pardoned. all the people involved in watergate. and the pardons they thought they were going to be getting from president nixon. they're still waiting. right? that's a very important power to use. and i haven't heard the president say anything like that. i think we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. certainly, those people shouldn't be sitting around saying, no problem.
8:09 am
>> they're looking at sheriff arpaio. right? >> it's a different circumstance. >> i think it is. but i think that's what led people to say, wait a second. this is a president ready, willing, and able to cruise his pardon power. >> but much different circumstances. >> the president pardoning someone here would be explosive. >> it's a big step. i think the other important thing for people to remember is that the last public word was that the president himself was not under investigation. >> how do we know that? we know that the white house chief of staff, former white house chief of staff reince priebus has been interviewed. we know that sean spicer has been questioned. we know they are questioned about the possibility of obstruction of justice. you would assume that means there's some kind of investigation into the president. it may come to nothing, but we don't know. >> i don't know that you can assume that. i used to love -- when i was u.s. attorney, the greatest part of my job was, only i know what i know. everybody speculates. everybody outside speculates. some of it is educated speculation.
8:10 am
like dan and i are involved in. we have experience. i think in the end, we would both be willing to admit, we have no idea. >> how about robert mueller? back in august, you said he's a good man. you worked with him when you were a prosecutor. he was fbi director. on friday, you seemed to suggest it might the appropriate for him to step aside. >> i said if certain facts come out regarding his involvement in other matters, he would have to continue to evaluate that. let me be clear about it. he has an obligation and i think a heightened obligation to be evaluating all the time new facts that come in. do they put him in a compromised position? and if they do, he has to recuse. because the public already is nervous about this. the attorney general of the united states has recused himself from it. the justice system is not working how it normally does. if there are questions about director mueller. he has to really -- >> you haven't seen that yet. >> no. no. i said on friday if certain facts develop on whether it's his relationship with director
8:11 am
comey or other issues, he has to think about that. >> let me ask you a final question. you're also the chair of the president's opioid commission. he took your suggestion to declare it an emergency. he's taking some criticism for not saying, i need this much money. >> it think it will be a subject of conversation with congress. there was a $45 billion proposal that was part of the graham-cassidy legislation. i think the president has to sit down with congress and congress has to put this money in. the public health energy fund has only $57,000 in it. it's time to fund that. i would say that you're going to see this president initially ask for billions of dollars to deal with this. the other thing people need to know. i want to bring up briefly. he talked about changing the medicaid rules. said he's going to. that is going to open up thousands of medicaid beds across the country for poor people who need drug treatment to get it. that will be game-changing on the ground in individual states like mine and others. so money is being committed. now it's congress' job. i heard congresswoman pelosi
8:12 am
say, where's the money? i said, i read the constitution. you appropriate. not the president. get appropriating. we'll see what the president will sign. >> thank you, governor. >> thank you, george. let's bring in congressman adam schiff. >> good morning. >> sit your conclusion that the president is not under investigation? >> i can't comment. i can't answer it one way or the other. >> you wouldn't know if robert mueller is investigating the president? >> i can't comment on that at all. >> what is your reaction to the news there may be a sealed indictment? >> well, there are two people, i think, just from pesz reporting that it is likely to be. either mike flynn or paul manafort. we haven't been informed. i don't think it would be appropriate for bob mueller to tell us. if it is paul manafort, and he reportedly has told people he expects to be indicted, it may
8:13 am
help us answer one very central question in the investigation. that is, we know that the russian government, through intermediaries, was reaching out to the trump campaign. to paul manafort and others. offering information on hillary clinton they thought would help the trump campaign. that the campaign was willing and accepted that idea. we know from "the washington post" reporting, contemporaneously to that, paul manafort is reaching out to the kremlin through oligarchs. offering information in exchange for money. money he believed was ode him for work in ukraine for a pro-russia party. the question is, who gave what to whom, as a result of these overtures? the fact that these requests are moving in opposite directions, and what information would mr. manafort have to offer the russians? what would the president do on sanctions? that would be the most important information the kremlin would want. if it is him, it may help us answer those questions. >> how about this question of the president's pardon power? and whether or not it would be appropriate for him to issue preemptive pardons before a
8:14 am
trial. >> well, the arpaio pardon was a horrible precedent. because that case wasn't even finished. the president was essentially sending message, i won't even wait until the criminal cases are over to give a pardon. i don't think the president's power is all that absolute. as people have been suggesting. the president can't pardon people if it's an effort to obstruct justice. if it's an effort to keep bob mueller and others from learning the president's conduct. it would have the effect of nullifying vast portions of the constitution. the president could tell justice department officials and other law enforcement officials to violate the law. if they did and it was brought up, they were brought up on charges, he would pardon them. one principle of constitutional interpretation is that you don't interpret one power as nullifying all of the others. i think it would be a problem for the president if it's part of an effort to obstruct
8:15 am
justice. >> i think we also learned this week that the dnc and the clinton campaign, through their attorney, helped fund this fusion gps effort to create this dossier, this so-called dossier on whether the trump campaign was colluding with the russians. we know that the washington free beacon, a conservative website, had been paying fusion gps as well. this has now become a subject for congress. congressional investigations. along with another investigation back in 2010 in the u.s. uranium industry -- the russian investment into it. the white house citing that this is a sign of collusion on both sides. >> we know fusion gps began as a republican effort. it was later picked up by the democrats. so none of that is all that surprising. i think that is a factor to be considered in weighing the credibility of what fusion gps produced. who was paying for it? >> should it have been disclosed earlier? >> i can't answer that. i certainly would have liked to
8:16 am
have known who paid for it earlier. nonetheless, that's just one factor to be considered. it doesn't answer the ultimate question, which is, how much of the the work is accurate? how much of it is true? my colleagues don't seem interested in that question. that is the most important question for the american people. how much of this allegation that christopher steel makes and the reports that he hears, are true about the russian government wanting to help the trump campaign? a lot of that has been corroborated. >> i wanted to ask that. there are some things in the dossier proven to be untrue. michael cohen according to his passport wasn't in prague. during the summer of 2016. what do you believe in the dossier has been corroborated? >> the most significant thing to me is that christopher steel may have found out, even before our own intelligence agencies, that the russians were, in fact, aiming to help donald trump in the election.
8:17 am
that has been borne out from ample evidence from individual sources and the social media campaign. very demonstrably pro-trump, anti-clinton. that central conclusion has been borne out. the question we continue to investigate is, was the campaign coordinating in the russian help? now that still remains to be seen. there's certainly evidence that is highly suggestive of that, in terms of the meeting in trump tower. a lot more work needs to be done. i want to say this on the uranium one situation. if the president weighed in with the justice department to get that investigation going by ordering them to lift the gag rule. >> the white house said don mcgann did contact the justice department. is there that's not only unet kl but it's a violation of rules. if members of congress are willing to cover for that or worse, become complicit in that, and that was the word jeff flake used, in what i think is the most significant speech in congress in the 17 years i have been there.
8:18 am
if we allow ourselves in congress to become complicit to up ethic unethical processes by the president. by intervening with a gag rule. interviewing u.s. attorneys in new york who may oversee potential prosecutions of the president's interests. by picking someone, confirming someone nominated to head the criminal division of the justice department who happens to be the lawyer for alpha bank, we become complicit in that kind of conduct. we will have to answer to history. >> it does appear republicans and democrats on your committee. the house intelligence committee, are now working at cross purposes. has the congressional investigation, in your committee, become a sideshow? >> it's not a side show. we continue the hard work of getting to the bottom of what happened. we faced serious obstacles. many of them go back to our chairman. who, i think, all too often, has been willing to further the work and the viewpoint of the white house.
8:19 am
irrespective of what we're finding in the investigation. that is unhelpful. but nonetheless, there are plenty of us, democrats and republicans, who continue to review the documents, interview the witnesses. it's still my hope that we can come to a common conclusion. but, it has been tough. i won't -- i won't deny that for a minute. >> congressman schiff, thank you for your time this morning. >> thanks, george. we'll be right back with "the roundtable." not all fish oil supplements provide the same omega-3 power. introducing megared advanced triple absorption it supports your heart, joints, brain, and eyes. and is absorbed by your body three times better. so one megared has more omega-3 power than three standard fish oil pills.
8:20 am
megared advanced triple absorption. we cut the price of trades to give investors even more value. and at $4.95, you can trade with a clear advantage. fidelity, where smarter investors will always be. and at $4.95, you can trade with a clear advantage. retail. under pressure like never before. and it's connected technology that's moving companies forward fast. e-commerce. real time inventory. virtual changing rooms. that's why retailers rely on comcast business to deliver consistent network speed across multiple locations. every corporate office, warehouse and store near or far covered. leaving every competitor, threat and challenge outmaneuvered. comcast business outmaneuver.
8:21 am
your to-do list if yjust keeps growing. me, (laughs desperately) it never stops. which is why the online financing application at carmax.com is so convenient. get some of that finance stuff out of the way from wherever you are, at the doctor's office, karate practice or my favorite... back at the doctor's office. knowing before you go means more quality time sewing a costume for the school play that is not going to look anything like a frog. just a little heads-up, mrs. davis... ha ha ha, yay kids! we cut the price of trades to give investors even more value. and at $4.95, you can trade with a clear advantage.
8:22 am
fidelity, where smarter investors will always be. we're back with "the roundtable." joined by matthew dowd. katie walsh shields. deputy chief of staff in the trump white house. roland martin, host and managing editor of news one now. democratic strategist and former campaign adviser, karen finney. and brian kilmeade. "fox & friends" co-host. a new book out. "andrew jackson and the miracle of new orleans." let me begin with you, matthew. it's pretty clear it's real now. >> yeah, another boring week in politics, as it unfolds. i think the whole thing is totally dependent on ho this person is, right? we have no idea. it could go in any different direction. it could be big. little. the start of baiting somebody
8:23 am
bigger. we have no idea what his game plan is in the course of this. and whether it finally reaches donald trump. it's not a good thing for any white house to have to deal with this kind of thing. anything like this takes them off their game. takes them off where they want to go. takes them off any message they want to have on tax cuts or tax reform or anything like that. we'll see it unfold. it does guarantee one thing. this is going far into 2018. which is a problem for the republicans to have an investigation on. >> and kate, you left the white house before this investigation really heated up. is it your sense now that they've figured out a way to compartmentalize the investigation? as the clinton campaign did? >> yes. they're focused on tax cuts. that's what we see on the hill and coming out of the white house. they're going to make sure they get tax cuts for the american public. the president hasn't spoken about this in the last 48 hours since this leak came out. that there will be something on monday. i think you'll see the white
8:24 am
house continue to talk about helping the american public. >> we have seen the discipline from the president. he just tweeted about obamacare. not the russian investigation. earlier in the week, karen finney, you saw the tweets saying collusion now between the clintons and the russians. and also, we did learn that the clintons' lawyer, mark elias did fund this fusion gps dossier. >> mm-hmm. again, that dossier came from an american company. that we had -- had originally been funded by republicans. as you mentioned earlier. i think what's important, though, is less who funded it and what was in the dossier. and as you heard adam schiff talk about, a number of the things in the dossier have been verified. i think regardless, with the announcement about mueller, what's important is we know there are multiple other reasons there is an investigation. there is a question of obstruction of justice in the firing of jim comey. the questions about carter page. michael flynn. paul manafort.
8:25 am
their communications and meetings with the russians. we also learned this week that cambridge analytica. the company that was basically the data company for the campaign, reached out to julian assange of wikileaks. the more it goes on, we learn -- it keeps growing. that is part of the problem. as we also learn that, some folks at the kremlin actually weighed in on the memo that was part of the june 16 memo. >> "the new york times" report. brian, i guess the bottom line there is that, according to democrats, it's not fake news. >> there's a lot there. first off. to your question, if someone is marched in monday, tomorrow, and it is something to do directly with the campaign, i think it's one thing. number two. if it's something about paul manafort and what he did before donald trump was even a candidate, people are going to say, my goodness. is this going to be widespread.
8:26 am
is this going to be con feuding. so, i would -- to the gps situation. we found out it's not a candidate. it was paul singer and his free beacon. we found out he was looking at two candidates in particular. he stopped the investigation as soon as donald trump locked up the nomination. as soon as he did that, he goes, okay, let's see what happens from the republican perspective. then we find out that somebody else picks up the investigation, makes it international. there's a russian element. there was no russian element to the free beacon-financed opposition research. that's major difference. then we're supposed to think that john podesta has no idea that $6 million to $9 million is flying out of the campaign. he said he didn't know. and his lawyer, when he is saying he didn't know, his lawyer, mark a lie yas, says, oh, yeah, i approved that. you're the lawyer sitting next to a client pretending he doesn't know. >> as karen knows. roland knows. i've been highly critical for hillary clinton for a long period of time. and all of the manifestations of
8:27 am
everything -- >> i think all of us know that. not me and karen. >> i have to say, we need to give up the david copperfield or harry houdini award for misdirection in this thing. this reminds me of the uranium tale whole story that's been debunked all along the way. this is a whole nother story. there is no similarity between what robert mueller and what the russians wanted to do and a dossier paid for in part by the democrats in order to -- >> matt, why would you think that? fbi indictments could have been handed out. >> there's no russian relationship between the dossier and the democrats. >> here is what is laughable. we literally watch a campaign, of folks chant lock her up, that we can have a president under investigation, and we're here right now. this is the real test as to whether or not republicans will actually put pay treatism above partisanship. will conservative media folks speak truth or defend trump at
8:28 am
any and all costs? i love how people are complaining about players taking a knee and the flag but then want to excuse what russia has done. what mueller is doing, is what a prosecutor should do. get to the truth. whitewater started with one thing and ended with another. this is what happens when you go through a federal investigation. >> why does patriotism have something to do with trump admitting he's wrong? they don't believe he's wrong. there is no evidence he is wrong. >> brian, brian, brian, this is a guy who will knowingly lie and not admit the truth. so what whether he says it, it's relevant to me. the bottom line is this, when you have a foreign country that is clearly, undeniably involved in our election. not just once -- no, no, no. one second. excuse me. excuse me. i'm not talking about that. i'm speaking of facebook ads. i'm speaking of bots. all of that. we all -- brian, all americans should -- all americans should want the answer and not failing partisanship.
8:29 am
>> hold on. brian, let karen get in here. >> there's a pattern that we have seen time and time again in this administration. you start, you know, you'll see the president tweet about or say something, this week, it was, we need to release all of hillary's e-mails. and we need to -- throwing the smokescreen back on hillary. by the way, at some point, donald trump is going to have to be accountable for donald trump the president. >> she's on the book tour that never ends. >> you have a book tour. >> just before the news broke on friday that mueller was -- is close to actually bringing charges, i thought, what is it that's about to come out? this pattern we have seen before. every time there is about to be a new revelation in this investigation, leading right into that, we've got all this blowing of smoke and oh, it's about hillary. or, oh, obama wire-tapped me in trump tower. >> you saw it coming? >> of course. >> but karen, you have it
8:30 am
absolutely reversed. what happened over the last three days? revelations are out, thanks to fusion gps coming forward, prior to releasing their tax records, saying -- >> it's been over a year. it's been over a year. >> no, they haven't. it was denied by john podesta. denied by the dnc chairman. >> two shows in vegas. two shows in vegas. misdirection and -- >> hold on. >> i'm sorry if you're frustrated. >> i'm not frustrated. i'm just -- the truth is important, brian. >> the truth in timeline is actually important. >> the facts. >> let me finish. i'll tell you the facts. tuesday, wednesday, we get the revelations because gps did not want to hand over their records about who financed their international probe into russia. tuesday, wednesday, $3.6 million from the democrats. let me finish. and $6 million from hillary clinton's campaign. which he never admitted to before. >> i want to get two facts. >> so this happens. >> i love this filibustering
8:31 am
scam. he's pretty cute, brian. >> i do consider myself cute. >> brian, hold on a second. i'm stopping this. there are two facts. two facts about the dossier that we know. we know that it had nothing to do with the intelligence community's findings that russia interfered with the election. absolutely nothing to do with that. number two, we know that nothing in the dossier came out during the campaign. so it had no effect on the campaign. >> george, let me add one other fact. every single intelligence agency said not only did the russians interfere in the election, they were interfered to get donald trump elected and hillary clinton defeated. the argument that has to be made is that somehow hillary clinton and the democrats contributed to her own defeat. millions have taken to social media with the hashtag me too. powerful men facing the consequences. i'll speak to the woman who started the movement. and a congresswoman trying to
8:32 am
prevent sexual harassment on capitol hill. and we'll be back with "the roundtable" as well. some advisers have hidden and layered fees. fisher investments never does. and while some advisers are happy to earn commissions from you whether you do well or not, fisher investments fees are structured so we do better when you do better. maybe that's why most of our clients come from other money managers. fisher investments. clearly better money management. you've got to get in i know what a bath is smile honey this thing is like... first kid ready here we go by their second kid, every parent is an expert and... ...more likely to choose luvs, than first time parents. live, learn and get luvs delsym helpswhich means, impulse to cough for 12 hours. you're controlling your cough on your morning commute. and later when you're joking with beth... even when most cough medicines stop, delsym is still working. delsym. the #1 12-hour cough medicine.
8:33 am
catch "this week" online all week. at abcnews.com. on facebook. and twitter. "this week" with george stephanopoulos, brought to you by the makers of paper & packaging. makers of paper & packaging.
8:34 am
this is a strategyis, fi'd recommend. huh. this actually makes sense. now on the next page you'll see a breakdown of costs. what? it's just.... we were going to ask about it but we weren't sure when. so thanks. yeah, that's great. being clear and upfront. multiplied by 14,000 financial advisors, it's a big deal. and it's how edward jones makes sense of investing. delsym helpswhich means, impulse to cough for 12 hours. you're controlling your cough on your morning commute.
8:35 am
and later when you're joking with beth... even when most cough medicines stop, delsym is still working. delsym. the #1 12-hour cough medicine. from those first accusations against harvey weinstein -- >> he stood in the doorway and tried to kiss me. >> they said, he's in his room. i was like, are you kidding me? that's his pattern of sexual predation. that was how he rolled. >> an explosion of stunning, sad, and -- stories. >> a lot of feelings i've been having about anxiety and not being honest. the guilt for not speaking up earlier. >> i have been slut-shamed. i have been harassed. i have been maligned. and you know what? i'm just like you. >> literally hundreds of thousands of people, men and women, talking about being a part of this unfortunate club.
8:36 am
>> those voices tarnishing and taking down powerful men. the fallout spreading from hollywood to corporate america, the media and capitol hill. >> the chief of staff held my face, kissed me, and stuck his tongue in my mouth. it's time to throw back the curtain on the repulsive behavior that, until now, has thrived in the dark without consequences. >> the question now, whether this me too movement will spark real change? i'm joined by the woman who founded it a decade ago, tarana burke. and rep brenda lawrence. she's introduced legislation so that all congressional offices will have to take sexual harassment training. thank you both for joining us. tarana, let me begin with you. you founded this a decade ago. it's exploded. why did it take off now? do you think it will produce real change? >> absolutely. i think it took off now obviously because of the
8:37 am
magnitude of the names involved in the current sexual harassment scandal. we have hollywood actresses. producers. we have television hosts. and so, people are going to pay attention because pop culture is now right in the center of the controversy. >> that's what is clearly we have seen. we saw your colleague, congresswoman jackie speier share her own story. she called capitol hill a breeding ground for a hostile work environment for far too the long. two questions. have you witnessed this during your tenure? and what difference will your legislation make? >> one of the things i found through my experience in private sector. being an equal employment opportunity investigator. where i investigated claims of sexual harassment is that you have to set a tone. you have to establish a benchmark of zero tolerance. we're making sexual harassment training optional, then, what are we saying as an organization? we require all federal employees, it's mandatory. but on the hill and the capitol, it's optional. so this is the first step of setting the tone of zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
8:38 am
there are some people who actually believe that, what i'm doing is okay. what the training does is says, it's not okay. that you, if you feel like you have been sexually harassed, you do have a process to go through. one of the things my colleagues, congresswoman speier have said, is that we need to look at that process. because it's not one that allows a person who feels like they've been sexually harassed to have a responsive and proactive response. >> you see this. you know this from your work in corporate america. women are afraid to come forward. >> yes. >> we have heard from so many. including one after the diane sawyer interview on "good morning america" with ashley judd. >> this guy controls my schedule. if i don't make any money, i don't feed my kids. i have no face in this. i have no name. you know about me. i'm still scared that he's going to find out or someone's going the find out that i've said something and then i lose my job. and i can't lose my job.
8:39 am
>> that's gotta be the biggest obstacle. >> it is. this is about power and privilege. ultimately, sexual violence is about power. sexual harassment is about the intersection of power and privilege. people feel helpless. there's always a question about why don't women come forward? why didn't they complain? this is a great example of why. people's livelihoods and lives are at stake. you have to make a choice between, do i deal with this uncomfortable thing that reduces my dignity or do i feed my children? >> you talk about the high-profile people that have come forward. the white house was asked about this because of the allegations against president trump. let's show that. >> obviously, sexual harassment has been in the news. at least 16 women accused the president of sexually harassing them throughout the course of the campaign. last week, the president called these accusations fake news. is the official white house position that all these women are lying? >> yeah, we've been clear on that from the beginning. and the president's spoken on it. john?
8:40 am
>> all these women are lying, according to the white house. i think a lot of people have questioned. you see so many men fall. yet, the president elected after all these revelations were known? >> you know, the the good thing about me too is the sense of awareness. it's giving reassurance and comfort to women to speak out. it's going to be on the back of women and those who are sexually harassed to stop it. because as long as we are silent, it continues. and i -- i think it's -- it is very powerful. for the person who sits in the white house, to have behavior that he has admitted and it's been documented, that is clearly sexual harassment. that is unacceptable behavior. and we're going to have to step up. i'm so proud of the me too movement. but it's a shame, because this has been going on for years. it takes high-profile women to bring attention to this. because what about the woman in the fast food restaurant?
8:41 am
ho -- who the only way she can feed her children. it's that job or starvation for her family. and they're being subjected to this, as well. >> what is the most important thing that has to happen now? >> there are a couple of things that have to happen. we have to have stronger legislation and policy. those things have to be enforced. we have to have ally-ship. it's on the backs of women. but it's on the backs of men. men have to stand up. they have to be outspoken. when you see something, say something. >> it's everyone's responsibility. thank you both very much. >> thank you. >> thank you so much. when we come back, jeff flake joined bob corker with tough words for president trump. what does it mean? for the president and the gop agenda? "the roundtable" takes on that question next. prudential asked these couples: how much money do you think you'll need in retirement? then we found out how many years that money would last them. how long do you think we'll keep -- oooooohhh! you stopped! you're gonna leave me back here at year 9? how did this happen? it turned out, a lot of people fell short, of even the average length of retirement. we have to think about not when we expect to live to, but when we could live to. let's plan for income that lasts all our years in retirement.
8:42 am
prudential. bring your challenges. (avo) but you also have a higher risk of heart attack or stroke. non-insulin victoza® lowers a1c, and now reduces cardiovascular risk. victoza® lowers my a1c and blood sugar better than the leading branded pill. (avo) and for people with type 2 diabetes treating cardiovascular disease, victoza® is now approved to lower the risk of major cardiovascular events such as heart attack, stroke, or death. and while it isn't for weight loss, victoza® may help you lose some weight. (avo) victoza® is not for people with type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. do not take victoza® if you have a personal or family history of medullary thyroid cancer, multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2, or if you are allergic to victoza® or any of its ingredients. stop taking victoza® and get medical help right away if you get symptoms of a serious allergic reaction such as rash, swelling, difficulty breathing or swallowing.
8:43 am
serious side effects may happen, including pancreatitis. so, stop taking victoza® and call your doctor right away if you have severe pain in your stomach area. tell your doctor your medical history. gallbladder problems have happened in some people. tell your doctor right away if you get symptoms. taking victoza® with a sulfonylurea or insulin may cause low blood sugar. common side effects are nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, decreased appetite, indigestion, and constipation. side effects can lead to dehydration, which may cause kidney problems. ask your doctor about victoza®. when this bell rings... ...it starts a chain reaction... ...that's heard throughout the connected business world. at&t network security helps protect business, from the largest financial markets to the smallest transactions, by sensing cyber-attacks in near real time and automatically deploying countermeasures. keeping the world of business connected and protected.
8:44 am
that's the power of and. reckless, outrageous, and undignified behavior has become excused and countenanced as telling it like it is. >> i think the debasement of our nation is what he'll be remembered most for. that's regretful. >> those of us who hoped for a pivot, have agreed now, it's
8:45 am
just not going to come. so it's up to us to stand up and say, this is not acceptable. >> he's obviously not going to rise to the occasion as president. >> do you think he's a role model to children of the united states? >> no. >> you don't? >> no. absolutely not. >> big swipes at president trump from two republican senators calling it quits. is that a sign that president trump is tightening his grip on the gop? "roundtable" takes that on next. and for the latest politics anytime, download the abc news app and sign up for breaking news alerts. we'll be right back. and sign up for breaking news alerts. ♪ then we are told it's braver to go it alone. ♪ but there is another way to live. ♪ a way that sees the only path to fulfillment- is through others. ♪ kelly! we're out of body wash! what are you doing?? i thought you had a cold??
8:46 am
i don't need all this. mucinex fast-max is powerful enough to handle pretty much every symptom. name one. how 'bout 9? sore throat, cough, even... yea--i can read, you know. we're done here. ahhh! boogers to betsy! mucinex fast-max. 9 symptoms. 1 dose. max strength. start the relief. ditch the misery. let's end this. and for kid's multi-symptom relief, try #1 recommended children's mucinex. retail. under pressure like never before.
8:47 am
and it's connected technology that's moving companies forward fast. e-commerce. real time inventory. virtual changing rooms. that's why retailers rely on comcast business to deliver consistent network speed across multiple locations. every corporate office, warehouse and store near or far covered. leaving every competitor, threat and challenge outmaneuvered. comcast business outmaneuver. you or joints. something for your heart... but do you take something for your brain. with an ingredient originally found in jellyfish, prevagen is the number one selling brain-health supplement in drug stores nationwide. prevagen. the name to remember. why should over two hundred years of citi history matter to you? well, because it tells us something powerful about progress: that whether times are good or bad, people and their ideas will continue to move the world forward. as long as they have someone to believe in them.
8:48 am
citi financed the transatlantic cable that connected continents. and the panama canal, that made our world a smaller place. we backed the marshall plan that helped europe regain its strength. and pioneered the atm, for cash, anytime. for over two centuries we've supported dreams like these. and the people and companies behind them. so why should that matter to you? because, today, we are still helping progress makers turn their ideas into reality. and the next great idea could be yours. i think all of us realize that if we fail on taxes, that's the end of the republican party's governing majority in 2018. i can't imagine how he could be successful with nancy pelosi running the house. they would try to impeach him
8:49 am
pretty quick. it would be one constant investigation after another. so it's important that we pass tax reform in a meaningful way. if we don't, that's probably the end of the republican party as we know it. >> some unvarnished words there from lindsey graham, actually on brian kilmeade's radio show. we want to start with kate walsh shields. you know the white house well. tax cuts have become the glue that is holding the republican party together right now. >> absolutely. but it falls in line with everything the president has done in the last seven months. we have 3% gdp in the third quarter. we have had 3% gdp in the last six months. unemployment at an all-time low. the dow at an all-time high. so it coincides with everything the president has been working on for the last nine months. i think when this gets done, we'll have a very good story to tell in 2018. >> i'm waiting for the tweet, thank you, president obama, for
8:50 am
setting me up. here's the thing with what graham said that people have to understand. democrats are running around saying, the possibility here. the fact of the matter is, the republican party is not imploding. you control 31 governor's mansions. legislatures, house, senate, the white house. more importantly, the judiciary. you're not imploding. yeah, you have internal fights. this is about power. not principles, character, morals, values. they want to maintain power. trump is the vessel that allows them to do so. so they'll fall in line. jeff flake, that wasn't courageous what he did. >> he was going to lose. >> courageous is to still run. courageous to say, i'm going the campaign around arizona and speak the truth. and if i lose, that's fine. i'm not giving anybody props for giving a speech and cutting and running. no. you stand up. you stay in the office and challenge them. people have to stop thinking the republican party is dead. the republican party is not dead. you see what is happening in north carolina. what is sadistic. undemocratic. wisconsin. we ignore what is happening in these states. texas, five times they lost in federal courts over voter i.d. cost $3 million.
8:51 am
it is real what they're doing in states. >> let me bring this to brian kilmeade. the president does command strong majorities in the house right now. they're staying behind. right now, most to republican senators. the problem is, no one really knows what is inside the tax bill. >> i think what i think is encouraging if you're a republican is the fact that the house, senate, white house, have been meeting behind closed doors before they rolled it out. they know a lot of details. they're timing it to the right time to roll it out. back to your question, the reason lindsey graham is talking in cataclysmic fashion is he knows it will pass. no why? not because of president trump. it's because each individual lawmaker is on the clock. in 2018. whether you're going to be up in a little while, or in 2018? or 2020. they have to do something. or else they have nothing to run on. they're not doing it for president trump. not doing it for their party. they're doing it for their own careers. that's why i think it will get done. >> that's the problem with the republican party that is bearing out this year. they control everything. they can't get health care done.
8:52 am
there wasn't even a plan. it's like the emperor wasn't wearing any clothes. if they can't get this tax thing done they have nothing to run. i agree with you. at the same time, however, i think that this is a moral test for the republican party. and i think they'll fail, unfortunately. in order to get the tax deal done, from everything we have heard, it will add to the deficit. the republicans have said that's something they didn't want to do. so it won't bring tax relief to the middle class. it will help the top 1%. i think it's if you make over $733,000 a year, you'll benefit from this plan. and, so, what does that say about what the republican party is really all about? >> to me, so, this be careful what you wish for. this is like much of the pressure that the obama administration put on the democrats in congress in 2009 and said, you gotta pass something. we need to have something to run on. they pass obamacare and lose almost every single office. this tax bill, the polls show,
8:53 am
it's very unpopular, the elements that we know. 80% of the benefits go the top 1% in the country. it's not going to help the working class. the voters who will decide this election. but i think fund mentally, lindsey graham is wrong about one thing. one, the republicans hold all the levers of power in this. i think he's wrong that the president party is dead. the republican party as we know it. the party of ronald reagan. the party of george w. bush, is gone. the party is now the donald trump party. 80% of the republican voters. regardless of what those in washington say that walk around the halls of the capitol and say what they think the republican party is? that party is long gone. they have to come to terms with the idea, this is the trump, steve bannon party that is more welcoming to someone like roy moore than it is to someone like jeff flake. >> and, george, what they have to accept is you have this alliance. white conservative evangelicals aligning with people like gorka
8:54 am
and bannon. what is interesting to me, i'm looking at the trump voters. i'm going, at what point will you wake up and realize you're getting screwed? not just -- one second. one second. they're getting screwed when you look at affordable care act because they're benefiting from it. they're getting screwed when this man talks about the opioid crisis and the most he did this week was to have a press conference. say we're going to have a few more ads. broke is broke. and some of the brokest, poorest counties in america, two-thirds of them are in republican districts. they're going to get screwed. watch it happen. >> i don't know how you can say that. unemployment is at an all-time low. national association of manufacturers came out and said, if this tax cut goes through, more people will hire jobs. in 2003, i think, president bush's tax cut, the next five year, 7.8 million jobs happened. >> can i just also -- >> in those same people -- >> these people have jobs. when their pocketbooks are better. when hopefully, we pass repeal and replace. their premiums go down. >> that mean nothing if you're dying of opioids. >> we're going to take a big hit in the economy. there may be an niche bump --
8:55 am
>> based on what? based on what? who is telling you that? >> a number of studies came out. actually, frankly -- >> i've not seen one. >> i'll bring them up here. >> i have to interrupt. because president trump actually has tweeted about russia and the dossier. it didn't last. never seen such republican anger and unity as i have concerning the lack of investigation on clinton made fake dossier. now $12 million. so much for the discipline. >> i would like to get back to -- so let's talk about tax reform. i have to say a couple of things. steve bannon and sebastian gorka white supremacists? absolutely not. i don't think so. that is a statement that i think is -- >> excuse me. brian, brian. when you say breitbart is the home of the alt-right. which aligns the white supremacists. i'm trying to -- we saw in charlottesville, don't you dare try to cover this thing up. >> i'm not covering anything up. they're not white supremacists. you have to watch that term. it's a term that is a new buzz
8:56 am
word. it shuts people down. >> actually, it's not a new buzz term. it's owned america since the beginning of america. >> can i finish up on the tax reform. matt, i don't know what you mean the little people are getting screwed. >> i didn't say that. i said 80% of the benefits of the tax bill are going to the top 1%. >> the top 1%. >> that's what the -- >> i'll give you an example. an example of how from what we know, george, you're right. we don't know everything. if you make $12,000 a year right now, you're being taxed. under his plan, you're not taxed up to $24,000 a year. so that right there helps -- >> no one who makes $12,000 pays an income tax. >> there a multiple tax codes. >> i think the trump people and the republicans can talk about the stock market. and they can talk about the job rate. there's no relationship between the perception of donald trump and the perception of the republicans and what is going on in the economy. there is no relation. donald trump. donald trump is disapproved of by 60% of the country. >> president trump was the same guy in the last 25 years, he
8:57 am
would argue as he is today. he was elected. >> decide elections in -- >> we're going to hit the computer. we're out of time. i know you have a lot more to say. thank you very much. we'll be right back. be right become. back.
8:58 am
"the roundtable" is still talking here. we're out of time. thanks for sharing part of your sunday with us. check out "world news" tonight. see you tomorrow on "gma."
8:59 am
. early morning house fire in san francisco. we'll have the latest. good sunday morning to you. look at all the fog. we have delays up to 36 minutes in san francisco. the cooldown continues. we'll tell you how cool it's accused of obstructing justice to theat the fbinuclear war,
9:00 am
and of violating the constitution by taking money from foreign governments and threatening to shut down news organizations that report the truth. if that isn't a case for impeaching and removing a dangerous president, then what has our government become? i'm tom steyer, and like you, i'm a citizen who knows it's up to us to do something. it's why i'm funding this effort to raise our voices together and demand that elected officials take a stand on impeachment. a republican congress once impeached a president for far less. yet today people in congress and his own administration know that this president is a clear and present danger who's mentally unstable and armed with nuclear weapons. and they do nothing. join us and tell your member of congress that they have a moral responsibility to stop doing what's political and start doing what's right. our country depends on it.

30 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on