Skip to main content

tv   Jimmy Kimmel Live  ABC  September 21, 2018 11:35pm-12:37am PDT

11:35 pm
thanks for watching everybody. you can start your weekend now, i think. i'm larry >> dicky: from hollywood - it's "jimmy kimmel live". tonight, olivia wilde. from "sierra burgess is a loser", noah centineo. this week in unnecessary censorship, and music from jungle. and now, moving along, here's jimmy kimmel! [ cheers and applause ] ♪ >> jimmy: thank you. thank you very much. welcome to the show. my name is jimmy. i'm the host of the show. thanks for watching. thank you for coming. happy friday. can you feel -- can you feel autumn in the air? you'd never know it from walking around here in l.a., but summer's over.
11:36 pm
today was the last official day of summer. tomorrow's the first official day of fall. the autumnal equinox. the equinox. this is interesting. the equinox, i learned today, was first recorded by an ancient greek astronomer named hipparchus who noticed the position of the stars seemed to shift in a cyclical way and that therefore the earth must be moving along the he can waiterial plane and he decided to name this phenomenon after the gym he was a member of. equinox. isn't that something? it could just as easily have been called 24-hour fitness. [ applause ] and of course fall means football. some magic happened last night in cleveland. [ cheers ] the cleveland browns beat the new york jets for their first win since 2016. to put that in perspective the last time the browns won trump wasn't president and kevin spacey was. [ laughter ] it's a weird game. it was a weird touchdown celebration during the game. and there was even a wild animal
11:37 pm
in the crowd. look at this. somehow a possum got a ticket to the game. a fan -- i don't know who this guy is. but he's braver than i am. based on his outfit, i'd guess he's a browns fan. but he picked the possum up by the tail and put it in a cardboard box. helped the guy get the box sealed. and then this is interesting, after they put it in the box they mailed that box to lebron james in l.a. [ laughter ] he should be getting that anytime now. the victory was a long time coming for browns fans, who celebrated after the game. ♪ we are the champions ♪ we are the champions ♪ no time for losers ♪ 'cause we are the champions >> jimmy: it will be seven years before they sing that again. let them have it. [ laughter ] [ applause ] i think they're letting the kids
11:38 pm
out of school tomorrow for the victory parade. so congratulations to the browns. they're now 1-1-1. and this gives hope to another team that is hoping to score its first win since 2016. the democrats. [ laughter ] the democrats and -- they're really going at it now over kavanaugh and the nomination. as you probably know, supreme court nominee brett kavanaugh has been accused of attempted sexual assault back when he was in prep school. a woman who's now a college professor, her name is christine blasey ford, claims that kavanaugh got on top of her when they were at a party when they were teenagers, put his hand over her mouth. kavanaugh said it never happened. and at first the president was unusually restrained on the subject but i feel like these two headlines do a good job of summing this presidency up. all right? this was yesterday. "aides quietly stunned by trump's respectful handling of kavanaugh accuser." and this was today's headline. "trump unleashes on kavanaugh accuser." [ laughter ] he couldn't resist. this morning trump tweeted,
11:39 pm
"judge brett kavanaugh is a fine man with an impeccable reputation who is under assault by radical left-wing politicians who don't want to know the answers, they just want to destroy and delay. facts don't matter. i go through this with them every single day in d.c." he actually says brett kavanaugh who's accused of assault is being assaulted. this is what he does. whenever he or people under him get accused of something he accuses the accusers of the same thing. he didn't assault. he's being assaulted. i'm lying? you're lying. [ laughter ] collusion? she colluded. everything he does it. [ laughter ] i'm surprised he hasn't accused melania of cheating on him with a porn star. [ applause ] so trump also made the horrible remark that if the attack was as bad as she said it was, as dr. ford said it was, he has no doubt she or her parents would have immediately gone to the
11:40 pm
police. he really knows women. it's almost like he's inside your heads, right, ladies? [ laughter ] when does melania's be best campaign kick in? because now would be a good for that to happen. [ laughter ] i guess from the president's perspective it's only one woman accusing brett kavanaugh. he's like, hell, i've got 14 women and a videotape. this guy's an amateur. what are you even talking about? of course no trump-related scandal would be complete without a word of wisdom from kellyanne conway, who dug extra deep last night with chris cuomo on cnn. >> there hasn't been any testimony, and yet we're hearing more and more republicans especially on the senate committee saying kavanaugh's going to be fine, we think maybe she's mistaken. how do they know when they haven't heard anything? >> well, christopher, you just told your audience that you wanted to lay out everything that you've learned. you omitted cleverly a very important fact, which is that judge kavanaugh said that he wasn't there. and this is not -- this is no longer she said/he said. it's she said and he said he
11:41 pm
wasn't there. [ laughter ] >> jimmy: that's not as catchy. they did something to her, right? there's a look in her eyes that you don't get without electrodes attached to your head. [ laughter ] the other bigly story in washington today, blockbuster report from the failing "new york times" that claims deputy attorney general rod rosenstein, who's supervising the russia investigation, according to the times in may of last year he floated the idea that he he wear a wire to secretly record conversations with the president so he could document just how bad things were and also discussed invoking the 25th amendment, which would remove trump from office for a lack of mental fitness. what goes -- donald trump's white house has more people wearing microphones than donald trump's "apprentice" had people wearing microphones. [ laughter ] so rosenstein today issued a not so strongly worded he denial. but now the fear is that trump finally has a reason to fire him and potentially replace him with someone who will derail the mueller investigation. that being new attorney general
11:42 pm
kid rock, who's been nominated today. [ laughter ] in the meantime, trump was live in vegas last night where he held a rally for a nevada candidate for senate. the president was all over the place again. he even weighed in on stormy daniels's description of his genitalia. she said it's smaller than average and weird-looking. and he went into more detail than that. >> it's like this. it's like this. [ laughter ] >> jimmy: that's great. [ applause ] a lot of guys won't admit that. a lot of guys would be embarrassed. in local politics here in california we have a new state law here. governor jerry brown signed a new law yesterday that bans restaurants from giving out plastic straws. it is literally the final straw here in california. [ laughter ] so from now on if you want a straw at a restaurant you don't just get one. you have to ask for one. and then they will give it to you. which is fine. but how is it that straws are banned? those 11-foot-long receipts at cvs still okay. no problem with that. get on that, governor brown.
11:43 pm
[ cheers and applause ] i don't know if you picked your halloween costume. my daughter, by the way, has already picked her halloween costume. she's planning to go as wonder woman for the third straight year. she's only 4 years old. for those of you who haven't picked a costume yet you have plenty of time. but this is an idea that is not available now. there's a website called yandy. they're selling this. what they call a brave red maiden costume. it's a generic way of saying it's an outfit from the handmaid's tale, the hulu show. sought costume was available for $64.95 but there was so much backlash. there were so many angry posts online they decided to pull it. the company wrote, "yandy always has stood and will continue to stand at the forefront of encouraging our customers to own your sexy." [ laughter ] i'm sovomiting right there. "our corporate ideology is rooted in female empowerment and gender empowerment overall. over the last few hours it has become obvious that our yandy
11:44 pm
brave red maiden costume is being seen as a symbol of women's oppression rather than an expression of women's empowerment. this is unfortunate as it was not our intention on any level. our initial inspiration to create the piece was through witnessing its use in recent months as a powerful protest image. given the sincere heartfelt response supported by numerous personal stories we've received we are removing the costume from the site." but here's a question. of all the costumes, why is this one offensive enough? i mean, why would a sexy handmaid make people angry? it's a fictional show. handmaids don't exist. this is like being mad about a sexy tooth fairy. this company pulled the costume down because somebody decided they were mad and then other people went, yeah, we are mad about this. if you want to get mad at yandy, how about this? this is a costume they sell. it's a sexy nurse. nurses are real people who are busy giving sick people sponge baths and putting in catheters. okay? you think they want you boning
11:45 pm
around imagining them in those outfits? they don't. [ laughter ] and what about this? this is another one. a sexy nun. that's not offensive? to sister mary catherine o'brien it is. [ laughter ] and this one. this is the worst. they have a sexy schoolgirl costume. no one bats an eye at this anymore because it's been going on for years. but you should not be okay with a hooker costume that includes the word school or girl in it. [ laughter ] but sexy handmaids, that's where we draw the line. that's right. [ laughter ] [ applause ] we are very dumb. we are a dumb people. and no one reminds us of that more than our friends in the sunshine state. with that said it's time for a brand new edition of "this week in florida." ♪ >> concerned neighbors want to crack down on this naked truth. the man who lives at the end of their street is a nudist. we spoke with the man in question off camera. he said he was not interested in doing an interview because he and his family are private
11:46 pm
people. >> jimmy: their parts aren't, but they are. [ laughter ] this is something that could take off in florida. many years from now, lock after i've retired from the show, future me will be bankrupt and trying to sell future you wonderful new ideas and products on cable television. like this. >> this is a paid advertisement for considerate grandchild call service inc. >> hi. i'm jimmy kimmel, host of "russia's funniest automobile crashes." we all love our grandkids. but when's the last time one of them actually picked up a phone and called? >> three years, two months, two hours. >> are you drunk? >> always. >> jimmy: what if i told you you could swap those thoughtless little bastards for the loving, attentive grandchildren you deserve? introducing considerate grandchild. for just 99 cents a minute our compassionate call givers will
11:47 pm
call you and talk for as long as you can afford. >> well, i'll be darned. emma him'll passed away. remember her? >> oh, yes. she was such a kind lady. please give my love to the entire himmel family. >> i will, honey. >> jimmy: your considerate grandchild will talk about anything you like. >> hello. >> greetings, grandma. it is i, jeremy. your eldest grandchild. calling you to wish you a most happy birthday. >> oh, jeremy, you remembered. >> uh-huh. >> jimmy: all our considerate grandchildren have completed a three-hour online certification course. >> guillermo: my old grandkids won't even talk to my dog. but my new grandkids, they love him. say hi to pepe. >> hi to pepe. hi to pepe. >> guillermo: now call him good boy. >> good boy! good boy! good boy! good boy!
11:48 pm
>> jimmy: just pick up the phone and call the number on your screen. your considerate grandchild is standing by. >> please put us in the will. your will. [ cheers and applause ] >> jimmy: it could work. all right. one more thing. it's friday night, which means it's time to bleep and blur the big tv moments of the week whether they need it or not. it is "this week in unnecessary censorship." [ cheers and applause ] >> at 18 i watched, you know, one of the biggest movie and tv stars just being cool and kind to everyone. i thought, i want to [ bleep ] him. i want to [ bleep ] this man. >> and you are just like him. such a great guy. >> today's a great day to [ bleep ] a big [ bleep ]. >> and also finally i'd like to [ bleep ] my horse. apollo. sxl we're he >> we're here today to talk about workforce development. and i'd like to begin by [ bleep ] ivanka and all the folks around this table. >> would've a very tiny
11:49 pm
[ bleep ]. >> the queen of england has been [ bleep ] my [ bleep ]. >> he did have a really large [ bleep ]. and i don't think his wife really loved having that big [ bleep ] in the [ bleep ]. >> i've been [ bleep ] dogs two years now. >> i'll fwend right now. you'll hear things coming out of my [ bleep ]. >> if you can't [ bleep ] yourself how the heck are you going to [ bleep ] someone else? can i get an amen? >> you can do this, maurice. it's just a little [ bleep ]. no big deal. nobody ever has to know. it. >> what are you doing? >> saving your life. >> my sucking my [ bleep ]? [ cheers and applause ] >> jimmy: all right. tonight on the show we have music from jungle. noah centineo is here. and we'll be right back with olivia wilde. [ cheers and applause ] >> dicky: abc's "jimmy kimmel live," brought to you by
11:50 pm
university of phoenix. of phoenix. ♪ so polite, you're busy still saying please ♪ ♪ you feel your dreams are dying ♪ ♪ hold tight ♪ the world is gonna pull through ♪ ♪ don't give up ♪ ♪ you've got the music in y♪u ughhh! oh, boy. hey, joy, a lot of people, not a lot of party. yeah, darryl needs to put the play in playlist. i can't stream out here. joy can, she's got the new iphone on verizon. just got it. best phone, best network. nice. and only verizon gives you six months of free apple music. (heavy metal music) darryl, no... read the room. sorry. that's okay. (mid-tempo funk) okay. i did it! yeah! dj! ♪
11:51 pm
why shop marshalls? because... their prices will thrill you. whoo-hoo! the brands will surprise you. mwah! and every trip feels like an instant victory. woman: marshalls. never boring. always surprising. woman: marshalls. the a...is stolen.es... hijacked from dreams. pulled from decades of obsession. taken from the souls of artists. we confess. we stole everything we could. from everything we've ever mastered. and put it here. the all-new lexus es. every curve. every innovation. every feeling. a product of mastery. experience amazing at your lexus dealer. advil liqui-gels minis. breakthrough in pain relief. a mighty small pill with concentrated power that works at liquid speed. you'll ask... what pain? advil liqui-gels minis.
11:52 pm
with secret-slim pockets.tar slimming panels for your best shape in any size. ♪ hurry in for all jeans on sale from fifteen dollars, and yes, we have your size. only at old navy. wow, that's an pretty great, huh?low. if you're a banana. i find it very...appealing. new kellogg's raisin bran with bananas. two scoops meet real banana slices. i've done a great job of raisin ya. my doctor says i havey, what's skittles pox. are they contagious? i don't think so. contract the rainbow! taste the rainbow! can't taste refreshing... we invite you, to see the light. jim beam, ginger ale... and a squeeze of lemon. the jim beam and ginger highball. a refreshing take on bourbon.
11:53 pm
11:54 pm
♪ welcome back to the show. tonight from the new netflix movie "sierra burgess is a loser," noah centineo is here. [ cheers and applause ] he's very popular. and then this is their album. it's called "for ever." jungle from the mercedes-benz stage. [ cheers and applause ] next week, we are hard at work with guests including viola davis, riz ahmed, casey affleck, hasan minhaj, david alan grier, brad garrett, jay ellis. and we will have music from bastille, avril lavigne, tyga featuring offset, and t.i. featuring yo gotti. >> jimmy: and next month, we are packing up everything you see here in the studio. including guillermo. like a possum we're going to put you in a box.
11:55 pm
[ laughter ] and shipping it all to the brooklyn academy of music in brooklyn, new york. we'll be there for a week from october 15th through the 19th. if you'd like to see us there, go to kimmelinbrooklyn.com. tickets are free. and we of course would love to see you there in person. our first guest tonight is a talented actress. her new movie was written and directed by the creator of "this is us" and it is mandatory to cry when you see it. it's called "life itself." it's in theaters now. please welcome olivia wilde. [ cheers and applause ] [ cheers and applause ] you know what? you're celebrating fall. you're saying good-bye to summer with corduroy. >> yes. i'm bringing mustard into our lives. because it's time. >> jimmy: finally, someone's bringing mustard ointo our live. >> you're welcome. >> jimmy: you live where? >> brooklyn. we're excited you're coming. >> jimmy: can we stay at your house?
11:56 pm
>> please. stay with us. take care of our kids. >> jimmy: sure, i'll entertain the kids. how old are the kids? >> 2 and -- almost 2. 2 next week. and 4 1/2. >> jimmy: and of course your significant other jason sudeikis a very funny guy. [ applause ] >> yes. >> jimmy: who and correct me if i'm wrong, fascinating fact about jason that i brought up to him last time he was here, has no sense of smell. >> that's true. >> jimmy: genuinely cannot smell things. >> was born without a sense of smell. >> jimmy: i wonder how they found that out. >> apparently it took quite a while for him to realize it. like i think it was a long time before someone realized it. i don't know the story in which they figured it out. i don't know the particulars. >> jimmy: how early did he tell you -- reveal that fact to you? >> i had weirdly heard it from our mutual friends. it was an awkward thing i brought up on our first date, "i heard you don't smell so great." [ laughter ] and then once our kids were born he had a real forrest gump moment where he was like, is he normal? can he smell?
11:57 pm
[ laughter ] and otis can smell, which is like a really -- it's lucky. >> jimmy: oh, you thought maybe it had been passed on. >> we don't know what it is. >> jimmy: anyone in his family previously had that? i don't know anybody -- i never met anybody like that. >> oat sis convinced, again, he's 4 1/2, but he's convinced he's going to diagnose the problem and fix it. he's like dad, there is a lego up your nose. [ laughter ] you just have to breathe out really hard. and he tries to coach him. he holds his face and he's like i'm going to get it, don't worry. >> jimmy: is it in any way -- because i was thinking about this today and i was wondering like if there were to be an electrical fire or if the gas was left on -- >> dead, dead, dead. yeah. it's a real problem. >> jimmy: jason is a liability in your home. >> i know. that's why i never leave him alone. i have to leave him with, you know, a dog or a child or someone to look after him. >> jimmy: if there was one thing you would want him to smell like -- i don't know. a rose -- >> i think about this all the time. >> jimmy: what would it be?
11:58 pm
>> onions. sauteing onions. >> jimmy: garlic. i would go with garlic. >> like the beginning of a pasta. >> jimmy: so he walks in the house and he doesn't go what's cooking? he's just like oh, i see steam. [ laughter ] >> he has no idea. >> jimmy: that's sad. >> but the good thing and he thinks i am an incredible chef. >> jimmy: oh, that's good. >> because he can't taste anything. >> jimmy: wait. he can't -- oh, they go hand in hand i guess. wow. >> it's a pretty crazy thing. but i guess if you're going to lose a sense -- >> jimmy: that's the one to go. for sure. because most -- yeah. a lot of smell is a mixed bag. >> exactly. like new york in the summertime. you don't want your sense of smell. >> jimmy: exactly. >> he walks right by the trash can. >> jimmy: maybe the kids it's nice with diapers. >> he's still weirdly squeamish about picking up dog [ bleep ], which is confusing to me. you have to pick it up. you are born like a superhero designed to pick up [ bleep ]. [ laughter ] you are impervious to the
11:59 pm
problems associated with [ bleep ]. >> jimmy: scooper man. yeah. >> scooper man. and he's refusing. he's afraid of his power. >> jimmy: well, that's really weird. that's a really weird thing. so you guys have been out here in l.a. for a little while now. >> we've been out here for like eight months because i directed a movie, my first movie. [ cheers and applause ] thank you. >> jimmy: that's exciting. you directed some things before, right? >> i directed some music videos. for the chili peppers, for edward sharpe. and i made a short film. but this is my first big fat giant -- >> jimmy: a music video's a really good way because you see that a lot -- >> it's romantic. it's really a good way because you get to play. you get to have fun with the medium but there's not a lot of pressure. no talking. >> jimmy: is there a lot of pressure on this one? >> yeah. it's a lot of pressure for -- only i think 8% of studio films were directed by women last year. i think it will jump this year because there's obviously a huge movement to hire more women as
12:00 am
there should be. but it's still a lot of pressure. our movies have to perform. i think amy poehler said it best. she said when women can direct bad movies. for right now they have to be really good. >> jimmy: are you shooting for bad or good? >> i'm shooting for passably watchable. >> jimmy: dan fogleman directed this movie "life itself" you're in. do you take lessons from these guys and then apply them to your work? >> yeah. well, one thing with dan is he created such a friendly set and you realize sets don't have to be nightmares. like they don't have to be stressful. >> jimmy: are a lot of them nightmares? >> yeah. >> jimmy: oh, really? >> yeah, because there's a lot of pressure on everybody. but it turns out you don't have to be that way. so i created my set to be a happy place, a lot of music, a lot of fun, high expectations but like fun. and that really came from dan. >> jimmy: oh. that's nice. that's good. >> in the movie you can kind of -- the movie is a very sad movie where everybody cries the whole time. but we were laughing a lot while we made it.
12:01 am
>> jimmy: it's funny. it does go the opposite way a lot of times. a lot of times they're comedies and then you find out afterwards oh, those guys hated each another whole time. >> this one we were laughing a lot. between the sobbing. >> jimmy: you worked with martin scorsese. what did you learn from him as a director? >> scorsese runs a very tight ship. lots of -- you have to be very focused. and it's al cl conducive to betr performances. his whole ship is designed to make the actors better. so it's silent. it's amazing. you can't even text, not even on an iphone, because he can feel it. >> jimmy: really? can he really? >> it's great, though, because it means everyone's really focused. and there's no scripts allowed. no little sides, little scripts on set, which i had in my set too. and it was kind of hardcore but all the actors were off book the whole time. >> jimmy: so does that mean you can improvise or does that mean you better remember your lines? >> you have to know your lines. if you want to call line that's fine, you can be that [ bleep ].
12:02 am
but i don't think you really want -- you can swear on this show, right? >> jimmy: no. not really. [ laughter ] but what lu going to do? >> i forgot. it's been a long time. >> jimmy: we're going to take a break. when we come back, a clip from the movie "life itself." olivia wilde is here with us. we'll be right back. >> dicky: portions of "jimmy kimmel live" are brought to you by jimmy john's new 9-grain wheat sub. wheat yeah, freak yeah. freak yeah. exceeds all expectations! really yup! and, by getting the iphone with our unlimited plan, you can get the best in entertainment. tv and movies? yep. music? if you want. that video of you at the office party. the one where i made out with santa? yes. hey! you were supposed to delete that. oh no! technically, that is also the best in entertainment. he ghosted me! 'i'm in the north pole' - yeah right. upgrade your upgrade. get the new at&t unlimited plan on the amazing new iphone. more for your thing. that's our thing. don't forget that the past can speak to the future.
12:03 am
♪ ♪ i'm going to be your substitute teacher. don't assume the substitute teacher has nothing to offer... same goes for a neighborhood. don't forget that friendships last longer than any broadway run. mr. president. (laughing) don't settle for your first draft. or your 10th draft. ♪ ♪ you get to create the room where it happens. ♪ ♪ just don't think you have to do it alone. ♪ ♪ the powerful backing of american express. don't live life without it.
12:04 am
he could possibly... he likes to collect things. oh! wow, you got all this stuff from ikea? what do you like not let your kids in here? oh, no, they moved in here. here. this is where i hide all the cords and the remotes, and those clack-clack-clack things. oh and we have an entire comic book store and i managed to wedge a candle in there.
12:05 am
oh i see, so this is your new bed? let's just say it fits me perfectly. it also fits the entire neighborhood, when they show up, unannounced, in a good way... kind of... what's your dream? at ikea, we help you live it. make the dream yours.
12:06 am
12:07 am
i mean, this is the comeback album. they thought he was done. everybody just wrote him off. they said you don't come back from the crazy he had. and then boom. '97, "time out of mind." he won three grammys including album of the year. he beat radiohead and paul mccartney. it was intense, unexpected genius, just hard and dark a and -- he said i'm bob dylan, you're not, eat a [ bleep ]. >> he told everybody to eat his [ bleep ]. >> he told everybody to eat his [ bleep ]. >> jimmy: that's olivia wilde and oscar isaac, "life itself." in theaters now. bob dylan has a big role in this movie. >> i'm really surprised that he approved the script. >> jimmy: do you think he read the script? >> i don't because we say so many things about him sounding like he's singing with a mouthful of [ bleep ].
12:08 am
that's the next line. but somebody approved it. there's a lot of bob dylan in this movie. >> jimmy: do you love bob dylan? >> i love bob dylan, yeah. >> jimmy: in the movie your husband character played by oscar he likes like hoobastank. you love bob dylan. >> and it's like the great debate of our relationship. >> jimmy: you also play the most pregnant person i think i've ever seen in a movie. i mean, there's a shot where you're there and your stomach's out -- >> i know. can't reach the end. >> jimmy: it's like there's a washer dryer there. >> it was molded after my real pregnancy because i had just had my daughter right before we started shooting so they molded it -- >> jimmy: you had the sense to mold ahead? >> no, i molded right when i knew i was doing the movie, i was like let's get this right. so we molded. yet it looks so fake and i keep telling people that's how insanely pregnant i was. she came out as a full 2-year-old toddler. [ laughter ] >> jimmy: yeah. well, that's something else. and do you have that mold now? >> no, i don't ever want to see that thing again. skrrpt you don't want to see it
12:09 am
again. it's noting? -- by the way, your mom -- i listened to your interview with howard stern which was really great. i learned a lot about you. your parents very interesting people. your mom is running f c sonhegr. >> jimmy: what district? >> in the 5th district of virginia. which is big. it's bigger than new jersey. and it has charlottesville and then a bunch of other counties. and as we know, charlottesville, very volatile place right now. >> jimmy: right. >> and it is a really important race because if she wins then we have a much better chance of flipping the house. and it's a big deal. it's a big deal because there's issues in that part of virginia that affect all of us. health care, environment. so i'm -- >> jimmy: has she ever run for anything before? >> no. she was a journalist for 35 areas. >> jimmy: how did this happen? why did she decide to do this? >> after trump won she said the only real resistance is running for office. and i was really proud of her because it's not something i thought i could do. i still don't. especially after watching her. it's a lot of work. she's knocked on 50,000 doors, made 100,000 phone calls.
12:10 am
she has 4,500 young volunteers working for her. >> jimmy: wow. that's a lot. >> and people are volunteering from all over the country. you don't have to be from virginia to help out a campaign that are k. really make a difference. >> jimmy: are you helping her as well? >> yeah. i'm going to go do a rally at uva. jason's going to come with me. we're going to do it october 14th and do a big rally to get the young people excited about vote. >> jimmy: the young people need to vote. well, everybody needs to vote no matter what their age is. >> young, old, everybody. but really truly this is a midterm election that i think people are paying more attention to than ever. and young people typically don't vote in the midterms but they have to this time. >> jimmy: is there anything horrible in your past you want to reveal right now? [ laughter ] because we do have a couple of months before the election -- >> if trump has taught us anything, it's that there's nothing too horrible. [ cheers and applause ] everybody can -- >> jimmy: actually, funny you say that. because that's his campaign slogan for 2020. >> nothing too horrible. >> jimmy: nothing too horrible. >> nothing is off the table. >> jimmy: they're going to put it on hats and everything. it will be great.
12:11 am
>> yeah. >> jimmy: it's great to see you. i look forward to your movie. what is the name of your movie? >> my movie's called "book smart," and it should come out this spring. and i'm really excited. >> jimmy: comes out this spring. and "life itself" is in theaters right now. olivia wilde, everybody. we'll be right back. [ cheers and applause ] th ♪ uhp. i didn't believe it. again. ♪ ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth? ♪ i want to believe it. [ claps hands ] ♪ ooh i'm not hearing the confidence. okay, hold the name your price tool. power of options based on your budget! and! ♪ we'll make heaven a place on earth ♪ yeah! oh, my angels! ♪ ooh, heaven is a place on earth ♪ [ sobs quietly ]
12:12 am
♪ ooh, heaven is a place on earth ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ wow, that's an pretty great, huh?low. if you're a banana. i find it very...appealing. new kellogg's raisin bran with bananas. two scoops meet real banana slices. i've done a great job of raisin ya. wow, the new iphone really exceeds all expectations! yup! and, by getting the iphone with our unlimited plan, you can get the best in entertainment. tv and movies? yep. music? if you want. that video of you at the office party. the one where i made out with santa?
12:13 am
yes. hey! you were supposed to delete that. oh no! technically, that is also the best in entertainment. he ghosted me! 'i'm in the north pole' - yeah right. upgrade your upgrade. get the new at&t unlimited plan on the amazing new iphone. more for your thing. that's our thing. man 1: this is my body of proof. woman 1: proof of less joint pain... woman 2: ...and clearer skin. woman 3: this is my body of proof. man 2: proof that i can fight psoriatic arthritis... woman 3: this is my woman 4: body of ...with humira. woman 5: humira targets and blocks a specific source of inflammation that contributes to both joint and skin symptoms. it's proven to help relieve pain, stop further irreversible joint damage, and clear skin in many adults. humira is the #1 prescribed biologic for psoriatic arthritis. avo: humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb.
12:14 am
tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. woman 6: need more proof? woman 7: ask your rheumatologist about humira. man 1: what's your body of proof? woman 7: ask your rheumatologist doespeninsula trail?he you won't find that on a map. i'll take you there. take this left. if you listen real hard you can hear the whales. oop. you hear that? (vo) our subaru outback lets us see the world. sometimes in ways we never imagined.
12:15 am
12:16 am
this is customizable str...whatever size.r family. it's saving money with flexible channel packs. live tv and the latest shows to stream. and all your streaming apps in one place - even netflix. this is how xfinity makes life. simple. easy. awesome. get started with xfinity internet and tv for just $34.99 a month for 12 months and customize by adding flexible channel packs. click, call or visit a store today.
12:17 am
it's time for everyone to see what's in your fridge. >> i'm ginny dalton from irvine, california. welcome to my fridge. let's see what we've got. this is just some plain leftover grocery store cole slaw. a lot of people keep grated cheese on hand. i sprinkle a little bit of it, just a little on my dog's dry dog food in the morning. crispy potatoes on the bottom and ground beef -- >> thanks, ginny. >> a lot of cheese melted on top. >> okay. >> i should probably do the mom thing and sneak some veggies in there. we've got peaches in one -- >> this has been "what's in your fridge?" >> nectarines in another. >> brought to you by cisco.
12:18 am
a peaceful night sleep without only imagine... frequent heartburn waking him up. now that dream is a reality. nexium 24hr stops acid before it starts for all-day, all-night protection. can you imagine 24 hours without heartburn?
12:19 am
don't forget that the past can speak to the future. ♪ ♪ i'm going to be your substitute teacher. don't assume the substitute teacher has nothing to offer... same goes for a neighborhood. don't forget that friendships last longer than any broadway run. mr. president. (laughing) don't settle for your first draft. or your 10th draft. ♪ ♪ you get to create the room where it happens. ♪ ♪ just don't think you have to do it alone. ♪ ♪ the powerful backing of american express. don't live life without it. why shop marshalls? because... their prices will thrill you. whoo-hoo! the brands will surprise you. mwah! and every trip feels like an instant victory. woman: marshalls. never boring. always surprising. i'm on the pill. woman: marshalls. i'm on the pill. i'm on the pill, too. but it's not birth control. it's truvada for prep®, a once-daily prescription medicine for adults that when taken every day along with using safer sex practices, can help lower my chances of getting hiv through sex.
12:20 am
i use condoms. but i talked to my doctor about doing more. he said that because i had a higher chance of getting hiv through sex, truvada for prep could be an option for me. she also told me that truvada alone may not keep me from getting hiv. and it does not prevent other stis or pregnancy. you must be hiv-negative to take truvada for prep. so you need to get tested for hiv immediately before, and at least every 3 months, while taking truvada. i wanted to know about all of my prevention options, so i asked my doctor about truvada for prep. if you think you were exposed to hiv or have flu-like symptoms, tell your doctor right away. they may do more tests to confirm you are still hiv negative. serious side effects can occur, including kidney problems, kidney failure, and bone problems, which may lead to fractures. rare, life-threatening side effects include a build-up of lactic acid and liver problems. tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney, bone, or liver problems, including hepatitis. if you have hepatitis b, do not stop taking truvada without talking to your doctor.
12:21 am
common side effects include stomach pain, headache, and weight loss. ask your doctor about your risk of getting hiv and if truvada for prep may be right for you. i wanted to do more. that's why i'm on that pill. truvada for prep. this is the angel oak. some say the oldest living thing east of the mississippi. it's weathered countless storms. battered, but never broken, it stands for the resilience within us all. ♪
12:22 am
12:23 am
[ cheers and applause ] >> jimmy: welcome back. still to come, music from jungle. in just over five weeks this summer our next guest starred in two romantic comedies on netflix, gained 11 million followers on instagram, and built a maniacal new fan base. his newest movie is called "sierra burgess is a loser." it is streaming now on netflix. please welcome noah centineo. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ how are you doing? >> good. how are you? >> jimmy: you know, i want to tell you, my niece allison said you've got to get this kid noah on the show.
12:24 am
and so i said we must get this kid noah on the show. >> and here i am. you know, jimmy, i really wanted to talk to you about something. >> jimmy: good. all right. >> so i want to apologize. >> jimmy: oh, what did you do? >> i know you have a neighbor across the street that has been like keeping you up, waking your kids up nonstop. >> jimmy: that's right. yes. >> he's a very, very close friend of mine. [ laughter ] and i was there one of the nights and may or may not have been me screaming in the driveway. >> jimmy: oh, really? is that right? no, the screaming, those were girls screaming. maybe those were your fans gathered outside the house. >> oh, boy. >> jimmy: oh, wow. how about that? >> you know, we saged his house. we're turning over a new leaf. >> jimmy: he was very nice. he sent flowers to the house. he apologized for his behavior, he wrote, which was funny because i thought i bet his parents wrote this for him. >> they actually didn't. >> jimmy: they didn't? really? >> it was all him.
12:25 am
>> jimmy: well, i appreciate him -- yeah, i got mad. because it was like 3:00 in the morning. and i don't like to call the police, you know, because i was young once, at one time as well. but also i was like, all right, enough with this already. >> it was the nicest shut the hell up letter i've ever read in my entire life. >> jimmy: oh, really? good. he shared it with everyone. [ laughter ] >> yeah. it was the nicest thing. i was like oh, you literally need to send him flowers. this is such a nicely worded letter. >> jimmy: yeah. i still haven't met the kid. he's got the house but i've not actually met him. i don't even believe he exists. maybe he's a character you play. >> it's really me who's partying and -- >> jimmy: yeah, it could be. well, you've certainly -- how has this happened? do you have any idea why and how this happened so quickly? because we did like the math and we found out you've been gaining 300,000 instagram followers a month over like the last couple of years. which is -- a day?
12:26 am
>> a day. [ cheers and applause ] >> jimmy: really? a day? >> a day. >> jimmy: oh, my god. >> i see you guys. [ cheers and applause ] >> jimmy: that's great. a day. it's -- why? what happened? >> i have no -- i guess people like netflix and they like rom comes. and i was fortunate enough to book two random ones that got sold to netflix. >> jimmy: but there are other people in these movies and this hasn't happened to them. [ laughter ] you haven't done a lot of examination on why it's happening. are you enjoying this? >> yeah. >> jimmy: can you go places now? >> yeah. >> jimmy: do people chase you? >> they do. they do kind of. i had this one experience. i went to new york just for some work. and i was at baggage claim. and i had my headphones on and i was just like waiting for my bag to come out. and then i feel like a presence approach me from here. and without even knowing, i just
12:27 am
like sidestep and take my headphones off and there's like four people looking at me. and i was like, hi. and they were like hey, how was your flight? [ laughter ] and i was like, it was good. how was yours? and they were like oh, no, no, no, we didn't fly, we're here for you. >> jimmy: they knew you were on the plane. >> they somehow knew i was flying in to jfk and the time i was going there and they parked in the same place where the driver parks, and they walked us to the car and then they followed the car to the city. >> jimmy: oh. >> and when we got into the city i was like, there's totally people following us. i was like can you make a left or right and then a uturn? he did. we turned around. white honda accord. >> jimmy: and did you -- you were able to lose them? >> oh, yeah. he need for speeded out. >> jimmy: he did? >> yeah. >> jimmy: was it kind of fun to finally in your life be in a situation where you're like "lose them, they're tailing us." >> i'm in a movie, finally. [ laughter ] >> jimmy: tony soprano or something.
12:28 am
>> >> hey, get out of here. >> no, it was actually kind of scary. it's the first time you look at something and you're like oh, my life is scary. >> jimmy: you can tell people if they are your fans ton come meet you at the airport, you've already got a driver and you don't need help with the luggage and it would be just better if we stuck to movie premieres. >> there's a beautiful full circle to this story because i went back a second time. >> jimmy: to the airport? >> to the same airport for a different round of press. and they were there again. >> jimmy: the same people? >> same people. except they added another person -- >> jimmy: oh, no. they're multiplying. so i walk up to them and i'm like, hi. hi, guys. and they're like hey, we want to apologize. we talked it out. i was like, i. love your love. i love the fact you care about me and you showed up here. that's fantastic. stop following me. the rest is cool. just don't follow me. >> jimmy: did they follow you, like were they in the back of the plane or -- >> no. they said good-bye. and i said good-bye.
12:29 am
and i just walked away. >> jimmy: we got the sense that there were people that were here in our audience that were very excited to see you. we asked you to do something. and you were kind enough to do it. we gave you a disguise. we sent you out to the line where people line up to see the show. in the hopes of tricking them. >> we'll see. >> jimmy: it almost worked. ♪ >> we're looking for the biggest noah centineo fans because you might have the opportunity to meet him. >> oh, my god. >> okay? so we're going to ask you some trivia questions. three of his projects. name three of noah centineo's projects. >> the busters. the lover boy. >> where was he born? >> florida. >> what town in florida? do you know? >> it was boca raton, florida. >> oh, my god! >> is what it stands for.
12:30 am
>> oh, my god. hi, guys. >> noah's middle name. >> frederick. >> name his character from the fosters. >> jesus. >> jesus. that is right. that is right. okay. how old -- [ screaming ] >> i thought it was pronounced jesus. of course. i don't even know you. >> what do you think of all this? this is crazy, huh? ♪ >> i don't know what gave it away. >> jimmy: i'm going to loan you that beard for when you go to the airport. i think it will be a nice addition. >> it's necessary. >> jimmy: you're from boca raton? >> yeah. >> jimmy: is the family back there excited about your newfound fame? >> yeah. my dad's there. and i face-timed him before i
12:31 am
came out. >> jimmy: is he one of your instagram followers? >> he's one of them. >> jimmy: does he have an instagram account? >> he does. >> jimmy: are people trying to semi on your family? >> absolutely. >> jimmy: does he get excited by that? >> he loves it. >> jimmy: oh, he does. he's like oh, that's so great. tell me more. he's just like soaking up all of the -- >> jimmy: that's good. he should be soaking things up. it's great to have you here. thank you for coming. please come back again. noah centineo, everybody. "sierra burgess is a loser" is screaming on netflix. we'll be right back with jungle. [ cheers and applause ] >> dicky: the "jimmy kimmel live" concert series is presented by mercedes-benz. the best or nothing. ing.
12:32 am
12:33 am
>> dicky: the "jimmy kimmel live" concert series is presented by meshds bercedes-be. the best or nothing. >> jimmy: thanks to olivia wilde and noah centineo. apologies to matt damon. this is their album. it's called "for ever." here with the song "heavy california," jungle! [ cheers and applause ] ♪
12:34 am
♪ ♪ ♪ one day she'll take the world from you ooh ooh ooh ooh women baby that i meet yeah ooh ♪ ♪ they all tell me i don't need ya now runnin' baby hold on i'll be here for you just hold me ♪ ♪ i'm a lonely heart you've been miles away just hold me and we'll never get hurt you've been miles away ♪ ♪ heavy california i will love you
12:35 am
can't afford you it's a heaven ♪ ♪ waitin' for you so i'm headin' for california our love california miss the sunlight i was sayin' ♪ ♪ your love was so crazy so hold on to it for me come on baby hold on i'll be here for you heavy california ♪ ♪ i will love you can't afford you it's a heaven waitin' for you so i'm headin' for california our love california ♪
12:36 am
♪ just hold me i'm a lonely heart you've been miles away held up at the border just hold me and ♪ ♪ we'll never get hurt you've been miles away heavy california i will love you can't afford you ♪ ♪ it's a heaven waitin' for you so i'm headin' for california our love california our love california ♪ ♪ ooh california ♪ [ cheers and applause ]
12:37 am
this is "nightline." >> tonight, returning to puerto rico one year after the horror of hurricane maria. >> hola. >> signs of recovery. >> look at this. a brand new roof. >> reminders of death and devastation. >> she has no house. she is lost. >> and questions about the future. >> what are we going to change so that this doesn't happen again? >> our linda lopez heads back for the sing easrit her sister. plus, minimum sentence, maximum outrage. behind the laughter. >> hey, it's turk and j.d. and j.d. >> a comedy star stabbing his ex-girlfriend more than 20 times. >> he pulled out his hand and

360 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on