Skip to main content

tv   Late Night With Seth Meyers  NBC  February 20, 2015 12:36am-1:38am PST

12:36 am
12:37 am
[ cheers and applause ] ♪ >> announcer: from 30 rockefeller plaza in new york, it's "late night with seth meyers." tonight -- zachary quinto. from "the duff,' mae whitman. fashion designer carolina herrera. featuring the 8g band. ♪ [ cheers and applause ] and now, here he is, seth meyers! ♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: good evening, everybody. i'm seth meyers. this is "late night".
12:38 am
how's everybody doing tonight? [ cheers ] oh, whoa. that is good to hear. you guys, the academy awards are this weekend, and oscar fever is sweeping the nation. oh sorry, i read that wrong. that's measles. [ laughter ] measles is sweeping the nation. so have fun at your measles party this weekend. and good luck filling out your measles ballot. [ laughter ] yesterday, this is exciting, yesterday kim jong-un debuted a new haircut and half-shaved eyebrows. let's take a look. [ laughter ] those eyebrows are un-bleak. actually, can we see that again? [ light laughter ] i don't know how you're going to achieve world domination when even your eyebrows are losing territory. [ laughter ] take this as a lesson, this is
12:39 am
what happens when you execute your barber mid-haircut. let's see that picture one more time. oh, that's great. and the good news is that pompadour means he's finally tall enough to ride space mountain. good news for him because i know that's been long -- long been a goal. this is a crazy story. don't know if you saw this. but vanilla ice told reporters yesterday that his arrest this week for burglarizing an abandoned house is all a misunderstanding. it's all just a big misunderstanding. apparently, what happened was he misunderstood how long that "ice ice baby" money would last. [ light laughter ] ha-ha-ha-ha. [ laughter ] hey, youuys, photoshop is turning 25 this week. well, actually, it's turning 38, but it looks 25. very helpful on birthdays. any comic book fans here? [ cheers ]
12:40 am
well, yesterday marvel comics released its first ever comic series featuring a female asian-american superhero named silk. said silk's parents, "you could have been a doctor." [ laughter and applause ] your name is silk? fighting crime? not sure how to feel about this. a company has come out with a new product called the cool baby. the cool baby. which is an infant doll designed to hold and chill alcohol. [ laughter ] and can sit in baby carriers. but, guys, use it responsibly because overuse of cool baby can lead to actual baby. [ laughter ] and finally, very exciting news, tlc is reportedly working on a spinoff of "here comes honey boo boo". they're calling it "you people will watch anything". ladies and gentlemen, this is the 8g band. ♪
12:41 am
[ cheers and applause ] >> seth: how we doing, 8g band? everybody good over there? i want to say thanks to matt schulz, who's been sitting in on drums all week for fred. thank you so much for being here. [ cheers and applause ] for those who are wondering, fred was in l.a. this week. and the reason he's there is very exciting. he's going to host the independent spirit awards with kristen bell on ifc this saturday. or so he says. i don't know. i think this one is true. it's impossible to tell. watch saturday on ifc and find out. also, yesterday i mentioned a charity i'm involved with called cycle for survival. it's an event that was founded in 2007 by my friends jennifer goodman linn and her husband, dave. jen was fighting cancer and decided to raise money by putting together an indoor cycling fund-raiser in a studio in equinox. now eight years later, it's in 13 cities and it's raised over
12:42 am
$66 million, every penny of which has gone to memorial sloan kettering for rare cancer research. [ applause ] i'm riding with my team, team seth, march 8th right here at equinox in new york. i also mentioned perry zimmerman yesterday. here's a picture of perry and i. perry is 14. she's a three-time cancer survivor. and in the last two years, she has been the top fund-raising team in the nation, and in five years she's raised over $1 million. [ cheers and applause ] she is very good. she is an incredible fund-raiser. she is formidable, which is why i need your help. this year i desperately want to out-raise perry. [ laughter ] i am so sick -- i am sick to my stomach of her getting all the attention, and i think it is my time to shine. now, yesterday i made the case that choosing whether to donate to a 14-year-old cancer survivor or a celebrity who wants attention is no choice at all. and, you guys, america listened. here were our fund-raising
12:43 am
totals going into yesterday. there you see team seth at $100. [ laughter ] team perry was at $122,000. and here they are as of this taping. [ laughter ] my total went up 800%. you guys, i've got this. but we can't take our foot off the gas. so if you want to donate to team seth, follow this link. and if you want to donate to team perry, follow this link. you can also go to latenightseth.com or cycleforsurvival.org. let's send a message to inspirational kids like perry everywhere that celebrities come first. i think they need to learn it. you guys, we've got a great show for you tonight. [ cheers and applause ] from the nbc miniseries, "the slap", zachary quinto is here. [ cheers and applause ] she's the star of the upcoming film, "the duff", mae whitman. can't wait to talk to her. and one of my favorite people, legendary fashion designer carolina herrera will be joining us tonight. [ cheers and applause ] she designed my wife's wedding dress. this is a very important person in my life.
12:44 am
now, you guys, this is pretty exciting. the new york toy fair was here this week, and even more exciting, i got to stop by and check it out. let's take a look. >> seth: hey, everybody, we're at the new york 2015 toy fair. you can just feel the excitement here in the javits center. so we're going to check out the floor. ♪ hey, everybody, we're here at the smack ball display, and it's fun for everyone. do you think this is fun, truly fun for everyone? >> oh, my god, it's so much fun. >> seth: what if you were a recovering heroin addict? do you think the use of smack would bring up terrible memories for you? we're here at the lego star wars display and i thought it would be fun to point out the ones that i want. want, want, want, want, want, want, want, want. well, we're over where all the cool kids hang out. it's the dice section. [ laughter ] we're here with blaine. how are you blaine? >> i'm good. i'm good. >> seth: that is an excellent mustache. >> thank you very much. >> seth: it looks like you robbed these dice from a train. [ laughter ] blaine and i are about to play a fun game of german article dice.
12:45 am
>> yeah! dd. [ shouting incoherently ] [ laughter ] >> seth: little known historical fact, this is what adolf hitler and eva braun were doing before they killed themselves. [ laughter ] want, want, want, want. you know what i'm thinking? i should call my wife before i buy all of these. no, yeah. yeah, that makes sense. i have to think about where we'd put them. yes, yes. but can i -- so drones are a popular toy item now, yes? >> absolutely, more and more every week. >> seth: and would you say there are a lot of other companies making drones? >> yes. >> seth: and, therefore, would you say that it's hard keeping up with the droneses? [ laughter ] >> absolutely. >> seth: no, but would you actually say it? no, i didn't buy it already. i was just looking at it. we're here with blake who is a toy store owner in lake tahoe. how are you doing, blake? >> doing great. >> seth: okay, great. so here's what's going it happen now. i'm going to show you a new line of "late night" toys and i want you to give me an honest
12:46 am
assessment of whether you think they are good toys. so we have an actual figure called mad dad. and i'm going to give you a demonstration. here's the dad, right? totally mild mannered. looking cool. and then, you say something like, "hey, i wrecked the car." mad dad! [ laughter ] dad, i'd like you to meet my boyfriend, juan. mad dad! can i get an advance on my allowance to my molly? mad dad! [ laughter ] a dreidel is an incredibly popular toy. up until now, only jewish kids can enjoy it. but not anymore with the agnostic dreidel. this is really great because you have your normal shin. you have hay. you have gimel. and then you have maybe there is no god. [ laughter ] i really think this could be a hit. >> you know, it could be. let's see how it plays. >> seth: gimel, thank god. we have a new barbie that we think is going to knock the kids' socks off. >> great, let me see it. >> seth: okay, it's called chevy malibu barbie and it imagines what would happen if barbie fused with a chevy malibu. [ laughter ]
12:47 am
this one is a surefire winner. it's called hot, hot stove. it's a fully functional hot, hot stove. you can actually make real bacon there. oh, [ bleep ]! [ bleep ] [ laughter ] guess what movie this is from? [ piano plays ] "the piano". thanks, everybody, that's been "late night" visits the 2015 toy fair. we'll see you soon. [ cheers and applause ] we'll be right back with more "late night". [ cheers and applause ] ♪ started my camry, remembered the choices i've made, to be bold where others are scared, to show her right from wrong,
12:48 am
and realized my little girl had become an amazing human being, who will make choices of her own. toyota, let's go places. ♪ ♪
12:49 am
♪ [bassist] two late nights in blew an amp.but good nights. sure,music's why we do this,but it's still our business. we spend days booking gigs, then we've gotta put in the miles to get there. but it's not without its perks. like seeing our album sales go through the roof enough to finally start paying meg's little brother- i mean,our new tour manager-with real,actual money. we run on quickbooks.that's how we own it. today, his doctor has him on a bayer aspirin regimen to help reduce the risk of another one. if you've had a heart attack, be sure to talk to your doctor before your begin an aspirin regimen.
12:50 am
♪ ♪
12:51 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back to "late night," everybody. you know, i watch a lot of tv, and when i watch a show, i watch it all the way to the end. i like to see the closing credits to learn who worked on the shows i love. now, we all know that every show has actors, writers, a director. but if you look a bit closer, you might notice that some shows have other credits that you may not have ever seen. we're going to take a look at some of those in a segment we call, "hidden credits". ♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: let's get started. first, "nashville" is a very popular show about the world of country music. it stars actors from all over the world, so this guy is very
12:52 am
important. twang-authenticator, billy joe kershaw. you don't want your twang to be inauthentic. that's what killed "true blood". are these vampires from the bayou or are they from australia? i need to know where my vampires are from. [ light laughter ] the new season of "the voice" premieres next week on nbc. i've got to say, i was surprised to see this in the credits. there you go. chair oiler, mitch watkins. may seem like an unimportant job, but check out this tape from what happened the time mitch's union went on strike. [ chairs squeak ] "downton abbey" is still a big hit. it's a big production with a large crew, but the actors couldn't do it without harrumphing coach, nigel smythe-pennington. when someone accidentally uses their soup spoon during the oyster course, he's the one that teaches mr. carson to make this noise in reaction.
12:53 am
>> bah! [ laughter ] >> seth: "who wants to be a millionaire" is, of course, the popular game show where contestants -- of course it is -- the popular game show where contestants answer multiple choice questions for a chance to win big bucks. and this guy's been a crucial part of the show for years. there it is, writer of the "d" answers, edgar sims. someday he's hoping to get promoted to writing the "c" answers. keep reaching for those stars, edgar. next up is "game of thrones". incredible special effects on the show, which is why i was so surprised to see this in the credits. there it is. front half of the dragon, joseph goldstein. back half of the dragon, albert goldstein. i'd always assumed it was cgi, but it's just two guys inside a costume. i was shocked. then, i re-watched it and you can kind of tell. let's take a look. >> sorry. [ laughter ] >> seth: i have to get the goldstein brothers on the show. next up we have "jeopardy!"
12:54 am
they couldn't film the show without this guy. so important. here it is. post-commercial break alex trebek waker-upper, jay webb. one time jay called in sick and alex slept through all of double jeopardy! finally we've got someone here at "late night with seth meyers". a lot of great people work on our show, but we often don't mention this guy. here it is. drunk drone camera operator, greg mcgee. oh, and here comes greg now. all right, buddy, steady as it goes. steady as it goes. come on, greg, you can do this. oh no, you've been drinking again! no! greg, you have a family! looking back, it was our fault hiring someone who's credit was drunk drone operator. all right, we'll be right back with zachary quinto. [ cheers and applause ] ♪
12:55 am
in the outback, where there's wood there's flavor. our wood-fire grilled favorites are just a click away. because now with click thru seating, you'll get seated faster than ever. go to outback.com to get before you arrive. get online. get seated faster today. only at outback steakhouse. this little piece of hershey's chocolate... is called a pip! it's the way we all start and end a hershey's bar. pip by delicious pip. hershey's is mine, yours, our chocolate.
12:56 am
♪ ♪ the bold nissan rogue, with intuitive all-wheel drive. because winter needs a hero. now get 0% financing or up to $1,000 back on the 2015 nissan rogue. nissan. innovation that excites.
12:57 am
♪ ♪
12:58 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back, everybody. our first guest tonight is an emmy-nominated actor and producer who you know from his
12:59 am
work on "heroes", "american horror story" and the "star trek" franchise. you can see him starring in the miniseries, "the slap", airing thursday nights at 8:00 on nbc. let's take a look. >> my lawyer says i need witnesses that aren't part of the family to testify that i was protecting my son if it went to court. >> listen. that boy was being a little monster. he's getting worse and worse. someone should have smacked him before this. >> then say that. >> someone, maybe. the boy's parents. but not you. listen, harry, you come from a place where men can get away with whatever they want. but the world has changed. and they're going to come after you, believe me. >> don't be so dramatic. i need a couple -- one, one, sane, rational person to testify that i was -- >> i'm not going to get involved with this case. >> yeah, i get it. >> seth: please welcome back to the show, zachary quinto. [ cheers and applause ] ♪
1:00 am
>> seth: so lovely to have you back again. >> i'm so happy to be back. thank you. >> seth: it's been lovely having you in new york. you shot "the slap" here. >> that's right. >> seth: and i thought you were just here for a little bit, but you actually have moved to new york city. >> tried and true, full fledged. sold my house in l.a. >> seth: fully here. >> fully here. picked the best time of year, the balmiest season to arrive. >> seth: you're here and you just want to spin around in the street. >> spend time outside as much as i can. wearing a lot of sandals these days. >> seth: did you have cold weather clothes? did you have to -- >> no, i did. i grew up in pittsburgh. you know that. since i was here, by the way -- >> seth: it won. >> it won the ugliest accent in america. we were talking about it before. >> seth: right. last time you were here it was semifinals. >> it was in the semifinals, and then it just prevailed. >> seth: it did. city of champions. >> so, yeah, the cold is nothing new to me. i love the cold, actually. i decided when i lived in l.a. for 12 years before i moved here, and i really made this promise, which was i would surrender to the cold and not complain about it. >> seth: all right.
1:01 am
how's that going? >> are you a complainer about the cold? >> seth: i'm not a complainer about the cold. >> no, you're not. >> seth: i grew up in new hampshire. my wife complains because she had to move from l.a. for the purposes of living with her husband. [ laughter ] so -- but she says it like it's my fault. >> uh-huh. that you're responsible for the cold? >> seth: she'll go, three degrees! >> thanks, seth. >> seth: as if i left something out that made it three degrees. >> yeah. >> seth: and so "the slap". this is a miniseries based on an australian show. >> based on an australian novel and a miniseries down there. >> seth: we had peter here yesterday talking about it. and now, you -- it's about somebody slapping a kid. spoiler alert. and you're the slapper. >> yeah. >> seth: and it's very jarring when you -- 'cause you slap someone else's kid. >> yeah. >> seth: you should never slap another person's kid, but, and i said this yesterday, this was the kid that if you could -- >> if you're going to slap a kid. >> seth: you could slap this kid. >> this one would be really top of the list. [ laughter ] >> seth: yeah. and you haul off and slap him, but, of course, you can't slap an actor, especially a kid actor, so there had to have been a bit of staging.
1:02 am
>> my favorite thing about the interviews that i've done so far is the people that are like, "so you didn't really hit him, did you?" and i was like, "well, no." [ laughter ] of course not. and the wellbeing of the kids was always the most important thing on the adults' minds. >> seth: sure. >> but the kids were, like, they were so professional. and i was like, i basically feel like i should study acting with these kids. they seamlessly move in and out of the intensity of the scenes. i think it's because kids naturally engage their imagination. they don't need to be coddled or taught about the difference between reality and pretend. they kind of know it intrinsically. so, we made sure they were safe, you know, and they handled it really well. i was very impressed with that aspect of it. >> seth: and on the plus side, because of i think the project, the rest of their life, or at least the rest of their childhood, they'll know it's possible they could get slapped. [ laughter ] so, hopefully they'll all behave a little bit better. >> keep it in line. >> seth: you play -- well, you're greek in this. >> yes. >> seth: you were so good
1:03 am
speaking greek, but you had to learn it for this. >> i did have to learn it. yes, i did. we had a great dialect coach, this guy doug honorof, who was really so great at working with us on, like, the sounds, obviously, like the language. but then also the underlying meaning and how stresses would be different and sound change. it's a fascinating world getting into dialect stuff. >> seth: well, i would imagine just because you're already pretending to be someone else. and then it seems like that would be a part of your brain that would focus on the details of getting an accent right would then take you back to being an actor. >> yeah, it's interesting. and also having to really imbue your line with an emotional undercurrent, that's the most fascinating part. you know, you have to get past the part where you're thinking about it. and you have to get to the part where you sort of know what you're saying. >> seth: and brian cox who plays -- is he your father in it? >> he's my uncle. >> seth: uncle. and did he learn it for this as well? >> yeah, yeah. peter and brian and maria tucci, the amazing maria tucci, who plays my aunt koula, she also learned it and i learned it.
1:04 am
>> seth: that's great. >> yeah, it was really fun. >> seth: any time you can pick up an extra skill like that, it's really good. >> and it's going to come in handy, you know? i know that very well when i'm at the street cart tomorrow ordering a gyro. [ laughter ] i can throw a little greek in there. >> seth: exactly. when you say how much is that? and he says $5. you can say, that's malaka. [ laughter ] >> totally. >> seth: this is really exciting for me because it's one of my favorite shows. but, i didn't realize, you've an arc coming up on "girls". >> i do, yeah. >> seth: that's so great. yeah, i mean, that is such a well-oiled machine at this point. how is it to step into a show like that? how is it to work with lena? >> you know, i've always thought of them as the cool kids, really. totally, i was cool enough to be on that show. then, miraculously, it just happened. like, they reached out and asked if i would come. you will see a lot of me on "girls." >> seth: oh, that was my follow up. [ cheers ] that was my follow up. >> even though i only did two episodes. >> seth: oh, so two episodes. but we get full quinto? >> you get a lot. you know i bared a lot for that experience. but it was so cool to be part of that world. as you say, it's a well-oiled machine.
1:05 am
they're so collaborative and welcoming. i'm so grateful to just now be sort of in their orbit and friends with them. >> seth: yeah, especially now that you've moved to new york. that's a real good cred card to say i worked on "girls". >> i've got to go to brooklyn. i have a meeting with the creators of "girls" in brooklyn. >> seth: there's a lot of coffee shops where you can cut to the front of the line now. >> totally. >> seth: i was on "girls". excuse me. >> did you see episode seven of season three? i'm not sure. season four, i think. >> seth: you are also in a new movie. i just want to show a still because i'm so excited about this. it's called "hit man: agent 47". >> yeah. yeah, man. >> seth: this is real. this is action-zach. look at that. that's you right there. and that -- but here's the thing. i feel like this is the better hit man than you. >> well, he's the hit man. >> seth: yeah, he's so still and you're all flopping around. [ laughter ] >> i'm trying to really reach for it. i've just been thrown off my game right there. >> seth: yeah, you're working way too hard. and this guy's super cool. >> but that's the nature. he's the man. >> seth: he's the hit man and you're the hittie. >> maybe that's why it's named after him. >> seth: that's true. >> and my character's name is
1:06 am
john smith. >> seth: oh, are you really? >> yeah. >> seth: oh, wow, that's -- >> really original. >> seth: yeah, that does seem like character that's not alive at the end. [ laughter ] i'm just saying. i don't know. >> no spoilers here. >> seth: no, no spoilers. now that we're talking about it, it's so great to obviously be able to choose projects that you're excited about. a lot of actors in early days had to pay the bills. you had some good ones. i've read some interviews. you talked about some good ones. you were on "charmed." >> i was on "charmed" as a warlock. >> seth: okay. [ laughter ] >> a warlock with emo bangs. >> seth: wow. >> it's a really good combination. people are really unproportionally frightened of emo bangs. >> seth: and were you a warlock with lines? >> oh, yeah. i was chasing a character who is really a cat. >> seth: okay. >> and the culmination of the episode is that i was attacked by a litter of cats. and in order to make it work, they had to put chicken in my pockets. [ laughter ] that was maybe a low point. >> seth: that is --
1:07 am
there's a real gap between cgi cats and chicken in the pockets. [ laughter ] >> they also, to be fair, used puppet cats. >> seth: oh, wow. >> so, there were people with cats on sticks that were, like, poking at me as though were attacking me. and i was just like that. >> seth: when that was happening, did you say, "cut, why do i have to have chicken in my pockets?" [ laughter ] >> i said, maybe i'd prefer waiting tables. i'm not so sure about this. >> seth: then, what's "that's life"? that was another show you were on. >> yeah, that was a show in the early 2000s with ellen burstyn and paul sorvino you might have missed. and that was -- i played a -- i played a high school basketball mascot who was dressed as a chicken, and mid-way through -- >> seth: did you have cats in your pocket? [ laughter ] >> there were cats that just came out in the middle of the scene. the only thing that my character had was pants that fell down. >> seth: oh, really? >> yeah, man. it was a really -- >> seth: how many takes did you have to do of your pants falling down? >> way too many. and it was, like, in a gymnasium full of people. and, like, if i had had any other significant contribution to the episode, maybe i would
1:08 am
have felt better about it. literally, that's all i did. >> seth: wow. well, i'm so glad that now you are -- >> we all have to start somewhere. >> seth: you know, at some point, when that was happening, you could have thought -- i hope you were thinking, you know, if everything breaks right, maybe one day i'll get to slap a kid. [ laughter ] >> and look how it worked out, you know what i mean? >> seth: zach quinto, everybody. "the slap" airs thursday nights on nbc. we'll be right back with mae whitman. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ americans. 83% try...
1:09 am
...to eat healthy. yet up to 90% fall short in getting... ...key nutrients from food alone. let's do more. add one a day men's. complete with key nutrients we may need. plus it helps support healthy blood pressure with vitamin d and magnesium. one a day men's. lemons are squeezing, and stomachs are growling. or is it just me? every minute between you and red lobster's lobsterfest feels like an eternity. and who could blame you for craving our largest variety of succulent lobster dishes all year? dishes like dueling lobster tails. with one tail topped with creamy shrimp and a second tail stuffed with tender crab. i was hungry already, and now you show me lobster lover's dream® let's make this dream a reality. a delicious, delicious reality.
1:10 am
but one that won't last forever, so hurry in. theat devry university we to fican help...e. by maximizing qualifying transfer credits, so you can graduate sooner. all you need... is a good reason to finish now. get started at devry.edu. taonly better because it'says not the holidays roger, it is 53 days until christmas! it's not reasonable! ya, it is better oscar mayer carving board gives you all the taste of the holidays, without all the hassle. let's spark the fire. ♪ use your mastercard with apple pay okay handbag out there...surprise!! and you could get a priceless surprise.
1:11 am
woah!! who's next? four!! from golf experiences to concert tickets. ♪ so much cooler when you do it do it do it. ♪ ♪ let's spark the fire. even the chance to meet gwen stefani. ♪ let's spark the fire. cool hair ah! haha priceless. ♪ everybody let's go!
1:12 am
1:13 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back to "late night", everybody. our next guest just finished her six-season run on the hit nbc show, "parenthood". starting tomorrow, you can see her in the new film, "the duff". let's take a look. >> well, wait, you're having a party on a wednesday? on a school night? >> yeah, i can do that. >> damn, dude, all right. well, yeah, we're in. >> ooh, um -- bianca, you have to have an actual invite to get in, and i only have a certain amount. but if anything changes, i'll let you know. problem solved. >> oh, hey. look at that. >> wonderful. >> can't wait! should i bring anything or -- okay. >> seth: please welcome mae whitman.
1:14 am
[ cheers and applause ] ♪ >> seth: how are you? >> i'm so good! >> seth: i'm so happy you're here. >> i'm so happy to be here. >> seth: so, i just want to ask right off top, what -- you know, because we had zachary on. he was talking about "the slap." i know what a slap is. "the duff". i don't know what a duff is. >> you don't know. you don't know, okay. i know what a slap is, too. >> seth: okay. >> a duff is -- actually, it stands for designated ugly fat friend. which is just mean. >> seth: that is so mean. >> it's so mean. but you went to high school, right? >> seth: i did go to a high school, yeah. >> how did it feel? >> seth: there were some mean people. >> wasn't great, right? for me, personally, it wasn't a great experience. it was very mean. basically, actually, this movie is sort of breathing life into the stereotypes and people that feel like they're, like, labeled or put into boxes. i grew up being bullied, and so this felt like a really important story for me to tell. it's kind of like a good be
1:15 am
yourself and love yourself. yeah, it's actually really a cool movie, and it's also really funny, which is always good. >> seth: i am working a pro-bullying movie right now. >> okay, good. well, i'll see you at the box office. >> seth: now that you say all the stuff you said, i'm like that was a bad call. i feel like i made some mistakes. i have some pretty dodgy investors. >> we'll see what the numbers are. we'll play it by ear. >> seth: you filmed this in atlanta? >> yes. >> seth: i heard of people going out to do karaoke. >> sure. >> seth: what kind of karaoke were you doing in atlanta? >> well, in atlanta, there's a place called sister louisa's, and it's a church organ -- [ scattered cheers ] you know? that's the best. it's called sister louisa's and it's church organ karaoke. so, you go upstairs, and there's a guy who sits at a church organ. and he makes you put on church robes and stand at a pulpit. and then, he like sloppily plays whatever song you request. >> seth: but he'll still do pop songs. >> he'll do pop songs, yeah. >> seth: okay, it's not like hymn karaoke. >> no, it's not. you don't have to be familiar with the traditional hymns. no, actually, i sang "allison" after a couple of tequilas. it was sort of successful.
1:16 am
it was really -- it was a stupendous town. i love it. >> seth: did it feel empowering to be wearing the robe and in the pulpit? >> i did feel a certain holy sense of oneness with elvis costello. [ laughter ] which is always a good feeling. >> seth: yeah, the altar of elvis is a good one to be at. >> yes. >> seth: so congratulations on "parenthood. what an incredible show. what an incredible run. [ cheers and applause ] >> thank you so much. >> seth: same creator as a show that i realize we both are insane for, "friday night lights". >> it's so good. >> seth: it's the best. >> what a powerful show. >> seth: did you watch "snl" when it was on or did you find it later? because i found it later. >> i found it later. in a way, it was actually the best because i would just sit there all day and file through a million episodes and feel sorry for myself that i wasn't actually a character on that show. >> seth: but you have now found a way to intersect your life with a lot of the characters. you're playing with the same actors, different characters. >> yes. >> seth: so here you are with matt lauria. he was your -- >> he was my boyfriend.
1:17 am
>> seth: your boyfriend on "parenthood" for a while. and then, why are you dressed up in "friday night lights" clothes here? >> well, it was halloween and tim riggins is my favorite person on the planet, even though he's not real. so, i had a tiny jersey made, actually a tiny riggins jersey by the people that made actual panthers jerseys. >> seth: that's really great. >> and i walked around with bud lights. and i was really brooding and rude to everybody on set all day. >> seth: that's great. >> i really sold it. >> seth: and then we sort of see, in the end of "parenthood", you ended up with scott porter. scott porter, is that his name? he played jason street. >> yes, he's amazing. >> seth: i guess my question is how many cast members from "friday night lights" have you made out with? >> i'm glad you asked. i'm up to three. >> seth: that's really good. >> i'm working on it. i'm really working on it. >> seth: that's really good. [ cheers ] >> somebody sent me a picture. and they were like, you really can't be stopped. and it was like, landry, reed and everybody. and cafferty. >> seth: have you finished "friday night lights"? >> finished is a relative term. i haven't. i actually saved the last episode because i really feel like something will die inside of me, something that i need, for, like, at least the next year or so. >> seth: my wife and i watched
1:18 am
it. i remember it like it's a terrible thing that happened. we were in a hotel room in geneva. >> you know exactly where you were. >> seth: we watched it on our laptop. and when it was over, we just closed the laptop. and my wife and i haven't talked since. [ laughter ] >> i understand that. i'm right there. i am not looking forward to that moment, so i'm going to put it off a little longer. >> seth: you have been doing this thing a long time, this acting thing a long time. and you've done some iconic work. you were on "friends" when you were 9-years-old? >> i was. it's so exciting. look at that picture. >> seth: here you are as 9-year-old on "friends". [ audience aws ] >> thank you. >> seth: so as a 9-year-old, were you hip to "friends" or was this just any other gig? >> isn't it weird that i, actually, of all the things that i've ever booked - - see, that was my traumatic experience. but it was traumatic in a good way. i remember exactly where i was. >> seth: right. >> i was so excited. i must have not gotten, like, 80% of the jokes, maybe 90% of the jokes on "friends". i was 9-years-old, but i just openly wept. i was in a convenience store with my parents. when i found out i booked it, i just stood there, like, weeping openly. i was so excited. >> seth: that is -- >> it's really the best show.
1:19 am
>> seth: that is so outstanding. but, this is even better. for me, personally, "friends" is cool. but you played this up and coming actor's daughter. this is you with george clooney. look at that. >> he doesn't look familiar. oh, yes, george clooney. >> seth: then, you ran into him later in life. so, now you're a teenager, you worked with clooney years ago, and you run into him at the movie theater? >> yes, and he's a big goof ball. anybody who knows, he really likes to pull those pranks and be a tease. he took my kind of like doofy, lanky teenage boyfriend aside, and he was like, "mae, great to see you. how are you? can i talk to you for a sec?" he kind of, like, took him in a corner and like roughed him up. he kind of, like, touched him and was like, "if you break her heart, i'm going to come for you, man. i'm going to come for you." [ laughter ] it was wonderful. he was like, "okay, sure." it was really special. >> seth: and now i've had some other people on who have done these. jason reitman, the director, does live reads of -- i thought it was movie scripts, but you did a tv reading. >> yes. >> seth: so, he casts sort of known projects. and you did the pilot of "breaking bad". >> yes. so cool.
1:20 am
>> seth: and you were cast you as -- >> pinkman, baby! >> seth: so, they cast you as jessie pinkman, which is great. >> yes, it was so cool. >> seth: of course, they were casting you. there was no expectation that the cast of "breaking bad" would come to see this. >> no, of course not. >> seth: but they all came. >> they all came. it was so scary and amazing. >> seth: so, before you did it, too. so, you met aaron paul beforehand and you were about to play him on stage. >> yeah, i was so stressed. i was nervous enough already because you're like bringing this amazing character to life, and then he came. >> seth: there you are. so, there you are meeting him. >> they all came. i was so scared. and i was like, "do you have any advice for me out there?" he was like, "just get out there, bitch!" and i was like, "yeah!" [ laughter ] it was like such an adrenaline rush. >> seth: and did it go well? >> it went amazingly. >> seth: oh, that's great. well, congratulations. it's so wonderful to meet you. >> thank you so much. >> seth: thank you so much for being here. mae whitman, everybody. "the duff" hits theaters tomorrow, february 20th. we'll be right back with carolina herrera. [ cheers and applause ] ♪
1:21 am
hydration... ...where you least expect it. schick hydro. now with shave oils, the hydrating gel works with skin guards to reduce friction, stroke after stroke. our best shave for your skin. schick hydro. free your skin. [rich&r block tax pro. me richard. did you file your taxes with someone else last year? if so,come into block and pay us half,what you paid them.
1:22 am
that's right.half.50% less. come in here and get your money. what are you waiting for? it's refund season-get your billions back,america! ♪ ♪ the nissan rogue, with safety shield technologies. the only thing left to fear is your imagination. now get 0% financing or up to $1,000 back on the 2015 nissan rogue. nissan. innovation that excites. introducing... a pm pain reliever that dares to work all the way until... the am. new aleve pm
1:23 am
the only one to combine a safe sleep aid plus the 12 hour strength of aleve. ♪ ♪
1:24 am
check out my breakfast! i got eggs... sausage... ham... bacon... cheese... and toasted sourdough bread. uh, mine's easier. mmm.(eating sounds) do you know that guy? get a load of jack's loaded breakfast sandwich. what's on it? what's not on it? two freshly cracked eggs, ham, sausage, bacon, and cheese
1:25 am
all on toasty sourdough made just for you. it's like a big ol' breakfast buffet right in your hand. ♪ [ cheers and applause ]
1:26 am
>> seth: our next guest is one of the most iconic fashion designers working today. she just showed her fall 2015 collection at new york fashion week. please welcome to the show one of my favorite people, carolina herrera. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ >> seth: hello, it's so lovely to have you here. >> i'm so happy to be here. >> seth: as always, you look beautiful. i'm not surprised. >> that's why i want to come here every night. >> seth: yes, of course. show it off every night. now, i want to talk about this because you were such an integral part of my life. you designed my wife's wedding dress. and that is always an important thing for a woman. but, my wife needed it. i've talked about it on the show before. this is a photo of my wife the morning of our wedding day. she got food poisoning. here she is in the emergency room. [ audience ohs ] i hope you're ahhing for me. i had to marry this woman. [ laughter ]
1:27 am
now, i just want to show the transformative power of fashion. because here she is just a few hours later. >> later. >> seth: thanks to you and this beautiful dress. look at that. >> she looks devine. [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: she looks amazing. now -- yes, go ahead? >> no, because you know what i was very easy to design for alexi. >> seth: okay. you don't have to say that. >> you don't have to listen. >> seth: okay. [ laughter ] >> you have to listen. because you know. >> seth: yes. >> when she asked me, she knew exactly what she wanted. >> seth: that i know to be true. [ laughter ] >> then she say, my mother and my sister is going to come, and my bridesmaids, and all my friends. >> seth: yes, we have a photo of the bridesmaids. you did an amazing shot with them. >> when they started arriving, i say, i can't believe it. this is not a wedding, this is a fashion show. >> seth: yes. >> they look so beautiful. >> seth: they were beautiful ladies. and it's the first day i didn't see all of them fight. [ laughter ] they felt so good being in your clothes that just for one day they --
1:28 am
>> and your mother in -- >> seth: what? >> your mother-in-law is beautiful. >> seth: yes, oh my god, absolutely charming. >> so the whole family. it's very easy. i wish i had all these families. >> seth: when you do wedding dresses, i assume sometimes not easy, mostly because of the stress of a bride getting ready for her wedding day. >> it's always stressful because it's the most important day in the life of a woman. they usually come -- they should come alone. so they come with friends, with a grandfather, with a grandmother, with a friend who hates her but she doesn't know. [ laughter ] >> seth: that's the wrong one to bring. >> that's the wrong one to bring. and they just say, she's looking absolutely fabulous. this person say, i don't think that's for you. [ laughter ] so she listens to him. >> seth: oh, no. and what about mothers? i imagine having mothers in the room must be one of the hardest. >> mothers are also a bit difficult because the mothers want to be the bride, sometimes. >> seth: right, yes. sometimes, sure, yeah. >> and they want the girls to wear whatever they would like to wear. >> seth: and you designed a
1:29 am
dress for caroline kennedy. >> yes. >> seth: and so you had jackie in the room. >> no. >> seth: she wasn't, oh, she didn't? >> never. jackie was so intelligent in that way. when she called me, she said, "caroline is getting married and i need you to see her." she saw the dress finished. >> seth: okay. >> it was only caroline's decision. it was exactly what she wanted to wear. and that's the way it should be. >> seth: yes. and why do you think she was so smart to do that? >> i tell you why, because she told me, jackie told me that when she got married she had a dress that she hated. and she had to wear it because her mother told her to wear it. and she was miserable that day. she said, that's not going to happen to my daughter. >> seth: well, that's wonderful. >> i think that's a very intelligent way of doing it. >> seth: you did another important wedding dress, albeit it a fictional wedding dress, a real dress, a fictional bride. because you did kristen stewart's dress for the wedding in "twilight". >> yes. >> seth: now, i imagine this had some high stakes. did you watch the films? were you familiar with it?
1:30 am
>> i read one book. [ laughter ] >> seth: you read one book. well, i think you probably got it. [ laughter ] >> i read one book one day when they approached me to design the wedding. i thought it was very exciting. >> seth: yeah. >> because it was quite different and to marry a vampire is not very normal, no? >> seth: right. [ laughter ] and you don't want him to hate the dress. >> no, and on top of that, it was very romantic and the whole place was incredible, and she looked beautiful. >> seth: yeah. >> and she was very moved by the whole thing. >> seth: yeah, i believe it. well, especially with people who play the same role for that long, you know, it probably does feel like, you know. >> yes, and when we were doing fittings, she had tears in her eyes because she loved it. >> seth: well, i will say, i mean, my wife, what she always said about going to fittings with you, she felt so taken care of. i mean, i guess that's what you need to do is just, you have to take a bride out of their head completely and they can do that when they trust the person who's doing their dress. >> absolutely.
1:31 am
but some brides, like your wife, is fantastic because she knew exactly what she wanted. so that makes my life easier. >> seth: yeah, i believe it. >> not trying to convince her. >> seth: something that from the outside doesn't look like it would make your life easy is new york fashion week, which just is going on right now. and you've been doing this since 1981? >> '81. >> seth: amazing. so, that was your first show. i have to imagine new york fashion week wasn't always what it's like now. how has it changed? >> no, it wasn't like that because it was much more smaller. and there were no spectacles there are now. it's so huge everywhere. it's everywhere. it's not only in new york. that sometimes they forget about the clothes. >> seth: yeah. >> so, they go up to see the spectacle and the clothes, they're secondary. >> seth: well, because you go to fashion shows now and they're half rock shows and there's you know -- >> they have everything. >> seth: yeah. >> they have -- it's like a circus. >> seth: yeah. [ laughter ] and what was it back in the day? did people rent out huge spaces? >> no, it was quiet.
1:32 am
quieter. >> seth: yeah. >> and music always, but not like this. >> seth: right. >> and before, years ago, they didn't even have music. the models came in with a number in their hand or the name of the dress and it was quite civilized. >> seth: yeah. >> now it's like going -- [ laughter ] >> seth: even just watching people get to their seats, it's mayhem. >> absolutely. and they never want to sit. >> seth: yeah. >> i always say, i'm going to have a show one day and everybody has to be standing, because the only thing like is to talk to each other. >> seth: right. >> you know, before they sit. >> seth: mm-hmm. >> so it's better not to have seat. >> seth: you have this image of fashion week, everybody running around like a chicken with their head cut off. i've only seen you being calm. are you calm on days of your show? >> i am very calm outside. >> seth: yes. >> but my stomach is full of butterflies. i'm afraid to open my mouth because i think the butterflies are going to roll out. [ laughter ] >> seth: i will say, as fashion shows move more towards spectacle, it would be great if you opened your mouth and butterflies came out. [ laughter ]
1:33 am
>> well, you know what happened, when i see people in my team that are very nervous in the backstage. and they are, like, running from one place to another. and i'm going in there. why are you so nervous? we're only making dresses. and if it doesn't work, we'll make another one. we're not inventing anything. >> seth: right. >> and they calm down. >> seth: and do people -- because i would assume that one thing, because it is such a trend industry -- over the course of fashion week, do you feel like there are designers who are trying to sort of take the temperature of what the new trend is and change their show as it gets closer? is that something you do? >> no, no. it doesn't happen to me. because i try to do it -- my same idea from the beginning. because if you start changing, then that show becomes a potpourri. >> seth: yeah. >> you know? >> seth: mm-hmm. >> mixed, many things. >> seth: a potpourri. >> yes. >> seth: the way you said that makes that my new favorite word. a potpourri. >> a potpourri. >> seth: yes, there you go. [ laughter ] well, i hope you never change. thank you so much for being here. this has been nice. carolina herrera, everybody. we'll be right back with more
1:34 am
"late night". [ cheers and applause ] ♪ female announcer: through sunday, save up to $300
1:35 am
on beautyrest and posturepedic. even get three years interest-free financing on tempur-pedic. and of course, free same-day delivery. but hurry! sleep train's presidents' day sale ends sunday.
1:36 am
[ cheers and applause ] >> seth: my thanks to zachary quinto, mae whitman! carolina herrera, everyone! and, of course, the 8g band. stay tuned for carson daly. we'll see you tomorrow. [ cheers and applause ] ♪
1:37 am
♪ >> carson: hey what's up everybody? i'm carson daly and you have tuned in to "last call" from the lovely skylark. tonight hundred waters performs from the el ray. and "trainspotting" author irvins welsh is hereo talk about his latest work. first mike epps is up. he's a great comic actor who's current project is a man on the street series that tackles the subject of race and comedy head on. it's called "that's racist" and it's the subject of the "last call" spotlight. from the federal bar, take a look. ♪

15 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on