Skip to main content

tv   Late Night With Seth Meyers  NBC  December 13, 2016 12:37am-1:38am PST

12:37 am
[ cheers and applause ] ♪ >> announcer: from 30 rockefeller plaza in new york, it's "late night with seth meyers." tonight julie chen, from "scream queens" actress billie lourd, best selling author and "new york times" columnist maureen dowd, featuring the 8g band with dave lombardo. ♪ [ cheers and applause ] ladies and gentlemen, seth meyers. >> seth: good evening, i'm seth meyers, this is "late night." how is everybody doing tonight? [ cheers and applause ] doing well? fantastic. always nice when people are in a good mood on a monday. let's get to the news. organizers have announced that donald trump will attend 2 inaugural balls during his first week in office. one in washington d.c. and then of course the real one in moscow. [ light laughter ]
12:38 am
the cia concluded this weekend that russia mounted an operation to influence the election, and help donald trump win which was exactly when trump realized he has been pronouncing cia wrong. >> ladies and gentlemen, sia. >> seth: cia? [ laughter and applause ] it's not a word. china reportedly flew a nuclear bomber over the south china sea near taiwan in what is being viewed as a show of force against donald trump. but that's not how you get to him china. this is how you get to him. [ laughter and applause ] senate minority leader harry reid recently said in an interview that donald trump is "not as bad as i thought he would be." geez buddy, how low were your expectations? [ light laughter ] harry reid is the guy that gets a rat in his bucket at kfc and
12:39 am
says well, they're trying their best. [ light laughter ] it is extra crispy. hillary clinton gave a speech last week criticizing the epidemic of fake news being spread, or maybe she didn't. [ light laughter ] wisconsin has finished its recount with donald trump beating hillary clinton by 162 more votes than his original total. and i'm not saying that russia had anything to do with that but here's a photo putin from earlier today. [ laughter and applause ] china -- it's a good look. china's highest court ruled last week that michael jordan owns the rights to his name in chinese characters. "i thought that meant bravery," said a girl with a lower back tattoo. [ light laughter ] plastic surgeons have reportedly begun offering botox treatments for the testicles called scrotox.
12:40 am
[ light laughter ] just check out the after picture for this rejuvenated pair. [ laughter and applause ] qantas airlines is set to launch a new 17 ½ hour flight from australia to london, which will be the longest non-stop route in the world. beating the current record, a road trip with your dad. no, we're not stopping. use the jug! [ light laughter ] that's what the jug's for. and finally a sex shop in spain is facing criticism after making a nativity scene using ceramic dildos. though people are mainly upset they took two of the dildos from the menorah. [ light laughter ] ladies and gentlemen, we have a great show for you tonight. [ cheers and applause ] she is the host and moderator of "the talk" on cbs, julie chen is with us this evening. [ cheers and applause ]
12:41 am
you know her from "scream queens" on fox, billie lourd is stopping by. [ cheers and applause ] and, she is a "new york times" columnist, and best selling author. her latest book, "the year of voting dangerously: the derangement of american politics" is out now, maureen dowd is stopping by the show. [ cheers and applause ] very excited about this. so on thursday, we made -- we did a piece, and in the piece i made fun of donald trump for his pronunciation of the word "euphemism." take a look. >> and then they played my statement and i said "carrier will never leave," but that was a euphenism. >> seth: a euphanism? [ light laughter ] i'm not sure that's how you promounce that. [ light laughter ] that's right, because if you say a word wrong, i'm going to come down on you. i am sitting up on high, and i am watching and i am listening.
12:42 am
but, what really undercut me, was the very next word i said i mispronounced and that word was also -- >> seth: a euphanism? i'm not sure that's how you promounce that. [ light laughter ] alfo what you said, was not a euphemism. alfo. [ light laughter ] i take a guy down for getting euphemism wrong, and then i miss the two inch putt that is "also." i'm such a dickhead. [ applause ] let me clean my monocle, i believe the pronunciation is euphemism. alfo. [ light laughter ] but, of course donald trump doesn't just mispronounce words. according to a new report, the cia has concluded that the russian government intervened in the 2016 election. not just to undermine confidence
12:43 am
in the result, but specifically to help donald trump win. for more on this it's time for "a closer look." ♪ [ applause ] >> seth: if you're a president elect who has faced persistent questions throughout your campaign about your close ties to a foreign adversary, one easy way to show patriotism, would be to attend the annual army-navy game. which is what trump did on saturday. but in an interview during the game, he could not suppress his inner twitter troll, offering this snarky comment. >> i just love the armed forces. love the folks. their spirit is so incredible. i mean, i don't know if it's necessarily the best football, but it's very good. >> seth: what is wrong with you? [ light laughter ] you're the president elect and you're dissing the army-navy game? i guess he thought it was going to be the actual army against the actual navy. [ light laughter ] this is so boring. no weapons. hardly any causalities. not a single sunk battleship. [ light laughter ] of course on any normal weekend that comment might have caused a
12:44 am
dust up. but it was overshadowed just slightly by the small matter of the cia accusing a foreign adversary of interfering in a presidential election to help one candidate win. >> breaking news tonight, "the washington post" is now reporting that a secret cia report concluded, quote, "that russia intervened in the 2016 election to help donald trump win the presidency." >> the cia believes the russian government tried to help elect donald trump. releasing hacked democratic campaign e-mails. >> the top intelligence official tells abc that both democrats and republicans were targeted. but that only hack from the dnc was made public. >> seth: so, they only released the democrats e-mails not the republicans. although to be fair, what could possibly be in the republican e-mails that was more embarrassing than what their candidate was saying out loud in public? [ light laughter ] donald trump is a hacked e-mail come to life. did you hear? donald trump made fun of the disabled. in a private e-mail? no, into a microphone in an arena.
12:45 am
[ laughter and applause ] now the republican national committee claims it was not hacked so there is some dispute about that. still you might expect an incoming president to take seriously the findings of the intelligence agencies that he'll need to rely on as president. instead trump's team slammed the cia in a statement that i think is fair to assume, came directly from him. "these are the same people that said saddam hussein had weapons of massive destruction. the election ended a long time ago in one of the biggest electoral college victories in history. it's now time to move on, and make america great again." first of all it was not one of the biggest electoral college victories in history. it actually ranks 46th out of 58 presidential elections. to put that in sunday cable tv rating terms, trump's is not "the walking dead," he's "the barefoot contessa." [ light laughter ] second, what do you mean the election ended a long time ago? you mean five weeks ago? put it this way, the cubs world series win was recent, their
12:46 am
previous world series win was a long time ago. [ laughter and applause ] of course this isn't -- this is not the first time trump has openly rejected the findings of the intelligence community. both during, and after the campaign, he has repeatedly sought to downplay the possible role of russia in the hacks. suggesting alternate theories for who might have been behind them. >> i mean, it could be russia. but it could also be china. it could also be lots of other people, it also could be somebody sitting on their bed, that weighs 400 pounds, okay? >> on tuesday he told "time" magazine, that quote, "i don't believe they interfered. it could be russia, it could be china, and it could be some guy at his home in new jersey." >> seth: a 400 pound guy at his home in new jersey? is he actively trying to frame chris christie? [ laughter and applause ] [ as trump ] it was a big guy from new jersey. he may or may not be standing right behind me. [ light laughter ] now, it's always important to take anonymous claims from intelligence officials with a
12:47 am
giant grain of salt. that's why we need a full investigation, and all the evidence public. but even before that happens, trump has repeatedly rejected the intelligence community's findings, despite being told in his own intelligence briefings that russia very likely committed the dnc hack. and not only has trump refused to believe the information presented to him in his briefings, he's not even taking those briefings that often. cnn reported that trump is taking intelligence briefings only once a week. trump defended himself on an interview on "fox news sunday." >> you are getting the presidential daily brief only once a week. >> well i get it when i need it. >> but, is there some skepticism? >> first of all these are very good people that are giving me the briefings. and i say, if something should change from this point, immediately call me i'm available on one minute's notice. i don't have to be told, you know i'm like, a smart person. >> seth: here's the thing about smart people. they don't go around telling people they're smart. for instance you've never heard this.
12:48 am
>> i'm like, a smart person. [ light laughter ] >> seth: also i'm like, a smart person is a sentence that disproves itself. it's like getting a back tattoo that says, "i make good decisions." [ light laughter ] still to be fair to trump the president elect does have a busy schedule and i'm sure he's spending his time on things way more important than daily intelligence briefings. >> who wants a hat? [ cheers ] >> seth: so he's not taking intelligence briefings, but he is giving away free hats. hey, man, you're the president elect and not the phoenix suns gorilla. [ light laughter ] again, skepticism of anonymous claims from intelligence officials can be healthy, which is why we need a full investigation and the results need to be made public. because right now trump, his spokespeople in the media, can't even agree on basic facts. which at the very least has given us some fantastic new entries on a hit album "now that's what i call white guys screaming at each other on the news." >> we have been working with the fbi. >> why? >> we have intelligence experts here. >> let me ask you. >> go ahead.
12:49 am
>> no, hang on, chuck. do you categorically rule -- >> number one, cover that. >> my question about the rnc. >> tell me a specific -- >> i'm not trying to parse it. i don't know who did the hacking, chuck. >> president elect trump is saying, move on, folks. there's nothing to see here but i need to ask you an additional question. >> no. >> speak to the point that -- wait, wait. >> that's not true! michael. >> i want you to address this. >> i don't think any foreign entity, any individual, any entity -- >> well why don't you say that? and why didn't trump say that. >> i'm saying it, michael! i just said it! [ laughter ] >> i'm just an american who's trying to discern all that i'm reporting on -- >> no! then answer the question, michael! >> seth: answer the question, michael! no, you answer the question. what was the question? i don't remember! [ light laughter ] what the question was. of course, trump could easily reassure critics who's saying he's too close to russia, by denouncing russian influence in the election. but as he has repeatedly made clear he has a bizarre affection for vladimir putin, and his apparent choice for secretary of state isn't helping. over the weekend, it was reported that trump had settled on exxon mobil ceo rex tillerson.
12:50 am
of course, with a name like rex tillerson, you can only be one of two things. ceo of a multi-national oil conglomerate, or a jack russell terrier who solves crimes. [ light laughter ] [ bark ] what's that rex? [ bark ] there was a lunar eclipse that night? the mayor's lying. [ light laughter ] trump tweeted about the possible nomination on sunday quote, "whether i choose him or not for state rex tillerson, the chairman and ceo of exxon mobil, is a world class player and deal maker stay tuned." stop telling us to stay tuned. your president elect for the next four years. like it or not, we're all [ bleep ] tuned. [ laughter and applause ] you're going to be the first president, who has commercial breaks in his state of the union. [ as trump ] and we'll have more on the heightening tensions with china, right after this message, from our sponsor, ivanka, trump hotels. [ light laughter ] i have no connection to them. now, tillerson's nomination would be problematic for a number reasons.
12:51 am
among them the fact that our foreign policy could be, in effect, run by exxon mobile, a company that has been accused of covering up evidence of climate change. but, on top of that, tillerson, has close ties to putin. who gave tillerson, the russian order of friendship medal in 2013 even republicans have expressed concerns about tillerson's ties to russia. like senator lindsey graham, who promised to question tillerson at his confirmation hearing. >> senator lindsey graham told "the washington post," "i don't know the man much at all, but let's put it this way, if you received an award from the kremlin, order of friendship, then we're going to have some talking." >> seth: that's right, sassafras. you better park your biscuits in that chair because we're going to have some southern fried talking. [ light laughter ] we're about to enter a potentially dangerous period. a president with a weird affinity for authoritarians and dictators appointing plutocrats to his cabinet and fighting with america's own intelligence agencies. i don't see how trump can get away with all of this. unless he finds a way to distract us all for the next four years. >> who wants a hat? [ light laughter ]
12:52 am
>> seth: this has been a closer look. ♪ [ cheers and applause ] we'll be right back with julie chen, everybody. ♪
12:53 am
come on! why doesn't verizon offer unlimited data like t-mobile? is it because their lte network was built six years ago? six years ago? that's like a hundred... in phone years! their lte network is older, slower and they limit you. switch to t-mobile, the newer, faster and unlimited network. we cover 99% of the americans verizon covers. switch your family of four to t-mobile and we'll give you $800 to spend anywhere you want.
12:54 am
just how wet and sticky your current gel antiperspirant is. now we're going to show you how degree dry spray is different. degree dry spray. degree. it won't let you down.
12:55 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back to "late night" everybody. please give it up for the 8g band right over there. [ cheers and applause ]
12:56 am
also, we're joined this week by an iconic drummer sitting in with the 8g band. he's a two time grammy winner and co-founder of metal icon slayer and currently a member of suicidal tendencies who's album "world gone mad" is out now. dave lombardo is here everybody. [ cheers and applause ] thank you so much for being here dave. >> thank you, seth. >> seth: and incredibly good timing for an album called "world gone mad." our first guest co-hosts the emmy award winning show "the talk" which airs weekdays at 2:00 p.m.. please welcome to the show julie chen everybody. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ >> seth: hi there. >> thanks for having me. this feels very strange. >> seth: oh, why is it strange? >> well because i've spent most of my career, if not all of it, at cbs. >> seth: yeah. >> and this is obviously on the competing network. >> seth: there you go and guess
12:57 am
what? this whole thing's a trap. [ laughter ] >> i'm ready for you. >> seth: it's a trap. >> i feel like, and i'm used to interviewing people. >> seth: yeah. >> and not being the one interviewed. so i feel like i'd be more -- like my heart is racing. >> seth: really? >> and i do live television every day. i feel like, i would be more comfortable if you switched seats with me. >> seth: do you want to switch seats? >> yeah, but the lighting director's gonna get mad. because you look so good, and they'll be like, "no, why did you let her switch seats?" >> seth: well look, if at any point you do want to switch seats, okay great. >> no, that's your seat. >> seth: because, this is my best light. when i switch i look like a 100-year-old woman. yeah. >> i'm sure you don't. >> seth: it's true, it like -- there's a lot that has to go right for this to happen. >> yeah. >> seth: speaking of something that would have had my heart beating you have been the host of big brother for 16 seasons. >> it's been on 18. >> seth: 18 seasons. that's unbelievable. >> yeah. >> seth: congratulations. >> thank you and renewed for next summer, our 19th. >> oh, congratulations, it's 19. >> yeah. >> seth: i hope you make 20. it would be a real bummer if you got cancelled after 19. >> wouldn't it? i know -- >> seth: because you'd really -- don't take this the wrong way. you'd have to stink for them not to give you 20. >> i know.
12:58 am
>> seth: to get that close, and then say like, "you were not gonna do it." >> you were good for 19, but things went sour. yeah, no. gosh, i hope i'm getting it right. >> seth: i think -- well i hope so too. but you had to -- >> maybe your research department is better. >> seth: i don't know. >> sorry, go ahead. >> seth: probably not. you this summer you had people sort of cut themselves off from the world and from the news in september. and you actually had to be the one to told them the election results. >> yes. >> seth: and that is not usually something that you do with the show. to break in with news. >> right, the main rule is, in the "big brother" house, you're completely cutoff from the outside world. >> seth: right. >> and you're living among strangers. there were only six people left in the big brother house when the election happened and we broke the big rule. we said -- they, the producers, came to me and they said, "we want you to reveal the results of the election." because they wanted conversation, they want to see the reaction. >> seth: of course. >> so literally -- and i tape on thursdays. so they were probably, literally
12:59 am
the last six people. >> seth: yeah. >> in the entire universe to know -- >> seth: exactly. >> who won the presidential election of the united states. >> seth: was it so -- was it nice just to look at their faces before you told them and say, "this is the last fresh snow in society before i tromp through it." >> i did feel like, "ooh, i can't wait." >> seth: now here's my question. if the election had gone the other way you probably would not have broken in and told them. >> actually, i think we probably would have just because we're always looking for story -- >> seth: sure. >> and content, you know, and it would be interesting to see everyone's reaction. whether they were rejoicing, or but i noticed when i told them about trump, not only were they shocked. but the smarter house guests stayed quiet because they knew that they're on the internet and no matter what comes out of their mouth they're automatically going to piss off half the country. >> seth: yeah. >> so they were just like, "oh, really? oh, oh." >> seth: was there -- did you get the sense, that once they
1:00 am
found out, trump was president, they were trying even harder to stay in the house. >> you are naughty. >> seth: no, i'm just saying. >> you are -- >> seth: maybe -- >> how did you get trump to do that bit. sia? >> seth: sia? that was from when he hosted "saturday night live." >> oh. >> seth: i didn't get him -- how did i get him to do it? i called him up. >> oh, no. because -- >> seth: i said, "we have a really funny joke. i know there's an animosity between us. it's a killer." [ kiss sound ] you're gonna love it. >> i was going to say, you know, the guy has a sense of humor. because you go at him, every night. >> seth: oh yeah, by the way. he doesn't. [ laughter and applause ] he's funny. i find him funny to watch. i don't think he has what you would define, "a sense of humor." i think he's funny. i do, i will give him that. there are times where i laugh and go, "oh, that's pretty funny." so i wanna -- well you used to cover politics and you used to do morning news. >> yes. >> seth: and now with doing your current job is it nice at this current time, to be a little outside of talking about the day-to-day of it all? >> it really is.
1:01 am
you know, i have run into my old colleagues at "cbs news." and we like to gossip and i'm like, "wow you're going to have a really interesting four years. you could probably write a book." >> seth: sure. >> this is actually a very exciting time to cover the news. >> seth: i agree. >> but it could be very stressful. and i feel fortunate that at "the talk" when we want to talk about politics we can and we do. but we have been tasked with never letting the audience know what our politics are. we can talk about what donald trump tweeted and react to it but we can't totally show everyone how we voted or who we supported. >> seth: that's our plan here. [ laughter ] >> which is not easy. yeah. [ applause ] i'm ready, let's go, let's go. and then anytime it gets a little uncomfortable we can just take a big sigh of relief and say, "now let's get back to what we do with 'the talk.'" >> seth: there you go. >> and talk about the kardashians, you know, stuff that really matters.
1:02 am
>> seth: what i do, we are in an interesting time in american history. we say, "that's too crazy. let's go back to the kardashians." >> or justin bieber. >> seth: or justin bieber. >> he's given us a lot of good stuff. >> seth: you have -- we were talking backstage you have a 7-year-old. is that correct? >> yes. first grader. >> seth: and you -- congratulations and you are celebrating an early christmas. >> yes. >> seth: his idea, your idea? >> my idea because we're actually going to be traveling -- >> seth: sure. >> on christmas day and like you know when you're traveling who wants to have pack one more thing? >> seth: right. >> so, i didn't want it -- >> seth: and a 7-year-old that's a lot of presents. that's an age where you've gotta have stuff for someone. >> yeah, you know books, toys, stuff like that. >> seth: so how did you sell him on an early christmas? >> so i said -- well first of all i, personally, i was really concerned that santa wouldn't know where we are. >> seth: sure. >> so i said to charlie because we're traveling we're going to celebrate christmas early on sunday. we celebrated last night. >> seth: got you. >> and he didn't need to hear any reasoning.
1:03 am
he was just like, "i get to open presents early." >> seth: yeah. >> so i was like, "yes." but we had to write the letter to santa on saturday night. left it under the tree. carrots, cookies all that and santa is so clever. he wrote a letter back to charlie. >> seth: wow. >> yeah. he said, "you know charlie that was a long list you had. and you have been both naughty and nice so you you're not gonna everything on your list but you will get some things and because you're celebrating early santa needs time to work on this stuff." like he asked for, i mean the list was ridiculous. he wanted a record player, certain vinyl's, like "sweet child of mine," "appetite for destruction." >> seth: oh my goodness. >> "rebel yell." >> seth: he's 7. >> he's 7 but i have been teaching him songs from my heyday to be honest. >> seth: sure, right, right. >> he wanted a disco ball, like roller skates, a skateboard. it was just too much. so santa said, you know if you're good when you get back home we're working on the record
1:04 am
player and some of the vinyls, not all of them. but if your're bad and you don't listen to your parents. that won't be waiting for you when you get home. >> seth: so santa, had your back. >> santa is a -- santa is like the third parent in this marriage. >> seth: that's fantastic. >> we're very progressive. >> seth: yeah. >> i love santa. >> seth: i like, by the way -- in my life i never had such a back and forth with santa where i asked for things and he explained that some of them were unreasonable. and that other things needed more time. >> yeah, no. give it a try. >> seth: i will. >> i mean as an adult, i think i'm writing a letter to santa for next year. >> seth: and i -- the fact that santa did that even though you left out carrots is just so -- >> no carrots are for the reindeer. >> seth: for the reindeer? >> yes. >> seth: by the way, reindeer don't like carrots either. everybody likes cookies. >> there were two left. we left nine. >> seth: oh you were -- >> you're on to something. >> seth: so, i want to ask about this. i want to show a piece of tape from your show, from "the talk," and this is you doing a, quite a performance as "madonna."
1:05 am
before we show it, how much rehearsal did you do? because this is something else. >> it was exhausting. okay, so for halloween they said, the five ladies of the talk, have to pick - - it was lip sync battle. >> seth: right. >> so i had three scheduled days of rehearsal. like the studio -- the show booked out a rehearsal space, we had a choreography, had backup dancers. the whole nine. and they said, we'll give you more time, if you want. but i said, "no, no i got this." i had somebody record me, doing my rehearsal on my phone. and i would put it up in my bathroom and i was like, "5, 6, 7, 8." and it was ridiculous -- i would just practice and i found myself any time i walked past any mirror any reflection i would be walking down sunset boulevard and i'd see my reflection and i would be like, "5, 6, 7, 8. pivot, pivot." >> seth: well it paid off. >> i hope. >> seth: let's look at your incredible well rehearsed work. ♪ strike a pose ♪
1:06 am
[ cheers and applause ] >> seth: now, i hope you weren't wearing that outfit, when you were walking down sunset boulevard. >> no, thank good -- no i was not. >> seth: but, it was fantastic work by your costume department as well. you looked like a million dollars. >> although, okay if you're at home right now, google -- there was a movie in the 90s called "farewell by concubine." >> seth: sure. >> about chinese opera. at one point i looked at myself, i'm like, "oh my gosh. do i look like that guy who was in drag in 'farewell my concubine?'" but he was very -- you know, i mean his make up was on point so i was like it's okay if i do. >> seth: you put him to shame. >> thank you. >> seth: and thank you so much for being here. it's such a pleasure to have you. >> thanks, seth. >> seth: julie chen everybody, "the talk" airs weekdays at 2:00 p.m.. we'll be right back with billie lourd. [ cheers and applause ] ♪
1:07 am
♪ i got it, dad. ow! ♪ we love to keep them safe. so we made the nest protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarm. it speaks up and can alert your phone if there's a problem. or let you know if everything is just fine. because, ya know, we worry. ♪ at the lexus december to remember sales event. if you're going to wish, wish big get up to $2,500 customer cash on select 2016 and 2017 models for these terms. see your lexus dealer.
1:08 am
proof of less joint pain. and clearer skin. this is my body of proof that i can fight psoriatic arthritis with humira. humira works by targeting and helping to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to both joint and skin symptoms. it's proven to help relieve pain, stop further joint damage, and clear skin in many adults. humira is the number #1 prescribed biologic for psoriatic arthritis. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. want more proof? ask your rheumatologist about humira. humira. what's your body of proof?
1:09 am
now, kay jewelers bringsr c's of you...the newest c: chocolate. levian chocolate diamonds. only levian, masters of jewelry design for centuries... ...makes jewelry with rare chocolate diamonds. save up to 20% on select levian styles, with dazzling designs that she's sure to love. at kay, the number-one jewelry store... ...in america. levian chocolate diamonds... for the sweetest thing in your life.
1:10 am
♪ every kiss begins with kay. ♪ [ cheers and applause ] seth: welcome back, everybody. our next guest stars in the hit series "scream queens" which airs tuesday nights on fox.
1:11 am
let's take a look. >> there's something i need to confide in you. a secret no one knows. i've never had an orgasm. >> oh wow. >> i didn't even know what they were until recently. i thought they were just moans you did to let the other person know to roll off of you, like an, i'm ready for you to stop alarm. >> that's terrible. orgasms are pretty much the only thing that everyone in the world agrees are great. well until "hamilton" came along. [ laughter ] >> it's so original, right? >> reinvented the theater. >> seth: please welcome to the show billie lourd, everybody. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ >> seth: welcome to the show. >> thank you so much for having me. >> seth: i'm so happy to have you here.
1:12 am
for those who don't watch the show, the earmuffs you wear in the scene that is not just because you were cold in that scene. you wear the earmuffs constantly. that is what your character does. >> that is my thing. >> seth: and your mother is carrie fisher. and is it true? >> it's true. >> seth: did you not know? oh my god. we break news here. [ laughter ] >> okay, just gonna take that in for a second. >> seth: but your earmuffs are an homage, they're a princess leia homage. >> they are a little bit of a princess leia homage. >> seth: that's fantastic. >> it's kind of a family tradition. i saw them in the fitting and i was immediately gravitated towards them because i had to be. it didn't turn -- it didn't start out as a plot point. i just went into the fitting, saw them. >> seth: yes. >> you know, recognized my family heritage. >> seth: which is to have weird things over your ears. >> which is to have weird things over your ears and cover them all the time. and then brad falchuk, one of the writers of the show, wrote it into the show, like in the third episode. and it was because my ex boyfriend was so obsessed with my ears that he threatened to cut them off if he ever saw them again. so i had to hide them. >> seth: so you're protecting.
1:13 am
you're wearing the earmuffs as protection. >> of course. yes. 100%. >> seth: as an actress how is it wearing earmuffs all day on set? >> it can get tough. >> seth: yeah. >> it's kind of like being a wrestler and having your head smushed into the floor all the time. >> seth: so not great. >> so not ideal. >> seth: yeah. >> or like -- not everybody is a wrestler. so, it's also like wearing head phones on a plane for a really long time. >> seth: yeah. >> and it kind of hurts and you have to like pull at your ears and they make that weird cracking sound. >> seth: oh, that's not good. >> that's like a big part of my life. >> seth: but overall your hearing is pretty consistent? >> what? [ laughter ] >> seth: so ryan murphy created this show and sort of the process where you got cast as this character was not sort of conventional. you were just talking to him. >> definitely not conventional. i went to one of my dad's friends birthday parties and happened to be sat next to ryan. and we had a few too many glasses of wine and started exchanging stories about sex that i can't tell on the air obviously. >> seth: got you. >> sorry. >> seth: but hopefully tell me
1:14 am
backstage and i then i'll tell everybody tomorrow. >> exactly. yeah. [ light laughter ] exactly. good plan. and then basically he pointed at me at one point and was like you're number three. and i was like, who the hell is that. he's like, come into my office later this week. and i came in and i read with him and ended up in new orleans a couple weeks later playing this insane character. >> seth: that's fantastic. >> yeah. >> seth: so i think the take away is if you're ever at a dinner party, drink wine and tell people sex stories. >> absolutely. that's my motto. >> seth: that is the key to success. speaking of mottos, obviously your mother -- a famous actress. your grandmother debbie reynolds also a famous actress. and has she -- she actually has given you real advice about being an actress. >> she's given me -- well first of all she gets really upset when i get called carrie fisher's daughter. she wants people to call me debbie reynold's granddaughter. >> seth: got you. >> it's very offensive for her. >> seth: oh, she doesn't like to be cut out of the supply chain. >> she does not like to be cut out -- yeah, not at all. she started it. >> seth: oh, yeah. exactly. >> so it's her fault. so when i first starting acting, everyone in my family did not want me to act. it was like, i'm really rebelling by doing this. and she called me down to her
1:15 am
house and had a binder of these diaries that she had written when she first started doing "singing in the rain." and she sat me down on her couch and said, okay, i need you read these dear, in her 50s actress voice. and i started reading them to myself and she said, no dear. please read them out loud. and i started reading them and they're all second person and they are somewhere along the lines of just sitting in the make up chair. it's 5:00 in the morning. they've pulled all your eyebrows and you have no eyelashes left. your hair is a shell of itself and all you wanted to be was a gym teacher. [ laughter ] so i read this out loud and kind of looked at her like, okay. and she looked at me so earnestly with her, like, hands crossed in her lap and it was like, are you sure you still want to be an actress dear? and i was like, yeah, i think i -- i think it's different now. i think i'm gonna be able to keep my eyebrows. i don't think they're gonna put a wig on me. i got, like, long hair. it's like, fine. so i'm gonna go for it. >> seth: i like that she thought you would close the diary and say no. i want to be a gym teacher.
1:16 am
>> now, i want to be a gym teacher. [ laughter ] >> seth: you would of finally -- >> they get to keep their eyebrows. that sounds like the dream career. >> seth: now obviously from the clip, as we saw, this might not be a show that you would think is grandmother friendly. but she is a fan of "scream queens." >> she is a huge fan. i mean she's a fan of anything that involves a lot of fur. she's real -- >> seth: oh, gotcha. >> she misses that in film and tv. so the fact that we're all clad in fur earmuffs and fur jackets, it's her dream show. >> seth: well there you go. i'm so glad that's it's fulfilling her dream. and i'm sure she's incredibly happy to get to watch you doing it as well. >> she is. >> seth: thank you for being here. it's such a pleasure. >> yeah, of course. thank you so much for having me. >> seth: billie lourd everybody. "scream queens" airs tuesday nights on fox. we'll be right back with maureen dowd. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ [burke] at farmers, we've seen almost everything, so we know how to cover almost anything. even a rodent ride-along. [dad] alright, buddy, don't forget anything! [kid] i won't, dad... [captain rod] happy tuesday morning! captain rod here. it's pretty hairy out on the interstate.traffic is
1:17 am
literally crawling, but there is some movement on the eastside overpass. getting word of another collision. [burke] it happened. december 14th, 2015. and we covered it. talk to farmers. we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two. ♪ we are farmers. bum-pa-dum, bum-bum-bum-bum ♪ [ nualmost... there...tal ] hmmmm... save ten when you spend fifty on toys at target. you guys rock! yeah!... whoaaa!
1:18 am
and let roomba from irobot help with your everyday messes. roomba navigates your entire home. cleaning up pet hair and debris for up to 2 hours. which means your floors are always clean. you and roomba, from irobot. better. together. i'and thanks to target, i got to the after party - this nice little outfit just in time using order pickup. stay fresh! get last minute gifts with order pickup at target. ♪
1:19 am
♪ whoa, papa ♪ run, run, run, run, running ♪ run, run, run, run, running ♪ there's nothing in this life that's ever bringing me down ♪ ♪ she said don't you ever ♪ ever, ever ♪ run, run, run, run, running ♪ whoa, papa, run transition team say he's picked exxon mobil ceo rex tillerson as secretary of state. he will make the announcement later this morning. =add= a former jetblue airways flight attendant who tried to smuggle nearly 60 pounds of cocaine in her carry-on luggage pleaded guilty today. the one time miss jamaica contestant allegedly left behind the drugs at l-a-x and fled during a random search.
1:20 am
1:21 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back, everybody. our next guest is a pulitzer prize winning columnist for "the new york times" and a best selling author. her new book "the year of voting dangerously and the derangement of american politics" is in stores now. please welcome to the show maureen dowd. ♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: so happy you're here. how are you, maureen? >> i'm so nervous. >> seth: you're so nervous? but you interview people all the time. why are you nervous by being interviewed? >> i just think tv is really scary. >> seth: yeah. it is really scary. it's super weird and it's super scary. but this is a fantastically timed book about not just this election but all of your reporting about politics over
1:22 am
the years. and you have a long history with donald trump who is someone you write about at length in this book. you go back to old interviews. tell us about your first interaction with him. i guess it was in the 80s. >> right. so in 1988 i met him for the first time. i was covering the republican convention and i asked him if he wanted to have coffee one morning. he was attending and i said, how is your day going? and he goes great. i bought the plaza hotel this morning. and that was a typical trump conversation. >> seth: yeah. >> yeah. >> seth: that's a very hard thing to -- when someone tells you that's what they did today you must instantly feel like, oh i'm off to a terrible start. >> right, i know. [ laughter ] yeah, all i did was have yogurt. [ laughter ] >> seth: well obviously we talked about it today on the show about russia and whether or not they had an influence in this election. you mentioned that donald trump also has a history with russia that also stretches back to the 1980s. >> right.
1:23 am
mikhail gorbachev came here for the first time in '87 and he met with a bunch of business leaders including trump. so i called trump, and he said, you know before he went into the meeting with gorbachev, he was like, we have to be really wary and suspicious of russia. and then he went in and met gorbachev and gorbachev said, we love trump tower. come build one like that in moscow. and trump is like i love mikhail gorbachev. he's the best. [ laughter ] i love russia. so i think that set a template for what's happened with putin and the russians ever since because putin -- trump thought putin gave him a compliment where he said he's brilliant. but it turned out to be a mistranslation. >> seth: right. it meant bright, right? or like to create colorful body. >> colorful body. >> seth: colorful. >> or gawdy. >> seth: oh, right. okay. >> so, trump has forced the republicans to change their whole stance towards the evil empire based on a
1:24 am
mistranslation. one compliment. >> seth: at least it's not affecting all of us. >> no. [ laughter ] >> seth: but you all sort of make this argument that donald trump is very susceptible to compliment. and he is also very susceptible, in your opinion, to the last person he's talked to. >> right. >> seth: and so that's effecting the way people would deal with him. >> right. that's why his staff, jockeys, to get the last appointment of the day. because the last person who talks to him has a lot of sway. and you know he over flatters people and he likes to be over flattered. because basically he doesn't -- his ideology is his ego. so, you know, everybody in washington from president obama to mitch mcconnell is trying to flatter him. he's almost like a host body and they think they can change his mind or pour their agenda in with some flattery. and that worked with putin. >> seth: yeah. do you -- you also talked,
1:25 am
because we, i think we all remember that you sort of talked about running in 2012, but he has fainted towards the presidency before including 2000. and you write about this as well and what he thought made him a good candidate then. >> well, yeah i went out with him when he was dating melania. we went to cuba so he could test the waters in '99. and he gave a speech and, you know, he saw his first trump for president sign and sort of skittered away. he was very shy about it and so afterwards i asked him what makes you think people would vote for you? and he said well, i get really big ratings on larry king and a lot of guys hit on melania. so it was this kind of ego arithmetic of toting out the numbers that were good for him which is exactly what he did all the way through this campaign.
1:26 am
>> seth: and so are you -- how are you with wrapping your head around the fact, because he was -- his arithmetic was right. and i think for, i wouldn't -- i dane to guess on the melania part, but this idea of ratings. he was right about how people vote and how people think. and are you surprised, with your history, that he understood the electorate better than maybe people who are more on the inside? >> yes. it is surprising in that president obama, who got elected in this amazing, exciting, thrilling race in 2008 misread the electorate so badly. >> seth: i want to ask about this as well. very famously. he had been very difficult or hard i should say, on "the new york times" throughout this election. he's been hard on them since. but donald trump did -- president-elect donald trump came to "the new york times" to basically do a q and a with the staff there. and he sort of called you out. is that accurate to say that he was not polite? >> yes. he stopped them, well he was --
1:27 am
he was telling our publisher and the reporters that if they had any questions they could call him. feel free to call him. and then he goes, except maureen. she can't call me because she's been very, very, very rough on me. and the publisher turned to him with a smile and said, well as we say about maureen around here it's not your fault. it's just your turn. but i have heard -- [ laughter ] i have heard that if you want to get back on his good side you give him seven compliments really fast. >> seth: oh really? and that's -- you're probably good at giving a fast compliment so you'll be back there in no time. >> right. >> seth: you also talk about a very nice relationship with a president that you maybe wouldn't have guessed which is george h.w. bush. you had a long relationship with. and tell us about that. >> well, it was sort of like a screw ball comedy, because it was like the irish working-class girl and the waspy, privileged guy who had gotten -- you know, he was taken to kindergarten in
1:28 am
a limousine in greenwich connecticut. so it took us a while to get use to each other. because i think he expected a "new york times" reporter with a name like clyde farnsworth the third who he could have a martini with and discuss the atlantic alliance and then he got me. >> seth: you give one of the most interesting facts about him that i never would have guessed. he claims, george h.w. bush claims he coined the phrase, "you da man." >> right. funnily enough -- >> seth: he believes this. >> funnily enough, for that the waspiest guy on earth, the thing he is most proud of is that in the 60s he was watching rusty staub round third base toward a homerun and he yelled out, "you da man." and he said it caught on slowly. [ laughter ] i mean he presided over, you know, the berlin wall falling and some other things but this is what he is most proud of. >> seth: he said it once and he thinks it caught fire from that. [ laughter ]
1:29 am
that is outstanding. well i'm gonna always give him credit for it. >> yes. >> seth: thank you so much for being here. congratulations on the book. it's always a pleasure to see you. maureen dowd everybody. "the year of voting dangerously" is in stores now. we'll be right back. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ i'll have that goat cheese garden salad. that gentleman got the last one. sir, you give me that salad and i will pay for your movie and one snack box. can i keep the walnuts? sold. but i get to pick your movie. can i pick the genre? yes, but it has to be a comedy. a little cash back on the side. with the blue cash everyday card from american express, you get cash back on purchases with no annual fee. throw. it's more than cash back. it's backed by the service and security of american express.
1:30 am
just how wet and sticky it's more than cash back. your current gel antiperspirant is. now we're going to show you how degree dry spray is different. degree dry spray. degree. it won't let you down. ♪ i said i really can't stay ♪ baby it's cold outside ♪ i have to go away ♪ baby it's cold outside ♪ i really can't stay ♪ baby it's cold outside! you never know who you'll meet at barnes & noble.
1:31 am
hi. hey. where's erin? uh, with my sister. but she hates kids... ok, once more. lexus rcs in? ultra white. with? premium package. santa claus! you got it! if you're going to wish, wish big at the lexus december to remember sales event. get up to $2,500 customer cash on select 2016 and 2017 models for these terms. see your lexus dealer. ♪ ♪
1:32 am
♪ ♪
1:33 am
1:34 am
♪ >> announcer: this week on "late night with seth meyers." senator bernie sanders, mindy kaling, megyn kelly, and music from megadeth. head over to itunes and subscribe to the "late night with seth meyers" podcast, and you'll get a closer look and more downloaded right to your phone, every day. ♪ [ cheers and applause ]
1:35 am
1:36 am
♪ come on, wake up!!! come on, why ya sleepin'? come on! what time is it? it's go time. come on. let's go, let's go, let's go. woooo hoooo!! yeah!! i feel like i went to bed an hour ago. i'll make the cocoa. get a great offer on the car of your grown-up dreams at the mercedes-benz winter event. it's the look on their faces that make it all worthwhile. thank you santa!!! now lease the 2017 c300 for $389 a month at your local mercedes-benz dealer.
1:37 am
[ cheers and applause ] >> seth: my thanks to julie chen, billie lourd, maureen dowd, dave lombardo, and of course, the 8g band. stay tuned for carson daly. we'll see you tomorrow. ♪ ♪ >> carson: hello there. welcome to another edition of "last call." i'm carson daly here to guide you through the night. coming up, gotham chopra and the reli o

227 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on