Skip to main content

tv   Mad Money  NBC  September 15, 2016 3:00am-4:00am MST

3:00 am
everybody okay? >> tomorrow we have more stars from "snowden." my mission is simple, to make you money. i'm here to level the playing field for all investors. there's always a bull market somewhere, and i promise to help you find it. "mad money" starts now! hey, i'm cramer. welcome to "mad money." other people want to make friends. i'm just trying to make you some money. my job is not just to entertain, but to educate and teach you. so call me at 1-800-743-cnbc or tweet me @jimcramer. strong demand is the missing panacea for this market. among the many reasons why we've developed this vicious volatility of late is a belief that demand is waning in many industries just when the fed wants to tighten.
3:01 am
dipping 22 points, nasdaq advancing just 0.36%. thank you, apple, for that. but if demand is just fine, thank you, not falling off a cliff, then we can tough this market out together. not everyone agrees. for example, at the alpha conference yesterday, the vast majority of speakers seemed to write off the prospect of any robust growth in demand either here or worldwide. if you had to boil down the barest thesis, it will go like this. central bankers are out of bullets. nothing's working. demand's declining. so we're headed into the unknown, and lurking in the unknown is a terrible abyss of losses for anyone who owns anything. stocks, bonds, you name it.
3:02 am
up guy, a person who looks at demand company by company and makes an aggregate case based on what i can put together. now, i admit that the demand side worldwide is worry some, not dangerous, but worrisome. what we saw in 2007, that was dangerous when central banks generated systemic risk by tightening into an economic collapse. we don't see the big stimulus programs, you know, the government's printing money coming out of europe. those governments led by germany are simply too cheap. i don't know what the heck the japanese are doing. whatever it is, there seems to be more demand for the new super mario bros. game than anything else. the demographics just don't support robust demand given
3:03 am
latin america is trying, but as long as venezuela is in trouble and brazil is transitioning out of trouble, don't get your hopes up. two bright spots, india and lately russia. good but not good enough. china, we just don't know if their growth is accelerating or holding steady. yesterday amidst all the gloom, i interviewed a fund manager. his name is robert bishop. he recommended a resource stock, teck resources. he said china's commodity demand is now climbing after bottoming out in the first couple months of the year. then we interviewed joe tsai, the co-founder of alibaba. he said demand is strong for everything they sell.
3:04 am
have you seen that? i think speaks louder about chinese demand than any of the usual indicators. which brings us to the united states. i find the demand story here challenged, okay? maybe some ways impaired, but not down for the count. and certainly not at all dangerous. how am i measuring demand? one input that predominates, i think, falsely, is the price of oil. we've been trapped in this macroworld as measured by commodity pricing meaning bigger fund managers look at oil as a virtual thermometer. any time the price of oil drops as it did today, plummeting $1.26 down to $43.64 any time oils rally, that's a sign demand is picking up. i mean ridiculous. this is ridiculous. the price of crude is the sum of supply and demand, okay? with supply ready to overwhelm any demand, even demand that's 10, 15, 20% stronger than it is now. when u.s. oil inventories drop as they did today, you have a fleeting rally in crude and then a decline because we recognize that there's still a glut. too much oil being produced. later as oil heads to $40 from $43, you then get a rebound
3:05 am
of an emergency opec meeting to freeze production. this rumor mongering works like a charm every time. in other words, the price of oil, it's manipulated. it's bogus. and it has little to nothing to do with the real demand we need to calculate to make our world view, even as it's the metric of choice for so many fund managers. others use the price of metals like copper and steel. one of the reasons is copper has been displaced by other materials. so what am i looking at? in the u.s., first it's employment. i'm still encouraged. i think employment is relatively strong. it's why i don't fear a rate hike as much as others. that's based on my forecast by looking back at what happened when the fed tightened in september. next i look at housing. housing demand remains strong in
3:06 am
we're talking to toll brothers later tonight and their view is pretty positive on that latest conference call. when housing is robust, that means spending to fix up a house is strong, and that's a major piece of our huge retail economy. how about non-residential construction? big chunk. big chunk of the business. i speak to several companies in every silo of non-residential from the construction loans in all geographies to the materials needed to erect buildings to the fixtures, heating, air-conditioning, lighting, ventilation companies. my judgment? things are pretty good. while i don't like the automobile stocks because the worldwide enterprise isn't as healthy as i'd like as i just said, the demand in the u.s. is strong with suvs and trucks selling very well. aerospace, strong out of boeing today. at the actual store level, it is mixed, not terrible. casual dining is not good. look at cracker barrel down $10 today. but some of that is because it's
3:07 am
price of food mentioned on the cracker barrel call. i believe there's also been a tamping of demand from increased health care bills. retailers, hit or miss. we see strength of walmart and amazon which are a huge part of the retail equation. department stores, not great all we we had a key up grade at macy's today. back to school, not bad at all. nd then there's perhaps the most overlooked gauge of demand in this country, and that's the huge and, yes, entirely unexpected increase in orders for apple's supposedly blah iphone 7. when you have sprint and t-mobile saying they have off-the-chart demands for the phone, when at&t tells us today that demand is better than expected and verizon says it's consistent with the predictions ceo lowell mcadam made on this show, that the iphone is indeed selling very well, then it's an
3:08 am
hence the terrific run in apple stock. the session's leader. we know that millennials now represent about half the consumer demand in this country and they spend on way different things than other generations including my own. they like experiences. they like games. what can you play the most high-powered games on? the iphone 7. how do you share your expenses best? with beautiful pictures taken on your brand-new iphone. you have a billion iphone users and they're willing to spend hundreds of dollars on their phones, these new ones that they otherwise wo something else because they want the processing power. they want the speed. that's pure demand. now, i know that my mosaic seems nothing but a series of anecdotes. we want someone from a -- we want a commerce department number to capture what i just put together. we want some grand inquisitor to ask questions and make sense of everything and then mind meld it with an algorithm that shows us what the economy will do given that set of circumstances. that's never going to happen. you're stuck with my anecdotes.
3:09 am
and based on the data, i think we don't have enough demand to keep the market from going lower. but we do have enough demand to contain the decline to levels that aren't dangerous. that's why i keep telling you to stay the course, because it will ultimately be too hard to get out and then get back in at lower levels. depesh in tennessee. depesh. >> caller: yes, mr. cramer. thanks for taking my call. i have a quick question about monsanto. i was just wondering it is still trading at 106 and 107. is it the right time to buy? >> no, i don't want to buy because i don't believe the deal is going to go through. i think the farmers will fight it, and the companies themselves may be misjudging the opposition by the farmers. mike in montana. mike. >> caller: thanks for taking my call. >> of course. >> caller: i'm an investor in metlife, and they are seeking to
3:10 am
an ipo. what would be the effect of the stock if they do? >> i think it's baked into the stock and you've got a 3.65% yield. it's just an okay insurer. it's not fabulous. what can i say? that's my judgment. jerry in arizona. jerry. >> caller: mr. cramer, ambarella, stock symbol amba, had earnings last week and afterwards it got hit hard. at this point would you consider this a buy, sell or hold? >> i was on the -- look, the business is good, but the stock's very expensive. i don't want to own ambarella stock. i've got too many high quality stocks that are in the semiconductors business that i think are doing terrific stuff, all this drone stuff. it's too hot for this guy. me no like hot. all right. there's no global demand number, no here's where the world economy is headed algorithm. you got to find the clues, figure out the answers and right
3:11 am
but they're far from bad enough to have me telling you to run for the hills. i say stay the course. tonight, the political rhetoric against drug prices has been tough. an investment in one major drug company. no, not yet. but i'll tell you which play i think looks compelling just ahead. then it may be fashion week in new york city, but the retailers haven't been en vogue on wall street. is it time to circle back to the sector? i'll reveal the one stock that put its beoo is it time to make a house a home in toll brothers? with mortgage applications rising this week, see if an increase in demand. i suggest you stick with cramer. >> announcer: don't miss a second of "mad money." follow @jimcramer on twitter. have a question? tweet cramer, #madtweets. send jim an e-mail to madmoney@cnbc.com or give us a
3:12 am
miss something? head to madmoney.cnbc.com. why are you checking your credit score? i wanna see if it changed. credit scores don't change that much, do they? really? i'll take it. sir, your credit... -is great right? when was the last time you checked? here, try credit karma. it's free. all right. no more surprises.
3:13 am
i used to blame the weather for my frizz. turns out my curls needed to be stronger. pantene's pro-v formula makes my curls so strong... ...they can dry practically frizz free. because strong is beautiful. oh, dishwasher, why don't you dry my dishes? oh, he doesn't know any better. you just need to add finish? jet-dry? in the rinse aid compartment. it's there for a reason. it dries much better than detergent alone. sorry dishwasher. finish? jet-dry?. for drier, shinier dishes. and open up on time. then i found aleve pm. the only one to combine a sleep aid plus the 12 hour pain relieving strength of aleve. now i'm back. aleve pm for a better am. ? ? one day a rider made a decision. the decision to ride on and save money.
3:14 am
ride on, ride proud. geico motorcycle, great rates for great rides. this has been a very tough
3:15 am
we're nearing the one-year anniversary of the infamous hillary tweet where the current democratic nominee pounced on the martin shkreli scandal to come out against price gouging. ever since then, the pharma and biotech group have been stuck in -- >> the house of pain. >> that was just the first in a parade of negatives. valiant went into freefall thanks to a vortex of accounting issues, disappointing numbers, for aggressively raising prices while slashing its r&d budget. and the obama administration blocked pfizer's attempt to take over of allergan, which would have been an amazing deal, by moving the goal post at the last minute. and then last month, mylan put itself in the crosshairs by dramatically raising prices for its epipen, a life saving product that went generic ages ago because for the moment, their main competitor has been forced to pull its alternative off the shelves. you can understand why the
3:16 am
hillary clinton continues to lead in the polls, even if the race has been tightening of late. the pharmaceutical sector has represented by the power shares pharma -- as for biotech, the i shares nasdaq bio etf has fallen more than 15% this year. it's tumbled nearly 30% from its 2015 h. against this backdrop, you might think a person would have to be crazy to buy shares in a drug stock. at least until the dust settles after election day. well, call me crazy because over the last few weeks we've been building a new pharmaceutical position in my charitable trust. we meaning me and jack moore, thestreet.com's chief investment strategist. yet we've been buying the stock of bristol-myers, the drug
3:17 am
years as the kind of high quality secular growth business that's imniced against the slings and arrows of the federal reserve. bristol's stock had gotten away from us earlier this year, but lately it's taken a high-profile beating. coming from $75 down to $55 in a very short period of time. and to me at these levels, it just screams value, even as you might have to wait a while for this investment to pay off. ph but before i explain a while like bristol-myers here, you need to understand how this $92 billion big pharma name could lose an astonishing 28% of its value in less than two months because you almost never see a large capitalization stock fall so hard and so fast, let alone a high-quality, not one of these drug -- i mean debt-fueled businesses, but a high-quality -- shares of bristol-myers entered august just a few bucks shy of their all-time highs.
3:18 am
the cause? the company now said its flagship oncology drug, opdivo, failed to meet its primary end point in a clinical trial for advanced non-small cell lung cancer, and that is a gigantic end mark. so this news was a huge setback for the company's most important drug. it particularly led to a slew of analysts' downgrades. but bristol-myers is a massive drug company with lots of products in the pipe. so then why did this one busted trial do so much damage? until we got this sub par data, bristol-myers was widely regarded in the cancer immunotherapy space. opdivo is already commercially available and and opdivo's growth has been explosive. last year it generated a billion dollars in sales and it's just the -- as soon as we learned this drug failed to meet its primary end points in that lung cancer trial, wall street suddenly soured on the entire
3:19 am
switch to a competitor, and that's the drug keytruda that merck makes. however, the reality is far more nuanced. the reason this drug failed to hit its end points is because bristol-meyers set the bar too high when they set the clinical trial. opdivo operates on a particular protein but when they set up the study, they included any patients who expressed that -- bristol-meyers wanted to show th for every lung cancer patient, but even if they set the threshold at 50%, it would have demonstrated the drug could be effective for a huge number of patients. because they set their sights so high, they got burned. so then why circle back to bristol-myers now? i mean isn't it just left for
3:20 am
remember, the stock lost $20 billion of value the first day after the news broke and since then it's only gone lower. we're only talking about a $5 billion stroke, right? $5 billion in lost sales. big, but not $20 billion in market cut big. at the most basic level we've been buying bristol-myers because the pendulum has swung from opdivo estimates being too high to them now being too low. now that analysts have completely stripped the non-sm numbers from their forecast, it's just way too much negativity baked in. as the company pointed out, they've still got a non-small cell lung cancer trial going pairing opdivo with another one of their drugs. if that trial goes well, the estimates will need to go higher. remember, even with last month's setback, opdivo already has fda approval for a host of different cancers. i don't think the strength of this drug will be totally diminished just because it did
3:21 am
designed by the company study. the fact is bristol-myers remains a major player in the hottest subset of oncology, which is the cancer immunotherapy market. this is a classic big pharma company with a host of different drugs for a variety of diseases from cancer to immune conditions to cardiovascular issues and neurologyy, and they've got a robust new pipeline even after taking the opdivo cuts into account. the stock yields 2.75% and even that's likely to be better than you'd get from the ten year treasury. i think bristol-myers represents tremendous value at these levels. one big caveat. bristol-myers is now a value investment and that requires a long-term time horizon. it could take a year, two years for the story to play out. short term things could remain choppy and there's no reason it can't go still lower. i like it into any additional weakness.
3:22 am
patiently buy more bristol-myers on the way down. so here's the bottom line. in this negative environment for the drug industry, i think bristol-myers has finally come down to the point where it's simply too attractive to ignore as a long-term investment. sure, it's not flying high right now. but bristol stock has been hammered before, and it's always come right back eventually. i think this time will be no different. stride? the stock is up double digits. then how will a rate hike impact the housing market? i'm sitting down with the number one luxury home builder to find out. and why a company like boston scientific could have more of an impact on your portfolio than any fed action. stick with cramer. ugh, this pimple's gonna last forever. oh come on. clearasil ultra works fast to begin visibly clearing up skin in as little as 12 hours.
3:23 am
stephen! stephen! stephen! stephen! stephen! see what i'm sayin acne won't last. but for now, let's be clear. clearasil works fast. this back to school, get clearer skin for free. limited time offer in stores now. we're going to prove just how wet and sticky your current gel antiperspirant is. now, we're going to show you how degree dry spray is different. degree. it won't let you down. mr. clean gets tough on dirt and grime and grease in just a minute mr. clean will clean your whole house and every room that's in it floors, doors, walls, halls he's so tough, he cleans 'em all
3:24 am
hi! welcome to the katy kat collection. my new mascara katy kat eye it's the all-day 360 cat eye ten times volume, darkness and no smudging katy kat eye and new katy kat matte lipstick from me and easy, breezy, beautiful
3:25 am
boy, it is tough to own a retail stock these days. >> the house of pain. >> lately it fee l whole group has fallen out of favor in the wall street fashion show, which has a whole different aesthetic from fashion week. here's the thing. the consumer discretionary category makes up a little over 12% of the s&p 500. most of that being retail. why does that matter to you? because there are tons of hedge funds and mutual funds out there that don't feel safe unless they're mirroring the sector rating of the s&p 500. basically they operate like an index phone with a brain. that way you're much less likely
3:26 am
the mechanics of money management, many of these funds have a lot of cash that they need to invest in some sort of retailer. in only they could continue to mirroring the sector makeup of the s&p 500. this may sound like a crazy way to invest, but it's how a lot of these guys operate. just look at the health care sector. the broader sec tore has been a dog all year, right? but the medical device stocks have roared higher because they're the one segment of the health care cohort that's actually doing well and is not in the crosshairs of the poci so all the hedge funds and mutual funds who need health care exposure pile into the medical device stocks like boston scientific, whose ceo we heard from just last night. more on that later. right now, though, it's retail that's in the dog house. but we know that baskets of money allocated for retail stocks need to go somewhere. they need a name is what we would say on the desk, which brings me to foot locker.
3:27 am
even though it's pulled back a few bucks in recent weeks, i think footlocker is exactly the kind of retailer that the big boys will feel comfortable buying in order to get the retail exposure that they need to have. what makes me say this? okay. the last time i talked to you about foot locker was in early june when the company had just stumbled. after a two-year winning streak where they only delivered knockout numbers, the stock had gotten slammed and investors were writing this one off. they decided to forget about still one more victim, of course, of the death of the shopping mall. but i told you not to be disheartened by one missed quarter. in part that's because there were mitigating circumstances like the liquidation of sports authority, a major competitor that at the time was furiously dumping its merchandise at fire sale prices before closing all of its stores. i also pointed out that once sports authority had finished liquidating, their market share would be up for grabs and beyond that foot locker had a lot going
3:28 am
innovation plan. best of all, i liked that the stock was dirt cheap, trading at merely 10.7 times next year's earning estimates. solid execution. that's why i said foot locker looked like a steal back at the beginning of june when it was at $55. sure enough, it didn't take very long for foot locker to come back with a vengeance. it's now at $65 and change. locker reported again in mid-august. this time the company was back at the top of its game, delivering a strong top and bottom line beat, solid 4.7% same-store sales growth. even better, though, the commentary on the conference call was terrific and assuaged all of our fears that had been raised by that last suboptimal quarter. management said the traffic to
3:29 am
its old strong self again thanks to new product launches in the air jordan superstar, the curry, and the kyrie platforms. the ceo said, quote, there's more work going on in basketball and we'll wait until the vendors really bring that to market to talk about it, end quote. then he continued, quote, we see good things in basketball in the back half of the year, end quote. back half of the year means holiday season. one of the reasons i like -- they literally sell sneakers that you can't get anywhere else. they tend to be the best, most fashion-forward of all the iterations of these sneaker companies. what else? the company put up very strong performance internationally. gross margin expanded by 40 base points. they didn't have a lot of inventory. one more thing. i've been a big fan of foot locker's renovation program because remodeling stores is a proven way to boost traffic.
3:30 am
indicated they remodeled about 30% of the locations worldwide. johnson said, the remodels outperformed the balance of the chain and in totality, they surpassed all of the hurdles that we have from a financial point of view, from a capital investment point of view. put it all together, and that's a pretty darn good quarter. no wonder the stock surged up 11% that same day in response. look, that's far from the only reason to like foot locker here. there's also the adidas factor. we know the popula o adidas has been making a come back after a long period. there's a reason adidas stock has rallied more than 65% year-to-date. they've been gaining traction in footwear and apparel by offering new styles with more celebrity collaborations and athletic endorsements like aaron rodgers, james harden. that's how their north american sales rocketed an incredible 26% in the first half of the year. in particular, adidas' superstar
3:31 am
resurgence because the company introduced a huge variety of new colors. it doesn't take a genius to figure out how the success for adidas -- look at this display from one of their stores. in fact, on the latest conference call, foot locker called out the strength of adidas' superstar. obviously it was good for adidas may be bad for nike and under armour, but we don't care here. why? foot locker is agnostic. the better any of the suppliers do, the better they do. even though foot locker has rallied nearly 18% since i recommended -- that means foot locker is trading at a huge discount to the broader averages. still down year-to-date after recovering from a rough start to the year. this seems wrongly priced to me. let me give you the bottom line. can foot locker gets hit if the market goes back into sell off mode?
3:32 am
but the company is doing extremely well and the stock is cheap. it will only get cheaper if it goes lower. there are a ton of money managers out there who need to own more retail stocks, and right now there aren't that many retails who are doing well enough. foot locker is one of the rare few. it's going to be their go-to name going into the holiday season. it should be yours too. jeremy in california, jeremy. calling from claremont, california. how are you doing? >> man, i love claremont. doing great. how about you? >> caller: i am doing well, thank you. hey, i'm calling about dick's sporting goods, ticker dks. >> right. >> caller: i've had it for a few months, but it seems to be at a stalemate. should i hold on to it? >> had a huge rally after we realized sports authority really was gone. i now would hold on to it. don't be aggressive. i think you can come down into the next market sell-off.
3:33 am
>> caller: how is it going, jim? >> how are you doing, troy? >> caller: doing well. how about yourself? >> i am doing well too. >> caller: question about skechers. >> it's come down a lot. it's an inexpensive stock. it has no -- there are a lot of momentum money managers in it, and they're all bailing. that stock is going to tell you when you can buy it. it doesn't seem like you can buy it yet. when you pull back the curtain on wall street, you can find some interesting activity. there are a ton of managers out there that need to own a retail stock, and i think they're going to be looking to buy foot locker, which is still cheap even after this run. much more "mad money" ahead. what should you do with -- i'm going one-on-one with one of the top players to find out. the big time money managers might be looking at this market wrong. i'll explain just ahead.
3:34 am
3:35 am
ut proper foot support can mean pain. the dr. scholl's kiosk maps your feet and recommends our custom fit orthotic to stabilize your foundation and relieve foot, knee, or lower-back pain from being on your feet. dr. scholl's. vitamin enriched to revive skin and fight 7 signs of aging your old school dance moves might show your age, your skin never will olay. ageless. today you can do everything in just one click, even keep your toilet clean and fresh. introducing lysol click gel. click it in to enjoy clean freshness with every flush. lysol. start healthing. ? yeah, click ?
3:36 am
now, we're going to show you how degree dry spray is different. degree dry spray.
3:37 am
what are we supposed to make of the home builders? despite some strong housing data, the group's been a mixed bag in terms of performance. we have to worry about this -- all the time. we think that could put a dent. maybe people won't buy as many homes. still when toll brothers number one luxury home builder in this company reported a few weeks ago, they totally knocked it out of the park. what got people so excited? toll delivers a nice top line beat but more important, headline numbers. they mattered, but it was the 18% increase in net signing contracts, 90% increase in their backlog. i thought that was amazing and the fact that management gave bullish full year guidance. since then, toll brothers has pulled back to the point where its stock is now trading below where it was before it reported, like the past quarter never
3:38 am
possible rate hike but given the stock is already down 13% year-to-date, i got to wonder if it could be just a buy. doug yearley, the ceo of toll brothers. mr. yearley, welcome to "mad money." i've followed your company since it became public and you know i know bob toll. >> yeah. >> and you're a philly guy. >> yes, i am. he's a huge eagle fan like me. the one thing that has shocked me is that w guys have never really been big buyers of stock. this year, it's an incredible amount of stock you're buying. tell us why you switched directions and just think that the stock's too cheap and you got to buy. >> we bought back about 7% of our stock in the first three quarters of 16. it was the opportunity. our book value is in the high 20s. our stock was trading in the high 20s. we have some of the best growth in the industry right now.
3:39 am
our earnings are at the top. our margins are at the top. there's been this fear about luxury that we're not seeing in this business. we saw where the stock price was laying around and this year was the time to buy a whole bunch back. >> we have a lot of retail investors. when you say book value, what you're saying is basically what this company is worth, its land, its prospects. >> that's right. if we have the leading margin in the industry, you would think our book iet that's what's confusing me. one of the things that i want to go over, you mentioned about the high end. what is the sensitivity both to the high end because that's where you are, and then to the other end where some of these stocks are doing much better than yours, but i can't figure it? an increase, say, of a half a point in mortgage rates. who does it hurt more? >> it hurts the lower end more because it comes down to affordability. it comes down to dollars and cents of what they can afford in a given month. do they continue to rent, or is
3:40 am
our buyers don't max out their mortgages. our average ltv is 70%, 20% of our buyers are all cash. this is their second, third, fourth home they're buying in their life. while a major move in rate would hurt us, a small tick will have no impact. i've always said i will take a rate that's 4%, 4.25% in a strong economy over 3.5% rate where we've been for a long time. >> right. >> in an economy that is not as good. so when the fed talks about to me is good news there might be a small rate increase because the economy is strong, yet the market is reacting short term with a sell. >> are you still buying stock? >> we haven't bought any yet this quarter. >> okay. >> but we will certainly continue to be in the market, and you will see us continue when the opportunity presents itself to buy stock back. >> is there news that is going to allow you to buy it? >> we're always balancing land opportunities we have with the
3:41 am
>> right. >> versus stock buy-back, and we will continue to balance. >> let's talk around the country. california, how is it? >> fabulous. >> really? >> fabulous. we're in coastal california, northern and southern. we're not inland. >> okay. >> we did a huge deal two years ago when we bought shapell, $1.6 billion, which it transformed the company. we now have 25% of our business coming out of california. orange county, l.a. county, ventura county, south bay and east bay of san francisco, fabulous. places? >> 1.2 million to 1.5 million on average. >> that's not a problem? >> we're killing. >> how about in the middle of the country? >> our best market is detroit. not a lot of job growth in the midwest. we're also in minneapolis, chicago. we like what's going on in michigan. there's been more job growth as the auto companies have done better, but that's not a big growth territory for us. >> florida? >> florida is good. we need more land. very hard to find land.
3:42 am
jacksonville. we're doing very well in orlando, which tend to be primary home markets. and then the second home market and the retirement areas of the gold coast of the east and the west coast, they're good. we just need more land. >> then round circle from what ha been not that great, northeast, great. >> northeast is great. you know, we dominate boston to washington. that's our home turf. we're out of philadelphia. very few big national builders are there, so we tend to dominate the land buying. we have a great brand because we grew up there. >> it's hard to find land. it's hard to grow because it's so difficult to get land entitled. it may take five years in new jersey to get a farm approved for houses. when you get it, it's gold. >> i wanted to ask you, i've been looking at this apple home kit. is that something -- is it toll brothers outfitted electronically to be able to do the kind of home kit things that we see? >> we do a lot of it. we don't use apple right now. we're looking into that. we use another company called control 4. but we're all over it. >> last question.
3:43 am
tell people what you are and how that happened. >> "fortune" magazine ranks the most admired companies by industry and we've been winning in home building. then they rank worldwide of all industries for the quality of product. and all of a sudden little toll brothers out of philadelphia is number 6 on this list worldwide. the only companies in the world ahead of us are apple, amazon, nordstrom, google, and disney. that's it. and then toll. >> i thought that was amazing. heard you, and i hear you in all different venues, that i can recall. >> you know, jim, we announced three weeks ago, three weeks into our new quarter, that our deposits, which is an indicator of what's coming because it's when somebody puts a check down on a lot, were up 23% for those three weeks. we're now three weeks further in. we are up 25%. >> that's great news. that's news. >> we're rolling. >> all right. that's great news, and i did not know that. thank you so off for sharing it with our viewers.
3:44 am
"mad money" is back after the break. marco...! polo! marco...! polo! marco...! s?? polo! marco...! polo! scusa? ma io sono marco polo, ma... marco...! playing "marco polo" with marco polo? surprising. ragazzini, io sono marco polo. s?, sono qui... what's not surprising? how much money amanda and keith saved by switching to geico. ahhh... polo. polo! fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more. polo! wi 80% of recurrent ischemic strokes could be prevented. and i'm doing all i can to help prevent another one. a bayer aspirin regimen is one of those steps in helping prevent another stroke. be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen. want to make your future more beautiful? now there's simply ageless liquid makeup it helps you look younger in three ways. so in the future when you're older
3:45 am
and easy, breezy,
3:46 am
3:47 am
>> it is time! it is time for the lightning round! when you hear this sound -- [ buzzer ] then the lightning round is over. are you ready, skee-daddy? it is time for the lightning round. i want to start with sam in florida. sam. >> caller: thanks for taking my call. >> how can i help? >> caller: my stock is macy's. i bought it two weeks ago after bad reports. should i keep it? >> you want to keep that stock.
3:48 am
i say buy, buy, buy. charlie in pennsylvania. charlie. >> caller: what do you think about my local bank, community bank systems? >> the community bank? >> caller: community banks systems, cbu. >> yeah, it's okay. you know what? i mean that group is under pressure right now because of another bank, wells fargo. but i would tell you that i think it's just an okay cheap, not enough for me. no edge. let's go to curtis in north carolina. curtis. >> caller: mr. cramer, thanks for taking the call today. i also want to thank you for your work on the ground zero program. outstanding tribute to those who served. >> thank you. >> caller: give us your take on smith & wesson going forward. >> i like the stock. i think it's too cheap. i think you want to own it during these periods where people feel it's rolling over. represents good value. jimmy in chicago.
3:49 am
>> caller: how are you doing there, jim? >> i'm doing very well but i hope to be doing better after monday night when the eagles are going to play the bears. what's up? >> caller: let's go, bears. but i had a question regarding alibaba. i've actually held it -- >> sorry. what was that? >> caller: there's some action usually in october. what are your thoughts on the long term? >> on alibaba? i have to tell you when i sat down with -- i got to admit that stock's going higher. i don't like to recommend chinese ks international stock. i think you got a good one there. i was kind of shocked at how good it does sound. i know my friends who are bears on the name can't believe it, but, wow, there is momentum there. let's go to jerry in new york. >> caller: jim, you're the master. >> thank you. >> caller: seven years ago, you did a brilliant analysis on celgene and brought on your neighbor, the ceo. i was so impressed with your homework, i even got my friends
3:50 am
we all literally thank you a million for changing our financial lives. >> thank you so. that was a good one. >> caller: zika is now in 60 countries, and spreading like wildfire. >> yeah. >> caller: there are over 80 reported cases in florida alone. it is spread by the aedes aegypti mosquito. spring in south carolina recently killed millions of bees, and god knows how many other bugs that are important to -- >> so what would the stock be in this case? >> caller: this would be the intrexon. >> i think it's a good spec for zika. it's not my favorite stock because it's expensive, but it is a good spec, and i'm not going to deny that. dick in michigan. dick. >> caller: yes.
3:51 am
>> i like that combination. just the opposite of intrexon. that concludes the lightning road. >> announcer: the lightning round is sponsored by td ameritrade. more "stay" per roll. more "sit" per roll. more "who's training who" per roll. bounty is two times more absorbent. can last longer than those bargain brands. so you get more "life" per roll. bounty. the long-lasting quicker picker upper. and try bounty napkins. wi 80% of recurrent ischemic strokes could be prevented. and i'm doing all i can to help prevent another one. a bayer aspirin regimen is one of those steps in helping prevent another stroke. be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen.
3:52 am
"what the?" "don't you know that checking your credit score lowers it." "actually, checking your own credit score with credit karma doesn't affect it at all." "i guess i could just check my credit score then." "check out credit karma today." today you can do everything in just one click, even keep your toilet clean and fresh. introducing lysol click gel. click it in to enjoy clean freshness with every flush. lysol.
3:53 am
how does the world look to you today? >> you could look at the environment, and i think it's very dangerous. >> these days it's just maddening at best. so i'll punt. >> there's just not as many opportunities. that's the reality. >> i think it's a very dangerous time in the global economy. >> if i got a hundred bucks for every time that i heard the markets around the world were dangerous yesterday, i'd be a rich man. i'm talking about the discussis managers i heard at the conference. these managers were almost uniformly concerned about the role of central bankers in propping up stocks or disporting the economy by creating artificial opportunities that will all one day be taken away, causing tremendous heartache and stress for investors. in other words, the feds set us up for failure with its easy money policies. however, i'm of a very different mind set. first i believe lower rates were and are a necessary evil, though
3:54 am
don't think these money managers know what's out there. they can't see the populist rebellion that, if taken too far, would actually be really dangerous for the global economy. and perhaps more important, they can't see how this is a market of individual stocks, not a market of markets as most imply. so they're either hopelessly removed from the stock picking process or just don't care one bit about what companies are doing to improve their situations. i'm in a different ballpark. ev i know some periodically admit their stocks are benefiting from the fed's moves or lack thereof. but their own moves are often far more important, and i believe them. yesterday, for example, after alpha concluded, i interviewed mike mahoney from boston scientific. what a breath of fresh air. i remember ten years ago when boston scientific paid a ridiculous $27 billion for guidant, a heart device company, a bid so high they they almost destroyed themselves. i would say it was one of the
3:55 am
since then, it has struggled back mightily under the leadership of mike mahoney, who has been at the helm for five years. he's now developed products that are dazzling the rest of a very competitive industry. his business is on fire to the point where boston scientific has 10% organic growth. not only that, but the company is beating its own projections, beating numbers it forecasted why? artificially low interest rates? please, monetary policy has got nothing to do with it. boston scientific's strength is about invention and ingenuity, and a competitive spirit coupled with leadership and sound financial management. but here's the issue. boston scientific is merely a $31 billion company. that's too small for most of the hedge fund managers i heard from yesterday. they have defaulted to the
3:56 am
some of these fund managers would have to own all of bsx to matter to them. that's how huge these funds are relative to individual stocks. all the work that mahoney has done, all the innovation, meaningless to them, but not to you. not to home gamers. not to the dying breed of stock pickers who would love to own a stock like boston scientific. when you hear how stocks are dangerously inflated, i want you to think of diligence and these aren't manipulated by central banks. these aren't supported by the european central bank or the fed or any other government. these companies are supported by themselves, and frankly i don't care what they said at the panel. boston scientific is trading at $23 because it deserves to be there based on what the company has done to save itself after that disastrous guidant acquisition. while that fact doesn't matter to these big dogs one whit, it sure should matter to you. stick with cramer.
3:57 am
yes. you know, that reminds me of geico's 97% customer satisfaction rating. 97%? helped by geico's fast and friendly claims service. huh... oh yeah, baby. geico's as fast and friendly as it gets. woo! geico. expect great savings and a whole lot more. oh, dishwasher, why don't you dry my dishes? add finish? jet-dry? in the rinse aid compartment. it's there for a reason. it dries much better than detergent alone. sorry dishwasher. finish? jet-dry?. for drier, shinier dishes. ?when you've got...? ?...nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!? ?nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!? here's pepto bismol! ah.
3:58 am
3:59 am
4:00 am
there's always a bull market somewhere. i promise i'll find it just for you think hillary would be able to stand up here an hour and do this? i don't know. i don't think so. i don't think so. >> the donald going off script again, getting in a dig before hillary returns to campaigning, as new information emerges about both candidates health. a fascinating study on why the u.s. economy is lagging. and uber's driverless cars hit the streets. exciting new hope in the fight against breast cancer . a new test that's four times better. >> incredible images in the wake of a massive and powerful typhoon. early today starts right now. >> i'm frances rivera.

110 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on