Skip to main content

tv   Charlie Rose  PBS  October 3, 2015 12:00am-1:01am PDT

12:00 am
>> rose: welcome to the program. tonight, we begin with the prime minister of israel, benjamin netanyahu. >> i think it's the shift of tectonic plates. i think between east and west is this malignancy of religious fee nat simple, of primitive medievalism that is rushing through the cracks. the people we checked, diversity, pluralism, debate, and they threaten our world. >> rose: we conclude with conversation and performance by ed sheeran. >> carrying on the momemtum is the biggest challenge for any artist. to get up and stay at a level for any artist is the peak but the challenge is staying at the level, to remain at the level,
12:01 am
to keep releasing records, not necessarily hits, but just connects with people. you know, i've never been worried about my records selling millions of copies, but i have been really intent on writing songs that come from me but that belong to people and people can relate to them and get into it and then they will come to the shows. the show's always the end goal. i see the album as a commercial to a show. >> rose: netanyahu and sheeran when we continue. >> rose: funding for "charlie rose" has been provided by: american express. >> rose: additional funding provided by: >> and by bloomberg, a provider of multimedia news and
12:02 am
information services worldwide. >> rose: we begin this evening with the prime minister of israel here in his hotel room in new york. we talked to him after he addressed the united nations and talked ability his concern for israel's national security. he talked about iran and iran nuclear deal, he talked about the palestinians and syria, all subjects we want to talk to him about this evening. i am pleased to have this opportunity to talk to him before he returns to israel. mr. prime minister, thank you for joining us. >> good to be with you, charlie. >> rose: let me turn to syria. russians have created a stronger military force there. their planes attacked moderate arabs. he says he's going in to prop up assad. tell me what you know from your own intelligence sources about
12:03 am
what's happening on the ground. >> well, i went to see mr. putin in moscow a few days ago, and he told me his goals pretty much as he enunciated them here, and i said, well, i have different goals. you know, i'll not intervene in the internal conflict in syria, it's a mess, but i will protect my country's security, so we will not allow iran to build a second terror fund, not tolerate the use of syrian territory to attack or rocket our cities and will act to prevent the transfer of arms by iran and others from the territory of syria into hezbollah's territories and bases in lebanon, and this is our red lines and we act on them. i think it makes sense for
12:04 am
russia as well not to get back into an adversarial position that we were in decades ago. i think it's important to make sure we don't collide and that was the purpose. >> rose: the purpose was to make sure that you don't collide, that there is no conflict -- >> collision is exactly the word. no collision. deconfliction is the jargon. what a horrible word. >> rose: how would it take place? >> our deputy chiefs of staffs will meet in a couple of days along with our military people to try to delineate. i don't know if we'll succeed but we'll try because we don't want a conflict with russia and russia doesn't want a conflict with us. >> rose: does russia want a conflict with the united states? >> i doubt it. an overt clash? i don't believe it. >> rose: there is also this in this conflict -- russia announced they're sharing
12:05 am
information with iran, iraq and who else? >> well, hezbollah because hezbollah is basically iran's sidekick. hezbollah is iran's battle and i don't think we should prop him up and i have not intervened. i have one goal to protect the security of israel and prevent the attacks. i think i've made it very clear to president putin on what will happen in syria. >> rose: what's the worry. excuse, syria. you can have one of two horrible outcomes. one it becomes completely dominated by iran who is going to get now hundreds of billions of dollars which it can arm them. it's given hezbollah alone, one
12:06 am
terrorist organization, a billion dollars a year. >> rose: what are they doing? they're taking sa-22s, anti-aircraft sophisticated weapons, putting them in lebanon to shoot our planes, supersonic missiles, cruise missiles to shoot down our oil regulars, and iran is putting sophisticated precision-guided missiles, in additiono the 180,000 -- >> rose: but are you -- but are you protected from all of that because you have the iron dome? >> part of it. we welcome and appreciate america's support but it's not enough. >> rose: have you shared the iron dome with anybody? >> shared wit the united states. >> rose: and that's it because they helped you build it? but no other country? no other country? >> i'll check my files. >> rose: you know better. i'll check my files. >> rose: you know better.
12:07 am
i do know er? who shares the iron dome? who has the technology other than you? have you provided it to anyone else? >> not yet. >> rose: will you? maybe. it depends. >> rose: who? it depends. >> rose: what would it depend on? what does it depend on? >> well, wing of the things you worry about, charlie, i worry about is that if you have a -- proprietary secret that protects you against the rockets coming down on our head, i'm not wanting to share that secret with -- >> rose: how about sharing it with russia? >> no, that didn't come up. russia is supplying iran with sophisticated anti-aircraft batteries, the f-300, which will likely give iran a sense of immunity. they can attack us from lebanese
12:08 am
and syrian territory and we cannot attack them. that's an equation we can't accept. >> rose: do you have any doubt that putin wants to destroy i.s.i.s.? he wants to join the united states and anyone else to destroy i.s.i.s.? >> yeah, so... >> rose: do you have any doubt that's his motive? >> i'm sure he does. >> rose: and he also has the motive of wanting to increase his own respect and relevance to the middle east. do you w welcome that? >> well, time will tell. i think the important question from our point of view is does he pursue his goals or does he let iran pursue its goals against us? these are two different things. iran is preparing a noose of war around our boarders. iran is placing now very soon 1500 troops next to our border. tonight that could be 15,000 troops. iran openly declares its commitment to destroy the state of israel.
12:09 am
we're going to act in our defense. by so doing, we'll exercise our right of self-defense, but i think it's important and was important for me to try to make sure that we don't collide with russia, and i don't think russia wants to participate in those goals of iran or hezbollah. so it's very important to try to separate that, to parse it out. i hope we did. >> rose: the united states would like to see assad no longer the leader of syria. they do not know who they would like to see replace him. they would like to see negotiations. they would also like to include iran and other neighbors in that process. do you have a problem with that? >> yes, i do, because i think iran has been the source of assad's power, they're propping up assad. they're making a power grab there, in yemen, they're arming all our enemies everywhere. they're in iraq, in afghanistan. they're not your friend.
12:10 am
they're your enemy. yes, you made a nuclear deal with them. we disagreed about that and it was a disagreement president obama and i both said. >> rose: abram said today obama had a vendetta. that's what elliott abrams a friend of israel said. >> does he speak for the president? >> rose: i don't believe so. does he reflect the belief of the israeli prime minister? >> president obama called me at the the height of the debate on the nuclear deal with iran and he said i would like to talk to you about bolstering israel's security. we can do it while the debate is going on or after it's concluded. i said, well, let's do it after it's concluded. this is the day after. this morning, i met with secretary of state john kerry, and we started talking about bolstering israel's security in the face of reality.
12:11 am
that deal -- the first deal is simple -- we have to make sure iran abides by its obligations. but the second thing is we have to make sure that we block iran's aggression. >> rose: and how do you want to do that? >> strengthing israel, number one. providing it with the means to defend itself but also to address the larger -- >> rose: but tell me how you would do it. what's your strategy to you to restrict the activities of iran, the so-called behavior which was not part of the nuclear deal? >> number one, aggression -- the stronger israel, is the weaker the iranian aggression against israel, and israel can be strengthened, with defensive weapons and other systems to make sure that iran knows that it will not succeed and it will pay a price. that's not only my view, it's the view of just about every
12:12 am
arab government in the region, and if you can't get them to say it on charlie rose, take them to a side room and you will hear them say. there is a massive -- >> rose: what will the emirates and the jordanians and whoever else you're referring to say in the side room to the prime minister of israel? >> what will they say? >> rose: yes, what would they say. what are you saying their private position, is not their public position? >> well, i think they're also expressing themselves publicly about their concern with iran's aggressive behavior. >> rose: they supported the nuclear deal. >> you really want to get into that? >> rose: yes, i do. i'm the foreign minister. i'm the senior diplomat of israel. >> rose: do they not support the deal publicly or not? >> i think it's well known what they think. >> rose: so you're saying what they said is not what they
12:13 am
think? >> i'm saying they're very concerned about iranian aggression. charlie, this is not a court of law. in the real world where we are, everybody knows that iran is making a grab for conquest in the middle east. not dominion, not all fine words like paradigm which i will not let my staff use, they want to conquer the middle east. their deputy commander of their army said this is our order, conquest, destruction of israel. everybody in the region understands this danger. now, this danger will be increased because iran is going to get mega bucks, and i think -- >> rose: mega bucks because of the deal and sanctions being eliminated? >> sure. >> rose: and mega bucks means, what, $100 billion? >> to start with. >> rose: and how much of that will end with hezbollah and other groups? >> if 2% end up with them it's
12:14 am
huge money but i think a lot more over the years. the important point is we agree on this -- >> rose: we being? israel and the united states. we agree we have to take care, as president obama said, on countering iran's aggression. we have to agree that we have to bolster israel, ensure its quality military edge. the president said all that and i appreciate that and i look forward to meeting with him in november. i think this is a source of agreement because both the supporters of the deal and the opponents of the deal agree that israel now has to be strengthened in the face of these new iranian challenges. >> rose: but doesn't the record show that the obama administration has done as much in terms of military support for the government of israel as any previous president? your own ambassador has said that. >> yeah, i don't discount that. >> rose: there is no question they have in terms of military support and that aspect of the
12:15 am
relationship as much as you could expect them to do, is that right? >> deeply appreciated. >> rose: but that's right? you're confirming that? >> of course. i think the problem is military strength is always relative. all strength is always relative. it's relative to the new challenge that we face from iran and it is growing, and it is serious, and it is something that threatens us and threatens the entire region and i think that we have to close ranks, cooperate very closely and build the defensive and deterrence against iran, and there is one country that stands in the breech -- breach, against militant iran and that's israel. >> rose: stands nu the breach -- in the breach because of your geographical location? >> yes, and our values. we fight these fanatics and
12:16 am
we're willing to place ourselves in the breaches and by doing so and defending ourselves we defend the regions around us. >> rose: do you think russia came in because they saw a vacuum of leadership? >> i think russia has its own goals and ambitions and i think there is something bigger happening than personal policy. >> rose: what is it? i think it's the shift of tectonic plates. i think between east and west is this malignancy of religious fanaticism, of primitive medievalism that is challenging and rushing through the cracks. these people that reject diversity, pluralism, debate, and they threaten our world. i think iran of the two forces is the more dangerous one because it is the preeminent islamic state and, yes, it's seeking nuclear weapons and everything else, submarines,
12:17 am
rockets. >> rose: do you think they will get nuclear weapons at some point? >> i have said yesterday in my speech in the u.n., i said that israel will not let iran sneak in or break in or walk in to the nuclear club. >> rose: what was that staring them down that you did, staring down the u.n. >> staring down the u.n. -- it celebrates its 70t 70th anniversary, 70 years after the holocaust in which it pledged to workday in and day out against genocide and then the leader called for genocide of my people, the murder of the citizens of israel, my countrymen and practically nobody said a damn thing. >> rose: just to accent that thought, what did he say? >> he said israel will not exist
12:18 am
in 25 years and that every day in those 25 years life will be hell. >> rose: what do you say to the people of snirlz. >> i don't think we just move on, cheal. charlie. this is unimaginable. did we learn anything from history? does it mean you can conduct genocide and express your decision to make another genocide? you not only deny the murder of 6 million jews but you also promise the destruction of another 6 million jews, the 6 million jews of israel and the world sits back? oof course -- >> rose: i understand. tell me what you want the world the do? >> to deny it and help us thwart it. >> rose: deny what? deny the language or the possibility? >> both. >> rose: but there is also this -- some say you came to the u.n. to say i'm putting the iran
12:19 am
nuclear deal -- this is the last i'm going to say about that, that i am moving on to what is a larger battle against the extension of iranian power and resources. is that a fair statement, that you realize that you have to move beyond the deal? you fought hard, do you feel like you lost? >> look, i think that i had to speak up. i didn't have a vote around that table, but i have a voice, and the jewish people seven years ago had no voice to even speak out about those who would terminate us. what i do now and i suppose that's the first responsibility of the prime minister of israel, i think that what we have to do now -- and this is what i'm focused open -- is the future. number one, make sure they keep
12:20 am
their obligations. number, two defend against iran's aggression in the region. number three, tear down its global terror which includes terror cells in this hemisphere as well. >> rose: i heard you say that. do you think i'm not talking about concrete things? iran is building terror cells in this hemisphere. >> rose: give me your best example of that. >> i've given it to the relevant governments. >> rose: your best example where iran. >> well, tried to murder the saudi ambassador in washington. that's a pretty good example. >> rose: that was thwarted. with respect to iran, do you believe that you have the unconditional support of the president of the united states
12:21 am
with respect to your battle against iran in has the deal, the iranian nuclear deal changed anything? >> look, i think we had, as we said, disagreement in the family. i don't think we have disagreement about israel's right to -- >> rose: well, that's not the question, though. is there any question about the president's support for you and what you believe about iron? are you on the same page with respect to the threat and the action required? that's the question. you have the unqualified support of president obama and therefore the u.s. government? >> i think we have the support of the president, the president of the opponents of the deal for strengthening israel against iranian's aggression.i think itt discuss with president obama and the administration the details of what we see as the growing
12:22 am
iranian threat supplanted by a lot of money and what we can do with it. >> rose: and you think the nuclear deal enhanced the iranian threat? >> i think the lifting of sanctions and the money that will now flow into iran with very fat contracts will fill up their coffers. i know they were strapped for cash. i know they were doing whatever they did when they didn't have cash, so i expect them with a lot more cash to menace us and others a lot more. i think this is it. we have to separate between these two things. the deal has been concluded but it has ramifications -- one, to make sure they keep it and, second, to make sure that they don't use the proceeds to conquer the middle east and destroy my country, which i think would be not only a moral
12:23 am
collapse -- it won't happen, we won't let it -- but something that would also threaten the vital interests of the united states of america. >> rose: do you think anything will change their behavior? they say there is a strong reform element in iran. >> look, i hope i'm wrong, but when you reward bad behavior, it doesn't become good behavior. >> rose: let me close with this. two things. one, you don't seem to be concerned about russia at all. the whole world is talk about russia in syria and the military presence there and their effort there. you don't seem to be concerned. you seem to view russia as your friend. >> i was concerned must have to go to moscow. >> rose: you went to moscow to make sure there was no conflict. >> a pretty good reason. >> rose: but the secretary of defense of the united states ash carter had the same conversation with the defense minister in russia and a lot of people are
12:24 am
having those conversations. >> rightly so. >> rose: you don't seem to be concerned -- let them play a role, they're a big country, they have a friend in assad, let them come in and be part of the solution? >> look, i didn't invite them to come in. >> rose: do you regret that they came in? >> would it make a difference? >> rose: well, why can't you say? let us know what the prime minister thinks about the presence of russia in -- >> i don't like the fact that russia is supporting iran's vassal, bashar al-assad, whose brutal regime murdered -- >> rose: do you share the turkish view? >> i have problems with the turkish view on anything because i don't know where they stand,
12:25 am
but i view bashar al-assad regime as a murderous one and i am not happy when russia and iran which includes bashar are in cahoots. my role in israel is to protect it from the possibility of deterioration and that is why i went to moscow and i hope it worked. that was my goal. >> rose: you had a resounding electoral victory in israel. many people didn't expect it would be as big as it was. how many terms as prime minister do you want to serve? you already will be the longest -- is second longest serving. >> who's counting? >> rose: how long do you want to be the prime minister and what do you want your legacy to be? >> i want to serve as long as i think i can help protect the country and build our future. >> rose: and do you believe
12:26 am
you're israel's best chance to do that? >> i think my role is to be the guardian of israel. >> rose: do you believe that iran is a bigger threat than i.s.i.s.? >> yes, i do. >> rose: do you think the president thinks i.s.i.s. is a bigger threat than iran? >> i don't know, but i think they're both threats and, you know, when your enemies are fighting each other, don't strengthen either one. weaken both. >> rose: and iran and i.s.i.s. are enemies? >> sure. they both want to have the world ruled by militant islamic. >> rose: it's good to see you. thank you for sharing your time with us. >> good to see you, charlie. >> rose: thank you. thank you. >> rose: we are very pleased to have ed sheeran here. the "new york times" called him an unlikely pop star phenomenon. the video for his single,
12:27 am
thinking out loud, has been viewed over 730 million times on youtube. he has shared the stage with musical royalty like sir elton john, beyonce and the rolling stones. his concert film debut chronicles three night sold out run at windham stadium. here is his trailer for jumpers for goalposts. ♪ >> now reality's hit and there's 40,000 people. >> one, two, three... (singing) >> this is my first show. when you play acoustic guitar
12:28 am
and start off in the pop circle, your dreams don't really stretch that far. (singing) >> i think this is the most important milestone so far. this is real people buying real tickets to sit with 8,000 other people to come and watch me play. (singing) (cheers and applause) >> went to brooklyn to the show then for a pizza with beyonce and then do a dive bar. weird. (singing)
12:29 am
>> rose: it's a pleasure to have you here. here's the album in vinyl. it's an extraordinary thing. i read the numbers. i mean, you are -- i don't know how to say it other than a phenomenon. how would you characterize what you're experiencing? >> you know, i've always had an ethos of just working harder than anyone else i admire and respect and trying to be nice. my dad always told me to choose someone you admire and work hard and be like them. when i worked at atlantic records i saw james bond sold 10,000 records. i said, i want his diary of that year, and we did everything we did plus twice as much. >> rose: worked twice as hard. and we ended up selling half as much but now on this record we sold more, so it's working. >> rose: and other than hard
12:30 am
work, what else is at the core of this? are you writing lyrics people just connect to? >> i don't know. i've only written songs from the heart. i don't really see the point of making music if it's not an expression of self or form of therapy. if i have a bad day, i want to write a song. i don't want to write a song to have a hit, i want to write a song to have it make me feel better. so it's never been about the audience or pleasing people or trying to fit in. it's just been about myself and my love for music. i guess that's come across. >> rose: music is your therapy, your catharsis? >> definitely. well, i think other people have different ways of letting off steam, you know. friday night, you finish work, you go to the pub, have a pint and go home. some people go to the gym,
12:31 am
taekwondo. mine is writing songs and getting things out, anger, aggression, happiness, love. >> rose: tell us how that happens. >> i don't know if you've ever done this, but i used to do it quite a lot, like when you're angry or something you write an email or a letter to that person you write everything down and don't give it to them. it's just about getting it out. it makes you feel better. you write it and read it and don't send it? is it like a fire hose that pours out. >> i can go three weeks without writing one song and in a week write 20. >> rose: what turns it on? in my experience, time to write, because i'm quite busy. i've made this album on tour and i'm making the next one on tour. it's about finding time. i have a mobile studio in every dressing room and hotel room and
12:32 am
in between doing meet and greets and the digs i'll try and write a song and on the bus, so it's about finding the time to make it happen. >> rose: you opened for the rolling stones. they wanted to hang out with you. ♪ i'll never be your beast of burden ♪ >> i've done a lot of surreal things. the rolling stones being one of them. i had lunch with them the other day. had breakfast with van morrison. he was really sweet even if i've with one told me he wouldn't be. random things of people i love and admire keep popping up and they say they like the record. >> rose: elton john? elton was probably the first person to co-sign it. he cosigned it in 2010. i didn't break here till 2012. >> rose: but he's, in fact, a little bit of a mentor?
12:33 am
>> h he owns the management company, yes. (singing) he's one of these people that has a phenomenal career but he's really messed up a lot of times and done a lot of bad things as well as a lot of good things. he's achieved phenomenal things with his music but also in his personal life done the worst things. he's been heavily addicted to drugs, broken up relationships and fallen out with people and he can look back on it as a better person and be able to speak to me and give me advice on that.
12:34 am
>> rose: and even a father now. >> he's done everything. so when he speaks to you and says, maybe don't do that, you take his advice, whereas, like, there is a lot of people -- i always meet people that sit down and talk to me and they're, like, don't go off the rails. people i don't even know are, like, be smart, don't go off the a rails. i don't care about their advice. if i was going to go off the rails, i would, doesn't matter what you will say. but if elton sits down and says, calm down here, mate, you listen to it because he's been through it? and if there is something you can learn because some things cost him years. >> well you need to make your mistakes but i definitely don't want the take the route he took. >> rose: about what taylor swift? >> she's miss america. she owns pop music in america. she had heard -- >> rose: she can stand up to apple and everybody else. >> yeah, she's a very, very powerful figurehead in music.
12:35 am
i had broken the rest of the world. i was touring australia and quite a big hit there while she was touring australia and she had my song -- heard my song on the radio and invited me to tour with her in the states. i had already toured the states about five times. i had just played radio. we were at that level where there were 5,000 or 6,000 people, and she was playing to 100,000 people. she gave me the american stamp of approval because she is miss america. she said i think this is good and kind of opened the doors in america which is nice. >> rose: wimbley, three concerts over three days. wimbley stadium! it was interesting. >> rose: not a pub.
12:36 am
a stadium. >> it was difficult to comprehend because i don't play with a band. i use a pedal which is all live. wimbley was even like, even in an arena, i thought i couldn't do an arena, but when i did an arena and it was fine, i said, might as well try wimbley. the the worst that could happen is you fail but you still sold wimbley. >> rose: how many people were there? >> 87,000. >> rose: 87,000. yeah. it's a big old stadium. but the thing, is if you fail, you've not lost anything, and if you achieve and make it good, the possibilities are endless. >> rose: you've rejected the idea of a band? >> for now. for now. >> rose: because to have the music you want to -- because of the music you want to create or some other reason? >> i'm in control of everything i do and if i want to go on a
12:37 am
tangent halfway through a gig, i just do it. or if i mess up, i can rectify it without having to have anyone else worry about it. i think i'll definitely have a band at some point. the thing that people keep coming up and saying they like about me is i don't have a band, so i think why change it. >> rose: what's the biggest challenge for you now. >> carrying on the momentum. i think that's the biggest challenge for anyl, so keep rels that are not necessarily hits but just connect with people, you know? i've never been worried about my records selling millions of copies, but i have been really intent on writing songs that come from me but when they go out they belong to people and their people can relate to them and get into it, and then they'll come to the shows. the shows are the end goal. i see the album as a commercial
12:38 am
to a show. buy the album or download or stream the album or however you listen to the album and you think i want to see him life and you go to a show. >> rose: everybody wants you to be part of their thing. (singing) ♪ we'd be all night ♪ we'd be all night ♪ love >> there are different tiers in my career and i feel i stepped up to the next one. it's not the same tier as beyonce or coldplay, but i feel it's not that far away whereas the beginning, i'm constantly looking out there, but it doesn't feel that far.
12:39 am
>> rose: how do you feel about the growth of the music? because you seem like the kind of person that's what's crucial to you to make sure that for all this commercial success that there is also the growth of the artist. >> i'm really excited about that. i'm, like -- the best thing about having successful albums off your own back is you start to get less and less people giving you an input of what you have to do. on my first record, there is a lot of people telling me what they thought i should do. i would listen to them and say this is my first record. i now do whatever i want to do, which is nice, because there is no one telling you what songs to put on your album and i want it to be all an expression of self and be as interesting as possible. >> rose: so thinking out loud, 720 million views. 720 million views on youtube. how does that happen? >> that was a conscious
12:40 am
decision, actually, because there is, like, certain things you can do to make a music video go viral, which is quite a difficult thing to do nowadays, so you have to just do something that makes someone click on the video, watch it and say i have to share that with ten people. i never appear in my music videos. i always make a little cameo if i appear at all, and i'm not a very svelte person, but i wanted to make a music video where i shot the video. it was basically doing the opposite of what anyone thought i was as an artist and then seeing it and everyone was, like, that's weird.
12:41 am
and they shared wit lots of other people and it blew up. the reason i chose it was i knew that song was the biggest on the album. to do the most standup -- >> rose: you don't have a conscience about looking a certain way at all. >> i never sold or bought a record based on anyone's looks. all the people i look up to and admire are not conventionally attractive people. elton would say that he was not a conventionally attractive person, paul simon, james taylor, joni mitchell, paul mccartney, they're not all conventionally attractive people but they make good music. i feel like nowadays there is a pressure for people to look a certain way so they can fit on a magazine, but no one looks like that. normal people tonight look like models and that's why normal people buy into the music. not like adelle sounds nice not
12:42 am
because she's trying to be anybody else. >> rose: authenticity. she has incredible music and that's what people buy into. i've never tried to look any other way. i do always find myself looking at people sometimes being, like, should i? and then none of them sell as many. i'm, like, why? >> rose: no, you don't need to do that. tell me about living and being a musician today where social media is paramount. >> i think what i've learned about music today is no one has to buy your record anymore. no one has to. usually, they buy your record if you're a likable person. taylor is incredibly likable. you have to be a likable person for people to like you.
12:43 am
for people to be likable, you have to get to know them. everything is very instant and it's, like, your personality coming out through something, and you'd find kids, instead of being, like, oh, well, i'm going to illegally download the album because i want to hear it, they'll think, i think they're a nice person and i'll support that and buy the album. i think that's an important thing. i've never been proven, anybody who comes across as a dick doesn't sell records. >> rose: you think that aspect of your personality will come out and have people turn out? >> yes. if i was in the '70s and there was a newspaper article it could or couldn't be true. but youtube footage, it's there and happened. it's important to be a good
12:44 am
person in music. at a certain level, everyone who's mid tier are very nice. everyone who's very self-conscious about themselves, they're the ones who get it. >> rose: as successful as you are, are artists getting a fair treatment in a world of spotify and apple music and all the downloading of music that way? >> i don't want to be a spokesman for anything. i love playing live, so what spotify does for me is allows me to play very large venues around the world. >> rose: increased your popularity. >> places like norway, you can't buy a record in norway. it's just spotify so if you don't have spotify you don't play in norway. i'm a big advocator of life. if you make a record and tour
12:45 am
it, 96% of my income comes from life, and we still sell a lot of records. >> rose: like most artists today? >> live separates who's able to do it. if you can't play a musical instrument or sing live, you shouldn't be a musician, get a different job. >> rose: if in fact your success is based on a whole lot of technology and people -- >> yeah, well, i think it's different things. i think, like, live is where i really, really enjoyed, someone like taylor, like when you're going to see taylor's show live it's a spectacle and the songs come to life and there is lots of things going on but it's still at the core, like, music, but she's someone who sells a phenomenal amount of tickets as well. i figure if you can't sell tickets because you don't have a good live show, you shouldn't.
12:46 am
>> rose: what happens on a live show that you do. >> i kind of walk on stage and one of the first things i say is my job is to entertain you, your job is to be entertained. eth basically grabbing them in and going we're all in this together. i'm willing to lose my voice and sweat if you're willing to do the same thing. >> rose: kind of a bruce springsteen approach, too. >> i have been influenced by many people. i've watched a coldplay d.v.d. numerous times and taken many tricks chris martin does with the crowd. even if it's just sing this part here. one thing i learned quite early on as my friend wanted to go and see u2, and he paid money to be up front and was there, and bono goes, now you sing! and my friend was like this, no! no! you sing, i paid the to come and see you. so every time i play, i make
12:47 am
sure i do the whole song and then the sing along happens. so i'll make sure people get what they paid or and then, like, because having the crowd sing it back is the most amazing thing in the world, and i kind of wanted to have that for the whole concert, but i couldn't, so i try to give as much as i can. >> rose: do the tattoos tell a story? >> yeah. i'm a very strange person and i'm quite eccentric at times and these tattoos can be viewed by someone as quite an ek eccentric thing. every single tattoo relates to something important to me in my life or my career. like this one is called henry matisse. it's of a mother and child. it was the first thing i bought with a paycheck for my mom, i bought her a drawing of mother and child.
12:48 am
these three boxing gloves are the first. i sold out madison square garden three times. my grand-dad was a boxer. this is for my grand-dad who is irish. this is my first gig in canada. i have a song. there is lots of stuff. it all relates to people say, what are you going to look like when you're 80, and i think i'll look awesome. >> rose: your life story will be there. >> yeah, you will have your grand kid on your lap pointing at things. yeah, that's when your grand-dad went to do this and that. i like it. i haven't got anything on my body that's pointless. you know how people get, like, ruins and tribal tattoos just because they look cool. that, when you grow up, isn't going to be great. people may think i'm going to look like a sad, ugly, colorful
12:49 am
old man but i will be happy because i will have all my memories. >> rose: didn't you have a new one recently? >> a lion. >> rose: why a lion? that was for a show. it's the biggest you can play in england and no one ever does it. it's a big achievement to do and the english crest, you have eagles, american bald eagle, we have three lions. so the england show would be three lions. so i wanted to get a lion on my opinion chest, i wanted it to be as big as possible and be the centerpiece of all the stuff i've done in my life leads up to this point. a lot of people think it's odd but i really like it. i think you don't have to see it every day. it's under my shirt. i like it. you don't have to see it. >> rose: the documentary? yeah. >> rose: jumpers for gold posts.
12:50 am
>> american doesn't get this because a sweater is called a jumper. in school when you play football in the park you take off your sweater and put it on the goalpost. playing shepherd's empire, that was the first goal. then you move to academy and wimbley. >> rose: you said you never thought about playing wimbley because it seemed like outof teach and became in reach. >> my point is when you move the goalpost you see the next one. >> rose: are you a savvy business person, too? >> i don't likely care about business but i care about the music that i put out so i guess i'm savvy in terms of my music, but i don't dash. >> rosedon't -- >> rose: your core belief is it's good, it will sell. >> no, if it has heart, it will
12:51 am
sell. anything with heart sells. anything that makes anyone feel something will sell. that's why films like "the notebook" or "sophie's choice," like "saving private ryan," anything that pulls on you. anything can be good, but anything that connects with human beings on a personal and heart level will last. the album in the last ten years is good because it's just pain pouring out. >> rose: and is the pain pouring out of you? >> pain and happiness and -- >> rose: emotion. a couple of happy songs are there, but to be honest, i'm a happy person because i get all the pain out in the songs. my pain might not be on the scale of anyone else's but it creates music. >> rose: i'm impressed you go to africa to look and feel new sounds. >> yeah, i just know a lot of
12:52 am
very talented musicians from that side of the world. the thing i like about it is there is no other reason to make music other than to make music. you go to l.a. and everyone is publishing, want to play in your band, but when you go anywhere else in the world where there is not really like a hollywood or grammy system, they just make music for the hell of it, they don't make money, they make music because they love it, i want to get back to that a little bit because i have been surround bid so many people who make money off me, i just want to sit in a room of people who just want to play music. >> rose: thank you. are you going to play something for nee? >> yes. (singing)
12:53 am
♪ i fall in love with you every single day ♪ ♪ i just want to tell you i am
12:54 am
♪ take me into your loving arms ♪ ♪ kiss me under the light of the stars ♪ ♪ place your head on my beating heart ♪ ♪ i'm thinking out loud ♪ we found love where we are ♪ when my hair's all gone and my memory fades ♪ ♪ and the crowds don't remember my name ♪ ♪ when my hands don't play the strings the same way, mmm...♪ i know you will still love me the same ♪ ♪ 'cause honey your soul could never grow old ♪ ♪ it's evergreen
12:55 am
♪ and, baby, your smile's forever in my mind and memory ♪ ♪ i'm thinking about how people fall in love in mysterious ways ♪ ♪ maybe it's all part of a plan ♪ ♪ well, i'll just keep on making the same mistakes ♪ ♪ hoping that you will understand ♪ ♪ that, baby, now, now ♪ take me into your loving arms ♪ ♪ kiss me under the light of a thousand stars ♪ ♪ place your head on my beating heart ♪ ♪ i'm thinking out loud ♪ maybe we found love right where we are ♪
12:56 am
♪ oh, maybe we found love right where we are ♪ ♪ and we found love right where we are ♪ >> thank you very much. captioning sponsored by rose communications captioned by media access group at wgbh access.wgbh.org
12:57 am
12:58 am
12:59 am
1:00 am
>> announcer: this is "nightly business report," with tyler mathisen and sue herera. big disappointment. fewer jobs than expected were created last month, raising concerns about the economy and changing the conversation at the fed. reversing course. stocks fell sharply, then staged their biggest upward reversal in four years as investors tried to figure out how to invest in today's market. doing good. meet the entrepreneur who had the bright idea to grow his business while giving back, one pencil at a time. all that and more on "nightly business report" for friday october 2nd. good evening, everyone, and welcome. a setback for the job market and an unusual day for the stock market. today's employment report came as a surprise and not in a good way,

53 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on